User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It has really helped my depression. I used to cry a lot, not want to do anything. I'm much calmer about stressful things & less irritable. I thank God for this medication & the who started me on my meds!"

Jensue February 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Admittedly, when I started Prozac and up until I stopped taking it, I was not very honest with my therapist on my emotional state, so I never changed medication despite it's lack of effect on me. I was taking it to help with my depression and anxiety, and it didn't help with either. It didn't have any negative effects on me, but it didn't have any positive effects either. I had started at 10 mg, went up to 20 mg, and finally 40 mg. For each one, it seemed to help at first but wouldn't after around two weeks. Although it wasn't right for me, I know that it's been quite helpful to friends of mine and it wouldn't hurt to try it out yourself."

Anonnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I can't remember the exact dose but it was low. It Caused insomnia (4 hours sleep a night), feelings of giddiness and weight loss (14lb/1 stone) which was a positive for me. Because of the insomnia I came off it and was put on 25g Amitriptyline. With this medication I have 9 - 10 hours sleep, dry mouth and a HUGE increase in appetite for sugar and carbs. But my depression seems to be a bit elevated."

NoNameGirl (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The first 4 weeks on Prozac were awful. I had zero appetite, vivid nightmares, horrible night sweats, and a very short temper. But all of a sudden when week 6 rolled around, I felt like a new person! I was the "old me" again. It felt amazing to hear my family tell me they could notice the change in me. I'm a much more productive person now! I'm thriving at work, and I'm so thankful I found this drug."

Carmen S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was first put on wellbutrin at 300mg then 450mg but that kept me up and I really wasn't feeling much of a difference. The doctor added Prozac 20mg. For the first 3 days I could sleep. After that if feels like I'm coming off a caffeine high as I get very tired but I never experience a high in energy. I get hot flashes and sweat about 25-30mins after taking it but then it goes away. I yawn all the time. Another thing I've noticed since I've been on it was decreased sexual mood and ejaculation feels weird, just weird. I'm not emotionless but sadness, depression and anger seem to not be present. Decreased appetite and lost a little weight. No other side effects experience."

Nightowl83 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It made my anxiety worse and caused me to have bad depression and bad diarrhea "

Anxiety.101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm on week 6 of Prozac and it saved my life. I went through a semester of major life changes (engagement, graduation, moving across country, major weight gain from stress, living with fiancee's parents, and stopped being able to see my friends) which resulted in me becoming severely depressed. I've NEVER been depressed in my life I'm the most bubbly person ever. Well when I started to get into a deep black hole and also having suicidal ideation (never had before) I decided to go to the doctor. She started me on 10mg for 4 weeks and with some change (75% better) we decided to try 20mg for 100%. I'm only on week 6 of being on prozac all together and it saved my life, my relationship and my joy. PLEASE give it time. I'm praying for you all!"

Vicvac February 1, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "For me, Prozac was unfortunately not so much of a success. I didn't feel worse but I didn't feel great either. I started taking it in Oct 2016 with a dose of 10 mg, then upped to 20mg and eventually to 40 mg. So really I changed doses 3 times in 3 months. (Which is probably not the best since you don't get to get use to the drug.) but anyways I wasn't feeling any better. Still felt down and very depressed. My psychiatrist has officially switched me to Venlafaxine (which I'm afraid of, since the reviews of that drugs aren't all positives). I have to say, while on the Prozac, sometimes I felt good but the majority of the time, I felt very depressed (not because of the drug). My side effects were fatigue and diarrhea."

jcl987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Before I was on Prozac,I would just feel sad all the time..I had been feeling like crying alot,and just in this constant depressive state. One day,I went to the doctor's office..I broke down, almost cried and told the doctor what was going on. He was so understanding,and said he was gonna start me on an antidepressant. So after having been on Prozac 20mg going on my 2nd week, I feel so much better. I'm more positive ,I don't get into hardly any depressive modes anymore ,and it feels like I finally have my life back. Plus the doctor added in a daily dose of .05 mg of Ativan to help ease with the panic attacks. I feel so much calmer, happier, and I'm able to function better at work. The combination of Prozac and Ativan works wonders for me:)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am female 65 yrs, 157 cm, 58 Kg. A lifetime of depression and anxiety, taking 20 mg Prozac daily for 15 years seemed to help a little but panic and anxiety was same as ever, terrible. As well, I was addicted to Zanax 5 mg per day for 14 years, which is a high dose and apparently considered by our government, a nasty drug to be restricted now. After 2 months of taking 60 mg Prozac I am no longer needing any Zanax at all. Weight is very stable, I am feeling normal in every way and sex with my husband every few days, is still wonderful and exciting. No doctor ever suggested the increase in dose of Prozac to help anxiety until very recently. That's why we need the internet."

Cheerfulagain January 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on many anti depressants and by far...Prozac gave me my life back. I am bi polar with PTSD and anxiety. I did lose weight and that was okay. I can sleep and am a happy woman again. I take 20mg each morning. I do not need a benzo for anxiety any longer oh and I am 33 years old. After fifteen years of Zoloft, lexapro, Paxil, Effexor, wellbutrin, you name it, I've been on it for long periods, changed to Prozac 6 months ago, I have my life back."

sissy8381 January 13, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac feels like poison being put in your body"

Joey36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been suffering from depression most of my life. I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I would change when one seemed to stop working so went to Prozac. BIG mistake. See the side effects? I had almost every one of them. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong till my wife showed them the side effects. Almost died Lost 25# in about 3 weeks. Will never go back to it but who knows it might work for you just didn't for me"

wcemt1605 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication made me yawn frequently. After two months, I didn't notice any improvement in my mood but my jaw was killing me from yawning and clenching my teeth which I don't normally do. My friends and family also pointed out that I seemed more irritable and more likely to snap or be short tempered."

7nywh3r3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking anti depressant after my grandchild died. He was 3 years old and it changed my world. I had so much anxiety over people and I was just so sad and angry all of the time. I stated celexa and I loved how it just shut off the bad. Eventually it was increased and I couldn't stay awake for anything. I got switched to prozac about a month ago. At first I felt very irritable but thats gotten better and now I feel better overall. No more trying to sleep all day and the crazy switch is still flipped to off"

Apmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been taking a low dosage of this medication for four and a half months, and all it's done it make me unable to cry, heighten my anxiety, and cause me to wake up in the middle of the night, and render me unable to fall back asleep."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was started at 20mgs and after 12 weeks with no improvement my dr.bumped it up too 40mgs daily which put a SMALL damper on the extreme depression I was having but that was only by making me feel nothing at all..except maybe confusion and restlessness.After about 6 months my dr changed me to lexapro which worked better..not MUCH better but a little better."

sopranofan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on this medication for over 14 weeks and it made me into an unemotional zombie. My grandma literally passed away in front of me and I couldnt even shed a tear. It helped get me moving around more but, it wasnt really helping my depression. I wasnt happy at all and my anhedonia still persisted. Also, on top of all that Prozac made me lose my libido/sex drive even after I stopped taking it over 6 weeks ago. Im scared my libido/sex drive is never going to come back. This is why I only rated this drug a 1."

MixedBipolarDude16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is a great medicine. I switched to this after taking lexapro and having some difficult-to-manage side effects. I did not have any side effects at all on Prozac in the beginning. I have noticed that recently I have more of an appetite. I monitor what I eat so I haven't gained weight but it is more of a challenge. My sister is also on the same dose but has not had the hunger side effect."

ZisserZasserZooz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine is horrible. I just started taking it a month ago and already considering stopping it completely. Side effects were not horrible. I had lots of dizzy spells though. Only lasted for the first week though. Now I feel even more depressed than I was before I started the meds. Absolutely no sex drive whatsoever. I also have bad chest and upper back pains that I believe is due to anxiety from the medication. Would not recommend this medication to anyone."

Anonymous November 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "At first it made me feel really sick constantly and have stomach aches but after 2 weeks it started to help me cope with my anxiety and depression waaay better. I wanna make it clear I wasnt looking for a cure when I started taking prozac, but just a way to better manage my feelings because I dont think I will ever be cured since Ive been chronically depressed my whole life. And it does really help me manage way better, I still have depressive episodes tho, but I dont break down crying easily or feel anxious all the time and I stopped disassociating."

Anaqueef (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac before and worked well. Left it too long before seeking help this time, never felt this bad, extreme anxiety, depression and feelings of doom and obsessive racing thoughts. First week in and making me worse, but this is to be expected I guess. Docs upped them to 30 mg so will see what happens. Cry all morning, wake early sweating and anxious, feel sick, lost a lot of weight. Want my life back"

Dizzydaisydoo (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "six years ago I almost lost my life from an abusive relationship. I am 24 years old now. Luckily I am a survivor of domestic violence. From that traumatic time in my life I have been severely depressed, anxious & have had thoughts of suicide. For the past six years I have been on & off depression medications. Some have worked but the effects were too extreme. I tried Effexor but didn't like it too much and the withdrawal was terrible. Then I tried to work things out without medication and was doing good for a while but became very depressed/gained weight and so decided to give medications a try again. Recently started on Prozac (10 mg) about a week ago so far the low dose is good for me. I am more positive, exercise daily & new diet."

PTSD gal November 2, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication was awful. Despite only being 17 at the time so the doctor decided that I would be put on this medication for my depression I knew that there was a chance that this may cause my condition to deteriorate. I saw no improvements with the 10mg so my doctor increased this to 20mg. This is where it all went downhill. I developed full blown Panic disorder as I was having several panic attacks a day so I was unable to go to school. The medication increased my suicidal thoughts to the point where I was not sleeping at night due to constantly thinking of ways to kill myself. One day I nearly did attempt suicide so I had to be assessed by a Psychiatrist who put me on tranquilisers for a week then admitted me to a psychiatric unit."

India98 October 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am a recovering opiate addict and alcoholic. I have been sober for five years and extremely grateful. However, I have been diagnosed several times by physicians as having depression. It got so bad about a month ago that I decided to try Prozac 20mg. I have been on Celexa in the past but it made feel disconnected. The Prozac took about three weeks to kick in but it is working wonderfully now for a few days. It is like a switch was flipped and I just feel normal and positive. I do have some of the usual side effects but they are bearable. Everyone is different for sure but I am very pleased with Prozac thus far. If you are trying this medicine, stick with it as it does take a while to have an effect. very grateful!"

Nigeloz October 21, 2016