User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"Day 4 of 20mg Fluoxetine & I’m feeling physically & mentally lazy but loving it because it feels incredibly pleasurable. I shall keep going and see how I am doing in 2 weeks around physical energy levels because I want to be more productive. On the plus side I am no longer compulsively binge eating &/or purging occasionally which was hugely self-destructive & stressful since I have MS & my symptoms flared up. My symptoms are totally less already so I’m overjoyed. I plan to start swimming & getting my endorphins going again, if I get off the couch "

L September 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is the second SSRI I've tried for anxiety and depression. I will say that my anxiety now is basically nonexistent. I tried 20mg for a month then my doctor brought me up to 40mg. I feel like a complete zombie. I am so BORED and I feel like nothing is interesting or worth doing. I have no motivation. I sleep like 10 hours a night and end up taking a nap most days too. Prior to going on Prozac I was dealing with a lot of anxiety/agoraphobia but still had some motivation to do fun things or work on personal projects. Now I feel like everyday is just a slog to get through, that I need to occupy my brain somehow until I can go back to sleep. Prozac has made my suicidal thoughts a lot more frequent. I get very little enjoyment out of life and it feels like there's nothing to look forward to. I have no plan to act on these thoughts, but the increase led me to stop taking Prozac a week ago. Yesterday I learned that it can take as long as 3 months for Prozac to fully leave your body--yikes."

Lee September 7, 2018

"I've been on fluoxetine (alongside lamictal) for 6 months now and it’s been great. I’m using it for depression, anxiety/social anxiety, and some ocd-like tendencies. It’s been really helpful. I’ve done things I wouldn’t have been able to before, I talk to people easier, and I haven’t had any depressive cycles! Also I haven’t had any negative change to libido or any weight gain."

calimoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed the 20mg dosage of "Prozac" by my primary care physician per the request of my therapist. After two weeks of using it daily I think this is going to be part of a solution for me. After two weeks I definitely notice a difference. The 'noise' in my head (the horrible things it says) go nearly silent. My ears still ring a lot but not as much as before. I'm a little jittery, but I attribute that to a new exercise program I'm using as another part of the solution. The feeling I get about an hour after taking the pill is a sense of peace. The world appears a little brighter, and my tunnel vision subsides and the negative thoughts go mostly silent. I still have my spark while taking this drug too, which means I still have a sense of humor and can plan for the future. I still care about things, which is cool. I also find I don't overreact or worry about the future as much now. I'll see how this pans out in a month or two after I talk to a psychologist. Best wishes!"

Malachi Jones September 2, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been 3 months on Prozac feel like zombie, not wanting get up in morning and not sleeping properly"

Deedee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I lived life trying to fake it until I could make it. I lived like I was an extrovert but inside I felt like a worthless daughter, wife, mother and friend. I worked myself into a state of being physically ill & nearly died. When discovered that I subconsciously attempted a long term suicide, I woke up to complete chaos. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder w/psychosis. I started Prozac & was so sick & tired the first 2weeks that I wanted to stop taking it but wasn’t allowed to. Prozac allowed me to accept my natural personality & create a healthy, happy and safe way to live. I would love to think I would be ok now without it but it isn’t worth the risk. I have such peace in my heart & mind. I did add a low dose of Wellbutrin after the first year for sexual side effects. No drug will fix everything and they all have side effects but this combo has worked for me and has given me the life I now know I deserve. Good luck!"

Marthan August 2, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started Prozac for depression when I was 16 yrs old and I'm now 18 and a half, so I've been on it for around 2 years at this point. Any benefits this drug provided in terms of my mood were minimal. I started on 10mg, then 20mg, then 40mg. When the dose increased to 40mg my life became a foggy haze. I felt like a zombie, I had no emotions, I forgot what happiness or sadness actually felt like and felt so dark. Suicidal thoughts and life lost all meaning. I frequently put myself in dangerous situations, began smoking cigarettes, and nearly attempted suicide 2-3 times. Additionally, my sex drive is a thing of the past and maintaining a full erection during sex isn't possible. I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow and I will discontinue this med."

Jake (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking Prozac for almost 10 years. I feel it is no longer working for me and when I try to up the dose I get chest pains. Although it worked good for some time, I think I need a new antidepressant."

Snickers (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2018

"I had side effects of horrible chest pains that make me miserable! There is no relief until the spasm/episode has passed. I literally roll around in the floor sweating and feeling like I’m dying. The episodes normally last for about 30 minutes. I think I’m going to take my chances with depression over this misery!"

Momma Mia (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After over 2.5 yrs. of trying different antidepressants, I finally got to try Prozac and I feel like I've finally found something that works!"

Mia (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

"I have been taking fluoxetine off and on for about six months. I had previously been on Cipralex for a year and had tapered off due to side effects. I am happy with Prozac, it’s addressed my anxiety/depression/PMDD issues quite well. I am on 20 mg daily and sometimes I take a break due to sexual side effects. All in all I am very happy with this SSRI. It has very few side effects and I feel like my true self on it, like I did when I was a kid and relatively care free. Sometimes I think I can live without it but after awhile my bad outlook and negativity come back, no matter how hard I try to escape it and focus on CBT."

Mands (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication has helped me so much with my happiness and mood, it has definitely levelled me out. BUT I am quite disappointed because my sex drive and libido has gone. I hate saying that I had trouble maintaining an erection during sex twice. I did notice and pay attention to my libido going down over time. Completely stopped masturbating. Never had this problem before. I do blame this medication. It’s a shame. 4 days off it so I will see how it goes and see whether my libido improves. Been on this drug for about 3 months"

Sam15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on 10mg starting and it didn't help, so I went to 20mg and my life felt so on track, I gained 30 lbs, but with exercise daily I lost 15 and don't mind the way I look. I have bipolar II and It made my mania worse, but with the right mood stabilizer, I believe this antidepressant is a great. I switched to wellbutrin and I hate it, I am going back to Prozac today"

KADEZKO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

"This is the single worst medication I've ever, ever been on. From the first tablet, within two hours I felt drugged, heavy headed, very weak, woozy, not right, hyper anxious even though I also take benzos, and my heart kept racing. Couldn't sleep the night. Would wake up round 2am unable to get back to sleep until 5am. I kept taking the tablets for two weeks and then finally stopped after nearly fainting whilst driving. An absolute nightmare of a drug. I normally tolerate meds pretty well. But this one? Never, ever again."

CindyM (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Horrible drug. It made me feel like zombie, and there is the side effect of risks of suicidal thoughts. Took it for a few months before the side effects started kicking in with a suicide attempt . After I woke up I realized that it was the drug. After stopped taking it I feel much better on another med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've taken prozac for 10 months initially at 20mg then 40mg. It has worked very poorly for my depression and anxiety. I have become so constantly anxious and unmotivated due to the medication and dependant on alcohol. I need to change to something else this has had no positive effects on me."

Jon April 27, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed Prozac for my PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. When I started on Prozac my symptoms weren't nearly as bad as they have come to be now. It made me incredibly depressed, I was nauseous all the time on it, I was losing weight and I was already underweight as is -- 5'7" and 115lbs. The first time I ate a full meal on it was Thanksgiving at a relative's house, the whole next day I spent violently vomiting and had terrible diarrhea at the same time. Prozac wouldn't allow me to keep anything down, and the constant nausea throughout the days was terrible. Wouldn't suggest for someone with a sensitive stomach... ALSO my psychiatrist said there shouldn't be any effects coming off, I could just stop it. I crashed majorly! Depression got terribly worse, and panic attacks were coming on pretty bad for a short period after!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"I have severe depression and social anxiety. I couldn’t get out of bed. Doing a simple task such as brushing my teeth felt like climbing Mount Everest on one leg. I’ve been on Fluoxetine for two weeks now, and my mood has improved! It’s not as difficult for me to do chores or take care of myself. I was on another SSRI (Escitalopram) prior to this, so I don’t really feel bad side effects except for dizziness. I’m hopeful for the future and what it has in store for me."

Capy (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Give this medication at least 3 months to fully work. I started at 20 mg and increased to 40 mg within a month in a half.I have to be honest, the side effects can be difficult but stay with it regardless because you’ll be thankful you did by the time you start feeling the benefits of this drug. A year ago is when I started Prozac and I’m so much happier today than I was from the start Give it time because nothing good happens over night. Good Luck to everyone."

CrazyTown813 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Believe it or not but as soon as I took my first pill of this amazing drug, I felt sudden improvement in my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2018

"Been on prozac for the last 22 years. I am 68 years old. I was put on it at age 46. I know I was depressed all thru my childhood, teens, and up to when I was given prozac. I am now taking 60 mg every morning. It has shown me what normal feels like for the most part. But what bothers me now is that I have rarely cried over the 22 years on it. I cried briefly when my dad died, and cried when each of my dogs died. My husband and I are retired now. Sometimes I wish I could cry, but can t. Maybe that's the price I paid for being on it so long. I only tried to get off of prozac once, and that was a nightmare!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac for two weeks. Definitely works better for me over a period of time. Mood has significantly increased with a stabilising sense of well being. Been a lot happier. Everyone reacts differently, I recommend giving this a try. Best to stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks, Good luck! :) There is always hope"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I have been severely depressed since I was 12 years old I have been on almost all of the AD. Well I'm 43 and started prozac today I am also taking wellbutrin which I have been on for a couple of years. Today I started prozac at 20 mg and I felt a difference already. I felt relaxed, I didn't cry at all today, I didn't get upset or anything and I got a great nap today. So far so good. I hope it continues to make me feel better. I haven't felt this good in years. Thank God for this medication."

depressedgirl (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on many medications for depression. Prozac makes me the most happy. I'm 18 years old. Prozac helps me a lot. But it might not help everyone. It might even change for me."

MRL (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had depression for a while, I have been in and out of therapy, and this is the first medication I have been given. I had taken it for about 2 weeks, and it made me feel worse, it gave me random energy spikes, and I was easily agitated. After I came off of the energy high, I was feeling worse then I had before I had taken it. Upon my more detailed research of the drug, I had found a few of my friends had taken it, and were up to 70mg, and it had helped them, but I couldn't seem to have the same effects. My aunt had taken the medication, and said that it helped her, but not as much as the therapy did. I feel like this is a drug that might work for a very few select of people."

Ani (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Depression