User Reviews for Diazepam systemic

Also known as: Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Anxiety

"I've been diagnosed with anxiety and been prescribed with Diazepam (Valium) 5mg to be taken twice daily. So far I took them right before bed. The morning after I can certainly say I do feel the symptoms have subsided and I do feel a little better. My Dr. said it's still building up but I can spread out the doses 10am 5mg and then 10pm 5mg."

razzoozi (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "My psychiatrist prescribed this for me reluctantly when I demanded some relief from horrible anxiety. I did not abuse it, and he monitored my intake. In the first few years I averaged 10mg per week. I went through a horrible personal tragedy and upped the dose, with psychiatrists' full knowledge. The tragedy lasted 3 years, and I quit valium cold-turkey. I stayed in bed 8 months, and learned the meaning of the phrase "pray without ceasing." Literally. For those who need some kind of timeline, I speak from experience that withdrawal eased up after 8 months. God willing, I will never touch benzos again. Short-term for some patients they offer some benefits. Short term ONLY."

SufferingSuccotash (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2018

"I began treatment for anxiety at the age of 16years old. Now 7 years on and I have used a variety of different medications to try to relieve symptoms. My list includes: sertraline at dosages 50mg and 100mg (1x daily); citalopram at dosages 10, 20 and 40mg (1xdaily); diazepam (Valium) dosage at 2mg (3xdaily); zopiclone (sleeping aid) 3.75mg (1xdaily) and propranolol (beta blocker) 40mg (3xdaily). At the moment I am taking a combination of sertraline (100mg), diazepam and zopiclone and this JUST keeps things under control. I am often tired throughout the day and suffer from sleep paralysis at night or in the morning. The only notable side effects that impact my life day to day are a reduced libido and headaches. I also see or speak to my psychologist and my psychiatrist weekly who help manage my medication and emotions while providing self help techniques and support."

zocam (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "Let me start off with thanking valium for helping me to get onto an airplane after years of fear! I got on that plane like I owned it lol... got into Mexico and was still calm as a clam on the taxi ride to the hotel. OK but now my anxiety has come back to me lately and I've felt the need to take 5mg of valium almost every other day...I'm a changed person on it... I have no fears, it helps me save the world... it brings my appetite back to the point I want to order everything off the menu... I'm more calm with my children I'm happy and playful. I do also see a counsellor once a week and I am aware of the unfortunate withdraws valium could possibly have."

Msmoni (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"These where the only thing to even touch my my severe anxiety and depression, I took 20mg a day which I believe is the highest dose a doctor would recommend? Which I needed. But anyways fast forward roughly a year later and before I can get more I notice how awful I start to feel, then I realised I'd become dependant on them. So I took it up with my doctor who refused to help and an addiction clinic who said because of the dosage and length of time I'd being taking them I needed to go to the hospital (but I didn't want to let anyone know how bad I was) and basically the next 6 weeks where hands down the hardest time of my life and I genuinely thought I was going to die at times but I stuck at it and finally 8 months later I'm able to function semi normally. With only an occasion relapse when the PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) act up. My advice? Be careful and do exactly what your doctor says. A year of mental stability was in no way worth the 6 weeks of torture"

Swim (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2018

"I’ve been using Valium prn for 15 years, since going through an acrimonious divorce and custody battle, and raising two boys on my own who both have psychiatric / emotional illnessess. Diazepam has literally been a lifesaver for me. I have what my doctor termed as ‘severe and persistent anxiety’. I never had any problems with cognitive function or tolerance until the last few years when relentless circumstances caused me to increase my doses and then started getting symptoms of tolerance withdrawal. I’m currently stable on 10mg and will be tapering next year when my son finishes school. I’m not looking to stop completely, just wanting to return to my as needed dose as I have a far better quality of life when I can use them as a tool to quell my anxiety and make non-reactivate decisions when I’m under stress. I would give them a ten if not for the tolerance, but this can be mitigated by responsible use."

Yoga girl October 27, 2018

"I am in mid 70's. Fortunate to have had means for psych therapy over most of my adult life, off and on. clinical anxious depression, extreme losses in earliest years. I found immense help from Senequan (doxipen) in the mid 80's. Valium was 5mg no more than 3-4times weekly. Those meds gave me a life. I am now on 20 mg Lexapro nightly 10 mg doxipen, and 2.5 mg Valium no more than occasionally. A life saver when used sparingly. I've not had any negatives in decades of careful use."

Polly (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2018

"Took this for maybe 7 years for panic. Daily usage, average of 15mg per day. My life is ruined now. I was cut of it too fast and went into acute withdrawal, trust me you do not want to know how it feels. I thought it was so safe and innocent. I was already so panicky and agoraphobic. Now I'm in a constant spasm, feel exhausted and am losing my memory. Brain is worn out. I'm only 32. It's made my psychosis terrifying and I'm scared I'm dying every day. It is incessant and I could not cope without my dad. At first I noticed text moving around and a sensation that my brain was squeezing, then it was like I was falling into darkness in my mind and couldn't hold on. I fought and fought but I think I was just blacking out. Its not just sleeping, you are fighting for your life. I became so psychotic and scared I tried ending my life. Unless it is occasional, light use I'd stay well away from benzos. You don't notice you are slowly losing your mind over time. Its not worth gambling with."

Holly October 23, 2018

"I was originally given diazepam for migraines. I have been on it, then off and on it for ten years. This past May I was taken off very abruptly. I had no withdrawals whatsoever! It worked for my panic attacks, migraines and muscle spasms. I was taken off of them because the drs. are too scared to give them to patients that actually benefit from them. The best medicine ever, now I have to take four different meds that still do not work!"

raven (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2018

"I've been on benzos for 15 years. And for 15 years I was miserable. Taking a benzo for a short time is ok but I got addicted to them and was in and out of the hospital 7 times in those 15 years because of them. I'm completely off all benzos, diazepam being the last one I took and I feel fantastic. I can go to sleep on my own and I have no anxiety or desire to take anymore. If you really need them they're good for a short time but confronting what's making you anxious and seeing a therapist is the best option. I take buspar once in awhile for any panic I might have and that works great. But please think about how your going to feel in the long term before getting on any benzo."

Reedusluver (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2018

"Dose low 2mg 3 x day."

Nick Naminton the turd October 4, 2018

"I was put on this medication for Ménière’s disease in March 2013 I am up to 30 mg a day and it helps my Ménière’s but is never helped my anxiety. It has made my anxiety worse to the point I have panic attacks and refuse to leave home. Doctor gave it to because it helps with my Ménière’s but for some reason it doesn’t make me tired it doesn’t do anything but help me keep my balance"

AJ (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 24, 2018

"My psychiatrist prescribed Valium 5 mg 3x a day for anxiety. I didn’t tell him I had anxiety he told me I did! I had said it was depression. I never really felt anxious but took it thinking he must know what he’s doing. Well that was the beginning of the worse experience I’ve ever had. I took it as directed & within a week I started having horrible anxiety! Never did I ever have this feeling before. It was sheer panic & extreme agitation. It was especially bad between doses but even when taken it did little to stop it. I literally was in hell. How could Valium cause me severe anxiety?? Well I learned it was a paradoxical reaction. My Dr brushed it off & I ended up in patient at a hospital for 2 weeks! They gave me muscle relaxers & neurontin to try to calm me down. Then they gave me seroquel which made me a virtual zombie. These meds starting with the careless actions of a so called Dr destroyed my life for months & put me & my husband through hell."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2018

"I have a phobia about going in for surgery. I have panic attacks thinking even when my husband goes in for his surgery . I have walked out of the operating room before. I've told doctors many times that I've needed something and they gave me a low dose of Xanax which just wasn't strong enough and I had bad experiences going in for my surgeries. This one doctor gave me diazepam 5mg told me I could take one to two the day before and the morning of my surgery - so thankful for this doctor giving this to me because it helped me and I wasn't so nerved up. I definitely recommend diazepam it calmed my nerves down a lot"

All nerves (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I have been taking it sparingly for years, just 1 (max. 2) mg to send me asleep when stressed out and anxious, nowadays, with horrible tinnitus. The longest I took it was 6 days on the trot for extreme anxiety. It helps to calm down my stomach, the life-sapping stress response in the body. Then, I have a big break, try to use some of the CBT techniques I learned, then again, when it gets too much. It saved my ass many times. In the meantime drink herbal teas (Melissa, nettle, Valerian) and try to exercise (walking, cycling) and eat healthy foods (lots of vegetables, fruit in moderation and organic meats, nuts, seeds, unpasteurized cheese, etc.). I am so pleased that it is helping other people. There are times when you just cannot do it on your own. It can be hard but I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel."

XX (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2018

"I have GAD and depression ! Having surgery and pre-op tests. Blood, EKG and Dr exam. I’m so nervous can I take Valium before I go even with EKG"

Debbie (taken for 10 years or more) August 13, 2018

"totally makes me feel so relaxed and I end up falling asleep"

J August 8, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "Valium is the best benzo I've ever tried for anxiety and panic attacks. it blows ativan out of the water. Valium 5 to 10mg as needed is perfect."

SAm (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2018

"I suffered from anxiety symptoms for years! I was having panic attacks daily! By the time my dr tested for everything & finally suggested I get screened for panic disorder: I was so bad that I had not lefty my bedroom for months! I was diagnosed w/panic disorder w/severe panic attacks and agoraphobia and depression! I started on fluoxetine and 10 mg of diazepam that I take at bedtime! I immediately felt better, was able to sleep for more than 2 hrs a night! It has been 2 years and I am still on fluoxetine, 10mg diazepam and I take clonazepam during the day when /if I have a panic attack! We have tried different cocktails of medicines but this seems to work the best for me! Every person is different: be patient & you will find the right mixtures of medicines that will help u control your anxiety! Hope this helps! good luck!"

fozzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression, panic attacks & PTSD. This medicine has helped me tremendously. Only take 2mg as needed & haven’t had any addiction problems. Often times when I get so worked up my family members & doctors remind me to take Valium. I use it as a last resort only when I can’t calm myself down, so I am definitely not addicted. I only have to take it a few times a month. For me 2 mg can keep me calm for 2 To 3 days. It helped me go back to work and go out in public places. It has given me a part of my life back. It does not make me sleepy and I have not had any side effects. This is the best medication I have ever taken for my anxiety& my depression. It has helped me live life again."

TiredofAnxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

"Having been prescribed for anxiety, which is fairly effective, I recently tried 5mg of Valium for my period pain. I recently ceased the depo injections, which stopped my cramps and periods completely. The pain is debilitating, I’m curled up wanting to cut my uterus out with a knife! I added the Diazepam into the mix along with the standard ibuprofen and Codeine, which help but not completely. Within 15 minutes, I use the heat whilst waiting for everything else to kick in, I start to feel better and after half an hour am virtually pain free. I’ve read that going down on my hands and knees would help, as the uterus hangs and relaxes. I do this with the heat pack stuffed in my waistband and maybe this helps take the edge off so quickly. I look like a fool, lol, but when it’s bad, as we all know it can be, you’re willing to try anything."

katej1428 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

"I first begain taking diazepam after a long, candid conversation with my general doctor. I had used alcohol for years to suppress my anxiety. I quit that by tapering on my own, but knew I had to address the core issue if I could remain off of it. The dr. was very open and prescribed me a light dose of 2mg diazepam to be taken 3 times a day as needed. The medication worked wonders. There were (and still are) days that I would not use any, and days were I would need 2 or 3. I made sure to use the drug very carefully. So my dr. gives me a script each time I see him, every 3-6 months, making sure that I make them last. Unfortunately, people do misuse diazepam and all that really does is make it sound like a dirty drug to those of us in which it does wonders! Btw, with my insurance, it costs me just over $4 per prescription."

DR (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "15 years ago my mother gave me a Kolonopin to help me out on my first plane ride and the euphoria of freedom from anxiety was instantly addicting. I soon got my own RX and over the years I was up to 4mg a day and my anxiety wasn’t improving. A very incredible psychiatrist told me it was now just harming me and my tolerance was far too high and he amazingly got me off Kolonopin to taper with Valium because of the longer half-life. I’m now down to 12mg a day (from the converted 60!) and it’s been hell. I’ve never been so anxious and depressed. Though this is SADLY normal with tapering. I’m working with therapists and trying to keep on a schedule of exercise and deep breathing but I fear I’ll never be able to break free from these terrible drugs that are killing me. (I also lost 80 lbs and my BMI is under 17 after the taper.) While I hate all benzos for what they’ve done to me, Valium is definitely the lesser of all the evils."

IHateYouTooAnxiety (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2018

"Shame doctors don't use it for temporary help. Good stuff when not abused which I did do when I was younger. Used in moderation and works wonders"

Db (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I average about 10 valium pills (5mg) per month. Helps with: 1) Blood pressure spikes 2) Occasional anxiety 3) Difficultly going to sleep 4) Jetlag sleep disruption-international flights 5) Have used prior medical procedure to reduce tension & anxiety 6) Can be used when wanting to reduce alcohol consumption"

Jack (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2018