User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

"I had severe anxiety when driving and just in general for the past 8 years. I would get so nervous while driving I would shake and my heart felt like it was going to explode, I would get really dizzy. I mostly stayed home and it turned into depression. I had taken Celexa before as a teenager when dealing with anxiety, at that time it worked well for me but I got pregnant and stopped taking it since, that was 8 years ago. My doctor prescribed me to Celexa again and after about a month I started noticing that I was feeling so much better. I could drive without much anxiety at all. I wasn't shaking or feeling I was on the verge of an attack. I never realized how much anxiety was taking over my life. The only side effect is pretty bad dry mouth"

BenTen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

"I suffered with anxiety my entire life, and I graduate school it became dehabilitating. I would have panic attacks randomly and my heart was always racing. My GP put me on 10 mg of Celexa, and after about a week I was feeling much better. I have been on it for about 2 months now and feel like an entirely new person! The only negative side effects I have experienced were a bit of drowsiness when I first started (my body has adjusted), and frequent, very vivid dreams."

Ronda3556 January 2, 2017

"Celexa does get rid of anxiety, however, it also destroys the rest of your life. The should call it the boner killer, because you will never get an erection as long as you take celexa. And its tough to call yourself a man if your junk isn't working. That leads to depression. So right now I am in a tough spot. Go back to anxiety, or stay depressed? I don't feel like this throwing darts type treatment is good. Either something works or it doesn't. In my opinion, if the side effect are worse than the problem, drug doesn't work."

Rob1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

"I lived with anxiety/depression for years. Everyday felt like a struggle. I experienced a period of intense stress during grad school in my early 30's, and decided to seek help. If I only did this in my 20's I could have accomplished so much more. Celexa took away my anxiety and depression, but it took a couple months to work on 20mg. I felt like myself, I felt happy. I had no side effect, no weight gain, nothing. Since I felt so great I attempted to taper down and had bad withdrawal. I decided to stay on it. My 20mg stopped working after two years so I got up to 30mg...I think it "pooped out". I have bad depression now- sleeping all the time and anxious. I was switched to an SNRI, but celexa changed my life and I'm glad I tried it first."

Beachboxer (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

"I had severe anxiety and agoraphobia. Every time I would get in a car I would wonder if I was going to die that day. These symptoms all started when I had children. I started to wonder what would happen to my children if something happened to me. And I thought about how attached they are to me and how it would break their hearts. So I told my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa. I've been on it for about 2 months now and the quality of my life has changed so drastically. I'm not always thinking about dying. I'm able to go out in crowds and not be worried. Yesterday I was dealing with something stressful and I was stressed about it, but I stayed calm and I moved on. It didn't consume me like stressful events used to do."

JLK87 December 13, 2016

"I was on 20mg for about 9 months for severe panic disorder. I was having 2-3 panic attacks per day. Once I was on the med for two weeks I was so much better. Unfortunately about 9 months in the panic attacks came back worse than before. Only side effects were mild nausea and sore leg muscles during the first few days."

J1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

"2nd time on Celexa. First was in 2011. I weaned myself of. Started 20mg daily this year due to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. No I'll side effects. It's a blessing to me."

GeckoBrak November 27, 2016

"My doctor started me off with 10mg then two weeks after I went up to 20mg. I feel great and my depression is gone. However, ive been on it for a month and a half and find that I can't sleep. Before celexa I was sleeping too much and now I cant sleep unless I recreationally take xanax. Now my anxiety is high because I can't sleep and when I do sleep it's because of xanax which makes me sleep for 12 hours and then I wake up late and I'm unmotivated to do anything. Should I see my doctor for this? I love xanax cause it makes me feel better for my anxiety a night but I'm scared I'll start abusing it especially since I don't have a prescription."

Becca136 November 27, 2016

"So for months I have been having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I finally went to the doctor because it has made my life a living hell on a day to day basis and depression has started to creep in from being so stressed out over having the anxiety itself. I was prescribed citalopram 20mg but after reading reviews I let it sit on my counter for 2 weeks for fear of taking it and making my anxiety even worse. Yesterday I finally said screw it and took 1/4 of a pill (5mg) to start. I was at the point where I'm just sick of having anxiety every day and nothing, not even the side effects could be worse. I didn't have any weird reactions. I did get really sleepy about 2 hours after taking it but it was late evening so I didn't mind."

serendipity83 November 16, 2016

"I recently started celexa, my doctor told me to start with 10mg for a week than go up to 20mg. I noticed a difference with the very first pill, I felt more anxiety and severe nausea. I kept taking the pills and it got worse with every dose. I couldn't leave my house or bed, it made everything worse. My doctor said to keep taking them so I did. 6 days later I couldn't take it anymore so I stopped and the withdrawal side effects are just as bad, extreme nausea and excessive anxiety, it's been a terrible roller coaster ride. After not being on it for a week I'm finally starting to feel better."

Harrycat November 14, 2016

"I've never been on a daily medicine for anxiety and was previously managing via eastern medicine (acupuncture/chinese herbs). My anxiety never completely went away but those methods prevented full blown panic attacks most of the time. My attacks started to evolve in the last 6 months and I finally talked to my doctor about it. She prescribed Celexa 20mg per day, once a day. It's changed my life. I hadn't realize how withdrawn I'd become from the fear of anxiety and panic. I had some mild nausea in the first 2 weeks but nothing serious. She also prescribed Hydroxyzine for panic attacks which is an old school sedative in the anti-histamine family. I haven't had an attack since I started the Celexa but the Hydroxyzine is a great sleep aide."

BeeLoon October 13, 2016

"I took Celexa for a yr. It gave me energy an made me anxious . I gained 40 pds and it made me yawn alot. I went off of it."

Aderline gurl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

"I started taking celexa over a year ago for anxiety and stress. I had some mild side effects the first week, but it has been great since then. I started on 10mg and switched to 20mg after a month and have been at that prescription since. It probably took at least a month before I started noticing a difference. I take it at night and don't have any troubles sleeping or any other side effects. This medicine has completely changed my perspective. I'm much more calm and just happier all around. I used to be very high strung and easily stressed, but not anymore! Highly recommend!"

LoveCelexa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking the off brand for over 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel the anxiety reducing effects. No nausea or GI problems thus far. For the first 3 days I felt a little out of it around an hour and a half after taking it, so I started taking it at night and that has completely resolved the issue. Started on 10mg for around 9 days to get accustomed to it and have been on the 20 mg for 2 days now. My anxiety wasn't severe (diagnosed w mild anxiety-stress related) & no panic attacks. I think the type of anxiety/severity will influence the way the drug acts on you, but it's been good for me so far :)"

Anon0000099 September 6, 2016

"I started on 10mg after quitting drinking and starting AA and I had to increase my dose to 20. So I've been on 20 for a week and I was on 10 for about 3 weeks before. I feel great. My anxiety level is so low and manageable and so is my negative thinking and my anger towards everyone. I have the right perspectives just couldn't apply them before and now I find it easy to. I don't freak out, get mad, irritated and frustrated like I used to. Life is easier to handle but you still need tools. So far my sex drive is still there tho it might take a little more effort to orgasm but not bec I don't feel it as much but bec it's hard to reach a certain level fast enough. My cravings for alcohol and sweet foods is very low. I'm motivated."

EvaGurl (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Best. I started taking this and thought oh this isn't going to help me... It was maybe 2 months in and I didn't feel different. After about 4 months taking it I was a completely different person when it came to my anxiety and panic attacks. I completely stopped having them and I was just overall a more stress free person. By far one of my favorites.. I recommend this to anyone that has very bad anxiety and doesn't want to be on something addictive like benzodiazepines."

Suezi q August 29, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was originally on Buspar but for some reason the anxiety started to come back. So I went to my PCP and after talking options it was decided 10mg of Celexa would help. So this is the 17th day on Cit and things seem to be starting to even out.Had stomach issues on days 1-3 but went away. Sexual effects also popped up but after checking with the wife things still work on request, but just takes a bit longer.One thing that's certainly still there is the increased anxiety. It's not as bad as it was but still there.If you decide to go with this this really can make the anxiety worse.So between the 60mg of Buspar, the occasional Propranolol for the days the anxiety is super bad cuz of Celexa (which is getting better) I think this drug will work."

Thunder111 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"I started on Celexa 20mg for anxiety in hopes to stop my Xanax. 6 hours after my 2nd dose I felt VERY IRRITABLE my skin felt like it was burning, I was at work and in my bosses office and stripped of my clothes and I couldn't help it. I felt jittery and like I wasn't myself. I will never take this again"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

"I have had panic attacks and anxiety for many years. This year, I found out that I had colon cancer, got referred to a surgeon and had surgery within 2 weeks. I found that the panic attacks and anxiety, sometimes sadness and crying bouts started as I began to recover and process this experience. My doctor recommended Celexa over Cymbalta because she said that with women in particular, this was better for anxiety as opposed to depression. So far, I've found that the drug makes me sleepy and a little muddled in thinking right after I take it. I did have some nausea, but that went away quickly. I'm switching to taking it at night since I feel pretty good about 12 hours after taking it. It does relieve anxiety and am panic attacks."

Osepha August 13, 2016

"I was diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) I was previously on cipralex and felt like a zombie taking it. I didn't want to take it anymore so my doctor prescribed me celexa about a month ago. I have a bit of a hard time sleeping, tossing and turning but overall I do get my rest. I feel drowsy after the first few hours of taking it. Little bit irritable sometimes, short of patience. Over all I'm not overthinking at night anymore, not stressing nearly as much and actually have motivation to do the things I want to."

Jayme12345 August 8, 2016

"I took Celexa for 2 weeks and quit because the side effects are INSANE. I rolled for the first 3 days. I felt AMAZING... waves of euphoria, pretty dancing rainbows, everything sensory felt incredible BUT I had no emotion or empathy and only cared about feeling good and stopped caring about people in my life or work. Had no regard for consequences, yelled at people who "ruined my vibe", refused to help people at work. Day 3 I jumped from 6 cigarettes a day to a pack and a half because it felt so good to smoke. Treated my husband as a personal servant only there to make me feel good and yelled at him if I was slightly bothered. No anxiety at all, but turned me into a hedonistic jerk who cared about nothing but immediate sensory gratification."

CelexaWasLikeMDMAforMe (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

"First time ever trying any medication for anxiety which I have struggled with for years. I took Celexa for 6 days 10/mg once a day. Throughout taking it, I noticed that my feelings started to dull. Everything was very level and it was hard to be anxious - or excited, or happy, or really much of anything. I got sexual side effects starting on the 3rd day, which was the deal breaker for me. As much as I liked that it calmed my racing thoughts, the constant fog, feeling of not being myself/me, and the inability to orgasm made it no-go for me. Celexa WAS effective for my GAD / social anxiety, but the side effects were terrible."

sketchai (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"My doctor prescribed this for my Menopausal mood swings and headaches. It worked for a while and then I started having profuse sweating, not that I needed any help in that department due to my hot flashes! I would be soaked at work and if I just did the smallest chore at home. I weaned off and am now trying Effexor."

JustANurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

"I have been on this medication for a week, after switching from Zoloft. My doctor started me on 20mg. I made the mistake of immediately going online to read reviews. Instead, my advice is to let the medication start to take effect. You will make yourself feel worse if you read the negative reviews. I can say that one week on this medication has turned out better than my previous medication. Everyone is different, so I think I found the one that works. Initially, you may have some insomnia, but it will pass once you start to feel more relaxed. I did have some tingly feelings in the hands, but that passed after day 4. I felt a head rush of sorts the first 5-6 days, where I felt high, but it too passed for me."

StressedMommy July 21, 2016