User Reviews for Fluoxetine

2.7

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.6 1,146 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was on 10mg starting and it didn't help, so I went to 20mg and my life felt so on track, I gained 30 lbs, but with exercise daily I lost 15 and don't mind the way I look. I have bipolar II and It made my mania worse, but with the right mood stabilizer, I believe this antidepressant is a great. I switched to wellbutrin and I hate it, I am going back to Prozac today"

KADEZKO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Binge Eating Disorder: "I started taking fluoxetine a few months ago. I noticed I gained about 10 pounds but I am dropping off now and wow, the binge eating is gone!!! I take 20mg every morning. I first started taking it at night and slept like a baby, but once it kicked in, I was up all night for 3 nights (which it did say it would do that). I am starting to feel a little crabby and on edge and not sure if I should increase it a bit. I will check with doctor. Definitely taking it during the day right after some breakfast works best for me."

LS (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking Prozac 20 mg now for at least a month and a half and I am so glad for this medication. On the first day I took this pill I felt different. I have lost weight which is a great thing because I am overweight. I don't really have a appetite, not complaining about that at all but the only down side is NOOOOOO sex drive at all and I can barely have a orgasm. I'm going to stick with the medicine because I have struggled with depression for years and years and haven't felt this good in I don't know when. My medicine works all day everyday and sex only last a few minutes...not giving up my medicine for sex. Give the medicine time to get in your system it really works and it has saved my life! Thank goodness for this Pill."

depressedgirl1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Moderate OCD, GAD and when I was prescribed fluxeotine, severe depression. I’m not going to lie to you, the first 3 weeks were bad - couldn’t eat, crying randomly, unable to sleep normally, going outside made me break out in a sweat for fear/anxiety, intrusive thoughts were worse, and suicidal thoughts started even though they weren’t an issue before - my GP wanted to take me off them. However, I stuck with it and each day got slightly better and after the initial period I feel like I’ve got my life back. What I will say is, get off this forum! ESPECIALLY if you have OCD! Reading and obsessing about whether the drugs will work for you will make it 100 times worse and get you more in your head about it. I’m only 3 months in but I’m back to being able to function again (even went on holiday when Planes made me breakdown before) and am seeing really positive results. It’s a marathon, not a race. You won’t feel better overnight but you will feel better over time."

OtterCodDogfish (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Best medicine ever. I recommend it to everyone. I've been on and off for about 8 years. I always go back on because I lose it after a while. It helps me with anxiety, and especially obsessive compulsive. It runs in the family that we think about things way to hard and can't let go of stuff. This drug stops the irrational thoughts from snowballing. I seriously do recommend this to everyone. To me, it really has been a cure-all. Life is still life, but goodness is it much better with Prozac."

Rondog (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 11, 2018

For Depression: "This is the single worst medication I've ever, ever been on. From the first tablet, within two hours I felt drugged, heavy headed, very weak, woozy, not right, hyper anxious even though I also take benzos, and my heart kept racing. Couldn't sleep the night. Would wake up round 2am unable to get back to sleep until 5am. I kept taking the tablets for two weeks and then finally stopped after nearly fainting whilst driving. An absolute nightmare of a drug. I normally tolerate meds pretty well. But this one? Never, ever again."

CindyM (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Horrible drug. It made me feel like zombie, and there is the side effect of risks of suicidal thoughts. Took it for a few months before the side effects started kicking in with a suicide attempt . After I woke up I realized that it was the drug. After stopped taking it I feel much better on another med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "This medication saved my life. I am currently in my last semester of college and working at the same time, and the stress of everything (finding a job, graduating on time, etc.) finally caught up to me. I had my first full blown panic attack 4 months ago. I felt like I was dying and it was a downward spiral from there. I was prescribed Xanax but it seemed like a band-aid solution as my attacks became more frequent. My PC started me on 20 mg of fluoxetine. It definitely got worse before it got better. My advice to anyone starting- BE PATIENT. This didn't start working for me completely until a few weeks ago. My side effects were a headache for the first week, but went away. Had some heightened anxiety at first and still struggle with insomnia, but I am transitioning to taking my meds in the morning, so hopefully that helps. Would highly recommend."

tszul (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This drug has done wonders for me. It change my life. No more fear or negative thoughts. The only mayor problem weight gain and decrease of sexual desires. I don’t know what to do. I love this drug but can’t take the weight gain. I go to the gym and try to eat less and still my weight doesn’t go down. I really don’t know what to do. Any advice?????? I am a new person on this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've taken prozac for 10 months initially at 20mg then 40mg. It has worked very poorly for my depression and anxiety. I have become so constantly anxious and unmotivated due to the medication and dependant on alcohol. I need to change to something else this has had no positive effects on me."

Jon April 27, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Prozac for my PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. When I started on Prozac my symptoms weren't nearly as bad as they have come to be now. It made me incredibly depressed, I was nauseous all the time on it, I was losing weight and I was already underweight as is -- 5'7" and 115lbs. The first time I ate a full meal on it was Thanksgiving at a relative's house, the whole next day I spent violently vomiting and had terrible diarrhea at the same time. Prozac wouldn't allow me to keep anything down, and the constant nausea throughout the days was terrible. Wouldn't suggest for someone with a sensitive stomach... ALSO my psychiatrist said there shouldn't be any effects coming off, I could just stop it. I crashed majorly! Depression got terribly worse, and panic attacks were coming on pretty bad for a short period after!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "It’s changed my life and I am so grateful for this medication. My view on western medicine has changed a lot."

Amira (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "A lifesaver! I didn’t “believe” in PMS/PMDD until it started happening to me. It took me years to recognize it, but when everything was going great in my life and was under low stress, it was easier to recognize that my crying and my feelings of hopelessness were not justified. My gyn had me chart my symptoms on a graph and the PMS pattern became evident. I was very resistant to taking any medication and tried all the other remedies first with no luck. Then tried fluoxetine at just 10mg/day for only the 10 days prior to my periods. WHAT A WONDERFUL CHANGE! No more weird crying spells for no reason, no more angry outbursts, I was my normal self all the days of the month. No negative side effects that I know of and I took it for years. During perimenopause, started to have crying spells and went to 20mg every day. Now in full menopause and weaned myself down and off of it and don’t seem to need it now. It was not working to control hot flashes, but for PMS/PMDD, it was WONDERFUL!"

Anne (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Paxil over 10 years ago, but ended up gaining a lot of weight on it, even with working out like a mad man, and watching what I eat very meticulously. After being on several meds in the next 10 years, which did not appear to work (although I wasn't on them for a long period to time) I decided to try Prozac from the advice from my psychiatrist, who is a very good doctor. I took a gene test to see what medicine would be best from me, and the tests revealed prozac would be best. I started off on 20mg, increased to 40mg, and eventually went up to 60mg (due to my OCD). At first, I kept the weight off, and in fact was losing a bit of weight. However, after being on 60mg for a long period of time, I decided to weigh myself, and was totally dismayed, and went into a deep depression, on how much weight I gained. I always thought weight gain was one thing under my control, as I work out and watch what I eat. To say it mildly, it was like a punch in the stomach."

jcb2334 April 19, 2018

For Depression: "I have severe depression and social anxiety. I couldn’t get out of bed. Doing a simple task such as brushing my teeth felt like climbing Mount Everest on one leg. I’ve been on Fluoxetine for two weeks now, and my mood has improved! It’s not as difficult for me to do chores or take care of myself. I was on another SSRI (Escitalopram) prior to this, so I don’t really feel bad side effects except for dizziness. I’m hopeful for the future and what it has in store for me."

Capy (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Prozac for about 3 weeks. Started on 10 now moved up to 20. I can say this drug really kills most of my anxiety and stress. It is definitely helping with my depression also. My mood has stabilised for the most part. I recommend giving it a try, everybody is different so give it a try. Thanks :)"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Give this medication at least 3 months to fully work. I started at 20 mg and increased to 40 mg within a month in a half.I have to be honest, the side effects can be difficult but stay with it regardless because you’ll be thankful you did by the time you start feeling the benefits of this drug. A year ago is when I started Prozac and I’m so much happier today than I was from the start Give it time because nothing good happens over night. Good Luck to everyone."

CrazyTown813 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am 26 years old and my anxiety was part of my life since the beginning. But my first serious panic attack was in September 2017. From that day I remember I could not return to normal. Felt weird nonstop, I could not even hide it anymore . I decided to take therapy, but just talking about it did not make any difference at all. So I went to a doctor and gave me flouxetine ( end of December). I started with 10 mg then a week after increased my dosage in 20mg. I remember I went almost crazy, the side effects were BAD. I stopped taking it for like 3 days then started taking 10 mg per day again. 1 month later in Febuary side effects where gone. And now 4 month later I am thankful I did not quit from taking them. I'm still on 10 mg and my life has become so much easier. So please give it time to kick in.. and it will be a life changer."

Kos (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Believe it or not but as soon as I took my first pill of this amazing drug, I felt sudden improvement in my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Hi, I started on Prozac 6 days ago, I am constantly tired and have no get up and go, exercising feels like a chore. I am very foggy in the head as well. Anxiety has decreased a little, but sleep is very disturbed. Going to stick with for another week and hopefully these horrible side effects will go and I will get my energy back."

Nel45 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Depression: "Been on prozac for the last 22 years. I am 68 years old. I was put on it at age 46. I know I was depressed all thru my childhood, teens, and up to when I was given prozac. I am now taking 60 mg every morning. It has shown me what normal feels like for the most part. But what bothers me now is that I have rarely cried over the 22 years on it. I cried briefly when my dad died, and cried when each of my dogs died. My husband and I are retired now. Sometimes I wish I could cry, but can t. Maybe that's the price I paid for being on it so long. I only tried to get off of prozac once, and that was a nightmare!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Been on Prozac for two weeks. Definitely works better for me over a period of time. Mood has significantly increased with a stabilising sense of well being. Been a lot happier. Everyone reacts differently, I recommend giving this a try. Best to stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks, Good luck! :) There is always hope"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "This med is very good. I went from almost quitting my job to enjoying life again. This is my fourth week on it. 20mg a day. The first two weeks were difficult but right now my panic attack is mild as well as my anxiety. I hope it stay that way. My doctor told me I would have to take it for at least 6 months, which worries a bit. Does anyone knows any natural remedy for panic attack and anxiety? I want to be free from med. Plus med may stop working anytime. Please help!"

Sk April 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "a great drug give it a try the only side effect for me is no sex drive but its worth it!"

mbb1621 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking 20 mg of Prozac in early 2017 for anxiety, depression and OCD. For the first few months, I felt fantastic; I was so relieved that I had finally found a medication that worked for me. Skip to August of 2017. I maintained dark thoughts. I eventually stopped taking the drug due to this scary reality. In December 2017, my doctor and I decided to give it one more try. This time around, at 10 mg per day, my thoughts became dark very quick; I stopped again, once and for all. It's been roughly 3 months that I've been off of Prozac and I now have good and bad days. Some days my thoughts are dark, and on my good days, I feel mostly okay, but will have periods of melancholy. I wouldn't recommend Prozac for folks with a history of trauma and strong suicidal urges. However, I have 2 cousins on Prozac that have moderate depression, and it's been a positive life changer! It just didn't work for me."

Prozac made it worse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2018