User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings for the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. 86% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2021

“I took one pill and it caused awful side effects caused tinnitus, depression, insomnia would NOT recommend. Till this day I still have tinnitus.”

KB · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 9, 2021

“I dealt with PMDD for as long as I could remember. I was miserable. Felt bipolar, suicidal thoughts, hated myself, horrible moodiness and anger etc. Finally went on this medication and night and day! I took the 10mg at first and it definitely helped but felt like I needed just a lil more. On 25 mg CR and I feel like a normal person again! I did gain weight on it which stunk but honestly, life didn't feel like it was worth living without the med. I'll take weight gain over PMDD symptoms any day! Literal life saver.”

Miss · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2020

Paxil CR (paroxetine): “Paxil CR is very effective for PMDD anxiety, mood swings, suicidal thoughts. Very effective for my social anxiety. I had mild to moderate bothersome side effects that lasted 2 to 4 weeks when I first started. I was worried about side effects but they weren't that bad. I am very glad I started this medication”

LilyMiami June 18, 2013

Paxil CR (paroxetine): “I was prescribed Paxil 10mg for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I've been taking it for two weeks and I feel so much better! It also helps with my social anxiety as well. I feel calmer, centered and more assertive. It makes me less emotional and somewhat experience "flat effect" which could be bad in certain situations. In first two days I felt very nauseated and couldn't eat and lost 5 pounds however I noticed my appetite has increased and I'm watching my weight! So far so good. (Note: SSRI's works differently on pre-menstrual women and improvements is seems in the very first cycle at least in my case).”

Rustybite January 10, 2010

“I have been taking Paxil for approximately 5 years. I have had severe mood swings prior to my monthly menses since I was approximately 14. I am 53 and I am grateful that Paxil is available. During my pre-menopause I was having months with 2 periods and the mood swings were incredibly difficult to deal with. My husband was considering leaving me as he could not handle it. Since taking the Paxil, I rarely have mood swings, and I only wish this drug had been available years ago as I would have not only taken it faithfully but been a huge advocate. I am not a drug taker as a rule, but even with side effects, the quality of my life has improved 100%.”

NervouswreckMe January 23, 2015

“I have had anxiety all my life but refused medications. I had my second child in 2013 and had post partum depression & anxiety attacks really bad November of the same year. I tried Lexapro but I had a bad reaction to it. My depression, panic attacks got so bad that I quit cold turkey. I went on a few more months without meds, just cried a lot, prayed and one day while in church I had the worst panic attack ever. I thought I was going to die and the thought of leaving behind children made me scared. I decided I have suffered TOO long and I was going to get on medication. My doctor started me on 10 mg of Paroxetine, I had dizziness, increased panic attacks but a low dose Valium helped. I upped dose to 20mg& what a difference! I feel joy again.”

rlcourtney · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2018

“This was prescribed to me to be taken 10 days before my period and until it ended. Not a good fit because of the jaw clenching/yawning side effect. Jaw clenching caused me to wake up with some pretty bad head and neck aches when I was taking it. For me it was not worth the side effects.”