User Reviews for Anafranil

Anafranil Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Anafranil to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

"been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

"I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!"

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

"I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 18/19, but I'd had intrusive thoughts from as early as I can remember. It just got worse to the point I was suicidal in my late teens. Anyway, luckily the psychiatrist I saw was able to diagnose me and prescribe me Anafranil. I can honestly say I probably owe my life to this medication. I took it for a number of years, before switching to sertraline. I find anafranil does make me drowsy, but the effectiveness of it is worth it at times. Not everyone can take SSRIs. I'd recommend trying this medication for OCD or other anxiety disorders :) Peace."

SarahAustralis (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

"I have been taking Anafranil 200mg for OCD for three months and it's not working. I'm getting severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts and tremors. My GP gave me diazepam 2mg for when I get really bad and that helps but last week he told me to stop taking it, and the psychiatrist told me to just ignore my thoughts and anxiety. I can't get into a private psychiatrist or a public one for a second opinion so I don't know what to do."

Wilbur77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

"Took this medication for 5 months at 250mg and it done nothing for my OCD and GAD. It actually made my anxiety worse. So glad to be off it."

Lala1234511 December 16, 2017

"I battled with OCD since being a child but I was only diagnosed after being hospitalised in my forties. I have been taking clomipramine at 250mg a day along with antipsychotics for the last 5 years. The intrusive thoughts that used to be so crippling have greatly reduced to a level I can handle. Clomipramine saved my life, literally, as I was hospitalised twice for attempted suicide. The only downside are the side effects, for me, as a man, the impotence and loss of libido are difficult to live with but it's a price worth paying."

Wolfman05 November 7, 2017

"This medication is absolutely life changing. After years of suffering anxiety OCD with mostly intrusive racing thoughts that caused insomnia this medication was a miracle!! I had tried so many failed medications and therapies that I became hopeless. I was prescribed this medication after being hospitalized and have never been back that was over 2 years ago. It took 4 weeks to work please give it time. I feel like I have my life back!"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

"I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen."

Shaedynn August 31, 2017

"After a long 12 years of being on Effexor XR my anxiety OCD was beginning to get worse, my GP felt it necessary to increase my Effexor to 150 mg and although I had done that in the passed Effexor was just not working anymore and actually began working against me, awful anxiety at night time and my OCD "I have pure-o" and I felt I couldn't get things under control, I had enough and it was time for change, I saw a different GP who was knowledgeable with Anxiety and he switched me to CLOMIPRAMINE/ANAFRANIL 50 mg to start, I only had a few bad days from the initial switch because Effexor can be nasty to come off but then my life came back and I feel great! Just remember nothing will rid you of OCD but this med is great to manage it!"

marko2751 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

"I've only been on this medicine for 3 weeks but it's already doing wonders. I still have "the thoughts" but they don't "take root" like they normally do. They come and go throughout the day rather than being ALL I can think about. My Dr is slowly upping my dose to 100mg, and I'm currently on 75mg and already seeing benefits. It takes a few weeks to REALLY start working so if you are on week 1 or 2 give it some time. It's been amazing at helping me fight my compulsions. It makes me really believe OCD is a MEDICAL issue. The morning is still the worst for me, when all my thoughts first hit me, but since I've started this drug, I can make it through the day so, so much easier."

LynnCtob3 June 12, 2017

"I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects."

Living my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2017

"I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years."

Anonymous February 15, 2017

"I have severe early onset OCD I have found that clomipramine (anafranil) has taken the edge off of it. I've been taking it for 4.5 years SLOWLY building up to 200mg but have found that the side effects of this medication to be too much, in particular the excessive sweating. I am regularly dripping with sweat to the point I have been asked if it is raining outside because I'm soaked. I'm thinking of coming off of it because the sweating is exacerbating the OCD as I now have obsessions about it and I'm constantly worried about people looking at me because I'm sweating so much, which isn't very feminine. I've tried to come off of it a few times but every time I do my OCD regresses into overdrive- highlighting how affective it is for OCD"

UK Bound (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

"1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016

"I was put on this medication earlier this year for OCD. I didn't really notice a difference other then it made me tired about a half hour after taking it. It did not seem to improve my OCD symptoms. However I do wonder if I was on a high enough dose. My doctor only had me on 50 MG and I have a high tolerance to med so I might give this another shot at a higher dosage. Also I was only on it for a few weeks I think."

micky2015 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"This medication was a miracle for my OCD like I swear my intrusive thoughts had almost gone! I was able to do things that I couldn't do with OCD! Sadly I couldn't continue it as I got a really bad side affect of low blood pressure! I wasn't able to do much during this time. It was worth a try though!"

Tay99 November 16, 2015

"This medicine saved my teenager from horrible OCD. 200mg at bedtime, dry mouth is the only side effect. Every once in awhile he will have an episode, but I am able to talk him through it. He tried every med, this was the only one that worked."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

"My husband gave clomipramine a try yesterday and as a side effect he got very violent and angry."

Cassnjosh February 14, 2015

"I take this medication for obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. This medication has been the saving grace of my life! The only side effects I have experienced are insomnia when I first started it or up a dose, but it goes away within a few days. And dry mouth. But I feel so much better freed of my obsessional thoughts I don't care! I take 150 mg a day and have been on it 5 years. No other medicine has ever been so effective for this long, and believe me I have taken everything you can name!"

Shannonld January 17, 2015

"I took Anafranil for only 3 months, it completely cured my 30 year obsessive compulsive disorder. Free of OCD for 15 years."

ocd no more November 16, 2014

"I have suffered resistant depression/anxiety on and off for 30 years and now I have obsessive compulsive disorder and intrusive thoughts. I started on Anafranil 15 days ago and my OCD/ intrusive thoughts have almost gone I'm on only 100 mg per day and I'm starting to get my life back and the medicines haven't reached their full effect yet, so at this early stage I'm happy to recommend this medication and I hope this helps anyone that reads this, thank you."

Vicki I won May 5, 2014

"I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for 26 years. I have tried different medications over the years. I was on Paxil for 10 years but I never ever felt totally well and I slowly stopped taking it and became very ill. I started taking clomipramine again seven years ago. Again it saved my life and I have been able to have a successful career. I take 250 mg a day. I hate the side effect of weight gain but I will never sacrifice my mental health to lose weight."

hapi February 9, 2014

"I started taking this medication 2 months ago, starting on 25mg but was too high as the side effects were bad for me so I started on 10mg slowly to 20mg and I think it has made a big difference. I am doing CBT too but the anxiety has decreased significantly. I suffer from intrusive thoughts and this helps it become more manageable and I feel that I'm living again!"

MelissaDutfield (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2014

"Anafranil has always worked superbly for my obsessive compulsive disorder and I have used this medicine intermittently for 30 years. My mistake has always been to completely stop when I feel well - it always comes back. Although an amazing medicine, the downside is that it takes about 8 weeks for the medicine to work and before that I usually feel worse. And the side effects can be a challenge."

mciain3 (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2014