User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"I have been on celexa for a bit over a year to treat my clinical depression which I had for 5 years and general anxiety which I had for 3, and it has literally saved my life. I started with 5mg and worked up to 40mg, and I've never felt better than I do after being on celexa. It's helped me so much, I can finally live and enjoy my life again"

Jess_18 December 7, 2016

"I had been on Wellbutrin, which worked great for me but my insurance would not cover the cost and my insurance does cover Celexa so my Dr. switched me to Celexa to see if it would work for me. The first 2 weeks I felt great! I had tons of energy and just felt really good. I did have some mild nausea but not something that I couldn't handle. After 2 weeks I started feeling extremly tired and went from sleeping 6-7 hours per night (the most I have ever slept at night) to sleeping 10 hours a night. I also feel really tired and just blah all day. I got to the point that I just feel numb and stopped caring about anything. Dishes and laundry piled up, don't care. Family needs dinner, don't care. Needless to say I will be switching meds!"

DanniLeigh November 25, 2016

"I have been on Celexa for 2 months for depression, starting at 10 mg, then 20 mg, and now at 30 mg, which is a good dosage for my symptoms. In 2015 I spiraled into a dark depression which I never experienced before. It was a very lonely, empty hopeless feeling. I lost interest in everything I had previously enjoyed, and dreaded waking up in the morning. It went on for a year before I decided to try medication. For the first 2 weeks on Celexa, there was no change. Then, the 3rd week I was able to cope with negative things so much better. By the 4th week, I slowly began to do things again. I am now back to my old self again, which is a great feeling! The only side effects are groggy mornings accompanied with intense yawning."

Renee L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

"I was placed on Celexa in 2008 and have been on it ever sense. Although at one point in 2011 I thought I could stop taking it and took myself off for about 3 months and felt the difference. It has truly given me back my peace and happiness!!!"

LDeeHappyLaddii November 10, 2016

"Did nothing to help my depression. Made me feel suicidal and zombie like"

Quiggle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2016

"I have been on this medicine for 3 months now, I am on 20mg per day. The first tablet I took was a complete trip, then with the other tablets I did not have any weird feelings as if I was high. I had some side effects such as light tremors in my hands and thirst. I did not drink any alcohol for 1.5 months, I discovered wine brings up my depression so I do not drink wine any more. Just a glass of whisky every now and then. The first three weeks were a bit rough but things started to move forwards in a very pleasent way, family and friends noticed I smile all the time and yes I deffo feel happier. Anxiety levels have come down, although I do have probably a panic attack a month. This medicine has been a life saver for me, I have no emotions"

Keiks October 21, 2016

"I've been on Celexa for almost 3 years now and I'm very happy with the results in regards to my depression. Most of the sideffects went away after the first year but it has definitely altered my sleep and I have absolutely no sex drive. I would highly recommend it for effectiveness but if you're not okay with living with some side effects it may not be for you."

Shmazool October 7, 2016

"I am 33 years old and have been depressed for as long as I can remember. This year I took the leap and accepted the fact that I need medications to continue living a functional life. I was prescribed 20mg Celexa once a day. For the first two months things were getting better I did experience some insomnia but that subsided after two weeks. I eventually plateaued and was given a new dose of 40mg. Not sure how much it has helped, I constantly feel tired and lack motivation. I will looking at other meds when I see my doc next."

Kyle6440 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

"I'm 18 and on my third day of celexa, I've had depression 3+ years now and have gone unmedicated. I finally agreed to try celexa 30MG and .25MG of xanax. Changing my life and cannot wait for even more improvement. Only issues so far is some insomnia and CONSTANT yawning but it's a small price to pay!"

Em98 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

"I felt like a zombie on this medication, gained weight, had no sex drive, and basically walked around not knowing what was going on. Definitely wouldn't recommend based on my own experience."

Ang.S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

"I never write reviews but have read a thousand reviews about anxiety and depression. This drug Celexa saved me changed my life and I have been on everything under the sun this has been the only thing to stop my racing thoughts my anxiety and depression. Try this! My only issues is difficult reaching orgasm I fan just difficult but I can deal with that! I take 30mg a day."

EricB73 September 5, 2016

"Hello everyone, I've been on Celexa for almost 5 months now. On my 5th month, my doc bumped me up to 60mg. I initially started taking Celexa for depression. At first it seemed like I had a ton of energy, and I felt better than ever. After the first month, I was not feeling better anymore. Although my dosage has increased, I still don't feel a sense of relief. I do however have no anxiety. I don't dwell on mistakes I make like I used to. I actually feel very relaxed. So relaxed to where, I'm very lazy. I think I've gained at least 7 lbs on Celexa, probably mainly due to my sedentary lifestyle. I really don't have much energy to do anything. I can function and go to work and all, I just feel blah."

vagabond16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

"25 yr old, female. I've been taking 20 mg for 2 weeks now. Only side effect was insomnia so I started taking it in the morning. Maybe a loss in sex drive? No other side effects though. It hasn't kicked in yet."

