User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 9.2 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. 94% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

9.2/10 average rating

Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

B · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2019

“I suffer from severe PMS and my doctor wrote me a prescription for 10mg escitalopram starting two weeks before my period and it worked almost immediately! I’m at that scary point in my cycle and I am so calm, rational, cheerful, and loving. My poor husband after all these years! I wish I had done it sooner when it was first recommended to me! Note: difficult/delayed orgasm, but totally worth not being a cranky, sad psycho for, like, 10 days a month.”

Kath81 September 1, 2008

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started taking Lexapro about 2 1/2 years ago. I had gone to my doctor because I was having perimenopausal symptoms, the worst of which was not sleeping. I would have several days in a row where I couldn't sleep. I was also having trouble controlling my anger. The out of control rage was so unlike me. Lexapro has been wonderful for me. I take 10 mg once a day. I take it in the morning. I am not tired during the day, but now I sleep great at night. I also have much better anger-control. No more rages.”

Anxietywarrior · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

“I suffer from anxiety that on a normal day, is manageable without medication. However, between the time of ovulation and the start of my period my anxious and depressive episodes can sometimes be unbearable. My doctor prescribed me 5mg of lexapro to take the edge off. I won’t lie, the first time I took the medication I had a panic attack which hasn’t happened in YEARS. It took me another month to get the courage to try again. I am so glad I did because it worked almost immediately. I am so happy to no longer have to dread the two weeks before my period. I’m sure my family, friends, and boyfriend are happy too to not have to deal with my crazy moods ;)”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2019

“I started the medication escitalopram about 6 months ago for PDD and this has helped so much. I've been on other meds before and they had just made me worse and the side effects were unbearable. This has very mild side effects and for me it's just I'm hungry all time and a little tired. This has helped with rages before my cycle and I no longer cry and feel suicidal when I'm due. I've been able to go to work without calling in sick around the time of the month. My anxiety has calmed down majorly. This is the only drug that has worked for me I've been on all other brands had the prsotap injection which sent me crazy all different pills nothing worked.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2014

“Escitalopram at 5 mg once a day has absolutely saved my life. I had severe PMDD -- mood swings, anxiety, etc. My gyno was trying to prescribe a very high dosage, but I got really good advice from psychiatrist to start with the lowest dosage possible and titrate up from that. The medicine worked within 3 days (this fast result from an SSRI is only seen in patients with PMDD). I have never needed to increase the dosage, 5 mg works just fine. The mood is even, relaxed, but by no means, apathetic. My personality has not changed, but the severe mood swings, rages, are gone. It is amazing how a little pill can help so significantly. Side effect: Difficulty in reaching orgasm - although this is not consistent.”

Jll6789 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2019

“lexapro has completely changed my life. I tried therapy, birth control pills, dietary changes, endless hours of research to try to help my PMDD symptoms. Nothing worked and it was so bad that I could not get out of bed, suicidal thoughts, severe relationship issues. I started 5 mg of lexapro continuously about four months ago. It took about a month to work completely but all of those thoughts have disappeared. I still have some physical symptoms- bloating and fatigue. But this has allowed me to take back control of my life. If you suffer from PMDD, give it a try.”

Bumblebee42 January 30, 2016

“This drug has changed my life. I take 5mg only in the luteal phase and it has completely cured my severe PMT symptoms, I was anxious, paranoid, angry and tearful. I was pushing my family and husband away and falling out with friends. At the point of suicidal thought I couldn't take it anymore and contacted my GP. My only regret is not doing it earlier. I began on 10 mg but it was too strong for me, I was dizzy and hyper. After halving the dose it was like a magic switch being turned on and I immediately felt like my own self. I have no side effects coming off the drug at the end of my two weeks and just a headache for an hour when I restart them. No weight gain either, I've actually lost 10lb cos I'm energetic enough for the gym!”

kitty12345 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2016

“This drug has honestly changed my life. I suffered from PMDD for years and the mood swings had a terrible impact on my life. In the two weeks before my period I would fluctuate between feeling upset, paranoid, anxious, and ragey - falling out with family and friends - and sometimes not wanting to get out of bed or go to work. My doctor suggested taking 10mg Lexapro a day for the two weeks before my period. I wish I had done this sooner as it really has had such a positive impact. The first fortnight I took it I had bad nausea and a lack of appetite for the first few days but this symptom reduced each month subsequently and now I have no side effects. I feel really stable and like myself now and no longer fear that fortnight before my period”

Moddy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2018

“I started on 5 mg then increased to 10 mg after a month.I have pmdd as well as depression, and anxieties.This worked better for me than sarafem (prozac) which caused me to gain weight. I take just one tablet at bed time since it does cause drowsiness. I actually lost a few pounds since taking the 10 mg a day and it seemed to help my constipation.The only real side effect is dry mouth but it makes me just drink more fluids which is good for my body anyways to keep it hydrated. I'm actually very pleased with this drug and happy with the results.I t goes to show that not all SSRI drugs work the same.”

Alicia · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2018

“Really helped with the heightened feelings of paranoia, depression, anxiety, mood swings and intermittent explosive disorder associated with my severe PMS (PMDD). I stopped taking it when pregnant and breastfeeding because I don't have PMDD during that time but when my period finally returns I can't function without it.”

J.N. · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2016

“I tried prozac/fluoxedine before this, awful nausea and diarrhea. Switched to 5mg-10mg of lexapro daily and although it's been only a week I'm at the "dangerous" part of my PMDD. Completely leveled me out and my panic attacks have subsided! Mood swings are very minor and pains are PMS level. I'm so far very happy with this medication!”

AmyD1966 April 7, 2017

“This has changed my life so much. I have been on 5mg for about 10 days. So much calmer and much less PMS which I'm in right now and feel fine. I had extreme anxiety, wanted to flee work for some reason, could barely drive 2 blocks without high anxiety, crying all the time, creating panic attacks. I'm 50 so I think it's perimenopause. That's what my OB said when she prescribed it. I had low anxiety before but this was insane. I'm so happy I feel better. I did try Prozac before for 3 days but that increase my anxiety and I had intrusive thoughts on it. Now Just a little tired on. 5mg Lexapro generic version at first but it seems to be getting better. And some dry mouth. Overall I mentally feel relaxed and calmer!! .”

Carebear1027 · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2015

“Taking 20 mg of Lexapro. Before I started I was a complete mess for almost 3 weeks out of a month for the past 1.5 years. PMDD seemingly came out of no where and turned my life upside down. I ended up seeing a therapist which worked for a while but ultimately my suicidal ideation was scaring me and my overall quality of life was rapidly diminishing. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed 20 mg. After 4 days I felt better than I had in almost two years. Not high or euphoric but like myself. Like me. Alive. Happy. Present. The first 3 days I did feel kind of out of it. Spacey sort of. And a slight headache which was more annoying than debilitating. But that went away. Also I do experiencing a delayed orgasm. Hopefully it goes away.”

BLS3 December 3, 2020

“This is my second month trying Lexapro for severe PMS The first month I was blown away, I feel like I was cured. I’m about three days and on the second month now and my PMS symptoms are a little more than last month, but I guess they are still improved. I can’t control my hunger though for some reason. I’m not sure if it’s related as that is normal for me during PMS. I am also a tad anxious but there’s some new stress in my life so it makes sense. Overall I think it is helping though.”

Karen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2021

“I have taken 10 mg 14 days a month during my PMDD symptoms starts to show for about 11 months and it changed my life in a positive way I never thought was possible. It been so hard finding a treatment that works for me and I’m so happy that it worked. The side effect I’ve noticed is being dysfunctional sexually but is worth it for me. I haven’t felt like myself after hitting puberty with my mood swings etc and now in my later 20’s I truly feel like I can take on my life again being less afraid and anxious/depressive during these days of pms/pmdd.”

Anonymous June 8, 2020

“I noticed that since I started on Lexapro, I have been missing my periods.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2012

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro was wonderful for me. I took just 5 mg a night and I feel it saved my sanity without a doubt. I don't take it anymore because everything has stabilized. I'm so grateful for it!”

AnotherUterus January 6, 2012

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This has been more effective in treating premenstrual dysphoric disorder in my case than any of the other combinations of antidepressants or mood stabilizers my doctors have tried. It saved my sanity.”

Anonymous November 18, 2009

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have had less mood swing, and less night sweating since I started taking Lexapro. I feel more in control of my emotions and am able to think clearer.”

Learn more about Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder