User Reviews for Clomipramine

Depression 7.1
Summary of Clomipramine reviews 8.0 188 reviews

Reviews for Clomipramine

Marc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2020

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: “On 100 mg Anafranil and it makes me calm and I don't worry about things any more but can still have panic attacks. Side effects : makes me sweat when it's warm a lot .”

abby · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I started taking clomipramine around 3 weeks ago and have noticed some improvements with my OCD and panic symptoms. I was dissociating and having frequent panic attacks along with obsessive compulsive thoughts and compulsions severely. The first week taking this I noticed I no longer was having panic attacks and my depression also improved. By week two I noticed my OCD symptoms lessened maybe by 50%. (Btw I am taking 25 mg daily alongside 10 mg of Lexapro). I like this combo so far although I am experiencing so many side effects. Every time I stand up I get extremely dizzy to the point of where I feel like I might faint (I don't know what is causing this), I also am having difficulty peeing? As well as trouble reaching orgasm. Despite the side effects it is improving my symptoms!”

Don't Give Up · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 21, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “This medicine clomipramine saved my life from panic disorder. It took me six long years to find this medicine. I used to read all the reviews on this site hoping and dreaming I would one day have relief like so many on here. In fact some days it was my only way of keeping hope. This drug took 6-8 long months to take affect for me. It was slow progress out of hell, but everyday was better than the one before. Like the sun coming up you don't really notice it getting light out. Things that were impossible became possible. My thoughts were quieted and my mind could think about other things beside depression and anxiety. I have been on the drug for 6 years now. My depression and anxiety are gone. Like all gone! not diminished or tolerable but gone. My side effects are increased sweating and loose bowels. I am impacted by them but I would take the trade everyday and twice on Sunday : ) .”

Skakergirl59 July 17, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “clomipramine was TERRIBLE. I took just one at 25mg and I woke up in the middle of the night panicking, could not feel my body, and the reaction continued in the morning.”

thewayofknowing · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Worked right off the bat. Just 25mg at night worked way better than any antipsychotic I've tried (SSRIs barely helped at all) My mind has final quiet down. It's a blissful feeling altogether. Definitely give this a shot”

JGhoulie June 4, 2020

For Depression: “I was in SSRI’s for 17 years and it only helped the OCD. I was still pretty miserable with depression. No doctor mentioned it until I ended up in a psychiatric hospital where they started putting me on clomipramine back in January of 2013. The first dosage of 25 milligrams gave me an acute anxiety attack. But I got over it. I went up to 50 mg in a few days and felt better. However 100 mg made the symptoms worse so I went back down to 50 mg and I was happy as a clam within 2 weeks. I’ve never been this happy or optimistic in my life. The only side effect that has become a problem is a significant amount of weight gain. At least 40-50 lbs. I’m making every effort to reverse it”

Andrew Oin June 1, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “I asked my psychiatrist to try me out on this drug clomipramine because the reviews were so promising. I started off on a dose of 25MG and didn't really notice too much of a difference. I went up to 50mg and started to feel a little better, but still not 100% myself. I went up to 100MG and it was way to strong for me. My panic became worse and I was a crying mess. The side effects were extremely dry mouth, dehydration, and extreme difficulty in orgasming. I went back down to 50MG and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'm still depressed and anxious, but I'm able to leave my house, sleep better, have better sex (was on ssri's before and that killed my libido), and be functional. I know theres no magic drug that will eliminate all anxiety or depression, but this one has helped out a lot. I rarely ever get panic attacks anymore and I'm able to manage my anxiety a lot better. I'm a little upset because its not really helping with the depression, but I'm going to try and find something to pair with this.”

ImADuck · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

For Depression: “Strong, nasty drug! Given clomipramine for anxiety, obsessive thoughts/ruminations and depression. SSRIs are not much help, and Effexor helped for a while and then stopped. Pristiq didn’t help. So we tried clomipramine, an older drug. I only took 25mg for 4 days before calling it quits! Very strong sedating effects but didn't really put me to sleep the first 2 days. Then the next three days, wow! This put me on my back the entire day! I couldn’t function and do anything. I just wanted to lay down because I was so exhausted but couldn’t sleep!!! That’s disasterous! I hated that feeling! It also gave me restless legs which further worsened my ability to stay asleep! Now I’m gonna try buspar since I’m so sensitive to medication.”

Anonymous May 9, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “Started clomipramine for severe panic disorder ..and OCD Only need 25 mg haven't had a panic attack since I started it 8 months ago ..makes me a little slow..unmotivated ..some brain fog ..but worth it”

Ufa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

For Depression: “I've been about 8 months on clomipramine. It give me obsessive thoughts that weren't there before I started this drug (I was on on it for depression. I shouldn't have taken it. But it was a must since my psychiatrist prescribed it”

A.R. · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

“I was a singer and had a stroke on stage. After convalescing for a year, I stuttered, constantly had panic attacks and was hyperemotional all the time oscillating between screaming or crying. I also realized I'd lost my voice, singing off-key with a weak trembling voice. I've always been quite sensitive but I actually felt handicapped so I explained these symptoms to my family doctor and he reluctantly prescribed 25mg Clomipramine for 6 months. It truly is a miracle! After a month, I can now sing again, am finally even-tempered and generally feel balanced. And though it hasn't been all rosy as I had dizzy spells, palpitations and still have dry mouth, I still hope he tells me I can take it for the rest of my life because I do not want to ever revert to the PTSD state I was in.”

Min (Australia) · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I’ve suffered OCD, Depression (little), but massive Anxiety, I was on Effexor-XR now the Doctor is weaning me off the Effexor and started me on clomipramine 25mg, then 50mg, tonight I start 75mg per night. I was hesitant due to the reviews, but after finding this section, I’m feeling hopeful. I don’t want to give a negative feedback, as this will be my 4 week only.”

cw · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “clomipramine made me gain weight which furthered my OCD compulsions, therefore, I cannot truly say if it helped me or not. The weight gain was detrimental but I did hear it was gold standard. Just not for me I guess.”

Chaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Out of all the medicines I have tried for my anxiety/OCD, this one clomipramine has worked the best! I take 50 mg a day, and it took about 3-4 weeks to start noticing a difference. I went from OCD thoughts running my life all day/everyday to having small thoughts throughout the day that I am able to easily dismiss. My panic attacks are also gone!! Side effects have been dry mouth, a little bit of weight gain (maybe 5 pounds) and sexual side effects (delayed ejaculation) This medicine is expensive and has caused a few side effects BUT IT IS WORTH IT!”

Ocdistheworst · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have tried many SSRI for OCD for a long time but none of them worked like clomipramine. If you can tolerate adverse effects it will be a pure recovery of your exhausted mind!”

Tom T · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “Started at clomipramine at a dose 50mg daily for anxiety, Panic disorder, depression, and OCD. Slowly increased the dose by 50mg and currently taking 150mg at bedtime. This medication is an old one but don’t be fooled by new doctors and new medications. This medication has been a gift from god. At first I was afraid to start it after reading a lot of reviews about negative side effects. Only thing I’ve had is a little dry mouth. Other than that, depression is much better, panic attacks are way way down to almost nothing, and obsessive thoughts have dropped by about 90%. So overall this medication has been the best medication I’ve ever been on. Thankful for my older psychiatrist who had an idea my depression and panic was coming from mostly obsessive thoughts. I am so grateful to have been put on this med!!!”

Dev India · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Clomipramine is the best medication for OCD. I have tried paroxetine, fluoxetine etc but none of them works as much as the clomipramine works. I took it high dosages 75mg per day..now my OCD has gone. It would be also very helpful if you consult with a therapist..my doctors give me sleeping medicine first those doctors are fraud !!!!According to my experience just take the dosage regularly at a certain amount, you will be cured quickly! Good Luck ”

Mossy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 22, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “The only drug to make a significant difference for me. Has approximately halved my depression, anxiety and OCD. The main side effect is dry mouth. I can actually enjoy life now after twenty years of misery.”

LJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Felt this drug immediately when it was first prescribed to me--within a day my obsessive thoughts were gone. The dry mouth side effect went away after a week, and I appreciated the drowsiness my nighttime dose gave me. All was well until 3 weeks after starting, I suddenly could not control my bladder! I full-on peed my pants twice (luckily I was home both times) before I weaned myself off the med. I was only taking 25mg once every other day.”

Eul · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

For Depression: “This medication doesn't work for me I've been on it for two month on 75mg clomipramine. Now my psychiatrist has made it 100mg. He said to give it a try for two month”

Kal · Taken for 10 years or more December 22, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Been on clomipramine for most of my adult life ,OCD took over my childhood, but now I'm free to be the person I am, due to this drug, no major side effects, bad teeth in later life. No price to pay!! Would recommend at an instant.”

Muzz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I started using this drug clomipramine 5 weeks ago , I had been on lexapro which didn't help . After 3 months my doctor put me on clomipramine as he diagnosed me with OCD. I had bad anxiety depression and major intrusive thoughts continuously all day long. I'm now up to 100mg four tablets at night just before bed , I also have to use sleeping tablets to get to sleep at the moment but the intrusive thoughts have calmed down a lot. In the mornings I wake up a little tired. I get mild constipation and dry mouth. Is 100mg too big of a dose? Also is it best to take this medication at night or morning ? How long does it take to get the full benefit on this medication . Muzz ”

harvi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I began anafranil in October. I was already on lithium and buspar. At only 25mg it cleared my head and took all the fear, pain, noise, and anguish away. I didn't have a crying spell for a whole month (as opposed to once a week or more.) As the intrusive obsessive thoughts came back, we raised it to 50mg. Everything was great until the obsessions came back again. We raised it to 75mg and I fell headfirst into a crazed depression. I could not stop crying for the life of me. All day. At home, at work. We raised it to 100mg and I ended up in the hospital an uncontrollable crying rage monster. I am so lucky I didn't lose my job. We have since reduced me to 25 again. It kind of works but not nearly as well as when I began. It's better than nothing but I have no idea why it gave me my whole life back and then snatched it away overnight????”

D · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 30, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I’m 44. Have been living with terrible obsessive thoughts my whole life. Yes, I have depression and anxiety, but even when I felt “happy” and “free” from those, the thoughts wouldn’t stop. I thought I was just a negative person. Started researching and asked my dr if I could try Anafranil. Best decision I ever made. The thoughts were almost gone! Then I switched jobs and had to wait for new insurance to kick in. Anafranil was about $1100 without insurance. I’m about to start again. The only thing I hate is the terrible dry mouth. Otherwise it’s amazing!”

Opt November 27, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “The best medication so far for OCD is anafranil. It’s completely cured my OCD. Remember OCD is just a medical problem due to unbalanced chemicals in you brain. It’s not you, it’s your brain sending you false messages. Don’t believe the obsessive thoughts, they may feel real but they are fake !”