User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

7.5

13 reviews
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.8 1,952 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "On day 11 of generic lexapro and I already feel a difference I'm hoping its only going to get better from here"

Nikole909 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been suffering from severe intrusive thoughts about suicide for the last few months. After researching online I feel OCD is the best fit for what I am going through. Constant thoughts and seeking reassurance, and mental checks that I won’t act on them. After trying to get through it on my own, I finally broke down and went to the dr. He prescribed 5mg daily. Hardly any side effects and after the first 10 days I felt amazing, I thought I had found a miracle cure! I was able to think rationally and intrusive thoughts drastically decreased. Now I am on week 3 and feel like I am back to where I started. I think it is common that this can happen and hopefully if I stick it out for 6 weeks I will feel great again. Fingers crossed!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "After a series of deaths I slipped into depression to the point that I didn’t remember what it was like to feel normal. Basic chores became an overwhelming nightmare. I was constantly thinking about death & cried at the drop of a hat. A year of therapy didn’t help. All I aspired to do was lie in bed. I used to have hobbies but depression robbed me of initiative. I started Lexapro 10 mg & felt a difference within a day. The first week I would wake up feeling hyperactive (I take it at 7 PM and would wake up at 2 am). That went away. I am shocked at how quickly I fall asleep now! I used to toss and turn for an hour trying to shut my brain off. I now fall asleep in 20 min & wake up feeling good. I no longer ruminate or let thoughts spiral out of control. I laugh & even go grocery shopping which before was too exhausting. I have energy and when I want to do something, I do it! I am so grateful for Lexapro. I didn’t know how much I was suffering, or how much my life was passing me by."

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Pros : 10 mg of Lexapro does well treating anxiety. Cons: Cannot have an orgasm, numb to feeling any sexual pleasure. Solution: Added 300mg of Wellbutrin which helps to make sex enjoyable (reduces the numbness and helps with sex drive), but still haven't had an orgasm during sex since starting Lexapro about 8 months ago. Basically, you have to trade in your sex life to live a life without anxiety. It's like how Ariel from The Little Mermaid had to trade in her voice to become a human. For me, the sexual side effects are equivalent to Paxil. "

Girl in her 20's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been on lexapro 10mg for 5 days, can’t tell much difference just yet. Only side effects are slight headaches from time to time (not a full blown headache), tired, decrease in appetite, had diarrhea once. Trying to stick it out. On the downside my new doctor doesn’t prescribe lexapro so eventually I will have to switch to Celexa soon which I don’t know how I feel about that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Was suffering from depression. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro 2 months ago & now I have major anxiety & panic attack’s 24/7. Also feeling very foggy minded and not to mention the 20 lb weight gain!!. I do not like Lexapro one bit."

DeniseH (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Currently writing this from the psych ward. Lexapro 15mg drove me to this place...long forgotten rumination and OCD returned within a week on this drug, severe derealization/depersonalisation, nightmares, intrusive thoughts etc. Even with high doses of seroquel I was still in a horrible place. Gave it 6 weeks and ended up in hospital. Will never touch it again."

roobyskska (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Made me extremely tired and I could not concentrate at work."

Tarn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "Started on Lexapro 10 mg daily 5 years ago. Wish I had taken it years before that. I’ve always been an anxious person. Even as a child. Depression set in big time in 2012 when I lost my dad. So I finally went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed lexapro. The side effects were hard for me at first. Nausea, jitters, heat intolerance, yawning and jaw clenching. But I felt so much better in terms of my mood. It was kind of a miracle for me. Like someone turned the lights in my life back on. Huge relief. Twelve weeks ago I tried to taper back my dose just to see if I still needed it. Six weeks later I was crying every day, no energy, I felt like just going away, literally, like forever. My husband is a nurse practitioner and he really saw the change in me. I agreed to go back on my regular dose. It took another 6 weeks to get back to feeling good. I will take it the rest of my life. And am immensely thankful for this medication."

