User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was reluctant to begin fluoxetine because I'd had a terrible experience when my GP started me on 50mg of sertraline. Eventually I ended up going private and the psych prescribed me prozac but starting on a really low dose of 10mg for a week, then 20mg for 4 weeks and now 40mg for the last month. It's been great. Really cut down my intrusive thoughts to basically nothing, concentration is better, I'm enjoying life again! This is also due to a good therapist but the medication has definitely helped. Main side effect was sleepiness but having suffered with insomnia on and off for years, it's been great not dreading bedtime anymore. In the first couple of weeks of a new dose, I'd have a bit of brain fog but other than that, it's been great!"

ocdnomore July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "For ME, Prozac has made everything more clear (not a zombie!), and over time has made me more comfortable/ confident with who I am. l have been taking it for 13 years now, and will be going up to 80mg soon. I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and very mild depression. My OCD and social anxiety was the worst. The negative or "what if" thoughts going through my mind was so loud/present that I would either need to be constantly distracted or mentally try to clear my mind. It was hard to work, and focus on the things I loved or even have a relationship. It was so mentally and physically exhausting. I finally decided to take medication/ Prozac. I take the generic form, anyway it's definitely one of the best decisions I have made in my life."

Art freak (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I don’t find a lot of positive stories about antidepressants, or I find stories where people are taking the antidepressant the wrong way. I wanted to share my experience. A positive one. I’ve had generalized anxiety disorder, SEVERE OCD, and panic disorder for as long as I can remember. My first memory of having an episode was when I was 4 years old at my kindergarten interview. I feel as though I was born with the illnesses mentioned above, right from the womb. When I was a child I was extremely anxious, had bad separation anxiety from my parents and had extreme OCD, I was just a kid and thought that the way I was feeling is how all kids felt, I didn’t realize that I was different. This went on, and got even worse in middle school. I began developing trichtilomania in middle school. In high school I went from being a 90% above student, to failing every class within a couple of years. I couldn’t leave the house. My panic disorder and gad caused debilitating physical symptoms. I would be shaking when I had to leave the house, I wouldn’t drink alcohol because I was afraid of vomiting, I was suffering so much, for my whole entire life with severe phobias, fears, and anxiety. I prayed and prayed and prayed to God every night for it to go away. I was a 16 year old living in a prison of her own mind. It never went away. Every single day was the worst day of my life, I would wake up and the thoughts just started, I never had a break. My life was exhausting. I am of east indian background and my parents didn’t understand mental illness well. It is very taboo in my culture. I went to tons of doctors and they told me it was just growing pains, no doctor ever told me that maybe I should see a therapist. I didn’t have any support. When I was 22 I attempted suicide. Luckily the attempt didn’t work and I was forced to go on medication. I was livid, I was so against antidepressants, I was so so so scared, it felt unnatural. My general practitioner put me on Effexor, I took it for almost 8 weeks, it helped me to not want to kill myself, but It also made me gain tons of weight which made me depressed, and it make me hear voices. One evening a voice told me to choke my mom, and I started freaking out and my parents drove me immediately to the hospital. At the hospital I talked to a psych nurse who calmed me down, and got me an appointment with a psychiatrist the next day. This appointment and this psychiatrist saved my life, and changed my entire life. I want to really mention that you should not be going to a General Practitioner for mental illness medication, you should ALWAYS…ALWAYS go to a psychiatrist no matter what. If your GP is the only person you are seeing to help you manage your meds for ocd, anxiety, etc, that is the WRONG MOVE. That is such a common mistake people are making, you NEED a psychiatrist in order to get the meds right, please do not just go to your regular doctor, you’ll be cheating yourself. I went to the psychiatrist appointment the next day. It was the first time I had ever seen a psychiatrist. I got into her room and we talked about everything, my childhood, my phobias, my ocd. She then brought my parents into the room to explain the whole situation to them and the fact that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and that I have been suffering for way too long. My parents were so supportive. The doctor told me I was on the wrong medication, that I never should have been placed on Effexor which is an SNRI, and that I should be on an SSRI considering my main problem is OCD and GAD. We talked a lot about it and she told me she would like to place me on Prozac. She said for me, because my neural pathways have been the same for 20 plus years, that I would need a higher dosage of Prozac especially for anxiety and OCD. I see on this forum, that so many people are on 20mg, or 40mg for anxiety disorders. You should be on 60mg at least, do not be afraid to go higher. People that say Prozac or an SSRI didn’t really do anything for their anxiety or ocd is because they are only taking a 20mg dose, That is not an OCD dose. 40-80mg for anxiety and OCD. Please up your dose. Use the medication, REALLY USE IT. Do not be afraid! My doctor started me on 40mg, eventually took me to 100mg, and then I went back to 80mg. Yes the side effects are insane, I was nauseated, I couldn’t sleep, I was shaking, I had anxiety, but she prescribed me Ativan and said to use it until the Prozac kicked in. That the Ativan would keep me comfortable until that happened. Don’t try to be a hero, use your Ativan or your Xanax or whatever to stay as comfortable as possible. I could write so much more, but I’ll conclude with this. 4 months after being on 80mg of Prozac everyday, I woke up one day and I was cured. Yes cured. I had no OCD, I had no anxiety, I no longer had fears or phobias. I was cured. You have no idea how that day felt. It was like the first day of my whole entire life. I woke up being the real me, who is free spirited and isn’t afraid of anything! I was finally free, I was no longer a prisoner. I didn’t even have to go to therapy. I just woke up one day a brand new person, from taking a high dose of Prozac every single day. DO NOT go off of the antidepressants. Your ocd, your anxiety, depression etc will come back. I WOULD never dream or even think to come off of my antidepressants, I have an illness, that will return if I go off the medication, because I have a brain disorder. OCD is a brain disorder. Do not stop taking medication for your brain disorder, do not try to fix your brain disorder with just a 20mg or 40mg dose. Own your medication, be on it for life. It’s been 5 years since I have been cured. If it wasn’t for Prozac, I would be dead. 1) You need a psychiatrist 2) Do not be afraid to take more than 40mg of Prozac to treat panic attacks etc, I am on 80mg a day and my life is a ball. It is so wonderful and so carefree. 3) Do not stop the meds. Be on the meds for life."

priya3434 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It took a few months for it to start to settle in, I think, but total game changer. 6 months ago I was in an awful state due to undiagnosed OCD & depression. Started going to therapy and taking prozac and now it feels like I'm standing on more solid ground. I haven't felt this good in years and feel silly for my past apprehension at trying SSRIs. Only side effects I've noticed are I'm a bit sleepy throughout the day and I'm having vivid dreams most nights (never remembered my dreams before taking prozac) but no complaints about the latter. Recently bumped up to 30 mg after being on 20 for a few months to try and kick the last of the obsessive thoughts. Really couldn't recommend enough. I can only hope this keeps working."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I take this medicine primarily for obsessive compulsive disorder, but I also have depression and general anxiety disorder that it helps with. I took it several years ago but it pooped out on me, and my psychiatrist decided to try it again about two years ago. I worked up to 80 mgs because she said that I needed a really high dosage. I take it when I wake up in the morning and find it activating. It's so weird because I find things that I realize I do now that I would've never done before being on this medicine. It's such a good feeling each time I realize that and am reminded of how far I've come. I love this medication and really, really hope I can stay on it this time and not have it poop out on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It works but it can be ineffective in some situations. I've used it for over a year switched from a max of 40 MG to 20 MG twice. It is not effective for me personally to take just one a day, so my doctor prescribed me to take two 20 MG pills of Prozac a day and has proven more effective. There are some things Prozac has not fixed with my obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD) even with taking 2 pills a day."

Jared T May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "14 days on 20mg. I am edgy and wobbly, no appetite, forced myself to eat, so I am eating less. Taking advantage of that because I am also a diabetic and hard to go to sleep. I am sticking with the medicine. Have some relief of bad thoughts. Hope it gets better."

6521L May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed for OCD mixed type. My psychiatrist prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. The first 7 days were very bad. Extreme fatigue & tiredness, the typical "zombie" feeling associated with AD's. But on my 15th day the fatigue has reduced considerably & my OCD thoughts have become very easy to control. Also I can avoid my rituals now. The medication has worked for me & I think in the coming months will do me more good. I'm grateful for opting for it as I tried all the "natural" ways but with a mental illness when you don't get results you tend to get discouraged & leave the process midway. I wasn't getting better & thus finally overcame the fear of medication. Stop googling as it will only scare you & visit your doctor."

atifhussain18 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on prozac for mild depression and mild OCD. The dosage kept increasing over the years as it was less effective, until I was on 80mg for the last five years. I had to come off it as it gave me tinnitus and then hyperacusis (severe). I tried other medications which made this much louder... and it has remained even though it has been 2 years off all drugs. Coming off the prozac was so traumatic, my anxiety was so extreme I had a complete nervous breakdown, was paranoid and my ocd became extreme. I now have permanent hyperacusis, tinnitus, anxiety, severe OCD. I cannot leave the house and live in hell. I cannot hear any music AT ALL as it gets stuck in a loop. prozac has absolutely ruined my life"

sadlittleowl (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has saved my life. after suffering with OCD for 16 years it has helped so much. I never thought I could be so happy and relaxed as I have been while using this medication. It has calmed my anxiety, anxiety about my OCD, my obsessive thoughts and helped regulate my sleep. can't recommend enough."

AnitaHxx (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "As Lanie, the poster below me stated, Prozac also seemed to only make me worse. I'm sure it has genuinely worked for many people, otherwise it wouldn't have such a high average rating, but I know for a fact it only contributed to my symptoms (paranoia, impulses, unwanted thoughts) rather than relieved them. I cut it cold turkey back in college and suffered a few more years without meds before finding some relief with Celexa, but Prozac was definitely not a pleasant experience for me."

Dean108 January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Fluoxetine changed my life. My postpartum experience after our second child was hell on Earth and I thought I would end up permanently crazy. It took months to feel the full impact -- so PLEASE hang in there. I wanted to quit Prozac so many times but thank goodnes I stuck it out. I cannot say enough good points about this medication."

Cataline12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I have always been ignoring my OCD which I am suffering for two years. Finally my obsessive & compulsive thoughts compelled me to go for psychiatrist. I started taking fluextine 20mg a month ago. The initial few weeks were hard to handle my daily life but after the side effect weeks I started feeling better & better. Now I'm on 40mg and feel much more relaxed just like I got my previous life again. Just don't loose hope of course there is relief after adversity."

Baloch Hassan_zai December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After 2 weeks, this crap called medication made my OCD WORSE, Then a few weeks later i was so depressed that i couldn't even get out of bed. I went from being a healthy lady with moderate ocd, to a majorly depressed obese pig in 2 months. Thanks prozac. Dont put this depression (causing) pill down your throat. Talk to your doctor about other options. Also, i just want to let you all know something, 50% of psychiatrists will do anything to make their appointment with you quicker, even if that includes just opening their book of medications and picking a random one in your category (in my case, ocd). Always try medication free solutions BEFORE popping a pill. eg, ocd training, therapy, natural treatments, etc"

LanieMal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started this week and can see small improvements, hopefully it keeps going this way and I'll feel good about myself again"

Higz (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm pretty much the same as the most recent poster. I have severe OCD to the point where I lost my family through it an have been battling with alcohol for a nber of years now. I stopped taking my flu when I 'thought' I felt better. Not realising the flu was the reason my moods where gone and my obsessions limited down to a more handable level. I'm back on 60mg now and feel really good. On top of councilling and then CBT I'm moving forward and will get my life back on track. Stopping my medication was one of the worst things I've done."

