User Reviews for Paxil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I was prescribe this medication for anxiety, and it worked. I had panic attacks on the nyc subway before taking the medication but when I was on it really helped me to gain a normal life. I was on it for about 8 months then my doctor decided to take me off it cause my life became organized. That was the worst experience ever, coming off paxil was the hardest thing ever, and I recommend when you come off it to taper down very slowly because it just was absolutely hell. This drug does help but it's addictive and hard to come off. Also I gained about 30 pounds on it. I'd recommend the medication if you are having panic attacks, but for general anxiety disorders I would ask to try something else before paxil."

Beckham NYC August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello! I want to tell others that being on Paxil 10 mg. for a few months now has helped me to center myself once again. My life is filled with other people's issues, depression, anger, and discord in their own lives that have depressed me. Situational depression is, in my life, a constant. I just do not have happy people around me and the doctor tells me they are making me "sick". My doctor saw me with high anxiety and worry that was causing me to retreat from daily life. His advice was to try Paxil to give me some relief! Now, how to get the others around me to get therapy and help..."

mareandbosco August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The worst possible anti-anxiety medication ever. 14 years of taking it. Not only did it do the opposite of what it was supposed to do, but I became a horrible person to be around. High one day, down the bottom the other, irrational, fearless to a scary point, extreme in everything I did. the side effects were horrific and it took me 3 years to temper it down to stop taking it....But wait; 2 years after quitting this shit, serious side effects came back to haunt me in a terrible way...Yes; 2 years after I stopped taking Paxil. Please, Google Paxil side effects; many people have had the same problem! Stay away from this stuff. Banned in most of Europe for obvious reasons."

Dajo (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on paxil for 8 days but my side effects are minimal. I started on 5 mg and am moving to 10mg today. Fingers crossed that this works. So far this has been the best in minimal side effects compared to others I have taken"

Schmutz84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a long time (near 25 years) Paxil user. Some of your new users need to give it a chance before making an assessment. I had some of those side effects early on-they were no big deal and they all went away over time. Bottom line, I suffered from lifelong severe depression-Paxil literally stopped me from taking my own life. On Anxiety, the result has not been as positive, but perhaps I need to increase my dosage? I'll talk to my physician on that. If you're mainly depressed I heartily endorse Paxil, it reduces depression with minimal side effects. It's a wonder drug in my book!"

Bronco Philly April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had great success with Paxil. These personal comments we leave should really be considered with a 'grain of salt'. There are so many unknown variables which dictate success of a drug on one person and failure with the same drug on another person. If you read through the thread of helpful comments here you will see that there is the need to be very candid with your health care provider and be ready to try different medications until you find satisfaction. These medications DO WORK. You just have to find the right one for you. Have faith. You will find the right med for you. Life is amazing and will go on and get better!! Never give up. Every day is a new chance."

SeanfromCanada January 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"IT started in the spring of 1996. I began having stomach pains horribly EVERYDAY. Nausea. I had made a major life change in going into something with a 4 and 1 year old that I did not want to really do but my wife wanted BAD... By September of that year, I had become in such pain and lost 50lbs that my intern put me in the hospital for one week with EVERY test of the digestive system. Long story short, I left the hospital with a diagnosis of GAD and secondary IBS. Went home and didn't sleep one week, so doctor put me in a private mental home. They put me on 1mg klonopin and 20mg paxil and 50mg Trazadone for sleep. In 5 days, NO stomach problems at all. Ate 3 square meals, played ball, went to gymn. WAS ALIVE AGAIN!!!"

Anonymous January 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Paxil a month ago I had no effects.Im on 40mg. It made me feel good after two weeks I was alot happier."

Tmv913 November 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Today is day three. I take 10mg. I was told to take half a pill at night for seven days then take the whole pill on day eight. I have to say, today is not a good day. I have been dizzy all morning. Will this ever go away? I am not feeling my best at all. When I take the pill I am very dizzy before bed. does anyone here have answers. How does this drug really work? I had a partial thyroid removal a year ago. I am constantly dizzy, my heart races, my pressure is up. Help anyone ... Please"

KitCat78 November 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was sent to a psychologist for depression and anxiety when I was just 16. She put me on Paxil. It really saved my life. I was unable to sleep and soanxious I could enjoy nothing. After 20 years if feeling normal, although I did gain weight, I decided to wean myself because of the weight issue. Big mistake. I crashed due to stress and been in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for over a week. I can't eat and I lost 10 pounds in a week because I want to be sick all the time. Tried switching to Prozac which made it worse! I'm back to Paxil and I know it will help me again soon as it kicks in. In the mean time I am on Ativan. I wished I never stopped it. Works great for extreme anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been meaning to write this for a couple of months now. I started getting really crippling panic attacks last year. from the panic attacks came mild agoraphobia and then the depression sunk in after not thinking i could help myself. I went through about 4 ssri's before being put on paxil. I can honestly say it has changed my life. I am 95% back to my old self and everyday i actually enjoy getting up. don let other peoples experiences with ssri's affect you. everyone reacts differently and there is definitely one out there that will work for you. In saying that there are 2 types of people with anxiety and depression, a person who does nothing, and a person who gets up and does everything about it. (I'm 21 by the way)"

jay22579 June 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was dealing with anxiety in college my junior year and so I decided to talk to my doctor about it and he prescribed Paxil. When I started taking it, my appetite increased, energy went down, my emotions were just monotonous like I couldn't feel anything. I also gained 15 pounds in 4 months which is not normal for me, especially since I had been working out and hadn't changed my eating habits at all. After being on this drug for 5 months, I am weaning myself off it and I am feeling a million times better. I would recommend a different drug if you are having problems with anxiety."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Paxil since December of 2015. I started out on 10mg, which didn't do much for me, and then my doctor increased it to 20mg, which still was not enough to cease my anxiety. I have been taking 30mg of Paxil for about 4 months now and it has been great. My mood is extremely better and all of my friends and family notice a huge change. I'm a more pleasant person to be around, I don't have panic/anxiety attacks anymore, and I am able to do things that my anxiety didn't allow me to do before. However, when I first started taking Paxil, it gave me a lot of headaches, but they went away as I got used to it. Also, I have been having night sweats and it is hard for me to sleep sometimes, but other than that it is a great medication"

Ashley S April 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a few intense months of panic and high anxiety, I finally was brave enough to try this medication. I have tried other SSRIs in the past, but usually found them very agitating at the "normal" doses, so I have learned to start and stay very low. After a month of insomnia I finally decided to give Paxil a try. I started at 2.5mg. The first few days were fine, I felt sleepy and a bit lazy, but at least that was better than high-strung panic. At about a week, I started to experience some small benefits, and some fairly harsh side effects (nausea, diarrhea, derealization, increased panic). At a month, much better and I was sleeping well again. However, getting off this medication after 5 months was really challenging and uncomfortable."

jillybean2 November 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for about two months. The first two weeks I was on 10mg, and I could feel a big change. My pupils would dilate huge, which I read was because my brain was finally being flooded with serotonin. I actually would relate the side effects I felt as similar to MDMA (I spent from 19-23 as an avid drug user..have been clean now for 4 years). I felt awesome, but it didn't last. Two weeks in, my doctor increased my dose to 20mg. Since the increase, the "good feeling" has kind of went away. I feel how I did before I started Paxil, PLUS it's hard to think clearly&feels like something is pressing on my chest at night. I have absolutely no sex drive and have lost more than 20lbs due to not eating. It's done nothing for my anxiety yet."

KayleighFGG (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from depression for the past ten years, and terrible anxiety since a very young age (especially social anxiety). I've never truly felt happy for any significant period of time. My anxiety can be so severe that I can't even leave my house sometimes. Certain noises, crowds, being out in public, can cause me extreme anxiety which leads to anger and irritability. I also battle alcoholism due to my illnesses. I've been taking Paxil for two weeks and after only 2 days my anxiety VANISHED. My mood is slowly lifting, and I have no desire at all to drink alcohol!! I've even lost weight because I don't stress eat anymore and my appetite has decreased. The first week or so I did feel drowsy/high, but that feeling is going away slowly."

Anon male, late 20's (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PROS: relieved GAD symptoms, rested better at night, generally in a better mood most of the time. CONS: gas, bloating, erectile dysfunction. Stopped taking the med 10 days ago and the withdrawal symptoms are awful! vertigo, electric shock sensations throughout my body, dizziness, mood swings etc. coming off this is like trying to break a coke addiction. antihistamines help with the vertigo,.5 mg of klonopin helps with mood swings. L-TYROSINE AND P-5-P helping also to control symptoms. find an alternative medication. Dr will not tell you how hard it is to get off this crap."

Worst DRUG ever! November 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil (20 mg) since 2000 at the age of 15 and have been on it ever since. I was always an anxious kid but my anxiety became debilitating at the beginning of high school and I would occasionally vomit in the morning due to anxiety and also experienced heart palpitations. After a physical and an echocardiogram revealed that I was physically healthy I began seeing a Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder and he prescribed me Paxil. After about two weeks of feeling run down and kind of flu-like it began working. I really don't have any side effects and I still experience a wide range of emotions, even anxiety, though it is manageable."

Anon18901 June 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil was the first medicine I was ever diagnosed with for general anxiety and depression. Yes, the medicine did stop the anxious crazy non stop thoughts, but it also stopped everything else. I didn't care about anything & nothing bothered me. There was one point I almost got fired at work (or came very close to it) & I honestly did not have a nervous bone in my body, blank faced I listened to what my boss told me I did wrong & said "k" then went on with my day. In other words, you just don't care. Paxil was very weird for me... For the first few days I would feel calm, then for about 2 days I'd get this high that made me feel finally like myself again! Then I would feel like a Zombie. I felt like my mouth was glued shut & couldn't laugh."

Made Me A Zombie (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Paxil for 8 yrs for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks and it saved my life! Recently increased from 30mg to 40mg due to relapse from highly stressful events and can already feel it working again."

Natrlee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me feel like I was floating. Lasted 12-18 hours after each dose. I had to stop it to function at all."

ugene1234 February 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had anxiety all of my life and I didn't even know it until 2012 and Paxil change my life and now I'm back to my old self. And I only took it for to months thanks for my doctor given it to me."

tokei (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety sky rocketed while on this medication so much that my doctor prescribed Xanax. I was terrified and unable to sleep for more than a couple hours."

StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only reason I am giving this medication a '9' is because I'm my 5th week in and I've feel better than I did before taking the medication. I would say in my 3rd to 4th week I started feeling better and to my old self. Don't get me wrong...I still had moments of anxiety and stress, but nothing like it used to be. Recently, I've been preparing for a CT Scan and I think it's caused my anxiety to spike again. I'm staying positive and trying to face the reality that my worry is the cause of the anxiety. I know the full effect with Paxil doesn't kick in until 3 months and I am going to stay on it to benefit from it. Like I said, it's been a tremendous blessing, but still got a hill to climb. It's most important to face our problems head-on."

OnlyAMemory (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014