User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

2.7

1 review 27 medications
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 7.6 1,152 reviews

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Panic Disorder: "This medication has changed my life completely in a positive way. The new me now vs the me that I was before, the differences are crazy. It took the medication a while to adjust to my body vise versa, but the waiting was worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had a severe panic attack in college and ended up being hospitalized. I was put on venlafaxine by my primary doctor and that was an absolute horrible experience. It made me feel super depressed to the point I wouldn’t do anything but sit on the couch and cry. Also I felt even more out of control when it came to my anxiety, and my brain felt as if it was always malfunctioning. I couldn’t think straight at all. Eventually I went to a psychiatrist and was put on Prozac (10mg), I don't remember having any major symptoms when I first started the medication but after a month I got bumped up to 15mg and thats when I actually started feeling at calm and at peace again. Don’t give up there’s always hope!"

Jo20 December 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Been on Prozac 6 weeks now. Developed PTSD, suicidal ideation, work stress+++, parent dying no warning. Life sucked in 2017. After several attempts with sertraline, Zoloft, Prozac, stuck with Prozac. Saved me from doing the unthinkable. On 20mg. Just cruising along, happy, content, started exercising, eating healthy. Life is great. Wife kids happy I’m back to normal."

JD68 December 28, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have taken Prozac for 19 years and it is truly a miracle drug for me and my migraines. I was suffering from 4 or 5 migraines a month when my doctor suggested I try it. I’ve never been able to take any traditional migraine medications, makes the headaches worse actually. So I figured there was no reason I shouldn’t try it. After taking it for a couple of months, I was down to only having 1 or 2 at the most per month. I have NO regrets about taking Prozac, but I do realize that it doesn’t work with just everybody. You literally have to try it to see if it works with your body chemistry. The only thing I’ve had to do over the years is adjust the dosage. I will never go without it if I can help it!"

Honneybee (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I had been on Fluoxetine intermittently across 7 years since aged 18. I have quit this sugar-coated poison for 2 years, enjoying the same effects benefits from Fluoxetine(Prozac) by: -Going to church( just for socialising) -Get a job that can give you a sense of satisfaction -Having intermediate degree of exercise( 90-min walk a day) -Simple jokes My best advice would be: 1. Never stay on it over 2 months, normal side effects: -Extremely thirsty(I got waked up regularly for a can of coke...) -Larger appetite (eating every 3 hrs) -Extremely hyper, talkative -Worsened memory/learning Upon quitting, you'll expect the following: -Sweaty palms -Panic attack after mid-night -Regular nightmares -Chaotic mind -Suicidal thoughts"

Rage of Star dust December 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribe prozac when I was about 12 for severe anxiety and stayed on it for 3 years. During the time that I was on it, I had absolutely zero stress (I took 40mg a day). I was a whole other person, which is kinda scary when you think about it. However the withdrawals were absolutely terrible, I was depressed and was having major suicidal thoughts all summer long. That was a while ago, but now my anxiety is back as well as other mental issues. I’m supposed to get back on prozac in two days... it’s like when I'm on it and when I’m not are two different people."

Saturn5377 December 18, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on fluoxetine 20mg for 3 months now. The side effects (daytime sleepiness, insomnia, anxiety) weren't severe and lasted about 2 weeks. I lost about 10 pounds. I get vivid strange dreams but other than that no side effects stayed. I'm taking it for social anxiety and have noticed I can talk to people more openly and am also less irritable and in a good mood most of the time. I started to feel more talkative within the first few days but I didn't feel less socially anxious until after a few weeks. I would recommend this drug because it is known to have less side effects and less dependency issues. It's not a personality changer but I feel more comfortable in social situations."

dexy96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've just filled my 4th refill of Prozac and I'm very glad I stuck with it. I started suffering from GAD in June and I was a mess. I had thoughts of suicide, lost 30 lbs because I went days I couldn't eat. I struggled daily with anxiety, with my biggest fear being that I would have a panic attack that would not go away. When I first started on 20 mg, within a couple of weeks I could feel the medicine blocking the anxiety. But after about 4 weeks, it seemed to become ineffective. My doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg and after about 3 weeks I noticed a significant improvement in anxiety. The midnight panic attacks stopped. My appetite returned, and I no longer had constant thoughts of anxiety. There were side effects, but minor."

milky006 December 16, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was on fluox since '92. It definitely helped with worry, anxiety and self consciousness. Went to 20 mgs daily over time which was good. Stayed on 20mgs until '16 when I tapered off because I felt I had been on it so long wondered if it was still helping. I also read about ssri's not really helping. I now know alt. med sources and supplement makers want you to believe that and that big pharma and docs conspire to get everyone taking various meds, etc. Well after a year I had worry/anxiety slowly creep back into my live after a cramped flight(they never effected me like that before). Went back on 10 mgs then 20 mgs again and have not regretted it. A little hard to start for anxious folks/slow to act but really works. NO supplements helped."

alankay (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "Only side effects I experienced were mild dizziness and nausea whilst starting off on 20mg, about a month later I went onto 40mg and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself... I would recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety. Fluoxetine has been amazing for me and has completely changed my life so far!"

Anon1313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2017

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "My Dr told me to take this to ease premenstrual syndrome - one week before my period - the second time I used it I felt very strange - I couldn't stop crying I called my Dr and broke down in her office. Before this I had not spoken more then a few sentences to her, she got upset with me and told me to see a shrink who put me on Prozac 3 weeks of use and I had a manic episode and was informed I had become chemically bi polar and that SSRIs can cause this to happen. It took 2 years to feel ok again"

Lizzzzz (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "After years of suffering I decided to try mess again for my PMDD. Zoloft made me feel like a zombie and my body had many side effects to Prozac. I had electric shocks in my brain, paranoia which I don't normally have, feeling out of it/forgetful, anxious, dry eyes, moody, thought people were plotting against me and my depression got worse. On top of all that I went from being 5' 11 and 155 pounds to weighing 195lb in ONE month without changing my eating habits!! My doc convinced me to give it some time for the med to work so stayed on it for 3 months-wish I quit sooner. I have now been off of it since Feb but still feel slight effects of the Prozac. Eventually Wellbutrin ended up helping me tremendously so I have stayed on that."

Susanlo December 3, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I just feel the need to express how well I've been feeling with this change. Started a month ago with 20 mg. This week I upped the dose to 40 mg, my OCD comes and goes, it just doesn't bother me anymore, feeling free of those useless ruminations. Let me honestly tell you, sertraline was good, then but this medicine is just great, feeling better results and gives me sort of more activating feeling and motivation. I'll stick with it for a while with this dose. There is hope for OCD, please don't give up, there are lot options out there, God bless all of you."

Equilibrium22x (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I starred Prozac around 21 months ago. It really seems to help first couple if months except for the severe migraines. So my Dr added fiorcet. And it helped a lot. Until around Aug of this year I have been feeling out if control , mood swings, easily angered, I got hateful a lot. Suicidal thoughts are very common and I'm a recovering alcoholic but I've been wanting to get drunk bad. On Monday 11-27-17, my Dr changed my Prozac from 20mg twice daily to 40mg in morning and 20 mg at bedtime. My urge to drink has about doubled. I dislike this all, I used to be active and fit, did everything for my children and husband. Laundry , cooking, clean house. Shopping, and Now I'm disabled and don't have a life"

Helpless 74 November 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Prozac is my happy pill, it took me forever to find something that works, but this is definitely mine!! I was beginning to be skeptical that anything would work.. Effexor and Prestiq was what I was put on before this, and that was a nightmare... This makes me think more clearly and see things in a different perspective, I see the good in life, and I don't get so easily upset over everything anymore, and if I do get bothered by something, I get over it in seconds... Helps with my social anxiety as well.. I've noticed I'm more talkative, and can deal with being around people better, before I was so badly depressed with possible bipolar or personality disorder.. I'm finally getting to know myself as a person and am much happier now."

Blondebabe22 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I'm 22 and I've had anxiety and some bad panic attacks for the past 2 years. I'm prescribed ativan (lorazapam) to take as needed. It helped a lot for traveling and definitely for shutting down panic attacks but it also gives you a lot of ups and downs. Its a benzo so it essentially just shuts you down and makes you pass out, it doesn't really help fix the problem. I talked to my doctor this summer about getting on an every day anxiety medicine and my mom takes prozac so I thought maybe it'll help me too. I started at 10 for a month and then increased to 20 for 2 months. I can honestly say I haven't had bad side effects at all but also it just felt like it wasn't doing anything. I just recently increased to 40 this month, hoping for the best!"

sarahjilly November 28, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "Been on fluoxetine for five weeks. For the first month I had no side effects and after the first two weeks I experienced a very slight improvement in my anxiety. In the last week I have had some negative side effects very similar to that of a fever; including sweating, sore throat, hard to breathe, trouble sleeping, dehydration, complete lack of appetite, dizziness, shaking and confusion. Possibly the worst side affect was the distorted vision - shakey with little perception of depth, slightly like being drunk. I hope that the side effects subside soon."

