User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Hot Flashes

"I've been using fluoxetine now for 2 and a half months and it didn't work immediately. The first week it definitely reduced the flashes by about 66%. The next few weeks it gradually reduced more and more. This is where I am now..hot flushes.. about 2 very slight, I can hardly class it as a hot flush anymore. I've had about 2 night sweats in the past month. My angry moods have gone and will not be persuaded to stop taking this medication. Its a little miracle that has changed my life for the better.. yaaaaaaaayy"

Themaiden1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered 25 to 35 hot flashes day and night, heavily for around 2 years it has affected my quality of life in every way. My work uniform saturated. Then in winter I get chills after the flashes that last up to four to five minutes. Sometimes just over. Anyway I asked the doc a few days ago for small dose of prozac. I feel odd for sure. But not to bad. My triggers that I know of are smoking, tea, coffee, soda, icecream, chocolate...spices, etc. Everything I love. Anyway I cut back on smokes and soda. Cut out heaps of spices. This is day 2 of 10mg of prozac. Will keep updating this thread. Now day 6. Flashes have become shorter and less intense. I'm having maybe 4 at night. Compared to 12 to 15. Through the day maybe 6.."

Keza64 September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update: 24days in and I'm done. I could deal with all the side effects but on day 22, something called brain zaps started. They are painful "zaps" and continue through out the day. I thought I must be having an aneurism. I HAVEN'T MISSED A DAY. 20mg. Calling Doctor for best way to exit this. I rather put up with the night sweats."

Stop the hot flash August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"8 days in and I feel gross. I'm nauseous, feel blah, runny nose (read that was a side effect for "mature" women), light headed and sweating bullets. This is suppose to help with the hot flashes? I'm trying to be patient. Ready to quit."

Stop the night sweats July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I totally agree with using this drug . I am going through menopause and have had blood taken to make sure I am . After talking to the doctor she upped my dose from 20 to 40mg as every 3rd week I was very anxious and totally forgetting things not sleeping overthinking and just feeling down and less confident horrible feeling. I had sweats but not too bad as I was already on fluoxetine but once a month things got worse . It's saved me and my relationship and levelled things our for me . Don't leave it us women shouldn't suffer from menopause... go ask for help "

Missmatch July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It absolutely worked for me! I was really suffering with hot flushes - really badly - had to get up in the middle of the night and lie next to a fan and a cold hairdryer - didn't really want to go on HRT but my doctor wouldn't do that anyway because I was trying to get my high blood pressure under control - anyway she suggested I try taking fluoxetine 20mg a day as she had had good results with some other patients really suffering with hot flushes - IT WORKS IT WORKS! After about 2 weeks I was a different person and 6 months later I am totally clear of the awful hot flushes! Very happy lady!"

Jool (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been having night sweats for about 2years. All the other Symptoms hot flushes nightmare. Life was getting unbearable. I can't go on HRT as My mum died very young with breast Cancer. My GP had spoken to me about fluxotine, I thought I will try. I did think no way will this work!! Found this site and thought what's there to loose. OMG I'm 10 days into taken the drug and what a turn around. I clean Doctors houses for a living My own little Business. I had told one of the Doctor's I work for about getting put onto the drug. She couldn't believe that this would work as she does prescribe medication to her patient's. She knows what these drugs are used for obviously. One of her colleagues is menopausal she is passing on the information!!"

Wee Fairy Duster (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well looky here. I wanted to see what was going on with my body and found these interesting posts. I have been having some issues that are sending me to oncology and talk of leukemia. About 2 months ago I stopped going on Prozac just to clear out my body with a few different meds. Night sweats were one deal that my oncology doc brought up (I have the mutated gene for all the ! and ? to go up about leukemia, but have not had the bone marrow test yet, only because I am a wimp) and I have flashes throughout the night, but she is saying sheet wetting sweats. Not them, but i am ripping off my sheets like I just had my hysterectomy back in 2001. WHY I HAVE flashes is beyond me, but that Prozac apparently took control of them, so am back on."

Karen in NC (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr. gave me 20mg .. lost weight .. hot flashes totally disappeared .. no depression or anger or sadness .. still a little tired but b12 Injection helps .. I don't want to stop the medication .. for me it's all positive .. I'm happy and easier to get along with .. "

Menopause no more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At 27 my ovaries were removed which sent me into abrupt and severe menopause. For 9 years I suffered debilitating hot flashes and not even the hormones seemed to work. Few doctors were comfortable prescribing them anyway, I often had to beg for my medication. About two weeks ago I began taking Prozac, and noticed almost immediately my flashes were less frequent, less intense, and less in duration. Last night I covered up in bed and waited purposefully for the flash. All I felt was a warming and never even broke a sweat. Usually I get so hot my skin feels like it's being pricked because my capillaries are bursting. The flashes are gone. After a decade of suffering I'm finally free. I wish a doctor would have told me this information before."

happy lady 2016 May 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I knew years ago when I started on fluoxetine for depression and anxiety how it helped my hot flushes (as we in NZ call them) not only that but it helped by fibromyalgia. So it killed not two birds with one stone but 3. I tried to come off the drug last year by weaning myself for 8 months. Wasn't successful so went back on them. More so just recently I was given Lovan at the chemist and never thought much of it being another generic of Prozac. But, I started to go down hill, with anxiety, sore bones, headaches and worse of all hot flushes. Finally I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the Lovan. So now I'm back on fluoxetine. So being Generic doesn't mean the same for everybody! This should be publised more for all."

kiwikazza (taken for 10 years or more) May 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Fluoxetine for depression and realized a week or so later my hot flashes decreased in intensity and frequency. I thought I was imagining until I found this site and read the comments. 20m has made me a happier, more comfortable person!"

Jan K April 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started the drug for anxiety related to perimenopause. Hot flashes have only increased in number and severity. The meds don't seem to do anything to help."

drkk April 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I didn't want to take hormones for hot flashes but the hot flashes were bad enough that I was going to try hormone therapy anyway. My family doctor suggested fluoxetine or Prozac for hot flashes. I had never heard of taking an antidepressant for hot flashes before so I studied before saying yes. It started working after just a few days. I have occasional hot flashes that are milder than before an way way less frequent. 20 mg is the dose that works for me. I tried reducing to 10 mg for a few months but it didn't work as well as the 20 mg. I have been on this for 16 months now. On the flip side it has also helped with some anxiety issues I didn't realize I was experiencing. : )"

radicalbuff February 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having hot flashes every night from being peri-menopause and I recently started on 20 mg of prozac. It took approximately 3 weeks for it to start working and I swear by it by the 4th week not one hot flash. I am feeling so much relief from prozac. Not only have my hot flashes gone away but my moods are stable and I feel great!"

Floq (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been having SEVERE hot flashes for about a year, mild ones for a year before that. I can't take the normal meds due to high risk of breast cancer so my PCP put me on Prozac. I thought to myself there was no way it would help but after 2 days I noticed a big difference, and after 5 days they are nearly gone, I'm on 10 mg D. I take it in the morning."

LJSrmr2010 November 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Actually felt cold on a summer day and had to put on a sweater (5 days into medication). Perhaps it is a good medicine for the hot flashes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was told for years Prozac would be great for me. When my doctor told me about Prozac for my hot flashes I signed on ASAP. I was hoping for a double whamie. Yes, they took care of the hot flashes rather quickly and the happiness side a bit later. I am on 10mg and would like to get a larger dosage. Next conversation with the doctor. TRY IT."

lavt0422 September 28, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac (fluoxetine) I have been taking 10mg every 3 days for hot flashes for 2 years now. It has worked very well for me. I also don't have the mood swings. When I was taking 20mg everyday it was to much, So I talked with my doctor and changed it around. If you are having problems you may be taking to much. Talk to your doctor I did and I feel great."

alrolly September 20, 2009