User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 140 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 49% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Ashley April 22, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “If you are reading these reviews because you or a loved one are considering SSRI’s, please don’t be discouraged or panicked. Between myself and my loved ones I think we’ve been through 7+ antidepressants. We made it through every single one and honestly reading reviews didn’t help in the slightest and harmed us more than anything. START LOW AND SLOW. I started this medication a year and a half ago, I had weened off fluvoxamine and had a period of about a week before starting Lexapro. For me Lexapro has been incredible. I’ve been on antidepressants for about 8 years and I've never been better despite my life circumstances honestly never being worst. Therapy has been a massive help but I honestly haven’t had a depressive episode since I started the medication and my anxiety has been a lot better. I’m finally learning to drive, something I’ve always been terrified by. Try and try again with antidepressants. When you find one that works for you life can be liveable again.”

marsha12 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 1, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've been on Lexapro 10 mg daily for about a year now for major depressive disorder and GAD. It has done wonders helping my social anxiety which is basically nonexistent now. I still sometimes feel depressed, but nothing nearly as bad as when I was unmedicated. I take the pill at night because it can make me feel groggy. The only other negative side effect I have had was when I first started taking it, I was getting awful daily headaches. They did stop after about 3 weeks and I'm so glad I continued with it.”

sarah May 7, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medicine is great!!! It helps so much with my major anxiety and depression, the only reason I didn't give it a full 10 stars is because one time I stopped abruptly, and the side effects were pretty bad, but this isn’t something you should ever due because of physical and mental side effects and so it was my fault, not the drug, definitely talk to your doctor before stopping unlike I did!!”

AMD March 17, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed this medication Lexapro to help manage my MDD and GAD January 2020. I started off at 10 mg daily for three weeks and then I was bumped up to 20 mg. Side effects included: late night panic attacks that woke me from my sleep (which I had never suffered from prior to starting this medication), chronic insomnia (that almost cost me my job), facial twitching, muscle spasms and involuntary movements of my neck, arms, legs and torso. Regarding the insomnia, I went from having 8 to 9 hours of restful sleep to 1-3 per night. I could not physically fall asleep even for a nap. If you are considering this medication or any antidepressant for short or long term use please do your research before taking them. Always work with a psychiatrist regarding mental health/prescriptions. Needless to say, that I have weaned off of this medication. I am still having some side effects after use. I'm currently on the path to speaking with a neurologist to take of care the damage.”

Lm December 28, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “2 years ago I was majorly depressed and saw a psych who put me on fluoxetine and I also tried Effexor. Worst medications ever... every day I couldn’t eat from feeling nauseas and I would have the most violent graphic dreams that would leave me feeling exhausted when I woke. Both these medications also made me feel like a zombie, I seemed lifeless to everyone. I then tried lexapro which compared to the other two this medication is amazing. The first two weeks are really yucky and you need to be prepared for that. It doesn’t seem like it will get better at all, in the first few days I had very bad anxiety and couldn’t sleep. Just lay low at home until it passes, once it did I just feel like a brand new person. All the horrible thoughts are gone and I can function like a normal person and still feel human. One thing I found is taking this medication at night caused me to have bad dreams so I take it in the morning and the dreams at night don’t happen anymore. Hope this helps”

Sissy March 8, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been taking Lexapro for almost 2 years. Now. To me it is a miracle drug. My husband says the same. He noticed a difference in me at about month 2 of taking it. It's not something that makes you feel better immediately. It takes time. I can tell you this ..... I haven't felt depressed in a very long time. It's like the lexapro won't allow me to get depressed. I also no longer obsess about things. I am able to let it go very easily. So it also definitely helps with anxiety. Lexapro has given me a better quality of life. I recommend this medication highly. Remember to.... Give it time ”

Ck2e16 · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have suffered from clinical depression and anxiety for many years now and always been terrified about trying medication to help it. I wasn’t sleeping due to my anxiety and my mood was always extremely low and had little motivation to do anything. I was always extremely tired because I would wake up constantly with racing thoughts but thought I may have a vitamin deficiency so used to take multivitamins that didn’t help. Since taking lexapro I feel 100% better, literally after the first few days I felt calmer and more able to sleep. There were side effects at first like sweating and inability to orgasm but these have thankfully subsided. Taking lexapro has really made me realise that people with depression and anxiety have chemical imbalances that sometimes medication can only solve. I’m not saying I am completely cured and still have my low days but this drug has helped me immensely with managing my anxiety and depression.”

J.c. November 25, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Well. I was not able to sleep for 10 days. Benadryl, advil p.ms and seroquel did nothing for me. Insomnia, no sleep, restless to the point of exhaustion. Begin to hear my brain sounding like white noise, more depressed and suicidal thoughts. In bed all day. Horrible experience i had no libido, unable to have orgasm. Doing better after 10 days off this. Not worth it.”

Carol · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medication is helping me get my life back together after sexual abuse and assault that I experienced in my teens and 20s. I would recommend it to anyone who has experienced any kind of abuse or bullying, or is just generally going through a tough time. Mental illness is real and you deserve to feel better. I take 10 mg daily. Side effects are bad in the beginning but eventually go away. Started to work after 2 weeks. Better than other SSRIs / antidepressants like Zoloft. Don’t give up on yourself. ❤️”

Antimeds · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “For almost three years I dealt with major depression and anxiety. After my separation, my life fell apart and I couldn't control my emotions. I was dealing with depression, anxiety and rage. I am very anti medication but knew I needed help. I completely broke down and sought help. I was prescribed Zoloft for the first time in my life and felt that I went crazy. My anxiety kicked in overtime and I lost my job. I will never be able to explain how bad it was but I tried to just survive for another year thinking nothing would help. Three months ago I went back to my doctor's office and was prescribed 20mg of Lexapro. I told her I was terrified but would try anything at this point. It took two months to feel like a human again. It saved me.”

KDF · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 23, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I went through about 9 months of the worst time in my life. When it was done I wasn't the same. I was in a depression I couldn't pull myself out of. The anxiety was raging. I finally got on Lexapro and my life changed. The anxiety is still there but it's muted and controllable. I have to increase my dosage for breakthrough depression from time to time but it's all so much more manageable. I didn't know how away from myself I had gotten until I got on Lexapro. It was an immediate upswing for me, I immediately began feeling better the next day.”

Sendinghope · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): “If you're reading this and feel that deep, heavy depression in your chest that makes you feel empty inside and like nothing matters, I want to tell you that it does get better and to hang in there. It won't always be like that and you'll be able to see beauty again, but you'll need to be patient and kind to yourself. I felt like that for several months before I had the courage to take Lexapro (it's my first antidepressant) and I truly wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did. I worked up from 5 mg to 15 over 2 months and I never experienced side effects, except the first few days upping the dosage where I was sleepy. My libido has increased because I feel well enough now to have an interest in it. Please know that there is hope.”

CGI · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Oh my God. I feel like I have my life back. When I used to feel stuck and unable to move, just paralyzed in bed, I couldn’t function. Now, I can just get up. I cannot rave enough about this drug. I have my life back. I have goals and ambition and plans for the future again. I tried several different medications and several different doses before settling on 20mg Lexapro, and it’s the only one I never had an adverse reaction to. I will always recommend.”

Excessive Worrier January 17, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapro for only 2 days. All I do is lay on the couch all day while my kids are at school. The tiredness finally starts wearing off about 3:00 pm, but I take it in the evening, and by the next morning I’m energy less and tired again until 3:00 pm the next day. The first day I was extremely tired and had a splitting headache all day. Today again super tired, and sad, and depressed still. I am praying this will go away after the first few weeks, but some say the tiredness never goes away on Lexapro. I don’t want to be a zombie, I just don’t want to have panic attacks, excessive worry which is my GAD, and severe depression anymore. I wish there was a blood test they could do to see which type of antidepressant fit our brain chemistry best so we didn’t have to suffer through all these changes testing different medications on us. My life has literally has no joy right now..none.”

