User Reviews for Paxil

Paxil Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Depression

"I have been taking Paxil since 1999 and have slowly had to increase my dosage to 60mg. Have been stable with that dosage for awhile now. I do not think I would of been here to this day with out it. I have HUGE anxieties and panic attacks back to back. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally after many different meds. These work. I know that I will always have to take these for Life and I am okay with it. My Father (RIP) committed suicide in 1996 and I refused to go down that route. I think that is what triggered my break down. I am glad that before my "breakdown" I chose not to have children. I am now 47 and very thankful that I made the right decision to not have children, I would never ever been pregnant and taking meds. Things happen for reasons"

Shelly (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

"I took this medication for depression and anxiety it worked like a charm. However the side effects were pretty crazy - Firstly I had trouble urinating on this medication, I had to concentrate really hard to pee, had sexual problems couldn't get "off". I also gained 15-20 pounds in 3 months, had a dry mouth, and once I got off the medication the withdrawals were really bad. Brain zaps, ringing in ears for 2-3 weeks after stopping the medication. Oh and this medication caused me to get sleep paralysis. Never had this condition before getting on paxil."

Jensen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2018

"I used this anti depressant for 12 months. It definitely improved my mood and helped my anxiety it also took away menopausal hot flushes. The down side however was that after taking it for about a month I became constantly hungry and have put on about 8kg of weight. The weight was mainly in the stomach area. I recently came off paroxetine by cutting the 20mg tablet in half for a week, then stopping it and going on to 20mg of lexapro. Within a few days my appetite was under control and I am able to eat a lot less. The side effects when I stopped taking it were headaches every morning however this may be because I have a few issues with my neck. I also got hot and cold sensations. Overall it was a good medicine for me"

Sootypie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2018

"It works by giving you energy (so called mild motivation) which is why is a big NO to people suffering with Bipolar because it triggers Mania. For me generally it works most of the time but I have to frequently change the dosage which is annoying because I have to stay in contact with my doctor almost all the time and your body needs adjustment of the dosage in order to keep track with your general mental condition. Its not only Paxil. SSRIS work the same. Just a big NO for me."

TJGR (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

"I had been on Paxil years ago for a very long time until it kind of “pooped out” and stopped working. After several attempts at trying to find another antidepressant that worked, I asked my psychiatrist to once again put me back on Paxil. Just a little over 4 weeks of being back on Paxil, the dark cloud that followed me lifted and I was able to see the sun once again. I didn’t give Paxil a 10 only because I experienced many sleepless nights when I first started it, but all in all, it has given me my life back."

Karina from Minnesota (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

"I've been on Paxil for about three months now, and it's been a welcome change from Effexor. I'm finding myself calmer, less aggressive, still have my bad days but they're not as bad. Family and co-workers have seen a noticeable difference for the better. Effexor numbed me out, I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy either and after awhile it just became less effective. So far with Paxil, I'm noticing better moods, actually smiling and laughing more so I hope it continues. Only downside I've noticed so far is some drowsiness, but it's manageable."

AmberDawnWpg January 25, 2018

"Do not take this drug. I took for six months it causes E.D . After stopping this medication for 3 years and feeling fine all of the sudden my memory and keeping train of thought is difficult. Not to mention the weight gain went from 160lb to 200lb, also anxiety is worse than ever"

Anonymous January 19, 2018

"I was on Paxil for a little over a year, and am currently weaning off. I suffer from depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety. I started Paxil at 10mg and went all the way up to 40mg, within the first couple of months. This drug did wonders for my panic disorder, PTSD, and anxiety, but made my depression worse! The reason I decided to stop taking it is because I didn't want to get out of bed anymore, and I gained about 60lbs since I started taking it. Funny they call it an antidepressant, when in the end it made my depression worse. I am trying Wellbutrin now... but I won't know how well that works until I'm completely off the Paxil in a couple weeks. The withdrawal is awful, even while weaning."

Amber716 December 9, 2017

"I used paxil many, many years ago when going thru a bad divorce and it worked very well. Then after a few years on this stuff it stopped working. Well here I am over 15 years away from these types of meds, I lost my son and went into a deep depression. Not really wanting to go back on SSRI's (paxil) I was convinced by my doc to try paxil again. BAD mistake, after using 20 mg for 5 weeks ...nothing! I went bac even worse! This stuff (paxil) is really BAD. I went cold turkey and went thru 7 days of HELL! But now I can finally say I am off of this type of stuff FOREVER ! and I'm feeling great. I started to look at the good things in my life day by day. This really works."

stuart l. December 6, 2017

"Ruined my nervous system and life. Have never recovered from the withdrawal after being on it 11 years. Diagnosed with M.E. / CFS 9 years ago. My stamina / physical abilities are severely limited as I withdrew far too quickly. Doctors do not stress the dangers of withdrawal. I have tried numerous recovery techniques but management of my symptoms is the best I get. My life has changed forever. If you withdraw do it very slowly. Learn from my mistake."

strata76 November 26, 2017

"I've been on and off SSRIs for years. Effexor XR and Zoloft caused gastrointestinal and sleep problems. Paxil which I started 6 months ago however has caused no GI issues, and it is for me slightly sedating. My mood has improved without the hypomania caused by other SSRIs. Prior to starting Paxil, I was in fairly deep depressive state. It was nearly impossible for me to experience a positive thought about the future. I also had moderate anxiety. In summary, Paxil might help anyone who experienced GI irritation from other meds, has trouble sleeping, and has some anxiety component to their depression"

CraigsTown November 25, 2017

"I've been on it for about 15 years. It was exactly what I needed to combat depression and the behavior that went with it. These days however, I find it makes me very tired. I can spend my entire day off just sleeping and retreating into dreams, almost like hiding. Maybe it's time to find a different drug."

PixiliciousG November 7, 2017

"I have been taking 10-mg of Paxil for over 20 years and began taking it after surgical menopause in my late 30's. Having dealt with depression/anxiety on and off since I was young, this really transformed my life. My career was very demanding and I was able to have a successful career until retirement a few years ago. I am a professional who worked under very strenuous circumstances and without this medication could probably not have done so. I did not gain weight but have been an exerciser most of my adult life which, incidentally, also helps a great deal with depression. Everyone is different and so is their reaction to medications. This is why it is so important to have a Dr. who continues to follow you."

Monasusie (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

"This worked well for my depression and anxiety too, but I was pretty zoned out on it. I slept a lot and struggled with withdrawing from it. Brain zaps for about two weeks while I was trying to sleep. It wasn't fun."

Shatswan August 14, 2017

"I didn't like paxil AT ALL! This really made me feel like crap, and made my anxiety depression and really dark thoughts worse, trying to get off of it was also rough."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

"After coming off Prozac and starting this medication, I gave it about 3 weeks. Worst antidepressant I've ever tried. No other antidepressant EVER affected me this way."

Suicide Watch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

"I have been on Paxil for 19 years, the side effects are becoming too much to bare so recently I attempted to wean from it, I became so physically ill and mentally disturbed I had to be hospitalized and put back up a dose to stop the withdrawals, now I have to take the liquid for to slowly wean off, it is worse then heroin withdrawal and methadone withdrawal both which I have over come cold turkey. I cannot get off this medication and it is sad because I want to have children but pregnancy is a no no while on Paxil, I'm 34 I've been on it since I was 15, I was put on it and never told anything about the addictiveness and withdrawals or any of the problems associated with it, it was a bandaid solution that has become a life long addiction"

Candicane_34 May 1, 2017

"The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

"I was given Paxil 20 mg for depression. I had not taken any antidepressant during my life. My greatest sadness was when my brother died. It stopped working. I know this med is NOT a magic pill. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse. I did NOT do ANY research on this med. My Family Practice MD told me to take 40 mg. Again, I took the med but didn't really feel well on this med. I gained LOTS of weight. I was put on the med because I was depressed and NOT eating. That changed quickly, when I started the Paxil. I finally decided that Paxil was not working for me, I was overweight and I decided to wean from this med. I started educating myself regarding Paxil. Paxil MUST be tapered/weaned. Med can't be stopped abruptly."

Idon'trecommendPAXIL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

"I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

"I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

"Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

"My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

"Got headaches and felt tired constantly so I switched to Prozac."

Alex858 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

"I've been on Paxil for about 30 days. The change in my mood has been positive and very gradual. Currently I take Latuda with Paxil at night. I'm not buzzing with joy but my outlook is positive and so I think the Paxil is doing it's job.... I'm just not sure."

SF Depressed Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017