User Reviews for Diazepam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Valium, Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diazepam Intensol, Diastat Pediatric

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Diazepam

"Diazepam takes only20 minutes to help me relax from my anxiety problems"

gra-gra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2019

"I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder. I was prescribed Valium after attending the emergency department for a panic attack. I take Valium when I feel my anxiety creeping up on me (when my heart rate increases and I have that awful feeling of anxiety in my chest) and when I become overwhelmed to stop a panic attack occurring. I take 2.5mg and find this a great dose for me. I feel calm about 30 minutes after taking it and am able to relax for quite a few hours (if only this feeling came naturally!). Overall, I find Valium very effective. However, I can see why people become addicted. You really do get a sense of calm from Valium. If you can be responsible with it and not abuse the drug then I highly recommend it for those instances where you just need something to calm you down. Also, I have never had any side effects."

Lakalak April 28, 2019

"Just been diagnosed with breast cancer, I suffer with depression and anxiety occasionally and I could not cope, tried sleeping tablets but needed something to calm me down instantly, started with 2mg then went to 4mg 3 times a day what a life saver made such a difference"

DAVSY659 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

Valium (diazepam): "I've been of valium for 6 months and I just stopped and I'm left panicking "

Bill (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2019

"I was first given Diazepam during a crisis in hospital when I wanted to end my life because of severe anxiety and agitation caused by traumatic early life experiences. They gave me 10mg & it made me so relaxed that the shaking & sweating stopped & I fell asleep really easily, it was like pouring water on a fire. I now take it on as needed basis because it does build up in the body so often I still feel it working 24 hours after my last dosage. I've not noticed any bad withdrawal by doing this."

John (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2019

"Diazepam is a useful medication for me. I rarely use it but when I do feel a bad bout of anxiety coming on it can be enough to give me some breathing space and to get things under control again. I treat Diazepam as an 'emergency' medication to be taken with care and moderation. It has helped me come off much more problematic medication. I would certainly recommend extreme caution with benzos though, and a practitioner that carefully monitors and controls how much medication you have access to is a good thing."

Bogmonster (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2019

Valium (diazepam): "Hi I have bad anxiety daily it has worsened since I stopped taking codeine for pain caused by my tooth. Now I have panic attacks daily. My mind feels dazed and I zone out. I am on on Valium and it calms me down but last night I had a attack and I couldn't calm down my body was calm but my mind was still freaking out thinking I am going to go insane has anyone else felt this"

Teah (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

Valium (diazepam): "My prescription says I can take 5m to 10mg if I have an anxiety attack (or sleep problem) and I am allowed to repeat if I need it 12 hours later. It takes me many months to go through 30 tablets. I think it works well and it doesn't make me feel vegged out. *Note I can't report on using it for sleep. I'm very concerned with anyone taking it everyday as I think this is begging for problems with addiction and tolerance. I've gone without it for over a month so I think the take it only as needed is the best way to avoid addiction. For those saying things like never take a Benzo? Chill out your problem is not everyone's experience."

PatientWAnxiety (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2019

"Diazepam has been a life saver for me, it's helped with my anxiety and helped me be less of an emotional wreck. I'm not a teary as I was before I was prescribed this drug. It's also helped take the edge of pain. Highly recommend it."

worksforme (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2019

"Works well, especially with tolerance breaks. Tolerance builds quickly so days off are recommended, usually if larger doses are required 1 day on 2 days off is recommended. Highly addictive and patients with drug abuse and/or addiction/habituation history should be monitored very closely."

kaga (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 9, 2019

Valium (diazepam): "If I start panicking I take 2mg and that's enough to calm me down for the rest of the day. This drug is a wonder as far as anxiety goes (for me)."

Luc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2019

"I have suffered with anxiety all my life because of a difficult upbringing, Dad was away a lot in the Army. My first husband used to beat me up and my second husband was mean and kept me in the house. I turned to the Diazepams, I was given Valium, it helped a lot. I'm now almost 70 and still taking it."

Maggieminx (taken for 10 years or more) January 25, 2019

Valium (diazepam): "10/10! It helped me sleep, it helped me eat... I wasn't ever concerned about anything and it was only one tablet in the morning daily. Honestly the best meds my docs ever put me on."

AnxietyFreak (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2019

"I have been on diazepam for 15 years and I am now going through hell. I'm on 14 mg a day and they are killing me slowly, making my anxiety million times worse and I have irritable aggressive moods, shaking, chest pains, vomiting, numb, restless feet, the most painful experience of my life. I am going insane. DO NOT TOUCH THESE DRUGS"

Tinkerbella (taken for 10 years or more) January 15, 2019

Valium (diazepam): "only medicine that works for my anxiety"

pattiecakes (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2019

"I have been on many of the well known psych meds. Nothing seemed to work until I got some relief from Ativan but when it wore off the anxiety would return so in search of a long lasting solution my doctor put me on 10 mg of Valium three times a day. I feel much better. Not 100%,I'm still trying to get there but I've been on this dose for about two years and the only time I am anxious seems to be in the morning and a little here and there throughout the day. All my anxiety problems started back when I was 15 and had a panic attack smoking marijuana. Now I'm 51 and have had some very good years. The last big panic really hit me when my Grandmother died. She was the one who mostly raised me. She was the safe place."

Still Learning (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2018

"This medication has made my life possible. Why oh why do GP’s have an issue with it ? Have tried SSRI’s and Propanolol; neither do anything to make me function as ‘me’. This isn’t a dialogue oriented site, but, if something is making one’s life great, why oh why do old fashioned GP’s try to change medication? Why treat me like a criminal?"

JohnTPH123 December 16, 2018

"I've been diagnosed with anxiety and been prescribed with Diazepam (Valium) 5mg to be taken twice daily. So far I took them right before bed. The morning after I can certainly say I do feel the symptoms have subsided and I do feel a little better. My Dr. said it's still building up but I can spread out the doses 10am 5mg and then 10pm 5mg."

razzoozi (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "My psychiatrist prescribed this for me reluctantly when I demanded some relief from horrible anxiety. I did not abuse it, and he monitored my intake. In the first few years I averaged 10mg per week. I went through a horrible personal tragedy and upped the dose, with psychiatrists' full knowledge. The tragedy lasted 3 years, and I quit valium cold-turkey. I stayed in bed 8 months, and learned the meaning of the phrase "pray without ceasing." Literally. For those who need some kind of timeline, I speak from experience that withdrawal eased up after 8 months. God willing, I will never touch benzos again. Short-term for some patients they offer some benefits. Short term ONLY."

SufferingSuccotash (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2018

"I began treatment for anxiety at the age of 16years old. Now 7 years on and I have used a variety of different medications to try to relieve symptoms. My list includes: sertraline at dosages 50mg and 100mg (1x daily); citalopram at dosages 10, 20 and 40mg (1xdaily); diazepam (Valium) dosage at 2mg (3xdaily); zopiclone (sleeping aid) 3.75mg (1xdaily) and propranolol (beta blocker) 40mg (3xdaily). At the moment I am taking a combination of sertraline (100mg), diazepam and zopiclone and this JUST keeps things under control. I am often tired throughout the day and suffer from sleep paralysis at night or in the morning. The only notable side effects that impact my life day to day are a reduced libido and headaches. I also see or speak to my psychologist and my psychiatrist weekly who help manage my medication and emotions while providing self help techniques and support."

zocam (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "Let me start off with thanking valium for helping me to get onto an airplane after years of fear! I got on that plane like I owned it lol... got into Mexico and was still calm as a clam on the taxi ride to the hotel. OK but now my anxiety has come back to me lately and I've felt the need to take 5mg of valium almost every other day...I'm a changed person on it... I have no fears, it helps me save the world... it brings my appetite back to the point I want to order everything off the menu... I'm more calm with my children I'm happy and playful. I do also see a counsellor once a week and I am aware of the unfortunate withdraws valium could possibly have."

Msmoni (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"These where the only thing to even touch my my severe anxiety and depression, I took 20mg a day which I believe is the highest dose a doctor would recommend? Which I needed. But anyways fast forward roughly a year later and before I can get more I notice how awful I start to feel, then I realised I'd become dependant on them. So I took it up with my doctor who refused to help and an addiction clinic who said because of the dosage and length of time I'd being taking them I needed to go to the hospital (but I didn't want to let anyone know how bad I was) and basically the next 6 weeks where hands down the hardest time of my life and I genuinely thought I was going to die at times but I stuck at it and finally 8 months later I'm able to function semi normally. With only an occasion relapse when the PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) act up. My advice? Be careful and do exactly what your doctor says. A year of mental stability was in no way worth the 6 weeks of torture"

Swim (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2018

"I’ve been using Valium prn for 15 years, since going through an acrimonious divorce and custody battle, and raising two boys on my own who both have psychiatric / emotional illnessess. Diazepam has literally been a lifesaver for me. I have what my doctor termed as ‘severe and persistent anxiety’. I never had any problems with cognitive function or tolerance until the last few years when relentless circumstances caused me to increase my doses and then started getting symptoms of tolerance withdrawal. I’m currently stable on 10mg and will be tapering next year when my son finishes school. I’m not looking to stop completely, just wanting to return to my as needed dose as I have a far better quality of life when I can use them as a tool to quell my anxiety and make non-reactivate decisions when I’m under stress. I would give them a ten if not for the tolerance, but this can be mitigated by responsible use."

Yoga girl October 27, 2018

"I am in mid 70's. Fortunate to have had means for psych therapy over most of my adult life, off and on. clinical anxious depression, extreme losses in earliest years. I found immense help from Senequan (doxipen) in the mid 80's. Valium was 5mg no more than 3-4times weekly. Those meds gave me a life. I am now on 20 mg Lexapro nightly 10 mg doxipen, and 2.5 mg Valium no more than occasionally. A life saver when used sparingly. I've not had any negatives in decades of careful use."

Polly (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2018

"Took this for maybe 7 years for panic. Daily usage, average of 15mg per day. My life is ruined now. I was cut of it too fast and went into acute withdrawal, trust me you do not want to know how it feels. I thought it was so safe and innocent. I was already so panicky and agoraphobic. Now I'm in a constant spasm, feel exhausted and am losing my memory. Brain is worn out. I'm only 32. It's made my psychosis terrifying and I'm scared I'm dying every day. It is incessant and I could not cope without my dad. At first I noticed text moving around and a sensation that my brain was squeezing, then it was like I was falling into darkness in my mind and couldn't hold on. I fought and fought but I think I was just blacking out. Its not just sleeping, you are fighting for your life. I became so psychotic and scared I tried ending my life. Unless it is occasional, light use I'd stay well away from benzos. You don't notice you are slowly losing your mind over time. Its not worth gambling with."

Holly October 23, 2018