User Reviews for Paxil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"Hi...Ive been on Paxil 11 years. Its the only thing that helped my depression and social anxiety disorder. The only side effect I have is weight gain. It will cause withdrawal if you stop taking it for a week which happened once when I didnt get my script refilled. But all in all its helped me greatly. I'd rather have weight gain than severe depression and anxiety and fear of crowds. I give it a 10 for my case."

LadyEcho July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil is one of the few antidepressants that worked well for me. However, don't stop taking the drug when you start feeling better. Stopping Paxil abruptly made me physically ill. The Paxil withdrawal symptoms are similar to opiate withdrawal."

Bud G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried 4 SSRI's and paxil was the worst, was on it for 7 months at 40mg for depression, social anxiety and OCD and no improvement at all. It was VERY sedating and made it very difficult to orgasm, which was frustrating. I am now on Lexapro which is working great with half the side effects of paxil. I suggest looking at other SSRI's before considering paxil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil has changed my life. I was terrified to start another medication for depression and anxiety because of all the bad experiences I have had. I have tried over 10 medications and finally after just a week with this medication it has completely changed eveything for me. I feel like my normal self and can enjoy life again!!"

Cherry56 54 January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken paxil 10mg for almost a week now & I absolutely CAN NOT stop craving food. I just want to eat eat eat and i cant stop. I will definitely be talking to my doctor about this side effect and try to get a different medication."

Victoria821 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I attempted suicide a few times and was hospitalized for months. I was out of work and on social security and on other meds from 2008 until 2014. I was taking meds that were extremely expensive and could not afford them. I had relocated and had a new doctor. He decided to try me on Paxil. WOW is all I can say I was like a different person in a very short time. I have gone back to work and now hold down a fulltime position and have a life. It was like a miracle drug for me. My doctor told me I needed to let you know of my success as he was astonished also. THANK YOU FOR PAXIL"

Linda55705gmail.com (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried out all sorts of drugs and never thought I would feel myself again. This drug has helped me get my life back. I feel positive for the first time in 4 years. Of course, I still have my wobbles, but it has allowed me to eat, exercise and socialize, which I wasn't doing before. I'm hoping to keep building momentum, so I can lead a full and happy life, rid of anxiety, panic attacks and depression. A god-send drug. I don't care if its hard to wean off. I will stay on this forever is necessary"

Anonymous April 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil is making me calmer, but not lessening depression. However, I only have been on it one week. I will give it more time. Side effects are fatigue, weight gain, and headache. I feel that this drug would be best for someone with aggression. I also take 1 mg Klonopin which is also sedating. Paxil and alcohol don't mix well."

wannabbetter (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Paxil since 1999. I have tried other drugs of the same type and nothing works for me like Paxil does. I've used different does throughout the years, as I've been fortunate enough to have doctors who listen to me and recognize that in this regard, I know my needs. Specifically, I stopped taking Paxil when I was pregnant with my son ten years ago. After his birth, I did not resume because I wanted to breastfeed. My post-partum depression was deeper than anything I could have expected. Paxil brought me back to life. Five years ago, I took it throughout another pregnancy with no side effects to my child. I often say that Paxil saved my life, and I mean that very literally."

Rebecca KSparrow September 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for 4 days and so far I have been staying up late, had a sore throat for few days and also been eating a lot. As far as my moods, I haven't felt any changes or anything as far as pulling me out of my depression shell. As far as I know, it doesn't start actually working until about 4-6 weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried Paxil in 2000 when I had unstoppable panic attacks.I had been dealing with anxiety all of my life & those years I had constant panic over a teen addict & a son with learning disabilities and marital issues. This was the first time I had ever taken an AD. The very first day I felt relief from it.However, looking back; the start up dose of 20 mg caused me to be a bit withdrawn & weirdly unresponsive to my family after that first day. As time went on though I began to feel much better & happier. I will say the dose was probably too high as I did make some regretful decisions from not thinking things through,I gained several extra pounds; & 'thought' I had sexual side effects; it could have been situational. Not well since stopping."

Marchbaby (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was suicidal for many years, I tried NOT to commit suicide but ended up trying 5 times, I started in 180 miligrams of Elavil but craved sweets and gained weight and was always tired. I started on Paxil and have taken it for 20 or so years. I started at 50mg and now take 40mg, I feel completely normal. I haven't gained weight. My diagnosis was Major Endoginal Depression."

janny b May 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Paxil for 20 years. I raised my daughter alone while on this medication, and I thank God for it! In 20 years I've had one serious episode, my doctor added Risperidone to my regimen for a few weeks. This helped level me out again. I am happy to report, I believe Paxil saved my life!"

pongyi (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Paxil for over 20 years. I always hoped something better would come along, i.e., without side effects of weight gain and dry mouth. I have most of my back teeth crowned and have lost a few and have implants. It's a choice. Nothing is benign, but I have found this is the only medication that I can tolerate, and it does help. So, I guess I will stick it out and see. Good medication, not so good side effects. "

Johnnie4 (taken for 10 years or more) December 5, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before starting Paxil, I was extremely depressed. I did not want to talk to people or have to leave the house for any reason. (Albeit I'm 22). When I would have to go somewhere such as school or the doctor's office I would dread having to leave and I'd be having an internal melt down the entire duration of getting dressed. It didn't matter what I wrote or how much make up I had on, I felt like I was so ugly that people would just stop and stare at me (which I am not ugly and they would not stop and stare). Sometimes I'd be so intimidated from just having to walk through a door into a room and have someone look up that I'd just turn around and go back home. This medicine took all that away and changed my life."

Anonymous September 29, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on Paxil 20-60mg for 11 years and have found that while I still experience depressive episodes, occasionally suicidal ideas, I tend to recover faster- weeks instead of months. I've also experienced weight gain 30+ lbs, high blood pressure, constant dry mouth, lack of libido and difficulty with orgasms. These side effects have affected my marriage and self-esteem and am currently slowly weaning off Paxil."

Female40 (taken for 10 years or more) June 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for about the past four years. It helps stabilize my depression, which I've had for many years. It doesn't make me happy, but at least I can function and feel like a normal person. It is one of two medications that have helped me at all (the other being Celexa, but that one made me gain extreme weight). The only negative thing is that I gained some weight months after taking it. Despite a few extra pounds, I'll keep taking it."

quackers 2 April 25, 2014