User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was on 40mg for months and I noticed absolutely nothing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I suffer from generalized anxiety, and my phichiatrist prescribed me 10mg Paxil even though I already take 25mg of seroquel. I took it on Friday Morning was good all day. I took it on Saturday, I was a bit sluggish. Sunday morning I took it at church I felt a sudden cold sensation of the back of my head and down my back. I had to leave early because I started to feel weird. Around 3am I woke up feeling scared out my mind for no reason. I couldn't go back to sleep. The next day I spend all day anxious than at night after I took the seroquel. I was still anxious I laid down and started getting sleepy. My husband was holding me and when I opened my eyes a few seconds later my entire body was tingling. It was one of the worst feelings ever."

Beyshie September 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil is going to effect everyone differently. What worked great for me, may be the worst medication you've ever tried. I've been on Paxil for 20 years and for a large majority of those years, Paxil really helped me with my anxiety. I've been back and forth between 15-30mg many times. I never had any major side effects from it (not libido, not weight gain). The thing with Paxil is, there's the potential for what's called "Paxil poop out" (yes, it's real, Google it) where the Paxil stops being effective. I was completely unaware of this so I was totally blindsided with debilitating anxiety and horrible panic attacks out of nowhere one day. I was really bummed because Paxil had done so much good for me. It's a great med when it works."

Mr. Anxious (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

"I have always been an anxious person. I'm a musician who performs a lot and have been taking Xanax for performing anxiety. About a month ago I went home to visit my family and started having really bad anxiety attacks that would happen every day. My heart would start racing, palpitations, hyperventilation and numbness in my arms. Every single time I thought that it was the end of my life and I was waiting for my heart to stop. I went and got blood tests and all was fine. Saw a cardiologist and my heart is ok.( I have bradycardia with rbm under 50). I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed seroxat(peroxetine) 10 mg before bed. It has been 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel better. Haven't had another panic attack. no side effects either."

Dienush August 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I tried them for 4 months!! It was the worst experience i ever had!! I got brain zaps and could not sleep at all. I have mild severe frontal brain damage from a fall. Coming off them is worse than any benzo I have tried!! In fact there just as bad if not worse than a benzo. atleast the benzo drugs work for anxieties!!!! . If you read about antidepressants like i did on google. You will see that they are nothing more than a addicting placebo . Don't let anyone get you on those medications. Just google the fact that the drug companies are handing them out like candy and they do more harm than good. If you like sex than don't get involved with antidepressants!! Because you will not have any sexual wants whatsoever. I wish they did work!!"

brain injured August 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Ive been taking Paxil for around 3 years now,Im under 18 by the way for people who say its not safe,For my Anxiety,the first 2 years i was on it i was on 20mg,then sometime in 2015 switched it to 40mg,Now im on 60mg,and ive never been better,as far as anxiety goes,Ive tried Zoloft and it did nothing but give me more anxiety,I was on Latuda with it and i had to stop the latuda because I had horrible side effects to it,Ive never had a bad reaction to Paxil,maybe other than slight weight gain. If your going to take Paxil for Depression i wouldent recommend it,but everyone its different,its never helped as far as depression goes,it does slightly help now that im on the 60mg,but im still looking for a anti-depressant to go with it."

Anna_R2000 July 3, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I had a pretty good experience while taking this drug. I decided to pursue a career that would need me to not be on any medications and talked to my doctor about it. She slowly started to take me off the medications and that took about 2 months total to get off. About 4 days after I stopped taking the medication completely I began shaking uncontrollably, was nauseous and my depression/ anxiety was through the roof. I went to the ER and they said it was withdrawal. These side effects lasted about 2 months total but weren't as severe the whole time. Its been about 5 months since I went off and I feel great!"

HHAn June 27, 2016

"This drug is great but the side effects outweigh the benefits. After taking this medication for a couple of months, the anxiety definitely stopped. I felt a lot more laid back and confident. However, horrible side effects settled in... First of all, I gained a lot of weight very quickly. I didn't even change my eating habits. In a year, I gained about 20 kg or 40 lbs. I didn't even do anything different. In fact, my eating habits became healthier. Second of all, I developed chronic constipation. The constipation led to hemorrhoids, which are very painful and annoying. I drank a ton of water and I took some laxatives but nothing helped! Third of all, my sex drive went away. It felt like I was castrated. This was highly irritating! Overall, I think that this medication should be a tool to help you cure your anxiety, it should not be a solution. I stopped taking it after a year and I still feel laid back and relaxed, although the constipation is still present! If you can find another way to relieve your anxiety, it's even better. With this drug, you get what you want but "something's gotta give"."

admadm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Am able to drive around town way better, but not on freeways or bridges. Sometimes feel dizzy when tired or overexerting. Doing more fun stuff"

June1978 June 12, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "* Reminder, everyone's experience is different and you won't know how this medication works for you until you try it.* I'm 18 and used to suffer from severe social and general anxiety, and mild depression. I've had a bad past with antidepressants but I decided to try Paxil (20mg) because I was desperate. My anxiety is 95% gone, I'm wanting to be more social, and I'm happy all of the time! I don't worry anymore and it's amazing. There are some side effects (which were terrible the first week but reduced with time); headaches, reduced libido, tiredness, smaller apetite {I'm thankful for this one}, and insomnia. Paxil works amazing for my anxiety and I'm so happy I tried it. I'm making new friends and I think I'll secure a job soon :)."

