User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 9 reviews 40 medications

Bipolar Disorder 32 reviews 33 medications

7.4
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1409 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have had panic attacks for years after trying many other a it depressants that made this worse Lexapro was my magic pill I have had a 90% reduction in acute panic disorder and general anxiety, with this drug I'm normal person again and I have my life back. I'm my opinion this is a blockbuster drug and I'm so thankful to the chemist that created it. Thank you for giving me my life back! <3"

Jesse S. August 4, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I waited way too long to get treated for Anxiety & Depression. I wish I would have sought medical help sooner. After 20 years of battling with both A/D and moving and living as if I were in slow motion, I finally went on an SSRI. Before the Escitalopram, i was constantly irritable, jumpy, quick to anger, and downright raging at times. I took a lot of my bad moods out on my kids and husband and I feel horrible. I am calm now. Things that normally would upset me and set me off, don't even bother me now. I can function normally and not like a crazy person. I started out with 10mg and was increased to 20mg. Some sexual side effects, but I will take it ANY DAY over what I was living with."

irritablebiatch August 3, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am so grateful to my doctor by putting me on Lexapro. I was suffering many physical aches and pains plus in the end panic attacks I was not depressed I thought but did feel anxious and down especially in the mornings I am late 60's and guess I am a worrier I reached a point that I couldn't cope with normal everyday activities and after seeing my doctor she put me on Lexapro Within 3 to 4 weeks it kicked in and I felt back to normal It was amazing no more digestion problems back problems and I now sleep well and wake up happy, and I do walk each day and life is now much better as I'm able to cope with life and definitely recommend Lexapro. Probably the only side effect is yawning and sleepiness but that's so much better than insomnia."

GChS August 3, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Well I went back on this as it was kind of OK when I had CFS a few years ago and somewhat improved my mood. After a few stressful incidents it became hard to manage my depression naturally so I took the quick fix route because I didn't have time to work out and eat right. Having achieved remission with diet/sleep/SamE/exercise I can assure you that the effects of Lexapro are wildly different than a careful self care routine. Day one I was so drugged, I felt high and was barely able to work let alone drive. Total lethargy, extreme anxiety and inability to stop smiling even though I was terrified on the inside. In short, similar to a bad overdose on MJ. Day two, same effect, I had to call out of work. Stopped the pills."

Natzzzzzzzz (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

For Depression: "i am in end stage copd i could not get thought a day untill i started this drug had a few side effects but well worth it i fell like me 20 years ago and i don't sit around feeling sorry for my self any more"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am a 25 yr old female took it after I got bad postpartum anxiety after my 2nd son, I couldn't do everyday things, my husband worked 3rd shift and I was terrified of him leaving. Which never happened since he's always worked that shift. Went to the doc after almost losing my mind got there and my bp was sky high and I was a nervous wreck I kept feeling faint ect so she gave me an ekg to make sure my heart patterns were at least normal because my bp was outrageous then prescribed me Prozac. I took the Prozac for about a month and it made me a emotional mess it made my panic attacks and anxiety 10 million times worse. So she gave me lexapro I've never felt better. I am confident and do everything and I'm actually excited to live again!!"

Mayerod July 28, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "It simply worked. I couldn't sleep, had serious GI problems and developed depression over a period of months. Less pro helped pick me up at low dose in a few months. Was off in a year and probably could have been sooner."

Learnet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started taking this med for anxiety a few weeks ago. I had a few side effects like nausea and headaches and I wasn't sure if it was doing anything. I talked to my doc and he added xanax for 10 days to jump start the Lexapro. It has helped a lot. What mostly helped with my side effects was taking the meds late evening. Now i have no side effects and feel great."

TVC July 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "Excellent results--very calming effect"

Busternuckles July 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have suffered with depression and anxiety for most of my life. One of my best friends convinced me to talk with my doctor about an antidepressant. I tried several different medications. Finally, I was prescribed Wellbutrin 100 mg., which worked pretty well for several years. However, it stopped working so my doctor increased the dosage to 150 mg. Bad idea. I had a seizure and was hospitalized for two days. After this experience, I decided to not take anything. Another bad idea. The depression got so bad, I could hardly function. I went to a new doctor and he prescribed me Lexapro. What a miracle drug. It took sometime to get use to the medicine but once my body adjusted, I started feeling great. I don't recall ever feeling so happy as now"

Ann W July 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Lexapro made me feel normal again. I was severely depressed and so scared I would never feel normal again. I started at 5mg and worked up to 15mg over a few months. At three months I felt like me again. It was a roller coaster getting there with good days and down days where I never thought I would feel like me again. But the three month mark I feel great! I promised myself that when I felt good again, I would share my experience. Hang in there, you will feel good again just give it time. And when you have a down moment, think of happy times and remember you will get better. Side effects initially was yawning a lot. I can finally sleep again and I gained my weight back because I actually want to eat again. Life is good now. Thank you lex!"

Finallyfeelinggood (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Have been taking 10 mg for over a year. It originally was to try to help with fibromyalgia. I also had some emotional issues I was dealing with. The first two weeks was not very good. My main side effects were dizziness, sleeplessness, some nausea and headaches, none being bad enough to want to quit. After reading other's comments I pretty much knew what to expect. One day after about two weeks I suddenly realized that the symptoms were disappearing and I felt a calmness I hadn't experienced before. Not a drugged feeling , just calm and the edge had been taken off, a great relief. No weight gain and more drive to be active and productive. I don't ever plan to stop taking this med. it's helped me so much."

Debbie the (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I started taking Lexapro about 7 weeks ago after an extremely traumatic unexpected loss of my long term boyfriend who i lived with. I was not functioning or able to deal with life before I got on Lexapro. I couldn't stop overwhelming thoughts, anxiety, crying. I couldn't face life. Lexapro has helped me begin the process of healing In a healthy way and resume life. I don't feel any different other than I have rational thoughts and I am in control of my emotions. I know I would not be moving forward in a positive manner of it wasn't for this medication. The change was like day and night and I am thankful."

Hla1121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started it to treat depression from life circumstances and anxiety, specifically health-related anxiety ("hypochondria") and it's turned my life around. Yes there have been side effects, but ones I can live with for now. At first I felt tremendously tired, that lasted about a week. It happened again when I upped my dose due to being depressed over the winter months. Sexual side effects happened in the beginning but went away. The tiredness went away. I'm so much more normal now. I went from being a total wreck and thinking I was dying every day/crying about everything to functioning normally again. The only side effect that still bothers me is a feeling of dizzyness or lightheaded and almost "not being there" sometimes, forgetfulness."

betterthanbefore July 19, 2016

For Depression: "I started this medication a year ago. My Dr. started me at 10mg then bumped me up to 20mg about 3 months later. I suffered from depression, lack of motivation for life, suicidal/death thoughts, anxiety, and angry outbursts that affected my personal and professional life. This medication has greatly improved my life and my relationships. When I first started it there was an adjustment period for about a month but now I feel like I have a positive outlook on life and I can handle everyday stressful situations without wanting to kill everyone. I actually lost weight on this medication because I'm not wanting to binge eat to ease my anxiety and I am more motivated to go to the gym. Lexapro was a life saver for me."

Punkerman July 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "Been taking these meds for 2 weeks now. I was diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome as a very small child and have had problems with anxiety & my overall mental health for most of my life. Just recently, I started to have panic attacks (scariest thing ever, I thought I was dying). So while I'm waiting to see a shrink, my GP prescribed me an antideppressant. It has significantly decreased my anxiety & sadness. It is also excellent as a pain-killer (I have ankylosing spondylitis/arthritis too). Worked far better then any NSAID I have taken. Side effects are harsh though. I felt tipsy & nauseous the first time I took it. Diarrhea. Nightmares. Severe restlessness. Racing thoughts. High sex drive that negatively interferes with day to day life."

isitnaptimeyet (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "This drug has honestly changed my life. I suffered from PMDD for years and the mood swings had a terrible impact on my life. In the two weeks before my period I would fluctuate between feeling upset, paranoid, anxious, and ragey - falling out with family and friends - and sometimes not wanting to get out of bed or go to work. My doctor suggested taking 10mg Lexapro a day for the two weeks before my period. I wish I had done this sooner as it really has had such a positive impact. The first fortnight I took it I had bad nausea and a lack of appetite for the first few days but this symptom reduced each month subsequently and now I have no side effects. I feel really stable and like myself now and no longer fear that fortnight before my period"

kitty12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have never taken an anti-depresent/anti anxiety med before. My doc started me out with 5mg a day for a week and then 10mg a day after that. The first day I took it after about 30 minutes my mouth got extremely dry. After about an hour, I got a slight feeling of dizziness mixed with fatigue, but it wasn't horrible. The first week was the same thing, dry mouth and slight dizziness. Currently I feel fine, the only other thing I can say I have noticed over the past couple days is odd dreams, I woke up in tears from a dream and thats never happened before. The only other thing is mild night sweats. Other than that I am enjoying this med and it has been working for me, but I feel like I may need to up my dose slightly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I posted on here a couple of days ago to say I was starting Esitalo. Well, 3rd day in and I had the worst panic attack of my life, passed out, vomited, was dripping with sweat. The first 2 days were so easy but have decided not to keep taking it. Will head back to my doctor. Don't think this drug is for me."

Notsostrongwoman (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "First let me say I am super sensitive to all medications, I tried zoloft, efflexor, prozac, paxil, wellbutrin, and some others and could not tolerate them. I started on Celexa which I only had short nausea episodes. My anxiety and depression was better but I still felt a little foggy. (Started at 1/4 of 20mg upto 1/2 of 20mg) . My doctor switched me right over to lexapro (1/4 pill of 10mg), same except there is one less molecule taken out I did this for about 2 weeks,then I went up to 1/2 of 10mg(5mg) other than nausea for a short time the first day I felt okay. As the days went on it has been better and better. I also take Xanax .25mg but find that I rarely need it anymore. Start with baby doses, it was super easy for me! Best of luck"

LisaC1014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have only been on lexapro for 3 weeks now but I can say that it has truly helped me make it through everyday amazingly. I read all of these reviews as I contemplated taking it. And I can assure you it will help. I only had slight side effects on the first day, like dry mouth and feeling a little spacey. But it passed fast and has taken away almost all of my panic attacks. If you are really having trouble making it day to day, please at least try it. It was immensely worth it for me and I really hope it can help you too."

Smac11 July 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Wow, this drug has really changed my life. Some time after being diagnosed with GAD, I was prescribed 10mg of Lexapro just over a year ago, at age 16, and since have made a staggering recovery. Before starting a medication regimen, I had very severe anxiety. Therapy had never really worked for me, But escitalopram turned out to be exactly what I needed. As my therapist put it, medication is a strong foothold so that you can pull yourself out of mental illness. It won't save you, but it will help you extremely. I do get brain zaps if I forget to take this for one or two nights-- but that's the only lasting side effect I can think of. Overall great medication."

rubyteal July 14, 2016