User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: PROzac, PROzac Weekly, Sarafem, Rapiflux, Selfemra, PROzac Pulvules

Binge Eating Disorder

3.1

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.5 1,289 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Prozac was prescribed to our 15 year old for dysthymia & suicidal ideation. Being drug sensitive it was a difficult decision to make on her behalf. It turned out to be the worst decision. Psychiatrist told us to push through the side effects, which included a day time hallucination, teeth clenching, eye pain, hand tremors. We got to week 8. Suicidal thoughts increased and became more compulsive frightening our child. We are now withdrawing and visited a different GP who advised meditation, yoga & exercise as well as precursors for serotonin that are amino acids from health store - which no medical profession tells you about before trying Prozac . She has also found a different counsellor. For teenagers, I would consider other options before this medication if any drug sensitivities. Or if can afford it, get genetic drug screening done to eliminate potential for it not working and adverse reactions. Worth not going round in circles being a drug guinea pig!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Given 10 mg a day. Addressed some depression issues but has done absolutely nothing for my hot flashes/night sweats."

Barb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "I was very hesitant to start on this medication as I have been really active in a recovery program and do what I can to alleviate depression and anxiety through practicing mindfulness and reaching out for help within my social network.. but I also suffer from a severe case of bulimia which has persisted for over a decade... First couple days side effects were a little intense, no appetite and trouble sleeping for a night or two.. but I have to say that this medication is truly helpful for my obsessive preoccupations with weight and food, as well as social anxiety (definitely see why people who have general anxiety would NOT do well on this need, it makes me a bit more uppity) and mood stability. Side effects subsided and I still work a program of recovery every day... I highly recommend therapy and healthy living practices in conjunction with this medication, it can work!"

Layla (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I was first on fluoxetine for panic disorder but I had to discontinue because I had bruxism (jaw pain and teeth clenching) and since then I have been on Lexapro (escitalopram), Vortioxetine (Trintellix), Remeron(mirtazapine) and nothing has helped. Last week I decided to give fluoxetine (prozac) another chance and I've never felt better. I love fluoxetine for giving my life. I also take with Lamictal (lamotrigine) because I'm also bipolar and so far things are so good."

Karwankareem April 5, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Started this medication on Thursday last week it is now Tuesday, have been feeling myself again really happy and actually laughing at little things that I hadn’t been weeks ago, also suffer from anxiety and have felt that I have felt really calm over the past few days and haven’t been worried. Have been finding it a little hard to switch off at night but pharmacist said it could interfere with sleep that will pass, also today (day 5) I have been feeling quite nauseous and that I don’t have much of an appetite when usually I eat a lot and always feel hungry. I can only put it down to the tablets I was warned these could be some symptoms so I will push through and hopefully they stay working well for me and the sickness and sleeping improves."

Getting help (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I tried so many drugs for so long, but nothing worked as well as Prozac has. I spent month struggling to get out of my house on other drugs, but with Prozac I can go out again. It seems almost unreal! I’m so grateful for this medication and I hope someone else can get this help too!"

Jorts Borby (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 2, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I started having disabling panic attacks 3 years ago to the point where I went to the ER multiple times-ruined my social life & neg affected my career. I tried therapy, exercise, diet change, all of it- helped some, but did not cure it. Finally I caved & started prozac at 10mg. I had a panic attack the first time I took it because I was so worried about the side effects. But I actually experienced zero. Yes I had an upset stomach/headache etc. for the first few days- but I already had those things!! (From the anxiety). Within a week of taking fluoxetine I was feeling better, within a month world's better. I titrated up to 20 mg over the next six months & have been on 20 since. I have had maybe 1 true panic attack in the last 2 years & it didn't last but a few mins & I was quickly able to calm down and go back to my life. This has been an absolute life changer for me: back to my old social life, sleep better, traveling, less headaches/stomach issues, significant drop in resting HR."

canteven March 29, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I have Major Depression and Panic Disorder. It seems like every anti-depressant and benzo I have tried just does not work. My Dr. has now just prescribed me Fluoxetine (prozac) 10mg, to go along with my Klonopin 1mg that I had been taking for 6 years (I eventually developed a tolerance to my Klonopin, so it stopped working properly). After being on Prozac for nearly 4 months now, I have gone through horrible side effects of nausea, diarrhea, insomnia and head exploding syndrome. I am in a constant fog. I get confused very easily and 'space out' all the time. The only beneficial thing I have gotten out of taking Prozac is that I have somewhat better control over my emotions."

LOLCoolJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on this fluoxetine for 5 months,I don't think it did a lot for my depression but it definitely gave me more energy and improved my concentration. I am taking 40mg fluoxetine along with 150mg Efexor."

Nicolas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I suffer with GAD and OCD. Before taking this medication my intrusive thoughts were so bad I was struggling to get out of bed and face the world. I'm not sure how anyone can suggest (as read in a previous review) that this medication is a placebo effect. It’s has real side effects at the beginning which did increase my issues, but once in my system my intrusive thoughts have virtually disappeared and my anxiety manageable. I was extremely poorly and had no control over my thoughts. Just wanting something to work wouldn’t have worked for me. Fluoxetine really works and has also helped me lose weight. Brilliant stuff."

Anxious Annie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: ".Prozac is wonderful, but because of some sexual side effects I can't give 10."

Tomnik (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I am on my 6th week on prozac and I can't believe how much this medication has helped my panic disorder. I went from having up five or six panic attacks a day to having only one very minor one this week. I have also experienced probably 90% less derealization and disassociation episodes in the last three weeks. My hypochondria is 100% VANISHED!!! I was so scared of the side effects I obsessively read reviews on this site and many others but I had none except a minor loss of appetite the first week. I noticed a change in energy by the end of my first week. Its not that I have euphoria or experience no moments of anxiety but they pass faster, I don't immediately catastrophize and I am beginning to believe that even if bad things to happen to me I am strong enough to get through them. I used to cry multiple times everyday and I haven't cried once this week. I really hope it continues to work for me!"

Lemons (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was put on Prozac 20mg for my anxiety and stress but it made me GET OCD. Worse anxiety. Hands started twitching. Couldn't hold my phone. Dr. upped my dose to 30mg (because of increased anxiety) and the muscle twitching and tremors got so bad I just stopped taking it. Did nothing for anxiety. Felt worse ."

Imnotlikethem March 15, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started Prozac 10mg after finding out Zoloft caused me no improvement whatsoever. After almost 1 week of taking prozac I started really bad diarrhea couple times a day, after 2 weeks my pupils started really dilating and this caused me to not concentrate on my driving and I almost felt my I was about to loose my conciousness. I was really holding on to not actually because I didn't want to get into an accident. This drug is just not for those people who can get really sensitive to extra serotonin in their body, like I was. I would really recommend talking to your healthcare provider first. If you ever took any antidepressive meds and how you reacted to them in the past. Because this could be a life threatening drug to your life and everyday daily activities causing you to not have a good eye coordination and behavior ☹"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Depression: "SSRI'S are all the same, they have been proven by Irving Kirtch that they are the same as a placebo. Check out "Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect" Most of the people on these Drugs have been palmed off by there Dr's because the FDA have approved the drugs after 2 successful trials not mentioning the other 8 negative trials. It is corruption at the highest level. These poor men and women in there 30's stuck on these awful drugs that they think are going to make them better, but its not in any pharmaceutical companies interest to cure this or any other multi million dollar industry, wake up and smell the coffee people. "

Truth Person (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2019

For Depression: "I had to come off fluoxetine because all I got from it were very unpleasant side effects that I can only describe as electrical body shudders. I don’t think they were visible externally but internally they were very strong and extremely unpleasant. I’m in the UK so can’t comment on insurance covering the drug as that doesn’t apply here (at the moment!)"

Cherry123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been taking Prozac for roughly a year. Before that, I was on Lexapro for a year but switched due to weight gain. Where do I begin? This pill has given me confidence, more social ease, allowed me to live my life more freely and openly and not panic at the slightest inconvenience. I can go with the flow. I'm more regular, I sleep better, it's as though I was missing something and this is it. An additional bonus I've found, which I can find no information on is that it has made my hair grow thicker, faster and fuller. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?"

Mandy1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I was prescribed this drug for anxiety. I had really bad reaction. From the first pill I felt nauseous and had a terrible headache. On third day I had a panic attack, dizziness, I didn’t feel like myself. It was really scary. I stopped this medication and I experienced the side effects for a few more days."

Ana March 6, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking Prozac in October 2017 after trying Wellbutrin and Vistaril. The Prozac though has been the first and only antidepressant to remove the “heaviness” I feel weighing me down when depressed. I took Prozac for a year at 20mg, and when I was functioning the best I had ever done so in life, I decided to try life without it. I went 6 months with no medicine and relying only on meditation, but I found myself going back down into that dark place. I “lost it” at every agitation, got angry a lot, had suicidal thoughts without the Prozac. Now, I’m getting back on at a 10 mg dosage. It’s been 2 days and I already feel calmer and able to handle life again. Plus, there seem to be no weight gain or sexual side-effects at 10mg. I honestly feel like I can’t function like the “other half” do without an antidepressant. So, needless to say I highly recommend Prozac. It adds a calm to my life I wouldn’t have otherwise which allows me to live my best life."

Anonymous March 6, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I'm 27 and I suffer severe PMDD, rage, mood swings, irritability, depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety. I decided one day, when I was PMSing severely; punching things, crying and breaking things, it was time to try meds. Long story short, I gave prozac a shot. It was great for a few months. I stopped crying, I was calm, anxiety has been to a minimum. Well it's been about 4 months and I'm now weaning off my meds because of the side effects. I can deal with excessive yawning, but now I am breaking out on my inner elbow, the back of my legs, my ears and neck, my chest feels heavy. One day I had horrible pain in my chest and throat like I was having a heart attack. I have no allergies, I don't smoke, I eat healthy, I sleep well, etc. the meds stopped working, I suffered PMDD this month as if I wasn't even on medication. I am going to look into herbs and natural remedies"

Tot March 4, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Guys if I could I would get 0 stars. This drug gave me very dangerous neurological side effects similar to Multiple sclerosis. I got twitching of my eyelid and in all my body, I got tremors and also shaking, big insomnia with an effect weakness, fatigue. Also I wake up every morning with numbness of my fingers. I stopped using it after 14 days. I found some articles that Prozac may be toxic on your cell in the brain. Horrible. That was my 4th drug for my depression in 3 months, I said enough and no more, these things are very dangerous for your body even is presented everywhere as a lifesaver. I bought something natural Maca for energy, Rhodiola and Ashwagandha and these seriously work! No side effects!"

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started having really strong suicidal thoughts. I saw a psychatrist and he diagonised me with OCD and said there's no depression inside me I doubt it. He started me on Prozac and Risperdal. I struggled for 1 year long. I decided to change the doctor. He said not to leave Prozac and add one other medicine called effexor. I finally found out that only the brand Prodep Olimelt and Lamez ( Brand name of Prozac Zyprexa and Lamictal in Nepal) work best with each other. No other brands can be used.I am now currently on 150mg Efexor XR( Australian Brand) Prodep 20mg 2 capsules( Nepalese Brand) Olimelt 5 mg ( Nepalese Brand) and Lamez 100mg ( Nepalese Brand) and I am living a life. So if you are suffering from any mental just go to Nepal and ask a psych to take Prodep 20 mg capsule Olimelt 5 mg tablet and Lamez 100 mg Tablet( Remember lamez 50 mg tablet doesn't work well with this combo so just 100mg Tablet) doesn't matter whatever dose you are on. Good luck !!"

Reesub February 26, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was having horrible PMS, starting with hot flashes , some anxiety, all because of being perimenopausal . Doctor put me on 20 mg. Now side effects include headache which I had EVERYDAY FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS. If you stay with it they do go away after two weeks , I promise . Now my PMS is basically gone , hot flashes much much better , and no anxiety. Plus I don’t eat a lot now and lost some weight. Plus I’m not irritated by every little thing anymore . Only down side is you really don't wanna do anything . I don't wanna clean ( which of course is necesssary). You are really just very content to watch a movie or just chill ."

Sabo February 25, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was having the worst irritability with my PMS, especially on the 7th or 10th day before my period started. Felt like I was being a terrible monad wife, just felt so angry and grouchy. Thank God my doc helped me by giving me prozac for the symptoms. My irritability disappeared, and when she followed up with me I said, "I can't believe how nice I am!", which is kind of depressing in itself but it illustrates how terrible I felt before. No more grouchiness with my poor kids. I have been able to lower my dosage to 10 mg, starting 10 days before my period. Feel so great, like a dark cloud has been lifted and I do not dread PMS anymore. I am writing this to encourage other women out there to try this if you are having "crazy days" before your period! BTW, I did feel some nervousness as a side effect when I first started taking it... was at 20 mg per day, but that has all but gone away. Oh yeah, and it has also helped with my premenstrual headaches."

busy mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I took this medication for 2 months for body dysmorphic disorder and my breasts grew three cup sizes. I can’t exercise or fit into my old clothes, and I have back and neck pain. It has exacerbated my BDD. I am so afraid I am going to get breast cancer now. It is extremely disturbing, and I am terrified. I have been off it for over a year and they have not gone down. This was not listed in the literature and there was no indication of permanent side effects. If this starts happening to you while taking this medication, please be aware that you could be stuck with it for life. I wish I knew or I would have stopped it immediately."

Sallyforth (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2019