User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had the WORST reaction to this medicine. I was on 20mg and my body rejected it terribly. The first few days were fine and then after the 4th day or so I became very glazed over and out of it. It was as if I was a walking zombie. I then started waking up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks. I had never had one before so I was very scared. My doctor told me to come off of it and the withdraw from this was even worse. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital. Overall I had a very negative experience but my mom takes this medicine and she loves it. Could just depend on the person I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was reluctant to go on an SSRI as I was concerned about weight gain and fatigue. However, I was in such a bad headspace back in the spring that I bit the bullet and saw my doctor about it. She prescribed me generic Prozac (fluoxetine). Initially I was on 10 mg, then worked up to 20 mg. It's made such a positive difference. I haven't had any near-panic attacks, and my anxiety feels much more manageable. Life feels easier. I've had some side effects, such as excessive yawning (and I mean excessive!), some mild nausea, and vivid dreams. To me, though, the benefits far outweigh them. I'm going to keep taking it and use the coping skills I learned in therapy."

Julian Paul (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac worked great for me for about 2 years and then it quit being effective. Apparently this experience is so common it's even called "Prozac poop-out." At age 41 I started taking 10 mg daily, then increased to 20. For the first week or two I felt slightly nauseated and had trouble getting an erection. Then those side-effects vanished, and I felt not only happier but more functional (at the time I was a university professor). I wrote 2 published novels during those two years. A wonderful side-effect is that I gained total ejaculatory control. Suddenly I was the lover I'd always wanted to be! But after the Prozac honeymoon, I found myself feeling anxious and depressed again and the Prozac was just making me sleepy. So I quit. C'est la vie."

retired prof (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was very scared of starting Prozac because of the reviews I read. I also had tried lexapro and had major panic attacks that made me go off of it. I have been on Prozac for 4 weeks and am just starting to feel the benefits. I feel I can think more clearly and am not living life in constant stress or fear. I wish I started in sooner. I feel so much better almost like "wow this is what life for non stresses people is like" Side effects I experienced: 2 days out of month felt more anxious then normal and have had a little nausea but hardly any. It's been great."

Kellyp8765 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this drug I rate 10/10 because it wakes your brain up from the dead anxiety isn't that simple, it slows you from growing mentally and expanding because it becomes apart of your life and you lose focus on everything else. I found this to be a miracle drug for anxiety. Not so much for depression because it can cause suicidal thoughts to some degree. Prozac changed my life and career I could not be more satisfied with the result of decreased anxiety."

reviewz July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed 10mg fluoxetine for mild depression, mood swings, and anxiety due to menopause. ( Can not take HRT) The third day started to experience terrible diarrhea for two days. About the fifth day it was absolutely the worst crying I have ever felt. The feelings of despair where overwhelming. Needless to say I contacted my doctor and will not continue taking. Hope it works better for someone else trying it."

Juleen (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having episodes of anxiety approx 1 1/2 yrs ago. Recently became a daily issue. Missing- work/ fishing/ hunting etc. Doc. Prescribed fluoxetine. 20mg daily. By week 2 things had gotten so bad, I was house bound with every side effect known! ReallyBad! Couldn't function, almost lost my very good job! Friend took me to Dr. He said stop taking it and now I take alprazolam when I feel an attack "coming on". Does the trick. Just a reminder not everyone reacts the same to medications!"

Dae-Dae July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been experience anxiety for a long time, and have always been a worry wart in general. I had been going to therapy and my therapist suggested going to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety and prescribed me 20mg of fluoxetine. I gotta say, it has truly helped! I've been on it about 10 weeks now and I feel pretty great! I still get anxiety but nothing compared to what I had before. I'm also generally happier. My only complaints are that I don't sleep as well. I take the fluoxetine in the morning but still find myself waking up through the night which makes me very tired during the day. My libido has also basically disappeared since going on it so I will talk to my doctor about it. Other than that, it's great!"

Annnon July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the magic pill. Taking this drug made me ace my exams and med school interview. My first semester last year was extremely stressful to the point that I wanted to drop out the of college and considered doing something really drastic and rash due to how rubbish I felt. I cried non stop, I struggled with exams. Taking fluoxetine made me less stressed, I was able to concentrate more. I noticed my thinking patterns changed. I was extremely pessimistic and sad about everything before but after taking the drug I started to view everything more positively. I felt like a magic switch redirected my thoughts in a different direction whenever I was thinking something negative. It made me more social and easier to get along with."

