User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I take this medicine primarily for obsessive compulsive disorder, but I also have depression and general anxiety disorder that it helps with. I took it several years ago but it pooped out on me, and my psychiatrist decided to try it again about two years ago. I worked up to 80 mgs because she said that I needed a really high dosage. I take it when I wake up in the morning and find it activating. It's so weird because I find things that I realize I do now that I would've never done before being on this medicine. It's such a good feeling each time I realize that and am reminded of how far I've come. I love this medication and really, really hope I can stay on it this time and not have it poop out on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It works but it can be ineffective in some situations. I've used it for over a year switched from a max of 40 MG to 20 MG twice. It is not effective for me personally to take just one a day, so my doctor prescribed me to take two 20 MG pills of Prozac a day and has proven more effective. There are some things Prozac has not fixed with my obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD) even with taking 2 pills a day."

Jared T May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "14 days on 20mg. I am edgy and wobbly, no appetite, forced myself to eat, so I am eating less. Taking advantage of that because I am also a diabetic and hard to go to sleep. I am sticking with the medicine. Have some relief of bad thoughts. Hope it gets better."

6521L May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed for OCD mixed type. My psychiatrist prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. The first 7 days were very bad. Extreme fatigue & tiredness, the typical "zombie" feeling associated with AD's. But on my 15th day the fatigue has reduced considerably & my OCD thoughts have become very easy to control. Also I can avoid my rituals now. The medication has worked for me & I think in the coming months will do me more good. I'm grateful for opting for it as I tried all the "natural" ways but with a mental illness when you don't get results you tend to get discouraged & leave the process midway. I wasn't getting better & thus finally overcame the fear of medication. Stop googling as it will only scare you & visit your doctor."

atifhussain18 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on prozac for mild depression and mild OCD. The dosage kept increasing over the years as it was less effective, until I was on 80mg for the last five years. I had to come off it as it gave me tinnitus and then hyperacusis (severe). I tried other medications which made this much louder... and it has remained even though it has been 2 years off all drugs. Coming off the prozac was so traumatic, my anxiety was so extreme I had a complete nervous breakdown, was paranoid and my ocd became extreme. I now have permanent hyperacusis, tinnitus, anxiety, severe OCD. I cannot leave the house and live in hell. I cannot hear any music AT ALL as it gets stuck in a loop. prozac has absolutely ruined my life"

sadlittleowl (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has saved my life. after suffering with OCD for 16 years it has helped so much. I never thought I could be so happy and relaxed as I have been while using this medication. It has calmed my anxiety, anxiety about my OCD, my obsessive thoughts and helped regulate my sleep. can't recommend enough."

AnitaHxx (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "As Lanie, the poster below me stated, Prozac also seemed to only make me worse. I'm sure it has genuinely worked for many people, otherwise it wouldn't have such a high average rating, but I know for a fact it only contributed to my symptoms (paranoia, impulses, unwanted thoughts) rather than relieved them. I cut it cold turkey back in college and suffered a few more years without meds before finding some relief with Celexa, but Prozac was definitely not a pleasant experience for me."

Dean108 January 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Fluoxetine changed my life. My postpartum experience after our second child was hell on Earth and I thought I would end up permanently crazy. It took months to feel the full impact -- so PLEASE hang in there. I wanted to quit Prozac so many times but thank goodnes I stuck it out. I cannot say enough good points about this medication."

Cataline12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I have always been ignoring my OCD which I am suffering for two years. Finally my obsessive & compulsive thoughts compelled me to go for psychiatrist. I started taking fluextine 20mg a month ago. The initial few weeks were hard to handle my daily life but after the side effect weeks I started feeling better & better. Now I'm on 40mg and feel much more relaxed just like I got my previous life again. Just don't loose hope of course there is relief after adversity."

Baloch Hassan_zai December 3, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After 2 weeks, this crap called medication made my OCD WORSE, Then a few weeks later i was so depressed that i couldn't even get out of bed. I went from being a healthy lady with moderate ocd, to a majorly depressed obese pig in 2 months. Thanks prozac. Dont put this depression (causing) pill down your throat. Talk to your doctor about other options. Also, i just want to let you all know something, 50% of psychiatrists will do anything to make their appointment with you quicker, even if that includes just opening their book of medications and picking a random one in your category (in my case, ocd). Always try medication free solutions BEFORE popping a pill. eg, ocd training, therapy, natural treatments, etc"

LanieMal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started this week and can see small improvements, hopefully it keeps going this way and I'll feel good about myself again"

Higz (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm pretty much the same as the most recent poster. I have severe OCD to the point where I lost my family through it an have been battling with alcohol for a nber of years now. I stopped taking my flu when I 'thought' I felt better. Not realising the flu was the reason my moods where gone and my obsessions limited down to a more handable level. I'm back on 60mg now and feel really good. On top of councilling and then CBT I'm moving forward and will get my life back on track. Stopping my medication was one of the worst things I've done."

Joshd (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was put on Prozac (20mg) for severe OCD and anxiety 2 years ago and took it for a little bit over a year and it helped tremendously. I was dumb and stopped taking it and over the course of 5-6 months my OCD and anxiety slowly got worse to the point where I had been when I first started taking the medicine. I just started back up on it about 3 weeks ago and the first week on it was bad for me. I had lots of anxiety and suicidal thoughts. But here recently I'm starting to notice some improvement in my anxiety. Don't stop taking Prozac just because you feel better. I found out the hard way and it's not worth it."

pr72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "If you scroll down a bit to 2014, you will find my rave review of Prozac for OCD and more than 100 people found it useful as well which is great. Now it's 2016, a year and a half later and I went from 115 lbs (I NEVER struggled with weight) to 151 lbs today and I'm just 5'2". My diet did NOT change. In fact I battled anorexia in my teens. I just don't enjoy food that much and still don't. I truly believe some people may eat more, but ultimately it messes with your thyroid and hormones bad. So, this is what I'll say: Prozac is pure genius and DOES work very, very well. You will probably lose weight in the first few months, and then as you approach a year the weight comes on fast and hard."

Southern Summer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been having anxiety and other symptoms such as weight loss. I was diagnosed with OCD and started on 10mg prozac. I battled with side effects for the first month of increased anxiety, nauseousness and sleeping problems. At about the 5 week mark the negative side effects went away and I started to feel some relief from the anxiety caused by the OCD. I was increased to 20mg which seems to be enough for me. I have now been on it for over a year. I feel so much better. Like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders and I no longer worry and obsess. I have gained some weight but the anxiety had made me lose weight so I think I am able to eat now because I feel better. I don't sweat the small stuff in life anymore!!"

OCDin PA (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Prozac in 1993. I actually was suicidal and depressed in 1972, but the kind of treatment prescribed was to see a shrink, which I didn't talk to. I tried to kill myself (unsuccessfully) many times. I just didn't want to live anymore, a very terribly sad feeling of not belonging, even in family gatherings. In 1993 I started 20 mg of Prozac, first week was great...I was very energetic and I didn't feel like eating, but after that it evened out and I felt better. I then went up to 40 mg. Two years ago I started pulling my hair out. Went up to 80 mg, but was too much and my doc kept me on 60 mg. I still can't stop pulling my hair out. Does Prozac cause this OCD? I thought it was supposed to help it."

Suicidal In High School February 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had to switch to this after sertraline didn't work when I tried to go back on it. OCD blew up as soon as I stopped my previous SSRI and I ended up sick. Always consult your doctor and if you have severe OCD, it's an SSRI for life... Fluoxetine had the usual side effects: suicidal, anxious, worsening of depression and tiredness. Unfortunately you just have to work through this with these meds. After a few weeks I started to see some slow progress and my obsessions decreased. I was still severely depressed and I augmented this with risperidone. That too made me a bit crazy for a few days but after a couple of weeks I was able to return to work after 3 months off. These meds take time. 18 months on I'm just on fluoxetine 60mg and feel great!"

Gregocd February 15, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Fluvoxemine (Luvox) starting at age 7, took it for 3 years. I am not 24 and I have been on fluoxetine for almost 7 months,and just recently got bumped up to 40mg ( 2 weeks ago). I have such bad depression and anxiety that it barely makes a dent, but it does help with my intrusive thoughts a lot. I notice as far as side effects, all of the initial ones have gone away by about month 3. All I have left is very minor short-term memory loss, and talking in my sleep. I'm not as sleepy as I used to be either. I would recommend staying away from caffeine altogether while on fluoxetine. I wish there was another way. I spent 14 years dealing with my severe Pure-Obsessional OCD without treatment. Some of us need this medicine."

Chris DiPaolo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "First week was hell, more anxiety and panic attacks. Had to leave work early one day for the anxiety, also left a family event early. But now... Starting second week and starting to feel like myself again! As long as things continue this way will be happy on this drug! Without the first weeks' side effects would give it a 10."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had all of these horrible thoughts racing through my mind for 5 weeks before I started Prozac. I kept thinking about dying, my family dying. I feared time and death and could not stop the racing thoughts no matter what. I thought I would never get better, but then a week after starting Prozac, I no longer had any racing thoughts! It has brought me back into the moment. No more intrusive thoughts :)"

Julian1227 November 5, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Glad I stuck it out, My prozac started working really good in the 7th week..Before that, confusion{ do I spell my daughters name with a y or t, etc}}short term memory loss, severe anxiety, I was walking the park 5 hrs a day trying to get balance...wanted to quit prozac, but I knew prozac magnified all these problems"

tall tree (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've taken a lot of different medications over the years which never really made me feel much better. I've been taking fluoxetine 60 mg for 2 months now and have noticed a big change for the better!! I am so much more relaxed and less stressed at work. "

Anonymous October 3, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on prozac now for a while as I suffer from ocd and ptsd also. I feel as if it has made me crazier, if thats possible. Some days I can't stop twitching, feel full of energy and experience nausea. Other days my bones hurt, I feel not fully awake and just odd. Keeping in mind that daily, I have a high levels of caffeine and smoke marijuana. and not daily, but weekly I drink quite a bit of alcohol. I have noticed alcohol and prozac really don't mix. but nevertheless, I am still taking 20mg daily (which i do not think is enough) but then some days I want to stop taking it altogether? I do not although prozac doses shouldn't be skipped but evidently the only words I can use to describe this drug is odd and weird and idk???! uuGh"

buffalo soldier October 2, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I wasn't sure if this drug was helping with OCD. When asked I would reply, "it seems to make it easier to deal with it". Then my Doc decided to lower my dose in order to take me off it. When I got to 60mg I lost it. The obsessive thoughts were out of control. Compulsions increased as well. I am back on 100mg and feeling and thinking much better. The med helps a lot, but doesn't fix me completely. I challenge my compulsions every day so I can reinforce that I do not need them."

dariley38 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi ive been on prozac 60mg for 10years the drug is miraculous it got me out of a hole, but as i suffer from ocd i decided to self medicate with drink and drugs also that led me me to a 12 step fellowship! Now 7half years without a drink or drug im self medicating on prozac which is not v good! It got to last friday i had taken probly 4 tablets in 2 weeks and just crashed! Im now back on 60mg a day but having bouts of anxiety again and thinking its not real, im hoping this is just the side affects of the prozac again getting in system, im tired headache and anxiety thinking"

Taximan42 August 23, 2015