User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

"I'm currently 18 and I have been on paxil for a few months, it's my first try on an SSRI or any medication for anxiety. It works really well, I'm on 20mg and its not that I'm never anxious but my life feels liveable and that's what matters to me. Despite at first always being super sleepy it was nothing compared to thinking wow this is how life is mostly supposed to be like. For me it works, but falling asleep a lot was poo,and there are still certain triggers that I still don't/can't stand but its much better now. Please note people that you don't just quit an SSRI! You have to talk to a doctor on getting off of it or else your brain will be like what is going on. Thus the side effects of withdrawal and so on."

Celeste Nyx January 14, 2017

"Been on Paxil for 17 years, started with 10 mg, stayed with that dosage for about 10 years. Loved it in the beginning, slept great and mood improved a bunch. Eventually I went to 20 mg. It's worked okay over the years. I noticed some improvement with the increase, but never really significant.The transition from 10 to 20 was seamless. Over the years I have tried to switch to other SSRIs as it seems the Paxil just wasn't doing it anymore. But none have made me sleep better than Paxil, so I always go back. After a miserable attempt with Celexa, I'm now trying 30 mg of Paxil. I never thought my dose would get so high. I'm on Day 4, and other than a constant headache, I feel no changes. Hoping my mood and outlook improves one of these days."

DanaO420 January 8, 2017

"I have been on and off Paxil CR several times over the past 3 years. It has been a life saver! I am able to be myself and enjoy life everyday instead of focusing on my Anxiety. The first few weeks can be a little challenging adjusting to the medicine but it is totally worth some nausea and sleeplessness."

Anonymous December 13, 2016

"I have been taking Paxil now for 3 months. Within 2 weeks ALL of my random panic attacks stopped. No more frustration or trying to understand why I have crushing panic attacks... they are gone and I sleep like a baby. It is God sent I lived in turmoil for years. I'm taking 20mg every morning. Only bad part is.... I have almost no appetite and my sex drive is slightly lower than normal. Small price to pay to have peace of mind. Hope this helps."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

"Panic attacks almost totally finished"

SouKay November 13, 2016

"I've been on it for about 4 years . And have found it to be very helpful with my general anxiety. The first week was rough and it seemed like my heart was racing all the time. My Dr said hang in there and a couple days later it seemed to begin to work. I was on the 12.5 cr twice daily. And now take 40 mg a day regular regular release. Seems if I have a few drinks I wake the next morning with a racing heart. If I miss a couple doses I hear a whooshing sound in my head. Thus freaked me out, but people who try to get off of it on their own claim it to a common side effect. So in my opinion stick with it avoid alcohol. It also helped my stress related prostate problem"

SSmokinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2016

"I started to get anxiety and panic attacks when I was 24. I am now 30. I have tried multiple of medication for anxiety, bi-polar,depression etc... I was getting the racing thoughts but worst of all was the womp feeling you get it's hard to explain. I was on benzo as well and nothing helped me. Psychiatrist, group talk but your the only one who knows what you feel others do not understand it. I have always been a deep person and would think way to much. I got out of that stage on my own. Trust me it sucks i still get "crazy" but on Paxil it really helped me I only take Paxil nothing else. You name it I was on it schizophrenia meds as well. I understand when people say I can't get up I can't go out. Just try it all are different!"

Bjoyce86 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2016

"I started Paxil after telling my doctor I had general anxiety and the medication worked after two weeks. At the time my anxiety wasn't high but it was a level 3 out of 10 so the medication helped out. I was able to be more social and worry less traveling around NYC, but I noticed that I started to gain weight which sucked. After 6 months I wanted to come off because I noticed i never really needed it and this was the hard part. Coming off it was horrible! It made me have higher anxiety without it, and it was anxiety I never experience before. I've been off for 4 months and I still haven't felt the same since before taking Paxil. I'd really recommend taking any medication like Paxil if you really need for panic attacks or high anxiety."

Stephen1122 October 24, 2016

"I used to take Lexapro but it seemed to stop working so I asked to switch to Paxil. Have been taking it for 4 days it has made me feel 100x worse. Do not like this drug. Thinking of going back on Lexapro or trying Celexa maybe??"

Wanttofeelnormal4 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

"So far I have been on it 5 days and I am experiencing the worsening of my anxiety symptoms. It's like I can sit still and am in a constant state of panic that even my Xanax is not helping. I am praying that this passes quickly and I start to feel better. I am taking 10mg every morning currently. Supposed to do a checkin with my psychiatrist Tuesday so hopefully the side effects have lessened some by then. I am so amped up with anxiety I am hardly eating and walking about 16,000+ steps a day mainly from pacing. As a stay at home mom of 3 busy kids and a husband who travels frequently I hope relief comes soon!"

Panicked mom (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

"I was on 40mg for months and I noticed absolutely nothing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

"I suffer from generalized anxiety, and my phichiatrist prescribed me 10mg Paxil even though I already take 25mg of seroquel. I took it on Friday Morning was good all day. I took it on Saturday, I was a bit sluggish. Sunday morning I took it at church I felt a sudden cold sensation of the back of my head and down my back. I had to leave early because I started to feel weird. Around 3am I woke up feeling scared out my mind for no reason. I couldn't go back to sleep. The next day I spend all day anxious than at night after I took the seroquel. I was still anxious I laid down and started getting sleepy. My husband was holding me and when I opened my eyes a few seconds later my entire body was tingling. It was one of the worst feelings ever."

Beyshie September 13, 2016

"Paxil is going to effect everyone differently. What worked great for me, may be the worst medication you've ever tried. I've been on Paxil for 20 years and for a large majority of those years, Paxil really helped me with my anxiety. I've been back and forth between 15-30mg many times. I never had any major side effects from it (not libido, not weight gain). The thing with Paxil is, there's the potential for what's called "Paxil poop out" (yes, it's real, Google it) where the Paxil stops being effective. I was completely unaware of this so I was totally blindsided with debilitating anxiety and horrible panic attacks out of nowhere one day. I was really bummed because Paxil had done so much good for me. It's a great med when it works."

Mr. Anxious (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2016

"Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

"I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

"Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016

"I tried them for 4 months!! It was the worst experience i ever had!! I got brain zaps and could not sleep at all. I have mild severe frontal brain damage from a fall. Coming off them is worse than any benzo I have tried!! In fact there just as bad if not worse than a benzo. atleast the benzo drugs work for anxieties!!!! . If you read about antidepressants like i did on google. You will see that they are nothing more than a addicting placebo . Don't let anyone get you on those medications. Just google the fact that the drug companies are handing them out like candy and they do more harm than good. If you like sex than don't get involved with antidepressants!! Because you will not have any sexual wants whatsoever. I wish they did work!!"

brain injured August 4, 2016

"I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

"Ive been taking Paxil for around 3 years now,Im under 18 by the way for people who say its not safe,For my Anxiety,the first 2 years i was on it i was on 20mg,then sometime in 2015 switched it to 40mg,Now im on 60mg,and ive never been better,as far as anxiety goes,Ive tried Zoloft and it did nothing but give me more anxiety,I was on Latuda with it and i had to stop the latuda because I had horrible side effects to it,Ive never had a bad reaction to Paxil,maybe other than slight weight gain. If your going to take Paxil for Depression i wouldent recommend it,but everyone its different,its never helped as far as depression goes,it does slightly help now that im on the 60mg,but im still looking for a anti-depressant to go with it."

Anna_R2000 July 3, 2016

"I had a pretty good experience while taking this drug. I decided to pursue a career that would need me to not be on any medications and talked to my doctor about it. She slowly started to take me off the medications and that took about 2 months total to get off. About 4 days after I stopped taking the medication completely I began shaking uncontrollably, was nauseous and my depression/ anxiety was through the roof. I went to the ER and they said it was withdrawal. These side effects lasted about 2 months total but weren't as severe the whole time. Its been about 5 months since I went off and I feel great!"

HHAn June 27, 2016

"* Reminder, everyone's experience is different and you won't know how this medication works for you until you try it.* I'm 18 and used to suffer from severe social and general anxiety, and mild depression. I've had a bad past with antidepressants but I decided to try Paxil (20mg) because I was desperate. My anxiety is 95% gone, I'm wanting to be more social, and I'm happy all of the time! I don't worry anymore and it's amazing. There are some side effects (which were terrible the first week but reduced with time); headaches, reduced libido, tiredness, smaller apetite {I'm thankful for this one}, and insomnia. Paxil works amazing for my anxiety and I'm so happy I tried it. I'm making new friends and I think I'll secure a job soon :)."

Whistlescript (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016

"Okay so I started taking Paxil a few months ago for anxiety, only 10mg. For the first little bit it was weird, my body felt different and I couldn't eat much, my bowel movements became very irregular. I felt like it was maybe working. I became very tired (I've always been a late sleeper) but it was hard to get out of bed, my thoughts were constantly negative, especially when I would be alone or driving alone. I had a constant headache i didn't want to do anything. I worked out a little bit in the duration but not much. I Couldn't decide whether I should stop or take more and I stopped. It's been about 2 weeks now and I'm starting to feel better and more positive, but still anxious"

Lostandconfused2016 June 2, 2016

"Crippling, horrible anxiety brought on by menopause. Couldn't take hormones. I went through heck trying many antidepressants. One smart doctor tried me on lowest dose of generic Paxil, never changed the dose, allowed my system to get used to it. It worked like a charm! I am able to work full time and do anything I want. The side effects are minimal for me. Yes, I gained some weight but now enjoy taking walks to exercise. No regrets about trying this med at all. Life saver!"

Ann10 May 1, 2016

"Panic attacks and anxiety were completely gone, but with that came tons of side effects. I gained over 40 pounds and it was IMPOSSIBLE lose until getting off of Paxil. No sex drive and couldn't orgasm at all while on it. It made me a little zombie-like, I didn't have any low emotions but not any high ones either. Coming off of it gave me extreme symptoms like headaches, loss of appetite, sore muscles, insomnia, mood swings, and weird violent thoughts. Will all be worth it though once I'm over the withdrawal period. Positive withdrawal symptom: Weight loss!!"

beckbeck17 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

"I was put on this medication for anxiety that I experienced suddenly. My initial panick atattack was so bad that I had throat paralysis. I could not make myself swallow, scariest thing ever. I was on paxil 20mg for 6 months before I stopped. The medication helped with the anxiety but the zero sex drive, constantly sleepy feeling and deep yawns with vivid crazy dreams along with 15 pound weight gain was terrible and not worth it."

jennlynn16 April 11, 2016