User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 843 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Depression: "It's only day 3 on Prozac for severe depression and anxiety. First day, I was only tired and couldn't think straight (had trouble finding the right words) but my family helped by laughing it off and going along with me when I'd use the wrong word. Day 2, tired, nauseous and foggy. It feels like I'm not in my skin, but watching life as a movie. Today is day 3 and while I haven't cried today, I'm just exhausted, sad and not hungry. I pray this gets better after a couple of weeks. It's strange because even though I'm exhausted, it's hard to sleep at times. I'm hopeful this will work. I'll try to come give updates."

mzcat May 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've been on 10mg fluoxetine for just over one week - I did take it for a few days a little while ago, it made my IBS worse, so I stopped. My doctor persuaded me to give it another go. I know it's early days, but so far it's all bad! Before I was tired, unmotivated, no concentration, barely able to wash or do the simplest things. Now - I'm like the walking dead! Even more tired, even less motivation, brain fog - you name it. And possibly more depressed! I also had terrible joint pains - I have arthritis anyway! The joint pains seem to be lessening, the others aren't- so far! I just hope it's a case of getting worse before it gets better, cos atm it's almost unbearable!"

OldCrone (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was depressed since I could remember, always low energy and just wanting something to kill me didn't matter, but Prozac helps me a lot. I still have my bad days but they aren't as severe of frequent. Thanks Prozac!"

DragonsSong (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

For Bulimia: "Have only been taking 20 mg daily for two weeks and have not had the urge to binge/purge once. If you are bulimic SAVE YOUR LIFE and get on this medicine."

Collegestudent101 May 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Given my experience on this medication, I should probably give it a "1", but I'm going to give it a 4 because of my initial response to it. I've had depression for 20 years, and the symptoms have never remitted, which eventually lead to my choice to seek hospitalization last year. However, a week after I went on this medication, my symptoms were completely gone. All of the cognitive, impulse control and executive functioning deficits related to my partially remitted depression disappeared. HOWEVER....the medication made me manic in about a month. I started experiencing paranoid delusions and had to admit myself to the hospital again. I'm heartbroken that it didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for others."

Lucy33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

For Bulimia: "This med is MAGICAL. I've expirienced really bad relationship with food and my body. Since I was 18 I used to gain weight and was trying to drop it sometimes with laxatives, sometimes with really awful diets that made me binge overeating all the time. I went to gym, working hard but then coming home and eat everything that I could find, even food that I dont really like, I was crying telling myself that tomorrow I'll change my live. It has been like that FOR YEARS. I hated myself, lost all my friends, never could build a relationship with men who loved me (I didn't believe that somebody can love me). Now (on 20 mg Prozac) I am happy, drop all the weight that I gained, I love a man who loves me and really enjoy my life. Give it a chance!XOXO"

Emi90 May 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started taking Prozac since I began my hospitalization at a mental facility in March. I am on Prozac for approximately 1 month now. The first week was still awful for me, but Prozac did make me feel better. The following two weeks I began to feel progressively "happier", and I started participating in activities more. Lots of people commented on how I became more bubbly after my hospitalization. However, I am beginning to feel down again recently. Hopefully my psychiatrist can figure something out."

Lolip585 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "At 27 my ovaries were removed which sent me into abrupt and severe menopause. For 9 years I suffered debilitating hot flashes and not even the hormones seemed to work. Few doctors were comfortable prescribing them anyway, I often had to beg for my medication. About two weeks ago I began taking Prozac, and noticed almost immediately my flashes were less frequent, less intense, and less in duration. Last night I covered up in bed and waited purposefully for the flash. All I felt was a warming and never even broke a sweat. Usually I get so hot my skin feels like it's being pricked because my capillaries are bursting. The flashes are gone. After a decade of suffering I'm finally free. I wish a doctor would have told me this information before."

happy lady 2016 May 7, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "This medication coupled with cognitive behavioural therapy has helped me so much in dealing with my social anxiety/panic disorder which I have had to deal with for over 10 years. By lifting my mood and clearing my head this medication had allowed me to think more clearly and rationally about what it is I'm panicking about, then using my cognative behavioural therapy techniques I am them able to calm myself down and talk myself out of that horrible feeling (hyperventilating/pounding heart/light headedness). I had previously used propanolol to calm me down when I felt stressed but as this is no longer working I had to try something else. I was put on 20mg, 1st two weeks I had a bit of sickness, trouble sleeping but that passed."

Pais (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I went on Prozac several months ago after having been severely depressed for over a year straight (with a few days here and there of hypomania). It's made a huge difference! I'm only on 20 milligrams but I am a lot less depressed and more productive than I was. The only downside is that I am still having some bad mood swings, but overall it has helped my depression a lot."

InvisibleCreeper (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was put on prozac 5 years ago to help with severe premenapausal symtoms (ie: anxiety, night sweats, Hot flashes, depression, lack of concentration, ).I was amazed how good it felt and how much it helped with all these symptoms. The extra bonus was I was much happier, relaxed and more social than I had been ever before. The serotonin was a miracle drug. I take 20 mg 3 times a day and if I miss more than 4 days all my symtoms as well as depression kick in. I'm 51 and it's been a life savor for me."

Etphonehome777 May 4, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've only just started taking fluoxetine but I wanted to comment that I have no side effects. I have tried Zoloft and with those side effects I thought I was going to die. I was so scared to try something new but no side effects for me."

Greenaspen22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have had depression and anxiety for several years, and have been on many anti-depressants and none have been as effective as Prozac has been for me. I was previously on Celexa and although it did help my depression it also made me gain a lot of weight. Since being ok Prozac though my appetite has went down tremendously and I feel amazing. I have never been this happy even before depression hit me."

Emmetilee May 1, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I knew years ago when I started on fluoxetine for depression and anxiety how it helped my hot flushes (as we in NZ call them) not only that but it helped by fibromyalgia. So it killed not two birds with one stone but 3. I tried to come off the drug last year by weaning myself for 8 months. Wasn't successful so went back on them. More so just recently I was given Lovan at the chemist and never thought much of it being another generic of Prozac. But, I started to go down hill, with anxiety, sore bones, headaches and worse of all hot flushes. Finally I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the Lovan. So now I'm back on fluoxetine. So being Generic doesn't mean the same for everybody! This should be publised more for all."

kiwikazza (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2016

For Depression: "one of the worst medication ever causes nightmare and makes u depressed and panicky"

Thol April 29, 2016

For Depression: "very helpful"

cacamph April 27, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "The best thing that has happened to me in a long time. I'm only on my second month but my PMDD symptoms have already reduced and the anxiety that I had throughout the rest of the month is pretty much gone!I feel like myself again and can't believe how much brighter everything seems. Did get flu symptoms at the beginning, dry mouth and awful nightmares but after a couple of weeks they all disappeared, I'm on 20mg."

Abigail87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed 10mg of this medication for the first month and felt okay, but I still had my bad days. On my 6th week, my doc upped my prescription to 20 mg, and in the week I was on that dosage, my anxiety was through the roof. I went back to my doctor with my symptoms and he put me back down to 10mg with the intent of weening me off of it. Plus, this makes you kind of emotionless, like a zombie. Even on my good days where I wasn't anxious, I just didn't have the motivation to do anything. I really don't recommend this to anyone. But if it helps you, that's good."

CJBrill (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Only last few months been on fluoxetine and started on 20mg and then increased to 40mg a life saver. Tried citalopram before and this made me feel heavy headed and a little lack of energy. Got my life back and think I did the right thing and wont be coming off this for a while. People say if you break your leg or your body needs a operation you would go for it. If you need to take a SSR for a while, do it to get your life back on a even keel."

purplebluebell (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was put on Fluoxetine 40mg daily due to a particularly bad bout of depression that left me unable to work or even get out of bed. That was over a year ago and it was a GODSEND. I started on 10mg and increased to 40 within a month, close to no side effects (some stomach pain), and the relief of my depression happened within the first week. After a month and a half on it I was feeling great and alive again! It was amazing! After 8 months on the medication, I decided to wean off. That went well, however anxiety started building up again. I believe my condition has now changed. I was put back on Fluoxetine 40mg but felt no relief of my anxiety whatsoever and had to add Ativan to my regimen. I am now exploring other options but it was great!"

Mynt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I am not a big user of pills, but I was happily surprised how well this med works. I take it 10 days prior to my period and it makes a huge difference. I started taking this at age 42 and 2 years later I am still amazed. If you are struggling with pmdd, talk to your doctor and see if this will work for you."

Oil lady (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been off and on the prozac for over a year now. Keep reading stuff on the internet about its side effects, then flush them down the drain. But then I get back on the medicine. I can say that I feel its effects after just one dose, it feels like a pretty strong drug and I'm only on 10mg. Don't drink too much caffeine on prozac! I've had the worst anxiety attacks if I drink an energy drink after taking my dose of prozac. It does help me get stuff done and stay motivated and I guess it helps with general anxiety as well. It does kind of make me impulsive though but I'm learning to make better decisions while on the medicine. I think it helps over all and I will continue to stay on it for the foreseeable future."

greenberg333 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medication has literally saved my life!! I was severely depressed and had horrible anxiety and almost committed suicide. The first week on this drug was awful and I was very sick....then a miracle happened. After only a couple of weeks I suddenly realised that I felt 'normal', my thoughts were clear and organised, I was able to laugh, focus, I didn't feel like crying anymore, my fun-loving personality was shining through once more and I became a better version of me. Everyone has noticed and commented, I am now a great person to be around. I am able to work and eat and sleep and function like a normal young woman and it's all thanks to this amazing drug. It really has given me my life back."

Leesa87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've been on Prozac 20mg for two and a half weeks. I'm still hiding under the duvet. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety. Can anyone tell me how much longer I've got to wait to feel well again."

bedridden (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I avoided taking these drugs for 7 months. I really hoped I could fix my anxiety and constant stress by myself, I tried everything from herbal relaxation tea to meditation and talking to the best psychologist. I wish I had tried prozac (20mg) earlier, because it has helped me get rid of the anxiety. I feel energetic and happy again. I didnt gain any weight just felt a little nauseous in the first week."

Roza889 April 17, 2016