User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I started taking it to treat my worsening anxiety due to stress, school, family, etc. After a few weeks of taking it my anxiety was a lot better I was more calm, peaceful, etc. But I started becoming tired all the time and super unmotivated and lack of enjoyment in the things I once loved. Then I started realizing how much more depressed I was becoming. I am still taking Lexapro but now my depression is worsening I have suffered from depression in the past and while Lexapro has helped my anxiety it has made me extremely depressed."

mylifesamess (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

"I’ve been trying to deal with GAD and work related stress myself for the last 18 months, a recent melt down (manic crying episodes, panic attacks, fear of leaving the house) landed me in my GP’s who prescribed me 5mg of Escitalopram. Long story short, had to come off of it after 4 days under the doctors advice. 3 hours after taking my first dose (and the following 4 days) saw me having severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, agitation, fever, hugely dilated pupils, accelerated anxiety and only 6 hours sleep over the whole period! GP explained it was Seretonin Syndrome and my body couldn’t take the medication. After this scary first experience of taking an anti anxiety med I’m going to do everything I can (CBT, supplements, diet and lifestyle changes etc...) before I put myself in the position of trying a drug like this again!"

Rocknrollajod (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

"I started taking 10mg of lexapro & after 5 yrs was increased to 20mg for PTSD,anxiety & panic attacks. After 3 weeks of being put on Lexapro I felt normal. I took Lexapro for 6 yrs. I was in a situation & didn't have access to my lexapro for 2 weeks. After the withdrawals (minimal) I didn't feel bad. I was more alert & happy & outgoing. I went back on it when I regained access to my normal dose & my mood changed immediately back to what I had thought was normal for 5 yrs. I stopped being spontaneous with laughter, stopped going out with friends, dinners,etc. I weaned myself off over the course of 1 month & am free of this medication & feel normal. I get up at 6:30 am, exercise & eat a healthy diet, I am creative again, calm within my head & surroundings 95% of time, happy & eager to be part of this world again. My question is was I possibly misdiagnosed, have I matured as an adult, was I on this medication so long that it became ineffective for it's initial purpose or did it served it's purpose?"

Lisa March 29, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Had terrible breathing that was a little bit of asthma but seemed a lot worse than it was, the breathing problems could last hours or multiple days at times and would come and go, sometimes would end up in full can't breathe panic attacks, actually thought it was anxiety because of this before a diagnosis. Had a chest x-ray, spirometry and bloods done to make sure there was nothing sinister and then put on Zoloft 50 mg, which I think may have been too much too quick, and this caused me to go into a near manic, panicked and upset state for about two weeks until I went back to the doctor and said that zoloft had taken a breathing anxiety condition to a crying, manic and nearly considering admitting myself state. He changed me to 20 mg Lexapro and I must say I began to settle. Give it at least 4 weeks people, be brave in the early days when you think you are losing it, it will get better, I thought I was going to lose it in the first weeks, it was a very dark time."

Jarmin March 26, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had generalized anxiety disorder for most of my whole life and always wanted to stay away from prescription drugs and always tried to reduce my anxiety with exercise, medetation, etc. it took me moving cities and having a few anxiety attack’s to try lexapro 6 months ago and ever since my life has been so much more calm and even. I still get anxiety sometimes but it’s a healthy amount and I don’t hardly worry about things that aren’t a big issue in my life. My only problem with the drug is the drowsiness and the crazy vivid dreams but otherwise it’s been great!"

