User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took paxil for years for anxiety. The side effects got to the point I discussed with my doctor about getting off of it. He recommended tapering and starting welbutrin. I can say this. The paxil withdrawal symptoms are purely awful. I would lie in bed for weeks. Couldn't stop vomiting. Dizziness still persists. While it did alleviate anxiety. I'd rather have anxiety than the awfulness it put me through. I would never recommend this to anybody"

Joesep (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2018

"Been on 20 mg paroxetine 2 and a half years. Pros-- Fewer to non-existent panic attacks; better able to cope with anxiety producing circumstances; able to drive on the expressway without panicking Cons--Huge weight gain (continually have to buy new clothes!); can't come off without terrible withdrawal symptoms Verdict--Wish I had researched side effects better before filling prescription!! Currently attempting to slowly taper off...cut back to 10 mg. a month ago without terrible symptoms."

MemTN (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2018

"What I can say, WOW. I became relaxed and calm in FEW DAYS. First few months on paroxetine is like a best dream that you can have. Also, first few months I had some side effects - erectile dysfunction, anorgasmia, sleepiness. Day by day I was feeling more tired, sleepy, numb, cold hearted, angry and aggressive, had trouble with memory. This drug made me so depressed and numb. After one year of treatment I've decided to stop taking it. Am I bad? I did "Cold Turkey". But after 3 weeks of this I took dose again. After some research I started tapering by 25%. It took me 2 months to get off of paroxetine. This time it wasn't that horrible. TO SUM UP: In my experience, if anxiety and panic attacks take over you, paroxetine is the way out. But you gotta keep in mind that it gives you EXTREMELY STRONG withdrawal. Amazing drug for anxiety, but in long term can make you depressed, even suicidal."

Lithuania June 11, 2018

"I was scared to try it because of all the reviews. Here’s an opinion for people who are considering it. The first few days (about 3-4) you might feel lightheaded, dizzy, and nauseous. If you do take it before bed so you can sleep though it. After the first few days those symptoms go away when your body gets use to the drug. It does take about 2 weeks for you to notice any difference. So give it time and in the meantime ask your doctor for some Xanax to calm you down for the two weeks. It helped me! After 10 days I saw a difference in my anxiety. I’m on 20 mg and my doctor thinks I’ll need to up my dosage because I still have anxiety. Also, remember that not every drug works the same on everyone. Just give it a chance if it does not help move on."

Rayray (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have to agree with what Monasusie wrote on this subject (1st of September, 2017). I think this is a helpful drug - it helped me reduce my anxiety in different social situations at work, and prevented me of finding other not so constructive and not so healthy solutions to reduce my fear. It gives me energy and courage. So Paroxetine (or Paxil like you call it in the Anglo-Saxon world) may have a bad name in the press, but it treated me good. Friendly greetings from Western Europe, Alphons"

Fons1971 January 22, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "During college years received Paxil to deal with exam stress. It calmed me and initially helped . No weight (sporty) but if I missed a dose after 1 year I started crying for no reason, my doc kept prescribing it and I thought I was OK. Yet it totally "numbed" my true emotions and stole my conscisouness and nature. I was mostly in my "head", seeking "pleasures" and not feeling the necessary "fears" (dangers) in life. After 18 years it "pooped-out" and did not work at all. I was just tired and depressed. I had to "wean off" which was a nighmare (panic, brain zaps, pains, suicidal urges, pure hell). Long term Paxil use simply destroyed my "emotional brain" and my inner and outer life!"

Paxil = Devious + Spelbounding January 7, 2018

"I originally took Paroxetine for anxiety, I was stressing out terribly. Couldn't go to school, church, etc. My doctor gave me Paroxetine for it. This made it worst my first day taking it. It was a pretty good day. The second day, better, I was enjoying stuff and things were "normal". Eventually, on the third day, It was like everything overflowed. Worst anxiety, depression, everything. I know some might say it takes a week or two, but no, things got worse."

Dan2269 December 21, 2017

"I was on Paroxetine for 7 years. I have generalised anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia. This drug did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Side effects: no sex drive, vertigo, dizziness, brain zaps, general feeling of being out of touch with emotions (unable to feel sad when watching sad movies/tv, unable to cry when feeling sadness or joy), night sweats and nightmares nearly every night, depression, suicidal thoughts. My anxiety did not change, my panic attacks did not lesson, actually anxiety and panic got worse, ended up in hospital from a panic attack while on it. Only stayed on it for so long because doctor said it was helping (where?!?). Off it I’m the same just without side effects yey!"

Ri91ri November 29, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started taking Paxil for anxiety and depression and started feeling sick on first pill. Nauseous, headaches, trembling, body shocks etc. After the second pill I found it was starting to get hard to orgasm. By the forth pill I couldn't orgasm and quit taking it at that point. Not ready to give up sex to possibly get over some anxiety and depression, but seriously if the side effects are this bad after 4 pills what would a month be like. Then after stopping after 4 days it was like the whole process in reverse as I has gotten over the headaches and sickness after 2 days, it took another 2 days to get over it once stopping. I am going to try something else or just go back to self medication, at least the side effects are more manageable"

Disso1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"This drug near killed me .. Why ? couldn't sleep even an hour, had panic attack .. Paroxetine it's worst nightmare ,.,. Dire Side effects"

strikers (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I started this medicine 09 DAYS ago. I had my first panic attack ever like a month ago. My anxiety started about 2 months ago after receiving a phone call with a bad news. I was so anxious that I stopped eating and sleeping. During those past two months I was feeling very anxious in the mornings and afternoons and some times back to my normal self at night. I developed a social phobia as well. Paxil has terrible side effects, nausea, insomnia, total loss of appetite ( didn't have much to start with) drowsiness, involuntary muscle movements...... etc. I thought about stopping it the third day because of insomnia. I made it to day 9 and my anxiety isn't realty better.doc said give it more time."

anxious2017 September 9, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

"Hi I really wanted to share my experience as I read so many reviews that made me scared to take this drug. I switched after citalopram stopped working for me. I am now 4 months in and on 50mg (started on 20 and increased slowly) I have had no side effects with this drug apart from a dry mouth for about 2 days. My anxiety improved within days, not an instant cure but I was coping better. I feel that I am nearly back to normal now after what a period of crippling anxiety. I still feel worried sometimes but can now rationalise thing and the intrusive thoughts are about gone (fingers crossed!) I wanted to leave a positive review the reviews I read terrified me."

Otis79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

"I was put on this about a year ago (20mg) and I thought it was helping pretty good for my anxiety but like 3 months into it I was noticing some weight gain. Then about 6 months the weight gain has gotten worse and I gained about a good 40 pounds and I felt as if I was never full anymore and I was constantly hungry even a few minutes after I would eat a full meal. I am weening off of it now and in the process of trying Lorazapam (ativan) so we'll see how that works. Other than that I would recommend at least try this since everyone might not experience weigh gain and excessive hunger like I did."

ItsAng August 1, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was suffering from awful situational anxiety and depression, hard time fully functioning, couldn't eat, sleep, focus, cried every day, was an emotional mess. Dr put me on 20mg Paxil and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take effect. Within a week I felt so much better. I could eat, sleep, stopped crying altogether, and stopped being constantly overly emotional. I did sometimes have a difficult time fully accessing emotions, gained too much weight, and am having trouble with motivation so I'm currently on day 4 of weaning myself off, nothing but mild side effects so far. For me Paxil was extremely helpful to get me through a very difficult time and get me back to functioning so I could keep my job and parent my children."

KLCin July 24, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "WORST DRUG EVER! Side effects were body shocks, headaches, worse anxiety, etc. I only took it for three weeks and it caused me to feel numb mentally and emotionally. Drove me nuts! So I went off it and let me tell you... WORST withdrawals ever! Lethargy, bad thoughts, apathy, brain zaps, mood swings, depression, etc. Before you take it, which I DON'T recommend as there are other options, read stories about the withdrawals. Theres so many lawsuits against it. Oh and it induced a mania in me and now I'm stuck on antipsychotics..."

Lela3338 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

"Back in October 4 , 2015 I had my first severe panic attack I thought I was going to die. I couldn't go to the store and be in line at the cash register and couldn't even drive. My quality of life was really bad at that point. I remember thinking I can't take care of my kids can't even do the things I used to do like go to the park go buy groceries even go to my kids school events I felt horrible. I told my Doctor what has happening I got prescribed paroxetine 20 mg. It saved my life. I know it takes time be patient it's worth it."

Mar12241982 July 9, 2017

"I hate this drug so much!! At first is was helping me sleep, and now it's causing so much anxiety, insomnia, Vertigo, panic attacks to the point of feeling paralyzed. My chest feels weird constantly and my vitals are normal. I did end up having a seizure with this medicine!!! I am on 40mg get me off this damn drug! Such bad anxiety and racing thoughts. My brain isn't calm! I can't hardly eat because of the insomnia and anxiety!!!! This is the WORST drug ever. Do not stay on this drug. I'm always sweating with this stupid drug and having anxiety and unable to fully stay asleep. I have so many side effects now. I hate it!!!!"

Herstruly0 July 4, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started Paxil approx 3 weeks ago and my life started changing for the better about 2 weeks into it. I feel my social anxiety dissolving, I didn't realize how depressed I was, but life is starting to look so much brighter. I suffered with bad pe which made sexual intimacy impossible, and this has pretty much gone away. I am becoming more outgoing and able to express myself to others and working hard to remove everything in my head which caused my anxiety by talking with my spouse and others in my family. I am also becoming much more comfortable in social situations. I sure hope in continues, because I can't imagine going back to my old self. I had bad nausea and was so tired the first week, but so worth it."

Kt5132 June 25, 2017

"This medication caused sudden, severe weight gain 43lbs. (19.5 kg) over four months weight gain and did little for my anxiety. I wouldn't recommend it!!!! It should be taken off the market for its adverse side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

"I took Paxil in highschool in 2000 for severe social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder. I stopped going to school...Stopped eating..Stopped socializing with family and friends. Paxil changed my life back then. I started going to school, I made high honors, I started eating and having a life again. After that time my anxiety was manageable. I went off the Paxil and just used Valium for panic attacks. For years I was able to keep my anxiety under control with the least amount of medication as possible. Now (June 2017) I am experiencing the same bad anxiety I dealt with years ago. I'm back on Paxil (day 2) and I feel good. I hope it changes me so I can enjoy life again, make my partner happy and start working again. Give Paxil a try!!"

SpenceMJ1985 June 16, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "Here is my experience with 10+ years of taking Paxil. It did a good job controlling anxiety in combination with Lorazepam 4x daily. But there was a huge cost to taking Paxil. I gained 10lbs for every 10mg of Paxil I took for a total of 40lbs gained slowly over years. Also, erectile disfunction became a problem. Finally, about 2 years ago, because of insurance change, I had to change psychiatrists. My new psychiatrist asked me if I had noticed side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction while on Paxil. I had no idea my weight gain was related to Paxil. He weaned me off Paxil an on to Prozac. I lost 40 lbs in 6 mos without trying. Prozac works just as well with my anxiety. Perhaps Paxil isn't the right choice for some people."

SlimmerWNoPaxil May 27, 2017