User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Anxiety

"Dose low 2mg 3 x day."

Nick Naminton the turd October 4, 2018

"I was put on this medication for Ménière’s disease in March 2013 I am up to 30 mg a day and it helps my Ménière’s but is never helped my anxiety. It has made my anxiety worse to the point I have panic attacks and refuse to leave home. Doctor gave it to because it helps with my Ménière’s but for some reason it doesn’t make me tired it doesn’t do anything but help me keep my balance"

AJ (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 24, 2018

"My psychiatrist prescribed Valium 5 mg 3x a day for anxiety. I didn’t tell him I had anxiety he told me I did! I had said it was depression. I never really felt anxious but took it thinking he must know what he’s doing. Well that was the beginning of the worse experience I’ve ever had. I took it as directed & within a week I started having horrible anxiety! Never did I ever have this feeling before. It was sheer panic & extreme agitation. It was especially bad between doses but even when taken it did little to stop it. I literally was in hell. How could Valium cause me severe anxiety?? Well I learned it was a paradoxical reaction. My Dr brushed it off & I ended up in patient at a hospital for 2 weeks! They gave me muscle relaxers & neurontin to try to calm me down. Then they gave me seroquel which made me a virtual zombie. These meds starting with the careless actions of a so called Dr destroyed my life for months & put me & my husband through hell."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2018

"I have a phobia about going in for surgery. I have panic attacks thinking even when my husband goes in for his surgery . I have walked out of the operating room before. I've told doctors many times that I've needed something and they gave me a low dose of Xanax which just wasn't strong enough and I had bad experiences going in for my surgeries. This one doctor gave me diazepam 5mg told me I could take one to two the day before and the morning of my surgery - so thankful for this doctor giving this to me because it helped me and I wasn't so nerved up. I definitely recommend diazepam it calmed my nerves down a lot"

All nerves (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I have been taking it sparingly for years, just 1 (max. 2) mg to send me asleep when stressed out and anxious, nowadays, with horrible tinnitus. The longest I took it was 6 days on the trot for extreme anxiety. It helps to calm down my stomach, the life-sapping stress response in the body. Then, I have a big break, try to use some of the CBT techniques I learned, then again, when it gets too much. It saved my ass many times. In the meantime drink herbal teas (Melissa, nettle, Valerian) and try to exercise (walking, cycling) and eat healthy foods (lots of vegetables, fruit in moderation and organic meats, nuts, seeds, unpasteurized cheese, etc.). I am so pleased that it is helping other people. There are times when you just cannot do it on your own. It can be hard but I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel."

XX (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2018

"I have GAD and depression ! Having surgery and pre-op tests. Blood, EKG and Dr exam. I’m so nervous can I take Valium before I go even with EKG"

Debbie (taken for 10 years or more) August 13, 2018

"totally makes me feel so relaxed and I end up falling asleep"

J August 8, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "Valium is the best benzo I've ever tried for anxiety and panic attacks. it blows ativan out of the water. Valium 5 to 10mg as needed is perfect."

SAm (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2018

"I suffered from anxiety symptoms for years! I was having panic attacks daily! By the time my dr tested for everything & finally suggested I get screened for panic disorder: I was so bad that I had not lefty my bedroom for months! I was diagnosed w/panic disorder w/severe panic attacks and agoraphobia and depression! I started on fluoxetine and 10 mg of diazepam that I take at bedtime! I immediately felt better, was able to sleep for more than 2 hrs a night! It has been 2 years and I am still on fluoxetine, 10mg diazepam and I take clonazepam during the day when /if I have a panic attack! We have tried different cocktails of medicines but this seems to work the best for me! Every person is different: be patient & you will find the right mixtures of medicines that will help u control your anxiety! Hope this helps! good luck!"

fozzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression, panic attacks & PTSD. This medicine has helped me tremendously. Only take 2mg as needed & haven’t had any addiction problems. Often times when I get so worked up my family members & doctors remind me to take Valium. I use it as a last resort only when I can’t calm myself down, so I am definitely not addicted. I only have to take it a few times a month. For me 2 mg can keep me calm for 2 To 3 days. It helped me go back to work and go out in public places. It has given me a part of my life back. It does not make me sleepy and I have not had any side effects. This is the best medication I have ever taken for my anxiety& my depression. It has helped me live life again."

TiredofAnxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

"Having been prescribed for anxiety, which is fairly effective, I recently tried 5mg of Valium for my period pain. I recently ceased the depo injections, which stopped my cramps and periods completely. The pain is debilitating, I’m curled up wanting to cut my uterus out with a knife! I added the Diazepam into the mix along with the standard ibuprofen and Codeine, which help but not completely. Within 15 minutes, I use the heat whilst waiting for everything else to kick in, I start to feel better and after half an hour am virtually pain free. I’ve read that going down on my hands and knees would help, as the uterus hangs and relaxes. I do this with the heat pack stuffed in my waistband and maybe this helps take the edge off so quickly. I look like a fool, lol, but when it’s bad, as we all know it can be, you’re willing to try anything."

katej1428 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

"I first begain taking diazepam after a long, candid conversation with my general doctor. I had used alcohol for years to suppress my anxiety. I quit that by tapering on my own, but knew I had to address the core issue if I could remain off of it. The dr. was very open and prescribed me a light dose of 2mg diazepam to be taken 3 times a day as needed. The medication worked wonders. There were (and still are) days that I would not use any, and days were I would need 2 or 3. I made sure to use the drug very carefully. So my dr. gives me a script each time I see him, every 3-6 months, making sure that I make them last. Unfortunately, people do misuse diazepam and all that really does is make it sound like a dirty drug to those of us in which it does wonders! Btw, with my insurance, it costs me just over $4 per prescription."

