User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Some useful advice .-. TIMELINE Started 5mgs felt slightly high just a little more positive took 5 mgs for 9 days then had major crash lasted about 5 days + 2 days to level out Valium is very handy just hang in there it will pass & get better Day 13/14 started feeling much better now on 10 mgs @day 16 really good now. Initial day 9 crash as autoreceptors sense too much serotonin and move to regulate levels so they drop making you feel like the world is coming to an end once they desensitize things improve. Tips stay calm relax talk to people take Valium sleep eat carbs distract your thoughts walk if up to it. Do not read reviews will do your head in- too many depressed people+reviews= many negative useless reviews :-)"

camarchie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Love love love it! Got my life back after 5 years of depression. I feel like myself again."

Swedishgirl July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had zero effect except impotence. This drug is over rated."

Ziggyman (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Prozac over many years. It has helped me with major depression, social anxiety, eating disorder... I would not want to live without it ever again."

cheesecakebinge (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have limited history with psych meds & I haven only tried two other antidepressants (Zoloft and Remeron). Both were awful for me. Side effects outweighed any minimal benefit they may have had. But since taking Prozac, nearly two weeks ago, my mood has changed entirely. I take it in the morning and it gives me a sense of purpose and excitement to experience the day. Before, I was having panic attacks so bad before work I would consider calling in. Prozac has not had any negative SSRI side effects like I had with sertraline, but I am going to continue paying attention to how I feel over time on this. My anxiety is minimal and melatonin currently has me sleeping like a baby. I hope it never stops working for me. For now, this medicine is great."

Klee9983529443 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on Prozac for a month now. I was hesitant because I have tried antidepressants in the past and they did not agree with me. I am shocked at how I am feeling. I am calm. My social anxiety (that I thought was more of a personality trait) is gone. I feel compelled to take care of myself. I have energy. I am happy. Like many, I had a paralyzing fear of June bugs. I stupidly left my outside light on the other evening and came home to their swarm. I unlocked the door and even swatted one away from my ear and walked in the house. My heart rate didn't even increase. I am a whole new person."

courtsaloo June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works for me and no more panic attacks and illogical negative/automatic thoughts. I can 'manage' my depression which I guess is for life but I'm philosophical about it as I was a mess before Fluoxetine. However - I got cocky a few months back and stopped my 20mg daily dosage.Felt fine (for a while) then it came back and bit me in the ass with panicky rushes and illogical negativity (which thankfully I now recognize as part of the symptoms) Been taking it again for over a month and feeling awful right now and in a few weeks I'm hoping for stability to return."

BB McGraw June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "The last medication I was on for depression completely numbed me out to the point where I had no emotions. With this medication, I am able to be happy and sad but it doesn’t work too well to keep away the suicidal thoughts. (I am on 20mg) I wish this medication was able to make me feel happier and not constantly be fighting between happy and sad."

Devy Grace June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped with depressive thoughts and episodes quite a bit, I was in a toxic environment at work and home, which were one in the same. Started at 10mg for 4 weeks, which helped a little with my symptoms of 'negative meditation' where I could only think of mistakes I made and how I couldn't concentrate at work. Went from functioning 30% to 70%. Increased to 20mg even though I hesitated because I was experiencing some unpleasant side effects. They indeed worsened on 20mg to my un-surprise. I had low sex drive before because of the depression, but my desire is gone now because of the medication. Starting to feel numb, and there's something inside me that won't relax. I quit my job and moved, too. Still have some anxiety."

Flooz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take Cipralex for my anxiety/depression and have recently switched to this as the Cipralex did not work for me. Fluoxetine has helped me with both depression and anxiety, in a big way. I still struggle with some depressive symptoms, but they're manageable, and I'm able to recognize anxiety for what it is, rather than letting it cycle into so much negative self-talk that it contributes even more to depressive symptoms. Overall, I've had a great experience with this drug, but recommend careful monitoring for any medication switch. Hang in there!"

anon87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "6 months ago, I was hospitalized. I had never been treated for my depression due to insurance and financial issues. During my 9 day stay at the hospital, they started me on 20mg of Prozac. By the time I left the hospital, I was at 40mg. The suicidal thoughts went away and I was able to feel moments of clarity. Although, I made some big life changes after being released from the hospital, the depression was still there. Sleep and isolation was still my life. Now that I have been on Prozac for 6 months, I look back and realize how far I have come. I am now taking 80 mg a day and I can finally break through the fog. For me, depression wasn't necessarily sadness, but an absence in vitality. Prozac has helped me regain it."

Ramakin May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this drug after going to my GP after months of feeling like I was the only person in the world feeling this way thinking I wasn't normal and that I couldn't tell anyone about how I felt. I felt depressed, anxious and after taking this for about 7 weeks I started to feel so much better like my old self again and then I thought I was fine and I stopped taking it but now I am back to being very anxious and uneasy about everything so I am starting them again I would not recommended you stop taking these pills even if you feel you are ready. Always talk to a GP first if you think it's time to stop. I 100% recommend anyone who feels like they need help to get better to try these out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed 2-3 weeks ago...was so happy to finally have something I thought would help prescribed to me. I tried it for two days...felt my depression/scary scenarios get worse, so I stopped. Depression was still there but not as bad as it is when I am on the pill. I took it again to see if it will finally work this time...it's my 3rd day, still feeling worse but I'm trying to wait for it to work because I've read it works after 2-3 weeks. So I hope it helps... :/"

MissLR April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Young male early 20s. I suffer from major depression as well as anxiety. I tried 20mg Prozac only because it supposedly gives people more energy. The first 1-2 weeks I experienced side effects such as extreme fatigue and increased anxiety. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel better, however, it worked until it seemed to stop after about a month. It still helped relieve my symptoms slightly, but I had returning feelings of fear, panic, negativity etc and never felt more energized. I stopped taking it and after 3 days immediately felt much better. I ended up switching back to 10mg Lexapro because it worked great for me. Prozac helped somewhat, but for those who struggle mostly with depression/anxiety, I'd try more selective SSRIs personally."

RainyDay423 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I used prozac in the past for 3-9 months twice and had no side effects apart from some headache for a few weeks. Now I have been on it again for 3 weeks and this time I am suffering SEVERE side effects. Physical ones include heavy fogginess/head pressure, sleeplessness, muscle tension, blurred vision and loss of appetite and weight loss. Mentally I have also worsened. Anxiety is really high, especially in the mornings, feelings of hopelessness an inability to cope with life, suicidal thoughts (that I never really had before), inability to focus/read and feel motivated. Now at 3 weeks I have some moments in the afternoon of feeling calmer but it is rather unpleasant numbness. I hope it improves going forward, but it has been very tough."

lulondon (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am a different person when I'm on this, and in a good way. It helps me keep stable. The first time I was on it, I got really sick and felt terrible. I tried it again on a lower dose and built my way up and now I'm doing well on it!"

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "after about 3 weeks on prozac, or as I like to call it CRAPZAC. I was more depressed than ever before. Before crapzac I had only considered suicide a few times, But after my 4th week I actually attempted it. Thankfully my sister found me and brought me to the hospital, where they asked if i had been on any medication, and ordered me to stop taking it. And I was trapped at the hospital in the psych ward for 9 days, having 2 sessions with the counsellor every day, strapped down to my bed for the first few days, and not allowed to use the bathroom for 2 days, this stuff made my life into a living hell. After being released, I have now started seeing a therapist and now I've been practicing yoga and meditation, with no meds, and I feel great"

sallygally (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from major depression/anxiety. I would cry, panic, and feel negative about everything. I tried Lexapro in my teens and it worked great for me. However, when it returned years later my doc suggested 20mg Prozac as it would be more "energizing". The first 2-3 weeks were unpleasant side effects such as fatigue, increased anxiety, and insomnia. After the 3rd week up until the 5th week I did gradually feel better, I didn't cry or really feel depressed anymore. However, at the 6th week it seemed to stop working, I began to feel more anxious than depressed again, and felt very uneasy all the time, plus I experienced digestive issues. Also, I feel no more energized whatsoever. Prozac helped me somewhat, but it didn't really do it for me."

Dorfman (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It has really helped my depression. I used to cry a lot, not want to do anything. I'm much calmer about stressful things & less irritable. I thank God for this medication & the who started me on my meds!"

Jensue February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Admittedly, when I started Prozac and up until I stopped taking it, I was not very honest with my therapist on my emotional state, so I never changed medication despite it's lack of effect on me. I was taking it to help with my depression and anxiety, and it didn't help with either. It didn't have any negative effects on me, but it didn't have any positive effects either. I had started at 10 mg, went up to 20 mg, and finally 40 mg. For each one, it seemed to help at first but wouldn't after around two weeks. Although it wasn't right for me, I know that it's been quite helpful to friends of mine and it wouldn't hurt to try it out yourself."

Anonnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can't remember the exact dose but it was low. It Caused insomnia (4 hours sleep a night), feelings of giddiness and weight loss (14lb/1 stone) which was a positive for me. Because of the insomnia I came off it and was put on 25g Amitriptyline. With this medication I have 9 - 10 hours sleep, dry mouth and a HUGE increase in appetite for sugar and carbs. But my depression seems to be a bit elevated."

NoNameGirl (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first 4 weeks on Prozac were awful. I had zero appetite, vivid nightmares, horrible night sweats, and a very short temper. But all of a sudden when week 6 rolled around, I felt like a new person! I was the "old me" again. It felt amazing to hear my family tell me they could notice the change in me. I'm a much more productive person now! I'm thriving at work, and I'm so thankful I found this drug."

Carmen S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017