Wy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've had bad anxiety (mostly social anxiety) for as long as I can remember, and taking this medication has finally allowed me to function. I started on 5 mg I think, and the only annoying thing when I started was I was tired and yawning all the time, but once my body got used to it, it didn't make me tired anymore. I now take 10 milligrams, and I did try taking 15 because I still had depression, but at 15 it seemed like I was just getting side effects without added effectiveness. I'm going to be trying a different medication just because my depression has been kicking my butt, but this did work for my anxiety."

ade987 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "STAY AWAY FROM LEXAPRO!! I started taking 5mg Lexapro 4 months ago. Starting the medication was rough, I experienced every terrible side effect it could offer. The worst was depression. I began Lexapro because of panic and anxiety, I’d NEVER had a depressed thought in my life before taking this. After 3 weeks, I started to feel a little better and my anxiety was under control. Fast forward to now - I am absolutely miserable! I’ve never had an issue sleeping and now I have extreme insomnia. My anxiety and panic attacks are back and worse than before. My head hurts, to the point of almost feeling like I have a brain tumor. I have zero motivation for life, which has made me a completely different person than I was before taking this medication. Taking Lexapro was the WORST decision I’ve ever made. Don’t risk it."

Julie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on 10mg for about a week for GAD. I didn't think it would work as I've always associated with anti-depressants with, well, depression, which I no longer suffer from. I've been using Ativan for breakthrough anxiety off and on for over ten years. It works great, but I have to wait for it to kick in after my body has already started going into panic mode, which can take up to an hour, and up until a week ago. I had been taking it almost every day because my panic levels have been through the roof. Thankfully, I haven't had to take any Ativan since I started on Lexapro. It literally started working from day one. I've been lucky so far as I've not had any of the adverse side effects that some people have, and I've slept like a baby since I started this medication, which is nuts because I haven't been able to sleep the whole night through in years. I'm hoping I won't have to be on this for the rest of my life, but I'm happy to be on it right now as it's already worked miracles."

Sabrina March 20, 2019

"Been prescribed lexapro/escitalopram for generalised and social anxiety. It's only been 2 weeks so I can't comment a lot other than side effects, the main one being mood swings. The most difficult thing to deal with is low moods, low to the point of crying in the bathroom at work for half an hour because I'm incredibly sad for absolutely no reason. I go from normal to irritable to crying in the supermarket buying potatoes with nothing to cause the sadness in between. I hope its not a permanent side effect as the meds seem to otherwise be helping keep my anxious brain a bit more chill"

Gee (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

"I gave escitalopram a nine only because I haven't been on it long enough to know if its a ten, but so far so good. I noticed other people had similar experiences with brutal side-effects early on and I'm happy to say I stuck it out. Started at 10mg 3 weeks ago and the first few days I had intense fatigue, no appetite, slept a lot, splitting headache that would wake me up (middle for forehead) and dizziness. I kept at it because I was happy the anxiety feeling was going away, even if it was replaced with a numb feeling. I'm glad I did. I'm starting to feel better and the side effects mostly subsided after week 1. I still have no appetite and feel tired but I'm feeling happier. I'm curious how long it takes to work for most people. My doc said it can take up to 8 weeks."

Maple (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

"I had anxiety so was prescribed escitalopram 5mg which I took on the first day. I felt dizzy, sleepy (but not fall asleep easily), out of reality, out of focus, I couldn’t drive very well or work. I stopped it immediately! My doctor said I exaggerate and I should continue. Then I was sleeping and waking up tired for couple of days. When I stopped I felt alive energetic and light! I didn’t have the same effects with seroxat in the past (even though other people had problem with it). I don’t believe that someone should continue to take a pill if it has such side effects. I don't believe that we should force our body."

Pepper March 19, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Had lots of freak outs the first 3 weeks on lexapro for my anxiety. It was just my anxiety scaring me thinking anything that was happening to me was the medication. I was given this for my anxiety due to postpartum anxiety and also it may coincide with depression from my moms death 2 years ago . Anxiety caused me panic attacks which ceased to exist after about 1 month on it, worked better after 7 weeks . I’m able to get up out of bed , enjoy a movie ,laugh and organize things . I look back at these unrealistic worries I had and laugh at them now . I still have some off days but they’re not nearly as much as before .I was to paranoid to drink caffeine and now I’m drinking coffee again . Yes I had some funny phobias and I’m in a better place now . I give an 8 cause it has a couple minor side effects but nothing I wanna note since I know people with anxiety will be reading this and they’re not big deals. Lexapro 10 mg for 3 months now and yes it really works for anxiety. Generic version Escitalopram"

MommyOf3 March 18, 2019

"I am a consistent worrier, keep worrying all the time about the future. My body does not respond well to stress, I get severe physical symptoms. Chest tightness and pain, which lead to anxiety attacks. Been on Cipralex for 5 days now at 10 mg started working right away. Side affects feels like it’s holding my brain from long thoughts, tired and feel kind of careless. Thinking of reducing dosage to 5mg."

