User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Bulimia 28 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 806 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This drug saved my life. It did not work for the first month and a half but when it did! Amazing results! No anxiety! And I suffered from panic attacks 24/7. Not saying this drug alone will fix all your problems but it helped me so so much! Gave me my excitement for life back"

Sara27373628 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2016

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I had been having anxiety and other symptoms such as weight loss. I was diagnosed with OCD and started on 10mg prozac. I battled with side effects for the first month of increased anxiety, nauseousness and sleeping problems. At about the 5 week mark the negative side effects went away and I started to feel some relief from the anxiety caused by the OCD. I was increased to 20mg which seems to be enough for me. I have now been on it for over a year. I feel so much better. Like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders and I no longer worry and obsess. I have gained some weight but the anxiety had made me lose weight so I think I am able to eat now because I feel better. I don't sweat the small stuff in life anymore!!"

OCDin PA (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started this medication because I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. I have been put on random depression meds since I was 14 years old and am now 24. I've tried lexapro, welbutrin, and a bunch of other stuff. I never really saw improvement as a teenager on these drugs, but it could have been my hormones at the time. I tried prosac at 23 years old and it seemed to make a real difference for me. I think I started to feel the difference within the first week, but that might have been a placebo affect. After at least 2-3 weeks is when I think it really started to work and I could feel a difference. My anxiety levels started to drop pretty drastically and I was no longer afraid of things like the dark."

tbud March 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Im pretty outgoing in nature...but id get depressed n aggressive from time to time. Anyway so the first 5 weeks on this med was very up and down... I slept but woke up feeling tired.. I was drowzy during the day...id feel good some days n worse on others. I was going to quit on my 6th week..I woke up n said 'I cant take this anymore' but my mom convinced me to keep taking it. It was like a miracle. .I just woke up in the morning..6th week in n felt ok one morning... energetic... happy... motivated... could phone up anyone n talk wthout feeling like it was torture.... so give it atleast 6 weeks... it should get even better than how im feeling now... tht would be amazing!"

desertflower1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "rapid developed tolerance (stop working for me after 6 months),,, other SSRI's not working,,, even prozac caused me insomnia and NO sexual drive at all ,,,, preferred amitriptyline as sedating ,less sexual side effects, anti migraine ."

Mostafa 1983 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2016

For Bulimia: "I have an 8-yr history of BN, purge type. I tried lots of antidepressants for my MDD/GAD (such as Cipralex, Effexor and Zoloft), but never anything for BN specifically. My new GP suggested I try Prozac. I started at 20 mg, went up to 40 mg, then went back down to 20 as I was running low on meds. I had some weird side effects, such as feeling very anxious and having self-harm thoughts (although not suicidal thoughts). I went to the doctor and my dose was adjusted up to 60 mg. I have now been on that dose for about 6 months and have had no relapses with BN. It's incredible, because I've failed so many times before. I still struggle with anxiety and depression, but it's great."

Lazerbeamz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have my life back now! PMDD used to make me suffer with so many symptoms and anxiety it felt like I was in a haze for many days of month and it was like clockwork each month. Now I barely notice any symptoms. It took a couple of months to see the full affect. No side effects as of yet. On 10mg daily."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety for 9 years and have tried every medication under the sun and nothing has worked until now! I feel normal, not drugged and best part is no anxiety or depression. I take 10 mgs of this with 1 milligram of Risperdal daily for bipolar disorder and I get so much accomplished its ridiculous! I'm okay with being alone, I don't feel like I need a man or a miracle anymore and my expectations are more realistic. I look forwarding to coming home which is something I used to dread as I have 3 young children, 1 with autism. Prozac makes my job as a single mother so much easier!"

Jen1981 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on prozac for a few years now. I stopped taking it in mid December just restarted today anxiety and stress are tuff to deal with let alone with out this medicine."

OAR February 22, 2016

For Depression: "After years of non-medicinal attempts to deal with my SAD, I finally decided to give it a shot as it had been really bad the last three years. My doctor put me on fluoxetine at 20 mg and then moved it up to 40 mg. On the positive side it made me less prone to angry outbursts and my lows weren't as bad. I've stopped taking it due to side effects. I had some initial insomnia but adjusted. However, a few days into 40 mg I could only manage 4 hours sleep a night. I would be restless and anxious. My mind would be racing and wouldn't relax despite the fact that the rest of my body was exhausted. I also had trouble getting and maintaining an erection. Not being able to be intimate with my wife or sleep well made me depressed, so what's the point?"

Dave6838 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started taking Prozac in 1993. I actually was suicidal and depressed in 1972, but the kind of treatment prescribed was to see a shrink, which I didn't talk to. I tried to kill myself (unsuccessfully) many times. I just didn't want to live anymore, a very terribly sad feeling of not belonging, even in family gatherings. In 1993 I started 20 mg of Prozac, first week was great...I was very energetic and I didn't feel like eating, but after that it evened out and I felt better. I then went up to 40 mg. Two years ago I started pulling my hair out. Went up to 80 mg, but was too much and my doc kept me on 60 mg. I still can't stop pulling my hair out. Does Prozac cause this OCD? I thought it was supposed to help it."

Suicidal In High School February 18, 2016

For Depression: "My period was late for 1 week, besides that it is working for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

For Depression: "I started on this drug about 3 months ago and have lost 30 pounds already. It suppresses my appetite and with the weight loss that has helped not only my diabetes but my depression and moods as well. I'm happier, more energetic and my anxiety is better."

Latina44870 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Had to switch to this after sertraline didn't work when I tried to go back on it. OCD blew up as soon as I stopped my previous SSRI and I ended up sick. Always consult your doctor and if you have severe OCD, it's an SSRI for life... Fluoxetine had the usual side effects: suicidal, anxious, worsening of depression and tiredness. Unfortunately you just have to work through this with these meds. After a few weeks I started to see some slow progress and my obsessions decreased. I was still severely depressed and I augmented this with risperidone. That too made me a bit crazy for a few days but after a couple of weeks I was able to return to work after 3 months off. These meds take time. 18 months on I'm just on fluoxetine 60mg and feel great!"

Gregocd February 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for six months. It took about 8 weeks to notice any positive mood changes. After a few weeks of starting it I began to feel like I was living in a fog and had a difficult time concentrating but that eventually went away and turned into optimism and feeling great. Please give it a couple of months to work. It takes time to kick in. After 8 weeks I felt good and happy for a while but recently have relapsed into anxiety and depression again. My MD has now upped my dosage to 40mg. I am hopeful I will get the happiness and optimism back again soon from the higher dose."

darksideofthemoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Well where do I start. I went from Sertraline to fluroxetine, as I went through an episode of depression and felt that my body may have become immune to Sertraline after been on it for 5 years. I started on 20mg. My anxiety went through the roof. But my depression improved slightly after a few months. However I became emotionally numb. (I am normally a very sensitive, caring person,) And found it even hard to cry or have empathy in my relationship. My depression increased so I was out on 40mg , and although my mood lifted, my anxiety increased and I suffered panic attacks. Since withdrawing I find I have a lot of social phobia, however it is so good to be really able to feel emotions again that have been trapped for a year and a half."

Mollymolloy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I didn't want to take hormones for hot flashes but the hot flashes were bad enough that I was going to try hormone therapy anyway. My family doctor suggested fluoxetine or Prozac for hot flashes. I had never heard of taking an antidepressant for hot flashes before so I studied before saying yes. It started working after just a few days. I have occasional hot flashes that are milder than before an way way less frequent. 20 mg is the dose that works for me. I tried reducing to 10 mg for a few months but it didn't work as well as the 20 mg. I have been on this for 16 months now. On the flip side it has also helped with some anxiety issues I didn't realize I was experiencing. : )"

radicalbuff February 12, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been taking fluoxetine 20mg for 15 days now . I suffer night anxiety attacks and panic to the point were I knew I had to do something about it as it was ruining my life. I was in a car crash which initially set off the night anxiety. The medication has helped me tremendously. I have always been very sceptical about antidepressants and felt I could manage my anxiety myself and refused medication in the past. It caused me to lose a bit of weight and heightened my anxiety for a few days and nights but it became more bearable . I do get the odd nights when I feel it creeping back but I'm able to relax and breath it away, which I could never do before - I would just have full on anxiety. So good luck to all who try this medication."

annieboo (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I am a 50 year old woman going through Pre-Menopause. Still have it but very little. I was on prozac along time ago and then went off of it because I didnt like taking pills. Just recently had to go back on.. was affecting my work life. ( not that great anyway) But I can deal with it now that I am on it. Waiting to find another Job soon. Anyway, its really making me gain weight. I was working out for a while doing pretty good. Then ( the Job took our Gym benefit away) was a perk at one time for now almost 8 years that I have worked here. Anyway, I don't feel that I over-eat. But everyone is telling me that prozac makes you gain weight. If anyone has any ideas.? I am so tired of yo you dieting. and am thinking of meal replacements now..."

dg PMDD for most of my life. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Taken for 9 days now. I take this with 1mg Ativan 2x daily as needed. First few days I was tired, had a couple weepy moments, and nausea/full feeling that made me not want to eat. Day 6 I had a bout of insomnia so I'm slowly moving the time I take my meds from the evening to afternoon, then the morning. No real insomnia since - just more of a hard time going back to sleep after waking (back to sleep within 20 mins). I've noticed I'm perkier and friendlier when I talk with people, just can feel some tiredness behind my eyes in the morning usually until the afternoon. I noticed I haven't experienced as many body aches I get from my anxiety as I have in the past. I'm hoping these are all good signs this medication is doing the trick for me."

DawnBreeze (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Fluvoxemine (Luvox) starting at age 7, took it for 3 years. I am not 24 and I have been on fluoxetine for almost 7 months,and just recently got bumped up to 40mg ( 2 weeks ago). I have such bad depression and anxiety that it barely makes a dent, but it does help with my intrusive thoughts a lot. I notice as far as side effects, all of the initial ones have gone away by about month 3. All I have left is very minor short-term memory loss, and talking in my sleep. I'm not as sleepy as I used to be either. I would recommend staying away from caffeine altogether while on fluoxetine. I wish there was another way. I spent 14 years dealing with my severe Pure-Obsessional OCD without treatment. Some of us need this medicine."

Chris DiPaolo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

For Depression: "I'd suffered from anxiety and depression for many, many years. The anxiety led to trouble sleeping, which made me depressed. I was focussing on the negatives in my life and my circle of friends was shrinking. I began to feel worthless. I am a musician but also a software engineer, a job that is secure and pays well but gives me no satisfaction. I took fluoxetine in 2004 when stress at work brought my anxiety to a head. I also used Zolpidem to sleep. I kept up this pattern for a couple of years, quitting Prozac and re-starting regularly. In October 2012 my sleep became awful and I was regularly just walking out of work because I couldn't carry on. I started Prozac again, and since then I have been on it. It has transformed my life."

Marky Wilson England February 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

For Depression: "After being suicidal for many months and self harming in addition to extreme anxiety. I had taken Prozac 6 years earlier and didn't work at all has NOW almost eliminated my depression. I feel happier than I have in years. The only downside is I have gained about 20 lbs. My lowest weight was 133, considered healthy for someone 5'7 and athletic, but despite my clean eating and exercise I've blown up to 163 lbs in 2 years and nothing seems to get the weight off. This has been my only negative side effect. I choose my mental health over my body image although I also have an eating disorder BDD."

Kim SSRI queen February 1, 2016