User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 8 reviews 141 medications

7.2
Trichotillomania 2 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1746 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been taking Lexapro 10mg (5mg at first to build up slowly) for about 6 weeks. I did feel nauseous for a few days. I noticed a change about a week after starting. I take lithium and Wellbutrin- but those only seemed to help my anxiety. I still had intermittent depression- I would just get into these moods where one little thing would put me in a fog of sadness and hopelessness. I cried a lot, was distracted, and had a lot of negative racing thoughts. My provider recommended Lexapro since it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I just feel normal. I don't feel like things are dulled - just that I can control my reaction better. I can feel sad, but I don't feel depressed. I don't dwell on feeling sad."

EllieEight July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I took Lexapro for 10 yrs. Yes it's helps with depression, but my vision became impaired. I have had three unexplained strokes. I had an inflamed bladder on a regular basis. I had unbelievable weight gain. I forgot how to use simple household appliances. I have been off Lexapro for over 8 months now, and I have lost 65 lbs and most of the other issues have cleared up. I didn't realize what was causing all these issues I was having tell I came off this drug. On the up side, while I was taking Lexapro I didn't care."

ranger2012 (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "After struggling with some intense bouts of anxiety and depression the past year, I knew it was time to seek help. My doctor prescribed me escitalopram at 5 mg., and I am already feeling some positive effects after 3 weeks. Before I started this medication, I was sleeping most of the day, had no motivation, isolated myself from family and friends, dreaded work, and was overall just a miserable person. No, this medication doesn't make my life perfect by any means, but I feel my moods are stabilizing and I feel more confident in myself to handle my anxiety and depression in healthier ways. I am beyond grateful for this medication, and I hope to see even more success as time passes."

Chrissy1994 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started Lexapro for lifelong depression and anxiety, which at times has been quite severe. I have tried probably about 3/4 of all your typical SSRI and SNRI drugs. Some were kind of helpful, some helped a little while then stopped, some made things worse. Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it about seven months now and feel better than expected. I am not overwhelmed as soon as I wake up, which was a huge reason I slept all the time. I generally feel positive most of the time. One added effect I was not expecting was my concentration, focus and memory seemed to improve. My social anxiety has improved significantly, which was a huge issue for me. This helped me. Keep searching til you find the right med FOR YOU"

julie6485 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Hi guys i would like to share my experience with you , I'm 26 years old and this is my 3rd week on escitalopram 10mg, 3 days ago I started feeling annoying symptoms: 1- a lot of gas 2- stomach bloating 3-stomach feels full Is this normal? Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me ."

Jad lebanon (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I switched from Prozac was feeling amazing but there was one problem. It constipated me. I tried to stick to it but it never went away. I do suggest you try this medication because it worked amazing just couldn't handle that side effect. GOOD LUCK"

Wlunate June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro was fine. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't awful. It did lessen my anxiety, but not as much as I had hoped. Every time I went up in dose, I would start to dissociate more frequently, so that didn't really help. I completely lost my ability to orgasm, was constantly constipated, had headaches, and needed 10-12 hours of sleep a night to even begin to function the following day. Coming off of Lexapro was a disaster. I had brain zaps and sweats, and developed major depression, which I hadn't really dealt with ever before."

Courtney1123 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've only been on it for a couple months but it seems to have kicked in. I distinctly remember the moment I felt it; it was a sort of euphoria that felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After that, it definitely died down. It has helped with anxiety and agitation, but I don't feel like it has been doing anything in the way of depression. It's also flattened me out quite a bit in lieu of helping me feel more balanced. I'm going to wait a little longer and then probably try something else."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was suffering from intense emotional pain for year's & year's. Had tried to commit suicide so many times I've lost count. This went on & on & on & I was so lost. I'd tried so many different medications & none of them worked. I used to sit in my bedroom rocking backwards and forwards crying everyday. I self harmed so much my arms are now really ugly. Just couldn't die. Then..... escitalapram! Wham! It all went! Just like that. Literally 2 day's later after I started taking them the pain was gone. I've been on them for 5 week's now & I have never been happier! It's like a miracle! I look forward to each day & I'm doing thing's I haven't done for so long again. I can breathe. I'm free! :-)"

Big H (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Anxiety lifer here. My demon has gotten cruel in the past few years by manifesting itself in severe premature ventricular contraction (PVC's) every time I start to leave the house or get in a slightly stressful situation. After a massive panic attack on a flight home from London to DC, I decided I had enough. I told my GP I want to go back on Lexapro. Like every other time, Lexapro works almost immediately for me - my PVC's and agoraphobia have muted drastically on only 5mg a day! Yes there is slight weight gain and potential sexual side effects but I'll take those over the other stuff any day. It's cliche but I do feel like I have my life back. I even ventured out for a run around the city tonight with zero PVC's. Sucks being on a drug but I'm ok with it today."

