User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 1143 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 66% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

32% 366
3% 40
11% 126

Reviews for Escitalopram

Carolinetruuu · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was on Lexapro for a little under a year and it didn’t help whatsoever with my anxiety. It didn’t necessarily make it worse but it didn’t help either. I started on the lowest dose and then went up and on the second highest dose I turned into a rage monster. This one wasn’t for me.”

Sammy February 26, 2021

“Escitalopram has been great to me. Was started on 5 mg dose escitalopram by Cipla from Walgreens and it was amazing after 2-3 weeks adjustment . Then later started on escitalopram from Lupin from CVS and it was great for anxiety but I had delayed ejaculation as a side effect which got better over time . Then I went to Randall’s in Houston which is an Albertsons subsidiary with GoodRx coupon which was 8$ for 90 days compared to 40$ from CVS and Walgreens and got escitalopram 5 mg distributed by Solco Healthcare and manufactured overseas . After one month I started have severe anxiety and migraines Again like pre Escitalopram that lasted 2 weeks till I decided to switch to the one from CVS Lupin manufacturer and the anxiety and migraines improved drastically. Please be aware of the Escitalopram from Solco Healthcare . It’s a round white pill P5. Don’t use it Please and be careful of cheap generics from now on .”

Handy · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 19, 2021

“I have been on escitalopram for 4 years and after awhile I had to be put on lorazepam 2 mg 3 times a day . IT does nothing for my anxiety contrary to what is suppose to do. Now I am addicted to it. I am about 80% helped with this pill which I take 30 mg in the morning. Is there anyone that has a similar experience . My Dr said I can’t help you , I tried everything. Major side effect in my extreme anxiety.”

home · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 18, 2021

“I did not care for the flat emotion. I am not a robot.”

NGD February 17, 2021

“Thank you to everyone who says to ‘hang in there’, when I feel anxious I come on here and read positive reviews to get me through. I have always been a little bit of an anxious person but big shock with a family member tipped me over the edge. Tremors hit me so bad. I wake up and as soon as I open my eyes my body shakes and I lay in the fetal position. I didn’t start escitalopram straight away, thought I could get better on my own, silly me. I have now started medication, 5mg for 4 days then 10mg. I am now on day 13 and boy has it been rough. I now know what people mean when they say the first couple of weeks are super bad. Side effects are horrible with restless, dizziness and fatigue. I just want my life back. I will hang on for dear life and report back in a few days. Thanks again for the positive reviews. I wish there was a chat line where ppl could text each other. Just wanted to touch base and thank everyone as I don’t feel so alone when I read reviews. Love to all”

Epello · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has been literally life-changing. I didn’t realize how bad my anxiety was until it was gone, but WOW what a difference. I was paralyzed with anxiety, had panic attacks regularly, etc, and now that I don’t, it blows my mind that I used to live like that. I’ve always been against meds of any kind and had tried every supplement I could research, but nothing ever worked like lexapro has. (Only take 10mg and have had no side effects.)”

maceta · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2021

“Before taking escitalopram I had explosive and violent reactions but after use escitalopram 5mg I can control my stupid violent reactions. Nowadays I am a new human being, I used it for 3 months.”

Hamed February 3, 2021

“I have a general social anxiety disorder. My doctor prescribed me escitalopram 10mg and I used it for a couple of months. It didn't fully treat my anxiety but it decreased the symptoms a bit. My doctor then prescribed me with 20mg dosage of those tablets. Now after two weeks I feel more stressed and I am sleepy and out of energy most of the times. Why isn't there a right medication for this bloody anxiety?”

Egvile · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

“I was on Etalopro for few months for the first time (it was for asthma that was anxiety related), before I tried Xanax. Both meds worked really well for me. Etalopro I will say it's really an amazing med for your mood, concentration, sharpens memory, no emotions for stupid things, I am off this med for few days feeling withdrawal such as light headaches, dizziness, but all only light symptoms. I would absolutely recommend them for anyone suffering from depression, anxiety or other diseases.”

Elle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2021

“I started out with 10 mg of Lexapro and then switched to 20 mg after a month of not really feeling a difference in my anxiety levels. I've been on the 20 mg for about two weeks and I don't feel like my anxiety has increased or decreased and I've had pretty low energy. I'm tired from pretty much the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep and then I have a lot of trouble falling to sleep. My libido has definitely decreased as well, and actually reaching orgasm is super difficult. Hopefully, I'll be switching meds soon :(”

Magda January 27, 2021

“I have been prescribed escitalopram for anxiety and panic attacks. I started to have panic attacks out of nowhere, sometimes even 3 and more panic attacks a day, or I could wake up with panic attacks in the middle of the night lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat and was anxious - also important to mention that I have MS and all this started when I switched from Copaxone to Ocrevus. Finally, I was prescribed with Escitalopram. I was supposed to take it before sleep, however first days I got so anxious from taking it, that I couldn't fall asleep almost until morning. So after 3 days, I switched and took it in the morning - took 5 mg first week and since then I am taking 10 mg. The first week my condition worsen - almost couldn't sleep at all, lost a lot of weight and had some night panic attacks but after like 10 days I felt so much better - no more panic attacks and my sleep improved so much!! Only downside is fatigue, other than that I feel great.”

Tripp January 26, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Omg Lexapro has seriously saved my life. I had tried Effexor before it, and the side effects were so bad that I had a mini seizure. I was so afraid to try another drug that I almost didn't take the Lexapro. I'm so glad I did though. I have never felt this free of anxiety. I used to get literally paralyzing panic attacks and endless days of crying over anxiety sparked by freakin' nothing. I can live my life now and I feel so inspired to be creative again. I will never go back. Don't get me wrong I still have anxiety at times, but it doesn't just sit all day with me or trigger depression anymore.”

Happy Hapa · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started taking Lexapro after 5 weeks on Prozac wasn’t working for me. On Prozac I felt completely numb and my emotions were blunted and causing me to spiral into depression. I could feel the effect of switching to Lexapro almost immediately. My anxiety has decreased substantially, no panic attacks, and I’m able to feel pleasure and joy again. The only side effect I’ve had is moderate drowsiness so I take it at night. I am so relieved that I stuck with it and had the courage to switch to a different SSRI. For any of you that are feeling discouraged, stay the course and find what works for you. This med was a lifesaver for me.”

Moly January 25, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have OCD intrusive thoughts. I have so much anxiety that I can’t sleep. Sometimes I’ll be up for hours and only sleep 1-3 hours a night. My anxiety will feel like death, I literally feel like someone is going to hurt me and death is near. My chest will hurt, I can’t think and my hands tingle. I can barely function and I have a family and work full time. Pros: After taking Lexapro, I have not had any anxiety, I am able to sleep at night. And I don’t even have a lot of intrusive thoughts. If I do, I’m able to think clearly. And I don’t perform compulsions either. I went from a high 20 level of anxiety to about a 1-2. It works for me! Cons: the downside is that it will mess with your sexual drive, or inability to orgasm. I’m happily married so this is awful. I’m hoping this is temporary, and I wished there were other side effects. But I’m not sure how long I’ll be on this medication due to this side effect.”

Cooper6903 · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Today my 4th day on this med my doctor started me on 10 mg dose. The side effects have been horrible: headaches, nausea, the worst side effect is that I literally can't get out of bed and I haven't been to work in 4 days. Doctor told me to cut the 10mg tablet in half start taking it at night because my body is getting used to the serotonin, I can't sleep and it has been like this for a couple of days. I haven't gotten anxiety but have gotten panic attacks very little. I will update”

Murph · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Hey Gang, I suffered from DP/DR and depression because of it. It nearly was the last straw for me last year in 2020, but I read these reviews and it gave me hope. I took a gene test, learned that I needed to supplement with Deplin due to MTFHR gene. I paired 5MG of lexapro w/ .5mg Rexulti and my life changed. I had zero sexual side effects which was a major concern for me and most of all, I'm doing the things I love again.”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapro 6 weeks now 5mg. I have been suffering with anxiety for years and finally decided to talk to my doctor about it. I wish I started it sooner!!! It has been a life changer.”

Bex · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I thought I could cope without antidepressants & wasted many years of my life struggling with stress & anxiety. After an extremely stressful event I eventually 'crashed' & could no longer function. I couldn't eat, had terrible restlessness, I felt like I was detached from everyone & everything, I couldn't focus, I was confused, not sleeping at all most nights & depression hit hard. I had no choice but to begin medication immediately. The initial side effects of Cipralex wore off after about 2 weeks. My appetite returned, I began sleeping again & I felt calm. The side effects were minimal & were a small price to pay for the benefits of the medication. I was on 10mg for 14 months & tapered off gradually over 4 months. I had discontinuation symptoms of anxiety & insomnia for a few days but it's now been 2 weeks since stopping completely & I'm feeling great!”

Leslie · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “An anti-depressant that makes you horny. First I would like to say that I have tried every anti-depressant know to man or woman!!! My last Script was celexa it was ok but coming off that stuff made me want till stab everyone and sex was close to non existent. Now here is the good part! Doc tried me on lexapro no noticeable change after day 1, Day 2 I felt really calm but day 3 Wow!!!! All I could think about was sex! I was so wet. I have really bad anxiety and lexapro is orgasmic bliss!!! Thanks Doc. Leslie From South Carolina”

Much better January 17, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro changed my life for sure! My family has a history of anxiety so it was not a surprise when I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks. That warm, flush, buzzing feeling that overtakes your body and your mind immediately thinks you’re going to die or that you're sick. Your heart is racing and feels like it’s going to jump out of your chest and your head is spinning. It’s a feeling I don’t wish on anyone and it was starting to control my life. Once I started lexapro I almost immediately noticed positive results. It took about 6 weeks to really notice significant changes and about a year before I would say I was 100% myself. But it very quickly made my life manageable and now I can’t imagine my life without it! I still get breakthroughs now and then where I get a bout of anxiety but it’s usually short lived and manageable. If you have just started lexapro hang in there!”

Jk · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “On lexapro for about 7 days now and boy I have mixed feelings so far. The first 3 days my anxiety was minimal. I felt good but on day 4 it all changed. Severe heart palpitations to where I had to call 911 thinking that my number was called. Not sure if I should stop this med or continue so I opted for the latter. I'm giving it a couple more weeks hopefully it kicks in if not I'll try something else.”

PS January 12, 2021

“I have been on (escitalopram) 5mg from 2 days. I didn't feel much in the way of side effects. So I am feeling ol, just getting little more anxious thoughts and mood swings. Rest all ok. I will share my journey again after few days. But it is a first for me being on anxiety medication. I am hoping to feel better and back again soon. Lots of love to all who are struggling. You are not alone. We all are in this together..hugs..!”

LC · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 6, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Currently 10 days into my second time on Lexapro. I’ve been on 10 mg since 2013 for Chronic anxiety. Last year I started to taper off on my own and I pushed it too far. A severe breakdown over the holidays showed me that I’m more myself with my medication. Oh boy the first week was horrible. I would read these reviews for encouragement in my darkest moments. Go for walks, talk with your loved ones, allow yourself to lay low and give the medication a chance to work. My appetite is still missing and I’m still have racing/disturbing thoughts but I feel better each day! My insomnia has subsided and the muscle twitches. Lexapro has saved my life once before and I know it will again. If you’re reading this- hang in there, you’re not alone in this struggle. You can do hard things!”

KD · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

“Day 1 of 5mg Escitalopram. Took before bed. I woke up 3 times and got a total of 6 hours of interrupted sleep. I’m anxious. I haven’t felt the effects of anxiety like this in at least 5 years. Xanax worked just fine for me but now I’m told there is no option to continue with what has worked for longer than 6 weeks. I’m experiencing low energy, vertigo type anxiety and a slightly tight chest. If I had to work, it wouldn’t happen. I definitely can’t drive. I hope this changes. I feel out of control again. Why is it that doctors don’t just let sleeping dogs lay?”

Pickles January 5, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I am a firm believer that everyone has a specific medication that works for their brain chemistry. Lexapro just happens to be my miracle drug! If I could rate it higher than 10 I would. I see that a lot of people have low libido on this medication, but that is not the case with me. My sex drive has actually improved massively when anxiety & depression aren't in the picture. I've been on 10mg Lexapro for 2 years and it has taken the very dark lows out of my life without any side effects. My emotions more controlled, my anxiety is calmer, my life is such much more manageable. Only con to lexapro is night sweats & brain zaps (only if I forget a dose - if I don't forget a dose, that doesn't happen). Other than that, I cannot recommend Lexapro enough. It has improved my life tenfold & given my happiness back. Lexapro doesn't make you feel like a zombie; I feel more myself than I have my whole life. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt. It could be your miracle drug too.”