User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

"I started on Paroxitine approx 4 weeks ago due to a long episode of depression and anxiety. I noticed a difference within about 10 days of starting this medication. A month down the track I feel so much better, almost like a new person."

MilliMilli (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "After coming off Prozac and starting this medication, I gave it about 3 weeks. Worst antidepressant I've ever tried. No other antidepressant EVER affected me this way."

Suicide Watch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for approximately a month for depression & anxiety. It definitely improved things; no more anxiety attacks or constant sad mood anymore. However, it did not help with my social anxiety whatsoever. Going out of the house has become a difficult task along with trying to converse with others as I become extremely uncomfortable and anxious. But, this medication greatly helped turn my mood and thinking around 180 degrees. The side effects have brought me to the point where I just cannot take it anymore. I will sleep 10+ hours and still feel exhausted, struggling to open my eyes. As mentioned, my mood is great now but I feel like I have less motivation to do anything and less emotion altogether. Did not work best for me."

GiannaR June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for about 15 years. Dosage is 20mg per day. I felt relief from my depression symptoms almost immediately, contrary to most other folks. It's been a very good treatment for me. Recently had to up the dosage due to a closed head injury suffered at work. My depression came back hard and crushing. The higher dose (40mg/day) is working very well. I have noticed a lot of folks have reported needing more sleep when on the drug.......... I have had that problem for years. Might be the Paxil. It has not ever interfered with my work life, but boy, it has been hard to get out of bed for years and I never could put my finger on the reason. Good luck to everybody !"

Oilfield (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I previously posted on here in December 2016 when I first started taking them for Depression, Anxiety, Trichtillomania . I was on 30mg of paroxetine until now, I've had to come off them. I've been a complete zombie for 6 months, I slept 12 hours a night, had no interest in doing anything, exercise was impossible. Headaches, snacking, lack of concentration. It was like I still had anxiety just the symptoms were numbed. Since stopping taking this medicine I feel alive. I am still sick but I am able to get up and go to the gym and I only need 8 hours or less sleep. I came off cold turkey, it was very stupid but I needed relief from this med. I'm feeling much more alive. I think I'll need meds again but I won't be using paroxetine (or sertraline or citalopram!)"

KateH90 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil for 19 years, the side effects are becoming too much to bare so recently I attempted to wean from it, I became so physically ill and mentally disturbed I had to be hospitalized and put back up a dose to stop the withdrawals, now I have to take the liquid for to slowly wean off, it is worse then heroin withdrawal and methadone withdrawal both which I have over come cold turkey. I cannot get off this medication and it is sad because I want to have children but pregnancy is a no no while on Paxil, I'm 34 I've been on it since I was 15, I was put on it and never told anything about the addictiveness and withdrawals or any of the problems associated with it, it was a bandaid solution that has become a life long addiction"

Candicane_34 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from depression and anxiety for the past 7 years. I've tried many anti depressants and this is by far the best. I haven't been able to work in 5 years and I'm not back in full time employment. I'm also down to 20mg from 50mg which is fantastic I can tell you. Yes I put on 5 stone. But some of that was quitting smoking to. But I'm alive. After several attempts at taking my own life. This drug although I have those feelings still. This drug helps me by giving me the boost I need to talk myself out of it. Yay for this tablets!"

Raggner (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was given Paxil 20 mg for depression. I had not taken any antidepressant during my life. My greatest sadness was when my brother died. It stopped working. I know this med is NOT a magic pill. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse. I did NOT do ANY research on this med. My Family Practice MD told me to take 40 mg. Again, I took the med but didn't really feel well on this med. I gained LOTS of weight. I was put on the med because I was depressed and NOT eating. That changed quickly, when I started the Paxil. I finally decided that Paxil was not working for me, I was overweight and I decided to wean from this med. I started educating myself regarding Paxil. Paxil MUST be tapered/weaned. Med can't be stopped abruptly."

Idon'trecommendPAXIL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 47 year old male, and have been using Paroxetine for 3 months, having been prescribed it for severe clinical depression. It is the first time in my life that I have suffered from Mental Illness. In the 6 months prior to properly seeking help I had spiralled to the point where I could not sleep, had anxiety levels through the roof, did not want to speak to anybody, hated everything about life, and fantasized daily of suicide. I started 20mg Paroxetine daily while spending 5 weeks in a Recovery clinic in Jan/Feb. This medication has literally given me a second chance at life. It did take a couple of weeks to kick in, but now my mood is buoyant, and my anxiety is non-existent. Still not sure how it has done it. For me, a miracle pill!"

VeryGrateful April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 20mg for the last couple of months. It has really helped me in so many ways and I wish I started taking it a long time ago.From almost ending my life to feeling in love with life in just a month. I'm more confident, chatty and I'm doing all the things I wanted to do but was to afraid of doing. The only bad side effect that has stuck is feeling extremely tired early in the evenings and I usually fall asleep watching tv on the couch at about 9pm. I love this drug I truly believe it has saved my life."

Norm82 April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked excellently for me the only drawback was weight gain was hard to get off"

Natrina March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 40mg paxil one a day for over a year and Never felt right. At first is was bad. I was getting really bad vertigo and nausea. Every night I would have 1 of 3 reoccuring nightmares and night sweats. I just ran out and can't get more, so I'm day 3 cold turkey and feel MISERABLE. Before you take this medicine YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT OTHER OPIONS. Ps. sorry for bad spelling"

Nick96753 March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Recently diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera (a blood cancer), one of the side effects was severe itching for about half an hour after contact with water (morning shower). Started taking a low dose of Peroxetine and the itching reduced considerably after about a week of use. I have now used the medication for a few months and have noticed the additional side effect of having difficulty "completing" when having sex."

Upstate Doug February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed 20mg. Its effect kicked in after 2 weeks. Felt a bit sick for about 2 days in that time. Dry mouth and a bit of pain, diarrhea but that was expected and not too bad. Then the first day of it working I felt great, my concentration was really good, I immediately noticed I was able to enjoy myself, cracking jokes etc. enjoying the hell out of my hobbies but also it was very overwhelming and day after day I got more restless until I stopped sleeping, I just laid down to slowly breathe. I lost over 10 kilos within one week and couldn't stand still or sit for even a few seconds. My mind was constantly working and overthinking things, again and again. It eventually led to psychotic episodes and I had to be rushed to a clinic."

Mr. ELL February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Got headaches and felt tired constantly so I switched to Prozac."

Alex858 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil for about 30 days. The change in my mood has been positive and very gradual. Currently I take Latuda with Paxil at night. I'm not buzzing with joy but my outlook is positive and so I think the Paxil is doing it's job.... I'm just not sure."

SF Depressed Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I absolutely HATED this medication. I have been struggling with panic attacks and major depression since I was younger. I was put on this medication for about a year and my panic attacks were not so often. The downsides of medication Is that I felt little to no emotion, And had ZERO sex drive."

MeowxD January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "My depression is weird, mostly due to tapering off of and recovering from benzodiazepine dependency. I have awful anhedonia and have been watching my life crumble in slow motion over the past year. I know I needed to do something. The Paxil is a stopgap solution but so far I'm starting to climb my way out. I can't really attest to side effects. The worst I guess is a dry mouth and fuzzy thinking, but honestly, I've been depressed for so long, I can't say my thinking has been that great to begin with. I was afraid it would lower my libido and I'd have anorgasmia, but so far no. My logic is thusly, I may end up losing my job because of "personal problems". Won't it be nice if I can actually handle such an eventuality instead of giving up?"

Encouraging results so far January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Before I was on Paxil,I just felt sad all the time. I felt like crying a lot,I could hardly get through work, I had a loss of interest in activities, I lacked energy, plus most of the other symptoms for major depression (except for thoughts of suicide), I had..and this went on for almost a few years until I finally had enough and sought out the help of a doctor. The doctor prescribed Paxil 20mg once a day, and I swear I have never felt better in my life. I feel like I finally have my life back, and I don't feel sad all the time. Most importantly,I feel like myself again"

This medicine is awesome (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Everyone's experience is different. I was prescribed paxil 20mg for depression /social anxiety. I have been taking it for over a month. I was incredibly afraid to take it but now that I have been taking it I'm really happy I did. This is the best I have been mentally my entire life. I read a lot of negative things on the internet, but that was not my experience. I have more clarity now. I LOST WEIGHT! I'm happy waking up. I sleep amazing. I feel like I don't even have depression anymore. It has helped some with anxiety. I did have negative side effects for the first week, but that passed quickly. If you're like me you looked up things on the internet and got scared. Please listen to your doctor and not the whiney people on the internet."

Has too many cats January 3, 2017