User Reviews for Fluoxetine

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.5 1,361 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Emmy · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for about 2 years. Helped me 100% With my anxiety and panic disorder. Recent break down has caused me to up my dosage to 40mg and I am currently going through the initial side affects again. Staying strong because it does help and will be worth it. Main side affects for me were/are shaking, loss of appetite and severe nausea If your going through this please stick with it fluoxetine saved me the first time and now hoping my dosage being put up will pull me back up again. Never give up"

MyDogIsAwesome July 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have suffered from MDD for 4 years before I got my diagnosis. By the time of my diagnosis, I had mental breakdowns every night, was completely withdrawn from all friends and family, and my grades went from straight A’s to straight D’s. I was tired, numb, and sick. I tried to kill myself twice. Then I started Prozac at 10mg and then up to 40 mg. Three years later, I was finally able to get my life back together. It takes several months for Prozac to take effect. For me, it was an entire year. For sure it’s no miracle cure, but I was less empty and less tired. Prozac is not a happy pill. It won’t fix your problems. It won’t make life seem infinitely better. It won’t undo the damage. Nothing will. It will only give you the opportunity to make everything better again. And for me, that was opening up to others and seeking the help I needed. I'm doing better now. Prozac did it’s job. Now I have to do mine."

LA · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I started taking 10 mg of Prozac on April 24, 2019. It has been the worse experience of my life! The first few weeks I felt wonderful, but then upper lip started getting red bumps, sores on my lips, weird taste, sensitivity to spicy food. My lips are still somewhat swollen. Lips horribly chapped, mouth dry. Anxiety attacks like I’ve never had before and now depressed. I need off of this rubbish now. Waiting till Thursday to see my doctor."

Rose · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on this medication since I was 13 years old. It has worked great although the side effects after being on fluoxetine for so long are not so good. They are terrible vivid violent nightmares, and heart palpitations. I can deal with the side effects because this medicine helps me function. I am currently at 40mg."

berry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 15, 2019

For Depression: "I took fluoxetine 20mg for 8 months and long story short - it was alright. I knew I wasn't completely satisfied with it but didn't want to mess around with things while I was completing my final year exams at uni. This drug did somewhat improve my mood and capacity to feel motivated and lessened suicidal thoughts and behaviours. However it did cause considerable fatigue and I was napping every day but unable to sleep at night. I also had a few serious depression crashes despite taking it consistently. I spoke with my doctor and I knew I felt like I needed a higher dose to help manage my mood but didn't want an increase of side effects. She suggested a change to venlafaxine which has been fantastic for me."

Liam July 15, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "After a few months on Prozac, I no longer the depressed version of myself that I was before Prozac. Happiness was something I rarely felt, and now feel daily - and I was never excited by anything ever, and now am so positive and excited for my future plans and goals! I do feel almost ‘cured’ of major depression. The first couple of weeks were a struggle, and I did feel worse before I felt better - I felt more dark and depressed than I ever have - so it’s very important you have a plan in place if this does happen, a friend/counsellor/doctor you can talk to for example. I then felt very numbed out and had very low libido, which lasted a couple weeks but did also stop for me. My libido is still less than it used to be now, but for me it’s not an issue as I was annoyed with how high it was before. Side-effects included, Prozac has been life-changing for me and I am now excited to move country and start a new job, something I was absolutely terrified about before. I wish I’d tried it years ago!"

Princessdan2017 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

For Bulimia: "I've been bulimic for more than 10 years by now. Binging and purging up to 15 a day. Cost me a fortune!! I was put onto fluoxetine 2 months ago whilst I'm waiting for my eating disorder referral to come through"

Lukaswithak93 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 14, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I’ve been taking Prozac for 2 1/2 years now. I started in the September 2017 at 20mg, stopped in October 2018, and restarted in January 2019 at 10mg. As of July 2019 I’ve increased to 20mg. Prozac makes me feel “normal” every time, especially the 20mg. It’s amazing! What’s odd is the first time I took it I gained weight and loss sexual function; however, this time I seem to be losing weight and sex isn’t impaired. I wonder if stopping and taking it again changes how the body responds? Overall 10/10."

