User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

P · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2020

“Almost a year on Lexapro and it worked to improved my OCD like 70% or more. But side effect from the lexapro was I gained weight and lost sexual drive. My dose that I am taking is 20mg. My psychiatrist said that at a year he will lower the dosage. I hope the symptoms don't come back again! Overall it is a great drug, the only down side is the side effects that I mentioned. Btw medication must come hand in hand with therapy!”

oKAYJUNE · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

“No help for my OCD whatsoever from a low dose of Lexapro. I have only taken this medication so far, so it is my only experience. I did not feel it has been any easier to avoid tapping, obsessive handwashing, or ruminating on Lexapro.”

Lainy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I have had horrible intrusive thoughts and memories and random guilt for silly things for most of my life. When I turned 22 it began to spiral out of control and at 23 I was a complete mess of OCD, depression, and anxiety. I felt terrified of everything. I found a psych who prescribed 10mg escitalopram. After 2 weeks of getting A LOT WORSE, I felt ok and at the 5-8 week mark I began to feel better. Now I feel great. We are still playing with dosage(15mg now) but my life is completely different. I feel “normal” and don’t have random anxiety or guilt. The intrusive thoughts sometimes come but I’m able to let them pass. I did gain 12 lbs...5’6 and was 128lbs before and now 139lbs. I didn’t eat much before and now I’m exercising and eating normally. Plus I’m not overweight so I don’t mind it. My sex drive is WAY better than before. I can actually have sex without intrusive thoughts or images. I recommend BEING PATIENt. It gets worse before it gets better so DON’T GIVE UP!”

Cal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 16, 2020

“This drug escitalopram saved my life. I couldn't get out of bed. I wanted to die every single day. My OCD took over my life, intrusive thoughts mixed with memories. I am back to normal now and loving life. All thanks to 10mg of this wonder drug.”

Dani · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

“This medicine escitalopram saved my life! I have no intrusive thoughts, I am no longer anxious all the time, I don't have nightmares, I can sleep at night and my sex drive is so much better than before! I am not sad for no reason and I don't have suicidal thoughts! Lexapro saved my life! Give it a try, it takes time to work at least 5 weeks, but when it works, you will be so happy with the result!”

Crosemack123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

“It definitely has helped me with my overall anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder, but I’ve been depressed lately and I know it’s because of this medication because I’m happy about my current situation.”

Covey January 23, 2020

“Please, please try it. I had anxiety, panic attacks, OCD for 10 years, but was TERRIFIED to try meds. I would cry all the time and drink almost every day one or two so I could tolerate my thoughts. I stopped drinking, nicotine, and caffeine and that's when my OCD came out really bad. I didn't want to live because my intrusive thoughts were too much. I couldn't stop obsessing over EVERYTHING and the panic and lack of sleep was unbearable. I tried Lexapro because life was not worth living anymore. Within 3 days on Lexapro, I stopped having panic and anxiety completely. I am on day 8 and yesterday I switched from 5mg to 10 mg and I was back to normal. I thought I'd never get out of that hole. I took my son to the park today and didn't have any worry in the world...for once in 10 years. I'm also sleeping way better. My therapist has helped as well. I am writing this because I, too, was reading reviews before going on it because I was scared to take it.”

Escitalopramsavedme · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2020

“I ended up on a high dose of escitalopram, 30mg - but it’s been fantastic - a bumpy ride getting to the right dose and I guess I had anxiety and depression going in as well- but along with good therapy this medicine has helped me enormously. It’s hard to believe how low I got before I tried it. Well worth a try if you are suffering.”

arunde1598 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 1, 2020

“escitalopram is awesome for OCD. Wish I went on it sooner! Titrated up my dose over a year from 10mg to 40mg.”

Whoiwantedtobe November 14, 2019

“This medicine works so well for me. Before I couldn't function. I was so depressed. Now I can be the person I want and need to be without that dark cloud anymore!”

SILIO · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 24, 2019

“Used this medication for years. Did very little for my OCD and low-grade depression. Switching back to Prozac.”

Justin · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

“I've been taking Escitalopram 20mg for 3 months now and it has helped my OCD quite a bit. I still get obsessive thoughts but it's a lot easier to let go of them and not ruminate. Escitalopram has also helped my anxiety and depression a lot. I wish I would've taken this a long time ago.”

Ak · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

“I am suffering from anxiety and OCD. Escitalopram didn't reduce my anxiety at all! I think it had stopped working”

Nana September 25, 2019

“I developed a chemical imbalance 6 years ago producing anxiety, depression, and OCD. I experienced horrible intrusive thoughts, insomnia, and fear. I was prescribed Lexapro. After 2 weeks I noticed significant relief. However, I began to gain weight, experience sexual side effects, and hair loss. Yet, the intrusive thoughts faded along with the anxiety and depression, making it a worthwhile trade off. Due to weight gain, I switched to Zoloft. Gradually I tapered off the Zoloft, but my symptoms returned. I tried using vitamins and amino acids (result of Y-tube and online research..beware) to no avail. I began taking Zoloft again, but experienced terrible side effects, increased anxiety, insomnia, nervousness, and panic. I kept reading “it gets worse before it gets better". But after weeks of pure torture, I switched back to Lexapro. After one week, my anxiety level decreased. I have now been on Lexapro for 4 weeks and noticed increased improvement each week.”

Lily88 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 19, 2019

“The first time I was on it for a year and it made absolutely no difference. When I got off it, no withdrawal side effects or mood change, basically a sugar pill. This time I was on for 1.5 years. Again, no help for OCD depression or anxiety at 20mg. AND I developed panic disorder on this. I've always had panic attacks, but usually only a few per year. With this med there were times that for 2 weeks at a time, daily I'd wake up and have a panic attack lasting 1-8 hours. Yes 8 hours in a full blown panic attack with all the classic symptoms. Getting off the meds over 6 weeks: the first 2 dose decreases, my OCD actually improved 3%, but once I got down to 5mg and 0mg, the withdrawal hit me: Daily panic attacks, headache, nausea, stomach issues, floating head, insomnia, short tempered, lack of cognition, suicidal ideation. Gene testing like genesight: you can't rely on the info they give you. This was in my column of meds that should work along with others I had bad reactions to”

Dtrout August 8, 2019

“I gave a review on August 12, 2017 after a month of being on 10mg (my review was 10/10 positive). I just happened to be browsing and saw it, so I thought I’d give an update for all of you wanting to see if this could work for you. It’s officially been 2 years since I started taking this medication and I’m at 20mg a day. Sometimes I can’t even believe I used to have crippling anxiety and OCD - it feels like a lifetime ago and a different person. But that was me. I now feel like how I believe a “normal” person feels, and I almost take it for granted now. This medication has given me the opportunity to be happy, something that my OCD always prevented me to do before. My relationship centred OCD is virtually gone, and when it does rear it’s ugly head, it’s easy to push aside. 2 years later and this was one of the best decisions that I’ve ever made. No side effects, just the opportunity to live life at its fullest for the first time.”

Ana June 10, 2019

“I had severe migraine and anxiety. My doctor prescribed lexapro and first two weeks were so bad. My anxiety got worst and I suffered from many side effects, but after two weeks my anxiety disappeared. I was more motivated, headaches gone, my OCD was 50% better. After two months all side effects gone. Now I'm on lexapro for 6 months and my OCD is 70% better and I'm a happy person also my libido is good. So thankful FOR LEXAPRO”

KK · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2019

“For me Lexapro was a life saver, however I experience night terrors and low libido, along with fibromyalgia, which lead me to consider switching to cymbalta, which I tried no avail as I couldn't function on it. Switched back to Lexapro 20mg reduced to 10mg and then began experiencing severe intrusive thoughts and crippling panic again. Talking to my doctor about switching back to 20mg, because honestly the night terrors are better than the intrusive thoughts and panic for me. Fingers crossed that after the transition period it’ll be better. OCD is hard experience to walk and try to manage, I thought I had conquered it years back the first time I got on meds, but turns out stress and triggers can bring you back any time, especially mid dosage transition.”

Anonymous April 28, 2019

“Have been on this medication for a little under a year. I started at 10mg. The only side effects I had were sleepiness for a few days and a lack of appetite for one. I started taking it at night for a change and it made a WORLD of difference. I wake up feeling well rested and calm through out the day. When I would take it in the morning, I would feel like I slept on a rock all night. This medication is awesome. Most people I’ve talked to that are my friends take it.”

hope33 March 28, 2019

“I started escitalopram low and steadily increased to 15 mg daily in the morning. First 1-2 weeks were a phase of adjustment. My personal side effects were mostly sleepiness and feeling a bit out of it. At best, always plan in free time when starting on a new medication. I've been taking it for a year now and it keeps my panic and anxiety from OCD in check. I still have an urge to check certain things. Sometimes I still find myself in OCD-thoughts but they are manageable and I'm able to get out of the loop myself rather quickly. The medication took a couple months to work, maybe 2 to 4. My only noticeable side effect now is that after I take it in the morning I sometimes feel a little bit nauseous and a bit funky, in the sense of "ah, I just took escitalopram,... right". That goes away quickly though and is ignorable. Medications sometimes only lift you up and put you on your feet back again, but don't cure you of your illnesses. I'm able to work again thanks to medications and therapy. Good luck!”

Mamma January 19, 2019

“Started on 10mg. For OCD and anxiety. First week was horrible. I had blurry vision nausea, shakes and twice the anxiety. Thought loops would not stop. However by week 2 and 3 I could breath again and think. Around week 5 they doubled my dose to 20 mg and it's been a lifesaver. All side effects gone. Sometimes I have a little trouble sleeping but I'd rather I have that and be able to think and function. My head seems clear and I'm not worrying as much. It's been a blessing just stick by it out cause the first few weeks are rough but it goes away .”

Ahmed December 11, 2018

“I have suffering with Severe Pure O OCD (sexual, violent, blasphemous instrusive thoughts etc.), it had severely impacted almost every single aspect of my life which lead me to severe Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Panic Disorder and Mild Depression. I tried numerous types of Medication, even the BIG ONE - Anafranil, I remained on this medication for several months on a high dosage, it assisted with the OCD (not so much with Anxiety) however the side effects were utterly terrible so decided to give it up. My psychiatrist suggested Lexapro, began on 5mg and slowly work my way up to 30mg (currently on this dosage for the last three months). Pros: Anxiety has greatly reduced, very few panic attacks, hasn't stopped the thoughts however they have become much easier to brush off, I am able to think more rationally, and I feel somewhat more hopeful and optimistic. Cons: Constantly tired, extremely sleepy (I could sleep all day if I wanted to), I feel somewhat emotionally numb.”

Caz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2018

“This drug escitalopram is brilliant for ocd. 20mg helped but I find 30mg helps my OCD, GAD and MDD more. It's far superior compared to citalopram and I've been on both.”

bd · Taken for 10 years or more October 24, 2018

“I have been on Lexepro for about 10 years. Hardly any side effects, sweating and possible wight gain, However, that could also be due improved appetite, I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.”

collegedude · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2018

“It took a much longer time than I thought to kick in. At the 1 month mark the side effects were gone but it felt like nothing had really changed. Now, at the 2 month mark I'm seeing real reductions in obsessive thoughts and behaviors, as well as anxiety in general. Taking 15mg currently although will probably go up to 20.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder