User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"Been taking these meds for 2 weeks now. I was diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome as a very small child and have had problems with anxiety & my overall mental health for most of my life. Just recently, I started to have panic attacks (scariest thing ever, I thought I was dying). So while I'm waiting to see a shrink, my GP prescribed me an antideppressant. It has significantly decreased my anxiety & sadness. It is also excellent as a pain-killer (I have ankylosing spondylitis/arthritis too). Worked far better then any NSAID I have taken. Side effects are harsh though. I felt tipsy & nauseous the first time I took it. Diarrhea. Nightmares. Severe restlessness. Racing thoughts. High sex drive that negatively interferes with day to day life."

isitnaptimeyet (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"I have never taken an anti-depresent/anti anxiety med before. My doc started me out with 5mg a day for a week and then 10mg a day after that. The first day I took it after about 30 minutes my mouth got extremely dry. After about an hour, I got a slight feeling of dizziness mixed with fatigue, but it wasn't horrible. The first week was the same thing, dry mouth and slight dizziness. Currently I feel fine, the only other thing I can say I have noticed over the past couple days is odd dreams, I woke up in tears from a dream and thats never happened before. The only other thing is mild night sweats. Other than that I am enjoying this med and it has been working for me, but I feel like I may need to up my dose slightly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"First let me say I am super sensitive to all medications, I tried zoloft, efflexor, prozac, paxil, wellbutrin, and some others and could not tolerate them. I started on Celexa which I only had short nausea episodes. My anxiety and depression was better but I still felt a little foggy. (Started at 1/4 of 20mg upto 1/2 of 20mg) . My doctor switched me right over to lexapro (1/4 pill of 10mg), same except there is one less molecule taken out I did this for about 2 weeks,then I went up to 1/2 of 10mg(5mg) other than nausea for a short time the first day I felt okay. As the days went on it has been better and better. I also take Xanax .25mg but find that I rarely need it anymore. Start with baby doses, it was super easy for me! Best of luck"

LisaC1014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have only been taking Lexapro a few days, but I can tell a bit of improvement, but as of now I still get paranoid or to say anxious which makes me exhausted. And I'm not much on going around people a lot, just one on one conversations with a friend or relative. Hoping and praying it works like a lot of post here which are positive. Hoping to gain weight, for I'm at 113pds....when I was 130, Yea lost quite a bit of weight...the lexapro im hoping will give me a better appetite which I've read it does. This is an update on day 6, I slept full 8 hours and that was with getting off to sleep with help of xanax. But really feel better and have some energy and some of the worry is gone...and hoping to get better. Going to keep taking it."

robertestokley July 6, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro to treat general anxiety, which it barely impacted, and since starting it 4 weeks ago I've become severely depressed and spend all day contemplating suicide. I don't know if it's entirely the medicine's fault, or if it even had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't helped me with anything, and I can't find anything online about it actually worsening depression instead of treating it."

Guy18 June 29, 2016

"Have had anxiety for a few years but the last couple months it started taking over my life, couldnt go shopping cause id have a panic attack at the counter.My work life become unbearable, to the point i wouldnt go to work.So i started drinking to help me and it did at first. But the more i drank the more out of control my life become,Was like watching a slow moving car crash an i couldnt do anything.thats when i knew i needed help. Have been on 10ml escitalopram for 4 days now and i feel great woke this morning feeling like a cloud has been lifted, my anxiety lvl is 5 from a 10. So this drug might not be a miracle drug but its helping me live just that little bit better"

jono nz June 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexpro is the best medication. I had no life befor Lexpro. I used to suffer for 8 years from anxiety and panick attacks. I was always scared from anything. The doctor asked me to try Lexpro I was so afriad of medications, I thought medications would never help me. I used think that I will help my self to stop thinking about it. I thought they were all thoughts in my mind and I have to change them I used to get panick attacks everday when I'm sleeping. I would recommend anyone to try this medication because this medication will safe your life if you have anxity I have been 10 mg for months then 15 for 2 months and 4 months for 20 Mg and am still taking it. And I will never stop taking it"

Baraag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have extreme anxiety and major depression. For me, all SSRI's, SSNRI's make me feel extremely weird. Almost as if my body feels "too good" but not in a good way. The only way to describe it is like jolts of electric shocks throughout my body that feel good. Also when I yawn or take a deep breath my teeth start to chatter. It also creates extreme erectile dysfunction for me to the point where it burns when I urinate. Unfortunately these are symptoms I cannot put up with, even though it does work."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"This is my second time on Lexapro. I took a 6 month break because I am not usually one for long-term medicine and it was causing me to gain weight. However, I am too a point in my life where I feel like my GAD is just going to slowly kill me if I don't keep it under control (I am 26). Anyway, I've never had any side-effects to this drug other than weight gain. And, I hope it's not the placebo effect, but I swear this stuff works the first day. I can feel my anxiety riddled, tense muscles loosening more and more. Give it a try! It's worth a shot to feel better!"

Altruistic Anxiety Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "After months of cbt with my psychologist for severe anxiety and panic disorder i decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. I was perscribed 5mg then 10mg of lexapro to start and it gradually incresed to 20mg. In the first few days i had never felt worse. More frequant and severe panic attacks and my general anxiety went through the roof and i had the most extreme feeling of hopelessness. I was a mess and calling my drs telling them i needed to stop taking it. They reassured me these side affects would go away within weeks, and they did. I continued with the cbt, mindfullness, lifestyle changes and stayed on the lexapro and within months i felt i was back to my normal self. Post like these kept me going. Hang in there, you're not alone!"

El441 June 21, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Started Lexapro 2006 for acute anxiety & depression. Within days I felt a shroud of darkness lift. After 12 months I felt it was changing me into a person with less emotions, so I went off it. Within a few weeks I felt a sharpness and sensitivity that had been missing but, any negative occurrences gave me intense anxiety. In late 2008 the GFC hit me hard. I was paralyzed with fear and had thoughts of suicide. In desperation I went back on lexapro and again, all the anxiety and fear went away. After a couple of years I went off it again and felt reasonably OK. Issues in 2013 caused me to attempt suicide. I survived and went back on Lexapro. I may have less emotions, but I can now deal with life. Strangely, It also fixed my AF heart condition"

kymbo58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

"Been on this med 9 weeks still feel no better had awful side effects still getting them worse one burning tingling arms not sleeping don't know what to do anyone else had this"

tilly ab June 18, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on lexapro for months now but recently i have been experiencing bad nausea at night only. Im thinking about switching if it doesn't stop (night 3)"

lozzz June 15, 2016

"I started this medication six months ago 10 mg. My anxiety improved quickly and the side effects as well. sadness, stomach burning, nausea,burping, stomach pain etc. I cut it to 5 mg but still experiencing bad side effects. I tried to quit and after 10 days my anxiety came back with vengeance and I was forced to go back to 5 mg. My doctor says that it is up to me. Now I'm stuck and more confused. If I take it then my side effects bother me a lot and if I quit then my anxiety kills me."

Jag 123 June 11, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on lexapro for five days now and I've never felt more anxious in my life, I haven't been eating and when I do eat nothing stays in my stomach long, my sleeping has been a nightmare, maybe 5 hours a night if I'm lucky, and I'm shaky all through the night and partially through the day, I feel like I'm going crazy but I keep reading reviews that side effects are awful then subside and the medication is great, I'm just really feeling like I'm losing it here"

Sara478 June 10, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi Everyone, I am a 22 yr old female and I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share my experience although everyone will react to medication differently. The first three days were awful. Nauseous to the point where I could barely move, terrible headaches, incredible hunger, yawning constantly and waking up all through out the night. On the 4th day most the side effects just stopped. Mostly the headaches and nauseous feeling. You really have to push through the initial side effects. All the racing thoughts immediately stopped, I am so much more calm, no more mood swings, social situations no longer bother me, I am just generally happier. I will also mention that I had none of the sexual side effects."

Stacijane7 June 10, 2016

Stacijane7 June 9, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I use to get in fights all the time!! My doctor prescribed Lexapro and I haven't been in a fight in 2 straight days."

Fightin 50th June 9, 2016

"I feel like this medication change my life I feel like a whole new person because of it. I am a 28 year old female from Australia I'm very anti-medication as I was on risperidone when I was 12 years old and I had severe really bad side-effects which included the learning from size 8 to 10 to a size 18 and massive migraines. It wasn't until I went to see my local doctor this year after I couldn't cope with university and personal stresses that it was recommended that I take this medication, I was a little bit ambivalent but I'm so glad I did it because there's been minimal side-effects. I can really notice the difference. once I forget to take the tablet for the day as I get really nervous and anxious."

Kathleen Louise's June 9, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've had panic and anxiety really bad for 18 years. Some days where ok and other days where terrible . I forgot really what normal felt like. In 2012 it just got worse. Panic attacks every day. I couldn't control it no more. I broke down and seeked help. My Dr put me on lexpro. I was super scared at first to take it because of all the storys on the internet about it. I had a few side effects, but nothing to bad. Best thing I ever did. Been on lexpro for over two years now and not one single panic attack. I feel like a totally normal person, it's great. My life improved 100%, and that's no lie."

BillH71 June 7, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am updating my last 8 star review of a week or 2 ago below in thread. Update: The sleep disruption/insomnia (oftentimes waking 2-4 am and not getting back to sleep) subsided after 3 weeks of starting the generic form of Lexapro (on 10 mg for almost a month). I am sleeping well again without assistance from Xanax. I haven't taken X in 5 nights and sleeping my usual 7 hours. It's wonderful. No anxiety either. Give this drug a chance if you can stick out the sleep problems. It works. I feel myself again and am not worrying over worrying about anxiety. Not afraid to go anywhere, for fear I'd get that old sense of dread and unease. I don't even think about it. It doesn't matter the time of day you take it by the way."

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Due to my increasing anxiety and panic attacks I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg. During the first few weeks I became very sensitive and would nearly cry over simple things like a customer saying "please don't put this item in the bag with that item...". I had very high blood pressure, bad headaches, rapid heart beat, I would feel weak and my body would start shaking (especially my hands). One time I even thought I was having a minor heart attack. I decided to ween off Lexapro and change medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Last summer I was prescribed lexapro under the name Liberium for my anxiety and depression. I was told to take 10mg once a day, but to ween myself onto it by taking half a pill a day for a week or two. Most of my time on Lexapro was blurry; I couldn't remember a lot. People around me could tell that I wasn't right. I stumbled a lot, slurred my words, and generally felt very irritable. My anxiety was through the roof but I had absolutely no depression. When coming down from the med, about 3 hours before the next dose, I literally couldn't move. Coming off of the med one day gave me a panic attack and what was diagnosed as a pseudo-seizure: non epileptic seizing while remaining completely conscious. I was taken away by force by ambulance."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

"I am a 30 year old male who has been on Lexapro for 2.5 years. I had been seeing a therapist for 2 or 3 years before I started taking it for my anxiety. I was extremely hesitant because I do not like taking medicenes but eventually gave in. It improved my disposition pretty quickly. My initial dosage was 10 mg. For the first couple of months i would get nausea an hour or so after taking, but then realize if i ate something just before or when I took it, I would not get the nausea. After the first few months, I do not get the nausea at all, even if I don't take it with food. I occasionally have had vivid dreams since I started taking it, but if anything I kinda think that is neat. After 6 months, we upped my dosage to 20 mg. Works great."

ConfusedGuy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

"I was insomniac for many months due to anxiety. Within a week or two of commencing a 10 mg dose 1x per day I was sleeping through. The only side effect has been flatulence. Cheap drug for me, but I live in Australia where many drugs are subsidised under our universal health coverage."

Not a robot May 31, 2016