User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Lexapro (escitalopram): "So I have been taking Prozac for a long time but I was always taking naps and tired, I didn’t want to do anything go anywhere. I decided to look into Lexapro reviews some of them really scared me. I thought why not give it a shot one of my cousins takes Lexapro. The doctor switched me from Prozac to Lexapro and I’m going on three weeks I feel so much better I have more energy I’m not sleeping all the time. I’m noticing more things that make me happy. I did have side effects in the beginning but they were very mild constipation dizziness tingly feelings but those are starting to go away. I’m so glad I try this medication I hope it continues to work for me. The doctor started me on 5 mg and I’m slowly working my way up to 10 mg. Write your reviews because people actually do read them."

Happy that I switch to Lexapro November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My first few days I had a lot of nausea as expected then some increased anxiety. But after a few week to around 6 weeks in I was back to my old self. Life saver for me! Everyday prior to taking lexapro for months was a struggle with anxiety and random panic attacks, face tingling, unbalanced feeling and just feeling off all around. 4 months of taking 10 mg and what a relief. Back to socialization, eating better, feeling better With no face tingling. Give it a try for about 6 weeks for full effects and side effects will subside. They did for me."

GiveItTime November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "First time taking 2.5mg Lexapro 3 hours after taking it I could not speak or think or walk normally, had severe nausea and headache, Spent 8 hours in ER. 2nd day have diarrhea and heart palpitations. I only took 2.5mg once. Not for me!"

Diana92708 November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Wasn't sleeping well and was having career-related anxiety. I went to my PCP and he put me on Ambien and Lexapro. I was very concerned about effect Lexapro would have on me, but I went ahead and started it. First day I was a little tingly but no other immediate physical response. The next morning I woke up retching/dry heaving. I spent the whole day having hot and cold spells. My ears were burning. My head felt congested but without any sinus issues. I was severely agitated/restless. I couldn't sit still. Felt sick all day. I took the pill again the second morning (yesterday), but today woke up retching again. Still very restless with some twitching of arms and legs. Didn't take the medicine again today."

Gville Guy (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started Lexapro about 4 weeks ago. It helped anxiety but depression was still there. I talked with counsellor today and he had just gotten back from a symposium on depression. He said people sometimes underuse their anti-depressants. They feel a little better but till not great. He advised increasing the medication to a level I feel really better. So I am going up to 10 mg. I think 10-15 mg may be right for me. Keep trying, this is a chemical imbalance, runs in families. If you R not satisfied w/results then try increasing your dose after discussing with Dr of course. I am so happy to have found this med, my anxiety is already getting better, I've had no major side effects. I wish you all the best."

bambam80503 November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Today was my first day (10 mg) and I felt great until I felt dizzy, then like I was going to faint. Then felt like I was going to throw up. This was all at work! I never did get sick, splashed water on my face and laid down and felt better after about 30 minutes or so. The other thing is that I did not eat much today, so not sure if that was a contributing factor. I feel like if I can work thru these side effects, it will really help."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I finally gave in and started taking Escitalopram for my Anxiety. I've been living with it for the last 12 years diagnosed at age 20. I'm a healthy male, enjoy jogging and in general eat very healthy. I'm taking Lamotragine (lamictal) for Bipolar disorder as well. I wouldn't say there was any tough phases for me to be honest. I'm on day 7 now and all I've had was some headaches after waking up that lasted till the afternoon. They subsided after the 3rd day. I haven't noticed any increase in anxiety or loss in sex drive yet either. I'm looking forward to experience the full effect/benefits of this medication"

cwj85 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was not going to take Lexapro after reading all the reviews. I was really skeptical about the side effects. I read one very positive review & it changed my mind. I am so glad I started Lexapro two months ago. I was put on Lexapro for anxiety. I was always in a bad mood & everything set me off. I started with 10mg & saw a slight improvement the first week. It wasn't until the Dr put me on 15mg about a month in that I really saw considerable improvement. Two months later I can honestly say I am am so happy to be on this medication. Everything just seems better. I am happy. I find joy in the things I used to. I look forward to social events. My mood is so much better. I did not gain weight. No sexual side affects. Please give it a try!"

butfirstanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hi I've been taking lexapro since 2014 it helps a lot although I still have some anxiety but it works wonders, no side effects I take 20mg"

axmfri (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro pretty much saved my life at one point. I’ve had anxiety/depression all my life but a few years ago I was at a low point. I wasn’t getting out of bed and felt like I had no reason to even get up in the morning. One day I decided it was time to live again and I saw a psychiatrist. He prescribed me 10mg of lexapro which I was advised to take half of for the 1st two weeks. As most people have mentioned, the 1st few weeks are for SURE not a good time. If you were already dealing with bad depression, I would advise that you stay close to good people for the 1st couple of weeks. I promise you though, it gets better if you wait it out. MAJOR sexual side effects (as in NO sex drive whatsoever) but if you have bad anxiety, it’s worth it."

j0rdann October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started with 0.5 tablets a day with no improvement (should be a stage to test any side effects resulted) 0.5 tablets more for every diagnosis. Kept a level of 3 tablets for longtime A peak of 4 tablets after 1 year and 2 months due to an sad period of my life I almost got no side effects and my anxiety kept reducing with less washing action for my clothing and less care of tiny dirt (Kind of dirt that I concern) However, my mood is still not always good (except those anxiety from dirt). Not sure what matters But overall Lexapro helps me a lot! At least I have more time to sleep (I used to wash my stuff until 3-4am 3-4 days a week but now I seldom wash, I have my normal bedtime even though I need to wash Sth)"

G T (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "For me and other people I have suggested this medication too it has completely changed our lives for the better. Reading reviews you often see knee jerk reactions from people suffering deeply and then taking the medication and going through the up to 4 week period of feeling worse. That is a tough 4 weeks if you felt you where already at breaking point, easy to pull out the pitch fork at that time. But you're less likely to hear from the people who would tell you the polar opposite of that because once taking lexapro providing you are feeling better it’s easy to leave the dark world behind and return to the light. My suggestion to anyone who has been recommended this, ignore stigma and try this for at least 4 weeks at your doctors direction. GL ML"

Wilex October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I struggled with severe postpartum anxiety and depression for two years after my daughter was born. I went to therapy but was still struggling. I didn't want to take medication for a very long time, because I just didn't want to be a "medicated mom." I always thought it would get better. It didn't and I was exhausted. I am taking only 10mg of lexapro now (therapeutic dose is considered 20mg) and I'm staying at 10. My life is COMPLETELY different. I feel joy and happiness again, my anxiety is gone, I sleep well, my sadness and anger are gone. It is life changing and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. And I'm actually a better, happier mom now! Give yourself a chance to get better. Mild side effects at first - mild nausea and headache."

SColly (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have dealt with both anxiety and depression the majority of my adult career. I was previously on Prozac 10mg, and had a dosage increase to 20mg but I experienced no significant change and could not stay consistent with the medication. After discontinuing the Prozac, I felt I could deal with my Anxiety without medication. Boy was I wrong.. symptoms got worse.. -uncontrollable crying -dry heaving - no interest in doing anything -tired all of the time I finally got evaluated by my provider, and they prescribed Lexapro 10mg This is only my second day on the medication, and anxiety is at a low. However, I am feeling very Nauseous I normally have a beer or two, and I have no interest in drinking alcohol Is this normal?"

Jewel01 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Before Lexapro I was on Adderall witch I abused with drinking and resulted in alcohol poisoning and Atrial Fibulation (irregular heartbeat) after this incident my anxiety went through the roof and I feared to drink or take another medication again. I had multiple times where I would go to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack and each time they told me it was anxiety. That’s when my doctor recommended lexapro. It does take some time for your body to get used to but once it did my anxiety was almost gone! You just need to let your body get used to it and find the right dose for you. I have been on it for almost a year now and I still get a little anxious but haven’t had any panic attacks."

Devon29118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was on this medication for a number of years, but I've come off it, because it doesn't help my social anxiety and the side-effects are quite debilitating for me. I have both generalised and social anxiety and though the Lexapro did help me feel generally less anxious, it did not help with the social anxiety. It also made me feel constantly very fatigued. Coming off Lexapro was absolutely horrible and I felt physically and mentally awful. Though it certainly is a good fit for mild to moderate anxiety, I felt like I was trapped on the medication because coming off it even for a day made me physically ill."

MacyPryce (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "NEVER HAD AN ANXIETY ATTACK AFTER LEXAPRO. I used to have very severe anxiety , and I had to go to hospital multiple times thinking I had heart attacks. I had hot/cold flashes, chest pains, pounding heart, couldn’t breathe, dizziness.... unfortunately I got off of it to take a pill for my Tourette’s syndrome a few weeks ago and my anxiety came back and the new pill made me sick , so now my anxiety is back badly and I had to go to hospital multiple times thinking I had heart issues again... just got put back on lexipro a week ago hasn’t started working yet I hope it kicks in :( I also took buspar with lexapro before it is a second anxiety pill and u can take them together ."

lovablehaley October 7, 2017

"light and fuzzy headed"

gwanny jan (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was taking Celexa for 6 years. It didn't work for me like it once did. I'm 44, hormones are changing. Started Lexapro 4 weeks ago. No side effects, happy and feeling very positive, normal. Once in awhile, I feel angry, but yoga takes my anger away quickly."

Lana Bell October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Moved cities to try and save money but this hasn't worked out as planned. I been stressed for the last 8 months and one day I just started getting anxiety attack and just depressed as heck. Went go see doctor. Got on 10mg lexapro for first 2 weeks then 20mg after that. Had minor side effects. Trouble urinating. Dry mouth. Minor head ache and the craziest most vivid dreams. And about a 2 week period of bad depression. All has since gone away. Besides the dreams. Very low libido. Don't drink alcohol on this medication is takes away the effects. Took me 3 days to start feeling the meds again. My anxiety is more manageable and i feel more sociable."

Riversyy September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Oh my goodness! Can I give this drug a negative rating? Took it for one day and felt like a dang maniac! Took it before bed, and the next morning I woke up and felt so nauseous. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil at other times in life and I have never felt so sick and manic - absolute worst feeling ever! Took several days for that one dose to leave my system. However, having sex that night I had the most intense orgasm!"

TLWea (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on a low dose of generic Lexapro for almost a month now, 5 mg, and it has drastically improved my quality of life. I was suffering from anxiety and mild depression due to other significant health problems that weren't getting better--the more I worried about my health the worse it got, and it kept going in a circle on and on. The first week of taking the medicine it caused a slight headache off and on, and some mild dizziness and constipation. But those side effects went away completely by week 2. Now I'm getting back to normal, I'm the happiest I've been in 2 years, I feel like myself again. I was scared to try another anxiety medicine after a bad experience with Zoloft. But the lexapro has been wonderful! Don't lose hope!"

W. Lauren September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff helps. In one month I saw an improvement. Makes my outlook positive and removed the palpitations and fear I had."

Arisen89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm using this drug from 5 years now I have stopped as I feel good but after 5 days I feel anger and sadness . Is this due to this medicine ? I have restarted one dose but feel wore pls advice"

Khany August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 4 of using this Med- I first I noticed I was very tired and fatigue - I experienced short term memory loss - I also couldn't stay focused in on a conversation.. Not for me"

Joey Klein (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017