User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Depression

"I have been on generic lexapro going on week 4 now. First week I noticed my anxiety was worst then before, second and 3 week got really bad nausea and headaches still experiencing it now going on week 4. Is this normal? Also I been having to pee a lot at night. I do feel my energy is back but also I been yawning like crazy and my stomachs gurgles."

Gina (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro is one of the best anti-depressants available. It takes about a month to kick in (you can read online about why these medicines take so long to work, it's complicated). I'm on 20 mg, very few side effects, one being it takes longer to have an orgasm. Overall, good medication."

Pon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2018

"I am a 36yr mother of 4, I have been on 20mg of escitapram for over 3 years and before that a whole other load of different meds! At first it were like a new lease of life I could actually leave the house..2 slow painful years of repeat prescriptions of it and I avoided all doctors apps (anxiety in me) avoided everything even taking my children to school. A family member stepped in an forced me to the doctors the doc gave me an add on of promezine 5ml morning and night still no change 2 week later. I were very low by this point nothing would make me happy so went back an we were given another add on of trazadone 50mg and although I still have bouts of unhappiness the anxiety. I am now managing my life and taking my kids to school. I believe it works with a balance of other drugs. 3 years later I am still on it and doctors haven’t even suggested coming off! I do wish I could be normal and not hold so many horrible thoughts/anxiety’s/memories and more!"

Jj September 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This drug has saved my life! I started on 10mg and then got moved up to 20. I fortunately didn't have any side effects. I remember after my doctor suggested lexapro, I spent hours on this site reading reviews. I was nervous, but I'm so glad I decided to start lexapro. I had been experience anxiety and depression and lexapro has tremendously helped both. I didn't realize how bad my symptoms were until I got relief! I don't feel like I need to sleep all day now. Talking with people and making phone calls doesn't seem like a huge painful chore. I feel lighter and can motivate myself to get done what I have to. I also am in therapy which helps with some of my maladaptive thinking and negative self thoughts (those patterns won't go away overnight) I'm more equipped to challenge those thoughts on this medication. Sometimes my anxiety creeps back up for no reason and I've since been prescribed a PRN but overall I'm satisfied with my experience. I would recommend lexapro!"

ob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medicine made my depression/anxiety worse. I'm 22 years old, and I was warned that people under 25 may have suicidal thoughts or worsening mood. My doctor prescribed me 10mg for depression/anxiety and insomnia. For the first 3 weeks, I didn't feel any change in mood and wasn't sleeping any better but thought I had to give it more time. Then the next 2 weeks were BAD. When I was driving I had thoughts like "If anyone were to crash into me right now I wouldn't care." And thoughts like that scared me! I went to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to Paxil. Please be careful if you are young and taking this drug."

tiredgymgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

"I was on Cipralex for 6 years and it worked really well for me except a little off balance feeling. I tried to wean off with Doctors approval. I was off Cipralex for 4 months and then depression and anxiety came back. Cipralex didn’t work when I went back on it. Tried Pristiq but no luck. Now I have been on Zoloft. Hope and pray it works for me. If you are on any medication please try to stay on it and be happy with 8 or 9. Good luck!"

J08 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I tried Lexapro for a month, it did work for my depression, I had hardly any side effects but this one: It made me lose my hair!! I went off of it immediately, I'm now trying to look for another antidepressant that does not make me lose hair"

Downer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

"Have been on 10 mg of Escitalopram for a while have had bouts of depression over the last 20 years went on holiday got into bad sleeping and things escalated and I’m in another bout. I have been upped to 20mg been on it for a month am struggling with most things. I am still at work but it’s hard this is my 5th week should it start to kick in soon"

G (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

"I have tried this medicine a few times and I always have the same experience. At the start up dose of 5mg I feel like I have a chance at feeling less hopeless. But I have terrible anxiety. After an increase to 10mg in a fews weeks I am more depressed and anxious then when I started it. I have been on this medicine for 10 weeks and its like I'm screaming from a roller coaster to get off."

Maddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on lexapro for around 9 months. I started on 10mg then went to 15mg (liquid version). It worked well to start off but then it started to not work as often. It made me gain 13kgs in the span of 7 months and for that side effect, the drug wasn't doing enough for me. I am now going to change to another medicine, maybe prozac and see how I go."

Lisayyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro was my miracle medication for a couple of years and all of sudden it stopped working. I had very little side effects, if any, and it gave me my life back. Years later, we tried Lexapro again with no relief from depression."

Dixie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I currently take Lexapro 17.5mg for OCD/depression/anxiety. This drug has given me my life back. I was going off the deep end until I was prescribed this medication. I had some side effects to start off (trouble sleeping, weight gain), but have curbed these side effects through diet and exercise. Lexapro does a great job lifting depression and definitely helps with anxiety. I highly recommend this SSRI over Zoloft, which I was on for about 2 years. I also like the fact that the dosing of this med is much lower than that of Zoloft. Great experience with Lexapro. Helps with some of my anger too."

K-Man-Money (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

"It all depends on the manufacture of the lexapro you are taking. Some give you such horrific nightmares, some give you dreams that are confusing causing you anxiety you wake up short of breath and fuzzy. Before the generic brands came out, this medicine was wonderful, no side effects and did it's job! The pharmaceutical companys and our doctors should monitor what these generic meds do to their patients!"

The bad trip (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2018

"Take with major caution. If you experience any changes or decline in depressive mood contact your doctor immediately. My son committed suicide just after taking this medication for just a little over 2 weeks. He was 21 years old. It changed him in just that brief amount of time. Take with caution. Observe behavior changes. Don't hesitate to call on call services or go to ER. I know it works well for many people but just a warning to pay attention to. People need to know this"

Khowie (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2018

"I was prescribed this medication by my doctor a little more than a month ago for my depression which has been impairing my life for about a year. It just started getting worse and was no longer a thing I could push away. My marks slipped, I was isolating myself from my friends and family, couldn’t pay attention and grasp simple concepts, and all I did was sleep. I would wake up in the morning scared for the day to come and wishing I had never woken up. But my life has changed so quickly, I no longer have this negative default view on things. I cannot pinpoint exactly where I felt things starting to change, or specifically how. However, I’m starting to return to what I would remember as “normal”. I don’t feel like I’m faking it anymore or feel miserable and hopeless about my life. Anyone who takes this medication and hasn’t experienced the full therapeutic effect, should definitely wait at least a month. It won’t be an instantaneous change but it will gradually get easier over time."

alanna August 7, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Just started on this medicine. I really can't rate it, I do know it gives me a headache. From all the reviews the first couple of weeks are the hardest. We shall see."

Vicky (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm currently taking Lexapro 30 mg for the last year it's really help with my depression been on it for years and doing really well but I talk to my doctor and added a mood stabilizer it's called Ruxli. It's really made a big difference and it definitely boost your personality and your moods sleep well everything is changes it's amazing combination to take together when you're depressed and you get anxiety I would highly recommend it"

JR July 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "37 Female mom of 2. I have hormones imbalance, anxiety and occasional depression - genetic - first of all hang in there it takes a couple months for the full effect - I kept quitting because of the sexual side effects and never fully gave it time to work! hang in there after a few months I was back to my old self, high sex drive and amazing orgasms! - I don’t feel detached or numb, I feel in control, calmer and more focused. - I did not gain any weight, take the tablet after a meal. Previously I took it on an empty tummy and felt hungry all the time. Take a good probiotic and good multivitamins. Take walks & meditate. - drug did not ruin my creativity - I can sit longer with my children, connect with them and I'm less impatient, I am a much more empathetic and attentive listener. - this drug turned my life around. I suffered through my childhood and early adult years with definite low serotonin. - I sleep better! - my skin is better - stress free. I accept myself and love myself more. "

GoGirl July 19, 2018

"I have battled depression, OCD and PMDD for 20 years + and have taken various antidepressants including fluoxetine, sertraline and citopram which have all helped slightly at the time. I’ve had an awful time post birth suffering to the point of having suicidal ideas. I commenced escacitalopram 20mg 3 weeks ago and I feel the best I’ve felt since I can remember. I feel happy, excited, energised . No weight gain. I’m slightly overheating at times but I carry a hand held fan around . On the whole I feel fantastic . This drug has given me my life back so I can now enjoy my daughter and my wonderful family."

Michelle (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was on 10 mg for about 3 months. It did help me get out of bed, and made me more alert. However, also made me very talkative (I'm usually quiet) and also gave me mood swings. I would get out of control when the medication would wear off. I had to stop taking it because my anger would get out of control. Overall it helps with depression but I couldn't handle the mood swings, so I had to stop. I started cutting the tablet in half for 1 week then stopped without any major side effects, only bad headaches for about 2 weeks."

562calikid (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Came off of Zoloft, 100 mg with horrible daily nightmares that caused me to not want to sleep. Tried lexapro 10mg for 2 weeks - horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea the WHOLE entire time! Plus it’s getting worse not better! Went to the dr, am trying something else!"

Unimpressed (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been on Lexapro 5mg for 4 weeks now. I was in a deep depression and extreme anxiety. The Lexapro began to lift the depression within a few days. It has helped anxiety but not as much as it has helped the depression. I am now sleeping the entire night and don’t need as much ambien, I have been able to cut down to half of what I was using before. Side effects to start were intense lethargy, some jaw clenching. These side effects are improving everyday."

Lynny79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

"I've suffered from depression since high school. I didn't know what it was at that time so I didn't say anything to my parents. I just though I was feeling normal teenage feelings. At the age of 20, nine months after my son was born I hit rock bottom. I couldn't even move I was so achy. My doctor prescribed lexapro. The first few days I think I felt even worse he said to give it a few more days. One day I just woke up and I felt like a different person. It was amazing. I wasn't sad at all anymore. This medication has changed my life. My anxiety is minimal. I rarely cry (maybe once a year). It has made me a stronger person. My only complaint is the withdrawal. I have tried 3 times to taper off of it over the past 15 years and I turn into a severely depressed person again, get major headaches and think the world is out to get me. Obviously this medication works wonders for me so I will be staying in it forever. I just hope it continues to work."

Cazz (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2018

"Have taken Prozac for 35 plus years. Dr. Just switched over to this, and within a week I am functioning better than I have in years. So far so good! Thank you."

Haul (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2018

"I was very hesitant to take anti-depressants, even though I have struggled with mild to moderate depression and anxiety most of my life. After a romantic relationship ended and I lost my job, I felt I would give Cipralex a try. I am a 35 year-old female. Pros: very limited, short-term side effects that mostly went away, helped reduce some anxiety, I lost weight and did not have a need to emotionally eat as much anymore. Cons: no significant improvement in my depression, made me sleepy throughout the day. Advice: when first taking this medication, take it when you have a few days off from work and no big plans as it causes sleepiness and insomnia at the beginning (at least it did for me). All medications work differently on people but this was my experience. I know some people saw this as a wonder drug; you will never know until you try!"

Tina (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Depression