User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"This medication is a miracle drug. If a person does not take it on time each day, they are causing themselves to feel super down. This medication saved my life in 1989. My ability to function as a normal person was wonderful immediately after I took the first pill. If you cry too much, feel anxious when things do not go right, get agitated when others do things differently than you do, freak out at small things that can be fixed easily and feel hopeless in many situations, this is the medication to request from your doctor. DO IT NOW! DO NOT WAIT! Find out how it feels to have balanced seratonin in your body and remember: it is NOT your fault. Do not be ashamed to tell others how it changed your life! :)"

Jalbc (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2018

"Not bad"

Naira007 January 4, 2018

"This drug is absolutely my miracle drug. Twelve years ago I was hospitalized for depression so bad that I couldn't even sit up in a chair. As soon as they put me on 30mg Prozac, I was a new person. I walked out of there 2 days later feeling absolutely fine. I've taken it ever since and haven't had any depression in the past 12 years, except for the month when I tried to go off it just to see if I could. Everyone in my family who has had depression responds in the same way to Prozac. It's our wonder drug. Thank you, E Lilly."

Anonymous January 3, 2018

"For the first few weeks of taking it made me feel super bad my sleeping was all over the place and I actually felt very suicidal it made my anxiety crazy I couldn't go out without feeling terrible I was nervous to go out and always on edge, eventually it started getting a bit better but mostly felt down maybe 1 or 2 days of the month I'd be pretty happier than normal but then after a few months it died down and they personally didn't work at all like they just stopped showing affect so I gave up and stopped taking them and now I feel the same as I do if I was taking them these are probably 1 of the worst antidepressants I've took refuse to take them again (also made me pretty nauseous the first few weeks)"

Phoebecatlover November 16, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medicine does wonders. I am a 27 year old male who suffered from severe cyclical depression. This drug, (also known as fluoxetine when I get it cheaper), did wonders for my outlook and disposition of the world. It feels as if a solid barrier has been thrown up in my mind against things which would otherwise stress me out or cause depression. It also has a profound stabilizing effect in general on mood, thoughts, and feelings. I am deeply thankful for this drug. I would suggest trying it if you are reading this and suffer from these conditions."

Nephi November 14, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking prozac for the past 7 weeks. I have always been a worrier but it got a lot worse during 2nd semester of my first year in medical school. Despite my anxiety and depression I was always a straight A student. I had great study skills and I had great concentration. But I started fearing studying and going to classes because it usually triggers my anxiety. So I just stopped doing school work and I just slept. My parents stated getting worried and they took me to see a psychiatrist. He put me on prozac (20mg). Prozac really helped me at first. I watched movies and spent a lot of time with my siblings but my academic performance was bad. Since then it has gotten worse. Should I just withdraw? Should I give up my dream?"

tutusha November 12, 2017

"Being on Prozac was a nightmare experience. I have something called adjustment disorder with depressive episodes and anxiety attacks. My psychiatrist put me on 10mg to start with in conjunction with my Wellbutrin. The first week was fine and then I went up to 20mg. I started feeling restless and anxious all the time and my appetite was completely gone - I didn't want to eat at all. I had to literally force feed myself and I was losing weight rapidly. Then, over a month later, I had increasingly bad rage episodes where I would scream at people for no reason whatsoever. I yelled at a total stranger while driving and then had a panic attack . Stopped the drug and it went away."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was going through a very deep and dark depression for several months. Prozac was the very anti-depressant to work for me. After about 2 weeks, I could tell the medication was really working. I wasn't having constant OCD related circling thoughts that made my depression worse and I wasn't on the verge of crying every second. This pill is a MIRACLE for me. No side effects, maybe weight gain but I'm also eating again when before I was barely eating and dropped 10 lbs. Definitely take the medication at night because it'll make you tired if you take it in the morning."

Ash 1989 October 2, 2017

"It is a very good medicine. I did not get any side effect from it."

Phanikanth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2017

"Prozac saved my life. Before Prozac, I had constant suicidal thoughts, fatigue, and a foggy mind. I forgot what it was like to be happy, and now I wake up feeling that I have a purpose in this world."

Littlelaur (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

"This medicine is magic. I swear. It has worked wonders for me! I wish I would have been put on this long before any others. Might I add, NEVER try Paxil. Don't do it. You'll thank me later. Anyhow, Prozac has been a total game changer for me. I was skeptical at first because of how many ppl say they suffer from sexual side effects, but let me tell you, there's none of that here! I haven't had a single negative side effect from Prozac! I feel happy and energized. Works great for my severe depression and anxiety! I take 20mg a day. One of the oldest, best crazy meds around!!!"

afwifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

"I was previously on Paxil 30mg. I weaned myself off of it because I felt it wasn't working anymore, and also the weight gain was horrible. 25lbs in 6 months!! I was meds free for about a week before I decided I definitely need something. My depression and anxiety was creeping it's way back in, and I just felt horrible overall. Went back to the DR, and she gave me Prozac 20mg. My brain was already adjusted to SSRIs, so there wasn't much of a side effect period. Actually, I don't recall any side effects at all! But let me just tell you, Prozac (fluoxetine) is AMAZING! My depression and anxiety are gone!! I go outside so much more. This is the first time in my life I can ever remember waking up and thinking, "What CAN I do today!""

E Reynolds (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

"I took fluoxetine all through my adolescence and it did nothing for my depression. We kept increasing the dosage to the maximum safe limit but nothing changed. However, the symptoms did not get worse and the only adverse side effects were gastric reflux and nausea immediately after taking it."

rongeromy (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

"Well I've been on Prozac for 3 weeks now 20mg, and I don't know if its helped. My depression is still there, I'm still very anxious and most of the time I can't stop shaking. But the most curious part is my bulimia that I've been dealing with for years on and off has come back to the point where anything I eat I throw up or I don't eat at all"

lowkeystillsad July 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

"Love love love it! Got my life back after 5 years of depression. I feel like myself again."

Swedishgirl July 13, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

"I have been on Prozac over many years. It has helped me with major depression, social anxiety, eating disorder... I would not want to live without it ever again."

cheesecakebinge (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have limited history with psych meds & I haven only tried two other antidepressants (Zoloft and Remeron). Both were awful for me. Side effects outweighed any minimal benefit they may have had. But since taking Prozac, nearly two weeks ago, my mood has changed entirely. I take it in the morning and it gives me a sense of purpose and excitement to experience the day. Before, I was having panic attacks so bad before work I would consider calling in. Prozac has not had any negative SSRI side effects like I had with sertraline, but I am going to continue paying attention to how I feel over time on this. My anxiety is minimal and melatonin currently has me sleeping like a baby. I hope it never stops working for me. For now, this medicine is great."

Klee9983529443 June 23, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on Prozac for a month now. I was hesitant because I have tried antidepressants in the past and they did not agree with me. I am shocked at how I am feeling. I am calm. My social anxiety (that I thought was more of a personality trait) is gone. I feel compelled to take care of myself. I have energy. I am happy. Like many, I had a paralyzing fear of June bugs. I stupidly left my outside light on the other evening and came home to their swarm. I unlocked the door and even swatted one away from my ear and walked in the house. My heart rate didn't even increase. I am a whole new person."

courtsaloo June 22, 2017

"Works for me and no more panic attacks and illogical negative/automatic thoughts. I can 'manage' my depression which I guess is for life but I'm philosophical about it as I was a mess before Fluoxetine. However - I got cocky a few months back and stopped my 20mg daily dosage.Felt fine (for a while) then it came back and bit me in the ass with panicky rushes and illogical negativity (which thankfully I now recognize as part of the symptoms) Been taking it again for over a month and feeling awful right now and in a few weeks I'm hoping for stability to return."

BB McGraw June 11, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "The last medication I was on for depression completely numbed me out to the point where I had no emotions. With this medication, I am able to be happy and sad but it doesn’t work too well to keep away the suicidal thoughts. (I am on 20mg) I wish this medication was able to make me feel happier and not constantly be fighting between happy and sad."

Devy Grace June 8, 2017

"Helped with depressive thoughts and episodes quite a bit, I was in a toxic environment at work and home, which were one in the same. Started at 10mg for 4 weeks, which helped a little with my symptoms of 'negative meditation' where I could only think of mistakes I made and how I couldn't concentrate at work. Went from functioning 30% to 70%. Increased to 20mg even though I hesitated because I was experiencing some unpleasant side effects. They indeed worsened on 20mg to my un-surprise. I had low sex drive before because of the depression, but my desire is gone now because of the medication. Starting to feel numb, and there's something inside me that won't relax. I quit my job and moved, too. Still have some anxiety."

Flooz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017