User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Paxil (paroxetine): "I used paxil many, many years ago when going thru a bad divorce and it worked very well. Then after a few years on this stuff it stopped working. Well here I am over 15 years away from these types of meds, I lost my son and went into a deep depression. Not really wanting to go back on SSRI's (paxil) I was convinced by my doc to try paxil again. BAD mistake, after using 20 mg for 5 weeks ...nothing! I went bac even worse! This stuff (paxil) is really BAD. I went cold turkey and went thru 7 days of HELL! But now I can finally say I am off of this type of stuff FOREVER ! and I'm feeling great. I started to look at the good things in my life day by day. This really works."

stuart l. December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Ruined my nervous system and life. Have never recovered from the withdrawal after being on it 11 years. Diagnosed with M.E. / CFS 9 years ago. My stamina / physical abilities are severely limited as I withdrew far too quickly. Doctors do not stress the dangers of withdrawal. I have tried numerous recovery techniques but management of my symptoms is the best I get. My life has changed forever. If you withdraw do it very slowly. Learn from my mistake."

strata76 November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on and off SSRIs for years. Effexor XR and Zoloft caused gastrointestinal and sleep problems. Paxil which I started 6 months ago however has caused no GI issues, and it is for me slightly sedating. My mood has improved without the hypomania caused by other SSRIs. Prior to starting Paxil, I was in fairly deep depressive state. It was nearly impossible for me to experience a positive thought about the future. I also had moderate anxiety. In summary, Paxil might help anyone who experienced GI irritation from other meds, has trouble sleeping, and has some anxiety component to their depression"

CraigsTown November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on it for about 15 years. It was exactly what I needed to combat depression and the behavior that went with it. These days however, I find it makes me very tired. I can spend my entire day off just sleeping and retreating into dreams, almost like hiding. Maybe it's time to find a different drug."

PixiliciousG November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking 10-mg of Paxil for over 20 years and began taking it after surgical menopause in my late 30's. Having dealt with depression/anxiety on and off since I was young, this really transformed my life. My career was very demanding and I was able to have a successful career until retirement a few years ago. I am a professional who worked under very strenuous circumstances and without this medication could probably not have done so. I did not gain weight but have been an exerciser most of my adult life which, incidentally, also helps a great deal with depression. Everyone is different and so is their reaction to medications. This is why it is so important to have a Dr. who continues to follow you."

Monasusie (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 34 years old. and originally started this for Depression & anxiety. Panic attacks I started this medication when I was 20 years old. Yes I have been on it that long!! This medication is severely addictive - it should be banned. I feel dt's so so hard 2 get off. I have tried so many times. I get brain zaps, sweats, panic attacks, hot flushes, dizziness, paranoia, tiredness, anger to be honest first couple years I felt was a miracle drug as I was confined to my bedroom at home. Once started taking this it did help me to move into my own place. Over years I have tried to get off it. And in that process I get so down it's that bad. I be so paranoid can't have kids around me. Thank god my Dr now helping me and I now take buspirone. And slowly coming of paroxetine. Feel have better support now."

Ben2010abc August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "This worked well for my depression and anxiety too, but I was pretty zoned out on it. I slept a lot and struggled with withdrawing from it. Brain zaps for about two weeks while I was trying to sleep. It wasn't fun."

Shatswan August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I didn't like paxil AT ALL! This really made me feel like crap, and made my anxiety depression and really dark thoughts worse, trying to get off of it was also rough."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on Paroxitine approx 4 weeks ago due to a long episode of depression and anxiety. I noticed a difference within about 10 days of starting this medication. A month down the track I feel so much better, almost like a new person."

MilliMilli (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "After coming off Prozac and starting this medication, I gave it about 3 weeks. Worst antidepressant I've ever tried. No other antidepressant EVER affected me this way."

Suicide Watch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for approximately a month for depression & anxiety. It definitely improved things; no more anxiety attacks or constant sad mood anymore. However, it did not help with my social anxiety whatsoever. Going out of the house has become a difficult task along with trying to converse with others as I become extremely uncomfortable and anxious. But, this medication greatly helped turn my mood and thinking around 180 degrees. The side effects have brought me to the point where I just cannot take it anymore. I will sleep 10+ hours and still feel exhausted, struggling to open my eyes. As mentioned, my mood is great now but I feel like I have less motivation to do anything and less emotion altogether. Did not work best for me."

GiannaR June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for about 15 years. Dosage is 20mg per day. I felt relief from my depression symptoms almost immediately, contrary to most other folks. It's been a very good treatment for me. Recently had to up the dosage due to a closed head injury suffered at work. My depression came back hard and crushing. The higher dose (40mg/day) is working very well. I have noticed a lot of folks have reported needing more sleep when on the drug.......... I have had that problem for years. Might be the Paxil. It has not ever interfered with my work life, but boy, it has been hard to get out of bed for years and I never could put my finger on the reason. Good luck to everybody !"

Oilfield (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I previously posted on here in December 2016 when I first started taking them for Depression, Anxiety, Trichtillomania . I was on 30mg of paroxetine until now, I've had to come off them. I've been a complete zombie for 6 months, I slept 12 hours a night, had no interest in doing anything, exercise was impossible. Headaches, snacking, lack of concentration. It was like I still had anxiety just the symptoms were numbed. Since stopping taking this medicine I feel alive. I am still sick but I am able to get up and go to the gym and I only need 8 hours or less sleep. I came off cold turkey, it was very stupid but I needed relief from this med. I'm feeling much more alive. I think I'll need meds again but I won't be using paroxetine (or sertraline or citalopram!)"

KateH90 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil for 19 years, the side effects are becoming too much to bare so recently I attempted to wean from it, I became so physically ill and mentally disturbed I had to be hospitalized and put back up a dose to stop the withdrawals, now I have to take the liquid for to slowly wean off, it is worse then heroin withdrawal and methadone withdrawal both which I have over come cold turkey. I cannot get off this medication and it is sad because I want to have children but pregnancy is a no no while on Paxil, I'm 34 I've been on it since I was 15, I was put on it and never told anything about the addictiveness and withdrawals or any of the problems associated with it, it was a bandaid solution that has become a life long addiction"

Candicane_34 May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from depression and anxiety for the past 7 years. I've tried many anti depressants and this is by far the best. I haven't been able to work in 5 years and I'm not back in full time employment. I'm also down to 20mg from 50mg which is fantastic I can tell you. Yes I put on 5 stone. But some of that was quitting smoking to. But I'm alive. After several attempts at taking my own life. This drug although I have those feelings still. This drug helps me by giving me the boost I need to talk myself out of it. Yay for this tablets!"

Raggner (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was given Paxil 20 mg for depression. I had not taken any antidepressant during my life. My greatest sadness was when my brother died. It stopped working. I know this med is NOT a magic pill. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse. I did NOT do ANY research on this med. My Family Practice MD told me to take 40 mg. Again, I took the med but didn't really feel well on this med. I gained LOTS of weight. I was put on the med because I was depressed and NOT eating. That changed quickly, when I started the Paxil. I finally decided that Paxil was not working for me, I was overweight and I decided to wean from this med. I started educating myself regarding Paxil. Paxil MUST be tapered/weaned. Med can't be stopped abruptly."

Idon'trecommendPAXIL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 47 year old male, and have been using Paroxetine for 3 months, having been prescribed it for severe clinical depression. It is the first time in my life that I have suffered from Mental Illness. In the 6 months prior to properly seeking help I had spiralled to the point where I could not sleep, had anxiety levels through the roof, did not want to speak to anybody, hated everything about life, and fantasized daily of suicide. I started 20mg Paroxetine daily while spending 5 weeks in a Recovery clinic in Jan/Feb. This medication has literally given me a second chance at life. It did take a couple of weeks to kick in, but now my mood is buoyant, and my anxiety is non-existent. Still not sure how it has done it. For me, a miracle pill!"

VeryGrateful April 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 20mg for the last couple of months. It has really helped me in so many ways and I wish I started taking it a long time ago.From almost ending my life to feeling in love with life in just a month. I'm more confident, chatty and I'm doing all the things I wanted to do but was to afraid of doing. The only bad side effect that has stuck is feeling extremely tired early in the evenings and I usually fall asleep watching tv on the couch at about 9pm. I love this drug I truly believe it has saved my life."

Norm82 April 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked excellently for me the only drawback was weight gain was hard to get off"

Natrina March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 40mg paxil one a day for over a year and Never felt right. At first is was bad. I was getting really bad vertigo and nausea. Every night I would have 1 of 3 reoccuring nightmares and night sweats. I just ran out and can't get more, so I'm day 3 cold turkey and feel MISERABLE. Before you take this medicine YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT OTHER OPIONS. Ps. sorry for bad spelling"

Nick96753 March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017