User Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Also known as: Luvox, Luvox CR

Learn more about Fluvoxamine.

Persistent Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 3 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 7 reviews 5 medications

5.1
Summary of Fluvoxamine reviews 154 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I once had a horrible experience in my life losing a friend but then I got over it but met another friend BUT my mind was making me think I would lose my new friend, like my old friend who stopped being my friend without telling me. Anyways I found out I had OCD & I started luvox. It did take a few extra weeks then expected but over the last month I've began to really not worry & have the compulsive consistent non stop worries! I've definitely came a long way. Especially that my friend assured me if he would stop being my friend he would let me know"

Koolken92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I know this medicine is supposed to be great but the internal tremors are driving me crazy. I've been on luvox for a week now and the tremors make my anxiety 10 times worse! I also have a raspy voice that comes and goes."

Bellafarber October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "This really helps my anxiety. I would have random bouts of anxiety throughout the day and this has reduced it by probably 90%. The interesting side effect I have from this medication is that I talk a lot in my sleep since starting it. It's not a bothersome side effect. My husband and I think the things I yell out are funny. I recommend this medication for anxiety."

OpieWinston October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Don't let the bad reviews fool you! I've tried about 10 different antidepressants. This one's the best. Yes there is no "perfect pill". But this one's close to it. I finally have had a break with my obsessive thoughts. I definitely feel less anxious and depressed. This is the only SSRI to not make me feel numb. And the only effective anti-depressant for me. It doesn't make me feel jittery either. When I first started this medication I had issues with drowsiness, insomnia and sexual side effects. But all of that went away in a months time. I really hope this medication doesn't disappear! It's quite literally a life saver. So thankful to whoever made this drug."

FSIBP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This was very bad for me. It just stopped my thoughts and feelings. I also had a lot of side effects from this tablets, like shaking hands and I had no feelings. I went through my day doing my daily routine but had no thoughts and felt like a zombie. This tablet made me worse than before I took it."

PRAVIN KUMAR FROM INDIA. September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I take Fluvoxamine ER 150 mg and it has completely removed my OCD. It makes me a little tired but it is worth it for being symptom free. This is the only SSRI that worked for me."

Sk41453 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "I took Luvox for over a year at a low dose. I decided that I should try being off of it, and I took a VERY long time to work my way off of it slowly, decreasing by 50 mg after a week at each step down. Even so -- I experienced something that I would call "flashbacks" for almost 18 months after stopping the medication. It was the most scary thing I ever experienced, and I had no control as to when it would happen -- and it often happened at work or while driving on the commute home (I would pull over and try to get myself together, it was horrible). Needless to say, I never want to take this drug again. I was surprised when the MD who prescribed it said that he thought that the flashbacks were because I needed the medication. No way."

Joypup (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking Luvox since 1998. I always knew something was strange about the way I acted growing up lol. As I grew up, married, and had a child, life became very scary to me. I worried constantly, fearing death for those around me. I suddenly had an episode of what is referred to as an anxiety attack. I thought I was dying... it was a horrible experience, and before I finally went to a social worker seeking help (and that was very hard for me to admit to myself) I'd had a couple more of these anxiety/panic attacks... So... the social worker diagnosed me with OCD. She worked along with my M.D. whom I still see to this day and trust very much & decided to give the medication she recommended to him for me a try. ... continued"

Foondigirl (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Was switched to luvox from lexapro since we found out my anxiety and depression is stemmed from my OCD. Ruminations and cleaning OCD tendencies. I cannot explain how INCREDIBLE that has completely flipped my mindset off (in a good way). I no longer need to take my high doses of xanax to sleep, I do not need to take xanax during the day, I also do not need to take my adderall to concentrate anymore. I know this is an older drug, but I wish I would have known about this before the lexapro!"

teacherteacher14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started on 50 mg for a week and didn't feel anything except loss of appetite and anxiety. Doctor said that was not a therapeutic dose and upped my dosage to 100mg. Four days into the 100mg dose and I am a wreck. I had bad panic attacks, extreme nausea, and the shakes. I did throw up as well. While I suffer from thought compulsions, I also deal with generalized anxiety disorder. This did not help at all and made me worse. Now I am back to 50mg and working my way off... horrible experience and feel sick. If you are looking for an anxiety med, DO NOT use this!"

Stephanie anxiety July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was prescribed this medication when I was 14 for OCD and panic attacks. During my time on it I took between 150 and 200 mg and had a very negative reaction. The medicine made me unbearably tired, so much so that I experienced visual hallucinations due to such extreme exhausting. Also, I now have major gaps in my memory from that time. I think Luvox can be effective, but be careful with it, especially if you're young and/or very small (I was less than 100 pounds at the time so you can imagine how I'd react to a dose like that). It got rid of many of my anxiety and OCD symptoms, but at what cost? By far the strongest SSRI I have ever taken. Tread carefully."

mary9090 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "best drug for OCD but dose must be 200mg morning and night"

marlinxx25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was given Luvox a few months ago after unsuccessful attempts with Prozac, paxil, and Lexapro. I had heard so many promising things about Luvox, and it seemed to be the miracle drug for many people with OCD. For me, however, it was an absolute nightmare. Possibly the worst drug I've been on. I was on a low dosage, can't remember what, but even then the side effects were unbearable. I threw up every morning for two months straight taking this stuff. The day I stopped taking it, this ended. I also had sleep problems with this medication, and have never had sleeping issues in my life. I have since switched to Clomipramine and it is working WONDERS compared to Luvox. That just goes to show every one responds totally different to drugs."

ocdman July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I am a life-long sufferer of OCD - started when I was 7-8 years old when OCD wasn't even a common word or diagnosis - am now 52. I tried many drugs in the 1990s - most had awful side effects. I found Luvox in 1994 (from a knowledgeable MD) and it helped. I managed to live a productive life. I stopped taking it 5 years ago - thinking I could use my life skills to cope with OCD and anxiety, but learned behavioral and coping skills can only work to a certain extent in a person whose brain chemistry and/or neurons are not functioning correctly. My doctor recommended I get back on it, so I am starting it up again. For what its worth: therapy can greatly help an OCD victim - and IMO the best therapists are the ones that have or had OCD themselves."

PJK Grizz (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I took luvox after coming off sertraline for bad side effect, my main problem are insomnia and I can't sleep at night after I had my baby 6 month ago. I started 1st on 25 mg for about 3 days and after that 50mg for the next 2 weeks. I can feel the different in my anxiety but sleep and mood not improved. My pdoc increase my dose to 75mg , but it seems to make me even worst. Then after 2 week my pdoc increase the dose to 100mg. I can feel the difference but not in good way. My moods are still low and I just don't wanna do anything. My sleep also has not improved. I'm struggling every day. I developed new instrusive thought too. I can't hold it anymore because this AD do make me worst than before. Bad AD !!!!!!!"

azrwty June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on it from 2 months for my anxiety and its working pretty fine but I've decreased libido and low sexual drive and its concerning for a young guy to have this sort of side effects. I am gonna consult my doctor about this"

PalashT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was first put on this med in 1995 to deal with my OCD which manifests itself in compulsive negative thought and inability to overcome negativity, as well as occasional wishing I would die and suicidal thoughts (never acted upon). Due to frequent professionally-caused moves around the world, periodically Luvox was unavailable to me, so I was placed on alternatives such as Zoloft and others, all of which had heavy side effects. The best thing for me about Luvox was my ability to cope, no sexual side effects, and also the ability to still feel, all of which other drugs (especially Zoloft) prevented, leaving me feeling like a zombie. Luvox let me be me without my OCD and generally with it, I am a happier, more positive and creative person."

TLBW May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Been on Luvox for 270 days and it's been good."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I had attempted suicide and was convinced my life was over prior to being on this, it saved my life plain and simple. I take risperdal to augment the effect of luvox. If you find the luvox isn't working entirely try adding on an antipsychotic, it did wonders for me. I have schizophrenia and OCD, so having an antipsychotic is absolutely essential. But yeah, Luvox has done wonders for me. It may take a few months before you feel the full effects though. I just got raised to 200mg and so far so good. Thank you Luvox."

JonSnow2013 March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've been on fluvoxamine for about 5 years. I was put on them when I was 12, I was diagnosed with transformational obsession (fear turning into people) . Fluvoxamine reduced my OCD thoughts for about 3 years and I was so happy, which was great! Clearly starting about 2 summers ago I feel they have become less effective and however hard I try I cannot maintain a level of happiness. I have constant a undertone of anxiety and my OCD thoughts are starting to come back full force (every minute), however for a long time I have just felt confused, questioning the meaning of things and I just wonder whether this is correlating with the tablets. I have no reason to be sad, and I really try to be happy! "

MKtraveller March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was recovering from severe PTSD linked to bipolar 2 and autism spectrum disorder. I lived in a sort of dual reality, with violent images of past trauma continually playing into the present. Every thought stopping technique and medication failed to solve the problem until Fluvoxamine was added to the mix. For me, it stopped the images immediately. I was finally able to smile again! And I do not recall experiencing any particular side effects. Of course, I always insisted that my doctors start me on low doses, as side effects were a definite concern. Everyone is different. But for intrusive thoughts and images, I would definitely recommend that this medicine be given a try. What does not work at all for some may work wonders for others!"

RHB1 March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "It totally solved my Severe OCD and , to some extent, social anxiety"

Reeme March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Luvox for many years, it has normalized my emotions/anxiety levels. I have gone off it once or twice but depression & anxiety have once again flared to the unbearable. I sometimes feel tired but I also have fibromyalgia so that could be causing it. I often have a dry mouth & experience low libido but nothing as bad as the hopelessness I felt when not on it - Luvox has improved the quality of my life"

SVeeBee February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I stated on Fluvoxamine 5 years ago. Then when fluvoxamine 100 mg extended release came out I switched to it. I've been experiencing sporadic low grade fevers, intestinal cramping, diarrhea and red eyes. I've been through years of testing and finally came up with an answer Fluvoxamine. This medication interacts with many other medications and can cause serious and fatal side effects. This medication is extremely hard to wean off of. It helped my depression initially but now has caused me more depression."

Ed K (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This may be the most effective drug for OCD (or a close second to clomipramine [ANAFRANIL]). It is inexpensive, and for me worked within a week to calm down intrusive thoughts and lifted my overall mood. I have been on and off this medication 3-4 times, and it worked each time to save me from crippling depression. That said, like all SSRIs, this medication caused sexual dysfunction (difficulty having an orgasm, delayed ejaculation, erectile dysfunction), which was a deal breaker for me, even with OCD. I will say, however, that IN MY EXPERIENCE, the sexual dysfunction caused by fluvoxamine was not as bad as the dysfunction caused by paroxetine [PAXIL], sertraline [ZOLOFT], or Anafranil."

RWi February 1, 2017