User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil worked every time for me. I wouldn't say it save my life bc I believe God saved my life. But let me tell you it brings you back to normal sanity. When your not obsessing bout your anxiety or depression or feeling sad, that's when you know you hit the jack pot. Anxiety and depression come out of no where and Paxil helped every times. Been on for 11 years on and off. This time round bout 4th time took longer and little stronger dose but hang on. I swear to YOU it gets amazing. Not better but GREAT. LIFE IS SO GOOD. SEEK HELP"

SonyaBoBonya February 18, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started on 10mg Paxil 2 months ago, and my life is changed. I was able to recognize how amazing life is without the shadow of anxiety which caused my depression. I came back to myself. My therapist recommended doing a trial of 20mg to see if my remaining anxiety issues could be subsided as well. I just started today and I feel a little more lethargic than I'd like to and I fear for my sex life. I'm going to try it for a while until my body adjusts and if I still feel out of sorts, I'm going to drop back down to 10mg. The first week or two of symptoms was pretty terrible, I was yawning excessively. VERY nauseous, tired often...but as soon as my body adjusted, an amazing sense of clarity came over me--first time in 15 years. Life changing."

LadyMadonna0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took for two days, slept a lot in and out. Felt like a zombie, lost memory, couldn't function normally. Called the Dr. after two doses , he suggested cutting the pill in half , will try soon , afraid to start again, I didn't like the effect at all , but I will try soon again. Lets hope I can tolerate better this time . I will resume tonight, praying this works. I wouldn't suggest driving at all."

bob cet January 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I don't understand why people quit after 3 days starting it. It made them too anxious or depressed - isn't this why you are taking it? It doesn't work overnight. I too am very impatient and would prefer a quick fix. But the first 2 weeks are rough but if your persevere the benefits outweigh the startup. I'm into my 3rd week and it's working really well it is like a lightbulb moment. I gave a 9 because for the life of me I cannot orgasm but I'll take that over the suicidal thoughts and feeling lifeless anyday... remember give it time your brain needs to adjust... stay strong x"

Ethan100 January 23, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 35 yrs old male, and I have extreme anxiety (can’t move out from the house) and panic attacks. Started 3 months ago, take only 15 mg/day: 1st week: extreme nausea from 2nd week: felt nothing, sometimes I had some light nausea, but nothing serious side effect. from 4th week: definitely felt myself better, most of my anxiety and panic attacks are gone. from 12th week: the drug shows his evil side. I don’t know why, but I feel myself like a zombie. The extreme nausea is back, I always have headache, and my appetite is totally lost. On the one hand this drug is great against anxiety, but on the other hand, has many many terrible side effects. I guess, I’ll quit, not worth it."

francooois (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm currently 18 and I have been on paxil for a few months, it's my first try on an SSRI or any medication for anxiety. It works really well, I'm on 20mg and its not that I'm never anxious but my life feels liveable and that's what matters to me. Despite at first always being super sleepy it was nothing compared to thinking wow this is how life is mostly supposed to be like. For me it works, but falling asleep a lot was poo,and there are still certain triggers that I still don't/can't stand but its much better now. Please note people that you don't just quit an SSRI! You have to talk to a doctor on getting off of it or else your brain will be like what is going on. Thus the side effects of withdrawal and so on."

Celeste Nyx January 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been on Paxil for 17 years, started with 10 mg, stayed with that dosage for about 10 years. Loved it in the beginning, slept great and mood improved a bunch. Eventually I went to 20 mg. It's worked okay over the years. I noticed some improvement with the increase, but never really significant.The transition from 10 to 20 was seamless. Over the years I have tried to switch to other SSRIs as it seems the Paxil just wasn't doing it anymore. But none have made me sleep better than Paxil, so I always go back. After a miserable attempt with Celexa, I'm now trying 30 mg of Paxil. I never thought my dose would get so high. I'm on Day 4, and other than a constant headache, I feel no changes. Hoping my mood and outlook improves one of these days."

DanaO420 January 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on and off Paxil CR several times over the past 3 years. It has been a life saver! I am able to be myself and enjoy life everyday instead of focusing on my Anxiety. The first few weeks can be a little challenging adjusting to the medicine but it is totally worth some nausea and sleeplessness."

Anonymous December 13, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking Paxil now for 3 months. Within 2 weeks ALL of my random panic attacks stopped. No more frustration or trying to understand why I have crushing panic attacks... they are gone and I sleep like a baby. It is God sent I lived in turmoil for years. I'm taking 20mg every morning. Only bad part is.... I have almost no appetite and my sex drive is slightly lower than normal. Small price to pay to have peace of mind. Hope this helps."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Panic attacks almost totally finished"

SouKay November 13, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on it for about 4 years . And have found it to be very helpful with my general anxiety. The first week was rough and it seemed like my heart was racing all the time. My Dr said hang in there and a couple days later it seemed to begin to work. I was on the 12.5 cr twice daily. And now take 40 mg a day regular regular release. Seems if I have a few drinks I wake the next morning with a racing heart. If I miss a couple doses I hear a whooshing sound in my head. Thus freaked me out, but people who try to get off of it on their own claim it to a common side effect. So in my opinion stick with it avoid alcohol. It also helped my stress related prostate problem"

SSmokinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started to get anxiety and panic attacks when I was 24. I am now 30. I have tried multiple of medication for anxiety, bi-polar,depression etc... I was getting the racing thoughts but worst of all was the womp feeling you get it's hard to explain. I was on benzo as well and nothing helped me. Psychiatrist, group talk but your the only one who knows what you feel others do not understand it. I have always been a deep person and would think way to much. I got out of that stage on my own. Trust me it sucks i still get "crazy" but on Paxil it really helped me I only take Paxil nothing else. You name it I was on it schizophrenia meds as well. I understand when people say I can't get up I can't go out. Just try it all are different!"

