User Reviews for Celexa

Celexa Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"I have never left a review of a medication, and as a clinical provider, I am arguably THE WORST patient EVER! After a major MVA, I suffered several injuries, and was in constant pain for almost two years. The pain and inability to move due to a spinal injury caused me to fall into a deep depression. I'd suffered with anxiety most of my life, but found alternative methods of coping. I typically make 15k or better steps a night during my ER shifts, so to suddenly be unable to move, I was floored! My neurologist recommended I try an SSRI (Celexa) temporarily to help with my being depressed, and I reluctantly agreed. I was adamant about not taking SSRI's as I don't like anything fooling around in my brain. But it worked. I had minimal side effects, and even they eventually subsided within the first month of use. Thankfully, I no longer require the use of any SSRI, as I am two years post the accident, but I am grateful that it was available to me when I needed it."

DocMed May 16, 2018

"I am taking Citalopram at 2.5 mg. Very low dose as high doses can send me to a psychiatric ward. I have a very sensitive system. It has worked very well for me at that dose. This medication has helped me continue to work and live life. Side effects: spacey, slow thoughts, feeling of “high”, sweaty palms, equilibrium off a bit due to feeling “high”. Someone here said that healthy eating and exercise will solve all depression and anxiety problems. That is not true. I practice healthy eating, go to therapy and exercise daily yet it has not solved depression issues. Some here have experienced terrible issues with this medication. 10mg to start off with is not for everyone. I am disappointed that the medication doesn’t offer 1mg for us who are highly sensitive. The overdosing that happens more often than not, is an issue. Listen to your body it will tell you how it’s reacting to the dosage. Thank you for reading."

Tulip May 6, 2018

"This medication was extremely dangerous for me. When I began taking it I started to sweat profusely, I had a terrible headache, I was nauseous and shaking uncontrollably. Luckily, I was at an impatient facility. The psychiatrist immediately stoped the medication and told me I was suffering from Seretonin overdose AKA Seretonin syndrome which can be deadly. I was so pale I started to turn grey. Once the medication was out of my system it took about a week to feel better. "

Bipolar18 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"This med work pretty good for depression and anxiety. However I gained over 25 pounds in 4 months and stopped taking it due to massive weight gain."

Mickey (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

"Just another Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. At least they don't make me sick. 40 mg at bed time. I have tried all the other ones, and have had some bad side effects. I don't think it does anything ,but my doc thinks for sure if I stop taking it I would feel worse. If he would get my records from mental health from about 25 years ago he would see I was taking 60mg for about six months, with no effect. I feel I am just another payday every 3 months to him."

Jim Beam works,Bad side effect February 3, 2018

"I was recently diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder, instead of being Major Depressive which is what my psychiatrist originally diagnosed me with. My psychiatrist said that Celexa works well for people like me, who have Bipolar Disorder - it helps prevent the extreme depressive episodes. Let me just say, that Celexa has changed my changed my life for the better. I feel more optimistic, and I can smile again. Celexa works for me, and I mentally feel better"

NightRaven92 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

"I began taking Celexa fifteen years ago to help with depression associated with chronic pain and side effects of a morphine pump implant. I had tried several other medications but they 'messed up my head' and I couldn't think straight! Celexa along with my pump to treat the chronic pain, significantly added to my quality of life. I notice few side effects, and it isn't clear if they are from the morphine and hydromorphone breakthrough pain meds, or the depression. Overall, life is good! Praise God for doctors and proper meds!"

Pastor's Hubby (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

"After the side effects wore off (2-4 weeks of occasional insomnia heightened anxiety bathroom issues and no energy) my overall outlook on life was much more positive. I was laughing, taking on more work, taking care of myself and feeling good. I didn’t notice much weight gain but working in construction between a slowed metabolism and the hard work my weight remained within 2 pounds up or down. Unfortunately I had a rare side effect creep up after 3 months of use, it induced TMJ in me to the point I couldn’t eat. I switched to escitalopram and the TMJ subsided but found that escitalopram did not work for me and I actually gained weight very quickly. Mind you I’ve been on Wellbutrin in conjunction with these medications without issue with W."