Jillyjane · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Ok so I'm a 26 year old woman and I can't tell you how many antidepressants I've been put on. I'll guess between 8-10. The only one that I took longer than a few months was Zoloft and I don't even know why I continued to take it cause it didn't help with my major depression or anxiety. I think subconsciously I was just so desperate to feel ok. Anyone reading this that has hit the point of attempted suicide knows exactly what I mean. You don't have to be great and happy, you just want to be ok and feel like yourself. For years I've struggled and would think it couldn't get worse until it did. Over and over again. I've been on lexapro (generic) for only 2 days and for the first time in 6+ years I feel ok. Now I know antidepressants take weeks to work their best and I can't tell you how I feel this so soon I can only tell you that I do. I would highly recommend to anyone specially if you've tried many others. I'll check back in a few weeks from now and give an update!”

abigail · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed lexapro for anxiety and depression, also OCD. Side effects of terrible dry mouth, headaches. It did however, help my insomnia. Months in, my anxiety had slightly subsided and my depression was noticeably gone. But I wasn’t happy either, honestly I felt numb. Doctor upped my dose to 20mg about 4/5 months in. Again, awful dry mouth and headaches and now nausea and heart palpitations. Terrible nausea and headaches and had crippling nihilism and suicidal thoughts worse than when I wasn’t being treated. My anxiety came back full swing. I slowly stopped taking it. The withdrawal is almost as bad as the side effects. I’ve been off of it for a week now and the withdrawal sucks but I’m glad I quit.”

augrpeters September 6, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I believe that Lexapro saved my life. I'm only 21 and I have suffered with Bipolar Disorder, anxiety, and very severe depression. I got so depressed I gave up on everything, I walked away from my job over a simple argument. I simply just quit caring, I let my car get repossessed and I had to declare bankruptcy. I felt so worthless in the world, my doctor kept prescribing ativan, valium, and xanax. Those medications only helped short term. I gave up on life altogether, I drank constantly and quit taking my insulin (Type 1 Diabetes.) My doctor finally prescribed Topamax which caused me to get worse. My doctor got replaced and the new doctor prescribed Lexapro. I am now happy, I got a great job and I have reestablished myself.”

sam408 November 29, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started on Zoloft for a month, and was suffering from nausea, not eating, loosing a ton of weight, and rapid heart beat. Did not change meds until I had to call 911 due to me thinking I was about to have a heart attack. My doctor then put me on 10mg of Lexapro. This compared to zoloft is legit dramatically different. I stopped taking other meds to help me sleep, due to it helping me actually feel tired, I was eating again, and also gained all my healthy weight back. This is my 3rd month of lexapro and I felt my body got used to the dose that my depression episodes started to slowly happen again. My doc now has put me on 15mg & so far it is working WONDERS. I was also a person who did not want to be on meds to help my mind but wow I feel like a freaking stable person now. Just having more motivation to get out and be productive. Also, to be more of a loving girlfriend. Lexapro is seriously saving my life.”

Lilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed Lexapro for severe long term anxiety and depression. Even though it didn't work on my depression after 5 months of use, I wanted to leave it a positive review, since these drugs have the power to save peoples lives. Initially I experienced basically every side effect possible. Nausea, loss of appetite, night sweats, bad vivid dreams, changes to taste, dizzy, short term memory loss, inability to orgasm, blurred vision in the morning, heart palpitations, headaches, extreme moments of anxiety to the point of throwing up, extreme depression to the point of having to sleep all day. But you know what - this list of side effects sounds horrible, but they are worth it if you start to feel even a little bit like yourself again. After about a month the side effects decreased in severity, my anxiety was gone, but still left me with the inability to orgasm and had no impact on my depression. I've now moved to Cymbalta (SNRI) and will review that in a few months.”

