User Reviews for Clomipramine

Also known as: Anafranil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Clomipramine.

Panic Disorder

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
7.8

Summary of Clomipramine reviews 8.5 119 reviews

Reviews for Clomipramine

For Depression: "It's the best medication I've ever had for MDD and GAD. It initially came with sedation, tremor, constipation, urinary retention, body pain and so on, but after being on it for a year (and thanks to some acupuncture) all the side effects are gone. If not for the side effects I'd recommend it to everyone! Only current downside is it only comes in 25mg tablets apparently and I take 150mg so that's 6 tablets and that runs out quickly."

moadej (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 18/19, but I'd had intrusive thoughts from as early as I can remember. It just got worse to the point I was suicidal in my late teens. Anyway, luckily the psychiatrist I saw was able to diagnose me and prescribe me Anafranil. I can honestly say I probably owe my life to this medication. I took it for a number of years, before switching to sertraline. I find anafranil does make me drowsy, but the effectiveness of it is worth it at times. Not everyone can take SSRIs. I'd recommend trying this medication for OCD or other anxiety disorders :) Peace."

SarahAustralis (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Minimal benefit for OCD at all dosages (with and without combining other meds). Side effects: Very dry mouth, problems urinating, all sexual side effects, at 200mg seizure, tremor."

yearsofocd (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking Anafranil 200mg for OCD for three months and it's not working. I'm getting severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts and tremors. My GP gave me diazepam 2mg for when I get really bad and that helps but last week he told me to stop taking it, and the psychiatrist told me to just ignore my thoughts and anxiety. I can't get into a private psychiatrist or a public one for a second opinion so I don't know what to do."

Wilbur77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Took this medication for 5 months at 250mg and it done nothing for my OCD and GAD. It actually made my anxiety worse. So glad to be off it."

Lala1234511 December 16, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I am a doctor myself and so thankful for this drug..clomipramine. It completely erased my OCD and changed my life. I strongly recommend it for OCD."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I battled with OCD since being a child but I was only diagnosed after being hospitalised in my forties. I have been taking clomipramine at 250mg a day along with antipsychotics for the last 5 years. The intrusive thoughts that used to be so crippling have greatly reduced to a level I can handle. Clomipramine saved my life, literally, as I was hospitalised twice for attempted suicide. The only downside are the side effects, for me, as a man, the impotence and loss of libido are difficult to live with but it's a price worth paying."

Wolfman05 November 7, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication is absolutely life changing. After years of suffering anxiety OCD with mostly intrusive racing thoughts that caused insomnia this medication was a miracle!! I had tried so many failed medications and therapies that I became hopeless. I was prescribed this medication after being hospitalized and have never been back that was over 2 years ago. It took 4 weeks to work please give it time. I feel like I have my life back!"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I got prescribed Anafranil after not impressive effects of tritico and zoloft, and yeah, it worked for a few months, but I had to up my dosage every now and then. However after around 4 months of taking it, it stopped working, I capped the dosage, and had to switch therapists, as the former had no idea what to do with severe depression. However what I'd like to share is the withdrawal part. In the time I was off it, it was really bad, imagine being constantly drunk. You can not focus, your view is shifting, everything seems to be floating, also like a lagging game, it feels as the visual part comes later than the audio. Really weird, so if you are on it or planning to try, ask your doctor for a way to take it out gradually."

Push91 September 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "Was on Effexor, Seroquel and Prothiaden but could not shift the constant thoughts of killing myself. Driving became a night mare, just leaving the house was impossible as my thoughts kept telling me to walk in front of a bus etc etc. Anafranil literally saved my life and gave me back the wish to live. Most effective drug I have ever used and gradual withdrawal worked really well. Thoughts not completely gone but no pressure anymore, they just drive on by."

Man U Fan (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "One of the better drugs I have taken. It sure works - for me 125mg completely erased my OCD related depression and anxiety but there is a side effects price: excessive sweating, constipation and reduced libido."

Leon_cz (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen."

Shaedynn August 31, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on clomipramine for 33 years. I have had OCD since I was 5 years old and finally went to a psychiatrist when it became too debilitating to even leave the house when I was 34 years old. It was the first medication that the psychiatrist tried on me period within two months my OCD, intrusive thoughts and panic attacks were 99% gone and they continue to be. Side effects were pretty bad for the first couple of months and the loss of sexual interest lasted a year but then it came back and felt normal again. I do not know why this drug is so expensive since it is a generic. I know it is an older drug and not widely prescribed anymore but without insurance it is $800 a month. With my insurance I pay $75 a month."

