User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 905 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "As Lanie, the poster below me stated, Prozac also seemed to only make me worse. I'm sure it has genuinely worked for many people, otherwise it wouldn't have such a high average rating, but I know for a fact it only contributed to my symptoms (paranoia, impulses, unwanted thoughts) rather than relieved them. I cut it cold turkey back in college and suffered a few more years without meds before finding some relief with Celexa, but Prozac was definitely not a pleasant experience for me."

Dean108 January 16, 2017

For Depression: "I have been on many anti depressants and by far...Prozac gave me my life back. I am bi polar with PTSD and anxiety. I did lose weight and that was okay. I can sleep and am a happy woman again. I take 20mg each morning. I do not need a benzo for anxiety any longer oh and I am 33 years old. After fifteen years of Zoloft, lexapro, Paxil, Effexor, wellbutrin, you name it, I've been on it for long periods, changed to Prozac 6 months ago, I have my life back."

sissy8381 January 13, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Ok so I love Prozac ... My doctor had me on 20 mg then he wanted to try 20mg of trintellix. I didn't really like trintellix. No side affects but I still was irritable and not focused. I also have ADHD and worry about everything. Yesterday my doctor put me back on Prozac. Yes lord. I cant wait to feel normal again. This summer that is how I felt, normal. Like, is this really what the world is like. I like it!!!!! "

Silentbeauty38 January 11, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Prozac feels like poison being put in your body"

Joey36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Been suffering from depression most of my life. I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I would change when one seemed to stop working so went to Prozac. BIG mistake. See the side effects? I had almost every one of them. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong till my wife showed them the side effects. Almost died Lost 25# in about 3 weeks. Will never go back to it but who knows it might work for you just didn't for me"

wcemt1605 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "So I was previously on citalopram and it reduced my depression but made my pmdd more noticable. A psychiatrist recommended prozac as citalopram is not effective for pmdd. The month that they weaned me off citalopram and onto prozac was HELL. Now I'm fully taking prozac at 40mg it is working already, I have more energy and can get up and do things more often. I've not had a period on my full dose of prozac yet so I'm not sure how it will work then, but from what I feel now, I think it will be great. Side effect: I have incredibly vivid and unpleasant dreams (but had that on citalopram at first) and they are so vivid I often confuse them with real life momentarily. I also have bruised and itchy legs."

KatyC25 January 9, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medication made me yawn frequently. After two months, I didn't notice any improvement in my mood but my jaw was killing me from yawning and clenching my teeth which I don't normally do. My friends and family also pointed out that I seemed more irritable and more likely to snap or be short tempered."

7nywh3r3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Good experience with prozac"

Nikdick January 4, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on fluoxetine for 20 years now. This drug has done wonders for me - a life saver. I tried to come off it once against the doctors advice - silly me!"

flanker01 December 31, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm convinced that fluoxetine is a cap full of sugar and salt. Been on it for 6 months now and I can't say that I've woken up once and said " I feel great"! At the end of the day private companies produce these medications. Its big business. They test it for a short time on a number of people and release corrupted results or not all findings...."

Ahmzii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Prozac 9 weeks ago after Mirtazapine stopped working. I was suffering with bad OCD, anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis. When I first started on the medication, I thought it would be a miracle drug, however the side effects were horrendous. For 7 solid weeks I was a mess, I was depressed (I dont even suffer with depression) I was crying at my desk all the time, I had horrible thoughts, crippling anxiety, would not leave my house or talk to anyone the only thing that would get me through the day was Diazapam. I am on 40mg and after 7 weeks it was like a light turned on and I have been 'normal' for 2 weeks straight, I am so happy I stuck with it. I know it's hard but trust me it's worth it."

Jodeyxo December 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I began taking Prozac about 10 years ago for generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed my family physician. I took 10 mg for awhile and then increased to about 20mg. During this time on Prozac I experienced TMJ which I had never had before. I used to dream of novacaine shots to get rid of the pain. I took a break from Prozac and the tmj disappeared. But I never connected the Prozac with tmj. Dr didn't and dentist didn't. Fast forward to now. Back on Prozac. Back with Tmj. :( Loved Prozac. Got rid of my ruminating thoughts and anxiety. I would give it a ten except for the tmj. Giving Zoloft a try. Hopefully no tmj."

Ghost girl December 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "I've had bulimia for 8 years and I was on Prozac for 3 months, nothing changed. We kept upping it every month,. Maybe I needed a much higher dose? Idk desperate but hopeless right now."

IamNova December 28, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Hi .. First of all I am a woman who didn't believe in any antidepressants ever! Then came the dreaded monster I call menopause (well for me it was tough) not all woman have it so BAD. Anyways I met with my Dr. and told her everything that I felt and she prescribe 20 of prozac. I came home saying to myself gee I cant take this - I heard so much negative things back in the 80's in high school ..? Then I said well its either giving it a try and hope for the best, or lose my Husband of 20 yrs and cry more.. So I took a pill that same afternoon and wow I can say it took about 3 weeks before major difference butI am thankful everyday and night as I am so much happier."

