User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Paxil (paroxetine): "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Recently diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera (a blood cancer), one of the side effects was severe itching for about half an hour after contact with water (morning shower). Started taking a low dose of Peroxetine and the itching reduced considerably after about a week of use. I have now used the medication for a few months and have noticed the additional side effect of having difficulty "completing" when having sex."

Upstate Doug February 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Was prescribed 20mg. Its effect kicked in after 2 weeks. Felt a bit sick for about 2 days in that time. Dry mouth and a bit of pain, diarrhea but that was expected and not too bad. Then the first day of it working I felt great, my concentration was really good, I immediately noticed I was able to enjoy myself, cracking jokes etc. enjoying the hell out of my hobbies but also it was very overwhelming and day after day I got more restless until I stopped sleeping, I just laid down to slowly breathe. I lost over 10 kilos within one week and couldn't stand still or sit for even a few seconds. My mind was constantly working and overthinking things, again and again. It eventually led to psychotic episodes and I had to be rushed to a clinic."

Mr. ELL February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Got headaches and felt tired constantly so I switched to Prozac."

Alex858 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil for about 30 days. The change in my mood has been positive and very gradual. Currently I take Latuda with Paxil at night. I'm not buzzing with joy but my outlook is positive and so I think the Paxil is doing it's job.... I'm just not sure."

SF Depressed Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I absolutely HATED this medication. I have been struggling with panic attacks and major depression since I was younger. I was put on this medication for about a year and my panic attacks were not so often. The downsides of medication Is that I felt little to no emotion, And had ZERO sex drive."

MeowxD January 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "My depression is weird, mostly due to tapering off of and recovering from benzodiazepine dependency. I have awful anhedonia and have been watching my life crumble in slow motion over the past year. I know I needed to do something. The Paxil is a stopgap solution but so far I'm starting to climb my way out. I can't really attest to side effects. The worst I guess is a dry mouth and fuzzy thinking, but honestly, I've been depressed for so long, I can't say my thinking has been that great to begin with. I was afraid it would lower my libido and I'd have anorgasmia, but so far no. My logic is thusly, I may end up losing my job because of "personal problems". Won't it be nice if I can actually handle such an eventuality instead of giving up?"

Encouraging results so far January 21, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Before I was on Paxil,I just felt sad all the time. I felt like crying a lot,I could hardly get through work, I had a loss of interest in activities, I lacked energy, plus most of the other symptoms for major depression (except for thoughts of suicide), I had..and this went on for almost a few years until I finally had enough and sought out the help of a doctor. The doctor prescribed Paxil 20mg once a day, and I swear I have never felt better in my life. I feel like I finally have my life back, and I don't feel sad all the time. Most importantly,I feel like myself again"

This medicine is awesome (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Everyone's experience is different. I was prescribed paxil 20mg for depression /social anxiety. I have been taking it for over a month. I was incredibly afraid to take it but now that I have been taking it I'm really happy I did. This is the best I have been mentally my entire life. I read a lot of negative things on the internet, but that was not my experience. I have more clarity now. I LOST WEIGHT! I'm happy waking up. I sleep amazing. I feel like I don't even have depression anymore. It has helped some with anxiety. I did have negative side effects for the first week, but that passed quickly. If you're like me you looked up things on the internet and got scared. Please listen to your doctor and not the whiney people on the internet."

Has too many cats January 3, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was prescribed Paxil for anxiety & depression when I was 13. Initially, it did all it was promised with few side affects. Over the years it seemed to lose it's effectiveness, but I was afraid to come off it for fear I would be worse off. Finally started the process of weaning myself off it when multiple reports came out saying it was DANGEROUS and had multiple long term effects on teenagers. I had been taking it for nearly a decade. The withdrawals were the worst thing I have experienced in my life. Thought I was dying. My face and limbs didn't feel real. The "zaps". I was nonfunctional, and this lasted months. Please use extreme caution and have someone closely monitor you when you decide to wean off this medication."

FormerPaxilUser (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I switched from Paxil to Paroxetene to save co-pay money. Big mistake. I learned very quickly that the generic is inferior to the brand, and I would not recommend switching. The generic can be manufactured anywhere in the world and the chemical formula differs from one manufacturer to the next. The generic version left me irritable and slightly depressed, even though my Dr. said there was no difference between them. I spent six months of the generic (job stress was the culprit) and then switched permanently to the brand."

Theo 2 December 19, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "This was for my MDD,BPD, and OCD, I hated this. Sick all the time. If I didn't eat, meds made me sick. If I did, they'd screw with my stomach. Everything was worse. Black and white is an understatement. I was significantly worse on these meds than without. Withdrawals were terrible. The only good thing was that insurance covered a lot of it."

