User Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Lexapro

Escitalopram has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 89% of those users who reviewed Escitalopram reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

8.6/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Escitalopram

Karen · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 5, 2021

“I have BPD and anxiety disorder and have been taking Lexapro for many years and due to the illness behaviour can be quite erratic so I have taken myself off my medication, but believe me those around me notice when I do, believe me with this medication I am completely manic and loose all touch with reality”

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2021

“Living with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) has been hard but until recently I found I was unable to cope anymore. I had tried several medications over the decades but could not take the side effects and found they didn't help at all. I have now been on escitalopram for 4 months with minimal side effects and I cannot believe how normal I feel. Better than normal actually. Highly recommend this medication.”

marge · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2021

“I've been off and on this due to drug abuse but now I’ve been taking it properly for about almost 3 weeks. I’ve noticed I’m not as manic and instead of having really high high and extremely low low points they’re just low. My anxiety is still at it’s worst though so I’m on lorazepam (ativan) it only really makes me feel nothing whereas when I was off it all I felt was sad and angry.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 25, 2020

“This is my third year on escitalopram, due to anxiety, depression and BPD. I’m usually 10mg dose but I’ve been bumped up to 20mg dose lately due to situations. This drug definitely does help but I don’t find it magically fixed anything, you have to work on yourself as well. I’ve never experienced any side effects from this medication and I wish everyone all the best on their journey :)”

Femme Fatale · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2019

“I have been on escitalopram for 2 years now and it has been an absolute lifesaver, all the rage, the anger and hatred is gone. I’m not riddled with anxious thoughts like I once was. I use the drowsiness to my advantage, so I take my pill before bed which is usually when my anxiety is the highest. I’m no longer snapping at my friends and family, I’m able to process my thoughts and verbally articulate what I’m thinking. Before my thoughts were always racing and I couldn’t find a way to communicate with people effectively. I thank the people who created this wonderful medicine that allows me to function in a semi productive manner.”

meow · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

“I have been scared of medication so many times, from feeling like I was on drugs (lol) or other weird side effects, as well as reading too many scary reviews online!! For years have been struggling with borderline personality disorder (BPD) and just broke down and decided to start on escitalopram and OMG. The first day sucks because it feels like your high on drugs, but then the next day wow, I know some people say it takes a while, but I noticed almost right away. I was happier, I was a little more stable, I didn't believe it! I thought I would crash at any time, but now it has been a month and I feel even better than before! I feel like a kid again, (sounds weird but thats the last time iI remember being hyper and happy all the time). Every one should give it a shot, I almost gave up and tried almost everything in the books. This saved me honestly wouldn't even mind staying on it forever! No weight gain, although I cant orgasm at all (that sucks) but hopefully that gets better with time!”

Plenism · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2020

“Been on 10mgs escitalopram for a month and a half now. I can see why people might feel flat or robotic on this medication, as it does reduce the intensity and duration of any and all emotions. Very few things stir me like they used to. I've experienced far fewer crying fits, anxious episodes, and blind rages wherein I scream, hurt people, and hit things like an out-of-control toddler; and when I do have my moments of emotional volatility, they're dulled and short-lived. My fiancé and closest friends have noticed a marked change in my behavior and mood. I'm overall more pleasant to be around, and I feel happier with who I am as a person. Only side effects I've experienced were heart palpitations while starting the meds for the first time, increased appetite, and intense sleepiness that has gotten better since I've started taking the medication in the morning.”

Shelly · Taken for 10 years or more January 28, 2020

“I'm 43. Was diagnosed with BPD multiple times in my late teens and early adulthood. For the first 6 years, I tried Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, and Zoloft. Finally, I tried 10mg Lexapro. For the first two weeks I felt great, even had a huge boost of energy. After my energy level stabilized, the drug mellowed my anxiety and depression between "episodes", for the most part. It took the edge off. After about a year or so, the drug started losing its affect. Then, the dosage was increased to 20mg. I've continued this dosage to the present day. It's hard to determine how much the Lexapro helps. I am a high-functioning BPD. In 20 years, I've gone from a debilitating, low-functioning state to more stabilized, quicker-recovering state. Most of my progress has been made by learning stress-relieving and communication skills and techniques, but I cannot disregard the impact of the Lexapro. I don't think I'd be able to do the work without the Lexapro taking the edge off the anxiety and depression.”

Calmed · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2019

“I've been on this medication (10mg) for the past 18 months and after a few days of tiredness and mild headaches, I felt relaxed, less irritable and energized. My adulthood had consisted of daily mood swings that affected my marriage, relationships with my kids and work colleagues. I can honestly say that has now stopped, however, since I felt so great I decided to have a break from taking the medication as we went away for a week and I had no tablets left and wanted to see if I still needed it. Well, unfortunately, a week later, my mood swings were back, and I started to self medicate with wine. Needless to say, I'm back on the medication.”

PrettyHappy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2019

“Been taking 10 mg for 3 months now, after 5 yrs on St John's Wort. Escitalopram has been incredibly effective - from the 3rd day I felt calmer and mentally quieter. Side effects were rough for around 3 weeks but have all resolved. Included serious fatigue and daytime sleepiness, disrupted sleep, generally feeling fluey & spacey. Some night sweats (minor) and difficulty with orgasm. No nausea. The thing I've noticed most is an almost complete absence of irritability. Just gone. And as a bonus the perimenopausal PMT has also gone (I'm 49). At this point I sleep well nearly every night, and that's after 10 years of serious sleep maintenance insomnia. Slower start to the day and in general I do less - I've realized how much of my activity was driven by anxiety. Around 2 kg weight gain in the first weeks with no change since. I've been formally diagnosed with BPD but have had two psychologists since say they think it's a misdiagnosis so might be anxiety disorder/depression being treated.”

Petesbaby October 19, 2018

“This medication has done amazing things for me!! I am no longer paranoid, my anxiety and emotional insanity is gone, and I no longer have racing thoughts at all!! For me this is a wonder drug. I don’t ride the emotional roller coaster anymore and don’t cuss my precious husband out anymore at all due to the rage. I am able to have a thought, reason and rationalize what I am feeling and then totally dismiss it. I no longer feel like a monster! Hallelujah!! The only side effect for me is yawning. I feel so calm now it’s unreal and I am still only on 5 mg a day. Gonna have it upped at my next appointment. I’ve been on it for about 1-1/2 months.”

kayladj · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2017

“My doctor wanted me to try an antidepressant. After several years of being non-compliant with my psychiatrist I agreed to try this drug with a new doctor. She started me on 10mg. It's only been 6 days and I've noticed a marked difference in my thinking and how I feel. Most of all my negative thoughts have stopped. I'm not sitting at home feeling paranoid or angry about anything, I don't get rage fits over little things since I started, I am able to get over anger so easy like within a couple of minutes versus 2 days. I feel more energetic. I feel rested when I wake up. I just had some nausea the first day which was bad. The nausea has subsided. I can't wait to see how I feel in 5-7 more weeks :). Thankyou science”

Lisa037 August 3, 2017

“It's the only thing I've found that helps with the impulsivity, anxiety and rage fits. It helps me function like a normal person. I do get side effects of having trouble getting to sleep and being a light sleeper with no dreams and yawning a lot. When first starting it I also experienced nausea for the first few days.”

Wow that’s better · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 28, 2020

“I suffered from anxiety, depression, and all the explosive BPD symptoms for most of my life. I struggled to trudge through in misery, each day feeling like a bad dream. I finally talked to my doctor about Cipralex and boom a miraculous change. I am almost totally in remission. I love being a great parent and spouse! I hope it works for you too! Yay Cipralex.”

2323london · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

“When used escitalopram in conjunction with Abilify, the difference was, well I was going to say night and day. But basically the difference was stability.”

Anonymous December 2, 2016

“My brother told me about how it helped him and it sounded just the ticket. Been on it for about 6 months and I no longer get furious in a nano second. Much better for me and the kids”

Sam · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 16, 2021

“Been taking this for about 5 years. I suffer from BPD, PTSD, anxiety, and depression and find that it really helps.”

anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 14, 2020

“I've been taking Escitalopram (Sipralexa 10mg/day) to treat mood swings and anxiety for about a year now, and I've never noticed any effects whatsoever. Neither the main effects, nor side effects.”

Gg December 30, 2018