User Reviews for Celexa

Celexa Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I took Celexa for about a year. It did work on anxiety however I ended up tapering off and stopping completely because I was noticing that I was having these memory issues. I would be in the middle of a sentence or thought and everything would just drop - I would have to stop, regroup my thoughts and try to remember what I wanted to say and could not. This was not only scary to me but I was becoming very embarrassed and conscious of this weird memory side effect . The second issue was sleep. My sleep would be almost robotic if that makes sense. I would wake each morning at a certain time and be unable to go back to sleep. It felt like I had not deeply slept during the night and I could feel it upon waking - not necessarily sleepy but rev'd up and unable to sleep in/sleep any further."

didi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2018

"I took Celexa 6 years ago and took it for a year or two and got off it. I started taking it after withdrawal and severe anxiety. I do not remember the side effects being so severe. Now I am super lethargic, feel some depression (I haven't felt depressed for a while before taking the meds). So I'm not sure where I stand right now. Want to keep taking it but if these side effects keep going I will be forced to quit."

Nikku (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

"Helped my stress level post partun. Took while breastfeeding. Baby was fine."

Rsl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2018

"I have been taking celexa 20mg for 6 1/2 months. I am currently tapering off this medication from 20mg to 10mg for 3 weeks, then 5mg for 3weeks. I am currently on my second week of 5mg, one week left. The withdrawal symptoms are horrible and can intensify the feeling of depression and anxiety. I informed my doctor and he stated the withdrawal symptoms will diminish on their own after a few weeks. I decide to increase my exercise, increase my water intake, eating healthy, sleep. I continue with progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercise, meditation and talking with my therapist. I RECOMMEND IT, to anyone dealing with anxiety/depression. When you first start taking this medication it takes about six week and the side effects are horrible, when you are tapering off the withdrawal symptoms are horriblet. This is my 3rd review of this medication. 1st was 12/26/2017 under anxiety/stress. 2rd 3/22/2018 under depression. Look for feel relief. I hope this review helps someone."

feel Relief May 9, 2018

"I started on the generic brand around Christmas time of 2017, as Christmas is a time of socialization and stress! I have a lot of social anxiety and depression. So bad that it put my relationship on the line. I figured it was time to visit my (fantastic) doctor! I was put on 10mg a day for 6 weeks and did not see much of a difference. I was then bumped up to 20mg a day and I am a new person! My mood is improved, I can start a conversation with a stranger, and my anxiety is gone! The side effects I have are minimal compared to the pro's of the medication. I have increased sweating, which mainly contains itself to my fingertips, so it's not bad! My brain is a little foggy all the time, and I have decreased sex drive. Not too bad for the cons of Citalopram! I highly recommend this life changing medication!"

NovB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

"This medication helped with my anxiety and rolling panic attacks. At the time I tried to stay on the medication and was monitored by a psychiatrist weekly. It helped my panic attacks stay at a 2/10 severity. It also helped me sleep; but then I was sleeping 16h a day. I started having auditory hallucinations and immediately went to visit my psychiatrist. She said it was normal, and not to be worried. Well I stayed on it for a total of 5-6 weeks and ended up suicidal. As soon as I was admitted to the psychiatric unit and taken off this drug the hallucinations stopped. Would never every in a million years recommend this to anyone unless you are monitored very closely."

Krystina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"I take Celexa for stress, anxiety and depression...it's amazing. I feel normal, functional and my thoughts are not erratic or chaotic. It has made dealing with stress extremely easy and depressive thoughts are gone."

Tansi81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2018

"After 16 years of a great marriage (I thought and all our family and friends did) 3 kids. My wife decided to separate? We have NO FAMILY or true friends in the state we live in. So off guard and practically felt homeless. After so many months of trying to "man up ." I told myself "You need help!" I was not in a good place, but covered it and still covering it up well. Just started Celexa only a couple days now. Really looking forward to getting back to myself. Will give my update as time goes. Thanks for everyone's experience!"