Kitthaygai (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking prozac in April of 2016 for anxiety and depression. It took about a month to actually start working. I feel better going into public and don't freak out and go into the bathroom. I'm still depressed but its improved so much. It gave me side effects like lose of appetite. I lost 10 pounds my first month taking it and I was always tired but had trouble falling asleep. Another negative is if I miss it a day I have painful headaches and lash out on everyone and treat them terrible."

bug. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "So I have always suffered from anxiety and I went to therapy for a while and my therapist suggested seeing a mental health nurse practitioner who can maybe set me up with something. She referred me to the doctor who prescribed me Prozac and it's been working great! I've been on it for about a month now. The first two weeks were a little rough, I was feeling more depressed and experienced a loss of appetite and even threw up a couple of times (though I'm not sure if that was the medicine or if I caught a stomach bug). However at about the 3rd week I started feeling great! I was much happier and more engaged at work. I've been feeling so good I'm starting to think I may have had depression. My only complaint is my sex drive is totally gone"

Anon2345 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "So I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. To treat PTSD and OCD intrusive thoughts. I'm on 20mg taken in the morning. I'm on my 11th day. Today I woke up feeling extremely anxious. Border of a panic attack so I took half of a 0.5 lorazepam to take the edge off. I do notice that at times my intrusive thoughts and normal ones just race going back and forth. But physically I am calm. I'm not breaking down as easily which I have noticed improvement. This is why I'm hanging in there. And giving this a chance. I do notice something that has heightened, and that would be my urge to run and be outside. It's all fed by my anxiety that's why I don't let it bother me much. I have noticed that I am walking outdoors more often."

Juvelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking fluoxetine in April for social anxiety/OCD. I was hooked on drugs for 4 years that's what caused it. I've been sober for 2 years but unfortunately my mind didn't repair itself. I felt a difference with my anxiety straight away. But it took 6 weeks for it to really start working fully . I kept thinking in that first 6 weeks that I should have kept upping the dose because at times it didn't feel like it was working. But exactly 6 weeks in. Big difference in how I was feeling . Basically no anxiety at all. Highly recommend this medication and I had hardly any side effects. I tried Zoloft years ago and the side effects were terrible. Fluoxetine is much much better. Stick with it . It's worth it"

Mad_On_Her (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It took about a month to work, but I no longer have severe anxiety when I am trying to sleep. I don't know how I went so long without it."

Chelsiedawn89 May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Life changer"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and panic attacks a few months ago and this medication has totally changed my life. I used to be in a near constant state of anxiety and panic, it got to the point that I was having frequent crippling panic attacks. I was prescribed prozac for anxiety and hydroxyzine for panic attacks. The prozac works so well the panic attacks were gone in a week, and I think I have only used the hydroxyzine a few times (it doesn't really work) I would like another medication for panic attacks (even though I rarely have them, I'd like to have it just in case) however prozac has been absolutely wonderful for anxiety."

renem112212 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was diagnosed by my GP with postpartum depression/anxiety in September 2016 when my daughter was 10 months old. I started seeing a psychologist weekly and taking medication from the beginning of 2017. I have been taking a 10mg dose of Lovan (Prozac) each day for approximately 8 weeks now and over the past week I have noticed a big difference in my mental health. Sure, I still get those feelings of sadness from time to time, but not as frequently as I was. Prior to these past 8 weeks I was having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore, and recently these thoughts are no longer haunting me. I hope to God I am only going to improve from here on in. My advice is, give the medication time to work! I am SO thankful I pushed through the bad days."

