User Reviews for Escitalopram systemic

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I started Lexapro about a year ago. I had my thyroid removed and while trying to find the right dose of synthroid after surgery, It was a roller coaster of up and down. After finding the right dose of synthroid, my symptoms were better but still a problem. I started Lexapro to help even me out. I started at 5 mg for a couple days. I did have some uncomfortable side effects. Nausea being the main problem for about 4 days. I am so glad I stuck with it. I upped to 10 mg after a few days. I started to feel significant improvement on day 11 of taking the medicine. After a few months I noticed I still had some anxiety and a little depression around my menstruation. I upped to 15 mg and this worked great. After 8 months or so of feeling 90% better, I had a little dip. I started to feel a little more anxious around my period again, so I upped to 20mg. This has been the ideal dose for me. I have no anxiety and no depression. I feel normal and myself again!"

Anonymous November 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am back to write an update on my almost 5 month journey on Lexapro. I am feeling great, and have a lot of positive things to say. I am starting back nursing school (to specialize in psychiatry, of all things!) this January after quitting due to my mental breakdown. I am back to working fulltime. I'm calm, and feel mentally able to achieve what I want in my life. The OCD rituals are a bare minimum now, and the horrible mood swings I had before starting Lexapro have almost completely disappeared. My anxiety and depression once had me homebound, and now I'm leaving my house 4-6 days a week, and I enjoy being out again. I'm 24 and have struggled with mental health problems since the age of 12, and thought I was doomed for life. Your life can turn around for good, so don't give up on yourself. Prayers for you all that you find happiness and live your lives to your fullest potentials. Be blessed."

Starry87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was very hesitant to try any medicine for my persistent anxiety and low grade depression (30+ years of drudgery). I finally "called uncle" when it was clear that I would literally not make it through without additional help. I went to the doctor and balled my eyes out as she listened patiently. She started me on 10mg which made things worst for about 2 weeks and then kicked in nicely. I felt sooooo much better. I asked the doctor to increase my dose to 20mg which she agreed to to do. There was an immediate change for the better and now after about a month on 20mg I am feeling almost no anxiety or depression. An amazing drug! Side effects are sleepiness and some loss of libido. The list of good effects are too long to list. Increased patience with the kids. Being a better husband in so many ways. I feel like I am more in control of my life instead of always trying to avoid things that were uncomfortable. I recommend Lexapro!!"

TheNervousSuit (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2018

"At 30 I had my first experience of depression & anxiety. After 2 months of trying the natural & holistic route, my GP advised I try Lexapro. I was so scared & worried about trying this and what effect it would have. I started on 5mg and went up to 10mg after 1week. I was very tired and spaced initially for about 4 days with no appetite or energy but my anxiety & panic attacks decreased within 1 1/2 weeks! Increasing up to 10mg had no extra side effects. The depression took longer to lift & I increased to 15mg after 6 weeks. This helped hugely! I started to feel a little better after 3-4 weeks but had bad mornings. It lifted slowly and around week 8/9 I felt so much better. I wasn’t avoiding crowds, I wasn’t overthinking & ruminating. I felt like myself again! I used generic brand I’ve found it ok to taper off over 3/4 weeks! I’m back on it after relapse. It works for me at 10mg! I hope to drop to 5mg and stay on that long term! Good luck everyone x"

Koko30 October 28, 2018

"I had anxiety most of my life but a series of traumatic events (family death, divorce) made it unbearable and I had extreme insomnia. After therapy and trying natural things that weren't completely helping, my dr prescribed this. I was scared to take it (side effects, mind altering) but was desperate 2 months in and it’s made a big difference (along w/ therapy, exercise, etc). My insomnia improved a fair bit w/in 2 weeks, anxiety decreased. No significant side effects (though a few to start). I was worried about deadened emotions but it hasn't happened. I feel more like myself/calmer. I still get anxious, sad, happy, where its called for but don't have all consuming anxiety Startup was bad, I had extreme increased anxiety w/ the initial 5mg but it went away w/in 4 days (and didn't increase when upped to 10mg). I had stomach issues for 2 weeks but it was tolerable Overall, w/ other positive changes I’ve made, this has made a world of difference compared to how I was feeling before"

Reds (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started taking lexapro (10mg) for anxiety and depression. This drug took effect quickly and I felt more hopeful within the first week. After a few days I had this false sense of elation, but I eventually evened out. I was less emotional, less moody, more focused. There were ZERO side effects.... until about three months in. My hair began falling out in massive clumps. I had visible bald spots and would wear my hair up in a bun to avoid the humiliation of having handfuls of hair fall out. After about 9 months and 40% hair loss I stopped taking this medication, with the assistance of my doctor. It was only five months later when most of my hair grew back, but so did my anxiety. I started lexapro again and felt amazing until about four weeks in when my hair starting falling out again I stopped taking the drug again. My doctor and I are still working to find the right rx for me. the side effect of hair loss is very rare. I highly recommend this medication."