Ginny O August 17, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on this drug for 16 years and it has been a life saver. The side effects were pretty intense at the start ..mainly constipation,dry mouth and gained 15 pounds. I persevered with the side effects for about 3 months because I just felt so damn normal. The side effects went away and weight returned to normal. I believe the only long term side effect is excessive sweating. Oh well I can live with that! I tried about 9 different meds for anxiety and depression and none of them gave me any side effects at all. 1 week on clomipramine and I was constipated big time and had major dry mouth but had joy back in my life!! Can't live without it!! Cost has gone up in Canada because I believe there are no longer any generic manufacturers.."

Pkaner (taken for 10 years or more) August 7, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Anafranil for 6 weeks. Increased slowly up to 100mg twice a day. Anafranil did not work for me at all! It seemed to have the opposite reaction than intended. My anxiety & OCD both increased significantly. My pain from Fibromyalgia also significantly worsened."

Anonymous August 6, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This med caused me to hear internal voices (auditory hallucinations, but in my head). Made me paranoid, anxious, scared to be alone, tired, nauseated, no appetite, and felt schizophrenic. Started at 50 mg, coming off immediately, per my PDoc. I hope it gives you relief, as most seem satisfied. Bummer it wasn't my life saver."

New to This (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

For Depression: "I would like to know everyone's experiences on this drug please. Does it cause insomnia?"

Newtome2017 July 17, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "After a long 12 years of being on Effexor XR my anxiety OCD was beginning to get worse, my GP felt it necessary to increase my Effexor to 150 mg and although I had done that in the passed Effexor was just not working anymore and actually began working against me, awful anxiety at night time and my OCD "I have pure-o" and I felt I couldn't get things under control, I had enough and it was time for change, I saw a different GP who was knowledgeable with Anxiety and he switched me to CLOMIPRAMINE/ANAFRANIL 50 mg to start, I only had a few bad days from the initial switch because Effexor can be nasty to come off but then my life came back and I feel great! Just remember nothing will rid you of OCD but this med is great to manage it!"

marko2751 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've only been on this medicine for 3 weeks but it's already doing wonders. I still have "the thoughts" but they don't "take root" like they normally do. They come and go throughout the day rather than being ALL I can think about. My Dr is slowly upping my dose to 100mg, and I'm currently on 75mg and already seeing benefits. It takes a few weeks to REALLY start working so if you are on week 1 or 2 give it some time. It's been amazing at helping me fight my compulsions. It makes me really believe OCD is a MEDICAL issue. The morning is still the worst for me, when all my thoughts first hit me, but since I've started this drug, I can make it through the day so, so much easier."

LynnCtob3 June 12, 2017

For Panic Disorder: "I was on Paxil for over 10 years and they slowly started to stop working to the point of my previous agoraphobia returning. I tried augmentation with Abilify but the side effects were horrific. I was terrified nothing would ever work again as I tried a few other meds like Remeron which did nothing. Then my Psych decided to start me on clomipramine. I started very slow due to fear of side effects. Its been 5 weeks and I'm currently on 87.5mg. As of 5 days ago I started to see and feel the benefits! It's really amazing! No more daily anxiety to the point if panic. I have started to leave the house alone and go to the shops or for a walk which I hadn't been able to do for many months. This drug quiet ls your mind and gives you confidence!"

Davey W April 22, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have had severe OCD since I was 14 years old. I suffer from obsessions alone. I also suffer from Bipolar I. I was on Luvox or Fluvoxamine for 15 years and it took away most of my obsessions. After 15 years it no longer worked and it took much convincing for my psychiatrist to allow me to start on Clomipramine. I have been taking Clomipramine for 6 weeks. I was surprised at how few side effects I have. I can see well now, I couldn't see well on Fluvoxamine. Even with a new prescription I could not see a street sign. I have no problems with Clomipramine. More doctors should offer this drug"

ArkEN April 20, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects."

Living my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I used drug for 4 months but I experienced auditory hallucinations. It made me stress. I don't understand why it increased my OCD."

Canan123 February 24, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years."

Anonymous February 15, 2017

For Panic Disorder: "Clomipramine and Alprazolam have shut down my panic attacks"

Paul F H (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017