User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Anxiety

Valium (diazepam): "I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression, panic attacks & PTSD. This medicine has helped me tremendously. Only take 2mg as needed & haven’t had any addiction problems. Often times when I get so worked up my family members & doctors remind me to take Valium. I use it as a last resort only when I can’t calm myself down, so I am definitely not addicted. I only have to take it a few times a month. For me 2 mg can keep me calm for 2 To 3 days. It helped me go back to work and go out in public places. It has given me a part of my life back. It does not make me sleepy and I have not had any side effects. This is the best medication I have ever taken for my anxiety& my depression. It has helped me live life again."

TiredofAnxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

"Having been prescribed for anxiety, which is fairly effective, I recently tried 5mg of Valium for my period pain. I recently ceased the depo injections, which stopped my cramps and periods completely. The pain is debilitating, I’m curled up wanting to cut my uterus out with a knife! I added the Diazepam into the mix along with the standard ibuprofen and Codeine, which help but not completely. Within 15 minutes, I use the heat whilst waiting for everything else to kick in, I start to feel better and after half an hour am virtually pain free. I’ve read that going down on my hands and knees would help, as the uterus hangs and relaxes. I do this with the heat pack stuffed in my waistband and maybe this helps take the edge off so quickly. I look like a fool, lol, but when it’s bad, as we all know it can be, you’re willing to try anything."

katej1428 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

"I first begain taking diazepam after a long, candid conversation with my general doctor. I had used alcohol for years to suppress my anxiety. I quit that by tapering on my own, but knew I had to address the core issue if I could remain off of it. The dr. was very open and prescribed me a light dose of 2mg diazepam to be taken 3 times a day as needed. The medication worked wonders. There were (and still are) days that I would not use any, and days were I would need 2 or 3. I made sure to use the drug very carefully. So my dr. gives me a script each time I see him, every 3-6 months, making sure that I make them last. Unfortunately, people do misuse diazepam and all that really does is make it sound like a dirty drug to those of us in which it does wonders! Btw, with my insurance, it costs me just over $4 per prescription."

DR (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "15 years ago my mother gave me a Kolonopin to help me out on my first plane ride and the euphoria of freedom from anxiety was instantly addicting. I soon got my own RX and over the years I was up to 4mg a day and my anxiety wasn’t improving. A very incredible psychiatrist told me it was now just harming me and my tolerance was far too high and he amazingly got me off Kolonopin to taper with Valium because of the longer half-life. I’m now down to 12mg a day (from the converted 60!) and it’s been hell. I’ve never been so anxious and depressed. Though this is SADLY normal with tapering. I’m working with therapists and trying to keep on a schedule of exercise and deep breathing but I fear I’ll never be able to break free from these terrible drugs that are killing me. (I also lost 80 lbs and my BMI is under 17 after the taper.) While I hate all benzos for what they’ve done to me, Valium is definitely the lesser of all the evils."

IHateYouTooAnxiety (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2018

"Shame doctors don't use it for temporary help. Good stuff when not abused which I did do when I was younger. Used in moderation and works wonders"

Db (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I average about 10 valium pills (5mg) per month. Helps with: 1) Blood pressure spikes 2) Occasional anxiety 3) Difficultly going to sleep 4) Jetlag sleep disruption-international flights 5) Have used prior medical procedure to reduce tension & anxiety 6) Can be used when wanting to reduce alcohol consumption"

Jack (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2018

"I am from the UK. I am prescribed 5mg diazepam for severe bouts of anxiety to take occasionally when absolutely needed. The diazepam really helps but please don't under estimate how dangerous these meds can be when not used responsibly. Only use under the careful advice of a qualified Doctor. So the insane hellish anxiety is calmed and soothed and I get a few hours of blessed relief with diazepam. It's like pouring a cooling balm over a painful burn. My criticism is that the effects only last a few hours and they are highly addictive and can be very dangerous and hell to wean off. Please use responsibly for short term use only if possible. Please use wisely and also read the literature that come with the meds. Diazepam has been a blessing for me when used occasionally when absolutely needed. It has provided relief from severe suffering. But I can't emphasize enough to please use carefully and responsibly, and under proper medical guidance by a qualified person."

Lilly Hill March 10, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "Hi I take Valium (diazapam) 1.5-2.5mg every second week for a few nights to help me sleep. My insomnia had become so bad it was effecting my memory and my work during the day and increasing my anxiety. I find it really helps me sleep well and function better during the day. Also reduces my anxiety and I don’t get side effects. My recommendations to take it less often so it works when you need it. I don’t find it addictive. It does have a long half life so it can build up in your system fast so that is something to watch."

Tired (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "The medication I stopped for a month off a taper. And just went back on it. I was sweeting perfusely, along with social anxiety, and PTSD. It has been a god sent medication, But the only down fall is that it can have bad withdrawal symptoms! But I was on xanax 4mg daily and Valium. The xanax withdrawal put me in the hospital but the Valium withdrawal is mild, but it is dangerous. Hope this helps someone in need of some advice!! Make sure it's only taken at the recommended dose and try too use it every couple of days not daily, otherwise you develop a tolerance."

Geez LA weez (taken for 10 years or more) February 20, 2018

"As I have really strong anxiety disorder I find it perfect for anxiety. I only take 2.5mg when needed for anxiety/panic attacks and it works within 20 minutes. It doesn't make me dizzy at all, it even makes my mind more clear."

Dia777 February 13, 2018

"After many years of suffering with major insomnia, and being prescribed many different sleeping pills that all had horrible side effects, I was finally prescribed Diazepam (as a trial). Although I'm aware that doctors do not like to prescribe this drug, I have to say that it was "the one" that gave me my life back. I take 7.5 mg at bedtime only, and have been on the same dosage for approx. 8 years. It has helped me tremendously with both anxiety and my sleeping. I also had suffered my entire life (since childhood) from cold sores (at least one outbreak every 6 to 8 weeks) ugh. The oral drug I was given to "speed up the healing process" did indeed help, but was very hard on my system(constipation...tummy upset etc) Since taking Diazepam I have not had a single cold sore in 8 years. (it's a suppressant and therefore that makes sense, as cold sores are often triggered by stress) I've been lucky in that Diazepam (valium) has been extremely beneficial for me, and very inexpensive."

November1958 February 8, 2018

"Works really well and at first it was sedative but not anymore. I can take up to 10mg a day and still function normally, I'm holding down a job thanks to diazepam. My anxiety is not gone but it's under control, though I wouldn't suggest this for daily use as you can become dependent on it."

moadej (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

"At first this medication saved my life (literally) but as time went on things slowly but surely started to get worse, feelings of unreality sometimes severe insomnia, increased anxiety & actually lead to feelings of depression. I started of at 5 mg for one year then a year later 10mg and now my 3rd year taking this medication I am now on 15mg as you can see going up 5mg each year. What I wasn't told before I took this medication is how addictive it was and as an ex drug addict they still gave me this medication. I am only 25 but this medication has ruined my life. It is ok for very short periods but do NOT take long term. If you want my advice it is do NOT take this medication it will ruin your life."

..........nameless.......... (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2018

"best drug ever, I just wish I could control use"

lewis2018 February 3, 2018

"The safest benodiazepine medicine for anxiety."

Z. P (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "This drug helps at first but it's hell in the end! NEVER take Benzos!"

Ihatebenzos (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018

"Well 2mg was prescribed I have took it a few times if I'm feeling like really anxious or unable to sleep and yes it calms me - not massively - I think I'd need a higher dose to feel extremely relaxed it just calms the anxiety symptoms."

Stefnina (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

"Diazepam 10mg twice helps immensely for my Panic Attacks, anxiety, night terrors. But only if I can get a generic that actually contains diazepam. I have been using Mylan and have had my urine screened for the presence of benzodiazepines for 6 months because I noticed that some months the drug had no effect whatsoever. I learned that 3 of the 6 drug screens found NO DIAZEPAM in them. So I called my MD and asked him to cancel my refills and to submit another requesting that Mylan not be used to fill it. I also contacted Mylan; they called the next day with questions relating to my experience. I looked up diazepam by Mylan I & found that there were many others who had the same complaints regarding Mylan and this drug being ineffective. Strict quality controls need to be in place."

pamela7767 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "Having anxiety my whole life I never sought help and always hid it. Eventually it led to depression which I covered up too. The final nail in my coffin was when I acquired a parasitic infection in my gut l. The infection left me with permanent irritable bowel syndrome which I suffer from every day. For a year straight I seen numerous nerve pain experts and probably had 100 pill bottles in my drawer which nothing helped. My first psychiatrist started to prescribe medicines I already tried which I denied then asked for 5mg valium. Miracle drug that took all pain away, physical and mental. After 2 years decided to stop which was a devil's ride to hell. Miracle drug with insane withdrawal when stopped even tapering. Back to being miserable now."

Anxietysux (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 7, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I was on diazepam for about a year and then my pcp decided that I should try valium. I was on diazepam for over five years and I was leading a productive life. No anxiety, no panic attacks, I slept just fine taking 5mg. 3 times a day. I had a failed knee surgery and lower back problems and the valium helped with it all. Than in August of 17, a girlfriend of mine told me about a pain management clinic that she goes to. I checked it out. The doctor said before we start sticking needles or anything else, we have to start weaning you off the valium. I looked at him with the what are you talking about look. That was the end of Aug..First cut 9mg. Over the next two weeks the real world disappeared. I had sensitivities that I didn't know existed."

Bear135 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 19, 2017

"Fantastic drug. I can take it for ages and come off with zero effects. Everyone is different. I'd take these over any anti depressants any day. You only live once and what's the point of suffering I'd stress to a Dr if you're not allowed them. I have them for anxiety/spasms. Make sure if any brand you get/ask for actavis.. others are useless. Chemists/NHS like the useless ones as they're cheap"

Pogo28 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2017

"Don't make the mistake so many others do by taking this horrible drug. You will get relief initially but make no mistake about it, this is really addictive and before you know it you will hit tolerance and will need to take more to continue feeling OK. However you may get to the point where it actually makes you feel horrible, waking up every morning with extreme anxiety and hopeless. I've off all benzos for 9 weeks now and I'm finally starting to feel normal. Before trying this med, do your research and you'll find out how many poor souls are out there suffering every day with very little relief."

Benzo Free and Happy! (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2017

"I have been taking 5mg Valium for the better part of 25 years. I was a huge drinker with a problem so I gave up the booze 12 years ago. However I have had major problems sleeping so I take a valium at night. Doctors hate given me Valium and it really blows me out as I don't drink and don't take illegal Drugs [ I did take heroin in the late 80s and some speed .. ]. I Haven't had drugs like that since 1980. I went two years without Valium and didn't bother me at all. I don't care what they say I will take valium until I die and I love the sleep I have. I have never taken one during the day because I don't wish to go to sleep or feel that way.."

peterredd (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2017

"I find these are excellent medication Top Notch!"

Happy Hippie (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2017

"Was given 5mg to take up to 3 times per day for anxiety. Didn’t use it each day, only when really necessary. Initially worked well, but extreme fatigue was a problem. Within a few weeks I was only taking it on 2 or 3 days per week, up to 2 doses. Sometimes I would half the tablets. By that time it was only helping for an hour or two so I stopped taking it. The withdrawal anxiety has been horrendous. My GP didn’t even talk about withdrawal to me. I won’t be recommending this to anyone apart from for emergency use. I am angry that I was prescribed this so easily with no advice given."

Juju1960 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017