User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Having a history of family heath problems it was my time to develop one of my own, i was diagnosed with moderately severe depression and was placed on a moderate dose of Prozac. Weeks in i became extremely lethargic , my mood hadn't stabilized one bit, i presumed i would need a higher dose and that followed. Eventually the dosage had quadrupled and showing no improvement, i beg to view the world in a haze, nothing seemed real and i didn't recognize myself . I was incredibly suicidal. If you are not feeling this drug is effective do not continue using it, otherwise suicide is a very genuine threat. I have found Sertraline effective as opposed to this freakish medicine."

Send Help (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have never had thoughts about suicide until I took Prozac. This was the absolute scariest experience of my life."

squirrellover (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac was the worst for me. Wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I was using it for depression and anxiety and when i first started taking it i felt terrible, stayed on it for another 4 months or so till my psychiatrist (who did absolutely nothing for me, spent a total of 15 minutes with me in 3 appts.) uped my dose to 20mg, i started feeling really tired all the time, got headaches, felt sick, my head was ALWAYS foggy, couldnt remember much, drained me right out. So without my doctors word i stopped taking it and i still feel depressed and anxious but i feel much more alive and much better. Prozac didnt work for me at all."

Okayy123 July 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've tried a few antidepressents. Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Remeron... I've been on Prozac for nearly three months. I was prescribed 20 mg a day for the first month and told the doctor I didn't notice anything. She still kept me on 20 mg a day for the second month. Still nothing, but drowsiness was a problem (gone now). I've been on 30 mg a day for the past three weeks, and in the past week or so, I think something about me is different. I rarely have the suicidal thoughts I did before (I still do though). I'm also normally really awkward, but now I feel natural when I say something, no shaky voice. Idk how to explain what I'm feeling. The past week I've been pretty nauseous though. I usually eat a LOT though so I don't mind it"

cuebalal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"Been on it for 49 days for anxiety and depression . Works great ! First 2 weeks were rough but the 6th week I feel great ! Also lost 15 lbs ..still enjoy sex too :)"

Ak72 July 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After trying celexa (which helped my anxiety but not my depression) my doctor reccomended Prozac. I was in a very bad state at the time and was up for anything to make me feel better. After taking it for about 3 weeks I started having extreme suicidal thoughts everyday, which was very unlike me even with major depression. I told my doctor and she said she felt she was just under treating me and uped my does another 20mg. After another week I had to put myself into a hospital because I felt I had no control over the suicidal part of me. I have been off of Prozac for over 2, months now and have had little to no suicidal thoughts although my depression and anxiety has worsened from the experience I feel."

Briiiiiii July 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on Prozac only for a week now but I've noticed a big change in my sleeping schedule and headaches...they've gotten so much worse!!! Can't think straight anymore and my head's always pounding. My review on this drug will change if i begin to see positive effects, but as of now, I'm ready to ask my psychiatrist for a new drug!"

Alexa S. July 6, 2016

"I had slight depression I was told by my councillor, she had put me on this medication to try and help lift my mood while still having meetings for the councilling! Within 2 months I was down to the lowest I had ever been and attempted suicide, a few weeks after I decided to take myself off the medication as it was making me worse, I have been so much happier than I ever was while on that medication, it is such a dangerous drug not to be used for mild cases as it makes it worse in my opinion."

Kmlmccabek (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "They say this is supposed to take several weeks to kick in, but I noticed positive effects within 3 days of taking 20mg. Less irritable, less anxious, and feeling a bit more happy-go-lucky. I have noticed an increase in appetite, but I can't confirm if it's a side effect. I tend to eat more when I'm happier, and lose appetite when depressed."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have suffered from depression for over 30 years now and have gone on and off of Prozak several times during the years. What I have found is that when I'm taking it I will feel so good that I always eventually stop taking it thinking that I do not need it but then after a few months I need To go back on the medication and within no more than 2 weeks I feel like a new person. While writing this I only hope that I never foolish enough to stop taking Prozak."

