User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Fibromyalgia

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Fibromyalgia. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Atchen · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2016

“LEXAPRO is the only medication that didn't have ANY side effects for me! I am super-sensitive to all meds, had awful experiences with several of them. My depression due to FMS faded within two weeks of taking 10 mg of the generic ESCITALOPRAM, that was over a year ago. I still have to take pain medicine, but at least I can cope mind-wise with all the issues FM throws at us. I have a slight problem with loss of appetite, but didn't mind loosing 10 lbs. over time and stabilizing at a healthy weight. I'll never stop taking it!”

Anonymous July 8, 2009

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I love Lexapro. I was taking Savella before and had to stop due to side effects. Now I'm on Lexapro and I love it. It takes away 95% of my pain and takes away my depression and anxiety at the same time. It's amazing.”

Debbie the · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2016

“Have been taking 10 mg for over a year. It originally was to try to help with fibromyalgia. I also had some emotional issues I was dealing with. The first two weeks was not very good. My main side effects were dizziness, sleeplessness, some nausea and headaches, none being bad enough to want to quit. After reading other's comments I pretty much knew what to expect. One day after about two weeks I suddenly realized that the symptoms were disappearing and I felt a calmness I hadn't experienced before. Not a drugged feeling , just calm and the edge had been taken off, a great relief. No weight gain and more drive to be active and productive. I don't ever plan to stop taking this med. it's helped me so much.”

Anonymous October 19, 2010

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started with Lexapro about 2 years ago. I was angry at everyone. Someone walking down the street, someone in a car, people I didn't know let alone my family. I was in pain, working, doing what you have to do and I was mad. This was a great medicine for me. I take many other medicines but this is one I wouldn't want to give up.”

letma April 10, 2011

Lexapro (escitalopram): “So far so good. I've been taking it combined with Neurontin and I feel great! I tell my husband how happy he makes me everyday...my happy feeling is back. Although I have bad days with Fibro but I no longer have bad weeks.”

KJ January 4, 2021

“I have been on Escitalopram 10mg for a week. Given to me for anxiety, depression and PTSD. I also have Fibro, CFS, Endo and Interstitial Cystitis. Wow who knew this would help my pain. The first 6 days were awful (nearly quit) due to nausea, pronounced anxiety and depression and worse insomnia - but I am now finally starting to experience calmer mind. The side effects are easing. So pleased that the pain which had caused most of my depression and anxiety is being relieved.”

Bonnie59Bonnie September 29, 2017

“I started taking 5mg escitalopram about 2 1/2years ago for pain which was also causing me some very mild but noticeable emotional feelings. After a month it was increased to 10mg which I kept taking for the next 10 months. Because I was feeling much better I decided to stop taking it. I noticed my pain levels were rising again and I was becoming (very mildly) emotionally sensitive. 3 or 4 months later I started on 10mg, 15mg and after two months 20mg. I have felt the best on 10mg I'm feeling so much better again but did feel the best on 10mg. After talking with a professional family member who knows this medication & with my doctor I have decided to continue long-term on 10mg along with common sense use of pain management. Hopes this helps”

Sona · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

“I have been struggling with general anxiety specifically health anxiety due to chronic pain and stiffness in my lower head and neck. Feeling heaviness in my head 24/7 for past three years now. Just about 2 years back I started feeling chronic pain in my legs, it is difficult to stand or walk. I have been having cipralex 5mg for about two weeks now but increasing it by 2.5 mg and will increase to 10 mg. Anxiety is a bit low but no much difference in pains. I’m not sure if my anxiety led to fibromyalgia or it was the other way round but hoping and praying that this works. Is anyone else in this forum suffering with pains like I mentioned. Trying to give it a fair chance and see if this works on my pains”

Stamptician July 19, 2013

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have just requested to go back on Lexapro. I took it for several years and it worked wonders for my depression and anxiety. In 2005, I made the switch to Cymbalta due to my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Although Cymbalta seems to have helped with the pain, I have been so depressed and anxious. Not to mention my out of pocket costs for Cymbalta. I welcome Lexapro back into my life!”

Icky Tory · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2016

“I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1998 and I have been on a LOT of different medicines. This medicine does NOTHING for my pain but it DOES help my mood a lot. Like many people with FMS I suffer from periodic depression and over the years I have been put on almost every type of antidepressant but all of them left me feeling numb to everything - including if I woke up the next day or not. That feeling always terrified me so I had stopped taking any antidepressants. In October of 2014 my doctor suggested I try this and it has made a HUGE difference in my mood without leaving me numb. If this helped with my pain I would rate it higher but it is amazing for depression.”

SelinaKyle · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

“I was given escitalopram because I deal with OCD and fibromyalgia and it does sometimes work on both. The first time I took it my pain and other many fibro symptoms got much worse. I came off it and tried another medicine that only made my moods and OCD worse. Then came back on escitalopram in order to wait the full 6 weeks for it to kick in and work this time. After the 6 weeks however I experienced no difference. It made my pain much worse and gave me other fibro symptoms I didn't have before. It also made me very depressed with lots of mood swings and sadness at random times. I also have CPTSD/PTSD so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Everyone's brain is different so I was told that I could now go up to 15mg instead of 10mg and feel better, but I'm afraid that my symptoms will get even worse.”

Anonymous November 21, 2011

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This is NOT working for me. My fibromyalgia symptoms are back; I am experiencing a lot of discomfort. I am calling my doctor today to request a switch. I was on Cymbalta. My fibromyalgia symptoms were gone with that but unfortunately I experienced sweating, like hot flashes. Don't have that with Lexapro but this joint/muscle discomfort is too uncomfortable!”

TechieGottaSoundbyte · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2017

“I was given this medication for anxiety. It didn't help directly with the anxiety - but it greatly relieved the cause of the anxiety, which was the intense pain I was experiencing. The pain wasn't home, but it was bearable. The pain relief from an anti-depressant was the clue I needed to work out the cause of the pain - fibromyalgia - and get a diagnosis. Side effects for me were being "hung over" in the morning, and after a year or so of taking it, I started getting depression. I also did feel "numb" emotionally on it. I suspect I got the side effect of depression because my brain was actually healing; when I quit the medication, I no longer had high levels of pain (though some pain did return after quitting this med, but manageable).”

margaretbw1 January 2, 2009

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This has almost eliminated my shoulder and neck pain due to fibromyalgia. I am so thankful for it. Prescribed by my rheumatologist.”

Anonymous August 26, 2009

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has helped me so much. It's great! This is coming from a person who has tried nearly every treatment available for relief of my fibromyalgia.”

flare07 July 27, 2010

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I went off of Lexapro and couldn't walk, and the pain was awful. I got right back on it, and I feel like I will live!”

mfpdfibro · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2012

Lexapro (escitalopram): “It helped my depression tremendously, but lost its effectiveness within 5 years.”

Nigel420 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2015

“works great not in much pain on some other meds right now”

Testicles March 22, 2012

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication didn't do anything for my clinical depression or anxiety, but it did help me gain about 90 pounds which I desperately needed due to my anorexia.”

Learn more about Fibromyalgia