User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Binge Eating Disorder 3 reviews 1 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 29 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 944 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Hot Flashes: "It absolutely worked for me! I was really suffering with hot flushes - really badly - had to get up in the middle of the night and lie next to a fan and a cold hairdryer - didn't really want to go on HRT but my doctor wouldn't do that anyway because I was trying to get my high blood pressure under control - anyway she suggested I try taking fluoxetine 20mg a day as she had had good results with some other patients really suffering with hot flushes - IT WORKS IT WORKS! After about 2 weeks I was a different person and 6 months later I am totally clear of the awful hot flushes! Very happy lady!"

Jool (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was put on 50mg for Anxiety and minor depression 3 years ago. I took it for 2 years, and have been off it for 1. I am about to start again at 20mg daily. It was really a life saver for me. It reduced emotions without touching intellect, and I found it much easier to just roll with things. Unlike other drugs, this one didn't cause cognitive impairment or "fog". I was clear headed and much less high strung. I was able to focus on work, get things done, and deal. However, it should be noted that it doesn't select WHICH emotions it dampens..it dampens all of them. The result is that you can be somewhat "cold" in general. You fail to show empathy when you should. There are also sexual side effects. Orgasms lack pleasure."

DDdr (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Having horrible anxiety that comes and goes especially if things change. As a child I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder but mom disagreed. I was very anxious and unable to concentrate and unable to become a good student so I sufferered tremendously. Started Prozac 20 mg and hope it helps. I am 64 and just stopped working full time because my anxiety kicked in ."

Riley-Gunther (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on this medicine for almost ten years. At first it helped me and now I think I am having the long term side effects of the drug. My anxiety is through the roof and I have gained 50 lbs in 6 months. I'm not depressed but have major anxiety, I would say I have a panic attack almost every day. I take 60 MG and was on 80 but had to lower it because I was getting bad chest pain. I'm thinking about going off of it because the anxiety is so bad I can't stand it hardly. I guess for short term use it is a good drug but long term use it sucks, everybody is different though."

Krr9141 (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Been on Prozac before and worked well. Left it too long before seeking help this time, never felt this bad, extreme anxiety, depression and feelings of doom and obsessive racing thoughts. First week in and making me worse, but this is to be expected I guess. Docs upped them to 30 mg so will see what happens. Cry all morning, wake early sweating and anxious, feel sick, lost a lot of weight. Want my life back"

Dizzydaisydoo (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "After 2 weeks, this crap called medication made my OCD WORSE, Then a few weeks later i was so depressed that i couldn't even get out of bed. I went from being a healthy lady with moderate ocd, to a majorly depressed obese pig in 2 months. Thanks prozac. Dont put this depression (causing) pill down your throat. Talk to your doctor about other options. Also, i just want to let you all know something, 50% of psychiatrists will do anything to make their appointment with you quicker, even if that includes just opening their book of medications and picking a random one in your category (in my case, ocd). Always try medication free solutions BEFORE popping a pill. eg, ocd training, therapy, natural treatments, etc"

LanieMal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have Obssessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, Anxiety, Anger. I Came off 8 years of venlafaxine with a week of headaches, increased fluid loss, dehydration and difficulty concentrating. 1st day of fluoxetine seemed at first to be similar to past week. After 5 hours, my mind started to feel a little dizzy with accompanying nausea. By evening, nausea heightened and appetite decreased. Next day, within 1 hour, I felt the full effects: vertigo, metallic taste/smell, nausea, alertness, and heart flutter. Within 5 hours, I could no longer remain at a workstation, feeling very dizzy. GP ordered rest, I went home and laid up. The second evening/night: difficulty falling asleep, violent dreams, electrical pulses in brain, anxiety. Third morning: extreme tiredness, brain pulses continuing, vertigo."

Jason Peter Young (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "About four months ago my anxiety became very bad which eventually led to me becoming depressed. I spent my days in bed, crying and anxious. I had to take time off work and my social life became non-existent. I was eventually put on Fluoxetine at 20mg and then eventually put on 40mg. The side effects I had was extreme tiredness, strange dreams and an increase in anxiety which went away after about four weeks so if you're having side effects hang in there as it can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks for this medication to work. My side effects went and three months after taking this medication I'm a completely different person. I'm motivated, my anxiety has eased so much and my depression has gone. It has given me my life back!"

Anxiety, depression and OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "six years ago I almost lost my life from an abusive relationship. I am 24 years old now. Luckily I am a survivor of domestic violence. From that traumatic time in my life I have been severely depressed, anxious & have had thoughts of suicide. For the past six years I have been on & off depression medications. Some have worked but the effects were too extreme. I tried Effexor but didn't like it too much and the withdrawal was terrible. Then I tried to work things out without medication and was doing good for a while but became very depressed/gained weight and so decided to give medications a try again. Recently started on Prozac (10 mg) about a week ago so far the low dose is good for me. I am more positive, exercise daily & new diet."

PTSD gal November 2, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on meds for depression, anxiety and pmdd for over 10 years. Even on Zoloft I would cry at work all the time over little things, take everything personally, Finally, there was a suicidal ideation breaking point for me and I went off Zoloft and on Prozac 20 mg. Within a few days, I felt the depression and sadness lifting. 2 months later, still not depressed. My psychiatrist just upped my Prozac to 30 mg and I'm having trouble sleeping through the night. Overall I feel less emotions and don't care as much about work and other things. I don't react strongly to anything. However, I'm tired a lot and feel much less motivated in all areas of my life. It's better than being depressed &stressed."

Jenn2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on these now for around 4 months - they really are impressive. I was previously on Citalopram and Sertraline but didn't find these to be any help, so these were next in my thoughts to try. I have suffered from anxiety, BDD, panics, OCD, overactive thoughts and depressive mood for some time now, and I was recommended to go on these because i was feeling so low always. I also experienced high amounts of anger outbursts from the issues, which have now been cut down greatly thanks to these tablets. Taking these has also improved my relationships. Although I am far from being mentally well, I am happy to say that i am now more stable and hopefully more able to manage the problems better than before. 40mg"

kat1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Started this week and can see small improvements, hopefully it keeps going this way and I'll feel good about myself again"

Higz (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I suffered PMDD that came on exactly day 14 of my cycle. For another 12 days I would be incredibly irritable, teary, depressed, high anxiety and ruining the relationships around me. I also couldn't study and struggled often to get to work or to even drive myself home from my boyfriends. I started antidepressants but then freaked out and stopped, then actively tried other options for a whole year before trying them again and coming to terms with the fact it was probably my best option. I wasn't expecting them to work the way they have, I just feel like a normal human and like my personality is back. I can function and I have enjoyment in life that I didn't before. Haven't really experienced any side effects either."

Larni (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "With all medications my G.P. gives me daily, is a good reason to try Prozac, I have no days without stress, scared of some health problems, that might kill me, such as brain aneurysm, had 2 surgeries for it, and survived both, first one had less than 50% of surviving, as aneurysm started bleeding, was under for 5 hours, to a coiled process, taking 8 different medication at night and 5 in morning, to help combat diabetic type two, to chronic leg wound open for past 21 years. Scared of everything I do, as stress alone can trigger another brain aneurysm, and I need to stress out, my G.P. freaks out every time I want to try different drugs to ease tension, I smoke marijuana, was licensed by Government, but quit after a year, could write more,.."

Bearminator (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "This medication was awful. Despite only being 17 at the time so the doctor decided that I would be put on this medication for my depression I knew that there was a chance that this may cause my condition to deteriorate. I saw no improvements with the 10mg so my doctor increased this to 20mg. This is where it all went downhill. I developed full blown Panic disorder as I was having several panic attacks a day so I was unable to go to school. The medication increased my suicidal thoughts to the point where I was not sleeping at night due to constantly thinking of ways to kill myself. One day I nearly did attempt suicide so I had to be assessed by a Psychiatrist who put me on tranquilisers for a week then admitted me to a psychiatric unit."

India98 October 23, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I am a recovering opiate addict and alcoholic. I have been sober for five years and extremely grateful. However, I have been diagnosed several times by physicians as having depression. It got so bad about a month ago that I decided to try Prozac 20mg. I have been on Celexa in the past but it made feel disconnected. The Prozac took about three weeks to kick in but it is working wonderfully now for a few days. It is like a switch was flipped and I just feel normal and positive. I do have some of the usual side effects but they are bearable. Everyone is different for sure but I am very pleased with Prozac thus far. If you are trying this medicine, stick with it as it does take a while to have an effect. very grateful!"

Nigeloz October 21, 2016

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "This medication changed my life! I was depressed overcome with fatigue and generally unpleasant to be around! After the first two weeks of fatigue passes I am back to the old Laurie "the nice to be around Laurie" also noticed a decrease in appetite...which is super for me being slightly overweight! Although it's expensive I am blessed to have insurance and only paid 20$ for the name brand...I wish all who suffer with Peri Menopausal symptoms and or depression would give this medication a try!"

Laurie Jean October 16, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've been depressed for most of my life but was raised to "tough it out". I am a recovering opioid addict so I am scared to take any medication at all. The last 3 years I've completely withdrawn from any social activities, relationships & have just been doing the bare minimum to get by. Recently my oldest son turned 18 & has severed ties with me. This took me to the lowest low I've ever been & made me suicidal. For the sake of my younger son, I chose to get help. I was put on 20mg of prozac & have been on it for 3 weeks. I wish I would have done this sooner. Through my recovery from opioids, I've learned that pills are not the answer so these combined with counseling is the solution I've needed for a long time. I hope this helps others."

TT79 (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "18y/o with anxiety/ depression I was given medication for the anxiety originally and then the doctor gave me fluoxetine 20mg, this was fine the first week, no side effects. Second week, I was living in a constant state of panic, beta blockers weren't helping and I always had chest pains and severe panic attacks. I couldn't stand to be in a classroom full of my peers, they made me feel paranoid about everyone. I absolutely hate these."

KibblyKoala (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been on several different SSRIs before and haven't seen much improvement. So far, this seems to be the only antidepressant that's worked for me and hasn't given me too many side effects. I was on Luvox, which wasn't helping at all for any of the multiple conditions it was prescribed to treat, and was switched to an equivalent dose of Prozac. Ever since starting it, I've had more energy and have been able to smile, laugh, and overall just feel like a normal person. For me, in combination with Seroquel, Adderall (for ADHD, but also gives what I take for depression a little boost), and Wellbutrin, this is a wonder drug. It still helps me get through every day after quite a few months on it. Couldn't say the same about other SSRIs."

Xelleld (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "My nurse practioner kept insisting I try Prozac along with Olanzapine for my severe bipolar depression because it was the gold standard (supposedly they work good together). So, I ended up taking Prozac all the way up to 60 mg for over 12 weeks (along with Carbamazepine, Olanzapine & now Saphris) and I only got a partial response to the medicine. It helped get me functioning again but I wasnt happy. I still didnt enjoy the things I loved doing. For example, I would try listening to music or play video games but it wouldnt do anything for me. The euphoria was kind of missing. I know 80 mg is the max dosage but I shouldnt have to be on the max dosage or go beyond it to get a desired effect. Oh, and I lost my sex drive on Prozac too! Grr!"

BipolarDude86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "I had been having night sweats for about 2years. All the other Symptoms hot flushes nightmare. Life was getting unbearable. I can't go on HRT as My mum died very young with breast Cancer. My GP had spoken to me about fluxotine, I thought I will try. I did think no way will this work!! Found this site and thought what's there to loose. OMG I'm 10 days into taken the drug and what a turn around. I clean Doctors houses for a living My own little Business. I had told one of the Doctor's I work for about getting put onto the drug. She couldn't believe that this would work as she does prescribe medication to her patient's. She knows what these drugs are used for obviously. One of her colleagues is menopausal she is passing on the information!!"

Wee Fairy Duster (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I know this is a process, but it sucks. I'm now taking 40 mg of Prozac and it literally does nothing for me. I started with Zoloft, and at least that was an appetite suppressant Both Zoloft and Prozac just make me tired, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for. My goal is to gain energy and be able to do...anything...other than sleep."

Tierna October 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I recently started feeling what exactly anxiety means. I went to see my GP 3 days ago and that day was the worst day of my life in terms of anxiety level. I was thinking that I will die. I've been prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine. Today is my 3rd day of taking it. Last 2 days was a total hell for me. Level of anxiety went very high. I experienced all side effects like Insomnia, negative thoughts, nausea, light headed, so far. Thanks to all these comments I stay hopeful."

Parissaa October 7, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "For anyone who is hesitant about trying an anti depressant like Prozac because maybe you have too much pride, or you're embarassed that you have to take a pill everyday to feel like yourself. I was suffering with anxiety and depression for about 5 years after a really traumatic car accident and refused to try anything. I'm in my early 20s I thought I was too young. I only wished I would've listened to my body and mind sooner. Prozac changed my life. I only take 20mg and it is incredible. I feel happy.. I feel calm. I feel like my old self. I haven't had any anxiety in months.. I'm not moody. It's like that big dark cloud is finally gone, don't be afraid to try this anti depressant. Im a brand new Me, because of it. I feel invincible"

ChristinaM872 October 6, 2016