User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Depression

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have used Lexapro for approximately. 8 years. I can't say that the drug is an effective antidepressant but it does modulate mood swings and generally improves my sense of well being."

Barry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for 8 yrs thanks to CBT. But I became depressed so I decided to try 5mg Lexapro. 1st week I felt apathetic & lethargic. The 2nd week I had anxiety, panic attacks, hypomania, extreme fidgetiness, internal vibrations, strange cold sensations & a fast heart rate. I tried to stick it out, but after 3.5 wks the symptoms became unbearable. After stopping, it has taken a month for my body to begin to feel normal again. After seeing multiple psychs, I believe I experieneced SSRI-induced “activation syndrome.” A genetic test later advised me to not take SSRI’s b/c I may have an “adverse reaction.” My prescribing doc did not recognize the activation syndrome but instead thought my symptoms pointed to Bipolar II & ADHD (untrue). These drugs are still experimental & docs aren’t always aware of side effects. I did notice increased positive thinking & motivation on Lexapro, but with the awful side effects it just wasn’t worth continuing."

rainbowbrite9 May 14, 2018

"Hi I have been through some trauma as a child that no one should ever have to go through. My life has been so up and down, an abusive partner the lot. I have suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life and being too stubborn to seek help and admit that I may actually need medication to help with the past trauma. I'm so glad I did. I was taking sertraline 200mg for 6 months I lost my appetite and insomnia as well. I lost so much weight so this was wrong one for me. I then had a review recently and am on day 4 of escitolipram 10mg and Valium 2.5 only as needed for anxiety and for the first time In my life I'm so happy and at peace my mood feels balanced and all!"

Mum of four :-) (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

"Put on this drug for returning anxiety symptoms and depression. I'm currently on 20 mg and I can say that this drug probably isn't going to do it for me. I still feel a lot of my anxiety most of the day (chest tightness, chest pain, tingling in head and tightness around head, body feels physically tensed most of the day, agitated and snappy) and the depression seems to be kind of OK. Basically, I feel emotionally flat most of the day, but some days I feel like I could just cry all day, but I don't feel like I'm able to unless I'm with my therapist. Also, I still occasionally get brief periods of panic, but all I feel is the rush of adrenaline for a brief period and then it's gone ( I guess that's a good thing; these seem like panic attacks to me except I'm not getting the typical symptoms)."

mark May 13, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Six months on escitalopram. The first 6 weeks were really hard. Insomnia, anxiety, aches, disturbing dreams, intrusive thoughts, flu-like symptoms, stomach issues, tremors, tingling, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms did ease up some after six weeks, but never went away. They were manageable though. About 2 months ago, the symptoms increased like the drug gave out. Two weeks ago, the symptoms kicked into high gear. Horrible fatigue that can't be rested away. Insomnia is back with a vengeance. Flu-like symptoms too that make you feel awful. And the anxiety! I could crawl out of my skin right now. It hasn't eased up either. Like flipping a switch, I just started feeling bad almost in an instant. The doc decided it was the escitalopram and are weaning me off. If I can get past this, I'll never touch it again. I was on Zoloft for years prior and it worked great but you can't take it with Tamoxifen. I know escitalopram is rated well by most people, but I can't tolerate it."

CSA1861 May 2, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Total poison this should be banned this med literally poisoned me, never had such a bad experience from any other antidepressant med as bad as this in my entire life. I have tried all the others before, but side effects were unbearable, but never felt as bad as this awful poison. The worst bit was the fever at night times and terrifying nightmares . Please do not take this rubbish med"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I found if I took it too late at night/too early in the morning I was very groggy and constantly yawning! After three weeks of trial and error I figured the best time (for me) was to take it at around 8pm at night. I feel incredible now and I have only been taking this drug for a month. Not 1 panic attack all month. The nightmares have stopped, yet I do have much more vivid dreams which is also odd for me. I'm far more relaxed about leaving the house. I haven't had any alcohol while on this drug. With regard to "Weight changes" listed in the side effects leaflet, I only found that I lost my appetite for the first two weeks, I was struggling to get my weight back up, but my appetite has returned. After being so anti-anti-depressants I'm regretting not having taken this drug 10 years ago! I have had a great experience so far =)"

