User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Aged 41 I spent every day thinking that I had cancer first finding a lump in my stomach and after GP told me this was nothing I was fine for a month or so until I then thought I had found a lump in my groin, I couldn't take anymore and broke down in front of my wife due to the exhausting worry. I had always been a worrier but this was more and was taking control of my life. I couldn't go out of the house on my own I was irritable and depression was taking hold. GP prescribed me Diazapam which helped like a sticking plaster and I was then put on 20mg Prozac. Please give at least 7 weeks to work and you do feel worse before feeling better! Trust me! Brilliant."

Steadyhand March 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This was prescribed for my 14-year-old's anxiety/depression and panic attacks. It turned our lives upside down, my daughter was on it for three terrible weeks. It increased her anxiety and the severity of her panic attacks by a lot. The black box warning happened, my daughter was suicidal on several occasions. We did gene testing during this time (Genomind) and it showed she would have an adverse reaction to it. Took her off of it and within two days she felt much better. Genetic testing should be protocol for all doctors prescribing these meds, and please be cautious giving your teenager anti-depressants."

Never Prozac Again for Us (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hello All, I decided to post my experience with Prozac to support others as well. I was suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Prior to this I had no prior history from my mental disorders, so this was all new to me.. ( it was also interfering with my life, work, social life) I decided to see a psychiatrist. She Recommended Prozac. The first 4 weeks it was really tough. I had really bad nausea, I had constant headaches, I felt like my brain was being rewired, I felt out of it, I couldn't sleep well. Once I hit the 5th week and beyond everything started getting better, I have been on for 4 Months on Prozac and I feel like my old self, I feel normal again and all the symptoms are gone and the anxiety and panic attacks are gone."

LILYF March 7, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I've been suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and sometimes depression but not serious depression, for around 3 months now due to an experience I had whilst taking MDMA. I had a panic attack the other night that led to me calling an ambulance because I felt faint, fast breathing then when the paramedics arrived my arms went numb due to my fast breathing, so I decided to see my GP the next day and he prescribed me with fluoxetine. Its now coming up to the sixth day of me using this medication and I kind of feel myself calmer, but this is only the first week. It was a kind of last resort thing to start and use medication so all fingers and toes crossed that I, and hope many more can overcome this anxiety and stress problem!"

Saul1 February 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I felt I needed to come back & leave feedback. I started using fluoxetine 6 weeks ago. I was scared to try, had read so many bad reviews. It was horrible to start with, like a waiting game. Waking up every day to see if it had 'gone'. Slowly I felt better, saw improvements and now into my 6th week I'm feeling like my old self again. I had bad nausea, weight loss, insomnia when starting meds. I was ready to give up after 3 weeks. I'm so glad I didn't. I suffer with bad anxiety & depression. I find driving difficult, felt faint, couldn't stand in a queue. Supermarkets were a no go, restaurants, I found myself staying in the house. In the last week I've been out, driving little trips but every day and I feel so much calmer. Don't give up!!"

Nikki1201* February 16, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been suffering from anxiety and paranoia for about 6 months now. The past month has been extreme with constant thought that I'm going to die, when health wise I'm perfectly fine besides needing to lose a few pounds. It has gotten to the point where every ache and pain makes me think something is wrong with me and that I'm going to die. I fear being alone with my 8 months old the most. I fear something will happen to me and nobody will know and my baby will be alone in the house until daddy gets home. I tried almost everything except medicine because I am scared of side effects. Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I've had the prescription for 2 weeks and been holding off. I finally gave in and started today. Your posts give me hope."

MIC89 February 16, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi everyone, I was recently put on fluextine 20mg . I started with 10mg for one week then for the last 2 weeks I've taken 20mg at bedtime. I feel very anxious , agitated in the mornings and wake up with dry mouth and feel náuseated. Has any one had this experience, and how long where you on it when you started feeling better less anxious. I take hydroxizine 25 mg at bedtime too , and Pepcid . Thanks !"

help100 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac (10mg) worked great for my depressive symptoms- I had energy and was motivated. I had no issues with weight gain or my sex drive. It did however, significantly increase my anxiety- I had scary obsessive, intrusive thoughts, along with bad episodes of panic that came out of nowhere. I was scared to drive, go over bridges- there was always this fear of "what if?" Everything that I could be anxious about, I was. I had a very difficult time quieting my mind, and at times I thought i was going crazy. Very scary experience overall. For those suffering from depression, Im sure this RX is a God-send, but much too "speedy" for my body."

Anonymous February 3, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I never comment, but wanted to say that if you're nervous or on the fence about taking this medicine, then your worries should be allayed. With Fluoxetine, I have been able to think clearly, control emotions and feel present in the moment without being overwhelmed by my usual over-thinking. Miracle drug? No. But it is a supplement that can help you reach the potential you see inside yourself."

Anonymous February 1, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication makes me worthless man, I feel sick when I take this drug, very sick thinking, Muscle pain, suicidal thoughts sometimes, Please stop taking this drugs, if feel you feel any of these symptoms"

smart_raja (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed prozac generic 20 mg 2 weeks ago by my doctor. I had a rough patch with a family member which led to extreme anxiety/OCD, I had panic attacks and left work on several ocassions. This led to depression, felt like surrounded by a dark cloud. I am male in my late 30's and never suffered with this before so it really scared me. I thought I was going crazy. Finally decided to get help after 2 months. I was very nervous to take after some reviews.It's been 2 weeks and I feel SO much better. Is seemed like 1 day I woke up and the depression and anxiety just faded. I had some side effects for first 5 days...mental fogginess, drowsiness, headache, waking up early but all went away. hope this helps and stick with it!! exercise helps too."

thegoldstandard1981 January 20, 2017

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taking fluoxetine on a 40mg dose for just over 2 years for severe anxiety. I found it just made me extremely tired and quite numbed to daily life which was no good for my 5 year old child to see that I wasn't great showing my emotions. I suffer bad with travelling as I feel enclosed and I can't go to the toilet which brings on sweaty palms, tense muscles, holding my breathe without realising it and upset bowels and feeling I need to go both ways constantly. Fluoxetine didn't help reduce any of these physical symptoms only the psyochological side making me feel zoned out from the world (not great when you have children) now I am about to go on a different medication citalpram I am hoping this helps"

92Deaks January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on fluoxetine for 20 years now. This drug has done wonders for me - a life saver. I tried to come off it once against the doctors advice - silly me!"

flanker01 December 31, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm convinced that fluoxetine is a cap full of sugar and salt. Been on it for 6 months now and I can't say that I've woken up once and said " I feel great"! At the end of the day private companies produce these medications. Its big business. They test it for a short time on a number of people and release corrupted results or not all findings...."

Ahmzii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac 9 weeks ago after Mirtazapine stopped working. I was suffering with bad OCD, anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis. When I first started on the medication, I thought it would be a miracle drug, however the side effects were horrendous. For 7 solid weeks I was a mess, I was depressed (I dont even suffer with depression) I was crying at my desk all the time, I had horrible thoughts, crippling anxiety, would not leave my house or talk to anyone the only thing that would get me through the day was Diazapam. I am on 40mg and after 7 weeks it was like a light turned on and I have been 'normal' for 2 weeks straight, I am so happy I stuck with it. I know it's hard but trust me it's worth it."

Jodeyxo December 29, 2016

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I began taking Prozac about 10 years ago for generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed my family physician. I took 10 mg for awhile and then increased to about 20mg. During this time on Prozac I experienced TMJ which I had never had before. I used to dream of novacaine shots to get rid of the pain. I took a break from Prozac and the tmj disappeared. But I never connected the Prozac with tmj. Dr didn't and dentist didn't. Fast forward to now. Back on Prozac. Back with Tmj. :( Loved Prozac. Got rid of my ruminating thoughts and anxiety. I would give it a ten except for the tmj. Giving Zoloft a try. Hopefully no tmj."

Ghost girl December 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had severe anxiety all my life sweaty hands, sweaty feet, shaky feel like your vibrating inside dizzy light-headed it is an awful way to live and until I was an adult with kids of my own. l had no treatment but now I have literally tried every depression and anxiety medication there is and Prozac has helped me the most without unbearable side effects."

hope12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medicine for three months and stated to notice uncontrolled, constant muscle twitching in my feet and legs, that was 15 years ago. Try to imagine your leg muscles twitching 24/7/365 for the rest of your life, that's what I'm dealing with and it's horrible. I'd think twice before putting this chemical into your body. Before this I was on Paxil for four years with pretty good results and no major side effects; wish I had stayed on that."

Painaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi everyone, I experienced extreme anxiety which then lead to panic disorder. It sounds like it basically started from built up stress but, let me tell you my story as I want people to feel more comfortable and understand what's going on as I have done extensive research on the issue. First, anxiety and panic disorder are awful. You feel like you can't breathe, that you're having a heart attack, you get dizzy, you feel off balance, you get sweaty hands and feet, you're not comfortable and always anxious, sometimes you even feel that you're legs are going to give out. If the above feels like you well I took Prozac and honestly it saved me. "

Fightanxietyforever (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months. The doctor started me on buspirone but it didn't help. I tried lexapro and couldn't take the side effects. I just stated Prozac 10 mg this week. So far no side effects. I just hope it helps soon. My anxiety was bad today. I have anxiety everyday. Just curious if anyone shakes with their anxiety? I just started shaking about a week ago and when I get nervous, it is worse."

#tired01 December 9, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on Prozac 20mg earlier this week after trying Lexapro previously, and I have already noticed a huge difference! Before, my anxiety and depression got to the point where it was difficult for me to socialize, or to feel like I was "all there". Felt like I was always fighting through a dense fog. The inability to concentrate was exhausting. This medicine feels like it is, slowly but surely, clearing that foggy feeling. I am looking forward to the next few weeks, as I was told that is when it would reap its benefits entirely. I would highly recommend."

The Ponderer December 9, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was going through a breakdown and eating healthy and working out but still life was a mess and I couldn't cope so my PCP prescribed this to get me through. I lost a bunch of weight, fine because I was a tad chunky and became numb to so many things but I was able to cope better and I had a bunch of energy. I couldn't sleep but it was okay with my 75 hour work week. It was hard to concentrate on my medical studies because I would get confused a lot but overall I adjusted and I would get on it again. Getting off it was smooth."

Audriauna-all-day (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Ok, I felt better two days in to treatment. Then, a week in, I am calm. Two weeks in, still calm. Just even. Finally. I've struggled with rapid heartbeats, sweating, panic, fear, talking too fast, gasping for breath because I have so much anxiety, and just a general uncomfortable feeling my whole life. Of course Xanax and meds like that worked, but when they wore off the anxiety would come back worse. This drug Prozac? Like, why didn't I try it earlier. I've been on many other antidepressants and only Cymbalta came close. On 20 mg and my headaches and muscle tension are also reduced. I hope this lasts. The only side effects: early waking, and waking up a few times at night, but I just take some Benadryl and I sleep through the night"

ZoeMushka10 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago and have been cancer free since. But my anxiety of cancer or anything recurring was getting the best of me. I tried ciprilex but I got bad headaches so my Dr put me on 20mg Prozac and I have been on it for 3 years and feel great!"

Anonymous November 22, 2016