User Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

Paxil Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 164 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil

"In my experience antidepressants never worked. Maybe I was misdiagnosed but still I’m not myself. Not even antipsychotics work but they work better than SSRI's on me. I think I have ADHD and I think no one will ever diagnose me."

TJ-GR (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2019

"I had been taking paxil for fibromyalgia pain for 30 years. It worked great, it also helped with my depression and anxiety. Not one adverse reaction in 30 years. Then in November 2018 my pharmacy could no longer fill my prescription. I was told they no longer make paxil. I started taking cymbalta instead but it did not work and I went into a deep depression, unable concentrate, hurt all over and suicidal. Why did they stop making it? My Dr. started me on Prozac 6 days ago and I am struggling to focus. I cry all the time and can't think straight. I have feelings or worthlessness and don't care if I live or die. Why did they stop making it. (They stopped the Paxil brand but it is still available as a generic tablet called paroxetine)"

Anonymous January 8, 2019

"Taken this medication on and off for over 20 years . Few side effect when going on medication . Never had any withdrawal symptoms even when I forgot to take and when I stopped taking medication Totally cured my anxiety/depression ."

Jo67 January 5, 2019

"I have been taking Paxil for about 5 years now for anxiety and depression. It took about 2 weeks before I noticed any changes in my symptoms. I no longer suffer from panic and anxiety attacks. The side effects for me have been weight gain (20lbs) and decreased ability to achieve orgasim. I have recently cut down from 20mg to 10mg and while my anxieties have ramped up somewhat, it has brought my sex life back. I feel 10mg is the right balance for me now."

Michael (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2019

"I used Paxil for 7 years for anxiety and it works fine , it’s not that you don’t have any anxiety but it does diminish it . Last year I decided to quit because I thought I don’t need it anymore and started taking half dose ( 10 ) and then a quarter . Everything was fine till 15 days after I had quit totally . My anxiety came back and the negative thoughts were on the run . So I get back on it , 15 days now and am felling better . It takes at least a month to fully work , but in the meantime anxiety is there . Only the people who suffer this can understand how overwhelming this constant fear can be . I think this will be forever or until something really awesome and new came to market . You can not live in fear ."

Red (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 2, 2019

"10 years on paxil. If you have anxiety this drug should help. I had depression as well and think it helped there as well. I was on low dose of 15mg used with 50mg wellbutrin. These two drugs work great together. I've noticed periods where I think I feel to good. Now we are looking at potential of SSRI induced hypomania. This is fairly common and I only figured it out after reading a lot of info online. If you need to get off Paxil I recommend getting liquid version and titrating very slowly off it. Months not weeks. I'm currently down to 7mg and feel low most times. Trying Lamictal now and will wait and see how that does. Paxil also gave me issues with my sex life."

Matt (taken for 10 years or more) January 2, 2019

"I was on paxil 18 years ago it changed my life, I was shy never dated, I was put on paxil and then married the first guy I went out with. I have been married 18 years, have 5 kids. I had to go off paxil while I was having my first 2 children and they switched me to Zoloft when I was having number 3. Zoloft worked good for me for 10 years but I have switched back to paxil. I have been back on it 17 days and hope it works again. I also have OCD, panic attacks, well all that paxil treats. It runs in my family."

dd December 28, 2018

"I used Paxil for 13 months for general anxiety. My general doctor introduced paxil to me. I've started with 10mg and later increased it to 20mg. It worked amazingly for that time. The only downside was I gained 13 pounds and lost my sex drive that made me want to quit. I knew that I shouldn't stop cold turkey , so I consulted with my doctor. This medicine withdrawal is the worst. Tapering off from 20mg to 10mg was nightmare: constant electric shocks, flu like pain in the whole body, nausea and vomiting . It took two weeks for me to adapt to the lower dose. Changing it to 10mg every other day was ok but again quitting it all for good was the worst torture . I tolerated the nausea and vomiting for 5 days in the row and I couldn't do it any more so I took the 10 dosage again. Doctors don't warn you about the withdrawal but please please if you are reading this , don't take start paxil. Quitting it is the hardest thing that you can not even imagine."

Vandad November 30, 2018

"Was so anxious about taking this medication due to all of the horrible reviews. It seemed like I couldn’t stop Goggling about it because I just wanted to find someone that had a good experience. Well I have! I went on Paxil for almost two years and it helped me not only get back to myself but a better self. I never gained weight because I exercised few times a week and I never had the crazy side effects. If your thinking of going on Paxil I would highly suggest it. I also did not get the horrible side effects while weaning off. My anxiety was a little high but nothing crazy. I am hoping this helps someone out there because I understand the frustration of reading all of these horrible reviews for the mediation your trying to go on :-/ I did have a bad experience with a medication but I was only on it for two days and got off It right away. You need to do what your body tells you. Never stay on something that makes you feel crappy."

Trish (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2018

"I have tried other SSRI'S, they haven't worked as well. I take it with 100mg of Wellbutrin, which completely counteract the sexual side affects for me."

JayR (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

"I took Paxil for anxiety and depression. It worked great for the first 3 days, then suddenly everything got SO much worse than it had ever been. I had the worst dark thoughts for the first time in my life and tried to "tough it out" because I knew it could take a few weeks to work. Worst few weeks of my life. I've been off of it for 2 days and I already feel better. I'm a 22 yo female. Lexapro also did not work for me."

tiredgymgirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

"It changed my life!"

Lane (taken for 10 years or more) September 17, 2018

"I've been on this drug for 3 years. It's really effective, but if you are prone to weight gain BOY will you put on weight! The biggest con is coming off them. I'm currently going from paxil to Prozac. Paxil withdrawal includes insomnia, dizziness, headaches, feeling faint, itchy skin (like you are being covered in ants), and sweating. I've come off many antidepressants in the past and this is the worst withdrawal I've had."

Beez (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

"Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

"I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

"Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

"I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

"I took paxil for years for anxiety. The side effects got to the point I discussed with my doctor about getting off of it. He recommended tapering and starting welbutrin. I can say this. The paxil withdrawal symptoms are purely awful. I would lie in bed for weeks. Couldn't stop vomiting. Dizziness still persists. While it did alleviate anxiety. I'd rather have anxiety than the awfulness it put me through. I would never recommend this to anybody"

Joesep (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2018

"I have to agree with what Monasusie wrote on this subject (1st of September, 2017). I think this is a helpful drug - it helped me reduce my anxiety in different social situations at work, and prevented me of finding other not so constructive and not so healthy solutions to reduce my fear. It gives me energy and courage. So Paroxetine (or Paxil like you call it in the Anglo-Saxon world) may have a bad name in the press, but it treated me good. Friendly greetings from Western Europe, Alphons"

Fons1971 January 22, 2018

"During college years received Paxil to deal with exam stress. It calmed me and initially helped . No weight (sporty) but if I missed a dose after 1 year I started crying for no reason, my doc kept prescribing it and I thought I was OK. Yet it totally "numbed" my true emotions and stole my conscisouness and nature. I was mostly in my "head", seeking "pleasures" and not feeling the necessary "fears" (dangers) in life. After 18 years it "pooped-out" and did not work at all. I was just tired and depressed. I had to "wean off" which was a nighmare (panic, brain zaps, pains, suicidal urges, pure hell). Long term Paxil use simply destroyed my "emotional brain" and my inner and outer life!"

Paxil = Devious + Spelbounding January 7, 2018

"I started taking Paxil for anxiety and depression and started feeling sick on first pill. Nauseous, headaches, trembling, body shocks etc. After the second pill I found it was starting to get hard to orgasm. By the forth pill I couldn't orgasm and quit taking it at that point. Not ready to give up sex to possibly get over some anxiety and depression, but seriously if the side effects are this bad after 4 pills what would a month be like. Then after stopping after 4 days it was like the whole process in reverse as I has gotten over the headaches and sickness after 2 days, it took another 2 days to get over it once stopping. I am going to try something else or just go back to self medication, at least the side effects are more manageable"

Disso1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

"I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

"I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

"Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017