User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine

Riley · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2020

“I was put on paroxetine for C-PTSD & BPD my dose is 20mg a day. It’s been insanely helpful for depression more than anything in my opinion. It gives me a boost of energy maybe an hour after taking it. I’ve still been on it relatively recently (2 months) but I found it made waking up easier.”

Addie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Best drug ever”

Addie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

“Perfect drug tried cipramil was just horrendous for side effects Aropax is amazing feel like a new woman”

Luna · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I took Paxil for 4 months until the teeth grinding became so unbearable it hurt very badly to eat. So I stopped it. 3 months later I am having the same level of nighttime teeth grinding, which has been causing major health issues. I wake up every morning with a terrible migraine. I read it can cause lifelong teeth grinding. I’ve never done this before taking Paxil.”

Junie April 30, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was prescribed 12.5 mg of Paxil for PTSD. I have been on it a year. It gave me horrible nightmares and upon awakening I felt so overwhelmed and depressed it was awful. I suffered through this for a year while Drs told me the Paxil would not cause my symptoms. I had never felt this horrible in my life. I finally found a new psychiatrist and told her about my problems with SSRIs. I was put on Trintellix a week ago. Today is the first day in a year that I felt good just waking up in the morning. I hope it lasts. I also am a mental health professional and have some understanding of antidepressants or I would have just given up and believed what the doctors told me about the antidepressants not causing my symptoms. No one really knows how the psychoactive meds work and they can affect any one person differently than another. So my advice is to believe yourself if you think a med is causing you negative side effects and don't give up until you find what works for you.”

FeelingGood! · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2019

“After years of suffering from anxiety and depression, I finally took my sister's advice to get on medication. 20mg of Paroxetine saved my life and sanity. Now I am calm, focused, no thoughts of suicide, don't lose my temper anymore, I don't get upset at the slightest thing anymore, I sleep like log, I don't suffer from constipation anymore. Although I do feel sometimes like I am lazy, the truth is I've always been LAZY. Depression gave me an excuse to be lazy. It helps to write out TO DO and gratitude lists. When I fought the idea of being on meds it was because I resented the STIGMA of having to take anti-anxiety meds. Now I AM RUNNING TO PHARMACY every 30 days to make sure I get my Paroxetine! In one year, this med has completely changed my life for the better. My relationships have changed too. Feedback from my family and friends is that I have become a happy, well adjusted person, not constantly flying off the handle. Can't say enough about this medication.”

DVsurvivor · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

“PTSD condition for 10+ years. Doctor's tried Zoloft, Remeron, and Brintellix with too many side effects. PAXIL CR works well for me.”

Vera · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 17, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Been on Paxil for 20 years for PTSD .... saved my life!”

Bee · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2018

“I was prescribed Paroxetine for PTSD, OCD, depression, and anxiety. I took it for 3 months. The only thing it did for me was made me have intense dark thoughts and made me so, so hungry. I had no issues eating before but didn't have an appetite. I don't think I gained any weight but it was ridiculous. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I'm STILL always hungry. I have to say that I'm very sensitive to SSRI's though - my body didn't tolerate Prozac or Lexapro well either.”

Spanishq · Taken for 10 years or more April 5, 2018

“I love paroxetine, I feel fearless and self-confident, can do great on all activities, and much better on job. I really feel I have changed, I am more me than ever before. When iIwas 4 years old i suffered psychological abuse from person who was working at my home. She used to humiliate me, threaten me about killing me and family if I told someone, for about a year. After that, I had horrific nightmares for several years, nocturnal eneuresis, fear to anyone. So I grew up with lot of anxiety and depressive periods, at 18 I fell into a depression for 2 years, til my father, a doctor, prescribed me paroxetine. For 10 years I depended on him for medication. I didn't feel comfortable cause at the end he didn't believe I was ill. So then I started going to other doctor, now I feel I can take my loved paroxetine when I need it. I will take it for life, but I am so happy and I prefer that, it doesn't disturb me anymore.”

Lenn · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was prescribed Paxil (in conjunction with Valium as needed) to treat PTSD, depression, and anxiety. There are side-effects (the most notable one being a seriously lowered libido) but as a whole this was a very positive experience for me. Paxil gave me the baseline of emotional stability I needed to work through my trauma in therapy without putting myself in danger. Overall this has been a success.”

lil ol me November 4, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “After suffering for years with untreated PTSD the symptoms kept getting worse. Finally talked with my Dr. about it. Started me on Paxil 20 mg for a couple of months and then increased to 30 mg. I am not "cured", but my anxiety has drastically decreased. I feel almost normal. Paxil has been a God send for me.”

Horrible drug September 24, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “A year ago I was put on Paxil for PTSD, depression, anxiety. All I can say is do your research because this is a mind altering drug. It can put you in a childhood state ,time loss, carefree and not in a good way. DONT TOUCH THIS STUFF. If you do be careful of the major things doctors don't tell you.”

Central Coast life September 2, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was put on this medication by my Neurologist. He said it would help pain and boost energy. Anyways I took it several years until my GP took me off cold turkey. I suffered the most agonizing withdrawal symptoms and shortly afterwards suffered a stroke. I blame this medication. Jump to Sept.1, 2017 Another Doctor wants me to start on this poison again. I don't think so. This is extremely dangerous!!”

Vegas Rose · Taken for 10 years or more May 21, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “Psychiatrist put me back on 25mg ER per day, after using all the others. Xanax withdrawals were the worst. Diazepam for me is much better. Fish Oil capsules help a lot. Prozac caused hair loss. Zoloft horrible. Extended release is the way to go. For sleep I prefer temazapam. Never use diazepam to sleep.”

Chrisnsnsjs May 3, 2017

“Started working after 2 months, before that I was blushing, almost crying just from stress and panic attacks I stopped it I'm the 3rd month, now after year and I'm starting it again it had great benefits. ”

Ang.S · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on this drug for a long time and the only thing I can report is that I felt like a zombie most of the time, was so tired that I could barely function ( lost my job as a result of it ), and had absolutely no desire for sex whatsoever. I rarely felt that I was thoroughly enjoying anything that was going on in my life, it completely numbed me out to a traumatic experience that I should have been dealing with and as a result of being on it I did not fully process that experience until getting off of the medication... That and the withdrawal symptoms were debilitating, and terrible. Brain zaps are not a fun experience and they were bad with this one.”

Tango6 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 24, 2016

“I take 20mg a day. Has helped with depression, anger and anxiety. Also has helped with stressing over things I shouldn't stress over. I don't mind (as much) going out and being around a lot of people if I have to now. Only negative side effect I've experienced is when having sex its sometimes impossible to orgasm”

Nameless stranger March 29, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “Great for sleeplessness. That being said, I am more anxious than I have ever been due to side effects. It is difficult to perform a high stress sales job when you are dizzy and nauseous much less try to cope with a headache on top of the other symptoms. All of the symptoms exacerbate the anxiety you are trying to combat. Seems a little counter intuitive to me.”

AnitaV November 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on Paxil for 13 years. This medication has saved my life. I was prescribed the medication for depression but recently, I was diagnosed with PTSD due to some things that took place when I served in the Marine Corps. I would be dead without this medicine. I am now on 60mg.”

sanchez_squared · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I take Paxil 50mg for PTSD, OCD, anxiety and depression. No drug is a "wonderdrug" but for me, Paxil has been a life saver. No more night terrors, no more shaky hands and sweats. I have been able to function more normally than I have in years. No side effects that bother me.”

Frenchy69 December 31, 2014

“Suffered from Panic Attacks and some depression because of the panic attacks as I was unable to get back to work for three months. Paroxetine has always worked for me without too much side effect. The first few weeks a little nauseous but then it passed as I got use to it (I started with 20mg and now on 10mg). The only drawback is that I've put on weight (one stone extra in the last 7 years but I would rather be a little overweight and well in my head). I've tried to stop on two occasions in the last 7 years by gradually going down to 5mg and then less and then nothing. On both occasion my body reacted well for about 6 months and then out of nowhere I started to have panic attacks again each time. I've decided to keep taking 10mg.”

babyface714 November 23, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on 10mg of Paxil for the first time in my life and it increased my anxiety so bad I missed work went off and I felt good for a week now I'm back to feeling bad and missing more work. I might try Prozac but very nervous.”

OIF Veteran · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on Celexa for a year and it did nothing. I switched to Paxil and it has helped lessen my symptoms. I am on 40mg.”

m.brown · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “Works fast. After 2 hours will make your mind clear. Like you are a different person.”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder