User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"I have been taking fluoxetine off and on for about six months. I had previously been on Cipralex for a year and had tapered off due to side effects. I am happy with Prozac, it’s addressed my anxiety/depression/PMDD issues quite well. I am on 20 mg daily and sometimes I take a break due to sexual side effects. All in all I am very happy with this SSRI. It has very few side effects and I feel like my true self on it, like I did when I was a kid and relatively care free. Sometimes I think I can live without it but after awhile my bad outlook and negativity come back, no matter how hard I try to escape it and focus on CBT."

Mands (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication has helped me so much with my happiness and mood, it has definitely levelled me out. BUT I am quite disappointed because my sex drive and libido has gone. I hate saying that I had trouble maintaining an erection during sex twice. I did notice and pay attention to my libido going down over time. Completely stopped masturbating. Never had this problem before. I do blame this medication. It’s a shame. 4 days off it so I will see how it goes and see whether my libido improves. Been on this drug for about 3 months"

Sam15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on 10mg starting and it didn't help, so I went to 20mg and my life felt so on track, I gained 30 lbs, but with exercise daily I lost 15 and don't mind the way I look. I have bipolar II and It made my mania worse, but with the right mood stabilizer, I believe this antidepressant is a great. I switched to wellbutrin and I hate it, I am going back to Prozac today"

KADEZKO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

"This is the single worst medication I've ever, ever been on. From the first tablet, within two hours I felt drugged, heavy headed, very weak, woozy, not right, hyper anxious even though I also take benzos, and my heart kept racing. Couldn't sleep the night. Would wake up round 2am unable to get back to sleep until 5am. I kept taking the tablets for two weeks and then finally stopped after nearly fainting whilst driving. An absolute nightmare of a drug. I normally tolerate meds pretty well. But this one? Never, ever again."

CindyM (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Horrible drug. It made me feel like zombie, and there is the side effect of risks of suicidal thoughts. Took it for a few months before the side effects started kicking in with a suicide attempt . After I woke up I realized that it was the drug. After stopped taking it I feel much better on another med."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've taken prozac for 10 months initially at 20mg then 40mg. It has worked very poorly for my depression and anxiety. I have become so constantly anxious and unmotivated due to the medication and dependant on alcohol. I need to change to something else this has had no positive effects on me."

Jon April 27, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed Prozac for my PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. When I started on Prozac my symptoms weren't nearly as bad as they have come to be now. It made me incredibly depressed, I was nauseous all the time on it, I was losing weight and I was already underweight as is -- 5'7" and 115lbs. The first time I ate a full meal on it was Thanksgiving at a relative's house, the whole next day I spent violently vomiting and had terrible diarrhea at the same time. Prozac wouldn't allow me to keep anything down, and the constant nausea throughout the days was terrible. Wouldn't suggest for someone with a sensitive stomach... ALSO my psychiatrist said there shouldn't be any effects coming off, I could just stop it. I crashed majorly! Depression got terribly worse, and panic attacks were coming on pretty bad for a short period after!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"I have severe depression and social anxiety. I couldn’t get out of bed. Doing a simple task such as brushing my teeth felt like climbing Mount Everest on one leg. I’ve been on Fluoxetine for two weeks now, and my mood has improved! It’s not as difficult for me to do chores or take care of myself. I was on another SSRI (Escitalopram) prior to this, so I don’t really feel bad side effects except for dizziness. I’m hopeful for the future and what it has in store for me."

Capy (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Give this medication at least 3 months to fully work. I started at 20 mg and increased to 40 mg within a month in a half.I have to be honest, the side effects can be difficult but stay with it regardless because you’ll be thankful you did by the time you start feeling the benefits of this drug. A year ago is when I started Prozac and I’m so much happier today than I was from the start Give it time because nothing good happens over night. Good Luck to everyone."

CrazyTown813 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Believe it or not but as soon as I took my first pill of this amazing drug, I felt sudden improvement in my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2018

"Been on prozac for the last 22 years. I am 68 years old. I was put on it at age 46. I know I was depressed all thru my childhood, teens, and up to when I was given prozac. I am now taking 60 mg every morning. It has shown me what normal feels like for the most part. But what bothers me now is that I have rarely cried over the 22 years on it. I cried briefly when my dad died, and cried when each of my dogs died. My husband and I are retired now. Sometimes I wish I could cry, but can t. Maybe that's the price I paid for being on it so long. I only tried to get off of prozac once, and that was a nightmare!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac for two weeks. Definitely works better for me over a period of time. Mood has significantly increased with a stabilising sense of well being. Been a lot happier. Everyone reacts differently, I recommend giving this a try. Best to stick with it for at least 2-3 weeks, Good luck! :) There is always hope"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I have been severely depressed since I was 12 years old I have been on almost all of the AD. Well I'm 43 and started prozac today I am also taking wellbutrin which I have been on for a couple of years. Today I started prozac at 20 mg and I felt a difference already. I felt relaxed, I didn't cry at all today, I didn't get upset or anything and I got a great nap today. So far so good. I hope it continues to make me feel better. I haven't felt this good in years. Thank God for this medication."

depressedgirl (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on many medications for depression. Prozac makes me the most happy. I'm 18 years old. Prozac helps me a lot. But it might not help everyone. It might even change for me."

MRL (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had depression for a while, I have been in and out of therapy, and this is the first medication I have been given. I had taken it for about 2 weeks, and it made me feel worse, it gave me random energy spikes, and I was easily agitated. After I came off of the energy high, I was feeling worse then I had before I had taken it. Upon my more detailed research of the drug, I had found a few of my friends had taken it, and were up to 70mg, and it had helped them, but I couldn't seem to have the same effects. My aunt had taken the medication, and said that it helped her, but not as much as the therapy did. I feel like this is a drug that might work for a very few select of people."

Ani (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"Morning World Day three for me on Lovan 20mg. Had a slight case of the runny bum and nausea off and on with some sleeplessness.. The positives I’m feeling energised spending less sloth time on the lounge with my inner mean girl thoughts. It’s lijke a switch has been turned off or on pending on your perception .. Early days but I choose to embrace the positives be hopeful and grateful regardless of what I am / will experience on the Lovan .. Thank you all for sharing your own experiences here as I researched to no end and felt supported by your feed back .. Love and light to you all on your journey .."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I used Prozac and nothing happened, my psychiatrist increased my dose but nothing happened so I was taken off."

Roxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Okay, so, I took this drug for about two years, it did NOTHING. It almost made my depression worse. I never wanted to leave the house, I didn't even want to play baseball, the sport I've loved since I was little. I had good grades before I stared taking this, it made my unfocused, shaky, and all around nervous. My grades plummeted. All in all, Do not take prozac."

AstrosFan117 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "When do most people take there med I take 20 MG a day I just started my third week and wondering if all nervousness ,anxious anxiety will subside any help would be appreciated thanks . Gc"

Gc March 15, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've taken prozac for 2 weeks now. So far I've experienced a big decrease in appetite, which has been okay. The two major things that this drug has changed for me is that it's made me calm and collected and it makes me worry/stress less. The thoughts and problems that usually fill in my head don't affect me as much anymore and I get over things much quicker, which has led to decreasing my stress and my severe anxiety. I've also felt very calm and mellow, which could turn some people off but for me it has been a blessing. I've always not been able to stay still or focus, and am very scatterbrained, so this is a huge change that I've welcomed. It has helped me actually get things done and focus, and has made me much more productive since I actually have the motivation to do things now. Thanks for reading, I wish all of you luck on Prozac! Will definitely continue taking this amazing drug and am excited to see how much more it can positively change my life in the future."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Made my depression worse, I felt like I wasn’t able to enjoy life anymore and I became much lazier. Two weeks of using the medicine and I overdosed. This drug can be very dangerous since your messing with your brains chemicals eventually your brain will try to reach equilibrium and make your depression worse"

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It literally saved my life. I have been on antidepressants and mood stabilizers for about 25 years now. Up until about 8 years ago I was on setraline and depakote plus other mood stabilizers... nothing worked. I was horribly depressed, suicidal, and had gained so much weight. Then I had a breakdown . I was rushed to a doctors out of town and changed my meds. I was put on Prozac. I have been on it for about 8 years. You have to stick with it. It you stop it for what ever reason or miss more than a couple days doses then you will start feeling bad. It does help. I probably would not be here today if it was not for my doc and Prozac. Just give it time and stick to it. Do not give up. You have to give it time to kick in. A couple of days of side effects is not a reason to quit. Good luck."

Sox Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2018

"This medication has really changed my life so far. I'm high on energy, I'm more social, less irritated, angry, and less depressed. When I do get down however I don't sulk in negative thoughts and I'm able to come out of sadness more quickly. I'm less anxious in social situations where I would usually feel uncomfortable. No weight gain, which I was very worried about but the doctor said wasn't a typical side affect. Everything has stayed pretty normal I just notice being happier. I'm currently taking 10 mg because I wanted to be on the lowest dose. I was skeptical about getting on a psych med but I had to make a decision between living my life under a dark cloud or living my life in the sunlight. I chose the sunlight. I hope this information helped."

Bella February 28, 2018

"Hi I have been taking Zoloft for years but I feel I have come to and end with Zoloft. It’s as if I’m taking nothing I feel low and tearing up constantly . I have switched today to Prozac I am excited to feel myself again and I’m sure the people around me will be happy not see me cry all the time .. here goes day one .. wish me luck x lizzzy"

Lizzy (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "2 years ago when I was 20 years old in college suffering from a terrible episode of depression I was prescribed my first antidepressant: Prozac. After 3 weeks I felt AMAZING. I was having sexual dysfunction so they added Wellbutrin. I felt great for almost 2 months until I had my first and only seizure. (Wellbutrin lowers the threshold for seizures). I discontinued Wellbutrin. I tried Prozac after the seizure and it had no positive effect like it did. In retrospective, I believe that the prozac induced a hypomania episode. I have never had a hypomanic episode before then or since."

VickyEE (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018