Chrissy94 August 15, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “26/f and I have been taking this medication Lexapro (started at 5 mg dose, now been at 20 mg) for several months for major depression and generalized anxiety. The main side-effects I’ve noticed: lack of ANY motivation, fatigued all day long (wanting to sleep 12+ hrs a day), mild dry mouth. I will say it’s taken my anxiety from about a 9-10 to about a 6 (on 20 mg). However, I’ve seen it do nothing for my depression. I’ve been crying almost daily, and there have been very dark thoughts I’ve experienced off and on. Honestly for myself, I’d rather deal with my anxiety w/out this med than deal with the severe fatigue. Also, if I forgot to take my medication one night on Lexapro, I felt like I was hit by a train the next day. No energy, would sleep 15+ hours, and feel incredibly low. Please follow your doctor’s orders and take medication on time. I will be asking my psychiatrist for a change of meds soon, because Lexapro isn’t it for me.”

Kxc536 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 4, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was put on lexapro when I was 14 years old and it completely changed teenaged me for the better (20 mg). I was social, got great grades, good moods all my teachers and friends noticed a huge difference in me. When I turned 19, I guess lexapro stopped working because I was having really intense suicidal thoughts and some suicide attempts. I was so high risk I had to get ECT. I've been hospitalized 11 times since I was 19. (I'm 23 now) most of the other ssris like zoloft, celexa, cymbalta, effexor, prozac were either ineffective or had terrible side effects. So I eventually went back on lexapro after therapy ECT treatments, TMS, and ketamine infusions and it's been working for me again. I've been on it for 7 years in total and I'm not complaining. I'm on a 30 mg dose. I also take it with four other medications though. Definitely a game changer for me.”

FAV · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has literally saved my life! Before starting the medication, I was terribly depressed & suicidal. I finally got the courage, with the help of my husband to talk to my physician. I initially began on the 10mg dosage. The first week was rough with bad headaches, nausea and extreme fatigue. By the second week, the only side affect I had was a little spaciness that I feel was from the fatigue that had continued. However; at week 2, I felt so much better. Now after 2.5 months and moving to a 20mg dose, I have my life back! I haven't felt this much peace in years. I can sleep. I can laugh. I can smile.....and I can't imagine taking my own life. Best of all: I can love others because I'm happy and at peace with myself. Worth it all!!!!”

Skittles · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was severely depressed for 7 yrs horrible years, along with anxiety and started to then have panic attacks towards the end. I had a "good" day maybe twice a month. I was then diagnosed with Cancer. It was time to stop telling myself I can fight depression on my own. I started off on 10mg Lexapro. I could tell it was working at 10mg but not the full potential so my doctor upped me to 20mg. I tell you what I haven't had a depressed episode in the 2 years I've been taking Lexapro. I sure wish I had tackled depression long ago but I'm grateful now to finally be free.”

KH411 November 30, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After suffering with slight anxiety and what I now look back and recognize as mild depression for years my anxiety "blew up" one year ago. It manifested itself in severe panic attacks about diseases, life, intrusive thoughts, and thinking that I was going crazy. It got worse for 8 months until I figured I was going to die or find a med that worked. I tried 2 prior to Lexapro and they were awful. I had no quality of life and honestly thought I'd be dead by now. Lexapro SAVED my life. It kicked in in about 5 weeks and I had some rough patches for a few more. At week 8 I was me again. At times I still have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts but they are easy to push away. I have a life again!”

Itsme · Taken for 10 years or more October 9, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Been on Lexapro for 20 years or more. Had a traumatic situation and I needed additional help. Drs put me on two different meds and took me of Lexapro. Last week I'm back on my original 10mg and going through the ramp up period. I'm going through constant crying (not uncommon for me), fatigue, and trying to get through the day. Lexapro worked wonders for me for all those years, I'm so hoping that I'll be back me again soon.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder