User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Paxil (paroxetine): "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Ive been taking Paxil for around 3 years now,Im under 18 by the way for people who say its not safe,For my Anxiety,the first 2 years i was on it i was on 20mg,then sometime in 2015 switched it to 40mg,Now im on 60mg,and ive never been better,as far as anxiety goes,Ive tried Zoloft and it did nothing but give me more anxiety,I was on Latuda with it and i had to stop the latuda because I had horrible side effects to it,Ive never had a bad reaction to Paxil,maybe other than slight weight gain. If your going to take Paxil for Depression i wouldent recommend it,but everyone its different,its never helped as far as depression goes,it does slightly help now that im on the 60mg,but im still looking for a anti-depressant to go with it."

Anna_R2000 July 3, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I had a pretty good experience while taking this drug. I decided to pursue a career that would need me to not be on any medications and talked to my doctor about it. She slowly started to take me off the medications and that took about 2 months total to get off. About 4 days after I stopped taking the medication completely I began shaking uncontrollably, was nauseous and my depression/ anxiety was through the roof. I went to the ER and they said it was withdrawal. These side effects lasted about 2 months total but weren't as severe the whole time. Its been about 5 months since I went off and I feel great!"

HHAn June 27, 2016

"This drug is great but the side effects outweigh the benefits. After taking this medication for a couple of months, the anxiety definitely stopped. I felt a lot more laid back and confident. However, horrible side effects settled in... First of all, I gained a lot of weight very quickly. I didn't even change my eating habits. In a year, I gained about 20 kg or 40 lbs. I didn't even do anything different. In fact, my eating habits became healthier. Second of all, I developed chronic constipation. The constipation led to hemorrhoids, which are very painful and annoying. I drank a ton of water and I took some laxatives but nothing helped! Third of all, my sex drive went away. It felt like I was castrated. This was highly irritating! Overall, I think that this medication should be a tool to help you cure your anxiety, it should not be a solution. I stopped taking it after a year and I still feel laid back and relaxed, although the constipation is still present! If you can find another way to relieve your anxiety, it's even better. With this drug, you get what you want but "something's gotta give"."

admadm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Am able to drive around town way better, but not on freeways or bridges. Sometimes feel dizzy when tired or overexerting. Doing more fun stuff"

June1978 June 12, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "* Reminder, everyone's experience is different and you won't know how this medication works for you until you try it.* I'm 18 and used to suffer from severe social and general anxiety, and mild depression. I've had a bad past with antidepressants but I decided to try Paxil (20mg) because I was desperate. My anxiety is 95% gone, I'm wanting to be more social, and I'm happy all of the time! I don't worry anymore and it's amazing. There are some side effects (which were terrible the first week but reduced with time); headaches, reduced libido, tiredness, smaller apetite {I'm thankful for this one}, and insomnia. Paxil works amazing for my anxiety and I'm so happy I tried it. I'm making new friends and I think I'll secure a job soon :)."

Whistlescript (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Okay so I started taking Paxil a few months ago for anxiety, only 10mg. For the first little bit it was weird, my body felt different and I couldn't eat much, my bowel movements became very irregular. I felt like it was maybe working. I became very tired (I've always been a late sleeper) but it was hard to get out of bed, my thoughts were constantly negative, especially when I would be alone or driving alone. I had a constant headache i didn't want to do anything. I worked out a little bit in the duration but not much. I Couldn't decide whether I should stop or take more and I stopped. It's been about 2 weeks now and I'm starting to feel better and more positive, but still anxious"

Lostandconfused2016 June 2, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Crippling, horrible anxiety brought on by menopause. Couldn't take hormones. I went through heck trying many antidepressants. One smart doctor tried me on lowest dose of generic Paxil, never changed the dose, allowed my system to get used to it. It worked like a charm! I am able to work full time and do anything I want. The side effects are minimal for me. Yes, I gained some weight but now enjoy taking walks to exercise. No regrets about trying this med at all. Life saver!"

Ann10 May 1, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Panic attacks and anxiety were completely gone, but with that came tons of side effects. I gained over 40 pounds and it was IMPOSSIBLE lose until getting off of Paxil. No sex drive and couldn't orgasm at all while on it. It made me a little zombie-like, I didn't have any low emotions but not any high ones either. Coming off of it gave me extreme symptoms like headaches, loss of appetite, sore muscles, insomnia, mood swings, and weird violent thoughts. Will all be worth it though once I'm over the withdrawal period. Positive withdrawal symptom: Weight loss!!"

beckbeck17 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was put on this medication for anxiety that I experienced suddenly. My initial panick atattack was so bad that I had throat paralysis. I could not make myself swallow, scariest thing ever. I was on paxil 20mg for 6 months before I stopped. The medication helped with the anxiety but the zero sex drive, constantly sleepy feeling and deep yawns with vivid crazy dreams along with 15 pound weight gain was terrible and not worth it."

jennlynn16 April 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Social anxiety involved with my job was causing insomnia and a feeling of constant dread. I take 20 mg. Here is how it affects me: I no longer lay awake at night worrying about the next day. However, I now wake up several times a night on Paxil, but always quickly fall back to sleep. So overall, this is a great improvement in sleep for me. Oddly, my dreams are now very vivid. I have actually woken up laughing. Rather than fearing social interaction, now at worst I am mildly annoyed by it. I have not been transformed to a gregarious person, but social interaction it something I no longer fear facing. Other side effects: mild constipation, less prone to anger, 80% loss in sexual interest, and alcohol has more of an effect"

52.yr.old.male April 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have taken paxil on and off for roughly 17 years. I thought it was helping and that the anxiety, moodiness and feeling a bit zoned out was normal and hormones. But 10 months ago I changed to Zoloft due to a pregnancy and I feel like a new person. My husband was the first to notice it! My stress levels have decreased hugely and I'm much calmer and life is much easier."

Little Joey March 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on 10 mg for years, over 10 for anxiety. I'm at the point now where my 30 script will last 2-3 months and take it 1 out of 3 days. It worked for me, changed my life for the better. A few side effects but manageable."

Anonymous March 26, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was struck with crippling anxiety and panic attacks when I was 20, I am now 37.I was prescribed Paxil and started on 20 mg. Stayed on the med for 6 months. It didn't do anything for me but make me a robot, phased out of my own life and like I was just on auto pilot. I informed my doctor that I wanted to opt out and that I didn't want to try any other meds. So I dropped to 10 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg and off. The reason why I am writing this after 17 years is because I started having abnormal heart beats, Tachycardia, while getting off of the med, as soon as I dropped to 10mg. Even though I got through the anxiety and am completely free today, the Tachycardia remains. There are much safer options today."

Galarnix March 2, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been having anxiety since 15 and was always prescribed Paxil since it always worked great for me. Decided to get off of it thinking I was good to go and just this past xmas I got all my anxiety back after being off the pill for almost year. I'm 25 and decided to try something diff just because if I wanted to get pregnant and they gave me lexapro. I can tell you lexapro has helped but is nothing like Paxil nor as quick as Paxil. Definitely going to ask for Paxil back again when I see my doc next week. I've been on lexapro for 5 weeks today."

Sonyarez09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil has become my latest drug to combat frontal traumatic brain injury (tbi). benzo drugs works good. but they thought they were addicting. well just look up all the people that have tried to quit paxil!!!. Its a nightmare. In my opinion these drugs should be banned to treat people with TBI!!!. If you want to take a drug and later it quits working, what are you going to do? good luck because TBI sucks and there is nothing besides benzo drugs that help. I have had mild TBI for 36 years. Don't let them get you on paxil. I think its bad but don't believe only me - look on the iternet before you take them. I sure wish i did!!!. Good luck its the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. "

miltary January 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Started 20mg of paxil 3 weeks ago after coming of effexor. At the moment I get a lot of anxiety throughout the day & sweating. Hope this starts to go soon as its still very early days."

minnie58 January 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took it for a week and could fall asleep at the drop of a hat...and I couldn't afford to being like that. If you had to work all day all week and sometimes be up during the night. Paxil may work for some, but made me WAY to drowsy. My psychiatrist switched me over to 100mg Zoloft and while that was somewhat better, she also put me on a 150mg Wellbutrin (zoloft Wellbutrin commonly called "Welloft"). Paxil was no good to me and quite possibly the worst to get off of."

OCD+GAD+PDD (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "This medication has been extremely helpful to me. 7 months ago, I developed IBS, which made me very nervous about my stomach. I slowly became nervous about everything, not knowing that my anxiety was more than just " little worries." I was afraid to go to important events, thinking something bad could suddenly happen to me all the time. My mother was noticing these changes in my personality, so then made me go to a therapist. That was when I was suggested to be put on Paxil. I was afraid to take Paxil, but when I was finally forced to, I noticed changes within a week with just 5mg. I moved up to 10mg, and everyone could see changes in how I acted everywhere. I am currently still on 10mg, but even a little can do a lot, even for you!"

KA2353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have tried most SSRIs and some SNRIs. Paxil was indeed the most effective for me with my anxiety symptoms. By now you have probably read the horror stories on the internet about coming off of it. Indeed this happened to me. It was horrible. I went off of it because I thought I was better and ended up off of work because my symptoms got so bad. This was because I was being followed by a GP who did not know about discontinuation syndrome (early 2000s). However, I wouldn't write this drug off necessarily. After the discontinuation hell I experienced I was referred to a psychiatrist who used the taper to Prozac method to get me off of Paxil.This method worked for me. Hope this may help someone to know about it."

upatreereadingabook (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil works great for me but it took 3 months for it to work. That's not surprising however my body has always taken a long time to get used to/accept drugs. My start up side effects were extreme fatigue, excessive yawning, derealization, depersonalization, depression and apathy(apathy and depression could've been a result for the anxiety and not the paxil) . One day while at work it just hit me and I started feeling better happier but not 100%. I'm currently at 30mg which seems to work fine. The only bad thing about being on Paxil for me is the sexual side effects(it is really hard to climax! uhg) Otherwise, I feel fine. In fact, I even have vivid dreams, which for me is nice, and more energy."

Msavvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

"I use to take this drug when I had severe anxiety and depression disorder. My doctor changed my dosage as needed and I took anywhere from 10-40mg at a time. I eventually stopped taking it with my serious side effects and was doing good until recently when I started taking 10mg again. I started getting chest heaviness, numbness and tingling in my arms, hands, feet and head. Leg pain at night. Back pain. Ice pick headaches, heavy headedness, dizziness, weakness. Numbness in throat and trouble swallowing, complete loss in sex drive and unable to orgasm, and I think, white vaginal discharge and severe anxiety. I find most symptoms are worse the first few hours after taking it. I don't know why it's doing this now and not before."

Red14 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Took a single Paxil pill and felt immediately sick within two hours or taking it. This "sick" feeling lasted for a solid week. I thought that I probably just got the flu at the same time I started taking Paxil, so I tried it again. Nope, still made me feel sick. I didn't think it was possible to get every single common side effect listed from taking one pill, but I guess I was wrong."

Alwaysanxious December 30, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have always had anxiety ever since Iwas young but this past summer I was so bad I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I was even at the point I didn't want to leave the house I was so depressed. I didn't know what I was going to do and I was ruining my daughters and husbands life so I went to the doctor and she put me on paxil 30 mg. I didn't want to take it cause I never take pills not even for a headache and was scared how it was going to make me feel. But I took it and it changed my life after about a month I could go places and enjoyed life again with God and my family's help I am doing so much better I still have some days I don't feel good but i don't let it get me down so if anyone is struggling with anxiety there is help out there"

heavenly sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "This pill has changed my life. I had no idea how bad I suffered from anxiety until I started taking this. I take 20mg a day and after a month I noticed a huge change. It's been 2 months now and I feel like myself again. I'm so glad I decided to see my doctor and get help. I can't believe I lived for so long being so miserable. I have so much fun now doing things I couldn't do when dealing with my anxiety. I love going out and meeting new people when before I could barely leave the house to grab the mail without having crazy fears. I am able to talk about my anxiety openly to anyone now too which is a huge change. The only problem I have is sleeping, which my doctor had to prescribe another drug for that."

Jenb13 December 4, 2015