User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Lexapro (escitalopram): "After years of battling depression, anxiety and insomnia I finally broke down and went to the doctor again. This time determined to ride out the horrible side effects and actually let it work. I didn't want to be on medication and most cause weight gain, which was a big part of why I fought it so long. But Lexapro was the right choice for me. Getting through the adjustment period was rough, but in about 3 weeks I was feeling notably better. Still on 5mg and will stay on this dose as long as possible. It has been 2 months and I have gained a couple pounds, but I have also been very undisciplined with my eating. Stick with it, good luck!"

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

"Escitalopram really saved my life. I had anxiety for 5 years and at first had no idea what was wrong with me. I was put on several benzodiazepines which worked for a short time but did not fix the problem . After 5 years a new Doctor asked me to try escitalopram and told me that there are side effects with it and if I stick with it the side effects will go away. It was hard. I started on 5 mg and slowly got me up to 30 mg , all the side affects went away and I feel so amazing. I now have no more anxiety and I have my life back and I am so very happy now So my advice to anyone starting to take this med please be strong and stick with it know matter how hard it is. Trust me I wanted to stop it but I toughed it out and so happy I did for about 4 weeks and what a big difference it made"

Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was depressed because of my anxiety. I started taking Lexapro 9 weeks ago and feel the depression lifted, but going places (my trigger for the anxiety) is still there. My doctor tells me to hang in there. And I am. But I'm not sure it's helping with my anxiety. I rarely leave the house. I hope something switches soon. I need to take something for my anxiety and that alone. Lexapro works for depression part. Has anyone found a well-working medication for just anxiety? Because that is what I need."

Long-time sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have just started my round of Auro-Escitalopram and I am on day 5 of my 5mg half-tab before going on a full 10mg tablet. I take my medication at night time. The first 3 days were sort of rough; I felt different. I could not put my finger on why but I felt a bit sedated, a little odd and definitely felt “drugged”. I had a mild headache, some dizziness and I felt like I was going to faint. My appetite has diminished, my stomach was upset, I am also gassy and had some dry mouth. The first 3 nights I was also met with mild restlessness and it was hard for me to sleep longer than 5 hours. I woke up at 3AM and was peeing like crazy. With that being said, the side effects have subsided somewhat after day 5 and I am starting to notice that I can start to control my racing thoughts. I get tired at bed time like a normal human being and I can finally wake up in the morning without feeling like a zombie."

LittleAnxiousOne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have started cipralex for the first time on 2013 and I was very tired suffering from severe anxiety causing me very depressed . My dose was 5mg for two weeks, 10mg for month 20mg for year then 10mg again and I stayed on 10 mg for 4 years and it was life saving. After that I decided to stop medication because I thought that I am well. It was 6 months after that that I had a severe relapse. I thought that this time I will not be able to survive again because I started again but for three month no relief, I was very tired and exhausted and drained out of any type of energy but I decided to stick with it reading reviews here. After 4months I started feeling some relief but not total well as the previous time. So I decided to do some tests with my doctor and he told that B12 level in my blood was only 73 and that was making me very depressed And when I took B12 medication it was like magic. I am alive again Cipralex start working."

Story September 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was on this for 3 weeks and could feel it helping my anxiety, but it made me pee constantly and I was getting up 3-5 times every night to pee. Every single night. It was like my bladder was never fully empty. Obviously this was majorly affecting my sleep. It also gave me terrible gas, like the worst of my life. For these reasons, I had to stop taking it. I’m surprised I haven’t read more reviews with similar symptoms."

Kris10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"I’ve been taking this for more then 2 years now while take lamotrigine as well. I went up from 10 mg, 15, 20, and finally 25mg. The higher I went, the worse my sex drive got. If you find your perfect number, stay there! Never stop taking it without talking to your doctor. They really mean that when they say it on labels. This medication helped me a lot and changed my life for the better. My anxiety was so bad that my face would freeze up and my heart would feel like it would jump out of my chest when I used to randomly have an attack. Caffeine and sugar made my anxiety worse BTW. So avoid that no matter what. That only issue I have to be honest is just libido. Other then that, this medicine would be a 10/10 for me. Once again, everyone’s brain chemicals are different and will react differently t. When you first take it, be patient with it and it will soon work it’s wonders. Don’t be ashamed! Ever! Good luck, god bless, and remember you’re not the only one going through this."

Honest to god September 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started the medication due to panic attacks and anxiety. Initially I had much worsening anxiety and depression. I had improvement in anxiety symptoms after about 3 weeks. HOWEVER I was very ill and bedridden. My mind was calm but also I did not want to do anything. I didn't care about anything. I lost my car, my home, my job - everything because I didn't care! I was always sleepy and could sleep 14 hours straight. I had major sexual dysfunction at 26 years. I tapered off slowly after about 8 weeks. I was left with constant dizziness weeks after to the point that I fell down the stairs. Over a month after stopping, I'm doing well. No meds. Just making positive changes and counselling and trying to get back everything I lost in a couple of months on this med. I still have a little anxiety but I'm learning to control it. Gotta control it or it'll control you! I've learned that anxiety is like a bully. You have to confront it and not try to ignore it. Move TOWARD your fear! Slowly it will get better!"

tito August 29, 2018

"After a previous bad experience with side effects on Sertraline a few years ago I was hesitant to try medication again. Nearly 6 months later this drug has changed my life. Gone is the crippling over-analyzing that made it almost impossible to interact socially. I am confident and assertive, which has helped me in all aspects of life but especially at work. I am self-accepting and no longer critical of myself. Here's the experience for me so far... Dose: 5mg Initial side effects: For the first 4 days I had a moderate headache. My appetite all but disappeared for the first 3 weeks and I felt nauseous too. It was nothing too debilitating though. Achieving an orgasm was harder than before, but not impossible (I'm female). Dreams were more vivid, but not bad. Current side effects: Continued vivid dreams. After 3 months it became easier to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain: I have gained a little weight (about 3kg), but I do not believe this to be due to the medication."

Wings August 27, 2018

"No side effects for me. An advanced medicine, much more advanced than benzos. A good life without anxiety."

Windy (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2018

"I have been on this medication for about 1.5 months. I've always had anxiety, but it recently spiralled out of control for (looking back) nothing super serious, just work stress. This medication has really done wonders in terms of "taking the edge off" regarding my anxiety and anger issues. I am able to keep cool, calm, collected and controlled and have not had one bout of anxiety since. Only negatives are this incessant dry mouth feeling under my tongue, and I keep yawning / am more tired. Possible weight gain - can't tell yet. But I feel like it's worth those things because it's helped my anxiety so much, which was becoming debilitating."

Lyssie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018

"Insomnia, dry mouth, yawning excessively because no sleep and I have no idea I can make this work."

Bella (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2018

"The first night I took it was the last because I woke up to a fire crackling noise, and feeling, in my brain or skull. Then one of the worst panic attacks I’ve ever had happened. I had insomnia. I had terribly dry mouth that I couldn’t cure with water because water made me gag and my stomach feel sick. Vision problems (everything was 10x brighter). Confusion (couldn’t even put a simple peanut butter sandwich together). Dizzy. Room was spinning. Face was numb. Heat waves. Profusely sweating. Couldn’t stop shaking. Heart pounding. Diarrhea. It was bad... I’m glad this med helps a lot of people but I’m kinda mad because my doc told me it would barely effect me. She acted like It was fine but it was one of the scariest nights of my life. I’ve heard this med can be a miracle medicine, but the doctors should also take into consideration it can also be bad. Even in small doses side effects can happen. Everyone is different."

Kitty August 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have suffered from anxiety for a very long time and I always had stigma over taking medicine for it. As a 21 year old and a college student, I wasn't living my life like I should have been. I always stressing about EVERYTHING, I didn't sleep, I cried over every little inconvenience, I could never wind down and take a nap for example, I was always agitated, had rapid heart beat, and so much more. I wasn't living, I was suffering. I finally took the decision to take Lexapro and at first; the side effects weren't pleasurable I will say that. But after a week, they started going away and I could tell I was getting better. It is now about 6 weeks in or more, I can notice a huge improvement. I'm much more calm and I am so much happier. If you are on the fence on taking this medication, I would still do it and try. It has helped me and honestly, saved my life for the better."

nat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

"I started Escitalopram a year and a half ago. I eased into it as per doctors orders and ended up at a regular dose of 20mg. My anxiety was reducing and I really thought I’d found the right medication after trying for so many years. But over time I started feeling really unwell. Bloods showed my iron & b12 levels were constantly dropping and my CRP was rising. It got to a point where my iron & b12 were almost non existent and CRP was very high, & doctors couldn’t work it out. I was on a list to have an iron transfusion but before this could happen I had a big seizure which hadn’t happened before. After the seizure I was taken off the escitalopram immediately, and to all the doctors surprise after SIX WEEKS all my levels had dramatically improved. Doctors have put it down to a rare adverse reaction to the drug. Please if you are on this medication and notice the symptoms mentioned follow it up with your GP!"

Bad reaction August 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "22 female. Diagnosed GAD for 4 years. I've been on 10mg Lexapro for about 10 weeks now. Anxiety mostly characterized by racing thoughts, over analyzing, and overthinking. The first two weeks I had increased anxiety, and nausea. I didn't feel anything until the full two months. Its not a significant change but it takes the edge off. I have more motivation, can recognize my trailing thoughts and compulsions and stop them before they spiral out of control. I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of certain situations. I feel like I have more control and that I am gaining my life back. My anxiety was focused on my relationship at the time I started (constant overanalyzing, creating problems that don't exist, worried about making mistakes) which eventually got to the point that it was effecting my work ability. I still have some anxiety which is GOOD because I want to be able to manage it on my own. I think a lot of it is the medication and my own personal work. Overall I am very satisfied"

Ray August 20, 2018

"I was terrified to take meds. I remember reading on here looking for reassurance and promised myself if these meds worked I would come back and do the same for someone else. I suffered for over 10yrs with anxiety, panic attacks, ocd, ptsd. I was so sick last year & I knew it was time to give it a try. I started with a tiny dose worked my way up to half a pill. I think because I was taking such a small dose it took a while to build up about 1.5 months. It’s been almost a year and my life is the best it’s ever been. I feel like myself. I’m back to work, I’m happy I’m not obessessing, I won’t panic so easily. These meds saved my life. I still do therapy, It’s not a magic fix I still deal with trauma and triggers but I’m not as easily set off. If you are reading this feeling terrified and don’t know what to do I was there I get it. I was so against medication. Now I see it as the greatest blessing to assist me on the road to recovery."

Frankie August 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I think it is working well at the moment but I am on kolopin also. I think it is for much for same problem lexapro 20 mg an kolopin is .05 at night. What do you think."

Dad1941 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "There’s no need to be suffering. This medication is an anxiety GAME CHANGER. I’m on 10mg a day. I work out every day have not gained an ounce. 6 months later my sex life is thriving! When you feel better, you feel sexier. I’m 47 and shocked folks are having sex issues and weight gain. Get out there and grab life!"

Paula (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm making an update ( from my 5 week post) as I'm now approaching the two month mark on Lexapro. I am on 10 mg, and I'm feeling like a happier and less nervous wreck than I was 2 months ago. I feel motivated when I wake up, I'm back to working out again, I don't cry over senseless matters anymore, and I don't get angry over the smallest matters. I feel more comfortable going out in public again and holding conversations, whereas that felt impossible before starting Lexapro. I still have work I need to do outside of just taking Lexapro and expecting it to change my life, but it's given me the motivation to help myself and not feel miserable in the process. Only con I have at this point is occasional brain fog, but I've found that keeping a consistent sleeping routine and eating healthier has helped that a lot. I hope you all feel better soon and stay encouraged that recovery is possible! You will find what works for you! Be blessed."

Starry87 August 15, 2018

"As far as antidepressants go this is the best by far!! It won't cure your anxiety but it will make it heaps easier to manage. It kicks in after 1 week of mild side effects."

TheRoss (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2018

"I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 32, was put on Xanax & that lasted few years until my body develop a tolerance to it, switch to Clonazepam, also lasted few years, was prescribed other Benzos but none worked, it’s like my body blocked them, to make it harder I developed a mild depression to go with it, after 9-Month of suffering my doctor put me on Lexapro, 10 mg a day, I remember the first day praying that my body accepts this medicine, it’s like; this is it, or I could suffer for the rest of my life. I’ve been taking 10 mg every day for the last 9 weeks, I am thankful this medicine changed my life around, I can function and socialize with my friends, getting back to being me! Give it a try, remember it takes 4-8 weeks to fully kick in. God bless!"

hdbegin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

"I was experiencing anxiety so much that I went to a neurologist. After talking with me he prescribed 10mg of lexapro! Oh my! I’ve been on it for 10 years now and it gave me my life back!! I can not describe the HUGE difference it made in the way I approach problems now as opposed to before I was on lexapro! Miracle drug for me. About 5 years ago I switched to the generic and the effects are still the same."

Annie (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

"Wow! I just went from 15 mg of this drug to 20 mgs 3 weeks ago and it kicked in after about a week. Even with regular exercise, a very healthy diet, meditation, homeopathy and different therapies including cognitive, hypnotherapy, acupuncture as well as a low stress job and lifestyle, a loving partner and happy life, I still felt awful and a constant impending sense of doom for no reason. Prior to this, I tried many many anti -depressants since age 16( I'm now 38), and none of which have helped me in this way. I have felt a massive difference in my extreme anxiety and OCD health/ hypochondria. For the first time in so long( maybe most of my life) I feel ' normal' and have hope. In other words, I am feeling calm, grounded, focused, and no obsessive thoughts. I feel more self esteem and have a better body image. I enjoy work again and am not feeling and absorbing everything around me like usual! I know we are all so different but I really hope this helps others the way it has helped me!"

Fashionista79 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

"This medication gave me my life back! I suffered for 18 months with panic attacks while driving and flying and almost daily physical muscle symptoms. After one pill I felt much better. I have been taking it now for almost 2 months, and it totally changed my life. The only side effect that I have noticed is that it makes me tired so I take it at night before bed. I wish I had started taking this months ago!"

Aurora (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety