User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 60% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Shaffro April 6, 2021

“IBS pain. I took probiotics, Gas-ex, tums, Miralax, Citracel, antispasmotics, nothing helped. Blood and urine were fine. Endoscopy and colonoscopy were fine. I had some 10mg Lexapro on hand that I was prescribed for SAD but didn't like the side effects and stopped taking it. But after reading articles on brain gut connection and serotonin and how IBS is sometimes treated with a very small dosage of antidepressants like Lexapro with good results I decided to try taking a very small amount, 1\4 of a 10 mg tablet and I am definitely getting some relief from the pain.”

SK August 6, 2020

“This medicine escitalopram was extremely harsh on my body, it caused me side effects of severe IBS, blood in stools, sore throat and blocked nose.”

ericaNL · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2020

“I agree with @Gregory123. It's been 4,5 months now since I quit escitalopram (Lexapro) and my IBS has gotten SO bad, I can barely function anymore. I don't remember having IBS before I started taking escitalopram. I definitely think if you already have IBS then escitalopram can help, but if you don't have IBS then be cautious because escitalopram effects the serotonin which causes IBS problems with the bowels. I'm considering starting escitalopram again just to get rid of the IBS...”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2012

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has SAVED my life! I was struggling with extreme Irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, took every medicine for it. Lexapro was the only thing that has helped me. I now feel like a normal person! If you are struggling with IBS please give Lexapro a try. I take 10 mg once a day... but START AT HALF THE DOSE, I started at 5mg for two weeks then went up to the 10 mg. This eliminated getting bad side effects, the only side effect I got was a little nausea for the first couple of days but then it went away. Good luck to everyone, I hope Lexapro will help you all as much as it has helped me.”

ladyluck319 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 17, 2014

“I had terrible symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. When I would go out to eat within 20 mins. of eating I would have terrible diarrhea. I could chew gum or drink something in the morning getting ready for work or school and I would have diarrhea. I would on occasion have bowel accidents within a few feet of making it to the bathroom at home, when coming in from going out to eat. The first time I was put on escitalopram for nerves, this was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I felt "normal" for once. I did not want to bite people's heads off and the diarrhea, gone, that department was normal for the very first time since my teen years. I started taking escitalopram in my early 40s. This medication is a God send.”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2019

“After getting IBS suddenly out of nowhere. And then trying every “natural” treatment under the sun, I knew I had to try something new, especially since I work in a field where I can’t just go to the bathroom when I need urgently. I started taking escitalopram at 10g and felt a little dizzy for the first few weeks but it has been amazing, it has dramatically decreased my IBS symptoms and I feel so much more at ease!”

Casey b · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

“I was actually prescribed escitalopram for depression, but I have found my IBS, which I've had since I was an early teen/half my life, has gotten better! I manage my symptoms with the fodmap diet primarily, but it's difficult to follow 100%. I can now tolerate corn products without a problem, and the ingredients in a KIND bar do not bother me at all. My digestive patterns have really calmed down. I don't love the side effects (I am only on 5mg and deal with drowsiness and crazy, long, weird dreams!) but I like worrying less about eating perfectly -but I still don't touch milk, garlic, or onion!”

SpitefulGI · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2018

“Ever since I entered puberty I started having issues with my stomach. I would have severe morning sickness to the point of going into school late. Anything that made me nervous or excited like exams or vacations meant I was going to be sick or unable to eat. I was constantly aware of where the bathroom was no matter where I was. I didn’t go out with friends much. Then I started taking lexapro. It has changed everything. I finally feel like a normal human being. I can eat breakfast again. I can go out with friends. I still get nervous but it doesn’t shut down my life anymore. Thank god for this drug.”

ibs suffers · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2017

“My life before this god send medicine was awful agitated, stressed with no reason, light depressed I couldn't think straight. 2 months of taking this drug felt it relieved all . I take only 10mg of cipralex. Please all IBS suffers I know what painful IBS are and embarrassing. please don't give up try this you wouldn't feel relieved for awhile may be 1 or 2 or 3 months but it will work - don't give up. I hope IBS suffers find this helpful for them. thank you a'll”

Annonomous45 September 20, 2016

“Lexapro changed my life. I have had IBS since I was a teenager. It caused me great anxiety and fear of going anywhere because I just knew I was going to need a bathroom urgently. When I turned 40 it got so bad I could not make it to work without having a horrible stomach ache which would cause me to panic and have an anxiety attack. Within a week of taking 5mg lexapro a day I was a new person. I feel more like myself on than off it. I have been on it for 4 years. I tried to go off it once and the diarrhea returned. The side effects for me were low libido, a little weight gain, less irritable but anger more severe, tired after taking which coffee cures. The side effects decreased over time. Overall the benefits far out way the side effects.”

lovelyday808 September 17, 2015

“I was prescribed 10mg of Escitalopram for anxiety/depression and took half a pill for a week to get started. I have had IBS my whole life (diarrhea right after eating or several times a night/day) which morphed into severe gas and bloating with the onset of my depression and anxiety due to work related stress. I felt great after 2 weeks, very zen and not irritable or unhappy and unexpectedly my IBS symptoms also improved significantly (though bloating never fully went away). I was told it could make your stomach upset which worried me but I had no symptoms except very low libido. Due to the low libido, I decided to stop taking it but with in 1-2 weeks of stopping, the IBS bloating is back.”

druhin kar · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2013

“I think escitalopram 10mg is great for irritable bowel syndrome. It reduces the symptoms when I take the medicine. I am taking this for 4-5 weeks. I was suffering with irritable bowel syndrome last 4 years ago. All treatments failed. Lastly this medication give relief me. My side effects were 1. acidity 2.nervousness 3.urge for latrine when I felt stressed 4.poor appetite, muscle twitching etc. I am quite relaxed now.”

LK85 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2019

“I have suffered with anxiety and depression for years and about 18 months ago, I got severe IBS out of nowhere. I was 32, mine is IBS C dominant and the pain and bloating was unbearable which made me more depressed and anxious. After suffering for around 10 months and trying everything my doctor convinced me to go onto Lexapro which I was reluctant to do as I had been on it for years when I was younger and withdrawals coming off are hard. Within around 2 weeks my symptoms disappeared. I was almost symptom free for 3 months when I came off of them as we started trying for a baby. Unfortunately my symptoms have returned without it and have decided to go back on it this week as I'm in a lot of pain. Looking forward to them kicking back in again!”

Ade Nour March 28, 2017

“I had IBS for nearly 10 years, Escitalopram 10 mg daily was a miracle for me, when I start taking it during 2 days my cramps were completely gone and as I had the diarrehea dominant form of IBS ,the constipation that is the side effect of it was good for me.”

Gregory123 December 10, 2017

“I took escitalopram 10mg for 6 month for a light depression that I could easily cure without medication. As soon that I stopped the drugs I get IBS, it’s been 4 years now and it only get worst. It’s when I discover that this drug was effective that I understood that my IBS came from it..”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2016

“Helped to put my IBS-D to where I wasn't running to the bathroom every 15 minutes.”

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome