User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Not Listed / Other

7 reviews
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.6 1,142 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Prozac changed my life, I suffered with rapid mood changes several times a day. My relationships struggled in all parts of my life but mostly romantically. I started taking Prozac when things got really bad while I was pregnant. Almost 2 months after I started taking it a tragedy happened and I couldn't understand why I felt so peaceful and content but then I realised I wasn't feeling in such extreme ways and that I had felt the same mood for at least 3 days. I think that was the happiest realization I've ever had. I'll never forget the day."

RobynJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2017

For Hot Flashes: "I've been using fluoxetine now for 2 and a half months and it didn't work immediately. The first week it definitely reduced the flashes by about 66%. The next few weeks it gradually reduced more and more. This is where I am now..hot flushes.. about 2 very slight, I can hardly class it as a hot flush anymore. I've had about 2 night sweats in the past month. My angry moods have gone and will not be persuaded to stop taking this medication. Its a little miracle that has changed my life for the better.. yaaaaaaaayy"

Themaiden1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

For Depression: "For the first few weeks of taking it made me feel super bad my sleeping was all over the place and I actually felt very suicidal it made my anxiety crazy I couldn't go out without feeling terrible I was nervous to go out and always on edge, eventually it started getting a bit better but mostly felt down maybe 1 or 2 days of the month I'd be pretty happier than normal but then after a few months it died down and they personally didn't work at all like they just stopped showing affect so I gave up and stopped taking them and now I feel the same as I do if I was taking them these are probably 1 of the worst antidepressants I've took refuse to take them again (also made me pretty nauseous the first few weeks)"

Phoebecatlover November 16, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Used to read these over and over when I contemplating "obsessing" over whether or not to take the medication. Prozac has given me my life back. Life is no longer a struggle just to enjoy. It is not a miracle drug, you still have to put in the work, therapy really helps. But at times when I feel a wave of anxiety come over me that used to last 3-4 days/sleepless nights, I can almost feel the medication working. And next thing I know I'm 100 steps down the road from that worry. Some side effects in beginning with up dosing such as headaches and not getting full nights sleep but all have passed and I can only say the only side effect is I feel so good I forgot to take my Prozac. Get your life back and just try it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medicine does wonders. I am a 27 year old male who suffered from severe cyclical depression. This drug, (also known as fluoxetine when I get it cheaper), did wonders for my outlook and disposition of the world. It feels as if a solid barrier has been thrown up in my mind against things which would otherwise stress me out or cause depression. It also has a profound stabilizing effect in general on mood, thoughts, and feelings. I am deeply thankful for this drug. I would suggest trying it if you are reading this and suffer from these conditions."

Nephi November 14, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been taking prozac for the past 7 weeks. I have always been a worrier but it got a lot worse during 2nd semester of my first year in medical school. Despite my anxiety and depression I was always a straight A student. I had great study skills and I had great concentration. But I started fearing studying and going to classes because it usually triggers my anxiety. So I just stopped doing school work and I just slept. My parents stated getting worried and they took me to see a psychiatrist. He put me on prozac (20mg). Prozac really helped me at first. I watched movies and spent a lot of time with my siblings but my academic performance was bad. Since then it has gotten worse. Should I just withdraw? Should I give up my dream?"

tutusha November 12, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "23 y/o. I’ve experienced mild anxiety most of my life. Last year I experienced a trigger that sent me into an intense bout of anxiety which led to a really horrible depression that lasted for months accompanied by such repetitive thoughts that I thought I had OCD. I began therapy for the first time and my psychiatrist started me off with 10 mg per day, then 20. He finally increased me to 30 and let me tell you it’s changed my life! Would totally recommend. It took a few months for it to take total effect but I went from thinking I would never be normal/happy again to having my anxiety under control more so now than any other point in my life. I do have very intense, realistic, strange dreams and random muscle jerks but it’s well worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started this drug for depression and anxiety. The first 2 weeks at 10mg I actually felt fine but when my psychiatrist upped the dose to 20mg and then later to 30mg, I noticed it had intensified my anxiety, gave me suicidal thoughts, worsened my insomnia, and made my anger and moods unpredictable. I also felt like I was hallucinating all the time, I could focus on a wall and start seeing weird acid-like visuals. I never had that with any other med until I started Prozac. Doc has me trying Lexapro now, and bc I stopped taking Prozac the withdrawal has been awful. I am hoping Lexapro changes things. I took this med for 3-4 months overall."

Klee9984 November 7, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've had OCD and anxiety all my life. I'm in my 50's now, and about 8 months ago I finally sought help in the way of medication. For years I had been going to a therapist to try non-medicinal ways of managing my OCD and anxiety. It helped sometimes, but mostly day to day was exhausting at times with intrusive thoughts that led to anxiety and panic attacks. My psychologist started me on 10 mg for 2 weeks, then to 20 mg. Over time she has slowly increased me to 40 mg. I had some side effects, like tiredness, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'd say the worst side effect is with sex, but we've added Welbutrin which has helped. Doing great on 40 mg but still not at 100%. Increasing me to 50 mg in the next week."

deb12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2017

For Depression: "Being on Prozac was a nightmare experience. I have something called adjustment disorder with depressive episodes and anxiety attacks. My psychiatrist put me on 10mg to start with in conjunction with my Wellbutrin. The first week was fine and then I went up to 20mg. I started feeling restless and anxious all the time and my appetite was completely gone - I didn't want to eat at all. I had to literally force feed myself and I was losing weight rapidly. Then, over a month later, I had increasingly bad rage episodes where I would scream at people for no reason whatsoever. I yelled at a total stranger while driving and then had a panic attack . Stopped the drug and it went away."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "If you're reading this and have panic/anxiety attacks and are taking prozac, please don't quit with it. I'm on prozac 10mg for 6 weeks+ and the first few weeks were so BAD. My anxiety was worse, really bad hyperventilation attacks (almost daily), and the most two annoying things were the dizziness and the fatigue. I would feel sleepy all day while experiencing panic and anxiety. The fact that the body experiences this means that the meds were working, the symptoms of what I described got less worse by the week and at the 5 week mark I quit having panic/hyperventilation attacks. I still feel a bit of tired but I'm not even 2 months on the meds yet, don't let the early symptoms of the medication scare you."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I have taken Prozac 20 and 40mg quite a few years ago with really positive outcome, but at a point it stopped working so I went to welbutrin. recently I started to get panic again and my doctor thought adding Prozac into my daily regimen would help because it worked so well in the past. The side effects were so difficult for 3 weeks. crying, unable to eat, anxiety every minute, lost about 10 pounds which was a good side effect :). but they did subside. It seemed to be working but now some days I am having anxiety again and tremors daily. Unfortunately it isn't working this time around and will be switching off it, but I would definitely recommend it for people since it did once work wonderfully for my panic and GAD."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Took Paxil for the past 5 years for anxiety/depression/panic. Stopped it 1 year ago to pursue pregnancy. I did well for the 1st 6-8 mos but then began to fall apart. Anxiety, panic attacks, depression all returned. I was put on Prozac because it's pregnancy friendly about 1 week ago. I've had the worst reflux/heartburn I've ever had in my life. I take the pill at night because it made me sleepy the 1st day when I took it in the morning. I'm currently on day 8, the reflux is slightly better but I have increased anxiety/panic. I hadn't had this the 1st week. Does anyone have an similar stories? I appreciate feedback. I'm not sure whether to stick it out on Prozac or switch to a different med."

DippyLee (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm taking this for general anxiety disorder and major depression disorde. 20 mg. It's been a couple of months. It works great nicer and happier and I have lost 17 pounds. I have tried to get my medicine right the past year by trying everything. I was on celexa ( was on a few years gained a lot of weight and stopped working), latuda, strattera, pristiq, vyvanse I'm allergic to. The only problem is Prozac doesn't mix well with concerta that I took a long time ago, it used to work so well, now I tried it with Prozac and it's cry all day long. So going back to dr soon need to find something else to mix in with my Prozac."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication was a game-changer for me. I've suffered from anxiety/OCD/depression my whole life, and for the first time it feels like I can handle what life throws at me. My anxious/intrusive thoughts still come, but they no longer ruin days/weeks/months. I was very nervous to start this medication because of reviews about side-effects, but I honesty believe that most people who come on these sites to write reviews are the exceptions who have bad reactions. The worst side effect I had was losing a little weight, while the best thing it did for me was probably saving my life."

OCD Anxiety Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have started my journey on this medicine when I was 17, I am now 27 so it’s been officially 10 years. I started on it at a 10mg dosage and have made my way up to 20mg over the years however this medicine has really worked for me. I have had severe anxiety which began after I was a victim of abuse and soon after I started having horrible issues with my stomach which was generalized as IBS. Things got so bad that I ended up needing to take a break from college, would have to call out from work because I would get severely anxious and sick with my stomach. Since starting this medication it didn’t fix the IBS but it did help with the anxiety which makes the stomach problems much worse. It’s not a miracle drug but it has worked for me!"

Lane24 October 19, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started Prozac for severe Harm OCD and social anxiety and mood swings from age 11 until 19. Initially 20 mg kept my intrusive thoughts at bay, however My anxiety remained. Every few years following I would require an increase in medication; and with every increase I became more numb, agitated, argumentative and arrogant. I stopped caring about everything. I couldn't cry when family member died, I couldn't have crushes on girls, low sexual desire, I developed severe TMJ and was living on autopilot. This drug made me care about nothing. At age 19 I developed PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual dysfunction). It took me 6 months off medications with complete impotence to get weak sexual function back and I'm only 19. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy:("

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was going through a very deep and dark depression for several months. Prozac was the very anti-depressant to work for me. After about 2 weeks, I could tell the medication was really working. I wasn't having constant OCD related circling thoughts that made my depression worse and I wasn't on the verge of crying every second. This pill is a MIRACLE for me. No side effects, maybe weight gain but I'm also eating again when before I was barely eating and dropped 10 lbs. Definitely take the medication at night because it'll make you tired if you take it in the morning."

Ash 1989 October 2, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication a gift from the gods I take 40mg a day. It is truly a magic pill"

Flet555 October 2, 2017

For Panic Disorder: "Started on fluoxetine about a year ago after starting to experience panic attacks for the first time in my life after a major life change. Have dealt with social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorders without any treatment for years. Along with CBT fluoxetine has given me my life back truly, for a while I never thought I would be okay again or be able to get back to feeling normal, I convinced myself that I was having heart attacks and strokes (at 18 years old) because of the panic symptoms and I ended up at urgent care several times because of this. This medication is truly the best and I give it so much credit for getting my life back."

dundermifflinscranton (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on this medicine for about a year now. I started at 20mg now I'm at 80mg about 2 and a half months ago I was feeling good but now I have an uncomfortable feeling like my mind was not used to. Now I feel like I should for normal but I don't feel normal. It's hard to explain. Thanks for reading."

misfit kid (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Hi good people. I have been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) since 2000. I started with 20 mg, then 40 & now 60mg. I am also taking Navalpro 300mg, twice a day. Prozac is the only meds that has made me function as a "normal" person after being correctly diagnosed as having major depression. When I 1st desperately looked for help, my anxiety was unbearable. Prozac killed 2 birds with 1 stone-depression & anxiety. I had a rollercoaster journey, being prescribed other antidepressants together with Prozac. I have come to accept that the benefits outweigh the side effects. However, weight gain I have not accepted & am trying my best to watch calories & move around more often -"

Vaise59 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "My story is very long. But to get to the point, Fluoxetine is the ONLY antidepressant that helped me. Brain injury caused my problems with anxiety and depression. I was born highly sensitive to medications. I’m VERY thankful for Fluoxetine. I had some side effects in the beginning, and had to work up from 10mg to 60 over a period of a few months. That was very difficult. But, the side effects eventually did go away. I went from the deepest form of depression possible, to a very satisfactory quality of life within a few years. I still struggle with issues related to a brain injured person, but, the Fluoxetine was one of the tools that saved my life. And I’m very thankful for this medication. "

Grateful CB (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

For Depression: "It is a very good medicine. I did not get any side effect from it."

Phanikanth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with some panic. It was a miserable situation and although I gutted it out for many years, I finally decided to try meds. My doctor prescribed Prozac, 10 mg initially. I'm not going to lie, those first couple of weeks were rough. It actually made me MORE anxious and pretty jittery. Sleep was not restful. But then just about the time I was going to give up (2-3 weeks into it) and try something else, I started feeling better. Eventually, I felt a LOT better. I now take 20 mg/daily and I feel like I got my life back. I don't think I realized how small my life had become until the anxiety abated. For someone who can gut out the initial few weeks, it is so worth it."

SammyMN (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017