User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: Prozac

Fluoxetine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 121 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

DG October 10, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Hello! I have now been on prozac for 7 months now and I can honestly say this medication has helped me so much! I use to have irrational thoughts and fears of getting sick and would not want to leave my house. I always told my self I don’t need medication, I can handle it myself. My advice, do not fear Prozac! It caused a few side affects the first 2 weeks but over time it became better. It gave me my thoughts back and I can do things without fear now. I started on 20mg and went up to 30mg after a month. My only regret was being scared and waiting over a year to finally do something to help myself. Do not be scared of the reviews, I have been where you were, and it WILL get better.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Do not give up! This drug does work but it takes time. I am going on week 4 of 20mg and I am finally starting to feel better and more like myself. The first week was REALLY hard. For 2 days I had massive anxiety, worse than ever before to the point where I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I almost stopped this medication, but I pushed through because that’s what everyone said. After those few days it got better. I don’t have a lot of “what If” thoughts anymore and I am starting to feel myself. I know this is different for everyone, but my advice is try to push through the first 2 weeks if you can!”

Bill March 18, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Mother had severe panic attacks for 6 months. Absolute awful and no help or solution from GP.....best he could offer was to blow into a paper bag. Tell that to someone who thinks they are dying. Demanded to see Consultant who prescribed PROZAC. Incredible change !! Problem resolved in 10 days. No more panic attacks.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I have always suffered with generalized anxiety until recently due to stress from nursing school, it spiralled into full on panic attacks that became daily and debilitating. I started taking prozac which completely changed my life. I had very mild side effects, lucky for me I didn't get the side effects that many have stated on this forum just some mild insomnia but it completely eradicated my panic attacks and brought a whole new outlook on my life. Im not afraid to step out of my house anymore and could truly enjoy life. This drug was truly helpful, I can breathe again! It took about 2-3 weeks for the effects to kick in and again don't be afraid of the side effects in the beginning, they will go away! Good luck to anyone suffering from panic disorder, I feel your pain. There are solutions and you will get better! God speed.”

KitkT August 7, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Have been on Prozac since it came out many years ago. I had severe panic disorder with anxiety attacks. I was also agoraphobic. Since being in Prozac I was able to return to work, go to college. Now that I am retired I am able to travel to different states.”

Ak72 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Hi there , I started thanking this magic pill about 4 mos ago . I've had general anxiety disorder and depression for at least 20 yrs . Biggest anxiety is with taking medication . Finally at 44 it hit me like a brick & I stopped driving and not being able to work due to crippling anxiety and irrational fears ..I seemed help and got the courage to start on 10 mg Prozac about 4.5 mos ago , increased to 20 mgs after 3 weeks . I have to say this medication truly saved my life & sanity ! I feel normal again and anxiety is gone ! I recommend it to anyone who has double thoughts about it , it truly works :)”

Alex D · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I started experiencing panic attacks a few months ago, so bad that I thought I was dying each time I had one, my college NP prescribed me Prozac, the first month of taking it was HELL, my anxiety defiantly increased and I had more frequent panic attacks, my doctor said this was normal and to stick with it and I did! Let me tell you it has changed my life, I am able to function normally now and even though I experience some anxiety, I am able to manage it. Prozac has just made me a genuinely happier person and I recommend it to anyone with anxiety, especially with panic attacks and depression.”

Justpeachy132 October 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I have currently been on prozac for the past 4 months and it has been a miracle drug. I was having severe anxiety and panic attacks every day. I couldn't drive a car by myself for fear of having a panic attack and losing control, I couldn't go ANYWHERE by myself and I could not stay home alone. I am a 22 year old female and once I turned 21, I developed debilitating anxiety. I tried zoloft and lexapro and both drugs made my anxiety and panic attacks sky rocket. Before starting prozac, I was a mess. My anxiety prevented me from functioning. I could barely even go to class or work without having a panic attack. I am currently taking 30mg of prozac and I am doing so much better, it is amazing!”