TaylahH93 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taken fluoxotine before, medication free for 4 years, I remember why I stopped. I know it's not a magic cure and that the first few weeks will always make you feel worse before you start improving but I would never take this again. Sweating, increased anxiety, violent mood swings, weight loss, crying, loss of appetite and an Ambulance trip to A and E due to kidney failure (which I have never suffered before) nearly 2 weeks off this and my kidney funtions are slowly returning to how they should be. A lot of time off work however which is now a whole new stress with loss of money and what is increasingly seemingly an addiction to codeine. PLEASE to anyone taking these, be careful x"

SMELLY ElF 89 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Personal experience: 1. Put up with the initial uncomfortable feelings of dizziness, increased anxiety, insomnia, lethargy, (the anxiety is usually your fears related to taking medicine and the 'what ifs', medicine alone can not make you think bad things. 2. After 2 weeks (yes I was one of the unlucky few who had very bad side effects for all that time but I stuck with it) the therapeutic effects start coming through eventually 3. Don't just assume medicine will make you completely happy, you still need to actively change your life to fix the root causes of anxiety or depression i.e do mediation, quit drinking, do CBT, take up exercise, see a therapist, be around people more."

Tomtom82 April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I should have been on this sooner. I'm a 26 year old recent law school graduate enduring the bar exam- unfortunately twice. My first round of studying I was crying daily, couldn't sleep, was irritable, extremely depressed, anxious- I am normally these things, but it was heightened by the bar exam. My first time taking the exam, I didn't come close to finishing the exam on the second day. I was crying and couldn't control my panic attacks. Second round of studying for the test, I decided to see a psychiatrist who gave me Prozac. I love it. I feel like a normal person. A better version of who I was. I feel even, I don't have panic attacks, don't cry, I feel great."

Tammy6789 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking 90mg once-weekly Prozac for anxiety and PMDD. I have taken this in the past and it was amazing for improvement of my mood. I will only be taking it 2 weeks out of the month. I didn't have the anxiety previously, but I am hoping the results will be amazing this time too. I have high hopes that this will get me through this rough patch. The only downfall I have seen for my body, and this has been my experience with all SSRI's, after about 6 months of treatment, I become like a blank slate and void of emotion. I'm not depressed, but I'm not happy either. I don't feel anything. Hopefully as I am about 10 years older, that has changed for me, and since I am only taking 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off."

KG1980 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is my 4th review since 2014. Prozac has almost completely eliminated my anxiety episodes. Weight loss ceased some time ago and I gained weight back most likely due to drinking. Appetite is normal, bowel movements are more normal than ever-sorry, but when I had severe anxiety that was a big problem. I can speak in large group settings with no problem, travel without issues and deal with stressful situations effectively. Overall, I feel great with no side effects. Cons: Drinking can be an issue. Definitely drink moderately, eat before drinking and drink plenty of water. Alcohol can sneak up on you and cause drowsiness or blackouts. Believe me I know......."

wickedsmile March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Aged 41 I spent every day thinking that I had cancer first finding a lump in my stomach and after GP told me this was nothing I was fine for a month or so until I then thought I had found a lump in my groin, I couldn't take anymore and broke down in front of my wife due to the exhausting worry. I had always been a worrier but this was more and was taking control of my life. I couldn't go out of the house on my own I was irritable and depression was taking hold. GP prescribed me Diazapam which helped like a sticking plaster and I was then put on 20mg Prozac. Please give at least 7 weeks to work and you do feel worse before feeling better! Trust me! Brilliant."

Steadyhand March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This was prescribed for my 14-year-old's anxiety/depression and panic attacks. It turned our lives upside down, my daughter was on it for three terrible weeks. It increased her anxiety and the severity of her panic attacks by a lot. The black box warning happened, my daughter was suicidal on several occasions. We did gene testing during this time (Genomind) and it showed she would have an adverse reaction to it. Took her off of it and within two days she felt much better. Genetic testing should be protocol for all doctors prescribing these meds, and please be cautious giving your teenager anti-depressants."

Never Prozac Again for Us (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hello All, I decided to post my experience with Prozac to support others as well. I was suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Prior to this I had no prior history from my mental disorders, so this was all new to me.. ( it was also interfering with my life, work, social life) I decided to see a psychiatrist. She Recommended Prozac. The first 4 weeks it was really tough. I had really bad nausea, I had constant headaches, I felt like my brain was being rewired, I felt out of it, I couldn't sleep well. Once I hit the 5th week and beyond everything started getting better, I have been on for 4 Months on Prozac and I feel like my old self, I feel normal again and all the symptoms are gone and the anxiety and panic attacks are gone."

LILYF March 7, 2017