User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 248 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 52% of those users who reviewed Paroxetine reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Ann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 29, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine): “After being on 30 mg. of Paxil for awhile, it stopped working, and my depression started slowly coming back.”

Mumof3 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2021

“It was good at treating my depression (still is) helped with anxiety and had few side effects. EVERYONE that takes this needs to be aware how difficult it is to come off it. For me the withdrawal we so bad I'm stuck in it. Plus I've been slowly gaining more weight and its impossible to lose it. It messes with blood sugar levels and causes cravings for carbs. Fact! So to some up, take it if you don't mind taking it forever and being a bit overweight”

TyreseTl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine): “This medication has been very potent to improve my anxiety/depression disorders. No more suicidal thoughts, fear, mood swings, shaking, sweating, anxiety(SAD & GAD), and the list goes on. If you're suffering from severe anxiety and depression, then take the Paxil. I am taking 40mg max dose with no side effects. I added BuSpar on top of Paxil and my anxiety has reduced “tremendously”. Some people do have problems with BuSpar but I have great results and I’m loving it. I take 20mg/a day. Life is so great, don’t let your anxiety/depression ruin your life. You’re strong and brave. Please get help. ❤️”

Anonymous February 22, 2010

Paxil (paroxetine): “In the sea of negative reviews which I read before starting Paxil, I saw few positive ones even though I know that there are many, many people for whom this drug has worked wonders. I am one of those people. Diagnosed with severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor started me on 10mg/day and despite minor, minor nausea for the initial 2 weeks, I have not had side effects. My anxiety and depression were vastly improved within that 2-4 week window and I began to feel like my old self. I have experienced no discernible effects on my sex drive, which is a big negative side effect for many reviewers. This drug seems to have been tailor-made for me, I am thankful for its availability, and hope this review helps someone!”

Kenadams00 · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have always felt like something was wrong for as long as I can remember. I think my depression is just normal to me and I've probably been depressed for many years without even knowing, just a feeling that something isn't right. A failed relationship a while back, heightened my realisation that something is wrong and the pain of losing someone close was like a final straw for me. I guess it might be true that everyone comes into your life for a reason, even if it is only meant to be for a short time. After countless months and days googling and doing tests online, trying to figure out what might be wrong with me, I finally got the courage to go see my doctor. After a few visits, he prescribed me Paxil and thinks this might help get me on the right track. You see my depression isn't the usual in that I try to go about my daily life as normal as I can, it's called walking or smiling depression. Behind it all though, I'm crippled with self doubt, negative thoughts, anxiety and constant feeling of sadness. I feel guilty a lot, distance myself from my family and friends regularly and sometimes feel so down I cry for what seems like no reason at all. I put on brave face to people and go about daily life as best I can, but behind the mask I am suffering. I never really felt like I fit in and it's like I have to try to act to be happy in every day situations. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I'm standing behind my shadow. I always look at other people and wonder what it's like to be just happy. I could never bring myself to telling anyone how I really felt, I guess it's only the last year or so that I became more aware and really accepting that something isn't right. It's been so long that I have felt this way, I really don't know what normal is anymore. I have lost 2 girlfriends largely due to my low self esteem and low confidence finally taking its toll on the relationship, it's like I just expected them to leave, who would want to stay with a loser like me is how I portrayed myself to them.. That's probably the hardest pill to swallow through all this. I know if I was mentally stronger, I could have held on to something good. I know I have it in me to go change my life around. Everybody sees it in me, but I feel trapped in my own body and mind. I have a lot of trouble concentrating and I seem to always be so indecisive about what action to take. I guess I'm wondering what I can expect from taking Paxil. I know I'm the only one who can physically make changes, but can I expect to regain some self confidence and motivation, energy etc? I really don't know what to expect from this drug and am apprehensive about what it can actually do for me. I guess part of me just wants to try do everything by myself, but I really don't want to waste another second of my life. I feel like I haven't properly lived for at least the last 5 years of my life. Thank you for reading.”

Skye · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Seems like a lot of people have a good experience with Paxil and I really wish I could say the same. I took it for about 2.5 months and had chronic diarrhea the whole time which only seemed to get worse as time went on. And of course the usual sexual side effects that come with SSRIs. I couldn't handle it anymore, having diarrhea for that long just left me feeling very sick all the time. So I tapered off which is where things have gone from bad to worse. I've never had a problem coming off of any type of medication in my life but this is HORRIBLE. Brain zaps, nightmares, highly increase depression and crying spells. This stuff is freaking poison to my body. I would never recommend this to anyone.”

Amandaaaaa July 14, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “First off I just want to say, please don't be alarmed/afraid when you read that your going to gain a tremendous amount of weight while taking Paxil. Not saying by any means anybody is lying nor the information they provide about this medicine is false. Everybody is different and will receive different results. I almost contacted my physician right away, in demands I obtain a different medication after hearing about the weight gain, however, I gave it a fair chance. I did NOT want to a eat a thing while on Paxil and my friends already noticed I've dropped a significant amount of weight. Please don't avoid this medication because of freight about weight gain because it might very well not happen! My social anxiety also vanished.”

Has too many cats January 3, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “Everyone's experience is different. I was prescribed paxil 20mg for depression /social anxiety. I have been taking it for over a month. I was incredibly afraid to take it but now that I have been taking it I'm really happy I did. This is the best I have been mentally my entire life. I read a lot of negative things on the internet, but that was not my experience. I have more clarity now. I LOST WEIGHT! I'm happy waking up. I sleep amazing. I feel like I don't even have depression anymore. It has helped some with anxiety. I did have negative side effects for the first week, but that passed quickly. If you're like me you looked up things on the internet and got scared. Please listen to your doctor and not the whiney people on the internet.”

KitKat · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on this medication for less than a week and already feel so much better than I did a week ago. Before I was having crying spells multiple times a day, major anxiety, depression, the works. Now I am able to get up, go back to work, and function normally again. I have only been on this medication a few days, but I am extremely thankful for it so far.”

drkatie2 December 22, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on Paxil now for about 10 years. My dosage was 20 milligrams for a long time. Within the last two months I was feeling emotionless. I finally went to my doctor today and described my feelings to her. She changed my dosage to 40 milligrams. I feel better already! If it wasn't for Paxil I would be a basket case like I was before I went on it. I no longer have panic attacks and very little anxiety now. For those who are having a bad experience with Paxil...don't give up. You may need a different dosage or an entirely different antidepressant. Mental fragility is nothing to take lightly. Keep asking for help until you get it. Good luck to all of you.”

Genesis667 January 15, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “Where to start, after losing two family members in a month I went into a deep off the charts depression according to my doctor--I was close to suicide because I felt so horrible, I lost 50lbs in just a few months, could not sleep or sit still. My mind raced from morning till night and I couldn't control it. I was a perfectly normal person prior to this. My doctor gave me Lexapro, HORRIBLE, I had a psychotic episode with that. I found a new doctor who specialized in Depression, he gave me 60mg of Paxil along with 10mg of Valium if needed. It took about 1 week to start feeling better and 3 months until I was my old self. I am still on 45mg 3 years later but am symptom free--I highly recommend Paxil--DON'T LET IT GET TOO BAD----SEEK HELP!”

Papaz · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on this Paxil for 11 years, it didn't help my depression but it managed to ruin my life when I came off it too quickly under the advice of my doctor. Fast forward to present day. I now use a mobility scooter / electric bike due to suffering horrible physical symptoms of CFS /M.E. which were triggered by coming off this drug 11 YEARS AGO. My circadian rhythm is utterly destroyed as is my stamina. I constantly live in a heightened state of hyper arousal. I have no energy and constantly have to meditate 2 hours to get back 20% of the health I used to have. (That is only until the symptoms slowly return with any activity) These drugs are dangerous and wreck lives. I am a real person and the above story is true.”

paxillover · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “Paxil saved my life!! After marriage breakup and 3 children, a newborn and loss of home I went from 60kg to 44kg in 3 months, I couldn't eat or function. Started paxil, 1 month later woke up and felt fantastic, like I could conquered the world, got a job, had baby in day care, sold my car which I used for a house deposit, went for loan, success!! The kids are happy, studied achieved Bachelors degree, ALL WITH THE HELP OF PAXIL!!, please give this wonder drug time to work, took me 1 month and changed my life. Still on Paxil 10 years later and doing well in life, what a miracle drug, where would I have ended up without Paxil...”

l3x · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been taking this for 6 -7 months. It works good for me but when I miss 1 or 2 days my mood it's really high. I will fight or yell, but when I take it to cool down it works. I was 147lbs when I started it and now I'm 127lbs. I have lost a lot and I'm happy. I eat a lot but when I do eat its just a little. Sometime I even forget to drink or eat anything on this pill but I like it as long as I take it everyday I'm happy.”

d.b.cooper September 26, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “1993 I found a doctor that saved my life by prescribing Paxil without it I would be dead now . I suffered from anxiety and depression which I learned it was inherited from my grandfather who killed himself by jumping off an an apartment building . When I grew up in the 50s doctors did not know much . They know so much more now so just ask for help like I did. D.B. COOPER”

dooby dooby doo · Taken for 10 years or more July 30, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “I wish I could say more. "Your comment is too long (3933 characters; maximum 1000 allowed)." I’m so very sorry others experienced less fortunate results, and wish them well. Would very much like to post my full and very real experience. PAXIL and/or generic PAROXETINE saved my life and continues to do so. I just turned 60 and have been taking it since 1994 and it was miraculous. I never ever ever want to feel how I did previously.”

Freddco May 2, 2008

Paxil (paroxetine): “Excellent for depression. I took 20mg daily for 14 years but wanted to see if I could handle life without it. It took me three attempts to wean myself off of Paxil (with my physician's help). The last time I tried (successfully) by cutting the dosage in half for 4 weeks, then every other day for another month, then finally quit taking it. It's been 4 months now and I feel fine. But definitely DO NOT stop taking Paxil all at once - do it gradually. Paxil withdrawal problems are well documented!”

Casey st. · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “It's week three. Let me start by saying this is my third try at a different depression/anxiety med. And it actually seems to be working. Also I've went from 290 at the dr. Office to 276 in 3 weeks I'm 6'2" so it's noticeable. I use to stress eat, now I don't have the urge to constantly eat. I feel, not full, just in hungry and fine with it? Overall I give it a 9/10 the 1 is because it's only been 3 weeks. Kicks in quick(two weeks for me), go all day with no need for xanax or ativan. I'm also alot less angry. Hope this helps, explore all options. Everyone's different! Never lose faith and force a smile :)”

Anonymous February 10, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine): “Paxil has saved my life. After my fathers death, I was in a major depression and suffered for panic attacks for 6 years. I used alcohol and drugs to numb of the reality. I finally decided to get my head straight and started using Paxil 30mg. I feel like a million bucks, everyday I wake up I'm happy and excited for what the day may bring. It does bother me that I have to rely on a drug to feel normal, but it is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I plan on staying on it for the rest of my life. I see it as I have a problem with my brain so I need a pill to fix it, just as a diabetic needs insulin. Thank you Paxil for giving me my life back. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from severe depression & anxiety.”

RenewedAgain · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 26, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “When I started Paxil 7 months ago I was clinically depressed. I had panic attacks that would come several times a day and my body was always tense. I had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was wrecked after an emotional trauma. My brain was on overdrive. Within the first 2 months on Paxil I kept a journal blogging symptoms and changes and after a while I realized I stopped writing altogether. I would always write when I was sad. The medicine kept being more effective as time went on but I eventually got a dose upage from 20mg to 30mg. I have never felt so happy, ever.”

This medicine is awesome · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “Before I was on Paxil,I just felt sad all the time. I felt like crying a lot,I could hardly get through work, I had a loss of interest in activities, I lacked energy, plus most of the other symptoms for major depression (except for thoughts of suicide), I had..and this went on for almost a few years until I finally had enough and sought out the help of a doctor. The doctor prescribed Paxil 20mg once a day, and I swear I have never felt better in my life. I feel like I finally have my life back, and I don't feel sad all the time. Most importantly,I feel like myself again”

Anonymous September 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “A miracle drug for me after taking this med it gave.me the courage and strength to get up and do things it made me see things in a different way..ive been off and on with this med for four years now its the only antidepressant that works for me my anxiety completely went away and i feel like i can go threw with thing called life..”

ash ren · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “I've been taking paroxetine for a week. I haven't felt like thus in years! I feel like myself again! The first few days I experienced nausea and dizzy spells and dry mouth. But now the only side effect is dry mouth. This is a Miracle drug!”

Anonymous September 20, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Listen! Depression is the evil period! Paxil helped me treat my depression but as soon as I determined my symptoms of depression was due to ADHD I decided to get off of it. It's been like living in the depths of a dark pit. Paxil helps you but destroys you. Please please please please please weigh your options. I've been on it for awhile and getting off of it is WORSE! I can and can't suggest this medication or any antidepressant. I urge you to determine what is causing your depression and treat that underlying problem. It will save you from these types of medication that will develop a strong dependence and the minute you do not need them and decide to go off them, it's going to be an absolute WAR! It is possible stay strong, stay positive. Always get second opinions never assume because you owe it to your life. Keep your head up follow your gut instincts and it will all work out for the best!”

Kimera July 31, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I've just started on paxil. Doctor said take in morning but I've been horribly groggy and depressed. So I switched to taking it at night and there's an amazing difference! I'm energetic and I feel good this far. I can organize My thoughts and anxiety seems to be down abit but like I said just the begenning. Weight loss- paxil curbs my appetite!! It's great because I need to lose a lot of weight. I've lost about 6 pounds so far but I am also dieting, exercising, and actively trying to lose weight the appetite suppressant affect just help me a lot!”

mike-e-mike March 26, 2008

Paxil (paroxetine): “This was the best medicine that covered a wide variety of mental disorders. I took this pill 60mg for 6 years. I was then hospitalized on an unrelated matter and the doctor had me taken off of this, abruptly. That was the wrong thing to do, I fell into a deep depression that stayed out of control for 3 weeks. The longest 3 weeks of my life, I could not function at all. BE CAREFUL WHEN STOPPING THIS PILL!!!!!!!!!”

kmspots March 5, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on Paxil for 3 weeks. Previously I was on Lexapro and it worked well, however, I wanted to quit smoking, so was switched to Paxil. I have noticed I am sleeping all night through without getting up at 2 or 3 am and staying up the rest of the night. I do however have the vertigo, but, I have suffered from vertigo for 20 years so I cannot actually attribute that to the Paxil. I also have the appetite loss! I can only eat 1/3 of what I ate previously. So far, so good. I have no problem taking a med for my depression, no different than a heart condition, just much harder to treat! Hoping it keeps going good!”

CP15856 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine): “After about one week I was out and active. Engaging with others again and doing much better at work. I also do not have the desire to sleep all day. I have lost weight also due to increased exercise and a minimal loss of appetite. Side effects are minimal, but sex is impossible. I take Paxil 40mg once a day and Xanax 1mg twice. I am a new person! I tried Prozac, Effexor, Seroquel and Lamictal with few benefits. Paxil is by far the best medicine I have ever tried. I am nervous however when I read about the horrible side effects of missed doses and stopping Paxil. ”