User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

"My mom has been trying to get me on meds for my severe anger,due to my pmdd, but I am so antimeds. Finally decided to give it a try (10mg) and it is amazing! Usually around 11 days before my period i would be a raging maniac but since taking prozac its completly subsided. Initially, I also (as someone else stated) had trouble having an orgasm so i stopped taking it. But when the anger came back I gave it another try and stuck it out and miraculously that side effect went away, YAYYY!"

Clrod (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

"Clencing of the jaw and bladder irritation are severe sideffects I have been having since starting fluoxetine, most if perimenapausal symptoms diminished however, side effects are quite severe."

Suzy b (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

"Wow... My energy and mood is completely stable. I feel completely normal- no side effects. Actually feel like I can accomplish things and am more apt to jump up and initiate something. No irritability at all. I am amazed and wished I hadn't let the bottle sit in my medicine cabinet for 2 years, fearing side effects and unwilling to swallow my pride (and a 10 mg pill). Hopefully this construes. I am very happy."

Jgroovy (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"20mg/day of fluoxetine works wonders for my PMDD. I found it to be so beneficial that I asked for a daily prescription, rather than 2 weeks per month. Only drawback was inability to orgasm, which I felt was detrimental to my physical relationship with my husband. I switched to Wellbutrin as a daily antidepressant. Found it to be very motivating and with no sexual side effects. After 6 months on Wellbutrin, though, I started to notice that my PMDD was creeping back in, and I was more irritable/snappy than before on a daily basis. Now I am experimenting with daily Wellbutrin plus 2 weeks per month of fluoxetine. Last cycle went really well. I think fluoxetine is a miracle mood stabilizer. If only it weren't for the sexual side effects!"

Meg2134 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

"Started out taking 20 mg of prozac for depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder and pre-menopause. First two weeks I had mild side effects after week 3 I feel really good. I have not had a hot flash in 6 months I was very skeptical about prozac working for menopause but as my doctor stated give it sometime before expecting results and he was absolutely correct. Who knew?"

Sassyone6085 July 1, 2016

"The best thing that has happened to me in a long time. I'm only on my second month but my PMDD symptoms have already reduced and the anxiety that I had throughout the rest of the month is pretty much gone!I feel like myself again and can't believe how much brighter everything seems. Did get flu symptoms at the beginning, dry mouth and awful nightmares but after a couple of weeks they all disappeared, I'm on 20mg."

Abigail87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"I am not a big user of pills, but I was happily surprised how well this med works. I take it 10 days prior to my period and it makes a huge difference. I started taking this at age 42 and 2 years later I am still amazed. If you are struggling with pmdd, talk to your doctor and see if this will work for you."

Oil lady (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

"I was on 20 mg for PMS and I CANT TELL YOU ENOUGH IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE ! I feel great , yes there are side effects but seriously I can deal with that. I nearly lost my husband and family due to my moods. I have only been on it for a couple of months but WOW it helped me be in control of me! "

Kay 12345 April 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on 20mg daily Fluoxetine for past 3 years for PMDD. This definitely helps me feel more normal at that time of the month. No more crying, mood swings and feeling out of control for 7 days every month. It has taken me 20+ years to get diagnosed with PMDD after seeing lots of dr's who didn't really understand. In the end i kept a diary. For 2 weeks of each month i would be fine followed by around 10 days of feeling low, irritable, moody, anxious etc. I did increase the dose to 40mg daily at one point but kept getting bruises on my thighs and itchy legs (side effect) so reduced it back to 20mg. I would definitely recommend this to anyone else suffering from PMDD."

CLR1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2016

"I have my life back now! PMDD used to make me suffer with so many symptoms and anxiety it felt like I was in a haze for many days of month and it was like clockwork each month. Now I barely notice any symptoms. It took a couple of months to see the full affect. No side effects as of yet. On 10mg daily."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 29, 2016

"I am a 50 year old woman going through Pre-Menopause. Still have it but very little. I was on prozac along time ago and then went off of it because I didnt like taking pills. Just recently had to go back on.. was affecting my work life. ( not that great anyway) But I can deal with it now that I am on it. Waiting to find another Job soon. Anyway, its really making me gain weight. I was working out for a while doing pretty good. Then ( the Job took our Gym benefit away) was a perk at one time for now almost 8 years that I have worked here. Anyway, I don't feel that I over-eat. But everyone is telling me that prozac makes you gain weight. If anyone has any ideas.? I am so tired of yo you dieting. and am thinking of meal replacements now..."

dg PMDD for most of my life. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2016

"I posted in June 2014 after being on this Rx for about 7 months. It has now been 2 years. I am still on 10mg for first week after ovulating and 20 until my period starts. I have forgotten how "bad" it use to be! I have had months (rare) when I've messed up the timing on my meds and it messed with my head a bit. I try real hard to time at the same time each day. I've also noticed that around days 3 and 4 (after my period started and being off the Rx) that it appears the remaining meds in my system have worn off and I have a day of being "sad". The kinda of sad you'd get when PMS seemed normal and you were just sad, but not depressed and anxious and out of body. But after that feel normal again."

