User Reviews for Paxil to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Paxil has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 63% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil

2002z288 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2021

“I started Paxil not too long ago. This is the best SSRI that I have used this far. It really helps with my mood and racing thoughts. I’m less anxious too. I was on Zoloft for a couple years before and it worked great but I noticed the benefits started to wear off, so my psychiatrist decided to put me on this. I’m very thankful. For some reason certain SSRI's work better than others; everyone is different. I tried lexapro and had horrible depression from it. All I can say is don’t give up until you find what works for you.”

Steve W · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 28, 2021

“10 for anxiety 10 for OCD 8 for depression”

NOT · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2020

“I tried several antidepressants (fluvoxamine, escitalopram,mirtazapine,buspirone) and paroxetine was by far the best of them (been 2 years on it),for those who are starting the medication, you have to be patient, it took between 1 and 2 months to take effect, but it worked wonders for my depression and anxiety, an authentic life changer. I only stopped the medication because it causes serious problems with erectile dysfunction, sexual libido, I felt a total anorgasmia with paroxetine, so I will rate the medication with a 9, because if it were not, it was by far the best medication I have ever taken, I did not feel any negative side effects with it”

Ky · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I've been on almost every antidepressant out there (save for some tricyclics) for major depressive disorder and none helped enough to justify the side effects. I was on Paxil briefly when I was 14, but stopped it due to insurance problems. I started it again a couple of months ago and it has been incredible. I started out at a dose 10mg, had some nausea but nothing major and it went away after a couple of weeks. I've now been on 20mg dose for almost three weeks and am experiencing some nausea again and headaches, but emotionally, I feel fantastic. I didn't have a severe PTSD anniversary reaction this year thanks to this medication. I feel good. I care about things. I feel like I can handle setbacks without wanting to just give up. This has truly been a miracle for me so far.”

Anonymous September 29, 2014

“Before starting Paxil, I was extremely depressed. I did not want to talk to people or have to leave the house for any reason. (Albeit I'm 22). When I would have to go somewhere such as school or the doctor's office I would dread having to leave and I'd be having an internal melt down the entire duration of getting dressed. It didn't matter what I wrote or how much make up I had on, I felt like I was so ugly that people would just stop and stare at me (which I am not ugly and they would not stop and stare). Sometimes I'd be so intimidated from just having to walk through a door into a room and have someone look up that I'd just turn around and go back home. This medicine took all that away and changed my life.”

pongyi · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2015

“I have been on Paxil for 20 years. I raised my daughter alone while on this medication, and I thank God for it! In 20 years I've had one serious episode, my doctor added Risperidone to my regimen for a few weeks. This helped level me out again. I am happy to report, I believe Paxil saved my life!”

Hemaro December 10, 2018

“I have several chronic conditions but a month ago I started developing extreme thoughts of GUILT. They just suddenly appeared and made me feel guilty for everything at the point of getting suicidal because it was unbearable. Then I recalled a medication I took in the past for similar feelings and PAXIL came to my mind. I immediately called for a script and got it. A miracle happened. Although I slept 18 hrs. with 40mg. I woke up like a new person. No more negativity in my life! Thankful for Paxil.”

Rebecca KSparrow September 10, 2015

“I have taken Paxil since 1999. I have tried other drugs of the same type and nothing works for me like Paxil does. I've used different does throughout the years, as I've been fortunate enough to have doctors who listen to me and recognize that in this regard, I know my needs. Specifically, I stopped taking Paxil when I was pregnant with my son ten years ago. After his birth, I did not resume because I wanted to breastfeed. My post-partum depression was deeper than anything I could have expected. Paxil brought me back to life. Five years ago, I took it throughout another pregnancy with no side effects to my child. I often say that Paxil saved my life, and I mean that very literally.”

Nat October 26, 2019

“Paxil literally saved my life. This fast acting pills can get you feeling better in as little as a week. It helped me get completely stable & after years I finally felt what happiness was once again. I cannot rate this life saving pill a 10 due to its side effects. Paxil 30mg helped me to reconnect with myself once again and feel at peace but every single day I would wake up with serious nausea. Also, weight gain is a strong factor to look out for as I gained 40lbs in just one year on it. It also took a toll on my sex drive but that wasn't a major problem since I was single at the moment. Although paxil has its side effects its such a life changing pill, I decided to deal with them. I then got switched to Effexor 150mg ER yet it gave me a terrible relapse that I ended up in a psychiatric institution. I'm now on Wellbutrin XL 150mg & seem to be feeling fine, but thank you Paxil for saving my life in a time of desperate need.”

Cherry56 54 January 13, 2017

“Paxil has changed my life. I was terrified to start another medication for depression and anxiety because of all the bad experiences I have had. I have tried over 10 medications and finally after just a week with this medication it has completely changed eveything for me. I feel like my normal self and can enjoy life again!!”

janny b May 2, 2015

“I was suicidal for many years, I tried NOT to commit suicide but ended up trying 5 times, I started in 180 miligrams of Elavil but craved sweets and gained weight and was always tired. I started on Paxil and have taken it for 20 or so years. I started at 50mg and now take 40mg, I feel completely normal. I haven't gained weight. My diagnosis was Major Endoginal Depression.”

JC69 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

“Paxil has some side effects like ED, and sexual dysfunction that I don't like as well as weight gain, but I recently discovered that adding prisiq or Effexor helps a lot with depression when Paxil alone isn't enough and it somewhat helps with sexual disorders. Still ask your doctor if this combination is right for you because it doesn't help everyone. Start slow and you don't need a high dose either. Paxil is effective for anxiety and Pristiq is effective for depression. The combo works for me..”

Anonymous April 4, 2016

“I've tried out all sorts of drugs and never thought I would feel myself again. This drug has helped me get my life back. I feel positive for the first time in 4 years. Of course, I still have my wobbles, but it has allowed me to eat, exercise and socialize, which I wasn't doing before. I'm hoping to keep building momentum, so I can lead a full and happy life, rid of anxiety, panic attacks and depression. A god-send drug. I don't care if its hard to wean off. I will stay on this forever is necessary”

Female40 · Taken for 10 years or more June 19, 2014

“Have been on Paxil 20-60mg for 11 years and have found that while I still experience depressive episodes, occasionally suicidal ideas, I tend to recover faster- weeks instead of months. I've also experienced weight gain 30+ lbs, high blood pressure, constant dry mouth, lack of libido and difficulty with orgasms. These side effects have affected my marriage and self-esteem and am currently slowly weaning off Paxil.”

Johnnie4 · Taken for 10 years or more December 5, 2014

“I have been on Paxil for over 20 years. I always hoped something better would come along, i.e., without side effects of weight gain and dry mouth. I have most of my back teeth crowned and have lost a few and have implants. It's a choice. Nothing is benign, but I have found this is the only medication that I can tolerate, and it does help. So, I guess I will stick it out and see. Good medication, not so good side effects. ”

wannabbetter · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2016

“Paxil is making me calmer, but not lessening depression. However, I only have been on it one week. I will give it more time. Side effects are fatigue, weight gain, and headache. I feel that this drug would be best for someone with aggression. I also take 1 mg Klonopin which is also sedating. Paxil and alcohol don't mix well.”

LadyEcho July 11, 2017

“Hi...Ive been on Paxil 11 years. Its the only thing that helped my depression and social anxiety disorder. The only side effect I have is weight gain. It will cause withdrawal if you stop taking it for a week which happened once when I didnt get my script refilled. But all in all its helped me greatly. I'd rather have weight gain than severe depression and anxiety and fear of crowds. I give it a 10 for my case.”

quackers 2 April 25, 2014

“I've been on Paxil for about the past four years. It helps stabilize my depression, which I've had for many years. It doesn't make me happy, but at least I can function and feel like a normal person. It is one of two medications that have helped me at all (the other being Celexa, but that one made me gain extreme weight). The only negative thing is that I gained some weight months after taking it. Despite a few extra pounds, I'll keep taking it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2017

“Tried 4 SSRI's and paxil was the worst, was on it for 7 months at 40mg for depression, social anxiety and OCD and no improvement at all. It was VERY sedating and made it very difficult to orgasm, which was frustrating. I am now on Lexapro which is working great with half the side effects of paxil. I suggest looking at other SSRI's before considering paxil.”

Diddy8789 · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2017

“Originally took it in 2000. Took several weeks to work, with some anxiety levelling off immediately. Went from 10mg to 30 mg. Stayed on it for several months, but sexual side effects were a concern. I wish I hadn't stopped taking it. I was talking to people, maybe a little manic as well. But 17 years later, I tried so many but no benefit like Paxil so I'm starting Paxil again with Seroquel for manic episodes.”

Sarammmmtia January 26, 2018

“Paxil has been very effective for my anxiety. Within a couple months of starting I was able to get a job, something I couldn't do before. I found myself feeling more confident and caring less about things that used to worry me. However, Paxil unfortunately hasn't helped with my depression. And while the side effects I have experienced (sexual dysfunction, vivid dreams, drowsiness) are pretty minor, the withdrawals are insane. My insurance screwed up and I missed my meds for a couple of days and it was a nightmare. I was angry, anxious, suicidal. I had constant brain zaps and could hardly sleep. So be careful with this one. Don't miss any doses and try to take it at the same time every day. And if you want to quit, TAKE IT SLOW.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2015

“I've been on Paxil for 4 days and so far I have been staying up late, had a sore throat for few days and also been eating a lot. As far as my moods, I haven't felt any changes or anything as far as pulling me out of my depression shell. As far as I know, it doesn't start actually working until about 4-6 weeks.”

Marchbaby · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2015

“I tried Paxil in 2000 when I had unstoppable panic attacks.I had been dealing with anxiety all of my life & those years I had constant panic over a teen addict & a son with learning disabilities and marital issues. This was the first time I had ever taken an AD. The very first day I felt relief from it.However, looking back; the start up dose of 20 mg caused me to be a bit withdrawn & weirdly unresponsive to my family after that first day. As time went on though I began to feel much better & happier. I will say the dose was probably too high as I did make some regretful decisions from not thinking things through,I gained several extra pounds; & 'thought' I had sexual side effects; it could have been situational. Not well since stopping.”

Bud G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2017

“Paxil is one of the few antidepressants that worked well for me. However, don't stop taking the drug when you start feeling better. Stopping Paxil abruptly made me physically ill. The Paxil withdrawal symptoms are similar to opiate withdrawal.”

Victoria821 · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2016

“I've taken paxil 10mg for almost a week now & I absolutely CAN NOT stop craving food. I just want to eat eat eat and i cant stop. I will definitely be talking to my doctor about this side effect and try to get a different medication.”

Sunshine April 25, 2018

“I tried this medication and it had the most horrible side effects and all around worsened my condition. It caused a more severe depression and rageful episodes which destroyed a wonderful relationship with my boyfriend. After taking it for less than a month, I could not breath and fell unconscious and had a seizure. It was also prescribed for hot flashes which didn't work either. In addition, it caused nausea and flu-like symptoms and 10lb weight gain. I felt worse than ever and it had a deleterious effect on my life.Horrible drug!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2018

“I originally started at 20mg. This dose was too much and had trouble sleeping. I went down to 10mg which is working much better for me. Unfortunately, I am experiencing blood taste in my post nasal drip. I have excellent oral hygiene and this is not coming from my mouth. It is definitely the throat. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this? The medication is working but this side effect is gross.”

Tricks · Taken for 10 years or more July 28, 2020

“Love this Paxil medication. I have been taking it for 10 years and only once had thoughts of suicide. They upped the dose to 30 mg. It has been the best thing I have ever taken”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder