User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Skye · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Seems like a lot of people have a good experience with Paxil and I really wish I could say the same. I took it for about 2.5 months and had chronic diarrhea the whole time which only seemed to get worse as time went on. And of course the usual sexual side effects that come with SSRIs. I couldn't handle it anymore, having diarrhea for that long just left me feeling very sick all the time. So I tapered off which is where things have gone from bad to worse. I've never had a problem coming off of any type of medication in my life but this is HORRIBLE. Brain zaps, nightmares, highly increase depression and crying spells. This stuff is freaking poison to my body. I would never recommend this to anyone.”

Francesca · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I started taking Paroxetine 12,5 mg three months ago. The first 10 days I had lots of side effects: I felt weak, I sweated a lot, I had a feeling that my body was radiating hot from inside (like when you have temperature), and my anguish actually worsened. After two months and a half I can say it did not helped me, I was experiencing lack of motivation and energy, always postponing things, all I wanted to do was to stay in bed. I had to force myself to do things, even simple things as replying a message. So as it produced me a negative effect on my everyday life I decided to stop taking it. My doctor prescribed me Agomelatine (which I guess has not been approved in the US) and I am feeling great! I feel more like myself :) have energy again, and the best part is that is has improved significantly the quality of sleep”

Lishka · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2020

“I have depression and anxiety with PMS. I've been on and off SSRI's for many years. Paroxetine has been excellent for taming mood swings, depression pms and anxiety. It's an easy transition. I have never been better”

Papaz · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on this Paxil for 11 years, it didn't help my depression but it managed to ruin my life when I came off it too quickly under the advice of my doctor. Fast forward to present day. I now use a mobility scooter / electric bike due to suffering horrible physical symptoms of CFS /M.E. which were triggered by coming off this drug 11 YEARS AGO. My circadian rhythm is utterly destroyed as is my stamina. I constantly live in a heightened state of hyper arousal. I have no energy and constantly have to meditate 2 hours to get back 20% of the health I used to have. (That is only until the symptoms slowly return with any activity) These drugs are dangerous and wreck lives. I am a real person and the above story is true.”

KitKat · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on this medication for less than a week and already feel so much better than I did a week ago. Before I was having crying spells multiple times a day, major anxiety, depression, the works. Now I am able to get up, go back to work, and function normally again. I have only been on this medication a few days, but I am extremely thankful for it so far.”

Twitching for life(?) · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I suffer from anxiety, depression, and OCD. I was on the lowest dose of Paxil for a month and almost immediately developed twitching and a vocal tic that comes with the twitch. I had withdrawals after tapering off for about a week (per my doctors instructions) so I had to redo the taper over a month period of time. I’ve been off Paxil for 6 months and continue to have the twitches and vocal tics. I worry this is now a life long issue. It’s embarrassing when I’m in public and keep twitching or making involuntary sounds. I wish I never went on Paxil.”

Star · Taken for 10 years or more January 18, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on this medication Paxil for over 30 years, has worked great for me, but one of the side effects is having GI problems. I have just found out I have IBD, the GI doctor said SSRI'S is the cause of it. Now I have to change my medication from this medication to something else with no SSRI'S in it.”

Detachable Phoenix · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Paxil 37.5mg CR suddenly disabled my sexual functions...completely. No one warned me, I wasn’t aware it could be permanent. There are a growing number of men and women who are destroyed by Paxil. There are better options with side effects that aren’t in the hundreds. I had nearly all of them in a 4 month span. This is day 3 of abruptly stopping. Being alive and in control isn’t easy. It sucks a lot for everyone, make your choice sooner than later, SSRIs can permanently damage your ability to love. Is there a worse side effect than that? I would rather be dead”

Tob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 12, 2020

“Side effects of paroxetine for me are, short memory, strange dreams. I tried many other medications but I heard paroxetine and fluoxetine work differently than other SSRI. It helps with depression and social anxiety. I am on 40mg, My mood is better. Still have depression and social anxiety but not as bad as before.”

Madiro · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2019

“I feel like a new person on paroxetine”

billybilly23 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2019

“1. WITHDRAWAL AND GETTING OFF PAROXITNE (PAXIL). ***The way to avoid this horrendous withdrawal, asking your doctor, is to slowly lower the dose AND AT THE SAME TIME STARTING FLUOXETINE (PROZAC) at a low dose (this process is called 'titration'), then when you have stopped using Paroxetine altogether, come of the fluoxetine (prozac) and you can avoid the vast majority of withdrawals from Paroxetine. Also works with any other antidepressant.*** For example. If you use 40mg of Paroxetine, drop to 30mg while starting 10mg/20mg of Fluoxetine. This works, if you don't know, because Paroxetine (Paxil) has a *SHORT HALF-LIFE* [MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS] of *1-2 days*. This means the rate (speed, time) at which it the drug leaves your body. The drug stays in there even after you completely stop because the chemical Paroxetine hasn't exited the body yet and the speed at which it exists is determined by the HALF-LIFE.”

-- · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “When I was a lot younger under 18 (like 16) when I was put on 15 mg of Paxil. I stopped after a couple months cold turkey because it made me even more suicidal. A couple days after I stopped using it I started getting heart palpitations and I went to the ER and had to stay over night because the getting off Paxil after barely taking it for 2 months made me almost have a stroke and a heart attack at once. Just posting this for those under 18 who were thinking about Paxil. Be careful<3.”

cheekymouse · Taken for 10 years or more November 5, 2019

“I have been on Seroxat 20mg (paroxetine brand) morning for years. It is the only anti-depressant that truly stops me from feeling depressed. I have aspergers too, and it helps with sensory overload/panic attacks. In the Spring/Summer I can get down to 10mg as my depression is very seasonal. I have tried other medications but always end up back on seroxat.”

Vix45 November 3, 2019

“Hi everyone I've been taking Paroxetine 10mg for 3 weeks now and the side effects for the first week was that I was very, very sleepy, drowsy, jittery and nauseous to the point of taking cyclizine which had helped immensely. The other side effect which I was going to quit paroxetine for was the morning nervousness, jittery type feelings and waking up early 4 and 5 in the morning and I cant get back of to sleep. These still remain the same 3 weeks on which is annoying especially on days off from work. The nauseousness has gone but the jittery on edge feelings are still there. I'm going to carry on and see how it goes. If no change after 2 months I'll change to another antidepressant.”

Tales October 30, 2019

“I was prescribed paroxetine 30mg for major depressive disorder. I only started feeling better about 2 weeks after taking it. Overall, it is a good medication for me. People who will take paroxetine, wait at least 2 weeks for the benefits. In the first 5 days, you probably will experience some side effects. I take the pill before go to bed, because it has some sedative effects on me, but in the next day I am very good and can study and work normally.”

babe2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2019

“I have been prescribed every SSRI medication out there and this one is the worst! I have menstrual migraine, migraine/tension headaches, severe anxiety, diagnosed with PTSD, and severe depression that got much, much, much worse on this medicine. I truly think it has made my migraine worse also. I used to not have even a slight headache, now I have a daily, non stop headache/ pain behind my eyes and throbbing neck and headache pain..also I think it gave me suicidal/homicidal ideation. My doctor is weaning me off. The worst part is the weaning off, if I couldn't get to my pharmacy for this refill after 2 days without it I had to send my partner because my head felt so strange I was afraid I might get in a car wreck. It seems to really take away all emotions, I legitimately have not smiled for weeks... I have a young child to take care of, this will not be my life. Talk to someone right away, for me this is not normal at all.”

Revolt12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2019

“Update on my previous post. When Paxil stopped working for me after 17 years I tried Effexor and then Prozac without success. Eventually I tried to go back to Paxil but I had a bad reaction to it. Felt quite ill and SI. Had to discontinue. It’s a shame because it worked great for many years.”

StaceyG September 29, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “A few months ago I was given this medication by my doctor because I was going through severe depression. I took it for 4 days and I couldn’t deal anymore. After 30 mins of taking it I went numb. I then started to cry uncontrollably for about half an hour for no reason. When I went to sleep I started to have brain zaps every time I was falling asleep. My eyes started to roll back and I stopped taking it. 2-3 months later and my anxiety is now way worse. I started having out of body experiences. I am now numb even when working out. I have severe headaches. I regret ever taking this. My brain will never be the same! It cause problems I didn’t even have.”

d.b.cooper September 26, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “1993 I found a doctor that saved my life by prescribing Paxil without it I would be dead now . I suffered from anxiety and depression which I learned it was inherited from my grandfather who killed himself by jumping off an an apartment building . When I grew up in the 50s doctors did not know much . They know so much more now so just ask for help like I did. D.B. COOPER”

Anonymous September 20, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Listen! Depression is the evil period! Paxil helped me treat my depression but as soon as I determined my symptoms of depression was due to ADHD I decided to get off of it. It's been like living in the depths of a dark pit. Paxil helps you but destroys you. Please please please please please weigh your options. I've been on it for awhile and getting off of it is WORSE! I can and can't suggest this medication or any antidepressant. I urge you to determine what is causing your depression and treat that underlying problem. It will save you from these types of medication that will develop a strong dependence and the minute you do not need them and decide to go off them, it's going to be an absolute WAR! It is possible stay strong, stay positive. Always get second opinions never assume because you owe it to your life. Keep your head up follow your gut instincts and it will all work out for the best!”

Anon August 28, 2019

“This drug is not as terrifying as all the reviews say. Just try it for yourself. If you don't like it, change drugs. Paroxetine works wonders for me. I only take 10mg - half the recommended dose. Paroxetine peaks in your body at around 6hrs, so I find if I take this just before bed I sleep through any negative side effects. When starting I just feel a little out of it and headachey for a few days, but not much different to how I feel while depressed anyway. Paroxetine makes me able to function normally, takes away my suicidal thoughts and social anxieties, and allows me to handle difficult situations without wanting to die. The only side effect I experience is less sensation during sex (I'm female) - a small price to pay for not committing suicide. I have cyclical depression so I come on and off this and it IS NOT as bad as everyone says. I feel pretty out of it for about a week, and then back to normal after 2 weeks.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was prescribed Paxil for depression. The drug made me feel severely disoriented and like I wasn't in control; it gave me severe anxiety and made my dark feelings worse. I ended up attempting suicide after taking it. I have since learned that there are thousands of people who had the same experience with this drug. I warn people against taking it, due to the side effects - it nearly cost me my life and was the source of pain and humiliation for many years.”

Kay · Taken for 10 years or more August 1, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Don't take this drug. May help with depression, but it's a very hard drug to get off of. By God's grace alone, I got off it”

Bob54 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

“I was on Paroxetine for several years in my 20's for general anxiety. It worked a treat and I even managed to travel and work overseas shortly after for several years. I got off ok by slowly weaning myself off overtime without issues. 15 years later due to 6 months of chronic pain and then taking benzos for insomnia, depression kicked in. I went back to paroxetine which enabled me to wean myself off Benzos over a month and sorted my depression by week 3. First 2 weeks are rough, it increased anxiety (although maybe benzo withdrawal related - hard to tell) gave me distressing OCD thoughts, worsened dark thoughts and also worsened insomnia (most people should take in the morning). Week 3 was better and week 4 back to almost normal and along with CBT helped insomnia despite decreasing benzo dosage (which was in hindsight probably early signs of depression). I'm a lot more balanced and proactive now. Thoughts of suicide and OCD gone. Anxiety is mild.”

dooby dooby doo · Taken for 10 years or more July 30, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “I wish I could say more. "Your comment is too long (3933 characters; maximum 1000 allowed)." I’m so very sorry others experienced less fortunate results, and wish them well. Would very much like to post my full and very real experience. PAXIL and/or generic PAROXETINE saved my life and continues to do so. I just turned 60 and have been taking it since 1994 and it was miraculous. I never ever ever want to feel how I did previously.”