User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 8 reviews 139 medications

7.2
Trichotillomania 2 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1676 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm in a very depressed mood all the time, my doctor put me in lexapro and xanax, but my depression is still there mostly cuz of money, I got way behind and that helped put me in a depressive mood, I'm 74 will b 75 on May 1 and took my granddaughter and her two boys ages 14 and 12 but that helped with my depression cuz supporting them put me behind in my bills, I'm struggling, she just got a job but its temporary, the 12 yr old is a backtalker and at my age it bothers me very much. But the lexapro does help some since my doctor upped my dosage to 20 mg, I can't put them in the street, but grandson who is 35 got divorced last yr and he helps me around the house. and I also suffer from 5 compressed disks in my low back and now travels down my leg"

dancingbug (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Lexapro was a miracle drug for me as far as treating my severe health anxiety and PTSD. It gave me my life back. I can truly say I was my normal self 98% of the time. However it caused me to have extreme muscle tension and headaches. I was even diagnosed with TMJ and was sleeping with a mouthguard at night. Weaning off Lexapro was horrific for me. It took a good 3 months for all the withdrawal symptoms to subside. Thankfully the headaches and stiff jaw got better as well. I'm sad I can't take Lexapro anymore. It saved my life. I'm about to start on Prozac. We'll see what happens."

RVAmommy April 25, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After previous years on this med I stopped for 7 mths ended up having a nervous break down and I'm now back on 10 mg daily ! I felt awful I lost 7.5 kilo in two weeks I was like a zombie had nausea felt like I was emotionless but three weeks in I feel a huge benefit. I'm not foggy headed, I'm not a basket case, I'm no longer a zombie, I'm putting the lost weight back on and feeling the benefits! I do still have crappy side effects mostly bed room related but I'm hoping in time they will reduce . This medication in comparison to Zoloft for example is much less side effect prone - well it was for me. I can sleep, I can eat, I can function !"

Ojmumma April 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I'm someone that has been generally anxious for my whole life with spells of depression sprinkled in. Recently I thought I had been improving with my anxiety but then I had a panic attack, out of the blue, with no rhyme or reason; it just happened. I was afraid this would affect my work so I finally pushed myself to see a psychiatrist, who suggested that Lexapro would be an appropriate option. I started taking it and had some nasty side affects (no appetite, nausea, slight dizziness, jitters, tenseness) for the first two days but after that I noticed how well it was working. My anxiety has lessened immensely and it's giving me a second chance I never knew I wanted. I'm still in the first week of trying it but it's worked excellently so far!"

RosyPosie (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have been on this for 4 months now and LOVE the results. I used to lay awake for hours worrying about everything and my negative thoughts made it impossible to sleep. Then there were the nightmares and panic attacks etc. There is only one real negative side effect and that is that I can no longer orgasm. My libido used to be through the roof! Now I am unable to get aroused...nothing works. It's extremely frustrating. I have also gained weight. The good thing is, I am always in such a good mood that I fail to care."

Geenie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I had tried every medication in the books, but with no success and really bad side effects. I now take 20MG escitalopram first thing in the morning. But around 5pm my anxiety kicks in and I feel panic attacks coming, but that is when I have it timed out to take 1MG clonazapam. Then around 9pm when I am ready for bed, I take 150MG Seroquel. This is absolutely the PERFECT combination to balance out my day. I have had severe depression for about 12 years with nightmares and panic attacks. I felt like life was hopeless. I was unable to make any friends because I was overwhelmed with anxiety and couldn't establish relationships. This combination has finally given me hope. I am able to be social now. I am able to feel good. Thank you!!!"

GuyWithMajorIssues April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Been taken 10mg for 3 months absolute nightmare intrusive thoughts got worse and suicidal thoughts so much time off work then this Friday and Saturday felt excellent but today Sunday intrusive thoughts back and feel quite rough just hope I start having more better days than bad days soon as it's been over 3 months. ps took these for years before stopping and they worked a treat"

WannaBcalm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My anxiety hit a high in my mid 20s & went from every once in a while to a constant drowning feeling of anxiety. When it became paralyzing, I started therapy. After 3 months of therapy & being against medication, I started to learn more about the illness, how it runs in my family & because the physical symptoms weren't going away I started Lexapro. For the 1st couple of months as I increased the mg, I became paranoid that I was going to become suicidal. I had never thought about this in my life, never depressed & was actually very happy with my life. I was just so paranoid that I would lose control of my anxiety and hurt myself. It went away and I feel better than ever. I see life differently, more grateful for every day "

Summer38492343 April 22, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Just passed week four marker on 10 mg, and am experiencing subtle but positive changes. The first week and one half was a bit disconcerting, as the heart palpitations I had increased, and my anxieties seemed to be amplified. I also developed a headache that nothing could touch, that lasted about four days. Thereafter things calmed and about week three I began to notice periods of time when I became more mellow, and my interactions with those around me seem more positive than before. Now that mellowness has expanded somewhat, though it is not consistent, nor do I feel any haziness or loss of focus when needed. No weight gain, no sexual side effects."

Crymu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking Lexapro about 4 months ago, first at just 5mg. As the weeks went by I increased it gradually to 10mg, then 15mg, and now I am on 20mg (have been for about 2 months). I have experienced absolutely no side effects whatsoever on this medication, to my amazement. However it did not really start working until about 2 months ago, it does take time. It does not feel as though I am on antidepressants, what this medication seems to do is prevent me from thinking depression or anxiety-driven thoughts...I am not super happy, but I am definitely not depressed either. It has worked seemlessly, I simply do not delve into those dark depressing thoughts anymore...and I do not experience anxiety. It's been very successful :)"

JonnyG April 19, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I went through a life threatening situation. I couldn't sleep, eat nor get my body out of flight fight mode no matter all that I tried (yoga, meditation, accupuncture, herbal remedies) I got sick and tired of the every day battle with my mind and body so I sought medical help. It was the best thing I ever did! Cipralex took 6 weeks to kick in @5mg dose (I took clonazepam to counter the increased anxiety side effects for first 2 weeks). I got brain zaps, spacey headed, sleepy and had dry mouth. It all went away within 3 weeks. I Took it for a year.. A slow wean is key to minimize coming off side effects. I did it over 4 months. It takes time to build up on your system, don't give up as weeks 1-4 are rough. After that, you reap the benefits"

Bella987 April 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on lexapro for about 4 1/2 months now. I had really bad GAD and OCD I couldn't be left alone with my kids and wouldn't drive just from fear of pretty much everything. I am taking 15mg and it's working.. not as anxious and now able to be alone with my kids and now am driving. I am just pretty frustrated because since I've been on this drug my hair has fallen out quite a bit I have half the amount of hair I used to have.. (which is hard because I do hair) and I'm also starting to see the weight gain. But It has helped a lot with me mentally. I'm kind of scared to wean off. I'm just over my hair falling out."

BISBO April 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Lexapro made me very tired all the time. I NEEDED a daily midday nap. I'm a college student so I was able to sleep at odd periods of the day, but it was ridiculous. I could get a solid 10 hours of sleep at night but by 1 pm I'd be dead tired. One time I was late picking up a kid I used to babysit from her elementary school because I fell asleep and slept through my alarm in the middle of the afternoon!! I was never the type who could take naps until I started Lexapro. I didn't stay on it for more than 6 months because being THAT tired all the time was ruining my social life, grades, work life, the list goes on."

laura1436 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffer major depressive disorder, anxiety and insomnia, also a recovering alcoholic. I was taking this medication for years to stabilize my moods. I found it helpful at 20mg, I did go down to 10mg at one point and realized I needed the 20mg. I am switching to a SNRI because although cipralex is a good medication, it numbed me out. Not feeling happy, not feeling sad. So the Dr suggested a SNRI (Effexor) because there is less numbing effect. It did help me in early sobriety thought. No side effects whatsoever."

Christicroo (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Lexapro helped me a lot! I'm on 10mg and therapy to talk through my issues I didn't realise the tight feeling in my chest was anxiety...I felt like I had that all day. It completely went away. I take it at night, the downsides are I was always active, the gym was my hobby, when on lexapro I felt not interested at all in exercise and couldn't lift weights like I used to, and I'd be tired in workouts. I often feel tired during the day and could nap, sex Drive is lowered. The plus sides are I am a lot more relaxed, able to think things through properly and it is rare for me to cry now. I don't worry and I enjoy life, I'm still myself just more relaxed, I am in a positive place. I am just slowly tapering down my medication for more energy :)"

Shellbe (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and feel SO much better! Prior to starting the medication I cried numerous times daily, had panic attacks, and just felt hopeless/worthless. My life was terrible and I felt like I couldn't function anymore. This medication has really helped me and I have not noticed any side effects so far! I have not cried once since being on the medication. I have a more positive outlook on life now as well. It's wonderful!"

MichelleR16 April 8, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "This has changed my life so much. I have been on 5mg for about 10 days. So much calmer and much less PMS which I'm in right now and feel fine. I had extreme anxiety, wanted to flee work for some reason, could barely drive 2 blocks without high anxiety, crying all the time, creating panic attacks. I'm 50 so I think it's perimenopause. That's what my OB said when she prescribed it. I had low anxiety before but this was insane. I'm so happy I feel better. I did try Prozac before for 3 days but that increase my anxiety and I had intrusive thoughts on it. Now Just a little tired on. 5mg Lexapro generic version at first but it seems to be getting better. And some dry mouth. Overall I mentally feel relaxed and calmer!! ."

AmyD1966 April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started having frequent panic attacks and anxiety spikes and my doctor suggested Lexapro. I had really bad nausea and lack of appetite the first week and had to force myself to eat to ease the hunger pains. After that subsided, I had a lot of muscle tension and soreness. It felt like my whole body was vibrating as if being electrically shocked. I was fidgeting all day, sitting in unusual postures, mistyping far more than usual, and knocking things over on my desk. After four weeks the panic attacks had stopped and my anxiety had improved slightly, but the muscular side-effects had me even more worried. I called my doctor and he switched me back to Sertraline. Tapering off Lexapro made the vibration and tension go away almost immediately."

jtr1988 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "A miracle pill! I am 23 years old & I had anxiety since childhood. It exceeded to an extent that I was unable to carry out my daily routine. I visited my therapist and he prescribed me this pill. I was reluctant to take it at first. 1st week was so bad! I could not function well because of nausea & drowsiness. Into the 2nd and 3rd week, drowsiness and nausea subsided but I was concerned about the sexual side-effects. I had trouble maintaining an erection and I could not orgasm at all. Into the 4th week, I experience no side-effects. My orgasms have returned, and they have returned stronger. I can last significantly longer in bed & most of all, my anxiety levels have dropped down to almost non-existent levels. I'm currently in the 5th week."

Escalatemymood-opram (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "It really helps my anxiety, but it makes me pretty drowsy"

Toff (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered a bad panic attack my senior year of college and that experience seemed to open the floodgates of anxiety that I had been keeping dormant most of my life. It was tough for me to get out of the house, go to the gym, see friends and family for months. I finally broke down to my mom and she suggested seeing a therapist. At first I was hesitant to take any meds but I finally gave in and started 10mg of generic Lexapro. Worked wonders and felt fantastic. I stopped taking it a year or so later thinking that I was "cured". Let me tell you, that was a mistake. My GAD has come back with a vengeance. Started up on the 10 mg lexapro about 10 days ago and I almost feel worse. Maybe it's just taking its time now but I'm hopeful it will be ok."

TryingToSeeTheUpside March 29, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hello people. 3 years ago when I was in med school, I experienced a terrible anxiety problem. It was a mixture of both, generalised anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder. I had issues attending classes, couldn't sleep at night with weeks of sleepless nights worrying and obsessing. And I decided to see a psychiatrist. He put me on 5mg lexapro and 2.5 mg diazepam daily taken at night. I was very compliant to treatment and saw a tremendous improvement in my mood with the OCD symptoms totally vanished in like 3 to 4 weeks. I was better able to handle my life and went on to complete medical school and managed to graduate as a doctor now. If it wasn't for lexapro, I don't think would have got this far in life."

MalaysianBoy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had IBS for nearly 10 years, Escitalopram 10 mg daily was a miracle for me, when I start taking it during 2 days my cramps were completely gone and as I had the diarrehea dominant form of IBS ,the constipation that is the side effect of it was good for me."

Ade Nour March 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was experiencing bad anxiety and was on cymbalta. My Dr switched me to escitalopram and it did not help at all. I am still on it and now on clonazapam. The clonaz helps my anxiety 100 percent but now my depression, especially the physical symptoms like over sleeping, not wanting to eat, diarrhea, full blown depression. Cymbalta helped all of that so now I am seeing my Dr to go back on the Cymbalta, which really helps my depression and the physical pains of it, as well staying on clonazapam. I feel like I'm in a black hole and can't get out. It's scary. I want to shake it and I just can't. See my Dr this Tuesday thank goodness. Hope to feel better soon."

Carrie b m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I began taking 5 mg of lexapro 10 days ago, for postpartum depression/anxiety. It has been a lifesaver. The initial side effects faded within a week. I take it in the morning, because I knew that it would possibly make me jittery at first. I had tiredness in the afternoon and evening and a loss of appetite for the first 5 days, but those have faded completely. I searched and searched for positive reviews on this drug for postpartum depression/anxiety and could not find any. If anyone is on the fence about taking medication for postpartum depression, please consider it for a temporary aid in getting you past it."

tiffaday March 24, 2017