User Reviews for Fluvoxamine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Fluvoxamine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Bela · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

“I’ve been on Luvox (150 mg) for 2 months due to OCD and anxiety and it has been great! My obsession with negative thought went away and I don’t ever remember I had them! I don’t have any more anxiety in my chest, is incredible! It also helped me with my appetite and mood. The only down side is that for the first month I was really really tired and slept almost all day. But the drowsiness went away after the second month.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2020

“fluvoxamine has been an excellent medication for OCD! Takes a while to work. You need to be patient! The results are amazing!”

Anonymous July 20, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “29YO FE with Harm OCD. I started taking Celexa when I was 16 years old for around 6 years & then switched to Lexapro. Celexa and Lexapro both worked for me with Lexapro being the champion of the two. Eventually the Lexapro did not work anymore. I experienced panic attacks, aggressive violent thoughts & high anxiety. I recently switched to Luvox but not without initial hesitation. I tried many different medications that led up to Lexapro with many that didn't work. I am glad that I gave Luvox a try! It was slow weaning down from 20mg of Lexapro while increasing up to 100mg Luvox. Now the obsessive and compulsive thoughts are more fleeting and less sticky, they do not bother me as much anymore. I do not have the anxiety that I once had. One drawback that I experience after taking Luvox for a couple months is...TIREDNESS. Very tired throughout the day, sleep more than usual and take plenty of naps. Overall this medication works for me and I hope that it will for you too.”

Republicguitarist · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2020

“I took fluvoxamine medicine for OCD. Im a rapid absorber of medicine. I found that this medicine did slightly help with OCD but the side effects were pretty rough. I had overwhelming anxiety, sweating like crazy, and it caused me to start mood cycling. One day I would be in almost euphoria the next so down I couldn't even continue at work. And like clock work the next day I would cycle. Also the half life is 13 hours so if you take it at night it wears off by 4pm and you start withdrawing, big no for me.”

GRMagic · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 30, 2020

“I have suffered from severe OCD for many years been put on many medications that did not work Luvox-Fluvoxamine generic version of Luvox is what I found worked wonder for my OCD. It takes time you need to give it time I started with a small dose for a couple of months then used then the dose was doubled couple months later and this continued until my dose was at 300MG 150 morning and 150 at night and my OCD is barely noticeable any longer. After trying many different medications this is the only one that helped with my OCD. It took me a while for this to work and with every increase in dosage, my OCD was better until I reached 300 MG and now I feel great and am in control of my life once again.”

Hospital Patient#409 · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2020

“Prescribed fluvoxamine in mental hospital for OCD with Abilify. It was very difficult to tolerate. Had lots of panic attacks especially before sleep. Still have to take Valium and Ambien to help me sleep and function during the day. Depression is improved, but still waiting on the OCD part. Too early to tell, therefore, I will write another review in 8 weeks. Other symptoms include nausea, palpitations, tiredness, and anxiety.”

ObsessingLess · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 12, 2020

“I have to credit this medication with saving my life. Over the past 13 years, I’ve been on over 30 different medications. Every SSRI, SNRI, ketamine, even the antipsychotics. When those failed, I had ECT. My OCD was so severe that I was hospitalized twice for suicidal ideation. I was unable to work, unable to finish my degree because I couldn’t stop obsessing. I was miserable. Now I’ve been on Luvox for 2 years. I’ve gotten married. I have a job and a house. Things that I never thought it would be able to have. Yes, life is still a daily challenge, but it’s not unbearable. Luvox is the only drug that has calmed my OCD. 150mg. The only side effects are nausea and complete loss of libido. Small prices to pay sanity.”

A Vulcan · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 8, 2020

“While outwardly successful and happy, for 30 years I'd only known life as focussing on my deficiencies and wanton risk taking with a white hot rage against myself. On starting fluvoxamine, I had 1 week of nausea - and then the climb to awesomeness began... I can't imagine life without them now! I have *complete* control over my thoughts. I've always loathed the control my emotions had over me - I can now turn them on and off at will. On, when I should be compassionate or loving, off at all other times. I keep my head - always. Awkward social encounters make me think: "curious..." for a moment, then I can choose to discount the thought and move on. Despite the usual marital stresses of money, sex etc: I can shrug and accept events as they unfold. I can choose to discuss points with *zero* emotive content. I use my ability to regulate my emotions as the guide to my dose. I started at 100mg, spent 6 months at 200mg, and I've been at 150 for the past 2 years.”

G May 2, 2020

“Before taking this fluvoxamine, I would pick at my face until I looked horrifying. I was 14. People used to ask me if I had measles. Whatever I tried, I couldn’t stop. It was an embarrassment to go to school, and taking Luvox was a last resort. I really didn’t have much choice. Luvox improves my life immensely and my life goes badly when I go off it. I’m now 26. I’m very stable at the moment. But I’ve never had an orgasm. I thinking about trying to go off it after all these years. It’s frustrating because it helps me so much, I need it, but I want to enjoy sex.”

Nessa · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“The worst poison you could possibly take. It stops you sleeping at night leaves you tired during the day does nothing for intrusive thoughts ”

Yanni · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2020

“I was on this medication for about a year and it helped a little with OCD repetitive disturbing thoughts and a little with anxiety. However it gave me a lot of fatigue, making driving and working a challenge, as well as severe constipation. That is why I had to stop taking it. Coming off of it was extremely difficult as I got strong zaps, tremors and dizziness for 2 months straight that interfered with my job and just about everything else. I wish I could have stayed on it without the symptoms.”

Kaod509 April 6, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Luvox changed my life. It took away the guilt I have felt my entire life. Remember, it is important to go to therapy prior to starting a medications. I specifically went to exposure and response prevention therapy for 8 months prior to starting this drug. This medication is a miracle for those experiencing severe OCD and more specifically, instructive thoughts. What thus drug does is lessen the amount of intrusive thoughts you have and allows you to have a normal reaction to the thoughts. Please note that it does not take the thoughts away completely, it is not meant to. This drug also worked very quickly. I personally find it important to gradually increase the dose every few weeks to a month. I have had no side effects, except for some difficult falling asleep. I am so grateful I found this, highly recommend!”

BrenoBaptista · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 18, 2020

“Well, after 5 years struggling with severe OCD (31 points on Y-BOCS) and 5 different drugs (2 SSRI's, 1 TCA's, 1 antipsychotic and 1 benzodiazepine) with plenty of side effects and not a satisfactory response I gave fluvoxamine a go. Long story short, had a 75% decrease on my Y-BOCS score, meaning "very much improved" (I went from 31 points which means severe OCD to 8 points which means mild OCD). With bibliotherapy (aka reading plenty of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Metacognitive Therapy Books) I've achieved complete freedom from OCD, being clinically healthy. Only downside is that fluvoxamine gave me extreme drowsiness which I counter with 150mg/day of modafinil (that's why I gave 9/10).”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Hello, My son takes luvox in a small dose to lessen OCD but if we increase his dose it makes his OCD WORSE...I do want to share that he had a sudden onset of OCD OVERNIGHT! Turns out it is from LYME DISEASE and Bartonella co-infection which causes PANS - Postimmune Neurological Syndrome! Strep, Lyme and other bacteria can cause this...If OCD medicine doesn't really work, check with your doctor and ask about PANS LYME or PANDAS from Strep...”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2020

“This drug fluvoxamine has drastically improved my OCD symptoms, but there have been side effects that I'm getting sick of after almost three years. It has really messed up my sleep. Ever since I had begun taking it I either sleep way, way too much, or I can't sleep at all. Some days I can't think of anything except taking a nap, despite having slept an adequate amount of time the previous night. It really helped me be bold, and I don't get nervous about things the way I used to. It's getting to the point, however, where I don't care about anything. The OCD symptoms are gone, but I'm learning what depression feels like. It gave me memory problems as well. Overall this medication has been wonderful and I don't feel OCD symptoms very often. When I do, they are easy to dismiss. I'm ready for a break from the side effects though, so I'm gonna go off soon.”

JMC41996 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

“At its core I am being prescribed this for OCD, ruminations, and my eating disorder (restrictive eating and bulimia). I have been on this medication for almost two months along with Ritalin. I feel like this medication has tremendously helped... I would hate to admit that. No side effects to report. I still get amazing work outs in, I want to work out everyday... no hair loss or weight gain. All reasons why I was terrified to start meds in the first place. I lost weight, I don’t ruminate about my past relationship or food. I am following a meal plan. I feel great. I recommend this medication. I hope my dose gets increased or they can add one more medication to help reduce some of the anxiousness I have about the future. Otherwise I say give this a shot if you have given other meds a try and they haven’t worked I take 25mg in morning, 50 at night.”

Camargo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

“I finally reached mental clarity”

Brookie · Taken for 10 years or more December 27, 2019

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I’ve been taking Luvox for close to 15 years. I started on 50mg and moved to 100mg after about 3 years. I am now on 200mg (recently increased from 150mg). I take 100mg in the AM and 100mg before bed. It’s stopped me from experiencing distressing intrusive thoughts completely and helped reduce my anxiety to a manageable level. I also take seroquel and concerta on work days.”

Ang · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 10, 2019

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Luvox worked for about 6 months and I started going downhill again. My symptoms seem to be getting worse. Not all out horrible but definitely obstructing my normal activity.”

Jeff · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2019

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I have now been on 65-75 mg of Luvox for about 3 years for Obsessive Thoughts Disorder, which I had suffered from intensely since childhood. I was put on everything under the sun, mostly being treated with less specific, but more well known medicines (mostly focusing on depression, anxiety - though it was always known to be OCD). This drug has changed my life. I have went gone constant ruminating, to absolutely no worrying signs of OCD. I at first felt severe side effects of fatigue, tingly body, anxiety and needing total silence. It was a weird 2 weeks. But as soon as that passed, it has been the miracle I prayed for. I hope it can do the same for you.”

Lulu November 16, 2019

“fluvoxamine did help a lot with my ocd, HOWEVER, it increased my depression. I ended up getting hospitalized because of how severe my depression was getting. This medication made me feel numb. So I guess yes, I was not anxious anymore, but I couldn’t feel anything. I guess this medication may be worth a try, but if you already suffer with depression/ suicidal thoughts this medication may make it worse, like it did with me. In conclusion, this medication did really help with my OCD, but I had to get off of it because of how severe it made my depression. Just be aware of the symptoms of depression and be closely monitored if you decide to take this medication. If it wasn’t for how bad it made my depression, Luvox would have been my miracle drug for treating my ocd”

Emina November 8, 2019

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I have obsessive compulsive disorder and social anxiety and I have taken Luvox for two years. I have been on 100 mg for a year and I think that the pills do work for anxiety and OCD and my social anxiety is almost gone. The problem is that Luvox makes me gain a little bit of weight and it’s really hard to lose weight. I have reduced my calorie intake and I’m going to the gym but still I can’t lose any weight and I have tried now for two months. Luvox is really stopping me from losing weight. My depression hasn’t got any better it’s still the same.”

OCDDR Guy October 26, 2019

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I’ve been on Luvox for about a year and a half now, far better than Zoloft for me. Zoloft just made me feel like a zombie with anxiety and depression. Luvox has allowed me to totally stop my ruminating thoughts completely. My depression is still very real though, it feels like there is a weight on my brain. I’ve tried to augment with a few medications so far with none helping. Might switch to something different soon, but 10/10 for OCD, 2/10 for depression”

Joseph · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2019

“fluvoxamine is excellent for my ocd. I take 250 mg and my ocd has improved significantly! But wait a while for the best results. Maybe 01 month or more... I totally recommend this medicine.”

Anonymous August 29, 2019

Luvox CR (fluvoxamine): “I’ve been on antidepressants for years. Prozac helped me but then stopped being effective. So I got prescribed Luvax. The biggest problem was the side effects. I had the most painful stomach cramps and diarrhea along with horrible anxiety and palpitations. These made me give up on sticking with it. I’m not sure if it would work well if I stuck with it but the side effects were too severe for me.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder