User Reviews for Diazepam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Valium, Diastat, Valtoco, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol

Diazepam has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 375 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 81% of those users who reviewed Diazepam reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Diazepam

mikeyst22 April 22, 2021

Valium (diazepam): “this saved my live after an antipsychotic Dystonic Reaction from Haldol”

Anonymous March 28, 2021

“21 years on benzodiazepine Valium is one of the best, plus it saved my life from a dystonic reaction, on Haldol HBP was 190/110. I got to the hospital they gave me 5mg ML in the IV I was stable in 7 minutes my vision was back to normal.”

Luvdogs... · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2021

“Have noticed recently, since COVID began, that the Almus diazepam are not the same as they used to be, in fact I believe they have watered down formula. They do not have the same calming effect! At first I thought it was just me but when I got a new prescription I tried a different brand and they work fine. What is going on and has anyone else noticed this too...It is Boots chemist that give out the Almus brand and they are well known for using the cheapest meds....”

Quinn · Taken for 10 years or more February 9, 2020

Valium (diazepam): “I have been on Valium since 2011 after the sudden passing of my husband. I have always had severe generalized anxiety and was never adequately treated for it, just given seroquel which made me non-functional. The loss of my husband exacerbated the anxiety condition and I began suffering from insomnia as well. My Dr tried me on a variety of benzodiazepine meds which didn’t last long enough in my system to give me adequate relief. We eventually gave diazepam a try and it worked so well. I started on 20mg a day and over the years I have tapered to a comfortable dose of 10mg daily. It does not make me sleepy or loopy but takes the edge off enough that I can care for my children and function in daily life. Yes there is a bit of a dependence but for me it’s worth it to be somewhat addicted rather than struggle to cope with terrible anxiety symptoms every day. I do recommend Valium as an effective anxiolytic however I would say to be aware of the potential for abuse and dependence.”

John · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2020

“Diazepam work very good for my anxiety with no side effects. But I'm sick of doctors trying to take me off it. Why? I don't abuse it, I often just take 10mg. And because Diazepam is long lasting it often builds up in your system so sometimes I skip a days dose. Most of these doctors have never had severe anxiety & have no idea how debilitating it is when you cannot sleep, concentrate or even swallow food because of severe anxiety. Without this drug I often cannot go outside. That is no life. I hope some day people with mental health conditions get proper support instead of cruelty.”

Magwell68 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “In 2015, my surgeon gave me 10mg Valium to help with post-op anxiety. I took it twice, but 10mg knocked me out, so I’d split the pill and take 5mg. I also have severe anxiety and depression and am prone to panic attacks, but I’d never taken meds for it (never asked). I had a couple panic attacks during recovery, took 5mg Valium, and it was like night and day. In 15 minutes I felt calm, relaxed and “normal” again. I rarely have panic attacks now, but my anxiety can be severe, so I’ll take a 1/4 pill (2.5mg), and it takes the edge off. I find the effects last for quite a while, and rarely have to take more than 2.5mg/day, and rarely take it more than 2 days in a row. I feel “normal” most of the time, but when my anxiety is too high, I’m glad I have it to take the edge off. I don’t have an addictive personality, so I don’t know if I’d ever feel like I “had to” take it to feel good, I just take it when nothing else is helping my level of anxiety go down.”

Deedle · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 14, 2020

Valium (diazepam): “I use Valium for anxiety, very low dose half a pill, only when needed. 15 Valium tablets last me 3 months on average as I only take them for panic attacks. I’m not addicted. When Valium is used correctly your tolerance level stays the same and you have no side effects here, because I don’t take them daily ...”

shapel · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

Valium (diazepam): “Valium is a drug that can be a life saver or destroyer. This drug for me helps me as long as I have it under control. I find myself always having to be wary of my dosage. This allows me to pretty much go about my normal life, allows me to function, think and gives me the motivation and willingness to do the things I need to do. When on these and under control I find a lot of aspects of my life all coming together where as without it I feel helpless. Too much valium daily however leads to depersonalisation and impulsiveness. Before you know it you will be turning into something else, it is only in hindsight that this becomes apparent. As quickly as this can help improve your life it can crumble it. CONTROL YOUR DOSAGE. So if you can control yourself absolutely I would recommend but be wary it is very easy to lead yourself down the path of a benzo addiction, I have done this become clean and reused several times now.”