Cynderellacyn December 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had severe anxiety all my life sweaty hands, sweaty feet, shaky feel like your vibrating inside dizzy light-headed it is an awful way to live and until I was an adult with kids of my own. l had no treatment but now I have literally tried every depression and anxiety medication there is and Prozac has helped me the most without unbearable side effects."

hope12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started taking anti depressant after my grandchild died. He was 3 years old and it changed my world. I had so much anxiety over people and I was just so sad and angry all of the time. I stated celexa and I loved how it just shut off the bad. Eventually it was increased and I couldn't stay awake for anything. I got switched to prozac about a month ago. At first I felt very irritable but thats gotten better and now I feel better overall. No more trying to sleep all day and the crazy switch is still flipped to off"

Apmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took this medicine for three months and stated to notice uncontrolled, constant muscle twitching in my feet and legs, that was 15 years ago. Try to imagine your leg muscles twitching 24/7/365 for the rest of your life, that's what I'm dealing with and it's horrible. I'd think twice before putting this chemical into your body. Before this I was on Paxil for four years with pretty good results and no major side effects; wish I had stayed on that."

Painaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Hi everyone, I experienced extreme anxiety which then lead to panic disorder. It sounds like it basically started from built up stress but, let me tell you my story as I want people to feel more comfortable and understand what's going on as I have done extensive research on the issue. First, anxiety and panic disorder are awful. You feel like you can't breathe, that you're having a heart attack, you get dizzy, you feel off balance, you get sweaty hands and feet, you're not comfortable and always anxious, sometimes you even feel that you're legs are going to give out. If the above feels like you well I took Prozac and honestly it saved me. "

Fightanxietyforever (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

For Depression: "I've been taking a low dosage of this medication for four and a half months, and all it's done it make me unable to cry, heighten my anxiety, and cause me to wake up in the middle of the night, and render me unable to fall back asleep."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Fluoxetine changed my life. My postpartum experience after our second child was hell on Earth and I thought I would end up permanently crazy. It took months to feel the full impact -- so PLEASE hang in there. I wanted to quit Prozac so many times but thank goodnes I stuck it out. I cannot say enough good points about this medication."

Cataline12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2016

For : "Okay, so hear me out. I take a 10mg fluoxetine "blue oval pill" once in a while (once every 2-4 months) from my dad and it relaxes my entire body. I'm a hockey goalie age 27 and just finished my last season of college hockey. ( I know I'm old for college sports haha) anyways; I swear to got these fluoxetine 10s work better than any pain reliever I've ever taken. I've had multiplied concussions / been knocked out Cold playing hockey since age 18. Do you think that has anything to do with the effect I get ? Every site I've seen says you need to take fluoxetine for weeks for any effect. I'll literally take 1 , 10mg pill and my body gets completely relaxed, my muscles / bones don't ache anymore and I sleep like a baby. And No this isn't placebo"

Terrankevin December 10, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months. The doctor started me on buspirone but it didn't help. I tried lexapro and couldn't take the side effects. I just stated Prozac 10 mg this week. So far no side effects. I just hope it helps soon. My anxiety was bad today. I have anxiety everyday. Just curious if anyone shakes with their anxiety? I just started shaking about a week ago and when I get nervous, it is worse."

#tired01 December 9, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was started on Prozac 20mg earlier this week after trying Lexapro previously, and I have already noticed a huge difference! Before, my anxiety and depression got to the point where it was difficult for me to socialize, or to feel like I was "all there". Felt like I was always fighting through a dense fog. The inability to concentrate was exhausting. This medicine feels like it is, slowly but surely, clearing that foggy feeling. I am looking forward to the next few weeks, as I was told that is when it would reap its benefits entirely. I would highly recommend."

The Ponderer December 9, 2016

For Depression: "I was started at 20mgs and after 12 weeks with no improvement my dr.bumped it up too 40mgs daily which put a SMALL damper on the extreme depression I was having but that was only by making me feel nothing at all..except maybe confusion and restlessness.After about 6 months my dr changed me to lexapro which worked better..not MUCH better but a little better."

sopranofan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was on this medication for over 14 weeks and it made me into an unemotional zombie. My grandma literally passed away in front of me and I couldnt even shed a tear. It helped get me moving around more but, it wasnt really helping my depression. I wasnt happy at all and my anhedonia still persisted. Also, on top of all that Prozac made me lose my libido/sex drive even after I stopped taking it over 6 weeks ago. Im scared my libido/sex drive is never going to come back. This is why I only rated this drug a 1."

MixedBipolarDude16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016