User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Prozac (fluoxetine): "6 months ago, I was hospitalized. I had never been treated for my depression due to insurance and financial issues. During my 9 day stay at the hospital, they started me on 20mg of Prozac. By the time I left the hospital, I was at 40mg. The suicidal thoughts went away and I was able to feel moments of clarity. Although, I made some big life changes after being released from the hospital, the depression was still there. Sleep and isolation was still my life. Now that I have been on Prozac for 6 months, I look back and realize how far I have come. I am now taking 80 mg a day and I can finally break through the fog. For me, depression wasn't necessarily sadness, but an absence in vitality. Prozac has helped me regain it."

Ramakin May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this drug after going to my GP after months of feeling like I was the only person in the world feeling this way thinking I wasn't normal and that I couldn't tell anyone about how I felt. I felt depressed, anxious and after taking this for about 7 weeks I started to feel so much better like my old self again and then I thought I was fine and I stopped taking it but now I am back to being very anxious and uneasy about everything so I am starting them again I would not recommended you stop taking these pills even if you feel you are ready. Always talk to a GP first if you think it's time to stop. I 100% recommend anyone who feels like they need help to get better to try these out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed 2-3 weeks ago...was so happy to finally have something I thought would help prescribed to me. I tried it for two days...felt my depression/scary scenarios get worse, so I stopped. Depression was still there but not as bad as it is when I am on the pill. I took it again to see if it will finally work this time...it's my 3rd day, still feeling worse but I'm trying to wait for it to work because I've read it works after 2-3 weeks. So I hope it helps... :/"

MissLR April 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Young male early 20s. I suffer from major depression as well as anxiety. I tried 20mg Prozac only because it supposedly gives people more energy. The first 1-2 weeks I experienced side effects such as extreme fatigue and increased anxiety. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel better, however, it worked until it seemed to stop after about a month. It still helped relieve my symptoms slightly, but I had returning feelings of fear, panic, negativity etc and never felt more energized. I stopped taking it and after 3 days immediately felt much better. I ended up switching back to 10mg Lexapro because it worked great for me. Prozac helped somewhat, but for those who struggle mostly with depression/anxiety, I'd try more selective SSRIs personally."

RainyDay423 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I used prozac in the past for 3-9 months twice and had no side effects apart from some headache for a few weeks. Now I have been on it again for 3 weeks and this time I am suffering SEVERE side effects. Physical ones include heavy fogginess/head pressure, sleeplessness, muscle tension, blurred vision and loss of appetite and weight loss. Mentally I have also worsened. Anxiety is really high, especially in the mornings, feelings of hopelessness an inability to cope with life, suicidal thoughts (that I never really had before), inability to focus/read and feel motivated. Now at 3 weeks I have some moments in the afternoon of feeling calmer but it is rather unpleasant numbness. I hope it improves going forward, but it has been very tough."

lulondon (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am a different person when I'm on this, and in a good way. It helps me keep stable. The first time I was on it, I got really sick and felt terrible. I tried it again on a lower dose and built my way up and now I'm doing well on it!"

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "after about 3 weeks on prozac, or as I like to call it CRAPZAC. I was more depressed than ever before. Before crapzac I had only considered suicide a few times, But after my 4th week I actually attempted it. Thankfully my sister found me and brought me to the hospital, where they asked if i had been on any medication, and ordered me to stop taking it. And I was trapped at the hospital in the psych ward for 9 days, having 2 sessions with the counsellor every day, strapped down to my bed for the first few days, and not allowed to use the bathroom for 2 days, this stuff made my life into a living hell. After being released, I have now started seeing a therapist and now I've been practicing yoga and meditation, with no meds, and I feel great"

sallygally (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from major depression/anxiety. I would cry, panic, and feel negative about everything. I tried Lexapro in my teens and it worked great for me. However, when it returned years later my doc suggested 20mg Prozac as it would be more "energizing". The first 2-3 weeks were unpleasant side effects such as fatigue, increased anxiety, and insomnia. After the 3rd week up until the 5th week I did gradually feel better, I didn't cry or really feel depressed anymore. However, at the 6th week it seemed to stop working, I began to feel more anxious than depressed again, and felt very uneasy all the time, plus I experienced digestive issues. Also, I feel no more energized whatsoever. Prozac helped me somewhat, but it didn't really do it for me."

Dorfman (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It has really helped my depression. I used to cry a lot, not want to do anything. I'm much calmer about stressful things & less irritable. I thank God for this medication & the who started me on my meds!"

Jensue February 28, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Admittedly, when I started Prozac and up until I stopped taking it, I was not very honest with my therapist on my emotional state, so I never changed medication despite it's lack of effect on me. I was taking it to help with my depression and anxiety, and it didn't help with either. It didn't have any negative effects on me, but it didn't have any positive effects either. I had started at 10 mg, went up to 20 mg, and finally 40 mg. For each one, it seemed to help at first but wouldn't after around two weeks. Although it wasn't right for me, I know that it's been quite helpful to friends of mine and it wouldn't hurt to try it out yourself."

Anonnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can't remember the exact dose but it was low. It Caused insomnia (4 hours sleep a night), feelings of giddiness and weight loss (14lb/1 stone) which was a positive for me. Because of the insomnia I came off it and was put on 25g Amitriptyline. With this medication I have 9 - 10 hours sleep, dry mouth and a HUGE increase in appetite for sugar and carbs. But my depression seems to be a bit elevated."

NoNameGirl (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first 4 weeks on Prozac were awful. I had zero appetite, vivid nightmares, horrible night sweats, and a very short temper. But all of a sudden when week 6 rolled around, I felt like a new person! I was the "old me" again. It felt amazing to hear my family tell me they could notice the change in me. I'm a much more productive person now! I'm thriving at work, and I'm so thankful I found this drug."

Carmen S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was first put on wellbutrin at 300mg then 450mg but that kept me up and I really wasn't feeling much of a difference. The doctor added Prozac 20mg. For the first 3 days I could sleep. After that if feels like I'm coming off a caffeine high as I get very tired but I never experience a high in energy. I get hot flashes and sweat about 25-30mins after taking it but then it goes away. I yawn all the time. Another thing I've noticed since I've been on it was decreased sexual mood and ejaculation feels weird, just weird. I'm not emotionless but sadness, depression and anger seem to not be present. Decreased appetite and lost a little weight. No other side effects experience."

Nightowl83 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It made my anxiety worse and caused me to have bad depression and bad diarrhea "

Anxiety.101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm on week 6 of Prozac and it saved my life. I went through a semester of major life changes (engagement, graduation, moving across country, major weight gain from stress, living with fiancee's parents, and stopped being able to see my friends) which resulted in me becoming severely depressed. I've NEVER been depressed in my life I'm the most bubbly person ever. Well when I started to get into a deep black hole and also having suicidal ideation (never had before) I decided to go to the doctor. She started me on 10mg for 4 weeks and with some change (75% better) we decided to try 20mg for 100%. I'm only on week 6 of being on prozac all together and it saved my life, my relationship and my joy. PLEASE give it time. I'm praying for you all!"

Vicvac February 1, 2017

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "For me, Prozac was unfortunately not so much of a success. I didn't feel worse but I didn't feel great either. I started taking it in Oct 2016 with a dose of 10 mg, then upped to 20mg and eventually to 40 mg. So really I changed doses 3 times in 3 months. (Which is probably not the best since you don't get to get use to the drug.) but anyways I wasn't feeling any better. Still felt down and very depressed. My psychiatrist has officially switched me to Venlafaxine (which I'm afraid of, since the reviews of that drugs aren't all positives). I have to say, while on the Prozac, sometimes I felt good but the majority of the time, I felt very depressed (not because of the drug). My side effects were fatigue and diarrhea."

jcl987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Before I was on Prozac,I would just feel sad all the time..I had been feeling like crying alot,and just in this constant depressive state. One day,I went to the doctor's office..I broke down, almost cried and told the doctor what was going on. He was so understanding,and said he was gonna start me on an antidepressant. So after having been on Prozac 20mg going on my 2nd week, I feel so much better. I'm more positive ,I don't get into hardly any depressive modes anymore ,and it feels like I finally have my life back. Plus the doctor added in a daily dose of .05 mg of Ativan to help ease with the panic attacks. I feel so much calmer, happier, and I'm able to function better at work. The combination of Prozac and Ativan works wonders for me:)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am female 65 yrs, 157 cm, 58 Kg. A lifetime of depression and anxiety, taking 20 mg Prozac daily for 15 years seemed to help a little but panic and anxiety was same as ever, terrible. As well, I was addicted to Zanax 5 mg per day for 14 years, which is a high dose and apparently considered by our government, a nasty drug to be restricted now. After 2 months of taking 60 mg Prozac I am no longer needing any Zanax at all. Weight is very stable, I am feeling normal in every way and sex with my husband every few days, is still wonderful and exciting. No doctor ever suggested the increase in dose of Prozac to help anxiety until very recently. That's why we need the internet."

Cheerfulagain January 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on many anti depressants and by far...Prozac gave me my life back. I am bi polar with PTSD and anxiety. I did lose weight and that was okay. I can sleep and am a happy woman again. I take 20mg each morning. I do not need a benzo for anxiety any longer oh and I am 33 years old. After fifteen years of Zoloft, lexapro, Paxil, Effexor, wellbutrin, you name it, I've been on it for long periods, changed to Prozac 6 months ago, I have my life back."

sissy8381 January 13, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac feels like poison being put in your body"

Joey36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been suffering from depression most of my life. I've been on Zoloft and Lexapro. I would change when one seemed to stop working so went to Prozac. BIG mistake. See the side effects? I had almost every one of them. Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong till my wife showed them the side effects. Almost died Lost 25# in about 3 weeks. Will never go back to it but who knows it might work for you just didn't for me"

wcemt1605 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication made me yawn frequently. After two months, I didn't notice any improvement in my mood but my jaw was killing me from yawning and clenching my teeth which I don't normally do. My friends and family also pointed out that I seemed more irritable and more likely to snap or be short tempered."

7nywh3r3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017