User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed prozac generic 20 mg 2 weeks ago by my doctor. I had a rough patch with a family member which led to extreme anxiety/OCD, I had panic attacks and left work on several ocassions. This led to depression, felt like surrounded by a dark cloud. I am male in my late 30's and never suffered with this before so it really scared me. I thought I was going crazy. Finally decided to get help after 2 months. I was very nervous to take after some reviews.It's been 2 weeks and I feel SO much better. Is seemed like 1 day I woke up and the depression and anxiety just faded. I had some side effects for first 5 days...mental fogginess, drowsiness, headache, waking up early but all went away. hope this helps and stick with it!! exercise helps too."

thegoldstandard1981 January 20, 2017

"I have been on fluoxetine for 20 years now. This drug has done wonders for me - a life saver. I tried to come off it once against the doctors advice - silly me!"

flanker01 December 31, 2016

"I'm convinced that fluoxetine is a cap full of sugar and salt. Been on it for 6 months now and I can't say that I've woken up once and said " I feel great"! At the end of the day private companies produce these medications. Its big business. They test it for a short time on a number of people and release corrupted results or not all findings...."

Ahmzii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac 9 weeks ago after Mirtazapine stopped working. I was suffering with bad OCD, anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis. When I first started on the medication, I thought it would be a miracle drug, however the side effects were horrendous. For 7 solid weeks I was a mess, I was depressed (I dont even suffer with depression) I was crying at my desk all the time, I had horrible thoughts, crippling anxiety, would not leave my house or talk to anyone the only thing that would get me through the day was Diazapam. I am on 40mg and after 7 weeks it was like a light turned on and I have been 'normal' for 2 weeks straight, I am so happy I stuck with it. I know it's hard but trust me it's worth it."

Jodeyxo December 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I began taking Prozac about 10 years ago for generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed my family physician. I took 10 mg for awhile and then increased to about 20mg. During this time on Prozac I experienced TMJ which I had never had before. I used to dream of novacaine shots to get rid of the pain. I took a break from Prozac and the tmj disappeared. But I never connected the Prozac with tmj. Dr didn't and dentist didn't. Fast forward to now. Back on Prozac. Back with Tmj. :( Loved Prozac. Got rid of my ruminating thoughts and anxiety. I would give it a ten except for the tmj. Giving Zoloft a try. Hopefully no tmj."

Ghost girl December 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had severe anxiety all my life sweaty hands, sweaty feet, shaky feel like your vibrating inside dizzy light-headed it is an awful way to live and until I was an adult with kids of my own. l had no treatment but now I have literally tried every depression and anxiety medication there is and Prozac has helped me the most without unbearable side effects."

hope12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2016

"I took this medicine for three months and stated to notice uncontrolled, constant muscle twitching in my feet and legs, that was 15 years ago. Try to imagine your leg muscles twitching 24/7/365 for the rest of your life, that's what I'm dealing with and it's horrible. I'd think twice before putting this chemical into your body. Before this I was on Paxil for four years with pretty good results and no major side effects; wish I had stayed on that."

Painaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi everyone, I experienced extreme anxiety which then lead to panic disorder. It sounds like it basically started from built up stress but, let me tell you my story as I want people to feel more comfortable and understand what's going on as I have done extensive research on the issue. First, anxiety and panic disorder are awful. You feel like you can't breathe, that you're having a heart attack, you get dizzy, you feel off balance, you get sweaty hands and feet, you're not comfortable and always anxious, sometimes you even feel that you're legs are going to give out. If the above feels like you well I took Prozac and honestly it saved me. "

Fightanxietyforever (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the past few months. The doctor started me on buspirone but it didn't help. I tried lexapro and couldn't take the side effects. I just stated Prozac 10 mg this week. So far no side effects. I just hope it helps soon. My anxiety was bad today. I have anxiety everyday. Just curious if anyone shakes with their anxiety? I just started shaking about a week ago and when I get nervous, it is worse."

