User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Hot Flashes

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "My doctor prescribed this to help me with hot flashes and night sweats. After taking this for just three days, I was in bed with one of the worst headaches I've ever had. Seven hours, six ibuprofen, three aspirin, and three icepacks later, I still had it. On day four, I woke-up feeling somewhat human, only to have it return with a vengeance within a few hours. By the end of the day, at a friend's home, I was on her bathroom floor and convinced I was dying. Not only was the headache almost unbearable, but I also had a stabbing pain in my left eye. My husband managed to get me home, but not before I threw-up in the car. I had chills and pain all night long. After investigating the side effects, we've decided this is not the medication for me. The hot flashes and night sweats are bad, but they're not nearly as horrible as the pain I've been in."

LLO (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

"I was prescribed this medicine yesterday (so it’s new to me) but so far I love it. I have been having hot flashes almost all day long. I live in fl & this makes life hell as it is already extremely hot here. Night sweats were insane. Fatigue, bloating etc etc. Almost instantly after taking this med I noticed a huge difference. I was able to turn my air conditioner from 63 up to 70 last night, and didn’t need my floor fan or ceiling fans. It kept me awake most of last night. I do feel like I’m extremely alert.... a ringing in my ears and a swooshing sound in my head. I can’t wait until the 4-5 weeks when these side effects will go away. I am happier dealing with the minor effects than the all day long hot flashes. I was always so embarrassed to go anywhere, see people etc because I was constantly sweating and then my under garments would be drenched and when I would go into the grocery store or anywhere with air conditioning I’d then freeze. There was no balance whatsoever and now there is!!!!!!"

Mistee37 June 27, 2018

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Brisdelle definitely helped and calmed down the night sweats therefore, I gave a five rating. If I had to rate the side effects it would be a zero due to the severity. I experienced all the symptoms mentioned in other comments which includes vertigo symptoms with the room spinning a couple of nights, fatigue, swooshing sound in head, sensitivity to light, headaches, etc. I have been off this medicine three weeks and still feeling fatigue, nauseous, light headedness, head tremors/zaps and most of all feeling weird. I believe I rather deal with the hot flashes instead of going through all this drama. I gave it a try and it's not for me."

Ree April 25, 2018

"It started improving my symptoms within 10 days!"

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"Condition: Severe Hot Flashes Rx: Paroxetine 10mg (aka Paxil) by Mylan Two weeks (14 days) into first time taking paroxetine 10mg (aka Paxil), and working great for me! No more hot flashes. Started gradual use at one tablet every other day while weaning off Rx Estradiol 2mg. After two weeks, dosage is daily. Taken at bedtime. The only negative side effect experienced with the first pill was waking up drowsy and lethargic lasting throughout the day. This was quickly remedied this by cutting pill in half; taking half at bedtime, and half next day at noon with food. The 7.5mg Brisdelle brand is very costly and out of my budget. The Paroxetine 10mg is covered by insurance. Practical to cut in half, then other half in-half = @7.5mg."

DGonz November 11, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Was given RX for hot flashes, had shock at price (90 day over $200. asked Dr. to write RX for Paxil 10 mg, use pill cutter to cut 1/2 then 1/2 of a half = 7.5 ,90 day $4.ish.) Works for me. Hot flashes not as harsh or as often. Worried tho when I do try to wean myself, I have experienced weird sensations when have forgotten to take for a few days."

Caligirl 63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "My hot flashes were terrible. A lot during the day and at least 6 - 8 at night. Waking me up, so can't get enough sleep. I took the brisdelle and at first I didn't think it was working. About 4 weeks in, I noticed a big change and now I'm 7 weeks in and have not had one hot flash in the last three weeks. I'm sleeping again and not sweating all day long. The only drawback was the first 3 weeks. I was exhausted, had some muscle twitching and a backache. All gone now, but getting used to it was not easy but worth it."

Lulu 1 October 4, 2017

"I was having horrific power surges (hot flashes). I would have at least 3 or more per hour and they were major. I hated stopping to talk to people at work or because I'd break out in dripping sweat, it was humiliating. I was waking up 5+ times a night with extreme sweating. I couldn't go into meetings or church or anywhere without a hand fan. I am two weeks into taking Paxil, and I might have 4 very minor power surges per day and last night was the first night in 3 years I slept through without having one single episode. I highly recommend Paxil."

Edizzle (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

"This drug has been a lifesaver for me., I has a hysterectomy and 2 years later full blown menopause .... hot flashes - night sweats. I really hated going anywhere when I would run into someone I knew at the grocery store I would get a hot flash and my face turns really red and they would say omg did I say something to make u mad lol and I would say no I'm just boiling from the inside out ugggg , but this med saved me down to maybe 2 a day "

Tradermexico (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2017

"I am using paroxetine for hot flashes. It definitely has helped. It also has helped with anxiety/panic attacks due to perimenopause. After taking this medicine for a year I can say it has really helped. I am very sensitive to medicine so I started at the lowest dose. It has been good for me."

Kel50 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017

"I started it a week ago and it seems to have alleviated my hot flashes. Not totally gone but much less and much less severe. I am so happy to have it."

Dancing lady (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

"I had wonderful results with hormone therapy but after 5 years my Doc told me to wean off. Did so in 3 weeks. Then 2 years of sleep loss due to constant hot flashes all night long. My new Doc suggested Brisdelle. My insurance covers beautifully so I only pay $3 monthly. But it didn't work. I was woozy during the day and slept heavily but with terrible dreams that woke me and then I had great difficulty going back to sleep. And still had hot flashes. After 2 1/2 months I said thanks but no thanks. No need for extra medication if it's not working. The dreams and their after effects are debilitating- re-living them through the day. So I'm weaning off and feeling extra woozy. First week every other day then every third day for another week."

GrownUpMom August 12, 2017

"I have to review this medication in hopes women that are suffering with menopausal symptoms may be helped. I read some pretty bad reviews on this drug so I was reluctant to try it. But in the the two weeks that I have taken Brisale my mood has improved and my hot flashes have been reduced to about 1 to 2 a day. Also they are less severe. The night sweats have been reduced to maybe 1 episode per night when before I had 4 to 5. Also my mood is so much better and I feel like my energy has increased. The only drawback is the $200.00 a month cost but I'm increasing my HSA to pay for this drug because I feel so much better."

Joe'smommy June 26, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I was suffering from severe hot flashes ever 35-40min all day, severe day AND night sweats, chills, feeling hot & cold at the same time, I was extremely miserable. I could not go to work, my social and love-life came to an abrupt end. I would get soaking wet and had to remove all clothing every 35-40mins. IT WAS HORRIBLE! This went on for 3 months. Everyone kept telling me it was not going to last long, maybe just a few YEARS. In no way was I going to go for years feeling that way. My doctor prescribe Brisdelle 7.5mg 7 weeks ago and my life is 90% back to normal. Once I started taking this medication, the sweats, chills, and severity of the flashes stopped. I only have mild flashes and hopefully they will end. too."

HP66 June 22, 2017

"Just started taking today, Fingers crossed for hep with hot flashes"

coquinabeach June 12, 2017

"I'm amazed that within 2 weeks of taking this medication, and I only took 5mg, my hot flashes symptoms completely subsided. Then I was inconsistent with taking it because I kept forgetting due to caring for my mother. I noticed the darn hot flashes returned, but not as bad. I started taking it consistently again every night, and the hot flashes are completely gone. I feel normal now! Thank God!!"

SheCa April 2, 2017

"this hasn't help me at all"

ladyluck89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Stopped periods 10 years ago. Then suffered hot flashes, severe, in first five years after. In last five years hot flashes really diminished but triggered by anxiety, certain foods, and occasional night sweats. But could be counted on to have at least one episode of night sweats per evening (down from as many as 7 to 10 a day - and leaving me drenched, my clothes soaked!). My GYN recommended Brisdelle two months ago. Am hypersensitive to all meds so was skeptical, in addition to being an RN. Don't like to take drugs of any kind. However, I was desperate. The Brisdelle worked immediately and I haven't had one episode of hot flashes since. Just dry mouth now. Very bad dry mouth!"

Mary Matilda March 12, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Holy Hell is exactly how I feel. I had been taking Brisdelle for 1.5 years. The hot flashes did indeed subside - however, the side affects of this medicine coupled with the fact Noven was acquired by YET another pharmaceutical company - YOU CAN'T PLACE A REP IN THE AREA, DISTRIBUTE YOUR DRUGS, AND THEN FIRE HER-AND NOT REPLACE THEREFORE there is NO medicine or support here. You dumped this drug in the Dr's hands and walked away. After calling Sebula - you act like you don't even care. You have made it impossible to obtain this. I happen to think this is illegal. I just decided to wean myself off this and Premarin. It has been nothing short of a nightmare. If you don't need this drug- DON'T START. Seriously."

HOLY HELL (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2017

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking it for 2 weeks now. I do believe it's helping me. I will post again in about 6 weeks. Typically, I get a rush of heat over me a few times a day leaving me with a drenched help and droplets of sweat on face head, neck. Now, so far so good."

CoolerMama February 21, 2017

"Saw relief within 24 hours after starting Paroxetine 12.5 mg. No more hot flashes! I didn't realize how much sleep I was missing. Now I wake up rested. Take them in the am so any energy surge happens in the morning. Only having a teeny bit of nausea and loss of appetite in the evening. Drinking water helps. I'll trade that for no more hot flashes."

Flashless (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

"I have taken the Brisdelle for a year and a half. I LOVE IT! No side effects but it is pricey. I went to the Dr and she suggested I change to the 10mg of Paxil as it is a lot ALOT less expensive. I am going to try it but somewhat nervous about it. Is there anything I should be aware of or leery of?"

jeana berry (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

"I've been on paroxetine for a little over 3 months. My Dr told me I wouldn't see a difference in my hot flashes from this medicine until at least 2 months. My hot flashes are fierce. I get drenched at least 10 Times at night. And all through the day. I told my Dr I wanted something to work right away, so he gave me clonidine along with it, which I wasn't able to take, cause it made me to sleepy. Anyway, the praxetine did work after 2 months, as long as I don't drink alcohol."

Yny January 26, 2017

"I went through menopause from 50-55 and Paxil was a lifesaver. My gynecologist prescribed it when all of the supplements for menopause symptoms were of no help. Hot flashes have returned at the age of 60 for some reason, and I'm taking Paxil again. Working like a charm with no side effects."

Lilac13 January 16, 2017

"I was excited to try this medicine. Having 5 hot flashes a night that wake me up. Haven't had any R.E.M. Sleep for a while. Not sleeping is affecting my exercise and work routine. The only time I don't get hot flashes is when I'm riding my mountain bike. Biking doesn't pay the bills. Took my dose before bed, in about 15 min my head felt different like a rush of something then clarity I guess that was the serotonin release. I thought oh boy I'm gonna sleep. But not the case. Unfortunately I must have opposite effects. I didn't sleep more than 2 hours all night. Had a clear head full of thoughts about stuff I need to do. Still had hot flashes 4 during the night and more in the morning. And then the nausea in the morning also."

Constancekkkkkk November 25, 2016