Crissy October 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I really hope that my review can help someone out there. Even if it only helps one person, it will be worth it to me. I just had my first child in the month of April and about 3 months later, I noticed something was different. I was scared to leave the house and even the most simple tasks seemed overwhelming. My thoughts were racing, I would pace back and forth, and I was having multiple panic attacks. I wanted to call the emergency room because I thought I was losing my mind! After suffering for a month, I spoke to my doctor and she prescribed me 10MG of Lexapro. I had every side effect including upset stomach, hot flashes, going to the bathroom constantly, insomnia, mood swings, shaky hands, loss of appetite, and nausea. After 3 weeks, my side effects are almost gone! My appetite is back, I don't have panic attacks anymore, and I'm not scared to leave the house! Please be patient with this medication. It takes 3-4 weeks to even BEGIN to be effective!"

Godspeed October 25, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "It should be in the drinking water. I've been on lexapro for 3 years. In the beginning, I had very very vivid dreams (loved that part), but it didn't last long. I made the mistake of drinking alcohol, which really, really didn't mix well with me. It made me even more extreme in my thoughts, plans, compulsions. Once I put the wine away for good, I slowly woke up and something snuck up on me: peace. I just don't experience the irrational worry and fear anymore. I don't want to yell and scream anymore. The world is a better place now."

Rett (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This worked well for my anxiety (mostly social anxiety) that I've had all my life. It didn't work as well for depression, though. I'm on 10mg and I tried a higher dose at one point but it made me too tired. But for anxiety 10mg is enough. The only reason I'm thinking of changing is for something that helps my depression better."

ade987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

"I’m coming up to finishing week 2 of 10 mg Lexapro and my anxiety has peaked big time. I started on 5 mgs for 2 weeks then Dr increased it. When will the anxiety go?!"

Nix11 October 18, 2018

"I took my first dose and the next day I experienced severe anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, loss of appetite, brain and tingling sensations in my neck. The next day I took my 2nd dose I thought I was losing my mind still didn’t sleep, still was not eating, extreme agitation, night sweats, shaking, my body would not relax or my brain. Couldn’t think. My pupils were dilated and I had diarrhea, I went back to my family dr she told me I would start to feel better after the first two weeks. She gave me clonazapam short term for sleep and Ativan for the first two weeks. The first week was very difficult but as the days passed I started to get my appetite back and could feel the nervousness and anxiety lifting. The last 3 days I felt back to myself, I haven’t had to use any Ativan but I still use the clonazapam at bedtime for sleep. The only side effect I have after 17 days is insomnia. Will update in another 4 weeks."

Chick007 October 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "People!! It takes about 4-6 weeks to work!!!!! Don’t write a review when the drug has not settled and began to give you the therapeutic benefits yet! 2-3 weeks into taking it, I felt rubbish, worst anxiety of my life, then pop, after about 4-5 weeks I feel the best I have felt in YEARS. I feel relaxed, calm and ready to take on the world, live my life like a normal person. I’ve suffered extremely bad anxiety, stress and panic attacks for over a decade, finally decided to try a regular medication, not just take a Xanax when I feel it coming on. This medication I understand may not work for everyone, but at LEAST if you can, give it 6 weeks and commit to it if you’re going to try it. Changed my life. I will say tho, the first month was bad anxiety, headaches, naps in the afternoon and just horrible. Prescribed Xanax to deal with the side effects for the first few weeks, then once it settles, no side effects, just a calm and peaceful mind. Thank you."

Just giving my opinion (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took 15mg in 2014 for over half a year. It did not do a thing against my anxiety it even caused me to "not being interested in people" anymore, unable to receive love, unable to feel my surroundings. It destroyed my: sleep (10 hours wasn't enough). My muscles got destroyed and I felt very weak till this day I'm not fully recovered. It caused heavy brain fog (till this day not fully disappeared... "

Elite_Gamer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2018

"I had similar experience to the last person. Terrible side effects. Had one dose of 5 mg and stopped due to ongoing extreme panic daily and insomnia. Burning sensations going into head from neck, like an electric shock, feeling sick, fainting. All within 4 hours of taking medication. Feelings of being out of control and not able to go out and function normally. Signed off work. When will these symptoms go away."

Mimi (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started taking Lexapro 5 mg everyday for 3 weeks. At a very low dose my anxiety was unbearable by the end of the third week. It might work for some just not for me. I am on Buspirone now just started it today so no feed back yet."

Ryon (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

"I've been on this for around 6 months now. I was started on I believe 25mg, then on to 50mg, and am currently on 100mg dose. It's no longer working. I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety. I'm not sure if I should get the dose increased or just switch medications. This is now I believe third or fourth medication I have tried and I just turned 20."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

"Am into 4th day after finishing withdrawal from Lexapro after 13 years usage. I was taking 10mg. In last 13 years 13 kilo weight gain exercise diets nothing would budge the weight. However if I knew about the side effects when ceasing Lexapro and I was told how horrible it feels maybe I would have had a choice. Wrong diagnosis new doctor picked up under active thyroid needed thyroid meds not lexapro. I hope I get through the side effects only time will tell. I will never use lexapro again. In the last month of withdrawal have lost nearly 2 kgs doing nothing."

Victoriana September 28, 2018

"I have been taking this drug for almost 2 months now and am very pleased with the results. I don't have relentless, obsessive thoughts any more and am feeling calmer and more contented at home and work. I can drive into town and get out of the car but still cannot tackle social events. Side effects: huge increase in weeing. This drives me insane and I feel that my urinary tract has increased pressure. The worst thing is the dry throat. My throat continually catches and I cough violently especially at night and drinking water doesn't help. I often feel sick after these coughing bouts.The gurgling stomach, restless sleep and a very definite change in ability to reach orgasm. One thing I would like to mention reluctantly, is that I do believe that my thoughts turn to thinking about suicide more often after starting on this drug but I would NEVER do this. I just think about it more. Overall I have high expectations that this drug will help me."

Nette (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2018

"Started 3 weeks ago as I was catastrophizing. Started on 10mg but was very nauseous, especially in the morning (like morning sickness) so I cut back to 5mg each day and the nausea feeling went away immediately. I have a little dry mouth but otherwise no other symptoms and nothing but happy, positive feelings since I started. Interestingly I have not had a migraine since starting and I usually have them quite regularly. If this drug cures my feelings of anxiety AND my migraines I am going to be over the moon!!"

Lou September 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on Lexapro 5mg (7 days at beginning) and upped to 10mg almost two weeks ago (for depression and anxiety) Straight away I had very vivid dreams and dry mouth, when I upped to 10mg I became increasingly anxious and emotionally unstable I am not able to stop crying and panicking at every situation. My paranoid racing thoughts were uncontrollable and disturbing, making me think all my close friends and family were turning against me (prior to medication my anxious thoughts often surrounded the idea that nobody loved me and were only pretending) Just wondering how long this side effect will last as it’s really negatively impacting my life and overwhelming me and ruining my relationship and self esteem"

angstandparanoid (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

"Looking for feedback- I suffer from anxiety and depression and was started on this drug 7 days ago—I have increased anxiety and nausea; I’m trying to stick with it after reading all the reviews; hopefully I’ll get thru this"

b September 21, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking this a few months. The 10mg worked well for anxiety and depression but eventually the 10mg wasn't enough so I was moved to 20 which helped for a bit but stopped and my energy was extremely low on the 10mg and 20mg. So we moved in a SNRI which helped a lot and just upped the dose of that. I do have to say lexapro works very good for anxiety. No other side effects besides being tired but some people don't get that."

Sadgirl1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I never had an issue with anxiety until I turned 26. It was like a switch went off in my head and I had a panic attack that ended up with me in the ER. I had no idea what was happening to me. I didn't want to go on medication because I was ashamed that I couldn't cope by myself. Eventually I broke down and decided I was going to lose my job, house, and life if I didn't get some help. The first few weeks of Lexapro were horrible, but listen to me when I say to stick with it. I had every side effect in the book and felt like I had the flu for three weeks. I am now on week 10 and have never felt better. I finally feel like my old self again and I can honestly say that this medicine saved me! I pray for everyone suffering from this disease. Know that you WILL get better. God speed my friends."

dani September 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on Lexapro for nine days. I was on Prozac only five before that. I have been very queasy or nauseated ever since I started the SSRI’s. It’s mainly the first half of the day. At night it tends to go away. Has anyone experienced this with these drugs and will it subside at some point. Is there anything to help with the nausea I have tried several things. Every day is so hard when you are sick all day, I also tremble in my hands unless I take Klonopin which I try not to use much. Thanks for any help."

gtwhit September 19, 2018

"I started taking this medication about two years ago for anxiety and depression. Since taking 10mg I increased my dose to 20mg and am now feeling better than ever. I used to feel tired all the time, people would call me lazy, but now I have more energy than ever before, even though the increase in serotonin in a healthy person would actually make them sleepy. People used to also complain that I would moan too much about aches and pains, especially in my stomach but since taking this med all most all of that pain has gone. I used to find it difficult to fall asleep and when I would I would sleep in until mid-day but now I fall asleep easily and wake up after about 8 hours which is probably a first in my life, and I wake up feeling refreshed and energetic. I used to always complain of feeling cold but I don't get that anymore either. I did stop taking it for about 6 months but when I had college exams the stress became overwhelming and I had to do something and started taking them again"

Darmesh (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety