User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Also known as: Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra

Fluoxetine has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 592 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 61% of those users who reviewed Fluoxetine reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

iliketrees · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2021

“no thanks!! [warning suicide ideation (SI) + self-harm (SH) mention in this review: First med I was on (surprise surprise), and really know how I was supposed to be feeling. My fluoxetine dose went up super slowly because my psych was weird about it, but by the time I got to 30mg I realized I didn't like it, she increased my dose anyway. I basically became nocturnal, sleeping for 14-16hrs then sluggishly doing some homework and playing Mario Kart. Then dose went up to 60mg didn't help but also the only thing it made worse (which is significant) was SI/SH. So yeah, no thanks. Only side effects I remember were a bit less appetite and worse dissociation. Moral of the story I wouldn't personally recommend if you have more complex issues (I had 6+ DX at the time) but also, if your psych doesn't listen then fire them. 2/10 because I really didn't like it it but no severe non-mood side effects”

Baby · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2021

“just prescribed this fluoxetine and it was going well calming down now after 2 weeks it’s reversing and rather angry I’m lost......”

vstud · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2021

“This gets rid of Depression . Now I have energy. No side effects that bothers me. Be patient at the first two weeks because it’s known that increases anxiety. However as I said only for a short period of time. Don’t buy the idea that Fluoxetine is an old antidepressant. Works better that other ones that I’ve tried and were pretty new ones. Go vintage!”

READTHISPLEASE August 20, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Even though I always said I was never going to post anything on this webpages because I was "not depressive", I kinda feel that I have to give back and I really really hope that someone gets to read this and gives a try not to the pill itself, but to your own person and finally start living and not just surviving. It's not such big deal I promise, diabetics get insulin from other sources outside the body, it is kinda the same for you, you just need a little more of your serotonin an voila. My only regret is having wasted and missed on so many things because of my pride against anti depressants and self-pity attitude . Hang in there, you got this. > ONE YEAR AGO I WAS YOU READING THIS COMMENTS THINKING IT WOULD NEVER GET BETTER. WELL IT GOT PRETTY DAMN BETTER. (: God bless whoever is reading this.”

Dawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I am 34 and I have experienced severe anxiety and depression since I was about 12 years old. I started off with Prozac 10mg for the first 6 weeks and then went up to 20mg. I've been on it for a little over 2 months now and I feel amazing. I'm sleeping better, not emotional eating. I'm happier, I haven't cried except tears of joy bc of how ALIVE I finally feel again. I feel like for the longest time I've been in this dark hole just seeing the sun occasionally but now I can feel the warmth of the sun kissing my skin. I smile when I see the sun. I smile when I feel the rain or a breeze. The little things that matter most. I feel everything again. I'm also doing things I use to love, that I eventually stopped doing when I was in my dark place. My kids are happy to have their mom back! I highly recommend this. Prozac saved my life”

Anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “this drug was a game changer........ after 2 weeks , significant improvement in mood and general feeling of starting to get back up. By week 6 , back on form, back at work. 3 years I have been on it and don’t intend coming off it. Have stuck at 20mg and never felt as calm and content. Side effects, none , benefits a new life”

OCD December 31, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Man, what I journey I went on with medicines before Prozac :/ . Before I was on Seroquel XR & that was terrible bc that made me feel so strange all the time. I finally got off of that & tried Prozac because I’ve always dealt with OCD & Intrusive thoughts. I cannot express how true every review is about the first couple weeks, 3-4 you won’t feel anything really, honesty my anxiety was a little stronger, but trust me when I tell you it is all well worth it. I honestly feel amazing now, I can just think better & more clearly & now I understand my intrusive thoughts are only thoughts, they aren’t my actions. Man I used to fight with my thoughts all the time & ask why did I think that, why did I think this, now I understand so much more about myself & who I am & who I want to be. I was running out of hope bc I just couldn’t shake my OCD tendencies & intrusive thoughts, but just give the medication time to work, your body is adjusting to it.”

Zee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I've suffered with mental health issues since I was a teenager and I am now nearly 30. I've tried different medications such as sertraline and venlafaxine and couldn't stand the side effects and gave up. This medication Prozac has been so helpful. Apart from yawning I've had no other side effects. More energy, more productive, calmer and a little more confident. I've only been on it a month and after the first week I felt so much better. Hoping it will stay like this! Bpd traits, anxiety, depression”

Reba · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After just a week on this drug Prozac, I feel so much better! I've been able to get up out of bed and start living my life again. It's been SO good. Tons of energy, so much so that I had to take it in the morning. It's improved my appetite but I don't overeat. I'm so grateful for this drug! My side effects have been super minimal. I hope it continues working as well as it has! I came here to read the comments because it's working almost too well. Heh. I hope it holds out.”

Pumpkin pies January 7, 2021

“Again another update - I’m due my 3 Month review I’m the next 2 weeks and a week ago I’d have said I need it increasing (I’m on 20mg) But this last week ITS KICKED IN! I cannot tell you the relief and elation I feel now. Life feels good again, and I don’t even have to try and make it good. It just is. Please please hang in there. If it’s unbearable then talk to your GP - you may need to change meds. But if it’s still just really horrible please wait til 12 weeks, then re-assess. The 12 weeks haven’t been terrible, each day different and varying in “bad” but honestly; I’m there now. I’m feeling good. Happy to talk to anyone that needs it x”

Lanners August 28, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I’ve only been on Prozac for two months. In that period of time I have made a drastic increase in my mood, my ability to deal with daily stresses, and my ability to cope with my long-standing trauma. I was on Prozac originally when I was in high school, and due to my mother wanting me to stop by I stopped in high school. After being on Zoloft for a few months, more like close to a year, I wasn’t feeling anything. After not being on any medicine for a while, I’ve reached out to my primary care and told them Prozac was what worked for me in the past. I have been on Prozac since then and I have nothing but positive things to say. I am 24, semi underweight. I am also dealing with a lot of parental trauma, and a great deal of issues with my work and parents. I am unsure if that last part is helping anybody but I want to be as far as possible”

Ben · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 12, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “This medication is great for people who worry excessively. It softens the blows in life. I am thankful that this medicine is available to treat depression and anxiety. I have taken 40 mg per day for years. I remember what my life was like before this drug was prescribed to me. I am much better now. If you are reluctant to try this drug, please know that it has helped many people. I hope you are one of them.”

Kim July 7, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I’m 30 & was battling clinical depression. I was initially prescribed 10 mg of Prozac 2 months ago. The first day I took it was almost like I’d taken a sleeping pill. I FINALLY could sleep, but it didn’t make me “sleepy”. I actually had way more energy. My anxiety slowly stopped. I slowly had happier thoughts. After a month my dosage was increased to 20 mg and the first week of that I actually started feeling a little depressed again, but after a week and a half my mood elevated. I started getting involved in activities again. I started hanging out with my family and friends again. I make an effort to do my hair & makeup, work out, work on goals... I’m back to me. I’m truly happy. Prozac saved my life... for real. I feel a part of this world again when at one point in time I didn’t want to be a part of this world. It works, it just takes time. You will feel like nothing is happening for a while, but one day you’ll just be happy and you’ll actually notice it.”

Aj · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Just started Prozac 20mg 2 weeks ago, I was not sleeping, not eating, crying at almost everything, little things would make me go off. Now that I’ve on it for 2 weeks my sleeping has improved, I’m eating more and leaving the house with my husband now. Although I am still irritable I feel it is getting better. The only thing I noticed is you cannot drink at all with this drug or you get yourself in this weird funk that’s hard to get out I spent 3 days in bed after a few drinks with my friends.. my fault though you really shouldn’t be drinking on any medications. Won’t be doing that again. Excited to see if Prozac can help me get to the gym again and start doing the things I enjoy.”

