User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"Hello everyone, I've been on Celexa for almost 5 months now. On my 5th month, my doc bumped me up to 60mg. I initially started taking Celexa for depression. At first it seemed like I had a ton of energy, and I felt better than ever. After the first month, I was not feeling better anymore. Although my dosage has increased, I still don't feel a sense of relief. I do however have no anxiety. I don't dwell on mistakes I make like I used to. I actually feel very relaxed. So relaxed to where, I'm very lazy. I think I've gained at least 7 lbs on Celexa, probably mainly due to my sedentary lifestyle. I really don't have much energy to do anything. I can function and go to work and all, I just feel blah."

vagabond16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

"25 yr old, female. I've been taking 20 mg for 2 weeks now. Only side effect was insomnia so I started taking it in the morning. Maybe a loss in sex drive? No other side effects though. It hasn't kicked in yet."

Lexington40 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"Just got prescribed 10 milligrams, Thank God I decided to cut it in half just to see how I reacted to it, took it at night. Felt the effects in about a half hour, didn't sleep to well, felt wierd. Got in the morning to let the dog out and almost hit the floor, very dizzy. I do feel more relaxed today, and somewhat better. I was told most people don't even know they are taking it , starts to work in about 4 weeks. Not me must be very sensative to it. I think I will try 5 milligrams again tonight and see how it goes. I will keep you all informed."

Con 22250 August 6, 2016

"I've been on celexa (40mg) for several months. I'm a 55 year old female; post menopausal. I'm finding that although my sexual desire seems to have returned, actual enjoyment or ability to experience an orgasm is impossible What can I do to counter-act this response?"

Angelsbyme (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"Best medication ever I'm on 20 mg .its very important to take the medication for 6 weeks before you give up.most side effects go away after 6 weeks"

Jackie girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2016

"I've been on celexa for almost a month and I feel much better then before. I haven't noticed any side effects other then not sleeping more then four hours but that was me before I started celexa 20mg. I explained to my doctor about my sleep patterns and she wants to up my dose to 40mg and I'm really not sure about that because I don't want the side effects of a higher dose. I still have little anxiety and mild depression but it's only been 3 weeks I think a little more time on 20mg I'll be back to me. I'm also afraid if I go up in dose to 40mg will I lose my sex drive? I'd rather not I'm ok where I am. She said for me not to be afraid of it, example it's like a blood pressure medication you have to adjust that works for you."

Barbie197937 July 20, 2016

"Celexa has changed my life. The first couple days I was yawning uncontrollably which is a rare side effect. After that I started to feel like a robot almost. I just did things, I didn't think too much about anything. I guess maybe that's why it helps with depression. But not only does it suppress the bad thoughts. It also suppresses the positive and creative thoughts."

JordanStaub (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

"I am a long time sufferer from depression and anxiety and adhd and ptsd....well you name it I have been diagnosed it. I recently...like right now tried to get off celexa....head hurts so bad i cannot stand up. Been awful. Its been 3 days and i am throwing in the towel and going to go pick it up at pharmacy. Yes it works on depression and a tad for anger but I still do have episodes of anger and depression which at times I wonder are worse than before. The thing is i guess you never do know unless someone monitors you before and after. Honestly i think excercise and healthy eating would have worked just as well. I can definitley say it makes you more tired. I can say this..DONT TAKE THIS MEDICATION UNLESS YOUR SERIOUSLY IN NEED."

JessieJ35 July 8, 2016

"I have only been on Celexa for 4 days. I take 10mg. I sleep very little, sweating, naseau and have become very anxious about everything. I do drink a lot of water. I just want to feel like myself again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"I have been on this awhile I take it at night so I don't feel tired durning the day"

Anonymous June 15, 2016

"I have been on celexa for about a week and a half, ever since I had noticed a loss of appetite, and zombie like. But, as how I used to feel without the medication at first, I feel more calm and less anxious. As for the constant panic attacks that I was having, celexa helped ease it a lot. Yes, I feel tired all the time and unable to sleep well. Luckily I am taking Ristoril along with it. I am able to sleep my good eight hours, before waking up to go to college every morning. I am considering to talk with my doctor, to see if he can at least lower the dosis a bit to 10mg. I am currently taking 20mg. That way, the side effects won't take it's toll on me."

Jan87 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

"i have tried almost all SSRI that are commonly used and celexa works just like all the rest of them. It makes me feel out of it like I'm not really here and makes me extremely tired I sleep about 4 hours a day. It does help with some of my anxiety not all of it and it does help with anger"

Cmcm May 24, 2016

"I take 20 mg of Celexa and 300 of Welbutrin. When I don't take them, I'm much more irritable. I can still feel sadness and happiness, I just feel level somehow. If you stop cold turkey, it causes nausea, for me anyways, and i can tell I feel different off them. Still have some obsessive tendencies but overall, I wouldn't want to not take them."

Melmoe May 7, 2016

"I was on celexa for about 3 months, started with 10 mg. and raised up to 20 when I felt no changes. After going up to 20, i felt constantly tired, drowsy and like a walking zombie. My anxiety and depression only got worse, it caused me to have thoughts of suicide and self harm and I just felt worse overall. My experience on celexa was terrible and I would not recomend this drug at all."

