User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra

Fluoxetine has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 1,800 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Fluoxetine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Depression
Intermittent Explosive Disorder  Off-label
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.4 1,800 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Kitten · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: “I am currently on my second week of Prozac/Fluoxetine and honestly I can already start seeing the changes. The first 4 or 5 days were very emotionally draining, I had heightened anxiety and trouble staying asleep. Along with the common side effects such as headaches, nausea and lack of appetite. But now I feel like my body is getting used to it, the headaches are slowly disappearing, the nausea is subsiding and the heightened anxiety isn’t such a problem anymore and I can successfully say I haven’t had a panic attack since I started taking it. It’s hard in the beginning to stick to, trust me I thought of quitting many times! But it’s worth powering through!”

iliketrees · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2021

For Depression: “no thanks!! [warning suicide ideation (SI) + self-harm (SH) mention in this review: First med I was on (surprise surprise), and really know how I was supposed to be feeling. My fluoxetine dose went up super slowly because my psych was weird about it, but by the time I got to 30mg I realized I didn't like it, she increased my dose anyway. I basically became nocturnal, sleeping for 14-16hrs then sluggishly doing some homework and playing Mario Kart. Then dose went up to 60mg didn't help but also the only thing it made worse (which is significant) was SI/SH. So yeah, no thanks. Only side effects I remember were a bit less appetite and worse dissociation. Moral of the story I wouldn't personally recommend if you have more complex issues (I had 6+ DX at the time) but also, if your psych doesn't listen then fire them. 2/10 because I really didn't like it it but no severe non-mood side effects”

Baby · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2021

For Depression: “just prescribed this fluoxetine and it was going well calming down now after 2 weeks it’s reversing and rather angry I’m lost......”

READTHISPLEASE August 20, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “Even though I always said I was never going to post anything on this webpages because I was "not depressive", I kinda feel that I have to give back and I really really hope that someone gets to read this and gives a try not to the pill itself, but to your own person and finally start living and not just surviving. It's not such big deal I promise, diabetics get insulin from other sources outside the body, it is kinda the same for you, you just need a little more of your serotonin an voila. My only regret is having wasted and missed on so many things because of my pride against anti depressants and self-pity attitude . Hang in there, you got this. > ONE YEAR AGO I WAS YOU READING THIS COMMENTS THINKING IT WOULD NEVER GET BETTER. WELL IT GOT PRETTY DAMN BETTER. (: God bless whoever is reading this.”

Dawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “I am 34 and I have experienced severe anxiety and depression since I was about 12 years old. I started off with Prozac 10mg for the first 6 weeks and then went up to 20mg. I've been on it for a little over 2 months now and I feel amazing. I'm sleeping better, not emotional eating. I'm happier, I haven't cried except tears of joy bc of how ALIVE I finally feel again. I feel like for the longest time I've been in this dark hole just seeing the sun occasionally but now I can feel the warmth of the sun kissing my skin. I smile when I see the sun. I smile when I feel the rain or a breeze. The little things that matter most. I feel everything again. I'm also doing things I use to love, that I eventually stopped doing when I was in my dark place. My kids are happy to have their mom back! I highly recommend this. Prozac saved my life”

PandaBear · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I've been crying and overwhelmed every day. I'm a health care worker in a hospital & before this pandemic, I didn't need any meds for anxiety/stress. I have a happy life. But then this pandemic struck us & I lost it control ... I have been on 10mg/day for one week & so far so good. I'm not freaking out as bad anymore. Crying way less. But I'll see how I feel as time goes on.”

Peach · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Hello! I was prescribed Prozac for anxiety and depression. I started the first week only taking 10mg and moved to 20mg on week two. I’ve been taking this medication for less than a month, but I already feel so much better. I would spend about 2-3 nights a week crying from worry and stress. I also suffer from PMDD and a week before my periods I would become extremely depressed. Since I started taking Prozac I haven’t had any crying spells, I’m much more calm, I am able to think clearly about things instead of becoming overwhelmed with stress. I also feel way more motivated in my daily life and I actually look forward to the future instead of being scared of it. The only side effects I experienced was a little bit of nausea and feeling tired (this lasted the first two weeks, but it’s gone now.) Everyone reacts differently to medication, so don’t let the bad reviews scare you!”

Anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “this drug was a game changer........ after 2 weeks , significant improvement in mood and general feeling of starting to get back up. By week 6 , back on form, back at work. 3 years I have been on it and don’t intend coming off it. Have stuck at 20mg and never felt as calm and content. Side effects, none , benefits a new life”

OCD December 31, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “Man, what I journey I went on with medicines before Prozac :/ . Before I was on Seroquel XR & that was terrible bc that made me feel so strange all the time. I finally got off of that & tried Prozac because I’ve always dealt with OCD & Intrusive thoughts. I cannot express how true every review is about the first couple weeks, 3-4 you won’t feel anything really, honesty my anxiety was a little stronger, but trust me when I tell you it is all well worth it. I honestly feel amazing now, I can just think better & more clearly & now I understand my intrusive thoughts are only thoughts, they aren’t my actions. Man I used to fight with my thoughts all the time & ask why did I think that, why did I think this, now I understand so much more about myself & who I am & who I want to be. I was running out of hope bc I just couldn’t shake my OCD tendencies & intrusive thoughts, but just give the medication time to work, your body is adjusting to it.”

Zee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “I've suffered with mental health issues since I was a teenager and I am now nearly 30. I've tried different medications such as sertraline and venlafaxine and couldn't stand the side effects and gave up. This medication Prozac has been so helpful. Apart from yawning I've had no other side effects. More energy, more productive, calmer and a little more confident. I've only been on it a month and after the first week I felt so much better. Hoping it will stay like this! Bpd traits, anxiety, depression”

18 yr girl September 5, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I started at 10 mg dose of Prozac for GAD and some depression. I took 10mg, and moved to 20mg and it made me bleed (menstrual bleed), like a period NOT in my pee. Blood in pee can be a negative side effect of prozac, but my blood work was fine. I went back on 10, and every time I go up on dosage I bleed again. I look back now and see that suffered from anxiety for so much longer than needed to, I couldn't be more happier to have taken that chance and I want to encourage you not to be afraid because the pros beat the cons. Also before Prozac, I had EXTREMELY bad stomach issues, and taking prozac has dramatically helped my pain. Also my dreams are CRAZY. They are always nightmares and often wake me, sweating. My doctor prescribed me a drug called clonidine only 0.1 mg and I've been taking it for 3 nights and my sleep and nightmares have gotten much better already. Although these drugs can have side effects, there are ways around them to make your life better. You are not alone, it gets better. Thank you everyone whose shared here you are LOVED.”

Reba · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “After just a week on this drug Prozac, I feel so much better! I've been able to get up out of bed and start living my life again. It's been SO good. Tons of energy, so much so that I had to take it in the morning. It's improved my appetite but I don't overeat. I'm so grateful for this drug! My side effects have been super minimal. I hope it continues working as well as it has! I came here to read the comments because it's working almost too well. Heh. I hope it holds out.”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since high school...I’m a 21 year old college student now. I was prescribed Prozac over 6 months ago, but didn't have the courage to take it. I initially came here and read the reviews which freaked me out. The past months I have been dealing with unbearable anxiety and panic attacks, that I could no longer manage. I gave in and have been on Prozac for 1 month now. The first week I had no side effects besides a headache. The second week came and the symptoms I had were obsessive thoughts, one bad panic attack, increased anxiety, feeling out of body, etc. This continued into week 3, but eventually got better. The middle of week 3 going on week 4 I feel very good! I have had little to no anxiety issues and can actually function in the world! This medication plus therapy once a week has been a good combination!”

Macaroni August 9, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Hello! So I have been taking Prozac for my anxiety, it will be a year really soon. I definitely feel such a positive change in myself. I remember before going to school I would have panic attacks, I would stress so much I'd become sick, and I would shake and sweat badly from the stress. I would cry so much from becoming overly stressed. Now, I feel a significant change. I am much more calm in stressful situations. I also don't cry or get angry easily. I'm young, so my parents let me decide if I wanted to try the medication. I was worried about all the side affects, but after some overthinking, I decided to try it out. It took about 1 and a half months to start feeling a change, and I wish I took it earlier. I 100% recommend this medication to anyone with anxiety. It has changed my life and it is one of the best decisions I've ever made!”