AAJJ (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took Prozac for about a year. My husband said I seemed less depressed so I continued taking it, but in most ways I seemed worse. I felt like a zombie. I lost interest in sex. I just sat around all day doing nothing. I am 65 now and I have had depression since I was about 10. I find that meditation, exercise, and careful eating have helped me way more than prozac. The only time I get depressed now is if I eat junk food. I eat only organic foods. I quit eating all grains (pasta, rice, cereal, bread, crackers, cookies, cake, etc.). I never use sugar. If I need a little sweetener I use stevia (no artificial sweeteners). I eat a lot of veggies. I eat only a small amount of fruit (sugar) especially berries. Healthy/Happy."

fixedmyself (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2016

"I've been on Prozac for one month. I don't notice much other than vivid dreams and weight loss. I started out at 125 and now am 118 even though I still feel like I'm eating normally. My dreams are very lucid and intense. Gonna give it more time to see if it helps with my depression but so far I don't notice it."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "About 3-4 months of using this medicine I started to notice the way it effected my thinking. Things would come up in my life that would've normally triggered my depression. However when these things happened, I felt a fake sense of relief. I felt like I wanted to be upset about these things that were happening, but my brain wouldn't let me. It felt unfamiliar and unlike myself. It was as though I could feel a whole layer of feelings that I was unable to express. My doctor switched me over to Zoloft and I'm noticing better results."

Iamprozacnation May 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "life saver at first made me feel tired but now i have energy and more out going"

kingac May 18, 2016

"Very cheap cure for depression. Saved my life. Had no side effects. I think this should be the first antidepressant to try when your diagnosed. I was a teen and it is safe"

Tween1998boogiehooola May 16, 2016

"It's only day 3 on Prozac for severe depression and anxiety. First day, I was only tired and couldn't think straight (had trouble finding the right words) but my family helped by laughing it off and going along with me when I'd use the wrong word. Day 2, tired, nauseous and foggy. It feels like I'm not in my skin, but watching life as a movie. Today is day 3 and while I haven't cried today, I'm just exhausted, sad and not hungry. I pray this gets better after a couple of weeks. It's strange because even though I'm exhausted, it's hard to sleep at times. I'm hopeful this will work. I'll try to come give updates."

mzcat May 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on 10mg fluoxetine for just over one week - I did take it for a few days a little while ago, it made my IBS worse, so I stopped. My doctor persuaded me to give it another go. I know it's early days, but so far it's all bad! Before I was tired, unmotivated, no concentration, barely able to wash or do the simplest things. Now - I'm like the walking dead! Even more tired, even less motivation, brain fog - you name it. And possibly more depressed! I also had terrible joint pains - I have arthritis anyway! The joint pains seem to be lessening, the others aren't- so far! I just hope it's a case of getting worse before it gets better, cos atm it's almost unbearable!"

OldCrone (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was depressed since I could remember, always low energy and just wanting something to kill me didn't matter, but Prozac helps me a lot. I still have my bad days but they aren't as severe of frequent. Thanks Prozac!"

DragonsSong (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Given my experience on this medication, I should probably give it a "1", but I'm going to give it a 4 because of my initial response to it. I've had depression for 20 years, and the symptoms have never remitted, which eventually lead to my choice to seek hospitalization last year. However, a week after I went on this medication, my symptoms were completely gone. All of the cognitive, impulse control and executive functioning deficits related to my partially remitted depression disappeared. HOWEVER....the medication made me manic in about a month. I started experiencing paranoid delusions and had to admit myself to the hospital again. I'm heartbroken that it didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for others."

Lucy33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac since I began my hospitalization at a mental facility in March. I am on Prozac for approximately 1 month now. The first week was still awful for me, but Prozac did make me feel better. The following two weeks I began to feel progressively "happier", and I started participating in activities more. Lots of people commented on how I became more bubbly after my hospitalization. However, I am beginning to feel down again recently. Hopefully my psychiatrist can figure something out."

Lolip585 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had depression and anxiety for several years, and have been on many anti-depressants and none have been as effective as Prozac has been for me. I was previously on Celexa and although it did help my depression it also made me gain a lot of weight. Since being ok Prozac though my appetite has went down tremendously and I feel amazing. I have never been this happy even before depression hit me."

Emmetilee May 1, 2016

"one of the worst medication ever causes nightmare and makes u depressed and panicky"

Thol April 29, 2016

"very helpful"

cacamph April 27, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication has literally saved my life!! I was severely depressed and had horrible anxiety and almost committed suicide. The first week on this drug was awful and I was very sick....then a miracle happened. After only a couple of weeks I suddenly realised that I felt 'normal', my thoughts were clear and organised, I was able to laugh, focus, I didn't feel like crying anymore, my fun-loving personality was shining through once more and I became a better version of me. Everyone has noticed and commented, I am now a great person to be around. I am able to work and eat and sleep and function like a normal young woman and it's all thanks to this amazing drug. It really has given me my life back."

Leesa87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on Prozac 20mg for two and a half weeks. I'm still hiding under the duvet. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety. Can anyone tell me how much longer I've got to wait to feel well again."

bedridden (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016