User Reviews for Paroxetine (Page 3)

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania

Postmenopausal Symptoms
6.2

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 7.6 903 reviews

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Taken off Escitalopram 10mg which I was on for years and put onto Paroxetine 20mg for generalised anxiety and sleep disorder. Experienced terrible side effects- dizziness and almost fainting, headache, tingling extremeties, nausea, weight loss. I was feeling like a whole different person in general. But nothing was worse than the withdrawal effects. I basically felt like a walking dead person- all of the above plus severe flu-like symptoms- I literally couldn't leave bed for days. Took a couple of weeks to feel good again but had to start taking escitalopram again to get there."

PinkDeanna July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I didn't like paxil AT ALL! This really made me feel like crap, and made my anxiety depression and really dark thoughts worse, trying to get off of it was also rough."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I've always had social anxiety but manageable as I would avoid social situations and worked independently for the most part. I was promoted to a management role and things started getting out of control. I couldn't speak to anymore for any longer than 10 minutes. I would shake uncontrollably and have panic attacks. I thought I would have to quit the dream job I worked towards my whole life. I spoke to my doctor and she put me on Paxil. I'm at 37 mg for 7 weeks now and my life has changed. I can hold meetings within my team. I can speak without having panic attacks. I love this drug. It has saved me from losing my job and my social life."

tazly July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I suffered from BDD, and mental checking. I immediately began to have a reduction in obsessive thoughts. For 3 1/2 years I remained on paxil. Going as high as 25mg which was too high for me and gave me intestinal problems, not to mention wanting to sleep all the time. I finally got down to 12mg, then 10, then 7.5, which was good for 1 1/2, and then finally down to 5. I then made the big mistake of throwing the meds out thinking I had beaten OCD. Within a month and a half the anxiety, obsessions were back like never before. Now back on 10mg I feel like myself again. It's important to remember whenever you start or change a dose it's going to take a few weeks for your brain to adjust. I also take the med at night. All in all a God send."

Acceptance11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was suffering from awful situational anxiety and depression, hard time fully functioning, couldn't eat, sleep, focus, cried every day, was an emotional mess. Dr put me on 20mg Paxil and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take effect. Within a week I felt so much better. I could eat, sleep, stopped crying altogether, and stopped being constantly overly emotional. I did sometimes have a difficult time fully accessing emotions, gained too much weight, and am having trouble with motivation so I'm currently on day 4 of weaning myself off, nothing but mild side effects so far. For me Paxil was extremely helpful to get me through a very difficult time and get me back to functioning so I could keep my job and parent my children."

KLCin July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking paxil 20mg but I just started I'm in five days and I only take 1/2 before bed and at first it was great now I'm still experiencing panic attacks and finding my self crying and seeing and hearing things why did it stop working or what should I do I'm suppose to take 1/2 for seven days then after take the whole one every nite do I need a upper dose or it's not for me IDK what to do some one please let me know what to do"

Anonymous July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Paxil definitely works....... but I went from 120lbs to 148lbs in 6 months... for some, this may not bother them since the medicine does actually work. But for me, I can't deal with it! I've never changed my eating habits, and I get plenty of exercise. My weight have never changed besides a lb here and there for YEARS. It's no doubt this medicine will make you gain weight... you just have to choose whether this side effect outweighs the benefits or not."

EmJReynolds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started on Paroxitine approx 4 weeks ago due to a long episode of depression and anxiety. I noticed a difference within about 10 days of starting this medication. A month down the track I feel so much better, almost like a new person."

MilliMilli (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was prescribed Paxil for three conditions: Anxiety, Depression and OCD. The OCD was only diagnosed a month ago. One of the biggest issues I had with Paxil was that the side effects were a living nightmare for the first 20 days or so... We're talking about nasty trips, confusion, dizziness, fatigue. You name it. I probably suffered it and more. The actual use of Paxil as a form of treatment has been hit and miss. By treating my OCD, I noticed my depression was getting worse. On days where my depression was better my Anxiety would flare up. It was like trying to balance each condition and either way one was going to be playing up. I am now using Paxil in conjunction with other medications for my issues and have to admit this has helped"

Anon20 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Hi...Ive been on Paxil 11 years. Its the only thing that helped my depression and social anxiety disorder. The only side effect I have is weight gain. It will cause withdrawal if you stop taking it for a week which happened once when I didnt get my script refilled. But all in all its helped me greatly. I'd rather have weight gain than severe depression and anxiety and fear of crowds. I give it a 10 for my case."

LadyEcho July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "WORST DRUG EVER! Side effects were body shocks, headaches, worse anxiety, etc. I only took it for three weeks and it caused me to feel numb mentally and emotionally. Drove me nuts! So I went off it and let me tell you... WORST withdrawals ever! Lethargy, bad thoughts, apathy, brain zaps, mood swings, depression, etc. Before you take it, which I DON'T recommend as there are other options, read stories about the withdrawals. Theres so many lawsuits against it. Oh and it induced a mania in me and now I'm stuck on antipsychotics..."

Lela3338 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Back in October 4 , 2015 I had my first severe panic attack I thought I was going to die. I couldn't go to the store and be in line at the cash register and couldn't even drive. My quality of life was really bad at that point. I remember thinking I can't take care of my kids can't even do the things I used to do like go to the park go buy groceries even go to my kids school events I felt horrible. I told my Doctor what has happening I got prescribed paroxetine 20 mg. It saved my life. I know it takes time be patient it's worth it."

Mar12241982 July 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "When I first started taking this It was for pre-menopause I was put on Paxel for hot flashes and night sweats because they were so bad I was having that nearly 50 to 60 hot flashes a day. I now have them about 20 times a day that's on a good day. I cannot take anything with hormones due to a genetic disorder that I have. "

PAULAD96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I grew up with anxiety but as I got older it turned in to social anxiety and really turned me into an ugly person... I started feeling super insecure about my appearance, had uncontrollable obsessive thoughts, weird fantasies, I believed I wasn't normal.... after getting sick of feeling so insecure and anxious, I know something was wrong with me. My doctor prescribed me 10mg of Paxil for the first 2 weeks, and 20mg after. I'm now 4 months and a few days in, and I'm starting to feel much more calmer, my attitude towards life is positive!!I'm starting to talk more in class and it's gradually getting better. The first 2 months where hell"

jeremyyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "The worst possible anti-anxiety medication ever. 14 years of taking it. Not only did it do the opposite of what it was supposed to do, but I became a horrible person to be around. High one day, down the bottom the other, irrational, fearless to a scary point, extreme in everything I did. the side effects were horrific and it took me 3 years to temper it down to stop taking it....But wait; 2 years after quitting this shit, serious side effects came back to haunt me in a terrible way...Yes; 2 years after I stopped taking Paxil. Please, Google Paxil side effects; many people have had the same problem! Stay away from this stuff. Banned in most of Europe for obvious reasons."

Dajo (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I hate this drug so much!! At first is was helping me sleep, and now it's causing so much anxiety, insomnia, Vertigo, panic attacks to the point of feeling paralyzed. My chest feels weird constantly and my vitals are normal. I did end up having a seizure with this medicine!!! I am on 40mg get me off this damn drug! Such bad anxiety and racing thoughts. My brain isn't calm! I can't hardly eat because of the insomnia and anxiety!!!! This is the WORST drug ever. Do not stay on this drug. I'm always sweating with this stupid drug and having anxiety and unable to fully stay asleep. I have so many side effects now. I hate it!!!!"

Herstruly0 July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Lifesaver drug!!!"

Anonymous July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I have to review this medication in hopes women that are suffering with menopausal symptoms may be helped. I read some pretty bad reviews on this drug so I was reluctant to try it. But in the the two weeks that I have taken Brisale my mood has improved and my hot flashes have been reduced to about 1 to 2 a day. Also they are less severe. The night sweats have been reduced to maybe 1 episode per night when before I had 4 to 5. Also my mood is so much better and I feel like my energy has increased. The only drawback is the $200.00 a month cost but I'm increasing my HSA to pay for this drug because I feel so much better."

Joe'smommy June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I just started taking Paxil 10mg (I'm on day 11) and I feel amazing and no side effects. Before Paxil, I wouldn't leave my house and if I had to I would stay within a 15 minute radius from my house. I had crippling panic attacks and nervousness all day long. I lost my job, my 10 yr relationship suffered, I gained weight and lost contact with myself and everything I used to enjoy. Today I decided to up my dose to 20mg. It made me tired but extremely calm. I'm able to drive, run errands, keep up with housework and I am in control of my anxiety with some help of Ativan 1mg if needed. Paxil saved my life and I suggest anyone with GAD,OCD,PTSD and DEPRESSION to seriously consider this drug. God is good and I feel blessed."

SpenceMJ1985 June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I started Paxil approx 3 weeks ago and my life started changing for the better about 2 weeks into it. I feel my social anxiety dissolving, I didn't realize how depressed I was, but life is starting to look so much brighter. I suffered with bad pe which made sexual intimacy impossible, and this has pretty much gone away. I am becoming more outgoing and able to express myself to others and working hard to remove everything in my head which caused my anxiety by talking with my spouse and others in my family. I am also becoming much more comfortable in social situations. I sure hope in continues, because I can't imagine going back to my old self. I had bad nausea and was so tired the first week, but so worth it."

Kt5132 June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I've been on Paxil CR (37.5 mg/day) for 6 years now. I wouldn't even consider going off at the moment. It means I can live a normal life now. This is a wonderful medication."

DRuthH (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I started this for anxiety and depression, mostly social anxiety. It definitely helped with my social anxiety but not in a good way. I swear it caused a personality change. I went from being terrified of talking around people to randomly blurting out weird stuff in class and being squirrelly and hyper. I went from this quiet shy girl to being kind of whacko. I started getting in trouble in class for being disruptive. I was regularly displaying behavior that was inappropriate in public. Weirdest thing ever. I discontinued it and after a little while was back to myself. Not sure how common this is? Very strange."

Made me a different person. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've taken this for 2 days and my heart already races and my anxiety is crippling. I already want off."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "I was suffering from severe hot flashes ever 35-40min all day, severe day AND night sweats, chills, feeling hot & cold at the same time, I was extremely miserable. I could not go to work, my social and love-life came to an abrupt end. I would get soaking wet and had to remove all clothing every 35-40mins. IT WAS HORRIBLE! This went on for 3 months. Everyone kept telling me it was not going to last long, maybe just a few YEARS. In no way was I going to go for years feeling that way. My doctor prescribe Brisdelle 7.5mg 7 weeks ago and my life is 90% back to normal. Once I started taking this medication, the sweats, chills, and severity of the flashes stopped. I only have mild flashes and hopefully they will end. too."

HP66 June 22, 2017