User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Diazepam.

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Anxiety

Valium (diazepam): "This drug helps at first but it's hell in the end! NEVER take Benzos!"

Ihatebenzos (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018

"Well 2mg was prescribed I have took it a few times if I'm feeling like really anxious or unable to sleep and yes it calms me - not massively - I think I'd need a higher dose to feel extremely relaxed it just calms the anxiety symptoms."

Stefnina (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

"Diazepam 10mg twice helps immensely for my Panic Attacks, anxiety, night terrors. But only if I can get a generic that actually contains diazepam. I have been using Mylan and have had my urine screened for the presence of benzodiazepines for 6 months because I noticed that some months the drug had no effect whatsoever. I learned that 3 of the 6 drug screens found NO DIAZEPAM in them. So I called my MD and asked him to cancel my refills and to submit another requesting that Mylan not be used to fill it. I also contacted Mylan; they called the next day with questions relating to my experience. I looked up diazepam by Mylan I & found that there were many others who had the same complaints regarding Mylan and this drug being ineffective. Strict quality controls need to be in place."

pamela7767 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "Having anxiety my whole life I never sought help and always hid it. Eventually it led to depression which I covered up too. The final nail in my coffin was when I acquired a parasitic infection in my gut l. The infection left me with permanent irritable bowel syndrome which I suffer from every day. For a year straight I seen numerous nerve pain experts and probably had 100 pill bottles in my drawer which nothing helped. My first psychiatrist started to prescribe medicines I already tried which I denied then asked for 5mg valium. Miracle drug that took all pain away, physical and mental. After 2 years decided to stop which was a devil's ride to hell. Miracle drug with insane withdrawal when stopped even tapering. Back to being miserable now."

Anxietysux (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 7, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I was on diazepam for about a year and then my pcp decided that I should try valium. I was on diazepam for over five years and I was leading a productive life. No anxiety, no panic attacks, I slept just fine taking 5mg. 3 times a day. I had a failed knee surgery and lower back problems and the valium helped with it all. Than in August of 17, a girlfriend of mine told me about a pain management clinic that she goes to. I checked it out. The doctor said before we start sticking needles or anything else, we have to start weaning you off the valium. I looked at him with the what are you talking about look. That was the end of Aug..First cut 9mg. Over the next two weeks the real world disappeared. I had sensitivities that I didn't know existed."

Bear135 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2017

"Fantastic drug. I can take it for ages and come off with zero effects. Everyone is different. I'd take these over any anti depressants any day. You only live once and what's the point of suffering I'd stress to a Dr if you're not allowed them. I have them for anxiety/spasms. Make sure if any brand you get/ask for actavis.. others are useless. Chemists/NHS like the useless ones as they're cheap"

Pogo28 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2017

"Don't make the mistake so many others do by taking this horrible drug. You will get relief initially but make no mistake about it, this is really addictive and before you know it you will hit tolerance and will need to take more to continue feeling OK. However you may get to the point where it actually makes you feel horrible, waking up every morning with extreme anxiety and hopeless. I've off all benzos for 9 weeks now and I'm finally starting to feel normal. Before trying this med, do your research and you'll find out how many poor souls are out there suffering every day with very little relief."

Benzo Free and Happy! (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2017

"I have been taking 5mg Valium for the better part of 25 years. I was a huge drinker with a problem so I gave up the booze 12 years ago. However I have had major problems sleeping so I take a valium at night. Doctors hate given me Valium and it really blows me out as I don't drink and don't take illegal Drugs [ I did take heroin in the late 80s and some speed .. ]. I Haven't had drugs like that since 1980. I went two years without Valium and didn't bother me at all. I don't care what they say I will take valium until I die and I love the sleep I have. I have never taken one during the day because I don't wish to go to sleep or feel that way.."

peterredd (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2017

"I find these are excellent medication Top Notch!"

Happy Hippie (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2017

"Was given 5mg to take up to 3 times per day for anxiety. Didn’t use it each day, only when really necessary. Initially worked well, but extreme fatigue was a problem. Within a few weeks I was only taking it on 2 or 3 days per week, up to 2 doses. Sometimes I would half the tablets. By that time it was only helping for an hour or two so I stopped taking it. The withdrawal anxiety has been horrendous. My GP didn’t even talk about withdrawal to me. I won’t be recommending this to anyone apart from for emergency use. I am angry that I was prescribed this so easily with no advice given."

Juju1960 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017

"This may seem really strange but I swear I seem to have more focus when I read very complex material. Is that normal? I found myself behind in law school because of Hurricane Irma that left me without electricity and becoming increasingly behind with the material because of power outages. I took one before I started working on it and I feel wonderful and unaffected by the stress of trying to catch up. Very interesting. Was wondering if anyone had similar experience . . . ."

abogado September 15, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "My blood pressure was 270/120 and had to work through many drugs before this one lowered my anxiety and blood pressure. At 20 mg a day usually take all at night time for sleep to. Side effects sometimes headache. Strong addiction and should be weaned off it slowly or your head will hurt non stop for a month. A nightmare to stop cold. It lasts eight times longer than Xanax or Klonopin they are two brothers not to mess with. At first you may have the sedated effect before you become more resistant to the drug. Where you get the drug also makes a difference. Some stores give the yellow tablet which melts in mouth as clean as water. Other stores have an orange tablet that tastes like paper. Walmart has the good one and some grocery but not CVS."

Brian H.H. September 10, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "Was previously on lorazapam and switched to Valium in February. Since then I never felt relief and suffered every day from anxiety. It didn't matter if I took 2mg or 12mg I didn't feel better and in fact I felt more anxiety. A week ago I decided to stop it cold turkey and every day since I have felt 90% better. I'm going through some withdrawal like tinnitus and night time sweats but I wake up better and have been feeling happiness. I strongly recommend staying off any benzodiazepine and if you are going to take it, only for bad panic attacks. Never take them daily as they are very addictive and quite difficult to get off of. They say that benzos are more difficult to get off of than heroin. Try Gabapentin for anxiety."

PM17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I have suffered with anxiety and severe panic attacks for many years. It is a GODSEND. Initially anyway. I have noticed over the years I've had to increase the dose I take (which I've never taken daily). 5mg of diazepam (Valium) never did much for me. But 7.5mg used to have a perfect effect. These days I need 15mg for that same affect. Its a shame. And I thought I wasn't abusing it because I didn't take it daily. (Generally 2 or 3 times a week, depending how I felt). I'm still giving it a high rating for the many times its helped me. But even taking it as PRN has eventually caught up on me. If I don't take it for several days I start feeling sick. Devastated to lose a medication that can work so well."

PatchRight (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2017

"Never tried diazepam for anxiety or any other medication I also tried it for RLS . Its really effective but hard to stop and withdrawals are hell. I also acting like a zombie have risky sexual behaviour with this."

Ganya Adling (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2017

"I have been on Valium (diazepam) for 40 years, have never had any side effects, great drug. If prescribed properly, no one should ever have any problems with this drug if prescribed properly, & if taking it for the right reasons."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 4, 2017

"I would like to say that diazepam is very useful I only take it when I can't take control of my breathing and get to the point of thinking I'm going to faint, I must say as I don't like taking these pills I take the lowest dose, 2 mg which might not even help me sometimes but other times will make me feel drowsy and make me go to sleep, I don't like taking higher dosage for the plain reason of wanting to be in control of my body, I don't want to fall asleep if I don't want to, or have a deep sleep and stop breathing, this I know is part of my anxiety, being scared of these things, so the only bad thing I can say is that depending on he dose you can feel sleepy and not function properly, for example I wouldn't dare to drive"

Forever anxious (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

"5mg to 10mg every morning gets me through the day without sleepiness nor euphoria side effects and makes me feel completely “normal”."

WillN (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2017

"I've suffered day upon day with extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I have tried all sorts of medications but they just made me feel like a zombie and couldn't function. My GP prescribed me 2mg diazepam and I have to say this stuff has been amazing. My anxiety has reduced but when I'm in having a bad day they are brilliant as a quick release. No side affects at all just a sense of calm :)"

Scimmy (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

"This medication is amazing for me. I have severe anxiety. It was affecting me at work, at home. I was having anxiety attacks and felt like I couldn't breathe constantly. It was terrible plain and simple. I was lucky to find a psychiatrist who had an immediate opening and was accepting new patients. She started me off on 5mg of diazepam. I took it and with in 30 min I started to feel relief from the anxiety. I take it once in the morning, once in the afternoon and take 2 pills before bed and it's helped me so much. I love it. I don't abuse it and don't recommend anyone to abuse it. You can build a tolerance to it so your doctor might adjust your milligrams. This is a quick fix for anxiety but will not help in the long run."

AdamH123 June 29, 2017

"Now 77 years old, I have Depression with mild anxiety. I am white married male with Mild Cognitive Impairment. First took Valium (diazapam) first pill 5 mg in grad school 40 years ago, for acute anxiety and slept for 14 hours. Have been taking on and off, mostly for a nights sleep. It has had a beneficial effect over all, when taken perhaps as little as once a week. Now, going through difficult times, I'm up to 10-20 mg to get to sleep, as being awake worrying is more harmful. I'm approaching addiction, yet my choices is depression, and agitation that only makes things worse. So, I'm a bit of a zombie, not good, but seems better than agitated depression (if there is such a condition)"

Al R June 21, 2017

"I had nasal surgery (septoplasty/latera splints) (1st surgery scheduled & 2nd was emergency surgery in 8 day span). During consultation I mentioned that I'm not a mouthbreather and was anxious about breathing issues (not being able to breath or stop/dying in my sleep). He gave me Valium to assist with the anxiety. This medication is wonderful...it's only short term for me as I'm recovering from post-op traumatic experience. Took it twice daily during the first 11 days now I take it only at bed-I feel rested when I wake up and I'm not crying/shaking/emotional when asked about the surgeries (yes it was horrible bc thats how they found out I'm allergic to silicone). I will be coming off this med in a month or 2"

Small cow (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I used to be on Klonopin for years and I think it helped but I'm not sure since I was also on Paxil. It came to a point where neither were working for me even at higher dosages so I started taking Ativan. This really helped my anxiety but it would come back every morning. Eventually I hit tolerance and had to increase it. Eventually I hit tolerance again and I found myself feeling more anxious than ever. I decided it was time to get off. The doctor put me on Valium because it's easier to taper off than any other benzo. He suggested I could take anywhere from 4mg to 10mg per day. I slowly tapered down to 1.5mg but I was miserable. I reinstated and went back up to 6mg and have also tried 10mg and it has never worked for me. Stay away from it"

PaulMartin16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I take Valium 2mg PRN for panic attacks. I was nervous about using it. I also had this warped idea that I would be labeled a pill head for taking a drug like Valium. I can honestly say that Valium is a life saver. The first time I took it all I could think about was how I regretted not taking it sooner. I can actually live my life now. You have to be careful though. It is very easy to build a tolerance to it. Use the lowest amount you need, because You would be surprised how much of a difference 1 mg will make. I have been trying to use it as a tool rather than a crutch. I also have ADD and Valium helps me fall asleep at night when I feel restless"

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa May 20, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I have bipolar 2, generalized anxiety disorder and suffer panic attacks. I am given Valium 5mg to take 'when needed'. While I feel it works well on generalized (mild to moderate) anxiety, it's not the most effective medication to take to during acute episodes like in a panic attack. I feel the 5mg isn't enough. Also if you take it even every few days, it pretty quickly becomes less effective meaning you may have to increase the dose. I now take 10mg as needed. It's very helpful, and I find it to be very effective, but perhaps not strong enough during acute panic attacks, but in general this medication is a blessing."

Kieran P May 12, 2017