#tired01 December 9, 2016

"I was started on Prozac 20mg earlier this week after trying Lexapro previously, and I have already noticed a huge difference! Before, my anxiety and depression got to the point where it was difficult for me to socialize, or to feel like I was "all there". Felt like I was always fighting through a dense fog. The inability to concentrate was exhausting. This medicine feels like it is, slowly but surely, clearing that foggy feeling. I am looking forward to the next few weeks, as I was told that is when it would reap its benefits entirely. I would highly recommend."

The Ponderer December 9, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was going through a breakdown and eating healthy and working out but still life was a mess and I couldn't cope so my PCP prescribed this to get me through. I lost a bunch of weight, fine because I was a tad chunky and became numb to so many things but I was able to cope better and I had a bunch of energy. I couldn't sleep but it was okay with my 75 hour work week. It was hard to concentrate on my medical studies because I would get confused a lot but overall I adjusted and I would get on it again. Getting off it was smooth."

Audriauna-all-day (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Ok, I felt better two days in to treatment. Then, a week in, I am calm. Two weeks in, still calm. Just even. Finally. I've struggled with rapid heartbeats, sweating, panic, fear, talking too fast, gasping for breath because I have so much anxiety, and just a general uncomfortable feeling my whole life. Of course Xanax and meds like that worked, but when they wore off the anxiety would come back worse. This drug Prozac? Like, why didn't I try it earlier. I've been on many other antidepressants and only Cymbalta came close. On 20 mg and my headaches and muscle tension are also reduced. I hope this lasts. The only side effects: early waking, and waking up a few times at night, but I just take some Benadryl and I sleep through the night"

ZoeMushka10 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

"I was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago and have been cancer free since. But my anxiety of cancer or anything recurring was getting the best of me. I tried ciprilex but I got bad headaches so my Dr put me on 20mg Prozac and I have been on it for 3 years and feel great!"

Anonymous November 22, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This was the second antidepressant I tried, worked great for a few months be then it went downhill fast. I stop shortly after it got really bad, however Prozac withdrawal is one of the most emotionally and physically challenging things I've ever done. I do not advise people with even slightly addictive habits to take this, I truely do not like this med, at all, but maybe it works for some people."

Sadboi November 18, 2016

"I was put on 50mg for Anxiety and minor depression 3 years ago. I took it for 2 years, and have been off it for 1. I am about to start again at 20mg daily. It was really a life saver for me. It reduced emotions without touching intellect, and I found it much easier to just roll with things. Unlike other drugs, this one didn't cause cognitive impairment or "fog". I was clear headed and much less high strung. I was able to focus on work, get things done, and deal. However, it should be noted that it doesn't select WHICH emotions it dampens..it dampens all of them. The result is that you can be somewhat "cold" in general. You fail to show empathy when you should. There are also sexual side effects. Orgasms lack pleasure."

DDdr (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2016

"I've been on this medicine for almost ten years. At first it helped me and now I think I am having the long term side effects of the drug. My anxiety is through the roof and I have gained 50 lbs in 6 months. I'm not depressed but have major anxiety, I would say I have a panic attack almost every day. I take 60 MG and was on 80 but had to lower it because I was getting bad chest pain. I'm thinking about going off of it because the anxiety is so bad I can't stand it hardly. I guess for short term use it is a good drug but long term use it sucks, everybody is different though."

Krr9141 (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2016

"I have Obssessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, Anxiety, Anger. I Came off 8 years of venlafaxine with a week of headaches, increased fluid loss, dehydration and difficulty concentrating. 1st day of fluoxetine seemed at first to be similar to past week. After 5 hours, my mind started to feel a little dizzy with accompanying nausea. By evening, nausea heightened and appetite decreased. Next day, within 1 hour, I felt the full effects: vertigo, metallic taste/smell, nausea, alertness, and heart flutter. Within 5 hours, I could no longer remain at a workstation, feeling very dizzy. GP ordered rest, I went home and laid up. The second evening/night: difficulty falling asleep, violent dreams, electrical pulses in brain, anxiety. Third morning: extreme tiredness, brain pulses continuing, vertigo."

Jason Peter Young (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

"About four months ago my anxiety became very bad which eventually led to me becoming depressed. I spent my days in bed, crying and anxious. I had to take time off work and my social life became non-existent. I was eventually put on Fluoxetine at 20mg and then eventually put on 40mg. The side effects I had was extreme tiredness, strange dreams and an increase in anxiety which went away after about four weeks so if you're having side effects hang in there as it can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks for this medication to work. My side effects went and three months after taking this medication I'm a completely different person. I'm motivated, my anxiety has eased so much and my depression has gone. It has given me my life back!"

Anxiety, depression and OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on meds for depression, anxiety and pmdd for over 10 years. Even on Zoloft I would cry at work all the time over little things, take everything personally, Finally, there was a suicidal ideation breaking point for me and I went off Zoloft and on Prozac 20 mg. Within a few days, I felt the depression and sadness lifting. 2 months later, still not depressed. My psychiatrist just upped my Prozac to 30 mg and I'm having trouble sleeping through the night. Overall I feel less emotions and don't care as much about work and other things. I don't react strongly to anything. However, I'm tired a lot and feel much less motivated in all areas of my life. It's better than being depressed &stressed."

Jenn2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

"I have been on these now for around 4 months - they really are impressive. I was previously on Citalopram and Sertraline but didn't find these to be any help, so these were next in my thoughts to try. I have suffered from anxiety, BDD, panics, OCD, overactive thoughts and depressive mood for some time now, and I was recommended to go on these because i was feeling so low always. I also experienced high amounts of anger outbursts from the issues, which have now been cut down greatly thanks to these tablets. Taking these has also improved my relationships. Although I am far from being mentally well, I am happy to say that i am now more stable and hopefully more able to manage the problems better than before. 40mg"

kat1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "With all medications my G.P. gives me daily, is a good reason to try Prozac, I have no days without stress, scared of some health problems, that might kill me, such as brain aneurysm, had 2 surgeries for it, and survived both, first one had less than 50% of surviving, as aneurysm started bleeding, was under for 5 hours, to a coiled process, taking 8 different medication at night and 5 in morning, to help combat diabetic type two, to chronic leg wound open for past 21 years. Scared of everything I do, as stress alone can trigger another brain aneurysm, and I need to stress out, my G.P. freaks out every time I want to try different drugs to ease tension, I smoke marijuana, was licensed by Government, but quit after a year, could write more,.."

Bearminator (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2016

"I recently started feeling what exactly anxiety means. I went to see my GP 3 days ago and that day was the worst day of my life in terms of anxiety level. I was thinking that I will die. I've been prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine. Today is my 3rd day of taking it. Last 2 days was a total hell for me. Level of anxiety went very high. I experienced all side effects like Insomnia, negative thoughts, nausea, light headed, so far. Thanks to all these comments I stay hopeful."

Parissaa October 7, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "For anyone who is hesitant about trying an anti depressant like Prozac because maybe you have too much pride, or you're embarassed that you have to take a pill everyday to feel like yourself. I was suffering with anxiety and depression for about 5 years after a really traumatic car accident and refused to try anything. I'm in my early 20s I thought I was too young. I only wished I would've listened to my body and mind sooner. Prozac changed my life. I only take 20mg and it is incredible. I feel happy.. I feel calm. I feel like my old self. I haven't had any anxiety in months.. I'm not moody. It's like that big dark cloud is finally gone, don't be afraid to try this anti depressant. Im a brand new Me, because of it. I feel invincible"

ChristinaM872 October 6, 2016

174 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac 10mg Changing my life, one day @ a time!! LOVE it!!"

ColetteAdele September 28, 2016

"I had a neutral experience on Prozac, my second SSRI tried for anxiety and depression. Prozac did not really help me but it did not do any harm. I experienced very few side effects aside from increased anxiety for the first week or so. However, I was unable to come off of my klonopin because it did not help my anxiety and I was more suicidal after 5 months of being on it than when I started it."

missschris (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016