User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on Prozac for about 3 weeks. Started on 10 now moved up to 20. I can say this drug really kills most of my anxiety and stress. It is definitely helping with my depression also. My mood has stabilised for the most part. I recommend giving it a try, everybody is different so give it a try. Thanks :)"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"I am 26 years old and my anxiety was part of my life since the beginning. But my first serious panic attack was in September 2017. From that day I remember I could not return to normal. Felt weird nonstop, I could not even hide it anymore . I decided to take therapy, but just talking about it did not make any difference at all. So I went to a doctor and gave me flouxetine ( end of December). I started with 10 mg then a week after increased my dosage in 20mg. I remember I went almost crazy, the side effects were BAD. I stopped taking it for like 3 days then started taking 10 mg per day again. 1 month later in Febuary side effects where gone. And now 4 month later I am thankful I did not quit from taking them. I'm still on 10 mg and my life has become so much easier. So please give it time to kick in.. and it will be a life changer."

Kos (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi, I started on Prozac 6 days ago, I am constantly tired and have no get up and go, exercising feels like a chore. I am very foggy in the head as well. Anxiety has decreased a little, but sleep is very disturbed. Going to stick with for another week and hopefully these horrible side effects will go and I will get my energy back."

Nel45 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking 20 mg of Prozac in early 2017 for anxiety, depression and OCD. For the first few months, I felt fantastic; I was so relieved that I had finally found a medication that worked for me. Skip to August of 2017. I maintained dark thoughts. I eventually stopped taking the drug due to this scary reality. In December 2017, my doctor and I decided to give it one more try. This time around, at 10 mg per day, my thoughts became dark very quick; I stopped again, once and for all. It's been roughly 3 months that I've been off of Prozac and I now have good and bad days. Some days my thoughts are dark, and on my good days, I feel mostly okay, but will have periods of melancholy. I wouldn't recommend Prozac for folks with a history of trauma and strong suicidal urges. However, I have 2 cousins on Prozac that have moderate depression, and it's been a positive life changer! It just didn't work for me."

Prozac made it worse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2018

"I have been on it since the early 90’s, 20mg per day. I have had no problems with it. I just bumped up to 40mg per day for a few weeks because my anxiety has been severe lately but will go back to 20 mg once I feel settled. This is a normal cycle for me."

Cinnamon kid (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This drug has made me a new person. I was experiencing severe anxiety and the Paxil I was taking for over 6 years was not having much of an effect on me. My doctor switched me to Prozac and I felt shocking the first two weeks whilst on it. I was very close to giving up on it. My doctor urged me to persevere with it and within a month, I was beginning to enjoy life again. In fact, enjoy life better than before. You will feel worse before you feel better on this drug. It takes at least four weeks before you notice a difference. It is worth the wait and pain. I am now on 40mg and life is good."

Pandora (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2018

"I was taking this at 10 mgs and had to go off it due to insomnia. I felt pretty good on it, and had zero side effects other than the insomnia, which I was not able to tolerate. I have social anxiety and this did make me feel less inhibited around people. It seemed to take effect rather quickly."

Annagirl12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "First two weeks I felt like this tablet was making me 10 x worse and I was sleepy and didn't wanna get out of bed, crying and flipping out, not eating much. Well after reading google, as I was going to go off the tablet but I decided to give it two weeks,. Now the last 2-3 days I've felt fantastic, no anxiety or tight stomach feelings, no sleepiness, eating like a horse ;) give this medication more time."

Lols (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "In 2014, I suddenly started having terrible panic attacks and I believe this drug saved my life. My panic attacks were so bad I thought I’d have to check into a mental hospital and I considered suicide. Doctor put me on 20 mg and within just 5 days, the extreme anxiety subsided and the panic attacks were reduced. After 2-3 weeks, panic attacks completely stopped. I am so grateful for this drug during that time period. I stopped taking it after about 2 years because I felt much better. Fast forward to now, I started to have bad anxiety again due to a lot of stress in my life. Back on 10 mg and it helped within about 2 weeks. I was more calm, slept better, didn’t worry as much. However, I gained 15 pounds in 2 months and it made me lethargic, tired, and foggy. I’m weaning off now. I can’t stand being overweight and tired all the time. This drug definitely helped my anxiety, but the weight gain and fatigue has been really bad this time around."

Kris (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 23, 2018

"I can say that this drug did take a long time to take full effect (8 weeks). I did see improvements sooner, but full effect seemed to be around 8 weeks or so. I'm taking 40 mg Fluoxetine and my ruminations, anxiety, depression have all but disappeared. I'm still me, but the neuroticism is greatly diminished. I feel more balanced, more optimistic, have better self esteem, and overall I feel simply healthier. Side effects are manageable. You must give this drug time, like all of the SSRI's in my opinion. Judging after a week or two is not sufficient. They can often take a long time to see the benefits. Also, side effects such as sleepiness (and most side effects actually) do diminish over time."

ga8314 March 16, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hey! I suffer (suffered) from pain disorder which turned into depression soon after since I was 16. Now 35. I was given many SSRI's back then.. Name it, and I'm sure I tried it. I always made the common mistake of not giving it ample time to work. I was Rx Prozac last year, and this time I held it down. It works very very well! Panic attacks are pretty much gone! Outlook on life is better. I'm on 40mgs now daily. Side effects when I first started were tolerable.. upset stomach, no appetite, and cut into my sleep a bit. These went away in about a week. You must give it about 3 to 4 weeks for noticeable effects. Well worth it."

Bostong (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2018

"After suffering with debilitating anxiety and depression for many years, also terrible OCD, I finally started taking Fluoxetine after a near breakdown. I had been terrified and paranoid about taking antidepressants. To calm my paranoia, I took it with Valium. I felt a little spaced out, however I think this was largely down to me ‘waiting for something to happen’! I continued with the Fluoxetine and the occasional Valium, trying to get as much fresh air as I could each day. I can’t recall the exact time I started to feel better, it was more ‘drifting into normality’! I can honestly say, ten months in and I feel pretty much ‘normal’ 95% of the time. The only downside is that I have gained around eleven pounds in weight. I keep fit and active and try to eat healthily. If I’m several pounds heavier so be it. I’m here, happy and have a family to enjoy each day with me. Fluoxetine really has changed my life."

Memphis Bo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been living with PTSD, severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I reluctantly started Prozac but now I’m extremely happy I did. It’s been ~4 weeks in and I haven’t had a panic attack, I haven’t been angry, moody or irritable- quite a few times I felt somewhat euphoric and a steady feeling of being content/happy. I have fibromyalgia and this medication is said to help with the pain, It does. After drinking I would usually be in severe flare up pain and extremely anxious and depressed, now I feel perfectly fine and normal. Honestly, Prozac is helping me to live a better life without the stress and the depression. Its a relief to not be crippled by mental illness."

Bea7765 February 20, 2018

"My neurologist put me on fluoxetine with a view to controlling my migraines after I couldn't tolerate topiramate. Sadly, I didn't get on with fluoxetine either. Probably the worst aspect of it was that although I was not suffering so much with "traditional migraine", I experienced constant/cluster headaches which were almost as bad - extremely painful but without the nausea. I also started suffering from whistling in the ears. After 6 weeks or so, I stopped taking them (on a consultant's advice). My migraines returned but the head aches didn't stop and nor has the whistling."

Marc59 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "depression got worse."

min nick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Absolutely changed my life to the better after my thoughts were racing around. I feel like I'm another person on it. I'm on 20mg twice daily. Wish I would have going to the psychiatrist before the stresses started. Side effects are tiredness and very real dreams which I sometimes don't know if I dreamt them or happened in real."

Mel00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on prozac for about 3 months. It helped with my mood but did not help at all with anxiety. I tried increasing the dosage from 20 to 40 mg but after 3 weeks I had to stop because the side effects were too much ( increased anxiety, insomnia)."

Louloute January 17, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had a severe panic attack in college and ended up being hospitalized. I was put on venlafaxine by my primary doctor and that was an absolute horrible experience. It made me feel super depressed to the point I wouldn’t do anything but sit on the couch and cry. Also I felt even more out of control when it came to my anxiety, and my brain felt as if it was always malfunctioning. I couldn’t think straight at all. Eventually I went to a psychiatrist and was put on Prozac (10mg), I don't remember having any major symptoms when I first started the medication but after a month I got bumped up to 15mg and thats when I actually started feeling at calm and at peace again. Don’t give up there’s always hope!"

Jo20 December 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac 6 weeks now. Developed PTSD, suicidal ideation, work stress+++, parent dying no warning. Life sucked in 2017. After several attempts with sertraline, Zoloft, Prozac, stuck with Prozac. Saved me from doing the unthinkable. On 20mg. Just cruising along, happy, content, started exercising, eating healthy. Life is great. Wife kids happy I’m back to normal."

JD68 December 28, 2017

"I have taken Prozac for 19 years and it is truly a miracle drug for me and my migraines. I was suffering from 4 or 5 migraines a month when my doctor suggested I try it. I’ve never been able to take any traditional migraine medications, makes the headaches worse actually. So I figured there was no reason I shouldn’t try it. After taking it for a couple of months, I was down to only having 1 or 2 at the most per month. I have NO regrets about taking Prozac, but I do realize that it doesn’t work with just everybody. You literally have to try it to see if it works with your body chemistry. The only thing I’ve had to do over the years is adjust the dosage. I will never go without it if I can help it!"

Honneybee (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribe prozac when I was about 12 for severe anxiety and stayed on it for 3 years. During the time that I was on it, I had absolutely zero stress (I took 40mg a day). I was a whole other person, which is kinda scary when you think about it. However the withdrawals were absolutely terrible, I was depressed and was having major suicidal thoughts all summer long. That was a while ago, but now my anxiety is back as well as other mental issues. I’m supposed to get back on prozac in two days... it’s like when I'm on it and when I’m not are two different people."

Saturn5377 December 18, 2017

"I've been on fluoxetine 20mg for 3 months now. The side effects (daytime sleepiness, insomnia, anxiety) weren't severe and lasted about 2 weeks. I lost about 10 pounds. I get vivid strange dreams but other than that no side effects stayed. I'm taking it for social anxiety and have noticed I can talk to people more openly and am also less irritable and in a good mood most of the time. I started to feel more talkative within the first few days but I didn't feel less socially anxious until after a few weeks. I would recommend this drug because it is known to have less side effects and less dependency issues. It's not a personality changer but I feel more comfortable in social situations."

dexy96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've just filled my 4th refill of Prozac and I'm very glad I stuck with it. I started suffering from GAD in June and I was a mess. I had thoughts of suicide, lost 30 lbs because I went days I couldn't eat. I struggled daily with anxiety, with my biggest fear being that I would have a panic attack that would not go away. When I first started on 20 mg, within a couple of weeks I could feel the medicine blocking the anxiety. But after about 4 weeks, it seemed to become ineffective. My doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg and after about 3 weeks I noticed a significant improvement in anxiety. The midnight panic attacks stopped. My appetite returned, and I no longer had constant thoughts of anxiety. There were side effects, but minor."

milky006 December 16, 2017

"Was on fluox since '92. It definitely helped with worry, anxiety and self consciousness. Went to 20 mgs daily over time which was good. Stayed on 20mgs until '16 when I tapered off because I felt I had been on it so long wondered if it was still helping. I also read about ssri's not really helping. I now know alt. med sources and supplement makers want you to believe that and that big pharma and docs conspire to get everyone taking various meds, etc. Well after a year I had worry/anxiety slowly creep back into my live after a cramped flight(they never effected me like that before). Went back on 10 mgs then 20 mgs again and have not regretted it. A little hard to start for anxious folks/slow to act but really works. NO supplements helped."

alankay (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

"Only side effects I experienced were mild dizziness and nausea whilst starting off on 20mg, about a month later I went onto 40mg and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself... I would recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety. Fluoxetine has been amazing for me and has completely changed my life so far!"

Anon1313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2017