User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 27 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 1040 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "14 days on 20mg. I am edgy and wobbly, no appetite, forced myself to eat, so I am eating less. Taking advantage of that because I am also a diabetic and hard to go to sleep. I am sticking with the medicine. Have some relief of bad thoughts. Hope it gets better."

6521L May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was diagnosed for OCD mixed type. My psychiatrist prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. The first 7 days were very bad. Extreme fatigue & tiredness, the typical "zombie" feeling associated with AD's. But on my 15th day the fatigue has reduced considerably & my OCD thoughts have become very easy to control. Also I can avoid my rituals now. The medication has worked for me & I think in the coming months will do me more good. I'm grateful for opting for it as I tried all the "natural" ways but with a mental illness when you don't get results you tend to get discouraged & leave the process midway. I wasn't getting better & thus finally overcame the fear of medication. Stop googling as it will only scare you & visit your doctor."

atifhussain18 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Prozac last year for depression and OCD. The first three days taking it were hard for me. My depression worsened and I was having terrifying nightmares every night. I went back to my doctor, explained to him how I was feeling and I was immediately taken off and switched to something else. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, but make sure you tell your doctor if your depression worsens or you feel more anxious or have nightmares.. The nightmares every single night was what made my doctor know that Prozac wasn't for me.. Even if it's supposed to take 2-3 weeks, or however many, to kick in, make sure you tell your doctor you're not feeling well!! Let them decide what the best decision is for you. :)"

kyliebm May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am twenty six years old and have suffered from significant depression since I was a child. For years I just dealt with it always going from one crisis to another. I've had a handful of suicide attempts starting from my early teens to young adult years. I would especially have trouble during the two weeks leading up to my period. Crying episodes and just an overall feeling of depression. I was put on Prozac about three years ago and it has made a world of difference. I'm happy again and able to function to my best ability, I'm focused and driven. Sometimes I forget to take it and the depression comes back. But as long as I'm taking my daily dose as prescribed, I'm great!"

MadiMadi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bulimia: "I've struggled with night time binge eating for years where I only eat at night and all at once. I started prozac 5 days ago and it's decreased my desire to keep eating which is great/amazing actually but without food filling the 'void' I was left feeling more depressed will see if it improves feeling hopeful with the change in appetite though !!"

NightEatingLaur May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This is a great drug. I was on Paxil for about 5 years. It helped, but wore off. I switched to Prozac and had no side effects. My energy returned, I stopped over eating and napping. The 'fogginess' has cleared."

BeMaRe May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Tried Zoloft and lexapro but had stomach problem side effects for months. I tried the generic Prozac 20 mg and had a month of horrible side effects until 6 weeks it finally worked. Helps so much, no attacks and only have a little anxiety once in a while. Worth it!!!!"

Buzz91 April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was given this drug after going to my GP after months of feeling like I was the only person in the world feeling this way thinking I wasn't normal and that I couldn't tell anyone about how I felt. I felt depressed, anxious and after taking this for about 7 weeks I started to feel so much better like my old self again and then I thought I was fine and I stopped taking it but now I am back to being very anxious and uneasy about everything so I am starting them again I would not recommended you stop taking these pills even if you feel you are ready. Always talk to a GP first if you think it's time to stop. I 100% recommend anyone who feels like they need help to get better to try these out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Hello all, It is April 20th 2017. I started taking prozac in January 2017. I hated prozac. I was never depressed in the first place to begin with. My psychiatrist prescribed me the pills. They did not work for me. I have not been taking the pills since April 17th. So its been 3 days and I feel better and beginning to be back to my normal ways and more alert and less depressed. I have read online that people who stopped taking it feels good at first then it starts to kick in like emotions and stuff trying to get it out of ur system. I guess withdrawal? But I couldn't do prozac anymore. Made me VERY depressed and annoyed all the time. Didn't work for me"

Tiamani April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Taken fluoxotine before, medication free for 4 years, I remember why I stopped. I know it's not a magic cure and that the first few weeks will always make you feel worse before you start improving but I would never take this again. Sweating, increased anxiety, violent mood swings, weight loss, crying, loss of appetite and an Ambulance trip to A and E due to kidney failure (which I have never suffered before) nearly 2 weeks off this and my kidney funtions are slowly returning to how they should be. A lot of time off work however which is now a whole new stress with loss of money and what is increasingly seemingly an addiction to codeine. PLEASE to anyone taking these, be careful x"

SMELLY ElF 89 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Personal experience: 1. Put up with the initial uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, increased anxiety, insomnia, lethargy, (the anxiety is usually your fears related to taking medicine and the 'what ifs', medicine alone can not make you think bad things. 2. After 2 weeks (yes I was one of the unlucky few who had very bad side effects for all that time but I stuck with it) the therapeutic effects start coming through eventually 3. Don't just assume medicine will make you completely happy, you still need to actively change your life to fix the root causes of anxiety or depression i.e do mediation, quit drinking, do CBT, take up exercise, see a therapist, be around people more."

