User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 8 reviews 141 medications

7.1
Trichotillomania 2 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1803 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I had a terrible experience on this drug. It resulted in me having regular panic attacks, heart palpitations, caused me to become trapped in negative state and paranoid. I'm not one who reviews meds very often but this medication proved to be very dangerous for me. I spent a lot of time in a state of paranoia. My Dr did not listen to me when I kept stating it wasn't right for me. In the end I reduced my dose ( I don't condone this though ) and have been off it for around 4 months now. I can honestly say I'm doing much better , able to function, don't stay on states of paranoia etc. I'm also able to make clear choices etc."

Katbb September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was getting panic attacks, overwhelming anxiety attacks and just wanted to sleep all of the time. My GP felt I'd probably been suffering depression for over five years, and prescribed Escitalopram, which works."

IPM (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for."

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This is my second day taking escitalopram 10mg and I have fast heart rate, dry mouth and sleepy."

emelia2 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I'm on day 7 and I already see an improvement. My depression was getting so severe that I could not even leave my house and getting through the work day was unbearable. I can now eat, have conversations and get stuff done around the apartment. I don't understand why this a first line treatment for anxiety. I've noticed myself a bit more on edge, excitable, and wired since starting. Main side effects so far have been, more alertness/awareness, accelerated thoughts, slightly faster resting heart rate (around 80 BPM, before starting it was 65) and insomnia. I imagine these side effects will lessen once my body becomes used to the medication. I'm only on 5 mgs qd."

lumberguy (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was on 20mg of Celexa for 4 years for euphoric disorder. About 1 week before my period I would feel creepy cawling tingles up my spine and into my brain. I would have white hot temper outbursts. I was also abusing alcohol. Geez, great times. Now I haven't drank in 7 years. Celexa at that time was a God send. Never felt better. Than 3 weeks ago the medicine stopped working and I had to go to the ER twice in 1 weekend. The anxiety, vomitting, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats were unmanageable. Finally my friend who is a Internist suggest Lexapro 10mg. I agreed and took it just like Celexa, before bed. I woke a new woman. All side effects gone, and normal feelings of happiness are in my heart. First day, so things may change, but I'm better."

Better321 September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This stuff helps. In one month I saw an improvement. Makes my outlook positive and removed the palpitations and fear I had."

Arisen89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffer from persistent depression and generalized anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've never been into the idea of taking medication, however, both symptoms eventually got worse with age, especially my anxiety. I decided enough was enough, and accepted the fact that medication was probably my best bet at living a happier life. My doctor prescribed Cipralex, also known as Escitalopram 10mg to help both symptoms. With high hopes of finally "taking the plunge" with medication, it did not result in my favour. Within ONLY AN HOUR of taking a single 10mg pill, I was overwhelming tired and could barely get out of bed. I also began getting sick for 45 mins...out of both ends. I felt so sick and sorry I ever took this medication."

SickNSorry (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Gave me ED and make me literally into a zombie. I'd rather be depressed all day than spend money on big-pharma scam artists"

Mitt909090 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Before you read everyone's comments, understand that mental illness is not all the same and isn't fully understood. (With your doctor) you have to experiment which out works best for you. All medications take a few months to work for their full potential. Take them exactly how your doctor recommends them and take them exactly on time. I know it's hard but be patient, you'll get their and it'll change your life. I've been taking Lexapro ( escitalopram ) for a few years now. Before taking it, I tried everything in the book. I went from sweaty palms, forgetful thoughts, sweaty armpits, loss of sleep, overwhelmed with anxiety, stomach issues...etc to feeling sharp, happy and not depressed. I take it exactly within 24 hours everyday."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Began 10mg of Escitalopram, decided I needed to take it at night as it was pretty sedating - which I didn't mind as my anxiety would keep me awake most nights. I felt great great initially, moved up to 20mg; mood was up, anxiety wasn't so dwelling, sleeping was great. I work in healthcare and decided to check my BP one day and it was sky high, I'm talking 200/110. Over the weeks, I monitored the blood pressure and symptoms. About a month in, my numbers came down but was still higher than my usual readings. Mood and sleep were still going well. But then I noticed, my husband did first, that I became very fidgety - excessively chewing my finger nails, rambling and talking with out any meaning. After 6 weeks of use, my doctor decided to take me off."

A-16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Have been taking for over 10 years mixed in with a period of about 2 years when my doctor took me off because of depression symptoms subsiding. The majority of the time I have been on 10mg, last 2 years have had dose raised to 20mg. The drug has worked great for me. Terrific improvement from when I started and 99% reduction in panic attacks. Reduction in OCD symptoms as well. Well tolerated for me at least, but I realize with these medications everyone is different. It’s not perfect but the relief I got was real and changed my life. For that I am thankful."

Jay more September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I was given this to treat my depression. This actually launched me into a full-blown manic state and this is how they found out I was bi-polar. Just be careful and make sure you have the right diagnosis from your doctor."

kayyyyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This is the second time trying Cipralex. The first time for 6 months on 10mg. I struggled at that time with severe anxiety attacks that seemed to come out of nowhere, but found later on that it was caused by depression. Because I am very sensitive to medications and nausea, I fought to not take meds for fear it might get worse. The Cipralex and practicing CBT made me feel fearless. I could travel, drive, and function again. This is my second time being on it due to a new job and moving to a new province. I needed some extra support. I also eat well and exercise. I take 5mg because my anxiety/lifestyle is more managed over the years with exercise and meditation. On 5mg I actually feel so great! Increased appetite, relaxed, happy."

Calis (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Anxiety has been crazy since moving cities and hard finding work. I can't calm down. Started lexapro or the generic brand at 10mg a day. Had orgasm problems first like 4-5 days hard to urinate. Mild head ache. And vivid dreams. But I stuck it out after two weeks side effect mostly went away and doctor instructed to up it to 20mg a day and now I honestly feel no extra side effects most have all gone away already by week 3. I feel a little better about being able to control my anxiety and intrusive thoughts. But still feel kinda depressed and anti social. I'm gonna keep trying tho. Its helped the anxiety already so I think it'll take longer for everything to settle in. I take it at night cause it makes it sleepy. Wake up fine the next day."

Thisguy0000 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I would like to add to everyones into, the first day of taking your low dose maybe try take your first day on a non work day! Both days I went back on it I threw up on day one and felt nauseous. Everyone is different but that was me! My starting dose for week one was 10mg then brought up to 15. Do not let this put you off as after day one, this goes away and it's all back to normal :)"

Feelbetterx August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was on this for 2 months. It helped with anxiety, but wasn't worth the side effects. I gained weight, dry mouth, sleeplessness, and worst of all, little to no sex drive. If I thought of sex, it just seemed like work. When I did have sex with my girlfriend, I couldn't have an orgasm."

Practically Celibate (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Started at 17 for MDD & GAD, I'm almost 20 and recently dx'd w BPD now (comorbid w the above). 5mg first week, 10mg 2 years, 20mg 5 months. First week side effects inc'd but not lim'd to: yawning, sweating (esp night), brain fog, nausea, hypomania, lack of focus. These only came back with cold turkey withdrawals (2 or more missed doses). Brain zaps, muscles seizing up and panic were common for withdrawal for me too. Lexy helped me minimise/blunt emotional responses and therefore improve cognition (could still cry etc tho), also boosted my mood noticeably but not intensely. This lasted a year before this med completely stopped working at all, eventual 20mg bump did nothing. Gentle first antid.. tapering off now, prob going for SNRI next."

cappycorn (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I'm using this drug from 5 years now I have stopped as I feel good but after 5 days I feel anger and sadness . Is this due to this medicine ? I have restarted one dose but feel wore pls advice"

Khany August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I took 1 pill and had rapid heart beat and elevated blood pressure hours after taking. I did not take another, but day 2 I had a horrible headache and nausea, and I was also seeing things. I felt like I was going crazy and I wanted to do anything to get it to stop. It has given me four panic attacks in three days whereas I only ever had 2 in my whole life. This isn't worth it and I'd take depression over this nuttiness any day."

April28389495737 August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Been on it for 8 weeks. Feeling much calmer and even. Sleeping better. Lost 5 pounds which is good. Has kept my appetite down and increased satiety. Downside is high fatigue some days and maybe some reflux."

Xylophonic August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have had relationship centered OCD as long as I can remember, centering around the most important people in my life. I finally made the steps to seek out help and was prescribed 10mg of escitalopram about a month ago. I was worried about taking a medication that I feared would alter the way I think (but that's the point I guess!) but figured that I had been living with obsessive and intrusive thoughts for about 15 years, so I might as well try it. Wow. I feel so wonderful all the time. When I get intrusive thoughts, it is much easier to brush off because I don't feel crippling anxiety; I feel like I can think more clearly about what is rational and what isn't. I had no side effects and feel like now I can enjoy life better."

DTrout August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Day 4 of using this Med- I first I noticed I was very tired and fatigue - I experienced short term memory loss - I also couldn't stay focused in on a conversation.. Not for me"

Joey Klein (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "If I were to just review this drug from an anxiety/fear of social interaction standpoint, I would say that Lexapro is awesome. Lexapro has stopped me from having tremors every time someone talked to me out of the blue, and I do not mind being in the spotlight anymore during classes. For (group) presentations, I still feel physical symptoms and my tremor building up, but not nearly as much as I did without Lexapro. My biggest fear happens to be giving presentations and this is what I am taking it for primarily. I think if I were to do a standalone presentation, I would still have A LOT of difficulty focusing on the topic at hand but not because of anxiety. This drug makes it very hard for me to focus in school. Hope to go down to 5mg from 10"

Deeeee August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medicine has made a massive difference in my moods. I suffer from anxiety and depression. The first few weeks were tough with some side affects. Nausea, dry mouth, trouble sleeping, hard to urinate. However these all went away and I feel great. Started at 5mg for 1 week and have been on 10mg now for almost 2 months. It helps to see things clearly and I'm not regretting my decision to start this medication."

Goodmoodnow August 23, 2017