User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 29 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 944 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I used prozac in the past for 3-9 months twice and had no side effects apart from some headache for a few weeks. Now I have been on it again for 3 weeks and this time I am suffering SEVERE side effects. Physical ones include heavy fogginess/head pressure, sleeplessness, muscle tension, blurred vision and loss of appetite and weight loss. Mentally I have also worsened. Anxiety is really high, especially in the mornings, feelings of hopelessness an inability to cope with life, suicidal thoughts (that I never really had before), inability to focus/read and feel motivated. Now at 3 weeks I have some moments in the afternoon of feeling calmer but it is rather unpleasant numbness. I hope it improves going forward, but it has been very tough."

lulondon (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I am a different person when I'm on this, and in a good way. It helps me keep stable. The first time I was on it, I got really sick and felt terrible. I tried it again on a lower dose and built my way up and now I'm doing well on it!"

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "Has not worked for my belumia. I still throw up almost every meal. I don't throw up after taking it because I know I need it."

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "after about 3 weeks on prozac, or as I like to call it CRAPZAC. I was more depressed than ever before. Before crapzac I had only considered suicide a few times, But after my 4th week I actually attempted it. Thankfully my sister found me and brought me to the hospital, where they asked if i had been on any medication, and ordered me to stop taking it. And I was trapped at the hospital in the psych ward for 9 days, having 2 sessions with the counsellor every day, strapped down to my bed for the first few days, and not allowed to use the bathroom for 2 days, this stuff made my life into a living hell. After being released, I have now started seeing a therapist and now I've been practicing yoga and meditation, with no meds, and I feel great"

sallygally (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I have been on Prozac for about 4 months. I started on 10mg and was moved up to 20mg when I was still reporting anxiety. I have had panic and heavy anxiety attacks for over 15 years and finally decided I was done suffering. At first I was very nervous about starting the medication but once it kicked in about 3 weeks into taking the 10mg I was convinced that I needed to take this medication. I obviously have some disorder that ramps up my body and creates physical sensations that are not "normal". Since being on 20mg I am feeling a ton better and I cannot pin point any drawback thus far. Sexually I have no issues so far and aside from a momentary spaced out feeling I feel great."

Ian K (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Aged 41 I spent every day thinking that I had cancer first finding a lump in my stomach and after GP told me this was nothing I was fine for a month or so until I then thought I had found a lump in my groin, I couldn't take anymore and broke down in front of my wife due to the exhausting worry. I had always been a worrier but this was more and was taking control of my life. I couldn't go out of the house on my own I was irritable and depression was taking hold. GP prescribed me Diazapam which helped like a sticking plaster and I was then put on 20mg Prozac. Please give at least 7 weeks to work and you do feel worse before feeling better! Trust me! Brilliant."

Steadyhand March 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "At age forty I started screaming at my kids and my husband was so irritating during my cycle. I can laughingly say I wanted to kill people because I know I wouldn't ever hurt anyone. But man I started screaming my head off at my family. So bad in fact that I started locking myself in my bedroom during "that time. " For days. My doctor prescribed Fluoxetine 10mg 1 by mouth every day for 7 days before the onset of my period. I no longer scream at my kids or feel like strangling my husband. YAAAY. Been about 6 months, no side effects that I've noticed."

Wendiworm March 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This was prescribed for my 14-year-old's anxiety/depression and panic attacks. It turned our lives upside down, my daughter was on it for three terrible weeks. It increased her anxiety and the severity of her panic attacks by a lot. The black box warning happened, my daughter was suicidal on several occasions. We did gene testing during this time (Genomind) and it showed she would have an adverse reaction to it. Took her off of it and within two days she felt much better. Genetic testing should be protocol for all doctors prescribing these meds, and please be cautious giving your teenager anti-depressants."

Never Prozac Again for Us (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffer from major depression/anxiety. I would cry, panic, and feel negative about everything. I tried Lexapro in my teens and it worked great for me. However, when it returned years later my doc suggested 20mg Prozac as it would be more "energizing". The first 2-3 weeks were unpleasant side effects such as fatigue, increased anxiety, and insomnia. After the 3rd week up until the 5th week I did gradually feel better, I didn't cry or really feel depressed anymore. However, at the 6th week it seemed to stop working, I began to feel more anxious than depressed again, and felt very uneasy all the time, plus I experienced digestive issues. Also, I feel no more energized whatsoever. Prozac helped me somewhat, but it didn't really do it for me."

Dorfman (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Hello All, I decided to post my experience with Prozac to support others as well. I was suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Prior to this I had no prior history from my mental disorders, so this was all new to me.. ( it was also interfering with my life, work, social life) I decided to see a psychiatrist. She Recommended Prozac. The first 4 weeks it was really tough. I had really bad nausea, I had constant headaches, I felt like my brain was being rewired, I felt out of it, I couldn't sleep well. Once I hit the 5th week and beyond everything started getting better, I have been on for 4 Months on Prozac and I feel like my old self, I feel normal again and all the symptoms are gone and the anxiety and panic attacks are gone."

LILYF March 7, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Take one 60mg dosage of Prozac around cycle day 13-14. Just one dose of the 60mg has effectively helped me with my severe PMDD symptoms."

D Duck March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have been on 20mg for four weeks so far. I am not really sure how I should be feeling. I went for recheck yesterday to see if any improvement. Since I've only had one cycle since it's hard to tell if working. Asked my husband to monitor my moods this month with me to see if it's working. Did anyone else take this long to kick in? My dr said by week 2 I would have noticed."

MyLife123 March 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on prozac for mild depression and mild OCD. The dosage kept increasing over the years as it was less effective, until I was on 80mg for the last five years. I had to come off it as it gave me tinnitus and then hyperacusis (severe). I tried other medications which made this much louder... and it has remained even though it has been 2 years off all drugs. Coming off the prozac was so traumatic, my anxiety was so extreme I had a complete nervous breakdown, was paranoid and my ocd became extreme. I now have permanent hyperacusis, tinnitus, anxiety, severe OCD. I cannot leave the house and live in hell. I cannot hear any music AT ALL as it gets stuck in a loop. prozac has absolutely ruined my life"

sadlittleowl (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am a male early 20s, I suffer from major depression, anxiety and occasional panic. I started Prozac 20mg and now in my 5th week of treatment. The first 2 weeks I felt no relief, suffered from side effects such as fatigue, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Beginning of the 3rd week I began to feel a noticeable difference. My thoughts became less negative, I just felt less depressed/anxious than usual, and side effects have almost gone away. Then into my 3rd/4th week I began to feel better and better each day. It seems much more gradual than other antidepressants. Now into my 5th week I do feel MUCH better. However, it is still early for me and I have had 1 set back caused by excessive alcohol/marijuana use. Overall, stick with it!"

MDA51 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "It has really helped my depression. I used to cry a lot, not want to do anything. I'm much calmer about stressful things & less irritable. I thank God for this medication & the who started me on my meds!"

Jensue February 28, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi, I've been suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and sometimes depression but not serious depression, for around 3 months now due to an experience I had whilst taking MDMA. I had a panic attack the other night that led to me calling an ambulance because I felt faint, fast breathing then when the paramedics arrived my arms went numb due to my fast breathing, so I decided to see my GP the next day and he prescribed me with fluoxetine. Its now coming up to the sixth day of me using this medication and I kind of feel myself calmer, but this is only the first week. It was a kind of last resort thing to start and use medication so all fingers and toes crossed that I, and hope many more can overcome this anxiety and stress problem!"

Saul1 February 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Admittedly, when I started Prozac and up until I stopped taking it, I was not very honest with my therapist on my emotional state, so I never changed medication despite it's lack of effect on me. I was taking it to help with my depression and anxiety, and it didn't help with either. It didn't have any negative effects on me, but it didn't have any positive effects either. I had started at 10 mg, went up to 20 mg, and finally 40 mg. For each one, it seemed to help at first but wouldn't after around two weeks. Although it wasn't right for me, I know that it's been quite helpful to friends of mine and it wouldn't hurt to try it out yourself."

Anonnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I can't remember the exact dose but it was low. It Caused insomnia (4 hours sleep a night), feelings of giddiness and weight loss (14lb/1 stone) which was a positive for me. Because of the insomnia I came off it and was put on 25g Amitriptyline. With this medication I have 9 - 10 hours sleep, dry mouth and a HUGE increase in appetite for sugar and carbs. But my depression seems to be a bit elevated."

NoNameGirl (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Starting it I had a bad headache for about 8 days. On day 3, I contemplated stopping, I felt unfeeling, like I wasn't myself, but stuck with it. Those feelings passed as well as the headache. I didn't feel any symptoms of PPMD the first 3 months. After that, I would say I feel 80% better during my episodes. I fear it will get worse each month, but it is tolerable. I feel that dark cloud want to return, but it never gets too bad. Will be asking my doctor if I may need a bump up in dose from my starting dose. So glad this medication has evened me out."

Momoffourboys188 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I felt I needed to come back & leave feedback. I started using fluoxetine 6 weeks ago. I was scared to try, had read so many bad reviews. It was horrible to start with, like a waiting game. Waking up every day to see if it had 'gone'. Slowly I felt better, saw improvements and now into my 6th week I'm feeling like my old self again. I had bad nausea, weight loss, insomnia when starting meds. I was ready to give up after 3 weeks. I'm so glad I didn't. I suffer with bad anxiety & depression. I find driving difficult, felt faint, couldn't stand in a queue. Supermarkets were a no go, restaurants, I found myself staying in the house. In the last week I've been out, driving little trips but every day and I feel so much calmer. Don't give up!!"

Nikki1201* February 16, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been suffering from anxiety and paranoia for about 6 months now. The past month has been extreme with constant thought that I'm going to die, when health wise I'm perfectly fine besides needing to lose a few pounds. It has gotten to the point where every ache and pain makes me think something is wrong with me and that I'm going to die. I fear being alone with my 8 months old the most. I fear something will happen to me and nobody will know and my baby will be alone in the house until daddy gets home. I tried almost everything except medicine because I am scared of side effects. Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I've had the prescription for 2 weeks and been holding off. I finally gave in and started today. Your posts give me hope."

MIC89 February 16, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This medication was terrible. The warning about "initial" anxiety was concerning , but I figured I would give it a go anyways. This was a horrible mistake. My anxiety was so bad that I had tremors in my arms and legs and lost 2 lbs in only 2 weeks of taking it."

Stardream February 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi everyone, I was recently put on fluextine 20mg . I started with 10mg for one week then for the last 2 weeks I've taken 20mg at bedtime. I feel very anxious , agitated in the mornings and wake up with dry mouth and feel náuseated. Has any one had this experience, and how long where you on it when you started feeling better less anxious. I take hydroxizine 25 mg at bedtime too , and Pepcid . Thanks !"

help100 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "The first 4 weeks on Prozac were awful. I had zero appetite, vivid nightmares, horrible night sweats, and a very short temper. But all of a sudden when week 6 rolled around, I felt like a new person! I was the "old me" again. It felt amazing to hear my family tell me they could notice the change in me. I'm a much more productive person now! I'm thriving at work, and I'm so thankful I found this drug."

Carmen S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017