User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 974 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "It took about a month to work, but I no longer have severe anxiety when I am trying to sleep. I don't know how I went so long without it."

Chelsiedawn89 May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Developed panic disorder with agoraphobia one year ago after a traumatic experience on a plane. I finally gave in and decided to start treatment with Prozac. I was on 20mg for 3 weeks, then upped to 40 mg. No bad side effects AT ALL. My mood and attitude have improved greatly, and my daily panic attacks have diminished. When I do feel anxious occasionally, I am able to breathe it out and calm down, instead of ending up in the ER. I am now able to leave the house and drive, shop, run errands with no panic. I am still unable to travel by plane... otherwise, 10/10! And I am only on week 5. Heard it only gets better!"

melba32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I don’t find a lot of positive stories about antidepressants, or I find stories where people are taking the antidepressant the wrong way. I wanted to share my experience. A positive one. I’ve had generalized anxiety disorder, SEVERE OCD, and panic disorder for as long as I can remember. My first memory of having an episode was when I was 4 years old at my kindergarten interview. I feel as though I was born with the illnesses mentioned above, right from the womb. When I was a child I was extremely anxious, had bad separation anxiety from my parents and had extreme OCD, I was just a kid and thought that the way I was feeling is how all kids felt, I didn’t realize that I was different. This went on, and got even worse in middle school. I began developing trichtilomania in middle school. In high school I went from being a 90% above student, to failing every class within a couple of years. I couldn’t leave the house. My panic disorder and gad caused debilitating physical symptoms. I would be shaking when I had to leave the house, I wouldn’t drink alcohol because I was afraid of vomiting, I was suffering so much, for my whole entire life with severe phobias, fears, and anxiety. I prayed and prayed and prayed to God every night for it to go away. I was a 16 year old living in a prison of her own mind. It never went away. Every single day was the worst day of my life, I would wake up and the thoughts just started, I never had a break. My life was exhausting. I am of east indian background and my parents didn’t understand mental illness well. It is very taboo in my culture. I went to tons of doctors and they told me it was just growing pains, no doctor ever told me that maybe I should see a therapist. I didn’t have any support. When I was 22 I attempted suicide. Luckily the attempt didn’t work and I was forced to go on medication. I was livid, I was so against antidepressants, I was so so so scared, it felt unnatural. My general practitioner put me on Effexor, I took it for almost 8 weeks, it helped me to not want to kill myself, but It also made me gain tons of weight which made me depressed, and it make me hear voices. One evening a voice told me to choke my mom, and I started freaking out and my parents drove me immediately to the hospital. At the hospital I talked to a psych nurse who calmed me down, and got me an appointment with a psychiatrist the next day. This appointment and this psychiatrist saved my life, and changed my entire life. I want to really mention that you should not be going to a General Practitioner for mental illness medication, you should ALWAYS…ALWAYS go to a psychiatrist no matter what. If your GP is the only person you are seeing to help you manage your meds for ocd, anxiety, etc, that is the WRONG MOVE. That is such a common mistake people are making, you NEED a psychiatrist in order to get the meds right, please do not just go to your regular doctor, you’ll be cheating yourself. I went to the psychiatrist appointment the next day. It was the first time I had ever seen a psychiatrist. I got into her room and we talked about everything, my childhood, my phobias, my ocd. She then brought my parents into the room to explain the whole situation to them and the fact that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and that I have been suffering for way too long. My parents were so supportive. The doctor told me I was on the wrong medication, that I never should have been placed on Effexor which is an SNRI, and that I should be on an SSRI considering my main problem is OCD and GAD. We talked a lot about it and she told me she would like to place me on Prozac. She said for me, because my neural pathways have been the same for 20 plus years, that I would need a higher dosage of Prozac especially for anxiety and OCD. I see on this forum, that so many people are on 20mg, or 40mg for anxiety disorders. You should be on 60mg at least, do not be afraid to go higher. People that say Prozac or an SSRI didn’t really do anything for their anxiety or ocd is because they are only taking a 20mg dose, That is not an OCD dose. 40-80mg for anxiety and OCD. Please up your dose. Use the medication, REALLY USE IT. Do not be afraid! My doctor started me on 40mg, eventually took me to 100mg, and then I went back to 80mg. Yes the side effects are insane, I was nauseated, I couldn’t sleep, I was shaking, I had anxiety, but she prescribed me Ativan and said to use it until the Prozac kicked in. That the Ativan would keep me comfortable until that happened. Don’t try to be a hero, use your Ativan or your Xanax or whatever to stay as comfortable as possible. I could write so much more, but I’ll conclude with this. 4 months after being on 80mg of Prozac everyday, I woke up one day and I was cured. Yes cured. I had no OCD, I had no anxiety, I no longer had fears or phobias. I was cured. You have no idea how that day felt. It was like the first day of my whole entire life. I woke up being the real me, who is free spirited and isn’t afraid of anything! I was finally free, I was no longer a prisoner. I didn’t even have to go to therapy. I just woke up one day a brand new person, from taking a high dose of Prozac every single day. DO NOT go off of the antidepressants. Your ocd, your anxiety, depression etc will come back. I WOULD never dream or even think to come off of my antidepressants, I have an illness, that will return if I go off the medication, because I have a brain disorder. OCD is a brain disorder. Do not stop taking medication for your brain disorder, do not try to fix your brain disorder with just a 20mg or 40mg dose. Own your medication, be on it for life. It’s been 5 years since I have been cured. If it wasn’t for Prozac, I would be dead. 1) You need a psychiatrist 2) Do not be afraid to take more than 40mg of Prozac to treat panic attacks etc, I am on 80mg a day and my life is a ball. It is so wonderful and so carefree. 3) Do not stop the meds. Be on the meds for life."

priya3434 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "It took a few months for it to start to settle in, I think, but total game changer. 6 months ago I was in an awful state due to undiagnosed OCD & depression. Started going to therapy and taking prozac and now it feels like I'm standing on more solid ground. I haven't felt this good in years and feel silly for my past apprehension at trying SSRIs. Only side effects I've noticed are I'm a bit sleepy throughout the day and I'm having vivid dreams most nights (never remembered my dreams before taking prozac) but no complaints about the latter. Recently bumped up to 30 mg after being on 20 for a few months to try and kick the last of the obsessive thoughts. Really couldn't recommend enough. I can only hope this keeps working."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Life changer"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "6 months ago, I was hospitalized. I had never been treated for my depression due to insurance and financial issues. During my 9 day stay at the hospital, they started me on 20mg of Prozac. By the time I left the hospital, I was at 40mg. The suicidal thoughts went away and I was able to feel moments of clarity. Although, I made some big life changes after being released from the hospital, the depression was still there. Sleep and isolation was still my life. Now that I have been on Prozac for 6 months, I look back and realize how far I have come. I am now taking 80 mg a day and I can finally break through the fog. For me, depression wasn't necessarily sadness, but an absence in vitality. Prozac has helped me regain it."

Ramakin May 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I take this medicine primarily for obsessive compulsive disorder, but I also have depression and general anxiety disorder that it helps with. I took it several years ago but it pooped out on me, and my psychiatrist decided to try it again about two years ago. I worked up to 80 mgs because she said that I needed a really high dosage. I take it when I wake up in the morning and find it activating. It's so weird because I find things that I realize I do now that I would've never done before being on this medicine. It's such a good feeling each time I realize that and am reminded of how far I've come. I love this medication and really, really hope I can stay on it this time and not have it poop out on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm still trying to find a medication that works for me. But this is one that the doctor prescribed me about two years ago, and I took it for very close to a year. It did not help. They kept adding more dosage until finally I quit seeing my psychiatrist altogether and stopped taking the medication."

Alan Baker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "It works but it can be ineffective in some situations. I've used it for over a year switched from a max of 40 MG to 20 MG twice. It is not effective for me personally to take just one a day, so my doctor prescribed me to take two 20 MG pills of Prozac a day and has proven more effective. There are some things Prozac has not fixed with my obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD) even with taking 2 pills a day."

Jared T May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "14 days on 20mg. I am edgy and wobbly, no appetite, forced myself to eat, so I am eating less. Taking advantage of that because I am also a diabetic and hard to go to sleep. I am sticking with the medicine. Have some relief of bad thoughts. Hope it gets better."

