User Reviews for Anafranil

Learn more about Anafranil.

Anafranil Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Anafranil to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen."

Shaedynn August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a long 12 years of being on Effexor XR my anxiety OCD was beginning to get worse, my GP felt it necessary to increase my Effexor to 150 mg and although I had done that in the passed Effexor was just not working anymore and actually began working against me, awful anxiety at night time and my OCD "I have pure-o" and I felt I couldn't get things under control, I had enough and it was time for change, I saw a different GP who was knowledgeable with Anxiety and he switched me to CLOMIPRAMINE/ANAFRANIL 50 mg to start, I only had a few bad days from the initial switch because Effexor can be nasty to come off but then my life came back and I feel great! Just remember nothing will rid you of OCD but this med is great to manage it!"

marko2751 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on this medicine for 3 weeks but it's already doing wonders. I still have "the thoughts" but they don't "take root" like they normally do. They come and go throughout the day rather than being ALL I can think about. My Dr is slowly upping my dose to 100mg, and I'm currently on 75mg and already seeing benefits. It takes a few weeks to REALLY start working so if you are on week 1 or 2 give it some time. It's been amazing at helping me fight my compulsions. It makes me really believe OCD is a MEDICAL issue. The morning is still the worst for me, when all my thoughts first hit me, but since I've started this drug, I can make it through the day so, so much easier."

LynnCtob3 June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects."

Living my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years."

Anonymous February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe early onset OCD I have found that clomipramine (anafranil) has taken the edge off of it. I've been taking it for 4.5 years SLOWLY building up to 200mg but have found that the side effects of this medication to be too much, in particular the excessive sweating. I am regularly dripping with sweat to the point I have been asked if it is raining outside because I'm soaked. I'm thinking of coming off of it because the sweating is exacerbating the OCD as I now have obsessions about it and I'm constantly worried about people looking at me because I'm sweating so much, which isn't very feminine. I've tried to come off of it a few times but every time I do my OCD regresses into overdrive- highlighting how affective it is for OCD"

UK Bound (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this medication earlier this year for OCD. I didn't really notice a difference other then it made me tired about a half hour after taking it. It did not seem to improve my OCD symptoms. However I do wonder if I was on a high enough dose. My doctor only had me on 50 MG and I have a high tolerance to med so I might give this another shot at a higher dosage. Also I was only on it for a few weeks I think."

micky2015 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication was a miracle for my OCD like I swear my intrusive thoughts had almost gone! I was able to do things that I couldn't do with OCD! Sadly I couldn't continue it as I got a really bad side affect of low blood pressure! I wasn't able to do much during this time. It was worth a try though!"

Tay99 November 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine saved my teenager from horrible OCD. 200mg at bedtime, dry mouth is the only side effect. Every once in awhile he will have an episode, but I am able to talk him through it. He tried every med, this was the only one that worked."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband gave clomipramine a try yesterday and as a side effect he got very violent and angry."

Cassnjosh February 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this medication for obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. This medication has been the saving grace of my life! The only side effects I have experienced are insomnia when I first started it or up a dose, but it goes away within a few days. And dry mouth. But I feel so much better freed of my obsessional thoughts I don't care! I take 150 mg a day and have been on it 5 years. No other medicine has ever been so effective for this long, and believe me I have taken everything you can name!"

Shannonld January 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Anafranil for only 3 months, it completely cured my 30 year obsessive compulsive disorder. Free of OCD for 15 years."

ocd no more November 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered resistant depression/anxiety on and off for 30 years and now I have obsessive compulsive disorder and intrusive thoughts. I started on Anafranil 15 days ago and my OCD/ intrusive thoughts have almost gone I'm on only 100 mg per day and I'm starting to get my life back and the medicines haven't reached their full effect yet, so at this early stage I'm happy to recommend this medication and I hope this helps anyone that reads this, thank you."

Vicki I won May 5, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for 26 years. I have tried different medications over the years. I was on Paxil for 10 years but I never ever felt totally well and I slowly stopped taking it and became very ill. I started taking clomipramine again seven years ago. Again it saved my life and I have been able to have a successful career. I take 250 mg a day. I hate the side effect of weight gain but I will never sacrifice my mental health to lose weight."

hapi February 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this medication 2 months ago, starting on 25mg but was too high as the side effects were bad for me so I started on 10mg slowly to 20mg and I think it has made a big difference. I am doing CBT too but the anxiety has decreased significantly. I suffer from intrusive thoughts and this helps it become more manageable and I feel that I'm living again!"

MelissaDutfield (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anafranil has always worked superbly for my obsessive compulsive disorder and I have used this medicine intermittently for 30 years. My mistake has always been to completely stop when I feel well - it always comes back. Although an amazing medicine, the downside is that it takes about 8 weeks for the medicine to work and before that I usually feel worse. And the side effects can be a challenge."

mciain3 (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has worked really well for my severe OCD, depression, anxiety and panic. It stabalizes my mood too. The side effects are awful for me, though. Sexual side effects (like my genitals are numb) and severe constipation are the two side effects that keep me from being on a more therapeutic dose. At 100mg, the side effects are bad. At 50mg I'm OK in terms of side effects, but the benefits are minimal. I will be going up to 75mg and see how that goes. In the past I had been on 150mg and then 200mg. I had never been happier. I think I may have been too happy rather than normal happy, though."

helps me November 11, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 13 yo daughter is on this. None of the SSRIs worked to control her Obsessive compulsive disorder. Anafranil had been awesome."

AmateurParent (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works better on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder than on depression. Also helps one sleep and counters nervous diarrhea."

Nutcracker44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used Anafranil on and off for 30 years. Each time it has worked superbly. I stop and then start again about 2 years later, for a period of about 4-6 months. Presently taking 200 mg along with Beta Blockers - the best experience ever: I am happier, more confident and less anxious than ever in my life. Anafranil side effects are sometimes bad: loss of appetite, sexual dysfunction and blurred vision tend to him me badly. Also can take 2-3 months before they really work. But worth the wait, even though it feels for a while as though it makes you feel worse. Outstanding medicine - a life saver!!"

Maciain (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anafranil : Most likely the best medicine for obsessive compulsive disorder, overall. Yet each person has their own body chemistry/energy issues. Most people with OCD need about 100 to 200 mg at night. The key is to GRADUALLY go up in dose. This will give your body TIME to ADJUST to Anafranil. I am now up to 150mg, after 3 months and I am feeling much better. Much less OCD thoughts. Yes, sexual side effects...as with any OCD medicine. I used to take high dose Paxil for 8 years and it just wore out, OCD came back. I think I will try Anafranil 200 or 225 mgs, stay on it for a year, then see how I do as I try to wean down the dose to 50 or so."

Scottyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug was a MIRACLE for me! My problem was that I was always LATE for any and every little thing I attempted to do and it was ruining my life. It is VERY baffling for me because I started with only 25 mg and within FOUR days I was AUTOMATICALLY, not just on time, but EARLY for everything, without any thought or effort! I was ecstatic. This phase lasted 3 weeks. The doc said I'd be a Super Woman when she amped me up to 50 mg. Well, that made it STOP working! I began to slowly regress, and then started to be extremely drowsy to the point of even falling asleep at the wheel -- and worse, it wasn't even working! We experimented with it but it NEVER worked again and I am super sad about that."

Luahna (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has been a miracle for me. I suffer from extreme OCD that had left me at times in a state of paralysis and constant fear. This medicine gave me back my life. It will not get rid of all of the OCD for you, but it will make it 90 percent manageable. The Dr who gave it to me was old school. None of the SSRIs worked for me. They were like sugar tablets. This one does. Highly recommend you speak to your physician about it as an option."

Anonymous December 16, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have/had severe OCD. I have been on citalopram, Zoloft and Prozac. I was started on 150mg Anafranil and within what seemed no time at all my OCD disappeared. Prozac did work for OCD but not on clinical depression. I am now on 200mg. I have had no weight gain (nor did I have on SSRIs). I get a dry mouth sometimes but counteract this with a anti dry mouth toothpaste."

Aud1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2012