Joefresh (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

"I have been on 10mg prozac for almost 6 months and have lost 8 lbs. A lot for my size without trying. I am always tired then saw dr he swapped me on lexapro 10 mg. Been on it 3 days and still feel tired can't sleep. Hoping this gets better, I need energy. I also started waking up with headaches."

Lart (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"I was hoping this med would be the med for me, but definitely not. Upon the first day taking it, my anxiety increased so badly I was restless and in so much emotional pain. My mind wouldn't stop overthinking everything and causing my anxiety to worsen. On the 3rd day I vomited from stress due to this med raising my anxiety levels. Have stopped taking it starting today. Not for me. Do keep in mind though it may be a good experience for you."

02 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2019

"I want to thank all the reviewers who had the guts to stick with Lexapro for anxiety for 1-2 months despite lack of relief and even worsening of symptoms, and then who took the time to write encouraging reviews here. They gave me the courage to do likewise. After about 2 weeks on 5 mg I began to feel some relief from anxiety/insomnia, and after 2 more weeks on 10 mg the symptoms completely resolved (going on 3 weeks now). This allowed me to simultaneously taper from 0.75 to 0.5 mg clonazepam, and I plan to gradually taper that down to 0, in addition to staying away from alcohol, which probably is the primary cause. Since quitting alcohol 9 months ago it has been a long, hard struggle to find the right rehab/medical support, lots of dead ends and bad choices, even trips to the ER. But Lexapro seems to be the solution for me. This stuff can work! Just be strong, have faith, and hang in there!"

this_stuff_works (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on Lexapro for around 3 months. I keep waiting for it to get better. Lexapro is very effective against my anxiety, my stress level is way lower.. Lexapro make me a very calm person and more social. However, the side effects are the big problem that do not get better with time and with a reduce dosage. I can sleep for 12 hrs a day and woke up feeling drunk, headache, tired and nausea. I have tried reducing the dosage from 10mg to 7.5 then 5mg but to no avail, with the advice from my psychiatrist. I feel tired all the time with no motivation and Lexapro lower my metabolism, I gain 4kg after 3 months on this medication, I can tell that I feel less hot and sweat a lot less, that is why I am sure that it affected my metabolism. I believe that after 3 months of lexapro with several dosage changed and tried taking it in the morning or before bed, it has made no different with the serious side effect that I described earlier."

Anonymous March 9, 2019

"I've been on Escaralopram for 3 months now and am pleasantly surprised. I’m no a big fan of prescription medication and had tried Xanax many years ago which made me feel like a zombie and I hated it. I finally worked up the courage to try something my doctor described as “mild” and went with Escatalopram. I still feel like myself. I don’t feel like I have to force a laugh out or anything like I felt with Zanax. I just feel like I have a little nudge helping me be a bit more calm. I’m a high stress person, I have a high stress life and I do well in those situations and don’t know how to relax. This has just barely taken that edge off where I can sit and watch a show without feeling anxious about everything I’m not doing. My only complaint would be that I yawn CONSTANTLY now. And I read that was a side effect. That’s pretty annoying."

AndyisDandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2019

"Female aged 56 at time of being prescribed Escitalopram; experiencing stress in a highly stressful job. Surprised when Doctor suggested this type of medication however prepared to give it a go. Started on half dose and noticed I was coping better and able to mentally let go of the many demands of the job, eventually increased to higher dose. After 18 months and since having a change in job roles and a new relationship ( this medication had a big effect on my libido however had not had a relationship for several years so it hadn't bothered me ) I reduced and stopped taking it. It also had the effect of heavy sleep and caused lethargy. I am more energetic and feeling sexy. Not all roses though as my mild incontinence has also returned along with some aches and pains that had disappeared , which I don’t understand. Like others I also experienced horrible side effects when first taking this medication however after a few weeks they disappeared. Overall a helpful experience."

