User Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Prozac

Fluoxetine has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 79% of those users who reviewed Fluoxetine reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine

RedWax · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2021

“Best antidepressant I have ever been on. Was put on it in a psych hospital after a suicide attempt. 40mg gave me the energy and focus I needed to keep up with work and maintain a clean home, without sending me into full-blown mania (thanks to Depakote no doubt). Easily tolerated by me and stopping had withdrawal symptoms. Can't speak to it's effectiveness for anxiety, but depression was just a word when I was on it. Going to try to get back on this since Effexor just is not working for me.”

Jo · Taken for 10 years or more February 24, 2021

“Taking for almost 15 years. Keeps me sane and happy”

Emmi · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 22, 2021

“Ever since I was a teenager I struggled with rollercoaster relationships, extreme reactions, self harm, impulsivity, and low moods. I took 20mg of Prozac for a year, noticed an improvement in my quality of life and then decided I didn’t need it anymore. 2 years off and the negative moods and patterns of behavior returned. I re-started prozac with 10mg dosage for 6 weeks and I noticed an improvement but then reached a plateau. A psychiatrist increased my dosage to 20mg again 2 weeks ago and I’ve been feeling much better- excited about life again and not so hung up on if my boyfriend is cheating or if everyone hates me. My appetite is actually a little decreased and I have not gained weight like some others. My sex drive is regular (mentally at least-the physical arousal is less) but that’s a good thing for me. My experience with Prozac has been nothing but great.”

Taylor20 November 5, 2019

“On fluoxetine 20mg day for the last 8 months. I was prescribed Prozac B4 but took it irregularly I didn’t trust it would help and didn’t care if it did. It wasn’t until I saw my GF face during a low for me that I realised I didn’t need to be this way and I should give Prozac another try. I still feel low and can spend a day or two in bed every other week but it has definitely helped my mood swings. I have noticed that I react differently, especially when I’m driving, I used be mad at other people’s driving as if they were doing it to purposely upset me now I just observe and get over it. I find that I am able to get my words out without stuttering or biting my tongue and then panicking because I’ve messed up while talking to someone, then not even remember the conversation because all I was focused on was how I pronounced words wrong. Now I feel more confident say my words calmly and clearly, if I make a mistake I correct it and move on without panicking or loosing focus on the conversation.”

RobynJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2017

“Prozac changed my life, I suffered with rapid mood changes several times a day. My relationships struggled in all parts of my life but mostly romantically. I started taking Prozac when things got really bad while I was pregnant. Almost 2 months after I started taking it a tragedy happened and I couldn't understand why I felt so peaceful and content but then I realised I wasn't feeling in such extreme ways and that I had felt the same mood for at least 3 days. I think that was the happiest realization I've ever had. I'll never forget the day.”

Kitty · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

“I have been on these meds for 3 weeks almost and I love it!!! I feel less hungry and super confident. My anxiety has gone from a 8 to 0. I feel the benefits of this drug where as I have taken many other antidepressants and felt nothing. I don’t feel sick when I take it without food. I wish I tried this years ago!!”

emily_h93 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 3, 2019

“Prozac is the most effective medication I have ever been prescribed for borderline personality disorder, and I have trialled a lot of medications. The only ones that are more effective in dampening my intense mood swings and periods of distress are benzodiazapines. It doesn't fix everything but it allows me to think clearly and respond to a situation without being emotionally overwhelmed. I rated it a little lower because it causes weight gain (about 5-10kg) in me and totally eliminates my sex drive but honestly its worth it to live a normal life.”

Elly July 24, 2020

“SOOOO!! If I could give this fluoxetine a minus rating I would. I came into hospital cause my sister had overdosed again. I ended up having an anxiety attack in ER waiting room and had to be triaged as well. They spoke to me and put me on fluoxetine. About a week and a half later I came in saying I need to be put into the psych unit because I keep having self harm out in public or alone etc. just everywhere and anywhere. They sent me HOME! I then went back THE NEXT DAY!! waited in ER for 13 hours and then was finally in the psych ward, was weened off Fluoxetine and out onzoloft and life has been fine and dandy ever since”

Suesun · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 17, 2014

“At first I was afraid. After taking it for almost a little over a year now, I would be the opposite afraid not to. My family noticed a positive change in behavior and I lead an almost normal life.”

Misty · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2018

“Prozac helps with my BPD and depression. I’ve been taking Prozac for over a year now and I’m much better on it than without.”

Suzie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2018

“I have been on this med for the past 6 months. At 1st I was unsure about taking it. Now I can say that I am SURE that taking it was the BEST thing I live a very normal life.”

Lexi December 21, 2019

“I’ve had issues with psych meds in the past. Seroquel made me so angry and Zoloft wasn’t doing the job I’ve been on Prozac for a week with lamical I’ve seen results in my mood immediately”

bkms · Taken for 10 years or more February 8, 2015

“Helps with depression and anxiety.”

T May 29, 2020

“No negative side effects. Also no noticeable positive change”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder