User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 2 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 829 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Excellent medication usually works great have no complaints when used for depression only."

Sweetgirlmeg (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication is very useful and helpful in my opinion for depression but on the other hand it does not work nearly as well for anxiety. Would recommend for someone with depression but not for someone with anxiety."

Sweetgirlmeg August 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I took my self to the hospital because my life was (and still is) falling apart. But after I took Prozac, I started the feel a bit better. But just as someone here mentioned, after I took it my mind felt empty, for example, since before I went to the hospital, thoughts of self hatred, self loathing and plenty of suicidal thoughts took up 90% of my brain each day. but since they were gone due to the medicine, my brain was unsure how to react. The worst thing in the world could have happened to me and I wouldn't do anything just smile. But it felt weird. But I did feel a strange sense of optimism while on the drug. I'm NEVER optimistic, always pessimistic. I stopped months ago. I think I'm going to the hospital soon anyway.. I feel it."

Vanessa0207 August 24, 2016

For Depression: "I improved a lot when receiving 10mg after 2 months of treatment. When the dosage was increased to 20mg symptoms worsened and I had suicidal thoughts."

nieku (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Clencing of the jaw and bladder irritation are severe sideffects I have been having since starting fluoxetine, most if perimenapausal symptoms diminished however, side effects are quite severe."

Suzy b (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have had selective mutism (an anxiety disorder) since I was very young. I am 19 now. In grade 5, I started taking fluoxetine. By the end of the year, I was talking to all the girls in my class. I felt more confident. I could order by myself at restaurants now, something I wasn't able to do before. There are still some people I don't talk to, but I talk to every new person I meet. Fluoxetine has improved my quality of life and I am happy now. I have been taking fluoxetine for 5 years now and I can't imagine what my life would be like if my doctor and my mom ( a pharmacist) didn't recommend it when I was 10."

Anonymous_7081 August 20, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I began taking Prozac in January 2016. I started out on 20mg. I noticed a positive difference in my mood (less irritable and happier) after only 1-2 weeks. After about a month I bumped up to 40 mg and things were still great. I did really great on it as far as side effects go, I had none. Things were great for 6 months and then it sort of just stopped working. my doctor bumped me up to 60mg but it did nothing. I built a tolerance for it and recently switched to trintellix. Overall, Prozac worked really great until I built a tolerance for it."

GG827 August 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Disclaimer: this is MY personal experience Started Prozac at age 19 after issues with Effexor and after a few months I felt on top of the world--the happiest I had ever been. This was short lived. After 6 or so months something inside me snapped. Sex drive=0. My conscious turned into someone that wasn't me. Never heard voices before but they became overwhelming/evil & I couldn't shake the suicidal thoughts. I ended up quitting cold turkey as I noticed myself double dosing, then triple dosing. My sex drive is still 0, I've gained a ton of weight, and have been dealing with severe depression without meds because I'm scared to take them again."

Agirlandhercats August 16, 2016

For Depression: "To start off let me tell you the first 4 weeks were HELL! The side effects were awfully. The first 2 weeks being worst then the 3rd and 4th... I came very close to stopping the medication. By the 5th week the side effects got less and less everyday and suddenly somewhere around the 6th week I woke up and felt like santa clause on steroids. My depression was 100% gone. I was my better self. I was even better before the depression hit years before. I have been on every antidepressant in the book and they all turned me in to a couch potatoe junkie. I had no motivation and no energy. I almost lost my job.... then I went to the doctor and he put me on prozac. It saved my life! !!"

Kidkdh August 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I feel fantastic I feel a massive change in myself I'm less aggressive anxious depressed and agitated I'm more patient with things and people as I suffered with social anxiety I'm more outgoing and thinking clearer I feel on top of the world and have lost 13kg as my appetite has decreased rapidly"

Shellsheree August 14, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Well looky here. I wanted to see what was going on with my body and found these interesting posts. I have been having some issues that are sending me to oncology and talk of leukemia. About 2 months ago I stopped going on Prozac just to clear out my body with a few different meds. Night sweats were one deal that my oncology doc brought up (I have the mutated gene for all the ! and ? to go up about leukemia, but have not had the bone marrow test yet, only because I am a wimp) and I have flashes throughout the night, but she is saying sheet wetting sweats. Not them, but i am ripping off my sheets like I just had my hysterectomy back in 2001. WHY I HAVE flashes is beyond me, but that Prozac apparently took control of them, so am back on."

Karen in NC (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I starting on Sertraline 3 years ago and felt that my body had got used to it and wasn't getting any effect after a year. My GP then put me on Fluoxetine 20mg. To start it took about 5-6 weeks to really begin to feel calmer and less sensitive to daily stresses and I had an amazing sleep but the effects began to wear off after a year. My GP then increased my dose to 60mg as I was going through a really stressful time at work and couldn't cope. Thankfully work has been better and I've changed my role but I've started to feel really depressed and have been having suicidal thoughts which I never used to have. I have really vivid dreams and I'm starting to get home from work, take the dog out, make dinner and once all my chores are done then I g"

Scottish1975 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "26 y/o male no history of depression but some acute episodes (a few weeks back in high school). Began taking 10 mg prozac daily 3 weeks ago after struggling with major depressive disorder following job loss, relationship break-up and move back home with family. After 3 weeks have noticed marked improvement in mood and wellbeing. I would HIGHLY recommend to someone who can also engage in healthy diet, aerobic and anaerobic exercise, healthy social life and some engaging work. Thank you prozeezy!"

Overcome2016 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Wow... My energy and mood is completely stable. I feel completely normal- no side effects. Actually feel like I can accomplish things and am more apt to jump up and initiate something. No irritability at all. I am amazed and wished I hadn't let the bottle sit in my medicine cabinet for 2 years, fearing side effects and unwilling to swallow my pride (and a 10 mg pill). Hopefully this construes. I am very happy."

Jgroovy (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "20mg/day of fluoxetine works wonders for my PMDD. I found it to be so beneficial that I asked for a daily prescription, rather than 2 weeks per month. Only drawback was inability to orgasm, which I felt was detrimental to my physical relationship with my husband. I switched to Wellbutrin as a daily antidepressant. Found it to be very motivating and with no sexual side effects. After 6 months on Wellbutrin, though, I started to notice that my PMDD was creeping back in, and I was more irritable/snappy than before on a daily basis. Now I am experimenting with daily Wellbutrin plus 2 weeks per month of fluoxetine. Last cycle went really well. I think fluoxetine is a miracle mood stabilizer. If only it weren't for the sexual side effects!"

Meg2134 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on fluoxetine for 3 years and 4 months ago I decided to stop taking them after I thought I was ready to get on without them. I had often forgot to take them so I thought oh well I've weaned myself off them. Big mistake! I have gone through so much mind blowing experiences in last 3 months. Now been back on them for 6 days on 20 mg and I will be happy when I stop feeling how I do at the moment. Never thought I'd be thinking I'd gone crazy and feel like the whole of lincolnshire have got this one big conspiracy theory going on against me.lol I know ! Crazy but that's how my head is thinking at moment. Thank you for reading this and i do hope it makes sense to you if you going through this same thing it will get better."

Tallyd2 August 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I haven't been on this drug for long, but I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was recently switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug."

Xelleld (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

For Depression: "Saved my life ! Give it time ..works wonders for anxiety and panic"

TD72 August 3, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Fluoxetine/prozac 20mg for depression/anxiety. Within 4 hours of taking it at 4pm I truely felt better by 8 pm and happier not sure it was the meds at first or believing it to be working?,had done a lot research before taking it positives and negatives so have an open mind about prozac,certainly felt better quickly after initail dose!. First 2 weeks slight headaches,bit spaced initially,groggy,dry mouth,difficult concentrate,but I did feel like this whilst depressed! Now 3rd week its kicked in after 2 weeks and I feel calmer relaxed able to think clearly not foggy mind feel focused happier motivated. This drug has dealt with anxiety&depression,100%,I was worrying everything,sleep is OK now,no sexual dysfunction yet!. Good luck."

Jack.... 60yrs old... uk. (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was put on Prozac (20mg) for severe OCD and anxiety 2 years ago and took it for a little bit over a year and it helped tremendously. I was dumb and stopped taking it and over the course of 5-6 months my OCD and anxiety slowly got worse to the point where I had been when I first started taking the medicine. I just started back up on it about 3 weeks ago and the first week on it was bad for me. I had lots of anxiety and suicidal thoughts. But here recently I'm starting to notice some improvement in my anxiety. Don't stop taking Prozac just because you feel better. I found out the hard way and it's not worth it."

pr72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was placed on the generic of Prozac 6 weeks ago. I have social anxiety (always have) and my doctor told me that it was related to an OCD/depression and could possibly be PTSD. All of this confused me but made sense at the same time because I have always suspected all of these. She told me prozac would greatly help with my anxiety problems. Since being on prozac the only changes I have really noticed are extreme fatigue during the day, lessened appetite (which is good because I have been overeating for a while), and I feel like it has helped my relationship a bit. I don't seem to get as agitated as fast (but i have bad days sometimes). I do however feel like I zone out a lot now and forget what I'm saying sometimes."

NursC16 July 30, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Well my diagnosis is hard to explain... The doctor says that I'm bipolar but in all actuality I'm on a bad high. I'm always extremely hyper (or anxious) but have all the symptoms of depression! I have lack of concentration and I am not able to keep things in my head straight, like starting one thing before finishing the other. I am now on day 12 of 20mg and almost instantly I could tell a difference when I started talking it. But mind you I'm also on deprekote and at the same time he upped that dosage by 500mg! But I'm so much calmer now and I am feeling so much better. And I'm in this for the long haul. The side affects were very minimal for me, out of 12 days just two days my stomach has hurt but the others I really felt very full ."

Kb67 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I am 25 years old and I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for most of my life. My GP prescribed me Fluoxetine 20mg and I have been taking it for 2 months now. I could see results within the first 2 weeks - things that bothered me everyday were slowly diminishing. It's not like they weren't in the back of my mind but it's almost like a wall was keeping me from thinking about those issues excessively. Essentially I don't care about petty things anymore and I am genuinely happy now! I still have anxiety/panic attacks but they are not as extreme as they once were. I did have side effects initially: indigestion, headache, fatigue, weakness, yawning, loss of appetite, and nausea. Those have diminished greatly now."

knew4897 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication did not work for me at all. It could possibly be because I don't metabolize SSRI's very well but I could not feel any sort of change when on this. It helped a little with my minor OCD which I why I stayed on it for so long but after awhile it just triggered what my doctor said was an underlying mood disorder because I started flip flopping between being content or even emotionless, and being severely depressed. This medication did not help me but I'm not going to say it wouldn't work for other people. I just couldn't take the side effects."

Sydney8445 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2016

For Depression: "Started on fluoxetine a month ago, 20mg. Felt very tired the first week and nothing else. Just started taking 40 mg a few days ago. My wife swears she notices a difference, says she doesn't feel like she's walking on egg shells around me anymore. One thing I've noticed is things I used to dwell on, I can now think about them but now put them out of my mind relatively easy. Before the meds I would dwell on things, couldn't escape the negative thoughts. Things that are out of my control don't haunt me nearly as much"

Axelrodpp July 28, 2016