User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"My doctor prescribed this for my Menopausal mood swings and headaches. It worked for a while and then I started having profuse sweating, not that I needed any help in that department due to my hot flashes! I would be soaked at work and if I just did the smallest chore at home. I weaned off and am now trying Effexor."

JustANurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

"I have been on this medication for a week, after switching from Zoloft. My doctor started me on 20mg. I made the mistake of immediately going online to read reviews. Instead, my advice is to let the medication start to take effect. You will make yourself feel worse if you read the negative reviews. I can say that one week on this medication has turned out better than my previous medication. Everyone is different, so I think I found the one that works. Initially, you may have some insomnia, but it will pass once you start to feel more relaxed. I did have some tingly feelings in the hands, but that passed after day 4. I felt a head rush of sorts the first 5-6 days, where I felt high, but it too passed for me."

StressedMommy July 21, 2016

"I was just prescribed this yesterday. I'm starting at 20mg. After my first dose, I already feel better. I had a peaceful calm feeling. I've tried every ssri except for paxil and i think I've found the one. I switched from luvox. It was ok but felt like something else would be better. Especially because of luvox side effects. The other plus to celexa is I'm not hungry. I've gained 30lbs previously from zoloft. I've lost some since stopping. I'm hoping celexa continues to help with weight loss. I've got a good feeling about this."

Lalm July 15, 2016

"I have been on Celexa for years, just some advice for people who take this medication. If your feeling sick drink a glass of milk and cut down on your water in take, your just flushing it out your system. 20 year plus anxiety suffer,"

road ready July 12, 2016

"Im 16 years old, before i started taking celexa i was experiencing panick attacks about everynight. I didnt know what was going on with me at all. I was so scared all the time i thought i was going to die, have a stroke, have a heart attack, etc. but of course that was from the panick attacks but i didnt know better it's very hard living with anxiety at 16 years of age, but both my mother and my father have it. anyways i went to see my doctor, told him what i was experiencing and he knew right away just from the way i was explaining it and the way i was reacting. First he put me on 20mg of it the first couple weeks i noticed a big difference but was still anxious! Now im on 40mg and i feel great not 100% but way better! 6-7 weeks on it!!"

DylanBra4716 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

"I rarely post online reviews, but I recognize that most people only post reviews when they don't like something, so I wanted to sort of offset that here. I'm in my mid-twenties and female. I've suffered with severe anxiety and depression for several years due to trauma. Enter Celexa. To be fair, I went to therapy for several months before deciding to go on medication (and was feeling a bit better), but I still experienced severe anxiety that the therapy wasn't helping. I started feeling better after the first week on Celexa, and things have only improved from there. I've been taking it for around three months and my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. I've had no sexual side effects whatsoever, no weight gain, no issues."

QuietWaffle (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

"So far so good. I m only four days into taking it. I take it at lunchtime everyday, and notice I get a bit drowsy and yawn like crazy for a couple of hours after I take it. HOWEVER, my anxiety is already feeling better so this side effect is nothing in comparison! My anxiety was becoming debilitating, just so much stress... lost my mom to cancer, my cat passed away, going through a possible separation, just horribly stressful situations now. I have a lot of support from my family and friends and feel like this is first step in getting back in check."

Hadleyogram June 24, 2016

"I was diagnosed with panic disorder over a year ago and basically was a wreck. I couldn't drive, leave the house, even talk on the phone. I sought out a psychiatrist who put me on Paxil...it helped me get my life back, but, it also made me restless, zombified, and I gained 30 pounds (I'm normally quite thin)..I moved and got a different doctor who put me on Celexa 20 mg because she claimed it had less side effects and my weight would go back to normal. Boy, was she right. It was a rough week of med transition, but I can sleep again normal, I feel more alert and less groggy during the day, still can orgasm, and I'm slowly going down on my weight. I love this medication."

Boneflowers (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"I was prescribed 20mg but found that I felt stupid and slow and I had some sexual side effects.. not all bad either..I could go foreverrr. I went down to 10 mg and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. Has been a life changer tho, I felt as tho my brain was ADHD and this let's me form clearer trains of thought, reduces my social anxiety and helps my depression. Sexual side effects seem to have gone away also. The one complaint is that each new script seems to be slightly different (good luck not getting generics) and it takes a few days to adjust. 90 day scripts with half a pill means 180 days between bottles so not a huge deal but certainly worth mentioning."

No not gonna tell ya who i am June 21, 2016

"this worked in beginning-then gave me insomnia, restless leg syndrome, shakes and more angry. It could no longer take it ,I had to get off."

lisamariemarie May 10, 2016

"It's very good, I'm on 10mg now. I used to take it couple of years ago, and felt much better, so after 2 years I stopped taking it. Now again I felt very anxious, and after one week on citalopram it's much easier for me to socialize. No more need for hydroxizine or valium. The only one side effect is I can not "finish" if you know what I mean;)"

Scared1957 May 3, 2016

"I have extremely bad anxiety and it makes me panic daily and depression, Before this drug i have tried so many other ones that did nothing at all! I was giving up hope on finding something that would work for me until my doctor prescribed me this. I started out low at first but im now on 20mg and even when i started low it did wonders, I use to not be able to talk about it without panicking but within a week after taking it i could actually talk about it and think straight. Thinking back before i was on it to where im at now its like a who new world, I defenitely recommend this."

sarah0927712497 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

"Started 10 mg Citalopram 8 days ago and although they said it would take 2 weeks to really work I started to feel better the first day! Minor nausea the first couple times I took it but it went away quick. This stuff has changed my life. Helped me quit smoking. It's so strange being able to walk around and interact in public without anxiety. Improved my sleep overall however you will probably want to make sure you are active during the day because it takes a little more time to fall asleep. Wonderful Medication, wish I started it much sooner."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"To deal with menopausal symptoms: stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia, I tried paxil and prozac. Not a good result: both very heavy duty - you FEEL drugged. With prozac I was drooling and I didn't even know it; with paxil, I felt dull-witted and thick, like a beached whale. But the 3rd time was a charm: I tried Celexa and it worked almost immediately. I felt calmer, not depressed and I slept like a baby. For me it's the best. the only side effect is one 1/2 hour after taking it I feel nauseous for a few minutes. small price to pay."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Weight loss, insomnia, nausea, loss of appetite. EXTREMELY irritable. Sweaty palms. NO THANK YOU."

Anonymous April 21, 2016

"It has saved my sanity and kept me at peace at first I was sick and had a mild headache now I'm eating way too much. I'm terrified if I stop taking this I'm thankful for celexa,"

Julie2467 April 10, 2016

"Trust and believe that celexa WAS a godsend for me, 50"

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"Awful. Didn't help and made me feel so apathetic. My school performance significantly decresed. I tried weaning off from taking 20 mg, then 10mg daily, then 10mg every other day, then 5mg every other day and had the worst withdrawl symptoms ever. Increased anxiety and depression. I was crying all the time and sometime felt manic. I had more pain and also had a fever of +102.8 for three days. Would not recomend"

anxietyridden1280437 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

"I have been on celexa for two days now and have had almost no side effects what so ever . I was super hesitant about taking it as both the reviews I read and the doctor who gave it to me told me it would cause bad anxiety for the first week. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my first 20mg dose, as it helped my anxiety almost immediately . I have a bit of nausea and fatigue , along with a bit of dizziness but nothing serious . This is the first time I have gone a day without anxiety in three years, and I know it's not a placebo effect since I initially believed the medication would do the opposite . My sister suffers from depression and after seeing my reaction to the medication is considering seeing a doctor to try it out ."

Mamabearie March 21, 2016

"Started on prozac 20mg but went off because of low libido. Doctor had me try Celexa 20mg & it was the worst month of my life. So many side effects! Not only did my libido get worse, but I had frequent urination, depression worsened, sleeping pattern messed up, fatigue, always sweating, and it made my period disappear for 3 months & I wasn't pregnant! After a month I went back to Prozac, I couldn't deal with celexas horrible side effects anymore!"

Sunchild00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

"I have been on a few antidepressants Prozac, Zoloft. Celexa has turned out to be the best as far as side effects. I've been on it 8 years. Just a precaution after a while it will feel like it doesn't do much, I started to skip forget and found myself in a emotional, irritable, angry, sad mood. I'm back on it makes a huge difference."

KING1999 March 9, 2016

"I have been on Celexa for almost 2 years & has completely changed my life for the better. I take 40mg once a day. I suffer from severe anxiety, & mild depression. Celexa is my happy pill. My savior. It's the best pill I have ever been on. I am anxiety & depression free all from Celexa. Never once had one side effect. I am full of energy all the time and am happy beyond happy. It took about a good 2 months for the medication to start doing its job. WELL WORTH THE WAIT. I thank my doctor all the time for introducing me to the wonder drug CELEXA. Give it some time to kick in & you'll thank me later. Lol good luck to all."

Anonymous March 5, 2016

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on 10 mg for five days. First day I had the shakes n cold n hot , second day I was lil better the shakes stop but didn't eat much , third day I ate two meals n moved around n threw up that night , fourth day I ate like no other but had diarrhea , fifth day lil out of it , yawning a lot yes , sometimes it hard to sleep then others , heart rate lil high at times too but I'm I hope I'll be OK I'm only 5 foot n weighs 109 pounds I dont do well with meds."

Lilshorty88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

"Really have to give it time! I was stuck in a constant state of anxiety and this plus the combination of klonopin has really given my life back. I strongly encourage help if you need it, anxiety is very real and very scary but there is help available! I am unique that I take 30mg daily but it seems like the right dose for me. To really see effects of this medication you must find the correct dose and give anywhere from 4-8 weeks for full effects. There is hope for anyone out there."

kly78 February 24, 2016

"I used Celexa and it was rough. I then went and looked at all the side effects and realized that THE ANXIETY IT WAS TREATING WAS ALSO A SIDE EFFECT. I then in a last ditch effort went to a chiropractor and he changed my life. He explained HOW CHIROPRACTIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NECK AND BACK PAIN. He explained that stress is necessary to live and is a good thing! Our issue with stress is that our body isn't adapting properly to the stress. Chiropractors help our nervous system flow properly so we don't need drugs by removing subluxations. (A subluxation is an interference in the brain body connection) If there is something you could do so you wouldn't have to deal with stress, would you? See a subluxation based chiropractor!"

ImBlue February 17, 2016