Joshd (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was put on Prozac (20mg) for severe OCD and anxiety 2 years ago and took it for a little bit over a year and it helped tremendously. I was dumb and stopped taking it and over the course of 5-6 months my OCD and anxiety slowly got worse to the point where I had been when I first started taking the medicine. I just started back up on it about 3 weeks ago and the first week on it was bad for me. I had lots of anxiety and suicidal thoughts. But here recently I'm starting to notice some improvement in my anxiety. Don't stop taking Prozac just because you feel better. I found out the hard way and it's not worth it."

pr72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "If you scroll down a bit to 2014, you will find my rave review of Prozac for OCD and more than 100 people found it useful as well which is great. Now it's 2016, a year and a half later and I went from 115 lbs (I NEVER struggled with weight) to 151 lbs today and I'm just 5'2". My diet did NOT change. In fact I battled anorexia in my teens. I just don't enjoy food that much and still don't. I truly believe some people may eat more, but ultimately it messes with your thyroid and hormones bad. So, this is what I'll say: Prozac is pure genius and DOES work very, very well. You will probably lose weight in the first few months, and then as you approach a year the weight comes on fast and hard."

Southern Summer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been having anxiety and other symptoms such as weight loss. I was diagnosed with OCD and started on 10mg prozac. I battled with side effects for the first month of increased anxiety, nauseousness and sleeping problems. At about the 5 week mark the negative side effects went away and I started to feel some relief from the anxiety caused by the OCD. I was increased to 20mg which seems to be enough for me. I have now been on it for over a year. I feel so much better. Like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders and I no longer worry and obsess. I have gained some weight but the anxiety had made me lose weight so I think I am able to eat now because I feel better. I don't sweat the small stuff in life anymore!!"

OCDin PA (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Prozac in 1993. I actually was suicidal and depressed in 1972, but the kind of treatment prescribed was to see a shrink, which I didn't talk to. I tried to kill myself (unsuccessfully) many times. I just didn't want to live anymore, a very terribly sad feeling of not belonging, even in family gatherings. In 1993 I started 20 mg of Prozac, first week was great...I was very energetic and I didn't feel like eating, but after that it evened out and I felt better. I then went up to 40 mg. Two years ago I started pulling my hair out. Went up to 80 mg, but was too much and my doc kept me on 60 mg. I still can't stop pulling my hair out. Does Prozac cause this OCD? I thought it was supposed to help it."

Suicidal In High School February 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had to switch to this after sertraline didn't work when I tried to go back on it. OCD blew up as soon as I stopped my previous SSRI and I ended up sick. Always consult your doctor and if you have severe OCD, it's an SSRI for life... Fluoxetine had the usual side effects: suicidal, anxious, worsening of depression and tiredness. Unfortunately you just have to work through this with these meds. After a few weeks I started to see some slow progress and my obsessions decreased. I was still severely depressed and I augmented this with risperidone. That too made me a bit crazy for a few days but after a couple of weeks I was able to return to work after 3 months off. These meds take time. 18 months on I'm just on fluoxetine 60mg and feel great!"

Gregocd February 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Fluvoxemine (Luvox) starting at age 7, took it for 3 years. I am not 24 and I have been on fluoxetine for almost 7 months,and just recently got bumped up to 40mg ( 2 weeks ago). I have such bad depression and anxiety that it barely makes a dent, but it does help with my intrusive thoughts a lot. I notice as far as side effects, all of the initial ones have gone away by about month 3. All I have left is very minor short-term memory loss, and talking in my sleep. I'm not as sleepy as I used to be either. I would recommend staying away from caffeine altogether while on fluoxetine. I wish there was another way. I spent 14 years dealing with my severe Pure-Obsessional OCD without treatment. Some of us need this medicine."

Chris DiPaolo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "First week was hell, more anxiety and panic attacks. Had to leave work early one day for the anxiety, also left a family event early. But now... Starting second week and starting to feel like myself again! As long as things continue this way will be happy on this drug! Without the first weeks' side effects would give it a 10."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had all of these horrible thoughts racing through my mind for 5 weeks before I started Prozac. I kept thinking about dying, my family dying. I feared time and death and could not stop the racing thoughts no matter what. I thought I would never get better, but then a week after starting Prozac, I no longer had any racing thoughts! It has brought me back into the moment. No more intrusive thoughts :)"

Julian1227 November 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Glad I stuck it out, My prozac started working really good in the 7th week..Before that, confusion{ do I spell my daughters name with a y or t, etc}}short term memory loss, severe anxiety, I was walking the park 5 hrs a day trying to get balance...wanted to quit prozac, but I knew prozac magnified all these problems"

tall tree (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015