User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Bulimia

Also known as: Prozac

Fluoxetine has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings for the treatment of Bulimia. 83% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Bulimia.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Baby12344 · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I’ve been struggling with bulimia for the last 6 years and after being hospitalized for I decided I was done with my life being consumed by food. I started on 10mg of Prozac about two weeks ago and my dose has been upped to 20mg. I’ve relapsed only once and even then I was able to stop myself from continuing as I would throughout a usual relapse day. I can finally listen to music again, hangout with my friends, eat meals, I feel like I have my life back, I feel like myself again. It is a little early to tell 100% if this med has worked for me but so far I’m amazed with how much it’s done. I do still have a little bit of anxiety here and there but my doctor said to give it a couple more weeks. So far I’m really happy with my experience with Prozac!”

Z · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2020

“3/3... so I went back down to 40mg. This seemed to be the best dose for me with hindsight. I tried going back down to 20mg but within two weeks I was making myself sick on a daily basis again. In the end I decided to stop the 40mg cold turkey due to an unrelated health situation. This was two weeks ago, and although I am feeling a bit blue today (the two week thing), it has actually been pretty easy so far. I had always been fairly anti medication, but if your are like me and bulimia was controlling your life, I can highly recommend it. Trust that the initial side affects pass. It made me feel less guilty too - there clearly was something not quite right with my brain chemistry following various traumatic experiences, and fluoxetine helped to set me on the right track. Good luck to everyone also struggling with bulimia - I know it will always be a part of my life, but we can beat it, and if in the future I need to come back to fluoxetine for a bit of help again than do be it.”

Z · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2020

“Having suffered from bulimia in secret for 5 year I finally decided to get help. I admitted to anxiety to my doctor but didn’t reveal the bulimia. As expected I scored highly on the anxiety scale, but my depression score was ok. He put me onto sertraline and my goodness- it was the worst couple of days ever - literally felt so awful - sick, shaking. I stopped immediately and decided medication was not for me. A couple of months later I was honest with my doctor and had done a bit more research. Thank goodness I had - he suggested few other antidepressants, but didn’t seem to be aware of the success of fluoxetine in treating bulimia. He looked it up in front of me at my suggestion, and I began with fluoxetine. ...”

Proprozac · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2020

Prozac (fluoxetine): “This drug saved my life. 5 months ago I started on 20mg of Prozac, this helped manage the binge cravings but I relapsed a few times throughout that period. After upping the dosage to 40mg I have not relapsed for 3 months and 16 days. This is after a devastating secret battle with bulimia of seven years. I have now upped the dosage to 60mg to manage a hair pulling disorder but my obsession around foods and eating beyond my needs are truly a thing of the past. I am so grateful for this drug. Please combine with an app that will track your relapse dates for awareness but also celebrate as you hit weekly, monthly and hopefully yearly ‘milestones’. Sending everybody love who needs it.”

Karni July 8, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Before I started taking this drug I gave myself anxiety reading bad reviews. I never really allowed myself to believe I was depressed because there were always people who “had it worse”. I never allowed myself to believe that my seven years of bulimia and anorexia were a problem. When I became depressed again this year, after years of fighting I decided to take the plunge. I was prescribed 20mg and went up to 60mg in three months and have stayed here for the last four months. It was within two months that my friends noticed a difference in my personality. I was happy. I laughed. I felt confident in myself for the first time in a decade. I am lighter. Prozac, for me, has saved my life. Yes, I also eat healthier and go to therapy and try to meditate - but without this medication I don’t know where or who I would be. I lost myself for many years and I found myself again thanks to this medication. If your doctor has prescribed it, trust that advice and trust this review.”

prozac saved my life · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 12, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I would not be alive today if not for Prozac. I was throwing up 5 times a day and so desperately unhappy I often thought of suicide. I escaped an abusive childhood only to move on to the living hell that is bulimia. Within two weeks of Prozac my all consuming thoughts about food, weight & throwing up diminished and I started focusing on my future, college and doing something other than throwing up all day. I weaned myself off of it after about 2 years of being bulimia free. I was bulimic for 13 years and haven't thrown up now in 15 years (except for the flu). Please try it for bulimia, no negative side effects that I remember.”

junko May 18, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): “So I've been on 20mg Fluoxetine for three Weeks, and I never thought I'd ever go a day without binging again/purging. I feel happier, my relationship is so much better. I can go to family BBQs and focus on them and not the plentiful food. Some cons are: delayed or nonexistent orgasm, low libido, yawning. How I look at it is I was much to depressed, hating myself, and bloated from bulimia to want to have sex anyway! At least now I feel much better in my own skin, and I'm so rarely bloated, when before I couldn't remember the last time I wasn't bloated. I was insecure in EVERY situation and in all clothing. I suffered for a long time,and to see how much relief I've gotten from just 20Mg of this tiny pill is a miracle.”

Anonymous June 17, 2008

Prozac (fluoxetine): “This has made such a difference to my life. It is like the "voice" that continues to tell me I am too fat and that all the "bad" things in life would be better if only I were thinner, has weakened. It is still there but I don't have to listen, if fact I can even ignore it. What a relief. It has made me realize just how much time I was spending listening to all the negative thoughts, planning the food, covering up the vomiting. I finally feel "normal" what a relief.”

Oddmolly October 16, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I have suffered Bulimia for about 10 years and at different stages was binging/purging up to 5 times a day. Over the years I have tried so many medications, but Prozac is the first to really assist. I started on 20mg, which has recently increased to 40mg. This is the only medicine/therapy that has dramatically decreased my impulse to binge/purge. I am feeling so happy within myself and it has really assisted with my depression and low energy levels too. One odd side effect I have noted is that I am yawning a lot, a small price to pay to being in control of my eating and mood. This is definitely worth a try if you are having bulimic symptoms and recommend it highly. Good luck.”

Mimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “On 40mg and took a while to work for my bulimia. Eating disorders are usually a higher dose of prozac. It’s working now and had night sweats for a little but now it’s gone. My eating disorder (ED) thoughts are turned down and I’m not spending 24/7 thinking about food”

jadesgreen · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I've had bulimia for at least 10 years; I'm 53 and don't want to be doing this when I'm 70! So I started on 20mg prozac, which did nothing and have upped it to 80mg which seems like the 'sweet spot' for me- no self-harm thoughts, no bingeing or purging-it has literally saved my life. This is the dose that is required for eating disorders or OCD, the lower doses are antidepressant dose! Such a relief not to be thinking about food 24/7!If you want to get better, this is the way to go.”

Pillz_ · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I used to constantly think about food.. My thoughts would be racing whether to stuff my face or not eat at all. When I started 40 mg Prozac, it took a while and until I realized I didn't think about it anymore! Very glad my mind is off food for once!”

Anonymous August 15, 2011

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm taking 60 mg Prozac since 4 weeks. I only relapsed twice in the first week (while being on a lower dose) It took away the urge to binge and even purge. I'm less depressed, too. I've been through 5 years of psychoanalysis and 2 hospital stays all to no avail (never took medicines). I have bulimia for over 25 years and am hopeful to get rid of the food pressure - for good. Prozaz changed my life so far. I'll update at a later time.”

Layla · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I was very hesitant to start on this medication as I have been really active in a recovery program and do what I can to alleviate depression and anxiety through practicing mindfulness and reaching out for help within my social network.. but I also suffer from a severe case of bulimia which has persisted for over a decade... First couple days side effects were a little intense, no appetite and trouble sleeping for a night or two.. but I have to say that this medication is truly helpful for my obsessive preoccupations with weight and food, as well as social anxiety (definitely see why people who have general anxiety would NOT do well on this need, it makes me a bit more uppity) and mood stability. Side effects subsided and I still work a program of recovery every day... I highly recommend therapy and healthy living practices in conjunction with this medication, it can work!”

C girl · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): “Prozac saved my life!!! I struggled with bulimia for years and now I can finally say I rarely even think of binging n purging! It is the ultimate freedom....I can honestly say if it wasn't for this medication I would have died. I have so much faith in this medication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Geojhkj April 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I been taking Prozac for 3 monthes I don't binge or purge anymore I only throw up when I'm sick . I was thinking about suicide but now I'm 3 month purge free. I'm confident that if I stay on it I can live the rest of my life bulimia free. Bulimia is a ghost of my past now . Peace Michael ”

SarahSwar July 22, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I've struggled with bulimia (as well as depression/mood disorder) for about eight years now. I've been on Prozac three separate times (I quit taking it during my pregnancies) and I stop binging and purging every time I get back on it. It has also benefited my relationships and improved my parenting abilities. Every other medication I tried was just too hard on me, but Prozac doesn't affect me in any noticeably negative way.”

veggiebowl · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 19, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I had started prozac while I was in my recovery for bulimia and it worked incredibly to stop my binges and regulate my eating. I was beyond impressed. I stopped taking it after about a year and a half out of recovery and immediately started noticing I had serious anxiety issues and the depression came back. After about 6 months of being off of prozac, I recently was put back on it at my regular 60mg and it still works. While I don't suffer from bulimia anymore (or have controlled those symptoms), prozac has provided the stability I was begging my brain for. If you're someone who gets depressed in the winter months, has problems concentrating, and has tremors from anxiety - take this!”

Emi90 May 11, 2016

“This med is MAGICAL. I've expirienced really bad relationship with food and my body. Since I was 18 I used to gain weight and was trying to drop it sometimes with laxatives, sometimes with really awful diets that made me binge overeating all the time. I went to gym, working hard but then coming home and eat everything that I could find, even food that I dont really like, I was crying telling myself that tomorrow I'll change my live. It has been like that FOR YEARS. I hated myself, lost all my friends, never could build a relationship with men who loved me (I didn't believe that somebody can love me). Now (on 20 mg Prozac) I am happy, drop all the weight that I gained, I love a man who loves me and really enjoy my life. Give it a chance!XOXO”

Anonymous December 8, 2009

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I am 23 years old and have been bulimic since I was 11. This is the first medication that made a difference. I used to take Prozac for depression, and it helped somewhat. When my eating disorder got way too out of hand, my psychiatrist and I decided to raise my dose to 100 mg (dosage is higher for bulimia than depression). I still feel obsessive over food and weight, but now when I get the urge to binge I have a chance to fight it. It seems to have lessened the compulsion or the need to follow through on urges. It's not a miracle cure, but it has given me a fighting chance. I was actually able to go through an entire pregnancy without binging or purging once. I am now in recovery, and my slips are few and far between.”

irene. +989126547916 October 19, 2015

“have been blumic for the past 6 months and floxetine has done wonders... i take 20 mg per day and it helps me forget all the urge to uncontrollably eat and eat till im sick. God life without blumia is like heaven.... u can contact me to talk if u need.”

staypositivethingswillgetbetta September 10, 2016

“I take 100mg daily and my binging and purging has subsided by 90%. Please note it took me a long time to work up to this high dose. My quality of life has improved immensely and for the first time in years I am not thinking about food and weight constantly. One side effect I do experience is tiredness, which I find frustrating, but whenever I try to reduce my medication intake I start binging and purging again. Out of the 10-15 antidepressants I have tried over the years this has been the only one to assist without dreadful side effects (e.g. Topiamate). I wish everyone luck with their personal battle and know how challenging and isolating this condition can be. Take care”

thank goodness 4Prozac! April 5, 2011

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'm going to make this short and simple Pros: felt better within the month of taking it slowed my bulimia way down. CONS: had to up the dosage a month ago. So fare so good. I yawned the first 2 weeks straight all day long but its over now. ive been taking it for 2 months now and i love it! im 24 years old and have had my deppression and bulimia for 13 years and i have never felt this good. also im on 1mg of klonopin(clonazapam) at night. i like that too. hope this helps”

Mich2900 September 7, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): “I'd struggled with bulimia and depression for many years, I was prescribed Prozac to mainly treat my depression, and partly the eating disorder. With my personal experience with bulimia I never had the urges to binge eat, just to make myself vomit after eating proper sized portions of food. I had found that the Prozac had helped stopped the urges to throw up after eating quite effectively. The only side effect being that once I had stopped taking it the urges returned immediately. Currently and trying to battle those thoughts without being prescribed medication, but may go back onto it if I'm unsuccessful after a year, or so.”

renee5710 · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2014

“Started taking Prozac for bulimia/depression about three weeks ago. The first week I was on a low dose (10mg) with no positive or negative side effects. The second week I was on 20mg and was less depressed but still not a positive effect for my problem. I'm at the end of week 3 and on 40mg and I can really see a difference now. Haven't had the need to binge/purge in 5 days and my appetite has decreased to where I only eat the regular 3 meals/day. Because of this I've actually LOST 3lbs. Also I'm more motivated to do things now with this medicine. I'm very happy with this medication so far. Only negative is I've noticed it's been harder to go to the bathroom. Not sure if it's the medicine, but it's the only thing I can think of.”

Linda October 30, 2019

Prozac (fluoxetine): “After more than two months, I stopped taking Prozac. Here are the pros and cons of this med (in my own experience): Pros: 1. My mood is always better than usual 2. I no longer have death wishes 3. The bingeing urges noticeably lowered down but never stopped completely Cons: 1. NIGHTMARES, extremely terrible ones. They were just getting worse and worse 2. Anxiety and yes it’s bad but not too much in my case 3. Tiring day all day. I would feel that I’m tired, so sleepy, and dizzy all day. 4. Stuffy nose that I would always feel that I’m sick or having a flu After I stopped the med: 1. I feel much energized and awake, less dizzy, yet it didn’t affect my sleep 2. I dream normally and not too heavily 3. No more stuffy/runny sinus 4. However, I know my mood will lower down a bit, but I need to compromise because I just can’t stand the side effects, and the med in specific after two months couldn’t prove that it can ‘stop’ the bingeing urges I get.”

Kels78789 April 18, 2017

“I've had bulimia for 10 years. I just went on 20mg due to depression (extremely tired, not able to get out of bed, no energy/motivation etc.). I also experienced a noticeable increase in binging/purging during this time in an attempt to deal with the dysphoria and insomnia. I've only been on the medication 3 days, but oh my god. I'm not thinking about food all day long. My cravings are gone, my appetite is "normal". I don't feel like I'm constantly fighting that irresistible urge to binge. I have been getting tired during the day and will probably switch to taking it at night. Also have zero libido, which I like because its easier to focus. It also basically cured my "ADD" and I don't have to chug coffee all day to finish school work.”

MelissaMeow · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 9, 2015

“I have taken Prozac/flouxetine off and on for a few years to treat bulimia. It truly allows you to lead a normal life again without your day being consumed by thoughts of food and binging/purging. I have always been my physically healthiest when I was taking my 40 mg daily. I would, however, wean myself off eventually due to the sexual dysfunction and a lack of feeling emotions, as well as feeling like I had beaten the bulima - only to have it return full-fledged within 1 1/2 - 2 months. That is the case now, so I'm going back on it. It is still important to get cognitive therapy, so that you may control it on your own if Prozac's effects eventually wear off for you. Don't use it as a bandaid for the problem.”

Learn more about Bulimia