6521L May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was diagnosed for OCD mixed type. My psychiatrist prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. The first 7 days were very bad. Extreme fatigue & tiredness, the typical "zombie" feeling associated with AD's. But on my 15th day the fatigue has reduced considerably & my OCD thoughts have become very easy to control. Also I can avoid my rituals now. The medication has worked for me & I think in the coming months will do me more good. I'm grateful for opting for it as I tried all the "natural" ways but with a mental illness when you don't get results you tend to get discouraged & leave the process midway. I wasn't getting better & thus finally overcame the fear of medication. Stop googling as it will only scare you & visit your doctor."

atifhussain18 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am twenty six years old and have suffered from significant depression since I was a child. For years I just dealt with it always going from one crisis to another. I've had a handful of suicide attempts starting from my early teens to young adult years. I would especially have trouble during the two weeks leading up to my period. Crying episodes and just an overall feeling of depression. I was put on Prozac about three years ago and it has made a world of difference. I'm happy again and able to function to my best ability, I'm focused and driven. Sometimes I forget to take it and the depression comes back. But as long as I'm taking my daily dose as prescribed, I'm great!"

MadiMadi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bulimia: "I've struggled with night time binge eating for years where I only eat at night and all at once. I started prozac 5 days ago and it's decreased my desire to keep eating which is great/amazing actually but without food filling the 'void' I was left feeling more depressed will see if it improves feeling hopeful with the change in appetite though !!"

NightEatingLaur May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Tried Zoloft and lexapro but had stomach problem side effects for months. I tried the generic Prozac 20 mg and had a month of horrible side effects until 6 weeks it finally worked. Helps so much, no attacks and only have a little anxiety once in a while. Worth it!!!!"

Buzz91 April 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was given this drug after going to my GP after months of feeling like I was the only person in the world feeling this way thinking I wasn't normal and that I couldn't tell anyone about how I felt. I felt depressed, anxious and after taking this for about 7 weeks I started to feel so much better like my old self again and then I thought I was fine and I stopped taking it but now I am back to being very anxious and uneasy about everything so I am starting them again I would not recommended you stop taking these pills even if you feel you are ready. Always talk to a GP first if you think it's time to stop. I 100% recommend anyone who feels like they need help to get better to try these out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Hello all, It is April 20th 2017. I started taking prozac in January 2017. I hated prozac. I was never depressed in the first place to begin with. My psychiatrist prescribed me the pills. They did not work for me. I have not been taking the pills since April 17th. So its been 3 days and I feel better and beginning to be back to my normal ways and more alert and less depressed. I have read online that people who stopped taking it feels good at first then it starts to kick in like emotions and stuff trying to get it out of ur system. I guess withdrawal? But I couldn't do prozac anymore. Made me VERY depressed and annoyed all the time. Didn't work for me"

Tiamani April 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Taken fluoxotine before, medication free for 4 years, I remember why I stopped. I know it's not a magic cure and that the first few weeks will always make you feel worse before you start improving but I would never take this again. Sweating, increased anxiety, violent mood swings, weight loss, crying, loss of appetite and an Ambulance trip to A and E due to kidney failure (which I have never suffered before) nearly 2 weeks off this and my kidney funtions are slowly returning to how they should be. A lot of time off work however which is now a whole new stress with loss of money and what is increasingly seemingly an addiction to codeine. PLEASE to anyone taking these, be careful x"

SMELLY ElF 89 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Personal experience: 1. Put up with the initial uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, increased anxiety, insomnia, lethargy, (the anxiety is usually your fears related to taking medicine and the 'what ifs', medicine alone can not make you think bad things. 2. After 2 weeks (yes I was one of the unlucky few who had very bad side effects for all that time but I stuck with it) the therapeutic effects start coming through eventually 3. Don't just assume medicine will make you completely happy, you still need to actively change your life to fix the root causes of anxiety or depression i.e do mediation, quit drinking, do CBT, take up exercise, see a therapist, be around people more."

Tomtom82 April 19, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bulimia: "I've had bulimia for 10 years. I just went on 20mg due to depression (extremely tired, not able to get out of bed, no energy/motivation etc.). I also experienced a noticeable increase in binging/purging during this time in an attempt to deal with the dysphoria and insomnia. I've only been on the medication 3 days, but oh my god. I'm not thinking about food all day long. My cravings are gone, my appetite is "normal". I don't feel like I'm constantly fighting that irresistible urge to binge. I have been getting tired during the day and will probably switch to taking it at night. Also have zero libido, which I like because its easier to focus. It also basically cured my "ADD" and I don't have to chug coffee all day to finish school work."

Kels78789 April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017