User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder

2.7

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.5 1,097 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "2 years ago when I was 20 years old in college suffering from a terrible episode of depression I was prescribed my first antidepressant: Prozac. After 3 weeks I felt AMAZING. I was having sexual dysfunction so they added Wellbutrin. I felt great for almost 2 months until I had my first and only seizure. (Wellbutrin lowers the threshold for seizures). I discontinued Wellbutrin. I tried Prozac after the seizure and it had no positive effect like it did. In retrospective, I believe that the prozac induced a hypomania episode. I have never had a hypomanic episode before then or since."

VickyEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been living with PTSD, severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I reluctantly started Prozac but now I’m extremely happy I did. It’s been ~4 weeks in and I haven’t had a panic attack, I haven’t been angry, moody or irritable- quite a few times I felt somewhat euphoric and a steady feeling of being content/happy. I have fibromyalgia and this medication is said to help with the pain, It does. After drinking I would usually be in severe flare up pain and extremely anxious and depressed, now I feel perfectly fine and normal. Honestly, Prozac is helping me to live a better life without the stress and the depression. Its a relief to not be crippled by mental illness."

Bea7765 February 20, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I’m 45 year old female, I had a very tough past. It has haunted me in the present, prevented me from being a whole person. Although I had made peace with myself on some levels, my head would spin, go to dark places, feelings of self loathing, inadequacies would take over. I am premenopausal now as well, which in itself is a struggle. I started the meds almost 8 weeks ago. I was at 10mg for 4 wks..very slight side effects, foggy mostly. I felt it was “scratching the surface” in terms of helping..I was increased to 20 and it is doing the job just fine. My concerns were weight gain and sexual dysfunction, of which I have neither. If I have put on a couple of pounds, it’s worth it, for the clarity in my head. I am very pleased, my only regret, is not starting it sooner.. Good Luck, I hope this helps."

Ak3973 February 14, 2018

For Depression: "At first this drug was like a miracle drug. It made me feel good and have no worry in the world. However, this is a double edged sword. If I feel just as good laying in bed than getting out, what's the point in starting the day. Being on this drug long term has made me feel crazy. I didn't have depression, but I started to get a lot of other problems. No motivation, no emotion.. my mind was empty and I felt so agitated I thought I was going psychotic. Now I lay in bed everyday, surfing the internet. I look forward to nothing. I am no one. I have no friends and I don't care about anything. There are moments when I get super agitated and want to hurt myself, but then I go back to not caring. This is a dangerous drug. It robs you of your soul. You don't realize it, but right when you lose your depression, you forget what it's like to care. It is used to numb the minds of the public."

gracie1030 February 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Helped with some anxiety but otherwise did nothing. Went up to 20mg and the psychiatrist told me "You need a higher dose" so we switched to fluvoxamine which is similar but can go up to 200mg."

moadej (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "These reviews are pointless each drug affects each person differently. Writing a review on a drug is meaningless. What works for me might not work for you keep that in mind!!"

Melkp1980 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "30 year old guy (active, good job, college educated). I’m here to tell you this medicine worked for me — FOR SURE. I take just 10MG at night. I also take TIME RELEASE Xanax every evening before bed (0.5MG). The combo of the two has reduced my anxiety, panic, racing thoughts by 85%-90%. One year ago I was in the same place as you likely are. Looking for any solution and upset thinking nothing could help my, almost nightly, panic attacks. Everyone is different with this sorta stuff. However GIVE THIS A TRY, if you are on the fence. You owe it to yourself. And don’t worry, with your doctors permission you can probably still enjoy a few drinks here and there. Personally, I still enjoy a few cups of coffee each day (probably shouldn’t) and I also enjoy a glass or two of wine a few nights weekly. Take your doctor’s advice."

FloridaGuy25 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "My neurologist put me on fluoxetine with a view to controlling my migraines after I couldn't tolerate topiramate. Sadly, I didn't get on with fluoxetine either. Probably the worst aspect of it was that although I was not suffering so much with "traditional migraine", I experienced constant/cluster headaches which were almost as bad - extremely painful but without the nausea. I also started suffering from whistling in the ears. After 6 weeks or so, I stopped taking them (on a consultant's advice). My migraines returned but the head aches didn't stop and nor has the whistling."

Marc59 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medication didn't help me at all. It made me much worse and unstable."

depressedfaye (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This is my first time taking any SSRI and I am legitimately happy for the first time in years. I had results in the 1st few days which went away after the first week, then took nearly 10 weeks until I felt results again so there was a long time where I felt like it wouldn't work. I had Serotonin Syndrome symptoms (tremors, large pupils, sweating, etc) so had to take a break for 1-2days, twice over weeks 1-8. Around week 10 on 20mg I started feeling great then by week 12 I started having migraines. My dr told me to stop taking it for a few days and when I didn't take it I felt great again. Once it builds up in the body to the level you need it works but beware of taking too high a dose after 3 months. I'm now on 10mg & it works like 20mg did when it kicked in. Hang in there and if you're having issues take a break or a day or two or lower your dose because even slight Serotonin Syndrome can block results."

Chi_Ada (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Similarly to big pharma's lies about drug efficacy these reviews are the same allowing only positive responses almost like white washing... Well after 8 months on prozac 20mg I had some motivation, enough to stay in the house every day and do basic things. I suppose a numbed brain is a positive, & hypersensitivity, hypomania, impulsiveness, depersonalisation. The list is endless.. This medication was not for me I tried 40mg it caused severe gastric reflux."

Rayquaza1990 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I haven’t taken it in a year or so but I had no side effects from it. Just starting again"

Kayscr (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "depression got worse."

min nick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Absolutely changed my life to the better after my thoughts were racing around. I feel like I'm another person on it. I'm on 20mg twice daily. Wish I would have going to the psychiatrist before the stresses started. Side effects are tiredness and very real dreams which I sometimes don't know if I dreamt them or happened in real."

Mel00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Hello all. I struggled with depression and anxiety for 5 years. I thought I was getting out of it but had a violent resurgence a few months ago. I had severe depression, worry, fear, irrational thoughts, doubts, and loss of interest in things I LOVED, like hunting and fishing. Started Prozac on 10 mg, then up to 20 mg. At about 5 weeks I finally started to feel some relief. Doctor switched me to taking the 20 mg twice daily, morning and evening. I am feeling better by the day. Easier to refute the abnormal thoughts and doubts, and I’m slowly regaining interest in my pastimes. Excited to see what happens in the coming weeks. Be patient with it, this stuff really does work for a lot of people!"

Caleb Hughes (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "As a young person, I suffered from cyclical depression and OCD. About 25 years ago, a doctor prescribed Prozac for me. Since then I no longer experienced either depression or OCD. I guess when it raised my serotonin level, the problems disappeared. My life since then has certainly not been easy, but I was able to learn to cope with serious problems very effectively. The depression is now a distant memory. I wish everyone could have the same benefits as I have had from Prozac and Fluoxetine. Now I am strong, positive and have had success in life."

BK (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was on prozac for about 3 months. It helped with my mood but did not help at all with anxiety. I tried increasing the dosage from 20 to 40 mg but after 3 weeks I had to stop because the side effects were too much ( increased anxiety, insomnia)."

Louloute January 17, 2018

For Depression: "This medication is a miracle drug. If a person does not take it on time each day, they are causing themselves to feel super down. This medication saved my life in 1989. My ability to function as a normal person was wonderful immediately after I took the first pill. If you cry too much, feel anxious when things do not go right, get agitated when others do things differently than you do, freak out at small things that can be fixed easily and feel hopeless in many situations, this is the medication to request from your doctor. DO IT NOW! DO NOT WAIT! Find out how it feels to have balanced seratonin in your body and remember: it is NOT your fault. Do not be ashamed to tell others how it changed your life! :)"

Jalbc (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2018

For Depression: "Not bad"

Naira007 January 4, 2018

For Depression: "This drug is absolutely my miracle drug. Twelve years ago I was hospitalized for depression so bad that I couldn't even sit up in a chair. As soon as they put me on 30mg Prozac, I was a new person. I walked out of there 2 days later feeling absolutely fine. I've taken it ever since and haven't had any depression in the past 12 years, except for the month when I tried to go off it just to see if I could. Everyone in my family who has had depression responds in the same way to Prozac. It's our wonder drug. Thank you, E Lilly."

Anonymous January 3, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "This medication has changed my life completely in a positive way. The new me now vs the me that I was before, the differences are crazy. It took the medication a while to adjust to my body vise versa, but the waiting was worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had a severe panic attack in college and ended up being hospitalized. I was put on venlafaxine by my primary doctor and that was an absolute horrible experience. It made me feel super depressed to the point I wouldn’t do anything but sit on the couch and cry. Also I felt even more out of control when it came to my anxiety, and my brain felt as if it was always malfunctioning. I couldn’t think straight at all. Eventually I went to a psychiatrist and was put on Prozac (10mg), I don't remember having any major symptoms when I first started the medication but after a month I got bumped up to 15mg and thats when I actually started feeling at calm and at peace again. Don’t give up there’s always hope!"

Jo20 December 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Been on Prozac 6 weeks now. Developed PTSD, suicidal ideation, work stress+++, parent dying no warning. Life sucked in 2017. After several attempts with sertraline, Zoloft, Prozac, stuck with Prozac. Saved me from doing the unthinkable. On 20mg. Just cruising along, happy, content, started exercising, eating healthy. Life is great. Wife kids happy I’m back to normal."

JD68 December 28, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have taken Prozac for 19 years and it is truly a miracle drug for me and my migraines. I was suffering from 4 or 5 migraines a month when my doctor suggested I try it. I’ve never been able to take any traditional migraine medications, makes the headaches worse actually. So I figured there was no reason I shouldn’t try it. After taking it for a couple of months, I was down to only having 1 or 2 at the most per month. I have NO regrets about taking Prozac, but I do realize that it doesn’t work with just everybody. You literally have to try it to see if it works with your body chemistry. The only thing I’ve had to do over the years is adjust the dosage. I will never go without it if I can help it!"

Honneybee (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I had been on Fluoxetine intermittently across 7 years since aged 18. I have quit this sugar-coated poison for 2 years, enjoying the same effects benefits from Fluoxetine(Prozac) by: -Going to church( just for socialising) -Get a job that can give you a sense of satisfaction -Having intermediate degree of exercise( 90-min walk a day) -Simple jokes My best advice would be: 1. Never stay on it over 2 months, normal side effects: -Extremely thirsty(I got waked up regularly for a can of coke...) -Larger appetite (eating every 3 hrs) -Extremely hyper, talkative -Worsened memory/learning Upon quitting, you'll expect the following: -Sweaty palms -Panic attack after mid-night -Regular nightmares -Chaotic mind -Suicidal thoughts"

Rage of Star dust December 20, 2017