User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on prozac for about 3 months. It helped with my mood but did not help at all with anxiety. I tried increasing the dosage from 20 to 40 mg but after 3 weeks I had to stop because the side effects were too much ( increased anxiety, insomnia)."

Louloute January 17, 2018

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had a severe panic attack in college and ended up being hospitalized. I was put on venlafaxine by my primary doctor and that was an absolute horrible experience. It made me feel super depressed to the point I wouldn’t do anything but sit on the couch and cry. Also I felt even more out of control when it came to my anxiety, and my brain felt as if it was always malfunctioning. I couldn’t think straight at all. Eventually I went to a psychiatrist and was put on Prozac (10mg), I don't remember having any major symptoms when I first started the medication but after a month I got bumped up to 15mg and thats when I actually started feeling at calm and at peace again. Don’t give up there’s always hope!"

Jo20 December 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on Prozac 6 weeks now. Developed PTSD, suicidal ideation, work stress+++, parent dying no warning. Life sucked in 2017. After several attempts with sertraline, Zoloft, Prozac, stuck with Prozac. Saved me from doing the unthinkable. On 20mg. Just cruising along, happy, content, started exercising, eating healthy. Life is great. Wife kids happy I’m back to normal."

JD68 December 28, 2017

"I have taken Prozac for 19 years and it is truly a miracle drug for me and my migraines. I was suffering from 4 or 5 migraines a month when my doctor suggested I try it. I’ve never been able to take any traditional migraine medications, makes the headaches worse actually. So I figured there was no reason I shouldn’t try it. After taking it for a couple of months, I was down to only having 1 or 2 at the most per month. I have NO regrets about taking Prozac, but I do realize that it doesn’t work with just everybody. You literally have to try it to see if it works with your body chemistry. The only thing I’ve had to do over the years is adjust the dosage. I will never go without it if I can help it!"

Honneybee (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribe prozac when I was about 12 for severe anxiety and stayed on it for 3 years. During the time that I was on it, I had absolutely zero stress (I took 40mg a day). I was a whole other person, which is kinda scary when you think about it. However the withdrawals were absolutely terrible, I was depressed and was having major suicidal thoughts all summer long. That was a while ago, but now my anxiety is back as well as other mental issues. I’m supposed to get back on prozac in two days... it’s like when I'm on it and when I’m not are two different people."

Saturn5377 December 18, 2017

"I've been on fluoxetine 20mg for 3 months now. The side effects (daytime sleepiness, insomnia, anxiety) weren't severe and lasted about 2 weeks. I lost about 10 pounds. I get vivid strange dreams but other than that no side effects stayed. I'm taking it for social anxiety and have noticed I can talk to people more openly and am also less irritable and in a good mood most of the time. I started to feel more talkative within the first few days but I didn't feel less socially anxious until after a few weeks. I would recommend this drug because it is known to have less side effects and less dependency issues. It's not a personality changer but I feel more comfortable in social situations."

dexy96 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've just filled my 4th refill of Prozac and I'm very glad I stuck with it. I started suffering from GAD in June and I was a mess. I had thoughts of suicide, lost 30 lbs because I went days I couldn't eat. I struggled daily with anxiety, with my biggest fear being that I would have a panic attack that would not go away. When I first started on 20 mg, within a couple of weeks I could feel the medicine blocking the anxiety. But after about 4 weeks, it seemed to become ineffective. My doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg and after about 3 weeks I noticed a significant improvement in anxiety. The midnight panic attacks stopped. My appetite returned, and I no longer had constant thoughts of anxiety. There were side effects, but minor."

milky006 December 16, 2017

"Was on fluox since '92. It definitely helped with worry, anxiety and self consciousness. Went to 20 mgs daily over time which was good. Stayed on 20mgs until '16 when I tapered off because I felt I had been on it so long wondered if it was still helping. I also read about ssri's not really helping. I now know alt. med sources and supplement makers want you to believe that and that big pharma and docs conspire to get everyone taking various meds, etc. Well after a year I had worry/anxiety slowly creep back into my live after a cramped flight(they never effected me like that before). Went back on 10 mgs then 20 mgs again and have not regretted it. A little hard to start for anxious folks/slow to act but really works. NO supplements helped."

alankay (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

"Only side effects I experienced were mild dizziness and nausea whilst starting off on 20mg, about a month later I went onto 40mg and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself... I would recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety. Fluoxetine has been amazing for me and has completely changed my life so far!"

Anon1313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I starred Prozac around 21 months ago. It really seems to help first couple if months except for the severe migraines. So my Dr added fiorcet. And it helped a lot. Until around Aug of this year I have been feeling out if control , mood swings, easily angered, I got hateful a lot. Suicidal thoughts are very common and I'm a recovering alcoholic but I've been wanting to get drunk bad. On Monday 11-27-17, my Dr changed my Prozac from 20mg twice daily to 40mg in morning and 20 mg at bedtime. My urge to drink has about doubled. I dislike this all, I used to be active and fit, did everything for my children and husband. Laundry , cooking, clean house. Shopping, and Now I'm disabled and don't have a life"

Helpless 74 November 29, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm 22 and I've had anxiety and some bad panic attacks for the past 2 years. I'm prescribed ativan (lorazapam) to take as needed. It helped a lot for traveling and definitely for shutting down panic attacks but it also gives you a lot of ups and downs. Its a benzo so it essentially just shuts you down and makes you pass out, it doesn't really help fix the problem. I talked to my doctor this summer about getting on an every day anxiety medicine and my mom takes prozac so I thought maybe it'll help me too. I started at 10 for a month and then increased to 20 for 2 months. I can honestly say I haven't had bad side effects at all but also it just felt like it wasn't doing anything. I just recently increased to 40 this month, hoping for the best!"

sarahjilly November 28, 2017

"Been on fluoxetine for five weeks. For the first month I had no side effects and after the first two weeks I experienced a very slight improvement in my anxiety. In the last week I have had some negative side effects very similar to that of a fever; including sweating, sore throat, hard to breathe, trouble sleeping, dehydration, complete lack of appetite, dizziness, shaking and confusion. Possibly the worst side affect was the distorted vision - shakey with little perception of depth, slightly like being drunk. I hope that the side effects subside soon."

AmyRichie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2017

"23 y/o. I’ve experienced mild anxiety most of my life. Last year I experienced a trigger that sent me into an intense bout of anxiety which led to a really horrible depression that lasted for months accompanied by such repetitive thoughts that I thought I had OCD. I began therapy for the first time and my psychiatrist started me off with 10 mg per day, then 20. He finally increased me to 30 and let me tell you it’s changed my life! Would totally recommend. It took a few months for it to take total effect but I went from thinking I would never be normal/happy again to having my anxiety under control more so now than any other point in my life. I do have very intense, realistic, strange dreams and random muscle jerks but it’s well worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started this drug for depression and anxiety. The first 2 weeks at 10mg I actually felt fine but when my psychiatrist upped the dose to 20mg and then later to 30mg, I noticed it had intensified my anxiety, gave me suicidal thoughts, worsened my insomnia, and made my anger and moods unpredictable. I also felt like I was hallucinating all the time, I could focus on a wall and start seeing weird acid-like visuals. I never had that with any other med until I started Prozac. Doc has me trying Lexapro now, and bc I stopped taking Prozac the withdrawal has been awful. I am hoping Lexapro changes things. I took this med for 3-4 months overall."

Klee9984 November 7, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "If you're reading this and have panic/anxiety attacks and are taking prozac, please don't quit with it. I'm on prozac 10mg for 6 weeks+ and the first few weeks were so BAD. My anxiety was worse, really bad hyperventilation attacks (almost daily), and the most two annoying things were the dizziness and the fatigue. I would feel sleepy all day while experiencing panic and anxiety. The fact that the body experiences this means that the meds were working, the symptoms of what I described got less worse by the week and at the 5 week mark I quit having panic/hyperventilation attacks. I still feel a bit of tired but I'm not even 2 months on the meds yet, don't let the early symptoms of the medication scare you."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

"I'm taking this for general anxiety disorder and major depression disorde. 20 mg. It's been a couple of months. It works great nicer and happier and I have lost 17 pounds. I have tried to get my medicine right the past year by trying everything. I was on celexa ( was on a few years gained a lot of weight and stopped working), latuda, strattera, pristiq, vyvanse I'm allergic to. The only problem is Prozac doesn't mix well with concerta that I took a long time ago, it used to work so well, now I tried it with Prozac and it's cry all day long. So going back to dr soon need to find something else to mix in with my Prozac."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication was a game-changer for me. I've suffered from anxiety/OCD/depression my whole life, and for the first time it feels like I can handle what life throws at me. My anxious/intrusive thoughts still come, but they no longer ruin days/weeks/months. I was very nervous to start this medication because of reviews about side-effects, but I honesty believe that most people who come on these sites to write reviews are the exceptions who have bad reactions. The worst side effect I had was losing a little weight, while the best thing it did for me was probably saving my life."

OCD Anxiety Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

"I have started my journey on this medicine when I was 17, I am now 27 so it’s been officially 10 years. I started on it at a 10mg dosage and have made my way up to 20mg over the years however this medicine has really worked for me. I have had severe anxiety which began after I was a victim of abuse and soon after I started having horrible issues with my stomach which was generalized as IBS. Things got so bad that I ended up needing to take a break from college, would have to call out from work because I would get severely anxious and sick with my stomach. Since starting this medication it didn’t fix the IBS but it did help with the anxiety which makes the stomach problems much worse. It’s not a miracle drug but it has worked for me!"

Lane24 October 19, 2017

"This medication a gift from the gods I take 40mg a day. It is truly a magic pill"

Flet555 October 2, 2017

"I've been on this medicine for about a year now. I started at 20mg now I'm at 80mg about 2 and a half months ago I was feeling good but now I have an uncomfortable feeling like my mind was not used to. Now I feel like I should for normal but I don't feel normal. It's hard to explain. Thanks for reading."

misfit kid (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with some panic. It was a miserable situation and although I gutted it out for many years, I finally decided to try meds. My doctor prescribed Prozac, 10 mg initially. I'm not going to lie, those first couple of weeks were rough. It actually made me MORE anxious and pretty jittery. Sleep was not restful. But then just about the time I was going to give up (2-3 weeks into it) and try something else, I started feeling better. Eventually, I felt a LOT better. I now take 20 mg/daily and I feel like I got my life back. I don't think I realized how small my life had become until the anxiety abated. For someone who can gut out the initial few weeks, it is so worth it."

SammyMN (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had the WORST reaction to this medicine. I was on 20mg and my body rejected it terribly. The first few days were fine and then after the 4th day or so I became very glazed over and out of it. It was as if I was a walking zombie. I then started waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks. I had never had one before so I was very scared. My doctor told me to come off of it and the withdraw from this was even worse. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. Overall I had a very negative experience but my mom takes this medicine and she loves it. Could just depend on the person I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was reluctant to go on an SSRI as I was concerned about weight gain and fatigue. However, I was in such a bad headspace back in the spring that I bit the bullet and saw my doctor about it. She prescribed me generic Prozac (fluoxetine). Initially I was on 10 mg, then worked up to 20 mg. It's made such a positive difference. I haven't had any near-panic attacks, and my anxiety feels much more manageable. Life feels easier. I've had some side effects, such as excessive yawning (and I mean excessive!), some mild nausea, and vivid dreams. To me, though, the benefits far outweigh them. I'm going to keep taking it and use the coping skills I learned in therapy."

Julian Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac worked great for me for about 2 years and then it quit being effective. Apparently this experience is so common it's even called "Prozac poop-out." At age 41 I started taking 10 mg daily, then increased to 20. For the first week or two I felt slightly nauseated and had trouble getting an erection. Then those side-effects vanished, and I felt not only happier but more functional (at the time I was a university professor). I wrote 2 published novels during those two years. A wonderful side-effect is that I gained total ejaculatory control. Suddenly I was the lover I'd always wanted to be! But after the Prozac honeymoon, I found myself feeling anxious and depressed again and the Prozac was just making me sleepy. So I quit. C'est la vie."

retired prof (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was very scared of starting Prozac because of the reviews I read. I also had tried lexapro and had major panic attacks that made me go off of it. I have been on Prozac for 4 weeks and am just starting to feel the benefits. I feel I can think more clearly and am not living life in constant stress or fear. I wish I started in sooner. I feel so much better almost like "wow this is what life for non stresses people is like" Side effects I experienced: 2 days out of month felt more anxious then normal and have had a little nausea but hardly any. It's been great."

Kellyp8765 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017