Valium · Taken for 10 years or more December 28, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “Been taking Valium since April, 1969 after I blacked out while working for NASA. This is Jan., 2019, tried to lower the dose so limit my use. During Two weeks I had another blackout. Once I started talking Valium I had no other issue's with think clear, nor had any more black outs. I am a Viet Nam Veteran, 77 years old. Some doctors will not give you Valium if you are 75 years old.”

Asuka February 11, 2021

Valium (diazepam): “I am in grief after my Son and Grandson passed away. I am a totally natural medication person. But I went to see a Dr My 1st in 21 years. I do not get ill. Have not had flu in those years as well. The Dr recommended 5mg of Valium. I take a quarter to sleep@times And@times I take it day time. I have had no addiction to it. And have no desire to take more. So all I can say is. Thank You Valium. For helping Me. Arigato”

Painman · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “I have been dependent on morphine and oxycodone in high doses for 20 years than someone suggested suboxone worst decision of my life. I was on it for 8 months and it worked as directed,I was very happy but started reading about PAWS (Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome) and started to wean down well anxiety, panic attacks and confusion hit me like a ton of bricks. Bupernephrine is a horrible drug to get off of. I would rather have gone thru full opiate detox than those. Tried Klonopin, Xanax both were a waste and very addicting! But I was tried on one 10 mg Valium and I have not felt that normal in ages. I am very leary of any pharmaceutical and don’t take it daily sometimes I put it away for a month. It has truly given my life back but I’m still on a drug. I want to be off everything and I don’t know if that will ever be. But for now I’m not clenching my teeth all day and tossing all night so I’m grateful. Thanks doc for taking a risk on me.”

AnxietyMike · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2014

Valium (diazepam): “I've been on just about every benzodiazapine there is and Valium (diazepam) is all around the best for combating debilitating anxiety symptoms. It may not be the most potent benzo, but it has wide and equal benzo effects including sedation, muscle relaxation, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and can be used for insomnia. Now the main reason why Valium is the best is its extra long half life. It's effects can linger for days which is helpful if you have chronic anxiety. It also prevents those ups and downs short acting benzos cause like Xanax and Ativan. Another thing to note is withdrawal from Valium is by far the most mild out of ALL the benzos. This wonderful medication is an oldie but goodie.”

BS1976 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “After taking Xanax off and on for years, I developed a problem with it making me more anxious when it wore off, like a lot of heart palpitations, sweating, fear. I was switched over to Valium 6mg for two years and then advised to withdraw to see how I went. I’ve spent the last six months tapering and been off for 7 weeks and I’m miserable. I have returned PTSD and depression. So, I guess I didn’t go well and am going to reinstate 2mg a day to get my life back. When I take it I have no side effects and feel alive. I didn’t hit tolerance before. I say yes to Valium if you need it to feel normal and don’t abuse.”

PatientWAnxiety · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “My prescription says I can take 5m to 10mg if I have an anxiety attack (or sleep problem) and I am allowed to repeat if I need it 12 hours later. It takes me many months to go through 30 tablets. I think it works well and it doesn't make me feel vegged out. *Note I can't report on using it for sleep. I'm very concerned with anyone taking it everyday as I think this is begging for problems with addiction and tolerance. I've gone without it for over a month so I think the take it only as needed is the best way to avoid addiction. For those saying things like never take a Benzo? Chill out your problem is not everyone's experience.”

Relaxed November 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “I'm a Vietnam vet. Panic anxiety attacks. This medication Valium works very well with me. it is truly the only medication that I have taken that takes the insomnia away I can relax I can go about my day it works very well I'm very well pleased with it I have no more anxiety panic attacks. I take 10 mg two times a day... And since I'm a veteran all my medication is free so I paid nothing for it..”

DrSteel · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

“I'm a 74 year old Vietnam vet. I've had moderate anxiety issues since 1970. I didn't go on Diazepam until 1975. I've been on it ever since. It changed my life. I was able to have a very successful career and productive life. I've been in and out out therapy off and on over the years. It did not really help. The only thing the keeps me calm and functional is the once a day 5mg dose of diazepam. I would like to get off it and have tried several times without success. My anxiety level ramps up to the point where it's not manageable. This is probably the only major drawback. I have not experience any bothersome issues or side effects. It has been a life saver for me. I've never had to increase the dosage after all these years.”

Momof4 · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “This drug has given me my life back. I no longer feel an overwhelming amount of fear and anxiety which left me sluggish and “frozen” I now feel as if I can do my normal chores and errands without any hesitation! I do feel tired at times And then at times like I have lots of energy but I feel better than I have in years!”

Teah · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “Hi I have bad anxiety daily it has worsened since I stopped taking codeine for pain caused by my tooth. Now I have panic attacks daily. My mind feels dazed and I zone out. I am on on Valium and it calms me down but last night I had a attack and I couldn't calm down my body was calm but my mind was still freaking out thinking I am going to go insane has anyone else felt this”

Anonymous October 19, 2015

Valium (diazepam): “I have had very bad anxiety since I was in my teens. Tried all sorts of other tablets nothing worked for me. I couldn't leave the house, no girlfriends. Then I was put on valium (diazepam). I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night and have done for 24 years. Changed my life. Got a great job, married, 2 kids, never took more than I was given. The doctor's tried to get me off it, I tried to come off it but went back into my head,fear off going to work, fear off going out. So went back on diazepam and was able to work, be a husband, Father. This drug saved my life. It makes me so mad because off dope heads selling it and given it a bad name. The only thing is make sure you stick to your dose, and never just stop taken it.”

Seven · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “Excellent drug, just make sure to use it as prescribed. It is good for anxiety and also very helpful with muscle and lower back issues (slipped discs). Long term use will need a slow taper for some people as this chemical is a GABAergic and all drugs in this class should be tapered. I have used long term with no ill effects or issues.”

Wot sit January 17, 2017

Valium (diazepam): “I was suicidal aged 25. Anxiety and Depression. Diazepam saved my life. I started on 5mg 3 Times a day for a week cut down to 2 for a week then one at night under doctors orders. Also one Prozac in the mornings 20 mg. I felt better straight away. Don't let anyone scare you from taking Diazepam, yes they are addictive BUT my quality of life since taking it has been as a (normal) person. I really can't praise it enough as I know I wouldn't be here and living a good life without it. If the tablets help then why not take them. Thanks for reading.”

Liz1980 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 20, 2013

Valium (diazepam): “All of my life I've had varying levels of social anxiety & agoraphobia, usually without any logical cause. Even riding in cars made me unduly nervous. I had a rough, fear-filled childhood and that seemed to set me up for chronic nervousness. But there's no room for that in adult life. Valium eliminates the unnecessary anxiety & also helps with muscle spasms from my fibromyalgia. I don't get fatigue from this during the day. I do find that taking one before bed helps me relax my 100-miles-per-hour brain (stupid racing thoughts & worries) plus my muscles don't get all kinked up in knots while I'm sleeping. I've never needed to increase my dose on it even after several years, since it works as well as the day I started it, personally.”

BMW Guy February 17, 2020

“I was prescribed Valium (Diazepam) 10mg as needed up to 3x daily 4 1/2 years ago for tension headaches. I also am diagnosed with GAD/PTSD and Panic disorder. After taking the drug for so long I have discovered how affective it is. I can enjoy life in a way I have never experienced. Going to the Movies, out in crowds, traveling by plane, I even lost my stutter, the list goes on. I suffered an Aortic Aneurysm rupture in 2014 because of a stressful phone call. Now there seems to be draconian measures in place to stop all use of this drug. For those of us who don't abuse it I don't care if it is physically addictive. The benefits out weigh the negatives in my case. Now I must find a Doctor that understands that my case is Mental/Physical. I still have an abdominal aneurysm and must fear my own adrenaline because that one can rupture the same way. I was lucky last time but next time there is no way to save my life.”

Lolly · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “I have been suffering with Bi-polar, Severe Depression & Severe Anxiety for many years now & have been put on & tried many different drugs by Dr's BUT the only thing that works is Valium & I take up to three 5 mgs per day & I feel so so GOOD. I can function I am way more productive & I actually get out & talk to people which is normally a no no for me. I also get a great appetite which I don't have if I don't take any. I was under a great Psychiatrist for many years until he retired I then had to move to the country where it was extremely hard to even find a GP but I finally did but have had to go private & he has put me onto a barrage of new Dr's to see in the New Year who are all private as well so I am stressed about paying for all of these at the moment & getting the new GP to give me any Valium is like asking for his kidney but on 2 rare occasions he has given ten 10mg Temazepam's which did help but I had to stretch them out.”

Donna December 15, 2020

Valium (diazepam): “Due to many life events over 25 years, I live with PTSD & debilitating anxiety at unexpected intervals. Was tried on anti-depressant medication with horrible side-effects & not much of a primary effect. What has proven very effective is a low dose of Valium only when needed along with psychological support, exercise & a healthy diet. Valium turned my life around, is by script only & not taken daily. Even just knowing it is there as needed removes some anxiety without needing to take it. Young, inexperienced Dr's are less likely to prescribe it. Wise & worldly Dr's will monitor the dosage & regularity of scripts as well as making Valium just one part of a holistic treatment in the short term. At times I could not leave my condo yet with a broad & experienced approach to PTSD & severe anxiety my life, sleep, social interaction & personal discipline has normalised for the better. It is a gentle drug, unlike other drugs in its family that are stronger & highly addictive.”

Nellbear December 11, 2015

Valium (diazepam): “I have been on diazepam long term, started because of PTSD. It is a mild sedative if I'm relaxing I'll get tired, if I'm working I don't get tired I just feel no negative feelings. It really is a chill pill. I am in construction field now and no issues and if I take one before going to bed my back pain soothes (Valium is mild muscle relaxer) and I always seem to have pleasant dreams. Never had a bad dream since on Valium, but at the same time it isn't luxurious or fantasy dreams either. It has been a miracle drug for me. I do not like how doctors now like to avoid benzos. Valium is a great medicine. I take 30mg per day generic brand. Hope this helps someone.”

Monkey · Taken for 10 years or more June 8, 2020

“Hi Unfortunately I was put on valium 48 years ago as I was told by GP I had a nervous stomach. After 3 years I had an ovarian cyst that burst so had cyst and ovary removed. Heyho after operation I didn't have stomach ache so stopped taking valium. But then I had panic attacks, shakes and agoraphobia. I went to GP who told me you must always take valium or you will end up in a mental health facility. I have tried on occasions to cut down stop them. Side effects shaking tight band round head throat huge weight loss bedridden. For a long time I have taken 25mg daily. I wouldn't want anyone to take them regularly I don't want OTHERS to suffer. After having osteoporosis spine fractures x 3 etc I have needed opioids BUT ONLY HAD 1 WHEN DESPERATE AS I KNOW HOW ADDICTIVE THEY ARE. GOD BLESS YOU ALL”

Hanginginthere · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2021

Valium (diazepam): “I have PTSD, severe anxiety, panic attack disorder, insomnia and depression. I am in recovery, but at one point it was all so bad I reached psychological burnout. I no longer felt nor had energy. This drug has been my savior. This is the only drug that instantly diffuses panic attacks and flashbacks. I manage to only take it as needed, some days I don't need any. But just knowing it is there is enough to make me feel like it's gonna be ok. I am grateful I have a wonderful doctor who understands and actually helps me. I have felt withdrawal symptoms in the past, and I can see how it can be addictive. But for someone suffering for so long for something to take away the panic attacks without resorting to drinking etc, I am so grateful.”