User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Hot Flashes

Also known as: Prozac, Sarafem, Selfemra, Rapiflux

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Ethel August 8, 2019

"I have just been prescribed these after a phone consultation with a doctor from the practice I am registered with. My symptoms were night sweats and hot flushes, brain fog, mood swings, joint pains, lethargy, frequent toilet visits and tiredness. So far all I have read about this product it only treats anxiety, depression and OCD. Not sure if I should take this if it makes me worse"

Bubbs · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 7, 2019

"I shared my experience on here back in June this year. Symptoms have not improved after a year (Aug 2018) of being on Fluoxetine so have been back to my GP yesterday and have had the dosage increased from 20mg to 40mg. Feeling of nausea is normal...felt sickly this morning. Here’s hoping and fingers crossed that this new dosage works. I’m 59 years old so need to get these flushes to stop as they now occur at night time."

Bubbs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 22, 2019

"I must be the only one on this site that doesn’t think that Fluoxetine are great! I was prescribed these in August 2018 as my hot flushes were terrible...my face was literally running with sweat (not great look) and having to change my clothes several times a day. Here we are in June 2019 and I’m still suffering. I don’t want to go on to HRT as worried about side effects"

Jokin70 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

"Was really feeling down and always in pain with osteoarthritis/fibromyalgia? Not sleeping, hot flushes, hating my life! Saw 3 different drs who all recommend 20mg of fluoxetine , I was not convinced of using an antidepressant for peri menopause and arthritis but on 3rd Dr recomedation thought I would give it a try. Results have been amazing, 6 weeks later I am happier, have lost weight have loads more energy and feel like the old me again, hot flushes not completely stopped yet but hopefully they will get better!"

Evie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

"Have been on 20 mg Fluoxetine once a day for about six weeks. Hot flashes have decreased somewhat but not disappeared, however I have had three weeks of diarrhoea and need to come off. Not disappointed as unconvinced it was really working."

Swimgirl · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

"Put on fluoxetine 7 days ago for hot sweats in the morning and evening, It has been absolutely brilliant stopped after day 4 I feel great no side effects and no hot sweats I'm in UK and have underactive thyroid so I don't pay for prescriptions"

Maggie · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2019

"This is my first time ever writing on a forum but feel compelled since these tablets have been a mini miracle. I can sleep! I’m not shouting at my children! I like my husband again! I’m being nice to my work colleagues! I’m looking forward to my 50th birthday! My holiday to Mexico! OK I’m yawning a lot which is rather odd but otherwise I’m a thrilled and also grateful to all of the lovely ladies who have taken the time to post on this forum. For anybody reading this, my doctor wanted to see me on week three and I was feeling a little odd and unsettled. But great now I’m week four. Long may this positive feeling continue."

Ymg February 10, 2019

"I have just started today on 1 x 20mg for hot flushes and I feel lightheaded "

Jul1962 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2019

"I’m in the menopause so was having hot flushes, low mood etc. I’ve tried 4 lots of HRT all made me have heavy prolonged bleeding so Prozac was my last hope. It works. Hot flushes not nearly as bad, low mood gone. The other symptoms of menopause are still there but a lot easier to cope with now. I do have nausea in the morning after taking the pill and it makes my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) worse but I can cope with that. Feel so so much better"

ShazzaB · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2018

"Hi I have been taking Fluoxetine for 6 months now 20mg per day. Worked fantastic and no side effects to speak of. However now I find the night sweats and flashes coming back??? Not sure why? I take in the mornings sometimes 6am but recently sometimes at 8am so not sure if thats it or should I up the dose??? Just wondered if anyone else had found this situation ??"

Doxiemom July 10, 2018

"Perimenopause symptoms set in within weeks of my hysterectomy & the hot flashes were keeping me awake and as frequent as 3 per hour. I cannot take estrogen due to breast cancer in my family history so I decided to try Prozac after 1 other trial with paroxetine. The hot flashes stopped immediately! I forgot I was even going thru this stage in life! Irritability has lessened as well!!"

Themaiden1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2017

"I've been using fluoxetine now for 2 and a half months and it didn't work immediately. The first week it definitely reduced the flashes by about 66%. The next few weeks it gradually reduced more and more. This is where I am now..hot flushes.. about 2 very slight, I can hardly class it as a hot flush anymore. I've had about 2 night sweats in the past month. My angry moods have gone and will not be persuaded to stop taking this medication. Its a little miracle that has changed my life for the better.. yaaaaaaaayy"

Keza64 September 11, 2017

"I have suffered 25 to 35 hot flashes day and night, heavily for around 2 years it has affected my quality of life in every way. My work uniform saturated. Then in winter I get chills after the flashes that last up to four to five minutes. Sometimes just over. Anyway I asked the doc a few days ago for small dose of prozac. I feel odd for sure. But not to bad. My triggers that I know of are smoking, tea, coffee, soda, icecream, chocolate...spices, etc. Everything I love. Anyway I cut back on smokes and soda. Cut out heaps of spices. This is day 2 of 10mg of prozac. Will keep updating this thread. Now day 6. Flashes have become shorter and less intense. I'm having maybe 4 at night. Compared to 12 to 15. Through the day maybe 6.."

Stop the hot flash August 13, 2017

"Update: 24days in and I'm done. I could deal with all the side effects but on day 22, something called brain zaps started. They are painful "zaps" and continue through out the day. I thought I must be having an aneurism. I HAVEN'T MISSED A DAY. 20mg. Calling Doctor for best way to exit this. I rather put up with the night sweats."

Stop the night sweats July 29, 2017

"8 days in and I feel gross. I'm nauseous, feel blah, runny nose (read that was a side effect for "mature" women), light headed and sweating bullets. This is suppose to help with the hot flashes? I'm trying to be patient. Ready to quit."

Missmatch July 26, 2017

"I totally agree with using this drug . I am going through menopause and have had blood taken to make sure I am . After talking to the doctor she upped my dose from 20 to 40mg as every 3rd week I was very anxious and totally forgetting things not sleeping overthinking and just feeling down and less confident horrible feeling. I had sweats but not too bad as I was already on fluoxetine but once a month things got worse . It's saved me and my relationship and levelled things our for me . Don't leave it us women shouldn't suffer from menopause... go ask for help "

Jool · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2016

"It absolutely worked for me! I was really suffering with hot flushes - really badly - had to get up in the middle of the night and lie next to a fan and a cold hairdryer - didn't really want to go on HRT but my doctor wouldn't do that anyway because I was trying to get my high blood pressure under control - anyway she suggested I try taking fluoxetine 20mg a day as she had had good results with some other patients really suffering with hot flushes - IT WORKS IT WORKS! After about 2 weeks I was a different person and 6 months later I am totally clear of the awful hot flushes! Very happy lady!"

Wee Fairy Duster · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2016

"I had been having night sweats for about 2years. All the other Symptoms hot flushes nightmare. Life was getting unbearable. I can't go on HRT as My mum died very young with breast Cancer. My GP had spoken to me about fluxotine, I thought I will try. I did think no way will this work!! Found this site and thought what's there to loose. OMG I'm 10 days into taken the drug and what a turn around. I clean Doctors houses for a living My own little Business. I had told one of the Doctor's I work for about getting put onto the drug. She couldn't believe that this would work as she does prescribe medication to her patient's. She knows what these drugs are used for obviously. One of her colleagues is menopausal she is passing on the information!!"

Karen in NC · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 14, 2016

"Well looky here. I wanted to see what was going on with my body and found these interesting posts. I have been having some issues that are sending me to oncology and talk of leukemia. About 2 months ago I stopped going on Prozac just to clear out my body with a few different meds. Night sweats were one deal that my oncology doc brought up (I have the mutated gene for all the ! and ? to go up about leukemia, but have not had the bone marrow test yet, only because I am a wimp) and I have flashes throughout the night, but she is saying sheet wetting sweats. Not them, but i am ripping off my sheets like I just had my hysterectomy back in 2001. WHY I HAVE flashes is beyond me, but that Prozac apparently took control of them, so am back on."

Menopause no more · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2016

"Dr. gave me 20mg .. lost weight .. hot flashes totally disappeared .. no depression or anger or sadness .. still a little tired but b12 Injection helps .. I don't want to stop the medication .. for me it's all positive .. I'm happy and easier to get along with .. "

happy lady 2016 May 7, 2016

"At 27 my ovaries were removed which sent me into abrupt and severe menopause. For 9 years I suffered debilitating hot flashes and not even the hormones seemed to work. Few doctors were comfortable prescribing them anyway, I often had to beg for my medication. About two weeks ago I began taking Prozac, and noticed almost immediately my flashes were less frequent, less intense, and less in duration. Last night I covered up in bed and waited purposefully for the flash. All I felt was a warming and never even broke a sweat. Usually I get so hot my skin feels like it's being pricked because my capillaries are bursting. The flashes are gone. After a decade of suffering I'm finally free. I wish a doctor would have told me this information before."

kiwikazza · Taken for 10 years or more May 1, 2016

"I knew years ago when I started on fluoxetine for depression and anxiety how it helped my hot flushes (as we in NZ call them) not only that but it helped by fibromyalgia. So it killed not two birds with one stone but 3. I tried to come off the drug last year by weaning myself for 8 months. Wasn't successful so went back on them. More so just recently I was given Lovan at the chemist and never thought much of it being another generic of Prozac. But, I started to go down hill, with anxiety, sore bones, headaches and worse of all hot flushes. Finally I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the Lovan. So now I'm back on fluoxetine. So being Generic doesn't mean the same for everybody! This should be publised more for all."

Jan K April 12, 2016

"I started taking Fluoxetine for depression and realized a week or so later my hot flashes decreased in intensity and frequency. I thought I was imagining until I found this site and read the comments. 20m has made me a happier, more comfortable person!"

drkk April 6, 2016

"Started the drug for anxiety related to perimenopause. Hot flashes have only increased in number and severity. The meds don't seem to do anything to help."

radicalbuff February 12, 2016

"I didn't want to take hormones for hot flashes but the hot flashes were bad enough that I was going to try hormone therapy anyway. My family doctor suggested fluoxetine or Prozac for hot flashes. I had never heard of taking an antidepressant for hot flashes before so I studied before saying yes. It started working after just a few days. I have occasional hot flashes that are milder than before an way way less frequent. 20 mg is the dose that works for me. I tried reducing to 10 mg for a few months but it didn't work as well as the 20 mg. I have been on this for 16 months now. On the flip side it has also helped with some anxiety issues I didn't realize I was experiencing. : )"

Learn more about Hot Flashes