User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I thought Lexapro wasn't going to help my anxiety but after about 3 weeks it made a huge difference. I feel like I'm living again!"

SweetLuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am 23 and have had extreme anxiety/panic since around 20. I am super sensitive to meds/ side effects. I have tried so many AD and none have worked. Recently I have tried Remeron but had to switch due to drowsiness- I have hypersomnia. Lexapro by far has taken away my worrying mind more than anything which is amazing. The first month was pretty horrid besides that though. Constant nausea, yawning, worsened anxiety at first, headaches. I still have some nausea and now I have noticed extreme drowsiness again. I really love how it helps my anxiety, but (like always) the side effects really bother me. Try it out, get thru the 1st month. If you don't have bad side effects its the best anxiety med I have ever had. Good luck!"

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started getting anxiety my first year of college. I had previously had mild anxiety, but it was not as debilitating. I was constantly worrying what others thought about me and had obsessive thoughts. I started on 10mg of lexapro and it completely changed my outlook on life. I did not realize how fun life could be before I lived it without the looming cloud of anxiety. It also helped tremendously with anxiety surrounding the intrusive thoughts. Some things that WORSENED my anxiety while on lexapro were birth control pills (hormone imbalance worsens anxiety) and hard alcohol. I take 1/2 tsp inositol powder (a type of vitamin) and probiotics that seem to help my anxiety and depression in addition to the lexapro."

hibiscusgirl August 23, 2016

"Well after 4 weeks I feel great. 46 yrs old suffered from Anxiety all my life and just had enough of living in flight or fight mode. I was very anxious about taking any medication, reading all the reviews prior Not sure if that helped. I didn't want to just rely on a drug but make some life style changes at the same time . So I went to the docs and asked to be reffered to a councillor. This was very beneficial as I was determined to get some tools to help with underlying issues. Lastly started moderate excersize. All this helped but like others I can say around 4 weeks, I fealt a big difference kick in. Dealing with day to day challenges , I feel just more in control and don't get the physical stress triggers. I hope the above has helped"

Kev46 August 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Only took 2.0 mg first time & 2.0 mg in evening. So 4mg altogether daily. Instant relief upon first dose. Immediate. Gave me headache first dose for about 3 hours but after that all good for 3 days. On 4th day got another headache in evening for few hours. Last night took it at about 10pm, got to sleep but woke up at 4am couldn't get bk to sleep til 7am. Gives u vivid dreams that feel real. I wouldn't recommend starting with any more than 2.5mg or 4mg max split in two doses at least 8-10-12 hrs apart. 2.0mg each dose max. I'm thinking of making my evening dose just 1mg or bc it's much stronger and more of an upper than celexa. Does makes u feel tired but the anxiety is gone, less hypersensitive but can be too 'high' agitating."

15fgybniikmoolgfdc (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm in my early 30's and never had a problem with depression or anxiety until I lost my mother to cancer 18 months ago. I fell into a depression after that and my doctor prescribed me generic lexapro for short term depression ( as it has never been an issue). I noticed within 2 weeks that I felt better...I had more energy, etc.. Not liking the idea of being on meds, I weaned off it after 6 months.. I still had withdrawal symptoms (electric shock feeling). Well after that my husband left me and that combined with the loss of my mother was too much to bear. I was miserable. I only left the house to go to work and it was difficult to pull myself out of bed. As soon as I got home I would throw on pj's and just lay on the couch. PAGE 1 of 2"

Anonygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

"Positive"

Yaeirr1964 August 16, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had exaustion, stress and anxiety for a few months now and recently the anxiety got worse and for the first time in my life I had a panic attack twice in one day. I went to hospital and the doc prescribed the meds but I was afraid to start taking them. I also saw a therapist who also thought I could get past this without meds. After I had a bad panick attack at night I decided to start taking them..Its been 3 days and I have hardly slept and have nausea especially in the evenings and at night..Im feeling less anxious but I really need to sleep because I have to go back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this gets better because my doc said she is only putting me on these for 2 weeks then we will review and see if I can go off them"

MMKGC August 10, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had panic attacks for years after trying many other a it depressants that made this worse Lexapro was my magic pill I have had a 90% reduction in acute panic disorder and general anxiety, with this drug I'm normal person again and I have my life back. I'm my opinion this is a blockbuster drug and I'm so thankful to the chemist that created it. Thank you for giving me my life back! <3"

Jesse S. August 4, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

"I started taking this med for anxiety a few weeks ago. I had a few side effects like nausea and headaches and I wasn't sure if it was doing anything. I talked to my doc and he added xanax for 10 days to jump start the Lexapro. It has helped a lot. What mostly helped with my side effects was taking the meds late evening. Now i have no side effects and feel great."

TVC July 24, 2016

"Excellent results--very calming effect"

Busternuckles July 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

"I started it to treat depression from life circumstances and anxiety, specifically health-related anxiety ("hypochondria") and it's turned my life around. Yes there have been side effects, but ones I can live with for now. At first I felt tremendously tired, that lasted about a week. It happened again when I upped my dose due to being depressed over the winter months. Sexual side effects happened in the beginning but went away. The tiredness went away. I'm so much more normal now. I went from being a total wreck and thinking I was dying every day/crying about everything to functioning normally again. The only side effect that still bothers me is a feeling of dizzyness or lightheaded and almost "not being there" sometimes, forgetfulness."

betterthanbefore July 19, 2016

"Been taking these meds for 2 weeks now. I was diagnosed with mild aspergers syndrome as a very small child and have had problems with anxiety & my overall mental health for most of my life. Just recently, I started to have panic attacks (scariest thing ever, I thought I was dying). So while I'm waiting to see a shrink, my GP prescribed me an antideppressant. It has significantly decreased my anxiety & sadness. It is also excellent as a pain-killer (I have ankylosing spondylitis/arthritis too). Worked far better then any NSAID I have taken. Side effects are harsh though. I felt tipsy & nauseous the first time I took it. Diarrhea. Nightmares. Severe restlessness. Racing thoughts. High sex drive that negatively interferes with day to day life."

isitnaptimeyet (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"I have never taken an anti-depresent/anti anxiety med before. My doc started me out with 5mg a day for a week and then 10mg a day after that. The first day I took it after about 30 minutes my mouth got extremely dry. After about an hour, I got a slight feeling of dizziness mixed with fatigue, but it wasn't horrible. The first week was the same thing, dry mouth and slight dizziness. Currently I feel fine, the only other thing I can say I have noticed over the past couple days is odd dreams, I woke up in tears from a dream and thats never happened before. The only other thing is mild night sweats. Other than that I am enjoying this med and it has been working for me, but I feel like I may need to up my dose slightly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"First let me say I am super sensitive to all medications, I tried zoloft, efflexor, prozac, paxil, wellbutrin, and some others and could not tolerate them. I started on Celexa which I only had short nausea episodes. My anxiety and depression was better but I still felt a little foggy. (Started at 1/4 of 20mg upto 1/2 of 20mg) . My doctor switched me right over to lexapro (1/4 pill of 10mg), same except there is one less molecule taken out I did this for about 2 weeks,then I went up to 1/2 of 10mg(5mg) other than nausea for a short time the first day I felt okay. As the days went on it has been better and better. I also take Xanax .25mg but find that I rarely need it anymore. Start with baby doses, it was super easy for me! Best of luck"

LisaC1014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have only been taking Lexapro a few days, but I can tell a bit of improvement, but as of now I still get paranoid or to say anxious which makes me exhausted. And I'm not much on going around people a lot, just one on one conversations with a friend or relative. Hoping and praying it works like a lot of post here which are positive. Hoping to gain weight, for I'm at 113pds....when I was 130, Yea lost quite a bit of weight...the lexapro im hoping will give me a better appetite which I've read it does. This is an update on day 6, I slept full 8 hours and that was with getting off to sleep with help of xanax. But really feel better and have some energy and some of the worry is gone...and hoping to get better. Going to keep taking it."

robertestokley July 6, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro to treat general anxiety, which it barely impacted, and since starting it 4 weeks ago I've become severely depressed and spend all day contemplating suicide. I don't know if it's entirely the medicine's fault, or if it even had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't helped me with anything, and I can't find anything online about it actually worsening depression instead of treating it."

Guy18 June 29, 2016

"Have had anxiety for a few years but the last couple months it started taking over my life, couldnt go shopping cause id have a panic attack at the counter.My work life become unbearable, to the point i wouldnt go to work.So i started drinking to help me and it did at first. But the more i drank the more out of control my life become,Was like watching a slow moving car crash an i couldnt do anything.thats when i knew i needed help. Have been on 10ml escitalopram for 4 days now and i feel great woke this morning feeling like a cloud has been lifted, my anxiety lvl is 5 from a 10. So this drug might not be a miracle drug but its helping me live just that little bit better"

jono nz June 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexpro is the best medication. I had no life befor Lexpro. I used to suffer for 8 years from anxiety and panick attacks. I was always scared from anything. The doctor asked me to try Lexpro I was so afriad of medications, I thought medications would never help me. I used think that I will help my self to stop thinking about it. I thought they were all thoughts in my mind and I have to change them I used to get panick attacks everday when I'm sleeping. I would recommend anyone to try this medication because this medication will safe your life if you have anxity I have been 10 mg for months then 15 for 2 months and 4 months for 20 Mg and am still taking it. And I will never stop taking it"

Baraag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have extreme anxiety and major depression. For me, all SSRI's, SSNRI's make me feel extremely weird. Almost as if my body feels "too good" but not in a good way. The only way to describe it is like jolts of electric shocks throughout my body that feel good. Also when I yawn or take a deep breath my teeth start to chatter. It also creates extreme erectile dysfunction for me to the point where it burns when I urinate. Unfortunately these are symptoms I cannot put up with, even though it does work."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"This is my second time on Lexapro. I took a 6 month break because I am not usually one for long-term medicine and it was causing me to gain weight. However, I am too a point in my life where I feel like my GAD is just going to slowly kill me if I don't keep it under control (I am 26). Anyway, I've never had any side-effects to this drug other than weight gain. And, I hope it's not the placebo effect, but I swear this stuff works the first day. I can feel my anxiety riddled, tense muscles loosening more and more. Give it a try! It's worth a shot to feel better!"

Altruistic Anxiety Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "After months of cbt with my psychologist for severe anxiety and panic disorder i decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. I was perscribed 5mg then 10mg of lexapro to start and it gradually incresed to 20mg. In the first few days i had never felt worse. More frequant and severe panic attacks and my general anxiety went through the roof and i had the most extreme feeling of hopelessness. I was a mess and calling my drs telling them i needed to stop taking it. They reassured me these side affects would go away within weeks, and they did. I continued with the cbt, mindfullness, lifestyle changes and stayed on the lexapro and within months i felt i was back to my normal self. Post like these kept me going. Hang in there, you're not alone!"

El441 June 21, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next