Lexington40 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"Just got prescribed 10 milligrams, Thank God I decided to cut it in half just to see how I reacted to it, took it at night. Felt the effects in about a half hour, didn't sleep to well, felt wierd. Got in the morning to let the dog out and almost hit the floor, very dizzy. I do feel more relaxed today, and somewhat better. I was told most people don't even know they are taking it , starts to work in about 4 weeks. Not me must be very sensative to it. I think I will try 5 milligrams again tonight and see how it goes. I will keep you all informed."

Con 22250 August 6, 2016

"I've been on celexa (40mg) for several months. I'm a 55 year old female; post menopausal. I'm finding that although my sexual desire seems to have returned, actual enjoyment or ability to experience an orgasm is impossible What can I do to counter-act this response?"

Angelsbyme (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"Best medication ever I'm on 20 mg .its very important to take the medication for 6 weeks before you give up.most side effects go away after 6 weeks"

Jackie girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2016

"I've been on celexa for almost a month and I feel much better then before. I haven't noticed any side effects other then not sleeping more then four hours but that was me before I started celexa 20mg. I explained to my doctor about my sleep patterns and she wants to up my dose to 40mg and I'm really not sure about that because I don't want the side effects of a higher dose. I still have little anxiety and mild depression but it's only been 3 weeks I think a little more time on 20mg I'll be back to me. I'm also afraid if I go up in dose to 40mg will I lose my sex drive? I'd rather not I'm ok where I am. She said for me not to be afraid of it, example it's like a blood pressure medication you have to adjust that works for you."

Barbie197937 July 20, 2016

"Celexa has changed my life. The first couple days I was yawning uncontrollably which is a rare side effect. After that I started to feel like a robot almost. I just did things, I didn't think too much about anything. I guess maybe that's why it helps with depression. But not only does it suppress the bad thoughts. It also suppresses the positive and creative thoughts."

JordanStaub (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

"I am a long time sufferer from depression and anxiety and adhd and ptsd....well you name it I have been diagnosed it. I recently...like right now tried to get off celexa....head hurts so bad i cannot stand up. Been awful. Its been 3 days and i am throwing in the towel and going to go pick it up at pharmacy. Yes it works on depression and a tad for anger but I still do have episodes of anger and depression which at times I wonder are worse than before. The thing is i guess you never do know unless someone monitors you before and after. Honestly i think excercise and healthy eating would have worked just as well. I can definitley say it makes you more tired. I can say this..DONT TAKE THIS MEDICATION UNLESS YOUR SERIOUSLY IN NEED."

JessieJ35 July 8, 2016

"I have only been on Celexa for 4 days. I take 10mg. I sleep very little, sweating, naseau and have become very anxious about everything. I do drink a lot of water. I just want to feel like myself again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"I have been on this awhile I take it at night so I don't feel tired durning the day"

Anonymous June 15, 2016

"I have been on celexa for about a week and a half, ever since I had noticed a loss of appetite, and zombie like. But, as how I used to feel without the medication at first, I feel more calm and less anxious. As for the constant panic attacks that I was having, celexa helped ease it a lot. Yes, I feel tired all the time and unable to sleep well. Luckily I am taking Ristoril along with it. I am able to sleep my good eight hours, before waking up to go to college every morning. I am considering to talk with my doctor, to see if he can at least lower the dosis a bit to 10mg. I am currently taking 20mg. That way, the side effects won't take it's toll on me."

Jan87 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

"i have tried almost all SSRI that are commonly used and celexa works just like all the rest of them. It makes me feel out of it like I'm not really here and makes me extremely tired I sleep about 4 hours a day. It does help with some of my anxiety not all of it and it does help with anger"

Cmcm May 24, 2016

"I take 20 mg of Celexa and 300 of Welbutrin. When I don't take them, I'm much more irritable. I can still feel sadness and happiness, I just feel level somehow. If you stop cold turkey, it causes nausea, for me anyways, and i can tell I feel different off them. Still have some obsessive tendencies but overall, I wouldn't want to not take them."

Melmoe May 7, 2016

"I was on celexa for about 3 months, started with 10 mg. and raised up to 20 when I felt no changes. After going up to 20, i felt constantly tired, drowsy and like a walking zombie. My anxiety and depression only got worse, it caused me to have thoughts of suicide and self harm and I just felt worse overall. My experience on celexa was terrible and I would not recomend this drug at all."

Joycee222 May 6, 2016