Tomtom82 April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bulimia: "I've had bulimia for 10 years. I just went on 20mg due to depression (extremely tired, not able to get out of bed, no energy/motivation etc.). I also experienced a noticeable increase in binging/purging during this time in an attempt to deal with the dysphoria and insomnia. I've only been on the medication 3 days, but oh my god. I'm not thinking about food all day long. My cravings are gone, my appetite is "normal". I don't feel like I'm constantly fighting that irresistible urge to binge. I have been getting tired during the day and will probably switch to taking it at night. Also have zero libido, which I like because its easier to focus. It also basically cured my "ADD" and I don't have to chug coffee all day to finish school work."

Kels78789 April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was surprised to feel lightly speedy my first dose as I heard the serotonin has to accumulate in the body. I had a major head injury in July 1998. I have memory and attention to details problem. Intellectually I'm fine. I notice my attention to detail has changed for the better. Naturally the memory problem caused by damage to the hippocampus is still there and might be somewhat ameliorated, but I am having that tested later this month to compare my score with older testing. Otherwise my impression might be subjective reflecting wishful thinking. I like this medication and hope it stays effective."

Anni_Mc April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm 18 and have suffered from major anxiety and depression causing frequent panic attacks for roughly two years. I've been on Prozac for four nights now and whilst it is to early to tell if the drug will help me, I am experiencing some side effects. In the last four nights I've had about eight hours of sleep and constant head aches. On my first day I felt drowsey and unfocused and after that I think it was a combination of depression, Prozac and lack of sleep. I'm hoping these will wear off in time like I've been told but don't know if they will come back again (if they go away at all) if my GP ups my dosage from 1/2 a tablet to 1 a night. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I plan to ask my GP at my next appointment."

Insomnia101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I should have been on this sooner. I'm a 26 year old recent law school graduate enduring the bar exam- unfortunately twice. My first round of studying I was crying daily, couldn't sleep, was irritable, extremely depressed, anxious- I am normally these things, but it was heightened by the bar exam. My first time taking the exam, I didn't come close to finishing the exam on the second day. I was crying and couldn't control my panic attacks. Second round of studying for the test, I decided to see a psychiatrist who gave me Prozac. I love it. I feel like a normal person. A better version of who I was. I feel even, I don't have panic attacks, don't cry, I feel great."

Tammy6789 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I just started taking 90mg once-weekly Prozac for anxiety and PMDD. I have taken this in the past and it was amazing for improvement of my mood. I will only be taking it 2 weeks out of the month. I didn't have the anxiety previously, but I am hoping the results will be amazing this time too. I have high hopes that this will get me through this rough patch. The only downfall I have seen for my body, and this has been my experience with all SSRI's, after about 6 months of treatment, I become like a blank slate and void of emotion. I'm not depressed, but I'm not happy either. I don't feel anything. Hopefully as I am about 10 years older, that has changed for me, and since I am only taking 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off."

KG1980 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed 2-3 weeks ago...was so happy to finally have something I thought would help prescribed to me. I tried it for two days...felt my depression/scary scenarios get worse, so I stopped. Depression was still there but not as bad as it is when I am on the pill. I took it again to see if it will finally work this time...it's my 3rd day, still feeling worse but I'm trying to wait for it to work because I've read it works after 2-3 weeks. So I hope it helps... :/"

MissLR April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Young male early 20s. I suffer from major depression as well as anxiety. I tried 20mg Prozac only because it supposedly gives people more energy. The first 1-2 weeks I experienced side effects such as extreme fatigue and increased anxiety. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel better, however, it worked until it seemed to stop after about a month. It still helped relieve my symptoms slightly, but I had returning feelings of fear, panic, negativity etc and never felt more energized. I stopped taking it and after 3 days immediately felt much better. I ended up switching back to 10mg Lexapro because it worked great for me. Prozac helped somewhat, but for those who struggle mostly with depression/anxiety, I'd try more selective SSRIs personally."

RainyDay423 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I used prozac in the past for 3-9 months twice and had no side effects apart from some headache for a few weeks. Now I have been on it again for 3 weeks and this time I am suffering SEVERE side effects. Physical ones include heavy fogginess/head pressure, sleeplessness, muscle tension, blurred vision and loss of appetite and weight loss. Mentally I have also worsened. Anxiety is really high, especially in the mornings, feelings of hopelessness an inability to cope with life, suicidal thoughts (that I never really had before), inability to focus/read and feel motivated. Now at 3 weeks I have some moments in the afternoon of feeling calmer but it is rather unpleasant numbness. I hope it improves going forward, but it has been very tough."

lulondon (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I am a different person when I'm on this, and in a good way. It helps me keep stable. The first time I was on it, I got really sick and felt terrible. I tried it again on a lower dose and built my way up and now I'm doing well on it!"

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "Has not worked for my belumia. I still throw up almost every meal. I don't throw up after taking it because I know I need it."

deehee (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017