User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 1006 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had been experience anxiety for a long time, and have always been a worry wart in general. I had been going to therapy and my therapist suggested going to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety and prescribed me 20mg of fluoxetine. I gotta say, it has truly helped! I've been on it about 10 weeks now and I feel pretty great! I still get anxiety but nothing compared to what I had before. I'm also generally happier. My only complaints are that I don't sleep as well. I take the fluoxetine in the morning but still find myself waking up through the night which makes me very tired during the day. My libido has also basically disappeared since going on it so I will talk to my doctor about it. Other than that, it's great!"

Annnon July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "This is the magic pill. Taking this drug made me ace my exams and med school interview. My first semester last year was extremely stressful to the point that I wanted to drop out the of college and considered doing something really drastic and rash due to how rubbish I felt. I cried non stop, I struggled with exams. Taking fluoxetine made me less stressed, I was able to concentrate more. I noticed my thinking patterns changed. I was extremely pessimistic and sad about everything before but after taking the drug I started to view everything more positively. I felt like a magic switch redirected my thoughts in a different direction whenever I was thinking something negative. It made me more social and easier to get along with."

Kitthaygai (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking Prozac January 19th 2016. I ended Prozac April 19th 2017. It did nothing but horrible things for me ! I had major behavioral issues I could not control myself or my actions or thoughts . I was feeling down constantly always had issues. When I was taken off of it my behavior changed! I'm a complete different person . No suicidal thoughts nothing. Yeah I have depression here and there but I just have to get thru this on my own. I suggest you don't take this medication ."

Dd33emsss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was reluctant to begin fluoxetine because I'd had a terrible experience when my GP started me on 50mg of sertraline. Eventually I ended up going private and the psych prescribed me prozac but starting on a really low dose of 10mg for a week, then 20mg for 4 weeks and now 40mg for the last month. It's been great. Really cut down my intrusive thoughts to basically nothing, concentration is better, I'm enjoying life again! This is also due to a good therapist but the medication has definitely helped. Main side effect was sleepiness but having suffered with insomnia on and off for years, it's been great not dreading bedtime anymore. In the first couple of weeks of a new dose, I'd have a bit of brain fog but other than that, it's been great!"

ocdnomore July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Love love love it! Got my life back after 5 years of depression. I feel like myself again."

Swedishgirl July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "For the past several months I've had horrible PMS symptoms that last for two weeks out of every month. Anxiety, depression, fatigue, mood swings, crying fits, migraines. I would throw things across the room and scream at my fiance'. My doctor prescribed me 10mg/day of fluoxetine. I've tried many different antidepressants in the past with no luck, so I had low hopes that this would help. I'm so glad I tried this! I've been on this for five weeks and the only side effects are it takes me longer to have an orgasm, and my blood pressure is slightly lower. I had no PMS symptoms this month other than being slightly more tired. I feel like my stable, happy self again with no more horrible PMDD."

HollyBerry1891 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I'm 51 and premenopausal- for a few days each month around ovulation, I'd go from my normal self to an "Eeyore" state....the smallest things could set me off into an increasingly downward spiral of depression. When I finally told my amazing doctor about this, he explained that if it was truly PMDD and menopausal related, a very very small dose of Prozac for just a few days per month would help the problem tremendously. If it was actual depression, it would not work so well or so quickly. He was absolutely right! I am only using 5 mg, which is a dose so small that I have to get a 10 mg pill and break it in half. I take it for approx 3 days. It's critical that I take it at the very first sign of that depression before it is able to take root."

Perimenopause w/catamenial (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "10 days I'm feel a bit out of it- tired then wired but has alleviated the tense feeling from Pristiq 100mg & 50mg isn't enough to keep all anxious depression symptoms away. I think I need more of the S than the N in the SNRIs. I've taken zoloft previously with success but changed to Effexor then Pristiq for a little more motivation 4 years ago but it does cause weight gain for me compared to SSRIs. Prozac has killed my appetite & don't even think about food- bonus! I know it will improve in weeks. I started at 5 mg for 10 days kept taking Pristiq EOD I'll go to 10mg &Pristiq every 3rd day then cut Pristiq. Don't do withdrawals & why do people have obsession with trying to get off meds if they work stay on them of course you will crash you idiots!"

Carchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking prozac in April of 2016 for anxiety and depression. It took about a month to actually start working. I feel better going into public and don't freak out and go into the bathroom. I'm still depressed but its improved so much. It gave me side effects like lose of appetite. I lost 10 pounds my first month taking it and I was always tired but had trouble falling asleep. Another negative is if I miss it a day I have painful headaches and lash out on everyone and treat them terrible."

bug. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Worked very well for me for about ten years then for some unknown reason it just stopped doing its job. This drug and Elavil are the only two out of the handful of meds I have used that actually work and have no nasty side effects. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from panic and if it does not work for you try Elavil next. If it wasn't for these two meds life would be absolute crap!"

13crocs (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been on Prozac over many years. It has helped me with major depression, social anxiety, eating disorder... I would not want to live without it ever again."

cheesecakebinge (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "This is my second time taking Prozac. I took it for two years before for panic attacks, insomnia, OCD and it did wonders. After a month my head cleared up, my memory improved as well as my sleep. (No longer waking up in the middle of the night worried about things). Only downside is that I tend to gain a lot of weight on it. As soon as I stopped last time the weight came off almost immediately. I plan to watch what I eat and exercise more this time. After a month now I have already started feel 2000% better and sleeping sooo good."

Sooo good (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "So I have always suffered from anxiety and I went to therapy for a while and my therapist suggested seeing a mental health nurse practitioner who can maybe set me up with something. She referred me to the doctor who prescribed me Prozac and it's been working great! I've been on it for about a month now. The first two weeks were a little rough, I was feeling more depressed and experienced a loss of appetite and even threw up a couple of times (though I'm not sure if that was the medicine or if I caught a stomach bug). However at about the 3rd week I started feeling great! I was much happier and more engaged at work. I've been feeling so good I'm starting to think I may have had depression. My only complaint is my sex drive is totally gone"

Anon2345 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have limited history with psych meds & I haven only tried two other antidepressants (Zoloft and Remeron). Both were awful for me. Side effects outweighed any minimal benefit they may have had. But since taking Prozac, nearly two weeks ago, my mood has changed entirely. I take it in the morning and it gives me a sense of purpose and excitement to experience the day. Before, I was having panic attacks so bad before work I would consider calling in. Prozac has not had any negative SSRI side effects like I had with sertraline, but I am going to continue paying attention to how I feel over time on this. My anxiety is minimal and melatonin currently has me sleeping like a baby. I hope it never stops working for me. For now, this medicine is great."

Klee9983529443 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been on Prozac for a month now. I was hesitant because I have tried antidepressants in the past and they did not agree with me. I am shocked at how I am feeling. I am calm. My social anxiety (that I thought was more of a personality trait) is gone. I feel compelled to take care of myself. I have energy. I am happy. Like many, I had a paralyzing fear of June bugs. I stupidly left my outside light on the other evening and came home to their swarm. I unlocked the door and even swatted one away from my ear and walked in the house. My heart rate didn't even increase. I am a whole new person."

courtsaloo June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Been on this medication for a few years now. I've tried Viibryd, Lexapro, Prozac, and Paxil and Prozac has worked the most efficiently. It doesn't seem to me like I'll ever find an antidepressant that makes me feel like sunshine and rainbows. It just numbs the pain really. I have major depression and while I do wonder if there are any "happy" pills that up your mood significantly, I'm too afraid to try any other antidepressant. especially after switching to Paxil. I became very depressed on Paxil"

Mer Mer June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "I had started prozac while I was in my recovery for bulimia and it worked incredibly to stop my binges and regulate my eating. I was beyond impressed. I stopped taking it after about a year and a half out of recovery and immediately started noticing I had serious anxiety issues and the depression came back. After about 6 months of being off of prozac, I recently was put back on it at my regular 60mg and it still works. While I don't suffer from bulimia anymore (or have controlled those symptoms), prozac has provided the stability I was begging my brain for. If you're someone who gets depressed in the winter months, has problems concentrating, and has tremors from anxiety - take this!"

veggiebowl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have struggled with anxiety and depression for about 25 years. After almost dying from meningitis in 1993, post traumatic stress disorder became an issue as well. My general physician recently diagnosed me with major depression disorder as well. She is an amazing Doctor who took extra schooling for psychology and pain management. She suggested I try Prozac. I had heard so many bad and controversial things about Prozac, but decided to ignore the naysayers and try it. I've been on it about 2 weeks. Not noticing too much yet, but I am going to hang in there as I know it can take 6 to 8 weeks for full benefits. I realize I can't expect something to work right when I want it to work. it takes time. Giving it a chance. Will update."

ProzacNation468 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "So I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. To treat PTSD and OCD intrusive thoughts. I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. I'm on my 11th day. Today I woke up feeling extremely anxious. Border of a panic attack so I took half of a 0.5 lorazepam to take the edge off. I do notice that at times my intrusive thoughts and normal ones just race going back and forth. But physically I am calm. I'm not breaking down as easily which I have noticed improvement. This is why I'm hanging in there. And giving this a chance. I do notice something that has heightened, and that would be my urge to run and be outside. It's all fed by my anxiety that's why I don't let it bother me much. I have noticed that I am walking outdoors more often."

Juvelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "For ME, Prozac has made everything more clear (not a zombie!), and over time has made me more comfortable/ confident with who I am. l have been taking it for 13 years now, and will be going up to 80mg soon. I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and very mild depression. My OCD and social anxiety was the worst. The negative or "what if" thoughts going through my mind was so loud/present that I would either need to be constantly distracted or mentally try to clear my mind. It was hard to work, and focus on the things I loved or even have a relationship. It was so mentally and physically exhausting. I finally decided to take medication/ Prozac. I take the generic form, anyway it's definitely one of the best decisions I have made in my life."

Art freak (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I have always had issues with anxiety, mild panic, and OCD, but it was manageable. I developed panic disorder in the fall and become reclusive and a hypochondriac because of the panic attacks. After a litany of tests that came back normal and time with physical and mental therapists (which both helped but did not completely cure the attacks), I caved and started fluoxetine 10mg. The first few weeks I was jittery, but that is the only side effect, and it went away. My panic subsided days in. I've been on it for 2.5 months now and have been panic free for the last month. I've also noticed a reduction in the amount of headaches I get​. I was TERRIFIED to give this drug a chance, but glad I did. I finally have my life back!"

elizabeth1516 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Omg I'm glad I stuck to this medication..words can't describe how much better I feel after 3 weeks of takin it..I had boost my self up to 40mg and I will be honest and let my doctor know. NowI feel so levelled, clear minded and naturally happy. I feel like myself. I even have more energy . I take Gabapentin 3 times a day, prozac soon as I wake up and seroquel for sleep. If you are really mentally ill prozac is the PERFECT medicine..it's a MIRACLE!"

Brin June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Works for me and no more panic attacks and illogical negative/automatic thoughts. I can 'manage' my depression which I guess is for life but I'm philosophical about it as I was a mess before Fluoxetine. However - I got cocky a few months back and stopped my 20mg daily dosage.Felt fine (for a while) then it came back and bit me in the ass with panicky rushes and illogical negativity (which thankfully I now recognize as part of the symptoms) Been taking it again for over a month and feeling awful right now and in a few weeks I'm hoping for stability to return."

BB McGraw June 11, 2017