User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Depression

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 757 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 62% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Laura · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2021

“I’m 19 and this is the first anti-depressant I have ever taken. I have been taking it for about a month. I take 10 mg a day at night. I took half a pill for about a week and then was told to start taking a full pill. The first few days I took it I did have some mild stomach issues but I think it was because of something else, and it went away in a few days. I feel much more motivated and lifted up. I use to spiral pretty much everyday and cry everyday. Since I started taking it I’ve only cried a handful of times. When I get depressive thoughts I am able to just move on and not cry. It is really refreshing as someone who is over emotional and cries a lot. I feel excited for life and want to try new things. I’m also able to think more rationally when like doing CBT exercises and journaling. I also have anxiety, OCD and social anxiety. I do think it has helped with my anxiety. Overall, I would say I just feel lifted up and in a better state of mind.”

Clautrophile April 25, 2021

“I was put on this drug for dysthymia and social phobia, in combination with dextroamphetamine, which I took on an “as needed” basis. The dexies were effective at boosting mood and reducing social inhibitions, but could also increase anxiety. As for Escitalopram, I can’t say I noticed any changes for good or ill. I’m surprised by all the positive (and negative) reviews for this and other SSRIs, as my own experience and the data make me suspect these are little more than sugar pills. Still, if it’s working for you, fantastic. A goo effect is a good effect, right? On the other hand, if you’re not helped by SSRIs and their ilk, ask to try Nardil, which is like a laser canon to Lexapro’s pop gun. Why did I stay on escitalopram for years despite my skepticism as to its efficacy? I guess I thought “well, it’s not doing any harm...” Plus, as irrational as it sounds, while I wasn’t convinced it was helping, I was still afraid to go off it in case things got worse.”

Alice · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2021

“I can't say don't take this drug because every drug is different for everyone. It didn't work for me but it could work for you. It's so scary to try out new medications with the fear that your body might react weird or bad to it, but I tried a few and I eventually went on Fluoxetine which is generic version of prozac and that worked so amazing for me! This process is scary, but when you find the right one, it is life changing. ALSO, PLEASE GIVE THE MEDICATION TIME TO WORK!!!! You will most likely have side effects for the first 2 weeks or so. But week 3 or 4 you should feel a difference if it's going to work for you!”

Lural April 6, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After going into a deep depression after a divorce, with two young children to love, care for and support, I began having major anxiety attacks lasting all day all night long, I Was unable to sleep, I could not eat I lost 40 pounds my weight plummeted to 90 pounds I felt helpless, I useless, I’d almost lost all hope of knowing what joy was. I knew I was in trouble and I had to be honest with myself and get help. After being prescribed Lexapro within three weeks my entire outlook on life changed for the better, my energy came back I was able to sleep again. I beg anyone having trouble with depression please don’t feel embarrassed, don’t think you’re weak because you need help you are not.”

KA · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This pill changed my life. I was very skeptical to take it after reading about the terrible side effects. Indeed I had awful side effects within the first weeks including waking up shaking, increased anxiety and an increase in suicidal thoughts. In fact I begged the doctor to change me onto something else but he told me to stick with it. After 4 weeks I was absolutely transformed and I still honestly can’t believe the change it made to me. I’m no longer crying everyday, I’ve started enjoying all the things I used to and rediscovering myself. I’m no longer angry or unable to contain my emotions. I was in the position you were reading reviews and asking myself if this can really help me. It can! My advice is stick with it because the side effects can be heavy but for me it has changed everything - so much so that I felt I had to come back to write this in the hope of helping others that were in my position!”

Brandon · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medicine Lexapro has completely took away my anxiety and is slowly taking down the depression. It took about 8 days for these positive effects to take place, stay patient with this medicine and stay positive and it will change your life. The only side effects I had were drowsiness and decrease in sex drive but those effects are slowly going away. I get excited everyday knowing each pill I take is a step closer to full recovery. God bless!!!”

Flgfw · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I started taking Lexapro 6 months ago at a 10mg dosage the first few weeks I was extremely sleepy and still depressed but slightly better. I knew it would get worse before it got better (I read lots of reviews) but slowly but surely it started to work. I am exercising again and more social. I am in menopause and suffer from PTSD and anyone who has suffered does not want that dark feeling again. After 5 months My Dr. upped my dosage to 20 mg and it has helped even more. This dosage lasts all day and I just feel like my old self again. Be patient Lexapro gave me my life back”

Zo · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was prescribed Lexapro (Escitalopram) after complaining of severe moodiness after my bi-weekly testosterone shot was administered. The very first and last pill I will would ever take. I had a very extreme battle with Suicidal Tendencies - with just one pill! I drank so much water to help flush out of my system and after a full 24 hours later, I feel I'm out of danger. Please! Please!! Recognize the symptoms and fight through it. Get off of it immediately should you have similar reaction and notify your doctor. Hope I was able to help someone.”

Rjm2287 · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been having mood swings due to not being able to control my depression and anxiety. It got so bad that my boyfriend would welcome me with a hug as soon as I got home from work and I would snap at him to stop crowding me. Anyway, my dr finally put me on 20mg of lexapro and I have been the coolest cucumber ever. Every little thing that used to irritate me just ceased to exist in my mind. My mother said she missed how easy breezy I used to be and I feel like I'm finally back to my normal self.”

Liz March 13, 2021

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I've been on Lexapro for a year. I resisted it because I was afraid meds would take a toll on my overall health longterm (ie maybe give me hypertension, acne, weight gain, hair loss, etc). But I want to tell anyone that is hesitant to start SSRI's: stress/depression take a toll on your body. I was beating myself up mentally and emotionally, bringing myself to tears and destroying my self-esteem, telling myself I was worthless. This was my life. If you think that treating yourself like this isn't hurting your body, with all the terrible things stress/depression do on the cellular level, you're wrong. Potential side effects of SSRI's aren't as bad as depression. I feel so much better now. I don't tear myself down and cry every night. I don't catastrophize. I move on from things when they don't work out instead of taking a week to convince myself I've ruined my life. I am NOT "CURED", but that ISN'T what the SSRI'S are for. It's for giving you help, space, so you can work on yourself and heal.”

Idk · Taken for 10 years or more November 4, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I don’t want to get into detail with my experience. I read so many positive comments about this drug . All I can say if you plan to be on this drug your whole life then ok . But when it’s time to get off you will have the worst withdrawals for over 6 months easy , anger , suicide thoughts, deeper depression then when you first started. Can’t work can’t have sex everything stopped working . I took it for 15 years this has been roughest year by far mentally from getting off this drug . Been taking natural vitamins.... I’m just a person that trusted my dr to help me feel better and it did. But they can’t help you when it’s time to get off they will just put u on something else. Long term damage . I can relate to all of you going thru this . And the longer you take it the harder it will be to get off. I've been off it for about 6 months after 15 years I’m still working to get better everyday is hard . Just sharing my opinion”

Jolly February 3, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I’ve been on Lexapro for about three months now. I was prescribed 5mg a day by my doctor after experiencing ongoing depression and anxiety. The first week was really hard, my doctor warned me that my anxiety levels would rise and they did. I couldn’t sleep, I was extremely anxious and the depression had worsened as well. I was also extremely nauseous. After about a week those side effects began to subside. I’d say that after two weeks I started feeling a difference, it was easier to get out of bed and get through the day. After a month it was even better, I felt like those depression glasses had lifted and I was feeling like myself again. I have been feeling so energetic, determined, confident and happy. It’s important to realize that it isn’t a magic pill, all of my progress came with hard work and therapy, Lexapro just gave me a fighting chance. I'd also like to add that I still have bad days, But they’re not quite as bad. I have had no side affects since that first week.”

revolve156 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “This medicine literally changed my life. I had paralyzing anxiety about getting a new job and about my relationship. I was also so depressed that I couldn't get out of bed, didn't want to meet or make new friends and literally called in sick to work some days because I was so sad. My boyfriend and I ended up breaking up and I was so devastated with that along with everything else that I was prescribed to Lexapro 10mg. After about 1 week I could feel the difference, and in about 2 months it was like a dark cloud was completely lifted away from my head. I am the happiest I've ever been and I'm no longer anxious or worried about the future. I don't know if I would have survived my break up and all of my other worried/negative thoughts if it weren't for this medication.”

Mnyc · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Started using Lexapro 5mg and it only worked for a short time. Same with 10mg. Once I got to 20mg a day, it started providing me consistent relief for depression and generalized anxiety disorder. Feeling great daily now. Zero side effects. 10/10”

BK1562 October 22, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I suffered from constant level of anxiety since adolescence. In addition, my family life in childhood was a little turbulent. Later in life, after starting my own family and working hard in my career, depression slowly creeped in. I felt a constant feeling of despair. This went on for years as I still functioned to provide for my family. I slowly stopped doing the things I loved dearly such as fishing. I then realized through steady therapy and meditation for over a year that I still couldnt get rid of the despair feeling in my gut. This mental and physical feeling could not be eliminated. This result proved to me that what I was experiencing was not from my childhood, but it was my DNA. I was an anxious person with an increasing depression problem my entire life. I decided that I should try Lexapro. My doctor prescribed 5mg. I've been on the 5mg for 6 weeks. I actually started to feel true happiness again. I started fishing again.”

Trinak · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Spiral led into horrific depression with anxiety. After a couple meds I tried Lexapro. After a few weeks and some bearable side effects I felt a cloud lift and it kept getting better. At first I took max dose with Abilify and occasional Ativan, but eventually I was able to stop both of those. So here’s the hard part, it worked awesome for 8 years. The only side effects were 20 lbs weight gain and lessened manifold- a small price to pay when you felt how I did. But then I was in a period of insane stress and re-traumatized and suddenly the med would not work. It’s been a journey since, but I am so grateful for the quality of life I had for those 8 years.”

Cota9 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Lexapro has changed my life. I was reluctant to try a drug because in the past Zoloft and Paxil gave me headaches and made me feel foggy. I confess lexapro made me feel that way for the first two weeks, and then it was like I took sunglasses off and saw the world more clearly. It’s like I was living in a fog before. I have way more energy, feel happier and think more clearly. My only regret was not starting this sooner.”

My experience · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I used to overthink to the point where I could not sleep or think straight sometimes. I was just so exhausted I didn’t want to eat much it was terrible I don’t wish anxiety or depression on anyone. I started taking lexapro about 3 months ago and it has been awesome it makes me feel better and I can sleep better and my appetite is back!! If you experience negative overthinking you should try this !! Good luck !!”

Lauren Dani September 16, 2009

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I wasn't severely depressed but I was always CRAZY sensitive, flipped out and cried at the smallest things, had pretty bad anxiety for no reason and would think negative thoughts over and over until I couldn't sit with myself. I finally decided to see a psychologist who recommended I have a psychiatric evaluation- in which they prescribed Lexapro. They started me on 10mg for two weeks and bumped me up to 20mg, which I have been taking for the last 2 months. I can't even express the immense change I experienced. I have never felt so content in my life. It never changed my personality in a drastic way, but I feel very confident, I can brush things off easily, I don't feel stuck in life, I can actually have fun. I LOVE this medicine.”

Anxiety + Depression · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Let me start off by saying that Lexapro was the first medication that I went on to combat my anxiety and depression. At first I was optimistic about medication but after taking lexapro I was totally shaken up. It caused me to have severe mood swings, I went from the happiest I’ve ever been in my life, all the way down to rock bottom in not even 2-3 hours. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND”

Bowj January 12, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life.”