RMR08 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Just started this medication about 5 days ago. The thing with me, I've lived a pretty happy life til about 3 years ago. It has gotten worse over time. I've got a medical condition known as Nerofibromatosis. I have a inoperable brain tumor. I recently lost my job cause I couldn't work because of the pain and short temper I have. I lost my gf about 3 years ago. I would always think someone was out to get me. I would strike out for no reason. Just recently I started having suicidal thoughts and just wanted to give up on life. I would cry for no reason. I just wanted to end. Since taking this. It has kinda helped. I get sleepy real quick. I take at night and sleep all night. Hopfully it will continue to help"

What to be happy again November 27, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on SSRIs for six years now. My old one citolopram stopped working so switched to parox about four years ago. At first loved it but the last year side effects are really bad. I have tremors (body jerks) vivid nightmares and suicidal thoughts. I went back to doctor and she upped my dose to 30mg from 20. I do drink once a week heavily but I'm 24 and I don't know how to get around this when its so much part of my culture. Don't know what to do over it still get side effects when don't drink but am scared of changing meds cos of withdrawals of previous SSRI"

SarahIreland (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "A miracle drug for me after taking this med it gave.me the courage and strength to get up and do things it made me see things in a different way..ive been off and on with this med for four years now its the only antidepressant that works for me my anxiety completely went away and i feel like i can go threw with thing called life.."

Anonymous September 25, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was put on paroxetine for anxiety and depression and it has helped me so much! I first started out on lexapro which caused me horrible insomnia and suicial thoughts. Which led my doctor to putting me on this medicine instead. It took my body about 3 months to start seeing improvements but I stuck with it and I'm happy I did. My anxiety has gone down significally and my depression has for the most part subsided. I have my days, but who doesn't. I didn't expect medicine to cure it. I first started taking this medicine around dinner time because it makes you feel drowsy, but once my body got used to it, I've been taking it around noon. So glad my doctor prescribed me this medicine. I feel as if I can fully enjoy life now."

Juschu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was prescribed Paxil for situational depression that was pretty severe, merging on PTSD. (I went through a really bad relationship breakup that was traumatic) I also had GAD (general anxiety). I took Paxil for about 8 weeks. It started working right away and I felt so much better I'd say within a day or two. I slept better and woke in the morning without massive anxiety and intrusive thoughts and my depression began to lift. BUT I gained a whopping 20 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on Paxil. It was so awful that I had the doctor wean me off of it . I thought once it was out of my system that the weight would slowly come off but it didn't - I gained another 10 lbs. I think Paxil messes with your metabolism. Will NEVER take it again."

46yrold August 18, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The drug removed some of the empty 'raw' feeling lonely feeling about life, as well as intrusive wincing thoughts. I find it pretty sedating, can sleep through the weekend if not carefull. Creates a kind of careless numb feeling toward everything, but that can be better than the alternative. For the first few weeks I remember it can increase anxiety a little, have heard many people quit cause of this, and sleeplessness at start. I wonder how bad they really were to start, I kept going because I couldnt go back, reminding myself how it was before starting. Five years seem to drift by, yes it makes life easier, but probabally removes some of the motivation to change, complacency sets in."

hhjjjiijknkk89 August 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I personally WILL NEVER recommend Paxil to ANYONE. It literally ruined my life. At first, I felt that it was ok. But, quickly and suddenly, I started gaining weight. ALOT of weight. Literally, my pants fit one week and did not fix the next week. And that wasn't all. I was feeling much worse. I was very manic. So depressed that I could not get out of bed. My life was work, eat, and sleep. I had no motivation and I started fixating on thoughts of suicide. It wasn't until the unexplained rapid weight gain that I started to ask myself what had changed in my routine. That's when I realized that Paxil was the newest addition to my life and I began doing research. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I still can't lose the weight."

Jenna6281 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"In comparison to cipralex, which I was on for about 6 months, paroxetine is extremely effective for me. Cipralex put me to sleep, however, I have no adverse effects on paroxetine and feel so much better on the drug. I would say the drug brings me to a state of balance. Not happy, but not sad either and I can live with that. My only concern is that I have gained about 15 pounds in 5 months due to the fact that I eat far more calories than I burn off. I hate the weight gain and my body feels foreign to me with the extra weight, but even so, my mood is so much better I'll take it."

Mindy89 August 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "It makes me tired"

source (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Pacil 30mg is great. I can say finally after 4 months the depression veil has lifted. This drug works great but very slowly. Give it time. It works!!"

Fittykitty August 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "Well this is a veeeery strong drug and an effective one but has a lot of side effects and the withdrawal is an absolute nightmare. I started taking paroxetine because of depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The drug has helped me to overcome the crippling anxiety but it also made me emotionaly numb. This numbness is a common side effect for SSRI but in my case it caused an aggravation of depression. While taking paxil I felt like nothing made sense anymore. It was a horrible experience but then again it allowed me to see things more objectively without the overpowering emotional ballast I had before. I stopped taking paroxetine and now I feel like I was on a long vacation from my self and my mind."

xaman July 19, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Paxil (paroxetine): "I strongly recommend Paxil 20 mg for depression this drug has uplifted my mood, and truly suppressed my appetite I have been on it for two weeks and loss four pounds already. The one side effect that I have experience is excessive yarning. Once the dose was adjusted the symptoms has stop."

Foune July 14, 2016