User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: PROzac, PROzac Weekly, Sarafem, Rapiflux, Selfemra, PROzac Pulvules

Binge Eating Disorder

2.7

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.6 1,263 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Prozac levels have to build up in your body so REAL effects don't show up for over 4 weeks. Of course that doesn't mean it will agree with every body. The only relatively fast effect I had with this med was improvement in my ability to fall asleep and the quality of the sleep I got also improved within 2 weeks. Early side effects were appetite loss, a slight increase in breakouts (face), excessive yawning, desire for alcohol decreased but increased interest in recreational mari, stomach upset, headaches. Sounds like a lot but every med has its acclimation period. This one is just particularly long. After about 2 months, it helped me recognize and face my depression, and manage my anxiety really well. But, latent side effects for me were increased appetite, decreased libido, worsening brain fog, and stomach upset. Prozac did what it was supposed to do and I would try it again, but for now I'm testing the waters with other meds to lessen SEs."

ValleyDoll February 20, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I hope you will understand me because my English is not perfect, so sorry for that. Before everything you should never use antidepressants without doctor’s surveillance. I did this mistake and I literally ruined my life . When I was in high school I was obsessed about girls. I mean I hadn’t any anxiety or panic attacks but just I couldn’t talk to girlfriends like others which was making me upset sometimes. Actually my story is so long and complicated but I want to say that you shouldn’t take anxiety pills for just foolish problems. Because after , you can ruin your life. These suggestions are especially for young students like me. You should start and quit taking only on the recommendation of professional advice."

anxious turk (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I wasn’t sure how to rate it and here’s why. I have major depression, panic disorder and OCD which this should help all these things.. Well I’ve been on it for 6 years now & there have been two instances where I tried to stop this cold turkey and it was the worst decision I’ve ever made. Withdrawal symptoms didn’t occur until 17 days in because this drug has such a long half life. However my body was so sick and weak. I was vomiting and nauseous and could barely eat anything. I couldn’t sleep at night and it was like I had restless leg syndrome. Worst thing I EVER had to deal with; good thing I was out of work both times this happened. I was so incredibly ill that it scares me so bad that I will be dependent on this drug for the rest of my life. I’m 25, don’t have any children yet. I don’t actually know if this is helping me but all I know is that every time I try to withdraw my doctor doesn’t recommend it and both times have been an actual hell."

allltheproblems (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Hey there! 29 year old gay man vet tech and future DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program ). Lost my fiance 2 days ago due to spleen injury/rupture. Doctor put me on 20 mg of fluoxetine and 0.5mg of klonopin as needed,no side effects for now,I'm just praying this will work..."

lukavettech (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2019

For Depression: "Within about 1 week I was feeling so much better. I felt like every problem I encountered was so much less scary. My whole mind cleared up. My personality flourishing, I was on top of the world. After a while it did dim down just a little but still very happy with the medication and feel healthy. Try to approach any medication with an open mind. You will always find reviews online of people stating their horrible side effects and experiences but it truly does depend on the individual and there are great number of people out there who benefit from the same medication that did not work for someone else. If your doctor is recommending fluoxetine then trust their opinion and understand that if it does not work out, you can always make a change. Unfortunately part of dealing with depression means you need to test out different medications to find your sweet spot. It’s hard, scary and frustrating but it is the only way to get to the best medication suited for you."

Mjaguar February 12, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I have just started today on 1 x 20mg for hot flushes and I feel lightheaded "

Ymg February 10, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’ve been on 20mg for two weeks now and I FINALLY feel like I have my life back. I suffer from pure Obsessive Compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts and it got to the point where there was nothing else I could think about. At one point I thought the only way to stop this was suicide. The only side effect I’ve been dealing with is a bit of hyperactivity (tapping my foot or fingers) and sometimes I don’t have an appetite. This drug is a miracle for those with pure O."

Lexy (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Relieves anxiety slightly, not enough to render you a functional human being and definitely not worth the side effects."

dordeduh (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I wish I had been on this medication sooner in life. I have always been a highly sensitive person, Prozac has allowed me to feel a sense of "normalcy". I don't overreact as often anymore, I am more at ease socially. I don't have as drastic of mood swings during "that time of the month". I am easier to get along with in my relationships, I sleep better and wake early. I am energized and have dedicated myself to the gym since I started this medication. I have tried lowering my dose from 20 mg to 10 mg and I do not find it to be effective. I will likely be on this medication for life as I feel it improves vastly my quality of life. Side effects are a mild dampening of sexual desire but I take Maca supplements and that helps."

Jess33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Was on 20mg for 2 years. Tried increasing to 40mg, but the anxiety side effect was just too much. Very easy to withdraw from a long half life."

Pocariboy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I'm finally living my life again and not just surviving. Thank you prozac."

TS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication has truly been life changing. I suffered from severe anxiety for years. After taking this medication for a month, most of the anxiety and intrusive thoughts disappeared. I take the lightest dose 10mg, and have found that it is just enough for me when used in conjunction with mindfulness techniques that help keep anxiety at bay. I will say, this medication made my appetite disappear completely. Lost 15lbs very fast once I started taking it."

SouthernFlorida February 2, 2019

For Depression: "From taking this day 1 my personality changed, my mood worsened, I had insomnia and breathless attack’s. Doctors gave me beta blockers just made the depression worse. Managed to take 4 days worth before I had to stop. Took 3 days to get out of my system once I stopped, was a horror show. Husband had to take time off work. My behaviour on these pills has had serious ramifications at work."

Julie (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I suffer in the past from panic disorder and anxiety. I try so much drugs like lexapro, paxil etc. Only Prozac makes me feel happy. Thank you science Thank you Prozac. I take 20mg Prozac every morning."

Itchy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I’m in the menopause so was having hot flushes, low mood etc. I’ve tried 4 lots of HRT all made me have heavy prolonged bleeding so Prozac was my last hope. It works. Hot flushes not nearly as bad, low mood gone. The other symptoms of menopause are still there but a lot easier to cope with now. I do have nausea in the morning after taking the pill and it makes my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) worse but I can cope with that. Feel so so much better"

Jul1962 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on this medication many years. tried several medications before this one with no relief. My dosage can vary depending on where my head is at. My doctor also gives me a couple other medications for the side effects, which help. Without it I am completely unable to function normally. If you're just starting on your mental health journey, have patience with the process and be honest with your provider so they can get you where you need to be. The first year was not easy, but I had a great doctor who walked me through the whole process (doing a lot of hand - holding). This gave me hope. If your doctor is a jerk find someone else. When you start on these medications there can be some really funky side effects. You should be able to call your doctors office any time you need to discuss them. Ask for more frequent appointments of you feel like you need them. A good provider will offer them and keep asking you tons of questions to help you get better."

Well January 27, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I love prozac. Life saver"

Ffs January 27, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "27 year old male. I have been taking fluoxetine since July 2015. That's over 3.5 years. It's never lost effectiveness. I have severe obsessive compulsive disorder. It made my life unliveable. Nothing is perfect. But I've tried nearly every class of antidepressant on the market and I have tried all SSRI's. It holds 1st place for the amount of conditions it treats and its efficacy in each. Only reason I give a 9/10 is because 10/10 would be a complete eradication of my disorder. I will add that health-related OCD(some call it health anxiety or hypochondriasis) responds magnificently to this medication."

anon (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 27, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I suffer from harm OCD/intrusive thoughts that honestly took over my life. Prozac gave me my life back and after suffering for 13 years, I now have no intrusive thoughts and my OCD is almost non-existent. This is a miracle drug with little to no side effects, except some mild insomnia. It takes time for the effects to kick in so give it some time, it took about 4-6 weeks for me to really feel a change."

Al January 24, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Anyone thinking about going on Prozac DON'T DO IT! Unless you plan to take one month off work. But trying to come off is a nightmare so you become dependent on Prozac. I took it for seven days then enough was enough I had every side effect. I also lost my job seeing as I couldn't focus on small or let alone big tasks. The first night not taking it I experienced headaches so bad I thought my head was going to explode...I also had uncontrollable leg movement and jaw locking. I didn’t sleep until 6am in the morning and woke up at 3pm. I will say though I did experience myself becoming overly happy on the third day. Hopefully I feel back to my normal self within a week"

Samantha (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Dr tried me with Prozac. First 8 days were bad. Severe nausea no appetite and worsened anxiety. After reading everything I could on the net, I stuck to reading just the positives. Made my mind up to stick with it as I think so many give up too soon. Now day 11 and the fog is definitely lifting. My last 3 days have been so much better. Think of it as a journey and rate each day out of 10. Write it down..day 1 I scored 3 so pretty low..day 2-5 scored 2!! Today I’m a 6.2 so please don’t give up on this med. I may score 5 tomorrow but I WILL NOT stop taking it. I believe in it and that gives me a positive attitude towards my recovery. Even if it is a placebo effect, I’ll take that any day over depression and anxiety. I’ll never be a 10 but the high 7’s will do just fine."

Potty (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Only side affect I had were vivid dreams but they were tolerable. Really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I am a 58 year old female with depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I tried a lot of different antidepressants during my bouts. Nothing really worked for the terrible panic attacks I was having. My doctor put me on 20mg. Prozac. The side effects were bad for about 3 weeks but the fourth week it really started to work well. I am still on it for 2 months now. It works. So don’t stop taking it because of the terrible start up side effects such as, anxiety, low appetite, fatigue, yawning, terrible stomach issues, insomnia and blurred vision all cleared after 4 weeks. I feel good now and I will continue to take it."

Roseosey (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I’ve been taking Prozac for 1 year now. I started with 20mg. The anxiety and obsessive thoughts were still there. My dr decided I should go up in the dosage to 40 mg. And it helped tremendously. I would say the side effects while being on the medicine was gain weight, and unable to orgasm. After 8 months of being on 40 mg she suggested to try 30 mg and that was definitely a game changer. I am now able to reach orgasm normally. The first three weeks my sleep was still disrupted so she prescribed me trazadone 25mg. I took that for the first two months and it helped me. I don’t need it anymore."

Mrs.H (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I took fluoxetine for over 10 years starting with 20mg. The initial side effects were not that bad for me but I did have a constant need to yawn for a week or two. After a month or so I did feel like I was more relaxed, nothing huge but the worry was definitely less so I stuck with it. If you are just starting fluoxetine make sure to take it with a lot of water, if it starts to dissolve in your throat it will give you heartburn. About 8 years in my anxiety had increased so my GP raised me to 40mg which was horrible and my anxiety went nuts. I stuck with it for a few weeks hoping it would get better but it didn't so I went down to 30 then back to 20 and stayed there for a couple more years with little effectiveness. I finally quit fluoxetine about a year ago with no withdrawal and I felt great until recently so I am going to try another med."

Lowdown January 10, 2019