User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I have struggled with anxiety, fears/phobias and bad thoughts creeping into my head, especially at night. Despite regular counselling and self help, I was still struggling and without sleeping well, I was having a hard time functioning. I went to my dr and he prescribed me Escitalopram. I started out on 5mg for a week, then went to 10mg. I felt extremely tired at first, at around 3pm, but I actually enjoyed it as I was relaxed for once! I take the pill first thing in the morning, with my coffee, and dont feel any side effects, ie stomachs upset, dizziness. A month in, I was starting to feel some symptoms of anxiety creep back in, so I was recommended to go to 20mg. Since then, I feel way more in control of my emotions, fears/phobias, etc. It hasn’t gone away, but it somehow feels further away, and manageable. Great experience for me."

T-bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Dawn (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "If you have Bipolar, mania or any kind of mood shifting disorder, do NOT take lexapro. It can work well for most but NOT if you have a mood disorder."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Mary May 15, 2018

"I went on Lexapro last year for mood swings and general anxiety, bad PMDD. Initially, I thought this medication was amazing, took away all of my anxiety BUT it also removes inhibitions. I came off of it after a year due to gradual weight gain but in hindsight, this medication caused me more problems than weight. It also caused in me some reckless behaviour that I now regret. Nothing that I cannot now fix and forgive myself but be careful. I was not myself on this drug and it could have cost me a lot."

Mands 22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

"Hi, I suffered from anxiety for years for no particular reason. It was very difficult for me to open up to family and friends to speak about it as I was afraid of what people would think / say / how they would look at me after. I finally picked up the courage to get some help and started with escitalopram. I started on 5mg for 7 days then the 10 mg pill daily afterwards. The first three weeks definitely took getting used to as I felt quite bad at times. After that, the meds started to help week after week I could see myself progressing. I have been on the meds for 9 months now and I can honestly say it feels so amazing to have my life back. I feel like my old self again, enjoying everyday pleasures with no more anxiety. I had fairly low libido before the meds as I was feeling bad however I am only now starting to get my old sex drive back (which is awesome :)). For me, This medication gave me my life back. Highly recommend."

James (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

"This site has got me through the most traumatising few weeks of my life. Anxiety/ intrusive thoughts leading to depression after a really bad viral infection. I’ve always had anxiety but I wasn’t aware how ill you could get or how many physical effects you could have. The instrusive thoughts terrified me beyond belief and send me to the doctors. He put me on 5mg and I’ve been on this now for nearly 5 week. I’m slowly getting my life back. Hopefully as I increase things will get better. The first 2 weeks were horrendous for me. Everything got 10x worse but I’ve started to feel better each day. Try not to lose faith in this medication because it will get bad before better. I’m still having bad days but they are getting less and less."

xmissmbx May 7, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

A.k (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

middle age (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started lexapro and on the 5th day I woke up wide awake. This has never happened to me and I felt so different. I get weirded out and got up to grab some water. On my way, I feel a cold sweat and my body goes completely paralyzed. I felt a fear I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I try to scream but my vocal cords are paralyzed. I wait for death, completely terrified. Then my ears start ringing and I slowly get all my senses back. I am able to breathe again and start to hyperventilate from the panic. I was exhausted after that. I got in to see my doctor ASAP. I fell asleep in the waiting room and I can normally barely fall asleep in my own bed. He told me it doesn't even do anything in the first week and was all a placebo effect and gets upset with me because I didn't want to continue it. I don't think there's appropriate education being placed on these towards medical professionals. I realize they can help but there seems to be complete denial about adverse effects."

Lexano May 1, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Like you, you're reaching out for hope because you're going through one of the most horrible experiences in your life. But anxiety always passes, and lexapro helps your mind heal and recover. I had bad anxiety before that turned into anxiety disorder (afraid of anxiety itself). Just know that this is your mind tricking you and you have to learn no longer to be afraid of it. Lexapro will help you break the cycle and get you out of the hole quicker. Side effects were at their peak for the first two weeks, with even sometimes worse anxiety, but each day gets better. Sexual side effects subsided as well after the first 2-3 weeks as most are psychosomatic. Just try to remember your mind wants to calm down and its only temporary. I have been through hell and made it out the other end to see the light - just give it time and patience, it will pass and Lexapro helps."

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

"This drug has helped me so much with my anxiety. I was not able to even go to work or talk to people at all. I was very depressed because of this. After being on this drug for about 3 months now I am feeling such a difference. I haven’t missed any work, I am excited to go every day, I talk to people, have made new friends, gone out with people. I would recommend this drug to anyone who is experiencing severe anxiety that is accompanied with nausea and vomiting. I have no experienced any anxiety symptoms for about a month now. No side effects from this drug either."

Laurio (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

"I started taking escitalopram initially with 5mg/day with 20 mg propranolol (INDERAL). -experienced an intense panic attack after five hours of taking medication on day 1. -inability to achieve orgasms and delayed ejaculation. -short term memory affected. dose after a month: lexapro 10 mg/day and 40 mg inderal/day. -I yawned a lot. -I also experienced pulsating and blurry vision and also randomly, a "small rainbow dot" in the center. -front-left side headache (occasional) -Weird dreams and poor short-term memory. I forget things. -Feel fatigued all the time. -The anorgasmia and delayed ejaculation has gone -Social anxiety, significantly reduced. I remain myself among people, I can now easily interact with which initially I couldn't even imagine to interact with. I have developed a sense of gratitude for people around. My life is getting better."

NAM April 22, 2018

"After suffering from anxiety for 2 years I finally decided to actually take medication. I was actually very scared of trying drugs for my anxiety because of side effects and being a wife, mother of two and full time employee. I always said that I couldn’t afford having bad effects from meds. I didn’t have time for that . It got to the point that my chest started hurting my heart started pounding and I was even having digestive issues I wasn’t even sleeping at night because of my anxiety. I started this drug about 1 month and a 1/2 ago. I started at 10mg and the last two weeks I’ve been on 20mg and honestly it’s done wonders I still get nervous at times but it’s a normal nervous in actual times when I’m supposed to be not all day worrying like before. My chest pains stopped I’m not going to lie sometimes I do wake up at night for like and hour but I fall back asleep and I honestly feel so happy. My kids and husband has noticed I’m much more focused and relaxed."

Leah April 15, 2018

"I have been suffering from anxiety my whole life. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even think I had an anxiety issue but then I started to notice that I was incredibly moody, easily irritated, would blow up over small things, & people had no problem telling me this. It was so embarrassing that I started spending more time at home alone. Every weekend I would spend by myself & avoid social situations like the Black Plague. I even started avoiding social situations at work & I do marketing! It got to a point where I needed help so I spoke to my PCP & he started me on 10mg. It’s only been 1 week & everyone notices a difference in me already. More steady mood, I feel more calm, & my mind doesn’t race anymore. For the first time in my life I’m actually living in the here & now. I honestly haven’t noticed any side effects. My physician told me to take it in the evening to help with the side effects so perhaps that’s why I haven’t noticed much. I actually sleep like a baby!"

Kare Bear April 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on escitalopram for about 12 weeks now. I was a "normal" person my whole entire 20 years of life, and when anxiety hit me out of absolutely nowhere. I had severe derealization symptoms that basically drove my anxiety through the roof. All of a sudden, I was a completely different person; once an outgoing, lively, fearless girl to someone who couldn't even look up. Because of this I spiralled into a horrible depression. I think one of the scariest feelings was I would panic and a wave of helplessness would just hit me and I felt like my whole world was falling apart. After taking lexapro, I started to very gradually feel better. It was never like an on and off switch but as the weeks went by, I just slowly started feeling better/mood lift/less tense/etc. Now, I feel great and like myself again and am doing more for myself in the past few weeks than I have the past few years. Give it a shot, it will be rough in the beginning like everybody says, but it will be worth it."

jay jay April 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I unfortunately was one of those people who it took 4-5 weeks to see any benefit from Lexapro, but once it kicked it, it was life changing. I went from debilitating anxiety to where I couldn't even leave my house to finally feeling like the "old" me again. It was a slow transition, nothing black-and-white, but I can look back and see how the med slowly started to work. Side effects lasted a couple weeks and included headaches, endless fatigue, and I have to be careful what I eat because I have gained about 5 lbs., but I'd take those side effects over living in a constant dream-like state from anxiety. Started on 10 mg and am now on 15 mg. Give it a shot!"