LL_CO (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2016

"I have had PMDD since 2007 aged 27. Doc placed me on 10mg citalapram however after 5 years in my symtoms have come back - citalopram seemed to have stopped working & the anxiety came back with a vengance. I tried to increase but the side effects were just to bad. So the doc has prescribed me 10ml of liquid flx. . It's only my 2nd week and I'm 14 days into my cycle. Which is where my anxiety kicks in!! I'm hopping that the flx needs time to kick in? So far though the side effects seem OK"

posh1 January 17, 2016

"I am in control of my thoughts and emotions and that's all I can ask for ! I don't easily cry or become depressed anymore.. I don't say hateful and mean things when I'm angry... I feel mentally stable and am in a much happier place just 3 weeks in. Didn't have any side affects only think was that people asked why I've been so much happier. I recommend Prozac and never take any other kind of pills."

Prozac saved me (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2015

"I am me again my premenstual Dysphoric disorder was destroying my relationship with others and with myself. For a week to two weeks a month I had severe depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and interpreted others actions as hostile. I would feel at times like breaking up with my boyfriend leaving my family and job and saying f u to life. This is the second time I have taken fluoxetine over long periods of time. Last time I stopped cold turkey (many years ago) thinking I was cured of my PDD. However over the years it worsened until I lived in fear of it. Now I really see understand and feel grateful for the effects of fluox. I feel I am clear, in control, calm and me again. It has improved my relationship with everyone. The side effect -breast growth! WIN!!!!!"

Toastthedog (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

"This has literally changed my life. I was depressed, angry, anxious and didn't like myself very much. I could not stop my angry comments or pick myself up except for the children. Now I feel like I did 20 years ago. Happy, grateful for my lovely husband, enjoying socialising again. I wish I had taken it years ago."

Nomorecrazylady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

"This has helped me feel like me again and I wouldn't normally write on these forums. I have had increasingly bad pmt through 30's and my 40's and this is the only thing that helps. Calmer...happier more energy..more resilience. Less irritation with loved ones but also more assertive when I need to be. Only slight side effect wad morning sweats which have worn off now. I don't ever want this to stop."

frine June 21, 2015

"Taking for 2 mths. I have had some side effects...in the beginning just overall weird feeling, exhaustion, wake up feeling like I hadn't slept, dry mouth, headaches, at the one month mark I started getting bad indigestion (now I take an acid reducer pill and half glass of milk). But they almost all have gone away and now I feel great! The anger, the negative thinking, the impulsive verbal reactions, the depression, the anxiety...all gone. This was hugely affecting my relationship (he almost walked away) and work life too. My relationship is now in the best place ever and I am happy going in to work. The little things do not bother me like they did before. I do not have blunted feelings and I have not lost my sex drive! Hang in there!"

FeelingBetterNow (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2015

"I was prescribed Fluoxetine 20mg for 2 weeks of the month and it has changed my life. The first week I had some nasty side effects - kept waking at night, nightmares, nausea, generally spaced out and tired - but also some more welcome ones - loss of appetite and really wanted to exercise. I barely noticed my period coming that first month. For the first time in as long as I could remember I didn't hate everyone or want to cry, and I was able to have normal social encounters without complete paranoia setting in! It was like I had got my old self back. 9 months in now, I am quite happily still taking them. Definitely worth trying if you do get really bad PMS."

Worthatry May 19, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After suffering for some time with PMT I decided I couldn't continue the way I was as it was interfering with my personal life aswel as my work life. I spoke to my GP who offered me some different options, Prozac being one of them. At that point I felt I couldn't carry on the way I was so gave Prozac a try. I've been on it for around 6 weeks now and already feel 'normal' again. I don't feel anxious or hate myself. It seems to have cleared my thoughts. It's still early but it's definatly helped me get back to my old self."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "A renowned medication to help PMDD, but barely helped me. Helped with my anxiety and depression quite well (despite lack of emotion), but always got hormonal monthly, which was confusing. It actually made some symptoms worse. On Lexapro now, so hopefully that helps!"

Danika2602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I have suffered from PMS or PMDD most of my life. It was such a horrible experience for me that I would have crying spells; have arguments with people; I would shut down at work or would have to take at least 1 day off during the week of my period. I tried several different birth controls but they didn't work so I finally asked for Prozac after hearing it did wonders for a co worker. Ive been on it one month; my cycle came on today (TMI) and I still feel great! I can't believe it!!"

ZC April 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Where do I begin....wow this medicine has really given me my life back! I truly felt like I was loosing my mind before I started taking this. I am in my late 30's, and for the past couple years I have tried several other medications for my severe mood swings (PMS). Being a mother of 3, with a husband, and working as a full time critical care nurse, I needed my life back!! My doctor said she had been going back to the "old faithful" Prozac for a lot of her patients. And boy am I glad I finally tried this one! I haven't had any of the crazy side effects I was scared of, and I feel calmer, happier, and not so socially awkward. I'm only on 20mg, but I feel wonderful with this."

Nurse76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am 22 and have been taking prozac for almost two months now. Before I started taking it, my life was a wreck. There were only two weeks out of every month when I felt semi-normal/happy. The rest of the time, I was miserable. I would lay in my bed and cry, thinking my life was ending for no reason. There was nothing bad happening in my life, but my mind would make me think everyone hated me and that I was disgusting. I was overemotional all the time and constantly to torturing myself with sad thoughts. I put off going to see a psychiatrist for so long because of the stigma. I regret it so much. Had I gone on this medication sooner, so many of my relationships could have been saved and I could have been truly enjoying my life."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2015

"This medicine is life changing. Was always so angry around getting my period. Mood swings, crazy thoughts, like wanting to leave my husband for no reason. It saved my marriage, so much happier now. It's a blessing."

Hilifechanged (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2015