User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

7.2

Trichotillomania

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 7.8 1,871 reviews

Reviews for Escitalopram

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm a 25 y/o grad student who has GAD and panic disorder. When CBT, meditation, exercise, and avoidance weren't cutting it anymore, I knew I had to give something else a try. I started 10 mg of escitalopram 10 days ago and was very nervous about the horror story side effects I'd read online, but figured no side effect would be as bad as the anxiety I was living with every day (and as you experience side effects yourself, remind yourself of that!!). All I've experienced is a lot of jaw clenching, neck tension, headaches, and a little dizziness. As of today, all of those side effects have mostly cleared. Now is the waiting game for my anxiety to slowly resolve and I'm very optimistic. GIVE IT A SHOT, your anxiety is what's telling you not to."

sharing (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

For Depression: "Already the first day, my headaches stopped and my tenseness in my body. My mood evened out, I woke up ready to take on the day. I have struggled with a mild depression / anxiety for several years after a stress collapse. Wish I had started medication much earlier, it would have saved me a lot of suffering. Already 5 mg helped. I now take 10 mg."

Faysu December 11, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took escitalopram 10mg for 6 month for a light depression that I could easily cure without medication. As soon that I stopped the drugs I get IBS, it’s been 4 years now and it only get worst. It’s when I discover that this drug was effective that I understood that my IBS came from it.."

Gregory123 December 10, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medicine truly changed my life. I was afraid to go outside, FaceTime family, and even talk on the phone. A few weeks after starting this medication I began to feel like myself again and I didn't even know I wasn't myself until I was able to do things like a normal human being again. I had previously tried Propranolol to make it so my heart rate wouldn't get super high but that wasn't solving the root of the problem. I am very thankful for Lexapro and I highly recommend it if you are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder like I was. I haven't had any side effects either :)"

joshmcorreia (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Please, please, please give this medication a shot. With anxiety, your brain is not functioning normally and IT’S OKAY to use medication to feel like yourself again. If it’s not for you, it’s not for you- don’t get discouraged as there are plenty of other options out there. But please give it a try and stick it out. I did it, and I’m slowly getting my life back. A week of side effects is better than a lifetime of fear and detachment."

nervie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've had anxiety as long as I can remember. Symptoms like insomnia, eating issues, tons of intense fear around bizarre and unlikely life-threatening situations happening to me. I've also struggled with uncontrollable panic attacks during stressful times. I'm now a junior in college, and after a spell of depression (caused by panic attacks and constant anxiety), I decided to try medication (though, of course, taking meds made me anxious. Ha). I've now been on Lexapro for about 7 weeks, and I am very happy I chose to try it. I'm on 10mg, and the first week was miserable. Like everyone says, stick it out. Now, my outlook is much more positive, and I am way less anxious. Give it a shot! I'm thankful I did."

sophrick December 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm a 35-year-old woman and was on Lexapro 10mg from ages 21-30 and have been on 5mg for about 5 weeks now (staying at this dose) - both times for GAD without Depression and a touch of OCD. For the most part, I managed fairly well while off it (exercise, limited alcohol, CBT therapy) but had periods where my anxiety would flare up. My advice would be to try it. I was very anxious about idea of going back on medication (i.e. Googling all the horrible side effects) but I'm feeling significantly calmer, less anxious, and happier. I didn't think I needed medication...until I went back on medication (give it a few weeks) and felt the difference. I had convinced myself I was "OK" but really, I was "white knuckling" through my anxiety."

EOM (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "My doctor wanted me to try an antidepressant. After several years of being non-compliant with my psychiatrist I agreed to try this drug with a new doctor. She started me on 10mg. It's only been 6 days and I've noticed a marked difference in my thinking and how I feel. Most of all my negative thoughts have stopped. I'm not sitting at home feeling paranoid or angry about anything, I don't get rage fits over little things since I started, I am able to get over anger so easy like within a couple of minutes versus 2 days. I feel more energetic. I feel rested when I wake up. I just had some nausea the first day which was bad. The nausea has subsided. I can't wait to see how I feel in 5-7 more weeks :). Thankyou science"

kayladj (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

For Depression: "I feel like I have tried every medication on the market for my depression and terrible anxiety. When a racing heart prompted me to visit my local emergency room, the Dr prescribed 20mg for "stress" (aka depression). This medication has changed my life. I feel like a generally content person when I take this. I stopped for a while as I went traveling and had forgotten to refill my prescription. When I got back, I figured I had survived a week without it I would just stay off of it. That was a mistake. Went back to the Dr and got back on it. Now, I'm feeling amazing. Please please please don't give up and try this medication!"

Meagabyte December 3, 2017

For Anxiety: "I am about two weeks into taking escitalopram. The first two days were side effect free. But after that I was vomiting constantly and could barely eat anything. I have lost five pounds and I am already a small girl. I experience very mild headaches here and there. Mostly at night when I am trying to sleep. One minute I am constipated and the next I have diarrhea. Not cool. I cannot eat much at all, have NOT lost any sexual interest. Now that I am two weeks into the medication I am experiencing additional anxiety like heart palpitations and feelings of wanting to break down crying over nothing. I used to be on a higher dose of ‘citalopram’ which caused no side effects but this one is hard on my body. Hope it works for my anxiety eventually"

Shanbuch December 2, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro is an absolutely fantastic medication for anxiety. I went on it from 2014-2015 and had life-changing results, but I ended up going off because I gained 10-15 lbs. I ended up switching to Prozac, which is good for anxiety too but it is not the same. Lexapro brought me somewhat of a euphoria. I felt liberated. It feels more "pure" than Prozac. Fast forward to 2017, I have decided to try Lexapro again."

Beyonce (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Before taking this, I had general anxiety, worries, a little bit of OCD, a lot of social anxiety. Here is my experience: First month or so: LOTS of side effects. Massive sweating for no reason, insomnia, weight gain, I can't even remember what else, maybe GI issues. It doesn't matter, after I made it through that period, things began to get much, much better. Does what it is supposed to do: take away the anxiety. Amazingly. I am a different person. Only drawbacks are: decreased libido, weight gain, and a little bit of a subdued feeling. Not sure how to explain the subdued feeling, maybe that the highs aren't has high and the lows aren't nearly as low. Actually, the lows aren't a big deal at all, which is a good thing."

Ang Zi uh Tee (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "If you're reading this and feel that deep, heavy depression in your chest that makes you feel empty inside and like nothing matters, I want to tell you that it does get better and to hang in there. It won't always be like that and you'll be able to see beauty again, but you'll need to be patient and kind to yourself. I felt like that for several months before I had the courage to take Lexapro (it's my first antidepressant) and I truly wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did. I worked up from 5 mg to 15 over 2 months and I never experienced side effects, except the first few days upping the dosage where I was sleepy. My libido has increased because I feel well enough now to have an interest in it. Please know that there is hope."

Sendinghope (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

For Anxiety: "I randomly started having horrible anxiety making me feel sick and wanting to avoid all social situations. Dr put me on Lexapro 10mg and it’s been a life saver. I was worried at first with bad reviews, but I shouldn’t have been. Only side effect was dry mouth the first two days. Took about 3 weeks to work, but suddenly one day I realized I had no anxiety. It’s been a blessing."

Kim06273929 November 29, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've suffered from panic attacks/GAD for about 10yrs. I'd manage them on my own but since moving cities they started back up again. I started having agoraphobia. I don't drink as my stepdad was an alcoholic and I became obsessed about checking ingredients in household/cosmetic products to ensure they didn't contain alcohol. If I found out I accidentally used something that had ethanol in it, I wouldn't leave the house for 2 days. I stopped driving and would cry everyday and have super anxiety. I went to my doctors and she prescribed me 5mg of Cipralex once a day and .5mg Klonopin. Less than 2 weeks on meds and I'm driving again and fear of alcohol is almost gone. Amazing medication. Minimum side effects. Please try it. So happy its working."

KCZ117892KC (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

For Anxiety: "Took lexapro for 4 weeks, 5mg, didn’t have any side affects or notice any changes until the 4th week, I just suddenly realized I actually felt normal. Stopped taking it after that and then went back on it in July when I was at one of my lowest moments I had ever experienced. I had one moment where I felt I could no longer cope and understood that suicide is about taking away your own pain, not about hurting others. Been taking it for three months now and back to my normal self. Enjoy social gatherings, have more energy, not so much social anxiety. Still only take 5mg, half a pill and it is all that I need to feel levelled out. Still zero side affects."

In5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

For Anxiety: "I had been taking Citalopram for over 6 years (20MG) when my doctor switched me to Escitalopram several months ago. We started with 15MG, and it definitely helped, but my anxiety was still bad, so we decided to increase the dose to 20MG about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a panic attack since, but I am extremely lethargic and unmotivated. I sleep 12-15 hours a day (I have a very flexible work schedule), and I'm still tired and take naps during the day. I make up any excuse not to do my work, and I have trouble getting myself to do ANYTHING, including going outside. I won't even walk to the store if I really need something. I've always loved to sleep, but I used to be extremely self-motivated."

SleepySara (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "First off let me start off by saying that I am only here because before I started this medication I lived and died by the reviews on here. As a matter of fact had it not been for the reviews I probably never would have taken the chance and been A LOT worse off. If your reading this you’re probably at the point where you know you should take this medicine but anxiety is telling you it will harm or kill you. Don’t listen to it. It’s LYING. This medicine took me from being agoraphobic to attending rock concerts. It doesn’t work overnight and the side effects DID suck but they were worth every single one. I have my life back and my only regret is that I waited so long to try. I started in May and by October I was basically a brand new person."

Nicole35 November 25, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "So I have been taking Prozac for a long time but I was always taking naps and tired, I didn’t want to do anything go anywhere. I decided to look into Lexapro reviews some of them really scared me. I thought why not give it a shot one of my cousins takes Lexapro. The doctor switched me from Prozac to Lexapro and I’m going on three weeks I feel so much better I have more energy I’m not sleeping all the time. I’m noticing more things that make me happy. I did have side effects in the beginning but they were very mild constipation dizziness tingly feelings but those are starting to go away. I’m so glad I try this medication I hope it continues to work for me. The doctor started me on 5 mg and I’m slowly working my way up to 10 mg. Write your reviews because people actually do read them."

Happy that I switch to Lexapro November 19, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My first few days I had a lot of nausea as expected then some increased anxiety. But after a few week to around 6 weeks in I was back to my old self. Life saver for me! Everyday prior to taking lexapro for months was a struggle with anxiety and random panic attacks, face tingling, unbalanced feeling and just feeling off all around. 4 months of taking 10 mg and what a relief. Back to socialization, eating better, feeling better With no face tingling. Give it a try for about 6 weeks for full effects and side effects will subside. They did for me."

GiveItTime November 18, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "First time taking 2.5mg Lexapro 3 hours after taking it I could not speak or think or walk normally, had severe nausea and headache, Spent 8 hours in ER. 2nd day have diarrhea and heart palpitations. I only took 2.5mg once. Not for me!"

Diana92708 November 17, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro 10mg helped me SO much. In June of 2016, my dad passed away unexpectedly. I'm 24 and a female. My life was turned upside down and I could not deal. I was a "normal" person w/o anxiety before this now I was experiencing chronic anxiety-panic attacks, mind racing, feelings of derealization, etc..It was chronic. I couldn't go to work and could barely even leave the house without having crippling anxiety. I tapered up from 5mg to 10mg over a few months and it literally saved me. I still had a few symptoms but nothing any different than just every day mild anxiety. It felt liberating. Lexapro 10mg saved my life."

jpaul33333 November 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I made it to 62 without needing any anti-depressants or mood meds ever. Then my Mom got ill with dementia , fell often and my husband and I were "it" to take care of her. We sold our house and moved closer to her. The anxiety that came with taking over her care and the care of my down syndrome sister was overwhelming. I thought I was dealing with it but finally caved. My MD put me on Lexapro and made me better. Before the lexapro I was grumpy , not happy at work , I didn't want to be around people AND had bowel issues at inopportune times. Lexapro was a life float for me. Yes it made me a little sleepy the first 2 weeks , I had some transient constipation and libido problems but all that passed. I like the person I am on Lexapro."

KathyBSN (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Was on Cymbalta 60mg. for a few years for depression with all my other medications and the side effects causing dry mouth for all these years. Taking a depression medicine will cause your teeth to start going bad. So bout 7 months ago after a RN nurse told me about depression medicines having this side effect and that Cymbalta will cause my teeth to start falling out my mouth my doctor switched me to Lexapro 10mg. I have lost more teeth in the past 7 months than I did on Cymbalta 60mg. And I have started using mouth rinse for dry mouth. Cause I keep a dry mouth with all this medication I'm on. And still hurt everyday. Still depressed, still have anxiety at times. I have headaches, restless nights, pain and numbness in lower legs that can't be explained "

Countrygirlblues72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Wasn't sleeping well and was having career-related anxiety. I went to my PCP and he put me on Ambien and Lexapro. I was very concerned about effect Lexapro would have on me, but I went ahead and started it. First day I was a little tingly but no other immediate physical response. The next morning I woke up retching/dry heaving. I spent the whole day having hot and cold spells. My ears were burning. My head felt congested but without any sinus issues. I was severely agitated/restless. I couldn't sit still. Felt sick all day. I took the pill again the second morning (yesterday), but today woke up retching again. Still very restless with some twitching of arms and legs. Didn't take the medicine again today."

Gville Guy (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017