User Reviews for Clomipramine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Anafranil

Clomipramine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Clomipramine

BeFree · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

Anafranil (clomipramine): “I took Anafranil for 5 months at a dose of 25mgs. Definitely took some power away from the intrusive thoughts but not fully. Had a hard time with being tired in the morning, terrible dreams, mild consultation. On a positive note I did not gain any weight and was able to workout regularly. Tried to go up to 50mg but that got rid of my libido. Felt like taking an upper and downer at the same time. Some of the time I felt good, other times I felt depressed. Unfortunately, couldn’t tolerate a higher dose. But if you really need to shut off the noise this may be the way to go. Best of luck.”

abby · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

“I started taking clomipramine around 3 weeks ago and have noticed some improvements with my OCD and panic symptoms. I was dissociating and having frequent panic attacks along with obsessive compulsive thoughts and compulsions severely. The first week taking this I noticed I no longer was having panic attacks and my depression also improved. By week two I noticed my OCD symptoms lessened maybe by 50%. (Btw I am taking 25 mg daily alongside 10 mg of Lexapro). I like this combo so far although I am experiencing so many side effects. Every time I stand up I get extremely dizzy to the point of where I feel like I might faint (I don't know what is causing this), I also am having difficulty peeing? As well as trouble reaching orgasm. Despite the side effects it is improving my symptoms!”

Skakergirl59 July 17, 2020

“clomipramine was TERRIBLE. I took just one at 25mg and I woke up in the middle of the night panicking, could not feel my body, and the reaction continued in the morning.”

thewayofknowing · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2020

“Worked right off the bat. Just 25mg at night worked way better than any antipsychotic I've tried (SSRIs barely helped at all) My mind has final quiet down. It's a blissful feeling altogether. Definitely give this a shot”

Min (Australia) · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

“I’ve suffered OCD, Depression (little), but massive Anxiety, I was on Effexor-XR now the Doctor is weaning me off the Effexor and started me on clomipramine 25mg, then 50mg, tonight I start 75mg per night. I was hesitant due to the reviews, but after finding this section, I’m feeling hopeful. I don’t want to give a negative feedback, as this will be my 4 week only.”

cw · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

“clomipramine made me gain weight which furthered my OCD compulsions, therefore, I cannot truly say if it helped me or not. The weight gain was detrimental but I did hear it was gold standard. Just not for me I guess.”

Chaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2020

“Out of all the medicines I have tried for my anxiety/OCD, this one clomipramine has worked the best! I take 50 mg a day, and it took about 3-4 weeks to start noticing a difference. I went from OCD thoughts running my life all day/everyday to having small thoughts throughout the day that I am able to easily dismiss. My panic attacks are also gone!! Side effects have been dry mouth, a little bit of weight gain (maybe 5 pounds) and sexual side effects (delayed ejaculation) This medicine is expensive and has caused a few side effects BUT IT IS WORTH IT!”

Ocdistheworst · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“I have tried many SSRI for OCD for a long time but none of them worked like clomipramine. If you can tolerate adverse effects it will be a pure recovery of your exhausted mind!”

Dev India · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

Anafranil (clomipramine): “Clomipramine is the best medication for OCD. I have tried paroxetine, fluoxetine etc but none of them works as much as the clomipramine works. I took it high dosages 75mg per day..now my OCD has gone. It would be also very helpful if you consult with a therapist..my doctors give me sleeping medicine first those doctors are fraud !!!!According to my experience just take the dosage regularly at a certain amount, you will be cured quickly! Good Luck ”

Mossy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 22, 2020

“The only drug to make a significant difference for me. Has approximately halved my depression, anxiety and OCD. The main side effect is dry mouth. I can actually enjoy life now after twenty years of misery.”

LJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

“Felt this drug immediately when it was first prescribed to me--within a day my obsessive thoughts were gone. The dry mouth side effect went away after a week, and I appreciated the drowsiness my nighttime dose gave me. All was well until 3 weeks after starting, I suddenly could not control my bladder! I full-on peed my pants twice (luckily I was home both times) before I weaned myself off the med. I was only taking 25mg once every other day.”

Kal · Taken for 10 years or more December 22, 2019

“Been on clomipramine for most of my adult life ,OCD took over my childhood, but now I'm free to be the person I am, due to this drug, no major side effects, bad teeth in later life. No price to pay!! Would recommend at an instant.”

Muzz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“I started using this drug clomipramine 5 weeks ago , I had been on lexapro which didn't help . After 3 months my doctor put me on clomipramine as he diagnosed me with OCD. I had bad anxiety depression and major intrusive thoughts continuously all day long. I'm now up to 100mg four tablets at night just before bed , I also have to use sleeping tablets to get to sleep at the moment but the intrusive thoughts have calmed down a lot. In the mornings I wake up a little tired. I get mild constipation and dry mouth. Is 100mg too big of a dose? Also is it best to take this medication at night or morning ? How long does it take to get the full benefit on this medication . Muzz ”

harvi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

“I began anafranil in October. I was already on lithium and buspar. At only 25mg it cleared my head and took all the fear, pain, noise, and anguish away. I didn't have a crying spell for a whole month (as opposed to once a week or more.) As the intrusive obsessive thoughts came back, we raised it to 50mg. Everything was great until the obsessions came back again. We raised it to 75mg and I fell headfirst into a crazed depression. I could not stop crying for the life of me. All day. At home, at work. We raised it to 100mg and I ended up in the hospital an uncontrollable crying rage monster. I am so lucky I didn't lose my job. We have since reduced me to 25 again. It kind of works but not nearly as well as when I began. It's better than nothing but I have no idea why it gave me my whole life back and then snatched it away overnight????”

D · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 30, 2019

“I’m 44. Have been living with terrible obsessive thoughts my whole life. Yes, I have depression and anxiety, but even when I felt “happy” and “free” from those, the thoughts wouldn’t stop. I thought I was just a negative person. Started researching and asked my dr if I could try Anafranil. Best decision I ever made. The thoughts were almost gone! Then I switched jobs and had to wait for new insurance to kick in. Anafranil was about $1100 without insurance. I’m about to start again. The only thing I hate is the terrible dry mouth. Otherwise it’s amazing!”

Opt November 27, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine): “The best medication so far for OCD is anafranil. It’s completely cured my OCD. Remember OCD is just a medical problem due to unbalanced chemicals in you brain. It’s not you, it’s your brain sending you false messages. Don’t believe the obsessive thoughts, they may feel real but they are fake !”

Bekah Joy November 3, 2019

“clomipramine is a miracle drug for OCD!!! Much less intrusive thoughts and when I do get them, they're not as scary.”

accn · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 27, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine): “Have had depression since a young teen and started to have OCD thoughts and compulsions at about 15. Tried several anti depressants which always helped (apart from Prozac) with my mood but never with the OCD. Psychiatrist said that anafranil was basically my last hope and I have been on it now for nearly 2 years. 25mg twice a day. My obsessive thoughts are practically gone and the anxiety around my compulsions is so mild. Never felt sick or sleepy starting on them either. Very hard to find this medication anywhere around where I live in Ireland. Always has to be ordered in advance.”

Ak · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

“Worst medication for OCD. It has caused severe constipation and very difficulty in bowel movement(painful).”

perfectionist September 24, 2019

“I first started suffering with OCD (intrusive bad thoughts) in my early twenties. I continued without seeking help but eventually I was seen by a psychiatrist.The drugs prescribed were of no use and I continued in pain and anxiety for many years suffering the most horrendous headaches.At the age of 41 I again sought help. The new brilliant, young female psychiatrist, put me on Clomipramine. I cannot thank her enough. I am now 73 still taking 25 mg clomipramine daily, if I can find them. Every 28 days, before asking for a repeat presciption, I have to call numerous pharmacies to see if they have any in stock. Sometimes, very rarely, I find 25 mg clomipramine tablets but mostly 10 mg. I have a supply of 70 x 10 mg tablets for 28 days taking 20 one day and 30 the next and so on. I cannot recommend clomipramine highly enough, it has been my life saver”

B · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

“Took 2 doses of clomipramine and it made my OCD worse. Wiped out my ability to sleep, and destroyed my sense of taste. Pepsi tastes like water now. Thanks!”

BobbyfromPhilly · Taken for 10 years or more August 20, 2019

“Anafranil or Clomipramine has completely changed my life. I have been taking it for over 25 years (I'm 51) and wish I started it 25 years sooner! It started to ease my OCD symptoms almost immediately. I was first given several SSRIs and could not take the side effects - they made my OCD much worse. Don't settle for the medication of the month or what your doc has seen work in the past. Everyone's brain chemistry is different and just because Clomipramine is old does not mean it's ineffective. I also have Adult ADD. My meds for that have not proven to cause any problems with the Clomipramine. Best wishes to all sufferers.”

kellymcnamara1994 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine): “Anafranil is AMAZING for OCD. I’ve tried Zoloft, Prozac and Luvox— but they all made me hypomanic because I have bipolar tendencies. Anafranil, however, has not done that, but rather almost cured me of my OCD (in conjunction with CBT)! I have intrusive thoughts maybe 2x a day or less! Before that they were constant (and so were the compulsions). OCD was ruining my life for 10 years and now I’m 24 and I’m feeling great :) I’m on other meds for depression and anxiety and ADD.”

Laura April 22, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine): “It (anafranil) saved my life - I highly recommend it for OCD”

cbtodacb · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 5, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine): “This medication was a life-saver for me after years and years of very, very horrible social phobia and terrible panic attacks (lasting hours) in relation to having committed the 'unforgivable sin' (something Jesus Christ warned of committing). My social phobia had begun when I was 15 years old and nothing had helped up until starting Anafranil at 23 years old. Had tried several SSRI's with no help i.e. Lexapro at 60mg daily for years. Anafranil (at a high dose, 12 x 25mg tablets daily) has completely taken my social phobia away as well as my 'unforgivable sin' obsessions. Has been effective for 5 years and is still very effective. Gave me my life back. I use in conjunction with 4mg of Clonazepam and 75mg of Lamitrogine daily.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder