User Reviews for Clomipramine to treat Depression

Also known as: Anafranil

Clomipramine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Clomipramine

JGhoulie June 4, 2020

“I was in SSRI’s for 17 years and it only helped the OCD. I was still pretty miserable with depression. No doctor mentioned it until I ended up in a psychiatric hospital where they started putting me on clomipramine back in January of 2013. The first dosage of 25 milligrams gave me an acute anxiety attack. But I got over it. I went up to 50 mg in a few days and felt better. However 100 mg made the symptoms worse so I went back down to 50 mg and I was happy as a clam within 2 weeks. I’ve never been this happy or optimistic in my life. The only side effect that has become a problem is a significant amount of weight gain. At least 40-50 lbs. I’m making every effort to reverse it”

ImADuck · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

“Strong, nasty drug! Given clomipramine for anxiety, obsessive thoughts/ruminations and depression. SSRIs are not much help, and Effexor helped for a while and then stopped. Pristiq didn’t help. So we tried clomipramine, an older drug. I only took 25mg for 4 days before calling it quits! Very strong sedating effects but didn't really put me to sleep the first 2 days. Then the next three days, wow! This put me on my back the entire day! I couldn’t function and do anything. I just wanted to lay down because I was so exhausted but couldn’t sleep!!! That’s disasterous! I hated that feeling! It also gave me restless legs which further worsened my ability to stay asleep! Now I’m gonna try buspar since I’m so sensitive to medication.”

Ufa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 4, 2020

“I've been about 8 months on clomipramine. It give me obsessive thoughts that weren't there before I started this drug (I was on on it for depression. I shouldn't have taken it. But it was a must since my psychiatrist prescribed it”

Eul · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

“This medication doesn't work for me I've been on it for two month on 75mg clomipramine. Now my psychiatrist has made it 100mg. He said to give it a try for two month”

Jake · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 4, 2019

“Terrible medication that is way too powerful for anybody sensitive to medications. Caused a lot of nervousness mania and mixed states for me when used in a depressive episode when struggling with OCD and needed safe mood stabilizing meds as well as safer OCD options like luvox at a low dose. Stick with safer options this stuff is terrible it is very powerful.”

Charmed · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2019

“This is a VERY effective Rx; it totally cured my depression & repetitive thinking, but is the polar opposite of Imipramine & amitriptyline in side effects. The others were sedating, increased my appetite, & decimated my memory, Clomipramine decreased my appetite & gave me tons of energy. My outlook changed 180 degrees. It may increase anxiety for some, but made me feel so well & happy that I wasn’t worried about anything (not didn’t care/was catatonic as on Imipramine). I’m no longer always obsessing about the minutiae to the point of being impossible to live with, fear no longer motivates me. This could make someone who is bipolar (last reviewer) more manic & takes a while to adjust your sleep pattern to, but this prescription is a Godsend. I’ve been on & off antidepresants for 35 years. I wish I found it sooner. If the other TCAs made you slow/confused, have weird skin problems rashes/acne, try this.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2019

“OMG everybody on these reviews is so keen on telling people to try clomipramine are you kidding me? If you are sensitive to meds this stuff it the worst it is much much more powerful than other options. It can make you extremely unstable and unwell there’s a reason newer treatments were developed, they are much more selective and this is the very, very very last resort after literally trying everything. I was put on this during a depressive episode when I needed different bipolar options and it turned me into something scary plus caused constant nervousness. I recommend more gentle mood stabilizing or antidepressant options over this stuff. I feel it completely harmed me after being put on it at a high dose up to 150 mg for a long by a reckless hospital that just made things worse. I was in a vicious cycle of being on this terrible med. If you need to try it make sure you take the lowest dose powerful powerful stuff.”

Nate. · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

“Iv tried many SSRI's and SNRI's with little help, with augmentations of all sorts. Clomipramine is the only drug that has worked well so far for my depression. I did a combo of rtms and clomipramine at 100mg now, I am finally pulling free from the grips of severe clinical depression. Thank you clomipramine!”

Alexanderwlk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2019

“Clomipramine causes mania, psychedelic effects, hallucinations that won't go away. I think this is too strong for bipolar people. Dangerous”

cier · Taken for 10 years or more January 26, 2019

Anafranil (clomipramine): “This excellent for depression, but use of the established big names such as NOVARTIS or CIBA GEIGY. I found the anafranil from ALFASIGMA in Milan, Italy not good and believe that this brand has INFERIOR pills.”

Welshwarbler · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2019

“Help, clomipramine has been discontinued! Can't get it in UK anymore. I have been on it on and off over 30 years. Having an episode of depression now which started Sept 2018, now Jan 2019 and now being tapered to sertraline. Scared!!”

basia · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2018

“Just started on it few days ago but I have noticed that my racing thoughts have stopped, so far I don't have any side effects, but to keep calm I have been using natural supplements and it seems to be working for me. Good luck to all”

Bird · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2018

“I have been taking this medication for. as little over two weeks. I started off at 50 mg and then after 14 days, I increased to 100 mg. I thought I would start to feel better, hut I have been so depressed. I have still been struggling with the OCD. I also have bipolar 2. I am also wondering if I am feeling like this from coming off of Lexapro. I am just overwhelmed. I really want this medicine to work. Maybe it will just take more time...”

Cera · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 17, 2018

“This did seem to give me a bit of energy but the side effects were not good. At the highest dose I was shaking so bad I couldn't write, I got dizzy every time I stood up, had electric shock feelings in my head and terrible twitching all evening and night. Luckily all the side effects stopped when I came off of it, but this was definitely not the right drug for me.”

Betty · Taken for 10 years or more July 31, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine): “I have been using Anafranil (clomipramine) for more than 10 years. It has done wonders. I only take 25mg, but that is enough for my OCD. I can take more if I want but don't want any side effects. Anafranil did what no other antidepressant could do. It is an older drug but for me it's better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

Anafranil (clomipramine): “I was prescribed Anafranil for depression after having a stillborn baby. It was given to me intravenously and during one treatment I had a fit which caused my shoulder to dislocate. Following this I was prescribed a smaller dose in tablet form which made no difference to my depression. Not long after I had another fit which again resulted in a dislocated shoulder! Following this second incident I stopped taking the drug. All in all my shoulder dislocated 14 times due to damage caused by this drug until it was finally operated on but I never gained full use of the arm and still experience pain at times. I felt my personality had changed and I was unable to function and finally got better by talking to a very understanding psychologist . I still have episodes of depression but have learned to cope with them with determination and the help of relatives and friend. Needless to say I was not impressed with Anafranil in my case.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 7, 2018

“Since finally demanding to wean off this drug my life has improved dramatically. My docs always said iIcould not afford to stop this med although I had 7 hospitalization and 3 suicide attempts. After 25yrs and 30 grand out of pocket I started weaning process from 200mg to now 25mg. Cerebral blood flow was inhibited as well as blood flow to all other organs most noticeably I now have the return of erections. Constipation which took me to the ER for manual extraction is now gone, urinary inhibition sometimes up to 1 2hrs is gone. This med worsened my depression in many ways and cost me 20 years of a good life as well as loss of career, family and self confidence, dignity,r espect and hundreds of thousands of dollars in income, medical bills and more. Hopefully this may help others who are on this drug or are considering it for treatment as well as docs who prescribe, especially long term. That 's all. Good luck to all!”

moadej · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 7, 2018

“It's the best medication I've ever had for MDD and GAD. It initially came with sedation, tremor, constipation, urinary retention, body pain and so on, but after being on it for a year (and thanks to some acupuncture) all the side effects are gone. If not for the side effects I'd recommend it to everyone! Only current downside is it only comes in 25mg tablets apparently and I take 150mg so that's 6 tablets and that runs out quickly.”

Push91 September 14, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine): “I got prescribed Anafranil after not impressive effects of tritico and zoloft, and yeah, it worked for a few months, but I had to up my dosage every now and then. However after around 4 months of taking it, it stopped working, I capped the dosage, and had to switch therapists, as the former had no idea what to do with severe depression. However what I'd like to share is the withdrawal part. In the time I was off it, it was really bad, imagine being constantly drunk. You can not focus, your view is shifting, everything seems to be floating, also like a lagging game, it feels as the visual part comes later than the audio. Really weird, so if you are on it or planning to try, ask your doctor for a way to take it out gradually.”

Man U Fan · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2017

Anafranil (clomipramine): “Was on Effexor, Seroquel and Prothiaden but could not shift the constant thoughts of killing myself. Driving became a night mare, just leaving the house was impossible as my thoughts kept telling me to walk in front of a bus etc etc. Anafranil literally saved my life and gave me back the wish to live. Most effective drug I have ever used and gradual withdrawal worked really well. Thoughts not completely gone but no pressure anymore, they just drive on by.”

Newtome2017 July 17, 2017

“I would like to know everyone's experiences on this drug please. Does it cause insomnia?”

Megg123 December 28, 2016

“Iv'e been on over 6 SRRIs along with the combination of benzodiazepines over the past 7 years for the treatment of depression/ptsd/OCD. Nothing has been so life changing and effective as Clomipramine. Its the most expensive prescription I've had had ($40/mo), but its also the most helpful. I noticed the benefits within 2 weeks, with its effects continuing to increase over time. I've been able to wean off of the benzo, and my anxiety has stayed at a manageable level. My OCD has subsided immensely, but more importantly this medication helped pull me out of a deep depression I had been stuck in for years. I couldn't be more grateful that my psychologist had the idea to try this medication, as I hear it is an older drug.TRY IT! :)”

RobInWoods · Taken for 10 years or more September 11, 2016

“Tried every AD pill, and this is the only one that's worked for me.”

Cheesus July 13, 2016

Anafranil (clomipramine): “I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression.”

Ela44 November 28, 2015

“I have tried everything the only one that really helped me after I lost hope The doctors don't give it to you because its an old medication, the patent is over and the big pharmaceutical companys don't make any money. But believe me it is the best give it 2 month chance.”