User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac is my happy pill, it took me forever to find something that works, but this is definitely mine!! I was beginning to be skeptical that anything would work.. Effexor and Prestiq was what I was put on before this, and that was a nightmare... This makes me think more clearly and see things in a different perspective, I see the good in life, and I don't get so easily upset over everything anymore, and if I do get bothered by something, I get over it in seconds... Helps with my social anxiety as well.. I've noticed I'm more talkative, and can deal with being around people better, before I was so badly depressed with possible bipolar or personality disorder.. I'm finally getting to know myself as a person and am much happier now."

Blondebabe22 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi good people. I have been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) since 2000. I started with 20 mg, then 40 & now 60mg. I am also taking Navalpro 300mg, twice a day. Prozac is the only meds that has made me function as a "normal" person after being correctly diagnosed as having major depression. When I 1st desperately looked for help, my anxiety was unbearable. Prozac killed 2 birds with 1 stone-depression & anxiety. I had a rollercoaster journey, being prescribed other antidepressants together with Prozac. I have come to accept that the benefits outweigh the side effects. However, weight gain I have not accepted & am trying my best to watch calories & move around more often -"

Vaise59 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My story is very long. But to get to the point, Fluoxetine is the ONLY antidepressant that helped me. Brain injury caused my problems with anxiety and depression. I was born highly sensitive to medications. I’m VERY thankful for Fluoxetine. I had some side effects in the beginning, and had to work up from 10mg to 60 over a period of a few months. That was very difficult. But, the side effects eventually did go away. I went from the deepest form of depression possible, to a very satisfactory quality of life within a few years. I still struggle with issues related to a brain injured person, but, the Fluoxetine was one of the tools that saved my life. And I’m very thankful for this medication. "

Grateful CB (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Prozac after the Cymbalta didn't seem to be working for me any longer. I started out taking 10mg per day, now I am taking 20mg per day. I had been taking the Prozac at night before going to bed but noticed I was having a lot more trouble getting to sleep. After reading the dosing information, I realized that I needed to be taking this medication in the morning. So I will start that in the morning by holding off my dose tonight. For the time that I've been taking this medication, I have not had depressive episodes that I was unable to handle and taking the depression test, it was not as high as it had been in the past. So for now, I will continue this med but just change to taking it in the morn."

Brezie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Amazing effective medicaction. Works like magic. Makes me relax and happier and enhanced my sexual drive. Very safe and I LOVE IT. Overall, this medication changed my life and enhanced everything and helped me function in a very short time that I stopped taking it."

AnonArabF (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi everyone, I have had severe depression accompanied with suicidal thoughts, since I was about 12. I'm 22 now, and sought treatment when I was 17. I tried Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Remeron, and even tried to self-medicate with Heroin. Prozac/Fluoxetine, 20mg a day, was a game changer for me. It came with no side effects, and a month into it life seemed so much brighter, and I was given my life back. If it weren't for Fluoxetine I would be dead by now. I've been taking it for 3+ years and no plan on stopping. Please, if you suffer from depression, give Prozac/Fluoxetine a try. It has literally saved my life. Good luck to you all."

Light of Hope (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac January 19th 2016. I ended Prozac April 19th 2017. It did nothing but horrible things for me ! I had major behavioral issues I could not control myself or my actions or thoughts . I was feeling down constantly always had issues. When I was taken off of it my behavior changed! I'm a complete different person . No suicidal thoughts nothing. Yeah I have depression here and there but I just have to get thru this on my own. I suggest you don't take this medication ."

Dd33emsss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on this medication for a few years now. I've tried Viibryd, Lexapro, Prozac, and Paxil and Prozac has worked the most efficiently. It doesn't seem to me like I'll ever find an antidepressant that makes me feel like sunshine and rainbows. It just numbs the pain really. I have major depression and while I do wonder if there are any "happy" pills that up your mood significantly, I'm too afraid to try any other antidepressant. especially after switching to Paxil. I became very depressed on Paxil"

Mer Mer June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have struggled with anxiety and depression for about 25 years. After almost dying from meningitis in 1993, post traumatic stress disorder became an issue as well. My general physician recently diagnosed me with major depression disorder as well. She is an amazing Doctor who took extra schooling for psychology and pain management. She suggested I try Prozac. I had heard so many bad and controversial things about Prozac, but decided to ignore the naysayers and try it. I've been on it about 2 weeks. Not noticing too much yet, but I am going to hang in there as I know it can take 6 to 8 weeks for full benefits. I realize I can't expect something to work right when I want it to work. it takes time. Giving it a chance. Will update."

ProzacNation468 June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a female, mid fifties. Major depression began in my late 20's."

Chailatte (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm still trying to find a medication that works for me. But this is one that the doctor prescribed me about two years ago, and I took it for very close to a year. It did not help. They kept adding more dosage until finally I quit seeing my psychiatrist altogether and stopped taking the medication."

Alan Baker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am twenty six years old and have suffered from significant depression since I was a child. For years I just dealt with it always going from one crisis to another. I've had a handful of suicide attempts starting from my early teens to young adult years. I would especially have trouble during the two weeks leading up to my period. Crying episodes and just an overall feeling of depression. I was put on Prozac about three years ago and it has made a world of difference. I'm happy again and able to function to my best ability, I'm focused and driven. Sometimes I forget to take it and the depression comes back. But as long as I'm taking my daily dose as prescribed, I'm great!"

MadiMadi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm 18 and have suffered from major anxiety and depression causing frequent panic attacks for roughly two years. I've been on Prozac for four nights now and whilst it is to early to tell if the drug will help me, I am experiencing some side effects. In the last four nights I've had about eight hours of sleep and constant head aches. On my first day I felt drowsey and unfocused and after that I think it was a combination of depression, Prozac and lack of sleep. I'm hoping these will wear off in time like I've been told but don't know if they will come back again (if they go away at all) if my GP ups my dosage from 1/2 a tablet to 1 a night. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I plan to ask my GP at my next appointment."

Insomnia101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am a male early 20s, I suffer from major depression, anxiety and occasional panic. I started Prozac 20mg and now in my 5th week of treatment. The first 2 weeks I felt no relief, suffered from side effects such as fatigue, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Beginning of the 3rd week I began to feel a noticeable difference. My thoughts became less negative, I just felt less depressed/anxious than usual, and side effects have almost gone away. Then into my 3rd/4th week I began to feel better and better each day. It seems much more gradual than other antidepressants. Now into my 5th week I do feel MUCH better. However, it is still early for me and I have had 1 set back caused by excessive alcohol/marijuana use. Overall, stick with it!"

MDA51 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication was terrible. The warning about "initial" anxiety was concerning , but I figured I would give it a go anyways. This was a horrible mistake. My anxiety was so bad that I had tremors in my arms and legs and lost 2 lbs in only 2 weeks of taking it."

Stardream February 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've tried many diffrent antidepressants over the years and never found one that worked for me. After each pregnancy my mood got worse. I couldn't get out of bed and get anything done. I never wanted to do anything outside the house. I also would yell all the time due to irritability. Prozac has made me more calm. I don't jump right to yelling cause someone was " annoying me." When you first start it, for about 3 weeks u feel weird. Spacy, clumsy and I couldn't sleep. I lost weight right away cause I wasn't eating to fill a void. Don't stop cause u feel loopy in the beginning! It has changed my life. Me and my husband are getting along better! 1 NEG I twitch. My legs arms hips will twitch when I stop moving. I take 60mg. Helps me before my period 2"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok so I love Prozac ... My doctor had me on 20 mg then he wanted to try 20mg of trintellix. I didn't really like trintellix. No side affects but I still was irritable and not focused. I also have ADHD and worry about everything. Yesterday my doctor put me back on Prozac. Yes lord. I cant wait to feel normal again. This summer that is how I felt, normal. Like, is this really what the world is like. I like it!!!!! "

Silentbeauty38 January 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Good experience with prozac"

Nikdick January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I know this is a process, but it sucks. I'm now taking 40 mg of Prozac and it literally does nothing for me. I started with Zoloft, and at least that was an appetite suppressant Both Zoloft and Prozac just make me tired, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for. My goal is to gain energy and be able to do...anything...other than sleep."

Tierna October 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Prozac in January 2016. I started out on 20mg. I noticed a positive difference in my mood (less irritable and happier) after only 1-2 weeks. After about a month I bumped up to 40 mg and things were still great. I did really great on it as far as side effects go, I had none. Things were great for 6 months and then it sort of just stopped working. my doctor bumped me up to 60mg but it did nothing. I built a tolerance for it and recently switched to trintellix. Overall, Prozac worked really great until I built a tolerance for it."

GG827 August 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I feel fantastic I feel a massive change in myself I'm less aggressive anxious depressed and agitated I'm more patient with things and people as I suffered with social anxiety I'm more outgoing and thinking clearer I feel on top of the world and have lost 13kg as my appetite has decreased rapidly"

Shellsheree August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking 450 mg Bupropion daily and was still hitting the wall. Crying, fear, anger. Had lots of therapy and been on lots of antidepressants. Felt like my life was over. Saw my dr four days ago and told her I wasn't doing well. We talked and she decided to proscribe Prozac 20 mg in addition to Bupropion. I am tolerating the side effects...no appetite, nervous feeling, sketchy stomache, head feels too big...seriously! One thing: I have less body pain. Fibro was active but less so now. That's great. I am an artist and I cannot concentrate or keep my focus. Hoping that clears up soon. Will be back to report on my progress."

Kate D (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I went on Prozac several months ago after having been severely depressed for over a year straight (with a few days here and there of hypomania). It's made a huge difference! I'm only on 20 milligrams but I am a lot less depressed and more productive than I was. The only downside is that I am still having some bad mood swings, but overall it has helped my depression a lot."

InvisibleCreeper (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was put on Fluoxetine 40mg daily due to a particularly bad bout of depression that left me unable to work or even get out of bed. That was over a year ago and it was a GODSEND. I started on 10mg and increased to 40 within a month, close to no side effects (some stomach pain), and the relief of my depression happened within the first week. After a month and a half on it I was feeling great and alive again! It was amazing! After 8 months on the medication, I decided to wean off. That went well, however anxiety started building up again. I believe my condition has now changed. I was put back on Fluoxetine 40mg but felt no relief of my anxiety whatsoever and had to add Ativan to my regimen. I am now exploring other options but it was great!"

Mynt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2016