User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since 2017. I found myself not leaving the house, in and out of hospitals, going to so many doctors for answers, not being able to drive, or even be by myself and having panic attacks everyday and so I was giving up. I found a therapist who helped me tremendously! He advised me to get on Lexapro. I was scared, I didn't want to take it and I felt like I was weak I can honestly tell you I am beyond thankful that I made myself get on this medication. It has totally changed my life in such a positive way. I do have to say the first couple of weeks were rough for me. I was dizzy, nauseous, just all the way felt like rubbish BUT STICK IT OUT. I am so thankful. Give this medicine a try but always remember you have to change the way you live your life and your thoughts, always be positive and always remember you will get out of this and you can live a happy and healthy life."

drey_95 February 14, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am a 50 year old male in a highly stressful professional occupation. I became stricken with severe work related anxiety making me irritable and agonizing over decisions or interacting with others. Lexapro 10mg saved my career, as I was at the point that I believed I could no longer continue to function at work. The first few days were rough, but after 5 days, I remember waking up and feeling like the anxiety has diminished substantially. My anxiety continued to diminish gradually and now, after being on this medication for 1 year, I feel great. Only side effect is lasting longer...no complaints from the wife. I was hesitant to take the pharmaceutical route and felt real men should tough it out...so stupid."

Nick68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I tried Zoloft first and it made me extremely sick. I switched to Lexapro (generic) after a week and it helped the sickness tremendously. I have been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now and it is really just starting to work. It is helping a lot with my anxiety but I am having some common and not so common side effects. The common: difficulty orgasming (this was present in the Zoloft as well for me). Uncommon: I am also having trouble urinating (I can't go right away or at all if I don't REALLY have to go). My scalp has become very dry and itchy. I also got a yeast infection, which I am assuming is from the medication. It is not listed in the side effects but I have seen many other women complain of this. Over all, the fact that I feel like a normal person again outweighs all of the side effects for me. I am on 10mg and I plan to go down to 5mg after 6 months and my doctor thinks that will help with the side effects."

JCPM February 5, 2018

"I was on generic Lexapro for 2 years and didn't see any benefit from it when it came to anxiety . Reason for the score of 7 is because it did reduce the highs and lows and made everything meh . Side effects as everyone else , weight gain, sexual side effects were horrible, and I couldn't cry if I had to, like I could get sad inside, but nothing on the outside. The withdrawal wasn't to bad ,tapered down in 2 months no problem until I completely stopped. 2 weeks of slight dizziness and them shivers on my head . I'd take it again for serious rough times."

rc121 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2018

"escitalopram for Night Eating Syndrome (NES). For 5 years I have suffered from extreme hunger, multiple awakenings throughout the night to get up and eat. I would lose control and tried everything to make it stop. I've done so much research on this topic but never found an answer. I've done overnight sleep studies, nutritional therapy, been checked for parasites, hormonal imbalances, nutrient deficiencies. My doctor prescribed this medication for another issue but I noticed the sleep eating stopped. Sure enough, there have actually been clinical studies on treating people with NES with SSRIs with huge success This has decreased my appetite so that now I'm actually full after I eat a meal. I used to eat and never feel full. The other amazing thing is that I'm actually getting proper REM sleep now, because my cycle isn't disrupted by multiple awakenings which prevented me from getting into a deep sleep"

Maraschino (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Pros I felt the positive effects of this medication within a matter of hours. I was at a point in my life where anxiety was dominating both my personal, professional, and familial relationships. I also had extreme health anxiety, which dominated a lot of my thoughts. Since starting Lexapro, I have noticed a huge difference in the reduction of my anxiety, including my health anxiety. I am happier and better able to connect with people (most likely because my anxiety has reduced a lot). The pros definitely outweigh the cons I experienced. Cons I have heard that this medication can increase suicidal ideation, which is a big con. I didn't have a huge depressive element to my anxiety, so I can't comment on the effects it has with depression Side effects: I have been having hot flushes, mainly at night Definitely increased thirst and dry mouth Some diarrhoea at the start, but that has settled Some waking up at 5am wide awake"

AustraliaLexapro February 3, 2018

"I have been suffering from GAD for the past two months, although the first symptoms started 5 months ago when I had my first panic attacks. I have been taking the medication for only one week, and although I know every situation is different, I can say that it really helps! In the beginning I was really afraid to take it, due to the side effects I was reading in the internet, but the only ones I had were a dry mouth and feeling sleepy, that lasted only for the first 5-6 days. Another thing that I have noticed is that it increased my anxiety for the first 5 days, which I account as a possible side effect. BUT, what I am sure about is that it started changing my life from day 6 already!! I feel happy most of the time and my anxiety diminished to a level that is actually close to normal. Of course, I cannot be sure that me feeling so much better is all thanks to the drug, since it is too soon to say, but I am so looking forward to experience its full effect!"

Dorakri January 30, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been suffering chronic anxiety and regular bouts of deep depression since my mid teens. I’m 28. I’ve tried everything, including therapy for many years, & was starting to fear I was doomed to feel sad for the rest of my life. I was desperate to see if anything could make me feel better so I set aside my stubborn anti-medication stance. I am so glad I did. I’ve been on lexapro 3 wks now (still at a tiny 5mg dose) & saw an almost immediate improvement. My emotions have levelled out & my anxiety has toned down. Side effects were: weird kaleidoscopic closed-eye hallucinations when going to sleep, fluttery chest & increased anxiety in the evening...but only for the first few nights. Still experiencing a bit of sleeplessness. I also found my ability to orgasm disappeared for the first 2.5 weeks (to my horror) and I was considering stopping because of that, but lo and behold, it came back - so if anyone else experiences that I encourage you to hang in there a few weeks!"

SMP1989 January 29, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This got rid of my anxiety completely while on it! I finally got my life back. I’ve been struggling from severe anxiety my whole life and this finally helped. Like every medication, their are some symptoms that slip through. I still get anxious, but not as often, and only like 5 times a day. For me, that’s barely bad. I used to be anxious over EVERYTHING. For my depression it helps me not feel depressed as long, but I still felt almost as equally depressed as before just not everyday. And, most of the time I wasn’t depressed. But it did work better for my anxiety. Overall, everyone reacts to different medications differently so my advice probably won’t be relevant to your experience."

Harrison.nnnnn January 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Here’s the thing there are so many different types of anxiety and depression medications out there, what works well with one person can have horrible effects on another. Keep that in mind when looking for what’s best for you"

Anonymous January 8, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took Lexapro for a couple of years and stopped but have now just started back up again due to severe anxiety along with some agoraphobia. The first time I was on it, I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg after two weeks. For me this medication works very well. Startup side effects are slight nausea, jitters, and not sleeping very well. Also more difficult to ejaculate. The jitters which, when you already have anxiety, will only exacerbate the problem until the side effects wear off after about a week or so. It's helpful to have a prescription for Ativan or Xanax on standby to get through any panic attacks during the startup period. When it does kick in, there isn't a "wow, I feel amazing!" moment. More "wow, I don't feel awful anymore.""

pwordtx (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2018

"Before starting on this drug I was about to kill myself because I didn’t want to live in my head anymore. My anxiety was so bad I couldn’t handle any sort of social interaction and became mildly agoraphobic at my worst. I went from being the life of the party to a shell of a human because of overwhelming personal circumstances and genetic predispotion to anxiety and depression. The DAY AFTER I got put on Lexapro (10mg) my entire brain chemistry was readjusted. I felt like me again. I can’t even talk about the transformation in real life without getting emotional. If anything that I or any of these other people has said has resonated with you ... give this drug a go! I was anti-medication before I tried this. It saved my life"

Becky1994 January 1, 2018

"Worst medication I ever took! One hour after the first pill, I was super agitated, nervous, anxious, insomniac. Even after 5 weeks I still feel very bad (worst than before I started). My blood pressure is super high, I don't feel good and I am sweating a lot! Stick to citalopram!"

Deschenes December 30, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro is the first SSRI I've tried, and it's done wonders for me. I'm not a slave to my moods anymore - I'm extremely grateful for the emotional stability this drug has given me. It's absolutely fantastic for anxiety. The only side effect I've experienced is decreased libido, which is why I'm giving it a 9 and not a 10."

JesseJones (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My wife began taking Lexapro about two months ago. After two weeks her personality was unrecognizable. One month after she began taking Lexapro she filed for divorce. She began calling the police on me and of course the police did nothing to me. We had five kids. My whole world, my kids lives, all of it destroyed by this drug. Don't do it."

Thibault (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was suffering bad anxiety when I lost a very close friend. I started to think something was wrong with me and gradually my anxiety took over. I was at the doctor every other day with palpitations thinking I was having a heart attack then thinking I had lumps around that area. After about 6 weeks I finally said to my doctor I need help he prescribed me lexapro 10mgs the first 5 weeks were horrible couldn’t keep awake feeling sick could hardly eat felt awful. Then it kicked in I’m back to myself I find it an amazing medication please stick with it. I’m so happy I did. But as I said first 5 weeks were tough. But now it has turned me back to myself."