CLG SR February 19, 2018

"The only thing worse than my experience on Celexa was my experience getting off it. I had brain zaps every morning for 8 months, zaps that would only go away if I went back to sleep and essentially gave in to "oversleeping." Its now 1 year later and I still feel the withdrawal side effects. Taking this medication is one of the worst mistakes of my life."

Kevin12 February 4, 2018

"I don't typically review medicines but I feel compelled to after taking one 10mg dose of celexa. I've had mild anxiety on and off most of my life. Due to some events in my life approx 2 years ago (anxiety) has gotten worse. I still tried to deal with it naturally, finally I broke down in Dec and got a script from my Dr for 10mg celexa. I held off taking it until 2 nights ago. I NEVER will take celexa again. I had loose stools almost 1 hour after taking it. The next 30 hours were hard, I could not sleep I had a racing heart and then I had a panic attack at work. Fortunately it has worked it's way thru my system and feel "normal" again. It may work for some but this is not for me. To be fair maybe I'm just not a good candidate for an SSRI med."

Master2018 January 24, 2018

"Helped me for about 6-7 years. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone new. Felt like a complete zombie, tired all the time, couldn’t remember much, couldn’t really focus on much, and complete loss of sex drive. (I’m a 21 year old male, so having to explain to some girls why I couldn’t do it was pretty embarrassing). Works good for the anxiety part but in my opinion I’d try something else first. Also, Celexa recently stopped working and tapering off is quite difficult. (Brain zaps, twitches, etc...)."

Craigslong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2018

"I never leave feedback..but this was the most horrible feeling I have ever felt in my life. I couldn't sleep from 1 dose. Was wide awake for 3 days straight. Had a ton of energy, but it made me feel crazy. Upset stomach, nausea, headache, jitters, jaw clinching the entire time and the list keeps going. Then when the medicine was coming out of my system I couldn't stop crying. It's horrible...For me anyways. I'm kinda scared to try another antidepressant. Are they all like this?"

Djcain (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018

"Citalopram works! After a few days, some results. After a month, big positive results. Finally an antidepressant that does not give me bad side effects. I wanted to go up past 20mg but my psychiatrist said more is not necessarily better. I believe her because I feel mostly better. I almost was thinking of being hospitalized but now things are less stressful and depressing and I am managing."

Ausyank (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

"I've been taking the generic version, citalopram, for almost 10 years. I now take 10 mg. I was on 20 mg to start. The difference to not taking it is that people like me when I'm on it. I'm naturally introverted and skiddish around people. I have to interact with the public on my job. I can hold myself together better, and can even find joy talking to people--something that was foreign to me prior to taking citalopram. Side effects for me include insomnia, loss of sex drive, blocked thinking (just sort of blank inside,) excessive smiling (as in, I can't stop even if something horrible happened that day and I don't want to smile. Feels like someone hijacked my face.) Despite that, I wish I found this drug much earlier in my life."

Natty97 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 2, 2018

"I am on 20mg of celexa, for work stress and anxiety. First 4 weeks was hard, but after that it get easier. I am on week 6. I still have loss of appetite, but I sleep well. I recommend celexa to anyone dealing with anxiety and stress. Make sure that you exercise, drink plenty of water and eat a well balance meal everyday."

feel Relief December 26, 2017

"Update on Celexa (you will see my 2 and a half week review about 10 comments down or so) It is now month 5 on 20mg of Celexa, and it has now become a routine and every day is better and better. The longest side effect that I dealt with is the constant feeling of being hot, both during sleep and throughout the day (compared to my girlfriend anyways). Other than that, my personality has come back exactly to how it was before. I have almost lost all feelings of general anxiety and actually I feel as if I am doing better than I was before this bout of anxiety. I hope everyone who is on it now and struggling tries to see it through the first month or so, because it was completely worth it! Good luck to everyone who struggled like I did."

JoeTurner (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2017

"I take the genetic version, Citlopram, 20 mgs once a day and I FINALLY have relief from really bad anxiety and panic attacks! I used Buspar before I started Celexa and I hated it. I wasn't suffering from depression so I didn't understand why my doctor wanted to push an anti depressant on me when there are other things out there for anxiety. She put me on the Buspar and it made me feel awful and just crazy. I gave in and started the Celexa and sure enough my doc was right; it's worked wonders! I sleep better, hardly any anxiety at all, NO panic attacks and I feel myself always smiling and having such a great outlook on life. I just feel... Normal and happy. :)"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"Celexa is my miracle drug! I'm on the generic Citalopram. It is the only thing that has worked for my severe anxiety due to adjustment disorder. I was previously on Prozac which only made the anxiety worse but Celexa calms me and makes me easier to be around. My moods are much more balanced and I have a joyful outlook on life. I'm on 20mg and I am so thankful for Celexa!"

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

"Don't let my rating scared you away from trying Celexa. It worked WONDERS for my anxiety! I could sleep again and go places and do things I couldn't have done without anxiety or panic attacks in over 2 years. Very little side effects and felt the affects immediately. However, 6 months in and I developed horrible stomach pains, swelling, acidity, etc. I've also developed horrible headaches. Stopped it a week and a half ago and all symptoms have vanished. Dr. said it was the Celexa and not a stomach bug that we had thought so we're switching it up. I hate that this happened since it really was a blessing and a relief to my life! Good luck!"

Socks245 November 10, 2017

"Sure just take a pill and your life is going to be good. I went to the doctor for sleep and said I was stressed, so they give me an antidepressant. People don't realize this stuff changes your brain and is bad for you. You just need exercise and good nutrition and it will change your life (I think). I'm only going to try it for two weeks just to feel what people are saying they feel. The doctor should have given me xanax or something simaliar. I've seen some antidepressants do some bad nasty things to people. Not to mention these side effects they cause."

christru22 September 29, 2017

"Works great for my general anxiety. I felt like I was trapped in my own body. Couldn't breathe regular, fidgety, brain racing nonstop, chest pain, couldn't sleep, had to run up and down stairs to relax. After 2 months I started to feel a difference. Takes the edge off is all. Doesn't change my mood, doesn't make me sleepy. Only side effect I have is sometimes an hour or so after taking stomach is a little upset....minor tradeoff for being anxiety free. Changed my life. If you are living under a constant cloud of anxiety, please consider this medication. It takes a while to really start working, but for me it has been a saviour."

AnxietyFree September 28, 2017

"Worst experience of my life on this drug. Extreme insomnia, even taking an Ambien would not get me to sleep. If I did get a little sleep it was not restful, felt awake. Could not remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Short term memory gone. Could not eat, I would try but could barely swallow and food would fall out of my mouth, especially carbs like bread. Major muscle twitching, extreme sweating especially in inappropriate places like my groin so then I had even more anxiety feeling like I looked like I wet my pants. Headaches. This happened on a low dose taking it 3-4 weeks. Once stopping Celexa It took me 3-4 months to feel normal again, however I also feel this drug did some permanent damage to my brain."

Not ever again September 27, 2017

"TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

"Vivid dreams/nightmares alternating with insomnia. Jaw clenching, teeth grinding at night. IBS like symptoms. Short term memory loss was the most disturbing. I would be right in the middle of a sentence and everything would drop, I would stop and have to try to remember what I was talking about or what I had wanted to say which was both embarrassing and upsetting. By the year end on this medication, the side effects completely overtook the benefits of this medication and I stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

"Okay I have been on celexa for about a week now. I'm currently working 6 days a week 9-10 hour shifts so I'm exhausted as it is. And I feel like I can't sleep and for the past two days I haven't been wanting to eat at all. Is this normal for this medicine. I'm on 20mg once a day?"

Aubie25 August 20, 2017