Whistlescript (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Okay so I started taking Paxil a few months ago for anxiety, only 10mg. For the first little bit it was weird, my body felt different and I couldn't eat much, my bowel movements became very irregular. I felt like it was maybe working. I became very tired (I've always been a late sleeper) but it was hard to get out of bed, my thoughts were constantly negative, especially when I would be alone or driving alone. I had a constant headache i didn't want to do anything. I worked out a little bit in the duration but not much. I Couldn't decide whether I should stop or take more and I stopped. It's been about 2 weeks now and I'm starting to feel better and more positive, but still anxious"

Lostandconfused2016 June 2, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Crippling, horrible anxiety brought on by menopause. Couldn't take hormones. I went through heck trying many antidepressants. One smart doctor tried me on lowest dose of generic Paxil, never changed the dose, allowed my system to get used to it. It worked like a charm! I am able to work full time and do anything I want. The side effects are minimal for me. Yes, I gained some weight but now enjoy taking walks to exercise. No regrets about trying this med at all. Life saver!"

Ann10 May 1, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Panic attacks and anxiety were completely gone, but with that came tons of side effects. I gained over 40 pounds and it was IMPOSSIBLE lose until getting off of Paxil. No sex drive and couldn't orgasm at all while on it. It made me a little zombie-like, I didn't have any low emotions but not any high ones either. Coming off of it gave me extreme symptoms like headaches, loss of appetite, sore muscles, insomnia, mood swings, and weird violent thoughts. Will all be worth it though once I'm over the withdrawal period. Positive withdrawal symptom: Weight loss!!"

beckbeck17 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was put on this medication for anxiety that I experienced suddenly. My initial panick atattack was so bad that I had throat paralysis. I could not make myself swallow, scariest thing ever. I was on paxil 20mg for 6 months before I stopped. The medication helped with the anxiety but the zero sex drive, constantly sleepy feeling and deep yawns with vivid crazy dreams along with 15 pound weight gain was terrible and not worth it."

jennlynn16 April 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Social anxiety involved with my job was causing insomnia and a feeling of constant dread. I take 20 mg. Here is how it affects me: I no longer lay awake at night worrying about the next day. However, I now wake up several times a night on Paxil, but always quickly fall back to sleep. So overall, this is a great improvement in sleep for me. Oddly, my dreams are now very vivid. I have actually woken up laughing. Rather than fearing social interaction, now at worst I am mildly annoyed by it. I have not been transformed to a gregarious person, but social interaction it something I no longer fear facing. Other side effects: mild constipation, less prone to anger, 80% loss in sexual interest, and alcohol has more of an effect"

52.yr.old.male April 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have taken paxil on and off for roughly 17 years. I thought it was helping and that the anxiety, moodiness and feeling a bit zoned out was normal and hormones. But 10 months ago I changed to Zoloft due to a pregnancy and I feel like a new person. My husband was the first to notice it! My stress levels have decreased hugely and I'm much calmer and life is much easier."

Little Joey March 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on 10 mg for years, over 10 for anxiety. I'm at the point now where my 30 script will last 2-3 months and take it 1 out of 3 days. It worked for me, changed my life for the better. A few side effects but manageable."

Anonymous March 26, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was struck with crippling anxiety and panic attacks when I was 20, I am now 37.I was prescribed Paxil and started on 20 mg. Stayed on the med for 6 months. It didn't do anything for me but make me a robot, phased out of my own life and like I was just on auto pilot. I informed my doctor that I wanted to opt out and that I didn't want to try any other meds. So I dropped to 10 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg and off. The reason why I am writing this after 17 years is because I started having abnormal heart beats, Tachycardia, while getting off of the med, as soon as I dropped to 10mg. Even though I got through the anxiety and am completely free today, the Tachycardia remains. There are much safer options today."

Galarnix March 2, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been having anxiety since 15 and was always prescribed Paxil since it always worked great for me. Decided to get off of it thinking I was good to go and just this past xmas I got all my anxiety back after being off the pill for almost year. I'm 25 and decided to try something diff just because if I wanted to get pregnant and they gave me lexapro. I can tell you lexapro has helped but is nothing like Paxil nor as quick as Paxil. Definitely going to ask for Paxil back again when I see my doc next week. I've been on lexapro for 5 weeks today."

Sonyarez09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil has become my latest drug to combat frontal traumatic brain injury (tbi). benzo drugs works good. but they thought they were addicting. well just look up all the people that have tried to quit paxil!!!. Its a nightmare. In my opinion these drugs should be banned to treat people with TBI!!!. If you want to take a drug and later it quits working, what are you going to do? good luck because TBI sucks and there is nothing besides benzo drugs that help. I have had mild TBI for 36 years. Don't let them get you on paxil. I think its bad but don't believe only me - look on the iternet before you take them. I sure wish i did!!!. Good luck its the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. "

miltary January 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Started 20mg of paxil 3 weeks ago after coming of effexor. At the moment I get a lot of anxiety throughout the day & sweating. Hope this starts to go soon as its still very early days."

minnie58 January 31, 2016