User Reviews for Paxil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Panic Disorder

"I starting having panic attacks around age 19 and I was & constantly heading to ER thinking I was gonna die. First I was put on a low dose of Xanax with only being told by doc that I was just a little anxious. It wasn't til I got pregnant with my 3rd son at age 28, that my OB/GYN knew exactly what I needed and put me on paxil. I remember after a couple of weeks of being on it, I woke up feeling like a normal person again. I actually noticed the sound of birds chirping outside instead of waking up in fear! I have been on Paxil now for about 15 years ( I got off of it for about 4 years and stayed anxiety free til I was robbed at gunpoint and anxiety came back) and it has truly saved my life!"

Pamela1970 (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have buzzing in ears, very annoying also find it hard to sleep. Yet when I do sleep I can sleep for 10 or 11 hour"

Kalgje (taken for 10 years or more) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"There was a history in my family or anxiety and panic attacks, but I had never experienced it until I was 55 (3 years ago). When it hit me, it hit me hard. It truly was the worst experience in my life. I went from being Mr. Optimistic to worrying about every ache and pain in my body. It was a living hell. When my doctor realized what was going on with me, he put me on 20mg of Paxil. I must say the first week on it was very difficult, but I believe it's because I wasn't told or didn't hear him tell me to take half a pill for the first week. After about 2 weeks or so, I woke up one morning and absolutely felt like I was on cloud 9. Not because it made me high, but because I felt normal again! I am now on 40mg and still feeling great!"

Tony in Florida October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

"Lifesaver drug!!!"

Anonymous July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Paxil for about a month and I feel great...I'm on 20 MG but may need to go higher I'm not at 100%"

Jules3779 January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"20 years I've been on Paxil from age 31 til now, at 51 (with one year off with Effexor). I had ever panic attacks combined with depression. Its been a great it saved me. About 5 years ago I was tapering off very nicely without side effects. Then six months later I spiralled with another very, very dark depression, with intense anxiety. Wanted to die, but would never intentionally do it. Had to seek a psychiatrist who put me on non-SSRI's. I continued to spiral down. Finally went to another Dr who put me back on Paxil. I was extremely grateful as it got me better very quickly. I don't think I will ever try going off again."

CQ (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2016

"Works awesome!"

Juot October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm an on day 16 of Paxil 10mg. For the past few months I have suffered from increasingly more frequent panic attacks and got to the point where I was afraid to go more than 20 minutes away from my "safe zone," aka my house. After about 4 days of the medication, I felt my anxiety had worsened and almost quit Paxil about a week in. I'm writing this today feeling almost back to my normal self and that's a great feeling! Hopefully the medication keeps working better til I'm at 100%."

AJ of PA October 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm super medication sensitive so I started out at 5mg for panic disorder. My doctor said there's no way 5mg is going to help, but after 4 weeks it was like a switch was flicked. I went back to my old self for 3 whole days. I had to come off of it due to uncontrollable neck jerking and head twitching. It's the strangest thing I've ever experienced. It's been over a month since I quit and I'm still doing it alot. Not as much, but seriously way too much. I hope this isn't permanent. Now I have panic disorder and neck jerking. Lovely."

Daedryth (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Paxil about 2 months ago and it have saved my life. However the first two weeks of taking it was hell. When you first start taking it, your serotonin dips slightly because the drug is trying to adjust to your system. I suffer from a panic disorder and my anxiety was so bad that i had several extreme panic attacks where I have had to call up an ambulance. This happened 3 or 4 times during these weeks and one happened whilst I was driving on the dual carriageway. However these weeks are worth it, i can't even remember how to have a panic attack and my self confidence is as high as it's ever been."

Lois27072707 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil DOES work to stop panic attacks and general anxiety symptoms. I've had no panic attacks while on it. But my problem with Paxil are its' side effects. I was on Paxil for a few years and had gained weight steadily at the same time. I was trying to lose weight while on Paxil and was unsuccessful, but I didn't blame the Paxil. I went off of Paxil and changed nothing else in my routine & lost 25 pounds in 3 months! I ended up having to go back on it and gained ALL of it back within 1 MONTH. I tried to up my exercise and diet routine to make up for the Paxil, but I can't get the scale to budge more than 5 pounds down. Also, when trying to get off Paxil, the side effects are AWFUL. Wean off VERY SLOWLY! Worst, most addictive SSRI out there."

purplecandle17 April 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered with OCD and anxiety since I was a teen but as I got older I started to develop fears that were never there before and panic attacks started to get more frequent.My doctor put me on paxil and within two months I feel great,the anxiety is under control and my OCD is gone with the fears it created. My side affects are about a 10 lb weight gain and it takes me longer to reach a orgasm which I consider a good thing haha. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from anxiety and OCD."

The Newf (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for 2 weeks. I take 10 mgs once a day. The first week was kind of rough. Headaches, nausea, teeth clinching, extreme fatigue, blurry vision, things like that. The second week has been much better. I'm able to leave my house to go do things. I actually have been going to the gym and spending over an hour working out. After struggling to find the proper medication and being terrified to live my life since 2014, this medicine has truly helped me. I feel confident that I am on the road to recovery. The only complaint that I have is that my memory is still a bit foggy. I hope that in time that will clear up as well. SSRI's can be scary and have rough side effects but hang in there. It gets better."

kad1337 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My panic attacks stopped after two weeks of taking paxil. The relief was immense. A friend who had panic attacks also had her panic attacks stop after being on paxil for 2 weeks. She has been on it for four years. I have been on it for four weeks."

RelievedwithPaxil (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having panic attacks all the time which morphed into a stressful state of depression. Yes, I was falling apart. I'd also lost a lot of weight, no appetite. I started on 20mg but wow, this stuff is strong! My pupils became super dilated, I looked like I was on mdma. I moved down to 10mg for a while then worked my way up to 20mg, then back down to 10mg. I got almost every side effect in the book: constipation, bizarre dreams, sedation, sexual side effects, sleeping ten hours a night, then taking two hour naps late in the day. BUT, the panic stopped! Wow, for the first time in my life I could go to movie theaters, and restaurants with no panic attacks. Gained weight back, it was great. Finally quit when my life was back in order."

Zentao (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from debilitating panic attacks. Just 10 mg of Paxil works wonders. I've tried almost every SSRI out there, but Paxil is the only one that works. Nothing else can touch my panic."

Cat65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Paxil 15 years ago after a stroke. Lately felt maybe it's not as effective my Dr switched me to 40 mg of celexa same as my Paxil. After six days on the new one I felt like I was having problems with weakness on one side and felt like I didn't have long to live etc. so got myself into a big panic attack. Back on Paxil for now feeling better."

Josie671 January 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder three years ago. I have tried ever antidepressant out there. None ever gave me relief except for paxil. I truly credit paxil for saving my sanity, and stopping most of my panic attacks. Although I still have anxiety from time to time, it is nothing I can't manage. I've been taking 40 mgs of paxil for about 9 months. I finally feel like my normal self again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on celexa for 3 years and just recently switched to Paxil ...for the short time I've taken Paxil I've noticed an overall improvement with my mood and willingness to go out and be social without having a few shots of whiskey to give me the kick I needed. I have a diagnosed panic disorder which is anxiety on steroids. I'm not sure just how well the Paxil will work months or years from now but I must say I'm feeling pretty good now."

Dougy22 September 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on Paxil late 1990s for panic disorders and depression...I am 5'6" and was about 118lbs. Stayed on Paxil about 4 years and came off because I wanted to get pregnant. It saved my life truly I felt great and I was able to enjoy driving again, going to the mall, able to take an elevator, able to stay at home alone, wait on lines at supermarkets, work without fear of losing it, etc. after coming off very slowly the good effects lasted about a year. However, while on Paxil I gained 60lbs. After my son was born in 2004 I had postpartum depression so again went back in Paxil it didn't work as good as the first time but it helped get me back to feeling just alright. Came off again due to more weight gain."

Dee art August 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"paxil is the best medicine for panic disorder. I can tell it will work within 15 days. Just be patient don't give up. Some people say they put on weight. I didn't put on any weight I've used it for 2 years almost. So it works different for everybody. Paxil stopped my panic attacks. Thank you!"

ashyuko August 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil helps me so much. I thank God for it. I've tried so many antidepressants and none work as good as Paxil. I would have terrible anxiety and panic attacks. Now I feel calm , confident and happy. It works. I did gain a little weight because it increased my appetite but nothing exercise and a heathy diet can't fix. I rather be happy anyway."

Overcome1633 June 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil literally saved my life. I have been on Paxil since I was 26 and I am now 40. Out of the blue, I started having severe panic attacks. My psychiatrist gave me paxil. From that day forward, I have not had any panic attacks. The only reason I gave this medication a 9 out of 10 is because, I gained almost 100 lbs on it. I have since lost 50 lbs. It is a great medication for panic disorder; however for depression, I would take something else."

Pizota (taken for 10 years or more) March 18, 2015