Flo March 8, 2019

"3 months on Lexapro (escitalopram) helped get me out of my Postpartum anxiety / panic disorder after birth of child #3 and my depression from my mom passing 2 years ago . I also made an effort to put myself around ppl and force myself out that helps along with medication. I used to have heart palpitations and obsessive irrational thoughts that made me think I was going to go crazy , which really scared me ! But now I look back at that and laugh . Took about 7 weeks to feel some change . I’ve always loved my hubby and kids that’s why I sought help so they could have me present . Plan on taking this for a year till my hormones go back to normal lol only reason I gave an 8 is for the constant farting that kicked on this month and sweet cravings that kicked in right away but hey I’ll take it instead of panic or depression. Not every day is smooth but that’s life ...it’s better then before that’s for sure"

PPA/PPD Warrior (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2019

"Hello this is my first day of taking a 10mg dosage of Lexapro. Maybe he should of prescribed me a lighter dose but regardless feel it wouldn't of made a difference. I feel like I'm on CRACK. Similar feeling to MDMA & Ecstasy. Nauseous to the extreme & very confused. I know they say these types of medication takes time & you should wait it out after 2 weeks but my gut feeling is telling me this is not for me. GRANTED EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Literally varies from person to person some love this drug & some hate it. I am on it for 12 hours now and I still feel high as a kite. I feel artificially happy as if I am a giant walking chemical. 12 hours & I still feel high. I will be seeking out other ways other than medication for my anxiety. I also got prescribed xanax which I am at least used to."

chloeb218 March 7, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on Lexapro for approximately 2 weeks and have already noticed a great improvement. Prior to taking the medication, I felt high levels of anxiety that would especially interfere with my ability to concentrate during class. The first few days, I experienced some insomnia and kept waking up frequently throughout the night. DON’T LET THIS STOP YOU FROM CONTINUING IT. The unpleasant side effect wore off very quickly. As of now, my level of anxiety has significantly decreased. I feel much more confident socializing and can finally concentrate. The ONLY problem is feeling very tired and lethargic, which I think is a much better alternative to feeling anxious all the time because you are at ease. I am glad I did not listen to the negative reviews even though I was very scared at first!"

MickeyMouse44 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

"I’ve been taking this for 5 years. I have these spells of debilitating anxiety which spirals into depression. Torture. If you’re reading this you probably understand. I start on 5mg. It worked after about 2-3 weeks. I was happy. My appetite came back. I felt like my normal self again. I felt like it saved me. Then I started to decrease and when life and stress happens I relapsed about 2 years later. I increased the lexapro to 7.5mg and it started to kick in again after a couple weeks. Now two years later and dealing with life circumstances that are incredibly stressful and I feel bad again, but I’m increasing to 10mg or maybe 15mg. The main side affect I had when I first started and increased was insomnia. It was hard and lasted about a week. But I just pushed through. That’s all you can do in this situation! Keep pushing through and trust things will get better. I’m trying to remind myself of this now as I’m in the midst of it. It’s so hard to see the other side."

Floridagirl February 21, 2019

"I have never had any prior issues with anxiety or panic attacks until I was in my late 40's. Just happened one day to the point where I was having trouble functioning on a daily basis. Finally saw my doctor who prescribed Escitalopram. It took a good 4-6 weeks to feel the results but it has literally helped me feel like 'I'm back to my old self'. I have now been on 10 mg for almost 2 years and feel great. For those of you just starting out on this medication, give it a chance to work, it will be well worth it."

LAB0607 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2019

"After fighting 5 years against panic attacks, anxiety, mild depression, I just ended where I need this pill, which prescribed by doc at day one. But I avoided taking it for many years. But now working without help was not possible. After 3rd week, I was ashamed of myself that I didn't give it a try at start, so I could have avoided the awful life I had been living for 5 years. I highly recommend for those who want help against anxiety."

anxious (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019