User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

Learn more about Diazepam.

ICU Agitation 1 reviews 13 medications

Endoscopy or Radiology Premedication 2 reviews 78 medications

Tetanus 1 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Diazepam reviews 425 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Diazepam

For Anxiety: "I have been taking 5mg Valium for the better part of 25 years. I was a huge drinker with a problem so I gave up the booze 12 years ago. However I have had major problems sleeping so I take a valium at night. Doctors hate given me Valium and it really blows me out as I don't drink and don't take illegal Drugs [ I did take heroin in the late 80s and some speed .. ]. I Haven't had drugs like that since 1980. I went two years without Valium and didn't bother me at all. I don't care what they say I will take valium until I die and I love the sleep I have. I have never taken one during the day because I don't wish to go to sleep or feel that way.."

peterredd (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I find these are excellent medication Top Notch!"

Happy Hippie (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I was given 10 mg of diazepam for these crazy muscle spasms I get. Usually after work when I try to relax on my recliner is when these spasms will kick in. I am also waiting on a hip joint replacement that I will never afford. Last week after taking 10 mg of diazepam not only did my spasms subside but the pain in my hip has substantially decreased. Very manageable pain. Only the diazepam was taken no pain pill of any kind were take. I stopped taken the diazepam for 5 days and the pain and spams returned. Start taking it again and pains has subsided along with the spasms."

Brutus1951 October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Muscle Spasm: "I take 5mg as needed at bedtime. I have severe muscle spasms, shoulder, and neck pain. I use aleve, advil, and diclofenac and still have pain. I was waking up with terrible tension headaches before using this. I only take it when I feel the tension at night. Regarding other comments on addiction - I have taken benzos for YEARS (on/off and never daily) and I have never become addicted. If taken only as needed, it's a great drug."

SunflowerRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Meniere's Disease: "I suffered along with many young G.I.'s at Ft. Jackson SC who from an attack of Viral meningitis that hospitalized those of us affected for two to three weeks. Suffered progressive ringing in one ear and eventual total functional hearing loss. Military Dr's wrote it off as affect of change in humidity etc. Diagnosed with Meniere's syndrome 8 years later. Rx'd 5mg diazepam prn and have been using sporadically ever since. The Rx stops the spinning dizziness before nausea sets in. IT WORKS ! I am 72 now and have been using it when needed for 36 years now. It does little for the ear buzzing/ringing and fullness. But does wonders for the dizziness and prevents nausea and vomiting."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This may seem really strange but I swear I seem to have more focus when I read very complex material. Is that normal? I found myself behind in law school because of Hurricane Irma that left me without electricity and becoming increasingly behind with the material because of power outages. I took one before I started working on it and I feel wonderful and unaffected by the stress of trying to catch up. Very interesting. Was wondering if anyone had similar experience . . . ."

abogado September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I've tried most of the muscle relaxers - flexeril (cannot tolerate), skelaxa (unfortunately cannot tolerate) and Robaxin (not quite strong enough) for a tight and unrelenting piriformis. 5mg of good old fashioned Valium takes care of it in the evening. Too bad it's sedating otherwise it would be my go to med during the day for this tight muscle - that despite loads of PT, massage and stretching I am unable to get to let go. I really appreciate Valium for this!"

Boterosmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: "My blood pressure was 270/120 and had to work through many drugs before this one lowered my anxiety and blood pressure. At 20 mg a day usually take all at night time for sleep to. Side effects sometimes headache. Strong addiction and should be weaned off it slowly or your head will hurt non stop for a month. A nightmare to stop cold. It lasts eight times longer than Xanax or Klonopin they are two brothers not to mess with. At first you may have the sedated effect before you become more resistant to the drug. Where you get the drug also makes a difference. Some stores give the yellow tablet which melts in mouth as clean as water. Other stores have an orange tablet that tastes like paper. Walmart has the good one and some grocery but not CVS."

Brian H.H. September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: "Was previously on lorazapam and switched to Valium in February. Since then I never felt relief and suffered every day from anxiety. It didn't matter if I took 2mg or 12mg I didn't feel better and in fact I felt more anxiety. A week ago I decided to stop it cold turkey and every day since I have felt 90% better. I'm going through some withdrawal like tinnitus and night time sweats but I wake up better and have been feeling happiness. I strongly recommend staying off any benzodiazepine and if you are going to take it, only for bad panic attacks. Never take them daily as they are very addictive and quite difficult to get off of. They say that benzos are more difficult to get off of than heroin. Try Gabapentin for anxiety."

PM17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: "I have suffered with anxiety and severe panic attacks for many years. It is a GODSEND. Initially anyway. I have noticed over the years I've had to increase the dose I take (which I've never taken daily). 5mg of diazepam (Valium) never did much for me. But 7.5mg used to have a perfect effect. These days I need 15mg for that same affect. Its a shame. And I thought I wasn't abusing it because I didn't take it daily. (Generally 2 or 3 times a week, depending how I felt). I'm still giving it a high rating for the many times its helped me. But even taking it as PRN has eventually caught up on me. If I don't take it for several days I start feeling sick. Devastated to lose a medication that can work so well."

PatchRight (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I am on Diazepam to treat Stiff Person's Syndrome and related anxiety symptoms: fear of heights, open spaces... Anxiety, stress and loneliness are increasing, though muscle spasm and stiffening attacks no longer occur"

L M-S (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Never tried diazepam for anxiety or any other medication I also tried it for RLS . Its really effective but hard to stop and withdrawals are hell. I also acting like a zombie have risky sexual behaviour with this."

Ganya Adling (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention: "I have been taking diazepam three times a day for seizure prevention and myoclonic spasms. I have been taking this combination of diazepam with Keppra and have had no seizures for five years. Before that I suffered partial seizures and Grand Mal seizures while on only one anti-seizure medications. Sincerely bestpup"

bestpup (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I have taken this for different reasons and since 1972 I have had the dosage changed same amount but different time to meet my current need. Making the dosage 6 mg total per day. I take it in the am, mid afternoon. bed time. collectively 6 mg. How ever, I am now into eye injections for wet macula degeneration. I take 2 mg before I go in for inj. it is not pleasant, but working well for me. I use my walker a good part of the time to keep good balance. I also practice yoga. I do have a difficult time with meds. so, I stick with this. but have added magnesium as a relaxer helper . It work wonders. I am in my 80's, and doing well. The degeneration of the macula ,being the worst part. But I do very well, an am greatful for the valium as it works."

spinal stenosis sciatica, August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have been on Valium (diazepam) for 40 years, have never had any side effects, great drug. If prescribed properly, no one should ever have any problems with this drug if prescribed properly, & if taking it for the right reasons."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Muscle Spasm: "You know perfectly well this drug is HELL and the withdrawal of it is obscene if you even make it. How DARE Doctors not let patients know this up front. It is criminal. For years this withdrawal issue has been known and HIDDEN from patients and even doctors. It has ruined my life and many others. MILLIONS of others. SPEAK UP."

maryjuneopper August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I would like to say that diazepam is very useful I only take it when I can't take control of my breathing and get to the point of thinking I'm going to faint, I must say as I don't like taking these pills I take the lowest dose, 2 mg which might not even help me sometimes but other times will make me feel drowsy and make me go to sleep, I don't like taking higher dosage for the plain reason of wanting to be in control of my body, I don't want to fall asleep if I don't want to, or have a deep sleep and stop breathing, this I know is part of my anxiety, being scared of these things, so the only bad thing I can say is that depending on he dose you can feel sleepy and not function properly, for example I wouldn't dare to drive"

Forever anxious (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "5mg to 10mg every morning gets me through the day without sleepiness nor euphoria side effects and makes me feel completely “normal”."

WillN (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've suffered day upon day with extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I have tried all sorts of medications but they just made me feel like a zombie and couldn't function. My GP prescribed me 2mg diazepam and I have to say this stuff has been amazing. My anxiety has reduced but when I'm in having a bad day they are brilliant as a quick release. No side affects at all just a sense of calm :)"

Scimmy (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medication is amazing for me. I have severe anxiety. It was affecting me at work, at home. I was having anxiety attacks and felt like I couldn't breathe constantly. It was terrible plain and simple. I was lucky to find a psychiatrist who had an immediate opening and was accepting new patients. She started me off on 5mg of diazepam. I took it and with in 30 min I started to feel relief from the anxiety. I take it once in the morning, once in the afternoon and take 2 pills before bed and it's helped me so much. I love it. I don't abuse it and don't recommend anyone to abuse it. You can build a tolerance to it so your doctor might adjust your milligrams. This is a quick fix for anxiety but will not help in the long run."

AdamH123 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Now 77 years old, I have Depression with mild anxiety. I am white married male with Mild Cognitive Impairment. First took Valium (diazapam) first pill 5 mg in grad school 40 years ago, for acute anxiety and slept for 14 hours. Have been taking on and off, mostly for a nights sleep. It has had a beneficial effect over all, when taken perhaps as little as once a week. Now, going through difficult times, I'm up to 10-20 mg to get to sleep, as being awake worrying is more harmful. I'm approaching addiction, yet my choices is depression, and agitation that only makes things worse. So, I'm a bit of a zombie, not good, but seems better than agitated depression (if there is such a condition)"

Al R June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I had nasal surgery (septoplasty/latera splints) (1st surgery scheduled & 2nd was emergency surgery in 8 day span). During consultation I mentioned that I'm not a mouthbreather and was anxious about breathing issues (not being able to breath or stop/dying in my sleep). He gave me Valium to assist with the anxiety. This medication is wonderful...it's only short term for me as I'm recovering from post-op traumatic experience. Took it twice daily during the first 11 days now I take it only at bed-I feel rested when I wake up and I'm not crying/shaking/emotional when asked about the surgeries (yes it was horrible bc thats how they found out I'm allergic to silicone). I will be coming off this med in a month or 2"

Small cow (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: "I used to be on Klonopin for years and I think it helped but I'm not sure since I was also on Paxil. It came to a point where neither were working for me even at higher dosages so I started taking Ativan. This really helped my anxiety but it would come back every morning. Eventually I hit tolerance and had to increase it. Eventually I hit tolerance again and I found myself feeling more anxious than ever. I decided it was time to get off. The doctor put me on Valium because it's easier to taper off than any other benzo. He suggested I could take anywhere from 4mg to 10mg per day. I slowly tapered down to 1.5mg but I was miserable. I reinstated and went back up to 6mg and have also tried 10mg and it has never worked for me. Stay away from it"

PaulMartin16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: "I take Valium 2mg PRN for panic attacks. I was nervous about using it. I also had this warped idea that I would be labeled a pill head for taking a drug like Valium. I can honestly say that Valium is a life saver. The first time I took it all I could think about was how I regretted not taking it sooner. I can actually live my life now. You have to be careful though. It is very easy to build a tolerance to it. Use the lowest amount you need, because You would be surprised how much of a difference 1 mg will make. I have been trying to use it as a tool rather than a crutch. I also have ADD and Valium helps me fall asleep at night when I feel restless"

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: "I have bipolar 2, generalized anxiety disorder and suffer panic attacks. I am given Valium 5mg to take 'when needed'. While I feel it works well on generalized (mild to moderate) anxiety, it's not the most effective medication to take to during acute episodes like in a panic attack. I feel the 5mg isn't enough. Also if you take it even every few days, it pretty quickly becomes less effective meaning you may have to increase the dose. I now take 10mg as needed. It's very helpful, and I find it to be very effective, but perhaps not strong enough during acute panic attacks, but in general this medication is a blessing."

Kieran P May 12, 2017