User Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

Paxil has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 209 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 61% of those users who reviewed Paxil reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil

Tubby · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2020

“This medication get so many bad reviews but it can be great. Turns out I’m extremely sensitive to SSRIs. I had to start at 2mg Paxil name brand and move up. I’m at a month on 3.5-5mg alternating every day as of now along with TMS treatment. Even just this much has helped. My mood is getting better, I talk more. Less anxiety, my hair pulling has subsided. Stuttering has really decreased which is great. I feel it working and my sleep has been better. I would wake up at 2-3am in a panic about uni and other matters and would stay up all night. Or, never fall asleep and only sleep at around 7am. Now I fall asleep at 11pm-12am and get up 6-7am again. This medicine treats almost everything I have and helps with PTSD. If you try it and you notice it works for you but can’t take the side effects, start low on a liquid suspension. 1-2mg then build. No starting side effects.”

SunFlower · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 19, 2020

“I was on Paxil for 3-4 years starting at 10 mg a day to I think 50mg a day? My Dr kept upping the dose as my mood wasn’t really lifting, it made me so drowsy, my Dr told me it would go away but it never did. What I initially loved about it was the calmness I had, I could handle social settings with ease! BUT, then came the other side, I was just so spaced out, people at worked noticed me staring into space and would ask if I was ok!! Then one day driving to the store I made a left turn and smashed into another car. No one was hurt, cops came and as I sat on the curb people asked if I was ok, one guy told me I seemed “out of it.” I saw the car coming, but my reactions were slow. To this day I believe me being on Paxil contributed to the crash. I stopped cold turkey which was awful! Never ever do that . Paxil warns about driving and operating heavy machinery. It might work amazing for some, every one is different. Happiness to all:)”

Anonymous February 11, 2020

“I was very skeptical about taking paxil as I’ve never taken a daily medication before. I started taking it and was on it for 4 days. On the fourth day I work up with this dizzy/ groggy feeling. I didn’t think much of it and then I took my medication for the day. I decided to take a nap due to the dizzy feeling and when I woke up I had the worst suicidal thoughts, my head felt even worse, my eyes couldn’t focus on anything, my pupils were dilated, my body felt extremely limp but I was shaking and I also had cold sweats. I called my doctor and she recommended I go to the hospital. I ended up not going because one of my friends had gone through the same thing and told me to stop taking the medication and just drink some water and eat some food. I felt better for the rest of the day but that night I only got 3 hours of sleep due to nightmares and suicidal thoughts.”

Hope989 · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2019

“I took Paxil for 19 years and it relieved my anxiety and depression. I gained 40 lbs over those 19 years but I was happy. In May I decided to try Lexapro and sure enough I've lost 25 lbs. But at the expense of anxiety and depression returning. My Dr increased dosage from 10 -20 mg 5 weeks ago and now I can't sleep. I'm going back to Paxil, I'd rather be fat and happy, than skinny and depressed!!”

Kjls · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

“I started Paxil over 15 years ago after an unexplained bout with extreme anxiety and depression that did not respond to hypnosis, yoga, nothing!!! After trying a few other meds that didn't work, my dr suggested Paxil. When I first started it I also took Klonopin for the horrible anxiety. Within about 6 weeks I totally felt the dark cloud disappear so I went off Klonopin. I have never had to increase my dose!! I'm still on 10 mg, 15 years later. I tried weaning off of it 3 times already and each time I would get really weepy and depressed, so I've decided to stay on it!! Yes, I've gained weight but that is nothing in comparison to how I was feeling prior to being on Paxil”

Trish · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 11, 2018

“Was so anxious about taking this medication due to all of the horrible reviews. It seemed like I couldn’t stop Goggling about it because I just wanted to find someone that had a good experience. Well I have! I went on Paxil for almost two years and it helped me not only get back to myself but a better self. I never gained weight because I exercised few times a week and I never had the crazy side effects. If your thinking of going on Paxil I would highly suggest it. I also did not get the horrible side effects while weaning off. My anxiety was a little high but nothing crazy. I am hoping this helps someone out there because I understand the frustration of reading all of these horrible reviews for the mediation your trying to go on :-/ I did have a bad experience with a medication but I was only on it for two days and got off It right away. You need to do what your body tells you. Never stay on something that makes you feel crappy.”

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

“Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state.”

Chris_m · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

“Hi everyone. I have a question. I feel very sad, depressed and above all anxious... I went to the ER here in my country because I was convinced something was really wrong with me At the ER they checked my heart, my blood pressure and everything was fine. My doctor wants me to start Paxil, I took it for three days already, and I have Xanax for when it gets worse. My question to you all is; how do u cope until the Paxil starts to work? Thank you in advance.”

bbm23242 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2014

“I've been prescribed and taking Paxil for about 3 months now. At first I was nervous about because of the reviews on it saying there would be no sex life and I'm currently in a relationship and have been for 2 years. I'm taking Paxil for anxiety. My sex life hasn't changed at all. Paxil has completely taken away my anxiety and I feel awesome. Give it a shot.”

Jesussavior74 March 6, 2015

“I've been on Paxil 10mg for 18 years, I used to have severe panic attacks and general anxiety disorder. This has helped me live my life, anxiety is a debilitating sickness that interferes with everything you do in life, but only the people who have it can understand that, I recommend it to anyone who has anxiety.”

FeelingGreat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 27, 2014

“I developed an extreme anxiety disorder inside my own home. Every day, my anxiety was at a constant 8/10, and if an 'event' occurred, it would become an anxiety attack (10 /10). I was prescribed Klonopin & fluoxetine (which I'd successfully taken before for depression). This lasted NINE MONTHS. My therapist was giving me useful tools to use to conquer the anxiety, however my symptoms were too high for them to be effective. My prescribing doctor switched me to Paxil/paroxetine and it changed my life. Within 2-3 weeks my constant anxiety leveled out to a 3 or lower and I was better able to use the tools to conquer any spike in anxiety. Paxil helped me to take back control of my life. Anxiety no longer owns me!”

Ken · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

“After years and years of trying and failing with different medications, my doctor finally recommended paroxetine for my anxiety. No side effects unless I DON'T take it, no groggy feeling or haze over my memories anymore. I can function without feeling tired out half way through the day, I don't get dry mouth, I don't gain weight on this medication. All of which have been an issue with other meds in the past. Im very grateful to have found this.”

IrishKat November 24, 2013

“Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).”

trinigirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 11, 2014

“I have been taking Paxil for the past 5 years and it makes me feel great I do not get any anxiety attacks since I started one thing that helps me is the support of my husband and exercise and good eating habits. Theses things assist with living a more richer and happier life. I do not intend on stopping because the good out ways the bad.”

Hope4u · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2013

“About 6-8 weeks ago my doc prescribed 10 mg paxil (Now up to 20 mg) & 0.25 Xanax. The first few weeks I was very, very fatigued! But since I was depressed, I was okay with sleeping the rest of the day after returning home from school. I did experience headaches, nausea, increased anxiety (Xanax helped alleviate anxiety). Within the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken Xanax, my anxiety has dramatically decreased! Depression has also decreased. A few months ago I was scared to leave the house, be around people, an emotional wreck, no motivation to work out. Now I'm happy to go to school, exercise, and be social again. Keep praying and hang in there! ”

Craig_29 May 11, 2014

“It really works wonders. I've been on it for almost a week and I'm just so calm and chilled. My anxiety started getting really, really bad. To the point where I'd cry over nothing almost. I'd sit and stress over the most trivial matters, but in my mind they were huge and irreparable. I'd stopped eating, it freak out on my own etc. Being social became a huge issue and rationalizing that everything would be okay didn't work anymore. Eventually I bit the bullet and saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really been an absolute blessing.”

Va June 24, 2019

“Only been taken PAXIL for a week but I can tell you that my anxiety and depression are greatly improved! I haven’t gained weight except for the 5 lbs I needed to gain! Hope you hang in there because it is been very good for me!”

SonyaBoBonya February 18, 2017

“Paxil worked every time for me. I wouldn't say it save my life bc I believe God saved my life. But let me tell you it brings you back to normal sanity. When your not obsessing bout your anxiety or depression or feeling sad, that's when you know you hit the jack pot. Anxiety and depression come out of no where and Paxil helped every times. Been on for 11 years on and off. This time round bout 4th time took longer and little stronger dose but hang on. I swear to YOU it gets amazing. Not better but GREAT. LIFE IS SO GOOD. SEEK HELP”

Anonymous December 16, 2008

“Have been taking it for approximately 10 years. It is a miracle drug for me. I suffer from Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder and panic attacks and believe me, it is no fun. I nearly drove my family crazy. I tried several other drugs before the doctor put me on Paxil and none of them worked for me. I have taken 20 mg of Paxil per day since I started on it and within 6 weeks I was a different person. I am told I will probably have to take it for the rest of my life (I am currently 57) but that doesn't matter to me. What matters is that I can enjoy my life and my family again.”

ThrashingThrasher · Taken for 10 years or more July 5, 2014

“I've been on Paxil since I was 5, I'm almost 20 now. I've had really bad anxiety my entire life. I started at 5mg daily, as I got older, my dosage slowly increased to 20mg, which is my current dose. I had a few bad life experiences when I was younger that caused my anxiety to increase tenfold, so my DR tried to swap the Paxil for something else. Bad idea, none of the other SSRIs worked; I had a severe increase in anxiety and side effects, so he put me back on the Paxil. Paxil has been the only pill to help my anxiety and I haven't had any side effects from it.”

Nervous Dad June 1, 2015

“Anxiety has always been a big part of my life. A younger me was able to treat it with my brain but now that I am 45 I was not able to control my fears of what bad thing will happen next. Being the father of 2 kids including a handicapped little boy plus my wife that doesn't work, she needs to take care of my little boy. My fears of losing my job, car breaking down, my son's medical condition and a bad set of eyes were some of my major worries, all things that were unrealistic and mostly out of my control. Living in fear creates more problems then solutions. I started taking Paxil about two months ago and I will tell you that it helps. I feel normal no more fear and able to deal with life's problems.”

Haley22 April 16, 2013

“Paxil has helped me out immensely. At first I was really scared to try it because I was reading tons of bad experiences online, but then I decided I needed to do it. Well when I first started it I had a few side effects like the speedy feelings, the restlessness, the lack of appetite, and lack of sex drive and orgasm. Now I have been on them for 2 months and it is working out so great! I have not had any really bad side effects, and the ones that were there when I first started taking it are gone. This medicine has made my life so much more bearable and worked out great for me!”

Red · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 2, 2019

“I used Paxil for 7 years for anxiety and it works fine , it’s not that you don’t have any anxiety but it does diminish it . Last year I decided to quit because I thought I don’t need it anymore and started taking half dose ( 10 ) and then a quarter . Everything was fine till 15 days after I had quit totally . My anxiety came back and the negative thoughts were on the run . So I get back on it , 15 days now and am felling better . It takes at least a month to fully work , but in the meantime anxiety is there . Only the people who suffer this can understand how overwhelming this constant fear can be . I think this will be forever or until something really awesome and new came to market . You can not live in fear .”

Shelby · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

“HI, I have been on Aropax for 7 days now due to depression and anxiety. In the first few days of taking it I was incredibly shakey and when I spoke my voice sounded distant from my own like I was in a dream like state. I was yawning all the time. Although the symptoms seem to be getting better. I have restless legs, dry mouth, a stiff jaw and neck, I am cold all the time and my skin feels like it is itchy or crawling. I wish I did more research before taking it as I have just read how bad the withdrawal symptoms are. Do you think if I stop taking them now only after 7 days it would be OK? Also I feel like I am gaining weight but eating a lot less due to no appetite and drinking lots more water due to dry mouth. what to do?”

Jo67 January 5, 2019

“Taken this medication on and off for over 20 years . Few side effect when going on medication . Never had any withdrawal symptoms even when I forgot to take and when I stopped taking medication Totally cured my anxiety/depression .”

Anonymous July 29, 2013

“I have been on Paxil for 16 years now. I have always been really anxious throughout my life and it came to the point where it was affecting everything I did. Paxil has changed my life for the better and has really worked well for me. I plan on staying on it.”

Lemony · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

“My doctor prescribed me Paxil as she felt I had anxiety (and that I was depressed as a side effect). For what little anxiety I felt I had, it works great. I flew for the first time and felt no anxiety at all, I was like, “Wow, this is what it feels like to be normal.” However for depression, I still do get sad, although that may just be me (my therapy sessions are rather useless). At first when taking this I was on cloud 9. I was feeling great, and I had no appetite at all so I lost 8 pounds. Once I got used to eating without being hungry, my appetite got back to normal. I also started getting constipated while taking this, so my Dr. prescribed me Miralax. I also have noticed that it seems to have dulled my senses “down there”, it takes longer to have an orgasm which is frustrating. I have heard about how this is a difficult drug to get off of, which I am nervous about. All in all I think it works okay but this is also the first anti-depression medicine I have ever taken.”

melody23 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2019

“I have been on Paxil for just over four weeks and its been amazing. I was anxious and stressed and had extreme anxiety about my health. I was desperate and even though I read the reviews - and worried about taking it - I decided to try. I can't begin to explain the calm that is now me. Importantly, because I was so hyper sensitive the doctor asked me to start on a quarter tab and each week I went up - quarter, half, full tab. I think the full tab is 20mg. Remarkably I felt benefits straight away and each time I upped my dose I felt tired for a day or two and then normalised. I had some yawning, dry mouth and loss of appetite. I also sought psychology treatment and have been diagnosed with delay onset PTSD from past trauma.”