User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I took 5mg for three weeks and the upped the dosage to10mg. That was 7 weeks ago. I had very few side effects with the initial start up or when the dosage was upped. The reason I upped the dosage was because I read where 5mg was not therapeutic. My anxiety has disappeared completely. However, I am having a problem with the fatigue. I am going to talk with doctor about taking it at night instead of morning. Possibly need to lower the dosage. My biggest fear is insomnia. I can deal with other side effects but insomnia makes me crazy. The fatigue is not every day but hit bad this afternoon. I am also weaning off clonazepam. I took .5 every other day for four months. This month was .25 every third day. Next month .25 every fourth day."

Linnie Lou September 24, 2016

"I was prescribed 25mg of escitalopram for my anxiety at work/social anxiety. I had tried before Amitriptyline which is an older medicine for this but it made me really sleepy, literally it would knock me down for 12 hours which was very disruptive. I started a new job which was demanding and escitalopram kept me calmed and still I was able to think clearly. The problem with it is that as the previous medicine it made me sleepy (I'd come home after work and I'd be exhausted, just wanted to lie in bed and read). Also I gained lots of weight, it made me less active (stopped gym) and made me crave carbohydrates which caused this. It did work though. My doctor has switched me to Zoloft, when I have more info I'll write on that"

XenApp_39 September 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had immediate results.I definitely felt less edgy just 3 days into my 10mg nightly dose. I had a headache first two days but took pain relief and it knocked it out. So far it has already provided relief from my constant anxiety and edginess."

Storm1617 September 22, 2016

"I started this med after I found out my husband had affair. I was lost, didn't want to live. All I wanted to do was cry. Been on this medicine for around 3 months, 10 mg to start w/ now up to 20mg. This medicine has been a lifesaver for me. It has even helped save my marriage. I have Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I finally got myself out of the darker place I was in, the place I hope to never go back to. I'm feeling much stronger day by day. Still have a few moments where I think about what he did but I can deal with it, we deal with it. My depression is about completely gone, my work at my job has improved, I can socialize with others now with no problem. Life is looking better."

felt broken (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Having been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder over ten years ago and taking Xanax 1 mg. twice a day, I was surprised when my doctor prescribed Lexapro, not instead of, but in addition to. He said it was a mood stabilizer, but I know its and SSRI generally used as an anti-depressant. Medical guidelines now require, or at least I've been told as much by my doctor, that primary physicians are required to ask questions regarding mental health. I was asked, "Have you in the past two weeks lost interest in your normal activities?" No. "Have you in the past two weeks had thoughts of suicide?" No. Still, he prescribed the Lexapro and I started taking it. The side effects were horrible. Every symptom of depression, which I didn't have"

robalo September 13, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am on day 6 of taking Lexapro and I must say that I am very pleased with the results so far. My husband is deploying and I began experiencing panic attacks and anixiety back in May. I thought it was just me and I could brush it off or "get over it". As time went on, I noticed that my symptoms became worse. I was crying everyday, worrying, panic attacks, aniexty attacks and having intrusive thoughts, which began to make me extremely depressed. I had no energy, insomnia, crying, mentally exhausted and no appetite. I finally broke down and went to my GP and told him what was going on. He recommended several different anti-depressants. I had been reading about the different anti-depressants and found that Lexapro got the best reviews. I was reluctant to begin taking meds but thought I had no choice. I know it might be premature but I feel 100% better that I did a week ago. The only side effect that I experienced was a insomnia for the first 3 nights, loss of appetite and no libido. I didn't have much of a libido to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. I didn't experience nausea like I read on other reviews. I am slowly getting my appetite back and sleep so good at night. It makes a little groggy first thing in the morning but once I get up and get going, I'm good. I take 10 mg every morning. My doctor wants me to increase my dosage to 20 mg after 2 weeks but I will wait and see how I feel. I highly recommend this medication. It has really helped me. I feel so much better!!!"

