User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 843 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Depression: "Tried fluoxetine 20mg for a month. Absolutely did NOT work for me!!! I lost a few pounds which was water weight but gained it right back and some. Made anxiety, obsessive thoughts worse, depression worse too. Got to a point where I thought I was gonna walk right out of my job. Stopped taking it a day ago and i already feel better, maybe even hypomanic.it gets a 2 instead of 1 cuz it allowed me to sleep. I will be starting a combo of venlafaxine 75mg and bupropion 150 mg sr in a few days. Hopefully I won't resist this treatment. Good luck everyone!"

Somepenguin369 (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "20mg for three months. No effect at all."

Chuck789 September 24, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had a neutral experience on Prozac, my second SSRI tried for anxiety and depression. Prozac did not really help me but it did not do any harm. I experienced very few side effects aside from increased anxiety for the first week or so. However, I was unable to come off of my klonopin because it did not help my anxiety and I was more suicidal after 5 months of being on it than when I started it."

missschris (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Hi there , I started thanking this magic pill about 4 mos ago . I've had general anxiety disorder and depression for at least 20 yrs . Biggest anxiety is with taking medication . Finally at 44 it hit me like a brick & I stopped driving and not being able to work due to crippling anxiety and irrational fears ..I seemed help and got the courage to start on 10 mg Prozac about 4.5 mos ago , increased to 20 mgs after 3 weeks . I have to say this medication truly saved my life & sanity ! I feel normal again and anxiety is gone ! I recommend it to anyone who has double thoughts about it , it truly works :)"

Ak72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2016

For Depression: "After a year of stress and then going back into my addiction that had been dormant for 2 decades I tried 20mgs of Prozac. The first 3 weeks we're completely miserable. Anxiety, irrational thought, mood swings, constant bowel movements....but I was diter I rd to hang in there. Amazingly I started to feel better. After 6 weeks I was a different person. I feel completely normal now. My wife was diagnosed with cancer and things went really bad in my life before Prozac. I am now on a much better path. I take .5mgs of Xanax at bedtime and wake up feeling great. It is like a miracle of sorts. Mood side effects: a little bit of thinning hair, sex drive is down as I find it hard to climax and I'm a little less empathetic."

J-dawg September 16, 2016

For Depression: "I was on 40mg and it did absolutely nothing for me."

K1ttyc4t (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2016

For Bulimia: "I take 100mg daily and my binging and purging has subsided by 90%. Please note it took me a long time to work up to this high dose. My quality of life has improved immensely and for the first time in years I am not thinking about food and weight constantly. One side effect I do experience is tiredness, which I find frustrating, but whenever I try to reduce my medication intake I start binging and purging again. Out of the 10-15 antidepressants I have tried over the years this has been the only one to assist without dreadful side effects (e.g. Topiamate). I wish everyone luck with their personal battle and know how challenging and isolating this condition can be. Take care"

staypositivethingswillgetbetta September 10, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Was on lexapro and didn't find it helpful . prozac seems to be doing very good."

Riply222 September 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had to come off Fluoxetine due to severe pains in my back , hips and legs. It's been 4 weeks and still getting the pain. So worried I've damaged myself for good. Don't know what to do ! Doctor has put me on Naproxen for the pain, but how long do I take this for!? , has anyone else experienced this? Every time I come off naproxen I get the pain straight back again. Making me so unhappy."

Jojo woo September 3, 2016

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety i'm 19, i was put on 50mg sertraline which made me constantly have a headache for the week i was on it, made me very tired and i was quite achy too. went back to doctors and she put me on fluoxetine 20mg, i have been taking this for just over 2 weeks now & even though i'm still quite tired (might just be me), i already feel a lot better. Before on fluoxetine I was always over thinking things, i didn't want to leave the house or go out, i was off work for 3 weeks as could not stop myself from crying, i was worried my relationship would end! now i'm a lot more positive, I'm going out and not crying anywhere near as much, never felt happier and my relationship has never been better! :)"

panda345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "My mom has been trying to get me on meds for my severe anger,due to my pmdd, but I am so antimeds. Finally decided to give it a try (10mg) and it is amazing! Usually around 11 days before my period i would be a raging maniac but since taking prozac its completly subsided. Initially, I also (as someone else stated) had trouble having an orgasm so i stopped taking it. But when the anger came back I gave it another try and stuck it out and miraculously that side effect went away, YAYYY!"

Clrod (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started on Prozac (fluoxetine) after the deaths of my sister and mother in the same year, 5 months apart and I started taking 10mg with Xanax but I still felt depressed. My doctor put me on 20 mg a day with 1/2 of a 1 mg Xanax and I feel a bit of relief, calmness, and no suicidal thoughts. I found that when I skip a day or two, I start crying a lot. Prozac works for me along with Xanax."

Eliseeya Marie August 27, 2016

For Binge Eating Disorder: "I am on prozac for 5 weeks now, no relapse of binge ever since. But i have experienced some side effects like lack of energy, insomnia, nausea, and dry mouth. Some of them went away. Hope within time all of them go away. I will recommend it to people who suffer from binge eating. It noticeably reduced my appetite from the third day. My obssession over food can finally be stopped. I am really happy with this medication. Started at 20 mg in 1st week, upped to 40 mg in 2nd, then 60 mg in 3rd."

ichbinwendylein (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Hello! I just started back on 40mg Prozac for the second time. I originally started taking it last summer for anxiety. I more so like to call it situational anxiety (single mom working my butt off trying to raise my daughter). I think anyone would have stress in my shoes. I've pushed past that all now. It helped with the anxiety, but it really helps with weight loss. I lost about 20 lbs. Went off the meds (no withdrawals) and weight slowly crept back on. My brother is getting married in a couple months and I want to look my best and shed a few pounds. Honestly, Prozac doesn't effect my brain much. Food taste different tho. I have a hard time having an orgasm. Worth the sacrifice for now. Other than that perfect pill for me for weight loss."

Cheyzam (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Excellent medication usually works great have no complaints when used for depression only."

Sweetgirlmeg (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication is very useful and helpful in my opinion for depression but on the other hand it does not work nearly as well for anxiety. Would recommend for someone with depression but not for someone with anxiety."

Sweetgirlmeg August 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I took my self to the hospital because my life was (and still is) falling apart. But after I took Prozac, I started the feel a bit better. But just as someone here mentioned, after I took it my mind felt empty, for example, since before I went to the hospital, thoughts of self hatred, self loathing and plenty of suicidal thoughts took up 90% of my brain each day. but since they were gone due to the medicine, my brain was unsure how to react. The worst thing in the world could have happened to me and I wouldn't do anything just smile. But it felt weird. But I did feel a strange sense of optimism while on the drug. I'm NEVER optimistic, always pessimistic. I stopped months ago. I think I'm going to the hospital soon anyway.. I feel it."

Vanessa0207 August 24, 2016

For Depression: "I improved a lot when receiving 10mg after 2 months of treatment. When the dosage was increased to 20mg symptoms worsened and I had suicidal thoughts."

nieku (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Clencing of the jaw and bladder irritation are severe sideffects I have been having since starting fluoxetine, most if perimenapausal symptoms diminished however, side effects are quite severe."

Suzy b (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have had selective mutism (an anxiety disorder) since I was very young. I am 19 now. In grade 5, I started taking fluoxetine. By the end of the year, I was talking to all the girls in my class. I felt more confident. I could order by myself at restaurants now, something I wasn't able to do before. There are still some people I don't talk to, but I talk to every new person I meet. Fluoxetine has improved my quality of life and I am happy now. I have been taking fluoxetine for 5 years now and I can't imagine what my life would be like if my doctor and my mom ( a pharmacist) didn't recommend it when I was 10."

Anonymous_7081 August 20, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I began taking Prozac in January 2016. I started out on 20mg. I noticed a positive difference in my mood (less irritable and happier) after only 1-2 weeks. After about a month I bumped up to 40 mg and things were still great. I did really great on it as far as side effects go, I had none. Things were great for 6 months and then it sort of just stopped working. my doctor bumped me up to 60mg but it did nothing. I built a tolerance for it and recently switched to trintellix. Overall, Prozac worked really great until I built a tolerance for it."

GG827 August 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Disclaimer: this is MY personal experience Started Prozac at age 19 after issues with Effexor and after a few months I felt on top of the world--the happiest I had ever been. This was short lived. After 6 or so months something inside me snapped. Sex drive=0. My conscious turned into someone that wasn't me. Never heard voices before but they became overwhelming/evil & I couldn't shake the suicidal thoughts. I ended up quitting cold turkey as I noticed myself double dosing, then triple dosing. My sex drive is still 0, I've gained a ton of weight, and have been dealing with severe depression without meds because I'm scared to take them again."

Agirlandhercats August 16, 2016

For Depression: "To start off let me tell you the first 4 weeks were HELL! The side effects were awfully. The first 2 weeks being worst then the 3rd and 4th... I came very close to stopping the medication. By the 5th week the side effects got less and less everyday and suddenly somewhere around the 6th week I woke up and felt like santa clause on steroids. My depression was 100% gone. I was my better self. I was even better before the depression hit years before. I have been on every antidepressant in the book and they all turned me in to a couch potatoe junkie. I had no motivation and no energy. I almost lost my job.... then I went to the doctor and he put me on prozac. It saved my life! !!"

Kidkdh August 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I feel fantastic I feel a massive change in myself I'm less aggressive anxious depressed and agitated I'm more patient with things and people as I suffered with social anxiety I'm more outgoing and thinking clearer I feel on top of the world and have lost 13kg as my appetite has decreased rapidly"

Shellsheree August 14, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Well looky here. I wanted to see what was going on with my body and found these interesting posts. I have been having some issues that are sending me to oncology and talk of leukemia. About 2 months ago I stopped going on Prozac just to clear out my body with a few different meds. Night sweats were one deal that my oncology doc brought up (I have the mutated gene for all the ! and ? to go up about leukemia, but have not had the bone marrow test yet, only because I am a wimp) and I have flashes throughout the night, but she is saying sheet wetting sweats. Not them, but i am ripping off my sheets like I just had my hysterectomy back in 2001. WHY I HAVE flashes is beyond me, but that Prozac apparently took control of them, so am back on."

Karen in NC (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016