Cam · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 11, 2019

For Persistent Depressive Disorder: "I went through a litany of cocktails like just about everyone to try and help my persistent depressive disorder. Fluoxetine has worked the best so far in almost 20 years. But I am medication resistant so going on 5 years off and on. Weight loss was a good side effect."

Scarface · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "40 mg helped calm my nerves"

Tony45 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Prozac 80mg, Lamictal 200mg, & Klonopin 2mg are a great combination for my MDD. Works Great!!"

Meat Toboggan July 10, 2019

For Depression: "I was very skeptical of taking any form of medication to treat my depression. I thought if I just knuckled down and fought with wits I could beat it, but when I stopped going to uni lectures, leaving the house altogether and tried to take my own life my family and I knew we needed to take the next step. Prozac was the first medication proscribed to me and after only a month it has worked wonders! I have energy, motivation, feel joy and see the world again in a way that I’d completely forgotten about. I feel hope and want to try my best at anything and everything! It’s not a cure, but it’s certainly allowed me to see past the darkness that enveloped my every waking moment. There are some downsides, sleep deprivation being the biggest, but I’m taking steps to work around it. Not all drugs work for everyone, but Prozac has certainly worked for me."

Karni July 8, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "Before I started taking this drug I gave myself anxiety reading bad reviews. I never really allowed myself to believe I was depressed because there were always people who “had it worse”. I never allowed myself to believe that my seven years of bulimia and anorexia were a problem. When I became depressed again this year, after years of fighting I decided to take the plunge. I was prescribed 20mg and went up to 60mg in three months and have stayed here for the last four months. It was within two months that my friends noticed a difference in my personality. I was happy. I laughed. I felt confident in myself for the first time in a decade. I am lighter. Prozac, for me, has saved my life. Yes, I also eat healthier and go to therapy and try to meditate - but without this medication I don’t know where or who I would be. I lost myself for many years and I found myself again thanks to this medication. If your doctor has prescribed it, trust that advice and trust this review."

Kim July 7, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I’m 30 & was battling clinical depression. I was initially prescribed 10 mg of Prozac 2 months ago. The first day I took it was almost like I’d taken a sleeping pill. I FINALLY could sleep, but it didn’t make me “sleepy”. I actually had way more energy. My anxiety slowly stopped. I slowly had happier thoughts. After a month my dosage was increased to 20 mg and the first week of that I actually started feeling a little depressed again, but after a week and a half my mood elevated. I started getting involved in activities again. I started hanging out with my family and friends again. I make an effort to do my hair & makeup, work out, work on goals... I’m back to me. I’m truly happy. Prozac saved my life... for real. I feel a part of this world again when at one point in time I didn’t want to be a part of this world. It works, it just takes time. You will feel like nothing is happening for a while, but one day you’ll just be happy and you’ll actually notice it."

Elizabeth July 1, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "My daughter ttook 5mg of Prozac for four days before deciding to stop using due to horrific side effects. Day 1 was wonderful, no anxiety with just a slight headache. Day 2 brought on severe nausea so bad it was painful and the dark feelings of depression and crying uncontrollably (she previously had zero depression), along with “static” feeling in her brain. The morning of Day 3 woke with feeling as if she was on fire, nausea and nightmares (again never previously had nightmares). Day 4 included all of the above topped with panic attack. She stopped taking it. The last 5mg dose she took was a Sat night at 6pm. We ended up in the ER on Monday due to waking up Monday morning with such an extreme panic attack that she was inconsolable and almost passing out. After 5 hours straight of this we ended in the ER where they gave her a shot of Ativan to calm her. Was told the half life is 1-3 days since she had only taken 4 so praying tomorrow is better."

Beck · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder 2 months ago and have been taking Prozac ever since. I haven’t felt any different whatsoever, I still can not find the motivation to get out of bed or even leave my house. It’s different for everyone I suppose, but hasn’t worked for me at all."

