User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Vivid dreams/nightmares alternating with insomnia. Jaw clenching, teeth grinding at night. IBS like symptoms. Short term memory loss was the most disturbing. I would be right in the middle of a sentence and everything would drop, I would stop and have to try to remember what I was talking about or what I had wanted to say which was both embarrassing and upsetting. By the year end on this medication, the side effects completely overtook the benefits of this medication and I stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay I have been on celexa for about a week now. I'm currently working 6 days a week 9-10 hour shifts so I'm exhausted as it is. And I feel like I can't sleep and for the past two days I haven't been wanting to eat at all. Is this normal for this medicine. I'm on 20mg once a day?"

Aubie25 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from extreme panic attacks, lack of concentration, constant worry, and restlessness which led to a stint of sleep deprivation. I am currently 2 and a half weeks in and have gone through the gamut of side effects: increased anxiety, night sweats, tiredness and loss of sexual desire. But I can gladly say that these side effects are already seemingly disappearing and I CAN FOCUS AGAIN!!! It's amazing, my sense of humor isn't back yet as I am generally sarcastic which I am struggling hard with right now, but ultimately I can feel the drug working. My girlfriend doesn't think I'm completely insane (which is nice) and I feel like I am on the better side of the Celexa now."

JoeTurner August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mom was put on 10 mg. Then Dr. increased to 20 mg and her husband passed away and Dr. increased to 40 mg. She kept falling, blacking out, dizzy spells. I kept asking Dr. if it could be any of her medications and they said no. Then she started having signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's. On her first diagnosis she was diagnosed with advanced alz. We saw no signs or family history of Alz. You see that coming 4-5 years out. After fighting this for 4 months after diagnosis, I decided the only thing that was changed was adding Celexa, so I weened her off Celexa and in 3 weeks w had our Mom back from Alz, state that she was in."

Bet123 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this."

Thankfulforthis (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Completely changed my life. I was having severe anxiety accompanied with frequent panic attacks and was feeling hopeless about improvement. First two weeks on Celexa were terrible, but I can't necessary attribute all symptoms as side effects because my anxiety was so bad it could have been that. I was waking up with night terrors, had extreme fatigue, dizziness, and dissociation. But then at some point I forgot about my anxiety and was living a normal life again. I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg before coming back down to 10 mg due to improvement. After about 6 months I weaned off the drug completely and have only mild anxiety relapses currently."

BillBaggs99 July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Honestly doesn't do much for me. Still has big panic attacks. Still has bad anxiety."

Eiko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went thru a very difficult time being hurt at work,.I could have easily been killed. The company making moves to fire me cuz I costs them $ for my 'free medical ". Accident was another employee's negligence. Long story. Plus legal. etc etc With celexa, my anxiety , stress, depression levels became under control. I was able to return back to a resemblance of a human being Was at 40mg to start. Weaned down to 30mg. Then when legal became intense, 40mg. No good settlements in these cases but my sanity is returning. And coping better. Highly recommend. Side effect was being tired until my body adjusted. At least got covered by Workers Comp insurance. In Ca, that's a miracle because for injured parties, you're fortunate that insurance pays ."

jmcom111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this after increased anxiety/panic/depersonalization/derealization after starting a birth control pill (BeYaz).. Celexa has helped my symptoms but I stopped taking my birth control and it has made a WORLD of a difference in my mood. My anxiety and panic are almost gone.. I've only been on Celexa for 1 month.. and I stopped my birth control 2-3 weeks ago.. Please check into your birth control. I've NEVER had depression in my life but after starting the birth control I had CONSTANT crying spells, anxiety, panic, etc. Celexa is helping but I think this was all caused by the birth control. Please be careful!!"

linds00000000000000000000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please try!!!!! I was like you reading these reviews scared to death to start taking this drug. I am so glad I did. The first 2 weeks I felt Iike I was pregnant. Nauseous and sleepy. After that I just gradually started feeling better. Anxiety has gone and life is on the up and up. I should have taken this 20 years ago. All the worries sort of just fade away. Good luck and please give it a shot!"

Mag pie June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never review anything, but this I had to review!! This stuff has basically given me my life back! Before I started taking this I had severe depression issues, high anxiety and stress, and a touch of PTSD. Since taking this stuff all of that has faded especially anxiety and stress. This stuff is a blessing! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Took it about two weeks or so to kick in, but once it did my god it was incredible!! I still get depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any!! They must be very rare. Would recommend this to anyone! I am a riverboat pilot, so if any offshore or towboat pilots are looking into trying this---it IS a coast guard approved med. "

Beacon Beckman! May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on generic celexa for about two weeks now. I was searching for something to help me with deteriorating anxiety. I had no idea it would also make me less irrational, and nicer. I don't get upset over everything now. I feel confident and myself again. Lots of side effects though. Currently have a hollow feeling at all times, very spaced out, memory loss, cannot orgasm, insomnia, unable to tell when I am hungry, and since I have upped my dose to 20mg I also clench my jaw often. For me the good out weighs the bad though. I am just happy to not be feeling so manic nonstop"

Air321 May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although the induction period is rough and can last multiple weeks this medication works well for me. I've been on mylan citalopram for 3 months and just switched to name brand with no noticeable difference. I am more easy going, positive, sociable and have a sense of well being that was lacking and as a result debilitating me before this medication. So far so good, I am also on Wellbutrin which I only started 2 weeks ago after abilify triggered me in negative ways. I get through my incredibly physical days of construction and renovation with emotional ease."

Radia75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sucked. Didn't do anything for me."

hereticanthem May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Other than feeling sedated and lower than normal blood pressure/heart rate for a while, it affects my memory, vision (one pupil dialated and the other one was smaller)..shakes like it's making anxiety worse. I don't like it."

fortuna1 April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Citalopram has been a life saver for me. I've gone on and off of it over the past 5-6 years, but I've currently been on it for a year straight and it's seriously helped me so much. I have awful, debilitating anxiety. Citalopram has really helped. I still have anxiety, but it is so much more manageable and I'm able to get through the anxiety attacks so much easier and faster than when I'm not on the medication. The only issue is that it has caused severe TMJ for me. It causes me to grind and clench my teeth really bad. I'd honestly rather have TMJ than crippling anxiety, though. I've been on 20 mg for the past year, but was on 40 mg 5 years ago."

CarolynW662255555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on Celexa after three years of getting more and more depressed and my anxiety beginning to make it difficult to be at social events or function from day to day. I gave in to Celexa after hitting a low that I cannot explain. I couldn't get out of bed and I determined my life was worthless. I started on 10mg. The first two weeks were bizarre. Headaches, nausea and diarrhea. The anxiety seemed worse. But after 3-4 weeks it's like an ugly cloud lifted and I feel like I have my life back. I upped it to 20mg and I'm staying at 20mg. I never worry about anything - which seems nuts. How can I not worry? I'm unemployed, single, no kids, (I'm 48) yet I feel like everything is okay, and I can move forward on achieving my goals."

Zigzag55 April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried this medication for anxiety held in there for 5 months at 20mg/day. I went into a full depression, was a zombie with no motivation to do anything at all. The exhaustion was terrible, sleeping 12hrs at night with needing naps during the day. I did notice I wasn't shaky when dealing with people but my view on the world was so bleak and I didn't want to do anything. I'd rather be shaky from my anxiety and have energy and want to be part of the world then what I went through on this medication. Just awful...within 5 days of weening myself off of it, I had my energy back, and felt positive again"

Ladybird6 March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on 5 mg Celexa about 7 months ago. Works great to take away most of my anxiety and irritability, still comes around sometime but on more normal means instead of every single day like I was miserable before I started on Celexa. Took a couple weeks to adjust to it and my orgasms are few and hard to achieve, but still possible, unlike other meds I've been on in the past. I love everything about Celexa, and would have given it a 10/10... however, I've gained 15 pounds since I started taking it. My diet and activity level has not changed so I'm assuming Celexa is to blame. This is now causing depression from the weight gain and the inability to keep it off... If you start Celexa, start exercising regularly to help maintain, wish I had..."

MoonlightX01 March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Citalopram calms my mind and body. Without it I am very aggressive and too active sexually. Without it I feel as if my testosterone levels were too high. My wife and I have notice that even my testicles are bigger without Citalopram and that there seems to be a higher blood flow to my penis; it was the experience of a constant state of arousal. Psychologically, without it, I experienced lots of anger, aggressivity, sexual energy, and just a general out of control level of mental energy. We have both concluded that somehow Citalopram reduces my testosterone levels. And, let me tell you, I'm happy about it. I rather feel calm and centered than aggressive, angry, and freaking horny all the time. So, Citalopram is vital in my life."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (comorbid to my ADHD) back in 2012, and had since been to CBT and was prescribed with multiple antidepressants for it since. However both these medications (Strattera & Zoloft) caused chronic fatigue that led me to stop the medication. Enter Celexa, prescribed end of 2016, I was at the time suffering from the regular hypochondria and other obsessions. I was apprehensive of the expected side effects but I am glad to report that to this day side effects are minimal. Yes, I have noticed a small difference in my working memory (decrease) and dreams (very vivid), but I believe the pros greatly outweigh the cons! Celexa has helped me feel normal again and empowered me, and would recommend 100%"

AlexAloe February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I thought they were rubbish"

jgjknewjgbjwhgbewrhjt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About 7 years ago I started having really bad anxiety while in college, it got to the point where I had to drop out and move back home. I was outgoing, social, confident, and then all of a sudden BOOM! I couldn't function at all and was convinced I was losing my mind. After trying the natural route for about 6 months I decided I needed a little extra help and that's when I decided to try an antidepressant. It took about 2 or 3 months for me to notice a difference but it was well worth the wait! I was back to my old self again and it felt awesome! Unfortunatly, I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and my anxiety has recently come back so now I am trying it again and am hoping it works as well as it did before."

Worked Great (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update from my post a few weeks ago: I have been on Celexa now for about a month and have increased my dosage of Celexa to 20 mg. I feel like I can concur the world again! The night sweats have passed and I am calm and collected now. My thoughts are not focused around worry anymore and I can rationalize every day challenges again. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017