Lemons · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I am on my 6th week on prozac and I can't believe how much this medication has helped my panic disorder. I went from having up five or six panic attacks a day to having only one very minor one this week. I have also experienced probably 90% less derealization and disassociation episodes in the last three weeks. My hypochondria is 100% VANISHED!!! I was so scared of the side effects I obsessively read reviews on this site and many others but I had none except a minor loss of appetite the first week. I noticed a change in energy by the end of my first week. Its not that I have euphoria or experience no moments of anxiety but they pass faster, I don't immediately catastrophize and I am beginning to believe that even if bad things to happen to me I am strong enough to get through them. I used to cry multiple times everyday and I haven't cried once this week. I really hope it continues to work for me!”

jacksk8ter January 16, 2009

Prozac (fluoxetine): “It's a miracle drug. I took this for anxiety and panic attacks and slight depression. It has changed my life. I am happier. I have made more friends in the past month. It has helped with everything; school, stress, anxiety and self confidence. I cant recommend it enough.”

Ivyrose · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I started 20mg daily. The only side effect I experienced was delayed orgasm and this was within first week. This medication takes time to begin working. People who concentrate on their physical symptoms too much often throw in the towel before this medication has had time to start working. Don't do that. Give it time. Prozac makes me feel normal again. I don't feel like I'm going to panic over everything I feel in my body anymore. I'm sleeping much better and my crazy mood swings have disappeared.”

Guest · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I thought I was trapped that way forever. I tried EVERYTHING. 20mg and the book DARE saved my life. It took 6 weeks and got worse before it got better. Please know that you will recover and you aren’t alone.”

Anon October 19, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After having anxiety and depression for about 3 years and doing nothing about it, I finally saw a psychiatrist and was prescribed 20 mg of prozac. The first two weeks I felt really off and was not a fan at all, but after about a month I was the happiest I have ever been. I am now six months in and feel pretty balanced. I still have my highs and lows, but all together I am so much better than I was before Prozac. My brain fog is gone, I am no longer socially anxious, and never have snappy moods anymore. The cons are the insane dreams, and drinking on it. My dreams feel so real and last all night, but thankfully I don’t wake up many times during the night. Drinking is pretty tough, I definitely cannot handle alcohol like I could before. Also, in the 1st few months I lost 15 lbs (but I was on a really strict diet). I started the diet again a month ago and have not lost 1 pound, which is very frustrating. All together though, prozac has changed my life for the better in many aspects.”

laurenleisa · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2012

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Prozac absolutely changed my life. Not only did it get rid of my daily anxiety and is slowly but surely getting rid of my social anxiety, but it also made me generally a happier person. By far the best anxiety medicine I've tried.”

JingleBells · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine): “So happy on Prozac. I was on Effexor 150mg for a few months until I had had enough of the sexual dysfunction and the awful other side effects it was giving me. Taking Prozac has not only helped with my panic disorder, but also it causes no sexual side effects for me. I’ve been taking 40mg since September 2020, it is now February 2021. I’m happier than ever!”

Jen1981 · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety for 9 years and have tried every medication under the sun and nothing has worked until now! I feel normal, not drugged and best part is no anxiety or depression. I take 10 mgs of this with 1 milligram of Risperdal daily for bipolar disorder and I get so much accomplished its ridiculous! I'm okay with being alone, I don't feel like I need a man or a miracle anymore and my expectations are more realistic. I look forwarding to coming home which is something I used to dread as I have 3 young children, 1 with autism. Prozac makes my job as a single mother so much easier!”

chandlaaz · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I've been taking Prozac 20MG for 3 weeks now. It has changed my life. I take other meds (Xanax 1MG, Depakote 1000MG, Norco 10/325MG, Nexium 40MG) For other problems. Well I take the Xanax 4 times a day as needed to help with my anxiety and panic disorder. My Panic attacks were so bad I was hospitalized for a week. I couldn't function. I suffered unknown seizures because of panic disorder. Now I can Go about my Life. The only problem I have with Prozac is that it makes me go to the bathroom very often. The first few days it made me sleepy but that went away. I'm 16. It also helps depression too, its helped mine a lot. I would recommend this to anyone who suffers from severe anxiety like me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Re Prozac: I started this medication May 1, 2016 for Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I started at Prozac 20 mgs and felt good but it suddenly stopped working after 10 days. 10 days later, I bumped it up to 40 mgs. At the onset of taking 20 mgs and 40 mgs, my anxiety was 5 fold, unable to sleep well, constant nausea, & lost my appetite. I did use a benzo at times to reduce the anxiety which was high. It is now June 10, 2016, I got my appetite back and sleep pattern was back to normal. Prozac has made a big change in my life. I feel less anxiety and less panicky. Prozac is working pretty well thus far and haven't had to use a benzo in over 14 days. You must give Prozac at least 6 or 8 weeks and you'll know by that time if it is for you or not.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2020

