User Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Also known as: Luvox, Luvox CR

Learn more about Fluvoxamine.

Fluvoxamine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluvoxamine to treat Anxiety and Stress

"This really helps my anxiety. I would have random bouts of anxiety throughout the day and this has reduced it by probably 90%. The interesting side effect I have from this medication is that I talk a lot in my sleep since starting it. It's not a bothersome side effect. My husband and I think the things I yell out are funny. I recommend this medication for anxiety."

OpieWinston October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't let the bad reviews fool you! I've tried about 10 different antidepressants. This one's the best. Yes there is no "perfect pill". But this one's close to it. I finally have had a break with my obsessive thoughts. I definitely feel less anxious and depressed. This is the only SSRI to not make me feel numb. And the only effective anti-depressant for me. It doesn't make me feel jittery either. When I first started this medication I had issues with drowsiness, insomnia and sexual side effects. But all of that went away in a months time. I really hope this medication doesn't disappear! It's quite literally a life saver. So thankful to whoever made this drug."

FSIBP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on 50 mg for a week and didn't feel anything except loss of appetite and anxiety. Doctor said that was not a therapeutic dose and upped my dosage to 100mg. Four days into the 100mg dose and I am a wreck. I had bad panic attacks, extreme nausea, and the shakes. I did throw up as well. While I suffer from thought compulsions, I also deal with generalized anxiety disorder. This did not help at all and made me worse. Now I am back to 50mg and working my way off... horrible experience and feel sick. If you are looking for an anxiety med, DO NOT use this!"

Stephanie anxiety July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I took luvox after coming off sertraline for bad side effect, my main problem are insomnia and I can't sleep at night after I had my baby 6 month ago. I started 1st on 25 mg for about 3 days and after that 50mg for the next 2 weeks. I can feel the different in my anxiety but sleep and mood not improved. My pdoc increase my dose to 75mg , but it seems to make me even worst. Then after 2 week my pdoc increase the dose to 100mg. I can feel the difference but not in good way. My moods are still low and I just don't wanna do anything. My sleep also has not improved. I'm struggling every day. I developed new instrusive thought too. I can't hold it anymore because this AD do make me worst than before. Bad AD !!!!!!!"

azrwty June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I've been on it from 2 months for my anxiety and its working pretty fine but I've decreased libido and low sexual drive and its concerning for a young guy to have this sort of side effects. I am gonna consult my doctor about this"

PalashT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I have been on Luvox for many years, it has normalized my emotions/anxiety levels. I have gone off it once or twice but depression & anxiety have once again flared to the unbearable. I sometimes feel tired but I also have fibromyalgia so that could be causing it. I often have a dry mouth & experience low libido but nothing as bad as the hopelessness I felt when not on it - Luvox has improved the quality of my life"

SVeeBee February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I've had a severe depression with anxiety. I must have tried countless products, one worse than the next. I've been on Cipralex for 15 years - but it stopped working. Latuda was terrible - why did they give it to me??... I can't even recall half the names. Finally, there's a perfect solution for me. It's so terrific I need to share it. I take Cymbalta (min. dose) in the morning (with my synthroid), and take Luvox (min. dose) at night, along with half a zoplicone (7.5 mg) for sleeping. I haven't felt this well since I can remember. The Cymbalta takes care of my fibromyalgia / headaches, and the Luvox has cleared away all the anxiety. It's a miracle. It's been a month now. I'm back to work and feeling well."

Thea-B.D. January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I found out I had severe OCD and anxiety, I was prescribed this med. I was so scared to take it at first because literally I thought I would die. Then my anxiety got so bad that I eventually promised myself I would take it for 1 month, push through the side effects, and if I didn't feel better, I would quit. I've been taking it now for 8 months and I can honestly tell you this was the best decision of my life. I feel like a real person... thoughts come and then leave. I don't get caught up on them like I used to. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 and not a 10 is for side effects in the beginning. But, the negative responses I see from everyone else seems like choices that they chose. This isn't a fix your life pill, but it helps."

DPM123 January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 50 mg of fluvoxamine 8 days. It works amazing for getting the horrible thoughts I experience daily to leave my mind - I can just turn it off & feel normal & calm. If it didn't have so many negative side effects, it would be the perfect medication for me. I've been experiencing headaches, nausea, lack of motivation, trouble getting up in the morning, lack of concentration, it's completely killed my sex drive & it make me feel almost wired at bed time , before I crash into a drug induced sleep. It also makes me feel constantly hungry, even after a large meal. If I were to keep taking this I think I'd become obese. I rated it a 3 because it worked for what I needed it for. Disappointed it wasn't for me:("

ACKM January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "My son was prescribed this for anxiety and racing thoughts... Helped initially with improved mood... but very tired. After a week or 2 noticed noticed increase in impulsive behaviour... lying, stealing, cheating, rudeness. Sleep remain reduced and diarrheoa and headaches. We have finally reduced it off... but still quite emotiinal"

Loz83 September 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken this med for a little over two years now, along with Clomipramine. It really helped a lot in the beginning,relieved general anxiety disorder and many ocd symptoms. You have to give it a chance, meaning the first few weeks you may feel sick and emotional lows but it really helps after a while. It cured my GAD and again it helps my OCD but not 100 percent. Still better than the previous meds I tried like Zoloft and Paxil, those never helped me. I'm currently still on it but I may try another med because it does make me sleepy often now. If nothing else helps with ocd like this med then will stay on it. I'd recommend trying it."

DaxR August 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I'm a Brazilian boy, 21yrs old and i suffer from mild depression and GAD. Effexor was the holy grail for my HUGE anxiety, unfortunely it came along with sexual problems. My doc said Luvox had a lower chance of having these kind of side effects. Its been a month since I switched to it and i felt nothing but a 70% return in my anxiety using half of the maximum daily dosage. Still cant ejaculate neither have the same libido as i used to."

Adrian123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just began this med and it's 3:00Am Mind you, I took my first pill at 2:00 pm the previous day. personally, I do not like it! I can not sleep, my mouth is dry, and very restless. My anxiety and compulsive ( over thinking things ) thoughts are overwhelming. I'm going to rate this medication poor with my experience. It's not my cup of tea."

MIgirl78 July 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor put me on this medication because she was unwilling to give me Xanax or any medication in its category for my anxiety. 5 days ago I started taking this medication 50 mg at night. Second day I noticed a numb feeling in my mouth and trouble falling asleep. 3rd day I noticed an unwillingness to get off my recliner. I didn't want to do anything. By the 4th day I was having cold sweats and throwing up ! So sick to my stomach which made me more depressed. No thanks! I threw it in the garbage and called the pharmacy to refill my lexapro."

acronimji July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a really violent reaction to this medication the first time I took it. Projectile vomit. It was so awful that I'm not willing to take it again."

Jujubeee April 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on LUVOX (brand name) in '96. LUVOX (brand name) is not made anymore. Switched to generic flumoxomine (Apotex brand in 2000. ) Worked great. Stopped working COLD as of late 2013. Wrote FDA, Solvay tested my prescription, said nothing wrong. All the other generic fluvoxamines (5) I've tried are worthless. Apotex must have changed its composition of the drug ie. filling, binder ingrediants. Filed reports with FDA & Solvay (parent of Apotex) Solvay wrote back, "Nothing is wrong." Drug is totally ineffective on me now, as are all the other fluvoxomine generics I've tried. Only side effect was a bit of drowsiness. Have had to abandon taking this drug, and am in the midst of trying other drugs."

2ndchair (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's been about a month. And I really see a change. I use to be an emotional girl with obsessive thoughts that ran my mind all day long. Now.. I go to work, I work (usually would think about my worries at work while being stressed at work as it already is). I handle complex situations with more confidence and less anxiety. I'm on 100 mg, can't wait to try 150, think that will be perfect. No major side effects at all. Really believe this helps give me that push at living my life in the now and helps stop the ruminating. I've tried other stuff and nothing compares. With Luvox... I stress less, cry less, and focus more on what's important. Can't wait to continue and see more improvement ...."

AwdrEnuh (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Glucosamine has been very effective for me. Prior to taking it, I was extremely anxious and afraid of everything. Since starting over 2 years ago, I am now fully functioning and living a normal life. I am so appreciative of the benefits of fluvoxamine"

Anonymous December 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 300mg of Fluvoxamine for quite a few months now. It was really hard to initially start the medication and increase the dosing. But I stuck with it. After awhile, I noticed the drug "took the edge off" of my anxiety. I was getting less panic attacks and was able to starting doing things I was avoiding. My only issues with this drug are that 1) it's very sedating 2) I still have anxiety - some days are better than others but I'm looking for complete relief. I know it's possible because I've been on medication that did just that. Any suggestions? I take 150mg in morning and then again at night."

SarKC December 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "After being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (2012)I began experiencing anxiety and depression excepting this life change and handling the symptoms. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro 20mg/daily which helped with mild anxiety and over all day to day stress. However, I still experienced heavy anxiety while traveling & taking on new projects/assignments at work. I explained that I felt that the Lexapro was great but not working in all situations. My doctor then switched me to Luvox 200mg/daily. I've been taking Luvox for less than a week now and am already experiencing dry mouth, lack of motivation, diarrhea, nausea, light headedness/faint, and being more emotional and irritable. Obviously not for me. Life over all was better with Lexapro."

Michaeld9815 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I am on this again for the second time, my main issue is that I find it makes me tired all the time and it's hard to concentrate for university. I just want to sleep. My doctor did say he chooses the more sedative ones to start with because they usually have less adverse reactions. Other than being tired, it did reduce my depression and anxiety a fair bit, but most of all reduced my suicidal thoughts a great amount."

Carmacreator May 22, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "Starting taking Luvox after I told my doctor that Effexor which is very effective and a lifesaver for me was a bit of a libido killer. Said to try Luvox. I had a bad reaction even after tapering off Effexor properly. I had very bad headaches which codeine couldn't shift and diarrhea, also stomach cramps and bad nausea. Not for me obviously, so am starting back on the Effexor which keeps me sane."

whitepointer (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "I was prescribed Luvox for anxiety and panic attacks. Initially Luvox just made me tired. After about 2 weeks it started making me feel depressive. Continued taking it for about 2 months, the depressive symptoms only got worse. I had to discontinue medication because it caused depression for me. Did not help for anxiety or panic at all. When tapering off I suffered severe nausea and headaches. Didn't work and has bad side effects."

Lemon 14 March 30, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "Was prescribed for anxiety/obsessive thoughts. Couldn't make it to max therapeutic dose -- at 200mg the medication caused me to lose my voice for over 2 months. As soon as the medication was stopped, my voice came back."

slowdive86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Luvox (fluvoxamine): "My psychiatrist prescribed me Luvox 100mg that I've been on for close to 2 months to help me deal with symptoms of stress and social anxiety. I would say the medication works but the side effects aren't worth me continuing it so I'm going to see about something else that is proven to have less side effects. Some of the side effects I was experiencing were difficulty staying asleep and waking up with night sweats, dry mouth, and sore throat. I think Zoloft worked better for me."

jblt83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2013