User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Also known as: PROzac, PROzac Weekly, Sarafem, Rapiflux, Selfemra, PROzac Pulvules

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 44 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm 27 and I suffer severe PMDD, rage, mood swings, irritability, depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety. I decided one day, when I was PMSing severely; punching things, crying and breaking things, it was time to try meds. Long story short, I gave prozac a shot. It was great for a few months. I stopped crying, I was calm, anxiety has been to a minimum. Well it's been about 4 months and I'm now weaning off my meds because of the side effects. I can deal with excessive yawning, but now I am breaking out on my inner elbow, the back of my legs, my ears and neck, my chest feels heavy. One day I had horrible pain in my chest and throat like I was having a heart attack. I have no allergies, I don't smoke, I eat healthy, I sleep well, etc. the meds stopped working, I suffered PMDD this month as if I wasn't even on medication. I am going to look into herbs and natural remedies"

Tot March 4, 2019

"I was having horrible PMS, starting with hot flashes , some anxiety, all because of being perimenopausal . Doctor put me on 20 mg. Now side effects include headache which I had EVERYDAY FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS. If you stay with it they do go away after two weeks , I promise . Now my PMS is basically gone , hot flashes much much better , and no anxiety. Plus I don’t eat a lot now and lost some weight. Plus I’m not irritated by every little thing anymore . Only down side is you really don't wanna do anything . I don't wanna clean ( which of course is necesssary). You are really just very content to watch a movie or just chill ."

Sabo February 25, 2019

"I was having the worst irritability with my PMS, especially on the 7th or 10th day before my period started. Felt like I was being a terrible monad wife, just felt so angry and grouchy. Thank God my doc helped me by giving me prozac for the symptoms. My irritability disappeared, and when she followed up with me I said, "I can't believe how nice I am!", which is kind of depressing in itself but it illustrates how terrible I felt before. No more grouchiness with my poor kids. I have been able to lower my dosage to 10 mg, starting 10 days before my period. Feel so great, like a dark cloud has been lifted and I do not dread PMS anymore. I am writing this to encourage other women out there to try this if you are having "crazy days" before your period! BTW, I did feel some nervousness as a side effect when I first started taking it... was at 20 mg per day, but that has all but gone away. Oh yeah, and it has also helped with my premenstrual headaches."

busy mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2019

"I'm 49 and have been suffering from PMDD since I was 20. I have destroyed every relationship I have ever been in. I turn into an absolute monster for a week every month. I say the most destructive things possible to the people I love the most. 11 years ago my gynecologist diagnosed me with PMDD. At that time she gave me Zoloft, but it didn't really help, so I stopped. 8 years have gone by, it has not gotten any better. I've been engaged now for a year and a 1/2 to an amazing man. I told him I have PMDD. He asked me to talk to my new gynecologist about it. She prescribed Fluoxetine, 20 mg, for 14 days before my period. Been taking it 2 mo. now. I started taking 10 mg the 1st few days and then started taking the whole pill, 20 mg. I have not had an outburst since I started taking it! even my daughter, who is now 12, said mom, "why you so calm all the time now?" Lol. This is the best thing that has ever happened to me I wish someone would have given this to me 20 years ago!"

GFriend December 27, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on 20 mg of prozac for about 3 months now. It has really worked for me. I don't have suicidal thoughts anymore and overall feel more functional. I was very anti-psychiatric drugs before taking them myself but it has really worked in a way that nothing else has. I took 5-HTP, GABA and tryptophan before the prozac and these all helped a lot, but I still felt extremely depressed around my menstrual cycle. Prozac has stopped that. Side effects are that I get hot more easily, sometimes have nausea and trouble staying asleep through the whole night but they are completely worth it to me."

Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2018

"I was given 20mg to take and my anxiety was so bad I was scared to take it eventually my doctor gave me 10mg. I took it for PMDD and anxiety and I was also depressed. I was signed off work and the first 2 weeks were awful, I was so spaced out and had absolutely no sex drive. I had no appetite and my first period I was so angry! Fast forward to week 7 and I was driving with no panic attacks, back at work, socialising and had no depression! I am now on week 11 and I still need to work on some stuff but the difference is unbelievable. I hardly noticed my last period! I was meant to take day 14 of my cycle for 2 weeks but agreed to take 10mg daily as it was helping my anxiety. I recommend that people don't give up on this tablet it's definitely worth the rough ride! By no means am I 110% yet but the difference is huge, so far I have lost 5lbs and it hasn't went back on so hopefully it stays that way. I can also drink alcohol with no issues"

Rey (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2018

"I have overeating, irritability, depression/anxiety, argumentative, crying spells, and suicidal idealizations. It is a horrible feeling to constantly fight and ruin my relationships, work (coworkers/supervisors), friends, and self destructive. I knew that I have problem and always wanted to be medicated. I finally got my hands on prozac 20mg. The first pill, I already felt the difference! I was irritable and hungry which are the first signs of my PMDD. The 20mg was too strong when I took it the first day, I had a slight head ache. Now I take 10mg daily for the next 2 weeks. It is the most fantastic medications. It is only day 4 and I have to tell you that I never been this happy and optimistic for many years! It really a life saver. I also suffer from anxiety and OCD. But my main concern is PMDD since it also affect the people I am around. There is a solution!"

CSC October 11, 2018

"I have the worst PMDD. Over 15 years of this wackiness. I have been on and off since I was a teen. I'm now 30 and a mom. After my first born I was gone full of rage and depressed more then ever. I went back on Prozac was told it was safe while I was pregnant. Then my daughter had ADHD AND ODD (Oppositional defiant disorder). I GAINED OVER 80 LB. I've always been a small girl growing up max 130lb height 5"11. I was up to 250lb and decided to stop taking it. My life felt like I was over so then I took it again. And now I swear it isn't helping me at all. PMDD has been such a burden on my life. I just wanna be normal."

May (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2018

"I have been suffering for years, affecting many relationships. After my 2nd baby, I quit breastfeeding my cycle regulated, PMDD was in full throttle. During the leutal phase I turn in to a crazy women. The anger and the rage was uncontrollable for me. Over a few cycles it gradually got so bad that I knew something was wrong. I went to the Dr who referred me to physchiatrist and I was diagnosed with PMDD. He prescribed me Prozac which I was skeptical to take especially when I’m not suffering with depression. Dr explained Prozac is not just antidepressant but for other illnesses like this condition too. I take 20mg pill for 10 days before my period. I waited until the first sign appeared (usually argue with hubby). OMG - this is life changing for me. I could see again, there is no fog , I am calm and rational. This medication was instant relief. This cycle I’ve had ZERO outbursts and no other symptoms including no cravings for chocolate and I’ve got energy back! It’s amazing!"

PMDDMadness (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

"A lifesaver! I didn’t “believe” in PMS/PMDD until it started happening to me. It took me years to recognize it, but when everything was going great in my life and was under low stress, it was easier to recognize that my crying and my feelings of hopelessness were not justified. My gyn had me chart my symptoms on a graph and the PMS pattern became evident. I was very resistant to taking any medication and tried all the other remedies first with no luck. Then tried fluoxetine at just 10mg/day for only the 10 days prior to my periods. WHAT A WONDERFUL CHANGE! No more weird crying spells for no reason, no more angry outbursts, I was my normal self all the days of the month. No negative side effects that I know of and I took it for years. During perimenopause, started to have crying spells and went to 20mg every day. Now in full menopause and weaned myself down and off of it and don’t seem to need it now. It was not working to control hot flashes, but for PMS/PMDD, it was WONDERFUL!"

Anne (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2018

"I wasn’t sure if I had PMDD or whether it was anxiety and depression being made worse by my hormones each month. I made a chart / diary going back four months and showed my doc. It was clear that most months my symptoms were happening a week leading up to my period and a few days during ovulation. My doctor wanted me to take 10-20mg but I’d read a study which said taking just 2mg had a good effect on PMDD. My doctor agreed it was a good idea to try this first and it has actually worked! It worked immediately which is another sign it’s PMDD. This month I didn’t even see my period coming. Usually I get very anxious and depressed but this month has been amazing. I take the liquid form so 2mg = 0.5ml. Apparently it helps regulate the Allo Pregnenolone steroid which comes from progesterone. I really hope things stay this good and my husband is VERY relieved too! Im now wondering whether to take it every morning or just the week before."

Clairey (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "My Dr told me to take this to ease premenstrual syndrome - one week before my period - the second time I used it I felt very strange - I couldn't stop crying I called my Dr and broke down in her office. Before this I had not spoken more then a few sentences to her, she got upset with me and told me to see a shrink who put me on Prozac 3 weeks of use and I had a manic episode and was informed I had become chemically bi polar and that SSRIs can cause this to happen. It took 2 years to feel ok again"

Lizzzzz (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "After years of suffering I decided to try mess again for my PMDD. Zoloft made me feel like a zombie and my body had many side effects to Prozac. I had electric shocks in my brain, paranoia which I don't normally have, feeling out of it/forgetful, anxious, dry eyes, moody, thought people were plotting against me and my depression got worse. On top of all that I went from being 5' 11 and 155 pounds to weighing 195lb in ONE month without changing my eating habits!! My doc convinced me to give it some time for the med to work so stayed on it for 3 months-wish I quit sooner. I have now been off of it since Feb but still feel slight effects of the Prozac. Eventually Wellbutrin ended up helping me tremendously so I have stayed on that."

Susanlo December 3, 2017

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I have suffered from PMDD for many years. Exactly two weeks prior to my period I would notice a change in the way I felt. I would become very depressed and anxious. I would cry for no reason and have little patience with everyone around me. After suffering for many years and trying two antidepressants that gave me bad side effects my doctor recommended serafem. This is only my second month and I only take it 14 days prior to menses but I feel a big difference. I don't feel as anxious and I'm not crying at every little thing. This pill has limited my PMDD symptoms drastically. I highly recommend for PMDD sufferers."

JS01 August 29, 2017

"I'm 18 and I had horrible PMDD from the first time I got my period. Depression, suicidal, panic attacks, uncontrollable anger. For two weeks my life would stop, I'd take off from school and work and sit in my room for days on end. I went on fluxotene 20mg when I was 17 and it has changed my life! I've suffered from a lot of mood swings and outbursts typical of a teenager, but mine were so out of control. Fluxotine has allowed me to take control of my life and be the best person I can be. No negative side effects besides some sleeplessness when starting the drug."

Jthejetplane August 20, 2017

"For the last 4 years my PMT has lasted 2 weeks of the month. Common symptoms fatigue, anxiety, no motivation, depression and anger/rage. Screaming at my little boy. (This wasn't the sort of mum I was going to be!!). Took a while to persuade my Dr to let me try this. I take 20mgs from day 15 of my cycle for 14 days and I feel like a different person. Mostly the rage has gone. I feel like me again. It takes about 2 doses to kick in so I usually start taking it on day 13. Only side effects was indigestion so I don't take it before bed. Wish I'd known about it years ago."

Chook10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2017

"I have been taking 10 MG daily for just over 3 weeks now. My doctor said it usually takes 4-6 weeks to work, but I swear I started feeling better after only TWO doses! At first it made me feel lazy but that is going away now. I usually have a bit of anxiety and depression all month long, but I am legitimately emotionally unstable and mentally INSANE right before and during my period. In the past three weeks since being on this medicine, I have had a few small bouts of depression but I haven't felt any "deep emotional pain" like I usually do. My feelings of intense desperation and loneliness are gone! I did get angry at my mother a few days ago, but I was able to calm down MUCH faster than I normally would. I hope this continues to help!"

PhillyLady (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

"For the past several months I've had horrible PMS symptoms that last for two weeks out of every month. Anxiety, depression, fatigue, mood swings, crying fits, migraines. I would throw things across the room and scream at my fiance'. My doctor prescribed me 10mg/day of fluoxetine. I've tried many different antidepressants in the past with no luck, so I had low hopes that this would help. I'm so glad I tried this! I've been on this for five weeks and the only side effects are it takes me longer to have an orgasm, and my blood pressure is slightly lower. I had no PMS symptoms this month other than being slightly more tired. I feel like my stable, happy self again with no more horrible PMDD."

HollyBerry1891 July 12, 2017

"I'm 51 and premenopausal- for a few days each month around ovulation, I'd go from my normal self to an "Eeyore" state....the smallest things could set me off into an increasingly downward spiral of depression. When I finally told my amazing doctor about this, he explained that if it was truly PMDD and menopausal related, a very very small dose of Prozac for just a few days per month would help the problem tremendously. If it was actual depression, it would not work so well or so quickly. He was absolutely right! I am only using 5 mg, which is a dose so small that I have to get a 10 mg pill and break it in half. I take it for approx 3 days. It's critical that I take it at the very first sign of that depression before it is able to take root."

Perimenopause w/catamenial (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2017

"At age forty I started screaming at my kids and my husband was so irritating during my cycle. I can laughingly say I wanted to kill people because I know I wouldn't ever hurt anyone. But man I started screaming my head off at my family. So bad in fact that I started locking myself in my bedroom during "that time. " For days. My doctor prescribed Fluoxetine 10mg 1 by mouth every day for 7 days before the onset of my period. I no longer scream at my kids or feel like strangling my husband. YAAAY. Been about 6 months, no side effects that I've noticed."

Wendiworm March 12, 2017

"Take one 60mg dosage of Prozac around cycle day 13-14. Just one dose of the 60mg has effectively helped me with my severe PMDD symptoms."

D Duck March 3, 2017

"I have been on 20mg for four weeks so far. I am not really sure how I should be feeling. I went for recheck yesterday to see if any improvement. Since I've only had one cycle since it's hard to tell if working. Asked my husband to monitor my moods this month with me to see if it's working. Did anyone else take this long to kick in? My dr said by week 2 I would have noticed."

MyLife123 March 2, 2017

"Starting it I had a bad headache for about 8 days. On day 3, I contemplated stopping, I felt unfeeling, like I wasn't myself, but stuck with it. Those feelings passed as well as the headache. I didn't feel any symptoms of PPMD the first 3 months. After that, I would say I feel 80% better during my episodes. I fear it will get worse each month, but it is tolerable. I feel that dark cloud want to return, but it never gets too bad. Will be asking my doctor if I may need a bump up in dose from my starting dose. So glad this medication has evened me out."

Momoffourboys188 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2017

"So I was previously on citalopram and it reduced my depression but made my pmdd more noticable. A psychiatrist recommended prozac as citalopram is not effective for pmdd. The month that they weaned me off citalopram and onto prozac was HELL. Now I'm fully taking prozac at 40mg it is working already, I have more energy and can get up and do things more often. I've not had a period on my full dose of prozac yet so I'm not sure how it will work then, but from what I feel now, I think it will be great. Side effect: I have incredibly vivid and unpleasant dreams (but had that on citalopram at first) and they are so vivid I often confuse them with real life momentarily. I also have bruised and itchy legs."

KatyC25 January 9, 2017

"Hi .. First of all I am a woman who didn't believe in any antidepressants ever! Then came the dreaded monster I call menopause (well for me it was tough) not all woman have it so BAD. Anyways I met with my Dr. and told her everything that I felt and she prescribe 20 of prozac. I came home saying to myself gee I cant take this - I heard so much negative things back in the 80's in high school ..? Then I said well its either giving it a try and hope for the best, or lose my Husband of 20 yrs and cry more.. So I took a pill that same afternoon and wow I can say it took about 3 weeks before major difference butI am thankful everyday and night as I am so much happier."

Cynderellacyn December 19, 2016