anxiousity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2018

"Hey I started this drug 3 weeks ago and noticed a difference already after one week. It is kind of breathtaking how "normal" I feel. I wasn't able to go to school, work, meetings, or hang out with friends for a while because my anxiety was so overwhelming and I was plagued by constant self doubt and other fears that I couldn't even think straight. I was so anxious that it was hard to breath sometimes and I had a lot of digestive problems, too. I've been able to do these things again with escitalopram. I still feel some nervousness beforehand, but it is actually manageable unlike before, and I think it's important and healthy to still feel these nerves sometimes! Although I have been waking up in the middle of the night for maybe an hour or two most nights. I hope that will subsidy but so far it is worth it because of how good the drug works otherwise."

nikkibo (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

"I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder and PMDD for years until I finally started taking Cipralex 5mg 3 years ago. It changed my life, I feel normal again! I was extremely hesitant to start a medication but after about a week on it I had wished I started years ago. Overall I am much more relaxed and sleep much better, I would recommend giving it a try if anxiety is starting to take over your life. I have not had any side effects other than enlarged pupils for the first few weeks. No weight gain or any other side effects that were listed. It's worth a try."

Kelly (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2018

"Tried 5 mg of this for 5 days. Felt terrible but was told to stick it out. The 6th day I took 10mg. Oh my goodness I had severe agitation I was up at the hospital scratching my eyes out and pulling my hair out. Then I was doing laps around the waiting room. I got admitted straight away. They don't believe this drug can cause this but It 100% was. Back to valium for me."

Ryan April 2, 2018

"My doctor prescribed 5mg as I had been suffering from stress and anxiety attacks for a couple months. I have never taken any prescription medications for anxiety before and so was obviously very nervous. Took my first dose yesterday around 3 pm and after two hours felt extreme weakness and drowsiness. My hands were shaking as well at times. I took a nap and the weakness kept coming and going in waves. It was really bad to the point that at times I was thinking if I would faint and have to be taken to the ER. The last time I felt the weakness was this morning around 12 and have been better since (probably cause it's leaving my system). I read about people having side effects but nothing like the one I was having. I'm supposed to start my period in a couple of days and so was wondering if that contributed to the weakness as well. Might give it another try in a couple weeks, but for now I'm not taking it for sure."

Ai (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

"When I first started on 10mg a month ago, I felt GREAT for the first 2 and a half weeks. The last couple days I feel ok but not as good. I'm thinking I just need to bump up my dose. I wanna go to 20mg but I also wanna wait to see my doctor April 5th. The last few days I have been waking up at like 6am with some anxiety. I just wanna feel like I first did when I started this drug cause I felt like myself and was outgoing and started doing things I love to do again. Anyone have any insight on my situation? I just want some reassurance things will get better if I bump up my dose. I never really had any side effects when I started the 10mg, so I'm not worried about that. "

MaryEllen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2018

"I was a fully functioning person with no anxiety/depression beforehand. However, anxiety hit me out of nowhere and I suffered chronic anxiety that had me feeling anxious throughout the whole day. My anxiety manifested in my derealization symptoms and it fuelled my depression to the point where it was unbearable and I needed help! I couldn’t believe this was happening to me, I had no idea what was happening to me! I was put on lexapro 10mg and it is currently my 8th week on it. I feel a lot better; I feel like myself again. The first few weeks were a little brutal, and the next few weeks after I had my handful of bad days/moments, but it DOES get better. Feeling back to normal seems impossible until you start feeling it, and I promise you it is possible. I think it took me until the 6th week to really feel a lot better and like myself again."

There is hope (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

"I am 64 & used to have a beautiful facial complexion until I started taking generic LEXAPRO mid-2016. I did notice a calming effect after about 3 weeks. A few months later though, my face erupted with large, red, & VERY PAINFUL bumps that "wept" a clear fluid. Healing took forever & created very UGLY SCABBING. I stopped wearing make-up & went for acne prevention facials, but the breakouts continued. After dealing with my "teenager" face for over 2 years, I started 2018 by weaning off the drug. 2 months later, my face is CLEARING UP!! Look on line for Lexapro & Acne. It is OBVIOUS that this acne-like condition is a MAJOR SIDE EFFECT---and yet, THERE ISN'T EVEN A MENTION OF IT BEING A POSSIBILITY on the Lexapro consumer information page!! I QUESTION THE VALIDITY of the manufacturer's study of this drug, & its approval. It is very clear that the study was too short to determine long term side effects."

Karie March 24, 2018