SC · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “This drug has been life changing for me, no more anxious or obsessive thoughts. If you are scared to try it please don't be. I can't believe the way I used to think and live life before taking this. Now my thought process have changed and I feel like I am myself again. I sleep better at night, and I eat better. I used to use food as a way to cope with my emotions. Now that is not the case, I eat normally and anxiety does not plague my life. No more obsessive thinking over small things. I have nothing but good things to say about Prozac. Honestly I just wished I had took it sooner, but now I am just glad I am able to live life, no more being held prisoner inside my own mind. I am free.”

priya3434 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 26, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I don’t find a lot of positive stories about antidepressants, or I find stories where people are taking the antidepressant the wrong way. I wanted to share my experience. A positive one. I’ve had generalized anxiety disorder, SEVERE OCD, and panic disorder for as long as I can remember. My first memory of having an episode was when I was 4 years old at my kindergarten interview. I feel as though I was born with the illnesses mentioned above, right from the womb. When I was a child I was extremely anxious, had bad separation anxiety from my parents and had extreme OCD, I was just a kid and thought that the way I was feeling is how all kids felt, I didn’t realize that I was different. This went on, and got even worse in middle school. I began developing trichtilomania in middle school. In high school I went from being a 90% above student, to failing every class within a couple of years. I couldn’t leave the house. My panic disorder and gad caused debilitating physical symptoms. I would be shaking when I had to leave the house, I wouldn’t drink alcohol because I was afraid of vomiting, I was suffering so much, for my whole entire life with severe phobias, fears, and anxiety. I prayed and prayed and prayed to God every night for it to go away. I was a 16 year old living in a prison of her own mind. It never went away. Every single day was the worst day of my life, I would wake up and the thoughts just started, I never had a break. My life was exhausting. I am of east indian background and my parents didn’t understand mental illness well. It is very taboo in my culture. I went to tons of doctors and they told me it was just growing pains, no doctor ever told me that maybe I should see a therapist. I didn’t have any support. When I was 22 I attempted suicide. Luckily the attempt didn’t work and I was forced to go on medication. I was livid, I was so against antidepressants, I was so so so scared, it felt unnatural. My general practitioner put me on Effexor, I took it for almost 8 weeks, it helped me to not want to kill myself, but It also made me gain tons of weight which made me depressed, and it make me hear voices. One evening a voice told me to choke my mom, and I started freaking out and my parents drove me immediately to the hospital. At the hospital I talked to a psych nurse who calmed me down, and got me an appointment with a psychiatrist the next day. This appointment and this psychiatrist saved my life, and changed my entire life. I want to really mention that you should not be going to a General Practitioner for mental illness medication, you should ALWAYS…ALWAYS go to a psychiatrist no matter what. If your GP is the only person you are seeing to help you manage your meds for ocd, anxiety, etc, that is the WRONG MOVE. That is such a common mistake people are making, you NEED a psychiatrist in order to get the meds right, please do not just go to your regular doctor, you’ll be cheating yourself. I went to the psychiatrist appointment the next day. It was the first time I had ever seen a psychiatrist. I got into her room and we talked about everything, my childhood, my phobias, my ocd. She then brought my parents into the room to explain the whole situation to them and the fact that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and that I have been suffering for way too long. My parents were so supportive. The doctor told me I was on the wrong medication, that I never should have been placed on Effexor which is an SNRI, and that I should be on an SSRI considering my main problem is OCD and GAD. We talked a lot about it and she told me she would like to place me on Prozac. She said for me, because my neural pathways have been the same for 20 plus years, that I would need a higher dosage of Prozac especially for anxiety and OCD. I see on this forum, that so many people are on 20mg, or 40mg for anxiety disorders. You should be on 60mg at least, do not be afraid to go higher. People that say Prozac or an SSRI didn’t really do anything for their anxiety or ocd is because they are only taking a 20mg dose, That is not an OCD dose. 40-80mg for anxiety and OCD. Please up your dose. Use the medication, REALLY USE IT. Do not be afraid! My doctor started me on 40mg, eventually took me to 100mg, and then I went back to 80mg. Yes the side effects are insane, I was nauseated, I couldn’t sleep, I was shaking, I had anxiety, but she prescribed me Ativan and said to use it until the Prozac kicked in. That the Ativan would keep me comfortable until that happened. Don’t try to be a hero, use your Ativan or your Xanax or whatever to stay as comfortable as possible. I could write so much more, but I’ll conclude with this. 4 months after being on 80mg of Prozac everyday, I woke up one day and I was cured. Yes cured. I had no OCD, I had no anxiety, I no longer had fears or phobias. I was cured. You have no idea how that day felt. It was like the first day of my whole entire life. I woke up being the real me, who is free spirited and isn’t afraid of anything! I was finally free, I was no longer a prisoner. I didn’t even have to go to therapy. I just woke up one day a brand new person, from taking a high dose of Prozac every single day. DO NOT go off of the antidepressants. Your ocd, your anxiety, depression etc will come back. I WOULD never dream or even think to come off of my antidepressants, I have an illness, that will return if I go off the medication, because I have a brain disorder. OCD is a brain disorder. Do not stop taking medication for your brain disorder, do not try to fix your brain disorder with just a 20mg or 40mg dose. Own your medication, be on it for life. It’s been 5 years since I have been cured. If it wasn’t for Prozac, I would be dead. 1) You need a psychiatrist 2) Do not be afraid to take more than 40mg of Prozac to treat panic attacks etc, I am on 80mg a day and my life is a ball. It is so wonderful and so carefree. 3) Do not stop the meds. Be on the meds for life.”

Scaredycat89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I’ve been on Prozac for 7 weeks now, I started 10mg & increased 20mg after 10 days. I absolutely did feel worse before I felt better. I was already at an unbearable level with my anxiety & the Prozac did increase it for me for around 2 weeks. After around 3 weeks I started to feel good, I can drive again, I’m starting to enjoy being outside & doing things. I’m a lot happier, settled & at least 80% less anxious. I still have moments & I’m definitely not cured but I’m managing. Side effects for me are vivid dreams, loss of appetite & some weight loss. In the beginning side effects were insomnia, increased anxiety, intrusive thoughts & agoraphobia. I got through it & it was like the sun finally came out once they started working. I spent hours researching & reading reviews scaring myself silly. If you’re doing that also, I can’t say what it will do for you as everyone is different but for me, it has improved my life. If I can get through those 1st tough 2 weeks anyone can.”

Arizona · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Prozac enabled me to start enjoying my life again. I started off on 10mg and then moved up to 20mg plus 10mg Buspar twice a day. I went from suicidal thoughts, feeling like I wasn't ever going to be able to have a normal life again, constant anxiety, severe anxiety-induced depression, to finally being able to wake up and enjoy the day again. It took a long time to kick in, probably 4-6 weeks before I felt any palpable improvement, but now after two months on it, I am finally starting to feel like myself again. I didn't have any major side effects in my experience, unlike other SSRIs I have tried. Stay strong and stick with it! Remember you are never alone.”

Anonymous February 8, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “Man, what a journey/nightmare. Dealing with OCD & Anxiety & intrusive thoughts is absolutely no joke, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I swear I wouldn’t. But man I’ll tell you PROZAC SAVED MY LIFE. Where do I even start. I was dealing with so much OCD & Anxiety - From intrusive thoughts, to literally doing things over & over again, to realizing it wasn’t the thing that I was doing that was bothering me, it was that I didn’t know how to control my OCD. I was completely lacking self control in every way shape & form. But man, I’ll tell you. The first month on Prozac, I didn’t feel any different, honestly, I felt worse, but that was because my body was adjusting & I wasn’t being patient, I wanted immediate results & I still was lacking self control! But let me tell you, after 2 months on this medicine, I AM ALIVE AGAIN!!! :) I can breathe properly, I can think properly, I understand what triggers my OCD, BE YOURSELF.”

Ellie April 20, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “This medication has been great. I was so afraid to start, and the first 5-6 days I didn’t feel well. On day 8 I felt so much better! I don’t have panic attacks, I can breathe, I sleep better and don’t get stressed over tiny things. I still have negative thoughts but let them go immediately. I feel like I’m a nicer person and I feel like I can listen to other people again without my thoughts taking over. On day 14 of 20mg and staying on this dose at the moment. Don’t let reviews scare you!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I just want to say if you are hesitant to take this medication, don’t be! it’s wonderful! and STOP GOOGLING SIDE EFFECTS! I did this and it this put way too many ideas into my head when I finally started taking Prozac. I put off taking this medication for far too long, and finally caved in taking it when my anxiety started causing me to fall into depression. I was too afraid to even go to sleep by myself before taking this, and within my first dose (only 10mg) I slept through the night all by myself. Everyday I have continued to feel a bit better. 1st month I started taking 10mg and by month 2 I am now on 20mg. Before taking this I was suffering with panic attacks multiple times a week and now haven’t had one since I started. The power of medication is truly amazing. Once you start, stay strong and power through! Be patient. Even if this medication isn’t the fit for you, don’t fret, there are plenty of other options available. You will get through this!! Start taking your meds TODAY!!”

Pumpkin pies January 7, 2021

For Depression: “Again another update - I’m due my 3 Month review I’m the next 2 weeks and a week ago I’d have said I need it increasing (I’m on 20mg) But this last week ITS KICKED IN! I cannot tell you the relief and elation I feel now. Life feels good again, and I don’t even have to try and make it good. It just is. Please please hang in there. If it’s unbearable then talk to your GP - you may need to change meds. But if it’s still just really horrible please wait til 12 weeks, then re-assess. The 12 weeks haven’t been terrible, each day different and varying in “bad” but honestly; I’m there now. I’m feeling good. Happy to talk to anyone that needs it x”

Redfinch · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “My third bout of severe anxiety has been building up for 3-4 weeks. No reason that I’m aware of had caused this condition. My husband and I have carried on at home with a schedule doing OK during COVID. All of a sudden the anxiety hit with a vengeance....My pDr told me to up my Lexapro and Clonazapam. No help as I continued fearfully. I found a psychiatrist who would see me but, took me off the benzo.(cold turkey...no relief from severe withdrawal). He started me on 20mg Prozac (dropped Lexapro). Result was a tailspin. Now talking to a therapist and working with my PDr. I’m 7 days on Prozac and working on a consistent morning schedule. My husband is very supportive and caring. I depend on Clonazapam while adjusting to the new Prozac. I am very hopeful that the next several weeks will improve my mental and physical state. I will report back each week to let you know of my progress. Let us all do this journey together.”

Lanners August 28, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “I’ve only been on Prozac for two months. In that period of time I have made a drastic increase in my mood, my ability to deal with daily stresses, and my ability to cope with my long-standing trauma. I was on Prozac originally when I was in high school, and due to my mother wanting me to stop by I stopped in high school. After being on Zoloft for a few months, more like close to a year, I wasn’t feeling anything. After not being on any medicine for a while, I’ve reached out to my primary care and told them Prozac was what worked for me in the past. I have been on Prozac since then and I have nothing but positive things to say. I am 24, semi underweight. I am also dealing with a lot of parental trauma, and a great deal of issues with my work and parents. I am unsure if that last part is helping anybody but I want to be as far as possible”

DG October 10, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: “Hello! I have now been on prozac for 7 months now and I can honestly say this medication has helped me so much! I use to have irrational thoughts and fears of getting sick and would not want to leave my house. I always told my self I don’t need medication, I can handle it myself. My advice, do not fear Prozac! It caused a few side affects the first 2 weeks but over time it became better. It gave me my thoughts back and I can do things without fear now. I started on 20mg and went up to 30mg after a month. My only regret was being scared and waiting over a year to finally do something to help myself. Do not be scared of the reviews, I have been where you were, and it WILL get better.”

CrimsonandClover December 19, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “The pandemic finally put me over the top and I went to my PCP and he gave me the anxiety test and he then prescribed this med + Ativan. He told me to only use the Ativan if I was having a really hard time until the Prozac started working. I could tell a difference the very next day and everyday I felt happier....better than I have felt in years. I, then realized how severe I had been. I regret not taking care of this years ago. I no longer worry about things and I am able to move on and get things done. I'm also able to breathe good and relax without feeling guilty about it. I used to always have tasks and let things kind of gloomily hang over my head, making me feel bad. This medication has changed my life. I do want to note that a couple of weeks after starting it, I had some difficulty sleeping throughout the night. I took Benadryl at night to stop that, then after a week I did not need it to sleep anymore. I sleep great and wake up in a good mood with energy every day now.”

Ben · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 12, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: “This medication is great for people who worry excessively. It softens the blows in life. I am thankful that this medicine is available to treat depression and anxiety. I have taken 40 mg per day for years. I remember what my life was like before this drug was prescribed to me. I am much better now. If you are reluctant to try this drug, please know that it has helped many people. I hope you are one of them.”

Slimlys September 21, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I cannot even put into words how much Prozac saved me. I was struggling badly with severe OCD and it was taking over my life. I couldn’t function like a normal person anymore and it was a very dark time for me. My doctor put me on Prozac and the first month I didn’t really notice a change. After the first month went by, everything got better for me. I noticed myself not worrying about OCD anymore and actually felt genuinely happy inside. It’s been 8 months on Prozac and I can honestly say I love my life now, I’m truly happy & OCD isn’t something I’m controlled by anymore. Although it never goes away completely, it is now 100 percent manageable. :)”