User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"Citalopram works great for me. I've been on and off of it for about 5 years. When I was on it several years ago it was like night and day. I have major depression and general anxiety. When going back on it most recently (4 months ago), I started at 20mg for the first month. The first dose helped my anxiety immensely. Within a few weeks my depression lifted some. I'm now on 40mg again and it is definitely helping, but I feel like in the past it worked better for the depression. So Today I've started 5mg Abilify in addition; hoping it will help some more."

Cariabcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got this as a prescription from my doctor, after spending endless hour doing research on this medication I decided to give it a try. I was on celexa for almost 5 months. During this time I felt like a cloud has over my head the whole time, my brain did not function and I felt like life was absolutely unbearable. Might work for some people but It did more harm than good while I was on it. Had to stop. I've found that what got me my life back was an alternate method that came as a lifesaver for me that didn't involve medication. It involves steps to being more motivated and accomplishing things daily. http://happylifeengine.com/archives/30 I am back to being me and I feel hopeful about the future. I just needed ti be shown how to get my life back on track. Hope you all get your life back as I did . "

Not a good experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got prescribed this medication for mild anxiety & minor depression. I usually get overwhelmed by things that should feel not so worrisome, & replay things that irritate or upset me over & over in my head. I've been on a light dose of Celexa for about a week now. I take it at night & don't have trouble sleeping. I will say right when it hits 645 - 7am I wake up & am immediately wide awake though. I have definitely noticed a positive change. Not a huge one, but just enough to make me feel more "normal". I can be a bit of a drag sometimes, & just not my peppy self that I know is hiding in me. This has made me feel much more of a positive peppy "good parts of myself" come out more & I can manage my stress better & lighter than I was before."

AEsp February 17, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on the generic version Citolopram. First 10mg for 7 days then up'd to 20mg. Now on that for little over 4 weeks. Still feel blah. I've been switching when I take it to see if it helps sleep. Well apparently you need to take at night! It's cousin to lexapro. I just took my 20mg at 9a.m.(to see) an its 2 hrs later an I'm very sleepy. I'm giving it 6 wks . I'm on med #7. I hope this works. Not many left for me to try. Not much side effects with Celexa. Occasional anxiety but I also have Klonapine when needed. So going back to take at night. I am having night sweats occasionally also but lethargy during day."

Zio10 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For the last 15 years I've changed I didn't know what was wrong never wanting to leave my tiny little bedroom not caring what was going on anywhere making excuses not to leave my little comfort zone the funny thing is that I was always an outside person hated being inside now I don't care if I live or die I think it would be better if I would die I think about the unthinkable all of the time I need serious help but don't want to go to a doctor don't like going out does anyone have any suggestions?? I was given this medicine by a doctor about 6 months ago does anyone think it will help I'm on my last hope!!"

Kayfant February 1, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on celexa for a bit over a year to treat my clinical depression which I had for 5 years and general anxiety which I had for 3, and it has literally saved my life. I started with 5mg and worked up to 40mg, and I've never felt better than I do after being on celexa. It's helped me so much, I can finally live and enjoy my life again"

Jess_18 December 7, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been on Wellbutrin, which worked great for me but my insurance would not cover the cost and my insurance does cover Celexa so my Dr. switched me to Celexa to see if it would work for me. The first 2 weeks I felt great! I had tons of energy and just felt really good. I did have some mild nausea but not something that I couldn't handle. After 2 weeks I started feeling extremly tired and went from sleeping 6-7 hours per night (the most I have ever slept at night) to sleeping 10 hours a night. I also feel really tired and just blah all day. I got to the point that I just feel numb and stopped caring about anything. Dishes and laundry piled up, don't care. Family needs dinner, don't care. Needless to say I will be switching meds!"

DanniLeigh November 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Celexa for 2 months for depression, starting at 10 mg, then 20 mg, and now at 30 mg, which is a good dosage for my symptoms. In 2015 I spiraled into a dark depression which I never experienced before. It was a very lonely, empty hopeless feeling. I lost interest in everything I had previously enjoyed, and dreaded waking up in the morning. It went on for a year before I decided to try medication. For the first 2 weeks on Celexa, there was no change. Then, the 3rd week I was able to cope with negative things so much better. By the 4th week, I slowly began to do things again. I am now back to my old self again, which is a great feeling! The only side effects are groggy mornings accompanied with intense yawning."

Renee L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was placed on Celexa in 2008 and have been on it ever sense. Although at one point in 2011 I thought I could stop taking it and took myself off for about 3 months and felt the difference. It has truly given me back my peace and happiness!!!"

LDeeHappyLaddii November 10, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did nothing to help my depression. Made me feel suicidal and zombie like"

Quiggle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this medicine for 3 months now, I am on 20mg per day. The first tablet I took was a complete trip, then with the other tablets I did not have any weird feelings as if I was high. I had some side effects such as light tremors in my hands and thirst. I did not drink any alcohol for 1.5 months, I discovered wine brings up my depression so I do not drink wine any more. Just a glass of whisky every now and then. The first three weeks were a bit rough but things started to move forwards in a very pleasent way, family and friends noticed I smile all the time and yes I deffo feel happier. Anxiety levels have come down, although I do have probably a panic attack a month. This medicine has been a life saver for me, I have no emotions"

Keiks October 21, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Celexa for almost 3 years now and I'm very happy with the results in regards to my depression. Most of the sideffects went away after the first year but it has definitely altered my sleep and I have absolutely no sex drive. I would highly recommend it for effectiveness but if you're not okay with living with some side effects it may not be for you."

Shmazool October 7, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 33 years old and have been depressed for as long as I can remember. This year I took the leap and accepted the fact that I need medications to continue living a functional life. I was prescribed 20mg Celexa once a day. For the first two months things were getting better I did experience some insomnia but that subsided after two weeks. I eventually plateaued and was given a new dose of 40mg. Not sure how much it has helped, I constantly feel tired and lack motivation. I will looking at other meds when I see my doc next."

Kyle6440 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 18 and on my third day of celexa, I've had depression 3+ years now and have gone unmedicated. I finally agreed to try celexa 30MG and .25MG of xanax. Changing my life and cannot wait for even more improvement. Only issues so far is some insomnia and CONSTANT yawning but it's a small price to pay!"

Em98 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I felt like a zombie on this medication, gained weight, had no sex drive, and basically walked around not knowing what was going on. Definitely wouldn't recommend based on my own experience."

Ang.S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I never write reviews but have read a thousand reviews about anxiety and depression. This drug Celexa saved me changed my life and I have been on everything under the sun this has been the only thing to stop my racing thoughts my anxiety and depression. Try this! My only issues is difficult reaching orgasm I fan just difficult but I can deal with that! I take 30mg a day."

EricB73 September 5, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello everyone, I've been on Celexa for almost 5 months now. On my 5th month, my doc bumped me up to 60mg. I initially started taking Celexa for depression. At first it seemed like I had a ton of energy, and I felt better than ever. After the first month, I was not feeling better anymore. Although my dosage has increased, I still don't feel a sense of relief. I do however have no anxiety. I don't dwell on mistakes I make like I used to. I actually feel very relaxed. So relaxed to where, I'm very lazy. I think I've gained at least 7 lbs on Celexa, probably mainly due to my sedentary lifestyle. I really don't have much energy to do anything. I can function and go to work and all, I just feel blah."

vagabond16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"25 yr old, female. I've been taking 20 mg for 2 weeks now. Only side effect was insomnia so I started taking it in the morning. Maybe a loss in sex drive? No other side effects though. It hasn't kicked in yet."

Lexington40 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just got prescribed 10 milligrams, Thank God I decided to cut it in half just to see how I reacted to it, took it at night. Felt the effects in about a half hour, didn't sleep to well, felt wierd. Got in the morning to let the dog out and almost hit the floor, very dizzy. I do feel more relaxed today, and somewhat better. I was told most people don't even know they are taking it , starts to work in about 4 weeks. Not me must be very sensative to it. I think I will try 5 milligrams again tonight and see how it goes. I will keep you all informed."

Con 22250 August 6, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on celexa (40mg) for several months. I'm a 55 year old female; post menopausal. I'm finding that although my sexual desire seems to have returned, actual enjoyment or ability to experience an orgasm is impossible What can I do to counter-act this response?"

Angelsbyme (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Best medication ever I'm on 20 mg .its very important to take the medication for 6 weeks before you give up.most side effects go away after 6 weeks"

Jackie girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on celexa for almost a month and I feel much better then before. I haven't noticed any side effects other then not sleeping more then four hours but that was me before I started celexa 20mg. I explained to my doctor about my sleep patterns and she wants to up my dose to 40mg and I'm really not sure about that because I don't want the side effects of a higher dose. I still have little anxiety and mild depression but it's only been 3 weeks I think a little more time on 20mg I'll be back to me. I'm also afraid if I go up in dose to 40mg will I lose my sex drive? I'd rather not I'm ok where I am. She said for me not to be afraid of it, example it's like a blood pressure medication you have to adjust that works for you."

Barbie197937 July 20, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Celexa has changed my life. The first couple days I was yawning uncontrollably which is a rare side effect. After that I started to feel like a robot almost. I just did things, I didn't think too much about anything. I guess maybe that's why it helps with depression. But not only does it suppress the bad thoughts. It also suppresses the positive and creative thoughts."

JordanStaub (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a long time sufferer from depression and anxiety and adhd and ptsd....well you name it I have been diagnosed it. I recently...like right now tried to get off celexa....head hurts so bad i cannot stand up. Been awful. Its been 3 days and i am throwing in the towel and going to go pick it up at pharmacy. Yes it works on depression and a tad for anger but I still do have episodes of anger and depression which at times I wonder are worse than before. The thing is i guess you never do know unless someone monitors you before and after. Honestly i think excercise and healthy eating would have worked just as well. I can definitley say it makes you more tired. I can say this..DONT TAKE THIS MEDICATION UNLESS YOUR SERIOUSLY IN NEED."

JessieJ35 July 8, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have only been on Celexa for 4 days. I take 10mg. I sleep very little, sweating, naseau and have become very anxious about everything. I do drink a lot of water. I just want to feel like myself again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016