User Reviews for Clomipramine

Also known as: Anafranil

Learn more about Clomipramine.

Panic Disorder 13 reviews 19 medications

Premature Ejaculation 1 reviews 0 medications

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 60 reviews 13 medications

Summary of Clomipramine reviews 86 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Clomipramine

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Tried many other medications (Paxil,Zoloft,etc) for anixety and OCD and this was a life saver"

jdig (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

For Depression: "Tried every AD pill, and this is the only one that's worked for me."

RobInWoods (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I have had anxiety and depression since childhood and self medicated with alcohol and street drugs. I got sober 29 years ago but after being sober for 2 years I had a nervous breakdown my Dr put me on Xanax and Clomiprine I got better. Years passed and I have had setbacks and Drs prescribed all SSRI's and continued to increase benzodiazepines to an unsafe level. The Drs took me off the benzodiazepines and Clomiprine. My anxiety and depression have returned. I went back to my Clomiprine a week ago and I already have my life back."

vmrdoug12 (taken for 10 years or more) September 7, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I'm a brazilian boy and i suffer from GAD, panic and depression. I was trying to find an alternative to Effexor (which was great but caused sexual problems). After using lots of meds without the same success my doc prescribed me Clomipramine. It did work!!!! And without the sexual side effects. But it has other side effects that i couldnt take like... everything tasted like rotten meat, my mouth and eyes were always dry (even drinking loads of water), my muscles felt so weak that sometimes i thougt i would not have the strengh to get out of bed, hands and chin trembling, sweating like hell... it completely deshumanized me. But if you're looking for something to kill your panic yeah this will work probably at the smallest dose"

Adrian123 August 18, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have tried many of the SSRI's with no success. I was on a tricyclic many years ago with great results. My doctor put me on Clomipiramine and the results were good. I saw a good improvement in racing thoughts with a decrease in anxiety. I should of asked for this drug in the first place. The side effects are rough though. I experienced excessive sweating, dry mouth, blurry vision, constipation, postural hypotension and impotence/ejaculatory issues. I remember these effects from years ago when I was on a tricyclic. I would rather live with it than be paralyzed with anxiety."

RJR555 August 4, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "on 75mg is enough for me some side effects sweating and constipation tried 3 different SSRI's and this was the only one I could stick with! Life saver, highly recommend"

lauzmcclauz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2016

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression."

Cheesus July 13, 2016

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I had a break up and was suffering extreme anxiety and depression. I was not functioning at work, in life and suffered for several months. I was getting worse and worse, not sleeping and finally broke down and decided to take an anti depressant. After about 4 days something changed a little within a two weeks my anxiety went away and I began sleeping again as well. I weaned off of the ativan I was taking and this drug saved my life. I probably would have been hospitalized if I didn't go on it. Side effects, sweating (a lot), constipation, and of course ejaculatory issues but still could have sex for my partner. This side effects were easy to deal with when compared to my anxiety. Save my life!!!"

Thank Ful (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have terrible OCD and I went on this drug after celexa stopped working after about 10 years. This drug is a miracle. Within 3 days my OCD was subsiding. It took about 2 months to really see the complete effects. With that being said. There are more side effects than anything I've ever taken. I get manic from this medicine, constipation, trouble swollowing occasionally , sexual anorgasmia, and insane weight gain. I eat an amazing plant based paleo and grain free diet and I still gain weight if I eat any fruit. But if you want a drug that's incredibly effective. This is a great option."

Aleasa June 4, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The most side effects I have ever heard of. I experienced nearly all of the side effects at one point or the other over the last month and a half. I am currently bed ridden trying to get off this medicine. It's a nightmare."

Bobby Donuts April 24, 2016

For Premature Ejaculation: "Out of nowhere I started having premature ejaculation problems so a doctor prescribed anafranil. The drug definitely worked and after I stopped taking it after a couple of months my problems were gone. The drug did make me feel pretty queasy and out of it (I threw up once) but it was as if my sex life was rebooted and my body trained to orgasm later. I recommend but don't drive or do anything important while on the drug."

Jezza10 April 21, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Reduced my symptoms by 80%"

Laura24nz March 31, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Clomipramine began improving my OCD symptoms within a couple of weeks and seems to have all but eliminated my intrusive, repletetive thinking at this point. I still have off-days from time to time, but my therapist and doc both agree that's to be expected. This stuff has taken me from not being able to function to getting back to my life. The only downside is I have experienced some difficulty reaching orgasm. Not every time, but from time to time. Erections are fine and libido is actually increased - due to just feeling so much better. All in all that's a small price to pay for what feels like a restoration of my basic sanity."

Mr. Jones March 9, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The first 2 weeks were kind of difficult for me. Lots of side effects and very little results. Hot/cold flashes, lethargy, tiredness, dizziness, sexual dysfunction and so on. After a month, the effects of clomipramine started to really kick in. It was effective against depression. Instead of going to bed every night hating myself and want to die, that only happened once a week. It reduced some (not all) of my OCD, particularly my obsessions. On the downside, it effectively made me bipolar. At one moment, I felt like Jesus. The other I was severely suicidal. I always had mania and depression, but not to this extent. Had to go off it. Lots of pros. Lots of cons. It works. But will it work for you?"

D'Francis (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was put on this medication earlier this year for OCD. I didn't really notice a difference other then it made me tired about a half hour after taking it. It did not seem to improve my OCD symptoms. However I do wonder if I was on a high enough dose. My doctor only had me on 50 MG and I have a high tolerance to med so I might give this another shot at a higher dosage. Also I was only on it for a few weeks I think."

micky2015 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

For Depression: "I have tried everything the only one that really helped me after I lost hope The doctors don't give it to you because its an old medication, the patent is over and the big pharmaceutical companys don't make any money. But believe me it is the best give it 2 month chance."

Ela44 November 28, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication was a miracle for my OCD like I swear my intrusive thoughts had almost gone! I was able to do things that I couldn't do with OCD! Sadly I couldn't continue it as I got a really bad side affect of low blood pressure! I wasn't able to do much during this time. It was worth a try though!"

Tay99 November 16, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have had chronic OCD for the last year and a half. I tried hundreds of different kinds of medication, and it's safe to say none of them worked. After five days of Anafranil, I started seeing multiple improvements. As more days passed, the level of improvement only increased. Unfortunately, it's not without side effects. I don't eat properly, I don't sleep for more than five hours, my body trembles and I feel terribly weak, but I have this theory hat maybe these side effects play an important role in forcibly stopping you from performing compulsions."

Hana304 November 13, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I had terrible OCD in my late teens and twenties. Totally life-consuming - I thought I was going mad. I suppose I was. The side effects have been difficult - long term erectile dysfunction, years after coming off the medication. And at the time, when the dose went up, sort of 'flu like' symptoms: achey, nausea, upset tummy. But it evened out. And it was really worth it. Still can't get it up properly - but I can live a life. As for cost - I live in the UK, so all healthcare is free for everyone. I paid "

Think about it (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I was suffering panic attacks, anxiety, depression and irritable bowel syndrome. I started on half a 75 mg for two weeks and then full tablet. The side effects were a bit of a challenge some days but the up side was I had good days very early into taking. I started them four weeks ago and panic attacks are gone, minimal anxiety now and depression lifted considerably, also no more IBS. one thing that no tablet cannot do is change how you think. I am very, very blessed!"

Jillay November 12, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medicine saved my teenager from horrible OCD. 200mg at bedtime, dry mouth is the only side effect. Every once in awhile he will have an episode, but I am able to talk him through it. He tried every med, this was the only one that worked."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was prescribed Clomipramine for my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I have found that the Clomipramine has helped a tiny bit with the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, but I am currently at a small dose (50mg). I find this drug causes drowsiness and insomnia at the same time, so if I take it in the daytime I am drowsy and appear "out of it" yet in the nighttime not only am I drowsy and appear "out of it" but I also can't sleep! And since I started taking these pills I have been constipated; if I pass gas while in the bathroom someone I live with would accuse me of using laxatives since the bathroom would stink when I came out - and I didn't even get to poo! If these issues do not improve soon I might stop taking them."

Sailor_Saturn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking this drug for almost 3 months. It has helped significantly with intrusive thoughts and therefore decreased compulsions and being stuck on rituals. More than significant, actually. It is saving me and I'm able to function better. The problem is I've gained 13 pounds. My hunger is never satisfied! It is always on my mind. I know my mental health is worth gaining SOME weight; however it shows no stopping. I am not a thin woman, gaining too much weight makes me unhappy in terms of how I look. I have some joint problems too. Thanks for listening. I do not plan on quitting this med for as I said, works great."

Mary'sLamb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2015

For Depression: "I had roller coaster episodes of depression that was not seem to be cured from multiple Ssri that i tried.am struggling against depession for 6 years.The only miracle drug that worked is only chlomipramine.whenever i feel depression i just havr to adjust its dose and it start working again"

Adyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2015