User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Prozac, Sarafem Selfemra

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

RayRay · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm starting Prozac today and I'm currently on Zoloft but I've been weaning off of it. I tried about everything except Prozac so we'll see how it goes. Zoloft did help my OCD by didn't cure it.”

Jerry · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I’m 40 and for last 15 years have tried and stopped taking many many different SSRI’s and anti-psychotics Meds. Mostly stopped mental drugs cause of side effects, made depression / anxiety worse, and some other issues. But dang! Was on Prozac for last year and this vintage SSRI from the early 1990s has worked better and much much more tolerable than any other drug I have tried.”

Youarestrong · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2020

“Man, where do I begin?! I was so scared to try an antidepressant. For 10 years I have tried to fight this on my own with therapy, exercise, diet.. you name it! I finally had enough and decided to try a medication. I am on 20mg of Fluoxetine/prozac. The first 3-4 weeks were rough with side effects (ear ringing, jaw clenching, excess yawning, tiredness, diarrhea) but then eventually all of that leveled out. Around week 6 I started to feel like my old self, before all the OCD and anxiety. Now, around month 3, I feel amazing. People in my life are commenting on how much more carefree I seem. It really has taken that weight off my shoulders. I still do therapy, exercise and meditate which I believe is important to do because without putting in the work alongside the medication, the antidepressant is nothing but a bandaid.”

Anonymous May 13, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “This medication Prozac has helped me so much and has truly saved my life. My OCD and panic attacks were taking over my life to the point where I felt I could barely function. When this medicine began working for me I felt that I finally am the person I want to be if my OCD and anxiety did not stand in my way. This medication was absolutely amazing for my OCD and anxiety/panic attacks. I am on 50mg.”

Janey12 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Fluoxetine helped to get me out of a bad place with regards to my OCD. I'm so thankful to it. Compared to other medications that I've taken in the past, it has very few side effects, especially in terms of weight gain etc. Alongside therapy, it's changed my life. Without even realising it, my compulsions and ruminating lessened dramatically. It's worth going through the first three weeks of transition, to experience the final effects.”

Alex April 4, 2020

“Hello everybody, I wanted to share my experience of taking fluoxetine to hopefully shed some light on this complex drug. I suffer from harm OCD or intrusive thoughts, not the more widely known OCD where you perform various rituals like Jack Nicholson's character. I never understood what these intrusive thoughts were and how much they affected me, I didn't even know if would have a diagnosis of some sort to finally identify what I have been going through for the past 13 years of my life. I started taking fluoxetine 5 weeks ago but it takes much longer to feel the therapeutic effect, I'm guessing at least 7-8 weeks. I'm on 40 mg and have noticed and a very positive change but still have some of those intrusive thoughts lingering. But this drug has definitely created a whole new outlook on my life, it has been life changing and life saving. Thank you Prozac, you really gave me a chance to feel like a functional human being without feeling crippled by these obsessive thoughts. 10/10!”

Ana · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

“I have been on this medication fluoxetine for a little over a month. I should’ve been on it sooner but it sat in my kitchen cabinet for weeks after reading all of the bad reviews and side effects online. I wish I hadn’t done that and wish just started it because it has helped me soooo much. I started on 10mg and increased my dosage to 20mg after 3 weeks. I honesty started to feel better after a week and a half of taking it. Yes the side effects suck. I had panic attacks, nausea, night sweats, headaches BUT most of the side effects went away within 2 weeks. My psychiatrist put me on this medication because I have OCD, GAD, mild depression and some phobias. I was terrified to take this medication because of the side effects but I’m so glad I started taking it. It’s improved my life more than I ever thought it could!”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “My son takes prozac. Thing I like about it, it works for OCD. He still has it, but compared to how it was - the compulsions and tic like compulsions were almost unbearable. Then there was the hoarding! Since taking Prozac most of that has subsiding. He still hoards but it’s not near as extreme. He still has compulsions but it’s less and more manageable. My issue is, when we have periods and his OCD is ramping up, we have to increase and it seems like we have a honeymoon period and need to increase again. Also, for my husband, this medication was horrible. It did not work on him at all. He had better success with lexapro, but we were not trying to treat OCD with him. I think if you’re trying to treat OCD, this is a great option.”

heatherterra January 27, 2020

“I have been on this medication for 6 weeks due to a very bad flare in my generalised anxiety and OCD that left me barely functioning. When I first started, I felt very little relief and almost certainly felt worse. I felt uncomfortable and like my skin was crawling, OCD and intrusive thoughts got worse/more frequent, and I felt like I was going crazy. At 4 weeks, I started to notice some improvements and now at 6 weeks I am feeling almost back to normal. I am able to live my life again, my sleep is back on track, and my appetite has returned. My OCD and rumination has reduced significantly, and I have days where I am feeling better than I have in years. If you are just starting, be patient! I know that I am still not even feeling the full effects at this point, and that I will continue to have ups and downs, but already it has helped so much. 6 weeks feels like an eternity when you are suffering but you will get through.”

