User Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

Celexa Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa

nellie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 18, 2020

“I want to write this review to anyone struggling with OCD. I have been struggling with OCD for years, and was put on Celexa. Let me tell you, it helps immensely. It did not work right away, and there are some initial side effects (nausea yuck!). I take it in the morning 40 mg. My OCD doctor is wonderful (highly recommend seeing a specialist in OCD). And she stated that for OCD this drug is safe to even go up even higher dose if necessary. I want to write this to give people HOPE. I was in a very very dark place with my OCD, I felt I would never escape the pain and discomfort of OCD. It did not work right away (which is normal), but once I got up to 30mg after a month or so I started to see improvement. This medication SAVED ME!! Truly Thank you to whoever created this medication, it is life saving for those of us who struggle with OCD and depression. Please anyone out there who has OCD starting this, be patient with yourself, find a good doctor, and know that there IS HOPE!!!”

Yikes · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

“I started on 10 mg of Celexa in 2016, after 7 years of depression and suicidal ideation. Once the drug began to take effect I had 3-4 months of feeling neurotypical. My only side effect during this time was trails of movement and rainbow auras around lights. This, however, was a very small price to pay for finally feeling good. Month 5 I entered an unshakable state of numbness. I began sleeping through full days again. I was unable to feel empathy for others. After a year or so of all-consuming numbness, I began slipping. By the end of the 2nd year, I had spiraled into the darkest place I have ever been in my life. Suicide was the only thing on my mind. I had such violent intrusive thoughts that I could hardly sleep, I could hardly lay still even. I no longer take Celexa and my head is much more clear. P.S. it does get better. I know, I know, everyone says that. But trust me. Your situation will change, you will adapt. Stay strong, please.”

Middleforker · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“I've been on Celexa for a few days and I'm experiencing some odd side effects. I can't seem to stop twitching, and I have a cold clammy sweat. I'm currently taking 10 mgs. I'm hoping that my body will adjust to it over time and these effects will subside.”

MavsFan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

“I'll let you know.. Before taking celexa 40mg I would always over think or think people were using me somehow but not anymore! If a thought runs across my mind it stops in its tracks!! I have to admit it has changed my life for the better”

Gaye · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“Before starting Celexa I was always tired, depressed and angry. Now that I started Celexa my mood is better I have more energy and I don’t fly off the handle about small things. I feel alive again I am very happy I started taking Celexa”

Blessed · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“I have been on celexa due to depression and chronic neuropathic pains, after three weeks my pains gave really gone down, but I temporarily get brain fogs in the morning and severe anxiety,I also feel chest pains and difficulty in breathing,I also gastrointestinal issues which the doctor says it's not due to celexa but due to anxiety which will come down as I continue taking the drug,so far it's good on pains but anxiety and side effects not so good for now”

Lilly December 11, 2019

“I was prescribed Celexa for severe anxiety and depression back in 2015, and took it until January of 2019. Prior to taking Celexa, I was VERY functional--but an emotional wreck. I would cry for hours, lash out at my loved ones, & was so miserable that my parents finally intervened. My first few months on Celexa were great, I cared about nothing and was freed from my anxiety--but I stopped doing my homework almost entirely. I would sleep for hours during the day despite getting a full night's sleep, lost all motivation, and felt numb. Celexa made me constantly thirsty, sweat excessively, and have low blood pressure. I remained on it because I didn't know any better, even when my anxiety came back. I have now been off of it for 10+ months, due to the blood pressure issue, and am still experiencing the side effects. I fear the brain fog, lack of motivation, and sleep paralysis will never leave me, I worry that I will never be "myself" again.”

Tee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 1, 2019

“I switched from Prozac to Celexa earlier this year thinking it would be more helpful than Prozac. I felt better for a short period of time and then it quit working. Now I have more anxiety than I first started with. I’m trying to wean off sleep meds but found that Celexa causes insomnia so how does that help? I’m beginning to have severe stomach issues that I think are related to the increased anxiety. I think I want to go back to the Prozac. I didn’t have these kind of issues.”

Anonymous November 20, 2019

“This drug made me sleepwalk three nights in a row, talk about scary,!...the final night, I took a giant swig of paint thinner, in my sleep. I immediately discontinued the drug, and all sleepwalking stopped, I was only taking it for about 5 weeks. I can still taste the turpentine”

Leah~ · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

“I started this medication today, about 8 hours ago and I thought it'd be cool to leave a day 1 review. This is my first SSRI and I am usually sensitive to medications. Maybe I'll come back and update it, however, 6 hours in I had pressure in my head, and felt really tired. I took a small nap for 20 mins and now it's 2 am and I can't sleep and I feel like I could do 100 laps. The energy spike is definitely there. Someone also told a joke and I could NOT stop laughing, even 30 mins after the joke had passed. That's really it, nothing extremely negative like I've read. ~Leah.”

Celexa User · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

“Yes, yes, and yes....Celexa has let me live again. I've tried all other medications for depression with no results at all. My energy level has improved and I am now doing more activities now. My concentration and memory has improved a lot. No more waking up in the morning not wanting to live, and no more ocd, or constantly checking things over and over again. I am sharing my experience with this medicine because there might be someone else like myself that has major depression that is struggling...”

Kenny8 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 5, 2019

“I was on Celexa in 2015 and found initially it worked well. After a while the benefits stopped and it had a number of side effects. Swelling of my face , very red eyes and few others. I had blood tests thinking it was something else but everything came back normal. Recently I started taking a magnesium supplement and I'm 90 percent certain magnesium deficiency was the cause of my long term depression. I'm feeling similar to initial benefits of celexa. I'm not a doctor but from what I understand depression and stress deplete magnesium levels in body therefore the calming effects of celexa may have contributed to an increase in magnesium being stored in body which in turn improved my mood. Magnesium certainly works me and I wont be going back to Celexa.”

Kitkat August 18, 2019

“My own experience was very traumatic unfortunately I feel like being prescribed at 15 for this pill was to young & mybe that’s why I had more side effects but here’s my story I took the pill in the AM watching tv &in that hour I begin to feel bad quickly I went to lay in bed &my stomach inside got cold weirdest feeling I’ve ever experienced in my life, all of a sudden I start vomiting after I threw up I felt better but then 5mins went by &my stomach cramps were worse! like throwing up didn’t even make it feel better my mom hears me running to the bathroom because I feel like I’m going to crap my pants &just when I go to the bathroom I throw up at the same time! my mom calls the advice nurse and she asks if I have purple dots?? Weird but I didn’t just a bad reaction to it &the nxt day I was fine, then I have a friend who’s on celex with no prblms whatsoever everyone’s body is different &this medicine seems like it helps a lot of ppl out just not me. Mental illness sucks.”

Jimmyjr · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2019

“Lost feeling from belly button down. Lost ability to run. It messed up my neurological system horribly. Can not feel physical intimacy. All kinds of issues in my lower body. This was the only med I was on. Only time taking an antidepressant. Avoid it like the plague and find natural remedies.”

Gaye · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

“I have been on Celexa for a few months and I feel so much better my mood is better and I had very little side effects. I tried other medication and would feel worse but Celexa is doing the job I know a few other people that take Celexa and they also say it works for them. I haven’t felt this happy in a very very long time ”

Nay nay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 8, 2019

“Celexa helped with my PMDD and helped me feel better about life. Euphoria the first two days, then a notice of “stopping to smell the roses”, enjoying songs more, admiring scenery. Side effects; muscle twitches, tore my GI tract up! Finally figured out if you split/crush/bite the pills, they go through way easier! I only take a half of a 5 mg daily. Also hangovers are way tougher on this medication, I may have to reduce my drinking. Thank you celexa for lifting me out of depression and making me feel better about my well-being”

Jamie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 26, 2019

“I took Celexa for Anxiety & Depression. (I am 37 yrs. old) I was on prozac very happily for 15 years (other than during pregnancy) and considered it a good drug but it stopped working. Celexa was a miracle drug. I was able to cope with every aspect of my life and felt no real major depression while on it BUT....It took me a while to realize the side effects were AWFUL. I would randomly see smoke, my vision became so bad I needed glasses and my memory was awful (which is maybe why life was running so smoothly! I had no idea what was going on??)...Anyways, I was super sad to go off it because I felt so good and even made many friends as my social anxiety didn't exist. But since going off my vision is fine, not more seeing smoke and my memory - well, I am not sure it every came back completely or maybe it is just my life...I run a company and have 4 young children. Sadly, I am still trying to find a replacement as most make meds make me super cranky!”

Andrea · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2019

“Tried taking this medication since it works wonders for my grandfather. It makes him so happy. Unfortunately it didn’t work as well for me. Makes me very sluggish and I am still having suicidal thoughts. I go to talk to my doctor tomorrow about trying a different medication. I had the gene site test completed and will hopefully find something on there that works. Prozac used to work for me but I stopped taking so I could try and have a baby. Ended up having a miscarriage and fell into a deep depression. Ended up hospitalized in a mental hospital. Received 12 rounds of ECT treatments which didn’t work. Trying to remain hopeful, but getting very tired of trying to find something that works. I have also started counselling, but need something to remove this cloud in my head. Have also thought about ketamine treatments and CBD oil.”

Handywoman · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 5, 2018

“I have been on celexa now for many years. I had almost immediate results. It was after the second dose I felt better. I had been struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts since I was at least 9 year old when I first tried to take my life. I have been in therapy off and on for the last 40 years. I have tried almost every antidepressant drug on the market. Some helped a little, but I still struggled with depression. Since I have been on celexa, I have not been suicidal. I have had some sadness because that is life and I have chronic pain too, but I have had no thoughts of suicide since I started celexa. I took this drug with wellbutrin and became violent because wellbutrin can make you angry with increased doses, so I'm off wellbutrin. Thank God for my introduction to celexa after an intervention from a group of friends and my introduction to my Dr. Thanks it changed my life.”

Coryman616 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 2, 2018

“I deal with Schizoaffective depression and I was on Celexa for years. It was an OK medication for me. What I will give it credit for is it kept me out of the hospital for a number of years. But unfortunately it wasn't the most powerful medication for me and eventually stopped working for me after a number of years. Now I am on Lexapro which is working out much better for me, it is a newer improved version of Celexa basically with fewer side effects.”

Ms. T August 29, 2018

“Horrible. This medication made my anxiety and depression unbearable and I took myself off over seven days. I still have issues but will never take psychotropic drugs ever again. I'm going to check out holistic meds and see if that will be enough for me. If things aren't working then demand a referral to a specialist. Please be careful this medication made me so sick and so down so glad I'm not taking it anymore.”

Nicole · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2018

“I have been on 20 mg of citalopram for 2 years. Just recently increased to 40 mg 6 months ago. The medication does help tremendously but I am thinking of possibly adding Wellbutrin to get my sex drive back and more energy. Ever since increasing to 40 mg I am really hungry all of the time & blah. I still feel blue :( just my personal experience, maybe my brain has had enough of SSRI’s. Don’t be afraid of trying this medication though because it really does help when you’re in a dark place. Good luck please stay in close touch with your doctors through the process and if they aren’t helping then switch. Good luck xo”

BriannaB · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 27, 2018

“I found Celexa to be very helpful. I experienced virtually no physical side effects. As far as psychological, I found that it caused me to be a bit colder and more rational minded, rather than feelings oriented. That had its positives and it’s negatives. I also found while I was on it, I was less creative- though I’m not really sure if that was the Celexa or the aftermath of the depression. I will say: DO NOT go off this cold turkey. I attempted this because I was feeling better. It affected me with physical symptoms and emotional. Google for the typical symptoms. It was extremely unpleasant.”

VPA · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2018

“I am 24 yr old female. I was on Celexa for my depression, for two weeks. After the first dose, I began to have severe hallucinations, mostly in the evening, in dark rooms with no direct light, and when I closed my eyes. Everything became checkered, usually the walls. They would move in waves and I also started seeing shadowy figures. It was very overwhelming and scary. This was the first medication I was prescribed for my depression, so I thought this was normal and would settle down after some time, so I continued to take it. After those first two weeks my hallucinations and paranoia had gotten so bad that I finally called my doctor and she had me stop taking Celexa immediately.”

DocMed May 16, 2018

“I have never left a review of a medication, and as a clinical provider, I am arguably THE WORST patient EVER! After a major MVA, I suffered several injuries, and was in constant pain for almost two years. The pain and inability to move due to a spinal injury caused me to fall into a deep depression. I'd suffered with anxiety most of my life, but found alternative methods of coping. I typically make 15k or better steps a night during my ER shifts, so to suddenly be unable to move, I was floored! My neurologist recommended I try an SSRI (Celexa) temporarily to help with my being depressed, and I reluctantly agreed. I was adamant about not taking SSRI's as I don't like anything fooling around in my brain. But it worked. I had minimal side effects, and even they eventually subsided within the first month of use. Thankfully, I no longer require the use of any SSRI, as I am two years post the accident, but I am grateful that it was available to me when I needed it.”