User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Major Depressive Disorder

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.8 1,993 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Mary May 15, 2018

For Anxiety: "I went on Lexapro last year for mood swings and general anxiety, bad PMDD. Initially, I thought this medication was amazing, took away all of my anxiety BUT it also removes inhibitions. I came off of it after a year due to gradual weight gain but in hindsight, this medication caused me more problems than weight. It also caused in me some reckless behaviour that I now regret. Nothing that I cannot now fix and forgive myself but be careful. I was not myself on this drug and it could have cost me a lot."

Mands 22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for 8 yrs thanks to CBT. But I became depressed so I decided to try 5mg Lexapro. 1st week I felt apathetic & lethargic. The 2nd week I had anxiety, panic attacks, hypomania, extreme fidgetiness, internal vibrations, strange cold sensations & a fast heart rate. I tried to stick it out, but after 3.5 wks the symptoms became unbearable. After stopping, it has taken a month for my body to begin to feel normal again. After seeing multiple psychs, I believe I experieneced SSRI-induced “activation syndrome.” A genetic test later advised me to not take SSRI’s b/c I may have an “adverse reaction.” My prescribing doc did not recognize the activation syndrome but instead thought my symptoms pointed to Bipolar II & ADHD (untrue). These drugs are still experimental & docs aren’t always aware of side effects. I did notice increased positive thinking & motivation on Lexapro, but with the awful side effects it just wasn’t worth continuing."

rainbowbrite9 May 14, 2018

For Depression: "Hi I have been through some trauma as a child that no one should ever have to go through. My life has been so up and down, an abusive partner the lot. I have suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life and being too stubborn to seek help and admit that I may actually need medication to help with the past trauma. I'm so glad I did. I was taking sertraline 200mg for 6 months I lost my appetite and insomnia as well. I lost so much weight so this was wrong one for me. I then had a review recently and am on day 4 of escitolipram 10mg and Valium 2.5 only as needed for anxiety and for the first time In my life I'm so happy and at peace my mood feels balanced and all!"

Mum of four :-) (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "Hi, I suffered from anxiety for years for no particular reason. It was very difficult for me to open up to family and friends to speak about it as I was afraid of what people would think / say / how they would look at me after. I finally picked up the courage to get some help and started with escitalopram. I started on 5mg for 7 days then the 10 mg pill daily afterwards. The first three weeks definitely took getting used to as I felt quite bad at times. After that, the meds started to help week after week I could see myself progressing. I have been on the meds for 9 months now and I can honestly say it feels so amazing to have my life back. I feel like my old self again, enjoying everyday pleasures with no more anxiety. I had fairly low libido before the meds as I was feeling bad however I am only now starting to get my old sex drive back (which is awesome :)). For me, This medication gave me my life back. Highly recommend."

James (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

For Depression: "Put on this drug for returning anxiety symptoms and depression. I'm currently on 20 mg and I can say that this drug probably isn't going to do it for me. I still feel a lot of my anxiety most of the day (chest tightness, chest pain, tingling in head and tightness around head, body feels physically tensed most of the day, agitated and snappy) and the depression seems to be kind of OK. Basically, I feel emotionally flat most of the day, but some days I feel like I could just cry all day, but I don't feel like I'm able to unless I'm with my therapist. Also, I still occasionally get brief periods of panic, but all I feel is the rush of adrenaline for a brief period and then it's gone ( I guess that's a good thing; these seem like panic attacks to me except I'm not getting the typical symptoms)."

mark May 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My bloodwork was abnormal, body was expressing hypothyroidism but my heart said hyper. The past 2 years have been awful from increasing anxiety, night terrors to the point I was scared to sleep, then I started to have high blood pressure w/ headaches. A 30 year old with cardiac issues. Body would tense I had tingling in my neck and jaw I felt like I was under water my head would get foggie, sinkable episodes. I always kept my doctor in Nj. But she told me when you're ready come to me. I broke down. Being in the medical field no one likes the idea of a SSRI's. I'm not depressed. All the research. Then she told me try lexapro. Give it a month and let me know. Lexapro I was able to handle things better. A month hit and I'm like I don't feel anything. Went off it after a month for a week. Night terrors came back, sweats, my OCD was horrible. I mowed a lawn 3 times. I went back on it. Add that to PTSD, stress, thyroid and life. Lexapro has made all the difference."

CapeMay May 11, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "excellent drug!!!"

veres nikola (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I’d been on Effexor XR for 4 years & decided to wean off it in January to see if I could manage on amino acids & nutrition and I was great until my mother-in-law passed away & the issues that arise in a blended family regarding wills/money etc all got to be too much. I realised that I needed medication & talk therapy again so went to my GP & asked to go on Lexapro as I’d heard good things about using it to treat GAD. Big mistake, I was on this medication for 11 days trying to white knuckle it through the “side effects” & almost lost my mind, SSRI’s obviously aren’t for me as I had a similar reaction to Prozac. I stopped the meds cold turkey as advised by my doctor & felt better later that day, today is day 1 back on Effexor XR & my mood has already lifted. Trust your instincts, if it feels wrong it might not just be “side effects”."

Mumof2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It can cause permanent sexual dysfunction , even after years of stoppingI "

PSSD (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "This site has got me through the most traumatising few weeks of my life. Anxiety/ intrusive thoughts leading to depression after a really bad viral infection. I’ve always had anxiety but I wasn’t aware how ill you could get or how many physical effects you could have. The instrusive thoughts terrified me beyond belief and send me to the doctors. He put me on 5mg and I’ve been on this now for nearly 5 week. I’m slowly getting my life back. Hopefully as I increase things will get better. The first 2 weeks were horrendous for me. Everything got 10x worse but I’ve started to feel better each day. Try not to lose faith in this medication because it will get bad before better. I’m still having bad days but they are getting less and less."

xmissmbx May 7, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered from irregular anxiety and panic attacks so bad I would vomit and be incapacitated for days. Then a few stressful family events happened all at once and suddenly I was having panic attacks daily. I decided to try medication as I wasn’t able to calm down from my panicked state and knew something had to change. So I started Lexapro 10mg. At first my anxiety was more severe and I was feeling depressed when I had never been a depressed person before. My doctor told me to stick with it and I’m glad I did. After about 4 weeks I felt stable and happy. I had a good appetite for the first time in years and felt like I could handle day to day issues with confidence again. It’s been about 3 months now and I feel more capable and functional than ever. I would advise anyone struggling with the early stages to stick with it and to speak to a psychologist to get some coping strategies as well. It really helped me to talk to someone and better understand what was happening to me."

Nolongerafraid May 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

A.k (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

middle age (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I’m on my third day on Lexapro double dose to 20 mg. Muscle stiffness, major headache, fatigue, trouble sleeping, fast heart rate, and lower backaches. Weight gain. Blah! I tried Effexor and Zoloft. Both gave me rapid heart rate and major blood pressure. I had to go off of them and the effects of going off was like dying. I had more side affects than when I started and triple that effects. I’m hoping the Lexapro will do better and the side affects will not stay. This is my fifth SSRI."

Hyang61 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Six months on escitalopram. The first 6 weeks were really hard. Insomnia, anxiety, aches, disturbing dreams, intrusive thoughts, flu-like symptoms, stomach issues, tremors, tingling, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms did ease up some after six weeks, but never went away. They were manageable though. About 2 months ago, the symptoms increased like the drug gave out. Two weeks ago, the symptoms kicked into high gear. Horrible fatigue that can't be rested away. Insomnia is back with a vengeance. Flu-like symptoms too that make you feel awful. And the anxiety! I could crawl out of my skin right now. It hasn't eased up either. Like flipping a switch, I just started feeling bad almost in an instant. The doc decided it was the escitalopram and are weaning me off. If I can get past this, I'll never touch it again. I was on Zoloft for years prior and it worked great but you can't take it with Tamoxifen. I know escitalopram is rated well by most people, but I can't tolerate it."

