User Reviews for Escitalopram systemic

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"My anxiety stemmed from a traumatic brain injury 4 years ago. I had a relapse in symptoms a few months ago and my anxiety was out of control and debilitating. I started Lexapro out of desperation (5 mg 1st week then 10 mg). The side effects for 4 weeks were horrible: extreme fatigue, insomnia and increased anxiety. For someone who already has severe anxiety this was terrifying! What got me through was reading these reviews (only the positive ones) and taking Ativan .5 mg daily for 3 weeks to help me sleep. I started improving by 4 weeks and felt much better by 6 weeks. I started living my life again. It was completely worth it to stick out the awful 1st month. Get the help you need and starting living again!"

Koukla (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

"I started on 10mg of this medication for anxiety and depression 6 weeks ago. It has helped but still feeling a bit depressed. The doctor told me to increase to 15mg. Just wondering how that will go with the start up side effects and whether they will be repeated."

Poppy January 16, 2019

"I took a while ago for approximately 3 months. The reason I stopped was I was experiencing some gastrointestinal bleeding. SSRI's do effect blood clotting and so I stopped the medication and this resolved. I have restarted this med because it was helpful and hopefully wont have same issue. Currently on day 9. For me it is a very mild SSRI and much more tolerable than the other SSRI's. The side effects for me was insomnia which was bad for first 3 nights but then improves and also some mildly elevated anxiety for first week. It helps quickly with OCD thoughts and works works for depression/anxiety within a couple of weeks. For me this is a much easier med to get on with than most SSRI's. 10mg. Give it a try - you will know if its right for you."

S citalorpam (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2019

"I am 38 years old and started taking this medication for depression, anxiety, and PMDD (severe PMS). My symptoms for all of these started to get out of hand for over a year. I was unable to travel or engage in social situations. At its worst I was unable to leave my house to take my kids to school or go to the grocery store. The first 3 weeks on the medication was BRUTAL! I felt like I was plugged into a light socket and was up in the night with panic attacks for weeks. Then, finally I could tell that it was starting to kick in. I am now 2.5 months and up to 15 mg daily. This medication has drastically improved my quality of life. I am no longer fearful of experiences, have loads of energy because of the loss of the depression, and am motivated to get help and move forward. My biggest recommendation to taking the meds is to stick with it. They are NOT FUN in the beginning, however once you reach the therapeutic level it is awesome!! 100% has changed my life!"

ellenlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Been on it for three years and switching to Effexor. I still felt anxious for no reason, felt down a lot and had panic attacks. I hope this new medication works better for me."

Review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2019

"Amazing medication for anyone that is suffering with anxiety. I was always against medication but my anxiety got so bad I needed to try it, best decision I ever made. It took 4 weeks to start working and about 2-3 months before I felt fully back to myself. The only side effects I experienced was tiredness for the first week and slight nausea for the first 3 days."

And (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Took it for three years and noticed no difference. Still felt pretty down and had panic attacks. Had diarrhea a lot too. Finally switched to effexor and hope that will be a positive experience."

Lexapro review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2019

"I wanted to write a review as these reviews kept me going in the first horrible first weeks of taking Escitalopram. I had been suffering with anxiety for nearly a year but managed to get by and it was bearable. All of a sudden I wasn’t sleeping a wink at night, having panic attacks 24/7 and thought I was going crazy! The lack of sleep made me depressed. Was put on Escitalopram and clonazipam to cover the initial side effects for two weeks. The first few weeks were real tough, started on 5mg and after a week up to 10mg. I had increased anxiety, extreme tiredness, could sleep all day, nausea and diarrhoea, terrible night sweats and headaches. Took 4 weeks to start working for me. And 3 weeks for the side effects to subside. Stick with it! All the side effects go away after time. No longer anxious, sleeping better and feeling myself again. It’s amazing!"

Lupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Before starting Lexapro, I was a complete mess. GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) had completely taken over my life. I could barely go outside without having an anxiety attack. I started Lexapro 5 mg two years ago and my life completely changed. It took about 2 weeks for me to feel a difference, and I was blown away by how different my life was. I was going to concerts, traveling, doing things I never thought I would be able to do with my level of anxiety. I switched off Lexapro to try a new drug recently to see if it would work better, but it made my anxiety worse than ever. Thankfully I started Lexapro again last week and I already feel so much better. This drug honestly saved my life and even though everyone is different, I would completely recommend trying it if you have GAD. The side effects (for me) were mild, only some insomnia and a little dizziness, so I would say if your starting it to wait a week or so, and you’ll feel a difference. I hope my review helps!"

Sb144 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2019

"39yo female on 5mg escitalopram for 7 wks. First 5 days were the worst - headaches, dizziness, added anxiety & slight nausea. Prior to taking, was losing weight & afraid I would gain. Have lost weight so it seems to not be interfering with my weight loss journey. From day 6 until the start of wk 4, dealt with bad insomnia but took 0.5mg Xanax to help me sleep. After 4 weeks, felt like a brand new person & my worry was gone. It was amazing. About to start my 8th wk & the insomnia is still slightly there but I'm not taking the Xanax every night, just changed my bedtime routine & taking 5mg of melatonin & it's been helping. The only other side effect I've noticed has been the time it takes me to orgasm. It's not as if I have lost my libido but it seems as though it takes me a bit longer. My dr prepared me for all side effects & told me I should stick through it for at least 4 wks but best if I stay on it though 6 wks. Hope this information is helpful to others & I recommend to stick it out."

WatchWynnonaEarp (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffer from panic attacks, partial agoraphobia, the whole pack of anxiety. The first therapy I tried was Stablon, my experience was not positive with this drug. Yesterday I took only a quarter of Lexapro, that's my doctor's suggestion. I thought it was impossible to feel such a low dose so I did not feel any fear, actually I heard very good reviews for Lexapro. After an hour I felt a bit tired, as if everything slowed me down for a second and it took hours. I was not scared because it was not very scary but a pretty uncomfortable. I was lying on the bed and got a terribly dizzy, literally like I was on a boat, my room swinging right and left and all the time I had the feeling that I would fall because the dizziness became unmanageable. I can not lower my head, everything turns. I had headaches all day, but it's bearable. I feel slow to lose coordination and I do not want to walk too much, besides having terribly strong muscular pain, mostly in my legs and back."

Bruna000 December 29, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started Lexapro 5 weeks ago for anxiety and panic disorder I started with the 5mg and 2 weeks ago my doctor prescribed me the 10mg , in November of this year I get sick with anxiety that on Thanksgiving day I was screaming and crying because of the anxiety and I though it was the end of my life. I couldn't go out. I thought I was going to lose my mind and my life. Then I when to see the doctor the day after Thanksgiving and she prescribed me Lexapro 5 mg the first week. I feel so sick (light headed nauseous anxious etc) but I read the reviews and everyone says that is normal and to stay strong and wait so I kept taking it. On second week I was able to eat and sometimes go out. Then on 3 week the panic attacks were almost gone. On the 4th week I was able to have at least a descent Christmas day with my kids and that make me so happy. I am on week 5 and I am able to go out a little more. So if you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks I highly recommend this med and please don't give up to soon it takes up to 5 weeks to work"

Yesi December 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro for about two and a half weeks for OCD and anxiety. I have noticed me being calm on the outside and around everyone I talk to says I seem not so anxious. But inside its like I am exploding like something went off - my OCD is awful I can't tell you how many times I have washed my hands and my anxiety is the worst it has been in awhile. I don't know if it is because for maybe 5 years I have pushing my OCD and anxiety aside in my mind and not letting it bother me mentally but I was more anxious with my actions and words. I didn't have time to be OCD with working 12 hour shifts and being a full time student online and a mother. But now college has a two week break for Christmas and I am in the process of moving so I have been out of work for about a couple weeks. And I am a mess inside but doing great on the outside. I am trying to hang in there for the full 6 to 8 weeks. I just don't know if this is normal. But I fell like I am just screaming on the inside."

Panicky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

"My psychologist diagnosed me with OCD (I've suffered from skin picking the last 15 years) and anxiety disorder, and suggested that I could try escitalopram in a long term treatment. I went to the doctor and gave me 5 mg of escitalopram for 5 days, then 10 mg the next 5 days and then reaching the dose of 20 mg. I couldn't handle it, not even for three days. I had chills, a feeling of pressure in my chest, my anxiety went to hell, pupils dilated, racing thoughts. She told me to take alprazolam or clonazepam for a few days. I took alprazolam at night at the third day and decided I didn't want to go through that hell. Escitalopram even at that terrible low dose made me feel worse than ever, even close to a panic attack. On the next appointment she told me that I was very sensitive to medication and that I shouldn't take it never again. It was kind of a serotonin syndrome."

lindalee (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

"Been taking for 2 months I started with 5 mg no side effects then went up to 10 mg after 1 week felt close to panic on day 4. Next day started noticing to feel better. After 2 weeks all side effects disappeared I had mild nausea for two days and fatigue for 1 week. Now on week 6 of 10 mg and feel the best I ever have whilst dealing with stressful situations. I can look people in eye without blushing too! I used to read this thread constantly before taking and now I realise it isn’t scary I’ve been dealing with anxiety most of my life and now I feel I can chase my dreams and that negative voice in my head is no longer holding me back."

Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2018

"I didn’t want to live, it’s hard to say that without sounding completely dramatic but that’s the best way to put it.. I would have messed up thought and would over think everything to a point of obsession which was soo tiring. I was so close to taking away my own life - just so the pain would gone/over. I confronted my family and they took me to go see a GP and this med completely changed my life for the best and I wish my happiness for everyone that felt it are feeling this pain"

Paiiiiggy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My experience w/Lexapro was so traumatizing I had to share. I suffer from GAD(mostly Social Anxiety) & decided to seek help when my SA got to its worst point. The dose for this med is 10mg/20mg daily depending on your condition. Being my first SSRI I have ever tried, I started at 5mg dose: 3 hrs after my first dose, I felt disassociated from reality & completely numb mentally/physically. Dilated pupils. Thought I was going to DIE in my sleep that night: I was SHAKEN AWAKE twice during the night from brain zaps,short seizures,shaking. Electric shock in my brain that jolted through my entire body. Absolutely TERRIFYING...& this is from ONE 5mg DOSE!! The following days I had the worst dry mouth/nausea/constipation/insomnia. So numb & disconnected, I started fantasizing about bleeding out. By day 5 I started to get double vision/blurry/shaky eyes. TLDR; STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!! BET I WOULD'VE DIED IF I TOOK MORE!!!!"

bassbaby (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have suffering with Severe OCD, it had severely impacted almost every single aspect of my life which lead to severe anxiety that was utterly crippling, social anxiety, panic disorder and mild depression. I tried numerous types of medication, even the BIG ONE - Anafranil, I remained on this medication for several months on a high dosage, it assisted with the OCD (not so much with Anxiety) however the side effects were utterly terrible so decided to give it up. My psychiatrist suggested Lexapro, began on 5mg and slowly work my way up to 30mg (currently on this dosage for the last three months). Pros: Anxiety has GREATLY REDUCED, very few panic attacks, hasn't stopped the thoughts however they have become much easier to brush off, I am able to think more rationally, and I feel somewhat more hopeful and optimistic. Cons: Constantly tired, extremely sleepy (I could sleep all day if I wanted to), I feel somewhat emotionally numb.""

Ahmed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

"On 3rd day of taking Escitalopram (lexapro). Have been on sertraline(zoloft) for 2 yrs but gained nearly 20lb in weight. My weight was 9 stone before starting and I'm not at 10 stone 7!! So I asked the doctor to change me onto something similar but less likely of weight gain. Escitalopram is what he's changed me to. He advised that I abruptly stopped my 100 mg of sertraline and go straight onto Escitalopram 10mg the following day. I've not seemed to have any withdrawals from my old medication yet but the last 2 days I have felt weird from around 4pm. Like I'm not connected to my body, fidgeting, agitated, anxious, in fight or flight mode. But it's weird because its been at exactly the same time yesterday and today that I've felt this. Not sure if this is withdrawals or its my new medication wearing off as I take it on a morning?! Also, has anyone moved from sertraline onto Escitalopram and did it still cause weight gain or did you lose any?"

SarF December 15, 2018

"I take lexam 20mg for anxiety. I previously suffered from hyperhydrosis and hyper tension as well which was related to my social anxiety from the age of 12. After starting it I experienced mild sleep disruption and occasional euphoria. Lexam has changed my life for the better after 5 months of use I can enjoy a social conversation, my sweating has dropped by 2/3rds and I my sleeping habits have returned to normal. My wife says I am a new person! And I truly am grateful for reaching out."

Johndoes (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2018

"My doctor prescribed this medication for me to treat my Anxiety. I took my first pill of 10mg at night, in the morning, I had severe blurry vision, loss of appetite, muscle numbness, nausea, and headache. I stopped taking it will go for Anxiety Herbs, Yoga and and natural methods."

Yana (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2018

"I'm 23 & I have anxiety, panic disorder, OCD and depression. Was put on Zoloft a couple years ago, had a bad experience and stopped it after 3 days of use. Fast forward to a couple months ago, my anxiety is out of control and physical symptoms are so crippling, that I couldn’t function properly and live my life. I couldn’t even get out of bed and take care of my 2 year old son. I was so against taking meds after my experience with Zoloft, but I had no other choice. Couldn’t live the way I was living. Tried out 5mg Escitalopram with 0.5 mg clonazapam for 2 weeks to help with sleep. No side effects at all. Once I stopped clonazapam, felt every single side effect you can think of - I suffered. Upped my dose to 10 mg after 3 weeks. And once I hit the 4 week mark, every side effect went away and I feel so amazing! So happy I stuck it out."

Hawaiigirl707 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started first on 2.5 mg, after 1 month 5 mg and now I taking 10 mg. It the best medication, had couple days aide effect (teeth pain) you need time for it to work and it does work.It's really cool for anxiety and depression plus body discomfort, just do the dose increases slowly and it works."

fox (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My doctor put me on lexapro 10mg for anxiety and occasional panic attacks. After the first day, and I mean ONE 10mg pill I had dilated pupils, vision changes- everything I looked at seemed like it would zoom in and out, made my anxiety worse, and I had crying spells where I would cry and cry for no reason"

Chicha (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

"Great drug"

Sydneykm (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety