User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"I've recently gotten off a 2.5 year paxil treatment for my social anxiety. My main issue was sweaty face/body and red face breakout. I was first perscribed 20mg but as nothing changed after 2 months I was put on 40mg. It certainly helped. I was quiet tired in the beginning but it got better. I felt the side effects as I gained over 10kg in the past 1.5, and also I didn't have much of a sex drive and almost impossible to orgasm (I'm Male). Regardless though it helped my life for the better. Unfortunately stopping recently was a bad idea, my anxiety has returned along with a certain feel of depression. I'll be returning to paxil starting tomorrow with 20mg, and see how it goes. Regardless of the side effects etc, it did help me in my life."

Phtoa (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2016

"Changed my life. I can function at work--even facilitate meetings-- and have social interactions without the physical "fight or flight" response kicking in. It does make me tired, and there are some sexual side effects, otherwise I would have rated 10."

Some One April 28, 2016

"About 33 years ago, I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression. Was put on Paxil, and it was brought to my attention, that they actually made me worse...more agitated. As I read these posts, I wonder "sure wish it worked for me, like that!! Need less to say, all these years later, my anxiety is thru the roof...HATE groups or crowds of people...I pretty much either go to work or stay in the house, on days off. Makes me nervous to be around people I don't know. Call me crazy, its like a phobia, and I think it's their stupidity! I'm not prefect, by ANY means....but my word, people these days!"

Tawnyalee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2016

"I'm on paxil one year eight month I'm a new lady really nice and social now I can go anywhere I want the world know I'm a new person thanks paxil to give me my life back."

Minou 67 March 22, 2016

"I've been taking Paxil since I was 9 years old. I'm now 19. Paxil has changed for the best. As a child I missed 4 months of school because I was so scared and nervous, I would puke until my parents told me I didn't have to go then I would instantly feel better. I tried in middle school to stop taking Paxil but I became scared, nervous, and edgy. It has just given me a little balance and control over myself, I'm very thankful for Paxil and that medication has come so far and has offered neurological help and relief to those who need it"

John.' October 23, 2015

"Has changed my entire life. Only side effect is delayed orgasm"

sjayyyyyyyyy October 20, 2015

"I have taken paxil since 1995 after having a nervous breakdown. I also weaned myself off of paxil for 13 months in 2000 so that I could get pregnant. In 2001 I experienced post postpartum depression with no anxiety and went back on the paxil. Paxil is best suited for patients with Anxiety and MDD. It is a very potent SSRI. On dealing with the side effects: Weight gain can be prevented with proactive exercise. Constipation can be prevented by diet, suppository etc Sexual side effects can be reduced by reducing the amount of paxil prior to sex (cut your dosage in half that day). SAD can be minimized by adding vitamin B12 in the fall and winter."

nrcanada (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2015

"You guys. I am a new person. Paxil has completely changed my life. I've been on 40 mg for 2 months and everyone has noticed a change. I can go shopping alone, greatly improved my work life, and I actually want to be social."

Youmg adult (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"I have grown up my entire life not knowing how to talk to people, being told I was shy, sweating, and getting red faced whenever I would talk in front of people. "I would never try anything new and would get nervous and upset when I would have to change plans or be around people. I have been on Paxil for over a year and I tell everyone how it has saved my life. Now, I do not think that Paxil completely changed me, I have also been going to school and building up my confidence. Paxil was the push I needed to get out, be social, and network. As I become more educated I am more and more confident and I thank paxil, and God, everyday. I wish I could be a Paxil Spokesperson!!! It has literally changed my entire life and helped me branch out!"

Ashleylifechanged!! August 15, 2015

"Paxil is good at first but the "good" influence will wear out as soon as your body get used to it. While on it, I felt confident but only on the surface (the med alleviates the physical aspects of SA). On the inside however I'm filled with self doubt, negative thoughts, jealousy of naturally confident people etc. It also made me (careless) not give a damn about socializing so I'm less interested in social situations = more isolated = fear people's views of me. Anyways, please do not consider taking it as it's only a temporary fix. I was dumb enough to believe the success stories written here and tried it. I now have trouble quitting because of the nasty withdrawal symptom.."

bintuae (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2015

"I started taking Paxil about two and a half months ago after many different antidepressants. I was extremely fatigued until the exact 2 month mark then it was like a light bulb went off. I no longer felt exhausted or depressed. The social anxiety no longer plagued me though I don't feel it has been a total cure. But overall, I feel really good. Strangely enough, I have no side effects. No sexual side effects. No sleep issues. Nothing. Paxil is my top choice for the antidepressants I have tried. I am diagnosed bipolar and ADHD as well so I also take an atypical antipsychotic, stimulants, and Xanax strictly for panic attacks. Paxil has really softened the edges for me in combination with everything else I take."

Rissa44 May 31, 2015

"Amazing. Before Paxil, New social situations in my new city at my new job made me almost faint for no reason. I would break out in a sweat and get extremely nervous and re-think how terribly the conversation went until I started Paxil. I'm on the 12.5 MG extended release which is amazing. The night sweats were bad at first but now I don't sleep with the same comforter I used to and they typically never happen anymore. Dreams can be very vivid and intensified especially if I've drank that evening or taken a xanax. Overall it's seriously changed my life for the better and I haven't gained any weight. One side effect would be sex - for the first month or two if was difficult to reach orgasm but now it's back to normal in month 3-4."

Djfkckdksks (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"Paxil has changed my life for the better. I am 39 years and up until a mobth ago I had been dealing with major social and personal anxiety along with bipolar depression and agoraphobia. I had been prescribed a variety of prescription medications by different doctors over the years until last month by chance a new doctor (a general practitioner) suggested Paxil. It has now been a month and I am a whole new person. I have full of confidence and clear thinking. My thought process is in a positive direction and I'm constantly looking for was to improve my mind, body and spirit. I now have a new job after being on SSI for 4 years I thought I would go to my grave on government assistance. PAXIL SAVED MY LIFE!!!"

Molly F. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"This really does work. I've never been more confident and happier. Even my family and friends said something has changed. I also don't get as nervous in intimate situations. Give it a try if you're skeptical."

ktttt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

"It really works!!! But I gained 14 pounds"

SJM87 November 9, 2014

"I have been depressed with major social anxiety for over five years. I've always been scared to try any medication. Lately it's been unbearable. I have too much social anxiety that I can't even sit through job interviews or simple things like going shopping alone. I'm 25 and have been on Paxil for less than a month. The first two weeks were bad. I'd wake up at odd hours of the night and be wide awake. I'd feel like puking throughout the day along with being very drowsy. Don't worry. It does subside. I feel like going out more and I'm not too worried as I usually am about people judging me or looking at me. I participate in small talk with strangers. I am free to go out without worrying. I'm content."

MissJulia October 26, 2014

"I've been on Paxil close to a week now. It took the doctor close to two month for me to agree to trying it. I tried everything to overcome my anxiety naturally and I really felt like I hit breaking point. Because I have two young children, I knew it was important that I gave this a go...even though I'm in early days my mind seems content. I'm still trying to get used to it though. After stressing about trivial stuff for so long its strange to feel that I have my life back."

Jade- jade October 12, 2014

"I literally thought there was 0 hope for me. My anxiety has increased drastically as I've gotten older and has led to social anxiety. Going out in public would depress me, I constantly thought people were plotting against me and talking about me. I have been on Paxil for about a month. Thank God. My work days are MUCH better, I don't analyze the hell out of everything and I'm not afraid of people. I can now get out of bed and look forward to the day, not dread it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"To the person who recommended NeoCitran, do not take NeoCitran if you're taking Paxil or any other SSRI, unless the form of NeoCitran doesn't contain Dextromethorphan. These two medicines have a major interaction that could cause serotonin syndrome, which is relevant to my review of Paxil. My experience with Paxil so far hasn't been the best. Side effects have been pretty bad, and as I also have ADHD, taking both Paxil and Vyvanse has lead to some serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I got mild serotonin syndrome a few days after I started taking Paxil, because I had been taking both Paxil and Vyvanse in the morning. I find that if I take Paxil at least 12 hours after Vyvanse, the side effects are minimal and haven't had any further problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2014

"Started on Effexor. Lost my mind. Was put on Celexa (20mg) and lived my life. Things were okay. I had anxiety still, but it was controlled. Didn't care much about anything. But my anxiety was controlled. That went on for 2 years. Just over a month ago, I saw a new doctor (insurance changed and previous doctor didn't accept it). She pushed me to try Paxil. I replaced my 20mg of Celexa with 10mg of Paxil for 2 days, then went to 20mg Paxil. No issues at all. I am so happy I did it. I am a completely different person. When I say anxiety was controlled on Celexa, I'll tell you I have NO anxiety on Paxil. I haven't thought about it at all. I leave, drive, hang out with my friends, go do everything that not even Celexa allowed me to do."

TaraB_B March 13, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Paxil CR for a few months. My doctor and I tried many many things. I think an entire year of my life was spent on playing with medications and dosages. I am currently taking 37.5 + 12.5 and have been for a while now. I haven't felt this "steady" in years. I can leave my apartment feeling "Free" now. I used to be borderline agoraphobic. I still have a long way to go but Paxil has done NOTHING but GOOD for me. Good Luck!"

RebornAGAIN January 22, 2014

"I have been on Paxil for about 15-16 yrs now. I have probably had social anxiety problems since grade school. It just got worse. Paxil is a good medicine for me but not sure at this point that 30 to 20 mg was a good weaning action. My social anxiety in AA has now increased due to decrease in medicine. When I look at the "good" Paxil has done, it far outweighs the "bad". Having social anxiety is something that can isolate a person. I am not perfect in that regard, but this medicine has definitely been a positive thing in my life. It's not perfect, as I have to work on myself constantly, but it has helped me!"

Man 47yrs old (taken for 10 years or more) August 29, 2013

"I have had bad social anxiety from a very young age. It has affected my ability to obtain and maintain employment. I have tried Zoloft also, but it did not work near as well as Paxil does for me. Since taking Paxil, I have been working a new job for two months. I only give it a 9 because of the minor side effects, which I have been able to find a way around anyway. If your social anxiety is so bad that it affects your ability to support yourself, I would recommend Paxil. I am on 20mg. When I was taking 30mg the side effects were enough to make me switch to Zoloft for a while, but 20mg of Paxil is working great for me."

working lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2013

"Paxil has changed my life! Before: paranoia about people watching me, extreme anxiety walking or being in public places, such as cafeterias, college campus, small groups of people. Mind blankness during conversations, or "social lock up" - inability to interact with others due to severe anxiety. Always woke up feeling tired even if I had a full nights sleep. Side Effects (lasted 2 weeks): 20mg daily. Severe fatigue/sleepiness. A little dizziness if dose was taken late. Headache the 1st two days. Now: Began working really well 7-8 weeks in. No more social anxiety, I feel normal walking around & talking to people. Also I sleep better than ever. Overall anxiety level has gone down & I no longer ruminate/worry constantly! Paxil rocks!"

College Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2012

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I don't think Paxil ever worked for me and it always made me feel really bad but I think my social anxiety was a lot better but I feel much better now without Paxil and I'm on Zeldox and Lamictal but I'm getting pretty bad anxiety so I'm trying to find a good medication for anxiety and especially social anxiety because it makes me feel really bad at university. I was on Paxil, Risperdal, Lamictal and Zeldox before and I was always extremely tired and I think I'm less tired now but I can't remember how tired I was before and I was on Paxil when I was 13 and it also made me feel really bad and didn't do anything for my depression and it didn't help. I'm 24 now."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2012