Lanahiya (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2017

"I am about two weeks into taking escitalopram. The first two days were side effect free. But after that I was vomiting constantly and could barely eat anything. I have lost five pounds and I am already a small girl. I experience very mild headaches here and there. Mostly at night when I am trying to sleep. One minute I am constipated and the next I have diarrhea. Not cool. I cannot eat much at all, have NOT lost any sexual interest. Now that I am two weeks into the medication I am experiencing additional anxiety like heart palpitations and feelings of wanting to break down crying over nothing. I used to be on a higher dose of ‘citalopram’ which caused no side effects but this one is hard on my body. Hope it works for my anxiety eventually"

Shanbuch December 2, 2017

"I randomly started having horrible anxiety making me feel sick and wanting to avoid all social situations. Dr put me on Lexapro 10mg and it’s been a life saver. I was worried at first with bad reviews, but I shouldn’t have been. Only side effect was dry mouth the first two days. Took about 3 weeks to work, but suddenly one day I realized I had no anxiety. It’s been a blessing."

Kim06273929 November 29, 2017

"Took lexapro for 4 weeks, 5mg, didn’t have any side affects or notice any changes until the 4th week, I just suddenly realized I actually felt normal. Stopped taking it after that and then went back on it in July when I was at one of my lowest moments I had ever experienced. I had one moment where I felt I could no longer cope and understood that suicide is about taking away your own pain, not about hurting others. Been taking it for three months now and back to my normal self. Enjoy social gatherings, have more energy, not so much social anxiety. Still only take 5mg, half a pill and it is all that I need to feel levelled out. Still zero side affects."

In5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

"I had been taking Citalopram for over 6 years (20MG) when my doctor switched me to Escitalopram several months ago. We started with 15MG, and it definitely helped, but my anxiety was still bad, so we decided to increase the dose to 20MG about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a panic attack since, but I am extremely lethargic and unmotivated. I sleep 12-15 hours a day (I have a very flexible work schedule), and I'm still tired and take naps during the day. I make up any excuse not to do my work, and I have trouble getting myself to do ANYTHING, including going outside. I won't even walk to the store if I really need something. I've always loved to sleep, but I used to be extremely self-motivated."

SleepySara (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "So I have been taking Prozac for a long time but I was always taking naps and tired, I didn’t want to do anything go anywhere. I decided to look into Lexapro reviews some of them really scared me. I thought why not give it a shot one of my cousins takes Lexapro. The doctor switched me from Prozac to Lexapro and I’m going on three weeks I feel so much better I have more energy I’m not sleeping all the time. I’m noticing more things that make me happy. I did have side effects in the beginning but they were very mild constipation dizziness tingly feelings but those are starting to go away. I’m so glad I try this medication I hope it continues to work for me. The doctor started me on 5 mg and I’m slowly working my way up to 10 mg. Write your reviews because people actually do read them."

Happy that I switch to Lexapro November 19, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My first few days I had a lot of nausea as expected then some increased anxiety. But after a few week to around 6 weeks in I was back to my old self. Life saver for me! Everyday prior to taking lexapro for months was a struggle with anxiety and random panic attacks, face tingling, unbalanced feeling and just feeling off all around. 4 months of taking 10 mg and what a relief. Back to socialization, eating better, feeling better With no face tingling. Give it a try for about 6 weeks for full effects and side effects will subside. They did for me."

GiveItTime November 18, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "First time taking 2.5mg Lexapro 3 hours after taking it I could not speak or think or walk normally, had severe nausea and headache, Spent 8 hours in ER. 2nd day have diarrhea and heart palpitations. I only took 2.5mg once. Not for me!"

Diana92708 November 17, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I made it to 62 without needing any anti-depressants or mood meds ever. Then my Mom got ill with dementia , fell often and my husband and I were "it" to take care of her. We sold our house and moved closer to her. The anxiety that came with taking over her care and the care of my down syndrome sister was overwhelming. I thought I was dealing with it but finally caved. My MD put me on Lexapro and made me better. Before the lexapro I was grumpy , not happy at work , I didn't want to be around people AND had bowel issues at inopportune times. Lexapro was a life float for me. Yes it made me a little sleepy the first 2 weeks , I had some transient constipation and libido problems but all that passed. I like the person I am on Lexapro."

KathyBSN (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Wasn't sleeping well and was having career-related anxiety. I went to my PCP and he put me on Ambien and Lexapro. I was very concerned about effect Lexapro would have on me, but I went ahead and started it. First day I was a little tingly but no other immediate physical response. The next morning I woke up retching/dry heaving. I spent the whole day having hot and cold spells. My ears were burning. My head felt congested but without any sinus issues. I was severely agitated/restless. I couldn't sit still. Felt sick all day. I took the pill again the second morning (yesterday), but today woke up retching again. Still very restless with some twitching of arms and legs. Didn't take the medicine again today."

Gville Guy (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017