Tilda · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After trying countless medications including zoloft, lexapro, lovox, to name a few. I finally found the medicine that healed me. Before taking this medicine, I would do the most bizarre rituals including always selecting the right side of everything, touching objects repetitively, stepping on lines and more. The OCD was mentally draining. I will admit I have done exposure therapy alongside taking this medication, which has helped me tremendously. Have faith, this medicine is a lifesaver. Also if you suffer from OCD join a group on social media. There are more suffers than you think. Also make sure you take this medicine with food.”

Summer2019 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 1, 2020

“For those of you who are dealing with the initial agitation caused by Prozac, try propranolol and hydroxyzine for those issues they work great!”

AK November 4, 2019

“Prozac has helped diminish my OCD thoughts to almost nothing, It no longer disrupts my life. This drug is a lifesaver.”

Vicky · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “It did nothing for me. Generic meds don't work”

Depressed gal · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Helped me so much with both my depression and OCD. I still get anxiety but my life doesn't revolve around compulsions anymore. First 10-14 days were hard but so worth it. If you are struggling with depression and OCD its really worth giving prozac a try!”

Semsem October 22, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I benefited a lot from the medicine and combined with Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) it cured my OCD it takes around 2 year to completely cured and to have my thoughts under control and I continued used 20 mg of the medication to control anxiety. I am again successful in life I recommend with good CBT programme.”

Don89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I take it in the morning with my other meds. Less OCD.”

Ivanisawesome July 25, 2019

“I’ve been on Prozac for almost a year now and I love it so much. Before Prozac, I was spitting compulsively everyday for hours on end throughout the day. I would even wake up and spit compulsively sometimes because I thought that poison would go into my mouth and I needed to spit it out to rid my body of it. I also wear a medical mask on my face most of the time to “protect” me from poison in the air. After being on Prozac 80 mg for two and a half months, I began to slowly stop spitting as much. My compulsions went from happening 5-6 hours a day or sometimes the whole day to less than an hour a day. I still wear my medical mask and it’s certainly not a “cure all” but I’m very grateful for it. I do want to add that the first two or three months, there was an increased agitation and anxiety but that faded away eventually. Prozac took me about 3-4 months to really get full benefits from it. Give it time to work before you decide it may not be right for you.”

peaches · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After trying many forms of therapy for my OCD and anxiety I was beginning to feel as though nothing would work long-term. I started this medication 3 months ago and the dose has gradually gone up since then. The only side effects I’ve experienced is that I’m a little more fidgety than usual, and when I first started it I was a lot more anxious. However, after a few weeks of being on it I started to feel so much better. Now I’m on 20mg and it is definitely the best thing I’ve ever done. With a combination of cognitive behavioural therapy and Prozac I can’t believe how good I feel. I am less anxious, my mood is better, I can control my OCD more. It really does take a few weeks to kick in, but it really does work.”

ki 2 June 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I would like to speak about prozac. When I first started it I felt like giving up . I was on 20mg and I couldn't eat or sleep and my anxiety got so much worse. My thoughts went on overdrive and new OCD thoughts came.However I am now on it three months at 40mg dose and my brain is so much clearer. I can rationalise the thoughts. OCD is no fun but don't suffer . I went on here when I first started and I read a positive thread and it kept me going. Please don't lose hope .”

AutumnSwift2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2019

“I was prescribed Prozac after being switched off Zoloft after 7 years of taking it for anxiety and depression. I took Prozac for 2.5 years before being switched off it, and during that time it worked great for my anxiety and depression, but over a period of time I became aware of more frequent compulsive thoughts and actions. My OCD isn't as severe as other people's, but it was enough to become more noticeable after coming off Zoloft and onto Prozac.”

Boris · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Took Prozac two days. I felt like my soul and conscience were being stripped away. Very hard drug. Dangerous.”

M June 10, 2019

“I'm really freaking out. I have severe OCD and depression and am on day 12 of Prozac and the anxiety and terror I am experiencing are possibly the worst they've been. Does this pass? I know people say Prozac can initially heighten your anxiety but this is unbearable and I just don't know what to do. I'm hoping and praying the anxiety will settle. I've emailed my psychiatrist and waiting to hear back from them.”

Yellow · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Awful. Couldn't sit still for a minute onProzac, couldn't sleep, got kicked out of the cinema for moving too much. Had to get off it after three days, it was too much.”

Silly goose · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I keep meaning to share my review of this drug. I know there are many people reading these reviews just starting Prozac, and extremely anxious. Because at one point I was one of them. How long does it take for Prozac to work you may ask? Well the first few weeks are rough, then at 6 weeks it was like a switch went off and I felt so much better. Panic attacks gone, my OCD is under control (also with help of ERP therapy with psychologist) it has completely changed my life. I almost quit taking it the first few weeks because the side effects were so terrible, but with support from my family and online support groups I kept taking it. I’m here telling anyone struggling PLEASE give this medication at least 5-6 weeks before you quit taking it. Please hang in there. Prozac has literally saved my life.”

A289 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 16, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Prozac has been pretty good for the depression, my anxiety has been worse though. I get shaky when I get anxious and my knees feel wobbly. I don't feel some of the side effects such as heart palpitations or chest pressure just anxious. Zoloft caused heart issues but I felt like doing some things like going to the gym. With Prozac--no heart issues but I feel more on the lower end with less energy. Started 20 mg 5 months ago then 30mg for a month now 40 mg recently. I hope the anxiety gets better.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder