User Reviews for Paroxetine systemic

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

"Since April 2018, I started to suffer from severe anxiety. It was horrible because I really thought I was going to die. In order to prevent the dark tunnel of depression, my doctor suggested that I start taking Paroxetine 10 mg for 1 week, and then up the dose to 20 mg. YES the first 2 weeks I had some side effects, but then I started to feel that my anxiety is gradually disappearing. It took it around 7 weeks to fully kick in, and after 4 months I feel that I am back to my old self without weight gain or libido problems. To people having anxiety trouble, rest assured that Paroxetine works fine for anxiety, and PLEASE DO NOT play the role of the doctor with this kind of medicine, especially that during the first 2 weeks things can be confusing. However, each person is different, some people react positively with Paroxetine and some not. So keep in touch with your doctor who will guide you through the process of taking Paroxetine or another SSRI. Best of luck!!"

CS September 22, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have tried other SSRI'S, they haven't worked as well. I take it with 100mg of Wellbutrin, which completely counteract the sexual side affects for me."

JayR (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took Paxil for anxiety and depression. It worked great for the first 3 days, then suddenly everything got SO much worse than it had ever been. I had the worst dark thoughts for the first time in my life and tried to "tough it out" because I knew it could take a few weeks to work. Worst few weeks of my life. I've been off of it for 2 days and I already feel better. I'm a 22 yo female. Lexapro also did not work for me."

tiredgymgirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "It changed my life!"

Lane (taken for 10 years or more) September 17, 2018

"This medicine helped me a LOT! I was suffering from anxiety, but didn't want to see a doctor and take medication. However, things got worse and I had to see a doctor. He prescribed Paxil 20mg. In the first weeks, I noticed nothing. But after 3 weeks, I started to get better and better from anxiety. Now, I don't get crazy about problems. I just relax and live a normal life, without dark and persistent thoughts like before. The only thing there is not nice in Paxil is that it can cause weight gain after 4 months of treatment."

Bond (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on this drug for 3 years. It's really effective, but if you are prone to weight gain BOY will you put on weight! The biggest con is coming off them. I'm currently going from paxil to Prozac. Paxil withdrawal includes insomnia, dizziness, headaches, feeling faint, itchy skin (like you are being covered in ants), and sweating. I've come off many antidepressants in the past and this is the worst withdrawal I've had."

Beez (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Started taking this about 3 weeks ago. I was having crippling anxiety symptoms. I feel much more levelled out - and don't feel affected in terms of clarity or my ability to think. My physical anxiety symptoms have much lessened and they're not a constant distraction, as they were before I was taking this. Very pleased my clinician put me on this. I've only had one possible uncommon side effect, there was a few days about a week in wherein I felt like my pupils were more dilated than usual (I would look at my pupils in the mirror and they seemed larger, but because I wasn't actually comparing this to before taking the medication, I couldn't be sure that this is what I was truly experiencing), but it was never for more than several minutes at a time; this side effect disappeared around the 2 week mark."

somebody1278 (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took paxil for years for anxiety. The side effects got to the point I discussed with my doctor about getting off of it. He recommended tapering and starting welbutrin. I can say this. The paxil withdrawal symptoms are purely awful. I would lie in bed for weeks. Couldn't stop vomiting. Dizziness still persists. While it did alleviate anxiety. I'd rather have anxiety than the awfulness it put me through. I would never recommend this to anybody"

Joesep (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2018

"Been on 20 mg paroxetine 2 and a half years. Pros-- Fewer to non-existent panic attacks; better able to cope with anxiety producing circumstances; able to drive on the expressway without panicking Cons--Huge weight gain (continually have to buy new clothes!); can't come off without terrible withdrawal symptoms Verdict--Wish I had researched side effects better before filling prescription!! Currently attempting to slowly taper off...cut back to 10 mg. a month ago without terrible symptoms."

MemTN (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2018

"What I can say, WOW. I became relaxed and calm in FEW DAYS. First few months on paroxetine is like a best dream that you can have. Also, first few months I had some side effects - erectile dysfunction, anorgasmia, sleepiness. Day by day I was feeling more tired, sleepy, numb, cold hearted, angry and aggressive, had trouble with memory. This drug made me so depressed and numb. After one year of treatment I've decided to stop taking it. Am I bad? I did "Cold Turkey". But after 3 weeks of this I took dose again. After some research I started tapering by 25%. It took me 2 months to get off of paroxetine. This time it wasn't that horrible. TO SUM UP: In my experience, if anxiety and panic attacks take over you, paroxetine is the way out. But you gotta keep in mind that it gives you EXTREMELY STRONG withdrawal. Amazing drug for anxiety, but in long term can make you depressed, even suicidal."

Lithuania June 11, 2018

"I was scared to try it because of all the reviews. Here’s an opinion for people who are considering it. The first few days (about 3-4) you might feel lightheaded, dizzy, and nauseous. If you do take it before bed so you can sleep though it. After the first few days those symptoms go away when your body gets use to the drug. It does take about 2 weeks for you to notice any difference. So give it time and in the meantime ask your doctor for some Xanax to calm you down for the two weeks. It helped me! After 10 days I saw a difference in my anxiety. I’m on 20 mg and my doctor thinks I’ll need to up my dosage because I still have anxiety. Also, remember that not every drug works the same on everyone. Just give it a chance if it does not help move on."

Rayray (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have to agree with what Monasusie wrote on this subject (1st of September, 2017). I think this is a helpful drug - it helped me reduce my anxiety in different social situations at work, and prevented me of finding other not so constructive and not so healthy solutions to reduce my fear. It gives me energy and courage. So Paroxetine (or Paxil like you call it in the Anglo-Saxon world) may have a bad name in the press, but it treated me good. Friendly greetings from Western Europe, Alphons"

Fons1971 January 22, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "During college years received Paxil to deal with exam stress. It calmed me and initially helped . No weight (sporty) but if I missed a dose after 1 year I started crying for no reason, my doc kept prescribing it and I thought I was OK. Yet it totally "numbed" my true emotions and stole my conscisouness and nature. I was mostly in my "head", seeking "pleasures" and not feeling the necessary "fears" (dangers) in life. After 18 years it "pooped-out" and did not work at all. I was just tired and depressed. I had to "wean off" which was a nighmare (panic, brain zaps, pains, suicidal urges, pure hell). Long term Paxil use simply destroyed my "emotional brain" and my inner and outer life!"

Paxil = Devious + Spelbounding January 7, 2018

"I originally took Paroxetine for anxiety, I was stressing out terribly. Couldn't go to school, church, etc. My doctor gave me Paroxetine for it. This made it worst my first day taking it. It was a pretty good day. The second day, better, I was enjoying stuff and things were "normal". Eventually, on the third day, It was like everything overflowed. Worst anxiety, depression, everything. I know some might say it takes a week or two, but no, things got worse."

Dan2269 December 21, 2017

"I was on Paroxetine for 7 years. I have generalised anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia. This drug did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Side effects: no sex drive, vertigo, dizziness, brain zaps, general feeling of being out of touch with emotions (unable to feel sad when watching sad movies/tv, unable to cry when feeling sadness or joy), night sweats and nightmares nearly every night, depression, suicidal thoughts. My anxiety did not change, my panic attacks did not lesson, actually anxiety and panic got worse, ended up in hospital from a panic attack while on it. Only stayed on it for so long because doctor said it was helping (where?!?). Off it I’m the same just without side effects yey!"

Ri91ri November 29, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started taking Paxil for anxiety and depression and started feeling sick on first pill. Nauseous, headaches, trembling, body shocks etc. After the second pill I found it was starting to get hard to orgasm. By the forth pill I couldn't orgasm and quit taking it at that point. Not ready to give up sex to possibly get over some anxiety and depression, but seriously if the side effects are this bad after 4 pills what would a month be like. Then after stopping after 4 days it was like the whole process in reverse as I has gotten over the headaches and sickness after 2 days, it took another 2 days to get over it once stopping. I am going to try something else or just go back to self medication, at least the side effects are more manageable"

Disso1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

"This drug near killed me .. Why ? couldn't sleep even an hour, had panic attack .. Paroxetine it's worst nightmare ,.,. Dire Side effects"

strikers (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I started this medicine 09 DAYS ago. I had my first panic attack ever like a month ago. My anxiety started about 2 months ago after receiving a phone call with a bad news. I was so anxious that I stopped eating and sleeping. During those past two months I was feeling very anxious in the mornings and afternoons and some times back to my normal self at night. I developed a social phobia as well. Paxil has terrible side effects, nausea, insomnia, total loss of appetite ( didn't have much to start with) drowsiness, involuntary muscle movements...... etc. I thought about stopping it the third day because of insomnia. I made it to day 9 and my anxiety isn't realty better.doc said give it more time."

anxious2017 September 9, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

"Hi I really wanted to share my experience as I read so many reviews that made me scared to take this drug. I switched after citalopram stopped working for me. I am now 4 months in and on 50mg (started on 20 and increased slowly) I have had no side effects with this drug apart from a dry mouth for about 2 days. My anxiety improved within days, not an instant cure but I was coping better. I feel that I am nearly back to normal now after what a period of crippling anxiety. I still feel worried sometimes but can now rationalise thing and the intrusive thoughts are about gone (fingers crossed!) I wanted to leave a positive review the reviews I read terrified me."

Otis79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017