User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"This is my 4th week and I haven't noticed any benefits. I am still nervous all the time. I hope this helps me in the next few weeks"

Ian (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been taking 10mg for just over a year now. It has REALLY helped my overall anxiety and mood swings from perimenopause. Getting started on this was VERY tough for me. The side effects were not very pleasant and I definitely felt worse before I felt better. Klonopin helped get through the first few weeks. I would say after probably 3 months ALL the side effects were gone and I didn’t feel like I was “on” anything, which was a relief! After the first 3 weeks or so MOST of the symptoms had greatly decreased/disappeared. I’m glad I stuck it out and continued taking it. It has been a huge help overall and I have very little anxiety about driving places that I am unfamiliar with like I was before. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there!"

Mom of 3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

"I tried a different antidepressant before and it was a long 4 month nightmare. This medicine has helped me get my confidence back and going out with my friends again. I pray that it will also work for you as well!"

dean (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

"Had a reaction to lexapro with hives all over my body. Big welts and super itchy. Seemed to help my anxiety, though, short amount of time I was on it."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This drug made a new person of me. I had suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life and just never knew what it felt like not to be full of anxiety. When I turned 50 I went into a severe depression and elevated anxiety. I was started on this med while in the hospital. It took a couple of weeks to work but when it did it was like a miracle. I am so thankul. I have taken it for the past 13 years....."

Mo (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember, through a lot of ups and downs, I am finally feeling myself. This drug is amazing, I’m usually anti-med, and the only negative side effect of this drug has been on and off nausea. My anxiety has been significantly reduced, and my depression has also seemed to have subsided greatly! I would recommend giving cipralex a chance out of any other SSRI."

Kat June 19, 2018

"I suffered from major depression disorder, anxiety and OCD. I take lexapro 20mg . It takes a few weeks to work but I feel like a new person. I didn't give it a 10 because the only side effect I experience is bruising on my legs. Also, you have to do some work yourself to feel better (exercise, yoga, meditation, drawing etc.) There is no perfect pill out there, but lexapro with the combination of therapy, exercise and yoga has really helped me!"

J816 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

"So 4 months on with this drug (2nd time around) and I would say for the most part this does work well. Anxiety is a way down....yah there is some good days and bad days, like everyone but in general things coming along nicely. This isn't a miracle drug, it's meant to make things more manageable. Which it does perfectly, for me anyway. Patience is key.....give it 2 months. Also do not miss doses, symptoms seem to come back pretty quick. Best of luck to all. Patience...."

Andrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started taking Lexapro a month ago. I felt it working right away, which I was told I wouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. I always had non stop leg shaking and my jaw would clench tight for the first week. Forget about sex!! ughhh that is why I am giving an 8, but I am just happy I don't have to cry every night over a box of crayons or be unfocused because the anxiety was so high."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have tried this before and found some relief. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it blunts my emotions."

Ian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

mick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

"I have struggled with anxiety, fears/phobias and bad thoughts creeping into my head, especially at night. Despite regular counselling and self help, I was still struggling and without sleeping well, I was having a hard time functioning. I went to my dr and he prescribed me Escitalopram. I started out on 5mg for a week, then went to 10mg. I felt extremely tired at first, at around 3pm, but I actually enjoyed it as I was relaxed for once! I take the pill first thing in the morning, with my coffee, and dont feel any side effects, ie stomachs upset, dizziness. A month in, I was starting to feel some symptoms of anxiety creep back in, so I was recommended to go to 20mg. Since then, I feel way more in control of my emotions, fears/phobias, etc. It hasn’t gone away, but it somehow feels further away, and manageable. Great experience for me."

T-bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Dawn (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "If you have Bipolar, mania or any kind of mood shifting disorder, do NOT take lexapro. It can work well for most but NOT if you have a mood disorder."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Mary May 15, 2018

"I went on Lexapro last year for mood swings and general anxiety, bad PMDD. Initially, I thought this medication was amazing, took away all of my anxiety BUT it also removes inhibitions. I came off of it after a year due to gradual weight gain but in hindsight, this medication caused me more problems than weight. It also caused in me some reckless behaviour that I now regret. Nothing that I cannot now fix and forgive myself but be careful. I was not myself on this drug and it could have cost me a lot."

Mands 22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

"Hi, I suffered from anxiety for years for no particular reason. It was very difficult for me to open up to family and friends to speak about it as I was afraid of what people would think / say / how they would look at me after. I finally picked up the courage to get some help and started with escitalopram. I started on 5mg for 7 days then the 10 mg pill daily afterwards. The first three weeks definitely took getting used to as I felt quite bad at times. After that, the meds started to help week after week I could see myself progressing. I have been on the meds for 9 months now and I can honestly say it feels so amazing to have my life back. I feel like my old self again, enjoying everyday pleasures with no more anxiety. I had fairly low libido before the meds as I was feeling bad however I am only now starting to get my old sex drive back (which is awesome :)). For me, This medication gave me my life back. Highly recommend."

James (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

"This site has got me through the most traumatising few weeks of my life. Anxiety/ intrusive thoughts leading to depression after a really bad viral infection. I’ve always had anxiety but I wasn’t aware how ill you could get or how many physical effects you could have. The instrusive thoughts terrified me beyond belief and send me to the doctors. He put me on 5mg and I’ve been on this now for nearly 5 week. I’m slowly getting my life back. Hopefully as I increase things will get better. The first 2 weeks were horrendous for me. Everything got 10x worse but I’ve started to feel better each day. Try not to lose faith in this medication because it will get bad before better. I’m still having bad days but they are getting less and less."

xmissmbx May 7, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

A.k (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

middle age (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started lexapro and on the 5th day I woke up wide awake. This has never happened to me and I felt so different. I get weirded out and got up to grab some water. On my way, I feel a cold sweat and my body goes completely paralyzed. I felt a fear I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I try to scream but my vocal cords are paralyzed. I wait for death, completely terrified. Then my ears start ringing and I slowly get all my senses back. I am able to breathe again and start to hyperventilate from the panic. I was exhausted after that. I got in to see my doctor ASAP. I fell asleep in the waiting room and I can normally barely fall asleep in my own bed. He told me it doesn't even do anything in the first week and was all a placebo effect and gets upset with me because I didn't want to continue it. I don't think there's appropriate education being placed on these towards medical professionals. I realize they can help but there seems to be complete denial about adverse effects."

Lexano May 1, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Like you, you're reaching out for hope because you're going through one of the most horrible experiences in your life. But anxiety always passes, and lexapro helps your mind heal and recover. I had bad anxiety before that turned into anxiety disorder (afraid of anxiety itself). Just know that this is your mind tricking you and you have to learn no longer to be afraid of it. Lexapro will help you break the cycle and get you out of the hole quicker. Side effects were at their peak for the first two weeks, with even sometimes worse anxiety, but each day gets better. Sexual side effects subsided as well after the first 2-3 weeks as most are psychosomatic. Just try to remember your mind wants to calm down and its only temporary. I have been through hell and made it out the other end to see the light - just give it time and patience, it will pass and Lexapro helps."

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

"This drug has helped me so much with my anxiety. I was not able to even go to work or talk to people at all. I was very depressed because of this. After being on this drug for about 3 months now I am feeling such a difference. I haven’t missed any work, I am excited to go every day, I talk to people, have made new friends, gone out with people. I would recommend this drug to anyone who is experiencing severe anxiety that is accompanied with nausea and vomiting. I have no experienced any anxiety symptoms for about a month now. No side effects from this drug either."

Laurio (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018