Bjoyce86 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started Paxil after telling my doctor I had general anxiety and the medication worked after two weeks. At the time my anxiety wasn't high but it was a level 3 out of 10 so the medication helped out. I was able to be more social and worry less traveling around NYC, but I noticed that I started to gain weight which sucked. After 6 months I wanted to come off because I noticed i never really needed it and this was the hard part. Coming off it was horrible! It made me have higher anxiety without it, and it was anxiety I never experience before. I've been off for 4 months and I still haven't felt the same since before taking Paxil. I'd really recommend taking any medication like Paxil if you really need for panic attacks or high anxiety."

Stephen1122 October 24, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "After 5 years on Paxil, then 2 years on Paxil CR, I weaned myself off in 2 months. I had severe nausea, and abdominal pain for 3 months. I am back on Paxil 10 mg.daily, under a Physician Assistant's care to eventually wean off. Nausea is gone, as is the abdominal pain. It was so bad for those three months, I was hardly able to function, because of the extreme nausea."

happy bunny October 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I used to take Lexapro but it seemed to stop working so I asked to switch to Paxil. Have been taking it for 4 days it has made me feel 100x worse. Do not like this drug. Thinking of going back on Lexapro or trying Celexa maybe??"

Wanttofeelnormal4 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "So far I have been on it 5 days and I am experiencing the worsening of my anxiety symptoms. It's like I can sit still and am in a constant state of panic that even my Xanax is not helping. I am praying that this passes quickly and I start to feel better. I am taking 10mg every morning currently. Supposed to do a checkin with my psychiatrist Tuesday so hopefully the side effects have lessened some by then. I am so amped up with anxiety I am hardly eating and walking about 16,000+ steps a day mainly from pacing. As a stay at home mom of 3 busy kids and a husband who travels frequently I hope relief comes soon!"

Panicked mom (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was on 40mg for months and I noticed absolutely nothing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I suffer from generalized anxiety, and my phichiatrist prescribed me 10mg Paxil even though I already take 25mg of seroquel. I took it on Friday Morning was good all day. I took it on Saturday, I was a bit sluggish. Sunday morning I took it at church I felt a sudden cold sensation of the back of my head and down my back. I had to leave early because I started to feel weird. Around 3am I woke up feeling scared out my mind for no reason. I couldn't go back to sleep. The next day I spend all day anxious than at night after I took the seroquel. I was still anxious I laid down and started getting sleepy. My husband was holding me and when I opened my eyes a few seconds later my entire body was tingling. It was one of the worst feelings ever."

Beyshie September 13, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil is going to effect everyone differently. What worked great for me, may be the worst medication you've ever tried. I've been on Paxil for 20 years and for a large majority of those years, Paxil really helped me with my anxiety. I've been back and forth between 15-30mg many times. I never had any major side effects from it (not libido, not weight gain). The thing with Paxil is, there's the potential for what's called "Paxil poop out" (yes, it's real, Google it) where the Paxil stops being effective. I was completely unaware of this so I was totally blindsided with debilitating anxiety and horrible panic attacks out of nowhere one day. I was really bummed because Paxil had done so much good for me. It's a great med when it works."

Mr. Anxious (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have always been an anxious person. I'm a musician who performs a lot and have been taking Xanax for performing anxiety. About a month ago I went home to visit my family and started having really bad anxiety attacks that would happen every day. My heart would start racing, palpitations, hyperventilation and numbness in my arms. Every single time I thought that it was the end of my life and I was waiting for my heart to stop. I went and got blood tests and all was fine. Saw a cardiologist and my heart is ok.( I have bradycardia with rbm under 50). I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed seroxat(peroxetine) 10 mg before bed. It has been 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel better. Haven't had another panic attack. no side effects either."

Dienush August 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I tried them for 4 months!! It was the worst experience i ever had!! I got brain zaps and could not sleep at all. I have mild severe frontal brain damage from a fall. Coming off them is worse than any benzo I have tried!! In fact there just as bad if not worse than a benzo. atleast the benzo drugs work for anxieties!!!! . If you read about antidepressants like i did on google. You will see that they are nothing more than a addicting placebo . Don't let anyone get you on those medications. Just google the fact that the drug companies are handing them out like candy and they do more harm than good. If you like sex than don't get involved with antidepressants!! Because you will not have any sexual wants whatsoever. I wish they did work!!"

brain injured August 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016