User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Muscle Spasm

Valium (diazepam): "I have CP on my right side and down my back along with scoliosis and a bad pars defect for the pain and spasms I take methadone and diclofenac for the pain lyrica for the neuropathy and Valium soma and cannabis for the spasms. I’ve been on the Valium the longest. It’s a double edge sword in that I use it for anxiety and spasms. Before it I was on all the other standard benzodiazepines. Pound for pound it is the safest benzo to be on. It lasts the longest in ur system and self tapers meaning that withdrawal from it are easier than say Xanax or klonipin. I’ve been on Valium for almost 10 years and it has helped tremendously. With it I can get out of bed every day and have quality of life. Recently I switched from generic to name brand"

Kaiser soze (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I was put on Valium 5 mg. ( generic Diazepam) twice daily for 2 reasons. Severe muscle spasms, and anxiety. It works well for sleeping, and I do not wake up feeling hung over like I was on Robaxin. I am a Nurse's Aide and Valium can be highly addictive, so I only take it as needed when spasms and anxiety are bad."

Montysd (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2017

"I was given 10 mg of diazepam for these crazy muscle spasms I get. Usually after work when I try to relax on my recliner is when these spasms will kick in. I am also waiting on a hip joint replacement that I will never afford. Last week after taking 10 mg of diazepam not only did my spasms subside but the pain in my hip has substantially decreased. Very manageable pain. Only the diazepam was taken no pain pill of any kind were take. I stopped taken the diazepam for 5 days and the pain and spams returned. Start taking it again and pains has subsided along with the spasms."

Brutus1951 October 2, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "I take 5mg as needed at bedtime. I have severe muscle spasms, shoulder, and neck pain. I use aleve, advil, and diclofenac and still have pain. I was waking up with terrible tension headaches before using this. I only take it when I feel the tension at night. Regarding other comments on addiction - I have taken benzos for YEARS (on/off and never daily) and I have never become addicted. If taken only as needed, it's a great drug."

SunflowerRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

"I've tried most of the muscle relaxers - flexeril (cannot tolerate), skelaxa (unfortunately cannot tolerate) and Robaxin (not quite strong enough) for a tight and unrelenting piriformis. 5mg of good old fashioned Valium takes care of it in the evening. Too bad it's sedating otherwise it would be my go to med during the day for this tight muscle - that despite loads of PT, massage and stretching I am unable to get to let go. I really appreciate Valium for this!"

Boterosmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2017

"I am on Diazepam to treat Stiff Person's Syndrome and related anxiety symptoms: fear of heights, open spaces... Anxiety, stress and loneliness are increasing, though muscle spasm and stiffening attacks no longer occur"

L M-S (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2017

"I have taken this for different reasons and since 1972 I have had the dosage changed same amount but different time to meet my current need. Making the dosage 6 mg total per day. I take it in the am, mid afternoon. bed time. collectively 6 mg. How ever, I am now into eye injections for wet macula degeneration. I take 2 mg before I go in for inj. it is not pleasant, but working well for me. I use my walker a good part of the time to keep good balance. I also practice yoga. I do have a difficult time with meds. so, I stick with this. but have added magnesium as a relaxer helper . It work wonders. I am in my 80's, and doing well. The degeneration of the macula ,being the worst part. But I do very well, an am greatful for the valium as it works."

spinal stenosis sciatica, August 14, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "You know perfectly well this drug is HELL and the withdrawal of it is obscene if you even make it. How DARE Doctors not let patients know this up front. It is criminal. For years this withdrawal issue has been known and HIDDEN from patients and even doctors. It has ruined my life and many others. MILLIONS of others. SPEAK UP."

maryjuneopper August 4, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "My new GP has been recommending Valium for over a year for chronic mid-back/facet joint paint and intermittent neck pain (bad disks from C3-C5) and sciatica/torn labrum at right hip, but I resisted her recommendation. The chronic back pain flares every night, and often wakes me up and forces me out of bed. It takes several hours for the pain to recede every morning, which is demoralizing. Three nights ago I started taking 5 mg of valium at bedtime, and each morning I've awakened with less and less pain so that I'm hardly taking any pain medication during the day. Fingers crossed that I can continue to take this dose at bedtime - the other testimonials on this website are giving me hope that this might be the case!! Hallelujah!"

CA Mom April 4, 2017

"I have a bulging disc (right) lower back also get sciatica from time to time and pain in right shoulder. This is not my main complaint though. I have some form of nerve/muscle damage that causes severe random muscle/nerve spasms/twitching like a trapped nerve and random pains daily ever since I was hospitalized with a anxiety attack back in late Sept. 2014 I've had to put up with constant pain on a severe level daily and constantly uncomfortable from severe spasms like a trapped nerve daily along with severe chest pain in heart area, palpitations random muscle/nerve pains but severe, also daily. Some docs say nerve damage some say fibromyalgia Val.10mg x2 daily although I take it off & on helps alot."

Dub1992 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "Silver bullet for lumbar muscular spasm. 5mg at bedtime."

Jésus im Edimbourgo March 2, 2017

"Had a very nasty Lumbar disc prolapse which was causing pressure on my Sciatic nerve, I was prescribed 2mg Diazepam and Codeine (which I haven't taken). Ordered to take the Diazepam 3x daily but I've always been sceptical about taking medication, however certain mornings/evenings became unbareable therefore I bit the bullet and took the Diazepam. To my surprise within 20 minutes symptoms reduced, hopefully returning to my beloved sport within 4 weeks now! I must add I have been undertaking mobility exercises and stretches which I believe is reducing symptoms as I'm feeling the need to take less medication and I'm gaining more range on my stretches now."

OneBomb February 27, 2017

"I had a nerve block that went horribly wrong. I was put on naproxen and a muscle relaxer to help with the lumbar muscles that were damaged. I was still in pain but I remembered that my wonderful GI dr said low doses of xanax or valium helps with pain. I tried adding valium and the combo of the 3 got rid of the pain in a matter of days."

Yoshigibbs February 2, 2017

"20 months ago strained lower back doing commercial door contract in addition to world training for a swimming comp, slight strain combined with underwater dolphin sprints with fins on wouldn't allow my damaged/strained lower back muscles to heal, inturn they became more and more tense and sore until spasms began and finally a massive spasm floored me. Doc gave me a course of 6 Diazepam, I think 5mg, 1 every evening so as not to feel drowsy during the day. These combined with a stop to my training and the spasms stopped almost that day and allowed my back to heal. Due to work back on them, I'm confident they will work but I do find after four days or so that of an evening they make me feel euphoric. This drug helps me to function pain free"

Bill Bumble January 22, 2017

Valium (diazepam): "Valium has helped my spasms in my back better than any other muscle relaxers. I have been taken it 10+ years and after that long of use I really never get the sedation that I did when I started taking it. I take 10mg 3 times daily and have not found anything yet that works well for me."

rodney58 (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

"End up a A&E screaming in pain in neck & arm, any movement made it worse. Back there following night even worse, even though I was given 2mg diezapan & codeine. Zero effect. Emergency appointment with GP increased to 5mg. Lots of sleep but no pain relief at all, if anything got worse. 6 weeks off work. Seeing specialist for CT scan and having something injected. This was caused by cheap nasty keyboards as speed more important than ergonomic keyboard or regular breaks to stretch or proper desks. Tired of being tired."

Jillygo (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

"My Doctor first put me one muscle relaxers and ibuprofen and my pain was 8-9 so much worse so then I saw her again and she gave me diazepam and now my my pain is a 4-5. Feeling so much better."

Happy mom343 November 6, 2016

"I've suffered from lower lumbar pain for the last few months, complicated by sciatica. Took my first 5mg does last night, no more leg/butt spasms and finally slept like a baby... My GP recomended to only take it for 7 days, so i hope thats enough to help get my leg somewhat back to normal - along with a regular stretching routine (which i struggled with even after weeks of physo). Found the messages below very informative, good luck to all"

Danny 2016 November 1, 2016

Valium (diazepam): "I suffer from 'restless leg syndrome' and 5 or 10 mgs of diazapam when I go to bed really helps. I suffer it about 5 times a year and it lasts a week or 2."

Mattoko October 23, 2016

"As prescribed by my doctor .for my muscle spasms(taking it along with iboprofen 600 mg.) Hasn't made a dent on my pain.h e only gave me 7 to take 1 at night ..but my pain is worse so I have taken during the day; having 3left..my pain started when standing up and walking ..but now is when laying down in bed too! Should I ask for a stronger dose?"

Mr.pain September 28, 2016

Diazepam Intensol (diazepam): "In conjunction with a work-up for what was determined to be peripheral neuropathy, I began having severe muscle spasms in my back, neck, legs, and now my hands. Baclofen, and later Zanaflex, worked well at first but eventually no longer managed The spasms so my primary care doctor added Valium for breakthrough spasms. It works very well and I used it sparingly, but after A change in pain management physicians, benzodiazepines were banned because I was taking opiates. I'm miserable without at least some relief from the constant spasms and have nothing to take to prevent them during procedures where I must be still and not at risk for any spasms."

Atypical everything (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2016

"I am 29 years old and suffer from a torn disc at L3/L4 and a herniated disc at L4/L5 that is causing severe spinal stenosis. These injuries cause severe spasms and sciatic pain. 5mg Diazepam 3-4 times daily when I suffer a flare up and the pain and spasming eases within 2 days. I also am allergic to opiate medications so this really is a life saver along with meloxicam 15mg once daily for inflammation."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

"I take this med for pain and it works very well. Theres been points of time where this is all I had and I was greatful to have it I do recommend it to anyone who needs pain to go away."

KimberlyE33 August 20, 2016

"I have been taking diazepam 5mg tablets daily for about 1.5 years, alongside various painkillers dependant on my pain levels, the strongest of which is oramorph. I have a genetic condition called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. It presents itself in many ways but the symptom I'm explaining today is frequent joint dislocation. I dislocate various joints 20-30 times a day, bigger joints esp hips require morphine and diazepam. The diazepam works well for the spasm that surrounds the affected joint, meaning I can relocated it easier. The sedation effect goes away after a few days. I've never felt addicted to this med but I know it is addictive for others. Sometimes I will take 10mg for a bad dislocation. I highly recommend it if you stick to the dose."

Jojo89 July 22, 2016

Valium (diazepam): "This is ny preferred muscle relaxer when I deal with sciatica flare ups. Was prescribed flexiril once and it did nothing for me in 4 days. Asked the doctor to switch me to this and she gave me a 6 day predisone pack and halfway through 6 days of that and the valium and I am starting to feel way better."

Shughart (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016