hondachick96 September 8, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was having terrible mood problems and depression. The doctor prescribed me Lexapro...and I guess I never realized I even suffered from anxiety until now. The results were beyond amazing---mood has been lifted noticeably...but the kicker...and VERY unexpectedly-my cervical pain was reduced by about 97% -and tension I dealt with nearly daily (I thought from the imperfection of my cervical vertebrae-because I had a 2-level fusion about 11 years ago and they've spotted a slight bulging recently in the C4 vertebrae, which is right above the fused level) and I could finally-FINALLY-get off of pain medication, after relying on it for a decade to make my days bearable! Many yrs of pain mgmt.-and an unexpected med takes care of nearly 100% of it!"

Meliss74 August 31, 2016

"I have only been on this medication (5mg) for a few days. If it were not for the reviews I would feel like I am losing my mind. So far I've been nauseous, moody, and yawning alot. Although there are headaches they are not as frequent, however I have been experiencing diarrhea several times of day, loss of appetite, and fatigue. I was really struggling with anxiety and hesitant to try these pills, but will continue to hang in there for now. I hope they work. Thanks for sharing your experiences."

Arita187 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I thought Lexapro wasn't going to help my anxiety but after about 3 weeks it made a huge difference. I feel like I'm living again!"

SweetLuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am 23 and have had extreme anxiety/panic since around 20. I am super sensitive to meds/ side effects. I have tried so many AD and none have worked. Recently I have tried Remeron but had to switch due to drowsiness- I have hypersomnia. Lexapro by far has taken away my worrying mind more than anything which is amazing. The first month was pretty horrid besides that though. Constant nausea, yawning, worsened anxiety at first, headaches. I still have some nausea and now I have noticed extreme drowsiness again. I really love how it helps my anxiety, but (like always) the side effects really bother me. Try it out, get thru the 1st month. If you don't have bad side effects its the best anxiety med I have ever had. Good luck!"

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started getting anxiety my first year of college. I had previously had mild anxiety, but it was not as debilitating. I was constantly worrying what others thought about me and had obsessive thoughts. I started on 10mg of lexapro and it completely changed my outlook on life. I did not realize how fun life could be before I lived it without the looming cloud of anxiety. It also helped tremendously with anxiety surrounding the intrusive thoughts. Some things that WORSENED my anxiety while on lexapro were birth control pills (hormone imbalance worsens anxiety) and hard alcohol. I take 1/2 tsp inositol powder (a type of vitamin) and probiotics that seem to help my anxiety and depression in addition to the lexapro."

hibiscusgirl August 23, 2016

"Well after 4 weeks I feel great. 46 yrs old suffered from Anxiety all my life and just had enough of living in flight or fight mode. I was very anxious about taking any medication, reading all the reviews prior Not sure if that helped. I didn't want to just rely on a drug but make some life style changes at the same time . So I went to the docs and asked to be reffered to a councillor. This was very beneficial as I was determined to get some tools to help with underlying issues. Lastly started moderate excersize. All this helped but like others I can say around 4 weeks, I fealt a big difference kick in. Dealing with day to day challenges , I feel just more in control and don't get the physical stress triggers. I hope the above has helped"

Kev46 August 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Only took 2.0 mg first time & 2.0 mg in evening. So 4mg altogether daily. Instant relief upon first dose. Immediate. Gave me headache first dose for about 3 hours but after that all good for 3 days. On 4th day got another headache in evening for few hours. Last night took it at about 10pm, got to sleep but woke up at 4am couldn't get bk to sleep til 7am. Gives u vivid dreams that feel real. I wouldn't recommend starting with any more than 2.5mg or 4mg max split in two doses at least 8-10-12 hrs apart. 2.0mg each dose max. I'm thinking of making my evening dose just 1mg or bc it's much stronger and more of an upper than celexa. Does makes u feel tired but the anxiety is gone, less hypersensitive but can be too 'high' agitating."

15fgybniikmoolgfdc (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm in my early 30's and never had a problem with depression or anxiety until I lost my mother to cancer 18 months ago. I fell into a depression after that and my doctor prescribed me generic lexapro for short term depression ( as it has never been an issue). I noticed within 2 weeks that I felt better...I had more energy, etc.. Not liking the idea of being on meds, I weaned off it after 6 months.. I still had withdrawal symptoms (electric shock feeling). Well after that my husband left me and that combined with the loss of my mother was too much to bear. I was miserable. I only left the house to go to work and it was difficult to pull myself out of bed. As soon as I got home I would throw on pj's and just lay on the couch. PAGE 1 of 2"

Anonygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

"Positive"

Yaeirr1964 August 16, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had exaustion, stress and anxiety for a few months now and recently the anxiety got worse and for the first time in my life I had a panic attack twice in one day. I went to hospital and the doc prescribed the meds but I was afraid to start taking them. I also saw a therapist who also thought I could get past this without meds. After I had a bad panick attack at night I decided to start taking them..Its been 3 days and I have hardly slept and have nausea especially in the evenings and at night..Im feeling less anxious but I really need to sleep because I have to go back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this gets better because my doc said she is only putting me on these for 2 weeks then we will review and see if I can go off them"

MMKGC August 10, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had panic attacks for years after trying many other a it depressants that made this worse Lexapro was my magic pill I have had a 90% reduction in acute panic disorder and general anxiety, with this drug I'm normal person again and I have my life back. I'm my opinion this is a blockbuster drug and I'm so thankful to the chemist that created it. Thank you for giving me my life back! <3"

Jesse S. August 4, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

"I started taking this med for anxiety a few weeks ago. I had a few side effects like nausea and headaches and I wasn't sure if it was doing anything. I talked to my doc and he added xanax for 10 days to jump start the Lexapro. It has helped a lot. What mostly helped with my side effects was taking the meds late evening. Now i have no side effects and feel great."

TVC July 24, 2016

"Excellent results--very calming effect"

Busternuckles July 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

"I started it to treat depression from life circumstances and anxiety, specifically health-related anxiety ("hypochondria") and it's turned my life around. Yes there have been side effects, but ones I can live with for now. At first I felt tremendously tired, that lasted about a week. It happened again when I upped my dose due to being depressed over the winter months. Sexual side effects happened in the beginning but went away. The tiredness went away. I'm so much more normal now. I went from being a total wreck and thinking I was dying every day/crying about everything to functioning normally again. The only side effect that still bothers me is a feeling of dizzyness or lightheaded and almost "not being there" sometimes, forgetfulness."

betterthanbefore July 19, 2016

"Been taking these meds for 2 weeks now. I was diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome as a very small child and have had problems with anxiety & my overall mental health for most of my life. Just recently, I started to have panic attacks (scariest thing ever, I thought I was dying). So while I'm waiting to see a shrink, my GP prescribed me an antideppressant. It has significantly decreased my anxiety & sadness. It is also excellent as a pain-killer (I have ankylosing spondylitis/arthritis too). Worked far better then any NSAID I have taken. Side effects are harsh though. I felt tipsy & nauseous the first time I took it. Diarrhea. Nightmares. Severe restlessness. Racing thoughts. High sex drive that negatively interferes with day to day life."

isitnaptimeyet (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"I have never taken an anti-depresent/anti anxiety med before. My doc started me out with 5mg a day for a week and then 10mg a day after that. The first day I took it after about 30 minutes my mouth got extremely dry. After about an hour, I got a slight feeling of dizziness mixed with fatigue, but it wasn't horrible. The first week was the same thing, dry mouth and slight dizziness. Currently I feel fine, the only other thing I can say I have noticed over the past couple days is odd dreams, I woke up in tears from a dream and thats never happened before. The only other thing is mild night sweats. Other than that I am enjoying this med and it has been working for me, but I feel like I may need to up my dose slightly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016