User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine): "It took a few days for the anxiety to lessen. That with the major depression I suffer took about two months to feel better. One note: My doctor added Prestiq about three weeks ago. This combination has worked for me and today I'm on day six of minimal depression/anxiety. I feel normal. I feel like I'm myself again. Weight gain is my only concern but compared to the hole I was in, it's not a big deal."

artist19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took Paxil for 1 year for anxiety and depersonalization, it did not help with my depression, but it helped a lot with anxiety. I did not gain weight but I had trouble sleeping during the first few days taking it. It made me feel sleepy during the day. No sex drive. It’s not a miracle pill but it helped me A LOT with carrying on with my life and getting my stuff together. Withdrawal symptoms were the worst!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2019

"I have always suffered from anxiety and panic attacks and went to numerous doctors, psychiatrist etc and no relief, then in January 2000 a doctor put me on Aropax and after the first few weeks of the drug getting into my system it worked really well for me. 19 years later it stopped working and the anxiety came back. I have been put on a different drug while coming off the aropax slowly. Believe me when I say it is an evil drug to come off, I have now been off it completely for 1 week and the symptoms are still with me, I can only describe it as noisy vertigo , a swishing noise and electric shock type feeling in my brain which feels like its bobbing around in a pool of fluid. When I move my eyes I can hear it in my head, yes it was a great drug for 19 yrs but I never want to go through this withdrawal again"

Bee February 2, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "In my experience antidepressants never worked. Maybe I was misdiagnosed but still I’m not myself. Not even antipsychotics work but they work better than SSRI's on me. I think I have ADHD and I think no one will ever diagnose me."

TJ-GR (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "I had been taking paxil for fibromyalgia pain for 30 years. It worked great, it also helped with my depression and anxiety. Not one adverse reaction in 30 years. Then in November 2018 my pharmacy could no longer fill my prescription. I was told they no longer make paxil. I started taking cymbalta instead but it did not work and I went into a deep depression, unable concentrate, hurt all over and suicidal. Why did they stop making it? My Dr. started me on Prozac 6 days ago and I am struggling to focus. I cry all the time and can't think straight. I have feelings or worthlessness and don't care if I live or die. Why did they stop making it. (They stopped the Paxil brand but it is still available as a generic tablet called paroxetine)"

Anonymous January 8, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "Taken this medication on and off for over 20 years . Few side effect when going on medication . Never had any withdrawal symptoms even when I forgot to take and when I stopped taking medication Totally cured my anxiety/depression ."

Jo67 January 5, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking Paxil for about 5 years now for anxiety and depression. It took about 2 weeks before I noticed any changes in my symptoms. I no longer suffer from panic and anxiety attacks. The side effects for me have been weight gain (20lbs) and decreased ability to achieve orgasim. I have recently cut down from 20mg to 10mg and while my anxieties have ramped up somewhat, it has brought my sex life back. I feel 10mg is the right balance for me now."

Michael (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "I used Paxil for 7 years for anxiety and it works fine , it’s not that you don’t have any anxiety but it does diminish it . Last year I decided to quit because I thought I don’t need it anymore and started taking half dose ( 10 ) and then a quarter . Everything was fine till 15 days after I had quit totally . My anxiety came back and the negative thoughts were on the run . So I get back on it , 15 days now and am felling better . It takes at least a month to fully work , but in the meantime anxiety is there . Only the people who suffer this can understand how overwhelming this constant fear can be . I think this will be forever or until something really awesome and new came to market . You can not live in fear ."

Red (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 2, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "10 years on paxil. If you have anxiety this drug should help. I had depression as well and think it helped there as well. I was on low dose of 15mg used with 50mg wellbutrin. These two drugs work great together. I've noticed periods where I think I feel to good. Now we are looking at potential of SSRI induced hypomania. This is fairly common and I only figured it out after reading a lot of info online. If you need to get off Paxil I recommend getting liquid version and titrating very slowly off it. Months not weeks. I'm currently down to 7mg and feel low most times. Trying Lamictal now and will wait and see how that does. Paxil also gave me issues with my sex life."

Matt (taken for 10 years or more) January 2, 2019

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I took Paxil CR for anxiety for about 3 years. My max dosage was 67.5mg a day, which is too high. Paxil worked amazing for me for about 2 years at 37.5mg a day. After 2 years it started to lose efficacy, and that's when they kept raising my dosage. My main side effects were increased appetite (gained 20 lbs) and excessive sleepiness. Some nights I would sleep for 18-20 hours unintentionally. This was somewhat problematic. This drug did give me my life back when it worked and it did work very well for my anxiety for 2 years. Despite what people say, tapering off Paxil was not hard at all. My psychiatrist said that this is one of the stronger SSRI's that generally works fast and is great for anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was on paxil 18 years ago it changed my life, I was shy never dated, I was put on paxil and then married the first guy I went out with. I have been married 18 years, have 5 kids. I had to go off paxil while I was having my first 2 children and they switched me to Zoloft when I was having number 3. Zoloft worked good for me for 10 years but I have switched back to paxil. I have been back on it 17 days and hope it works again. I also have OCD, panic attacks, well all that paxil treats. It runs in my family."

dd December 28, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety, intrusive thoughts, scattered thinking and obsessive list making for about 5 years. I started taking 10 mgs. of Paxil about 2 weeks ago. I can't tell you what a miracle this drug has been! I actually got the prescription about 5 months ago but was too anxious to actually start taking it. It took a friend expressing her concern to convince me to start. I am so thankful that I did. I noticed an immediate decrease in my anxiety. I am a bit sluggish but I will take that for the decrease in anxiety. I experienced a major stressor within the past week and I handled it without overanalyzing and obsessing on the worst possible outcome. It feels so good to be me again!"

bjw76 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I used Paxil for 13 months for general anxiety. My general doctor introduced paxil to me. I've started with 10mg and later increased it to 20mg. It worked amazingly for that time. The only downside was I gained 13 pounds and lost my sex drive that made me want to quit. I knew that I shouldn't stop cold turkey , so I consulted with my doctor. This medicine withdrawal is the worst. Tapering off from 20mg to 10mg was nightmare: constant electric shocks, flu like pain in the whole body, nausea and vomiting . It took two weeks for me to adapt to the lower dose. Changing it to 10mg every other day was ok but again quitting it all for good was the worst torture . I tolerated the nausea and vomiting for 5 days in the row and I couldn't do it any more so I took the 10 dosage again. Doctors don't warn you about the withdrawal but please please if you are reading this , don't take start paxil. Quitting it is the hardest thing that you can not even imagine."

Vandad November 30, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "Was so anxious about taking this medication due to all of the horrible reviews. It seemed like I couldn’t stop Goggling about it because I just wanted to find someone that had a good experience. Well I have! I went on Paxil for almost two years and it helped me not only get back to myself but a better self. I never gained weight because I exercised few times a week and I never had the crazy side effects. If your thinking of going on Paxil I would highly suggest it. I also did not get the horrible side effects while weaning off. My anxiety was a little high but nothing crazy. I am hoping this helps someone out there because I understand the frustration of reading all of these horrible reviews for the mediation your trying to go on :-/ I did have a bad experience with a medication but I was only on it for two days and got off It right away. You need to do what your body tells you. Never stay on something that makes you feel crappy."

Trish (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2018

"Since April 2018, I started to suffer from severe anxiety. It was horrible because I really thought I was going to die. In order to prevent the dark tunnel of depression, my doctor suggested that I start taking Paroxetine 10 mg for 1 week, and then up the dose to 20 mg. YES the first 2 weeks I had some side effects, but then I started to feel that my anxiety is gradually disappearing. It took it around 7 weeks to fully kick in, and after 4 months I feel that I am back to my old self without weight gain or libido problems. To people having anxiety trouble, rest assured that Paroxetine works fine for anxiety, and PLEASE DO NOT play the role of the doctor with this kind of medicine, especially that during the first 2 weeks things can be confusing. However, each person is different, some people react positively with Paroxetine and some not. So keep in touch with your doctor who will guide you through the process of taking Paroxetine or another SSRI. Best of luck!!"

CS September 22, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have tried other SSRI'S, they haven't worked as well. I take it with 100mg of Wellbutrin, which completely counteract the sexual side affects for me."

JayR (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took Paxil for anxiety and depression. It worked great for the first 3 days, then suddenly everything got SO much worse than it had ever been. I had the worst dark thoughts for the first time in my life and tried to "tough it out" because I knew it could take a few weeks to work. Worst few weeks of my life. I've been off of it for 2 days and I already feel better. I'm a 22 yo female. Lexapro also did not work for me."

tiredgymgirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "It changed my life!"

Lane (taken for 10 years or more) September 17, 2018

"This medicine helped me a LOT! I was suffering from anxiety, but didn't want to see a doctor and take medication. However, things got worse and I had to see a doctor. He prescribed Paxil 20mg. In the first weeks, I noticed nothing. But after 3 weeks, I started to get better and better from anxiety. Now, I don't get crazy about problems. I just relax and live a normal life, without dark and persistent thoughts like before. The only thing there is not nice in Paxil is that it can cause weight gain after 4 months of treatment."

Bond (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on this drug for 3 years. It's really effective, but if you are prone to weight gain BOY will you put on weight! The biggest con is coming off them. I'm currently going from paxil to Prozac. Paxil withdrawal includes insomnia, dizziness, headaches, feeling faint, itchy skin (like you are being covered in ants), and sweating. I've come off many antidepressants in the past and this is the worst withdrawal I've had."

Beez (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Started taking this about 3 weeks ago. I was having crippling anxiety symptoms. I feel much more levelled out - and don't feel affected in terms of clarity or my ability to think. My physical anxiety symptoms have much lessened and they're not a constant distraction, as they were before I was taking this. Very pleased my clinician put me on this. I've only had one possible uncommon side effect, there was a few days about a week in wherein I felt like my pupils were more dilated than usual (I would look at my pupils in the mirror and they seemed larger, but because I wasn't actually comparing this to before taking the medication, I couldn't be sure that this is what I was truly experiencing), but it was never for more than several minutes at a time; this side effect disappeared around the 2 week mark."

somebody1278 (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018