User Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Fluvoxamine has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 301 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of those users who reviewed Fluvoxamine reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Persistent Depressive Disorder  Off-label 10.0
Trichotillomania  Off-label 3.0
Summary of Fluvoxamine reviews 6.9 301 reviews

Reviews for Fluvoxamine

banana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2021

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have been on it a month and I feel like it is possibly going to change my life! I didn't think it would work but I can feel thoughts pop into my mind and sometimes let them go. I am still compulsive, but less so. I feel happier and not panicky and worried almost all of the time. It is sedating and I think I feel less motivated, though, but I am not sure if it because I am less high on nerves driving me on all the time and now depression is bringing me down or if it is the drug.”

xiaotiantian · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2021

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I had emetophobia and PTSD, took lexapro at first but felt extremely nauseous which triggered my phobia. Then switched to fluvoxamine, only sleepiness and dizziness at the first two weeks, and slight nausea which was totally bearable. It worked after a month on 50mg (combined with 15mg mirtazapine), the somatization faded and I felt much more calm when facing triggers or traumatic memories.”

TT · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2021

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Luvox took a few weeks to work, but boy has it worked. Anafranil worked better for OCD but my insurance won’t cover it anymore. Anafranil was a little 10 rating but Luvox is a pretty good substitute.”

Woofy06 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Been through a lot of meds and Luvox was the one that worked the best for social anxiety / GAD. (For me anyways). When it worked, it almost completely knocked out my anxiety. Hope to give it a re-try to see if it will work for me again.”

strawberry December 23, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I was having extreme chronic suicidal ideations that were getting more frequent and intense. I just started this medication last week after trying a long list of things that had not worked. I am feeling so much relief, I never knew it was possible to not feel so flooded with emotions all the time. I was having suicidal thoughts almost ever 15 mins and now I have peace. They're finally gone. I didn't know how much longer I could take, this drug truly saved my life.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I took luvox for one day. My OCD had been getting better because of ERP and I knew my OCD theme was just OCD. However, when I took luvox I literally felt like my OCD came to life & it was worse than ever. It dramatically worsened my OCD, I literally felt psychotic & I could barely sleep that night.”

Babydashie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I've been on Luvox for around five to six months. I'm taking 150mg and it is NOT working at all. Intrusive thoughts and OCD are worse than ever. I really am considering taking myself off this horrible medication.”

vettgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This medication helped me a lot. I had to start on a very low dose (10 MG) because my body is extremely sensitive to SSRI medication. After I got used to it, we increased to 20 MG and now on 20 MG and have seen gradual improvement in my repetitive thoughts and actions. It has helped my mood a lot too even when things seem to get very stressful.”

Emina November 22, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have been on Luvox for 4 years now and it has medicine worked for me very well for OCD. I almost have no anxiety anymore. The downsides are that I have had loss of libido, constipated all the time and insomnia. I haven’t had any problems with weight gain like other antidepressants.”

Tiny · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2020

For Depression: “They say fluvoxamine is quite a sedating SSRI, and I would concur. Even though it was co prescribed with wellbutrin for depression, I was falling asleep in the afternoons while on this. The break in wasn't nice either - very dry mouth and a lot of nausea. It lifted my severe suicidal depression, but didn't improve my optimism or motivation. I just felt nothing. I didn't care about anything at all and basically stopped trying. Generally don't recommend and prefer prozac, which is more stimulating”

Anonymous November 17, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Luvox boosts your mood and so you feel less anxious.”

Leboebi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I’ve been taking Luvox for almost 2 months now. I’ve realized that I worry less considering my OCD tendencies where all I do is think of the worst possible outcome. It at least steers me away from that. But I do feel extremely fatigue in the morning where I have to drag through life until the half life of so comes up so it will be less of an impact. I just moved up to 75mg and I think I want to go back down to 50mg because I am extremely tired and almost fell asleep at work even after seven hours of sleep. Over all it is not bad but not the best. I’ve taken many SSRI, SNRI, psychotics for bipolar 2, OCD, anxiety, and depression so it gets frustrating when you feel like you can’t find the perfect match.”

EA November 10, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “Was put on a combination of luvox and Prozac because Prozac was keeping me up. Luvox made my anxiety worse than before any medication. I was extremely agitated and even the sound of a vacuum nearby would make me tear up because it just seemed too overwhelming and I needed every ounce of strength in me to not scream out my frustration. Didn't work for me at all but everyone is different.”

SNW November 8, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “This fluvoxamine medication made me numb. I lost interest in all the things I use to love doing. I couldn’t get out the bed in the morning. Everything aggravated me. Recently I stopped taking it and I feel more positive about life. I’m actually enjoying the activities that use to enjoy again. I can get out the bed with no problem. My motivation is back. Luvox isn’t for me.”

ocd man · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Fluvoxamine has been beneficial for the OCD obsessing and horrible anxiety I had been feeling. The issues with it are bad heartburn and tiredness/sleepiness throughout the day. I have been on it for about a month and a half. I have added an anti-heartburn OTC medication to combat the heartburn. I am going to give this a try and if I cannot tolerate the side effects within the next 3-6 months, I will try something else. I also tried the extended release version at the same dosage. This didn't help the OCD as well and I was left with some anxiety. The heartburn was a bit better but nothing to celebrate about. The tiredness/sleepiness remained as well.”

Male ED Luvox Exp · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 26, 2020

For Anorexia/Feeding Problems: “Of the conditions I was diagnosed with, the most concerning to me was the constant binge eating and purging and incessant thoughts about my appearance, relationships, future, etc.. I have to say after years off and on different medications fluvoxamine is the only one I stuck with other than Prozac, which I took many years ago and stopped sadly. It’s very important you take this constantly. I take 100mg morning and night. I can say that this medication along with Vyvanse, eating at regular intervals, and my therapist has really helped me. I truly cannot wish my mental state a year ago on my worst enemy. These medications undoubtedly helped me manage so much since then. Try it”

anxietygal · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This medication fluvoxamine is a godsend for OCD, my obsessive thoughts reduced by 90-95%. I've been on it for a little over three years, and it only gets better with time. My ONLY issue with this is I find myself losing a lot more hair than usual... I never really noticed it until a year or so ago, but I strongly suspect it's the Luvox. All other blood work is normal (vitamin levels too). I know there have been a couple of articles on SSRI hair loss, esp. with Luvox, so I thought I'd put it out there. And there is slight drowsiness, which is totally fine for me because it chilled me out (I'm a high energy, anxious person), but if you struggle with depression this might be something to consider, as it is sedating. For me, it's been great, and I wish I had this stuff back in high school!”

the furine · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Considering quitting Luvox / Fluvoxamine. I’ve been on Luvox for 9 weeks on 100mg. Increased dose to 200mg since 10 days ago and considering giving up on the medication as I feel it’s not helping me. I’m not sure what to do, whether I should stick to the increased dose or just give it up right now.”

Tired · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

For Depression: “Started Fluvoxamine not too long ago. It really messed me up, and I had to stop taking it after only 2 doses. Constant thoughts racing, my heart was beating out of my chest, I breathed out of my mouth, I couldn't sleep, and sometimes I'd start crying because I was so frustrated with the lack of sleep. Sometimes I'd lose myself, staring off into space and blink once every 30 seconds like a zombie... Stomach pains and headaches followed as well. Everyone's different, but for me, it was awful.”

TOLF · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “After the first night on fluvoxamine I woke up the next day with cotton mouth. The next day I was urinating every thirty minutes without anything that would quench my thirst. The third day I felt like I was getting physically sick. The fourth pill night, I had insomnia and was up about four hours after my usual bedtime. My mind was racing and I was exhausted all the way through half the next day. When I did fall asleep I woke up twice with incredible paranoia. I felt like I was on some kind of stimulant, and an odd feeling I’ve never felt mentally. Totally did NOT like it. Stopped taking it after the fourth pill. I’m BP 2, GAD, panic disorder, OCD.”

Zeke September 20, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I took fluvoxamine 200 mg daily for 6 years for OCD/generalized anxiety disorder, but now that I've weaned off I don't think it helped at all with that, or only a little. However, it gave me non-24 sleep disorder. This is apparently a very rare sleep disorder that only blind people usually get, but I'm not blind. With this sleep disorder I was going to bed 1 hour later every day, so that I might be going to bed at 11 PM today, but 12 days later I'm going to bed at 11 AM. I would go "around the clock" within a month. It was terrible. That lasted for the entire 6 years I was on fluvoxamine, but I had no idea what caused it. I thought I had a neurological problem, or my circadian rhythm was messed up. Maybe I needed melatonin or light therapy or expensive sleep therapists. Nope. As soon as I weaned off the Luvox a few months ago, my sleep schedule went back to almost normal, the way it was before Luvox. Apparently this is a very rare side effect on this drug...or maybe not?”

Jake · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I felt like fluvoxamine made me emotional and kind of angry. It was not good for me and I had to stop taking it after a short time. Only other medication that did this was Cymbalta. Im not sure of the connection but I have been on what seems like EVERYTHING at one time or another over 50 years.”

John · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Medical Student experiencing OCD since 9 years old. Luvox is Lifechanging for OCD. Begin with this for OCD. Should it not work, don't despair, everyone is different. You will find your solution eventually. For OCD Luvox is the place to start. Lifechanging. OCD dropped from 13 hours a day to 5 minutes. Lifechanging.”

Doggie01 · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: “On this for Depression and anxiety, First couple of days on Luvox made me feel very flat, almost more depressed but without the crying. On the forth day it made me feel so physically sick. Diarrhoea, nausea, weak, shaky, laboured breathing, faint. I felt like I had been poisoned, stopped right away. After doing a bit of research it studies show it has a 40 percent chance of giving you gastrointestinal side effects. Very angry at the psychiatrist for prescribing me this after telling him my anxiety manifests in a tight shivering ball in my stomach. ”

Lilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have OCD, depression, anxiety and I switched to Luvox in early April 2020 and recently tapered off and started Trintellix. I’ve also been on Lexapro, Prozac, Pristiq, and Trazadone. Anyways, Luvox made every aspect of my mental health worse. I was crying all the time, very irritable, crazy mood swings, and my anxiety was worse and worse as I went up on my dosage. I stuck it out for a while because I know medications can make you worse before better but I was miserable. All of these symptoms got worse when I had to taper off 200mg to 50mg and then stop. I’ve been on 5 antidepressants and Luvox, was by far my worst experience. Truly made me worse. I was told it was the “gold standard” for dermatillamania (skin picking disorder) by my doctor and saw no improvement in that. This drug is not for me. I’ve been on Trintellix for just over 3 weeks and wow... I’m feeling so much better.”