User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 41 ratings for the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 73% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Junie April 30, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was prescribed 12.5 mg of Paxil for PTSD. I have been on it a year. It gave me horrible nightmares and upon awakening I felt so overwhelmed and depressed it was awful. I suffered through this for a year while Drs told me the Paxil would not cause my symptoms. I had never felt this horrible in my life. I finally found a new psychiatrist and told her about my problems with SSRIs. I was put on Trintellix a week ago. Today is the first day in a year that I felt good just waking up in the morning. I hope it lasts. I also am a mental health professional and have some understanding of antidepressants or I would have just given up and believed what the doctors told me about the antidepressants not causing my symptoms. No one really knows how the psychoactive meds work and they can affect any one person differently than another. So my advice is to believe yourself if you think a med is causing you negative side effects and don't give up until you find what works for you.”

Cat on Ice · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on Paxil for PTSD, social anxiety, and depression. It worked wonderfully for me and all my issues. However, I ran out over the weekend and had to wait until Monday to see the doctor and get my prescription filled. The problem with Paxil is it leaves your body in 25 hours. So 25 hours after your last dose TERRIBLE withdrawals kick in. I felt so angry for absolutely no reason. I got ready in the morning and broke my hair dryer, straightener, and brush. While waiting in the doctors office I felt like I was going to scream, cry, or assault random people in the waiting room. So that is what Paxil withdrawal was like for me. None of this is normal for me. When I'm in a low point I usually just feel sad and extremely anxious about being around people.”

AnitaV November 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on Paxil for 13 years. This medication has saved my life. I was prescribed the medication for depression but recently, I was diagnosed with PTSD due to some things that took place when I served in the Marine Corps. I would be dead without this medicine. I am now on 60mg.”

sanchez_squared · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I take Paxil 50mg for PTSD, OCD, anxiety and depression. No drug is a "wonderdrug" but for me, Paxil has been a life saver. No more night terrors, no more shaky hands and sweats. I have been able to function more normally than I have in years. No side effects that bother me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “It makes me sad seeing Paxil get so many bad reviews but every drug effects everyone differently. I was prescribed Paxil 40mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder when I went into a drug recovery treatment center about 2 months ago. Coming into the center I had horrible night terrors/waking up fighting and screaming in my sleep, throughout the day I used to have constant flashbacks and so much anxiety and hopelessness. After 2 months of being on Paxil my anxiety went down tremendously, I barely get night terrors from trauma anymore and I seem to cope much better during the days with my past trauma. Paxil is known to be great for PTSD. The only side effect I had was dilated pupils.”

Nhcoffeegirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 18, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on Paxil now for 10 months, I am on a high dose 40mg. However it is working wonders for me. I love how I feel, and my anxiety is a lot lower than it use to be, and I feel like I can operate in a normal fashion be it at work or out in a social situation. The draw back, is do not run out of your prescription, always be on top of it. I ran out of it, and the withdrawal side effects are not fun, for me I got really depressed and crying, and the headaches are horrible. I realize I will be on this prescription for a very long time. But for those who may not be, make sure you listen to your Dr. when getting off of it. It is not fun when not in your system. Again, Love love how I feel..”

slichtas June 21, 2009

Paxil (paroxetine): “Paxil, not the generic brand is the only antidepressant that's ever worked the best. I have tried dozens of antidepressant's since I lost my husband in an auto accident that we both were in 10 years ago. ”

clrj April 7, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have taken Paxil 10mg for 6 weeks for chronic post traumatic stress disorder. It has helped a lot already decreased my anxiety about 20%. I'm going to try to go up to 20mg and see how much that works, because my anxiety is still moderately high. The only side effect I got from it is sedation, I can take it and soon after I take it I fall asleep. It has also helped my depression, I can now start to function again. With this Paxil I'm almost out of my depression. I also took Celexa before Paxil and it worked for about a year and that was it, so that's why I'm on Paxil now, and it works 10 times better than Celexa.”

Riley · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2020

“I was put on paroxetine for C-PTSD & BPD my dose is 20mg a day. It’s been insanely helpful for depression more than anything in my opinion. It gives me a boost of energy maybe an hour after taking it. I’ve still been on it relatively recently (2 months) but I found it made waking up easier.”

FeelingGood! · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2019

“After years of suffering from anxiety and depression, I finally took my sister's advice to get on medication. 20mg of Paroxetine saved my life and sanity. Now I am calm, focused, no thoughts of suicide, don't lose my temper anymore, I don't get upset at the slightest thing anymore, I sleep like log, I don't suffer from constipation anymore. Although I do feel sometimes like I am lazy, the truth is I've always been LAZY. Depression gave me an excuse to be lazy. It helps to write out TO DO and gratitude lists. When I fought the idea of being on meds it was because I resented the STIGMA of having to take anti-anxiety meds. Now I AM RUNNING TO PHARMACY every 30 days to make sure I get my Paroxetine! In one year, this med has completely changed my life for the better. My relationships have changed too. Feedback from my family and friends is that I have become a happy, well adjusted person, not constantly flying off the handle. Can't say enough about this medication.”

Luna · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I took Paxil for 4 months until the teeth grinding became so unbearable it hurt very badly to eat. So I stopped it. 3 months later I am having the same level of nighttime teeth grinding, which has been causing major health issues. I wake up every morning with a terrible migraine. I read it can cause lifelong teeth grinding. I’ve never done this before taking Paxil.”

lil ol me November 4, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “After suffering for years with untreated PTSD the symptoms kept getting worse. Finally talked with my Dr. about it. Started me on Paxil 20 mg for a couple of months and then increased to 30 mg. I am not "cured", but my anxiety has drastically decreased. I feel almost normal. Paxil has been a God send for me.”

Lenn · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was prescribed Paxil (in conjunction with Valium as needed) to treat PTSD, depression, and anxiety. There are side-effects (the most notable one being a seriously lowered libido) but as a whole this was a very positive experience for me. Paxil gave me the baseline of emotional stability I needed to work through my trauma in therapy without putting myself in danger. Overall this has been a success.”

RachRach24 March 4, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “Took this for almost a year, helped with my panic attacks but made me severely depressed and unstable. DID NOT do well for me. Switched to Zoloft and Abilify and was total 180 turn- should have switched a long time ago. ”

Horrible drug September 24, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “A year ago I was put on Paxil for PTSD, depression, anxiety. All I can say is do your research because this is a mind altering drug. It can put you in a childhood state ,time loss, carefree and not in a good way. DONT TOUCH THIS STUFF. If you do be careful of the major things doctors don't tell you.”

Nameless stranger March 29, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “Great for sleeplessness. That being said, I am more anxious than I have ever been due to side effects. It is difficult to perform a high stress sales job when you are dizzy and nauseous much less try to cope with a headache on top of the other symptoms. All of the symptoms exacerbate the anxiety you are trying to combat. Seems a little counter intuitive to me.”

Ang.S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on this drug for a long time and the only thing I can report is that I felt like a zombie most of the time, was so tired that I could barely function ( lost my job as a result of it ), and had absolutely no desire for sex whatsoever. I rarely felt that I was thoroughly enjoying anything that was going on in my life, it completely numbed me out to a traumatic experience that I should have been dealing with and as a result of being on it I did not fully process that experience until getting off of the medication... That and the withdrawal symptoms were debilitating, and terrible. Brain zaps are not a fun experience and they were bad with this one.”

babyface714 November 23, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on 10mg of Paxil for the first time in my life and it increased my anxiety so bad I missed work went off and I felt good for a week now I'm back to feeling bad and missing more work. I might try Prozac but very nervous.”

Vegas Rose · Taken for 10 years or more May 21, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “Psychiatrist put me back on 25mg ER per day, after using all the others. Xanax withdrawals were the worst. Diazepam for me is much better. Fish Oil capsules help a lot. Prozac caused hair loss. Zoloft horrible. Extended release is the way to go. For sleep I prefer temazapam. Never use diazepam to sleep.”

Nami · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine): “So I started taking Paxil after failed attempts at trying other drugs and it has been the best so far so I wanted to share my experience in order to help others. Paxil helps with avoidance symptoms and intrusive memories unlike other medicines, it was able to help my anxiety a lot honestly too without giving me the feeling of completely changing who I am as a person. I am able to enjoy things and am less concerned about going places. It does tend too make me drowsy for a little when I first wake up and doesn't give me energy (although I'm not as easily tired out). I feel like this medication with the combination of a daily vitamin is the best I've experienced so far.”

Central Coast life September 2, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was put on this medication by my Neurologist. He said it would help pain and boost energy. Anyways I took it several years until my GP took me off cold turkey. I suffered the most agonizing withdrawal symptoms and shortly afterwards suffered a stroke. I blame this medication. Jump to Sept.1, 2017 Another Doctor wants me to start on this poison again. I don't think so. This is extremely dangerous!!”

Martin · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2021

“I have had PTSD since I was 12 following SA. The perpetrator was jailed in 2018 and following the trial I suffered from a relapse of PTSD. During that time I was prescribed Mirtazepine and Venlafaxine which in hindsight I believe only masked my symptoms, ultimately making them worse by 2021. During the whole time I was unable to keep my job as a nurse and my PTSD got so bad I tried to end my life twice ending up in hospital. I researched paroxetine and felt it was worth trying it. I have now been on it for 2 months and I feel better than I have ever felt. It started after a few days and gradually improved over time. I wake up refreshed every morning, thankful to be alive and excited for the day. I am back at the gym most days and have been accepted for a new nursing role which I start next month. Those of you who are at the end of your rope please give it a go. I was pessimistic at the start but now I am 100% certain that, along with therapy and exercise, it has cured me of my PTSD.”

Sam August 1, 2021

“The best anti anxiety medication I’ve ever had. It takes several weeks to notice improvement. I start this med on a 1/4 20mg tablet, increasing by a 1/4 after 4 days, and again until reaching 1 and a half tablets (=60mg) If anxiety increases (about a week in) I also have a 2 week course of Clonazepam as a bridging medication. I don’t take anymore clonazepam as is addictive. By then the paroxetine is taming down the anxiety anyway. Eventually at 6 weeks anxiety and panic is easy to manage. By 8 weeks is non existent. After 6 months I ease back little by little to 3/4 of a tablet (=15mg) and stay in that dose. Side effects lower libido and difficulty reaching climax during sex. However I don’t take it the day before sex and the libido and climax return. I make sure I take paroxetine immediately after sex though as helps not to stay off it too long Another side effect is short term memory loss, but that’s welcome because I don’t want to keep worrying over and over.”

Bee · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2018

“I was prescribed Paroxetine for PTSD, OCD, depression, and anxiety. I took it for 3 months. The only thing it did for me was made me have intense dark thoughts and made me so, so hungry. I had no issues eating before but didn't have an appetite. I don't think I gained any weight but it was ridiculous. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I'm STILL always hungry. I have to say that I'm very sensitive to SSRI's though - my body didn't tolerate Prozac or Lexapro well either.”

Tango6 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 24, 2016

“I take 20mg a day. Has helped with depression, anger and anxiety. Also has helped with stressing over things I shouldn't stress over. I don't mind (as much) going out and being around a lot of people if I have to now. Only negative side effect I've experienced is when having sex its sometimes impossible to orgasm”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder