User Reviews for Paxil

Paxil Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

"Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

"I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

"Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

"I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

"I took paxil for years for anxiety. The side effects got to the point I discussed with my doctor about getting off of it. He recommended tapering and starting welbutrin. I can say this. The paxil withdrawal symptoms are purely awful. I would lie in bed for weeks. Couldn't stop vomiting. Dizziness still persists. While it did alleviate anxiety. I'd rather have anxiety than the awfulness it put me through. I would never recommend this to anybody"

Joesep (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2018

"I have to agree with what Monasusie wrote on this subject (1st of September, 2017). I think this is a helpful drug - it helped me reduce my anxiety in different social situations at work, and prevented me of finding other not so constructive and not so healthy solutions to reduce my fear. It gives me energy and courage. So Paroxetine (or Paxil like you call it in the Anglo-Saxon world) may have a bad name in the press, but it treated me good. Friendly greetings from Western Europe, Alphons"

Fons1971 January 22, 2018

"During college years received Paxil to deal with exam stress. It calmed me and initially helped . No weight (sporty) but if I missed a dose after 1 year I started crying for no reason, my doc kept prescribing it and I thought I was OK. Yet it totally "numbed" my true emotions and stole my conscisouness and nature. I was mostly in my "head", seeking "pleasures" and not feeling the necessary "fears" (dangers) in life. After 18 years it "pooped-out" and did not work at all. I was just tired and depressed. I had to "wean off" which was a nighmare (panic, brain zaps, pains, suicidal urges, pure hell). Long term Paxil use simply destroyed my "emotional brain" and my inner and outer life!"

Paxil = Devious + Spelbounding January 7, 2018

"I started taking Paxil for anxiety and depression and started feeling sick on first pill. Nauseous, headaches, trembling, body shocks etc. After the second pill I found it was starting to get hard to orgasm. By the forth pill I couldn't orgasm and quit taking it at that point. Not ready to give up sex to possibly get over some anxiety and depression, but seriously if the side effects are this bad after 4 pills what would a month be like. Then after stopping after 4 days it was like the whole process in reverse as I has gotten over the headaches and sickness after 2 days, it took another 2 days to get over it once stopping. I am going to try something else or just go back to self medication, at least the side effects are more manageable"

Disso1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

"I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

"I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

"Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

"I was suffering from awful situational anxiety and depression, hard time fully functioning, couldn't eat, sleep, focus, cried every day, was an emotional mess. Dr put me on 20mg Paxil and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take effect. Within a week I felt so much better. I could eat, sleep, stopped crying altogether, and stopped being constantly overly emotional. I did sometimes have a difficult time fully accessing emotions, gained too much weight, and am having trouble with motivation so I'm currently on day 4 of weaning myself off, nothing but mild side effects so far. For me Paxil was extremely helpful to get me through a very difficult time and get me back to functioning so I could keep my job and parent my children."

KLCin July 24, 2017

"WORST DRUG EVER! Side effects were body shocks, headaches, worse anxiety, etc. I only took it for three weeks and it caused me to feel numb mentally and emotionally. Drove me nuts! So I went off it and let me tell you... WORST withdrawals ever! Lethargy, bad thoughts, apathy, brain zaps, mood swings, depression, etc. Before you take it, which I DON'T recommend as there are other options, read stories about the withdrawals. Theres so many lawsuits against it. Oh and it induced a mania in me and now I'm stuck on antipsychotics..."

Lela3338 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

"I started Paxil approx 3 weeks ago and my life started changing for the better about 2 weeks into it. I feel my social anxiety dissolving, I didn't realize how depressed I was, but life is starting to look so much brighter. I suffered with bad pe which made sexual intimacy impossible, and this has pretty much gone away. I am becoming more outgoing and able to express myself to others and working hard to remove everything in my head which caused my anxiety by talking with my spouse and others in my family. I am also becoming much more comfortable in social situations. I sure hope in continues, because I can't imagine going back to my old self. I had bad nausea and was so tired the first week, but so worth it."

Kt5132 June 25, 2017

"Here is my experience with 10+ years of taking Paxil. It did a good job controlling anxiety in combination with Lorazepam 4x daily. But there was a huge cost to taking Paxil. I gained 10lbs for every 10mg of Paxil I took for a total of 40lbs gained slowly over years. Also, erectile disfunction became a problem. Finally, about 2 years ago, because of insurance change, I had to change psychiatrists. My new psychiatrist asked me if I had noticed side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction while on Paxil. I had no idea my weight gain was related to Paxil. He weaned me off Paxil an on to Prozac. I lost 40 lbs in 6 mos without trying. Prozac works just as well with my anxiety. Perhaps Paxil isn't the right choice for some people."

SlimmerWNoPaxil May 27, 2017

"Pros: works for anxiety, depression Cons: weight gain, ED, orgasm troubles, just stopped caring about everything"

nanotech23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

"I've been taking paxil and Trazadone and its been helping me to get through each day. My anxiety is down and I sleep well."

Lilyrose223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

"I was skeptical at first but just after the first week I feel a huge difference. I have slight nausea, dry mouth and yawning but they are getting better. The world is a much better place now."

Copper69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

"Paxil worked every time for me. I wouldn't say it save my life bc I believe God saved my life. But let me tell you it brings you back to normal sanity. When your not obsessing bout your anxiety or depression or feeling sad, that's when you know you hit the jack pot. Anxiety and depression come out of no where and Paxil helped every times. Been on for 11 years on and off. This time round bout 4th time took longer and little stronger dose but hang on. I swear to YOU it gets amazing. Not better but GREAT. LIFE IS SO GOOD. SEEK HELP"

SonyaBoBonya February 18, 2017

"I started on 10mg Paxil 2 months ago, and my life is changed. I was able to recognize how amazing life is without the shadow of anxiety which caused my depression. I came back to myself. My therapist recommended doing a trial of 20mg to see if my remaining anxiety issues could be subsided as well. I just started today and I feel a little more lethargic than I'd like to and I fear for my sex life. I'm going to try it for a while until my body adjusts and if I still feel out of sorts, I'm going to drop back down to 10mg. The first week or two of symptoms was pretty terrible, I was yawning excessively. VERY nauseous, tired often...but as soon as my body adjusted, an amazing sense of clarity came over me--first time in 15 years. Life changing."

LadyMadonna0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

"I don't understand why people quit after 3 days starting it. It made them too anxious or depressed - isn't this why you are taking it? It doesn't work overnight. I too am very impatient and would prefer a quick fix. But the first 2 weeks are rough but if your persevere the benefits outweigh the startup. I'm into my 3rd week and it's working really well it is like a lightbulb moment. I gave a 9 because for the life of me I cannot orgasm but I'll take that over the suicidal thoughts and feeling lifeless anyday... remember give it time your brain needs to adjust... stay strong x"

Ethan100 January 23, 2017

"I'm currently 18 and I have been on paxil for a few months, it's my first try on an SSRI or any medication for anxiety. It works really well, I'm on 20mg and its not that I'm never anxious but my life feels liveable and that's what matters to me. Despite at first always being super sleepy it was nothing compared to thinking wow this is how life is mostly supposed to be like. For me it works, but falling asleep a lot was poo,and there are still certain triggers that I still don't/can't stand but its much better now. Please note people that you don't just quit an SSRI! You have to talk to a doctor on getting off of it or else your brain will be like what is going on. Thus the side effects of withdrawal and so on."

Celeste Nyx January 14, 2017

"Been on Paxil for 17 years, started with 10 mg, stayed with that dosage for about 10 years. Loved it in the beginning, slept great and mood improved a bunch. Eventually I went to 20 mg. It's worked okay over the years. I noticed some improvement with the increase, but never really significant.The transition from 10 to 20 was seamless. Over the years I have tried to switch to other SSRIs as it seems the Paxil just wasn't doing it anymore. But none have made me sleep better than Paxil, so I always go back. After a miserable attempt with Celexa, I'm now trying 30 mg of Paxil. I never thought my dose would get so high. I'm on Day 4, and other than a constant headache, I feel no changes. Hoping my mood and outlook improves one of these days."

DanaO420 January 8, 2017

"I have been on and off Paxil CR several times over the past 3 years. It has been a life saver! I am able to be myself and enjoy life everyday instead of focusing on my Anxiety. The first few weeks can be a little challenging adjusting to the medicine but it is totally worth some nausea and sleeplessness."

Anonymous December 13, 2016