Gwenn · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I feared going on anti-depressants for years. Like 20 years. I did not want to be someone who had to take a pill every day. Finally, I gave in after having a break-down and I wish I could talk to the 35 year old me and say hey, dummy, you will feel like yourself again so just hush and take it! I have had an incredible experience with this drug. I've been on it for four months and feel like the Gwenn I was years ago. If you are stopping yourself from trying this medication for similar reasons, I hope you will reconsider. Initially, it was difficult as my body adjusted to the medication but I expected that as my doctor told me the first few weeks can be challenging. I almost gave up but something deep inside me told me to push through. After 3 weeks, I really felt the benefits and now that my body is used to it, I am myself again. I highly recommend.”

lighthouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2020

“I started a low dose of fluoxetine about 6 weeks ago for depression & anxiety. I had no side effects except loss of appetite (still do) and the first few weeks (3-4) were a little bit of a rollercoaster of anxiety, but I started having some good days for the first time in years and could tell my depressive lows were “losing their grip” so I stuck with it. 6 weeks in and I’m feeling so much better . . . More energy, better concentration, more motivation, less foggy, less depressed, less fatigue (I was EXTREMELY fatigued before the meds). My PMS symptoms have also lessened. Overall I feel more present in my life and I feel more like myself and more at ease. I refused to try meds for a long time. I hadn’t realized how much stigma I had unconsciously internalized. It’s not for everyone but I wish I had tried earlier. If you’re thinking about it, at least have a convo with your doctor. You don’t deserve to suffer.”

Helpyouandme May 10, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I’ve suffered from depression since a teen and now in my 30’s. I’ve taken Prozac a couple of times with success, the problem being as soon as I feel good again I feel like maybe I wasn’t bad off to begin with and stop I would think I was in a good spot. Decent marriage, good kids, great job-and I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t be happy and grateful. I got to the point where I had no feelings and wanted to hurt myself. Outside of reading-inspiring books and literally peeling myself from the bed in the darkest of moments, Prozac really helped me. It took weeks, very painful weeks. Once it kicked it I became interested in my life again. I’m in a good spot right now and I believe it’s because I listened to other success stories and kicked myself out of bed everyday regardless of how much I wanted to crawl under my covers. And I decided to take medication that did not work instantly, but eventually. I hope this helps someone to make their life better like I did.”

constance2267 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 26, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I can't say enough about how much this medicine has helped me with depression. I spent years in and out of deep depression. I was finally diagnosed with depression and post traumatic stress disorder and started Prozac at 20 mg then went up to 40mg. I knew it was helping but I didn't fully realize how much until I forgot to take it for about 5 days. Then I started to feel the hopeless feeling I get with depression and I haven't missed a dose since. I'm one of the lucky ones with no negative side effects. My libido is better than ever and I've actually lost a few pounds. I sleep great and wake up every morning feeling rested and more positive about life than I ever have before.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm an 18 year old girl who got diagnosed with depression and anxiety early this year. Started on Prozac in around July even though my mum wasn't too keen, I made my choice. Side effects were horrible let me tell you!! I was nauseous all day for a week and a half and ate a little to nothing - lost 4kgs. But after that, it was fine. And 3 months later I started feeling amazing, literally. Thinking about how depressed I was made me feel sick to my stomach, shows how much I have achieved happiness. I now don't feel so low, and it's a pretty good feeling. I do wish I had tried natural methods a bit more longer but I had no time to waste being depressed and so I don't regret taking it. It's helped me quite a lot, but hey it works different for everyone :)”

Gina · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “My 16 year old daughter became extremely anxious over the summer. She received counseling and continued getting more anxious and depressed and then she didn’t want to live anymore. This was a complete change from her normal positive and active life. She was prescribed Lexapro which at first we thought was helping her anxiety. After a couple weeks it made her extremely depressed and incredibly sleepy. Her psychiatrist changed her medication to 40 mg of Prozac and within 5 days, we saw a huge change in her mood. She’s got energy and is active once again. She feels happy and is talkative and zany like she used to be. We still have a long way to go with therapy and dealing with life’s anxiety but she is now able to function and has hope. I want to encourage anyone who feels defeated. Hold on, be patient and keep trying different medications. Also, we were looking into TMS therapy which is another encouraging therapy to help mental illness.”

Jen · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I avoided going on medication for far too long and now that I've been on Prozac for 8 weeks, I am amazed at the wonderful changes it has brought to my life. My depression is pretty much gone and I feel so much more even-keeled. So thankful I finally chose better living through chemistry. I'm 57 - should have done this 25 years ago. :)”

Liam July 15, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After a few months on Prozac, I no longer the depressed version of myself that I was before Prozac. Happiness was something I rarely felt, and now feel daily - and I was never excited by anything ever, and now am so positive and excited for my future plans and goals! I do feel almost ‘cured’ of major depression. The first couple of weeks were a struggle, and I did feel worse before I felt better - I felt more dark and depressed than I ever have - so it’s very important you have a plan in place if this does happen, a friend/counsellor/doctor you can talk to for example. I then felt very numbed out and had very low libido, which lasted a couple weeks but did also stop for me. My libido is still less than it used to be now, but for me it’s not an issue as I was annoyed with how high it was before. Side-effects included, Prozac has been life-changing for me and I am now excited to move country and start a new job, something I was absolutely terrified about before. I wish I’d tried it years ago!”

90 mg · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2021

“I find it so misleading when people urge complete strangers not to take a prescription. Firstly, every individual is a different person. Our bodies are created in our own unique ways. This includes reactions to drugs. I won’t urge anyone reading this to either take Prozac or to stay away. This bulletin is to share experiences, not to scare others. Personally, I started out on a low dose. Over the course of 12 months, my doctor got me up to 90 mg a day. During our visits, she would ask me how my depression is doing, cry spells, panic attacks, and sleep. Without me really noticing, my body recovered and rose to the surface of the black hole I fell into. For me, Prozac worked so seamlessly. Day by day, without any side effects, it truly changed my mental health. I believe in prescriptions. As I mentioned, we are all different people. For me, I’m a depressed individual who can’t sleep well, and to top it off have crippling anxiety. Now I’m different”

13Apples · Taken for 10 years or more November 20, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I was started on this medication at a very low dose in college...I suffer from depression & anxiety; after a few weeks the depression started to slowly go away-minimal side effects mainly less energy. I have been on and off it/trying other options since then & nothing has helped as much. Zoloft & Paxil did not have an impact. I stopped taking it after feeling better for a long time but my depression came back and was much worse, now finally getting it under control. I personally don't like taking any medicine but this one has helped me a great deal-the side effects (especially being really tired) at least for me went away after the first month. I hope if you are reading this, with medicine or not you are well and taking the best care of yourself possible =)”

Pumpkin pies December 21, 2020

“I just wanted to update as I left a review at 4 days into fluoxetine. Anyone that’s struggling - please hang on in there. It’s a bumpy road to recovery even on antidepressants but my god my life is getting so much clearer and better by the day. Be patient, and kind to yourself. You HAVE GOT THIS. It’s hard, so hard but you will will will get better. Lots of love x”

Miracle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 10, 2020

“I have been taking fluoxetine for about 7 months now I take it to control my negative dark thoughts and suicidal thoughts since I've been taking it I feel a sense of happiness and calmer it is good at treating depression and anxiety disorders I would highly recommend to anyone its made me feel normal again. I have no side effects at all”

Gillie · Taken for 10 years or more July 2, 2020

“I am a two tour Navy veteran of the Vietnam conflict diagnosed through the Veterans Administration with PTSD. I was prescribed fluoxetine to treat all my symptoms but targeted anxiety and depression. My initial dosage was set at 60mg daily. The initial dose flattened my emotional reaction to life. No lows but also no highs. My nephew died and was honored with a memorial service. I felt nothing although mentally I knew I had loved him dearly and cared about him a great deal. The fluoxetine was working too well. I adjusted my dosage myself to 40mg per day and within weeks I felt more human and had a greater sense of emotions. On the upside I have had fewer war related nightmares and have been more calm and rational. I would encourage a person with neurological trauma such as myself to work with doctor and try this medication. I have suffered no physical side effects from its use.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm on 80mg of prozac and it has been a lifesaver for me. I went off at one time but my depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance..I just started taking it again last week at the 80mg dose and I already am starting to feel like myself. The only side effect I don't like is the heartburn so you have to drink a big glass of water when you take it, otherwise you feel like your esophagus is on fire. I've had no other negative side effects. It also helped me quit smoking and my craving for sweets. I'm sticking to this med forever..”