GoGirl July 19, 2018

Lexapro (escitalopram): “37 Female mom of 2. I have hormones imbalance, anxiety and occasional depression - genetic - first of all hang in there it takes a couple months for the full effect - I kept quitting because of the sexual side effects and never fully gave it time to work! hang in there after a few months I was back to my old self, high sex drive and amazing orgasms! - I don’t feel detached or numb, I feel in control, calmer and more focused. - I did not gain any weight, take the tablet after a meal. Previously I took it on an empty tummy and felt hungry all the time. Take a good probiotic and good multivitamins. Take walks & meditate. - drug did not ruin my creativity - I can sit longer with my children, connect with them and I'm less impatient, I am a much more empathetic and attentive listener. - this drug turned my life around. I suffered through my childhood and early adult years with definite low serotonin. - I sleep better! - my skin is better - stress free. I accept myself and love myself more. ”

Mataya · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I am a 24 year old woman who’s anxiety and depression has recently worsened to an extreme. Desperate for help I consulted my doctor she started me on Lexapro 10mg a day she told me to split it in half and take 5mg the first few days. It took me to the darkest place I have ever been honestly. The first day I was in the ER with a severe panic I attack, I was right back the next day. The reason I felt like I was having the attacks is because the medicine was causing a severe burning/tingling sensations in my arms and legs that would not stop. And my hands and feet would not stop sweating it made me feel like I had something else going on but everything came back normal. The ER doctors told me to hang in there and that things might get worse before they get better. But I honestly physically couldn’t take it. So I have stopped it. And kudos to you guys who did stay strong and are seeing the benefits from it now ❤️”

Lawman October 21, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “After 27 years as I police officer I retired. I have PTSD. The one shooting I was involved in, the dead bodies and all the other LE activities that comes with the job left me paranoid. I kept dreaming about more shooting, fighting in my sleep, EXTREME anger issues and of trusted with anyone wearing all black. After five weeks on Lexapro everything changed for the best. My family and I get alone much better. I’m no longer jumping and fighting in my sleep and I’m learning that just because people are wearing all black they are not committing a crime. The downside I’m not as interested in things like I use to be. My sex drive has went down and I do have a “ I don’t care attitude.” My wife wants me to stop taking Lexapro, because she said I’m too quiet. I want to stay on it because it feels good not to be angry all the time.”

good as gold March 11, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I have been on Lexapro for the past 10 years for generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It works perfectly and I have no side effects at this point. You have to try different ones to find the right one for you. Don't worry about long term use. Your goal is to return to a normal life. Don't listen to the negative talk and just remember how good you feel. That is what is important as life is too short to worry about all the people who are negative about something that helps you. Good luck to them I say!”

Tansy101 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2014

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Been off and on Lexapro for 4 years now. I dread having to go back on it as the side effects make me feel lousy - headaches, nausea, jittery, insomnia, lightheaded and anxious. After a week though I feel back to normal and my energy and love for life returns. Being a person who prefers not to take medication I know that sometimes you can fight too long before you need a helping hand - Lexapro helped me. If you do get side effects at the beginning I advise you to go with the flow, understand that it's the medication working & think positive - take care to you all.”

Grim · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2020

Lexapro (escitalopram): “Overall, Lexapro has been very helpful in treating my MDD and GAD. It has lowered my anxiety substantially and helped my cope with depression. While it has left me with severe insomnia, I would take that over MDD and GAD anytime.”

Mick July 11, 2019

Lexapro (escitalopram): “I had to go on this about 8 years ago, the standard 10mg for insanely bad OCD, depression and anxiety. The first time I took it I felt much better within two weeks. Two years later I tapered off it very slow. Usually 2.5 mg lower each month for 4 months. Recently I have not been able to control my depression and with current stresses I dropped so low again. I’ve now been back on Lexapro for 3 weeks, after two weeks you notice a bit or a difference. Mostly a numbing feeling over all your emotions. Currently I still feel the depression and the anxiety is awful in the morning so I’m going to try 15 mg and see how that goes. I’ve noticed when I drink Yerba Mate my anxiety gets much worse so I’m going to remove all caffeine for a while. Hang in there buds, I know how awful our minds treat us. Try and walk or jog as much as you can and eat as healthy as possible. I’m not saying that in a judgey way but it helps. Talk as much as you can and know it will get better.”