User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 8 reviews 141 medications

7.3
Trichotillomania 2 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1711 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "For me, lexapro stopped the negative thinking. It slowed it all down, the suicidal thoughts, the rumination, the negative was gone. I was on 5mg, decided I didn't want to be on it. I wanted to face my fears, my tears, my sadness, my negative, etc. I wanted to control it, not have lexapro control it. It covers up underlying issues that need to be dealt with constructively. I've been tapering off, I'm down to 1mg, maybe less. I'm learning to deal with thoughts, the few that have come back by praying, breathing and relaxing. Opening up to people about my fears, my negative thinking, letting others guide me into positive thinking has helped tremendously. Take the meds, but work towards resolving the underlying problem and coming off of lexapro."

Poppajoeyoung (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I had my first "panic attack" about 20 years ago, hellish paranoia in the middle of the night that lasted a few hours the first time. Over the years, I tried to self diagnose, thinking my attacks happened when I was living wrong. I always felt it was somehow my conscience trying to get me to live differently. I always felt guilty and paranoid about how I was living. It is only in the last year or so, that it occurred to me that I actually might have a more severe case of OCD than I thought. It is not anything obvious, but I know that I spend hours a day with my lists of things. I don't have friends although I am very friendly. I can't "waste my time." I don't get out a lot. I usually notice my "panic attacks" occurred after having had some alcohol, although often not a lot. I have become afraid of the night coming because then if I get an attack, I cannot talk to people, I cannot drive places, do stuff to distract my brain. The main thing is that I cannot sleep or even try to lay my head down because if I do not distract my brain, the terrifying feeling overcomes me. I will be exhausted but afraid to lie down. My attacks have started to last throughout the day because I sense that total unbearable fear of things I cannot control or are futile. For example, never speaking to my ex again, the unbearable thought of my mother passing away, even little stuff like where I lost a pair of glasses. Terrifying! I never thought my panic attack symptoms were like the classic ones I’ve been reading about-no racing heart, just an absolute paranoia and NOW I HAVE concluded that my problem is related to my OCD. It is only in reading all of your comments that I begin to really understand that this is biochemical. Is this something that is best treated through a psychiatrist? I tried a therapist once a week but that was useless. It feels so wonderful knowing that I am not alone in my craziness."

howefunny May 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Hi, actually I was diagnosed with MDD and GAD by my doctor and was prescribed this pills, which helped me somehow but made my mind much too slow. I have seen reviews of this, where people taking it for many years. But I don't want to be on these pills, I wanted to be normal myself and not because of this pills. I tell you this pills will take you nowhere. It will help but you have to take it for lifetime. After thinking about it I searched about effective measures and after 6 months I found it. It was YOGA. And I was fixed within a month. Please try yoga, you will also get fixed. I am much better as a person which I was before depression. I commented because I wanted to help those who come in these sites to see reviews."

Laka May 30, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After I gave birth to my son almost 3 years ago. I suffered from GAD and had 3-4x panic attacks, negative thoughts, sweating, tightening of my chest, can't breath, restlessness, name it....to the point I can't function and can't even take care of my son. I've started taking lexapro 5mg for 1 week I had the worst side effects to the point I don't want to eat and take a bath...it worsen my anxiety symptoms 10x but after a couple of weeks lexapro begins to kick in but not that optimal effect. After 6 months of taking lexapro 10mg signs and symptoms started to subside. This medicine really helps me. Lifesaver! Just be patient. I took it for 1 year and 5 months.I was cured."

Brave Mom May 28, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been taking 5mg for three days and will bump up to 10mg soon. So far the only side effects I've noticed are dry mouth and increased appetite, I'm feeling pretty hopeful about this one. I take it at night because it makes me a little sleepy but I also feel a little energized at the same time, it hasn't effected my sleep at all. I sleep wonderfully and wake up feeling good."

Melele (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had to start at 5 mg and work my way up because I'm a baby, but I definitely feel better and oddly enough, my headaches have improved after 20 years. I don't feel any different, I'm just worrying less and not feeling the physical symptoms of anxiety. It still comes and goes a small bit, but it's WAY better!"

Laurd May 26, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had tried everything meditation, herbal supplements, yoga, exercise, healthy eating. I was doing everything "right" however I was in a constant state of unrest and having about 5 panic attacks a day. I would go days without eating or drinking water and then collapsing. My anxiety was so high, was sick all the time gut issues, headaches, dizziness, general fog and feeling completely out of it and detached. It came to the point that something needed to change - so I sucked it up and tried Lexapro. If you are reading this YOU CAN FEEL BETTER. I was scared I would feel like a zombie and loose myself - but it just takes the edge off and you will start to feel lighter and free and it will let therapy and meditation work."