CSA1861 May 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started lexapro and on the 5th day I woke up wide awake. This has never happened to me and I felt so different. I get weirded out and got up to grab some water. On my way, I feel a cold sweat and my body goes completely paralyzed. I felt a fear I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I try to scream but my vocal cords are paralyzed. I wait for death, completely terrified. Then my ears start ringing and I slowly get all my senses back. I am able to breathe again and start to hyperventilate from the panic. I was exhausted after that. I got in to see my doctor ASAP. I fell asleep in the waiting room and I can normally barely fall asleep in my own bed. He told me it doesn't even do anything in the first week and was all a placebo effect and gets upset with me because I didn't want to continue it. I don't think there's appropriate education being placed on these towards medical professionals. I realize they can help but there seems to be complete denial about adverse effects."

Lexano May 1, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Like you, you're reaching out for hope because you're going through one of the most horrible experiences in your life. But anxiety always passes, and lexapro helps your mind heal and recover. I had bad anxiety before that turned into anxiety disorder (afraid of anxiety itself). Just know that this is your mind tricking you and you have to learn no longer to be afraid of it. Lexapro will help you break the cycle and get you out of the hole quicker. Side effects were at their peak for the first two weeks, with even sometimes worse anxiety, but each day gets better. Sexual side effects subsided as well after the first 2-3 weeks as most are psychosomatic. Just try to remember your mind wants to calm down and its only temporary. I have been through hell and made it out the other end to see the light - just give it time and patience, it will pass and Lexapro helps."

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Total poison this should be banned this med literally poisoned me, never had such a bad experience from any other antidepressant med as bad as this in my entire life. I have tried all the others before, but side effects were unbearable, but never felt as bad as this awful poison. The worst bit was the fever at night times and terrifying nightmares . Please do not take this rubbish med"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I found if I took it too late at night/too early in the morning I was very groggy and constantly yawning! After three weeks of trial and error I figured the best time (for me) was to take it at around 8pm at night. I feel incredible now and I have only been taking this drug for a month. Not 1 panic attack all month. The nightmares have stopped, yet I do have much more vivid dreams which is also odd for me. I'm far more relaxed about leaving the house. I haven't had any alcohol while on this drug. With regard to "Weight changes" listed in the side effects leaflet, I only found that I lost my appetite for the first two weeks, I was struggling to get my weight back up, but my appetite has returned. After being so anti-anti-depressants I'm regretting not having taken this drug 10 years ago! I have had a great experience so far =)"

DC April 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Fantastic medication for Depression. Usually 20mg but I'm on 30mg since recovering from 2nd major depression. NOTE: Beware of the GENERIC especially by Mylan Escitalopram 10mg Mylan NDC 0378-3856-77 it was totally ineffective for myself back in 2012 and some others I know in 2018 - literally like a placebo you might have to take generic due to insurance but if you worsen have your doctor justify you need the BRAND LEXAPRO"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I was prescribed Lexapro for PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. Was on it very briefly for me to realize I needed to be off it like yesterday! Made me dissociate and have flashbacks very vividly and violently in my head for long durations of time. Also started seeing flashing lights while I was on it. A big NO GO!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've had OCD (Pure O - Harm) for 6 years. I tried everything sertraline, even the big one for OCD..Anafranil and they didn't really do much for me. My doctor put me on Lexapro two weeks ago. After 10 days it started working, the thoughts haven't gone but they're less bothersome and less frequent. I feel almost normal. I'm on 10 mg at the moment and hoping to go up to 20 mg today. I hope things stay this way."

GD1975 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Depression: "I’ve been on this for 3 months now, in the beginning I felt a very slight change. I started with 5 mg for 2 weeks, then went to 10 mg for 2 weeks and every since I’ve been on the full 20 mg. It hasn’t done anything but make me extremely sleepy all day. I waited the 3 months as recommended and I don’t think this is the one for me. I did have trouble sleeping on 20 mg, but other than that, I haven’t had any terrible symptoms. Just felt like a zombie. It’s been hard to cry, very low sex drive, hard to anger. But the depression is still there. I still have panic attacks as well. So I will no longer be taking this drug. This is the third antidepressant I’ve tried so I don’t think I’ll be trying anything else. Good luck to anyone else who is starting this drug. If you’re scared, don’t be. Start with a very small dose, and slowly increase it. You have to start somewhere."

DR (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018