User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"Tried fluoxetine 20mg for a month. Absolutely did NOT work for me!!! I lost a few pounds which was water weight but gained it right back and some. Made anxiety, obsessive thoughts worse, depression worse too. Got to a point where I thought I was gonna walk right out of my job. Stopped taking it a day ago and i already feel better, maybe even hypomanic.it gets a 2 instead of 1 cuz it allowed me to sleep. I will be starting a combo of venlafaxine 75mg and bupropion 150 mg sr in a few days. Hopefully I won't resist this treatment. Good luck everyone!"

Somepenguin369 (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "20mg for three months. No effect at all."

Chuck789 September 24, 2016

"After a year of stress and then going back into my addiction that had been dormant for 2 decades I tried 20mgs of Prozac. The first 3 weeks we're completely miserable. Anxiety, irrational thought, mood swings, constant bowel movements....but I was diter I rd to hang in there. Amazingly I started to feel better. After 6 weeks I was a different person. I feel completely normal now. My wife was diagnosed with cancer and things went really bad in my life before Prozac. I am now on a much better path. I take .5mgs of Xanax at bedtime and wake up feeling great. It is like a miracle of sorts. Mood side effects: a little bit of thinning hair, sex drive is down as I find it hard to climax and I'm a little less empathetic."

J-dawg September 16, 2016

"I was on 40mg and it did absolutely nothing for me."

K1ttyc4t (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Was on lexapro and didn't find it helpful . prozac seems to be doing very good."

Riply222 September 9, 2016

"I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety i'm 19, i was put on 50mg sertraline which made me constantly have a headache for the week i was on it, made me very tired and i was quite achy too. went back to doctors and she put me on fluoxetine 20mg, i have been taking this for just over 2 weeks now & even though i'm still quite tired (might just be me), i already feel a lot better. Before on fluoxetine I was always over thinking things, i didn't want to leave the house or go out, i was off work for 3 weeks as could not stop myself from crying, i was worried my relationship would end! now i'm a lot more positive, I'm going out and not crying anywhere near as much, never felt happier and my relationship has never been better! :)"

panda345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started on Prozac (fluoxetine) after the deaths of my sister and mother in the same year, 5 months apart and I started taking 10mg with Xanax but I still felt depressed. My doctor put me on 20 mg a day with 1/2 of a 1 mg Xanax and I feel a bit of relief, calmness, and no suicidal thoughts. I found that when I skip a day or two, I start crying a lot. Prozac works for me along with Xanax."

Eliseeya Marie August 27, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Excellent medication usually works great have no complaints when used for depression only."

Sweetgirlmeg (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took my self to the hospital because my life was (and still is) falling apart. But after I took Prozac, I started the feel a bit better. But just as someone here mentioned, after I took it my mind felt empty, for example, since before I went to the hospital, thoughts of self hatred, self loathing and plenty of suicidal thoughts took up 90% of my brain each day. but since they were gone due to the medicine, my brain was unsure how to react. The worst thing in the world could have happened to me and I wouldn't do anything just smile. But it felt weird. But I did feel a strange sense of optimism while on the drug. I'm NEVER optimistic, always pessimistic. I stopped months ago. I think I'm going to the hospital soon anyway.. I feel it."

Vanessa0207 August 24, 2016

"I improved a lot when receiving 10mg after 2 months of treatment. When the dosage was increased to 20mg symptoms worsened and I had suicidal thoughts."

nieku (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Disclaimer: this is MY personal experience Started Prozac at age 19 after issues with Effexor and after a few months I felt on top of the world--the happiest I had ever been. This was short lived. After 6 or so months something inside me snapped. Sex drive=0. My conscious turned into someone that wasn't me. Never heard voices before but they became overwhelming/evil & I couldn't shake the suicidal thoughts. I ended up quitting cold turkey as I noticed myself double dosing, then triple dosing. My sex drive is still 0, I've gained a ton of weight, and have been dealing with severe depression without meds because I'm scared to take them again."

Agirlandhercats August 16, 2016

"To start off let me tell you the first 4 weeks were HELL! The side effects were awfully. The first 2 weeks being worst then the 3rd and 4th... I came very close to stopping the medication. By the 5th week the side effects got less and less everyday and suddenly somewhere around the 6th week I woke up and felt like santa clause on steroids. My depression was 100% gone. I was my better self. I was even better before the depression hit years before. I have been on every antidepressant in the book and they all turned me in to a couch potatoe junkie. I had no motivation and no energy. I almost lost my job.... then I went to the doctor and he put me on prozac. It saved my life! !!"

Kidkdh August 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I starting on Sertraline 3 years ago and felt that my body had got used to it and wasn't getting any effect after a year. My GP then put me on Fluoxetine 20mg. To start it took about 5-6 weeks to really begin to feel calmer and less sensitive to daily stresses and I had an amazing sleep but the effects began to wear off after a year. My GP then increased my dose to 60mg as I was going through a really stressful time at work and couldn't cope. Thankfully work has been better and I've changed my role but I've started to feel really depressed and have been having suicidal thoughts which I never used to have. I have really vivid dreams and I'm starting to get home from work, take the dog out, make dinner and once all my chores are done then I g"

Scottish1975 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "26 y/o male no history of depression but some acute episodes (a few weeks back in high school). Began taking 10 mg prozac daily 3 weeks ago after struggling with major depressive disorder following job loss, relationship break-up and move back home with family. After 3 weeks have noticed marked improvement in mood and wellbeing. I would HIGHLY recommend to someone who can also engage in healthy diet, aerobic and anaerobic exercise, healthy social life and some engaging work. Thank you prozeezy!"

Overcome2016 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I haven't been on this drug for long, but I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was recently switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug."

Xelleld (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

"Saved my life ! Give it time ..works wonders for anxiety and panic"

TD72 August 3, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Fluoxetine/prozac 20mg for depression/anxiety. Within 4 hours of taking it at 4pm I truely felt better by 8 pm and happier not sure it was the meds at first or believing it to be working?,had done a lot research before taking it positives and negatives so have an open mind about prozac,certainly felt better quickly after initail dose!. First 2 weeks slight headaches,bit spaced initially,groggy,dry mouth,difficult concentrate,but I did feel like this whilst depressed! Now 3rd week its kicked in after 2 weeks and I feel calmer relaxed able to think clearly not foggy mind feel focused happier motivated. This drug has dealt with anxiety&depression,100%,I was worrying everything,sleep is OK now,no sexual dysfunction yet!. Good luck."

Jack.... 60yrs old... uk. (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

"Started on fluoxetine a month ago, 20mg. Felt very tired the first week and nothing else. Just started taking 40 mg a few days ago. My wife swears she notices a difference, says she doesn't feel like she's walking on egg shells around me anymore. One thing I've noticed is things I used to dwell on, I can now think about them but now put them out of my mind relatively easy. Before the meds I would dwell on things, couldn't escape the negative thoughts. Things that are out of my control don't haunt me nearly as much"

Axelrodpp July 28, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Having a history of family heath problems it was my time to develop one of my own, i was diagnosed with moderately severe depression and was placed on a moderate dose of Prozac. Weeks in i became extremely lethargic , my mood hadn't stabilized one bit, i presumed i would need a higher dose and that followed. Eventually the dosage had quadrupled and showing no improvement, i beg to view the world in a haze, nothing seemed real and i didn't recognize myself . I was incredibly suicidal. If you are not feeling this drug is effective do not continue using it, otherwise suicide is a very genuine threat. I have found Sertraline effective as opposed to this freakish medicine."

Send Help (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have never had thoughts about suicide until I took Prozac. This was the absolute scariest experience of my life."

squirrellover (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac was the worst for me. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I was using it for depression and anxiety and when i first started taking it i felt terrible, stayed on it for another 4 months or so till my psychiatrist (who did absolutely nothing for me, spent a total of 15 minutes with me in 3 appts.) uped my dose to 20mg, i started feeling really tired all the time, got headaches, felt sick, my head was ALWAYS foggy, couldnt remember much, drained me right out. So without my doctors word i stopped taking it and i still feel depressed and anxious but i feel much more alive and much better. Prozac didnt work for me at all."

Okayy123 July 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've tried a few antidepressents. Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Remeron... I've been on Prozac for nearly three months. I was prescribed 20 mg a day for the first month and told the doctor I didn't notice anything. She still kept me on 20 mg a day for the second month. Still nothing, but drowsiness was a problem (gone now). I've been on 30 mg a day for the past three weeks, and in the past week or so, I think something about me is different. I rarely have the suicidal thoughts I did before (I still do though). I'm also normally really awkward, but now I feel natural when I say something, no shaky voice. Idk how to explain what I'm feeling. The past week I've been pretty nauseous though. I usually eat a LOT though so I don't mind it"

cuebalal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"Been on it for 49 days for anxiety and depression . Works great ! First 2 weeks were rough but the 6th week I feel great ! Also lost 15 lbs ..still enjoy sex too :)"

Ak72 July 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After trying celexa (which helped my anxiety but not my depression) my doctor reccomended Prozac. I was in a very bad state at the time and was up for anything to make me feel better. After taking it for about 3 weeks I started having extreme suicidal thoughts everyday, which was very unlike me even with major depression. I told my doctor and she said she felt she was just under treating me and uped my does another 20mg. After another week I had to put myself into a hospital because I felt I had no control over the suicidal part of me. I have been off of Prozac for over 2, months now and have had little to no suicidal thoughts although my depression and anxiety has worsened from the experience I feel."

Briiiiiii July 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on Prozac only for a week now but I've noticed a big change in my sleeping schedule and headaches...they've gotten so much worse!!! Can't think straight anymore and my head's always pounding. My review on this drug will change if i begin to see positive effects, but as of now, I'm ready to ask my psychiatrist for a new drug!"

Alexa S. July 6, 2016