User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I never review anything, but this I had to review!! This stuff has basically given me my life back! Before I started taking this I had severe depression issues, high anxiety and stress, and a touch of PTSD. Since taking this stuff all of that has faded especially anxiety and stress. This stuff is a blessing! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Took it about two weeks or so to kick in, but once it did my god it was incredible!! I still get depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any!! They must be very rare. Would recommend this to anyone! I am a riverboat pilot, so if any offshore or towboat pilots are looking into trying this---it IS a coast guard approved med. "

Beacon Beckman! May 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on generic celexa for about two weeks now. I was searching for something to help me with deteriorating anxiety. I had no idea it would also make me less irrational, and nicer. I don't get upset over everything now. I feel confident and myself again. Lots of side effects though. Currently have a hollow feeling at all times, very spaced out, memory loss, cannot orgasm, insomnia, unable to tell when I am hungry, and since I have upped my dose to 20mg I also clench my jaw often. For me the good out weighs the bad though. I am just happy to not be feeling so manic nonstop"

Air321 May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Although the induction period is rough and can last multiple weeks this medication works well for me. I've been on mylan citalopram for 3 months and just switched to name brand with no noticeable difference. I am more easy going, positive, sociable and have a sense of well being that was lacking and as a result debilitating me before this medication. So far so good, I am also on Wellbutrin which I only started 2 weeks ago after abilify triggered me in negative ways. I get through my incredibly physical days of construction and renovation with emotional ease."

Radia75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Sucked. Didn't do anything for me."

hereticanthem May 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Other than feeling sedated and lower than normal blood pressure/heart rate for a while, it affects my memory, vision (one pupil dialated and the other one was smaller)..shakes like it's making anxiety worse. I don't like it."

fortuna1 April 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Citalopram has been a life saver for me. I've gone on and off of it over the past 5-6 years, but I've currently been on it for a year straight and it's seriously helped me so much. I have awful, debilitating anxiety. Citalopram has really helped. I still have anxiety, but it is so much more manageable and I'm able to get through the anxiety attacks so much easier and faster than when I'm not on the medication. The only issue is that it has caused severe TMJ for me. It causes me to grind and clench my teeth really bad. I'd honestly rather have TMJ than crippling anxiety, though. I've been on 20 mg for the past year, but was on 40 mg 5 years ago."

CarolynW662255555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went on Celexa after three years of getting more and more depressed and my anxiety beginning to make it difficult to be at social events or function from day to day. I gave in to Celexa after hitting a low that I cannot explain. I couldn't get out of bed and I determined my life was worthless. I started on 10mg. The first two weeks were bizarre. Headaches, nausea and diarrhea. The anxiety seemed worse. But after 3-4 weeks it's like an ugly cloud lifted and I feel like I have my life back. I upped it to 20mg and I'm staying at 20mg. I never worry about anything - which seems nuts. How can I not worry? I'm unemployed, single, no kids, (I'm 48) yet I feel like everything is okay, and I can move forward on achieving my goals."

Zigzag55 April 13, 2017

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried this medication for anxiety held in there for 5 months at 20mg/day. I went into a full depression, was a zombie with no motivation to do anything at all. The exhaustion was terrible, sleeping 12hrs at night with needing naps during the day. I did notice I wasn't shaky when dealing with people but my view on the world was so bleak and I didn't want to do anything. I'd rather be shaky from my anxiety and have energy and want to be part of the world then what I went through on this medication. Just awful...within 5 days of weening myself off of it, I had my energy back, and felt positive again"

Ladybird6 March 22, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on 5 mg Celexa about 7 months ago. Works great to take away most of my anxiety and irritability, still comes around sometime but on more normal means instead of every single day like I was miserable before I started on Celexa. Took a couple weeks to adjust to it and my orgasms are few and hard to achieve, but still possible, unlike other meds I've been on in the past. I love everything about Celexa, and would have given it a 10/10... however, I've gained 15 pounds since I started taking it. My diet and activity level has not changed so I'm assuming Celexa is to blame. This is now causing depression from the weight gain and the inability to keep it off... If you start Celexa, start exercising regularly to help maintain, wish I had..."

MoonlightX01 March 5, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Citalopram calms my mind and body. Without it I am very aggressive and too active sexually. Without it I feel as if my testosterone levels were too high. My wife and I have notice that even my testicles are bigger without Citalopram and that there seems to be a higher blood flow to my penis; it was the experience of a constant state of arousal. Psychologically, without it, I experienced lots of anger, aggressivity, sexual energy, and just a general out of control level of mental energy. We have both concluded that somehow Citalopram reduces my testosterone levels. And, let me tell you, I'm happy about it. I rather feel calm and centered than aggressive, angry, and freaking horny all the time. So, Citalopram is vital in my life."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (comorbid to my ADHD) back in 2012, and had since been to CBT and was prescribed with multiple antidepressants for it since. However both these medications (Strattera & Zoloft) caused chronic fatigue that led me to stop the medication. Enter Celexa, prescribed end of 2016, I was at the time suffering from the regular hypochondria and other obsessions. I was apprehensive of the expected side effects but I am glad to report that to this day side effects are minimal. Yes, I have noticed a small difference in my working memory (decrease) and dreams (very vivid), but I believe the pros greatly outweigh the cons! Celexa has helped me feel normal again and empowered me, and would recommend 100%"

AlexAloe February 27, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I thought they were rubbish"

jgjknewjgbjwhgbewrhjt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"About 7 years ago I started having really bad anxiety while in college, it got to the point where I had to drop out and move back home. I was outgoing, social, confident, and then all of a sudden BOOM! I couldn't function at all and was convinced I was losing my mind. After trying the natural route for about 6 months I decided I needed a little extra help and that's when I decided to try an antidepressant. It took about 2 or 3 months for me to notice a difference but it was well worth the wait! I was back to my old self again and it felt awesome! Unfortunatly, I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and my anxiety has recently come back so now I am trying it again and am hoping it works as well as it did before."

Worked Great (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2017

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Update from my post a few weeks ago: I have been on Celexa now for about a month and have increased my dosage of Celexa to 20 mg. I feel like I can concur the world again! The night sweats have passed and I am calm and collected now. My thoughts are not focused around worry anymore and I can rationalize every day challenges again. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love Celexa. I have anxiety and it was really starting to effect my performance in college. I started Celexa (10mg) and the first 2 weeks were miserable! I was seriously depressed but after that two week adjustment phase it worked wonderfully! I could feel a tangible difference overnight! I love it but I would warn that the adjustment phase is brutal."

pacea February 14, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine seemed to be helping with my anxiety somewhat, but I had to stop taking it because it was making me extremely forgetful! I would forget simple things, like my daughter had to go to school, what I had for lunch, just things you shouldn't forget. I felt in a fog..was very strange. I'm currently looking for another medication to help with my anxiety and depression, so far no luck :("

AmberLP February 11, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Coming onto this medication at first I didn't notice anything in particular. I was on the train and I just noticed that my disoriented thoughts and feeling super nervous calmed quite a bit. I did notice I didn't talk as much as I did before I started the medication. It helpsx with my depersonalization. But at the same time it adds fuel to my underlying depression that I had in the past. At the same time I believe that's a good thing. Because it's helping me heal hidden broken parts of myself. It especially helps when talking to my therapist about my past. I hate how tired I am, as I am typing this I think I yawned at least 8 times. Delayed orgasms suck as well...but sometimes I take a day off from taking one pill so it's okay."

brittneywins (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"this made me very weak and made my panic attacks worse. I had almost all side effects including weight loss as I'm already a thin person so I binned it after a few days. I went to my doctor and suggested zoloft instead and it had NO side effects and that helped my panic attacks go."

Blade Runner (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My mother is 100 1/2 years old and has been living in a nursing home for the past 10 years. Last year she developed severe anxiety (not really depression), fearful of almost everything around her. Totally irrational. At the request of the family, the nursing home put her on 20 mg Celexa and her mood turned around almost immediately with no side effects. She was cheerful again and was willing to take life as it came her way. To see if she could function on a lower dose, about a month ago they dropped her dose to 10 mg and the anxiety returned. Today her dose was brought back up to 20 mg, and we are anticipating a return to her non-anxious self."

Dr BobR February 3, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe anxiety at work and suffer from OCD. It got to the point where I was having chest pains, shortness of breath, and panic attacks at work. I have taken Xanax occasionally and it seems to help, but only temporarily. I am not a "pill popper" and was very disagreeable when my DR suggested I take a SSRI. I reluctantly agreed to take Celexa as I was in fear of loosing my job. I have been taking 10 mg for two weeks now and I am already seeing a difference. I do not feel anxious or panicky as much and I am able to think with a clear head. I do not seem to worry either. The only side effect so far is hot flashes at night. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 February 2, 2017

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After self medicating my anxiety for a couple of years with booze, I took initiative to regain control. Went to the ER, they gave me librium to detox at home. Helped tremendously. Walked away from my business (had to, that was my huge stressor, and it was going to kill me). Went through the roller coaster of emotions being sober. So here I am a year later. I asked my Dr for an anti depressant last month to help the lingering bouts of anxiety. She prescribed 20mgs of celexa. Starting with 10 for a week. First week, I seriously felt like I was on e. Euphoric, music sounded better, relaxed...but could not sleep "normal". My sex drive is back and in full swing. Still staying on 10mgs as it still feels strong. Sleeping better the past 10 days."

Quince (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had severe anxiety when driving and just in general for the past 8 years. I would get so nervous while driving I would shake and my heart felt like it was going to explode, I would get really dizzy. I mostly stayed home and it turned into depression. I had taken Celexa before as a teenager when dealing with anxiety, at that time it worked well for me but I got pregnant and stopped taking it since, that was 8 years ago. My doctor prescribed me to Celexa again and after about a month I started noticing that I was feeling so much better. I could drive without much anxiety at all. I wasn't shaking or feeling I was on the verge of an attack. I never realized how much anxiety was taking over my life. The only side effect is pretty bad dry mouth"

BenTen (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered with anxiety my entire life, and I graduate school it became dehabilitating. I would have panic attacks randomly and my heart was always racing. My GP put me on 10 mg of Celexa, and after about a week I was feeling much better. I have been on it for about 2 months now and feel like an entirely new person! The only negative side effects I have experienced were a bit of drowsiness when I first started (my body has adjusted), and frequent, very vivid dreams."

Ronda3556 January 2, 2017

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Celexa does get rid of anxiety, however, it also destroys the rest of your life. The should call it the boner killer, because you will never get an erection as long as you take celexa. And its tough to call yourself a man if your junk isn't working. That leads to depression. So right now I am in a tough spot. Go back to anxiety, or stay depressed? I don't feel like this throwing darts type treatment is good. Either something works or it doesn't. In my opinion, if the side effect are worse than the problem, drug doesn't work."

Rob1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I lived with anxiety/depression for years. Everyday felt like a struggle. I experienced a period of intense stress during grad school in my early 30's, and decided to seek help. If I only did this in my 20's I could have accomplished so much more. Celexa took away my anxiety and depression, but it took a couple months to work on 20mg. I felt like myself, I felt happy. I had no side effect, no weight gain, nothing. Since I felt so great I attempted to taper down and had bad withdrawal. I decided to stay on it. My 20mg stopped working after two years so I got up to 30mg...I think it "pooped out". I have bad depression now- sleeping all the time and anxious. I was switched to an SNRI, but celexa changed my life and I'm glad I tried it first."

Beachboxer (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016