User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Depression

Also known as: Prozac, Sarafem Selfemra

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Rana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “At the first I feel ok but after 6months I gained 20 Kgs !!! And I quit Prozac after 6 months and it was the best decision but I cannot get rid of the weight I had gained it affects my metabolic rate so bad !!! Now I have depression of being fat ! Don’t use it”

Lambey · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

“I'm on fluoxetine 20 mg a day for a year and no change in my depression. My dose went up to 40 mg and I noticed a world of difference”

Jim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

“Having tried Sertraline and Citalopram, I found Fluoxetine to be incredibly effective at treating my depression. Fluoxetine is very strong and does have some side effects which I dislike. It can make sex very unenjoyable, reducing libido/sex-drive and making it difficult to climax. I can deal with these side-effects as Fluoxetine has returned the joy to life.”

KermitZo1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “The first couple of weeks on Prozac went well, I felt happier than before. But after that it feels like the medication makes me more depressed than normal. Overall it’s an okay medication”

Marla · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “This is great! I have been depressed since my divorce and have tried other antidepressants. This really works. Prozac even gives me energy in the morning! The only problem is that it gives me anxiety so maybe it’s good to get you out of the depression or maybe I need a lower dose.”

merry · Taken for 10 years or more May 25, 2020

“Fluoxetine is a best medicine. It changes my life by producing good and relax feeling. I was suffering for seven years...my feeling toward people were just hating them due to my past grievances which I suffered from people”

Miracle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 10, 2020

“I have been taking fluoxetine for about 7 months now I take it to control my negative dark thoughts and suicidal thoughts since I've been taking it I feel a sense of happiness and calmer it is good at treating depression and anxiety disorders I would highly recommend to anyone its made me feel normal again. I have no side effects at all”

turog May 4, 2020

“Causes severe sexual dysfunction. Should be illegal.”

Anonymous April 7, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I take Prozac because I have stomach issues of nausea. I have been on 40 mg for sometime now. I really do remember having many side effects except that it made me tired. It is suppose to be a happy pill. I will go off of it for a week or two and I do not notice of my being unhappy or being happy when I go back on it. When I go off it because i am too lazy to get it filled, after about a week or two, i feel like i am coming down with the flu, i.e., body aches....even to my fingers, shoulders....all over. As far as making one tired, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and need a lot of sleep and still feel like I need more. I just zonk out. So I did not notice any ill effects in taking this drug.”

HkyLvr · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

“I have been on fluoxetine for approx. 1 month. I started with 10mg for the first 7 days, and then upped my dosage to 20mg. Initially, I was dealing with some side effects, such as light headaches, and on 20mg, I tended to yawn... a lot. But with all of that said, it has been a god send. Generally, my depression fears its head by way of angry outburst, but I haven’t had an outburst at all since starting these meds (and believe me, I’ve been tested & tried - lol). Over all, fluoxetine seems to be a VERY good option for my depression and anxiety, I am so grateful to have found it and I hope you have the same experience, should you decide to start it.”

hi · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 7, 2020

“My first month and a half on it, I felt like a total zombie. Over the next course of year, I have been feeling the best I have in a long long time. Only problem is that recently I had a high dose, and now while I am still happy, I have very intense really dark thoughts, even though I'm not depressed. It is confusing and I'm going to go see my doctor about it.”

Nickname · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I was told on Prozac I would start to feel better about my depression after 1 to 2 weeks. During the first and second week, I felt really good. But after the third week, I was worse than before I started Prozac. I started self harming, and my relationships (especially with my boyfriend and family) suffered”

Reba · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After just a week on this drug Prozac, I feel so much better! I've been able to get up out of bed and start living my life again. It's been SO good. Tons of energy, so much so that I had to take it in the morning. It's improved my appetite but I don't overeat. I'm so grateful for this drug! My side effects have been super minimal. I hope it continues working as well as it has! I came here to read the comments because it's working almost too well. Heh. I hope it holds out.”

G.Lairner · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I was on 10mg prozac an it was horrible ,the intensity was life caused me shivering, fever, serious anxiety, heart pounding, mental concerns on racing thoughts. I literally felt as though I was going to have a heart attack.now I am off it on Cymbalta.”

GL · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 11, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “This is a horrible drug..my advice is to keep your options open to others before this, let this be your last resort..”

Lucy · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“Prozac worked well for me but after using it for 2 weeks I broke out all over my body in all sorts of welts and rashes and I had to discontinue it.”

Elf · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

“Horrible,I don’t recommend at all.”

don’t take · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Went on Prozac for anxiety. I horrible side effects, couldn’t eat I was so nauseous, headachy, tired. It wasn’t doing much for me so I missed a day or two, then would take one, and that was a big mistake. It completely sent me down hill. Out of absolutely no where I was crying every second of the day, having suicidal thoughts. It took 2 weeks to be somewhat back to normal but after that I never got any better. Prozac made me feel suicidal and gave me depression that I didn’t have before. 2 months off of it, I still feel the same. It seriously messed up my head. My brother took it and also became suicidal out of nowhere. DO NOT TAKE”

Sooraj February 8, 2020

“I had severe depression with suicidal thoughts. I had consulted a psychiatrist she prescribed me prozac. I have been on prozac 2 months. Now I feel much better.”

Clare · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm somewhat new to prozac. I've been on it for about 4 months, started at 10mg dose and it did nothing for me went to 20mg and it was exactly the same as 10mg, did nothing. I was recently moved up to 40mg dose and it's made me severely depressed and its brought back my anxiety but 10 times worse. I've recently started starving myself which I'm thinking I'm starting to get some sort of eating disorder. I'm also getting very bad self harm cravings (more than usual) I've acted on those cravings and I'm honestly thinking this is just mucking up my life more. ”

sethlutz · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2020

“I was on fluoxetine for about a year. Little to no side effects at all which was great. I feel like it worked for a couple of months but soon became more of a maintenance medication, even while I was continuing to have new depressive episodes.”

fidomaisy · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“My invasive persistent suicidal thoughts started going away after a week on fluoxetine and am noticing significant improvements in my ability to function. I wish I would have tried antidepressants sooner. I am on 10 mg and not having anymore panic attacks. I feel stable. For the first time in a long time I feel neutral. I cannot believe this actually works. Even my husband and family have noticed the difference.”

Naners · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I’ve been on Prozac for 5 months. Started with 20 MG, 40 MG, and currently on 60 MG. I’ve had severe anxiety and a depressive episode during my pregnancy. I had my son in December. I thought I would feel better once I wasn’t pregnant anymore. I still feel anxious, and depressed, but Prozac has caused me to feel numb. I can’t feel happiness or excitement. Still I get mini panic attacks, and everyday I feel like I am breathless. Physically I get nauseous, dizzy, and at times I feel weak. I want to get off the medication to see if I can feel normal again. It’s been months that I have been living in this nightmare the not sure If it’s the medication or just me. I want my life back.”

Uselessna · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Ok so I have depression and anxiety and every other mental illness you can think of. I just started using this drug Prozac. I don't know how to explain it. I feel great. But I also want to hurt myself. I feel less depressed but I still want to hurt myself. Sometimes I feel like I am superhuman and then going through a mania phase. I don't know if it is the drug or me.”

Ngu January 27, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Anyone gain weight from taking Prozac after long run? I dare not start Prozac after reading from internet that Prozac likely to gain weight after 6 months of taking it. Is it true? Can someone share their experience with me?”