User Reviews for Clomipramine

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
7.9

Summary of Clomipramine reviews 8.1 126 reviews

Reviews for Clomipramine

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This drug was the answer that I was looking for when none of the SSRIs worked for my condition. I'm still in dose titration upwards, but the 75 mg is giving me considerable relief for my symptoms. It helped when no other SSRI did. I take it along with Zyprexa and Effexor, and this combination is very tolerable for me in terms of side effects. The only thing I don't like is that I have started getting acne on my face, but I think it is from one of the inactive ingredients of the medication, not from the active ingredients. I say this because I don't believe I had this side effect when I used a different pharmacy/generic company. For anyone with a ton of anxiety (of any kind), I strongly recommend clomipramine."

Nonaraza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!"

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I've been on Clomipramine for 6 months and am up to 50mg a day. That is the max dose I can take without flu-like symptoms and migraines. I've tried over 50 medications for panic disorder, and this is the only one that has worked for me. I take this along with 1-2 Ativan a day (.25mg) and I have my life back. Its not perfect, but now I can get out of the house and live my life for the most part. I don't know where I would be without it. I highly recommend Clomipramine if SSRI's don't work for you, or if they cause unbearable side effects."

Kelly April 16, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Anafranil for depression after having a stillborn baby. It was given to me intravenously and during one treatment I had a fit which caused my shoulder to dislocate. Following this I was prescribed a smaller dose in tablet form which made no difference to my depression. Not long after I had another fit which again resulted in a dislocated shoulder! Following this second incident I stopped taking the drug. All in all my shoulder dislocated 14 times due to damage caused by this drug until it was finally operated on but I never gained full use of the arm and still experience pain at times. I felt my personality had changed and I was unable to function and finally got better by talking to a very understanding psychologist . I still have episodes of depression but have learned to cope with them with determination and the help of relatives and friend. Needless to say I was not impressed with Anafranil in my case."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For Depression: "Since finally demanding to wean off this drug my life has improved dramatically. My docs always said iIcould not afford to stop this med although I had 7 hospitalization and 3 suicide attempts. After 25yrs and 30 grand out of pocket I started weaning process from 200mg to now 25mg. Cerebral blood flow was inhibited as well as blood flow to all other organs most noticeably I now have the return of erections. Constipation which took me to the ER for manual extraction is now gone, urinary inhibition sometimes up to 1 2hrs is gone. This med worsened my depression in many ways and cost me 20 years of a good life as well as loss of career, family and self confidence, dignity,r espect and hundreds of thousands of dollars in income, medical bills and more. Hopefully this may help others who are on this drug or are considering it for treatment as well as docs who prescribe, especially long term. That 's all. Good luck to all!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2018

For Depression: "It's the best medication I've ever had for MDD and GAD. It initially came with sedation, tremor, constipation, urinary retention, body pain and so on, but after being on it for a year (and thanks to some acupuncture) all the side effects are gone. If not for the side effects I'd recommend it to everyone! Only current downside is it only comes in 25mg tablets apparently and I take 150mg so that's 6 tablets and that runs out quickly."

moadej (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 18/19, but I'd had intrusive thoughts from as early as I can remember. It just got worse to the point I was suicidal in my late teens. Anyway, luckily the psychiatrist I saw was able to diagnose me and prescribe me Anafranil. I can honestly say I probably owe my life to this medication. I took it for a number of years, before switching to sertraline. I find anafranil does make me drowsy, but the effectiveness of it is worth it at times. Not everyone can take SSRIs. I'd recommend trying this medication for OCD or other anxiety disorders :) Peace."

SarahAustralis (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Minimal benefit for OCD at all dosages (with and without combining other meds). Side effects: Very dry mouth, problems urinating, all sexual side effects, at 200mg seizure, tremor."

yearsofocd (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking Anafranil 200mg for OCD for three months and it's not working. I'm getting severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts and tremors. My GP gave me diazepam 2mg for when I get really bad and that helps but last week he told me to stop taking it, and the psychiatrist told me to just ignore my thoughts and anxiety. I can't get into a private psychiatrist or a public one for a second opinion so I don't know what to do."

Wilbur77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Took this medication for 5 months at 250mg and it done nothing for my OCD and GAD. It actually made my anxiety worse. So glad to be off it."

Lala1234511 December 16, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I am a doctor myself and so thankful for this drug..clomipramine. It completely erased my OCD and changed my life. I strongly recommend it for OCD."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I battled with OCD since being a child but I was only diagnosed after being hospitalised in my forties. I have been taking clomipramine at 250mg a day along with antipsychotics for the last 5 years. The intrusive thoughts that used to be so crippling have greatly reduced to a level I can handle. Clomipramine saved my life, literally, as I was hospitalised twice for attempted suicide. The only downside are the side effects, for me, as a man, the impotence and loss of libido are difficult to live with but it's a price worth paying."

Wolfman05 November 7, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication is absolutely life changing. After years of suffering anxiety OCD with mostly intrusive racing thoughts that caused insomnia this medication was a miracle!! I had tried so many failed medications and therapies that I became hopeless. I was prescribed this medication after being hospitalized and have never been back that was over 2 years ago. It took 4 weeks to work please give it time. I feel like I have my life back!"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I got prescribed Anafranil after not impressive effects of tritico and zoloft, and yeah, it worked for a few months, but I had to up my dosage every now and then. However after around 4 months of taking it, it stopped working, I capped the dosage, and had to switch therapists, as the former had no idea what to do with severe depression. However what I'd like to share is the withdrawal part. In the time I was off it, it was really bad, imagine being constantly drunk. You can not focus, your view is shifting, everything seems to be floating, also like a lagging game, it feels as the visual part comes later than the audio. Really weird, so if you are on it or planning to try, ask your doctor for a way to take it out gradually."

Push91 September 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "Was on Effexor, Seroquel and Prothiaden but could not shift the constant thoughts of killing myself. Driving became a night mare, just leaving the house was impossible as my thoughts kept telling me to walk in front of a bus etc etc. Anafranil literally saved my life and gave me back the wish to live. Most effective drug I have ever used and gradual withdrawal worked really well. Thoughts not completely gone but no pressure anymore, they just drive on by."

Man U Fan (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "One of the better drugs I have taken. It sure works - for me 125mg completely erased my OCD related depression and anxiety but there is a side effects price: excessive sweating, constipation and reduced libido."

Leon_cz (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen."

Shaedynn August 31, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on clomipramine for 33 years. I have had OCD since I was 5 years old and finally went to a psychiatrist when it became too debilitating to even leave the house when I was 34 years old. It was the first medication that the psychiatrist tried on me period within two months my OCD, intrusive thoughts and panic attacks were 99% gone and they continue to be. Side effects were pretty bad for the first couple of months and the loss of sexual interest lasted a year but then it came back and felt normal again. I do not know why this drug is so expensive since it is a generic. I know it is an older drug and not widely prescribed anymore but without insurance it is $800 a month. With my insurance I pay $75 a month."

Ginny O August 17, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on this drug for 16 years and it has been a life saver. The side effects were pretty intense at the start ..mainly constipation,dry mouth and gained 15 pounds. I persevered with the side effects for about 3 months because I just felt so damn normal. The side effects went away and weight returned to normal. I believe the only long term side effect is excessive sweating. Oh well I can live with that! I tried about 9 different meds for anxiety and depression and none of them gave me any side effects at all. 1 week on clomipramine and I was constipated big time and had major dry mouth but had joy back in my life!! Can't live without it!! Cost has gone up in Canada because I believe there are no longer any generic manufacturers.."

Pkaner (taken for 10 years or more) August 7, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Anafranil for 6 weeks. Increased slowly up to 100mg twice a day. Anafranil did not work for me at all! It seemed to have the opposite reaction than intended. My anxiety & OCD both increased significantly. My pain from Fibromyalgia also significantly worsened."

Anonymous August 6, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This med caused me to hear internal voices (auditory hallucinations, but in my head). Made me paranoid, anxious, scared to be alone, tired, nauseated, no appetite, and felt schizophrenic. Started at 50 mg, coming off immediately, per my PDoc. I hope it gives you relief, as most seem satisfied. Bummer it wasn't my life saver."

New to This (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

For Depression: "I would like to know everyone's experiences on this drug please. Does it cause insomnia?"

Newtome2017 July 17, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "After a long 12 years of being on Effexor XR my anxiety OCD was beginning to get worse, my GP felt it necessary to increase my Effexor to 150 mg and although I had done that in the passed Effexor was just not working anymore and actually began working against me, awful anxiety at night time and my OCD "I have pure-o" and I felt I couldn't get things under control, I had enough and it was time for change, I saw a different GP who was knowledgeable with Anxiety and he switched me to CLOMIPRAMINE/ANAFRANIL 50 mg to start, I only had a few bad days from the initial switch because Effexor can be nasty to come off but then my life came back and I feel great! Just remember nothing will rid you of OCD but this med is great to manage it!"

marko2751 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017