CorbettTheFirst June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on Zoloft (Sertraline) in the past and now Lexapro. I find them equally effective and no real difference in side effects. Insomnia, dry mouth and yawning/jaw clenching for the first couple of weeks which is unpleasant but transient. My anxiety levels started to improve after a couple of weeks but didn't notice any major improvements in mood for 6-8 weeks and took 3 months to reach full effect. Definitely has helped me and I intend to stay on it long term. I have also tried valdoxan (agomelatine) in the past which did absolutely nothing for me and I went backwards while on it. SSRIs seem to work better for me."

Susie121 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I am on month 2 of starting Lexapro. I was on Celexa for 4 years top dose and the benefits were declining for me so my physician prescribed 20 MG of Lexapro to start with. Initially I had no side effects the first month. Now am finding that I have been having night sweats, strange vivid dreams and all of a sudden bad acne on my face and neck that I never really had before other than the occasional PMS breakout. My energy level has been wonderful as I was really starting to feel exhausted all the time for no reason while on Celexa and my attention span had dramatically increased since starting Lexapro as I used to have trouble keeping attention."

Orrwhat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I'm on lexapro 3 weeks now. I use to wake up every morning angry, argue with everyone, not talk to anyneo and generally be an introvert.The waking up angry has stopped, I crave being around people now. I started these for 2 weeks before, came off then then went back on them due to stress and arguing with my boyfriend. I'm interested in applying for jobs and getting my drive back so I'll see after 2 months.N o weight gain and all my negative thinking is gone"

MarySue19782 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I read so many scary things when I started Lexapro for GAD but I was so desperate to get my life back! I tried Zoloft and it had a really bad effect on me. I switched to Lexapro 10 mg after two weeks on the Zoloft and it took a bit for the Zoloft to leave my system (maybe a week)? After a couple weeks on Lexapro 10 mg I went to 15 mg. After one week on 15 it was like a light switch went off in my head. All the anxiety is gone. I had a lot of start up side effects most notably increased anxiety, lack of appetite, waking up with panic attacks and just feeling like crap. But at that point where it kicked in, all that is gone. I feel better than I have in years!!! Not the right med for everyone but give it a chance to see if it works for you."

AwesomeGurlz June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I used to suffer from panic attacks frequently that made me feel like I was constantly about to faint or have a heart attack. It was so bad at one point I couldn't leave the house. I was extremely worried about taking this (probably as a result of GAD I was diagnosed with) but I've been on lexapro since November last year and haven't had a panic attack since! It was hard getting used to lexapro at first and I experienced visual hallucinations upon waking up, but a small dose of valium helped take the edge off. Now anxiety isn't interfering with my daily life and I barely think about it. I'm now learning meditation, CBT and looking after my physical health so I can wean off the drug later in the year when I'm mentally ready for it"

Eloa7 June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed this med for GAD/anxiety. Worst 10 days of my life. Nausea, retching, dilated pupils, insomnia and vivid dreams, but worse yet near constant panic attacks. Coming off it now. I understand this drug helps many people. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Babe20 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Slowly increased over the course of 5 months from 5mg to 10mg. Its been 3 weeks on the 10 and I still feel a little uneasy at times or an intrusive thought here and there but nothing compared to how I was before I started the Lexapro. I suffer from MMD and anxiety, symptoms being derealization and depersonalization. Thought I was going crazy. The medicine has helped me tremendously! I just wonder how much longer I need to give myself on this increase........"

ACbarber35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have Post traumatic Stress disorder. It came about because while at work I was doing a routine check on housing and found a deceased person that had been there over 7 days :( at first I was on an adrenaline for a month then it started to affect me.. Ie. Had NO appetite and lost 12kg rapidly to where everyone telling me I'm looking sick and waking up every morning at 3am with flashbacks of what I saw.. And smelt and the fly's:( then realised I had lost a patch of hair on side of head.. Went to Dr who put me on lexapro.. took only 5mg for first four days and felt zombie like.. Nauseous and generally like crap.. A bit anxious still! Too hard to cope with when you have a 3yo.. Dr upped it to 10mg.. Made me sicker and woke every 2hrs through night.. Took 5mg yesterday. & today and never again 14days of hell"

flashbackgirl (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "extreme increased anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have anxiety and slight depression due to stress. This is my first week on Lexapro and I was given 10mg which I couldn't take as it made me very out of sorts, dizzy, stomach issues. So cut it down to 5mg symptoms are still there with the "out of it" feeling dazed and my body feels kinda tingly/numb and I have a headache which I don't know if it's Lexapro related or allergy related. Also makes me jittery. I'm really sleepy too and I take it at night. Not sure I'm going to keep taking it. I don't like this out of it feeling. But I am calmer and not so quick to yell at my kids."

Angrybartender June 12, 2017