User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Hot Flashes

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 89 ratings for the treatment of Hot Flashes. 66% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Relieved · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

“I am almost 63 years old and suffer severe hot flashes. They've never stopped unless I was taking hormones. I've tried natural supplements, but no relief. My primary care manager refused to prescribe any more hormones. But she did suggest paroxetine. I got the prescription filled but did not take it when I found out it is Paxil. I had taken Paxil years ago for depression/stress. It did not go well due to many reasons. But, after no longer being able to deal with the hot flashes, night sweats, no sleep, I started, with a lot of research, the Paroxetine, 10mg every morning. And after 2 weeks I can say that it is going well. Very well. Hot flashes have almost completely stopped. No more waking up in a sweaty puddle, I sleep through the night now. There is no drowsiness or mood swings, no fogginess. I feel so much better. Remarkably so. It was not immediate but has gotten better day by day.”

Roni · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 2, 2020

“I started paroxitine over a year ago for hot flashes and mood swings. It immediately helped I was sleeping better and my moods were balanced. It also helped an anxiety that I never relized I had. I was an over thinker and to sensitive my whole life. I now feel like a better version of myself no more over thinking and my confidence is much better.”

Denise B. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2020

“I started Paxil 10mg for hot flashes about 1 month ago. I was literally having 25-30 severe hot flashes a day. It was embarrassing, I hating going to work and being around people. I would keep a cup of ice on me at all times. This med changed my life! I now have about 3-4 very mild hot flashes a day. It’s more of a heat sensation, no sweating and no embarrassment. I feel normal again and will take it until this part of menopause is over.”

Chihuahuamama · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2014

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I've only been on it for a week, but before taking the medicine, I was up at least 3 times per night changing clothes due to being drenched from night sweats (very disruptive to sleep patterns). Since starting this medicine I have not had one episode of night sweats! Hope it last, it will be a life changer if it does!”

Jody April 7, 2019

“I was taking this drug for about 2 years to help with night sweats and hot flashes, both of which were making me miserable. I stopped taking the drug about 3 months ago because my hot flashes were almost gone and I had no night sweats. BIG MISTAKE! Night sweats came back (at least 5/night). I started back on the drug this morning. I hope it works tonight!!! BTW, I have never had any side affects from this drug and I am on 20 mg.”

Anonymous September 12, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been going through menopause for over 8 years now. I have tried everything during that time. Each medicine worked for a certain time frame, then it was no longer effective. After reading a research study about the effects of Paxil to ease hot flashes I decided to give it a try. Paxil knocked the severe flashes out while decreasing the frequency and severity of the flashes that still occur. Also, Paxil calmed my stress/anxiety which also contributed to the decrease in frequency. ”

Jennifer SS April 12, 2014

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I have been taking Brisdelle for two weeks now, but had to stop taking it due to the unacceptable side effects. It worked like a charm on my hot flashes, reducing them from at least 12-15 times in a 24 hour period (with night sweats) to only 1 per day. However, I found it impossible to sleep, I could not keep my hands and feet still, I had congestion so bad that I thought I had a sinus infection and also suffered blurred vision. I tried taking it in the morning instead of at night, but it made no difference to my insomnia. I have, therefore, discontinued it altogether.”

Mrs. Dee August 29, 2014

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I took the medication for two weeks and it worked like a charm. However, I started to experience extreme pain in my joints (knees, ankles, wrist). Not sure if it is associated with the medicine, but I didn't have all of the aches until I started. I love how the medicine mellowed me out no anxiety or frustration over little things. Hot flashes are at a minimum. Hope it makes it because I would like to continue taking it.”

Tlc0828 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2018

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I have been on this for 2 months. It has worked very well for my hot flashes and night sweats. I have noticed dry mouth and some headaches and some joint pain in my fingers, but that pain goes away during the day. It's worth it though so I can sleep at night without being hot and cold all night and day long. I just drink more water.”

Just Jay July 19, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I took it for 3 months straight. During the 1st month, my hot flashes reduced, by month 3, it seemed like it wasn't helping with the hot flashes much, but I noticed a positive side effect. My overall outlook on life was so much better. Little things that once got on my nerves, slid off my back like a ducks. I asked for something different (grass is greener syndrome) because I wanted more.More hot flash reduction, less anxiety. When I stopped I realized I'd made a terrible mistake. Is been 2 weeks and I'm ready to kill somebody.Moody? Yes? Irritable? Yes. Sweating profusely? Yes .I'm getting back on it today! !!!!”

Mary Matilda March 12, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “Stopped periods 10 years ago. Then suffered hot flashes, severe, in first five years after. In last five years hot flashes really diminished but triggered by anxiety, certain foods, and occasional night sweats. But could be counted on to have at least one episode of night sweats per evening (down from as many as 7 to 10 a day - and leaving me drenched, my clothes soaked!). My GYN recommended Brisdelle two months ago. Am hypersensitive to all meds so was skeptical, in addition to being an RN. Don't like to take drugs of any kind. However, I was desperate. The Brisdelle worked immediately and I haven't had one episode of hot flashes since. Just dry mouth now. Very bad dry mouth!”

Barney Mom · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 5, 2019

“I was hesitant to start Paxil as my PCP recommended for post menopausal hot flashes during the night that was disrupting my sleep, but also did not want to use hormone therapy either. I opted to go with Paxil and it has worked wonders for my hot flashes at night.”

FlushedinTexas · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2020

“I starting noticing improvement in the hot flashes by day 4 on paroxetine and after one month there was significant improvement. Instead of heating up every 30 minutes, I got only about 2 hot flashes in 24 hours. Now I've been taking it for 3 months and notice hardly any hot flashes at all. I tried Estroven and Evening Primrose Oil and did not get much of an improvement. I stopped those when switching to Paroxetine and do not take anything else at this time. I am taking 10mg generic Paroxetine.”

Anonymous September 5, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I've been on Brisdelle about 5 weeks and I absolutely LOVE it!! I noticed the difference after about 4 days. I was a complete mess before starting Brisdelle (moody, depression, major hot flashes, crying, etc) I now feel like a brand new woman. I am so appreciative that my doctor prescribed this for me.”

Nurse · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

“I started a low dose of paroxetine a few weeks ago for hot flashes. Within a couple of weeks, my hot flashes were reduced from several (around 15) a day to one or two ever other day. The severity of the hot flashes has also reduced. The only side effect that I noticed was loose stools, not diarrhea, that only lasted for a couple of weeks.”

Debbie Harrell · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2013

“I was a little afraid to use the medicine. I read alot about it. Just starting paroxetine. Been taking the medicine for two days. I already notice the difficance with my hot flashes and night sweats. I use to throw the covers on and off, but now I keep the covers on and I am not as hot any more. I will continue to use it.”

Bunker2butch April 7, 2014

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “Been taking for three weeks. It has reduced the number of hot flashes from 8-10 a day down to 2-4. Not great results but better. I was hoping for a occasional hot flash, bit daily. I will continue taking the medicine for three more weeks to see if the results improve.”

HP66 June 22, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I was suffering from severe hot flashes ever 35-40min all day, severe day AND night sweats, chills, feeling hot & cold at the same time, I was extremely miserable. I could not go to work, my social and love-life came to an abrupt end. I would get soaking wet and had to remove all clothing every 35-40mins. IT WAS HORRIBLE! This went on for 3 months. Everyone kept telling me it was not going to last long, maybe just a few YEARS. In no way was I going to go for years feeling that way. My doctor prescribe Brisdelle 7.5mg 7 weeks ago and my life is 90% back to normal. Once I started taking this medication, the sweats, chills, and severity of the flashes stopped. I only have mild flashes and hopefully they will end. too.”

ScarlettJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 9, 2020

“I originally was treating my hot flashes with Estroven, which worked for several months. When it stopped working, I decided to increase the dosage of the active ingredients, black cohosh and soy isoflavones. That worked for several months and then stopped working. My doctor then prescribed 10 mg of Paroxetine, and it was like a miracle drug. I went from several hot flashes a day and waking up for five times a night to maybe one very mild hot flash per day. It was the greatest thing. But now, after about nine months, it seems to have stopped working. It’s very frustrating. Hot flashes are coming back even though I continue to take the meds. I don’t think I’ve had a lot of side effects, except I have realized I can’t cry, no matter how stressed, angry or sad I get. It’s weird.”

Golddustwoman249 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “This drug sort of helps with hot flashes -- diminished them by about 75%. HOWEVER, the person who designed the packaging for this drug needs to be fired. I think that most of the expense for this product comes from the overdone packaging alone. The capsules are difficult to get out of the blister packaging. The cardboard wrapping is excessive and impossible to open without the help of scissors and a box cutter!! Terrible, terrible, terrible....”

South side May 7, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I started with horrific hot flashes sweating all night no sleep. Sweating in meetings going out. Couldn't wear any makeup. I started taking Brisdelle about 6 months ago. I did my research . This medication is a life saver. It's expensive as hell, I found a coupon for it and I only pay a 1/4 of what it costs. There was someone saying how terrific the withdrawal Symptoms are you need to be weened off. Not every medicine you can just stop cold turkey. Read all inserts of medicines you are prescribed. Some meds take awhile to get over side effects. This has been a life saver”

Hot and bothered February 27, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “I am beyond furious. Not only did Brisedelle live up to its promise of eliminating night sweats and hot flashes, they failed to mention (as did my doctor) about the side effects when stopping them. After 5 months of taking it, I decided it wasn't working for me. Now, I am left with what I have discovered are "Brain Zaps". There are other ways to help with these symptoms. ”

Kelly64 · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “Been on Brisdelle for ten days. I was having eight to ten hot flashes a day and I was up all night long with them as well. Over the last ten days they have tapered off, with yesterday and today being completely hot flash free! My anxiety is also almost completely gone. I had bouts of nausea in the beginning that came in waves and even woke me up at night, but that seems to have disappeared completely. I hope this continues! I'm very happy with this medication.”

Kim in Texas July 6, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “Ive been on this medication for a year now about a month after having a full hysterectomy. Worked the first night I took it. No hot flashes, no mood swings. I feel great and sleep well. I do experience nausea once in a awhile in the morning but that fades fast with a drink of water or cup of coffee. It's very pricey even with a coupon as I pay out of pocket, but it's worth every dime.”

Mistee37 June 27, 2018

“I was prescribed this medicine yesterday (so it’s new to me) but so far I love it. I have been having hot flashes almost all day long. I live in fl & this makes life hell as it is already extremely hot here. Night sweats were insane. Fatigue, bloating etc etc. Almost instantly after taking this med I noticed a huge difference. I was able to turn my air conditioner from 63 up to 70 last night, and didn’t need my floor fan or ceiling fans. It kept me awake most of last night. I do feel like I’m extremely alert.... a ringing in my ears and a swooshing sound in my head. I can’t wait until the 4-5 weeks when these side effects will go away. I am happier dealing with the minor effects than the all day long hot flashes. I was always so embarrassed to go anywhere, see people etc because I was constantly sweating and then my under garments would be drenched and when I would go into the grocery store or anywhere with air conditioning I’d then freeze. There was no balance whatsoever and now there is!!!!!!”

Ann December 27, 2019

“I have been on PAROXETINE tablets almost a year. I noticed an increase of night sweats. I have not slept through the night in years. I yawn all day long since I have been on this medication. My hot flashes are severe when not taking anything for them. I was taken off the patch and give Paroxetine. I don't know what else to do. I really like to experience an entire night of sleeping.”

DamnedifyoudoDamnedifyoudont November 2, 2019

Brisdelle (paroxetine): “The first couple weeks I slept like a baby. I still sleep like a baby only snore like a trucker. I really like how mellow I feel , less moody, over all happier. I started this medication to help with hot flashes. Now I don’t think I have but one a week, it was 2-3 a day. I think it’s really helped with the hot flashes. I’ve experienced some of the side affects, muscle - joint pain , breathing heavier than normal especially when I go to sleep. When I do fall asleep I sleep like I haven’t slept in decades oh that’s because I also have insomnia if I don’t take the medication. Sometimes I take it just to fall asleep. This can’t be good but what’s worse is my eye twitches like muscle spasms sometimes all day other times off and on through out the day. I’m over the eye twitching. I feel like I’d be better changing my wardrobe and having the hot sweats. Insomnia sucks...So does my eye twitching. I wish I’d never started this medication.”

Kel50 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 30, 2017

“I am using paroxetine for hot flashes. It definitely has helped. It also has helped with anxiety/panic attacks due to perimenopause. After taking this medicine for a year I can say it has really helped. I am very sensitive to medicine so I started at the lowest dose. It has been good for me.”

Learn more about Hot Flashes