User Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

Celexa has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 334 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 61% of those users who reviewed Celexa reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 11, 2021

“I have been off celexa for about 6 months after taking it 18 months. When I first started 20mg a day for a week then 40mg. I was a zombie for a month! Foggy headed, that ended after a month. I started caring less and less about anything. The lack of motivation got worse. Then I would cry because my house was in such a mess! Nothing else bothered me. I have only seen the dr. A few times after I started the medication, that was over a video appointment . I was gradually gaining weight, my heart pounded, blood pressure was high. No motivation! I'm now on another med and feel great!”

Humaid1969 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2021

“I was on 40 mg celexa For 2 years then switched to lexapro 20 mg because I have been told it's more effective and easy to find in my country. I got pain everywhere, all my body weakness and anxiety more. That's why I switched again to celexa 40 mg No pain. No panic attacks, I'm more active but I suffered with insomnia .. no problem...”

Cricket March 11, 2021

“I was prescribed Celexa for depression. It worked great and I felt much better, but I gained weight I was FAMISHED all of the time and eating made no difference. I gained 40 pounds in three months. Went from a size 6 to a size 14 so fast that I skipped sizes 10 and 12 entirely. I was over 50 with a history of overweight females and diabetes in my family. Doctor was unresponsive to my concerns and said that “we” were going to keep taking the Celexa. I didn’t argue with her, even though I knew that “we” weren’t going to keep taking it. I stopped the Celexa. I had no withdrawal symptoms after stopping cold turkey, but it was work taking off any of the weight I had gained, never have been back to a size 6. The depression eventually came back, after living with it and suicidal urges for a year was started on Wellbutrin. Other meds were added as other symptoms became evident ( mostly anxiety). It’s ok, though. Life is good.”

Anonymous March 25, 2008

“I responded after one week. The side effects (lethargy, some bowel problems) are the only reason i didnt rate this medicine a 10. After 44 years of excessive anxiety and depression I finally feel like I can be "myself" instead enslaved to unreasonable thoughts and frustrations. Ironically, I avoided these types of meds for years, instead "self medicating" with alcohol and cynicism. Had I switched to this years ago maybe I would still be married to a wonderful woman. Sad, but true.”

nellie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 18, 2020

“I want to write this review to anyone struggling with OCD. I have been struggling with OCD for years, and was put on Celexa. Let me tell you, it helps immensely. It did not work right away, and there are some initial side effects (nausea yuck!). I take it in the morning 40 mg. My OCD doctor is wonderful (highly recommend seeing a specialist in OCD). And she stated that for OCD this drug is safe to even go up even higher dose if necessary. I want to write this to give people HOPE. I was in a very very dark place with my OCD, I felt I would never escape the pain and discomfort of OCD. It did not work right away (which is normal), but once I got up to 30mg after a month or so I started to see improvement. This medication SAVED ME!! Truly Thank you to whoever created this medication, it is life saving for those of us who struggle with OCD and depression. Please anyone out there who has OCD starting this, be patient with yourself, find a good doctor, and know that there IS HOPE!!!”

Celexa User · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

“Yes, yes, and yes....Celexa has let me live again. I've tried all other medications for depression with no results at all. My energy level has improved and I am now doing more activities now. My concentration and memory has improved a lot. No more waking up in the morning not wanting to live, and no more ocd, or constantly checking things over and over again. I am sharing my experience with this medicine because there might be someone else like myself that has major depression that is struggling...”

Anonymous January 29, 2010

“I've been taking Celexa for about 2 months now and my life is completely different. I have been struggling with depression on and off for about 14 years now. It was getting really bad for me, I was at the point where I couldn't control my emotions at all. It made me very drowsy at first, but that subsided after a couple of weeks. I feel so much better inside and people around me can tell a distinct difference too. I like the fact that it doesn't make me emotionless, just that my emotions aren't so strong and out of control. I still get sad, but that is a normal human emotion. I am so thankful that there are ways to make people like me feel better. Depression is a disease, not a choice.”

Gaye · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“Before starting Celexa I was always tired, depressed and angry. Now that I started Celexa my mood is better I have more energy and I don’t fly off the handle about small things. I feel alive again I am very happy I started taking Celexa”

Yikes · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

“I started on 10 mg of Celexa in 2016, after 7 years of depression and suicidal ideation. Once the drug began to take effect I had 3-4 months of feeling neurotypical. My only side effect during this time was trails of movement and rainbow auras around lights. This, however, was a very small price to pay for finally feeling good. Month 5 I entered an unshakable state of numbness. I began sleeping through full days again. I was unable to feel empathy for others. After a year or so of all-consuming numbness, I began slipping. By the end of the 2nd year, I had spiraled into the darkest place I have ever been in my life. Suicide was the only thing on my mind. I had such violent intrusive thoughts that I could hardly sleep, I could hardly lay still even. I no longer take Celexa and my head is much more clear. P.S. it does get better. I know, I know, everyone says that. But trust me. Your situation will change, you will adapt. Stay strong, please.”

baker90 March 7, 2008

“I was fortunate to have found an effective method of treatment for my depression after trying only a few different medications. I began with Lexapro, which gave me drymouth, provided little relief and resulted in an uncomfortable feeling if a dosage was missed. Cymbalta gave me a constant headache. I started on 20mg of Celexa and after a few weeks I felt more like myself. I have been taking 40mg for three years and have had great results with few side effects. Mild decreased in sex drive.”

ash12345 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2013

“I have been on Celexa for 2 months. I was very reluctant and had tried several in the past (couldn't get past the side effects). I didn't feel great the first couple weeks, but it wasn't awful. After 3 weeks, I felt better, more relaxed, and happier. I didn't feel much different, just started enjoying things more (as they should be). I smile more and laugh more - I get excited about things (I haven't felt excitement in a LONG time). I'm so happy I stuck with this one and it has truly worked for me. Also, I've had trouble accepting an anti-depressant as a treatment option because I have no reason to be depressed - great life, kids, job, husband. But, I was. I guess it's my brain chemistry, but it is what it is. This works!”

MavsFan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

“I'll let you know.. Before taking celexa 40mg I would always over think or think people were using me somehow but not anymore! If a thought runs across my mind it stops in its tracks!! I have to admit it has changed my life for the better”

Tommye Leemann December 10, 2008

“After years of trying everything from self medication to prescription drugs, Celexa has proven to be the best (for me). My marriage has been saved and countless friendships as well. I have no side effects on this medication and I love that. I have tried countless others and they either had terrible side effects or just did not work at all. I'm not a bit sorry I tried it, and will stay on it, as I am tired of not feeling like a whole person without it.”

Anonymous July 27, 2009

“I was on 100mg of Zoloft a day for 6 years and suddenly my depression symptoms were coming back quickly. When I spoke to my Doctor, she suggested Cymbalta or Abilify as a supplement to the Zoloft, but as I am uninsured, they were way too expensive. She suggested we try Celexa and I weaned off of the Zoloft while slowly increasing the dosage of the Celexa to 20mg. So far, so good. I actually wish I had been taking it all along, because I have more energy, have actually lost some of the weight I gained on Zoloft, and the sexual side effects are not nearly as bad as the Zoloft. Everyone is different, but I highly recommend it.”

K-Murr October 29, 2013

“I've been on 10 mg of Citalopram for 6 months. Honestly, I've always been skeptical regarding anti-depressants (SSRIs), but once I quit being stubborn and finally started on this medication...just, thank goodness. Citalopram has essentially saved my life. I feel like the me I SHOULD be; as in, this drug didn't turn me emotionless/zombielike; it simply enhanced me and has brought me back to life. I'm happier, more confident, and so thankful that I've gotten myself out of an abyss of chronic sadness. I have experienced a few side effects such as SUPER vivid dreams and more difficulty self-lubricating before sex, but in the scope of things it's totally manageable. Also, I did NOT gain weight, so don't let that possibility scare you off!!”

MommySusan1 September 13, 2009

“I have suffered from depression off and on for years and have taken Zoloft in the past. This time it didn't seem to be working. I also was hit with overwhelming anxiety because of my husband's job difficulties. The doctor prescribed Celexa a couple of months ago. After 3 weeks, I was ready to give up on this because it took longer to kick in than Zoloft. I also had terrible dry mouth and food just didn't taste good. But the Doctor bumped me up to 60 mg and that really did the trick. I only have dry mouth when I first wake up in the morning and food tastes good again. My hubby said that on Zoloft I was more "flat emotioned" but on the Celexa, I have the normal ups and downs that everyone else has. The only negative is that I am on the tired side, but not terribly bad. It is a lot better than wanting to jump in front of a bus. I urge everyone to give this a try and stick with it. Good luck!”

imhavingagreatday · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2014

“I've been diagnosed with moderate depression in December. I've been in therapy with a psychologist since October. I lost my job, didn't go to school, broke up with my boyfriend, I was pretty much a mess. I had no motivation whatsoever. I basically secluded myself. I started Celexa 3 weeks ago and WOW oh WOW. I feel so happy. People noticed that I've changed and seriously the first week on Celexa was hard but it's so worth it. Stick with it, give it a chance. The only problem I have with Celexa is that it takes me forever to achieve orgasm but whatever I still have a sex drive which is very good. I got my boyfriend back, yay. Now I'm back to school, found a new job. I mean I got my life back on track and I am so happy with the results.”

melissa9 May 20, 2014

“I am 28 year old female. I was prescribed 10 mg. I read a lot of reviews on Celexa where people said they felt a difference the first week and was starting to get really disappointed when I felt no different in that time frame. I have been on it for exactly 7 weeks now and am just now starting to notice a difference. My interests have returned, I have more energy, and I am able to focus. Overall I am definitely happier and don't feel down in the dumps anymore. The only side effect I had was it made me very tired in the beginning but that has gone away completely. For me, Celexa is working!”

Gaye · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

“I have been on Celexa for a few months and I feel so much better my mood is better and I had very little side effects. I tried other medication and would feel worse but Celexa is doing the job I know a few other people that take Celexa and they also say it works for them. I haven’t felt this happy in a very very long time ”

Anonymous April 27, 2008

“I began taking Celexa 10 mg tablet 3 years ago - one every evening. I find that it helps a lot with low moods and mood swings especially around the time of my period. I've always had mood swings but didn't quite understand why I felt so bad on some days and felt pretty good other days. This pill helps to regulate my moods so that I'm feeling good most of the time!”

beok · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2013

“I have suffered with depression and anxiety for the past five years. Gained almost 100lbs due to emotional eating and no energy to work out. I have tried Zoloft and Paxil and I stopped because I felt numb. Not depressed anymore but not happy or even content.....just numb. Just a month ago I started taking 10mg of Celexa and I finally feel like my old self. Suddenly I'm interested in things again and I'm not suffering from negative thoughts racing in my brain. I am hopeful and I have confidence that I can handle situations like I used to. I hated leaving my house, almost as much as I hated being left alone with my children. Now all is calm.”

Anonymous August 2, 2009

“This medication has wiped out almost all of my daily bouts of depression. For the longest time I would have depression daily and now to be free of this burden, this weight, it's like living in a different body. I love feeling more up beat, even the days when its simply a good casual uneventful day. I am happy and content.”

Anonymous July 23, 2008

“I have taken Celexa (started at 40 mg now at 20 mg) since I was 18 and have learned that it has been very beneficial in helping me maintain a positive mood. Along with a healthy diet and exercise I know that Celexa will probably be a part of my life forever. The only side effects I experience are frequent yawning and occasional sleepiness. Sleepiness is less of an issue if I take the medication at the same time of day consistently (late afternoon.)”

Anonymous October 16, 2009

“So far Celexa has been great. I was very hesitant to start a medicine for depression/anxiety. But after being extremely low, hostile and moody for months it was time to go to the doctor. I was angry and depressed all the time. I just wish I went for help sooner. Also, I used to get panic pains in my chest and throat probably 100 times a day. Sudden scared and nervous little panics over anything! It has helped that a lot too. No side effects for me except good ones! The only reason I cannot give this a 10 is that I have only been on it for a month. Hopefully these results last!”

brix · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2013

“I have absolutely no complaints about Celexa. I've been on 20mg for about a month and a half now, and I feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off of me. I spend so much less of my day thinking about things that upset me, and I'm much more capable of just letting negative thoughts go and not letting them affect me. As a college student, I've dealt been dealing with a tremendous amount of social and academic stress. I was very weary about getting on an antidepressant out of fear of being "judged", but in retrospect getting on Celexa may be the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't help but to post on here and share my experience. It certainly took a little while to kick in, but be patient. I am feeling happy like I haven't in years!”

Nay nay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 8, 2019

“Celexa helped with my PMDD and helped me feel better about life. Euphoria the first two days, then a notice of “stopping to smell the roses”, enjoying songs more, admiring scenery. Side effects; muscle twitches, tore my GI tract up! Finally figured out if you split/crush/bite the pills, they go through way easier! I only take a half of a 5 mg daily. Also hangovers are way tougher on this medication, I may have to reduce my drinking. Thank you celexa for lifting me out of depression and making me feel better about my well-being”

Anonymous November 3, 2009

“Citalopram is the best thing that ever happened to me. It was like a cloud was lifted and I could see everything in my life clearly. It is amazing and I have very minimal side effects. Just more intense dreams and at first it messed up my sleep schedule. I would be tired alot and then not be able to fall asleep. But that passed after a few weeks. Ive been on it for about 9 months now and it is still working great!”

Keepit100 · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2014

“I've suffered from depression/social anxiety for years. After a recent breakup, my depression spiraled out if control. My doc put me on Remeron for about a month which did nothing Except help me sleep. In the past I've taken: Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and Buspar. I was just prescribed 20mg Celexa a week ago and WOW-the constant racing cynical voices have been silenced-instead of picturing worst case scenarios I'm picturing best case scenarios-I haven't felt this "at peace" feeling for SO LONG. I'm excited, because the dark cloud is lifting more by the day. I haven't experienced any side effects.”