Radia75 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"I take 20 mg and I have done so for the last year for depression. I tried to take it before I was going on a drive, actually a four hour drive and it really distorted the whole trip. I felt like I wasn't apart of the traveling experience...it was a really weird I will never take it again before long drive. I had to change my time of when I took it to later in the evening before I went to bed. As it got dark on the drive I noticed how blurry everything had become, I struggled so hard to read the road signs that I normally could more clearly. For me there is no way I could take it at the beginning of the day."

Sharon VA December 1, 2017

"This is the only antidepressant I have ever taken (and I've tried a lot of them) that has not given me anxiety and jitters. It is too bad the doses don't go up very high and it could work a little better with anxiety than it does but for an antidepressant it is the only one I can tolerate for extended periods of time. So thankful for it. Because I am an addict I can't take benzos and this keeps anxiety under control with a PRN hydroxyzine when it happens anyway."

noreshii October 10, 2017

"I am on my second round of celexa. I took it many years ago for a few years, only 10mg a day. It definitely worked but after a few years I decided to get off it. You need to ween yourself off it very slowly if you’ve taken it for a long time. I experienced voices and hallucinations the first couple days going off it completely after I thought I had weened myself enough so I had to ween myself for another month. I had never had symptoms like that in my life. However, I got off of it. Now my depression and anxiety came back for quite a bit so I went back on celexa 20 mg and it is definitely helping. My recommendation is to avoid a lot of caffeine while on this drug or you will notice anxiety increases more so than when you’re not on celexa."

BBCC October 8, 2017

"I was prescribed this a few week's ago but had to stop taking it. I currently take Seroquel (Quetiapine) 100 mg, and was not sure why the Psychiatrist would prescribe the Celexa (Citalopram) as I had been informed by a pharmacist that combining Seroquel and Celexa is dangerous and could possibly cause heart problems. There is a MAJOR drug interaction between those two meds, as that would explain why my chest was hurting and my depression actually got way worse, I also didn't have an appetite at ALL while on the Celexa so I had to just stop taking it. Horrible drug."

Jennifer0121 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

"Living with a depressed husband and my parents passing within 16 months of each other threw me into two years of depression. When I finally sought help, my doctor put me on generic Celexa. Within a month, I felt a lot better; however, I was nauseous and woke up at 3am for the first 3 months. I'm glad I stuck it out because after that, I was fine for about 2 years when it stopped working. Over the past 3 years I have tried 3 other anti depressants but nothing has worked or they increased my blood pressure so my doctor suggested trying Celexa again. I'm hoping I won't have the side effects this time but feel they are worth it for two years of normal living."

Lee In Pinetop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2017

"I took celexa many years ago and when I stopped taking it I developed brain zaps a common side effect of withdrawal. After one month of quitting celexa I started hearing voices telling me to harm others. It got so bad that I started attacking people with a knife. I was arrested by the police. During trial I was found not criminally responsible (NCR). I was suffering from psychosis. I was sent to a secure hospital. I spent a year in there I saw the review board and they said I was a significant threat to the safety of the public because I told my doctor I felt like killing more people. "

Matthew GGG August 29, 2017

"Made me feel like a zombie, sexual side effects, no interest in doing anything. I would never take this drug again."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

"Experienced depressive symptoms lightly for years. Then over the past year when exposed to many life stressors because signficant in impairing my quality of life. Celexa has greatly improved my quality of life and most days I feel little to no depressive thoughts. I have been taking Celexa for 6 weeks. It also got rid of my anxiety (70-80% of it) and has improved my OCD symptoms a great deal. I started on 5 mg upping to 10mg"

MxMxM July 6, 2017

"I remember a half a year ago reading these reviews and I was very eager to not feeling worthless anymore. The first month was bleh. Had bad diarrhea but slept great for once. But over time feelings of worthlessness and being overly fearful faded away. I started to slowly be able to get out of bed in the night (third shift) and be excited to go to work and engage people. Sadly, over time the anxiety seemed to have gotten worse. My sleeping also went back to its normal habits. They upped it to 40mg to no avail. Now I'm off cold turkey and the depression is hitting harder than it has ever. Wish I could get back on it. It was a literal life saver."

Great for depression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2017

"not sure if it did anything"

katzy June 30, 2017

"I started out on 10mg of Celexa, nothing happened. When I got to 20mg, I started feeling sick (I felt like I was going to vomit all the time) and irritated. Once I got to 40mg, I began to feel impulsive and wired. I could barely sleep and I was doing risky things; even my friends said I wasn't myself! I got put on Neurontin after this, I'm glad I switched."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

"Saved my life."

msmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

"I love Celexa. I was getting depressed after long hours of med school and studying and feeling like I had no time enjoyment. Celexa took about 3 weeks to work, but it worked and continues to work. I no longer feel depressed every day. Sometimes I sink into depression, but I am able to snap out of it much quicker. I feel less moody, and my boyfriend has noticed an improvement in my mood. The only side effect I experience is decreased sex drive/harder time climaxing, but I would prefer that over going off the deep end. I will continue to take this and consider weening myself from it once life is less stressful. Great medicine that can save your life."

I love Celexa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

"When I was on Celexa years ago it worked wonderfully for me, night and day. I came off and tried natural treatments for a year and a half with no success so I went back on Celexa (again at 40 mg a day as I was on before.) It definitely helps me a lot but it isn't as helpful as before when I took it. I've added abilify 2 months ago (5mg) but it still isn't quite enough. I feel like my functionality is at about 60-70% now (compared to ~10% without Celexa) --My GP has referred me to a psychiatrist and I hope I can find something or a combo of things to help me get to 100% again soon. I don't have any bad side effects from Celexa and it helps me with anxiety within 24 hours and depression within 2 weeks of starting."

Cari73762518276 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

"This drug used to do wonders. I went on it because one antidepressant wasn't enough to get me out of bed and moving. It lifted me up and gave me the motivation to be able to take care of my daily living needs and hold a stable job. The side effect that causes them to take me off of it was because it was making me manic (as I am bipolar) and it caused me to make quick, risky, and ill-advised life decisions. Taking me off the drug has effectively stopped the quick life decision side effect, and after getting off of it, I've been able to think more clearly, be more mindful of my movement and thought-processes, and gave me a general feeling of wellness. The negative of getting off of it, however, is that I lost my ability to sleep well."

Non-Professional Patient (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2017

"Citalopram works great for me. I've been on and off of it for about 5 years. When I was on it several years ago it was like night and day. I have major depression and general anxiety. When going back on it most recently (4 months ago), I started at 20mg for the first month. The first dose helped my anxiety immensely. Within a few weeks my depression lifted some. I'm now on 40mg again and it is definitely helping, but I feel like in the past it worked better for the depression. So Today I've started 5mg Abilify in addition; hoping it will help some more."

Cariabcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

"Got this as a prescription from my doctor, after spending endless hour doing research on this medication I decided to give it a try. I was on celexa for almost 5 months. During this time I felt like a cloud has over my head the whole time, my brain did not function and I felt like life was absolutely unbearable. Might work for some people but It did more harm than good while I was on it. Had to stop. I've found that what got me my life back was an alternate method that came as a lifesaver for me that didn't involve medication. It involves steps to being more motivated and accomplishing things daily. http://happylifeengine.com/archives/30 I am back to being me and I feel hopeful about the future. I just needed ti be shown how to get my life back on track. Hope you all get your life back as I did . "

Not a good experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2017