User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Hot Flashes

"I have to review this medication in hopes women that are suffering with menopausal symptoms may be helped. I read some pretty bad reviews on this drug so I was reluctant to try it. But in the the two weeks that I have taken Brisale my mood has improved and my hot flashes have been reduced to about 1 to 2 a day. Also they are less severe. The night sweats have been reduced to maybe 1 episode per night when before I had 4 to 5. Also my mood is so much better and I feel like my energy has increased. The only drawback is the $200.00 a month cost but I'm increasing my HSA to pay for this drug because I feel so much better."

Joe'smommy June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I was suffering from severe hot flashes ever 35-40min all day, severe day AND night sweats, chills, feeling hot & cold at the same time, I was extremely miserable. I could not go to work, my social and love-life came to an abrupt end. I would get soaking wet and had to remove all clothing every 35-40mins. IT WAS HORRIBLE! This went on for 3 months. Everyone kept telling me it was not going to last long, maybe just a few YEARS. In no way was I going to go for years feeling that way. My doctor prescribe Brisdelle 7.5mg 7 weeks ago and my life is 90% back to normal. Once I started taking this medication, the sweats, chills, and severity of the flashes stopped. I only have mild flashes and hopefully they will end. too."

HP66 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started taking today, Fingers crossed for hep with hot flashes"

coquinabeach June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm amazed that within 2 weeks of taking this medication, and I only took 5mg, my hot flashes symptoms completely subsided. Then I was inconsistent with taking it because I kept forgetting due to caring for my mother. I noticed the darn hot flashes returned, but not as bad. I started taking it consistently again every night, and the hot flashes are completely gone. I feel normal now! Thank God!!"

SheCa April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this hasn't help me at all"

ladyluck89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Stopped periods 10 years ago. Then suffered hot flashes, severe, in first five years after. In last five years hot flashes really diminished but triggered by anxiety, certain foods, and occasional night sweats. But could be counted on to have at least one episode of night sweats per evening (down from as many as 7 to 10 a day - and leaving me drenched, my clothes soaked!). My GYN recommended Brisdelle two months ago. Am hypersensitive to all meds so was skeptical, in addition to being an RN. Don't like to take drugs of any kind. However, I was desperate. The Brisdelle worked immediately and I haven't had one episode of hot flashes since. Just dry mouth now. Very bad dry mouth!"

Mary Matilda March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Holy Hell is exactly how I feel. I had been taking Brisdelle for 1.5 years. The hot flashes did indeed subside - however, the side affects of this medicine coupled with the fact Noven was acquired by YET another pharmaceutical company - YOU CAN'T PLACE A REP IN THE AREA, DISTRIBUTE YOUR DRUGS, AND THEN FIRE HER-AND NOT REPLACE THEREFORE there is NO medicine or support here. You dumped this drug in the Dr's hands and walked away. After calling Sebula - you act like you don't even care. You have made it impossible to obtain this. I happen to think this is illegal. I just decided to wean myself off this and Premarin. It has been nothing short of a nightmare. If you don't need this drug- DON'T START. Seriously."

HOLY HELL (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking it for 2 weeks now. I do believe it's helping me. I will post again in about 6 weeks. Typically, I get a rush of heat over me a few times a day leaving me with a drenched help and droplets of sweat on face head, neck. Now, so far so good."

CoolerMama February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Saw relief within 24 hours after starting Paroxetine 12.5 mg. No more hot flashes! I didn't realize how much sleep I was missing. Now I wake up rested. Take them in the am so any energy surge happens in the morning. Only having a teeny bit of nausea and loss of appetite in the evening. Drinking water helps. I'll trade that for no more hot flashes."

Flashless (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken the Brisdelle for a year and a half. I LOVE IT! No side effects but it is pricey. I went to the Dr and she suggested I change to the 10mg of Paxil as it is a lot ALOT less expensive. I am going to try it but somewhat nervous about it. Is there anything I should be aware of or leery of?"

jeana berry (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on paroxetine for a little over 3 months. My Dr told me I wouldn't see a difference in my hot flashes from this medicine until at least 2 months. My hot flashes are fierce. I get drenched at least 10 Times at night. And all through the day. I told my Dr I wanted something to work right away, so he gave me clonidine along with it, which I wasn't able to take, cause it made me to sleepy. Anyway, the praxetine did work after 2 months, as long as I don't drink alcohol."

Yny January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went through menopause from 50-55 and Paxil was a lifesaver. My gynecologist prescribed it when all of the supplements for menopause symptoms were of no help. Hot flashes have returned at the age of 60 for some reason, and I'm taking Paxil again. Working like a charm with no side effects."

Lilac13 January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was excited to try this medicine. Having 5 hot flashes a night that wake me up. Haven't had any R.E.M. Sleep for a while. Not sleeping is affecting my exercise and work routine. The only time I don't get hot flashes is when I'm riding my mountain bike. Biking doesn't pay the bills. Took my dose before bed, in about 15 min my head felt different like a rush of something then clarity I guess that was the serotonin release. I thought oh boy I'm gonna sleep. But not the case. Unfortunately I must have opposite effects. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours all night. Had a clear head full of thoughts about stuff I need to do. Still had hot flashes 4 during the night and more in the morning. And then the nausea in the morning also."

Constancekkkkkk November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Paroxetine for about 5 years now. Before starting to take it my hot flashes were very severe, more than 10 a day, to the point of exhaustion. I had night sweats and it was difficult to sleep. My social life just disappeared. I did not want to be around people when I was having my hot flashes. Recently I just ran out of Paroxetine and thought nothing about it. I skipped it for about 3 or 4 days. My hot flashes began to appear very strong, as I had not experienced them in a long, long time. I had forgotten what I was taking Paroxetine for. I am back on my 20mg a day, and I don't think I will ever forget to take it or the reason why I am taking it. For me, Paroxetine is a life saver!"

Avispadita October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has the worst side effects of any drug I have ever taken. I think it should be taken off the market. Although the hot flashes were diminished a bit, the terrible withdrawl symptoms are worse than the hot flashes ever were. The so called "brain zaps" are debilitating. I have them almost constantly. My Dr. told me to wean myself off it, but since it comes only in capsule form, and only comes in one strength, that is difficult to do. I went from 1xday to every other day then stopped. I realize the weaning process was too short and this is likely the reason for the severe symptoms. I can't help but wonder if these will ever go away. Does anyone know how long this is going to last? I feel like I'm losing my mind."

anti-Brisdelle October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I became extremely emotional, depressed and anxious. Woke up throughout the night sweating and had nightmares when i did manage to sleep. This did not help my hotflashes. I couldn't tolerate it and immediately stopped taking it."

NothappyinGA (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking 10 mg* Paroxetine for hot flashes and night sweats. The first day I took it I saw results that night. The only side effect that I've noticed is occassional nausea."

Stephanie G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "A GYN prescribed Brisdelle - it's a low-dose Paxil (7.5 mg) for hot flashes. This Doctor stated that unlike other SSRI's, I would NOT have complications or side effects going on/off them - in the case of running out of supply. This was NOT my experience. After 3-4 days of stopping, I noted an odd sensation connected to my eyes. I told my opthamologist about a "swishing" sound I heard with any movement of my eyes. I finally found others reporting this all over the internet. This also happened in a previous year with Sertraline (Zoloft) - this 'after quitting' side effect lasted a very long time - maybe a year or more! THE DUMBEST, MOST WASTEFUL PACKAGING ON THE PLANET. WHY NOT SIMPLY MAKE 7.5 PAXIL IN A SIMPLE BOTTLE? Pink? Come on!"

CrazyRX's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Ive been on this medication for a year now about a month after having a full hysterectomy. Worked the first night I took it. No hot flashes, no mood swings. I feel great and sleep well. I do experience nausea once in a awhile in the morning but that fades fast with a drink of water or cup of coffee. It's very pricey even with a coupon as I pay out of pocket, but it's worth every dime."

Kim in Texas July 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "This drug sort of helps with hot flashes -- diminished them by about 75%. HOWEVER, the person who designed the packaging for this drug needs to be fired. I think that most of the expense for this product comes from the overdone packaging alone. The capsules are difficult to get out of the blister packaging. The cardboard wrapping is excessive and impossible to open without the help of scissors and a box cutter!! Terrible, terrible, terrible...."

Golddustwoman249 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Paroxetine for hot flushes which were debilitating at work, I didn't sleep always throwing the covers off/on. It has also helped with my anxiety and panic attacks at work, and mood swings at home that were affecting my marriage, initially i did feel dizzy and had no appetite, it has been 2 months now and I feel so much better on the medication i have also lost 5 kilos due to loss of appetite, very happy,"

penny900 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I started with horrific hot flashes sweating all night no sleep. Sweating in meetings going out. Couldn't wear any makeup. I started taking Brisdelle about 6 months ago. I did my research . This medication is a life saver. It's expensive as hell, I found a coupon for it and I only pay a 1/4 of what it costs. There was someone saying how terrific the withdrawal Symptoms are you need to be weened off. Not every medicine you can just stop cold turkey. Read all inserts of medicines you are prescribed. Some meds take awhile to get over side effects. This has been a life saver"

South side May 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Brisdelle for almost a year and it has saved my life. My hot flashes are very infrequent and I can actually sleep at night. I have not any side effects that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, my insurance company refused to pay for it so I'm using the manufacturers coupon. Even with the discount, I'm paying over $70 a month which I cannot afford. When I see my doctor again in June, I will have to get something less costly which I know will not be as effective. I've tried other meds. I'm hoping there is a generic soon or a less costly way to continue taking the drug. It changed my life!!!!"

jcatthelake April 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Brisdelle - SUCKS - Why prescribe a medication to help you with the hot flashes YET make you feel miserable (side effect) HEADACHES, nausea, trembling eye, Ewwwww. Really... I rather go thru the hot flashes. BAD BAD medicine. Also I was puking up."

SARI64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking paroxetine 10 mg a couple weeks for premenopause symptoms of anxieties depression. First week was hard i had bad headaches and feeling foggy side effects ugh.. the Pharmacy told me start with half a pill until my body adjusted. I gave it a week. I went back on the full pill and I am doing good. I notice a difference I feel more my self. I am grateful I don't know what I'd do without it."

Pretty lady2000 March 16, 2016