User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Fibromyalgia 6.5
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.4 1,624 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Rana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “At the first I feel ok but after 6months I gained 20 Kgs !!! And I quit Prozac after 6 months and it was the best decision but I cannot get rid of the weight I had gained it affects my metabolic rate so bad !!! Now I have depression of being fat ! Don’t use it”

Ris · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I started 10mg dose of Prozac, then was increased to 20mg dose. I was on it for irritability for two months before it started inducing severe panic attacks, racing heart and the inability to think. I had constant headaches and no feelings, I couldn’t even feel pain. I’ve been off it for two months now and the withdrawal has just started. It has been horrendous, racing heart, anxious feelings, severe anxiety, loss of appetite, memory loss, foggy brain, feeling off, panic attacks every night. So far two weeks of this. I don’t recommend this, it’s been the worst 5 months of my life.”

Donna · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 7, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been on 40mg dose of fluoxetine since 2012 when my son died. In this time I have had no improvement AT ALL”

Lambey · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

For Depression: “I'm on fluoxetine 20 mg a day for a year and no change in my depression. My dose went up to 40 mg and I noticed a world of difference”

Jim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

For Depression: “Having tried Sertraline and Citalopram, I found Fluoxetine to be incredibly effective at treating my depression. Fluoxetine is very strong and does have some side effects which I dislike. It can make sex very unenjoyable, reducing libido/sex-drive and making it difficult to climax. I can deal with these side-effects as Fluoxetine has returned the joy to life.”

JaneDoe · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “Prozac is the best anti-depressant I’ve been on. It worked really well for 6 months and then it started to stop working (I wasn’t very consistent in taking my pills). I had very little side effects. The first month of being on it is very nice. It lets you feel happiness after not being able to. I’ve been off it since August and have not felt the need to start any meds again until recently. Prozac helped me be able to gain that sort of control. It’s okay to depend on medications for awhile or for a lifetime, whatever works for you.”

LAM · Taken for 10 years or more June 3, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been on Fluoxetine since I lost my Mum in 1997. There were two episodes when I was off it; when I thought I was feeling good and did not need it and for my pregnancy (I took it for most of my pregnancy and came off it 2 months before the birth of my very healthy 9lb daughter). Apart from getting some minor side affects when reducing or upping my dose I feel this medicine has made me feel normal again...the way I felt before I lost my Mum (my best friend to whom I miss so very much). I feel calm and relaxed. It does not make me dull or lifeless...I still get very happy/excited and sad/low moments. I am better equipped to deal with the stresses of life. It has also reduced my migraines. I hope this helps someone out there to realise that with the proper treatment you can become you again.”

KermitZo1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “The first couple of weeks on Prozac went well, I felt happier than before. But after that it feels like the medication makes me more depressed than normal. Overall it’s an okay medication”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since high school...I’m a 21 year old college student now. I was prescribed Prozac over 6 months ago, but didn't have the courage to take it. I initially came here and read the reviews which freaked me out. The past months I have been dealing with unbearable anxiety and panic attacks, that I could no longer manage. I gave in and have been on Prozac for 1 month now. The first week I had no side effects besides a headache. The second week came and the symptoms I had were obsessive thoughts, one bad panic attack, increased anxiety, feeling out of body, etc. This continued into week 3, but eventually got better. The middle of week 3 going on week 4 I feel very good! I have had little to no anxiety issues and can actually function in the world! This medication plus therapy once a week has been a good combination!”

Marla · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “This is great! I have been depressed since my divorce and have tried other antidepressants. This really works. Prozac even gives me energy in the morning! The only problem is that it gives me anxiety so maybe it’s good to get you out of the depression or maybe I need a lower dose.”

NellyM · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 30, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I had anxiety since I was a child. I remember having my first panic attack when I was playing with my siblings, not knowing what it was. Years later, I got diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. After I couldn't bear my anxiety anymore and starting to affect my profession, I started taking Prozac 20mg since October 2018. First two months, I experienced a terrible loss of appetite and weight loss, subsequently. Also, very heavy menstruation for months then it went back to normal flow. Vivid dreams were frequent, too, not anymore, though. After almost two years of use, I have gained at least 25lbs, which is Frustrating for me. In terms of anxiety, I do think that this drug controlled at least 85% of my anxiety and panic attacks. My anxiety now is very occasional, and when I have it, either goes away by itself or stays with me the whole day regardless of my relaxation practices.”

T May 29, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “No negative side effects. Also no noticeable positive change”

Juno May 27, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: “I went on Prozac to treat depression, anxiety, and bulimia. It was the worst medication I’ve ever taken. I ended up in the psych ward after the mental breakdown this medication led me to. Other than the awful SSRI-induced mania and mood swings, I also suffered terrible side effects. Even after stopping this medication, the insomnia persisted for months. I don’t recommend.”

Youarestrong · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Man, where do I begin?! I was so scared to try an antidepressant. For 10 years I have tried to fight this on my own with therapy, exercise, diet.. you name it! I finally had enough and decided to try a medication. I am on 20mg of Fluoxetine/prozac. The first 3-4 weeks were rough with side effects (ear ringing, jaw clenching, excess yawning, tiredness, diarrhea) but then eventually all of that leveled out. Around week 6 I started to feel like my old self, before all the OCD and anxiety. Now, around month 3, I feel amazing. People in my life are commenting on how much more carefree I seem. It really has taken that weight off my shoulders. I still do therapy, exercise and meditate which I believe is important to do because without putting in the work alongside the medication, the antidepressant is nothing but a bandaid.”

merry · Taken for 10 years or more May 25, 2020

For Depression: “Fluoxetine is a best medicine. It changes my life by producing good and relax feeling. I was suffering for seven years...my feeling toward people were just hating them due to my past grievances which I suffered from people”

Anonymous May 25, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I've been through a lot of medications & this one was one of the worst ones I’ve ever tried. I was unaware of how horrible and scary the side effects were of this medicine. I started off on the lowest dosage and it lasted about two weeks before the bad thoughts & depression kicked in. I DO NOT recommend it. It has now given me fear of trying other medications.”

Bigkev · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “Was on 20mg for anxiety and depression felt it did not work so doc put me up to 40mg let me tell you people who have started this drug and are waiting for something to happen it will after about 8 to 10 weeks just be patient and hang in there it will either work for you or it won't. With me it did and wow I could fall asleep in mins always happy smiling but give it time to work properly anyway if it doesn't try something eles goodluck people”

addie84 May 14, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “I was put on this drug (20mg daily) to help control my panic disorder. My doctor told me to expect a bumpy first few weeks, and the reviews I read confirmed this. The first weeks were completely awful. Specifically, the worst I have ever been. My panic sky rocketed and I was unable to leave the house completely (not something I have ever had a problem with before). I was disassociating and started experiencing tremors. My eye would twitch incessantly from the anxious thoughts and my pupils were constantly dilated too. I stayed on it because I was told it would eventually get better, but I should have listened to my instincts sooner. My sleep patterns were non-existent, I had gastrointestinal upset, and I felt like I was living in a haze. I went to the doctor after 3 hellish weeks and it turned out I had mild serotonin syndrome. I am glad this drug has helped so many people, but please consult your doctor if you have concerns.”

Anonymous May 13, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This medication Prozac has helped me so much and has truly saved my life. My OCD and panic attacks were taking over my life to the point where I felt I could barely function. When this medicine began working for me I felt that I finally am the person I want to be if my OCD and anxiety did not stand in my way. This medication was absolutely amazing for my OCD and anxiety/panic attacks. I am on 50mg.”

Dot May 13, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “After battling with bad PMDD for too many years and trying yoga, vitamins, YAZ etc, with only very limited results. I ended up trying Fluoxetine as a desperate last alternative. I was very nervous to try it as I had read there could be a lot of side effects and I was scared of them. I however have had no side effects and it has fixed my PMDD totally. I wish I had tried it years ago. Started at 10mg a day for 8 days then went to 20mg. It has been such a relief as I can operate as a 'normal' person the entire month. My head is clear and I remain my happy positive self even in the dreaded 48 hours before my monthly starts which was the worst time before. My husband is also very excited to see the change as he was very worried about me and what I was going through every month. If you have PMDD and are struggling I would say talk to your doctor as this just might be the closest thing to a cure you will find.”

Miracle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 10, 2020

For Depression: “I have been taking fluoxetine for about 7 months now I take it to control my negative dark thoughts and suicidal thoughts since I've been taking it I feel a sense of happiness and calmer it is good at treating depression and anxiety disorders I would highly recommend to anyone its made me feel normal again. I have no side effects at all”

Sagecious · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 8, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: “The best thing ever to be invented. The very first time I took my first dose, literally 30 minutes later I went from being catatonic/incoherent/and hysterical to sudden new feeling I had never felt before in my life. Happiness, calm and serenity. My imaginary pain disappeared as well. Suddenly everything made sense. I was all like, omg god, is this what normal people feel? I couldn't believe I had been missing out on this emotion for the first 24 years of my life. It gave me my life back. Been happy, successful, productive ever since.”

turog May 4, 2020

For Depression: “Causes severe sexual dysfunction. Should be illegal.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been taking fluoxetine for about 2 months (started on 20mg, now switching to 40mg). Overall I would say the experience has been positive. The only side effects I've experienced have been vivid dreams (not a negative) and a little lack of motivation, although it's hard to say whether this is a side effect of the drug or being isolated because of Covid. In my personal experience I would say this drug helps more with depression than anxiety. I still have a fair amount of anxiety (which is why I upped my dose) but my depression has decreased a lot. I noticed I smiled more, laugh more, and feel hope again. Overall positive. In terms of weight it's possible that I have gained a few pounds, but again this is hard to attribute solely to the drug considering current circumstances.”

stvjnr · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Prozac was 8 weeks nightmare at first then all of a sudden I went from needing zopiclone to sleep to being able to sleep myself within 30 mins. My mood has picked up and I can better take my stress. I'm only on 20mg and took it due to trauma at work and subsequent insomnia. Life changing in a great way.”