AmyRichie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2017

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Prozac changed my life, I suffered with rapid mood changes several times a day. My relationships struggled in all parts of my life but mostly romantically. I started taking Prozac when things got really bad while I was pregnant. Almost 2 months after I started taking it a tragedy happened and I couldn't understand why I felt so peaceful and content but then I realised I wasn't feeling in such extreme ways and that I had felt the same mood for at least 3 days. I think that was the happiest realization I've ever had. I'll never forget the day."

RobynJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2017

For Hot Flashes: "I've been using fluoxetine now for 2 and a half months and it didn't work immediately. The first week it definitely reduced the flashes by about 66%. The next few weeks it gradually reduced more and more. This is where I am now..hot flushes.. about 2 very slight, I can hardly class it as a hot flush anymore. I've had about 2 night sweats in the past month. My angry moods have gone and will not be persuaded to stop taking this medication. Its a little miracle that has changed my life for the better.. yaaaaaaaayy"

Themaiden1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

For Depression: "For the first few weeks of taking it made me feel super bad my sleeping was all over the place and I actually felt very suicidal it made my anxiety crazy I couldn't go out without feeling terrible I was nervous to go out and always on edge, eventually it started getting a bit better but mostly felt down maybe 1 or 2 days of the month I'd be pretty happier than normal but then after a few months it died down and they personally didn't work at all like they just stopped showing affect so I gave up and stopped taking them and now I feel the same as I do if I was taking them these are probably 1 of the worst antidepressants I've took refuse to take them again (also made me pretty nauseous the first few weeks)"

Phoebecatlover November 16, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Used to read these over and over when I contemplating "obsessing" over whether or not to take the medication. Prozac has given me my life back. Life is no longer a struggle just to enjoy. It is not a miracle drug, you still have to put in the work, therapy really helps. But at times when I feel a wave of anxiety come over me that used to last 3-4 days/sleepless nights, I can almost feel the medication working. And next thing I know I'm 100 steps down the road from that worry. Some side effects in beginning with up dosing such as headaches and not getting full nights sleep but all have passed and I can only say the only side effect is I feel so good I forgot to take my Prozac. Get your life back and just try it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medicine does wonders. I am a 27 year old male who suffered from severe cyclical depression. This drug, (also known as fluoxetine when I get it cheaper), did wonders for my outlook and disposition of the world. It feels as if a solid barrier has been thrown up in my mind against things which would otherwise stress me out or cause depression. It also has a profound stabilizing effect in general on mood, thoughts, and feelings. I am deeply thankful for this drug. I would suggest trying it if you are reading this and suffer from these conditions."

Nephi November 14, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been taking prozac for the past 7 weeks. I have always been a worrier but it got a lot worse during 2nd semester of my first year in medical school. Despite my anxiety and depression I was always a straight A student. I had great study skills and I had great concentration. But I started fearing studying and going to classes because it usually triggers my anxiety. So I just stopped doing school work and I just slept. My parents stated getting worried and they took me to see a psychiatrist. He put me on prozac (20mg). Prozac really helped me at first. I watched movies and spent a lot of time with my siblings but my academic performance was bad. Since then it has gotten worse. Should I just withdraw? Should I give up my dream?"

tutusha November 12, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: "23 y/o. I’ve experienced mild anxiety most of my life. Last year I experienced a trigger that sent me into an intense bout of anxiety which led to a really horrible depression that lasted for months accompanied by such repetitive thoughts that I thought I had OCD. I began therapy for the first time and my psychiatrist started me off with 10 mg per day, then 20. He finally increased me to 30 and let me tell you it’s changed my life! Would totally recommend. It took a few months for it to take total effect but I went from thinking I would never be normal/happy again to having my anxiety under control more so now than any other point in my life. I do have very intense, realistic, strange dreams and random muscle jerks but it’s well worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started this drug for depression and anxiety. The first 2 weeks at 10mg I actually felt fine but when my psychiatrist upped the dose to 20mg and then later to 30mg, I noticed it had intensified my anxiety, gave me suicidal thoughts, worsened my insomnia, and made my anger and moods unpredictable. I also felt like I was hallucinating all the time, I could focus on a wall and start seeing weird acid-like visuals. I never had that with any other med until I started Prozac. Doc has me trying Lexapro now, and bc I stopped taking Prozac the withdrawal has been awful. I am hoping Lexapro changes things. I took this med for 3-4 months overall."

Klee9984 November 7, 2017