User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Panic Disorder

Paxil (paroxetine): "I starting having panic attacks around age 19 and I was & constantly heading to ER thinking I was gonna die. First I was put on a low dose of Xanax with only being told by doc that I was just a little anxious. It wasn't til I got pregnant with my 3rd son at age 28, that my OB/GYN knew exactly what I needed and put me on paxil. I remember after a couple of weeks of being on it, I woke up feeling like a normal person again. I actually noticed the sound of birds chirping outside instead of waking up in fear! I have been on Paxil now for about 15 years ( I got off of it for about 4 years and stayed anxiety free til I was robbed at gunpoint and anxiety came back) and it has truly saved my life!"

Pamela1970 (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have buzzing in ears, very annoying also find it hard to sleep. Yet when I do sleep I can sleep for 10 or 11 hour"

Kalgje (taken for 10 years or more) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"During my second year at college I started panicking. I had moved to another city and I was living alone and I was working and studying chemical engineering. So much thing to do, one day I thought I was gonna die, I breathed but no amount of air gave me the sensation of relief. From this day on I couldn’t do anything else but to stay at home. Then a doctor prescribed paroxotine. The first three weeks it got worse, I though I was gonna freak out. But eventually the symptoms diminished and I started to feel better. I used this drug for one year and a half, meanwhile I started to feel good small things in life. Then I felt safe to drop the drug slowly. Now I don’t use it anymore, and I learnt to control anxiety. It was really tough."

AugustoMarcos (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "There was a history in my family or anxiety and panic attacks, but I had never experienced it until I was 55 (3 years ago). When it hit me, it hit me hard. It truly was the worst experience in my life. I went from being Mr. Optimistic to worrying about every ache and pain in my body. It was a living hell. When my doctor realized what was going on with me, he put me on 20mg of Paxil. I must say the first week on it was very difficult, but I believe it's because I wasn't told or didn't hear him tell me to take half a pill for the first week. After about 2 weeks or so, I woke up one morning and absolutely felt like I was on cloud 9. Not because it made me high, but because I felt normal again! I am now on 40mg and still feeling great!"

Tony in Florida October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is for everyone out there who was me almost 7 weeks ago, reading through all the terrifying experiences, going through something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I started having panic attacks over a year ago, and thought it was just a phase, not realizing that I was heading towards a deep dark hole. 7 weeks ago I sinked into 24/7 panic mode, with all the terrible symptoms, stopped eating and sleeping, cried all the time, and was desperate. Paroxetine put me on the right track, and 7 weeks later, I am exercising daily, have loads of energy, am seeing a psychologist and have my life in order. Know this- the meds help, but it's all up to you. You have to add the rest. Don't stop after the first week. It does get better."

Panicked No More August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Lifesaver drug!!!"

Anonymous July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking Paxil 10mg (I'm on day 11) and I feel amazing and no side effects. Before Paxil, I wouldn't leave my house and if I had to I would stay within a 15 minute radius from my house. I had crippling panic attacks and nervousness all day long. I lost my job, my 10 yr relationship suffered, I gained weight and lost contact with myself and everything I used to enjoy. Today I decided to up my dose to 20mg. It made me tired but extremely calm. I'm able to drive, run errands, keep up with housework and I am in control of my anxiety with some help of Ativan 1mg if needed. Paxil saved my life and I suggest anyone with GAD,OCD,PTSD and DEPRESSION to seriously consider this drug. God is good and I feel blessed."

SpenceMJ1985 June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil CR (37.5 mg/day) for 6 years now. I wouldn't even consider going off at the moment. It means I can live a normal life now. This is a wonderful medication."

DRuthH (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works wonderful for me . Make me feel so happy and relaxed. Took a few weeks to get to this stage though ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for about 6 months now. It helps a lot with anxiety, although it isn't gone completely. I honestly feel like the longer I take it, the more it helps. Even after 6 months I still think my anxiety is improving. I tried Buspirone before Paxil and it made me feel too uncomfortable to continue taking. Pros: Haven't had a Panic Attack in a long time, anxiety is about 90% better Cons: Constipation, harder to orgasm, (These started out bad and slowly seem to be getting better). I've gained about 5 lbs so far but my appetite has really picked up. I will probably end up gaining more. Lots of reviews say it is very hard to quit. I have not tried to quit yet."

Alex N. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Saved my life, miracle drug"

EmuSteel090126 March 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I thought nothing could stop my panic attacks I had several a day for no apparent reason. This medicine has literally saved my life I'm on day 8 and although days 1 to 5 were difficult I now feel 'normal'. I feel nothing could set me off panicking - I'm happy. It's hard at first but please stick with it"

Sjevzuk (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been on Paxil for about a month and I feel great...I'm on 20 MG but may need to go higher I'm not at 100%"

Jules3779 January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "20 years I've been on Paxil from age 31 til now, at 51 (with one year off with Effexor). I had ever panic attacks combined with depression. Its been a great it saved me. About 5 years ago I was tapering off very nicely without side effects. Then six months later I spiralled with another very, very dark depression, with intense anxiety. Wanted to die, but would never intentionally do it. Had to seek a psychiatrist who put me on non-SSRI's. I continued to spiral down. Finally went to another Dr who put me back on Paxil. I was extremely grateful as it got me better very quickly. I don't think I will ever try going off again."

CQ (taken for 10 years or more) December 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Works awesome!"

Juot October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm an on day 16 of Paxil 10mg. For the past few months I have suffered from increasingly more frequent panic attacks and got to the point where I was afraid to go more than 20 minutes away from my "safe zone," aka my house. After about 4 days of the medication, I felt my anxiety had worsened and almost quit Paxil about a week in. I'm writing this today feeling almost back to my normal self and that's a great feeling! Hopefully the medication keeps working better til I'm at 100%."

AJ of PA October 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm super medication sensitive so I started out at 5mg for panic disorder. My doctor said there's no way 5mg is going to help, but after 4 weeks it was like a switch was flicked. I went back to my old self for 3 whole days. I had to come off of it due to uncontrollable neck jerking and head twitching. It's the strangest thing I've ever experienced. It's been over a month since I quit and I'm still doing it alot. Not as much, but seriously way too much. I hope this isn't permanent. Now I have panic disorder and neck jerking. Lovely."

Daedryth (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Paxil 20 mg since 2003, I've tried to wean off of it, but why? I noticed on Paxil, I am happier, I don't worry as much, I don't get anxiety, no panic attacks. Yes you will have terrible side effects weaning off and even after the fact, like I did. But we must keep in mind why we started taking it in the first place. So take it from me, stay on them if you need them, just because you are feeling great and back to your happy self doesn't mean you need to get off of this wonderful medication. Good Luck...."

maryl3 June 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I started taking this medication for anxiety and panic disorder. I felt like I was taking a placebo. It did nothing for me. I have since switched to Wellbutrin xl 150 mg and have never felt better!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started taking Paxil about 2 months ago and it have saved my life. However the first two weeks of taking it was hell. When you first start taking it, your serotonin dips slightly because the drug is trying to adjust to your system. I suffer from a panic disorder and my anxiety was so bad that i had several extreme panic attacks where I have had to call up an ambulance. This happened 3 or 4 times during these weeks and one happened whilst I was driving on the dual carriageway. However these weeks are worth it, i can't even remember how to have a panic attack and my self confidence is as high as it's ever been."

Lois27072707 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was diagnosed with panic/anxiety/depression in 1999 by a psychiatrist, and prescribed Aropax (paroxetine), at the tender age of 19. It got rid of the anxiety, and the depression, by effectively getting rid of my emotions. Even when i started taking it i felt that it was changing my personality, from shy to someone who would answer back and didn't care about anything deeply, but being young and naive, assumed that this was what 'normal' felt like. Almost eradicated sex drive. Also made me crave alcohol. Tried to come off several times with absolutely awful withdrawal symptoms. Only managed to get off by switching to fluoxetine(prozac) and coming off that, ten years later. Try therapy first, drugs as last resort. You have been warned."

Matto1979 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil DOES work to stop panic attacks and general anxiety symptoms. I've had no panic attacks while on it. But my problem with Paxil are its' side effects. I was on Paxil for a few years and had gained weight steadily at the same time. I was trying to lose weight while on Paxil and was unsuccessful, but I didn't blame the Paxil. I went off of Paxil and changed nothing else in my routine & lost 25 pounds in 3 months! I ended up having to go back on it and gained ALL of it back within 1 MONTH. I tried to up my exercise and diet routine to make up for the Paxil, but I can't get the scale to budge more than 5 pounds down. Also, when trying to get off Paxil, the side effects are AWFUL. Wean off VERY SLOWLY! Worst, most addictive SSRI out there."

purplecandle17 April 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I suffered with OCD and anxiety since I was a teen but as I got older I started to develop fears that were never there before and panic attacks started to get more frequent.My doctor put me on paxil and within two months I feel great,the anxiety is under control and my OCD is gone with the fears it created. My side affects are about a 10 lb weight gain and it takes me longer to reach a orgasm which I consider a good thing haha. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from anxiety and OCD."

The Newf (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2016