User Reviews for Clomipramine

Also known as: Anafranil

Learn more about Clomipramine.

Panic Disorder 16 reviews 19 medications

Premature Ejaculation 1 reviews 3 medications

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 70 reviews 11 medications

Summary of Clomipramine reviews 100 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Clomipramine

For Panic Disorder: "I was on Paxil for over 10 years and they slowly started to stop working to the point of my previous agoraphobia returning. I tried augmentation with Abilify but the side effects were horrific. I was terrified nothing would ever work again as I tried a few other meds like Remeron which did nothing. Then my Psych decided to start me on clomipramine. I started very slow due to fear of side effects. Its been 5 weeks and I'm currently on 87.5mg. As of 5 days ago I started to see and feel the benefits! It's really amazing! No more daily anxiety to the point if panic. I have started to leave the house alone and go to the shops or for a walk which I hadn't been able to do for many months. This drug quiet ls your mind and gives you confidence!"

Davey W April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have had severe OCD since I was 14 years old. I suffer from obsessions alone. I also suffer from Bipolar I. I was on Luvox or Fluvoxamine for 15 years and it took away most of my obsessions. After 15 years it no longer worked and it took much convincing for my psychiatrist to allow me to start on Clomipramine. I have been taking Clomipramine for 6 weeks. I was surprised at how few side effects I have. I can see well now, I couldn't see well on Fluvoxamine. Even with a new prescription I could not see a street sign. I have no problems with Clomipramine. More doctors should offer this drug"

ArkEN April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects."

Living my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I used drug for 4 months but I experienced auditory hallucinations. It made me stress. I don't understand why it increased my OCD."

Canan123 February 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years."

Anonymous February 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Clomipramine and Alprazolam have shut down my panic attacks"

Paul F H (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've been taking Clomipramine for a year now. I started at 200mg and went quickly up to 300mg (the max you can take). It gives me a very dry mouth and constipation. Also remember that this drug needs to be given in very high dosages to work (200mg-300mg). If a doctor just gives you 10 or 50mg, it's not going to work. Also, this is an older drug, you likely will have to ask for it by name. I have pure Obsessive disorder (no compulsions), and tried Prozac before this with no success. A few days on this and I noticed a big difference. I've been maintaining on 300mg for a year now. I don't like the side effects, but I won't go off of it, because it's been an amazing drug that works for me. It took away about 90% and now I can easily manage what's left"

OCD1025 February 3, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Anafranil is really a wonderful drug. It helps people like me who have generalized anxiety and obsessions. Before this, I used Lexapro it also did help but not that much and took longer like about 5-6 weeks to benefit from it. However, with Anafranil it took only about one week to 10 days to feel positive results which made me much calmer and saved me from terrible morning anxiety attacks. I only used 50 mg and now I've been using 75 mg and I felt great! Yes, side effects, especially sexual dysfunction upset me but it rather turned to be delayed ejaculation which is not so bad especially for my partner.:) To cut a long story short, I really advise you to try this medication if you didn't have relief from SSRIs."

Enjoy the silence (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Just started this medicine for my OCD intrusive memories and thoughts problem with extreme anxiety attacks . 10mg at the moment . So lets see"

waqasvic (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Iv'e been on over 6 SRRIs along with the combination of benzodiazepines over the past 7 years for the treatment of depression/ptsd/OCD. Nothing has been so life changing and effective as Clomipramine. Its the most expensive prescription I've had had ($40/mo), but its also the most helpful. I noticed the benefits within 2 weeks, with its effects continuing to increase over time. I've been able to wean off of the benzo, and my anxiety has stayed at a manageable level. My OCD has subsided immensely, but more importantly this medication helped pull me out of a deep depression I had been stuck in for years. I couldn't be more grateful that my psychologist had the idea to try this medication, as I hear it is an older drug.TRY IT! :)"

Megg123 December 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have severe early onset OCD I have found that clomipramine (anafranil) has taken the edge off of it. I've been taking it for 4.5 years SLOWLY building up to 200mg but have found that the side effects of this medication to be too much, in particular the excessive sweating. I am regularly dripping with sweat to the point I have been asked if it is raining outside because I'm soaked. I'm thinking of coming off of it because the sweating is exacerbating the OCD as I now have obsessions about it and I'm constantly worried about people looking at me because I'm sweating so much, which isn't very feminine. I've tried to come off of it a few times but every time I do my OCD regresses into overdrive- highlighting how affective it is for OCD"

UK Bound (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have severe ocd, depression, and social anxiety. After reaching the dose of 100mg per day, this med was extremely effective for my depression, ocd, and social anxiety. In fact it is the only med I have tried that has been very effective for my social anxiety. It absolutely changed my life in just 2-3 weeks after starting it. One catch though It caused really bad difficulty urinating. It was to the point that I had to get off of the med. I will say though after trying around 16-20 psych meds over the course of 10 years it is the most effective hands down. I'm actually starting it again because the trade off really is worth it."

Tsuluzo012 December 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Clomipramine has done a wonderful job for my dermatillomania. I've tried many different meds and this one works the best. I think it caused a bit of weight gain, but that could've been due to my hypothyroidism! I'm on thyroid meds now so I'll check back when stable and metabolism starts getting in gear. I'm on 75-100mgs daily of the Anafranil. I don't plan on going off this med in the near future!"

24hr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This drug is a life savour. I have been on every other new/old medication. Nothing is as effective as clomipramine in my experience with my condition. Side effect were pretty severe but after almost 5 years they are pretty much none existent. I suffer from OCD, GAD, and MDD."

Chef Jojo September 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Tried many other medications (Paxil,Zoloft,etc) for anixety and OCD and this was a life saver"

jdig (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Tried every AD pill, and this is the only one that's worked for me."

RobInWoods (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I have had anxiety and depression since childhood and self medicated with alcohol and street drugs. I got sober 29 years ago but after being sober for 2 years I had a nervous breakdown my Dr put me on Xanax and Clomiprine I got better. Years passed and I have had setbacks and Drs prescribed all SSRI's and continued to increase benzodiazepines to an unsafe level. The Drs took me off the benzodiazepines and Clomiprine. My anxiety and depression have returned. I went back to my Clomiprine a week ago and I already have my life back."

vmrdoug12 (taken for 10 years or more) September 7, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I'm a brazilian boy and i suffer from GAD, panic and depression. I was trying to find an alternative to Effexor (which was great but caused sexual problems). After using lots of meds without the same success my doc prescribed me Clomipramine. It did work!!!! And without the sexual side effects. But it has other side effects that i couldnt take like... everything tasted like rotten meat, my mouth and eyes were always dry (even drinking loads of water), my muscles felt so weak that sometimes i thougt i would not have the strengh to get out of bed, hands and chin trembling, sweating like hell... it completely deshumanized me. But if you're looking for something to kill your panic yeah this will work probably at the smallest dose"

Adrian123 August 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have tried many of the SSRI's with no success. I was on a tricyclic many years ago with great results. My doctor put me on Clomipiramine and the results were good. I saw a good improvement in racing thoughts with a decrease in anxiety. I should of asked for this drug in the first place. The side effects are rough though. I experienced excessive sweating, dry mouth, blurry vision, constipation, postural hypotension and impotence/ejaculatory issues. I remember these effects from years ago when I was on a tricyclic. I would rather live with it than be paralyzed with anxiety."

RJR555 August 4, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "on 75mg is enough for me some side effects sweating and constipation tried 3 different SSRI's and this was the only one I could stick with! Life saver, highly recommend"

lauzmcclauz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression."

Cheesus July 13, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I had a break up and was suffering extreme anxiety and depression. I was not functioning at work, in life and suffered for several months. I was getting worse and worse, not sleeping and finally broke down and decided to take an anti depressant. After about 4 days something changed a little within a two weeks my anxiety went away and I began sleeping again as well. I weaned off of the ativan I was taking and this drug saved my life. I probably would have been hospitalized if I didn't go on it. Side effects, sweating (a lot), constipation, and of course ejaculatory issues but still could have sex for my partner. This side effects were easy to deal with when compared to my anxiety. Save my life!!!"

Thank Ful (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have terrible OCD and I went on this drug after celexa stopped working after about 10 years. This drug is a miracle. Within 3 days my OCD was subsiding. It took about 2 months to really see the complete effects. With that being said. There are more side effects than anything I've ever taken. I get manic from this medicine, constipation, trouble swollowing occasionally , sexual anorgasmia, and insane weight gain. I eat an amazing plant based paleo and grain free diet and I still gain weight if I eat any fruit. But if you want a drug that's incredibly effective. This is a great option."

Aleasa June 4, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The most side effects I have ever heard of. I experienced nearly all of the side effects at one point or the other over the last month and a half. I am currently bed ridden trying to get off this medicine. It's a nightmare."

Bobby Donuts April 24, 2016