DC April 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Fantastic medication for Depression. Usually 20mg but I'm on 30mg since recovering from 2nd major depression. NOTE: Beware of the GENERIC especially by Mylan Escitalopram 10mg Mylan NDC 0378-3856-77 it was totally ineffective for myself back in 2012 and some others I know in 2018 - literally like a placebo you might have to take generic due to insurance but if you worsen have your doctor justify you need the BRAND LEXAPRO"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was prescribed Lexapro for PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. Was on it very briefly for me to realize I needed to be off it like yesterday! Made me dissociate and have flashbacks very vividly and violently in my head for long durations of time. Also started seeing flashing lights while I was on it. A big NO GO!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"I’ve been on this for 3 months now, in the beginning I felt a very slight change. I started with 5 mg for 2 weeks, then went to 10 mg for 2 weeks and every since I’ve been on the full 20 mg. It hasn’t done anything but make me extremely sleepy all day. I waited the 3 months as recommended and I don’t think this is the one for me. I did have trouble sleeping on 20 mg, but other than that, I haven’t had any terrible symptoms. Just felt like a zombie. It’s been hard to cry, very low sex drive, hard to anger. But the depression is still there. I still have panic attacks as well. So I will no longer be taking this drug. This is the third antidepressant I’ve tried so I don’t think I’ll be trying anything else. Good luck to anyone else who is starting this drug. If you’re scared, don’t be. Start with a very small dose, and slowly increase it. You have to start somewhere."

DR (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I cannot even put into words the new life lexapro has given me. I refer ages 13-20 years as the “grey period” at first thought it was me going thru puberty & the changes in my hormones affected my mood. Fast forward to age 20, I had a complete mental breakdown. I was completely against antidepressants. I always thought I could cure myself without a pill- I would have periods of a few months of normalness, but then the depression & grey period always crept back up. That caused me to finally reach out to a doctor. After 2 months, I felt so much lighter. Fast forward to age 21 & I am a completely different person. My outlook for life & the way I process things, I feel a sense of a clearer, brighter, world full of possibilities. It sounds so cheesy- but life feels like it should feel, finally. (FYI- mental health issues run heavily in my family of both my father & mothers side. This is a chemical imbalance that was inherited, not created. I am learning this recently.)"

Hannah April 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I hope my experience can help you make the right decision. I took Cipralex for 8 Years, and originally got on it, after experiencing anxiety/panic attacks. Also, I felt a little down on myself being in University and having self esteem issues. I started off at 10MG's, and moved up to 20 MG's. This drug actually made me less self conscious, and more outgoing. However, it would make me feel 'slightly' manic, in the sense I would talk non-stop if the opportunity presented it self. It doesn't mix well with Alcohol, (nor the day's after, WOW). I would say this medication is okay. It works better for depression. Be mindful about what you seek out of it For Anxiety, not so much. It is okay.... Personally, I am looking for a medication that moderates and keeps depression AND anxiety in check. So I will be looking elsewhere. Not to mention, Cipralex is overpriced vs its generic competitors. I can't handle the generic one either."

hmaqsood (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I cannot express strongly enough how much Lexapro has turned my life around. I have suffered from bad depression since my teens (I’m now 29) and also anxiety. I’ve had therapy for years which was helpful but never managed to get the depression under control. I was beginning to think I’d never shake it. My GP convinced me to start taking 5mg Lexapro 3 months ago and within days I found I FINALLY had some reprieve from the constant feeling of despair I used to sink into. I have not felt the need to increase my dose yet - and the only major side effect was extreme lethargy for the first month. I am content for the first time in years. I feel like this drug has made me who I really am without the weight of depression - and the tools given to me in therapy now have a chance to be applied now I’m not being hijacked by my emotions. I truly hope it has the same effect for anyone else reading this, or at least gives hope that there may be a drug out there that will work for you."

CelFro April 10, 2018

"I'm on day 8 and feel greatly better. My depression and anxiety hit a all time high a couple weeks ago... I was nervous about taking meds but I knew I really needed help. So far so good honestly I sleep better as well, deeper sleep kind of. I actually started getting motivated to work out which is wild. My depression and anxiety steered me toward aggression and negative thoughts now I can really see the difference. I'm that person at can really feel my mood swings. I feel calm and think more clear. So far pretty good."

Velvet March 31, 2018

"Hello dear patient, I promise myself when I get better I will write review about escitalopram so you guys can benefit as well, because this positive reviews are kept me going. Important thing about antidepressants are they are usually big help and they mostly work on large numbers of patient, it is just that people are afraid of beginning side effects ( they can be terrified) and usually last up to 6weeks... because of that reason patients are losing hope and think antidepressants don't work , so they give up . Usually it gets worse before gets better.. I start feeling normal self after two and half months. 10 mg wasn't doing the job so I have to increase to 20mg. and have to wait another 7 weeks to feel better. I would recommend with doctors advice, you should be giving antidepressant 3 months to see benefit before changing the medication.. I hope, I can help at least one person with this review to stay positive and succeed with this medication. "

Mike March 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Because I’m a teenager I started off on 5 mg then when I wasn’t sure if it was working or doing anything I went up to 10 and after realizing nothing has changed I moved up to 15. It might just be me not responding to the medication but I feel like I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy with this medication which I was originally excited to go on. If I forgot to take it for a day I see no difference (not sure if I should but just in case) I’m glad it’s helping other people but it doesn’t help and causes a lot more stress in my life that I don’t need. Fortunately I talked to my doctor today and I’m going to start to reduce my way off the meds (which I don’t really even think I need to do because they don’t do anything)"

Nugget March 28, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro 10mg for six months now. I did not really think I had depression and thought that I was struggling greatly with anxiety. Now that I am experiencing the difference I realize I was suffering from depression . It was a rough start at first. I found myself crying and honestly feeling worse. The first glimpse of it working came in around six weeks. I was scared to believe it. These days I have a happier base level. I do not feel overly happy or out of touch with my emotions. Actually have the ability to feel all of my emotions and not try to run from them. I still struggle with some loop thinking but it is not as bad as it was. Overall I am so incredibly grateful for this drug in my life. I coupled it with talk therapy and that made a huge difference to have someone tracking my progress and being a sounding board as I transitioned through the side affects. I hope to be able to quit someday but that will not be anytime soon as my quality of life is so much better."

Ana March 20, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "After a series of deaths I slipped into depression to the point that I didn’t remember what it was like to feel normal. Basic chores became an overwhelming nightmare. I was constantly thinking about death & cried at the drop of a hat. A year of therapy didn’t help. All I aspired to do was lie in bed. I used to have hobbies but depression robbed me of initiative. I started Lexapro 10 mg & felt a difference within a day. The first week I would wake up feeling hyperactive (I take it at 7 PM and would wake up at 2 am). That went away. I am shocked at how quickly I fall asleep now! I used to toss and turn for an hour trying to shut my brain off. I now fall asleep in 20 min & wake up feeling good. I no longer ruminate or let thoughts spiral out of control. I laugh & even go grocery shopping which before was too exhausting. I have energy and when I want to do something, I do it! I am so grateful for Lexapro. I didn’t know how much I was suffering, or how much my life was passing me by."

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Was suffering from depression. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro 2 months ago & now I have major anxiety & panic attack’s 24/7. Also feeling very foggy minded and not to mention the 20 lb weight gain!!. I do not like Lexapro one bit."

DeniseH (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"This is my second time on this medication. It causes extreme drowsiness for me, which honestly is the best thing ever. My anxiety and depression were causing me to only sleep 2 hours a night. In 15 minute naps. It was disasterous. Since I started taking it my anxiety gas decreased, I have the focus and desire to do things, and (most importantly) I SLEEP. I get a solid 8 hours but I have to take it right at bed time and no sooner as it puts me out fast. But it's a good trade off in my opinion"

Dorie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am very concerned since going on lexapro I have developed restless leg syndrome (RLS) at 65 years of age I am exhausted from lack of sleep and never experience this before."

Anonymous February 10, 2018

"My mum was given this drug from her neurologist for mild depression/focusing on bad events that happened in her life. 5mg 7 weeks ago and after the 1st week we started 10mg. She is in general a happy person, loves life, travelling. Unfortunately she got a herniated disk a few months ago and she couldn't walk properly or go out. I noticed that since she started taking the medicine every midday, she seems so much weaker when she gets up from bed after her midday nap and it takes her hours to get a bit stronger. She sleeps longer and when she gets up in the morning again she is weak can barely walk. She feels tired all the time.Its the drug making her feel this way? Even with her hernia she didn't have such an issue. Its been 7 weeks now, and I was expecting the side effects to stop. I talked to her doctor and he said to go back to 5mg and we will see from that. I also read all this terrible stories about how difficult is to stop taking this medicine and I believe this wasn't for my mum."

Nina1978 February 9, 2018

"This drug didn't help me at all with my depression. Instead I gained a lot of weight, was sweating like crazy, and they also rendered me useless downstairs. (Yes, I'm a male) It actually deepened my depression because of the side effects. I couldn't take the side effects so I stopped taking it after 6 months. It also took me 6 months to recover from the side effects after I quit taking the drug. I was afraid of a permanent PSSD, but luckily I gained my manhood back. (Drugs taken simultaneously: Escitalopram and Reboxetine)"

jonfin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medicine is the best. Cured me of depression with GAD, insomnia and OCD tendencies. First week or two were killers, definitely hard to get used to but started on 5mg at night on a Friday so I had 2 days to adjust a little. Now on 10mg for the past 2yrs. Just so much more balanced. I have sad, down or frustrating days but that shows that it still allows for normal range of emotions. In general it makes me calm, less reactive, smile and sing like I used to. Saved my relationship and helped me be more productive at work. Cured my insomnia. Oh sleep how I missed you!"

Ally 32 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started on lexapro 1 month ago and within the first few days I felt that my mood was stable. I started on lexapro because I felt sad all the time. I am on 5mg and I have just finished my first month. Week 2.5 I was out and I had my very first full blown panic attack. I have never had this before. After a few hours in the emergency unit at hospital they said they couldn’t tell whether the lexapro had started to work or the huge adrenaline state I had been in for some time had come crashing down and as a result I had my first major panic attack. The week following I am still experiencing small attacks. My mood is stable and hoping that the panic attack won’t happen again."

Pmr-74 January 22, 2018