User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Bulimia 28 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 804 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Prozac about a month ago for anxiety and depression. I had been in therapy for about 8 months prior to this for the same reasons. I had made several lifestyle changes before trying Prozac. I quit smoking, drinking caffeine and alcohol, and started exercising more. None of this was helping my anxiety (main problem). My anxiety was especially bad during my menstrual cycle, so I talked to my Dr. and he prescribed Prozac. I waited 2 months to take it because I had never taken an AD before and was scared. But once I did I was so glad! Prozac has honestly changed my life for the better. I believe I was much more depressed than I realized before taking it and my anxiety has completely disappeared."

Alahet (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Having a history of family heath problems it was my time to develop one of my own, i was diagnosed with moderately severe depression and was placed on a moderate dose of Prozac. Weeks in i became extremely lethargic , my mood hadn't stabilized one bit, i presumed i would need a higher dose and that followed. Eventually the dosage had quadrupled and showing no improvement, i beg to view the world in a haze, nothing seemed real and i didn't recognize myself . I was incredibly suicidal. If you are not feeling this drug is effective do not continue using it, otherwise suicide is a very genuine threat. I have found Sertraline effective as opposed to this freakish medicine."

Send Help (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Bulimia: "I am on prozac without any major side effects for 2 weeks now. First week i took 20mg and was still binging and trowing up on occasion and all i was thinking about was food and my body image. i was very anxious and depressed. After the first week, my doc increased the dose to 60mg. after 2 weeks i started feeling the change. i am not obsessed about the food so much anymore. it gives me a big hope that i can be free from this eating disorder for good. suddenly, my mood is much better and i am positive about my future. i even want to go out and enjoy myself a little. so far 9/10."

yagaa (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have never had thoughts about suicide until I took Prozac. This was the absolute scariest experience of my life."

squirrellover (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have spent a lot of time reading threads on Prozac. They have all been very helpful during these past few months so I thought I should share my own experiences just in case anyone out there might find it helpful. I started Prozac 20mg about 2 months ago. I always knew I had anxiety and mild depression and was always curious about taking anti-depressants. But when my boyfriend and I broke up I literally went to my PsycDoc the very next day. I had done my research on AD’s and thought that Prozac would be the best for me. My Doc agreed. I kept a log every single day I took Prozac starting from Day #1 until Day #30. It took 24 days before I started feeling little random bursts of happiness. But up until day #24 it was pure torture. It hurt to smile, I completely lost my appetite, I could not sleep, I was sad, I experienced soooo much anxiety is was painful. But thanks to reading all these threads I did not give up and was hopeful that things will get better just as everyone said it will. Every day after Day #24 just seemed to have gotten better and better. And on Day #30, it finally hit me and I understood what Prozac is all about. Yes it is true that it is a life saver. If I had to put it in just two words to explain how I feel on Prozac I would have to say “Calm” and “Clear”. But I’m not finished just yet… after a few weeks I started feeling like the 20mg wasn’t really working. So my Doc increased my dose to 40mg. this time around I almost gave up and went back to 20mg, but thankfully I did not. For 3 weeks of taking 40mg I was soooo tired, fatigue and lethargic. I did not experience this on 20mg. and I was constantly hungry too. So after week #3 I called my Doc so I can make an appointment to go back down to 20mg. he was out of town so I had to wait. When his office called me back to schedule me in, the awful side effects of 40mg were gone and I was back to feeling clear, calm and happy again. So here is my own personal advice from my own journey with Prozac… I’ve been on it for a little over 2 months. You have to get worse before you get better. No matter what you think, YOU WILL GET BETTER. Prozac is literally reprogramming and rewiring your brain and that TAKES TIME. Side note: I’m 31 years old and ex-boyfriend and I are back together and happy. So were all those days of torture worth it? It sure was."

Calyfornia (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I previously took Celexa for GAD; but it stopped working. Switched to Paxil. Paxil is great for anxiety but it gave me constant nausea that wouldn't go away. I switched to Prozac. The first 2 weeks on Prozac, it gave me more anxiety, nausea and unable to eat a lot. After two weeks, my anxiety/panicky was reduced, appetite is good again and sometimes I will get bouts of nausea. So far, Prozac at 40 is working pretty good. I also take Valium 5 mg as needed once or twice a week. Valium is amazing. When Prozac is not working well on certain days, Valium is used to smooth things out. Valium is a good rx since it will stay in our system for a longer time. If you use it scarcely, you can use Valium for life. Prozac & Valium: Excellent together."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Was prescribed this. First dose and I'm already having difficulty achieving an erection. Not ever taking this again. Not worth it."

Racing mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Prozac was the worst for me. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I was using it for depression and anxiety and when i first started taking it i felt terrible, stayed on it for another 4 months or so till my psychiatrist (who did absolutely nothing for me, spent a total of 15 minutes with me in 3 appts.) uped my dose to 20mg, i started feeling really tired all the time, got headaches, felt sick, my head was ALWAYS foggy, couldnt remember much, drained me right out. So without my doctors word i stopped taking it and i still feel depressed and anxious but i feel much more alive and much better. Prozac didnt work for me at all."

Okayy123 July 14, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I was on Flouxitine for years and felt numb, so I switched to another medication which was a huge mistake. I'm back on Flouxitine and it saved my life, I can go places again, I'm loosing weight that the other medicine caused, and I have so much energy. I have depression, anxiety, and agoraphobia. Flouxitine is what makes me a person again, and without it I don't know if I would be alive. I did have stomach bug symptoms in the beginning but it went away and I feel great."

Insert nickname here July 13, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've tried a few antidepressents. Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Remeron... I've been on Prozac for nearly three months. I was prescribed 20 mg a day for the first month and told the doctor I didn't notice anything. She still kept me on 20 mg a day for the second month. Still nothing, but drowsiness was a problem (gone now). I've been on 30 mg a day for the past three weeks, and in the past week or so, I think something about me is different. I rarely have the suicidal thoughts I did before (I still do though). I'm also normally really awkward, but now I feel natural when I say something, no shaky voice. Idk how to explain what I'm feeling. The past week I've been pretty nauseous though. I usually eat a LOT though so I don't mind it"

cuebalal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Depression: "Been on it for 49 days for anxiety and depression . Works great ! First 2 weeks were rough but the 6th week I feel great ! Also lost 15 lbs ..still enjoy sex too :)"

Ak72 July 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "After trying celexa (which helped my anxiety but not my depression) my doctor reccomended Prozac. I was in a very bad state at the time and was up for anything to make me feel better. After taking it for about 3 weeks I started having extreme suicidal thoughts everyday, which was very unlike me even with major depression. I told my doctor and she said she felt she was just under treating me and uped my does another 20mg. After another week I had to put myself into a hospital because I felt I had no control over the suicidal part of me. I have been off of Prozac for over 2, months now and have had little to no suicidal thoughts although my depression and anxiety has worsened from the experience I feel."

Briiiiiii July 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've been on Prozac only for a week now but I've noticed a big change in my sleeping schedule and headaches...they've gotten so much worse!!! Can't think straight anymore and my head's always pounding. My review on this drug will change if i begin to see positive effects, but as of now, I'm ready to ask my psychiatrist for a new drug!"

Alexa S. July 6, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I am taking 450 mg Bupropion daily and was still hitting the wall. Crying, fear, anger. Had lots of therapy and been on lots of antidepressants. Felt like my life was over. Saw my dr four days ago and told her I wasn't doing well. We talked and she decided to proscribe Prozac 20 mg in addition to Bupropion. I am tolerating the side effects...no appetite, nervous feeling, sketchy stomache, head feels too big...seriously! One thing: I have less body pain. Fibro was active but less so now. That's great. I am an artist and I cannot concentrate or keep my focus. Hoping that clears up soon. Will be back to report on my progress."

Kate D (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "If you scroll down a bit to 2014, you will find my rave review of Prozac for OCD and more than 100 people found it useful as well which is great. Now it's 2016, a year and a half later and I went from 115 lbs (I NEVER struggled with weight) to 151 lbs today and I'm just 5'2". My diet did NOT change. In fact I battled anorexia in my teens. I just don't enjoy food that much and still don't. I truly believe some people may eat more, but ultimately it messes with your thyroid and hormones bad. So, this is what I'll say: Prozac is pure genius and DOES work very, very well. You will probably lose weight in the first few months, and then as you approach a year the weight comes on fast and hard."

Southern Summer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Prozac for anxiety and stress: I started Prozac 20 mgs on January 1, 2016. I feel great so far with no anxiety and panicky feeling. Not everyday is perfect but that is life. The first two weeks on Prozac 20 mgs, it made my anxiety high, it made me nauseated, unable to eat and unable to sleep. Since I suffer from GAD, 20 mgs suddenly stopped working and I went up to 40 mgs. Increased to 40 mgs, it gave me a lot of anxiety and panicky feeling again. After one week or so, the anxiety was gone. The panicky feeling was also gone. I have tried three other ADs and they all gave me chronic nausea and headache. However, on Prozac, I feel great. I do feel nauseas at but it is manageable. Give Prozac 7 weeks before you quit. Two thumbs up!"

Be strong July 2, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Started out taking 20 mg of prozac for depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder and pre-menopause. First two weeks I had mild side effects after week 3 I feel really good. I have not had a hot flash in 6 months I was very skeptical about prozac working for menopause but as my doctor stated give it sometime before expecting results and he was absolutely correct. Who knew?"

Sassyone6085 July 1, 2016

For Depression: "I had slight depression I was told by my councillor, she had put me on this medication to try and help lift my mood while still having meetings for the councilling! Within 2 months I was down to the lowest I had ever been and attempted suicide, a few weeks after I decided to take myself off the medication as it was making me worse, I have been so much happier than I ever was while on that medication, it is such a dangerous drug not to be used for mild cases as it makes it worse in my opinion."

Kmlmccabek (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Dr. gave me 20mg .. lost weight .. hot flashes totally disappeared .. no depression or anger or sadness .. still a little tired but b12 Injection helps .. I don't want to stop the medication .. for me it's all positive .. I'm happy and easier to get along with .. "

Menopause no more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Re Prozac: I started this medication May 1, 2016 for Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I started at Prozac 20 mgs and felt good but it suddenly stopped working after 10 days. 10 days later, I bumped it up to 40 mgs. At the onset of taking 20 mgs and 40 mgs, my anxiety was 5 fold, unable to sleep well, constant nausea, & lost my appetite. I did use a benzo at times to reduce the anxiety which was high. It is now June 10, 2016, I got my appetite back and sleep pattern was back to normal. Prozac has made a big change in my life. I feel less anxiety and less panicky. Prozac is working pretty well thus far and haven't had to use a benzo in over 14 days. You must give Prozac at least 6 or 8 weeks and you'll know by that time if it is for you or not."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and starting to see light at end of tunnel. Stomach pain an nausea the first couple weeks but much better now. I'm sleeping well and feel more relaxed. I find I actually want to do things like take a walk, play with grandkids, clean house and take care of myself. I didn't want to do anything before Prozac. I just existed. Thanks to Prozac I'm now living at 56 years old!"

Texas Granny 2005 June 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "When I read the comments about Prozac I believe that most of the good ones are from people who are still on them or took them for a short period of time. The review should include the withdrawal. I was given Prozac 14 years ago for anxiety I was not depressed. It worked well for anxiety, I tried to come off them many times and suffered what I thought was a return of anxiety but was in reality withdrawal. Since coming off completely 2 years ago I have been destroyed mentally and physically. My cognition is very poor I have serious vision problems and dizziness and agitation and I'm in constant pain. my pharmacologist and neurologist are in agreement"

Tatty1 June 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "They say this is supposed to take several weeks to kick in, but I noticed positive effects within 3 days of taking 20mg. Less irritable, less anxious, and feeling a bit more happy-go-lucky. I have noticed an increase in appetite, but I can't confirm if it's a side effect. I tend to eat more when I'm happier, and lose appetite when depressed."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Overall a good drug, I would recommend it."

Filip147 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have suffered from depression for over 30 years now and have gone on and off of Prozak several times during the years. What I have found is that when I'm taking it I will feel so good that I always eventually stop taking it thinking that I do not need it but then after a few months I need To go back on the medication and within no more than 2 weeks I feel like a new person. While writing this I only hope that I never foolish enough to stop taking Prozak."

AAJJ (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2016