User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder

2.7

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.5 1,059 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Panic Disorder: "I have always had issues with anxiety, mild panic, and OCD, but it was manageable. I developed panic disorder in the fall and become reclusive and a hypochondriac because of the panic attacks. After a litany of tests that came back normal and time with physical and mental therapists (which both helped but did not completely cure the attacks), I caved and started fluoxetine 10mg. The first few weeks I was jittery, but that is the only side effect, and it went away. My panic subsided days in. I've been on it for 2.5 months now and have been panic free for the last month. I've also noticed a reduction in the amount of headaches I get​. I was TERRIFIED to give this drug a chance, but glad I did. I finally have my life back!"

elizabeth1516 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Omg I'm glad I stuck to this medication..words can't describe how much better I feel after 3 weeks of takin it..I had boost my self up to 40mg and I will be honest and let my doctor know. NowI feel so levelled, clear minded and naturally happy. I feel like myself. I even have more energy . I take Gabapentin 3 times a day, prozac soon as I wake up and seroquel for sleep. If you are really mentally ill prozac is the PERFECT medicine..it's a MIRACLE!"

Brin June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Works for me and no more panic attacks and illogical negative/automatic thoughts. I can 'manage' my depression which I guess is for life but I'm philosophical about it as I was a mess before Fluoxetine. However - I got cocky a few months back and stopped my 20mg daily dosage.Felt fine (for a while) then it came back and bit me in the ass with panicky rushes and illogical negativity (which thankfully I now recognize as part of the symptoms) Been taking it again for over a month and feeling awful right now and in a few weeks I'm hoping for stability to return."

BB McGraw June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "This is for the person who is nervous to start this medication. DON'T BE. I was nervous and six months later I am feeling so much better than before. I currently take 10MG of Fluoxetine (Prozac) and also 0.5MG time release Xanax XR at bed time. I believe both have kept me on a great track from having panic attacks. I was honestly in a not so good place with my panic disorder. I had tried other medicine and did not see much of a help. My psychiatrist listened to my feelings and told me to give this a shot. The first month or so I didn't really feel too much of a difference. Felt pretty ok. I added the Xanax XR. The two in combination keep me very stabilized and feeling pretty good each day. Give this medicine and shot and stick to it!"

N3052 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "The last medication I was on for depression completely numbed me out to the point where I had no emotions. With this medication, I am able to be happy and sad but it doesn’t work too well to keep away the suicidal thoughts. (I am on 20mg) I wish this medication was able to make me feel happier and not constantly be fighting between happy and sad."

Devy Grace June 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Helped with depressive thoughts and episodes quite a bit, I was in a toxic environment at work and home, which were one in the same. Started at 10mg for 4 weeks, which helped a little with my symptoms of 'negative meditation' where I could only think of mistakes I made and how I couldn't concentrate at work. Went from functioning 30% to 70%. Increased to 20mg even though I hesitated because I was experiencing some unpleasant side effects. They indeed worsened on 20mg to my un-surprise. I had low sex drive before because of the depression, but my desire is gone now because of the medication. Starting to feel numb, and there's something inside me that won't relax. I quit my job and moved, too. Still have some anxiety."

Flooz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I used to take Cipralex for my anxiety/depression and have recently switched to this as the Cipralex did not work for me. Fluoxetine has helped me with both depression and anxiety, in a big way. I still struggle with some depressive symptoms, but they're manageable, and I'm able to recognize anxiety for what it is, rather than letting it cycle into so much negative self-talk that it contributes even more to depressive symptoms. Overall, I've had a great experience with this drug, but recommend careful monitoring for any medication switch. Hang in there!"

anon87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I was diagnosed 5 years ago with General anxiety disorder and panic disorder with mild agoraphobia. For the first few months I had no idea what was going on with me except that I knew I would get completely flustered and anxious and scared when I went out to do everyday things. I began worrying all the time about silly things and couldn't seem to shut my mind off enough to sleep and relax. My doctor diagnosed me and for a while I tried seeing just a therapist but eventually my panic attacks came back stronger and I decided on medication. I have tried three other medications all of which were not successful. I am 8 days in on Prozac and the side effects have been pretty bad but I have hope. Today was much calmer for me."

Nicole_e (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I am a female, mid fifties. Major depression began in my late 20's."

Chailatte (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking fluoxetine in April for social anxiety/OCD. I was hooked on drugs for 4 years that's what caused it. I've been sober for 2 years but unfortunately my mind didn't repair itself. I felt a difference with my anxiety straight away. But it took 6 weeks for it to really start working fully . I kept thinking in that first 6 weeks that I should have kept upping the dose because at times it didn't feel like it was working. But exactly 6 weeks in. Big difference in how I was feeling . Basically no anxiety at all. Highly recommend this medication and I had hardly any side effects. I tried Zoloft years ago and the side effects were terrible. Fluoxetine is much much better. Stick with it . It's worth it"

Mad_On_Her (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "It took about a month to work, but I no longer have severe anxiety when I am trying to sleep. I don't know how I went so long without it."

Chelsiedawn89 May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Developed panic disorder with agoraphobia one year ago after a traumatic experience on a plane. I finally gave in and decided to start treatment with Prozac. I was on 20mg for 3 weeks, then upped to 40 mg. No bad side effects AT ALL. My mood and attitude have improved greatly, and my daily panic attacks have diminished. When I do feel anxious occasionally, I am able to breathe it out and calm down, instead of ending up in the ER. I am now able to leave the house and drive, shop, run errands with no panic. I am still unable to travel by plane... otherwise, 10/10! And I am only on week 5. Heard it only gets better!"

melba32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I don’t find a lot of positive stories about antidepressants, or I find stories where people are taking the antidepressant the wrong way. I wanted to share my experience. A positive one. I’ve had generalized anxiety disorder, SEVERE OCD, and panic disorder for as long as I can remember. My first memory of having an episode was when I was 4 years old at my kindergarten interview. I feel as though I was born with the illnesses mentioned above, right from the womb. When I was a child I was extremely anxious, had bad separation anxiety from my parents and had extreme OCD, I was just a kid and thought that the way I was feeling is how all kids felt, I didn’t realize that I was different. This went on, and got even worse in middle school. I began developing trichtilomania in middle school. In high school I went from being a 90% above student, to failing every class within a couple of years. I couldn’t leave the house. My panic disorder and gad caused debilitating physical symptoms. I would be shaking when I had to leave the house, I wouldn’t drink alcohol because I was afraid of vomiting, I was suffering so much, for my whole entire life with severe phobias, fears, and anxiety. I prayed and prayed and prayed to God every night for it to go away. I was a 16 year old living in a prison of her own mind. It never went away. Every single day was the worst day of my life, I would wake up and the thoughts just started, I never had a break. My life was exhausting. I am of east indian background and my parents didn’t understand mental illness well. It is very taboo in my culture. I went to tons of doctors and they told me it was just growing pains, no doctor ever told me that maybe I should see a therapist. I didn’t have any support. When I was 22 I attempted suicide. Luckily the attempt didn’t work and I was forced to go on medication. I was livid, I was so against antidepressants, I was so so so scared, it felt unnatural. My general practitioner put me on Effexor, I took it for almost 8 weeks, it helped me to not want to kill myself, but It also made me gain tons of weight which made me depressed, and it make me hear voices. One evening a voice told me to choke my mom, and I started freaking out and my parents drove me immediately to the hospital. At the hospital I talked to a psych nurse who calmed me down, and got me an appointment with a psychiatrist the next day. This appointment and this psychiatrist saved my life, and changed my entire life. I want to really mention that you should not be going to a General Practitioner for mental illness medication, you should ALWAYS…ALWAYS go to a psychiatrist no matter what. If your GP is the only person you are seeing to help you manage your meds for ocd, anxiety, etc, that is the WRONG MOVE. That is such a common mistake people are making, you NEED a psychiatrist in order to get the meds right, please do not just go to your regular doctor, you’ll be cheating yourself. I went to the psychiatrist appointment the next day. It was the first time I had ever seen a psychiatrist. I got into her room and we talked about everything, my childhood, my phobias, my ocd. She then brought my parents into the room to explain the whole situation to them and the fact that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and that I have been suffering for way too long. My parents were so supportive. The doctor told me I was on the wrong medication, that I never should have been placed on Effexor which is an SNRI, and that I should be on an SSRI considering my main problem is OCD and GAD. We talked a lot about it and she told me she would like to place me on Prozac. She said for me, because my neural pathways have been the same for 20 plus years, that I would need a higher dosage of Prozac especially for anxiety and OCD. I see on this forum, that so many people are on 20mg, or 40mg for anxiety disorders. You should be on 60mg at least, do not be afraid to go higher. People that say Prozac or an SSRI didn’t really do anything for their anxiety or ocd is because they are only taking a 20mg dose, That is not an OCD dose. 40-80mg for anxiety and OCD. Please up your dose. Use the medication, REALLY USE IT. Do not be afraid! My doctor started me on 40mg, eventually took me to 100mg, and then I went back to 80mg. Yes the side effects are insane, I was nauseated, I couldn’t sleep, I was shaking, I had anxiety, but she prescribed me Ativan and said to use it until the Prozac kicked in. That the Ativan would keep me comfortable until that happened. Don’t try to be a hero, use your Ativan or your Xanax or whatever to stay as comfortable as possible. I could write so much more, but I’ll conclude with this. 4 months after being on 80mg of Prozac everyday, I woke up one day and I was cured. Yes cured. I had no OCD, I had no anxiety, I no longer had fears or phobias. I was cured. You have no idea how that day felt. It was like the first day of my whole entire life. I woke up being the real me, who is free spirited and isn’t afraid of anything! I was finally free, I was no longer a prisoner. I didn’t even have to go to therapy. I just woke up one day a brand new person, from taking a high dose of Prozac every single day. DO NOT go off of the antidepressants. Your ocd, your anxiety, depression etc will come back. I WOULD never dream or even think to come off of my antidepressants, I have an illness, that will return if I go off the medication, because I have a brain disorder. OCD is a brain disorder. Do not stop taking medication for your brain disorder, do not try to fix your brain disorder with just a 20mg or 40mg dose. Own your medication, be on it for life. It’s been 5 years since I have been cured. If it wasn’t for Prozac, I would be dead. 1) You need a psychiatrist 2) Do not be afraid to take more than 40mg of Prozac to treat panic attacks etc, I am on 80mg a day and my life is a ball. It is so wonderful and so carefree. 3) Do not stop the meds. Be on the meds for life."

priya3434 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "It took a few months for it to start to settle in, I think, but total game changer. 6 months ago I was in an awful state due to undiagnosed OCD & depression. Started going to therapy and taking prozac and now it feels like I'm standing on more solid ground. I haven't felt this good in years and feel silly for my past apprehension at trying SSRIs. Only side effects I've noticed are I'm a bit sleepy throughout the day and I'm having vivid dreams most nights (never remembered my dreams before taking prozac) but no complaints about the latter. Recently bumped up to 30 mg after being on 20 for a few months to try and kick the last of the obsessive thoughts. Really couldn't recommend enough. I can only hope this keeps working."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Life changer"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "6 months ago, I was hospitalized. I had never been treated for my depression due to insurance and financial issues. During my 9 day stay at the hospital, they started me on 20mg of Prozac. By the time I left the hospital, I was at 40mg. The suicidal thoughts went away and I was able to feel moments of clarity. Although, I made some big life changes after being released from the hospital, the depression was still there. Sleep and isolation was still my life. Now that I have been on Prozac for 6 months, I look back and realize how far I have come. I am now taking 80 mg a day and I can finally break through the fog. For me, depression wasn't necessarily sadness, but an absence in vitality. Prozac has helped me regain it."

Ramakin May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I take this medicine primarily for obsessive compulsive disorder, but I also have depression and general anxiety disorder that it helps with. I took it several years ago but it pooped out on me, and my psychiatrist decided to try it again about two years ago. I worked up to 80 mgs because she said that I needed a really high dosage. I take it when I wake up in the morning and find it activating. It's so weird because I find things that I realize I do now that I would've never done before being on this medicine. It's such a good feeling each time I realize that and am reminded of how far I've come. I love this medication and really, really hope I can stay on it this time and not have it poop out on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm still trying to find a medication that works for me. But this is one that the doctor prescribed me about two years ago, and I took it for very close to a year. It did not help. They kept adding more dosage until finally I quit seeing my psychiatrist altogether and stopped taking the medication."

Alan Baker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "It works but it can be ineffective in some situations. I've used it for over a year switched from a max of 40 MG to 20 MG twice. It is not effective for me personally to take just one a day, so my doctor prescribed me to take two 20 MG pills of Prozac a day and has proven more effective. There are some things Prozac has not fixed with my obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD) even with taking 2 pills a day."

Jared T May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "14 days on 20mg. I am edgy and wobbly, no appetite, forced myself to eat, so I am eating less. Taking advantage of that because I am also a diabetic and hard to go to sleep. I am sticking with the medicine. Have some relief of bad thoughts. Hope it gets better."

6521L May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was diagnosed for OCD mixed type. My psychiatrist prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. The first 7 days were very bad. Extreme fatigue & tiredness, the typical "zombie" feeling associated with AD's. But on my 15th day the fatigue has reduced considerably & my OCD thoughts have become very easy to control. Also I can avoid my rituals now. The medication has worked for me & I think in the coming months will do me more good. I'm grateful for opting for it as I tried all the "natural" ways but with a mental illness when you don't get results you tend to get discouraged & leave the process midway. I wasn't getting better & thus finally overcame the fear of medication. Stop googling as it will only scare you & visit your doctor."

atifhussain18 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017