User Reviews for Paxil (Page 5)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paxil.

Trichotillomania

Postmenopausal Symptoms
2.5

Summary of Paxil reviews 7.2 628 reviews

Reviews for Paxil

For Social Anxiety Disorder "O M G Where has this drug been my whole life? I have only been on it for little over a week and already I am feeling "more than functional"! So functional in fact that I am re-enrolling into school and getting my drivers license back. I feel like there's hope for me and i do in fact have a future, and people who love me. like i said, i've only been on it for over a week. I hope this keeps rolling the way it is now! but definitely 10/10 Other drugs I have tried that were NOT helpful: zoloft, escotalopram, effexor. Not saying you should disregard them though. i'm supposing that different drugs help different people for different reasons. *shrug"

Harryharrold (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've been on it for about 4 years . And have found it to be very helpful with my general anxiety. The first week was rough and it seemed like my heart was racing all the time. My Dr said hang in there and a couple days later it seemed to begin to work. I was on the 12.5 cr twice daily. And now take 40 mg a day regular regular release. Seems if I have a few drinks I wake the next morning with a racing heart. If I miss a couple doses I hear a whooshing sound in my head. Thus freaked me out, but people who try to get off of it on their own claim it to a common side effect. So in my opinion stick with it avoid alcohol. It also helped my stress related prostate problem"

SSmokinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started to get anxiety and panic attacks when I was 24. I am now 30. I have tried multiple of medication for anxiety, bi-polar,depression etc... I was getting the racing thoughts but worst of all was the womp feeling you get it's hard to explain. I was on benzo as well and nothing helped me. Psychiatrist, group talk but your the only one who knows what you feel others do not understand it. I have always been a deep person and would think way to much. I got out of that stage on my own. Trust me it sucks i still get "crazy" but on Paxil it really helped me I only take Paxil nothing else. You name it I was on it schizophrenia meds as well. I understand when people say I can't get up I can't go out. Just try it all are different!"

Bjoyce86 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started Paxil after telling my doctor I had general anxiety and the medication worked after two weeks. At the time my anxiety wasn't high but it was a level 3 out of 10 so the medication helped out. I was able to be more social and worry less traveling around NYC, but I noticed that I started to gain weight which sucked. After 6 months I wanted to come off because I noticed i never really needed it and this was the hard part. Coming off it was horrible! It made me have higher anxiety without it, and it was anxiety I never experience before. I've been off for 4 months and I still haven't felt the same since before taking Paxil. I'd really recommend taking any medication like Paxil if you really need for panic attacks or high anxiety."

Stephen1122 October 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Works awesome!"

Juot October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "The month I was on Paxil was the worst month of my life. It made me even more depressed and I just felt an intense numbingness along with severe nausea and when I sleep I absolutely knock out for far too long. It also lead to crazy stomach pain that persisted for months until I took an antibiotic. Not for me or probably any one. Just terrible."

Anonymous October 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've taken paxil 10mg for almost a week now & I absolutely CAN NOT stop craving food. I just want to eat eat eat and i cant stop. I will definitely be talking to my doctor about this side effect and try to get a different medication."

Victoria821 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I used to take Lexapro but it seemed to stop working so I asked to switch to Paxil. Have been taking it for 4 days it has made me feel 100x worse. Do not like this drug. Thinking of going back on Lexapro or trying Celexa maybe??"

Wanttofeelnormal4 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I'm an on day 16 of Paxil 10mg. For the past few months I have suffered from increasingly more frequent panic attacks and got to the point where I was afraid to go more than 20 minutes away from my "safe zone," aka my house. After about 4 days of the medication, I felt my anxiety had worsened and almost quit Paxil about a week in. I'm writing this today feeling almost back to my normal self and that's a great feeling! Hopefully the medication keeps working better til I'm at 100%."

AJ of PA October 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "So far I have been on it 5 days and I am experiencing the worsening of my anxiety symptoms. It's like I can sit still and am in a constant state of panic that even my Xanax is not helping. I am praying that this passes quickly and I start to feel better. I am taking 10mg every morning currently. Supposed to do a checkin with my psychiatrist Tuesday so hopefully the side effects have lessened some by then. I am so amped up with anxiety I am hardly eating and walking about 16,000+ steps a day mainly from pacing. As a stay at home mom of 3 busy kids and a husband who travels frequently I hope relief comes soon!"

Panicked mom (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was on 40mg for months and I noticed absolutely nothing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "A miracle drug for me after taking this med it gave.me the courage and strength to get up and do things it made me see things in a different way..ive been off and on with this med for four years now its the only antidepressant that works for me my anxiety completely went away and i feel like i can go threw with thing called life.."

Anonymous September 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Started on 10mg. It helped my anxiety a lot, but I would HAVE to take naps during the day or I couldn't function. That improved after several months. I upped the dose to 20mg. I forgot what it was like to have social anxiety. It was wonderful. The downside to this is that I gained 45 pounds in those 11 months. I'm 5'5. I went from 115 to 160. I've never had issues with weight. I've always had trouble GAINING weight. I didn't want to gain this much. No change in my exercise routine or eating habits. I had to go off of it because it was destroying my self esteem and causing depression. The withdrawals were hell, but I'm gradually losing the weight I gained now that I'm off of it. I'm so disappointed, but hopefully I can find another med."

UsneaDecay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I suffer from generalized anxiety, and my phichiatrist prescribed me 10mg Paxil even though I already take 25mg of seroquel. I took it on Friday Morning was good all day. I took it on Saturday, I was a bit sluggish. Sunday morning I took it at church I felt a sudden cold sensation of the back of my head and down my back. I had to leave early because I started to feel weird. Around 3am I woke up feeling scared out my mind for no reason. I couldn't go back to sleep. The next day I spend all day anxious than at night after I took the seroquel. I was still anxious I laid down and started getting sleepy. My husband was holding me and when I opened my eyes a few seconds later my entire body was tingling. It was one of the worst feelings ever."

Beyshie September 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I was on this drug for a long time and the only thing I can report is that I felt like a zombie most of the time, was so tired that I could barely function ( lost my job as a result of it ), and had absolutely no desire for sex whatsoever. I rarely felt that I was thoroughly enjoying anything that was going on in my life, it completely numbed me out to a traumatic experience that I should have been dealing with and as a result of being on it I did not fully process that experience until getting off of the medication... That and the withdrawal symptoms were debilitating, and terrible. Brain zaps are not a fun experience and they were bad with this one."

Ang.S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Paxil is going to effect everyone differently. What worked great for me, may be the worst medication you've ever tried. I've been on Paxil for 20 years and for a large majority of those years, Paxil really helped me with my anxiety. I've been back and forth between 15-30mg many times. I never had any major side effects from it (not libido, not weight gain). The thing with Paxil is, there's the potential for what's called "Paxil poop out" (yes, it's real, Google it) where the Paxil stops being effective. I was completely unaware of this so I was totally blindsided with debilitating anxiety and horrible panic attacks out of nowhere one day. I was really bummed because Paxil had done so much good for me. It's a great med when it works."

Mr. Anxious (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on Paxil since 2012. All in all there has been good and bad like any medication. Some side effects people complain about like tiredness and appetite increase for me have been to my advantage. Anxiety robbed me of my appetite and sleep. It has helped me with my social anxiety in ways other media didn't. It actually made me want to be more sociable and made me finally see how small my fears were which I made out to be so unreal. Anyways now I don't fear public places or people anymore I feel normal as I would call It!"

Canadian4Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was prescribed Paxil for situational depression that was pretty severe, merging on PTSD. (I went through a really bad relationship breakup that was traumatic) I also had GAD (general anxiety). I took Paxil for about 8 weeks. It started working right away and I felt so much better I'd say within a day or two. I slept better and woke in the morning without massive anxiety and intrusive thoughts and my depression began to lift. BUT I gained a whopping 20 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on Paxil. It was so awful that I had the doctor wean me off of it . I thought once it was out of my system that the weight would slowly come off but it didn't - I gained another 10 lbs. I think Paxil messes with your metabolism. Will NEVER take it again."

46yrold August 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "51yo healthy female. Minor pre menopausal signs periodic mood swings, tiredness. Prescribed Paxil 10 mgs. Severe bouts of exhaustion, heart palpitations, breathing anomalies, sexual disfunction, felt like zombie. Slept 2 days. Quit meds day 6. 16 days from quitting feel horrible. Severely depressed, anxious, tired, (never have felt anxious or depressed prior). Still sleep too much, experience outrageous wildly abnormal mood swings, have neglected my work, my house, my pets, my friends & exercise (was running 5 miles daily prior, now do nothing) Still experience breathing abnormalities. Better each day yet unable to function normally. Life & business in ruins, cry constantly. Nightmarish experience. Feel like I may never be the same again."

Eli Mae August 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I personally WILL NEVER recommend Paxil to ANYONE. It literally ruined my life. At first, I felt that it was ok. But, quickly and suddenly, I started gaining weight. ALOT of weight. Literally, my pants fit one week and did not fix the next week. And that wasn't all. I was feeling much worse. I was very manic. So depressed that I could not get out of bed. My life was work, eat, and sleep. I had no motivation and I started fixating on thoughts of suicide. It wasn't until the unexplained rapid weight gain that I started to ask myself what had changed in my routine. That's when I realized that Paxil was the newest addition to my life and I began doing research. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I still can't lose the weight."

Jenna6281 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "It makes me tired"

source (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I tried them for 4 months!! It was the worst experience i ever had!! I got brain zaps and could not sleep at all. I have mild severe frontal brain damage from a fall. Coming off them is worse than any benzo I have tried!! In fact there just as bad if not worse than a benzo. atleast the benzo drugs work for anxieties!!!! . If you read about antidepressants like i did on google. You will see that they are nothing more than a addicting placebo . Don't let anyone get you on those medications. Just google the fact that the drug companies are handing them out like candy and they do more harm than good. If you like sex than don't get involved with antidepressants!! Because you will not have any sexual wants whatsoever. I wish they did work!!"

brain injured August 4, 2016