User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

"It is a very good medicine. I did not get any side effect from it."

Phanikanth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prozac saved my life. Before Prozac, I had constant suicidal thoughts, fatigue, and a foggy mind. I forgot what it was like to be happy, and now I wake up feeling that I have a purpose in this world."

Littlelaur (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is magic. I swear. It has worked wonders for me! I wish I would have been put on this long before any others. Might I add, NEVER try Paxil. Don't do it. You'll thank me later. Anyhow, Prozac has been a total game changer for me. I was skeptical at first because of how many ppl say they suffer from sexual side effects, but let me tell you, there's none of that here! I haven't had a single negative side effect from Prozac! I feel happy and energized. Works great for my severe depression and anxiety! I take 20mg a day. One of the oldest, best crazy meds around!!!"

afwifey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was so depressed and I started this medicine without expecting that after 15 days I am like I've taken ecstasy. I am full of energy I don't hesitate to be myself! I love being my self actually! I'm not thinking anymore about cocaine, weed and stuff like that cause that was the main reason that I needed a doctor! THANK U PROZAC"

Andy pallas August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Didn't do anything for me"

Shoemaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was previously on Paxil 30mg. I weaned myself off of it because I felt it wasn't working anymore, and also the weight gain was horrible. 25lbs in 6 months!! I was meds free for about a week before I decided I definitely need something. My depression and anxiety was creeping it's way back in, and I just felt horrible overall. Went back to the DR, and she gave me Prozac 20mg. My brain was already adjusted to SSRIs, so there wasn't much of a side effect period. Actually, I don't recall any side effects at all! But let me just tell you, Prozac (fluoxetine) is AMAZING! My depression and anxiety are gone!! I go outside so much more. This is the first time in my life I can ever remember waking up and thinking, "What CAN I do today!""

E Reynolds (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took fluoxetine all through my adolescence and it did nothing for my depression. We kept increasing the dosage to the maximum safe limit but nothing changed. However, the symptoms did not get worse and the only adverse side effects were gastric reflux and nausea immediately after taking it."

rongeromy (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I've been on Prozac for 3 weeks now 20mg, and I don't know if its helped. My depression is still there, I'm still very anxious and most of the time I can't stop shaking. But the most curious part is my bulimia that I've been dealing with for years on and off has come back to the point where anything I eat I throw up or I don't eat at all"

lowkeystillsad July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Love love love it! Got my life back after 5 years of depression. I feel like myself again."

Swedishgirl July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Prozac over many years. It has helped me with major depression, social anxiety, eating disorder... I would not want to live without it ever again."

cheesecakebinge (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have limited history with psych meds & I haven only tried two other antidepressants (Zoloft and Remeron). Both were awful for me. Side effects outweighed any minimal benefit they may have had. But since taking Prozac, nearly two weeks ago, my mood has changed entirely. I take it in the morning and it gives me a sense of purpose and excitement to experience the day. Before, I was having panic attacks so bad before work I would consider calling in. Prozac has not had any negative SSRI side effects like I had with sertraline, but I am going to continue paying attention to how I feel over time on this. My anxiety is minimal and melatonin currently has me sleeping like a baby. I hope it never stops working for me. For now, this medicine is great."

Klee9983529443 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on Prozac for a month now. I was hesitant because I have tried antidepressants in the past and they did not agree with me. I am shocked at how I am feeling. I am calm. My social anxiety (that I thought was more of a personality trait) is gone. I feel compelled to take care of myself. I have energy. I am happy. Like many, I had a paralyzing fear of June bugs. I stupidly left my outside light on the other evening and came home to their swarm. I unlocked the door and even swatted one away from my ear and walked in the house. My heart rate didn't even increase. I am a whole new person."

courtsaloo June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works for me and no more panic attacks and illogical negative/automatic thoughts. I can 'manage' my depression which I guess is for life but I'm philosophical about it as I was a mess before Fluoxetine. However - I got cocky a few months back and stopped my 20mg daily dosage.Felt fine (for a while) then it came back and bit me in the ass with panicky rushes and illogical negativity (which thankfully I now recognize as part of the symptoms) Been taking it again for over a month and feeling awful right now and in a few weeks I'm hoping for stability to return."

BB McGraw June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "The last medication I was on for depression completely numbed me out to the point where I had no emotions. With this medication, I am able to be happy and sad but it doesn’t work too well to keep away the suicidal thoughts. (I am on 20mg) I wish this medication was able to make me feel happier and not constantly be fighting between happy and sad."

Devy Grace June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped with depressive thoughts and episodes quite a bit, I was in a toxic environment at work and home, which were one in the same. Started at 10mg for 4 weeks, which helped a little with my symptoms of 'negative meditation' where I could only think of mistakes I made and how I couldn't concentrate at work. Went from functioning 30% to 70%. Increased to 20mg even though I hesitated because I was experiencing some unpleasant side effects. They indeed worsened on 20mg to my un-surprise. I had low sex drive before because of the depression, but my desire is gone now because of the medication. Starting to feel numb, and there's something inside me that won't relax. I quit my job and moved, too. Still have some anxiety."

Flooz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take Cipralex for my anxiety/depression and have recently switched to this as the Cipralex did not work for me. Fluoxetine has helped me with both depression and anxiety, in a big way. I still struggle with some depressive symptoms, but they're manageable, and I'm able to recognize anxiety for what it is, rather than letting it cycle into so much negative self-talk that it contributes even more to depressive symptoms. Overall, I've had a great experience with this drug, but recommend careful monitoring for any medication switch. Hang in there!"

anon87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "6 months ago, I was hospitalized. I had never been treated for my depression due to insurance and financial issues. During my 9 day stay at the hospital, they started me on 20mg of Prozac. By the time I left the hospital, I was at 40mg. The suicidal thoughts went away and I was able to feel moments of clarity. Although, I made some big life changes after being released from the hospital, the depression was still there. Sleep and isolation was still my life. Now that I have been on Prozac for 6 months, I look back and realize how far I have come. I am now taking 80 mg a day and I can finally break through the fog. For me, depression wasn't necessarily sadness, but an absence in vitality. Prozac has helped me regain it."

Ramakin May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this drug after going to my GP after months of feeling like I was the only person in the world feeling this way thinking I wasn't normal and that I couldn't tell anyone about how I felt. I felt depressed, anxious and after taking this for about 7 weeks I started to feel so much better like my old self again and then I thought I was fine and I stopped taking it but now I am back to being very anxious and uneasy about everything so I am starting them again I would not recommended you stop taking these pills even if you feel you are ready. Always talk to a GP first if you think it's time to stop. I 100% recommend anyone who feels like they need help to get better to try these out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed 2-3 weeks ago...was so happy to finally have something I thought would help prescribed to me. I tried it for two days...felt my depression/scary scenarios get worse, so I stopped. Depression was still there but not as bad as it is when I am on the pill. I took it again to see if it will finally work this time...it's my 3rd day, still feeling worse but I'm trying to wait for it to work because I've read it works after 2-3 weeks. So I hope it helps... :/"

MissLR April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Young male early 20s. I suffer from major depression as well as anxiety. I tried 20mg Prozac only because it supposedly gives people more energy. The first 1-2 weeks I experienced side effects such as extreme fatigue and increased anxiety. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel better, however, it worked until it seemed to stop after about a month. It still helped relieve my symptoms slightly, but I had returning feelings of fear, panic, negativity etc and never felt more energized. I stopped taking it and after 3 days immediately felt much better. I ended up switching back to 10mg Lexapro because it worked great for me. Prozac helped somewhat, but for those who struggle mostly with depression/anxiety, I'd try more selective SSRIs personally."

RainyDay423 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017