User Reviews for Anafranil to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Anafranil Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Anafranil

Dev India · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

“Clomipramine is the best medication for OCD. I have tried paroxetine, fluoxetine etc but none of them works as much as the clomipramine works. I took it high dosages 75mg per day..now my OCD has gone. It would be also very helpful if you consult with a therapist..my doctors give me sleeping medicine first those doctors are fraud !!!!According to my experience just take the dosage regularly at a certain amount, you will be cured quickly! Good Luck ”

Opt November 27, 2019

“The best medication so far for OCD is anafranil. It’s completely cured my OCD. Remember OCD is just a medical problem due to unbalanced chemicals in you brain. It’s not you, it’s your brain sending you false messages. Don’t believe the obsessive thoughts, they may feel real but they are fake !”

accn · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 27, 2019

“Have had depression since a young teen and started to have OCD thoughts and compulsions at about 15. Tried several anti depressants which always helped (apart from Prozac) with my mood but never with the OCD. Psychiatrist said that anafranil was basically my last hope and I have been on it now for nearly 2 years. 25mg twice a day. My obsessive thoughts are practically gone and the anxiety around my compulsions is so mild. Never felt sick or sleepy starting on them either. Very hard to find this medication anywhere around where I live in Ireland. Always has to be ordered in advance.”

kellymcnamara1994 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2019

“Anafranil is AMAZING for OCD. I’ve tried Zoloft, Prozac and Luvox— but they all made me hypomanic because I have bipolar tendencies. Anafranil, however, has not done that, but rather almost cured me of my OCD (in conjunction with CBT)! I have intrusive thoughts maybe 2x a day or less! Before that they were constant (and so were the compulsions). OCD was ruining my life for 10 years and now I’m 24 and I’m feeling great :) I’m on other meds for depression and anxiety and ADD.”

Laura April 22, 2019

“It (anafranil) saved my life - I highly recommend it for OCD”

cbtodacb · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 5, 2019

“This medication was a life-saver for me after years and years of very, very horrible social phobia and terrible panic attacks (lasting hours) in relation to having committed the 'unforgivable sin' (something Jesus Christ warned of committing). My social phobia had begun when I was 15 years old and nothing had helped up until starting Anafranil at 23 years old. Had tried several SSRI's with no help i.e. Lexapro at 60mg daily for years. Anafranil (at a high dose, 12 x 25mg tablets daily) has completely taken my social phobia away as well as my 'unforgivable sin' obsessions. Has been effective for 5 years and is still very effective. Gave me my life back. I use in conjunction with 4mg of Clonazepam and 75mg of Lamitrogine daily.”

Eli · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2019

“This drug gave me my life back. After unsuccessfully being treated by various doses of Escitalopram and Paroxetine for nearly half a year my doctor prescribed Anafranil (Clomipramine is the generic name). What a difference it made! It takes longer to kick in, in my case precisely 4 weeks but it is well worth the long wait.”

Redgraves · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 29, 2018

“Anafranil has completely cured me of my OCD. I suffered from terrible intrusive thoughts since I was a child, however, I was not correctly diagnosed until adulthood. I have been on 6 25mg tablets a day and it has completely changed my life for the better. Before Anafranil, I was fearful to leave my house because I was scared of having awful thoughts about the people I loved. I have taken Anafranil for three years and I am so well I forget I have OCD. I can think of the thoughts that terrified me so much before and not feel anything. I can acknowledge that they are irrational thoughts and move on. I have had minimal side effects and in fact lost 45kgs while on the tablets (I was previously on Lexapro, which added 35kg). Different medication affects people differently but I can honestly say that I am finally living the life I always wanted to live and it’s all because of Anafranil.”

medtester · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2018

“If you're compulsively looking for evidence for why or why you shouldn't take this medication, stop right now and leave this website! Seriously. Been there many times. Anafranil is a promising drug for the majority of people with OCD and it's worth a shot. I gave it a solid 10 weeks and decided it wasn't the med for me (too many side effects such as fatigue etc and did not feel like myself on it). Feeling a little better w/o it so far (knock on wood), but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. The only way is to know is to try it, and it won't hurt you. Listen to your doctors, but always listen to your body first. If something feels off, don't ignore it. Your doctors want the best for you, but only you can truly know what's working and what isn't. Now, that said, take a leap of faith and stop researching. My personal experience with this drug should mean nothing to you.”

Pregnant Postpartum Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

“So I’ve been taking Anafranil for about 8 weeks now. I started at 25 mg and now I’m at 100 mg.. gradually moving up as time goes on. I didn’t have OCD until I got pregnant with my daughter and started having horrible intrusive thoughts that made me depressed. I’ve tried Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil and now this one. This has worked for the most part but it hasn’t “cured” anything. I still have my days but out of all the medication I’ve tried this has been the best. Thankful overall for this medication. Give it a try and try to remember these kind of meds take time to work. Sending positive energy to you all!”

User3030 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 12, 2018

“I definitely recommend Anafranil to anyone suffering from moderate to severe OCD. While on this medication I noticed a great reduction in my OCD symptoms and it had elevated my mood even. Though a few of this medication's side effects might be a little troublesome, generally you get used to it and it isn't life changing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2018

“I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it”

GeorgeL · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2018

“been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed”

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

“I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!”

SarahAustralis · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 9, 2018

“I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 18/19, but I'd had intrusive thoughts from as early as I can remember. It just got worse to the point I was suicidal in my late teens. Anyway, luckily the psychiatrist I saw was able to diagnose me and prescribe me Anafranil. I can honestly say I probably owe my life to this medication. I took it for a number of years, before switching to sertraline. I find anafranil does make me drowsy, but the effectiveness of it is worth it at times. Not everyone can take SSRIs. I'd recommend trying this medication for OCD or other anxiety disorders :) Peace.”

Wilbur77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2018

“I have been taking Anafranil 200mg for OCD for three months and it's not working. I'm getting severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts and tremors. My GP gave me diazepam 2mg for when I get really bad and that helps but last week he told me to stop taking it, and the psychiatrist told me to just ignore my thoughts and anxiety. I can't get into a private psychiatrist or a public one for a second opinion so I don't know what to do.”

Lala1234511 December 16, 2017

“Took this medication for 5 months at 250mg and it done nothing for my OCD and GAD. It actually made my anxiety worse. So glad to be off it.”

Wolfman05 November 7, 2017

“I battled with OCD since being a child but I was only diagnosed after being hospitalised in my forties. I have been taking clomipramine at 250mg a day along with antipsychotics for the last 5 years. The intrusive thoughts that used to be so crippling have greatly reduced to a level I can handle. Clomipramine saved my life, literally, as I was hospitalised twice for attempted suicide. The only downside are the side effects, for me, as a man, the impotence and loss of libido are difficult to live with but it's a price worth paying.”

Anonymous October 4, 2017

“This medication is absolutely life changing. After years of suffering anxiety OCD with mostly intrusive racing thoughts that caused insomnia this medication was a miracle!! I had tried so many failed medications and therapies that I became hopeless. I was prescribed this medication after being hospitalized and have never been back that was over 2 years ago. It took 4 weeks to work please give it time. I feel like I have my life back!”

Shaedynn August 31, 2017

“I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen.”

marko2751 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2017

“After a long 12 years of being on Effexor XR my anxiety OCD was beginning to get worse, my GP felt it necessary to increase my Effexor to 150 mg and although I had done that in the passed Effexor was just not working anymore and actually began working against me, awful anxiety at night time and my OCD "I have pure-o" and I felt I couldn't get things under control, I had enough and it was time for change, I saw a different GP who was knowledgeable with Anxiety and he switched me to CLOMIPRAMINE/ANAFRANIL 50 mg to start, I only had a few bad days from the initial switch because Effexor can be nasty to come off but then my life came back and I feel great! Just remember nothing will rid you of OCD but this med is great to manage it!”

LynnCtob3 June 12, 2017

“I've only been on this medicine for 3 weeks but it's already doing wonders. I still have "the thoughts" but they don't "take root" like they normally do. They come and go throughout the day rather than being ALL I can think about. My Dr is slowly upping my dose to 100mg, and I'm currently on 75mg and already seeing benefits. It takes a few weeks to REALLY start working so if you are on week 1 or 2 give it some time. It's been amazing at helping me fight my compulsions. It makes me really believe OCD is a MEDICAL issue. The morning is still the worst for me, when all my thoughts first hit me, but since I've started this drug, I can make it through the day so, so much easier.”

Living my Life · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 2, 2017

“I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects.”

Anonymous February 15, 2017

“I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years.”

UK Bound · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 9, 2016

“I have severe early onset OCD I have found that clomipramine (anafranil) has taken the edge off of it. I've been taking it for 4.5 years SLOWLY building up to 200mg but have found that the side effects of this medication to be too much, in particular the excessive sweating. I am regularly dripping with sweat to the point I have been asked if it is raining outside because I'm soaked. I'm thinking of coming off of it because the sweating is exacerbating the OCD as I now have obsessions about it and I'm constantly worried about people looking at me because I'm sweating so much, which isn't very feminine. I've tried to come off of it a few times but every time I do my OCD regresses into overdrive- highlighting how affective it is for OCD”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder