User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"I have been on many anti depressants and by far...Prozac gave me my life back. I am bi polar with PTSD and anxiety. I did lose weight and that was okay. I can sleep and am a happy woman again. I take 20mg each morning. I do not need a benzo for anxiety any longer oh and I am 33 years old. After fifteen years of Zoloft, lexapro, Paxil, Effexor, wellbutrin, you name it, I've been on it for long periods, changed to Prozac 6 months ago, I have my life back."

sissy8381 January 13, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac feels like poison being put in your body"

Joey36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been suffering from depression most of my life. I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I would change when one seemed to stop working so went to Prozac. BIG mistake. See the side effects? I had almost every one of them. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong till my wife showed them the side effects. Almost died Lost 25# in about 3 weeks. Will never go back to it but who knows it might work for you just didn't for me"

wcemt1605 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication made me yawn frequently. After two months, I didn't notice any improvement in my mood but my jaw was killing me from yawning and clenching my teeth which I don't normally do. My friends and family also pointed out that I seemed more irritable and more likely to snap or be short tempered."

7nywh3r3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking anti depressant after my grandchild died. He was 3 years old and it changed my world. I had so much anxiety over people and I was just so sad and angry all of the time. I stated celexa and I loved how it just shut off the bad. Eventually it was increased and I couldn't stay awake for anything. I got switched to prozac about a month ago. At first I felt very irritable but thats gotten better and now I feel better overall. No more trying to sleep all day and the crazy switch is still flipped to off"

Apmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

"I've been taking a low dosage of this medication for four and a half months, and all it's done it make me unable to cry, heighten my anxiety, and cause me to wake up in the middle of the night, and render me unable to fall back asleep."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

"I was started at 20mgs and after 12 weeks with no improvement my dr.bumped it up too 40mgs daily which put a SMALL damper on the extreme depression I was having but that was only by making me feel nothing at all..except maybe confusion and restlessness.After about 6 months my dr changed me to lexapro which worked better..not MUCH better but a little better."

sopranofan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on this medication for over 14 weeks and it made me into an unemotional zombie. My grandma literally passed away in front of me and I couldnt even shed a tear. It helped get me moving around more but, it wasnt really helping my depression. I wasnt happy at all and my anhedonia still persisted. Also, on top of all that Prozac made me lose my libido/sex drive even after I stopped taking it over 6 weeks ago. Im scared my libido/sex drive is never going to come back. This is why I only rated this drug a 1."

MixedBipolarDude16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is a great medicine. I switched to this after taking lexapro and having some difficult-to-manage side effects. I did not have any side effects at all on Prozac in the beginning. I have noticed that recently I have more of an appetite. I monitor what I eat so I haven't gained weight but it is more of a challenge. My sister is also on the same dose but has not had the hunger side effect."

ZisserZasserZooz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

"This medicine is horrible. I just started taking it a month ago and already considering stopping it completely. Side effects were not horrible. I had lots of dizzy spells though. Only lasted for the first week though. Now I feel even more depressed than I was before I started the meds. Absolutely no sex drive whatsoever. I also have bad chest and upper back pains that I believe is due to anxiety from the medication. Would not recommend this medication to anyone."

Anonymous November 21, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "At first it made me feel really sick constantly and have stomach aches but after 2 weeks it started to help me cope with my anxiety and depression waaay better. I wanna make it clear I wasnt looking for a cure when I started taking prozac, but just a way to better manage my feelings because I dont think I will ever be cured since Ive been chronically depressed my whole life. And it does really help me manage way better, I still have depressive episodes tho, but I dont break down crying easily or feel anxious all the time and I stopped disassociating."

Anaqueef (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac before and worked well. Left it too long before seeking help this time, never felt this bad, extreme anxiety, depression and feelings of doom and obsessive racing thoughts. First week in and making me worse, but this is to be expected I guess. Docs upped them to 30 mg so will see what happens. Cry all morning, wake early sweating and anxious, feel sick, lost a lot of weight. Want my life back"

Dizzydaisydoo (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "six years ago I almost lost my life from an abusive relationship. I am 24 years old now. Luckily I am a survivor of domestic violence. From that traumatic time in my life I have been severely depressed, anxious & have had thoughts of suicide. For the past six years I have been on & off depression medications. Some have worked but the effects were too extreme. I tried Effexor but didn't like it too much and the withdrawal was terrible. Then I tried to work things out without medication and was doing good for a while but became very depressed/gained weight and so decided to give medications a try again. Recently started on Prozac (10 mg) about a week ago so far the low dose is good for me. I am more positive, exercise daily & new diet."

PTSD gal November 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication was awful. Despite only being 17 at the time so the doctor decided that I would be put on this medication for my depression I knew that there was a chance that this may cause my condition to deteriorate. I saw no improvements with the 10mg so my doctor increased this to 20mg. This is where it all went downhill. I developed full blown Panic disorder as I was having several panic attacks a day so I was unable to go to school. The medication increased my suicidal thoughts to the point where I was not sleeping at night due to constantly thinking of ways to kill myself. One day I nearly did attempt suicide so I had to be assessed by a Psychiatrist who put me on tranquilisers for a week then admitted me to a psychiatric unit."

India98 October 23, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am a recovering opiate addict and alcoholic. I have been sober for five years and extremely grateful. However, I have been diagnosed several times by physicians as having depression. It got so bad about a month ago that I decided to try Prozac 20mg. I have been on Celexa in the past but it made feel disconnected. The Prozac took about three weeks to kick in but it is working wonderfully now for a few days. It is like a switch was flipped and I just feel normal and positive. I do have some of the usual side effects but they are bearable. Everyone is different for sure but I am very pleased with Prozac thus far. If you are trying this medicine, stick with it as it does take a while to have an effect. very grateful!"

Nigeloz October 21, 2016

"This medication changed my life! I was depressed overcome with fatigue and generally unpleasant to be around! After the first two weeks of fatigue passes I am back to the old Laurie "the nice to be around Laurie" also noticed a decrease in appetite...which is super for me being slightly overweight! Although it's expensive I am blessed to have insurance and only paid 20$ for the name brand...I wish all who suffer with Peri Menopausal symptoms and or depression would give this medication a try!"

Laurie Jean October 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been depressed for most of my life but was raised to "tough it out". I am a recovering opioid addict so I am scared to take any medication at all. The last 3 years I've completely withdrawn from any social activities, relationships & have just been doing the bare minimum to get by. Recently my oldest son turned 18 & has severed ties with me. This took me to the lowest low I've ever been & made me suicidal. For the sake of my younger son, I chose to get help. I was put on 20mg of prozac & have been on it for 3 weeks. I wish I would have done this sooner. Through my recovery from opioids, I've learned that pills are not the answer so these combined with counseling is the solution I've needed for a long time. I hope this helps others."

TT79 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

"18y/o with anxiety/ depression I was given medication for the anxiety originally and then the doctor gave me fluoxetine 20mg, this was fine the first week, no side effects. Second week, I was living in a constant state of panic, beta blockers weren't helping and I always had chest pains and severe panic attacks. I couldn't stand to be in a classroom full of my peers, they made me feel paranoid about everyone. I absolutely hate these."

KibblyKoala (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel, Adderall (for ADHD, but also gives what I take for depression a little boost), and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug. It still helps me get through every day after quite a few months on it. Couldn't say the same about other SSRIs."

Xelleld (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "My nurse practioner kept insisting I try Prozac along with Olanzapine for my severe bipolar depression because it was the gold standard (supposedly they work good together). So, I ended up taking Prozac all the way up to 60 mg for over 12 weeks (along with Carbamazepine, Olanzapine & now Saphris) and I only got a partial response to the medicine. It helped get me functioning again but I wasnt happy. I still didnt enjoy the things I loved doing. For example, I would try listening to music or play video games but it wouldnt do anything for me. The euphoria was kind of missing. I know 80 mg is the max dosage but I shouldnt have to be on the max dosage or go beyond it to get a desired effect. Oh, and I lost my sex drive on Prozac too! Grr!"

BipolarDude86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "My dr started me on 20mg once daily.After a few months with no improvement he raised it to 40mgs.After about 2 weeks at this dose the depression subsided some and also my anxiety as I found myself reaching for my Xanax less and less.However after about 5-6 months the depression and anxiety came back and my doctor told me raising the dose would do no good.So,that being said, if you need an anti-deppressant to get you through a rough patch in your life (divorce,holidays,death of a loved one) this seemed to work very well just after about 6 months I was right back where I started. *Another benefit is it's generic (Fluoxetine) in many stores is only $4 for a month supply.Ive seen some Anti-deppressants cost well over $100 for a month*"

sopranofan (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2016

"Tried fluoxetine 20mg for a month. Absolutely did NOT work for me!!! I lost a few pounds which was water weight but gained it right back and some. Made anxiety, obsessive thoughts worse, depression worse too. Got to a point where I thought I was gonna walk right out of my job. Stopped taking it a day ago and i already feel better, maybe even hypomanic.it gets a 2 instead of 1 cuz it allowed me to sleep. I will be starting a combo of venlafaxine 75mg and bupropion 150 mg sr in a few days. Hopefully I won't resist this treatment. Good luck everyone!"

Somepenguin369 (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "20mg for three months. No effect at all."

Chuck789 September 24, 2016

"After a year of stress and then going back into my addiction that had been dormant for 2 decades I tried 20mgs of Prozac. The first 3 weeks we're completely miserable. Anxiety, irrational thought, mood swings, constant bowel movements....but I was diter I rd to hang in there. Amazingly I started to feel better. After 6 weeks I was a different person. I feel completely normal now. My wife was diagnosed with cancer and things went really bad in my life before Prozac. I am now on a much better path. I take .5mgs of Xanax at bedtime and wake up feeling great. It is like a miracle of sorts. Mood side effects: a little bit of thinning hair, sex drive is down as I find it hard to climax and I'm a little less empathetic."

J-dawg September 16, 2016

"I was on 40mg and it did absolutely nothing for me."

K1ttyc4t (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2016