Triss12 May 26, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Been on this for 6 months after 7 years on citalopram. I started to get depressed and found that although my anxiety was good, I couldn't get excited about anything. Finally had a melt down and am in the process of switching to Effexor. Withdrawal is awful but I was prepared as have withdrawn off citalopram before. Citalopram and escitalopram have done good for me but I think it's just "pooped out". I would recommend as a first-line treatment of anxiety."

PoppyC May 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have taken Lexapro for 3 years. Crippling episodes of OCD-generated anxiety and depression have been put to rest with Lexapro. I am taking 40mg/day, which is higher than typical 20 mg/day for depression. The OCD itself is essentially gone, and what's left of it (mixed rituals and obsessions) can be very easily controlled and does not scare me at all. I have had no episode of major OCD/anxiety/depression for 3 years, which has never happened to before (I am 49). Lexapro, together with behavioral therapy, has saved my life. I am working a great job and enjoy my family life."

Jeje3 May 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Blood sugar has gone through the roof. From normal range (for me, about 100 pre-meal to 140ish 2 hours after a meal) to steadily around 300. Some weight gain. Mood is improved quite a bit, so high marks for that. Sexual side effects are extremely frustrating. Everyone says they will diminish in time, but it's been 6 months. Not a problem with ED or stamina, but getting to orgasm has proven elusive. The blood sugar is the major concern, so if my doctor can help me get that under control I may continue. Otherwise I'll talk with my psychiatrist about dumping it."

ElPolloDiabloX (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Pros- fast onset, felt it in just a few days. Works well for anxiety/depression. I no longer obsessively worry. No weight gain, decreased appetite (fabulous) Cons- Constant head/neck/shoulder/lower back pain, can't sleep a full night without waking up at least 5 times (really frustrating), decreased interest and ability to have sex. I have tried all the SSRIs and this will be the last one before I give up on SSRIs all together. Will probably have to take Remeron to sleep, I didn't really want to be on 2 meds but I need to sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I ended up on Escitalopram about 2-3 years ago because the previous med (Effexor XR) was causing steady weight gain I just couldn't manage anymore (50+ lbs. in 9 months). And this has hands down been the best med I've ever been on. It doesn't seem to affect my weight at all, and I feel completely "normal" for possibly the first time since childhood (about 30 years ago). I'm on 20mg, as 10mg just wasn't quite cutting it, and my doctor also later added Buspirone to help with some lingering anxiety. I found Effexor to be generally more effective for anxiety, and Lexapro more effective for Depression, so I think this Escitalopram/Buspirone combo works well for me."

xwpblue (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started taking 10mg of escitalopram in the eleventh grade and it helped me to get through daily tasks with minimal anxiousness. My first year of college was very stressful and I noticed my anxiety worsening- my Dr. gradually upped my pills to 30mg/day. At first I noticed a huge improvement and felt like myself again. About three weeks into a steady 30mg/day I began feeling nauseous and evidently began vomiting 2-3 times a day, in addition to the vomiting my appetite was gone and I was also fainting frequently. I would highly recommend this anxiety med, although it is not for everyone, if you are able to find the right dosage for your body it is extremely helpful."

Sar23 May 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Worked amazingly for my mental disorders for about 3 months. Then it caused me to go have serotonin syndrome. Its a very toxic medication. Its a shame my body couldn't handle it anymore."

Goblingirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started Cipralex on Jan 9 2017 after a bad collapse due to anxiety. I was not able to eat, lost 20 lbs, had panic attacks. I started with 5mg daily for one week, increased it to 10mg daily for one month, and increased it again to 15mg for 3 weeks. Now I have been taking 20mg for almost 3 months which seem to be the right dose for me. I had minor side effect in the 1st couple weeks, change of sleeping habits, a bit of diarrhea but my body seem to have adjusted. In one sentence Cipralex changed my life. I am a better version of who I used to be. I gained 15lbs in 6 weeks (much needed, I am 130 lbs now). My appetite is back to normal, no more abdominal problems. Only downside is the hangovers even if I only have 2 drinks."

Markkk (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "The best anti-depressant I have ever experienced, I couldn't sleep longer than 5 to 6 hours a night of broken sleep, now I average 8 hours of fit full sleep. When things don't go my way now I simply shrug my shoulders, before I thought the World was conspiring against me. The drug seemed to work for me almost instantly, didn't take me the normal 4 weeks before I noticed an improvement in my mental well-being. Can't thank the creators enough. Big ups!!"

Timmy Tonsil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After regularly seeing a cognitive-behavior psychologist, who helped me so much, I decided that although my anxiety was significantly reduced, and I was beginning to feel and act like a normal human being, I felt I would benefit even more if I took medication in addition to therapy. Although I was getting far fewer panic attacks than when I had started therapy, I still got them occasionally. I wanted to prevent them permanently, and take the edge off generally. My psychiatrist, and my dad who is also a psychiatrist, recommended Lexapro. Lexapro is the first and only anti-depressant I've ever taken, and I don't think I'll ever switch! I am the happiest I've ever been. Lexapro and therapy have helped me begin to love and respect myself. 10/10"

Jeff777 May 18, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Last winter, a number of extremely stressful events sent me into an emotional and psychological tailspin. I began having anxiety attacks and intrusive thoughts, which were hellish. I awoke every morning with a feeling of utter horror. Finally, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro. He warned me that the side effects could be awful and to start slowly. I began with 2.5mg and increased by 2.5 every 5 days, or after side effects subsided. They included: WORSE anxiety, WORSE intrusive thoughts, extreme drowsiness during the day and a "caffeinated" feeling at night. But, slowly this went away. 1 month later, the terrible thoughts are GONE. Anxiety almost vanished. I am coping, and sleeping well. So, so grateful. LIFE-CHANGING!"

Niniche (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Difficult personal situations caused my Ativan usage to creep up to 3-4x/day. When I started being perimenopause, I was also suffering with terrible depression, which I have never had before. My GYN prescribed Lexapro, and I've always been against taking an SSRI because of the side effects and feeling like I could just "work through" the anxiety, but the depression was debilitating. I forced myself to take the first pill, and the next day, I realized I wasn't under a cloud of stress anymore. It worked well for about 3 weeks, and then I was irritable and the anxiety was back. I just started on 20mg and feel optimistic. Only minor side effects: headache, some nausea the first few days, insomnia. I've lost weight, which is a plus!"

Tante (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "All I can say is wow. I can't believe the difference Lexapro has made in my life. I used to have horrible anxiety, suicidal thoughts, no motivation. Now I am excited for life, chasing after it. Colors are brighter, everything tastes better. Memories of my childhood that I could't recall before came back. I've also been waking up early when I used to fight to wake up at noon. Now, these results took a while. I felt an improvement in mood at about three weeks, and an increase in motivation at about five weeks. The first two weeks were rough- I experienced many side effects including mood swings, night sweats, nausea, increase in intrusive thoughts... but boy was it worth it."

lulzcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "So I'm on my week three of starting this and I have ups and downs about this mostly ups I have had anxiety for about for five years now never have taken anything for it because I've always been afraid of medication but this pill actually helps. The only downfall is I'm on week three right now and I have a little dizziness and the heart palpitations. I don't know if that's normal or not I'm going to talk to my doctor about it soon I know. Talking to people is the easiest thing specially with anxiety."

Dmv6687 (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've suffered with social anxiety for around 2 years , I wouldn't leave my house or my bedroom it was so so bad I even had to drop out of school over it. A year passed and my anxiety got much worse I felt like I was going crazy. Social anxiety turned into anxiety all together I felt like I was loosing my mind. I looked in the mirror and didn't know who I was I was hallucinating when I closed my eyes seeing pictures and objects. I would even talk to myself like a mini conversation going into my head. I got so so depressed over it where I would cry every single day and stay in bed. I became so suicidal. I started taking 5mg lexapro and it changed my life I still suffer with the thoughts but so bad anymore I can get out of bed and enjoy life"

Anxietyhelp May 11, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Before I started taking lexapro I had recurring suicidal thoughts constantly. I've been taking it for 3 months now and I honestly can't believe how great the results are. I have zero suicidal thoughts, which is a first. My anxiety has pretty much disappeared completely, which I didn't even realize that I had some anxiety until the medicine started working. I actually get up and do stuff again! I finally got my life back under control thanks to lexapro. I was afraid to take it at first because I was afraid to gain weight like some people experience, and I actually have gained 5 lbs but it actually looks good on me because I was extremely slender before. I'm on 10 mg btw."

Travis20297 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This medication is possibly good for thousands of patients but gave me agitation and hot feet after using only for only 3 days . These symptoms might happened to others as any medicine probably cause reaction to any individual."

M hosseni (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "It worked amazingly for 3 months. Then it caused me to have serotonin syndrome. This drug is TOXIC. My body went into shock, it felt like my brain was being electrocuted, I was throwing up, couldn't walk, confusion, couldn't put together coherent sentences, hot flashes, cold chills. Now, I'm bed ridden, I have to take so much strong dope just to keep the symptoms down. This drug is toxic over time."

Goblingirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017