User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Sarafem (fluoxetine): "I have suffered from PMDD for many years. Exactly two weeks prior to my period I would notice a change in the way I felt. I would become very depressed and anxious. I would cry for no reason and have little patience with everyone around me. After suffering for many years and trying two antidepressants that gave me bad side effects my doctor recommended serafem. This is only my second month and I only take it 14 days prior to menses but I feel a big difference. I don't feel as anxious and I'm not crying at every little thing. This pill has limited my PMDD symptoms drastically. I highly recommend for PMDD sufferers."

JS01 August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18 and I had horrible PMDD from the first time I got my period. Depression, suicidal, panic attacks, uncontrollable anger. For two weeks my life would stop, I'd take off from school and work and sit in my room for days on end. I went on fluxotene 20mg when I was 17 and it has changed my life! I've suffered from a lot of mood swings and outbursts typical of a teenager, but mine were so out of control. Fluxotine has allowed me to take control of my life and be the best person I can be. No negative side effects besides some sleeplessness when starting the drug."

Jthejetplane August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the last 4 years my PMT has lasted 2 weeks of the month. Common symptoms fatigue, anxiety, no motivation, depression and anger/rage. Screaming at my little boy. (This wasn't the sort of mum I was going to be!!). Took a while to persuade my Dr to let me try this. I take 20mgs from day 15 of my cycle for 14 days and I feel like a different person. Mostly the rage has gone. I feel like me again. It takes about 2 doses to kick in so I usually start taking it on day 13. Only side effects was indigestion so I don't take it before bed. Wish I'd known about it years ago."

Chook10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 10 MG daily for just over 3 weeks now. My doctor said it usually takes 4-6 weeks to work, but I swear I started feeling better after only TWO doses! At first it made me feel lazy but that is going away now. I usually have a bit of anxiety and depression all month long, but I am legitimately emotionally unstable and mentally INSANE right before and during my period. In the past three weeks since being on this medicine, I have had a few small bouts of depression but I haven't felt any "deep emotional pain" like I usually do. My feelings of intense desperation and loneliness are gone! I did get angry at my mother a few days ago, but I was able to calm down MUCH faster than I normally would. I hope this continues to help!"

PhillyLady (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the past several months I've had horrible PMS symptoms that last for two weeks out of every month. Anxiety, depression, fatigue, mood swings, crying fits, migraines. I would throw things across the room and scream at my fiance'. My doctor prescribed me 10mg/day of fluoxetine. I've tried many different antidepressants in the past with no luck, so I had low hopes that this would help. I'm so glad I tried this! I've been on this for five weeks and the only side effects are it takes me longer to have an orgasm, and my blood pressure is slightly lower. I had no PMS symptoms this month other than being slightly more tired. I feel like my stable, happy self again with no more horrible PMDD."

HollyBerry1891 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 51 and premenopausal- for a few days each month around ovulation, I'd go from my normal self to an "Eeyore" state....the smallest things could set me off into an increasingly downward spiral of depression. When I finally told my amazing doctor about this, he explained that if it was truly PMDD and menopausal related, a very very small dose of Prozac for just a few days per month would help the problem tremendously. If it was actual depression, it would not work so well or so quickly. He was absolutely right! I am only using 5 mg, which is a dose so small that I have to get a 10 mg pill and break it in half. I take it for approx 3 days. It's critical that I take it at the very first sign of that depression before it is able to take root."

Perimenopause w/catamenial (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At age forty I started screaming at my kids and my husband was so irritating during my cycle. I can laughingly say I wanted to kill people because I know I wouldn't ever hurt anyone. But man I started screaming my head off at my family. So bad in fact that I started locking myself in my bedroom during "that time. " For days. My doctor prescribed Fluoxetine 10mg 1 by mouth every day for 7 days before the onset of my period. I no longer scream at my kids or feel like strangling my husband. YAAAY. Been about 6 months, no side effects that I've noticed."

Wendiworm March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Take one 60mg dosage of Prozac around cycle day 13-14. Just one dose of the 60mg has effectively helped me with my severe PMDD symptoms."

D Duck March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 20mg for four weeks so far. I am not really sure how I should be feeling. I went for recheck yesterday to see if any improvement. Since I've only had one cycle since it's hard to tell if working. Asked my husband to monitor my moods this month with me to see if it's working. Did anyone else take this long to kick in? My dr said by week 2 I would have noticed."

MyLife123 March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Starting it I had a bad headache for about 8 days. On day 3, I contemplated stopping, I felt unfeeling, like I wasn't myself, but stuck with it. Those feelings passed as well as the headache. I didn't feel any symptoms of PPMD the first 3 months. After that, I would say I feel 80% better during my episodes. I fear it will get worse each month, but it is tolerable. I feel that dark cloud want to return, but it never gets too bad. Will be asking my doctor if I may need a bump up in dose from my starting dose. So glad this medication has evened me out."

Momoffourboys188 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I was previously on citalopram and it reduced my depression but made my pmdd more noticable. A psychiatrist recommended prozac as citalopram is not effective for pmdd. The month that they weaned me off citalopram and onto prozac was HELL. Now I'm fully taking prozac at 40mg it is working already, I have more energy and can get up and do things more often. I've not had a period on my full dose of prozac yet so I'm not sure how it will work then, but from what I feel now, I think it will be great. Side effect: I have incredibly vivid and unpleasant dreams (but had that on citalopram at first) and they are so vivid I often confuse them with real life momentarily. I also have bruised and itchy legs."

KatyC25 January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi .. First of all I am a woman who didn't believe in any antidepressants ever! Then came the dreaded monster I call menopause (well for me it was tough) not all woman have it so BAD. Anyways I met with my Dr. and told her everything that I felt and she prescribe 20 of prozac. I came home saying to myself gee I cant take this - I heard so much negative things back in the 80's in high school ..? Then I said well its either giving it a try and hope for the best, or lose my Husband of 20 yrs and cry more.. So I took a pill that same afternoon and wow I can say it took about 3 weeks before major difference butI am thankful everyday and night as I am so much happier."

Cynderellacyn December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I wonder how others are finding taking prozac for only two weeks in their cycle? I have been taking it in tiny doses; Wednesday 20mg and Saturday 20mg throughout my cycle. It takes the edge off, but last month wasn't enough. I was considering taking it, as stated, everyday for those two weeks prior but was worried about side effects following those two weeks. I don't want to take it every day as I have side effects that my husband doesn't like! My PMT became severe after stopping breastfeeding. It was so odd, it worsened each year following. Six years later (and approaching 40) it gets worse. I have also heard that low carbohydrate diets help, something to do with the effect of insulin on oestrogen...."

Pmt (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered PMDD that came on exactly day 14 of my cycle. For another 12 days I would be incredibly irritable, teary, depressed, high anxiety and ruining the relationships around me. I also couldn't study and struggled often to get to work or to even drive myself home from my boyfriends. I started antidepressants but then freaked out and stopped, then actively tried other options for a whole year before trying them again and coming to terms with the fact it was probably my best option. I wasn't expecting them to work the way they have, I just feel like a normal human and like my personality is back. I can function and I have enjoyment in life that I didn't before. Haven't really experienced any side effects either."

Larni (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mom has been trying to get me on meds for my severe anger,due to my pmdd, but I am so antimeds. Finally decided to give it a try (10mg) and it is amazing! Usually around 11 days before my period i would be a raging maniac but since taking prozac its completly subsided. Initially, I also (as someone else stated) had trouble having an orgasm so i stopped taking it. But when the anger came back I gave it another try and stuck it out and miraculously that side effect went away, YAYYY!"

Clrod (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Clencing of the jaw and bladder irritation are severe sideffects I have been having since starting fluoxetine, most if perimenapausal symptoms diminished however, side effects are quite severe."

Suzy b (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow... My energy and mood is completely stable. I feel completely normal- no side effects. Actually feel like I can accomplish things and am more apt to jump up and initiate something. No irritability at all. I am amazed and wished I hadn't let the bottle sit in my medicine cabinet for 2 years, fearing side effects and unwilling to swallow my pride (and a 10 mg pill). Hopefully this construes. I am very happy."

Jgroovy (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"20mg/day of fluoxetine works wonders for my PMDD. I found it to be so beneficial that I asked for a daily prescription, rather than 2 weeks per month. Only drawback was inability to orgasm, which I felt was detrimental to my physical relationship with my husband. I switched to Wellbutrin as a daily antidepressant. Found it to be very motivating and with no sexual side effects. After 6 months on Wellbutrin, though, I started to notice that my PMDD was creeping back in, and I was more irritable/snappy than before on a daily basis. Now I am experimenting with daily Wellbutrin plus 2 weeks per month of fluoxetine. Last cycle went really well. I think fluoxetine is a miracle mood stabilizer. If only it weren't for the sexual side effects!"

Meg2134 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started out taking 20 mg of prozac for depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder and pre-menopause. First two weeks I had mild side effects after week 3 I feel really good. I have not had a hot flash in 6 months I was very skeptical about prozac working for menopause but as my doctor stated give it sometime before expecting results and he was absolutely correct. Who knew?"

Sassyone6085 July 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The best thing that has happened to me in a long time. I'm only on my second month but my PMDD symptoms have already reduced and the anxiety that I had throughout the rest of the month is pretty much gone!I feel like myself again and can't believe how much brighter everything seems. Did get flu symptoms at the beginning, dry mouth and awful nightmares but after a couple of weeks they all disappeared, I'm on 20mg."

Abigail87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am not a big user of pills, but I was happily surprised how well this med works. I take it 10 days prior to my period and it makes a huge difference. I started taking this at age 42 and 2 years later I am still amazed. If you are struggling with pmdd, talk to your doctor and see if this will work for you."

Oil lady (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 20 mg for PMS and I CANT TELL YOU ENOUGH IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE ! I feel great , yes there are side effects but seriously I can deal with that. I nearly lost my husband and family due to my moods. I have only been on it for a couple of months but WOW it helped me be in control of me! "

Kay 12345 April 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on 20mg daily Fluoxetine for past 3 years for PMDD. This definitely helps me feel more normal at that time of the month. No more crying, mood swings and feeling out of control for 7 days every month. It has taken me 20+ years to get diagnosed with PMDD after seeing lots of dr's who didn't really understand. In the end i kept a diary. For 2 weeks of each month i would be fine followed by around 10 days of feeling low, irritable, moody, anxious etc. I did increase the dose to 40mg daily at one point but kept getting bruises on my thighs and itchy legs (side effect) so reduced it back to 20mg. I would definitely recommend this to anyone else suffering from PMDD."

CLR1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have my life back now! PMDD used to make me suffer with so many symptoms and anxiety it felt like I was in a haze for many days of month and it was like clockwork each month. Now I barely notice any symptoms. It took a couple of months to see the full affect. No side effects as of yet. On 10mg daily."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 50 year old woman going through Pre-Menopause. Still have it but very little. I was on prozac along time ago and then went off of it because I didnt like taking pills. Just recently had to go back on.. was affecting my work life. ( not that great anyway) But I can deal with it now that I am on it. Waiting to find another Job soon. Anyway, its really making me gain weight. I was working out for a while doing pretty good. Then ( the Job took our Gym benefit away) was a perk at one time for now almost 8 years that I have worked here. Anyway, I don't feel that I over-eat. But everyone is telling me that prozac makes you gain weight. If anyone has any ideas.? I am so tired of yo you dieting. and am thinking of meal replacements now..."

dg PMDD for most of my life. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2016