If I'm on fluoxetine, what can I take for a bad cough associated with a cold or strep throat?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 17, 2019.
I am taking 20mg Prozac. I read that there are severe interactions between fluoxetine and dexmethorophan. What can I take for a really bad cough with a cold?
The cough suppressant dextromethorphan is not advisable in those patients taking fluoxetine (brand name: Prozac)
A nasal decongestant and acetaminophen combination tablet or a nasal decongestant spray may be of benefit, and are safe.
Talk with your pharmacist.
Honey and lemon drinks are good to soothe an irritated throat.
Take a water bottle to bed with you and sip frequently. Try adding an extra pillow.
Related Medical Questions
- SSRI’s vs SNRI’s - What's the difference between them?
- Prozac vs Zoloft - What are the Differences & Similarities?
- What are some common side effects of antidepressants?
- How much is 10 mL in teaspoons or tablespoons?
- What is the difference between Mucinex D and Mucinex DM?
- Bromfed DM - can this be purchased without a prescription?
- How much and how often can an adult take Coricicin HBP Cough and Cold?
- Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief. Can I give a small dose of this medicine to my child?
- What antibiotics are used to treat bronchitis?