User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Valium, Diastat, Valtoco, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol

Diazepam has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 688 ratings on Drugs.com. 82% of those users who reviewed Diazepam reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
Tetanus
Summary of Diazepam reviews 8.5 688 reviews

Reviews for Diazepam

Glo May 11, 2021

For Anxiety: “I’m 81 years When I was 40 one day at my beauty shop I felt like I was passing out. I couldn’t move except call 911 I think I’m have a stroke. I was in ambulance shivering with tons of blankets on me. They called physician and gave me an injection of something. Within 20-30 minutes it passed. When I saw my doctor he said he ordered diazepam and that I had had an anxiety attack. That was when I was about 40. So I’ve been on it for about 40 years. I have never taken more than prescribed doses . Sometimes less but I carry it constantly. Doctors no longer try to withdraw me . Look I feel no bad side effects when on it . Answer is long but I hoping it helps others for feeling awful because we take it. Just never abuse it.”

mikeyst22 April 22, 2021

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “this saved my live after an antipsychotic Dystonic Reaction from Haldol”

Rache · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2021

For Muscle Spasm: “I have herniated discs in my neck which causes terrible pain between and around my shoulder blades and down my left arm. I also have herniated discs in my lower back and pain goes into my left hip and left leg. With fibromyalgia added onto this days can be pretty bad to say the least. For the past 6 years I can honestly say there is nothing I haven’t tried..root blocks, trigger point injections, Botox, physio, acupuncture, possibly every home remedy going and all the nasty meds eg. Gabapentin, Amitriptyline etc and nothing has worked except Diazepam! I honestly don’t know what I’d do without it, I only have the 2mg tablets and use them for emergency’s only as doc really reluctant to prescribe regularly and seems like I’m not the only one having this prob after reading other reviews here. So when my pain is at it’s max, when I can’t literally move as my back is in so much spasm that’s when I take it, rest of the time I just have to put up with the pain daily.”

Quinn · Taken for 10 years or more February 9, 2020

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I have been on Valium since 2011 after the sudden passing of my husband. I have always had severe generalized anxiety and was never adequately treated for it, just given seroquel which made me non-functional. The loss of my husband exacerbated the anxiety condition and I began suffering from insomnia as well. My Dr tried me on a variety of benzodiazepine meds which didn’t last long enough in my system to give me adequate relief. We eventually gave diazepam a try and it worked so well. I started on 20mg a day and over the years I have tapered to a comfortable dose of 10mg daily. It does not make me sleepy or loopy but takes the edge off enough that I can care for my children and function in daily life. Yes there is a bit of a dependence but for me it’s worth it to be somewhat addicted rather than struggle to cope with terrible anxiety symptoms every day. I do recommend Valium as an effective anxiolytic however I would say to be aware of the potential for abuse and dependence.”

John · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2020

For Anxiety: “Diazepam work very good for my anxiety with no side effects. But I'm sick of doctors trying to take me off it. Why? I don't abuse it, I often just take 10mg. And because Diazepam is long lasting it often builds up in your system so sometimes I skip a days dose. Most of these doctors have never had severe anxiety & have no idea how debilitating it is when you cannot sleep, concentrate or even swallow food because of severe anxiety. Without this drug I often cannot go outside. That is no life. I hope some day people with mental health conditions get proper support instead of cruelty.”

Magwell68 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “In 2015, my surgeon gave me 10mg Valium to help with post-op anxiety. I took it twice, but 10mg knocked me out, so I’d split the pill and take 5mg. I also have severe anxiety and depression and am prone to panic attacks, but I’d never taken meds for it (never asked). I had a couple panic attacks during recovery, took 5mg Valium, and it was like night and day. In 15 minutes I felt calm, relaxed and “normal” again. I rarely have panic attacks now, but my anxiety can be severe, so I’ll take a 1/4 pill (2.5mg), and it takes the edge off. I find the effects last for quite a while, and rarely have to take more than 2.5mg/day, and rarely take it more than 2 days in a row. I feel “normal” most of the time, but when my anxiety is too high, I’m glad I have it to take the edge off. I don’t have an addictive personality, so I don’t know if I’d ever feel like I “had to” take it to feel good, I just take it when nothing else is helping my level of anxiety go down.”

Deedle · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 14, 2020

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I use Valium for anxiety, very low dose half a pill, only when needed. 15 Valium tablets last me 3 months on average as I only take them for panic attacks. I’m not addicted. When Valium is used correctly your tolerance level stays the same and you have no side effects here, because I don’t take them daily ...”

shapel · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “Valium is a drug that can be a life saver or destroyer. This drug for me helps me as long as I have it under control. I find myself always having to be wary of my dosage. This allows me to pretty much go about my normal life, allows me to function, think and gives me the motivation and willingness to do the things I need to do. When on these and under control I find a lot of aspects of my life all coming together where as without it I feel helpless. Too much valium daily however leads to depersonalisation and impulsiveness. Before you know it you will be turning into something else, it is only in hindsight that this becomes apparent. As quickly as this can help improve your life it can crumble it. CONTROL YOUR DOSAGE. So if you can control yourself absolutely I would recommend but be wary it is very easy to lead yourself down the path of a benzo addiction, I have done this become clean and reused several times now.”

Lennyg · Taken for 10 years or more November 13, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Muscle Spasm: “Been using Valium for over 25 years for sciatica and anxiety. Saved me from potential hospital visits for both my conditions. I use 10 mg about 3 to 4 times a week. I have stopped when conditions were better for up to a month without any withdrawal problems. Valium is a wonder drug when not in the hands of abusers who get all the attention necessary to cause its false accusations as a problem drug. It is a problem for some just as alcohol is a problem for many that cannot restrain from abuse. It should be unlawful for employers to define what medications my doctor prescribes to me or anyone. We have let the lawyers and the ignorant decide what allows us to survive in this chaos of repression we call a free society. Robot doctors are overriding the decisions prescribed by my doctor of over 40 years. Hippocratic oaths are now broken in the name of government infringement on our rights. ”

Valium · Taken for 10 years or more December 28, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “Been taking Valium since April, 1969 after I blacked out while working for NASA. This is Jan., 2019, tried to lower the dose so limit my use. During Two weeks I had another blackout. Once I started talking Valium I had no other issue's with think clear, nor had any more black outs. I am a Viet Nam Veteran, 77 years old. Some doctors will not give you Valium if you are 75 years old.”

Asuka February 11, 2021

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I am in grief after my Son and Grandson passed away. I am a totally natural medication person. But I went to see a Dr My 1st in 21 years. I do not get ill. Have not had flu in those years as well. The Dr recommended 5mg of Valium. I take a quarter to sleep@times And@times I take it day time. I have had no addiction to it. And have no desire to take more. So all I can say is. Thank You Valium. For helping Me. Arigato”

AnxietyMike · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2014

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I've been on just about every benzodiazapine there is and Valium (diazepam) is all around the best for combating debilitating anxiety symptoms. It may not be the most potent benzo, but it has wide and equal benzo effects including sedation, muscle relaxation, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and can be used for insomnia. Now the main reason why Valium is the best is its extra long half life. It's effects can linger for days which is helpful if you have chronic anxiety. It also prevents those ups and downs short acting benzos cause like Xanax and Ativan. Another thing to note is withdrawal from Valium is by far the most mild out of ALL the benzos. This wonderful medication is an oldie but goodie.”

Painman · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I have been dependent on morphine and oxycodone in high doses for 20 years than someone suggested suboxone worst decision of my life. I was on it for 8 months and it worked as directed,I was very happy but started reading about PAWS (Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome) and started to wean down well anxiety, panic attacks and confusion hit me like a ton of bricks. Bupernephrine is a horrible drug to get off of. I would rather have gone thru full opiate detox than those. Tried Klonopin, Xanax both were a waste and very addicting! But I was tried on one 10 mg Valium and I have not felt that normal in ages. I am very leary of any pharmaceutical and don’t take it daily sometimes I put it away for a month. It has truly given my life back but I’m still on a drug. I want to be off everything and I don’t know if that will ever be. But for now I’m not clenching my teeth all day and tossing all night so I’m grateful. Thanks doc for taking a risk on me.”

BS1976 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “After taking Xanax off and on for years, I developed a problem with it making me more anxious when it wore off, like a lot of heart palpitations, sweating, fear. I was switched over to Valium 6mg for two years and then advised to withdraw to see how I went. I’ve spent the last six months tapering and been off for 7 weeks and I’m miserable. I have returned PTSD and depression. So, I guess I didn’t go well and am going to reinstate 2mg a day to get my life back. When I take it I have no side effects and feel alive. I didn’t hit tolerance before. I say yes to Valium if you need it to feel normal and don’t abuse.”

PatientWAnxiety · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “My prescription says I can take 5m to 10mg if I have an anxiety attack (or sleep problem) and I am allowed to repeat if I need it 12 hours later. It takes me many months to go through 30 tablets. I think it works well and it doesn't make me feel vegged out. *Note I can't report on using it for sleep. I'm very concerned with anyone taking it everyday as I think this is begging for problems with addiction and tolerance. I've gone without it for over a month so I think the take it only as needed is the best way to avoid addiction. For those saying things like never take a Benzo? Chill out your problem is not everyone's experience.”

Relaxed November 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I'm a Vietnam vet. Panic anxiety attacks. This medication Valium works very well with me. it is truly the only medication that I have taken that takes the insomnia away I can relax I can go about my day it works very well I'm very well pleased with it I have no more anxiety panic attacks. I take 10 mg two times a day... And since I'm a veteran all my medication is free so I paid nothing for it..”

DrSteel · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

For Anxiety: “I'm a 74 year old Vietnam vet. I've had moderate anxiety issues since 1970. I didn't go on Diazepam until 1975. I've been on it ever since. It changed my life. I was able to have a very successful career and productive life. I've been in and out out therapy off and on over the years. It did not really help. The only thing the keeps me calm and functional is the once a day 5mg dose of diazepam. I would like to get off it and have tried several times without success. My anxiety level ramps up to the point where it's not manageable. This is probably the only major drawback. I have not experience any bothersome issues or side effects. It has been a life saver for me. I've never had to increase the dosage after all these years.”

Momof4 · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “This drug has given me my life back. I no longer feel an overwhelming amount of fear and anxiety which left me sluggish and “frozen” I now feel as if I can do my normal chores and errands without any hesitation! I do feel tired at times And then at times like I have lots of energy but I feel better than I have in years!”

Teah · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “Hi I have bad anxiety daily it has worsened since I stopped taking codeine for pain caused by my tooth. Now I have panic attacks daily. My mind feels dazed and I zone out. I am on on Valium and it calms me down but last night I had a attack and I couldn't calm down my body was calm but my mind was still freaking out thinking I am going to go insane has anyone else felt this”

Anonymous October 19, 2015

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I have had very bad anxiety since I was in my teens. Tried all sorts of other tablets nothing worked for me. I couldn't leave the house, no girlfriends. Then I was put on valium (diazepam). I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night and have done for 24 years. Changed my life. Got a great job, married, 2 kids, never took more than I was given. The doctor's tried to get me off it, I tried to come off it but went back into my head,fear off going to work, fear off going out. So went back on diazepam and was able to work, be a husband, Father. This drug saved my life. It makes me so mad because off dope heads selling it and given it a bad name. The only thing is make sure you stick to your dose, and never just stop taken it.”

Hanginginthere · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2021

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I have PTSD, severe anxiety, panic attack disorder, insomnia and depression. I am in recovery, but at one point it was all so bad I reached psychological burnout. I no longer felt nor had energy. This drug has been my savior. This is the only drug that instantly diffuses panic attacks and flashbacks. I manage to only take it as needed, some days I don't need any. But just knowing it is there is enough to make me feel like it's gonna be ok. I am grateful I have a wonderful doctor who understands and actually helps me. I have felt withdrawal symptoms in the past, and I can see how it can be addictive. But for someone suffering for so long for something to take away the panic attacks without resorting to drinking etc, I am so grateful.”

Seven · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2019

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “Excellent drug, just make sure to use it as prescribed. It is good for anxiety and also very helpful with muscle and lower back issues (slipped discs). Long term use will need a slow taper for some people as this chemical is a GABAergic and all drugs in this class should be tapered. I have used long term with no ill effects or issues.”

Wot sit January 17, 2017

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “I was suicidal aged 25. Anxiety and Depression. Diazepam saved my life. I started on 5mg 3 Times a day for a week cut down to 2 for a week then one at night under doctors orders. Also one Prozac in the mornings 20 mg. I felt better straight away. Don't let anyone scare you from taking Diazepam, yes they are addictive BUT my quality of life since taking it has been as a (normal) person. I really can't praise it enough as I know I wouldn't be here and living a good life without it. If the tablets help then why not take them. Thanks for reading.”

Liz1980 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 20, 2013

Valium (diazepam) for Anxiety: “All of my life I've had varying levels of social anxiety & agoraphobia, usually without any logical cause. Even riding in cars made me unduly nervous. I had a rough, fear-filled childhood and that seemed to set me up for chronic nervousness. But there's no room for that in adult life. Valium eliminates the unnecessary anxiety & also helps with muscle spasms from my fibromyalgia. I don't get fatigue from this during the day. I do find that taking one before bed helps me relax my 100-miles-per-hour brain (stupid racing thoughts & worries) plus my muscles don't get all kinked up in knots while I'm sleeping. I've never needed to increase my dose on it even after several years, since it works as well as the day I started it, personally.”

Headcloud · Taken for 10 years or more September 7, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “Diazepam is MUCH more effective for fibromyalgia pain. I also have 6 herniated discs, pinched/damaged nerves, and arthritis in my spine and all joints. In addition to that, I have severe, non-stop chronic tinnitus in my right ear, as well as RLS and RBD. Diazepam is the one drug that treats ALL of these conditions. 20mg at bedtime helps me sleep, and lasts all day. I hate how benzodiazepines have become demonized. They are some of the safest, most studied, most effective drugs on the market. Diazepam provides people with an extremely improved quality of life where they would otherwise be suffering. SSRIs and SNRIs come with risk of withdrawal syndrome equal to or worse than benzodiazepine withdrawal. The difference is, benzodiazepines actually work, whereas SSRIs and SNRIs are placebo. No other drug on the market can treat so many conditions so effectively.”

Truth · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I suffer from 14 ruptured discs & numerous Pinched Nerves in my Cervical, Lumbar, & Thoracic Spine; Mylofascial Syndrome; Radiculopathy; Sacroiliitis; Sciatica; Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis; & Severe Migraines. I have been on & off Valium, Diazepam, NSAIDS (gave me 2 ulcers), Neurotin, Gabapentin, Zanaflex etc. Nothing except for Valium or its generic Diazepam has ever helped as much for my severe Muscle Spasms & nerve pain! I have taken myself on & off Valium/Diazepam several times just to ensure the medication was helping or needed. I have never been addicted to or asked to increase my prescribed dosage of Valium/Diazepam. This medication kept me working over 10 years longer than I could with out it. And provides a Quality of Life I couldn’t have w/o it. Medications such as benzodiazepines & opiates are safe when used as prescribed!”

BMW Guy February 17, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed Valium (Diazepam) 10mg as needed up to 3x daily 4 1/2 years ago for tension headaches. I also am diagnosed with GAD/PTSD and Panic disorder. After taking the drug for so long I have discovered how affective it is. I can enjoy life in a way I have never experienced. Going to the Movies, out in crowds, traveling by plane, I even lost my stutter, the list goes on. I suffered an Aortic Aneurysm rupture in 2014 because of a stressful phone call. Now there seems to be draconian measures in place to stop all use of this drug. For those of us who don't abuse it I don't care if it is physically addictive. The benefits out weigh the negatives in my case. Now I must find a Doctor that understands that my case is Mental/Physical. I still have an abdominal aneurysm and must fear my own adrenaline because that one can rupture the same way. I was lucky last time but next time there is no way to save my life.”

Sheeba · Taken for 10 years or more December 11, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I have taken this medication for 10 years I have multi level degenerative disk disease and an autoimmune disorder I take ten mg a night. It has stopped a lot of the muscle spasms and some of the pain along with oxycodone 30 mg a day never a side effect, which is more than I can say for the rest of the garbage they gave me. Now the Dr's are afraid to prescribe and I am back to trying all those horrible meds that have many side effects and no relief. I also got only 2 weeks notice before they quit prescribing it to me. After ten years this medication is great and after working so hard at being useful and never abusing this or any other med I do not know what to do. This medication is great for me I know it does not deserve the bad rep it is getting.”