DR (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "15 years ago my mother gave me a Kolonopin to help me out on my first plane ride and the euphoria of freedom from anxiety was instantly addicting. I soon got my own RX and over the years I was up to 4mg a day and my anxiety wasn’t improving. A very incredible psychiatrist told me it was now just harming me and my tolerance was far too high and he amazingly got me off Kolonopin to taper with Valium because of the longer half-life. I’m now down to 12mg a day (from the converted 60!) and it’s been hell. I’ve never been so anxious and depressed. Though this is SADLY normal with tapering. I’m working with therapists and trying to keep on a schedule of exercise and deep breathing but I fear I’ll never be able to break free from these terrible drugs that are killing me. (I also lost 80 lbs and my BMI is under 17 after the taper.) While I hate all benzos for what they’ve done to me, Valium is definitely the lesser of all the evils."

IHateYouTooAnxiety (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2018

"Shame doctors don't use it for temporary help. Good stuff when not abused which I did do when I was younger. Used in moderation and works wonders"

Db (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "I average about 10 valium pills (5mg) per month. Helps with: 1) Blood pressure spikes 2) Occasional anxiety 3) Difficultly going to sleep 4) Jetlag sleep disruption-international flights 5) Have used prior medical procedure to reduce tension & anxiety 6) Can be used when wanting to reduce alcohol consumption"

Jack (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2018

"I am from the UK. I am prescribed 5mg diazepam for severe bouts of anxiety to take occasionally when absolutely needed. The diazepam really helps but please don't under estimate how dangerous these meds can be when not used responsibly. Only use under the careful advice of a qualified Doctor. So the insane hellish anxiety is calmed and soothed and I get a few hours of blessed relief with diazepam. It's like pouring a cooling balm over a painful burn. My criticism is that the effects only last a few hours and they are highly addictive and can be very dangerous and hell to wean off. Please use responsibly for short term use only if possible. Please use wisely and also read the literature that come with the meds. Diazepam has been a blessing for me when used occasionally when absolutely needed. It has provided relief from severe suffering. But I can't emphasize enough to please use carefully and responsibly, and under proper medical guidance by a qualified person."

Lilly Hill March 10, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "Hi I take Valium (diazapam) 1.5-2.5mg every second week for a few nights to help me sleep. My insomnia had become so bad it was effecting my memory and my work during the day and increasing my anxiety. I find it really helps me sleep well and function better during the day. Also reduces my anxiety and I don’t get side effects. My recommendations to take it less often so it works when you need it. I don’t find it addictive. It does have a long half life so it can build up in your system fast so that is something to watch."

Tired (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "The medication I stopped for a month off a taper. And just went back on it. I was sweeting perfusely, along with social anxiety, and PTSD. It has been a god sent medication, But the only down fall is that it can have bad withdrawal symptoms! But I was on xanax 4mg daily and Valium. The xanax withdrawal put me in the hospital but the Valium withdrawal is mild, but it is dangerous. Hope this helps someone in need of some advice!! Make sure it's only taken at the recommended dose and try too use it every couple of days not daily, otherwise you develop a tolerance."

Geez LA weez (taken for 10 years or more) February 20, 2018

"As I have really strong anxiety disorder I find it perfect for anxiety. I only take 2.5mg when needed for anxiety/panic attacks and it works within 20 minutes. It doesn't make me dizzy at all, it even makes my mind more clear."

Dia777 February 13, 2018

"After many years of suffering with major insomnia, and being prescribed many different sleeping pills that all had horrible side effects, I was finally prescribed Diazepam (as a trial). Although I'm aware that doctors do not like to prescribe this drug, I have to say that it was "the one" that gave me my life back. I take 7.5 mg at bedtime only, and have been on the same dosage for approx. 8 years. It has helped me tremendously with both anxiety and my sleeping. I also had suffered my entire life (since childhood) from cold sores (at least one outbreak every 6 to 8 weeks) ugh. The oral drug I was given to "speed up the healing process" did indeed help, but was very hard on my system(constipation...tummy upset etc) Since taking Diazepam I have not had a single cold sore in 8 years. (it's a suppressant and therefore that makes sense, as cold sores are often triggered by stress) I've been lucky in that Diazepam (valium) has been extremely beneficial for me, and very inexpensive."

November1958 February 8, 2018

"Works really well and at first it was sedative but not anymore. I can take up to 10mg a day and still function normally, I'm holding down a job thanks to diazepam. My anxiety is not gone but it's under control, though I wouldn't suggest this for daily use as you can become dependent on it."

moadej (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

"At first this medication saved my life (literally) but as time went on things slowly but surely started to get worse, feelings of unreality sometimes severe insomnia, increased anxiety & actually lead to feelings of depression. I started of at 5 mg for one year then a year later 10mg and now my 3rd year taking this medication I am now on 15mg as you can see going up 5mg each year. What I wasn't told before I took this medication is how addictive it was and as an ex drug addict they still gave me this medication. I am only 25 but this medication has ruined my life. It is ok for very short periods but do NOT take long term. If you want my advice it is do NOT take this medication it will ruin your life."

..........nameless.......... (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2018

"best drug ever, I just wish I could control use"

lewis2018 February 3, 2018

"The safest benodiazepine medicine for anxiety."

Z. P (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2018

Valium (diazepam): "This drug helps at first but it's hell in the end! NEVER take Benzos!"

Ihatebenzos (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018