User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started taking Paxil 20mg a few days ago. I just started a new semester at uni & got a new job & I don't handle stress well at all. I am petrified of social situations and I'm always 'nervy' & everything bothers me...literally everything! Very easily annoyed & very easily stressed out, which is all part of anxiety. Anyways, this medicine has worked wonders for me so far. I can actually walk through the halls at uni without feeling the terror. No panic attacks or flu-like symptoms afterwards anymore. So far, I've lost my appetite & have trouble sleeping, but nothing I can't handle. I wouldn't say I feel like a zombie, but I feel relaxed and slightly tired.I'm taking metabolism supporting vitamins hoping it prevents weight gain"

Livie August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've always had social anxiety but manageable as I would avoid social situations and worked independently for the most part. I was promoted to a management role and things started getting out of control. I couldn't speak to anymore for any longer than 10 minutes. I would shake uncontrollably and have panic attacks. I thought I would have to quit the dream job I worked towards my whole life. I spoke to my doctor and she put me on Paxil. I'm at 37 mg for 7 weeks now and my life has changed. I can hold meetings within my team. I can speak without having panic attacks. I love this drug. It has saved me from losing my job and my social life."

tazly July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I grew up with anxiety but as I got older it turned in to social anxiety and really turned me into an ugly person... I started feeling super insecure about my appearance, had uncontrollable obsessive thoughts, weird fantasies, I believed I wasn't normal.... after getting sick of feeling so insecure and anxious, I know something was wrong with me. My doctor prescribed me 10mg of Paxil for the first 2 weeks, and 20mg after. I'm now 4 months and a few days in, and I'm starting to feel much more calmer, my attitude towards life is positive!!I'm starting to talk more in class and it's gradually getting better. The first 2 months where hell"

jeremyyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started this for anxiety and depression, mostly social anxiety. It definitely helped with my social anxiety but not in a good way. I swear it caused a personality change. I went from being terrified of talking around people to randomly blurting out weird stuff in class and being squirrelly and hyper. I went from this quiet shy girl to being kind of whacko. I started getting in trouble in class for being disruptive. I was regularly displaying behavior that was inappropriate in public. Weirdest thing ever. I discontinued it and after a little while was back to myself. Not sure how common this is? Very strange."

Made me a different person. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Got a big rash on my abdomen, that got increasingly painful and itchy. An allergic reaction to the medication (I wasn't taking anything else at the time) This was a shame! Because the medication had a substantial effect on my social anxiety. The first few days I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster, but then I started to really enjoy social interaction, I could understand why people talked to other people for fun! Only ended up taking it for a little over a week, but wanted to share my experience incase anyone else is experiencing a rash."

Roxie22 May 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil definitely works for social anxiety. However, the side effects just became intolerable over time. What are those side effects? Well, for one, you will be tired all the time. Secondly, I found it really hard to focus, and I would forget things that just happened. Thirdly, and most disturbingly, I became a zombie who didn't care about anything and couldn't empathize with people!! I couldn't feel any emotions; I couldn't cry. Not only that, but it was also hard to experience positive emotions/pleasure. This phenomenon is called "emotional bluntness". I didn't notice that I was experiencing this emotional numbness (and most others don't notice too) until people around me started pointing it out. That's just my experience."

J-Gar (taken for 10 years or more) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Paxil for about 3 month starting my fouth it's been helping me a lot with my panic disorders & social experiences. My mg for Paxil is low 20mg. However, whoever is starting this medication don't get discourage it will take ( 1 month) time for Paxil to kick in but it will be worth it. A big con is; that ejaculation time got delayed."

PERSON2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was very hesitant to take medication as I had been raised to associate it with seriously mentally ill people in a negative way. Social anxiety had extreme physiological effects on me, though, that therapy could not fix, i.e. the inability to speak loudly over loud noises or when out somewhere like a club, and premature ejaculation. Paxil basically fixed this immediately. Paxil makes it so much easier to silence negative thoughts automatically. I was and am on a very low dose (10mg) and it works so well. It really did change my life. The only negative side effects are that it makes me sleepy. It also gave me a weird sensation in my teeth for the first month or so, but I actually enjoyed that feeling."

JG696 March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Was on Paxil for 4 years because I could never handle the withdrawal symptoms. I had severe aches and electric shocks along with all flu symptoms. I finally slowly tapered off over 3 months with the liquid Paxil. I have been off of it now for at least 10 years. I have tried at least 100 different supplements and anti anxiety treatments.....I have tried them all...believe me.....it is hell on earth when you can't provide for your family. I even spent $4000 having all my mercury fillings removed. I had genetic testing of SNP polymorphism's that revealed MTHFR and MAO mutations. I found a genetic reason for my anxiety. In short I can't make neurotransmitters and when I do I can't break them down so they build up causing social anxiety."

Jubaea March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking paroxetine for about 2 yrs. I had dealt with social anxiety and depression my whole life and I'm 51 now. I could deal with it, but when I got a promotion and needed to facilitate mtgs, training etc. I would have panic attacks and it was horrible. I had tried a couple other meds. (lexipro, Prozac and they didn't help). I feel like a new person.. I actually feel ok for the first time in my life. I don't worry about what people think of me and I can actually be happy. I am so thankful to God and this drug!!"

shv51 February 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been on Paxil for about 1 month starting my second it's been helping me a lot with my panic disorders & social experiences. My mg for Paxil is low 10mg. However, whoever is starting this medication don't get discourage it will take time for Paxil to kick in but it will be worth it at the end just set a daily reminder everyday to take it."

katharinne24 February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "For years I felt depressed and shy and had anxiety but was too young to understand and definitely too shy to say anything . As I got older I decided to talk to my doctor on how I was feeling . After a few years on and off of anti depressants feeling so sick I couldn't take them anymore. And now I'm 21 I have been on Paxil for about 6 months. The first month was really hard because I felt so nauseous and shaky and heart kept racing and was extremely tired . But I fought through it all . And today for the first time I feel alive , happy , loved and most importantly I feel like myself and how I should have felt along time ago. Please do not drink on this medication or any other anti depressants. It will definitely slow the process down ."

ShaniaL February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have suffered from all kinds of anxieties, like Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks, Obsessive thoughts and Social anxiety. There are times when you have NO social anxiety, for instance, in my case, even after stopping 25mg CR version Paxil, there had been no fear of social confrontation, just shyness or may be low self-esteem or introversion. But when SA attacks again, its a very gradual process. Even if you notice a slight sign of SA coming back, you try to disprove your own opinion by thinking - ''Now I have learned, this feeling is just stupid, doesn't make sense and I am definitely not gonna develop a full fledged SA." But when SA comes back you have no idea but to start taking Paxil again."

DeepanshuGupta_India (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have only been on this medication for about a month, and I've felt the best I've felt in over two years. I feel my self esteem has increased, as well as toleration of speaking to people and being in crowds. Only thing is that my appetite has gone up somewhat, and I've gained a little weight. But that is only a small price to pay for a happier life."

stalecupcake3466 December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "O M G Where has this drug been my whole life? I have only been on it for little over a week and already I am feeling "more than functional"! So functional in fact that I am re-enrolling into school and getting my drivers license back. I feel like there's hope for me and i do in fact have a future, and people who love me. like i said, i've only been on it for over a week. I hope this keeps rolling the way it is now! but definitely 10/10 Other drugs I have tried that were NOT helpful: zoloft, escotalopram, effexor. Not saying you should disregard them though. i'm supposing that different drugs help different people for different reasons. *shrug"

Harryharrold (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Started on 10mg. It helped my anxiety a lot, but I would HAVE to take naps during the day or I couldn't function. That improved after several months. I upped the dose to 20mg. I forgot what it was like to have social anxiety. It was wonderful. The downside to this is that I gained 45 pounds in those 11 months. I'm 5'5. I went from 115 to 160. I've never had issues with weight. I've always had trouble GAINING weight. I didn't want to gain this much. No change in my exercise routine or eating habits. I had to go off of it because it was destroying my self esteem and causing depression. The withdrawals were hell, but I'm gradually losing the weight I gained now that I'm off of it. I'm so disappointed, but hopefully I can find another med."

UsneaDecay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been on Paxil since 2012. All in all there has been good and bad like any medication. Some side effects people complain about like tiredness and appetite increase for me have been to my advantage. Anxiety robbed me of my appetite and sleep. It has helped me with my social anxiety in ways other media didn't. It actually made me want to be more sociable and made me finally see how small my fears were which I made out to be so unreal. Anyways now I don't fear public places or people anymore I feel normal as I would call It!"

Canadian4Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I have started taking Paxil CR 12.5 mg six months ago, for my stuttering and fear of talking. In the beginning I felt slightly down and kind of panicky, but after 1 week those bad feelings went away completely. It has helped me a lot. I can say that my stuttering has improved. I am 80% fluent most of the time and even if I stutter I don't care that much anymore. I also feel closer to people and more confident in general. I feel happier also, and lost 4 kg due to the appetite loss and feeling full earlier. Sex drive has decreased a bit, but it does not interfere in my relationship. Somedays I get bursts of anger over small things. It has also cured my insomnia. Sometimes I feel dizzy but it is not bad and goes away fast."

Drexil August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've recently gotten off a 2.5 year paxil treatment for my social anxiety. My main issue was sweaty face/body and red face breakout. I was first perscribed 20mg but as nothing changed after 2 months I was put on 40mg. It certainly helped. I was quiet tired in the beginning but it got better. I felt the side effects as I gained over 10kg in the past 1.5, and also I didn't have much of a sex drive and almost impossible to orgasm (I'm Male). Regardless though it helped my life for the better. Unfortunately stopping recently was a bad idea, my anxiety has returned along with a certain feel of depression. I'll be returning to paxil starting tomorrow with 20mg, and see how it goes. Regardless of the side effects etc, it did help me in my life."

Phtoa (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Changed my life. I can function at work--even facilitate meetings-- and have social interactions without the physical "fight or flight" response kicking in. It does make me tired, and there are some sexual side effects, otherwise I would have rated 10."

Some One April 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "About 33 years ago, I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression. Was put on Paxil, and it was brought to my attention, that they actually made me worse...more agitated. As I read these posts, I wonder "sure wish it worked for me, like that!! Need less to say, all these years later, my anxiety is thru the roof...HATE groups or crowds of people...I pretty much either go to work or stay in the house, on days off. Makes me nervous to be around people I don't know. Call me crazy, its like a phobia, and I think it's their stupidity! I'm not prefect, by ANY means....but my word, people these days!"

Tawnyalee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm on paxil one year eight month I'm a new lady really nice and social now I can go anywhere I want the world know I'm a new person thanks paxil to give me my life back."

Minou 67 March 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this for 4 months. A lot of the panic attacks went down but more stress was added. The side effects for me were easier bruising, nausea, fatigue, migraines and etc. It caused me to skip school a lot, and I got behind so it added more and more anxiety and was not worth it. I recommend no medication and therapy for social anxiety, and to help stomach aches and headaches us tiger balm and gin-gins (you can buy them at Whole foods stores"

Social Anxiety User February 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety has been with me since I was 11. I ended up dropping out of both high school and university because I couldn't go to my classes. I used to dread any and all excursions out of the house, no matter how small. I would feel horribly anxious if anything outside of my normal routine came up (doctor's appointments, people coming over, etc). Forget working. I felt so hopeless and didn't want to take prescription medication, but I'm so glad I did. I've been on paroxetine for 4 months and I feel like a different person. I don't drive myself nuts with worry. I started on 10mg and went up to 20mg a month ago. Side effects I've experienced are both drowsiness during the day and insomnia at night. It's worth it. I'm even looking for jobs now!"

UsneaDecay (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seroxat (Paxil) has been amazing for my anxiety so far. I started at 10mg and am now at 30mg. It started to work at 20mg, though I felt a slightly higher dose would be beneficial, and it was. I may step up to 40mg, though I am aware that the additional benefit onto 30mg is minimal, especially considering it is beginning to show beneficial effects. I was previously taking Lustral (Zoloft) at the maximum dose of 200mg, and although it helped my depression immensely, the effect on my anxiety was minimal. Paxil is rather the opposite. Because social anxiety is my main issue, I much prefer Paxil, though if it were depression I would choose Zoloft. I have been on Paxil for over 2 months."

xDan123 October 31, 2015