“I had my first panic attack in April 2020. This was due to a medication a doctor over prescribed me. I was having severe anxiety and panic for months after this attack. I tried various medications with no success. My body was so anxiety ridden I had twitching of my muscles (from head to toe), heart palpitations, feelings of tingly and numbness in hands and feet, and I developed TMJ Disorder from the stress my body was under. Each and everyday was a constant struggle. I had MRI’s, an EMG, blood tests and so many trips to various doctors to rule out other diseases and such. All said the same thing...anxiety and panic. I started Fluoxetine in June 2020. It has changed my life. I noticed it working within the first week and weeks after it just got better. I would say the full effect took 5-6 weeks in. I take one 10mg capsule each morning and it controls that feeling I would get or terrible anxiety and panic. I’m telling you - this has given me my life back. Please consider trying this.”

Anonymous December 6, 2010

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and Major Depression which was a total panic in itself. My doctor and therapist both agreed that I should take an antidepressant. I was so scared of the medicine because of the panic disorder that I tried other remedies first. I did EMDR cognitive thinking as well as many others. After a few months of therapy, and depression getting worse I decided to give it a try. It has saved my life. If you are scared it is worth it. The side effects for me lasted about 2 days and were very mininal really just dry mouth and tired that was about it. I have only been taking this medication for 3 weeks and feel awesome. I have some anxiety but I am able to control it the way any other human should and can. I recommend it.”

Amber December 11, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I started taking Prozac 9 days ago. I have my first ever panic attack 2 days ago in which I thought I was wasn't going to live. Since the panic attack I haven’t been able to sleep, eat or drink. I haven't stopped thinking about dying once. So for these 2 days I have been throwing up, nervous feeling in my tummy, dizziness, feeling scared and panic and it hasn’t stopped. It’s been here constantly. I’ve spoke to my doctor and my counsellors and they said to ride it out. But I’m not going to do that. I had a suicidal thought last night which has never happened for me. I’ve had to move in with my mum for the next couple of days so I’m not alone because I’m that scared of dying. I hope that after the tablets leave my system I’m back to my old ways. I just don’t know what to do or say to anyone anymore. Doctors have even had to give me diazepams so I can stay calm and half the time they only work for around 15-20 minutes, all of this is torture. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS.”

DavidKirsch38 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!”

OnceStuckInLimbo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 7, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Fluoxetine is pretty gentle compared to most other anti-depressant medicines. I had a good response from Zoloft almost 20 years ago, and when I had breakthrough depression I was switched to Effexor. Effexor worked but was prohibitively expensive. Then I was finally stated on Prozac(fluoxetine). I had zero side effects during the first week--which was vastly different from my experience with the other two--and at 40mg/day fluoxetine seems just as efficacious. Fluoxetine has worked well for my panic, depression, and general anxiety. One must give it time to work. For people that are really struggling six weeks can seem a lifetime, but for many that is how long it takes for fluoxetine to 'work'.”

Anonymous October 30, 2009

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I just started using Prozac a couple of weeks ago and it has been life changing. I am a combat veteran who suffers from severe anxiety and sleeping problems and this drug has completely abated those symptoms. My mood is much better, I can concentrate for longer periods of time and I don't have the social anxiety that was plaguing me since I left the Marine Corps. All in all, this is a great drug that has helped me move on from my anxiety. I take 20mg per day (minimum dose) and that is working fine.”

Dee_lopez July 10, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm on day 25 taking this medication. I am taking the generic Prozac for anxiety and severe panic attacks. I started on 20mg. The side effects were horrible. I couldn't stop shaking, my heart was racing, I couldn't eat, sleep, it made my anxiety worse. I went to my doctor by the 10th day and he prescribed me klonopin. I only took klonopin once, it did help but I just didn't like the feeling. I wanted to stop taking fluoxetine because it made me feel worse but I kept taking it. By the third week I was able to eat again. It is now day 25 and I am starting to feel like myself again. My anxiety and panic attacks went from a 10 to a 3. I am planning on upping my dosage by day 30. I highly suggest trying out this medication. Don't be scared.”

Learn more about Panic Disorder