User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I took it on first day 10 mg ! Shaking of body , confusion , vomited 4 times , feeling sick , can't talk as much through mouth due to confusion . Burning sensation in body , passing out . Etc ! Don't take it if it's worse"

Gffff (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My son was a heroin addict which upon learning about it sent me to a very high anxiety level. If he wouldn't answer the phone by the time I drove home in my mind I thought for sure he was dead. This medicine made me normal again no thoughts like before no crying episodes and just calm. I'm on 10 mg been on it 2 years. Just feeling great"

Drososny (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've had anxiety and severe panic attacks for a year now. 10 mg helped but still had attacks on the weekend. I just started 20 mg so hopefully that will stop them completely! The two weeks of side effects (headache, insomnia) are worth the end result!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

"The first 3 days of taking this I couldn't stop yawning!! I was literally yawning about once every minute. This went on for hours, it was incredibly annoying (although I've heard this is a very rare side effect). Finally after 3 days the yawning subsided. On the 4th day I was so nauseous I couldn't even eat. Now I'm 3 weeks in, I still sometimes get nauseous but nowhere near to the extent that I was nauseous on day 4. Also my sex life has drastically taken a hit. I went from being a very sexual person to now not finding any pleasure in sex at all. Also my mind is foggy and I'm very distracted. I'm stopping the medication today because I haven't seen any improvements in my anxiety."

Al82 January 12, 2017

"I've taken escitalopram before and it worked good for my anxiety but I stopped taking it after about two months cause I felt better. The shortness of breath came back and takes a while to go away. I can't even exercise anymore due to it. I had to resign from the fire academy cause my body could not keep up. I've always been fit. Anxiety can be really frustrating because of the physical symptoms. Escitalopram did work for me and fast like within days. I also had problems having sex, and I love sex. I was very sexually active in high school and short after until I hit 22. I'm 28 now. I have good and bad days, mostly bad. I want my sex life back, and I want to be able to work out like I used to. Anyone else have SOB?"

Guy5433 January 8, 2017

"My only regret is not taking this sooner in life. I suffered with anxiety as well as PMDD that disrupted my life and marriage frequently. I had tried Cipralex previously but was scared off because I started at full dosage. Upon the guidance of my pharmacist I started 5mg for two weeks and then went up to 10. Side effects were minor and went away after a month or so. I still have some difficulty climaxing and may start taking Wellbutrin as well to negate this. Otherwise I am a happy, carefree confident person. I'm social, I have no more social anxiety and very little anxiety in general. I am calm and don't sweat the small things. I hope this continues to work for me."

Mands01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

"I decided to try Escitalopram after battling severe anxiety and depression for over 4 years. The initial side effects were extremely hard to cope with. I personally couldn't work for the first 5 days. I struggled to concentrate, function normally and just slept all the time. After about day 10-11, I was feeling good but a bit zombie-like as if I was living but not really emotionally there. My doctor recommended I start taking 20mg after 1 month of taking 10mg. I'm now on week 9 and feeling somewhat normal again. It's been a trip out to wonder whether this is the actual happy me that went missing or whether everything is just being masked. Overall I am happy and my anxiety and depression has vanished. Still can't cry though."

grace-g December 30, 2016

"Before I started taking Lexapro I would be anxious constantly and it the anxiety interfered with my daily life. I would avoid events, people, and responsibilities, now I don't do that anymore. I'm generally happier and functioning better in life. I also found that my anxiety opened the door to depression, now thats gone too. It took 2 months to kick in Side effects: good news is I didn't gain weight on it. My biggest complaint was that it totally killed my sex drive and made it virtually impossible to orgasm, HOWEVER I found out that taking it at night instead of in the morning brought my sex drive back :) I also feel a bit numb emotionally but it's so worth it I still take .25-.5 mg Clonzepam a few times a week if anxiety flares up"

MyNickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

"Use less benzos now that I'm taking Lexapro. Works well for anxiety!"

Anonymous December 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm on the 3rd month of taking lexapro , started off with 2.5mg every night for about a week, then upped to 5mg and when I saw my doctor again 2 weeks later he told me to try the 10mg and I have been on 10mg ever since. At first it's none stop drowsiness weird random dreams and anxiety and insomnia at night. For a good 4-5 weeks , but after that it's cravings and you eat more and calmly and it gets better! It has work wonders! Hopefully it continues to work!"

Khriz December 21, 2016

"I was suffering from severe depression to the brink I was suicidal, finally I sought help and was perscribed lexapro. I felt very nauseous soon after and within a few hours I was in the height of terrifying panic so much so I begged to be locked up because I was so scared, horrendous hallucinations and I felt like my skin was on fire. I suffered vomiting and diarrhoea for 3 days and basically hid in my room for a number of weeks after. This was from taking one tablet and have since been diagnosed with GAD which I did not have before. I'm currently trying reiki yoga counselling and meditation and know I need extta help but I have such a fear after that reaction I don't think I could survive another episode. Never again"

Trying everything (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

"Like many others I suffer from general anxiety on and off for 10 year and this past winter it got the best of me to the point that I couldn't function. I used xanax 0.5 up to 3 times per day for that episode but that is not the long term solution that I wanted. So I was put on escitalopram 10mg and holy crap it gave me my life back. The first 3 weeks were tough with the nausea, sweating, insomnia, mood swings. BUT if you can stick it out the 3-5th week I noticed a gradual and significant improvement in mood and ability to control thought.Since Week 5 I have been what I consider totally normal for the past 7 months. I encourage anyone going through this to hang in there it will get better. Listen to your doctors."

socker21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Experienced hair loss and horrible scalp issues. Also headaches and weight gain. This drug is horrible and should not be allowed on the market."

Nolexapro December 11, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have severe constant pain all over from rheumatoid arthritis which has me so crippled in my back, hands, fingers, shoulders, hips, ankles and knees. I am unable to walk and use a walker. I also have fibromyalgia which causes much pain and mental confusion sometimes. My Rheumatologist started me on 10 mg of Lexipro at first two years ago . I felt a bit drowsy for a couple of weeks until my body got used to the medicine. About four months ago had a hip replacement and a nightmare arthritis flare up. The flare up has not subsided yet , so my doctor increased the Lexapro to 20mg each morning and 20 mg each night. I take it about 8 pm a little before bed time. I haven't noticed any additional side effects . This drug helps me."

Think we'll December 9, 2016

"I have been on lexapro for generalized anxiety. I started 5mg for 4 wks, just upped it to 10 mg one wk ago. For the first week I had slight headaches, sweaty palms and hot flashes. When I went on 10mg I had a little increase in anxiety and trouble staying asleep, but hopefully this passes. I felt my anxiety decrease the first couple days on it, but the feeling of "dread" is just starting to decrease after 4 weeks. Overall I this medicine is great and I helping me function and live a normal life."

Jillmg December 7, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Wonder drug for me. I have been on and off 10 mg Lexapro for 5 years. Went through withdrawals while weaning myself off through the beginning of 2 pregnancies. Withdrawals feel like you are coming down with something and the world is a scary unknown new place. Brain zaps are weird too. But I went back on the medication after giving birth because I truly am the text book person with generalized anxiety disorder. It consumes every part of my life. I was just upped to 15 mg a week ago because the 10 was just not quite doing it for me anymore. Life has thrown some serious medical conditions our way. My son was diagnosed with cancer, as was my father, and my other son has down syndrome so my anxiety really spiked. The 15 mg has been wonderful."

Snugglebunny888 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medicine was an extremely horrible experience for me. My doctor prescribed it to me for anxiety and day one sent me off the edge. How I felt during anxiety attacks was how this medication made me feel but fifty times worse. I felt like I drank a million milligrams of coffee and was on pins and needles for 8 hours. After reading these reviews I hate that it didn't have the same affect on me as it did the majority. I hate anxiety but I can't see myself taking another one of those pills EVER."

Mbfd (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was taking Xanax..0.25 mgs three times everyday for over 13 years. My Dr wanted me to wean off of it so to help thru the process she had me take 5mgs per day of Lexapro (escitolopram). I kept taking the Lexapro for 1-1/2 years. During this time my Dr raised the dosage to 10 mgs daily. Lexapro wasn't the medicine for me. It caused more anxiety, mood swings and weight gain along with not feeling like myself. With the help of my Dr I weaned off Lexapro over a period of 3 weeks. After the 2nd day of not taking Lexapro I started with constant brain zaps, fatigue, dizziness with vertigo and felt overall awful. This continued for the next 7 weeks but the withdrawal symptoms lessened each week. I am now at the 8th week and feel wonderful!"

Nanny Robyn December 1, 2016

"Hi Xanny.Yes,I have also experienced bleeding .It is a side effect of escitalopram. As a medical student and a patient of depression ,I know both the drug academically and as a patient. I take vitamin K drugs to counter the prolonged bleeding during periods."

poorlittlerichgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

"For me, escitalopram has worked wonders. I have been on it for a month now and have not felt the need to increase my 10mg dose yet. I did experience side effects early on, a little bit spaced out and some jaw clenching but these disappeared by 2 weeks. Having tried citalopram for a week and experiencing increased anxiety with it, I feel escitalopram is a better suited to me."

ArielC (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

"I thought I'd write a review as I spent months reading these forum's trying to decide if I should try escitroplam or not. It took me months to get the courage up to take it. I started at 2.5 and bumped up to 5. I've been on 5 for about 5 weeks now and wow what a difference. Anxiety and panic attacks minimal and depression lifting. It's a very good drug. The least side effects of all I've tried. Headaches,nausea but that's all. Very happy with this. I was extremely anxious about taking this after a bad experience with prozac but I'm very pleased!"

Deb happy now November 29, 2016

"After divorcing my wife of 8 years, and all the stuff included with this such as moving, a kid etc, my life completely fell apart. I felt like I had to start over, and the extreme lonelyness caused extreme anxiety and depression. The anxiety was 24/7 for 1.5 weeks, non stop, intense, could hardly sleep and constantly wanted to die. Had it not been for my daughter I probably would've offed myself. After 1.5 months I felt depressed but better and decided to go back to work. Bad idea, anxiety came back with vengence and after 3 weeks I was asked by my doctor to start Escitalopram (she called it Cipralex, but the Escitalopram is a much cheaper generic one, so I got that one) Had no effect at up 15mg for 1 month. Then 1 week at 20mg YAY !"

Matrlx (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Have been on and off lexapro for the last 20 years (more on than off). This time I was off the medication from for about 5 months and the anxiety and depression was back even though I had a change of life style, doing plenty of exercise and changing work environments. For me the side effects were feeling nauseous, insomnia (normally 1 nights average sleep and the next no sleep, constant swallowing which I think is called dry mouth and just feeling miserable for the first 3 weeks. I'm into my fourth week now and sleeping a lot better and feeling much better in myself. If you are having the same side effects, hang in there as life will get a lot better"

Bruc November 27, 2016

"I am posting an update. I have now been on escitalopram for just under a year and I can say it definitely changed my life. My anxiety is much better and I can do more things. I went back to work and can attend social events again. The negatives for me was how long it took for the meds to take effect (it was about 1-2 months of increased anxiety, loss of appetite, loss of sex drive, irritability) then it started to work and I increased my dosage to 15MG which is what I have been on since. I'd say it took about 4-6 months for full effects and now I still feel anxiety but can handle it better. Other down side: if I forget my meds for a day or two I definitely feel the effects. I get increasingly dissociated and irritable for no reason"

Cangirl27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

"this is the most amazing thing I have ever used. I suffer from a panic disorder, and 2 months ago I stated 10mg ciraplax. I now only have 1 panic attack every two weeks whereas i was having 2-3 a day. I dont sweat the small stuff anymore and overall have a better quality of life. only long term side effect I have experienced is complete loss of appetite, and noticeable weight loss (was 5'7 and 118lbs before starting medication, so weight loss isn't beneficial). other then that no noticeable side effects. amazing medication, 100% recommend for anyone suffering from debilitating anxiety"

aqwse123 November 20, 2016