User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Hot Flashes

"Taking 10 mg* Paroxetine for hot flashes and night sweats. The first day I took it I saw results that night. The only side effect that I've noticed is occassional nausea."

Stephanie G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "A GYN prescribed Brisdelle - it's a low-dose Paxil (7.5 mg) for hot flashes. This Doctor stated that unlike other SSRI's, I would NOT have complications or side effects going on/off them - in the case of running out of supply. This was NOT my experience. After 3-4 days of stopping, I noted an odd sensation connected to my eyes. I told my opthamologist about a "swishing" sound I heard with any movement of my eyes. I finally found others reporting this all over the internet. This also happened in a previous year with Sertraline (Zoloft) - this 'after quitting' side effect lasted a very long time - maybe a year or more! THE DUMBEST, MOST WASTEFUL PACKAGING ON THE PLANET. WHY NOT SIMPLY MAKE 7.5 PAXIL IN A SIMPLE BOTTLE? Pink? Come on!"

CrazyRX's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Ive been on this medication for a year now about a month after having a full hysterectomy. Worked the first night I took it. No hot flashes, no mood swings. I feel great and sleep well. I do experience nausea once in a awhile in the morning but that fades fast with a drink of water or cup of coffee. It's very pricey even with a coupon as I pay out of pocket, but it's worth every dime."

Kim in Texas July 6, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "This drug sort of helps with hot flashes -- diminished them by about 75%. HOWEVER, the person who designed the packaging for this drug needs to be fired. I think that most of the expense for this product comes from the overdone packaging alone. The capsules are difficult to get out of the blister packaging. The cardboard wrapping is excessive and impossible to open without the help of scissors and a box cutter!! Terrible, terrible, terrible...."

Golddustwoman249 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2016

"I have been taking Paroxetine for hot flushes which were debilitating at work, I didn't sleep always throwing the covers off/on. It has also helped with my anxiety and panic attacks at work, and mood swings at home that were affecting my marriage, initially i did feel dizzy and had no appetite, it has been 2 months now and I feel so much better on the medication i have also lost 5 kilos due to loss of appetite, very happy,"

penny900 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I started with horrific hot flashes sweating all night no sleep. Sweating in meetings going out. Couldn't wear any makeup. I started taking Brisdelle about 6 months ago. I did my research . This medication is a life saver. It's expensive as hell, I found a coupon for it and I only pay a 1/4 of what it costs. There was someone saying how terrific the withdrawal Symptoms are you need to be weened off. Not every medicine you can just stop cold turkey. Read all inserts of medicines you are prescribed. Some meds take awhile to get over side effects. This has been a life saver"

South side May 7, 2016

"I've been taking Brisdelle for almost a year and it has saved my life. My hot flashes are very infrequent and I can actually sleep at night. I have not any side effects that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, my insurance company refused to pay for it so I'm using the manufacturers coupon. Even with the discount, I'm paying over $70 a month which I cannot afford. When I see my doctor again in June, I will have to get something less costly which I know will not be as effective. I've tried other meds. I'm hoping there is a generic soon or a less costly way to continue taking the drug. It changed my life!!!!"

jcatthelake April 28, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Brisdelle - SUCKS - Why prescribe a medication to help you with the hot flashes YET make you feel miserable (side effect) HEADACHES, nausea, trembling eye, Ewwwww. Really... I rather go thru the hot flashes. BAD BAD medicine. Also I was puking up."

SARI64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

"I started taking paroxetine 10 mg a couple weeks for premenopause symptoms of anxieties depression. First week was hard i had bad headaches and feeling foggy side effects ugh.. the Pharmacy told me start with half a pill until my body adjusted. I gave it a week. I went back on the full pill and I am doing good. I notice a difference I feel more my self. I am grateful I don't know what I'd do without it."

Pretty lady2000 March 16, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Only took one dose. Achy the next morning. 22 hrs after dose dizziness and weakness. My husband could barely get a BP on me and when my pulse came up enough to register it was only 54. I vomited then sweat profusely. My knees hurt severely for an hour. Hot flashes were diminished for the next 3 days. Fine now but still having hot flashes."

zcha (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"This drug is awful, I have been thinking that I have been depressed for years after being prescribed this for hot flashes and the menopause. Every time I tried to stop I had the most horrific withdrawal symptoms in the world, anger bordering on rage, vertigo and dizziness that make me feel I am going to pass out, sweats, bad dreams, depression and suicidal thoughts of the scale. This drug is making someone a lot of money by underplaying how horrific the withdrawal symptoms are! it is highly addictive because you think you are ill when you try to stop taking it and go back on it! It's disgusting "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2016

"After reading other reviews I'm trying it again. My symptoms are so severe that most nights I don't sleep. Not sure if it didn't work the first time It was prescribed due to its counter action with other meds so I'm trying it again."

Hotheaded February 16, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for 1 year. Hot flashes are mostly gone, I have one occasionally usually in the morning. I ran out and my DR had written prescription for 1 year. I had to call and wait 4 days for the refill. Holy cow was I miserable and within 2 days the flashes were back full force. I am back on it. I do have joint pain in my ankles in the morning, not sure if its the drug or not but interesting others have the joint pain. I also am struggling to lose weight when it used to be so easy, Brisdelle to blame or menopause or both. Its a good drug and does what it says for me. I will continue taking it. By the way I have a coupon from their website and only pay $25 a month for it. It is costly w/no coupon."

Coco68 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

"Have been on Brisdelle for over 9 months for hot flashes, helped considerably. I would be soaking wet, that doesn't happen anymore. Had to get new insurance, they won't cover Brisdelle but will cover paxil so my Dr. has put me on 10 mg. So far so good, hot flashes are 3-5 daily but really very mild, maybe the extra 2.5 mg will help my mood. :)"

Cabogrl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for the past 6 months to help with hot flashes. However, I have had these chronic problems since taking this medication. I have tremors, eyes are sensitive to light, seizures, biting my tongue during the night while sleeping so severe that I have to get up because the blood is so profuse. I also am dizzy all the time, and feel like I am whirling around and unstable while sitting, lying down, or walking about. It has taken me almost 2 months and thousands of dollars to figure this out on my own. I have been to the endocrinologist to see if I have a tumor, neurologist due to the seizures, dentist, ENTSpecialist, Chiropractor, a Neuro-Opthamologist, and my primary care physician and no one has been able to help me"

Scottishlass718 January 30, 2016

"I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder and heart disease. Insomnia from hot flashes will make lower my seizure threshold. Once I had the heart attack hormone therapy became out of the question. My doctor prescribed 20 mg of Paroxetine. Within days the frequency and intensity of my hot flashes diminished. In addition, I am more relaxed than I have ever been in my life. The downside is if you miss a dose the hot flashes come back with force!"

Luna Moody (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2016

"I had been taking Sertraline for anxiety. Started on paroxetine for the hot flashes as the recommendation of my doctor. Hot flashes reduced significantly, but an occasional hot flash wasn't as bad. BUT, then I started having what I would call side effects: itching on my scalp, my underarms, eye brows and other warmer, damper areas. I went from fanning myself to scratching. Not attractive. I tried weaning myself from paroxetine and the itching subsided, but now the hot flashes are returning.My libido went from poor to nothing on this medication. I didn't think much about the brain fog and zaps until I read this blog. Since being off of it completely, my emotions are out of control (crying, anxiety..) Don't think this is for me."

Improved menopause symptoms (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "3 weeks into taking Brisdelle I stopped. After a week I was experiencing horrific muscle pain in my legs which kept me awake for three nights until I was prescribed a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The anti-inflammatory calmed the muscle pain down but then I started experiencing horrific head pain and headaches; I've never had a headache in my life! I am off this drug for two days now and can't wait to feel like myself again. I'm still experiencing insomnia, headache, head pain, vertigo."

LoriSt November 20, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Been on Brisdelle for ten days. I was having eight to ten hot flashes a day and I was up all night long with them as well. Over the last ten days they have tapered off, with yesterday and today being completely hot flash free! My anxiety is also almost completely gone. I had bouts of nausea in the beginning that came in waves and even woke me up at night, but that seems to have disappeared completely. I hope this continues! I'm very happy with this medication."

Kelly64 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "It definitely works. Hot flashes stopped within days & it calmed me so much. I slept so good at night but then headaches, sinus congestion, chest congestion, almost feeling like having the flu made me stop & it took me weeks to get over the brain fog feeling."

LMWCAWCNW November 13, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for 7 months. I wanted to give it a fair chance. I had fairly severe hot flashes but no other problems relating to menopause. I went from having about 15 hot flashes a day to about 10. The severity was a bit better but I still had a lot of sweat with each flash especially at night. It was very expensive and my health plan didn't cover it so I came off. Weaned myself off very slowly over a six week period. The withdrawal is pretty severe. Feelings of vertigo and dizziness. Nausea and zaps."

Kassie63 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 6, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I love brisdelle! Hot flash and sweating relief, no side effects, no personality changes. Very happy this is available. Lifesaver!"

Tigra October 15, 2015

"I've been experiencing Hot Flashes for sometime now. My Dr. put me on Brisdell. This medicine did absolutely nothing for me!!"

To Hot Mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

"My Dr recently increased my dose of Paxil adding 10 mg. it has made a significant difference in the amount and severity of my hot flashes. Every day I could easily have 15 and at night sometime 10. It has been a week so far and the daily have reduced to somewhere between 5 and 8. And at night approximately 5. I am grateful for the slight relief."

Hot Star (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I've been on Brisdelle about 5 weeks and I absolutely LOVE it!! I noticed the difference after about 4 days. I was a complete mess before starting Brisdelle (moody, depression, major hot flashes, crying, etc) I now feel like a brand new woman. I am so appreciative that my doctor prescribed this for me."

Anonymous September 5, 2015