User Reviews for Celexa

Celexa Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Depression

"I have been on celexa now for many years. I had almost immediate results. It was after the second dose I felt better. I had been struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts since I was at least 9 year old when I first tried to take my life. I have been in therapy off and on for the last 40 years. I have tried almost every antidepressant drug on the market. Some helped a little, but I still struggled with depression. Since I have been on celexa, I have not been suicidal. I have had some sadness because that is life and I have chronic pain too, but I have had no thoughts of suicide since I started celexa. I took this drug with wellbutrin and became violent because wellbutrin can make you angry with increased doses, so I'm off wellbutrin. Thank God for my introduction to celexa after an intervention from a group of friends and my introduction to my Dr. Thanks it changed my life."

Handywoman (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2018

"I deal with Schizoaffective depression and I was on Celexa for years. It was an OK medication for me. What I will give it credit for is it kept me out of the hospital for a number of years. But unfortunately it wasn't the most powerful medication for me and eventually stopped working for me after a number of years. Now I am on Lexapro which is working out much better for me, it is a newer improved version of Celexa basically with fewer side effects."

Coryman616 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2018

"Horrible. This medication made my anxiety and depression unbearable and I took myself off over seven days. I still have issues but will never take psychotropic drugs ever again. I'm going to check out holistic meds and see if that will be enough for me. If things aren't working then demand a referral to a specialist. Please be careful this medication made me so sick and so down so glad I'm not taking it anymore."

Ms. T August 29, 2018

"I have been on 20 mg of citalopram for 2 years. Just recently increased to 40 mg 6 months ago. The medication does help tremendously but I am thinking of possibly adding Wellbutrin to get my sex drive back and more energy. Ever since increasing to 40 mg I am really hungry all of the time & blah. I still feel blue :( just my personal experience, maybe my brain has had enough of SSRI’s. Don’t be afraid of trying this medication though because it really does help when you’re in a dark place. Good luck please stay in close touch with your doctors through the process and if they aren’t helping then switch. Good luck xo"

Nicole (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

"I found Celexa to be very helpful. I experienced virtually no physical side effects. As far as psychological, I found that it caused me to be a bit colder and more rational minded, rather than feelings oriented. That had its positives and it’s negatives. I also found while I was on it, I was less creative- though I’m not really sure if that was the Celexa or the aftermath of the depression. I will say: DO NOT go off this cold turkey. I attempted this because I was feeling better. It affected me with physical symptoms and emotional. Google for the typical symptoms. It was extremely unpleasant."

BriannaB (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2018

"I am 24 yr old female. I was on Celexa for my depression, for two weeks. After the first dose, I began to have severe hallucinations, mostly in the evening, in dark rooms with no direct light, and when I closed my eyes. Everything became checkered, usually the walls. They would move in waves and I also started seeing shadowy figures. It was very overwhelming and scary. This was the first medication I was prescribed for my depression, so I thought this was normal and would settle down after some time, so I continued to take it. After those first two weeks my hallucinations and paranoia had gotten so bad that I finally called my doctor and she had me stop taking Celexa immediately."

VPA (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

"I have never left a review of a medication, and as a clinical provider, I am arguably THE WORST patient EVER! After a major MVA, I suffered several injuries, and was in constant pain for almost two years. The pain and inability to move due to a spinal injury caused me to fall into a deep depression. I'd suffered with anxiety most of my life, but found alternative methods of coping. I typically make 15k or better steps a night during my ER shifts, so to suddenly be unable to move, I was floored! My neurologist recommended I try an SSRI (Celexa) temporarily to help with my being depressed, and I reluctantly agreed. I was adamant about not taking SSRI's as I don't like anything fooling around in my brain. But it worked. I had minimal side effects, and even they eventually subsided within the first month of use. Thankfully, I no longer require the use of any SSRI, as I am two years post the accident, but I am grateful that it was available to me when I needed it."

DocMed May 16, 2018

"I am taking Citalopram at 2.5 mg. Very low dose as high doses can send me to a psychiatric ward. I have a very sensitive system. It has worked very well for me at that dose. This medication has helped me continue to work and live life. Side effects: spacey, slow thoughts, feeling of “high”, sweaty palms, equilibrium off a bit due to feeling “high”. Someone here said that healthy eating and exercise will solve all depression and anxiety problems. That is not true. I practice healthy eating, go to therapy and exercise daily yet it has not solved depression issues. Some here have experienced terrible issues with this medication. 10mg to start off with is not for everyone. I am disappointed that the medication doesn’t offer 1mg for us who are highly sensitive. The overdosing that happens more often than not, is an issue. Listen to your body it will tell you how it’s reacting to the dosage. Thank you for reading."

Tulip May 6, 2018

"This medication was extremely dangerous for me. When I began taking it I started to sweat profusely, I had a terrible headache, I was nauseous and shaking uncontrollably. Luckily, I was at an impatient facility. The psychiatrist immediately stoped the medication and told me I was suffering from Seretonin overdose AKA Seretonin syndrome which can be deadly. I was so pale I started to turn grey. Once the medication was out of my system it took about a week to feel better. "

Bipolar18 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"This med work pretty good for depression and anxiety. However I gained over 25 pounds in 4 months and stopped taking it due to massive weight gain."

Mickey (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

"Just another Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. At least they don't make me sick. 40 mg at bed time. I have tried all the other ones, and have had some bad side effects. I don't think it does anything ,but my doc thinks for sure if I stop taking it I would feel worse. If he would get my records from mental health from about 25 years ago he would see I was taking 60mg for about six months, with no effect. I feel I am just another payday every 3 months to him."

Jim Beam works,Bad side effect February 3, 2018

"I was recently diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder, instead of being Major Depressive which is what my psychiatrist originally diagnosed me with. My psychiatrist said that Celexa works well for people like me, who have Bipolar Disorder - it helps prevent the extreme depressive episodes. Let me just say, that Celexa has changed my changed my life for the better. I feel more optimistic, and I can smile again. Celexa works for me, and I mentally feel better"

NightRaven92 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

"I began taking Celexa fifteen years ago to help with depression associated with chronic pain and side effects of a morphine pump implant. I had tried several other medications but they 'messed up my head' and I couldn't think straight! Celexa along with my pump to treat the chronic pain, significantly added to my quality of life. I notice few side effects, and it isn't clear if they are from the morphine and hydromorphone breakthrough pain meds, or the depression. Overall, life is good! Praise God for doctors and proper meds!"

Pastor's Hubby (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

"After the side effects wore off (2-4 weeks of occasional insomnia heightened anxiety bathroom issues and no energy) my overall outlook on life was much more positive. I was laughing, taking on more work, taking care of myself and feeling good. I didn’t notice much weight gain but working in construction between a slowed metabolism and the hard work my weight remained within 2 pounds up or down. Unfortunately I had a rare side effect creep up after 3 months of use, it induced TMJ in me to the point I couldn’t eat. I switched to escitalopram and the TMJ subsided but found that escitalopram did not work for me and I actually gained weight very quickly. Mind you I’ve been on Wellbutrin in conjunction with these medications without issue with W."

Radia75 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"I take 20 mg and I have done so for the last year for depression. I tried to take it before I was going on a drive, actually a four hour drive and it really distorted the whole trip. I felt like I wasn't apart of the traveling experience...it was a really weird I will never take it again before long drive. I had to change my time of when I took it to later in the evening before I went to bed. As it got dark on the drive I noticed how blurry everything had become, I struggled so hard to read the road signs that I normally could more clearly. For me there is no way I could take it at the beginning of the day."

Sharon VA December 1, 2017

"This is the only antidepressant I have ever taken (and I've tried a lot of them) that has not given me anxiety and jitters. It is too bad the doses don't go up very high and it could work a little better with anxiety than it does but for an antidepressant it is the only one I can tolerate for extended periods of time. So thankful for it. Because I am an addict I can't take benzos and this keeps anxiety under control with a PRN hydroxyzine when it happens anyway."

noreshii October 10, 2017

"I am on my second round of celexa. I took it many years ago for a few years, only 10mg a day. It definitely worked but after a few years I decided to get off it. You need to ween yourself off it very slowly if you’ve taken it for a long time. I experienced voices and hallucinations the first couple days going off it completely after I thought I had weened myself enough so I had to ween myself for another month. I had never had symptoms like that in my life. However, I got off of it. Now my depression and anxiety came back for quite a bit so I went back on celexa 20 mg and it is definitely helping. My recommendation is to avoid a lot of caffeine while on this drug or you will notice anxiety increases more so than when you’re not on celexa."

BBCC October 8, 2017

"I was prescribed this a few week's ago but had to stop taking it. I currently take Seroquel (Quetiapine) 100 mg, and was not sure why the Psychiatrist would prescribe the Celexa (Citalopram) as I had been informed by a pharmacist that combining Seroquel and Celexa is dangerous and could possibly cause heart problems. There is a MAJOR drug interaction between those two meds, as that would explain why my chest was hurting and my depression actually got way worse, I also didn't have an appetite at ALL while on the Celexa so I had to just stop taking it. Horrible drug."

Jennifer0121 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

"Living with a depressed husband and my parents passing within 16 months of each other threw me into two years of depression. When I finally sought help, my doctor put me on generic Celexa. Within a month, I felt a lot better; however, I was nauseous and woke up at 3am for the first 3 months. I'm glad I stuck it out because after that, I was fine for about 2 years when it stopped working. Over the past 3 years I have tried 3 other anti depressants but nothing has worked or they increased my blood pressure so my doctor suggested trying Celexa again. I'm hoping I won't have the side effects this time but feel they are worth it for two years of normal living."

Lee In Pinetop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2017

"I took celexa many years ago and when I stopped taking it I developed brain zaps a common side effect of withdrawal. After one month of quitting celexa I started hearing voices telling me to harm others. It got so bad that I started attacking people with a knife. I was arrested by the police. During trial I was found not criminally responsible (NCR). I was suffering from psychosis. I was sent to a secure hospital. I spent a year in there I saw the review board and they said I was a significant threat to the safety of the public because I told my doctor I felt like killing more people. "

Matthew GGG August 29, 2017

"Made me feel like a zombie, sexual side effects, no interest in doing anything. I would never take this drug again."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

"Experienced depressive symptoms lightly for years. Then over the past year when exposed to many life stressors because signficant in impairing my quality of life. Celexa has greatly improved my quality of life and most days I feel little to no depressive thoughts. I have been taking Celexa for 6 weeks. It also got rid of my anxiety (70-80% of it) and has improved my OCD symptoms a great deal. I started on 5 mg upping to 10mg"

MxMxM July 6, 2017

"I remember a half a year ago reading these reviews and I was very eager to not feeling worthless anymore. The first month was bleh. Had bad diarrhea but slept great for once. But over time feelings of worthlessness and being overly fearful faded away. I started to slowly be able to get out of bed in the night (third shift) and be excited to go to work and engage people. Sadly, over time the anxiety seemed to have gotten worse. My sleeping also went back to its normal habits. They upped it to 40mg to no avail. Now I'm off cold turkey and the depression is hitting harder than it has ever. Wish I could get back on it. It was a literal life saver."

Great for depression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2017

"not sure if it did anything"

katzy June 30, 2017

"I started out on 10mg of Celexa, nothing happened. When I got to 20mg, I started feeling sick (I felt like I was going to vomit all the time) and irritated. Once I got to 40mg, I began to feel impulsive and wired. I could barely sleep and I was doing risky things; even my friends said I wasn't myself! I got put on Neurontin after this, I'm glad I switched."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017