User Reviews for Paxil

Paxil Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Panic Disorder

"After the birth of my daughter probably within hours I experienced a panic attack , months later I was still having them every week , feeling worried and anxious about everything having irrational thoughts that just wouldn’t budge , that’s when I was diagnosed with postpartum anxiety. I was prescribed Paxil (paroxantine 10 mg). I would cry everyday before that but it did kinda help with my crying spells however for my anxiety I feel like it got worse. I know they say to give it 4-6 weeks I gave it 5 1/2 on 10 mg . Side effects in the first 2 weeks where constant yawning and feeling heavy eyed similar to what allergies feel like in the eyes and increased appetite which was better than not eating at all , I did still have panic attacks and down days . So I didn’t think it was the right fit for me and switched to something else ."

Mom with PPA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

"Don't make my mistake!! I've kept switching SSRI's because I thought "they aren't working" after 2 or 3 weeks. Eventually, I just settled on one SSRI but would "self medicate" on the weekends by binging alcohol in social situations etc. The result was that SSRIs never had a chance to work for me. So after being on them for 5 years and having no benefits from "trying different ones", I thought to myself I would never ever go back on them. I haven't used any SSRI for 7 years since. Thinking they don't work at all. I finally caved in out of desperation. This time I convinced myself that I would take them nonstop for 3 months WITHOUT switching and not taking ANY alcohol. It took about 6-7 weeks until I felt TOTALLY different!!! I hope this helps someone. These medications aren't supposed to magically work at exactly 3-4 weeks. It's a cumulative effect."

anony October 14, 2018

"3 years ago, I began having severe panic attacks alongside my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It made me feel like I was going to die, symptoms included vomiting, diarrhea, chest tightness, irregular breathing and immobility. This escalated to me waking up almost every morning scared for my life, nauseous & vomiting. These episodes would last between 8 hours to 3 days. I could no longer intake food or water and was really underweight, I lost 30lbs. I found an amazing doctor who prescribed me 20mg of Paxil 9 months ago. Within 2 weeks, I noticed a COMPLETE change in my mood and outlook on life. I no longer wake up with panic attacks. I have had about 3 panic episodes in total since being prescribed Paxil when in comparison to when I used to wake up everyday mentally ill. When I have IBS episodes still, sometimes my anxiety surfaces while I'm in the bathroom. Aside from that, Paxil changed my life and made me such a more confident and happy person. I also successfully gained back all the weight that I lost!"

Monica August 31, 2018

"Started on 10mg for panic disorder and worked up to 20mg. It enabled me to accomplish things I couldn't do before, but didn't completely rid me of all anxiety, just took the edge off enough to allow me to function. Recently my anxiety/panic has gotten steadily worse, so I'm going to request going up to 40mg, the target dose for panic disorder. I had next to no side effects other than some insomnia and a brief bout of sexual dysfunction where it was hard to climax. I gained about 17 lbs. since starting it, but I also feel better enough to go out to restaurants and I eat out about 4 times a week. My exercise routine has also slackened due to lack of motivation. I suppose it could slow down metabolism, assuming the weight gain isn't entirely my fault (which I think it is), but even so, it's really not a deal-breaker considering how severe my anxiety was. Even though my dosage now needs adjusting, it has helped me lead a semi-normal life for the past year."

kevindcl July 1, 2018

"I started Paxil along with my twin sister at the age of 19 for severe, debilitating panic attacks/chronic anxiety. I remember we actually felt worse the first couple of weeks but our doctor told us to hold on and push through—that those sick feelings would go away. A low dose of Xanax also helped the first few weeks. I went without anxiety or an attack for 15 years. I weaned off of it for 8 months and anxiety came back. I’m back on 20mg. It took a couple months for anxiety to subside but it’s working like it’s supposed to again. Because I’m now 40 and having hormonal issues, I might have mild anxiety around my cycle. It’s odd when it happens. I have emergency low dose of Xanax for those times—nothing as severe as before Paxil. It has saved mine and my twin sister’s life. It’s a great medication for anxiety. Nervousness and anxiety run in my family as we are all high strung. I didn’t gain crazy weight because I’m an athlete and very active."

Painter June 8, 2018

"When I first started taking this I almost stopped because I seemed really out of it and I was having problems in the bedroom "

Lisaj80 January 19, 2018

"I starting having panic attacks around age 19 and I was & constantly heading to ER thinking I was gonna die. First I was put on a low dose of Xanax with only being told by doc that I was just a little anxious. It wasn't til I got pregnant with my 3rd son at age 28, that my OB/GYN knew exactly what I needed and put me on paxil. I remember after a couple of weeks of being on it, I woke up feeling like a normal person again. I actually noticed the sound of birds chirping outside instead of waking up in fear! I have been on Paxil now for about 15 years ( I got off of it for about 4 years and stayed anxiety free til I was robbed at gunpoint and anxiety came back) and it has truly saved my life!"

Pamela1970 (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2017

"I have buzzing in ears, very annoying also find it hard to sleep. Yet when I do sleep I can sleep for 10 or 11 hour"

Kalgje (taken for 10 years or more) November 1, 2017

"There was a history in my family or anxiety and panic attacks, but I had never experienced it until I was 55 (3 years ago). When it hit me, it hit me hard. It truly was the worst experience in my life. I went from being Mr. Optimistic to worrying about every ache and pain in my body. It was a living hell. When my doctor realized what was going on with me, he put me on 20mg of Paxil. I must say the first week on it was very difficult, but I believe it's because I wasn't told or didn't hear him tell me to take half a pill for the first week. After about 2 weeks or so, I woke up one morning and absolutely felt like I was on cloud 9. Not because it made me high, but because I felt normal again! I am now on 40mg and still feeling great!"

Tony in Florida October 2, 2017

"I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

"Lifesaver drug!!!"

Anonymous July 2, 2017

"Been on Paxil for about a month and I feel great...I'm on 20 MG but may need to go higher I'm not at 100%"

Jules3779 January 4, 2017

"20 years I've been on Paxil from age 31 til now, at 51 (with one year off with Effexor). I had ever panic attacks combined with depression. Its been a great it saved me. About 5 years ago I was tapering off very nicely without side effects. Then six months later I spiralled with another very, very dark depression, with intense anxiety. Wanted to die, but would never intentionally do it. Had to seek a psychiatrist who put me on non-SSRI's. I continued to spiral down. Finally went to another Dr who put me back on Paxil. I was extremely grateful as it got me better very quickly. I don't think I will ever try going off again."

CQ (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2016

"Works awesome!"

Juot October 18, 2016

"I'm an on day 16 of Paxil 10mg. For the past few months I have suffered from increasingly more frequent panic attacks and got to the point where I was afraid to go more than 20 minutes away from my "safe zone," aka my house. After about 4 days of the medication, I felt my anxiety had worsened and almost quit Paxil about a week in. I'm writing this today feeling almost back to my normal self and that's a great feeling! Hopefully the medication keeps working better til I'm at 100%."

AJ of PA October 4, 2016

"I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

"I'm super medication sensitive so I started out at 5mg for panic disorder. My doctor said there's no way 5mg is going to help, but after 4 weeks it was like a switch was flicked. I went back to my old self for 3 whole days. I had to come off of it due to uncontrollable neck jerking and head twitching. It's the strangest thing I've ever experienced. It's been over a month since I quit and I'm still doing it alot. Not as much, but seriously way too much. I hope this isn't permanent. Now I have panic disorder and neck jerking. Lovely."

Daedryth (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

"I started taking Paxil about 2 months ago and it have saved my life. However the first two weeks of taking it was hell. When you first start taking it, your serotonin dips slightly because the drug is trying to adjust to your system. I suffer from a panic disorder and my anxiety was so bad that i had several extreme panic attacks where I have had to call up an ambulance. This happened 3 or 4 times during these weeks and one happened whilst I was driving on the dual carriageway. However these weeks are worth it, i can't even remember how to have a panic attack and my self confidence is as high as it's ever been."

Lois27072707 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

"Paxil DOES work to stop panic attacks and general anxiety symptoms. I've had no panic attacks while on it. But my problem with Paxil are its' side effects. I was on Paxil for a few years and had gained weight steadily at the same time. I was trying to lose weight while on Paxil and was unsuccessful, but I didn't blame the Paxil. I went off of Paxil and changed nothing else in my routine & lost 25 pounds in 3 months! I ended up having to go back on it and gained ALL of it back within 1 MONTH. I tried to up my exercise and diet routine to make up for the Paxil, but I can't get the scale to budge more than 5 pounds down. Also, when trying to get off Paxil, the side effects are AWFUL. Wean off VERY SLOWLY! Worst, most addictive SSRI out there."

purplecandle17 April 25, 2016

"I suffered with OCD and anxiety since I was a teen but as I got older I started to develop fears that were never there before and panic attacks started to get more frequent.My doctor put me on paxil and within two months I feel great,the anxiety is under control and my OCD is gone with the fears it created. My side affects are about a 10 lb weight gain and it takes me longer to reach a orgasm which I consider a good thing haha. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from anxiety and OCD."

The Newf (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2016

"I've been on this medication for 2 weeks. I take 10 mgs once a day. The first week was kind of rough. Headaches, nausea, teeth clinching, extreme fatigue, blurry vision, things like that. The second week has been much better. I'm able to leave my house to go do things. I actually have been going to the gym and spending over an hour working out. After struggling to find the proper medication and being terrified to live my life since 2014, this medicine has truly helped me. I feel confident that I am on the road to recovery. The only complaint that I have is that my memory is still a bit foggy. I hope that in time that will clear up as well. SSRI's can be scary and have rough side effects but hang in there. It gets better."

kad1337 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

"My panic attacks stopped after two weeks of taking paxil. The relief was immense. A friend who had panic attacks also had her panic attacks stop after being on paxil for 2 weeks. She has been on it for four years. I have been on it for four weeks."

RelievedwithPaxil (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"I was having panic attacks all the time which morphed into a stressful state of depression. Yes, I was falling apart. I'd also lost a lot of weight, no appetite. I started on 20mg but wow, this stuff is strong! My pupils became super dilated, I looked like I was on mdma. I moved down to 10mg for a while then worked my way up to 20mg, then back down to 10mg. I got almost every side effect in the book: constipation, bizarre dreams, sedation, sexual side effects, sleeping ten hours a night, then taking two hour naps late in the day. BUT, the panic stopped! Wow, for the first time in my life I could go to movie theaters, and restaurants with no panic attacks. Gained weight back, it was great. Finally quit when my life was back in order."

Zentao (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2016

"I suffer from debilitating panic attacks. Just 10 mg of Paxil works wonders. I've tried almost every SSRI out there, but Paxil is the only one that works. Nothing else can touch my panic."

Cat65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I started Paxil 15 years ago after a stroke. Lately felt maybe it's not as effective my Dr switched me to 40 mg of celexa same as my Paxil. After six days on the new one I felt like I was having problems with weakness on one side and felt like I didn't have long to live etc. so got myself into a big panic attack. Back on Paxil for now feeling better."

Josie671 January 25, 2016