B · Taken for 10 years or more June 29, 2019

For Depression: "I took Fluoxetine for over 15 years. For more than 10 of those years, it truly helped. However, due to my worsening anxiety and real life circumstances, its effects became fairly nullified the past couple of years. Though I think that's partially due to how long I was on it (btw, dosage was 20, then 40, then 60mg a day after the first 3 years). When I first took it, after about 2 weeks, I felt even keel, meaning the extremes in my emotions were calmer, easier to put myself beside. Worked great for the time. Side effects were running hot (sweat so easy) and less sex drive, but yay less extremes and didn't suicide."

Catwoman · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 29, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Prozac saved my life. It has given my joy and the opportunity to live life to the fullest. Initial side effects weren't easy but worth persevering. I am finally enjoying life."

Maddie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was off work for months due to the awful side effects of 4 different anti depressants that I was given for anxiety/panic attacks and mild depression. I thought nothing would work and was almost resigned to handing in my notice. I was certain Fluoxetine would be no different but am here to say a huge THANK YOU BECAUSE IT DID!!! It took 4 weeks for the side effects of feeling out of sorts and shaky to start to subside but after 6 weeks I was suddenly ready to start work again and I wasn’t even nervous about my first day back! I have energy, confidence and calm. After 9 months of feeling like normal life was over for me, it feels almost like a minor miracle."

Amy · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

For Depression: "Just beginning week 2 of fluoxetine now, on the 20mg capsules at the moment taking them a few hours before bed. Although I wake up with energy, I feel emotionally flat which now gives me anxiety in social scenarios. I am really praying the effects of these will change quickly."

Momwhite · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am on 10 mg. Prozac. It is my 11 day. I also take gabapentin and Adhwaganda and lots of b vitamins. I feel heavy."

Bubbs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 22, 2019

For Hot Flashes: "I must be the only one on this site that doesn’t think that Fluoxetine are great! I was prescribed these in August 2018 as my hot flushes were terrible...my face was literally running with sweat (not great look) and having to change my clothes several times a day. Here we are in June 2019 and I’m still suffering. I don’t want to go on to HRT as worried about side effects"

MilkmaN · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I am 28 years old. I started taking 10mg Prozac(fluoxetine) again after not taking it for about 25 days. I did not experience major withdrawal side effects, this wasn’t voluntarily but rather me not being able to get the prescription. The first two weeks of side effects including anxiety, depression and OCD symptoms seemed worse. I started feeling better on the third week, although I am on a 10mg dose, it has been working wonders for me for the past 10 years. My agoraphobia is improving, although it’s still there when I drive. I am afraid of driving far, as I keep thinking I’ll get a panic attack, or anxiety attack. I am hoping things get even better as time flies."

Bananas June 19, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I first stated taking prozac about 8 years ago. It worked great with minimal side effects and life was pretty wonderful for the most part. Then a few years ago I had a breakdown after giving birth (triggered by hormonal changes) and tried many other meds but they all have severe side effects. So I went back on what I knew worked: prozac. However it has not been the miracle drug it once was. I was feeling worse. I chalked it up to being due to various other external reasons until I ran out of my pills and just didn't refill them. Almost a week off and I am feeling so much better! My mind is clearing of the constant fog, I am gaining interest in things I used to love, my anxiety is down SO much. I feel more level now than I have in a long time. Prozac, for me, was a wonderful drug until it turned on me and made me feel worse. Who knows the reason why, but it is what it is. I'm grateful it was there for me during times when I needed it most :)"

ki 2 June 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I would like to speak about prozac. When I first started it I felt like giving up . I was on 20mg and I couldn't eat or sleep and my anxiety got so much worse. My thoughts went on overdrive and new OCD thoughts came.However I am now on it three months at 40mg dose and my brain is so much clearer. I can rationalise the thoughts. OCD is no fun but don't suffer . I went on here when I first started and I read a positive thread and it kept me going. Please don't lose hope ."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)