User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Depression

Lexapro (escitalopram): "For 8 years I had depression which I did not realise I have. Tired after wake up, low motivated, lazy, cry for nothing, stressed easily, gained weight, low libido, insomnia, no social contacts etc. Until I asked help to doctor. I started with 10 mg for 1.5 month and from today 15mg. I am very happy now as I see hudge improvment - tiredness is gone, I can not cry actualy anymore (just can not), I engoy cleaning and organising home, playing with children, I am patient to children mistakes and loudness now again, motivated to improve life, social contacts are pleassure. First 3 weeks was awfull - felt sick, panic, depression, worthless, insomnia but now after 1,5 month I feel back in my skin! Happy. Libido is back again."

Jane77777777853 January 15, 2018

"I've been on this for a while now and it has made me a better person. Before taking it I had severe anxiety, depression, thoughts of morbidity, and anger issues. Escitalopram has made me more tolerant and more tolerable. The major side effect though is complete and utter exhaustion. I am constantly just drained of energy and have been using high doses of caffeine to compensate but that is no longer working and not healthy. My doctor is gonna try switching to a dopamine based drug completely or just adding a small dose of wellbutrin to my escitolapram regime."

Tired but tolerable January 12, 2018

"This drug has changed my mindset in the most positive way in just 1 month. I take 10 mgs before bed and I can sleep again without nightmares, I am able to focus better, I feel joy at the little things in life. I am so grateful for this medication."

Cantbelievehowgoodifeel (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This stuff helped me tremendously. I never realized just how bad my depression was until I started taking Lexapro and felt so much better. I actually have the DESIRE to do things, even schoolwork. I no longer have this sense of dread when I wake up in the morning, and I actually enjoy being around people more. I've even received compliments from family about my mood and how much better I am. Only regret is not seeing a doc to start this earlier."

Annie917 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "In the beginning, Lexapro seemed to work for me. My depressive moods seemed to not be as bad, and I was actually happy for a change. Then around October 2017, I entered perhaps one of the worst periods of depression in my life. I was crying almost 24/7, sleeping excessively, I felt empty inside, plus I felt this intense hurt and sadness for no reason. I have everything to be thankful for, but I couldn't bring myself to even feel happy. A few months later, I found out I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and that the Lexapro was intensifying the Depressive episodes. I urge anybody to use caution, if you end up taking this medicine. If you notice your depression has intensified, and you are on Lexapro, please get help."

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This was the 3rd antidepressant that I've tried and it has done wonders for me. I had no side effects compared to venlafaxine and fluoxetine when I first tried them before this drug. I also needed additional medications for my conditions. Been on this drug for two years and been good so far."

whippet121 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Took this drug for 3 years. During the last year I wanted to stop so started reducing my dose and I started going through the withdrawals - they were worse then opiate withdrawal. After the 3rd time I finally made it. Yeah I could of stayed on them the rest of my life but I don't like taking pills.Yes they help me through a very dark period. But wow the withdrawals are bad."

sunshine for real December 26, 2017

"I took Lexapro starting at 10 mg's topping off at 20 mg. In the beginning, yes Lexapro changed my life. After over 12 years of taking this medication my heart began to skip beats. I was taken off of it. The side effects have been HORRIBLE!! This is a nightmare drug! It has a black boxed warning which meaning it can contribute to YOUR DEATH!! It can cause irregular heartbeat, heart attack, shortness of breath, and hundreds of other side effects. I was so happy to be on it. It numbed me to nearly every mental pain and anxiety. Now that I am off of it, the side effects are worse than anything I had before I started taking it. You might think it's changed your life. I know I did. Just wait until it's time to come off of it. You will meet your worst nightmare."

mynameiskaren December 20, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Today is my 28th day on Lexapro. For the past 3 years or so I’ve been depressed whether I wanted to admit it or not. I had no motivation to do stuff that I once enjoyed doing. It got to the point to where my wife left me and I knew I needed a change. I’m 32 years old and also have had a generalized anxiety disorder. This stuff has helped tremendously with my wife leaving me and me finding myself again. The first 2 weeks on this kind of were a pain but once I made it to about 2.5 weeks in I started to feel great. I honestly don’t know where I’d be without this right now at this time in my life but I’m thankful I found it. I almost let the negative stories get to me but I’m so glad I kept with it!"

Joshhhhh December 14, 2017

"Already the first day, my headaches stopped and my tenseness in my body. My mood evened out, I woke up ready to take on the day. I have struggled with a mild depression / anxiety for several years after a stress collapse. Wish I had started medication much earlier, it would have saved me a lot of suffering. Already 5 mg helped. I now take 10 mg."

Faysu December 11, 2017

"I feel like I have tried every medication on the market for my depression and terrible anxiety. When a racing heart prompted me to visit my local emergency room, the Dr prescribed 20mg for "stress" (aka depression). This medication has changed my life. I feel like a generally content person when I take this. I stopped for a while as I went traveling and had forgotten to refill my prescription. When I got back, I figured I had survived a week without it I would just stay off of it. That was a mistake. Went back to the Dr and got back on it. Now, I'm feeling amazing. Please please please don't give up and try this medication!"

Meagabyte December 3, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Was on Cymbalta 60mg. for a few years for depression with all my other medications and the side effects causing dry mouth for all these years. Taking a depression medicine will cause your teeth to start going bad. So bout 7 months ago after a RN nurse told me about depression medicines having this side effect and that Cymbalta will cause my teeth to start falling out my mouth my doctor switched me to Lexapro 10mg. I have lost more teeth in the past 7 months than I did on Cymbalta 60mg. And I have started using mouth rinse for dry mouth. Cause I keep a dry mouth with all this medication I'm on. And still hurt everyday. Still depressed, still have anxiety at times. I have headaches, restless nights, pain and numbness in lower legs that can't be explained "

Countrygirlblues72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have tried every antidepressant on this planet, and I must say Lexapro is the best! It helps not only with my severe depression, but also my Anxiety and OCD. Please give this medication a try!"

Madman09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I like this med! I had severe anxiety and moderate depression. . I'm only on 5 mg to start but in 2-3 weeks I noticed a big change in balance, mood, less anxiety and depression. I'm still a little depressed and would like to go up to 10 mg. Perhaps 25-30 mg is too much but in smaller doses, gradually increased, is greatly changing my quality of life. PS Take in the morning. I wish you all well."

bambam1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I’ve been taking 10 mg for a few weeks now but I don’t think it’s helping. I cry myself to sleep every night. My parents notice a difference in my mood but it’s only because I’ve stopped showing emotion around other people. I save my feelings for when I’m alone."

Katalak November 3, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro gave me terrible nightmares. I jump out of bed while asleep. I tore both of my arms up and hit the closet door with my head. I scream in my sleep, I break lamps with my flailing arms while I am a sleep. Every side effect listed I have! I fall all the time, I stumble around. This is a terrible medicine!! Never again!! It seems to be taking forever to get out of my system after I stopped it (without my Dr permission). What happens now can not be as bad as the side effects I have!!"

memexyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been on lexapro for about 6 months. I started on 5mg then 10mg then 15mg which is what I am on now. For the first few weeks it lowered my mood but now I am a whole new person and it was completely worth it. I am so focused on work, enjoy socializing so much more now, appreciate music, it has really lifted my mood from a 4/10 to a 10/10. I still have bad days every now and then but nothing compared to before. My social anxiety has also almost completely gone and people at work comment on how confident I am. I started my job after about 6 weeks of taking it so they never knew me before. I think its really good how it has made me so focused and goal motivated too at work and in life, I am really happy I started this medication."

Lucci1985 October 17, 2017

"For the past 15 yrs I have taken a couple of medications for my depression and anxiety, I found out 5 yrs ago I have M.S. (Multiple Sclerosis) that really made my depression and anxiety worse. It seemed like the other medications my doctor put me on did not help much at all. My doctor changed me about 8 weeks ago to Lexapro and within the first 5 days I could tell a difference and so could my husband. I have not felt this good in 15 years this is amazing medication I could not imagine stopping this medication I look at the world a lot brighter now. I am going to tell the truth before my anxiety was off the chart I spent most of my days being very hateful I don't even know how people could stand to be around me."

Anonymous October 12, 2017

"I've been on medicine for last 6 years and it is wonderful. It helped me to come out of MDD, anxiety and insomnia with bupron. No side effects observed. The state of despair I am nothing/failure, world is not worth living, every where negativity,unable to enjoy pleasure..etc feelings have gone. Escitalopram with SNRI like bupron/prestiq has given good results."

shastry (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2017

"My doctor put me on Lexapro 6 months ago for migraines. It helped with migraines but ruined my life. I have slept every single day off from work, wear wet clothes to work cause I have no energy to put them in the dryer. Losing interest in things. Can't do ANYTHING. Feel like I have the flu or something all the time. My Dr reduced me to 5 mg and its not any better. This is a NASTY med! I learned a very valuable lesson - read upon a med prior to actually putting it in your mouth - even if a Dr prescribes it. Oh it helped with my migraines, but I'm not functional. Making mistakes at work, memory problems, haven't even picked up my phone in months to check messages. I wish I had never ever taken this so now my Dr is weaning me off ."

Migrainegal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

"Lexapro has helped tremendously with my depression symptoms. However, for me, it doesn't fully work for anxiety unless I couple with low dosages of xanax. The two drugs together make a world of difference in terms of anxiety and depression. I take 10 mg of each"

Myk2 October 5, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have taken this drug for two years. First at 20 mg for one year, and now at 10 mg. It worked starting in less than a week. It did get to the point where I was blitzed (sleepy) way too much at 20mg. It is a libido killer, that is true, sad to say. And I got fat. However, the antidote is to work out like crazy. I ballooned from 207lb to 222lb, and today I am now at 205lb & dropping. The drug makes you want to eat; I don't think the drug directly makes you fat. My depression went from a 9 out of 10 to a 1. My anxiety went from an 8 out of 10 to a 3. So, the drug is worth it. No there is no perfect drug, but if you want to be well, well...consider what I say, and best wishes as you work towards remission."

Wayne Lafontaine (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

"This medicine is amazing. I was on 20 mg and now I'm on 10. My symptoms were tremendous that you can't imagine. When I started taking this medicine I had a racing heart but the doctor tells me that is a sign that the medicine is working. The side effects went away in the first month and I got better with some aerobic exercices..5-10 mins a day. Its been 2 years on this medicine. This work fine. Don't be scared just patient and if you have panic attack , try to distract your self.. Good luck to all , and never give up guys !"

Neva give up (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2017

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had a terrible experience on this drug. It resulted in me having regular panic attacks, heart palpitations, caused me to become trapped in negative state and paranoid. I'm not one who reviews meds very often but this medication proved to be very dangerous for me. I spent a lot of time in a state of paranoia. My Dr did not listen to me when I kept stating it wasn't right for me. In the end I reduced my dose ( I don't condone this though ) and have been off it for around 4 months now. I can honestly say I'm doing much better , able to function, don't stay on states of paranoia etc. I'm also able to make clear choices etc."

Katbb September 25, 2017

"This is my second day taking escitalopram 10mg and I have fast heart rate, dry mouth and sleepy."

emelia2 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017