User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Hot Flashes

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Stopped periods 10 years ago. Then suffered hot flashes, severe, in first five years after. In last five years hot flashes really diminished but triggered by anxiety, certain foods, and occasional night sweats. But could be counted on to have at least one episode of night sweats per evening (down from as many as 7 to 10 a day - and leaving me drenched, my clothes soaked!). My GYN recommended Brisdelle two months ago. Am hypersensitive to all meds so was skeptical, in addition to being an RN. Don't like to take drugs of any kind. However, I was desperate. The Brisdelle worked immediately and I haven't had one episode of hot flashes since. Just dry mouth now. Very bad dry mouth!"

Mary Matilda March 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Holy Hell is exactly how I feel. I had been taking Brisdelle for 1.5 years. The hot flashes did indeed subside - however, the side affects of this medicine coupled with the fact Noven was acquired by YET another pharmaceutical company - YOU CAN'T PLACE A REP IN THE AREA, DISTRIBUTE YOUR DRUGS, AND THEN FIRE HER-AND NOT REPLACE THEREFORE there is NO medicine or support here. You dumped this drug in the Dr's hands and walked away. After calling Sebula - you act like you don't even care. You have made it impossible to obtain this. I happen to think this is illegal. I just decided to wean myself off this and Premarin. It has been nothing short of a nightmare. If you don't need this drug- DON'T START. Seriously."

HOLY HELL (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking it for 2 weeks now. I do believe it's helping me. I will post again in about 6 weeks. Typically, I get a rush of heat over me a few times a day leaving me with a drenched help and droplets of sweat on face head, neck. Now, so far so good."

CoolerMama February 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Saw relief within 24 hours after starting Paroxetine 12.5 mg. No more hot flashes! I didn't realize how much sleep I was missing. Now I wake up rested. Take them in the am so any energy surge happens in the morning. Only having a teeny bit of nausea and loss of appetite in the evening. Drinking water helps. I'll trade that for no more hot flashes."

Flashless (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have taken the Brisdelle for a year and a half. I LOVE IT! No side effects but it is pricey. I went to the Dr and she suggested I change to the 10mg of Paxil as it is a lot ALOT less expensive. I am going to try it but somewhat nervous about it. Is there anything I should be aware of or leery of?"

jeana berry (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on paroxetine for a little over 3 months. My Dr told me I wouldn't see a difference in my hot flashes from this medicine until at least 2 months. My hot flashes are fierce. I get drenched at least 10 Times at night. And all through the day. I told my Dr I wanted something to work right away, so he gave me clonidine along with it, which I wasn't able to take, cause it made me to sleepy. Anyway, the praxetine did work after 2 months, as long as I don't drink alcohol."

Yny January 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I went through menopause from 50-55 and Paxil was a lifesaver. My gynecologist prescribed it when all of the supplements for menopause symptoms were of no help. Hot flashes have returned at the age of 60 for some reason, and I'm taking Paxil again. Working like a charm with no side effects."

Lilac13 January 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was excited to try this medicine. Having 5 hot flashes a night that wake me up. Haven't had any R.E.M. Sleep for a while. Not sleeping is affecting my exercise and work routine. The only time I don't get hot flashes is when I'm riding my mountain bike. Biking doesn't pay the bills. Took my dose before bed, in about 15 min my head felt different like a rush of something then clarity I guess that was the serotonin release. I thought oh boy I'm gonna sleep. But not the case. Unfortunately I must have opposite effects. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours all night. Had a clear head full of thoughts about stuff I need to do. Still had hot flashes 4 during the night and more in the morning. And then the nausea in the morning also."

Constancekkkkkk November 25, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been using Paroxetine for about 5 years now. Before starting to take it my hot flashes were very severe, more than 10 a day, to the point of exhaustion. I had night sweats and it was difficult to sleep. My social life just disappeared. I did not want to be around people when I was having my hot flashes. Recently I just ran out of Paroxetine and thought nothing about it. I skipped it for about 3 or 4 days. My hot flashes began to appear very strong, as I had not experienced them in a long, long time. I had forgotten what I was taking Paroxetine for. I am back on my 20mg a day, and I don't think I will ever forget to take it or the reason why I am taking it. For me, Paroxetine is a life saver!"

Avispadita October 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine has the worst side effects of any drug I have ever taken. I think it should be taken off the market. Although the hot flashes were diminished a bit, the terrible withdrawl symptoms are worse than the hot flashes ever were. The so called "brain zaps" are debilitating. I have them almost constantly. My Dr. told me to wean myself off it, but since it comes only in capsule form, and only comes in one strength, that is difficult to do. I went from 1xday to every other day then stopped. I realize the weaning process was too short and this is likely the reason for the severe symptoms. I can't help but wonder if these will ever go away. Does anyone know how long this is going to last? I feel like I'm losing my mind."

anti-Brisdelle October 20, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I became extremely emotional, depressed and anxious. Woke up throughout the night sweating and had nightmares when i did manage to sleep. This did not help my hotflashes. I couldn't tolerate it and immediately stopped taking it."

NothappyinGA (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Taking 10 mg* Paroxetine for hot flashes and night sweats. The first day I took it I saw results that night. The only side effect that I've noticed is occassional nausea."

Stephanie G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "A GYN prescribed Brisdelle - it's a low-dose Paxil (7.5 mg) for hot flashes. This Doctor stated that unlike other SSRI's, I would NOT have complications or side effects going on/off them - in the case of running out of supply. This was NOT my experience. After 3-4 days of stopping, I noted an odd sensation connected to my eyes. I told my opthamologist about a "swishing" sound I heard with any movement of my eyes. I finally found others reporting this all over the internet. This also happened in a previous year with Sertraline (Zoloft) - this 'after quitting' side effect lasted a very long time - maybe a year or more! THE DUMBEST, MOST WASTEFUL PACKAGING ON THE PLANET. WHY NOT SIMPLY MAKE 7.5 PAXIL IN A SIMPLE BOTTLE? Pink? Come on!"

CrazyRX's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Ive been on this medication for a year now about a month after having a full hysterectomy. Worked the first night I took it. No hot flashes, no mood swings. I feel great and sleep well. I do experience nausea once in a awhile in the morning but that fades fast with a drink of water or cup of coffee. It's very pricey even with a coupon as I pay out of pocket, but it's worth every dime."

Kim in Texas July 6, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "This drug sort of helps with hot flashes -- diminished them by about 75%. HOWEVER, the person who designed the packaging for this drug needs to be fired. I think that most of the expense for this product comes from the overdone packaging alone. The capsules are difficult to get out of the blister packaging. The cardboard wrapping is excessive and impossible to open without the help of scissors and a box cutter!! Terrible, terrible, terrible...."

Golddustwoman249 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking Paroxetine for hot flushes which were debilitating at work, I didn't sleep always throwing the covers off/on. It has also helped with my anxiety and panic attacks at work, and mood swings at home that were affecting my marriage, initially i did feel dizzy and had no appetite, it has been 2 months now and I feel so much better on the medication i have also lost 5 kilos due to loss of appetite, very happy,"

penny900 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I started with horrific hot flashes sweating all night no sleep. Sweating in meetings going out. Couldn't wear any makeup. I started taking Brisdelle about 6 months ago. I did my research . This medication is a life saver. It's expensive as hell, I found a coupon for it and I only pay a 1/4 of what it costs. There was someone saying how terrific the withdrawal Symptoms are you need to be weened off. Not every medicine you can just stop cold turkey. Read all inserts of medicines you are prescribed. Some meds take awhile to get over side effects. This has been a life saver"

South side May 7, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been taking Brisdelle for almost a year and it has saved my life. My hot flashes are very infrequent and I can actually sleep at night. I have not any side effects that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, my insurance company refused to pay for it so I'm using the manufacturers coupon. Even with the discount, I'm paying over $70 a month which I cannot afford. When I see my doctor again in June, I will have to get something less costly which I know will not be as effective. I've tried other meds. I'm hoping there is a generic soon or a less costly way to continue taking the drug. It changed my life!!!!"

jcatthelake April 28, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Brisdelle - SUCKS - Why prescribe a medication to help you with the hot flashes YET make you feel miserable (side effect) HEADACHES, nausea, trembling eye, Ewwwww. Really... I rather go thru the hot flashes. BAD BAD medicine. Also I was puking up."

SARI64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started taking paroxetine 10 mg a couple weeks for premenopause symptoms of anxieties depression. First week was hard i had bad headaches and feeling foggy side effects ugh.. the Pharmacy told me start with half a pill until my body adjusted. I gave it a week. I went back on the full pill and I am doing good. I notice a difference I feel more my self. I am grateful I don't know what I'd do without it."

Pretty lady2000 March 16, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Only took one dose. Achy the next morning. 22 hrs after dose dizziness and weakness. My husband could barely get a BP on me and when my pulse came up enough to register it was only 54. I vomited then sweat profusely. My knees hurt severely for an hour. Hot flashes were diminished for the next 3 days. Fine now but still having hot flashes."

zcha (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug is awful, I have been thinking that I have been depressed for years after being prescribed this for hot flashes and the menopause. Every time I tried to stop I had the most horrific withdrawal symptoms in the world, anger bordering on rage, vertigo and dizziness that make me feel I am going to pass out, sweats, bad dreams, depression and suicidal thoughts of the scale. This drug is making someone a lot of money by underplaying how horrific the withdrawal symptoms are! it is highly addictive because you think you are ill when you try to stop taking it and go back on it! It's disgusting "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After reading other reviews I'm trying it again. My symptoms are so severe that most nights I don't sleep. Not sure if it didn't work the first time It was prescribed due to its counter action with other meds so I'm trying it again."

Hotheaded February 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for 1 year. Hot flashes are mostly gone, I have one occasionally usually in the morning. I ran out and my DR had written prescription for 1 year. I had to call and wait 4 days for the refill. Holy cow was I miserable and within 2 days the flashes were back full force. I am back on it. I do have joint pain in my ankles in the morning, not sure if its the drug or not but interesting others have the joint pain. I also am struggling to lose weight when it used to be so easy, Brisdelle to blame or menopause or both. Its a good drug and does what it says for me. I will continue taking it. By the way I have a coupon from their website and only pay $25 a month for it. It is costly w/no coupon."

Coco68 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Have been on Brisdelle for over 9 months for hot flashes, helped considerably. I would be soaking wet, that doesn't happen anymore. Had to get new insurance, they won't cover Brisdelle but will cover paxil so my Dr. has put me on 10 mg. So far so good, hot flashes are 3-5 daily but really very mild, maybe the extra 2.5 mg will help my mood. :)"

Cabogrl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016