User Reviews for Fluvoxamine to treat Depression

Fluvoxamine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluvoxamine

Cosi · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“I have been on 50 mg fluvoxamine for 8 weeks for depression and anxiety. Since taking it I want to be by myself and I have been getting more tired, and no energy to do anything. I avoid shopping. I used to walk most days before I started taking it but it is too much effort and I get breathless. The depression has not got any better. I sleep 4 hours at night but to be fair that has been my average even before I took the tablets. If I had to summerise the worst effect it would be tired all the time and I have become antisocial. The good effects slightly less anxious.”

wezztitys · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2020

“I got prescribed 15 or 20mg fluvoxamine when I was 12 or 13 for my depression which I got from being bullied everyday at school.This got increased to 50mg in the morning and 100 at night for a year and a half and took it for 4 years with no side effect that I can think of and now I'm off it cause I'm not depressed anymore :) yay”

Mu-nraito · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2019

“I have both anxiety and depression and maladaptive daydreaming which can sometimes induce the anxiety and depression. I work 2 jobs, so I really needed an SSRI. My body metabolizes this a lot better (I have fewer side effects, but it's also not as effective). It works BEAUTIFULLY on my anxiety, but not so much for depression. As for my depression, depending on the day, it'll go in waves, and most of the depression is at work. If I'm depressed enough, I will still maladaptive daydream. I would not suggest this med if you have 2 jobs or are a very busy person who can't get enough sleep due to schedule. If you have time to sleep longer, it should be more effective. Naps help me most of the time. Although, depending on your body it could make you more awake or very sleepy. With my body, it seems to make me more awake. I don't get the most restful sleep on this med, so if you have a lot of my symptoms I might not recommend it.”

Steve · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2019

“This medicine fluvoxamine has its pros and cons. I have spent 3 years on this medication. Started on 25mg and slowly increased to 200mg. I felt like I had lost all emotion on this dose. I couldn’t feel anything. I stood at my grandmothers funeral and didn’t even shed a single tear. I just couldn’t feel anything. I decreased my dose to 100mg and it has completely stopped all suicidal thoughts and anxiety and mostly all of my depression but I cannot do my job consistently due to feeling extremely tired, weak and lethargic. I cannot focus nor concentrate and I find it hard to stay consistent and interested in hobbies. I have an “I don’t care” attitude a lot of the time when it comes to my job especially and hobbies. I find it hard to function this way. I feel like I have trouble remembering anything and my brain is not working as well as it used to. I could sleep 23 hours a day. I feel unmotivated and disinterested in a lot of things. Neither situations are ideal”

Rhiannon June 13, 2019

“I started fluvoxamine after a 30 day hospital stay. They changed many of my meds. My mood stabilized with Rexulti, Viibryd & Seroquel, BUT the seroquel made me ravenous and I gained 15 lbs in one month. I’m already obese, high BP, high CHL and diabetic. When all was said and done, I went back to my psychiatric nurse practitioner and she modified my medications immediately. When I got out of the program, I was still feeling awful. I saw my NP & she is willing to try anything. She hates to see me suffer. She immediately took me off the 2 mood stabilizers, and hunger drastically decreased. She kept me on 40mg of Viibryd, 70 mg of Vyvanse, 100mg of lamotrigine (2x/day), 50mg of Topiramate. She then added Ambien for sleep along with the Luvox 100 mg and Xanax as needed. My primary physician got me on meds for my cholesterol, high BP, and high sugar. Since January my numbers have all shifted in the right direction and I feel human again!”

Juno · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2019

“I have been sufffering from major depressive disorder and other mental health problems for about 7 years. I was constantly self harming, getting admitted to mental health units, had to see a therapist twice a week. I have been through all other SSRI's, my doctor introduced fluvoxamine to me and said it was primarily used for OCD which I am not diagnosed but I do struggle with overwhelming intrusive thoughts. After being on it about a month I finally started feeling better, I was able to make it a full year without cutting myself, I attended classes full time after missing two years because of depression. This medication has put me in a space where therapy actually helps and I can listen to and practice what my team wants me to try. I haven’t been to the hospital in months and am looking forward to the future. Downside makes me extremely tired and makes me nauseous but it’s worth it.”

KLH December 13, 2018

“I had been taking Fluvoxamine 100mg since I was 8, I am now almost 26 years old. So 17 years. Diagnosed with ODC and depression at 8 years old. I was sexually abused which kicked everything into motion. Luvox really pulled me out of depression. I'm super grateful for it for all of these years. I haven't been on it for the past 3 months because it interacted with my Vyvanse in a very terrible way. My compulsive thoughts almost destroyed my marriage and I fell into the deepest depression I've ever been in. I took myself off luvox and everything is better than it was before! Cons of Fluvoxamine: emotionless, drowsiness, restless sleep, excessive yawning, dizziness and easy bruising. All of which went away when I stopped my Luvox 3 months ago. I didn't even realize some of these were side effects because I had been on it for. Pros: No depression”

Ayush145ch September 7, 2018

“This did not work . It also gave me side effects of acne and pimples over my face. I was on 50mg”

VlajosD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 19, 2018

“I am a 36 year old guy in decent enough physical health and I have been taking Fluvoxamine for 7 months. Important to mention that this has been along with seeing a therapist weekly. To get the negatives out first, the Fluvoxamine (Luvox) creates a yucky salty taste in my mouth, I get drunk quicker than usual when I drink (which, and I’m not proud of, I do often), and my sex drive is decreased though not evaporated. For the positives: before staring on Luvox I was having compulsive, looping, negative thoughts about myself, which in retrospect were dangerous. These went away almost immediately. I have had only one episode since. A sense of fear, both about specific and non-specific things, has gradually decreased as well. It has taken the full 7 months for this to happen. My days are now less hellish and often pleasant. Again — this has been a slow process.”

Jessie · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 22, 2018

“I have treatment resistant depression and over the years have been on a roller coaster of 14 different medications. When I was finally put on fluvoxamine after taking a metabolic gene test, it was the first medication that actually worked for me. When I say it “works”, I mean it keeps me stable enough mentally to hold a full-time job. I still struggle daily, but this medication has really levelled my mind and at least keeps me stable enough to function most days. This is a huge change from me not having a job and never leaving my bed. I’m not where I want to be mentally by any means, but this medication truly changed my life. I have been taking it for 2 1/2 years now at different doses, but am currently at 100mg/day. I will say that if stopped abruptly the withdrawal for me is TERRIBLE and starts happening within 48 hours of my last dose. Other than that, it’s been a miracle in helping me get back on my feet.”

SEB · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2018

“I was on an anti depressant and an anti psychotic for bipolar depression. I developed serotonin syndrome and tardive dyskinesia and sunk deeply into depression. I went back on a low, low dose of ability and luvox and within 3 days was feeling nearly myself again. After 4 days, I doubled the luvox, as I had read, and am doing very well. I do recommend it for internal suffering, which is the worst thing to go through. Good luck to you all.”

HeatherVS · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 24, 2018

“I have depression and anxiety (or at least feeling stressed and overwhelmed about nothing) and fluvoxamine does an amazing job at stabilizing my moods and helping me be happy and productive. Side effects: The only side effect I've had in normal use has been decreased sexual interest and pleasure, but I found an supplement containing maca and other herbal aphrodisiacs that effectively remedies the problem for me. Note: the reason I started fluvoxamine was for help in managing trichotillomania. Fluvoxamine actually didn't help with that for me, but I stuck with it because of the huge difference it made on my moods.”

frik March 3, 2018

“it's been week up until now since I'm on fluvoxamine (fevarin). I already have tried it twice a few years ago, but side effects was too overwhelming to continuing. I had flu- like symptoms. Lately I was extremely depressed and had recurrent, negative thoughts, including suicidal ideas. Some day I impulsively came up with idea to give the fevarin one more try. I stopped using drugs, along with cigarettes. My thoughts are harrassing me significantly less during the day and during the night when I wake up at 4 a.m (side effect) they are more friendly. Initially I felt a little weak but I feel that it's passing, and even makes me slightly agitated, so proportionally the depression decreasing. The nausea is also present, however to the extent that I can eat normally. Unlike others I noticed huge improvement in sex drive, but struggle with ejaculation. My anxiety also mildly declines.”

moadej · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 7, 2018

“No side effects and worked really well for 2 years at 200mg, before I had another episode which ended me up having my first psychiatric hospitalisation. The ward doctors took me off it in 3 weeks and I experienced the worst sickness I've ever had in my life, constantly sick and 'brain zaps' were irritating.”

Ed K · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2017

“I stated on Fluvoxamine 5 years ago. Then when fluvoxamine 100 mg extended release came out I switched to it. I've been experiencing sporadic low grade fevers, intestinal cramping, diarrhea and red eyes. I've been through years of testing and finally came up with an answer Fluvoxamine. This medication interacts with many other medications and can cause serious and fatal side effects. This medication is extremely hard to wean off of. It helped my depression initially but now has caused me more depression.”

crazyshortass · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2016

“Do not take if you are on Methotrexate and leflunomide for rheumatoid arthritis. It over rides the arthritis medication and makes you become inflamed again and you will have to go back on steroids. I only took this medication for three days and it made me sleep for 15 hours on the first night, the second night it over rode my arthritis medication and made my arthritis flare up and I couldn't sleep and the third night I didn't sleep and had a major migraine.”

Xelleld · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2016

“Used to be somewhat effective (hence it even getting a 3) but now is about as effective as placebo at best. The only things keeping me stable right now are Seroquel XR, Wellbutrin XL, and a lot of caffeine. I'm still trying to even get an appointment scheduled with my psychiatrist so I can get off of this useless drug and on to something that might actually work, and it's probably not going to be an SSRI, since I've taken several of them before and none of them have worked except Paxil, but that gave me too many side effects.”

NDT1973 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2016

“Sleepy but helpful”

Athenaos February 20, 2016

“This medicine helped somewhat, however, the side effects have become intolerable. I'm itching my head, ears and neck constantly from an itch that never stops, I'm agitated and anxious and have weird tingling, prickly sensations. Think I'll go back on Prozac though Prozac left me confused and disoriented. Have been through the slew of SSRIs and wish scientists would come up with another category of drugs soon.”

Jayjayjetplane · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 22, 2015

“No terrible side effects other than extremely reduced libido and some nausea/weakness.”

Lainyluu · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2015

“I have been taking 100mg of this medicine nightly before bed for nearly a year now. I had an awful case of anxiety based depression that ruined me my senior year of high school and left me in the throes of a personal break down. I went to my doctor and she submitted me to this experimental medicine screen after a previous attempt of cymbalta left me no where. When I started taking these pills, it was like a miracle had happened to me. My anxiety virtually disappeared. It was the biggest relief I had experienced in my life. I no longer had issues talking to people and I began to excel in my work once again. Only complaints are extreme withdrawal symptoms and it is much less effective for me while I am on my period.”

CHIWAWA · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2015

“Very good”

SuperToaster1001 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2014

“I think Luvox is a good medicine. I also take Abilify. Luvox took a long time to work. My two cents are to keep yourself busy and active, because no medication will treat everything. I am only giving this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it makes me kind of tired. The reason why I take Abilify too is because I have irritability associated with depression.”

t joe April 5, 2013

“I have been taking fluvoxamine since 1995. For me it is a miracle. I had two major bouts of depression 12 years apart, took every medicine my doctor could find. This medicine was the only one to help me be fine every since.”

Parker Mills September 19, 2011

“I lost all negative thoughts. Sleep very well (prior to medicine, sleeping all night was a problem). I now find humor in everything. Things look better. Enjoy music and TV so much more. This change for the better, occurred within one or two days of taking this medicine. ”