User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 1038 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Depression: "It is a very good medicine. I did not get any side effect from it."

Phanikanth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with some panic. It was a miserable situation and although I gutted it out for many years, I finally decided to try meds. My doctor prescribed Prozac, 10 mg initially. I'm not going to lie, those first couple of weeks were rough. It actually made me MORE anxious and pretty jittery. Sleep was not restful. But then just about the time I was going to give up (2-3 weeks into it) and try something else, I started feeling better. Eventually, I felt a LOT better. I now take 20 mg/daily and I feel like I got my life back. I don't think I realized how small my life had become until the anxiety abated. For someone who can gut out the initial few weeks, it is so worth it."

SammyMN (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Prozac saved my life. Before Prozac, I had constant suicidal thoughts, fatigue, and a foggy mind. I forgot what it was like to be happy, and now I wake up feeling that I have a purpose in this world."

Littlelaur (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Prozac after the Cymbalta didn't seem to be working for me any longer. I started out taking 10mg per day, now I am taking 20mg per day. I had been taking the Prozac at night before going to bed but noticed I was having a lot more trouble getting to sleep. After reading the dosing information, I realized that I needed to be taking this medication in the morning. So I will start that in the morning by holding off my dose tonight. For the time that I've been taking this medication, I have not had depressive episodes that I was unable to handle and taking the depression test, it was not as high as it had been in the past. So for now, I will continue this med but just change to taking it in the morn."

Brezie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I have suffered 25 to 35 hot flashes day and night, heavily for around 2 years it has affected my quality of life in every way. My work uniform saturated. Then in winter I get chills after the flashes that last up to four to five minutes. Sometimes just over. Anyway I asked the doc a few days ago for small dose of prozac. I feel odd for sure. But not to bad. My triggers that I know of are smoking, tea, coffee, soda, icecream, chocolate...spices, etc. Everything I love. Anyway I cut back on smokes and soda. Cut out heaps of spices. This is day 2 of 10mg of prozac. Will keep updating this thread. Now day 6. Flashes have become shorter and less intense. I'm having maybe 4 at night. Compared to 12 to 15. Through the day maybe 6.."

Keza64 September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "I'd struggled with bulimia and depression for many years, I was prescribed Prozac to mainly treat my depression, and partly the eating disorder. With my personal experience with bulimia I never had the urges to binge eat, just to make myself vomit after eating proper sized portions of food. I had found that the Prozac had helped stopped the urges to throw up after eating quite effectively. The only side effect being that once I had stopped taking it the urges returned immediately. Currently and trying to battle those thoughts without being prescribed medication, but may go back onto it if I'm unsuccessful after a year, or so."

Mich2900 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Prozac is one of the most wonderful anti depressants they ever made. It took me about 2 weeks to get past the side effects which were heightened anxiety, some panic, unable to eat, crying, and upset stomach. I started on 10mg and went to 20 after about 2 weeks. It's a god send. I take welbutrin xl 300 also but added the Prozac to combat the panic I was experiencing. I took Prozac years ago for maybe 3 years and it worked excellent then too. It did a "poop out suddenly when I had a traumatic life event. Since its been a few years I am back on it and recommend it to everyone. It's tough pushing through the side effects to start but the bright light is at the end of the tunnel."

Cheryl2280 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Just wanted to share my experience. Woke up in the middle of the night 2 weeks ago with a massive panic attack that I thought was a heart attack. Went to the ER two nights in a row because they just wouldn't stop. Saw my doctor the next day and was diagnosed with general anxiety and panic disorder. Was prescribed 20 MG prozac (fluoxetine). First week was horrible, almost all my symptoms increased couldn't eat lost my sex drive. It's now a week in and I can't even tell you how much better I feel. Everything is back to normal eating like crazy, sex drive is back this drug is a miracle. It will probably worsen your symptoms at first but think of it as an investment and keep pushing through and you should feel better. Hope this helps anyone."

Caius91 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have suffered from PMDD for many years. Exactly two weeks prior to my period I would notice a change in the way I felt. I would become very depressed and anxious. I would cry for no reason and have little patience with everyone around me. After suffering for many years and trying two antidepressants that gave me bad side effects my doctor recommended serafem. This is only my second month and I only take it 14 days prior to menses but I feel a big difference. I don't feel as anxious and I'm not crying at every little thing. This pill has limited my PMDD symptoms drastically. I highly recommend for PMDD sufferers."

JS01 August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This medicine is magic. I swear. It has worked wonders for me! I wish I would have been put on this long before any others. Might I add, NEVER try Paxil. Don't do it. You'll thank me later. Anyhow, Prozac has been a total game changer for me. I was skeptical at first because of how many ppl say they suffer from sexual side effects, but let me tell you, there's none of that here! I haven't had a single negative side effect from Prozac! I feel happy and energized. Works great for my severe depression and anxiety! I take 20mg a day. One of the oldest, best crazy meds around!!!"

afwifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Amazing effective medicaction. Works like magic. Makes me relax and happier and enhanced my sexual drive. Very safe and I LOVE IT. Overall, this medication changed my life and enhanced everything and helped me function in a very short time that I stopped taking it."

AnonArabF (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Hi everyone, I have had severe depression accompanied with suicidal thoughts, since I was about 12. I'm 22 now, and sought treatment when I was 17. I tried Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Remeron, and even tried to self-medicate with Heroin. Prozac/Fluoxetine, 20mg a day, was a game changer for me. It came with no side effects, and a month into it life seemed so much brighter, and I was given my life back. If it weren't for Fluoxetine I would be dead by now. I've been taking it for 3+ years and no plan on stopping. Please, if you suffer from depression, give Prozac/Fluoxetine a try. It has literally saved my life. Good luck to you all."

Light of Hope (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I'm 18 and I had horrible PMDD from the first time I got my period. Depression, suicidal, panic attacks, uncontrollable anger. For two weeks my life would stop, I'd take off from school and work and sit in my room for days on end. I went on fluxotene 20mg when I was 17 and it has changed my life! I've suffered from a lot of mood swings and outbursts typical of a teenager, but mine were so out of control. Fluxotine has allowed me to take control of my life and be the best person I can be. No negative side effects besides some sleeplessness when starting the drug."

Jthejetplane August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "For the last 4 years my PMT has lasted 2 weeks of the month. Common symptoms fatigue, anxiety, no motivation, depression and anger/rage. Screaming at my little boy. (This wasn't the sort of mum I was going to be!!). Took a while to persuade my Dr to let me try this. I take 20mgs from day 15 of my cycle for 14 days and I feel like a different person. Mostly the rage has gone. I feel like me again. It takes about 2 doses to kick in so I usually start taking it on day 13. Only side effects was indigestion so I don't take it before bed. Wish I'd known about it years ago."

Chook10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had the WORST reaction to this medicine. I was on 20mg and my body rejected it terribly. The first few days were fine and then after the 4th day or so I became very glazed over and out of it. It was as if I was a walking zombie. I then started waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks. I had never had one before so I was very scared. My doctor told me to come off of it and the withdraw from this was even worse. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. Overall I had a very negative experience but my mom takes this medicine and she loves it. Could just depend on the person I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "Update: 24days in and I'm done. I could deal with all the side effects but on day 22, something called brain zaps started. They are painful "zaps" and continue through out the day. I thought I must be having an aneurism. I HAVEN'T MISSED A DAY. 20mg. Calling Doctor for best way to exit this. I rather put up with the night sweats."

Stop the hot flash August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Ok so I also have depression, anxiety and body dismorphic disorder. I am a recovering alcoholic, and up until my last relapse I took Prozac. I then switched to Effexor (after being on Prozac for approx 8 years), and my compulsions went away! I only realized how compulsive Prozac makes me b/c I restarted it (as an add on) about 2 weeks ago. I haven't had thoughts (obsessions) about hair, makeup, alcohol, ANYTHING up until I restarted Prozac. I just figured this out, and I'm blown away-- it explains so much of why I felt how I did all thru growing up, and the subsequent disorders I garnered. In me, it creates what feels like an itch inside my brain, and this itch latches on to something external (obsession). I try to wait it out, it (can't.)"

Aud.B. August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was reluctant to go on an SSRI as I was concerned about weight gain and fatigue. However, I was in such a bad headspace back in the spring that I bit the bullet and saw my doctor about it. She prescribed me generic Prozac (fluoxetine). Initially I was on 10 mg, then worked up to 20 mg. It's made such a positive difference. I haven't had any near-panic attacks, and my anxiety feels much more manageable. Life feels easier. I've had some side effects, such as excessive yawning (and I mean excessive!), some mild nausea, and vivid dreams. To me, though, the benefits far outweigh them. I'm going to keep taking it and use the coping skills I learned in therapy."

Julian Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Prozac worked great for me for about 2 years and then it quit being effective. Apparently this experience is so common it's even called "Prozac poop-out." At age 41 I started taking 10 mg daily, then increased to 20. For the first week or two I felt slightly nauseated and had trouble getting an erection. Then those side-effects vanished, and I felt not only happier but more functional (at the time I was a university professor). I wrote 2 published novels during those two years. A wonderful side-effect is that I gained total ejaculatory control. Suddenly I was the lover I'd always wanted to be! But after the Prozac honeymoon, I found myself feeling anxious and depressed again and the Prozac was just making me sleepy. So I quit. C'est la vie."

retired prof (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was previously on Paxil 30mg. I weaned myself off of it because I felt it wasn't working anymore, and also the weight gain was horrible. 25lbs in 6 months!! I was meds free for about a week before I decided I definitely need something. My depression and anxiety was creeping it's way back in, and I just felt horrible overall. Went back to the DR, and she gave me Prozac 20mg. My brain was already adjusted to SSRIs, so there wasn't much of a side effect period. Actually, I don't recall any side effects at all! But let me just tell you, Prozac (fluoxetine) is AMAZING! My depression and anxiety are gone!! I go outside so much more. This is the first time in my life I can ever remember waking up and thinking, "What CAN I do today!""

E Reynolds (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I took fluoxetine all through my adolescence and it did nothing for my depression. We kept increasing the dosage to the maximum safe limit but nothing changed. However, the symptoms did not get worse and the only adverse side effects were gastric reflux and nausea immediately after taking it."

rongeromy (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was very scared of starting Prozac because of the reviews I read. I also had tried lexapro and had major panic attacks that made me go off of it. I have been on Prozac for 4 weeks and am just starting to feel the benefits. I feel I can think more clearly and am not living life in constant stress or fear. I wish I started in sooner. I feel so much better almost like "wow this is what life for non stresses people is like" Side effects I experienced: 2 days out of month felt more anxious then normal and have had a little nausea but hardly any. It's been great."

Kellyp8765 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "8 days in and I feel gross. I'm nauseous, feel blah, runny nose (read that was a side effect for "mature" women), light headed and sweating bullets. This is suppose to help with the hot flashes? I'm trying to be patient. Ready to quit."

Stop the night sweats July 29, 2017