User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

"I started this medicine 09 DAYS ago. I had my first panic attack ever like a month ago. My anxiety started about 2 months ago after receiving a phone call with a bad news. I was so anxious that I stopped eating and sleeping. During those past two months I was feeling very anxious in the mornings and afternoons and some times back to my normal self at night. I developed a social phobia as well. Paxil has terrible side effects, nausea, insomnia, total loss of appetite ( didn't have much to start with) drowsiness, involuntary muscle movements...... etc. I thought about stopping it the third day because of insomnia. I made it to day 9 and my anxiety isn't realty better.doc said give it more time."

anxious2017 September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi I really wanted to share my experience as I read so many reviews that made me scared to take this drug. I switched after citalopram stopped working for me. I am now 4 months in and on 50mg (started on 20 and increased slowly) I have had no side effects with this drug apart from a dry mouth for about 2 days. My anxiety improved within days, not an instant cure but I was coping better. I feel that I am nearly back to normal now after what a period of crippling anxiety. I still feel worried sometimes but can now rationalise thing and the intrusive thoughts are about gone (fingers crossed!) I wanted to leave a positive review the reviews I read terrified me."

Otis79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this about a year ago (20mg) and I thought it was helping pretty good for my anxiety but like 3 months into it I was noticing some weight gain. Then about 6 months the weight gain has gotten worse and I gained about a good 40 pounds and I felt as if I was never full anymore and I was constantly hungry even a few minutes after I would eat a full meal. I am weening off of it now and in the process of trying Lorazapam (ativan) so we'll see how that works. Other than that I would recommend at least try this since everyone might not experience weigh gain and excessive hunger like I did."

ItsAng August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was suffering from awful situational anxiety and depression, hard time fully functioning, couldn't eat, sleep, focus, cried every day, was an emotional mess. Dr put me on 20mg Paxil and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take effect. Within a week I felt so much better. I could eat, sleep, stopped crying altogether, and stopped being constantly overly emotional. I did sometimes have a difficult time fully accessing emotions, gained too much weight, and am having trouble with motivation so I'm currently on day 4 of weaning myself off, nothing but mild side effects so far. For me Paxil was extremely helpful to get me through a very difficult time and get me back to functioning so I could keep my job and parent my children."

KLCin July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "WORST DRUG EVER! Side effects were body shocks, headaches, worse anxiety, etc. I only took it for three weeks and it caused me to feel numb mentally and emotionally. Drove me nuts! So I went off it and let me tell you... WORST withdrawals ever! Lethargy, bad thoughts, apathy, brain zaps, mood swings, depression, etc. Before you take it, which I DON'T recommend as there are other options, read stories about the withdrawals. Theres so many lawsuits against it. Oh and it induced a mania in me and now I'm stuck on antipsychotics..."

Lela3338 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Back in October 4 , 2015 I had my first severe panic attack I thought I was going to die. I couldn't go to the store and be in line at the cash register and couldn't even drive. My quality of life was really bad at that point. I remember thinking I can't take care of my kids can't even do the things I used to do like go to the park go buy groceries even go to my kids school events I felt horrible. I told my Doctor what has happening I got prescribed paroxetine 20 mg. It saved my life. I know it takes time be patient it's worth it."

Mar12241982 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hate this drug so much!! At first is was helping me sleep, and now it's causing so much anxiety, insomnia, Vertigo, panic attacks to the point of feeling paralyzed. My chest feels weird constantly and my vitals are normal. I did end up having a seizure with this medicine!!! I am on 40mg get me off this damn drug! Such bad anxiety and racing thoughts. My brain isn't calm! I can't hardly eat because of the insomnia and anxiety!!!! This is the WORST drug ever. Do not stay on this drug. I'm always sweating with this stupid drug and having anxiety and unable to fully stay asleep. I have so many side effects now. I hate it!!!!"

Herstruly0 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started Paxil approx 3 weeks ago and my life started changing for the better about 2 weeks into it. I feel my social anxiety dissolving, I didn't realize how depressed I was, but life is starting to look so much brighter. I suffered with bad pe which made sexual intimacy impossible, and this has pretty much gone away. I am becoming more outgoing and able to express myself to others and working hard to remove everything in my head which caused my anxiety by talking with my spouse and others in my family. I am also becoming much more comfortable in social situations. I sure hope in continues, because I can't imagine going back to my old self. I had bad nausea and was so tired the first week, but so worth it."

Kt5132 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication caused sudden, severe weight gain 43lbs. (19.5 kg) over four months weight gain and did little for my anxiety. I wouldn't recommend it!!!! It should be taken off the market for its adverse side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Paxil in highschool in 2000 for severe social anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder. I stopped going to school...Stopped eating..Stopped socializing with family and friends. Paxil changed my life back then. I started going to school, I made high honors, I started eating and having a life again. After that time my anxiety was manageable. I went off the Paxil and just used Valium for panic attacks. For years I was able to keep my anxiety under control with the least amount of medication as possible. Now (June 2017) I am experiencing the same bad anxiety I dealt with years ago. I'm back on Paxil (day 2) and I feel good. I hope it changes me so I can enjoy life again, make my partner happy and start working again. Give Paxil a try!!"

SpenceMJ1985 June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Here is my experience with 10+ years of taking Paxil. It did a good job controlling anxiety in combination with Lorazepam 4x daily. But there was a huge cost to taking Paxil. I gained 10lbs for every 10mg of Paxil I took for a total of 40lbs gained slowly over years. Also, erectile disfunction became a problem. Finally, about 2 years ago, because of insurance change, I had to change psychiatrists. My new psychiatrist asked me if I had noticed side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction while on Paxil. I had no idea my weight gain was related to Paxil. He weaned me off Paxil an on to Prozac. I lost 40 lbs in 6 mos without trying. Prozac works just as well with my anxiety. Perhaps Paxil isn't the right choice for some people."

SlimmerWNoPaxil May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "It will do nothing negative. Give it a try to enjoy life. Life is short. Don't take the burden of social anxiety and panic attacks for your whole life. If you still feel terrible when taking Paxil use inderal as well and you will see an improvement in life. My score for Paxil CR is 9/10 in just days. PS if you ignore this illness it will give you IBS, high BP, anxiety, messes with career goals, gives heart problems, sleep problems, low energy, you need short naps, always low confidence and so on. I avoided medicines from age18 to 28 years and now finally I took the step for paxil. Stay blessed ...."

Aitezaz (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I waited a week before braving this for long term anxiety treatment, the side effect put me off but my anxiety is still so bad day to day. So yesterday I took my first tablet and what followed hours after was the following: -sickness (was sick twice) -diarrhea -shortness of breath -palpatations -worse feeling panic and anxiety than before -suicidal thoughts (almost took myself to the hospital-but rode it out instead) -awful nightmares and virtually no sleep -shakes now I feel frail and am laying in bed all day trying to recover from taking the 1 tablet.."

happysaddoll (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Pros: works for anxiety, depression Cons: weight gain, ED, orgasm troubles, just stopped caring about everything"

nanotech23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been taking paxil and Trazadone and its been helping me to get through each day. My anxiety is down and I sleep well."

Lilyrose223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was skeptical at first but just after the first week I feel a huge difference. I have slight nausea, dry mouth and yawning but they are getting better. The world is a much better place now."

Copper69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil worked every time for me. I wouldn't say it save my life bc I believe God saved my life. But let me tell you it brings you back to normal sanity. When your not obsessing bout your anxiety or depression or feeling sad, that's when you know you hit the jack pot. Anxiety and depression come out of no where and Paxil helped every times. Been on for 11 years on and off. This time round bout 4th time took longer and little stronger dose but hang on. I swear to YOU it gets amazing. Not better but GREAT. LIFE IS SO GOOD. SEEK HELP"

SonyaBoBonya February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started on 10mg Paxil 2 months ago, and my life is changed. I was able to recognize how amazing life is without the shadow of anxiety which caused my depression. I came back to myself. My therapist recommended doing a trial of 20mg to see if my remaining anxiety issues could be subsided as well. I just started today and I feel a little more lethargic than I'd like to and I fear for my sex life. I'm going to try it for a while until my body adjusts and if I still feel out of sorts, I'm going to drop back down to 10mg. The first week or two of symptoms was pretty terrible, I was yawning excessively. VERY nauseous, tired often...but as soon as my body adjusted, an amazing sense of clarity came over me--first time in 15 years. Life changing."

LadyMadonna0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took for two days, slept a lot in and out. Felt like a zombie, lost memory, couldn't function normally. Called the Dr. after two doses , he suggested cutting the pill in half , will try soon , afraid to start again, I didn't like the effect at all , but I will try soon again. Lets hope I can tolerate better this time . I will resume tonight, praying this works. I wouldn't suggest driving at all."

bob cet January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I don't understand why people quit after 3 days starting it. It made them too anxious or depressed - isn't this why you are taking it? It doesn't work overnight. I too am very impatient and would prefer a quick fix. But the first 2 weeks are rough but if your persevere the benefits outweigh the startup. I'm into my 3rd week and it's working really well it is like a lightbulb moment. I gave a 9 because for the life of me I cannot orgasm but I'll take that over the suicidal thoughts and feeling lifeless anyday... remember give it time your brain needs to adjust... stay strong x"

Ethan100 January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 35 yrs old male, and I have extreme anxiety (can’t move out from the house) and panic attacks. Started 3 months ago, take only 15 mg/day: 1st week: extreme nausea from 2nd week: felt nothing, sometimes I had some light nausea, but nothing serious side effect. from 4th week: definitely felt myself better, most of my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. from 12th week: the drug shows his evil side. I don’t know why, but I feel myself like a zombie. The extreme nausea is back, I always have headache, and my appetite is totally lost. On the one hand this drug is great against anxiety, but on the other hand, has many many terrible side effects. I guess, I’ll quit, not worth it."

francooois (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017