User Reviews for Diazepam to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

Also known as: Valium, Valtoco, Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diazepam Intensol, Diastat Pediatric

Diazepam has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal. 81% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Diazepam Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Diazepam

BAH · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “Was struggling with moderate to severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms, was prescribed Valium after a GP’s visit as I was sure that otherwise it would have been A&E. Cleared up 90% of the worst symptoms, some are still present but have been minimised. Was a life-saver for me as before I booked the appointment I considered more alcohol as I couldn’t handle the “fear”, weird heart rate and constant tremors. At its peak the symptoms and anxiety combined made me feel like I was going to die.”

With it April 20, 2020

Valium (diazepam): “Valium is great to come off alcohol or any drug however you do not want to take this for more than 10 days. See therapy to sort out the real reasons your masking your hidden troubles to become FREE. Valium is a DANGEROUS ADDICTIVE drug once you have been on it more than 3/4 weeks. You will only be left with your stuff to be dealt with. Short term .”

Alfaa September 8, 2016

Valium (diazepam): “This is the second time I am taking diazepam for alcohol withdrawal. It helps me relax, be less anxious, stopped my trembles, overall it helped a lot. I do feel quite tired though, I hope I will be able to fall asleep. The pills saved my day. I found 5 mg to be too small a dosage for me. Good luck out there!”

bergersee March 27, 2010

Valium (diazepam): “I have been taking valium for the last 10 years. Before I was a raging alcoholic and always put myself in danger because of the effects of the alcohol,it should be illegal because it is a terrible drug, my life has been normal for the past ten years now and I have a happy family thanks to one little pill.”

Anonymous May 23, 2010

Valium (diazepam): “I've been on and off diazepam a few times over the last 10 years. The latest is for alcohol withdrawal and it is an absolute God send. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since I got the latest prescription and my appetite has increased and I'm sleeping much better. I was prescribed 30mg a day and haven't needed the full dose most days.”

lee25 August 27, 2015

Valium (diazepam): “I'm on low dose of valium. I'm not complaining as it's helping to stay off booze. I just try as well not to drink cause I don't want to take more valium than what is recommended for me and its really great. It's also helping drug cravings. Started exercising as well so I'm hoping to get off valium soon replace it with gym but meanwhile its really helping.”

Sadguy · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “Bad Alcoholic collapsed and hit my head ended up in hospital UK. Not much treatment out next day, also have autism, I got 2mg valium for use when needed to two the 1st day, three the 2nd day and I wake up highly agitated and soaked in sweats. It hasn't relaxed me much, I was heavy drinker from 1995, then 2003 started to drink everyday, hospital and rehab since 2015, just binge drink now and have gastritis plus liver damage and cysts on left kidney, not having a good time :(”

StayHopeful · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2018

Valium (diazepam): “Valium has been a God-send for my benzodiazepine taper. On it a Month now as of March 22,2018. It is very relaxing and mild now but at first it was very sedating for the first 5 days. I take 10mg 2x's a day. I am being tapered off of Klonopin after 12 years on that drug. K-pin is HELL to get off of alone. Glad my psych doc is open minded and dropped the k-pin immediately and switched me to Valium, after I told him about the Ashton Taper Method, and that I wanted off the Klonopin because it was giving me bad withdrawals if I missed a dose. If you are serious about getting off of benzos I URGE you to google the Ashton Taper Method.”

Gary · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

“I have some problems with alcohol mainly because I use it to relax myself as I have a history of anxiety since being a little kid. When I start to drink I drink every night quite heavily then pass out & after a month or so of this I start to get awful withdrawal during the daytime with symptoms like depression, bad anxiety, depersonalization, panic, sweating, really fast heart rate. Just awful symptoms which my doctor said is alcohol withdrawal so he's put me on 5mg of Diazepam 3x a day & it's been great not felt the need to drink alcohol. I do realize I'm basically swapping one substance for another but I plan to not take anything soon. Good luck anxiety is a real pain your not alone.”

Cassper January 26, 2020

“I’ve been on Diazepam for a couple of days now while I am detoxing from alcohol. I only experienced mild/moderate withdrawal symptoms so it’s safe for me to detox at home on a medication schedule to ease withdrawal symptoms. I’m taking 10mg every 6 hours and will then begin to taper off it after a few days. It’s been a godsend in that the anxiety, palpitations, shaking/tremors and agitation has gone away, but as many others mentioned, it makes me drowsy after I’ve taken my dose. I can still go about my day doing housework or cooking food, but I feel kind of floaty & drowsy while I do. I can’t work while I’m detoxing and taking Valium, because I wouldn’t feel safe to drive. However, by the time I’m due for my next dose the drowsiness has pretty much subsided. I think that the only withdrawal symptoms it hasn’t helped with is sweating, however it is also the middle of summer so it’s hard to tell if it’s withdrawal or the humidity!!”

calmest · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 11, 2019

“I wanted to reduce my daily drinking so I decided to swap out the alcohol with diazepam every other day. I need something at night to calm me down and drinking every day was a bad idea. So every other day I don't drink and instead take 5 mg diazepam. I'm able to fall asleep and don't miss the booze on the days I take it. Too much of anything is a bad thing and this way I spread my risk.”

Mspixie 76 · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2020

“I was given diazepam for severe alcohol withdrawal. It was given to me in quite large amounts as I was having hallucinations, severe anxiety and I was dehydrated from sweating. It did stop all of the above and I felt a lot calmer. I was tapered off over a period of 4 days. My body felt like it had been “run over” but I was alive. Thankfully. This drug really helped.”

Semple January 10, 2018

“Went cold turkey coming off alcohol and I had to go to hospital for withdrawal. They gave me Valium there and it helped a great deal. Relapsed again last month and decided to stop again as it's ruining my life. Tried to cut down on alcohol slowly but it wasn't working so stopped drinking one day and started getting the shakes and my heart rate went right up, I had to have wine and it went back to normal. Went to the doctors and explained I wanted to stop drinking, he gave me Valium to take so I could stop right then. What a god send. Took two last night and slept through the night without waking up with the sweats or shakes. Not needed to take any throughout today but will probably have one tonight to be safe from seizures.”

BenzoDiazepam10mg · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2016

“I was a benzo/opiate addict for 10 years. Using strong narcotics including H, Methadone, Oxycodone, Xanax, and Klonopin. I was given Buprenorphine (Subutex) and Diazepam (Valium) for Detox. The Diazepam was a god send. It helped tremendously with both detoxes. It wasn't easy of course, but I fought it through. Diazepam is a thumbs up for detox!”

R. M. · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2018

“Had to go to an inpatient hospital stay because of alcohol withdrawal syndrome. after 10 days of treatment, coupled with vitamin B-complex for repairing the damage alcoholism caused, I was released completely 'cured'; no shakes, no sweating, and I was thinking more clearly. It was as effective as an antiviral medicine for a Flu. A problem might be with taking the medication properly. Because I was inpatient I didn't have to worry about dosing, remembering when to take it etc. Treatment for alcohol withdrawal syndrome has to be with help of someone other, because a patient is very disoriented and confused.”

Rob · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

“I have dropped the alcohol percentage of beer I drink from 8 % to 5 % now down to 3.8%...There is a 2.1% I am attempting to nurse tomorrow and combine it with valium, then drop out the ETOH all together, and use valium...I hope it works, I have twenty 10 mg pills, I figure I'll start with 5mg 3 X a day, and then switch to Vistaril, then melatonin.”

Revenant · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2019

“I took this for opiate withdrawal. Sober 10 days and still having Post Acute withdrawal syndrome. Was a lifesaver to take this to help sleep. And also help with cravings. I only took one 10 mg for the last two days of my withdrawal.”

SJH · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2018

Valium (diazepam): “This medication reduced my withdrawal symptoms significantly, Although I still had some anxiety. Valium reduced tremors, sweating, insomnia and agitation.”

Anonymous December 7, 2015

Valium (diazepam): “A good choice just to help. Withdrawal from drink are not as bad as so many people make out. If you really want this, you will do anything to be clean. I'm sober 6 years.”

unlearnit April 13, 2008

Valium (diazepam): “Valium has asissted me a lot in my recovery of alcoholism.”

Franklin77 August 11, 2018

Valium (diazepam): “Diazepam got me off my addiction of Xanax (9 years) and it also calms alcohol withdrawal effects.”

dothanguy · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2021

Valium (diazepam): “It has been a lifesaver. It reduces the shaking and agitation from alcohol withdrawal. I am looking forward to being off the booze and the valium. It does help.”

kruuuisy March 30, 2015

Valium (diazepam): “It has really helped me right at the most important time to calm down and not bother with severe drinking.”

pompey January 8, 2010

Valium (diazepam): “So far it has stopped the normal vomiting and shaking when I try to stop. I have also had an increased appetite. ”

Jadejulie · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 12, 2019

Valium (diazepam): “I have been prescribed diazepam but I've not been taking them as I don't think it is safe to drive my kids to school.”

Learn more about Alcohol Withdrawal