User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Cg2020 · Taken for 10 years or more June 1, 2020

“From the age of 12, I've experienced intense anxiety and depression. When I was 20, I was at my lowest point. The doctor prescribed seroxat. After I week of taking it, I felt more enabled and self-confident than I'd ever felt. I felt what it was like to not have this incapacitating anxiety and fear every day. 15 years later, I decided to try coming off seroxat. I had a hard 9 months, where the symptoms became worse, they didn't ease over time. After trying other drug-free methods, nothing worked long term. I didn't know if this was a long withdrawal, or me returning to how I was before taking it. I feel it is the latter as I constantly felt how I did when I was 12. I realised that I needed to go back on seroxat, and the symptoms eased again. I have been on it for 20 years. After reading some of the horror stories, I sometimes wish I never started taking it. But then I don't know what my life would've been like if I didn't, as a lot of my anxiety/depression is firmly embedded.”

Mrose0829 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2020

“I started taking 20mg of Paxil at the end of January and by mid February I started to have these surreal feelings and started having to ask myself if I was really here. I’ve been told it’s called depersonalization/derealization disorder. I was on Celexa and never felt this way. My doctor is switching me to Lexapro and I’m praying this feeling goes away.”

khpan February 19, 2020

Paxil CR (paroxetine): “It good for anexity but must take it more than one month to feel better.”

Brainzap · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 18, 2020

“I was persuaded by my GP that I would be 'a new man' if I went on 20mg Paroxetine daily for my long standing health anxiety. This did happen but not in the way I hoped. I did feel better initially and anxiety decreased but at what a cost! I became lethargic and changed to a sleep cycle from 7am to 3pm and seemed to have a permanent brain fog and the dreaded 'brain zaps' were my constant companion.After a long and unpleasant withdrawal I am free of this horrible drug.If you are thinking of going on it my advice is don't!”

Anonymous February 11, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was very skeptical about taking paxil as I’ve never taken a daily medication before. I started taking it and was on it for 4 days. On the fourth day I work up with this dizzy/ groggy feeling. I didn’t think much of it and then I took my medication for the day. I decided to take a nap due to the dizzy feeling and when I woke up I had the worst suicidal thoughts, my head felt even worse, my eyes couldn’t focus on anything, my pupils were dilated, my body felt extremely limp but I was shaking and I also had cold sweats. I called my doctor and she recommended I go to the hospital. I ended up not going because one of my friends had gone through the same thing and told me to stop taking the medication and just drink some water and eat some food. I felt better for the rest of the day but that night I only got 3 hours of sleep due to nightmares and suicidal thoughts.”

Izzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“I had a weird experience on this medication. My pupils would dilate soooo big and I would feel too hyper, like I was on an upper. Also my vision was so blurry I barely could see anything ! It just made me super weird ! I don’t recommend this medication . But maybe it will work for you ?”

Kjls · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I started Paxil over 15 years ago after an unexplained bout with extreme anxiety and depression that did not respond to hypnosis, yoga, nothing!!! After trying a few other meds that didn't work, my dr suggested Paxil. When I first started it I also took Klonopin for the horrible anxiety. Within about 6 weeks I totally felt the dark cloud disappear so I went off Klonopin. I have never had to increase my dose!! I'm still on 10 mg, 15 years later. I tried weaning off of it 3 times already and each time I would get really weepy and depressed, so I've decided to stay on it!! Yes, I've gained weight but that is nothing in comparison to how I was feeling prior to being on Paxil”

Mary · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 15, 2020

“My pharmacy ran out of the Paxil I normally receive. He gave me generic paroxetine and I experienced pretty severe withdrawal symptoms. I had hot flashes, several severe anxiety attacks, loss of appetite, diarrhea, palpitations that caused me to feel as if I was going to pass out, high blood pressure, tremors and insomnia. What is the level of the active ingredient in Paxil when produced by this company? I have had issues with other brands of Paxil but not as severe as with this company's pills.”

Lemony · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “My doctor prescribed me Paxil as she felt I had anxiety (and that I was depressed as a side effect). For what little anxiety I felt I had, it works great. I flew for the first time and felt no anxiety at all, I was like, “Wow, this is what it feels like to be normal.” However for depression, I still do get sad, although that may just be me (my therapy sessions are rather useless). At first when taking this I was on cloud 9. I was feeling great, and I had no appetite at all so I lost 8 pounds. Once I got used to eating without being hungry, my appetite got back to normal. I also started getting constipated while taking this, so my Dr. prescribed me Miralax. I also have noticed that it seems to have dulled my senses “down there”, it takes longer to have an orgasm which is frustrating. I have heard about how this is a difficult drug to get off of, which I am nervous about. All in all I think it works okay but this is also the first anti-depression medicine I have ever taken.”

bean · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Worst medication i have EVER been on in my entire life. Constantly tired, sleeping 16+ hours a day on short school mornings; cried when I had to work job at night due to exhaustion. Could physically not bring myself out of bed, worsened depressive episodes and dark thoughts. Depression went from a 5 to a 10 within a few weeks. I would genuinely not recommend this medication to anyone suffering from depression or any other ailments for that matter; I wouldn’t risk it even if the doctor was sure it was going to work. You might have a good reaction unlike me, but I would not wish the risk of feeling this way on anyone I know.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “This is my first day of taken paxil and I'm on 20 milligrams and I'm still really dizzy and lightheaded and feel very weird since this morning. I called my doctor she told me to take a half of one in the morning I pray it works for me”

Chris_m · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Hi everyone. I have a question. I feel very sad, depressed and above all anxious... I went to the ER here in my country because I was convinced something was really wrong with me At the ER they checked my heart, my blood pressure and everything was fine. My doctor wants me to start Paxil, I took it for three days already, and I have Xanax for when it gets worse. My question to you all is; how do u cope until the Paxil starts to work? Thank you in advance.”

Fredz December 11, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “This drug works, but not without consequences. It took 17 years of my life. Taking this drug put you in the grey zone. It masks all your feelings, and all the side effects.... I also used 1,5 years tapering of this awful drug, every time I reduced my dosage, the withdrawal came. Now I'm older I know I will do anything to not be dependent on such drugs.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2019

“Paroxetine is good drugs for anxiety and for panic or depression covered the depression”

Shelby · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “HI, I have been on Aropax for 7 days now due to depression and anxiety. In the first few days of taking it I was incredibly shakey and when I spoke my voice sounded distant from my own like I was in a dream like state. I was yawning all the time. Although the symptoms seem to be getting better. I have restless legs, dry mouth, a stiff jaw and neck, I am cold all the time and my skin feels like it is itchy or crawling. I wish I did more research before taking it as I have just read how bad the withdrawal symptoms are. Do you think if I stop taking them now only after 7 days it would be OK? Also I feel like I am gaining weight but eating a lot less due to no appetite and drinking lots more water due to dry mouth. what to do?”

Lucy November 9, 2019

“Been on paroxatine for 5 weeks for anxiety feel worse increased dose feel worse than ever is this normal thanks.”

Eli · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 8, 2019

“I have been taking seroxat (paroxetine in the UK) after I was diagnosed with panic attacks disorder and consequently depression. This is my happy pill and it really saved my life once I found my appropriate dosage (20mg every morning). No side effects at all!!”

Ken · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “After years and years of trying and failing with different medications, my doctor finally recommended paroxetine for my anxiety. No side effects unless I DON'T take it, no groggy feeling or haze over my memories anymore. I can function without feeling tired out half way through the day, I don't get dry mouth, I don't gain weight on this medication. All of which have been an issue with other meds in the past. Im very grateful to have found this.”

Dixie · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

“It has helped me somewhat, But unfortunately I'm allergic to it. I have a rash all over & itching like crazy. Doctor said it was Poison Ivy.... Where's the blisters & oozing ,etc? He gave me Prednisone that has helped. But every time I take my Paroxetine the itchy rash comes back. Hope there is something better. Prozac stopped working, have tried Wellbutrin, Zoloft, etc. I'm a ticking time bomb..”

Loubarry · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 13, 2019

“I suffered from extreme anxiety out of nowhere beginning in June of this year and quickly became agoraphobic. I started on Paxil 7 weeks ago and I cannot believe the results so far. I started on 10mg and have been on 20 mg for a little over a week. I’m am now able to get out and about driving, shopping and eating out again. Still have some anxiety but I’m functioning and happy. I’m hoping the remaining anxiety goes away with time. I do not want to take more than 20mg. My only side effects are tiredness and I can no longer orgasm. I was so afraid to start this medication because of bad experiences with Effexor and lexapro before Paxil but I can tell you it’s been a miracle for me. I know not everyone will react positively to it but if you have anxiety please give it a try and give it time. I’m so thankful I did!”

JustMe · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Resisted taking any antidepressant for my anxiety Started paroxetine in July/ 10 MG, 2 -3 weeks. Stopped due to side effects. Restart in Aug, (4 weeks) at 5 mg. Quit again due to I got hyper. Restart again, slowly increase dose 2.5 to 5 mg work up to 10 mg. Dr. say I need antidepressant. I get panic attack and OCD. I had death in family in March. It may relieve OCD and lessen Panic. But I got very dizzy In past. One vertigo attack I fell over. Still assessing if it's for me.”

Stillhopeful · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was really hoping that paxil would work for me since it worked for my sister. I have intrusive thoughts and anxiety. This medication ramped my anxiety up bad . Thoughts way worse. I'm stopping after 6 days. I know there are those who say keep with it. I am getting 1 hour of sleep on this drug. I cant stay on it. It's not for me. I realize it may help people, but my comments are for those it didn't work for. You are not alone. I have insomnia, increased anxiety, I am a mess.”

Hope989 · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “I took Paxil for 19 years and it relieved my anxiety and depression. I gained 40 lbs over those 19 years but I was happy. In May I decided to try Lexapro and sure enough I've lost 25 lbs. But at the expense of anxiety and depression returning. My Dr increased dosage from 10 -20 mg 5 weeks ago and now I can't sleep. I'm going back to Paxil, I'd rather be fat and happy, than skinny and depressed!!”

erdem · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was diagnosed major depression and anxiety disorder 19 months ago. I first tried Lexapro 9 months and it worked for a while but then anxiety came back. Then I used Milnacipran for 7 months but the same story. I have been taking Cymbalta for 8 weeks already and my psychiatrist decided to add 20 mg Paxil. I am on the 4th day and today I experienced intense fear. No side effects so far, but I guess I am already suffering from Cymbalta side effects. I will write further reviews in the following days. I couldn't find any review mentioning Cymbalta and Paxil together, so I will share my experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 15, 2019

“I suffered from anxiety for years and had random panic attack’s out of the blue. I experienced this since I was 16 but never got help. Over time it got worse and I developed agoraphobia. Never in my life did I think I would have that happen to me. I stopped working, driving and even going to the grocery store put me in a panic. Home was my safe place. I finally got help at age 32 and was diagnosed with panic disorder. Paroxetine has brought me back to life. I have been on 10 mg and live a normal life again. I would say the biggest side effect for me is feeling tired all the time. The panic has almost diminished but I do carry Ativan just in case for the rare occasion of needing it. I recommend this medicine it has changed my life for the better. I have been on it for about 3 years.”