User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac about a month ago for anxiety and depression. I had been in therapy for about 8 months prior to this for the same reasons. I had made several lifestyle changes before trying Prozac. I quit smoking, drinking caffeine and alcohol, and started exercising more. None of this was helping my anxiety (main problem). My anxiety was especially bad during my menstrual cycle, so I talked to my Dr. and he prescribed Prozac. I waited 2 months to take it because I had never taken an AD before and was scared. But once I did I was so glad! Prozac has honestly changed my life for the better. I believe I was much more depressed than I realized before taking it and my anxiety has completely disappeared."

Alahet (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have spent a lot of time reading threads on Prozac. They have all been very helpful during these past few months so I thought I should share my own experiences just in case anyone out there might find it helpful. I started Prozac 20mg about 2 months ago. I always knew I had anxiety and mild depression and was always curious about taking anti-depressants. But when my boyfriend and I broke up I literally went to my PsycDoc the very next day. I had done my research on AD’s and thought that Prozac would be the best for me. My Doc agreed. I kept a log every single day I took Prozac starting from Day #1 until Day #30. It took 24 days before I started feeling little random bursts of happiness. But up until day #24 it was pure torture. It hurt to smile, I completely lost my appetite, I could not sleep, I was sad, I experienced soooo much anxiety is was painful. But thanks to reading all these threads I did not give up and was hopeful that things will get better just as everyone said it will. Every day after Day #24 just seemed to have gotten better and better. And on Day #30, it finally hit me and I understood what Prozac is all about. Yes it is true that it is a life saver. If I had to put it in just two words to explain how I feel on Prozac I would have to say “Calm” and “Clear”. But I’m not finished just yet… after a few weeks I started feeling like the 20mg wasn’t really working. So my Doc increased my dose to 40mg. this time around I almost gave up and went back to 20mg, but thankfully I did not. For 3 weeks of taking 40mg I was soooo tired, fatigue and lethargic. I did not experience this on 20mg. and I was constantly hungry too. So after week #3 I called my Doc so I can make an appointment to go back down to 20mg. he was out of town so I had to wait. When his office called me back to schedule me in, the awful side effects of 40mg were gone and I was back to feeling clear, calm and happy again. So here is my own personal advice from my own journey with Prozac… I’ve been on it for a little over 2 months. You have to get worse before you get better. No matter what you think, YOU WILL GET BETTER. Prozac is literally reprogramming and rewiring your brain and that TAKES TIME. Side note: I’m 31 years old and ex-boyfriend and I are back together and happy. So were all those days of torture worth it? It sure was."

Calyfornia (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I previously took Celexa for GAD; but it stopped working. Switched to Paxil. Paxil is great for anxiety but it gave me constant nausea that wouldn't go away. I switched to Prozac. The first 2 weeks on Prozac, it gave me more anxiety, nausea and unable to eat a lot. After two weeks, my anxiety/panicky was reduced, appetite is good again and sometimes I will get bouts of nausea. So far, Prozac at 40 is working pretty good. I also take Valium 5 mg as needed once or twice a week. Valium is amazing. When Prozac is not working well on certain days, Valium is used to smooth things out. Valium is a good rx since it will stay in our system for a longer time. If you use it scarcely, you can use Valium for life. Prozac & Valium: Excellent together."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Was prescribed this. First dose and I'm already having difficulty achieving an erection. Not ever taking this again. Not worth it."

Racing mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac for anxiety and stress: I started Prozac 20 mgs on January 1, 2016. I feel great so far with no anxiety and panicky feeling. Not everyday is perfect but that is life. The first two weeks on Prozac 20 mgs, it made my anxiety high, it made me nauseated, unable to eat and unable to sleep. Since I suffer from GAD, 20 mgs suddenly stopped working and I went up to 40 mgs. Increased to 40 mgs, it gave me a lot of anxiety and panicky feeling again. After one week or so, the anxiety was gone. The panicky feeling was also gone. I have tried three other ADs and they all gave me chronic nausea and headache. However, on Prozac, I feel great. I do feel nauseas at but it is manageable. Give Prozac 7 weeks before you quit. Two thumbs up!"

Be strong July 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and starting to see light at end of tunnel. Stomach pain an nausea the first couple weeks but much better now. I'm sleeping well and feel more relaxed. I find I actually want to do things like take a walk, play with grandkids, clean house and take care of myself. I didn't want to do anything before Prozac. I just existed. Thanks to Prozac I'm now living at 56 years old!"

Texas Granny 2005 June 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "When I read the comments about Prozac I believe that most of the good ones are from people who are still on them or took them for a short period of time. The review should include the withdrawal. I was given Prozac 14 years ago for anxiety I was not depressed. It worked well for anxiety, I tried to come off them many times and suffered what I thought was a return of anxiety but was in reality withdrawal. Since coming off completely 2 years ago I have been destroyed mentally and physically. My cognition is very poor I have serious vision problems and dizziness and agitation and I'm in constant pain. my pharmacologist and neurologist are in agreement"

Tatty1 June 17, 2016

"Overall a good drug, I would recommend it."

Filip147 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

"Hey guys, so I'm on my 6th day of fluoxetine from completing a two day wash out period or cetalopram, I was on this for 2 years and I felt good apart from the first week of hell. I made the change due to weight I felt that it had to be the main reason. Now I'm really hoping so because I'm Not feeling amamzing, I work up vomitting yesterday morning all day and yesterday was kind of ok but now this morning it's back I'm Lying down to try keep it down. I feel a little scared to leave the house but I know it's the medication. No one knows around me what I'm going through as there not the sort of people who would understand. Thinking of going to the gym or will this make it worse! Glad to see I'm not alone out there!"

Amycatcam June 8, 2016

"Helped with my depression, ocd, anxiety disorder. I was pulled out of school for 4 months and couldn't leave my home due to my fear of my panic attacks. I was constantly light headed, dizzy, sweating in panic. It helped slowly but surely. I'm upto 60mg, and there are still some random times of anxiety but it has helped tremendously. I can leave my house and go to concerts , and places with a lot of people"

Micheeele June 7, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on this for a few weeks now and I feel no better than I did before I started taking this.. Gained weight and getting severe migraines.."

Suicidalangel May 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It didn't work, I was up to 40mg daily and felt literally nothing. Ever since I had my son I have had panic attacks and bad anxiety so I went to the doctor and was prescribed Prozac. I was so disappointed. I almost feel more depressed now."

MadisonR May 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was put on prozac 5 years ago to help with severe premenapausal symtoms (ie: anxiety, night sweats, Hot flashes, depression, lack of concentration, ).I was amazed how good it felt and how much it helped with all these symptoms. The extra bonus was I was much happier, relaxed and more social than I had been ever before. The serotonin was a miracle drug. I take 20 mg 3 times a day and if I miss more than 4 days all my symtoms as well as depression kick in. I'm 51 and it's been a life savor for me."

Etphonehome777 May 4, 2016

"I've only just started taking fluoxetine but I wanted to comment that I have no side effects. I have tried Zoloft and with those side effects I thought I was going to die. I was so scared to try something new but no side effects for me."

Greenaspen22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed 10mg of this medication for the first month and felt okay, but I still had my bad days. On my 6th week, my doc upped my prescription to 20 mg, and in the week I was on that dosage, my anxiety was through the roof. I went back to my doctor with my symptoms and he put me back down to 10mg with the intent of weening me off of it. Plus, this makes you kind of emotionless, like a zombie. Even on my good days where I wasn't anxious, I just didn't have the motivation to do anything. I really don't recommend this to anyone. But if it helps you, that's good."

CJBrill (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"Only last few months been on fluoxetine and started on 20mg and then increased to 40mg a life saver. Tried citalopram before and this made me feel heavy headed and a little lack of energy. Got my life back and think I did the right thing and wont be coming off this for a while. People say if you break your leg or your body needs a operation you would go for it. If you need to take a SSR for a while, do it to get your life back on a even keel."

purplebluebell (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been off and on the prozac for over a year now. Keep reading stuff on the internet about its side effects, then flush them down the drain. But then I get back on the medicine. I can say that I feel its effects after just one dose, it feels like a pretty strong drug and I'm only on 10mg. Don't drink too much caffeine on prozac! I've had the worst anxiety attacks if I drink an energy drink after taking my dose of prozac. It does help me get stuff done and stay motivated and I guess it helps with general anxiety as well. It does kind of make me impulsive though but I'm learning to make better decisions while on the medicine. I think it helps over all and I will continue to stay on it for the foreseeable future."

greenberg333 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2016

"I avoided taking these drugs for 7 months. I really hoped I could fix my anxiety and constant stress by myself, I tried everything from herbal relaxation tea to meditation and talking to the best psychologist. I wish I had tried prozac (20mg) earlier, because it has helped me get rid of the anxiety. I feel energetic and happy again. I didnt gain any weight just felt a little nauseous in the first week."

Roza889 April 17, 2016

"Started this med with serious apprehension due to bad side effects of other SSRI drugs, but WOW! What a difference. It takes nearly two months for things to balance out but I feel like my self again. Euthymic (normal non-depressed, reasonably positive mood) with in a normal range and anxiety at a normal level. I have done two job interviews and started a new job with no panic attacks. Please remember that medication is only one part of recovery. I have practice mindfulness daily as well as see a counsellor to tackle the route of my problems but this medication has allowed me to function again..........happy"

Dragonballs April 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Started more as supplement to wellbutrin. But I got more from this so I quit wellbutrin and take this at 20mg. feel great. Calm and clear. Focused and motivated. Side effects were mild...vivid dreams and absolutely zero appetite. Eat lunch and thats it. Not hungry the rest of the day. Great for motivation and clarity."

Bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This drug saved my life. It did not work for the first month and a half but when it did! Amazing results! No anxiety! And I suffered from panic attacks 24/7. Not saying this drug alone will fix all your problems but it helped me so so much! Gave me my excitement for life back"

Sara27373628 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2016

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on prozac for a few years now. I stopped taking it in mid December just restarted today anxiety and stress are tuff to deal with let alone with out this medicine."

OAR February 22, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for six months. It took about 8 weeks to notice any positive mood changes. After a few weeks of starting it I began to feel like I was living in a fog and had a difficult time concentrating but that eventually went away and turned into optimism and feeling great. Please give it a couple of months to work. It takes time to kick in. After 8 weeks I felt good and happy for a while but recently have relapsed into anxiety and depression again. My MD has now upped my dosage to 40mg. I am hopeful I will get the happiness and optimism back again soon from the higher dose."

darksideofthemoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Well where do I start. I went from Sertraline to fluroxetine, as I went through an episode of depression and felt that my body may have become immune to Sertraline after been on it for 5 years. I started on 20mg. My anxiety went through the roof. But my depression improved slightly after a few months. However I became emotionally numb. (I am normally a very sensitive, caring person,) And found it even hard to cry or have empathy in my relationship. My depression increased so I was out on 40mg , and although my mood lifted, my anxiety increased and I suffered panic attacks. Since withdrawing I find I have a lot of social phobia, however it is so good to be really able to feel emotions again that have been trapped for a year and a half."

Mollymolloy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

"I have been taking fluoxetine 20mg for 15 days now . I suffer night anxiety attacks and panic to the point were I knew I had to do something about it as it was ruining my life. I was in a car crash which initially set off the night anxiety. The medication has helped me tremendously. I have always been very sceptical about antidepressants and felt I could manage my anxiety myself and refused medication in the past. It caused me to lose a bit of weight and heightened my anxiety for a few days and nights but it became more bearable . I do get the odd nights when I feel it creeping back but I'm able to relax and breath it away, which I could never do before - I would just have full on anxiety. So good luck to all who try this medication."

annieboo (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016