User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"Experienced depressive symptoms lightly for years. Then over the past year when exposed to many life stressors because signficant in impairing my quality of life. Celexa has greatly improved my quality of life and most days I feel little to no depressive thoughts. I have been taking Celexa for 6 weeks. It also got rid of my anxiety (70-80% of it) and has improved my OCD symptoms a great deal. I started on 5 mg upping to 10mg"

MxMxM July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I remember a half a year ago reading these reviews and I was very eager to not feeling worthless anymore. The first month was bleh. Had bad diarrhea but slept great for once. But over time feelings of worthlessness and being overly fearful faded away. I started to slowly be able to get out of bed in the night (third shift) and be excited to go to work and engage people. Sadly, over time the anxiety seemed to have gotten worse. My sleeping also went back to its normal habits. They upped it to 40mg to no avail. Now I'm off cold turkey and the depression is hitting harder than it has ever. Wish I could get back on it. It was a literal life saver."

Great for depression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"not sure if it did anything"

katzy June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started out on 10mg of Celexa, nothing happened. When I got to 20mg, I started feeling sick (I felt like I was going to vomit all the time) and irritated. Once I got to 40mg, I began to feel impulsive and wired. I could barely sleep and I was doing risky things; even my friends said I wasn't myself! I got put on Neurontin after this, I'm glad I switched."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

"Saved my life."

msmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love Celexa. I was getting depressed after long hours of med school and studying and feeling like I had no time enjoyment. Celexa took about 3 weeks to work, but it worked and continues to work. I no longer feel depressed every day. Sometimes I sink into depression, but I am able to snap out of it much quicker. I feel less moody, and my boyfriend has noticed an improvement in my mood. The only side effect I experience is decreased sex drive/harder time climaxing, but I would prefer that over going off the deep end. I will continue to take this and consider weening myself from it once life is less stressful. Great medicine that can save your life."

I love Celexa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I was on Celexa years ago it worked wonderfully for me, night and day. I came off and tried natural treatments for a year and a half with no success so I went back on Celexa (again at 40 mg a day as I was on before.) It definitely helps me a lot but it isn't as helpful as before when I took it. I've added abilify 2 months ago (5mg) but it still isn't quite enough. I feel like my functionality is at about 60-70% now (compared to ~10% without Celexa) --My GP has referred me to a psychiatrist and I hope I can find something or a combo of things to help me get to 100% again soon. I don't have any bad side effects from Celexa and it helps me with anxiety within 24 hours and depression within 2 weeks of starting."

Cari73762518276 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug used to do wonders. I went on it because one antidepressant wasn't enough to get me out of bed and moving. It lifted me up and gave me the motivation to be able to take care of my daily living needs and hold a stable job. The side effect that causes them to take me off of it was because it was making me manic (as I am bipolar) and it caused me to make quick, risky, and ill-advised life decisions. Taking me off the drug has effectively stopped the quick life decision side effect, and after getting off of it, I've been able to think more clearly, be more mindful of my movement and thought-processes, and gave me a general feeling of wellness. The negative of getting off of it, however, is that I lost my ability to sleep well."

Non-Professional Patient (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Citalopram works great for me. I've been on and off of it for about 5 years. When I was on it several years ago it was like night and day. I have major depression and general anxiety. When going back on it most recently (4 months ago), I started at 20mg for the first month. The first dose helped my anxiety immensely. Within a few weeks my depression lifted some. I'm now on 40mg again and it is definitely helping, but I feel like in the past it worked better for the depression. So Today I've started 5mg Abilify in addition; hoping it will help some more."

Cariabcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got this as a prescription from my doctor, after spending endless hour doing research on this medication I decided to give it a try. I was on celexa for almost 5 months. During this time I felt like a cloud has over my head the whole time, my brain did not function and I felt like life was absolutely unbearable. Might work for some people but It did more harm than good while I was on it. Had to stop. I've found that what got me my life back was an alternate method that came as a lifesaver for me that didn't involve medication. It involves steps to being more motivated and accomplishing things daily. http://happylifeengine.com/archives/30 I am back to being me and I feel hopeful about the future. I just needed ti be shown how to get my life back on track. Hope you all get your life back as I did . "

Not a good experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got prescribed this medication for mild anxiety & minor depression. I usually get overwhelmed by things that should feel not so worrisome, & replay things that irritate or upset me over & over in my head. I've been on a light dose of Celexa for about a week now. I take it at night & don't have trouble sleeping. I will say right when it hits 645 - 7am I wake up & am immediately wide awake though. I have definitely noticed a positive change. Not a huge one, but just enough to make me feel more "normal". I can be a bit of a drag sometimes, & just not my peppy self that I know is hiding in me. This has made me feel much more of a positive peppy "good parts of myself" come out more & I can manage my stress better & lighter than I was before."

AEsp February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on the generic version Citolopram. First 10mg for 7 days then up'd to 20mg. Now on that for little over 4 weeks. Still feel blah. I've been switching when I take it to see if it helps sleep. Well apparently you need to take at night! It's cousin to lexapro. I just took my 20mg at 9a.m.(to see) an its 2 hrs later an I'm very sleepy. I'm giving it 6 wks . I'm on med #7. I hope this works. Not many left for me to try. Not much side effects with Celexa. Occasional anxiety but I also have Klonapine when needed. So going back to take at night. I am having night sweats occasionally also but lethargy during day."

Zio10 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the last 15 years I've changed I didn't know what was wrong never wanting to leave my tiny little bedroom not caring what was going on anywhere making excuses not to leave my little comfort zone the funny thing is that I was always an outside person hated being inside now I don't care if I live or die I think it would be better if I would die I think about the unthinkable all of the time I need serious help but don't want to go to a doctor don't like going out does anyone have any suggestions?? I was given this medicine by a doctor about 6 months ago does anyone think it will help I'm on my last hope!!"

Kayfant February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on celexa for a bit over a year to treat my clinical depression which I had for 5 years and general anxiety which I had for 3, and it has literally saved my life. I started with 5mg and worked up to 40mg, and I've never felt better than I do after being on celexa. It's helped me so much, I can finally live and enjoy my life again"

Jess_18 December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Wellbutrin, which worked great for me but my insurance would not cover the cost and my insurance does cover Celexa so my Dr. switched me to Celexa to see if it would work for me. The first 2 weeks I felt great! I had tons of energy and just felt really good. I did have some mild nausea but not something that I couldn't handle. After 2 weeks I started feeling extremly tired and went from sleeping 6-7 hours per night (the most I have ever slept at night) to sleeping 10 hours a night. I also feel really tired and just blah all day. I got to the point that I just feel numb and stopped caring about anything. Dishes and laundry piled up, don't care. Family needs dinner, don't care. Needless to say I will be switching meds!"

DanniLeigh November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Celexa for 2 months for depression, starting at 10 mg, then 20 mg, and now at 30 mg, which is a good dosage for my symptoms. In 2015 I spiraled into a dark depression which I never experienced before. It was a very lonely, empty hopeless feeling. I lost interest in everything I had previously enjoyed, and dreaded waking up in the morning. It went on for a year before I decided to try medication. For the first 2 weeks on Celexa, there was no change. Then, the 3rd week I was able to cope with negative things so much better. By the 4th week, I slowly began to do things again. I am now back to my old self again, which is a great feeling! The only side effects are groggy mornings accompanied with intense yawning."

Renee L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was placed on Celexa in 2008 and have been on it ever sense. Although at one point in 2011 I thought I could stop taking it and took myself off for about 3 months and felt the difference. It has truly given me back my peace and happiness!!!"

LDeeHappyLaddii November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did nothing to help my depression. Made me feel suicidal and zombie like"

Quiggle (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medicine for 3 months now, I am on 20mg per day. The first tablet I took was a complete trip, then with the other tablets I did not have any weird feelings as if I was high. I had some side effects such as light tremors in my hands and thirst. I did not drink any alcohol for 1.5 months, I discovered wine brings up my depression so I do not drink wine any more. Just a glass of whisky every now and then. The first three weeks were a bit rough but things started to move forwards in a very pleasent way, family and friends noticed I smile all the time and yes I deffo feel happier. Anxiety levels have come down, although I do have probably a panic attack a month. This medicine has been a life saver for me, I have no emotions"

Keiks October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Celexa for almost 3 years now and I'm very happy with the results in regards to my depression. Most of the sideffects went away after the first year but it has definitely altered my sleep and I have absolutely no sex drive. I would highly recommend it for effectiveness but if you're not okay with living with some side effects it may not be for you."

Shmazool October 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 33 years old and have been depressed for as long as I can remember. This year I took the leap and accepted the fact that I need medications to continue living a functional life. I was prescribed 20mg Celexa once a day. For the first two months things were getting better I did experience some insomnia but that subsided after two weeks. I eventually plateaued and was given a new dose of 40mg. Not sure how much it has helped, I constantly feel tired and lack motivation. I will looking at other meds when I see my doc next."

Kyle6440 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18 and on my third day of celexa, I've had depression 3+ years now and have gone unmedicated. I finally agreed to try celexa 30MG and .25MG of xanax. Changing my life and cannot wait for even more improvement. Only issues so far is some insomnia and CONSTANT yawning but it's a small price to pay!"

Em98 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I felt like a zombie on this medication, gained weight, had no sex drive, and basically walked around not knowing what was going on. Definitely wouldn't recommend based on my own experience."

Ang.S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never write reviews but have read a thousand reviews about anxiety and depression. This drug Celexa saved me changed my life and I have been on everything under the sun this has been the only thing to stop my racing thoughts my anxiety and depression. Try this! My only issues is difficult reaching orgasm I fan just difficult but I can deal with that! I take 30mg a day."

EricB73 September 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello everyone, I've been on Celexa for almost 5 months now. On my 5th month, my doc bumped me up to 60mg. I initially started taking Celexa for depression. At first it seemed like I had a ton of energy, and I felt better than ever. After the first month, I was not feeling better anymore. Although my dosage has increased, I still don't feel a sense of relief. I do however have no anxiety. I don't dwell on mistakes I make like I used to. I actually feel very relaxed. So relaxed to where, I'm very lazy. I think I've gained at least 7 lbs on Celexa, probably mainly due to my sedentary lifestyle. I really don't have much energy to do anything. I can function and go to work and all, I just feel blah."

vagabond16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016