User Reviews for Clomipramine

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
7.9

Summary of Clomipramine reviews 8.1 132 reviews

Reviews for Clomipramine

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I definitely recommend Anafranil to anyone suffering from moderate to severe OCD. While on this medication I noticed a great reduction in my OCD symptoms and it had elevated my mood even. Though a few of this medication's side effects might be a little troublesome, generally you get used to it and it isn't life changing."

User3030 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I have been using Anafranil (clomipramine) for more than 10 years. It has done wonders. I only take 25mg, but that is enough for my OCD. I can take more if I want but don't want any side effects. Anafranil did what no other antidepressant could do. It is an older drug but for me it's better."

Betty (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I was suffering from anxiety and was prescribed anafranil by my GP. Over a period of about a week my anxiety increased to the point that I was not well enough to go into work. I contacted my GP who increased the dosage. Within a few days I became so anxious I was unable to leave the house. I also suffered shaking and felt so weak that I stayed in bed. But worst of all I started having suicidal thoughts. At this point another GP from the practice called out to see me at home and took me off anafranil and onto a short term course of diazepam/temazapam. My situation improved and stabilised. In the longer term I was prescribed venlafaxine which helped with my condition. If you start having any suicidal thoughts ring someone immediately!"

wil (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’m 65 and have suffered from OCD Anxiety since childhood. Horrible intrusive thoughts and panic attacks. Took Zoloft for many years with pretty good control then it quit helping. Switched to Effexor for another 15 yrs with good control and then it also quit working and coming off of it was horrible. Started Clomipramine 3 yrs ago and it has worked the very best of all meds at 100mg per day. Also take 0.5mg of Ativan per day. Had hoped to stay on this regimen forever but am now going through the Coverage Gap phase of my Medicare Part D prescription coverage and will have to pay $400 per month instead of $100 until the end of the year just for the Clomipramine! Cannot find any drug company assistance and don’t qualify for any Medicaid Assistance. May have to go back on Zoloft just because of the cost difference. "

plusku (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've had problems with my OCD since I was approx 13 yrs old, with it's peak at 22yrs. I've tried several SSRI and other types of antidepressants but with this I'm almost totally anxiety-free since a year back."

Pdrick (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "Tried a few other SSRI meds such as fluoxetine and sertraline, both made my panic and anxiety worse. The Dr suggested clomipramine titrated up from 25mg to 75mg over 4 weeks. Had some side effects for two weeks such as dry mouth, headache and nausea but these passed. The clomipramine cured my anxiety, panic attacks, mild acrophobia and dizziness. A truly amazing and often overlooked medication."

Pineapples (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This drug was the answer that I was looking for when none of the SSRIs worked for my condition. I'm still in dose titration upwards, but the 75 mg is giving me considerable relief for my symptoms. It helped when no other SSRI did. I take it along with Zyprexa and Effexor, and this combination is very tolerable for me in terms of side effects. The only thing I don't like is that I have started getting acne on my face, but I think it is from one of the inactive ingredients of the medication, not from the active ingredients. I say this because I don't believe I had this side effect when I used a different pharmacy/generic company. For anyone with a ton of anxiety (of any kind), I strongly recommend clomipramine."

Nonaraza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!"

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I've been on Clomipramine for 6 months and am up to 50mg a day. That is the max dose I can take without flu-like symptoms and migraines. I've tried over 50 medications for panic disorder, and this is the only one that has worked for me. I take this along with 1-2 Ativan a day (.25mg) and I have my life back. Its not perfect, but now I can get out of the house and live my life for the most part. I don't know where I would be without it. I highly recommend Clomipramine if SSRI's don't work for you, or if they cause unbearable side effects."

Kelly April 16, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Anafranil for depression after having a stillborn baby. It was given to me intravenously and during one treatment I had a fit which caused my shoulder to dislocate. Following this I was prescribed a smaller dose in tablet form which made no difference to my depression. Not long after I had another fit which again resulted in a dislocated shoulder! Following this second incident I stopped taking the drug. All in all my shoulder dislocated 14 times due to damage caused by this drug until it was finally operated on but I never gained full use of the arm and still experience pain at times. I felt my personality had changed and I was unable to function and finally got better by talking to a very understanding psychologist . I still have episodes of depression but have learned to cope with them with determination and the help of relatives and friend. Needless to say I was not impressed with Anafranil in my case."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For Depression: "Since finally demanding to wean off this drug my life has improved dramatically. My docs always said iIcould not afford to stop this med although I had 7 hospitalization and 3 suicide attempts. After 25yrs and 30 grand out of pocket I started weaning process from 200mg to now 25mg. Cerebral blood flow was inhibited as well as blood flow to all other organs most noticeably I now have the return of erections. Constipation which took me to the ER for manual extraction is now gone, urinary inhibition sometimes up to 1 2hrs is gone. This med worsened my depression in many ways and cost me 20 years of a good life as well as loss of career, family and self confidence, dignity,r espect and hundreds of thousands of dollars in income, medical bills and more. Hopefully this may help others who are on this drug or are considering it for treatment as well as docs who prescribe, especially long term. That 's all. Good luck to all!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2018

For Depression: "It's the best medication I've ever had for MDD and GAD. It initially came with sedation, tremor, constipation, urinary retention, body pain and so on, but after being on it for a year (and thanks to some acupuncture) all the side effects are gone. If not for the side effects I'd recommend it to everyone! Only current downside is it only comes in 25mg tablets apparently and I take 150mg so that's 6 tablets and that runs out quickly."

moadej (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 18/19, but I'd had intrusive thoughts from as early as I can remember. It just got worse to the point I was suicidal in my late teens. Anyway, luckily the psychiatrist I saw was able to diagnose me and prescribe me Anafranil. I can honestly say I probably owe my life to this medication. I took it for a number of years, before switching to sertraline. I find anafranil does make me drowsy, but the effectiveness of it is worth it at times. Not everyone can take SSRIs. I'd recommend trying this medication for OCD or other anxiety disorders :) Peace."

SarahAustralis (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Minimal benefit for OCD at all dosages (with and without combining other meds). Side effects: Very dry mouth, problems urinating, all sexual side effects, at 200mg seizure, tremor."

yearsofocd (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking Anafranil 200mg for OCD for three months and it's not working. I'm getting severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts and tremors. My GP gave me diazepam 2mg for when I get really bad and that helps but last week he told me to stop taking it, and the psychiatrist told me to just ignore my thoughts and anxiety. I can't get into a private psychiatrist or a public one for a second opinion so I don't know what to do."

Wilbur77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Took this medication for 5 months at 250mg and it done nothing for my OCD and GAD. It actually made my anxiety worse. So glad to be off it."

Lala1234511 December 16, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I am a doctor myself and so thankful for this drug..clomipramine. It completely erased my OCD and changed my life. I strongly recommend it for OCD."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I battled with OCD since being a child but I was only diagnosed after being hospitalised in my forties. I have been taking clomipramine at 250mg a day along with antipsychotics for the last 5 years. The intrusive thoughts that used to be so crippling have greatly reduced to a level I can handle. Clomipramine saved my life, literally, as I was hospitalised twice for attempted suicide. The only downside are the side effects, for me, as a man, the impotence and loss of libido are difficult to live with but it's a price worth paying."

Wolfman05 November 7, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication is absolutely life changing. After years of suffering anxiety OCD with mostly intrusive racing thoughts that caused insomnia this medication was a miracle!! I had tried so many failed medications and therapies that I became hopeless. I was prescribed this medication after being hospitalized and have never been back that was over 2 years ago. It took 4 weeks to work please give it time. I feel like I have my life back!"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I got prescribed Anafranil after not impressive effects of tritico and zoloft, and yeah, it worked for a few months, but I had to up my dosage every now and then. However after around 4 months of taking it, it stopped working, I capped the dosage, and had to switch therapists, as the former had no idea what to do with severe depression. However what I'd like to share is the withdrawal part. In the time I was off it, it was really bad, imagine being constantly drunk. You can not focus, your view is shifting, everything seems to be floating, also like a lagging game, it feels as the visual part comes later than the audio. Really weird, so if you are on it or planning to try, ask your doctor for a way to take it out gradually."

Push91 September 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "Was on Effexor, Seroquel and Prothiaden but could not shift the constant thoughts of killing myself. Driving became a night mare, just leaving the house was impossible as my thoughts kept telling me to walk in front of a bus etc etc. Anafranil literally saved my life and gave me back the wish to live. Most effective drug I have ever used and gradual withdrawal worked really well. Thoughts not completely gone but no pressure anymore, they just drive on by."

Man U Fan (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "One of the better drugs I have taken. It sure works - for me 125mg completely erased my OCD related depression and anxiety but there is a side effects price: excessive sweating, constipation and reduced libido."

Leon_cz (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen."

Shaedynn August 31, 2017