Susan (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro saved my life and marriage. My anxiety was so bad I feared going to the grocery store, driving, talking on the phone, talking to neighbors. I was scared that nobody liked me, I was moody, I thought I was a bad person and parent and destined for failure. I drank every night and cried all the time bc of family issues. I was mean and irritable to my husband. One day, I decided enough is enough. My doc put me on Lexapro and I’m not looking back! Ever! I am confident, happy, focused and insightful. I’m able to be HERE and NOW instead of an anxious prison in my mind. I still have major problems in my family, but I can deal with them with a clear mind. The first days on it I felt weird, headache, anxious, dry mouth, diarrhea, shaky hands. Now 3 weeks later- I’m good. My hands shake more than they did before and it gives me dry mouth, but it’s worth it. I’m back!!!!"

Happyfeet (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been taking Lexapro for 1 year and 2 months. So far its been a life saver. I couldn't sleep for days, stopped going to work and cried about anything that made me even the slightest bit upset. For me anxiety is like a cock fight going on inside my head. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety attacks, which rarely happen anymore (once or twice a month). I would also recommend finding a good therapist. Mine helps A TON."

GreenRanger (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I live in MN and get anxious in the winters so I go on 10mg every October and it helps. Without it I get thoughts stuck in my head like assuming I said something stupid and then obsessing over it. Or trying to mind read people and always assuming the worst. This med helps shut it off and I am very comfortable being myself when I'm on it. However, I don't like being on it because it also shuts off other thoughts; like being able to actively listen to people or sharing my thoughts on a subject. I will have a hard time coming up with words and stop mid-sentence. My libido was fine and it actually helped me last longer in bed. Eventually it stops working around the spring anyways and I don't want to up the dosage or I'd be a complete moron. I tried coupling it with adderall or Wellbutrin but those caused too much anxiety and I couldn't sleep on adderall. I'm going to try something new this summer, maybe Remeron. But it really, really helps with the anxiety."

J Man March 8, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have just had 1 tab on single day. There is a feeling of anxiety depression. Restlessness. Which symptoms I have never feel before."

Am March 7, 2018

For Anxiety: "Started on these meds 4 weeks ago. 1st 3 weeks where intolerable, but I stayed with it. Nausea, insomnia, jitters, anxiety, constant yawning, brain fog etc....Finally within the last week, the side effects slowly disappeared and my anxiety went from a 7 out of 10 to a 3. Depression from a 5 to a 2. So basically feeling good! I'm taking 15mg. My only comment would be to try and have some patience with this drug. Everyone is different but I would recommend giving it a month at least. I know the side effects are terrible but once you get through that you'll start to feel better. Best of luck to everyone."

Andrew (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’m coming up on my 4th week being on cipralex . I was so afraid and against having to take medication but I’m so glad I tried it . Anyone who is unsure or scared don’t be ! This medication saved me . Before this med I was unable to function and do normal things due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks . I thought I couldn’t go on and I could never feel normal again . Although there is good days and bad days I can really start to see a difference . Some bad side effects but 100% worth it . Give it a chance and don’t give up"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hi all, coming up to week 6 on Lexapro 15mg. First few weeks were absolute hard work. Since starting I’ve been experiencing shakes, twitches, brain fog and derealisation/depersonalisation which has been really awful. I am also currently on seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg in the mornings and evenings. I have had a few glimmers of hope but am still unable to leave the house, speak on the phone etc. I have noticed my ability to cry sober coming back which may seem bad, but is actually a really good thing for tension relief. My psych wanted me to up the dose to 20mg Lexapro but I couldn’t handle it...I know it can take awhile to begin to take effect but seeing everyone improving so much in so few weeks makes me feel worried! Does anyone have any experiences with it working later than expected?"

Rubydoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was switched to this when the medication I'd used successfully for 15 years went off my insurance formulary. Although it appeared to work for the anxiety, the side effects were intolerable at the 10mg dose. After the first week it was reduced to 5mg but I still experienced terrible side effects.I had profuse sweating (especially hands and feet), couldn't sleep, trouble focusing, restless legs and worst of all, uncontrollable tremors to the point I couldn't even write a grocery list. By the end of the 2nd week, the side effects alone gave me anxiety. This clearly was the wrong medication for me. It effects serotonin and my previous med effected other neurotransmitters in the brain. I got off the escitalopram and back on my original med and within a day felt wonderful with no side effects. Make sure your doctor doesn't switch you to a med that doesn't address the particular problem that is creating your anxiety, If you have continuing severe side effects, call your doctor. I'm so glad I did."

charlie_96 (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am 46 years old. For many years I've been depressed and had anxiety attacks. I was not aware of what I was going through, I've lost friend and stopped speaking to family members. I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks and everyone is complimenting me. They say I look happy, I am glowing, I feel so alive!! I never thought I would feel this way and I am so happy. I take 10mg before bed. I get a good night sleep if I can sneak a nap during the day. I do. But I highly recommend this medication"

Worry freak (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Depression: "This is my second time on this medication. It causes extreme drowsiness for me, which honestly is the best thing ever. My anxiety and depression were causing me to only sleep 2 hours a night. In 15 minute naps. It was disasterous. Since I started taking it my anxiety gas decreased, I have the focus and desire to do things, and (most importantly) I SLEEP. I get a solid 8 hours but I have to take it right at bed time and no sooner as it puts me out fast. But it's a good trade off in my opinion"

Dorie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication has literally changed my life. I’ve been diagnosed with GAD & Clinical Depression. My depression came from the stress of my anxiety and panic attacks. I literally had anxiety about having anxiety. It got so bad to where it was causing physical symptoms that would not go away no matter how many doctors I visited. My Dr thought I had vertigo, a brain tumor, inner ear infection due to the off balance, dizziness, headaches and lightheadedness. I asked him to give this medication a shot because I thought my anxiety was caused by the thought of having a brain tumor. Since taking this, we now know it was anxiety all along. It truly helped change my life so much. Side effects only lasted for about a month. (Serious heartburn for me.) All is so well now!"

Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been on 10 mg for 6 months and it definitely has calmed my anxiety issues. No side effects except weight gain about 30 lbs which I am not happy with but still worth taking"

Dotsy February 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I’ve been on this medication for about 2 weeks and I’ve noticed my anxiety getting worse .. is that normal ? Will it get better ... I’ve seen reviews on it getting worse before better and I’m just so scared all the time I feel like I’m not myself . Please someone help me to understand if I should stay on medication"

jayandjay1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed the 10mg dose, started on a Monday. Everyday after that I woke up with major anxiety, nausea, skin tingles down both arms and diarrhea. I've lost 10 lbs in 5 days, still have anxiety when I wake, nauseous and no appetite, insomnia and skin tingles. I went off the drug Friday after starting that Monday (4 pills). I am still having morning anxiety, nausea and insomnia. I only had 1 anxiety attack before starting the drug. Slept good and had no eating issues. How long til I feel better? This has been a horrible experience for me."

TJB2018 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’m 19 years old and have severe agoraphobia and OCD. I have previously been on Fluvoxamine 100mg, Endep 15mg, Mirtazapine 45mg etc. Well, the first few weeks tapering off the Mirtazapine/starting the Lexapro were absolute hell. I am on 10mg of Lexapro. Could not keep a thought straight, nausea (I have a vomiting phobia), brain zaps, severe bursts of anger (I am the most gentle human in the world so that one was scary), no appetite, sleep disturbances etc. I am still seeing no improvement in my anxiety or OCD but every now and again I feel a glimmer of hope. I am also on 12 and a half milligrams of Seroquel in the morning and the other half at night, which pretty much knocks me out. I can’t speak to anyone on the phone, go anywhere, see anyone, I just had to cancel my Skype appointment for the second time. I have just asked my psych if I can up the dose...Seeing the positive reviews on here make me hopeful, but I just really need it to kick in soon. It’s been 4-5 weeks."

Rubydellas February 14, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since 2017. I found myself not leaving the house, in and out of hospitals, going to so many doctors for answers, not being able to drive, or even be by myself and having panic attacks everyday and so I was giving up. I found a therapist who helped me tremendously! He advised me to get on Lexapro. I was scared, I didn't want to take it and I felt like I was weak I can honestly tell you I am beyond thankful that I made myself get on this medication. It has totally changed my life in such a positive way. I do have to say the first couple of weeks were rough for me. I was dizzy, nauseous, just all the way felt like rubbish BUT STICK IT OUT. I am so thankful. Give this medicine a try but always remember you have to change the way you live your life and your thoughts, always be positive and always remember you will get out of this and you can live a happy and healthy life."

drey_95 February 14, 2018