User Reviews for Clomipramine

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
7.9

Summary of Clomipramine reviews 8.1 145 reviews

Reviews for Clomipramine

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "This excellent for depression, but use of the established big names such as NOVARTIS or CIBA GEIGY. I found the anafranil from ALFASIGMA in Milan, Italy not good and believe that this brand has INFERIOR pills."

cier (taken for 10 years or more) January 26, 2019

For Depression: "Help, clomipramine has been discontinued! Can't get it in UK anymore. I have been on it on and off over 30 years. Having an episode of depression now which started Sept 2018, now Jan 2019 and now being tapered to sertraline. Scared!!"

Welshwarbler (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This drug gave me my life back. After unsuccessfully being treated by various doses of Escitalopram and Paroxetine for nearly half a year my doctor prescribed Anafranil (Clomipramine is the generic name). What a difference it made! It takes longer to kick in, in my case precisely 4 weeks but it is well worth the long wait."

Eli (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I don't even know where to start. This medication was the breakthrough for me. I had tried so many medications over a year and a half before my doctor put me on this. I was skeptical at first, started off on a small dose, the nausea and headaches were not too terrible. The first few weeks my obsessions got worse but once I was at 100mg I felt a small breakthrough and a small ease of my symptoms. I had even greater results at 150mg. I'm now at 200mg working my way up to 300mg but honestly this is the best I have felt in years and for the first time I feel like I can enjoy my life and breathe without the constant obsessions and compulsions. I'm not saying this will work for you but do not give up, I thought I was hopeless and medications would never work for me until I finally got on this. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you deserve to have this same feeling!"

Iml (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I was first started on clomipramine after experiencing bad postnatal depression 30 years ago. Since then I have had to go back on it at different times of my life when suffering with debilitating anxiety and after the sudden death of my husband.....It has always helped me out of these times, enabling me to get back to normal life where other drugs have made things worse. Now they have told me they are having trouble getting hold of it....It would be a disaster if they stopped manufacturing it definitely, its a really good drug."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 10, 2018

For Depression: "Just started on it few days ago but I have noticed that my racing thoughts have stopped, so far I don't have any side effects, but to keep calm I have been using natural supplements and it seems to be working for me. Good luck to all"

basia (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2018

For Depression: "I have been taking this medication for. as little over two weeks. I started off at 50 mg and then after 14 days, I increased to 100 mg. I thought I would start to feel better, hut I have been so depressed. I have still been struggling with the OCD. I also have bipolar 2. I am also wondering if I am feeling like this from coming off of Lexapro. I am just overwhelmed. I really want this medicine to work. Maybe it will just take more time..."

Bird (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I'm 23years old and I've been suffering from general and social anxiety ,panic , since I was 13 I also had OCD by the age of 19 and end up with severe depression and suicidal behavior this year ,it's been 4 weeks since I started taking clomaprine twice a day 20mg along with mianserin ,and this combination changed my life ,all my problems gone including phobias, erectile dysfunction and all symptoms related to anxiety and depression."

Mourad (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Anafranil has completely cured me of my OCD. I suffered from terrible intrusive thoughts since I was a child, however, I was not correctly diagnosed until adulthood. I have been on 6 25mg tablets a day and it has completely changed my life for the better. Before Anafranil, I was fearful to leave my house because I was scared of having awful thoughts about the people I loved. I have taken Anafranil for three years and I am so well I forget I have OCD. I can think of the thoughts that terrified me so much before and not feel anything. I can acknowledge that they are irrational thoughts and move on. I have had minimal side effects and in fact lost 45kgs while on the tablets (I was previously on Lexapro, which added 35kg). Different medication affects people differently but I can honestly say that I am finally living the life I always wanted to live and it’s all because of Anafranil."

Redgraves (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "If you're compulsively looking for evidence for why or why you shouldn't take this medication, stop right now and leave this website! Seriously. Been there many times. Anafranil is a promising drug for the majority of people with OCD and it's worth a shot. I gave it a solid 10 weeks and decided it wasn't the med for me (too many side effects such as fatigue etc and did not feel like myself on it). Feeling a little better w/o it so far (knock on wood), but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. The only way is to know is to try it, and it won't hurt you. Listen to your doctors, but always listen to your body first. If something feels off, don't ignore it. Your doctors want the best for you, but only you can truly know what's working and what isn't. Now, that said, take a leap of faith and stop researching. My personal experience with this drug should mean nothing to you."

medtester (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "So I’ve been taking Anafranil for about 8 weeks now. I started at 25 mg and now I’m at 100 mg.. gradually moving up as time goes on. I didn’t have OCD until I got pregnant with my daughter and started having horrible intrusive thoughts that made me depressed. I’ve tried Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil and now this one. This has worked for the most part but it hasn’t “cured” anything. I still have my days but out of all the medication I’ve tried this has been the best. Thankful overall for this medication. Give it a try and try to remember these kind of meds take time to work. Sending positive energy to you all!"

Pregnant Postpartum Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Depression: "This did seem to give me a bit of energy but the side effects were not good. At the highest dose I was shaking so bad I couldn't write, I got dizzy every time I stood up, had electric shock feelings in my head and terrible twitching all evening and night. Luckily all the side effects stopped when I came off of it, but this was definitely not the right drug for me."

Cera (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This really does help after suffering from depersonalisation (DP), OCD and panic attacks for decades. I finally begged my Psych doctor to let me try this drug. I had literally tried every antidepressant, and even some antipsychotic medication. All the other drugs I tried was kind of useless so when I tried this drug I was a bit hesitant. Though it really does help with OCD and DP, the "terrible" thoughts started to fade after a few weeks, so the domino effect is that this decreases anxiety. I am not totally OCD and anxiety free and I don't think I ever will be, but this drug really takes the edge off it. The side effects are a bit tough, yet again lack of sex drive and also annoyingly constipation but it is well worth it. If the standard SSRI's are not working I would totally recommend this drug, for me it has been a life saver."

markinchelsea (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I definitely recommend Anafranil to anyone suffering from moderate to severe OCD. While on this medication I noticed a great reduction in my OCD symptoms and it had elevated my mood even. Though a few of this medication's side effects might be a little troublesome, generally you get used to it and it isn't life changing."

User3030 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I have been using Anafranil (clomipramine) for more than 10 years. It has done wonders. I only take 25mg, but that is enough for my OCD. I can take more if I want but don't want any side effects. Anafranil did what no other antidepressant could do. It is an older drug but for me it's better."

Betty (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I was suffering from anxiety and was prescribed anafranil by my GP. Over a period of about a week my anxiety increased to the point that I was not well enough to go into work. I contacted my GP who increased the dosage. Within a few days I became so anxious I was unable to leave the house. I also suffered shaking and felt so weak that I stayed in bed. But worst of all I started having suicidal thoughts. At this point another GP from the practice called out to see me at home and took me off anafranil and onto a short term course of diazepam/temazapam. My situation improved and stabilised. In the longer term I was prescribed venlafaxine which helped with my condition. If you start having any suicidal thoughts ring someone immediately!"

wil (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’m 65 and have suffered from OCD Anxiety since childhood. Horrible intrusive thoughts and panic attacks. Took Zoloft for many years with pretty good control then it quit helping. Switched to Effexor for another 15 yrs with good control and then it also quit working and coming off of it was horrible. Started Clomipramine 3 yrs ago and it has worked the very best of all meds at 100mg per day. Also take 0.5mg of Ativan per day. Had hoped to stay on this regimen forever but am now going through the Coverage Gap phase of my Medicare Part D prescription coverage and will have to pay $400 per month instead of $100 until the end of the year just for the Clomipramine! Cannot find any drug company assistance and don’t qualify for any Medicaid Assistance. May have to go back on Zoloft just because of the cost difference. "

plusku (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've had problems with my OCD since I was approx 13 yrs old, with it's peak at 22yrs. I've tried several SSRI and other types of antidepressants but with this I'm almost totally anxiety-free since a year back."

Pdrick (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "Tried a few other SSRI meds such as fluoxetine and sertraline, both made my panic and anxiety worse. The Dr suggested clomipramine titrated up from 25mg to 75mg over 4 weeks. Had some side effects for two weeks such as dry mouth, headache and nausea but these passed. The clomipramine cured my anxiety, panic attacks, mild acrophobia and dizziness. A truly amazing and often overlooked medication."

Pineapples (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This drug was the answer that I was looking for when none of the SSRIs worked for my condition. I'm still in dose titration upwards, but the 75 mg is giving me considerable relief for my symptoms. It helped when no other SSRI did. I take it along with Zyprexa and Effexor, and this combination is very tolerable for me in terms of side effects. The only thing I don't like is that I have started getting acne on my face, but I think it is from one of the inactive ingredients of the medication, not from the active ingredients. I say this because I don't believe I had this side effect when I used a different pharmacy/generic company. For anyone with a ton of anxiety (of any kind), I strongly recommend clomipramine."

Nonaraza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!"

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I've been on Clomipramine for 6 months and am up to 50mg a day. That is the max dose I can take without flu-like symptoms and migraines. I've tried over 50 medications for panic disorder, and this is the only one that has worked for me. I take this along with 1-2 Ativan a day (.25mg) and I have my life back. Its not perfect, but now I can get out of the house and live my life for the most part. I don't know where I would be without it. I highly recommend Clomipramine if SSRI's don't work for you, or if they cause unbearable side effects."

Kelly April 16, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Anafranil for depression after having a stillborn baby. It was given to me intravenously and during one treatment I had a fit which caused my shoulder to dislocate. Following this I was prescribed a smaller dose in tablet form which made no difference to my depression. Not long after I had another fit which again resulted in a dislocated shoulder! Following this second incident I stopped taking the drug. All in all my shoulder dislocated 14 times due to damage caused by this drug until it was finally operated on but I never gained full use of the arm and still experience pain at times. I felt my personality had changed and I was unable to function and finally got better by talking to a very understanding psychologist . I still have episodes of depression but have learned to cope with them with determination and the help of relatives and friend. Needless to say I was not impressed with Anafranil in my case."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018