User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"a great drug give it a try the only side effect for me is no sex drive but its worth it!"

mbb1621 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on this medication almost a year taking 60mg once a day. These are the side effects I have noticed. It seems to cause memory loss (I had a photo graphic memory) and insomnia. This may be what is causing the fatigue. I have gotten so fatigued since starting this medication that it interferes with my ability to function normally. I feel like it has also taken away my ability to truly feel my emotions. NOTHING bothers me anymore and if it does, it is for a very short time then I seem to forget it bothered me at all. This is good in someways and not in others. I now have to take other medications to counteract the side effects of this medication. Not sure what I’m going to do as far as staying on it. It has not caused weight gain for me and the side effects I listed are really the only I have noticed but they are severe and effect me on a daily basis."

Living4today March 29, 2018

"My 13 year old daughter started taking this med 4 weeks ago. Her depression is gone but she is feeling emotional numbness and suicidal thoughts. Both are considered side effects until the drug takes effect. I'm on the fence on what to do."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

"Helped with some anxiety but otherwise did nothing. Went up to 20mg and the psychiatrist told me "You need a higher dose" so we switched to fluvoxamine which is similar but can go up to 200mg."

moadej (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Similarly to big pharma's lies about drug efficacy these reviews are the same allowing only positive responses almost like white washing... Well after 8 months on prozac 20mg I had some motivation, enough to stay in the house every day and do basic things. I suppose a numbed brain is a positive, & hypersensitivity, hypomania, impulsiveness, depersonalisation. The list is endless.. This medication was not for me I tried 40mg it caused severe gastric reflux."

Rayquaza1990 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been on Fluoxetine intermittently across 7 years since aged 18. I have quit this sugar-coated poison for 2 years, enjoying the same effects benefits from Fluoxetine(Prozac) by: -Going to church( just for socialising) -Get a job that can give you a sense of satisfaction -Having intermediate degree of exercise( 90-min walk a day) -Simple jokes My best advice would be: 1. Never stay on it over 2 months, normal side effects: -Extremely thirsty(I got waked up regularly for a can of coke...) -Larger appetite (eating every 3 hrs) -Extremely hyper, talkative -Worsened memory/learning Upon quitting, you'll expect the following: -Sweaty palms -Panic attack after mid-night -Regular nightmares -Chaotic mind -Suicidal thoughts"

Rage of Star dust December 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac is my happy pill, it took me forever to find something that works, but this is definitely mine!! I was beginning to be skeptical that anything would work.. Effexor and Prestiq was what I was put on before this, and that was a nightmare... This makes me think more clearly and see things in a different perspective, I see the good in life, and I don't get so easily upset over everything anymore, and if I do get bothered by something, I get over it in seconds... Helps with my social anxiety as well.. I've noticed I'm more talkative, and can deal with being around people better, before I was so badly depressed with possible bipolar or personality disorder.. I'm finally getting to know myself as a person and am much happier now."

Blondebabe22 (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi good people. I have been on Prozac (Fluoxetine) since 2000. I started with 20 mg, then 40 & now 60mg. I am also taking Navalpro 300mg, twice a day. Prozac is the only meds that has made me function as a "normal" person after being correctly diagnosed as having major depression. When I 1st desperately looked for help, my anxiety was unbearable. Prozac killed 2 birds with 1 stone-depression & anxiety. I had a rollercoaster journey, being prescribed other antidepressants together with Prozac. I have come to accept that the benefits outweigh the side effects. However, weight gain I have not accepted & am trying my best to watch calories & move around more often -"

Vaise59 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

"My story is very long. But to get to the point, Fluoxetine is the ONLY antidepressant that helped me. Brain injury caused my problems with anxiety and depression. I was born highly sensitive to medications. I’m VERY thankful for Fluoxetine. I had some side effects in the beginning, and had to work up from 10mg to 60 over a period of a few months. That was very difficult. But, the side effects eventually did go away. I went from the deepest form of depression possible, to a very satisfactory quality of life within a few years. I still struggle with issues related to a brain injured person, but, the Fluoxetine was one of the tools that saved my life. And I’m very thankful for this medication. "

Grateful CB (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Prozac after the Cymbalta didn't seem to be working for me any longer. I started out taking 10mg per day, now I am taking 20mg per day. I had been taking the Prozac at night before going to bed but noticed I was having a lot more trouble getting to sleep. After reading the dosing information, I realized that I needed to be taking this medication in the morning. So I will start that in the morning by holding off my dose tonight. For the time that I've been taking this medication, I have not had depressive episodes that I was unable to handle and taking the depression test, it was not as high as it had been in the past. So for now, I will continue this med but just change to taking it in the morn."

Brezie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Amazing effective medicaction. Works like magic. Makes me relax and happier and enhanced my sexual drive. Very safe and I LOVE IT. Overall, this medication changed my life and enhanced everything and helped me function in a very short time that I stopped taking it."

AnonArabF (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

"Hi everyone, I have had severe depression accompanied with suicidal thoughts, since I was about 12. I'm 22 now, and sought treatment when I was 17. I tried Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Remeron, and even tried to self-medicate with Heroin. Prozac/Fluoxetine, 20mg a day, was a game changer for me. It came with no side effects, and a month into it life seemed so much brighter, and I was given my life back. If it weren't for Fluoxetine I would be dead by now. I've been taking it for 3+ years and no plan on stopping. Please, if you suffer from depression, give Prozac/Fluoxetine a try. It has literally saved my life. Good luck to you all."

Light of Hope (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac January 19th 2016. I ended Prozac April 19th 2017. It did nothing but horrible things for me ! I had major behavioral issues I could not control myself or my actions or thoughts . I was feeling down constantly always had issues. When I was taken off of it my behavior changed! I'm a complete different person . No suicidal thoughts nothing. Yeah I have depression here and there but I just have to get thru this on my own. I suggest you don't take this medication ."

Dd33emsss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on this medication for a few years now. I've tried Viibryd, Lexapro, Prozac, and Paxil and Prozac has worked the most efficiently. It doesn't seem to me like I'll ever find an antidepressant that makes me feel like sunshine and rainbows. It just numbs the pain really. I have major depression and while I do wonder if there are any "happy" pills that up your mood significantly, I'm too afraid to try any other antidepressant. especially after switching to Paxil. I became very depressed on Paxil"

Mer Mer June 21, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have struggled with anxiety and depression for about 25 years. After almost dying from meningitis in 1993, post traumatic stress disorder became an issue as well. My general physician recently diagnosed me with major depression disorder as well. She is an amazing Doctor who took extra schooling for psychology and pain management. She suggested I try Prozac. I had heard so many bad and controversial things about Prozac, but decided to ignore the naysayers and try it. I've been on it about 2 weeks. Not noticing too much yet, but I am going to hang in there as I know it can take 6 to 8 weeks for full benefits. I realize I can't expect something to work right when I want it to work. it takes time. Giving it a chance. Will update."

ProzacNation468 June 19, 2017

"I am a female, mid fifties. Major depression began in my late 20's."

Chailatte (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm still trying to find a medication that works for me. But this is one that the doctor prescribed me about two years ago, and I took it for very close to a year. It did not help. They kept adding more dosage until finally I quit seeing my psychiatrist altogether and stopped taking the medication."

Alan Baker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After years on duloxetine for major depression and degenerative osteoarthritis, a new psyche doctor had me try Effexor (terrifying effects). Bad trip. He had been having me take Prozac while I was weaning off duloxetine because it mitigates the withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine, and I felt better than I had in 10 years. After the near-suicide because of Effexor, I asked if we could just stick with Prozac but increase the dose. I prefer it because I feel like ME, not some drugged-out, flattened-emotion version of me. I still can get happy, sad, mad, chill, relaxed, etc. Many anti-depressants eliminate that ability, which I find unbearable personally. I take 20mg once per day in the morning, and it has given me my life back again."

Badkittym (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am twenty six years old and have suffered from significant depression since I was a child. For years I just dealt with it always going from one crisis to another. I've had a handful of suicide attempts starting from my early teens to young adult years. I would especially have trouble during the two weeks leading up to my period. Crying episodes and just an overall feeling of depression. I was put on Prozac about three years ago and it has made a world of difference. I'm happy again and able to function to my best ability, I'm focused and driven. Sometimes I forget to take it and the depression comes back. But as long as I'm taking my daily dose as prescribed, I'm great!"

MadiMadi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm 18 and have suffered from major anxiety and depression causing frequent panic attacks for roughly two years. I've been on Prozac for four nights now and whilst it is to early to tell if the drug will help me, I am experiencing some side effects. In the last four nights I've had about eight hours of sleep and constant head aches. On my first day I felt drowsey and unfocused and after that I think it was a combination of depression, Prozac and lack of sleep. I'm hoping these will wear off in time like I've been told but don't know if they will come back again (if they go away at all) if my GP ups my dosage from 1/2 a tablet to 1 a night. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I plan to ask my GP at my next appointment."

Insomnia101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am a male early 20s, I suffer from major depression, anxiety and occasional panic. I started Prozac 20mg and now in my 5th week of treatment. The first 2 weeks I felt no relief, suffered from side effects such as fatigue, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns. Beginning of the 3rd week I began to feel a noticeable difference. My thoughts became less negative, I just felt less depressed/anxious than usual, and side effects have almost gone away. Then into my 3rd/4th week I began to feel better and better each day. It seems much more gradual than other antidepressants. Now into my 5th week I do feel MUCH better. However, it is still early for me and I have had 1 set back caused by excessive alcohol/marijuana use. Overall, stick with it!"

MDA51 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication was terrible. The warning about "initial" anxiety was concerning , but I figured I would give it a go anyways. This was a horrible mistake. My anxiety was so bad that I had tremors in my arms and legs and lost 2 lbs in only 2 weeks of taking it."

Stardream February 16, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've tried many diffrent antidepressants over the years and never found one that worked for me. After each pregnancy my mood got worse. I couldn't get out of bed and get anything done. I never wanted to do anything outside the house. I also would yell all the time due to irritability. Prozac has made me more calm. I don't jump right to yelling cause someone was " annoying me." When you first start it, for about 3 weeks u feel weird. Spacy, clumsy and I couldn't sleep. I lost weight right away cause I wasn't eating to fill a void. Don't stop cause u feel loopy in the beginning! It has changed my life. Me and my husband are getting along better! 1 NEG I twitch. My legs arms hips will twitch when I stop moving. I take 60mg. Helps me before my period 2"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2017

"Ok so I love Prozac ... My doctor had me on 20 mg then he wanted to try 20mg of trintellix. I didn't really like trintellix. No side affects but I still was irritable and not focused. I also have ADHD and worry about everything. Yesterday my doctor put me back on Prozac. Yes lord. I cant wait to feel normal again. This summer that is how I felt, normal. Like, is this really what the world is like. I like it!!!!! "

Silentbeauty38 January 11, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Good experience with prozac"

Nikdick January 4, 2017