User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Paxil (paroxetine): "A miracle drug for me after taking this med it gave.me the courage and strength to get up and do things it made me see things in a different way..ive been off and on with this med for four years now its the only antidepressant that works for me my anxiety completely went away and i feel like i can go threw with thing called life.."

Anonymous September 25, 2016

"I was put on paroxetine for anxiety and depression and it has helped me so much! I first started out on lexapro which caused me horrible insomnia and suicial thoughts. Which led my doctor to putting me on this medicine instead. It took my body about 3 months to start seeing improvements but I stuck with it and I'm happy I did. My anxiety has gone down significally and my depression has for the most part subsided. I have my days, but who doesn't. I didn't expect medicine to cure it. I first started taking this medicine around dinner time because it makes you feel drowsy, but once my body got used to it, I've been taking it around noon. So glad my doctor prescribed me this medicine. I feel as if I can fully enjoy life now."

Juschu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was prescribed Paxil for situational depression that was pretty severe, merging on PTSD. (I went through a really bad relationship breakup that was traumatic) I also had GAD (general anxiety). I took Paxil for about 8 weeks. It started working right away and I felt so much better I'd say within a day or two. I slept better and woke in the morning without massive anxiety and intrusive thoughts and my depression began to lift. BUT I gained a whopping 20 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on Paxil. It was so awful that I had the doctor wean me off of it . I thought once it was out of my system that the weight would slowly come off but it didn't - I gained another 10 lbs. I think Paxil messes with your metabolism. Will NEVER take it again."

46yrold August 18, 2016

"The drug removed some of the empty 'raw' feeling lonely feeling about life, as well as intrusive wincing thoughts. I find it pretty sedating, can sleep through the weekend if not carefull. Creates a kind of careless numb feeling toward everything, but that can be better than the alternative. For the first few weeks I remember it can increase anxiety a little, have heard many people quit cause of this, and sleeplessness at start. I wonder how bad they really were to start, I kept going because I couldnt go back, reminding myself how it was before starting. Five years seem to drift by, yes it makes life easier, but probabally removes some of the motivation to change, complacency sets in."

hhjjjiijknkk89 August 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I personally WILL NEVER recommend Paxil to ANYONE. It literally ruined my life. At first, I felt that it was ok. But, quickly and suddenly, I started gaining weight. ALOT of weight. Literally, my pants fit one week and did not fix the next week. And that wasn't all. I was feeling much worse. I was very manic. So depressed that I could not get out of bed. My life was work, eat, and sleep. I had no motivation and I started fixating on thoughts of suicide. It wasn't until the unexplained rapid weight gain that I started to ask myself what had changed in my routine. That's when I realized that Paxil was the newest addition to my life and I began doing research. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I still can't lose the weight."

Jenna6281 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

"In comparison to cipralex, which I was on for about 6 months, paroxetine is extremely effective for me. Cipralex put me to sleep, however, I have no adverse effects on paroxetine and feel so much better on the drug. I would say the drug brings me to a state of balance. Not happy, but not sad either and I can live with that. My only concern is that I have gained about 15 pounds in 5 months due to the fact that I eat far more calories than I burn off. I hate the weight gain and my body feels foreign to me with the extra weight, but even so, my mood is so much better I'll take it."

Mindy89 August 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "It makes me tired"

source (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Pacil 30mg is great. I can say finally after 4 months the depression veil has lifted. This drug works great but very slowly. Give it time. It works!!"

Fittykitty August 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Well this is a veeeery strong drug and an effective one but has a lot of side effects and the withdrawal is an absolute nightmare. I started taking paroxetine because of depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The drug has helped me to overcome the crippling anxiety but it also made me emotionaly numb. This numbness is a common side effect for SSRI but in my case it caused an aggravation of depression. While taking paxil I felt like nothing made sense anymore. It was a horrible experience but then again it allowed me to see things more objectively without the overpowering emotional ballast I had before. I stopped taking paroxetine and now I feel like I was on a long vacation from my self and my mind."

xaman July 19, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I strongly recommend Paxil 20 mg for depression this drug has uplifted my mood, and truly suppressed my appetite I have been on it for two weeks and loss four pounds already. The one side effect that I have experience is excessive yarning. Once the dose was adjusted the symptoms has stop."

Foune July 14, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "My husband had prostate cancer and had to have it removed. It was done in a new method where they did not have to cut nerves or uretha. No chemo or bags for urine, he still enjoyed sex although it was trying even with the blue pill. A year later he started having some panic attacks and would start crying over small things. He has always been A very outgoing person and vert talkative and joked with everyone. He retired very abruptly in a year. I kept working for another 5 yrs. I was noticing a change but I let it go. If he wanted something he bought it. If he wanted to do something he did it. If he didn't want to do something, he didnt. He wanted a 40,ooo pickup.he bought it. He's always loved to play poker. I hate this man now."

Kathy chandler July 9, 2016

"Simply an evil drug! I've been on pretty most of them over the years and this turned me near on psychotic making me do things completely out of character, taking me from manic delusions of grandeur, to the depths of hell itself. You name it,i suffered it! Only by the grace of God,did i not kill or injure myself seriously,or others while on it. Some may be ok on it, but i'd say,don't chance it; Avoid it like the plague!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil for 16 yrs and overall it's been a positive in my life. There have been days through the years when anxiety has still arisen. This spring depression returned and my dr increased my dosage from 20-30 mg. After a month my mood stabilized, depression lifted and I've been able to resume enjoying life again. However, last night I drank 3 beers and today have walked around like a zombie. Not worth the after effects!!"

Panzy June 22, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on this for a couple months now it has helped but one issue all I do is sleep."

Bonecrusher (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"Paxil did not work for me unfortunately. I was between 20-30mg and it made my depression worse amd gave me hot flashes. Completely killed any sex drive. Would cry insanely for no reason at all."

alex05cubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "DO NOT EVER TAKE THIS DRUG. long story short, it can cause mania, depersonalization, mood swings, uncontrollable anger, suicidal thoughts and actions, and it can make your depression and anxiety 10 times worse. It also causes permanent damage to the brain by literally stooping your brains ability to produce serotonin by itself. This is one of the oldest SSRI's on the market, and its short half-life make withdrawals the worst thing ever. The withdrawals are similar to heroin withdrawals and last 3-6 months. If you want to seriously fu** up your life and your brain, take this drug."

MikaBBB April 20, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "It's week three. Let me start by saying this is my third try at a different depression/anxiety med. And it actually seems to be working. Also I've went from 290 at the dr. Office to 276 in 3 weeks I'm 6'2" so it's noticeable. I use to stress eat, now I don't have the urge to constantly eat. I feel, not full, just in hungry and fine with it? Overall I give it a 9/10 the 1 is because it's only been 3 weeks. Kicks in quick(two weeks for me), go all day with no need for xanax or ativan. I'm also alot less angry. Hope this helps, explore all options. Everyone's different! Never lose faith and force a smile :)"

Casey st. (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): " In few words - Life changing All negative thoughts change to positive ones And that is a life changing pill I was born depressed really ,with a wierd point of veiw, very critic of everybody, now I am a happy ordinary guy with a beautifull family Something I could not have achieved with out paxil, I take one every day for 23 years The effects goes out just after a glass of wine , so be carefull , quiting the pill in a fast way will cause " rage" yes , you would not recognized your self kind of rage so be carefull. You ar"

Mtoa April 3, 2016

"Started at 10mg quickly moved to 40mg paroxetine erased my anxiety and elevated mood as well increased my energy levels"

Cntx (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I don't know why anyone would prescribe Seroxat for depression. I was given this for anxiety and depression and while it does help my anxiety to some extent, it doesn't work as an 'antidepressant' and actually gives me suicidal tendencies and for that reason I would recommend not taking it for depression. I take 40mg and plan to stop taking Seroxat and choosing something safer and more effective."

Danil123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Very good medication I took and in 3 days my mood improved also I found my self being more social , joking around alot more but it also made me very hyper in extremely talkative now im on the road to recovery"

185303pharmacydude (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil CR for many years with good results. I started at 12.5 Mg and over time have been increased to 25Mg. In the last yr I have found myself depressed 3 or more days a week even though I take my pill religiously every day. In the last few months the 3 days have turned into 5 to 6 and now it doesn't seem to work at all. I was told by my pharmacist that Glaxo had begun production on a generic CR so I agreed to try it. " Wrong Move". I resumed the brand name immediately but I noticed that the generic looks identical to the brand. I may be a skeptic but could Glaxo be bottling generics in label bottles to maximize profits?"

BobbyJM (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Overall I'd say it worked for a bit. Not sure if I should have had my dosage increased when the side effects started back up, or if it was because I messed up my scheduling for taking it. It put my anxiety through the roof. More anxiety than I'd ever had naturally. I got it mostly for depression/possible bipolar, and it worked for the most part until the side effects kicked in, save for the random swells of depression that wouldn't last for more than two hours but felt so much worse than the stable depression I've had for years. I'd recommend it for someone who's better at keeping appointments than I am."

Briana H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil saved my life!! After marriage breakup and 3 children, a newborn and loss of home I went from 60kg to 44kg in 3 months, I couldn't eat or function. Started paxil, 1 month later woke up and felt fantastic, like I could conquered the world, got a job, had baby in day care, sold my car which I used for a house deposit, went for loan, success!! The kids are happy, studied achieved Bachelors degree, ALL WITH THE HELP OF PAXIL!!, please give this wonder drug time to work, took me 1 month and changed my life. Still on Paxil 10 years later and doing well in life, what a miracle drug, where would I have ended up without Paxil..."

paxillover (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm 21 years of age and up to now, I've been taking 20 mg for the past 9 months. Since I was 16 or so I've suffered from, at least in the beginning what some may call 'smiling' depression, and what followed was chronic depression in my 20s. At 17-18 years of age I participated in cognitive behavioural therapy (coping mechanisms). I suffered frequent panic / anxiety attacks, suicidal thoughts, etc. 19-21 went to college. Chronic depression hit hard and they put me on 20 mg Paxil. I have never felt better in my life. Usually it is difficult to realise when one is in such a state, and now that I can see things "clearly", I've excelled in school and in other social conditions. In Europe, the Gov't produces Paxil without a brand name. Cheap."

Lily-Rose January 11, 2016