User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"This stuff helps. In one month I saw an improvement. Makes my outlook positive and removed the palpitations and fear I had."

Arisen89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm using this drug from 5 years now I have stopped as I feel good but after 5 days I feel anger and sadness . Is this due to this medicine ? I have restarted one dose but feel wore pls advice"

Khany August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 4 of using this Med- I first I noticed I was very tired and fatigue - I experienced short term memory loss - I also couldn't stay focused in on a conversation.. Not for me"

Joey Klein (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "If I were to just review this drug from an anxiety/fear of social interaction standpoint, I would say that Lexapro is awesome. Lexapro has stopped me from having tremors every time someone talked to me out of the blue, and I do not mind being in the spotlight anymore during classes. For (group) presentations, I still feel physical symptoms and my tremor building up, but not nearly as much as I did without Lexapro. My biggest fear happens to be giving presentations and this is what I am taking it for primarily. I think if I were to do a standalone presentation, I would still have A LOT of difficulty focusing on the topic at hand but not because of anxiety. This drug makes it very hard for me to focus in school. Hope to go down to 5mg from 10"

Deeeee August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has made a massive difference in my moods. I suffer from anxiety and depression. The first few weeks were tough with some side affects. Nausea, dry mouth, trouble sleeping, hard to urinate. However these all went away and I feel great. Started at 5mg for 1 week and have been on 10mg now for almost 2 months. It helps to see things clearly and I'm not regretting my decision to start this medication."

Goodmoodnow August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "The start of their medication was horrible I am not going to sugar coat it for you. I was tired, had yawns, and brain zaps. I felt sick and nausea all the time. It was like the worst hangover all the time. After about 3 weeks I increased my dose from 10mg to 15mg. Again a lot of side effects. I felt terrible. Now 3 years later I am on 30mg and I don't have anxiety anymore. It took about 6 months for my body to adjust and settle down. I promise you it gets better. Stay with it, like everyone else says it works. It gets better. I can live my life now, I can be a parent, I graduated, I had another child. I'll be in this forever if I have to!"

EmmaMumVegan August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine did wonders for me.."

Bindu1234 August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had bad anxiety for a few months because of university. I was always afraid of failing (I study statistics). It had a huge negative impact on the quality of my life. I often cried, I had no appetite anymore and sometimes I even threw up. Then I started taking 5mg of Escitalopram for two to three months. After that I took 10 mg.I don't remember when the positive effects started kicking in exactly. But it took at least 6 weeks. By now (I started taking it February, now it is August) I don't have any anxiety anymore. At first my libido decreased significantly. I feel like this got better, but I am not sure. I gained weighed, but not because of the drug directly, but because I was able to eat again normally."

yxciumpawec August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 10 mg of escitalopram for almost a year. Some days I still experience nausea. It was very bad during the first few weeks and then it stopped. But in the last few months I started experiencing nausea throughout the day again. Anyone else still have nausea from this drug after being on it for awhile?"

Avapearl August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took this a few years ago for anxiety, panic, OCD, and mild agoraphobia and claustrophobia. It helped tremendously. I don't recall any side effects besides hands being shaky and a little more forgetful. I had to stop when I was trying to become pregnant and I'm not sure if it was the weaning off this or the switching to Zoloft but that process wasn't too fun. Not awful though. Still prefer over Zoloft!"

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medicine for my anxiety. I took it the same day I was prescribed it. For an hour after taking it my anxiety went away and my head felt cleared up! But an hour after that (2 hours after taking the medication) my anxiety hit me hard and my legs completely locked up! I was unable to move from the waist down for about 45 minutes! I felt no relief for my anxiety. My doctor took me off of it."

Taterbug99 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"4 weeks on it. Started with 5 mg, then 10, 15, and first day on 20 mg today. Feel like rubbish. Rate 5 because I believe I will feel better."

yoghurt345 August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro (which is called Cipralex here in Canada) was what they put me on when I first became extremely anxious (after trying talk therapy and Ativan when needed). It KO'd my anxiety extremely well (alongside continued therapy). Not only my acute anxiety that was causing panic attacks and made me unable to leave the house was handled, but the social anxiety I've lived with all my life. However, it caused me to gain a significant amount of weight, my emotions were somewhat blunted, and for the first few months I was on it, I would get quite sleepy in the morning. It did stop working for me after about 2.5 years, but as short-term anxiety treatment it served me well."

Sjagauwbsksuvsk (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"One dose and anxiety was practically gone! So glad. Feel like I can think rationally again. Started at 10 mg. Didn't really have any adverse reaction. Just all good. I take it at bedtime, maybe that makes a difference with side effects."

Nhoo1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medicine for 5 weeks . It's been a bit of an adjustment but now that it has kicked in I feel great. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I started out at 5mg then went to 7.5 and now I am at 10mg which seems to be the best dose for me. The first 1-2 weeks was the hardest. Loss of appetite and increased anxiety. Glad I gave it a few weeks to work because now I feel great."

Lhas1115 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's only been 4 days... But wow! What a change! I cannot remember the last time I had this much energy. I actually WANT to get out of bed in the morning. I WANT to hang out with my friends. I feel... Happy and positive. I feel like it has been many many years since I've felt this way. So far I haven't had any negative side effects aside from the first two days with stomach upset. Will report back in 6 weeks or so when it will be in full effect!"

Meagan8989 July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Follow up on review posted over a year ago: I have just successfully quit Lexapro with a very slow 6 month taper. I took 10-15 mg for panic for one year, then started taper. Wanted to advise to taper ON this med as well as off! My Dr. had me jump right on at 10 mg and the first 3 weeks of adjustment was horrible...by contrast my taper off was a breeze because it was very gradual. Lexapro worked for me and I would take it again if ever necessary!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi guys i would like to share my experience with you , I'm 26 years old and this is my 3rd week on escitalopram 10mg, 3 days ago I started feeling annoying symptoms: 1- a lot of gas 2- stomach bloating 3-stomach feels full Is this normal? Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with me ."

Jad lebanon (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Anxiety lifer here. My demon has gotten cruel in the past few years by manifesting itself in severe premature ventricular contraction (PVC's) every time I start to leave the house or get in a slightly stressful situation. After a massive panic attack on a flight home from London to DC, I decided I had enough. I told my GP I want to go back on Lexapro. Like every other time, Lexapro works almost immediately for me - my PVC's and agoraphobia have muted drastically on only 5mg a day! Yes there is slight weight gain and potential sexual side effects but I'll take those over the other stuff any day. It's cliche but I do feel like I have my life back. I even ventured out for a run around the city tonight with zero PVC's. Sucks being on a drug but I'm ok with it today."

CorbettTheFirst June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am on month 2 of starting Lexapro. I was on Celexa for 4 years top dose and the benefits were declining for me so my physician prescribed 20 MG of Lexapro to start with. Initially I had no side effects the first month. Now am finding that I have been having night sweats, strange vivid dreams and all of a sudden bad acne on my face and neck that I never really had before other than the occasional PMS breakout. My energy level has been wonderful as I was really starting to feel exhausted all the time for no reason while on Celexa and my attention span had dramatically increased since starting Lexapro as I used to have trouble keeping attention."

Orrwhat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on lexapro 3 weeks now. I use to wake up every morning angry, argue with everyone, not talk to anyneo and generally be an introvert.The waking up angry has stopped, I crave being around people now. I started these for 2 weeks before, came off then then went back on them due to stress and arguing with my boyfriend. I'm interested in applying for jobs and getting my drive back so I'll see after 2 months.N o weight gain and all my negative thinking is gone"

MarySue19782 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017