Joycee222 May 6, 2016

"I started taking this after resisting medication for acute depression. I'm going through a life changing situation that won't last forever so I am hoping my time on this med will be limited to just a year. This is day 3 of 10mg. My only complaint is that I seem to have to poo constantly (not diarrhea). I'm worried about the libido issue and not enough time has passed for me to know if it'll become a problem. I seem to take longer to fall asleep and feel that I'm sleeping much lighter than before. Every little sound or movement from my husband wakes me. Other than that it's been positive. Yesterday I was actually a little bit giddy. I haven't been like that in over a year. It felt nice."

Lessie McL May 4, 2016

"I give this a 0 as with all other antidepressants because they don't relieve symptoms naturally. I also had an extremely bad reaction with this one."

jeff.roach0 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"THANK god for this drug. I can honestly say they have completely turned my life around. Striking a conversation with an old friend or a stranger used to be incredibly awkward and I would over analyze my words. Now, I’m completely comfortable talking to anyone and I really don’t seem to be bothered by a whole lot. I really do believe this drug has not only changed my life but it has saved my relationship and done wonders for my social life. I have switched to Cipralex due to some side effects, I feel it has the same benefits as Celexa but is much cleaner. For anyone in the beginning stages of this drug, (especially experiencing no libido, digestive issues, insomnia), please just stick it out, I PROMISE it gets much better!"

BG123 March 18, 2016

"I was prescribed 20mg citalopram for anxiety and depression. It helped out immensely for keeping me calm, never stressed, and it helped me sleep well at night. However, it killed my libido and has made me emotionless. It didn't help my social anxiety very much. I can go out and not be a nervous wreck, but I can't enjoy myself. I feel like a walking zombie for most of the day, but my appetite is normal. What bothered me the most is, I can't hold a conversation with the people I love the most. I didn't have the enthusiasm to talk to my husband like I used to. I've been on this drug for 2 weeks. It killed my libido on my second day of taking it. I'm going to taper down to 10mg and see how I feel."

MLBA1989 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2016

"This is VERY tricky to evaluate. My new doc raved about as it had helped her. "They should pipe it right into the water supply!" She squealed. Well... I would rather be clear and sad, than in a zombie-twilight world. 20mg after 2 weeks and I am fed up. Utterly impossible to climax and have an orgasm. And believe me-I tried! 2nd-My girlfriend noticed that I completely stopped playing and practicing guitar! And I am a pro. It's just too dangerous of a mind drug, and perhaps only suitable in extreme situations like death of a family member. Certainly not for just being in a rut, sadness or the blues. It will just zombie you out. Glad I experienced it. Time to move on with life. Without a brain fog chemical. Orgasms are a sign of life"

Mike Pulse February 27, 2016

"The citalopram finally made me start feeling less depressed. I was put on a low dose of 10mg daily along with bupropion. They work really well together, but sadly I couldn't afford to keep taking the bupropion."

bnbloomi76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2016

"This med has helped me (male, 50) considerably to deal with depression and panic attacks. I experienced the usual side effects of night sweating and still have some occasional sweaty palms and some yawning. After beginning, my depression initially got worse, but 8 weeks later I feel better-balanced. I switched to taking the med after dinner. I tried 40mg with no additional benefits, only more tired, then back to 20mg. It does take several weeks to reach effectiveness, so be patient if you don't feel immediate improvement."

g one (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

"I have been taken citalopram since I'm 19 years old, after an acute life event. I started with 20mg a day po which helped me for over 1 year. After 1 year I felt that my depression is coming back so I talked to my physician and we increased the daily dose to 40mg po. I am now taking this medication for over 6 years and for me its the one and only medication that helps. Yes I have had some side effects like loosing weight (15 pounds) trouble sleeping (5-6 h) a day max. and insomnia. But still I can finally start living my normal life which I could not do without this medication. I work as a Rn in a ED and see a lot of patients with depression, ptsd (like me) or other problems who don't take any medications, which I would not recommend..."

Julesrn February 8, 2016

"My daughter took this drug. Side effects, experiencing past two days and I don't know how many more days: Continual boxing w/ arms, can't sit still, can not sleep, races around her room. she describes her condition right now as horrific, can not take this any longer. I am very concerned about her, she lives 5 states away from me. I would not recommend this drug for anyone. Doctor described her condition as Akathesia. Horrible!!"

Hef January 26, 2016

"I was put on Celexa for Depression, Bipolar as well as my OCD (Onsessive Compulsive Disorder). I start off taking 10mg and then later upgraded to 20mg but my experience wasn't entirely the greatest. The Celexa aggravated my OCD ticks making them occur more frequently which automatically raised my level of anxiety and stress. I am always tired and feel like a complete zombie, I find it tiring to even laugh and smile. My appetite has increased drastically, I pretty much never stop eating. And it has really affected my bipolar making me very irritable. Ever since I've been on Celexa I've had many child-like tantrums where I have gotten physically violent. This pill wasn't for me. I am currently still on Celexa but am being weened off of it."

Haleydarlingnc (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

"Changed and SAVED my life..."

TAR12 January 19, 2016