User Reviews for Fluvoxamine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Fluvoxamine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety and Stress. 41% of those users who reviewed Fluvoxamine reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Fluvoxamine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Woofy06 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Been through a lot of meds and Luvox was the one that worked the best for social anxiety / GAD. (For me anyways). When it worked, it almost completely knocked out my anxiety. Hope to give it a re-try to see if it will work for me again.”

Anonymous November 17, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Luvox boosts your mood and so you feel less anxious.”

EA November 10, 2020

“Was put on a combination of luvox and Prozac because Prozac was keeping me up. Luvox made my anxiety worse than before any medication. I was extremely agitated and even the sound of a vacuum nearby would make me tear up because it just seemed too overwhelming and I needed every ounce of strength in me to not scream out my frustration. Didn't work for me at all but everyone is different.”

Raand · Taken for 10 years or more January 6, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Luvox has worked well for me. One issue is how it interacts with caffeine, it can be very unpleasant. I feel sped up and then hungover, sometimes for days. I don’t feel like this is mentioned enough when discussing this medicine, so I thought it was worth pointing out. As someone that loves coffee this has been very frustrating.”

Emily · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

“50mg fluvoxamine a day has led to me being without panic and obsessive thoughts for the first time in my life. I used to read these forums for hours and resist meds but I’m so glad I finally tried them. I feel relief.”

mickeycm August 26, 2013

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “A year ago I was prescribed Luvox in a psych ward where they took me off Prozac. I felt really okay! I had a follow up visit 2 weeks later with my psychiatrist of 30 years. He immediately took me off it saying in no way was Luvox right for me. He put me on Parnate. After one week I felt like I had been poisoned. He then told me to to go back to Prozac. Time for a new doctor, my new doctor put me back on Luvox. Now, at 4 months, I feel really well for the first time in many, many years. I rated this an 8 because 10 means perfection to me and there is no such thing as that with any medicine.”

Ausdude August 2, 2013

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “An excellent medicine for me for controlling thoughts and anxiety. I use 50mg at 8pm. I can't describe what a difference it has made to my life. I'm happy to take it for the rest of my life. I tried going without it for about a year because I was feeling good, but I will never do that again because of how horrible it was without it. When I've gone on Luvox, I feel the effect almost overnight. It is really important that you take it at the same time every day and that you follow a good sleeping schedule and not go to bed very late (i.e. after 11pm) for best results. There is only one downside for me and that is more difficult to reach orgasm and libido is reduced. If it was not for this I would give it a 10.”

Doggie01 · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “On this for Depression and anxiety, First couple of days on Luvox made me feel very flat, almost more depressed but without the crying. On the forth day it made me feel so physically sick. Diarrhoea, nausea, weak, shaky, laboured breathing, faint. I felt like I had been poisoned, stopped right away. After doing a bit of research it studies show it has a 40 percent chance of giving you gastrointestinal side effects. Very angry at the psychiatrist for prescribing me this after telling him my anxiety manifests in a tight shivering ball in my stomach. ”

lisa678 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2013

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I suffered from anxiety, excessive worrying and ruminating to the point where it was obsessive and led to a bad depression. I have been this way off and on ever since I can remember. I have been referred to as a worry wort and possibly obsessive compulsive. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro. Both helped with my depression symptoms however neither helped my anxiety at all and both killed my appetite and sex drive. I also tried Xanax occasionally and Buspar. However although these relieved my anxiety they made my depression worse. It was a catch 22. Finally doc put me on a low dose (25mg) of Luvox. What a relief! I have not noticed any side effects other than drowsiness at times. This medicine has worked well so far even in a low dose two months now.”

Dad April 15, 2020

Luvox CR (fluvoxamine): “Had a pretty positive experience on this med. Took about a month to really kick in, OCD intrusive thoughts lessened; while I continue to deal with anxiety, it’s been better overall on Luvox. Currently on 100mg.”

SVeeBee February 27, 2017

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I have been on Luvox for many years, it has normalized my emotions/anxiety levels. I have gone off it once or twice but depression & anxiety have once again flared to the unbearable. I sometimes feel tired but I also have fibromyalgia so that could be causing it. I often have a dry mouth & experience low libido but nothing as bad as the hopelessness I felt when not on it - Luvox has improved the quality of my life”

Cam December 11, 2019

“I started taking this about 7 weeks ago and it’s really really been helping me. I used to have to step on my shoes before putting them on, check everything a million times before closing at work, and feel anxious literally every time I left the house or did anything even mildly stressful. But now it’s like I can actually feel anxious without it overtaking my entire life. I still feel anxious but it’s something I can handle now, it’s no longer this overwhelming thing to be terrified of. The scary thoughts pop into my head and then they just go. I no longer obsess over distressing feelings, I’m able to let negative feelings come and go. I also haven’t experienced dissociation since I started taking this which is nice. The only downside is I’m really really tired. I can sleep for a long time and still feel exhausted. Living with manageable anxiety is worth it for me. But overall this medicine has really helped me and I’m so glad I started taking it.”

Mr. W June 13, 2013

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I started on 50mg daytime and 50mg at night. Had upset stomach with vomiting for a few days then that subsided. Eventually my dosage was increased to 100mg during the day and 100 mg at night. I had some life changing events occur and I was able to accept them and keep on track with life's daily trials and tribulations. It just helps keep your thoughts clear so that you can deal with life's challenges. The biggest side effect was that I wanted to sleep all the time. I decreased the dosage back down to 100 mg but I only take it once a day at 5:00pm. It wears off enough by 7:00am. Then I have motivation to do things throughout the day yet still remain somewhat calm and focused.”

Shellbean · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2019

“I woke up having a severe panic attack shortly after starting this drug. I thought this was odd, but figured it was just a fluke. A few weeks later I was given the extended release. First night in my system I woke up having the "mother of all panic attacks." It would not stop. I felt like death had its grip on me. I called 911. Long story short I took my clonazepam and was able to avoid having the ambulance come. The nice 911 operator talked to me for awhile which helped. My doctor said this was an atypical reaction, but I wanted to share my story in case anyone else experienced this. I would like to know why this happened to me.”

FSIBP · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 4, 2017

“Don't let the bad reviews fool you! I've tried about 10 different antidepressants. This one's the best. Yes there is no "perfect pill". But this one's close to it. I finally have had a break with my obsessive thoughts. I definitely feel less anxious and depressed. This is the only SSRI to not make me feel numb. And the only effective anti-depressant for me. It doesn't make me feel jittery either. When I first started this medication I had issues with drowsiness, insomnia and sexual side effects. But all of that went away in a months time. I really hope this medication doesn't disappear! It's quite literally a life saver. So thankful to whoever made this drug.”

Thea-B.D. January 23, 2017

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I've had a severe depression with anxiety. I must have tried countless products, one worse than the next. I've been on Cipralex for 15 years - but it stopped working. Latuda was terrible - why did they give it to me??... I can't even recall half the names. Finally, there's a perfect solution for me. It's so terrific I need to share it. I take Cymbalta (min. dose) in the morning (with my synthroid), and take Luvox (min. dose) at night, along with half a zoplicone (7.5 mg) for sleeping. I haven't felt this well since I can remember. The Cymbalta takes care of my fibromyalgia / headaches, and the Luvox has cleared away all the anxiety. It's a miracle. It's been a month now. I'm back to work and feeling well.”

AwdrEnuh · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2016

“It's been about a month. And I really see a change. I use to be an emotional girl with obsessive thoughts that ran my mind all day long. Now.. I go to work, I work (usually would think about my worries at work while being stressed at work as it already is). I handle complex situations with more confidence and less anxiety. I'm on 100 mg, can't wait to try 150, think that will be perfect. No major side effects at all. Really believe this helps give me that push at living my life in the now and helps stop the ruminating. I've tried other stuff and nothing compares. With Luvox... I stress less, cry less, and focus more on what's important. Can't wait to continue and see more improvement ....”

Lemon 14 March 30, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I was prescribed Luvox for anxiety and panic attacks. Initially Luvox just made me tired. After about 2 weeks it started making me feel depressive. Continued taking it for about 2 months, the depressive symptoms only got worse. I had to discontinue medication because it caused depression for me. Did not help for anxiety or panic at all. When tapering off I suffered severe nausea and headaches. Didn't work and has bad side effects.”

Jlrb55 · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Horrible experience! I switch from Paxil to Luvox and it was a terrible experience. I had a panic attack an hour after taking this medication. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and had tingling in my arms and legs. I called my doctor the next day and she switched me to Lexapro. I feel much better and have no side effects at all.”

Anonymous December 6, 2011

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Luvox did help with my depression and anxiety symptoms but it had an extreme sedative effect on me. Unfortunately my doctor did not realize my extreme fatigue was caused by this medicine and I spent money on sleep studies, blood tests and various medications trying to figure out why I was so tired. I could get through my work day but I would crash. I was sleeping 4 hours after work, getting up to make dinner and then returning to bed. I was so frustrated, feeling like I was missing out on life. I wasn't depressed because of chemical imbalance, but because I felt like I didn't have a life. I saw a different doctor and as soon as he took me off Luvox, my energy returned. Definitely not the right medicine for me.”

dingogirl · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2018

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “After many years of depression and anxiety, and many different meds, my psych. started me on Luvox. Right away I had trouble sleeping; I was awake by 2:30am and then restless rest of night. Still, I woke up full of energy & feeling good and was very productive. After a few days I noticed this energy turned to severe anxiety. I was also from the start feeling chilled, almost like I was getting sick. Body aches became more prevalent and feeling totally run down. The last 2 days chest pain on and off.... not sure if anxiety or something worse. It's sad, what started off as promising, soon turned to out to be another reject.”

0osweet · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 27, 2013

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I took it for over a year for depression and mood swings, but it didn't help me much. The mood swings were a little less, but I felt very empty and like a zombie. No happy feelings and I still felt depressed/empty. I felt much better when I stopped taking them. I did have withdrawal symptoms, I was extremely emotional the weeks after stopping. But after those I felt happier, less depressed.”

DPM123 January 20, 2017

“When I found out I had severe OCD and anxiety, I was prescribed this med. I was so scared to take it at first because literally I thought I would die. Then my anxiety got so bad that I eventually promised myself I would take it for 1 month, push through the side effects, and if I didn't feel better, I would quit. I've been taking it now for 8 months and I can honestly tell you this was the best decision of my life. I feel like a real person... thoughts come and then leave. I don't get caught up on them like I used to. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 and not a 10 is for side effects in the beginning. But, the negative responses I see from everyone else seems like choices that they chose. This isn't a fix your life pill, but it helps.”

Suewho April 15, 2012

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “I tend to go on and off it when I am well. I hate the sexual side effects but it works almost immediately for me. I get headaches and trouble sleeping but when it works I feel so normal it is priceless and worth the grief.”

slowdive86 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2014

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Was prescribed for anxiety/obsessive thoughts. Couldn't make it to max therapeutic dose -- at 200mg the medication caused me to lose my voice for over 2 months. As soon as the medication was stopped, my voice came back.”

alimills03 · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2018

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “Tried all the SSRIs before resorting to this drug for GAD and panic disorder. Made me severely depressed within hours of taking it. I even had an anxiety attack cuz. I had thoughts of suicide. Got so scared of my own thoughts that I checked into the ER for the first time. I told my doctors about having suicidal thoughts due to this drug. She didn't believe me. She said I was probably depressed due to anxiety. Oh yeah, this drug gave me shortness of breath which made my anxiety even worse. I don't recommend this drug to my friends or family.”

Jennifer · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2019

“Hi. I've been on Fluvoxamine for 1 week and so I didn't rate it yet because of that. I will say one thing is I have noticed my anxiety is a bit at bay but I also have health OCD. With a condition I am currently going through it hasn't exactly stopped the thoughts running through my head. I think and think that something terrible is going to happen to me. I am going to power through and see what this medication can do. I hope it works because I know I can't do this alone or even with a therapist and psychiatrist.”

Michaeld9815 · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2015

Luvox (fluvoxamine): “After being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (2012)I began experiencing anxiety and depression excepting this life change and handling the symptoms. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro 20mg/daily which helped with mild anxiety and over all day to day stress. However, I still experienced heavy anxiety while traveling & taking on new projects/assignments at work. I explained that I felt that the Lexapro was great but not working in all situations. My doctor then switched me to Luvox 200mg/daily. I've been taking Luvox for less than a week now and am already experiencing dry mouth, lack of motivation, diarrhea, nausea, light headedness/faint, and being more emotional and irritable. Obviously not for me. Life over all was better with Lexapro.”